8.7

1. Dec 17, 2012
    Best Orc kicking simulator I've ever played. Tons of creative ways to kill your opponents, lite RPG elements that don't intrude on the base hack-and-slash gameplay, and what is still probably the best first person melee combat ever. Multiplayer is pretty tacked on but this is still worth picking up today just to experience the single player.
  2. Oct 4, 2011
    Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic. This adaptation of the Source engine, developed by Arkane Studios, is a classic example of a good game that could have been so much more. You take on the role of Sareth, apprentice of the Wizard Phenrig, who is initially tasked with delivering a strange crystal to another wizard, who is in search of the "Skull of Shadows". However, as the story progresses,Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic. This adaptation of the Source engine, developed by Arkane Studios, is a classic example of a good game that could have been so much more. You take on the role of Sareth, apprentice of the Wizard Phenrig, who is initially tasked with delivering a strange crystal to another wizard, who is in search of the "Skull of Shadows". However, as the story progresses, you find yourself entangled in an ancient prophecy that could potentially end the world. This game plays remarkable similar to another Arkane Studios game, Arx Fatalis; so if you liked that game, you can stop reading this review right here because you'll like this game as well. The enviromnents themselves are actually pretty good, even for a game released in 2006. Combat is fast paced and varies greatly depending on whatever weapon types you decide to use. There is a basic skill progression system that allows you to decide what Sareth can do both in and out of combat. With it, you CAN progress down the basic archetypes (Warrior, mage, rogue) or you can mix and match to fit your style. My personal preference is mage; I don't understand why people think it's so weak. Admitedly, it starts out somewhat underpowered, but mid-late game, it becomes unstoppable (Sanctuary FTW). The voice acting is passable and at times is funny and I found myself chuckling more than once. However, this game does come with some serious drawbacks that limit an otherwise flawless game. First off, the game is just too short and while it does a fair job of making you feel like part of the game, the fast pace of the game often leaves you behind. Second, the enemy AI ranges from overly brilliant, to just plain stupid (They can find me hiding in a corner 100 feet away, but they can't think of any other way to attack me besides charging into my kick.). Finally, the limited weapon variety pretty much tells you what weapons you'll be using. Ultimatly though, for its price, this is a fair buy for RPG fans, and they won't be dissapointed. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2012
    The combat system is worth experiencing, but there isn't anything else that really stands out. There are certainly better games out there, but there are also much worse. Give it a shot when it's on sale for a couple bucks.
  4. Nov 13, 2012
    This game has a novel idea, but the gameplay can't make up for the lack of development in the game. I don't feel like my character really got stronger throughout the game. I also feel like certain abilities were much more potent than others. The plot was not very strong, but the animations were good and fluid. However, when all was said and done, I was hoping for the end of the game when IThis game has a novel idea, but the gameplay can't make up for the lack of development in the game. I don't feel like my character really got stronger throughout the game. I also feel like certain abilities were much more potent than others. The plot was not very strong, but the animations were good and fluid. However, when all was said and done, I was hoping for the end of the game when I was about 2/3 the way through. It's like Skyrim Lite, and should only be picked up on a bargain. Expand
  5. Andrew
    Jan 1, 2009
    I gave it the score of a 5 because of two primary reasons: 1.) Yes, I did manage to play through and beat the game on my friend's computer. I was amazed, It's absolutely beautiful. The gameplay is unique, however frustrating at first but that's most new HUD styles.The Kick ability was so much fun I couldn't contain myself. Especially right at the beginning when you can I gave it the score of a 5 because of two primary reasons: 1.) Yes, I did manage to play through and beat the game on my friend's computer. I was amazed, It's absolutely beautiful. The gameplay is unique, however frustrating at first but that's most new HUD styles.The Kick ability was so much fun I couldn't contain myself. Especially right at the beginning when you can kick the Stonehelm guard out the window as he looks down through it. XD Then the story was a bit farfetched but I tend to not notice that until after the game is finished. Voice acting was awesome. Everything was nearly flawless. I swear, I had to get this game for myself... That's where the problem came in and I'm still dealing with it as of now. 2.) I thankfully paid only $7.99 for the game off steam and I was surprised to see it so low. I kept thinking, "What a great bargain for a good game." Only to have to find out that it's a 6.7 gigabite game file and I have a 256k DSL connection... In short, I waited for nearly eleven hours before it finished. I went ahead and restarted the computer just to make sure that it got the updates needed and such and to let my computer allow it access to the internet and all. Well upon starting up, the main UBISOFT logo opening locked up and started to lag majorly, like it was being run off a 1 ghz processor. Here's my setup: 3.0 ghz HT Processor (Intel) 3.25 gigs of ram (4 really but it doesn utilize all of it) 256 mb Nvidia Geforce 7300 GT with latest drivers It didn't run with that. Now I can run Supreme Commander on medium and it plays somewhat smoothly. There's something seriously wrong with the game, Dark Messiah M&M, itself, whether it be the latest update or the coding of the game in general, UBISOFT has officially gone on my "stay away from" list. Expand
  6. AdrianG.
    Mar 16, 2007
    Its very hard to explain my "opinion" on this game so i am just gonna list the pros and cons. pros/ intense combat, great acrobatics, a good platformer, cons/ half the game is a maze, and in some cases just plane annoying.
  7. JohnSmith
    Dec 27, 2006
    Didn't like it. 20 testers could not fix the climb-up and swim, what a shame. And with such a crowd in the acknowledgements and such a sub-standard game, this is lousy execution as well.
  8. JW
    Jan 24, 2007
    It has great graphics fun to play but to short and easy to beat then the end of the game is horrible the movie is like two seconds long and they def could have done a little better.
  9. MehmetT.
    Sep 27, 2007
    The Good: great graphics, great sound effects, and above all; awesome action. Whatever you choose might, stealth or magic, you are sure to have a lot of fun. The Bad: Generic storyline (although sometimes it can get interesting). The Ugly: It's just not a stable game; some people manage to run it fine, but for those people who experience problems the game just gets really frustrating The Good: great graphics, great sound effects, and above all; awesome action. Whatever you choose might, stealth or magic, you are sure to have a lot of fun. The Bad: Generic storyline (although sometimes it can get interesting). The Ugly: It's just not a stable game; some people manage to run it fine, but for those people who experience problems the game just gets really frustrating after a while because you never know when the game will freeze, crash, or slow down to just a few FPS for some weird reason (you have to reload your save game when the FPS drop occurs). If you can get the game the run fine then you are going to have a great time; although make sure you set the game to modest settings because it's a real system hog. If it wasn't for all the technical difficulties and a more original storyline, I would have given this game a score of 9. Expand
  10. Nov 20, 2014
    Might and Magic? Where?! This is a completely linear and fast-paced dungeon rhomb of a Thief game with a bit of magic and there isn't any Might - it's called Strength in this game. No races, no classes, no attributes, no party, no open-world exploration, nothing that justify the use of the Might & Magic brand.

I don't know what the deal is with combat. I played the game with a focus on

I don't know what the deal is with combat. I played the game with a focus on Magic and Archery, because I was never able to make heads or tails of the Melee fights in this game with daggers, swords and staffs, because there is a lot of distracting flamboyant swings and handling on the weapons in between strikes and a general lack of blood splatters and health bars on enemies, which makes it very hard to tell whether I am shadow boxing or actually dealing damage. Eventually, as I felt I wasn't making a difference, I started to use Charm a lot to let my enemies kill each other.

At first it felt a bit like Gothic and it has a bit of the same mechanics where you have to combine strikes with movement keys, but with all the sneaking around in darkness, bows and daggers it started to feel much more like a Thief game. Fortunately enemies makes noise as they talk to each other or themselves, sounds of foot-steps or cripply-crawly noises give away their position so you don't have to sneak around all the time. The most important utility is the rope bow, that you will be using a lot to dodge traps and move on to the next level of whatever..

The graphics and sounds are pretty decent. Looks a bit dated now, of course.

It's not a bad game per se, but it's not a Might & Magic game and without that brand I would never have bothered playing it at all.
  11. Jan 24, 2016
    Fun, fun, fun.
    Surprisingly.
    Fun, fun, fun.
    Surprisingly.

I was hoping for some RPG. What I got is what many will call a FPS, but what I simply call a platformer. Not really my kind of game, and it started with a less than impressive tutorial, yet as soon as the story began I was enjoying it, from the narrative tricks to the scenery design, the pace and the liveliness. It's a game where killing is fun. Killing easily is fun, backstabbing is radical, low-level spells are powerful, a staff is a proper weapon (whereas in other games it's always designed as a wizard limitation,) and your foot is a true catapult.

I'll tell you some flaws, but they don't stop me from playing at all: it's as linear as a platformer can be. It has the occasional invisible obstacle that inexplicably blocks you between 2 planks. And progression might be too quick, as I am already more than satisfied with the full set of thieves skills and a couple of fun spells. That's pretty much the worst I can say.

Casual sneaking and cutting throats at its best.
  12. LiamM.
    Feb 9, 2007
    I love this game its full of good combat and the graphics are stunning unfortunately I got bad bugs when I was playing the game but apart from that I loved the game with its great combat and visual effects this is a thumbs up for me and is recommended by me for all gamers.
  13. AlanV.
    Mar 17, 2008
    Some interesting concepts, but not well executed. Fun through about half of the too-short campaign. Much more HnS than RPG, where monsters are always too hard or too easy. Interesting story, but very predictable, and an ending that lets you down. An interesting experience, but not replayable. Average multiplayer is the final straw. Good for fans of Hack and Slash.
  14. BillB.
    Aug 3, 2008
    As RPGs go this one is not very deep in terms of story or stat building. It's much more of a FPS with RPG elements. That said, it's reasonably solid. Think of it as a not-as-polished medieval version of Half Life 2. Combat system has a learning curve but the game opens with a training level. Once familiar, killing bad guys is very satisfying. Worth it as a bargain bin purchase As RPGs go this one is not very deep in terms of story or stat building. It's much more of a FPS with RPG elements. That said, it's reasonably solid. Think of it as a not-as-polished medieval version of Half Life 2. Combat system has a learning curve but the game opens with a training level. Once familiar, killing bad guys is very satisfying. Worth it as a bargain bin purchase for 20 bucks. Expand
  15. Logan
    Nov 16, 2006
    One thing: IT`S NOT A MIGHT AND MAGIC GAME!, its just dark messiah!. This game got great fps style and all the things you can do is a good thing, but I rather want to play M&M7 with the new feats and graphics from dark messiah.
  16. OmarC.
    Nov 30, 2006
    The game has great graphics and a friendly game play, but the storyline is weak, is a very short game for the expectation it created, not to say the poor performance and the endless bugs.
  17. A.Tiilitehdas
    Oct 27, 2006
    Long load times and lagg, poor programming I say. But good game other wise, maybe patches will help.
  18. EthanL
    Oct 28, 2006
    Waaaay too many bugs. The gameplay is pretty fun, but story is mediocre, and it just didn't keep my attention for long. Overall, it's too overrated.
  19. HowardH.
    Aug 29, 2007
    To start with, the game is awesome. My poor rating is due to the numerous crashes and freezeups I have encountered the short time I've played. I have updated everything and have been in contact a number of times both with Steam and Ubisoft. If I can ever get this resolved, it is definately worth a "10".
  20. MikeS.
    Jan 24, 2008
    It's a very good game (in the time it works). It crashes very often. Very annoying...
  21. AnonymousMC
    Nov 10, 2006
    This game is a more enjoyable experience in some way than other games such as Oblivion & Even Half-Life 2 but is let down by some serious flaws. The game is buggy on most systems I've played it on & even those PC that are exceeding the recommended specs & needs extensive tweaking to get it to work - despite the new patch thats been released for it to fix a long list of problems.This game is a more enjoyable experience in some way than other games such as Oblivion & Even Half-Life 2 but is let down by some serious flaws. The game is buggy on most systems I've played it on & even those PC that are exceeding the recommended specs & needs extensive tweaking to get it to work - despite the new patch thats been released for it to fix a long list of problems.

You might have just bought this game from watching the trailers over the last 18 months while in development and the amazing use the game has put the legendary Source engine to good use. You will have to get used to using the kick key alot for all those high drops to kick the enemies off.

Every time you attack an enemy your adreline bar goes up a bit further to execute 'death' kills that will slow the game down and instantly kill your unlucky victim.

Through each of the tasks you will complete (some are optionally) you will get skill points to use to advance yourself so you get additional skills like more strength, stamina, become invisible or be a wizard of spells.

The physic/ragdolls are over the top and can look like the game hasn't been fully tested and the amount of convient spikes & fires around every corner is suspect and doesn't leave much room for a creative kill. The annoying 'voice' in your head will guide/tell you what to do and its like a bad example of a TomTom GPS nagging every 5 seconds but she does keep her mouth shut for some bits of the game.
    If they fix the bugs so most people can play the game without re-tweaking the game then this would easily get 9/10, but it stays 6/10. Don't play this game until you've played the very short demo otherwise you might waste you money on a game that might even crash your PC.
  22. TerryS.
    Nov 29, 2006
    Far to many bugs at the present. Suffer's from constant CTD's, (Crash to Desktop) to make the game playable. This game should have been thoughly play tested befor release. Wait 6 month's befor buying.
  23. NathalieA.
    Dec 28, 2006
    A repetive, non-complete semi-RPG game that mostly is about playing with the physics engine.
  24. OutOfAmmO
    Dec 3, 2006
    It scores higher than 0 due to the marvelous fighting system. This system should just have been imported into a better game with more depth, better storyline and more diversity. Hopefully some developpers might use this fighting system again. Bonus of the game thou are the constant crashes that tottaly make you loose the feeling of being on an adventure. It just ruins the thrill of the It scores higher than 0 due to the marvelous fighting system. This system should just have been imported into a better game with more depth, better storyline and more diversity. Hopefully some developpers might use this fighting system again. Bonus of the game thou are the constant crashes that tottaly make you loose the feeling of being on an adventure. It just ruins the thrill of the ride. And I might mention that i run with nvidia 7900gtx in SLI and 2 gig of ram and top notch processor. But still i suffer from constant crashing. Sad such a good idea hasnt been worked on more. Fighting system only + Expand
  25. JacobP.
    Oct 28, 2006
    The game is fun, although the voice acting is sometimes poorly done and the plot is as see-through as a thin sheet of greasy paper. Long load times abound, and the skill system makes less of a difference than you would expect. However, combat is visceral and enjoyable, and it is a great looking game. It's worth picking up, but try to get it cheap.
  26. D'Beast
    Apr 22, 2007
    Visually fantastic, easy to learn controls and great flexibility in the way you shape your character. The only letdown is the longivity. The story could have been a bit more padded out, and a few more levels to explore. A merchant along the way may have helped too, with a few items to sell or buy. Apart from that, a good game.
  27. NathanP.
    Nov 11, 2006
    The physical game play is great, but there is quite limited spell/skill selection, and only a spattering of different items. I think I was expecting more complex choice of skills/spells and alot more variety of items.
  28. Skullboy
    Nov 12, 2006
    Really bad launch. Should have been tested more before release. Graphics are nice and certain things you can do in the game will make you sit back and think to yourself. "That was cool." Keeps you playing. Not that long though. Seems to rush you through the game. Fun game. Not sure it was worth $50 bucks.
  29. RaleighL.
    Nov 12, 2006
    Great game, amazing graphics, extremely fun, but it's plagued by glitches and crashing that should've been fixed before releases. Having a game that crashes EVERY SINGLE TIME I play it really takes away from the experience.
  30. mikematrix
    Nov 12, 2006
    as a might and magic game it sucks balls though id compare it to games such as thief cuz this is not might and magic ubi soft has raped the game all the hell what were they thinking this game should be called might or magic or at least a spin off of the clasic game not this joke though the game its self is wonderfull and brings new ideas and inovation i cant help but stress this enoughas a might and magic game it sucks balls though id compare it to games such as thief cuz this is not might and magic ubi soft has raped the game all the hell what were they thinking this game should be called might or magic or at least a spin off of the clasic game not this joke though the game its self is wonderfull and brings new ideas and inovation i cant help but stress this enough this is not might and magic its a cheep rip off that has no right to have the name might and magic in its title and id love to slap the guy that called this game might and magic Expand
  31. Dec 29, 2015
    I enjoyned this game back in 2006 and decided to replay it recently, this game was a gem back in those times, it has a pretty short story, but the fast paced combat made this game very enjoynable, but being realistic it's a very simple concept, as we have a lineal game where we advance through maps like Half-Life, this game is powered by Source Engine, Dark Messiah of Might and MagicI enjoyned this game back in 2006 and decided to replay it recently, this game was a gem back in those times, it has a pretty short story, but the fast paced combat made this game very enjoynable, but being realistic it's a very simple concept, as we have a lineal game where we advance through maps like Half-Life, this game is powered by Source Engine, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic offers pretty good graphics for the era (2006) and to me, even in 2015 still looks good, considering from which era comes from, the Inventory and Leveling System are pretty simple too, as they are adapted to be a short tree of perks and three stats: Magicka, Stamina and Constitution. Expand

1. PC Gamer UK
    There's really nothing that can match Dark Messiah's combat. The mixture of weaponry and convincingly cause-and-effect physics really does take first-person fighting to new places. [Nov 2006, p.62]
  2. If the game suffers, it's from over-explanation, the occasional lapse in the combat, and the repetitive nature of the environmental weaponry. But I was kept entertained all the way through, and I've never felt so directy responsible for chopping off a goblin's arm. [Dec 2006, p.70]
  3. PC Format
    An outstanding experience. It manages to create a constant sense of threat, includes some stunning set-pieces, and introduces a cast of breathtaking beasts, all within a combat system that is one of the most versatile and violent we have ever seen. [Dec 2006, p.98]