Dark Souls II PC

7.2

1. Apr 27, 2014
    I've never done this before, but Dark Souls 2 deserves creating an account and submitting a review.

I'm not going to address the technical issues the pc port is facing, or the quality of ingame graphics. It's a separate problem and I hope Namco Bandai will face some consequences of their false advertisement/bate and switch tactics. Dark Souls 2 is not a Souls game. It's as simple as

Dark Souls 2 is not a Souls game. It's as simple as that. It's missing everything that made the previous games so special. Starting with the controls, combat mechanics, loot system, game world, boss fights and ending with the difficulty level. It's all gone. Replaced with mechanics that try to "innovate"and remain similar to the previous game at the same time.

The controls feel clunky and unresponsive. The character seems "heavy" and the movement is sluggish. Where in previous games the overall rules applied to both the player and the enemies. In Dark Souls 2 there's a different set of rules (stamina, poise, movement etc) for the player and the monsters. Some will have infinite stamina and spam heavy attacks to no end. Other's will "track" your movement in the middle of their attack animation. We're talking about spinning 360 degrees while "channeling" their attack. Some will even go as far as to reset the attack animation and hit you when they should be recovering from their last attack.

The world design is inconsistent and seems out of place. One minute you're fighting a boss in a giant mill just to take the elevator up to the iron keep. The problem is - there's no keep above the mill. Level design is poor at best and the multitude of bon fires makes little sense. In some cases you'll have 4 of them in an area the size of Undead Asylum. You'll find yourself fighting 4 of the most powerful demons in the land to overcome a bit of rubble blocking the way in the forest...

Instead of creating interesting enemies From decided to toss a bunch of mobs at you to make up what they lack in design with numbers. The difficulty doesn't come from good design choices but cheap gimmicks. Enemies attacking you through doors or a gate. Bosses with adds during the fight, bosses that "multiply" during the fight. It's all based on cheesy gimmicks. Even the fights that suppose to resemble if not imitate boss fights from the previous game are simply boring.

Deaths feel cheap. It feels like the game is trolling you by not following it's own rules. The concept of having to die in order to get loot has no place in a Souls game.

Overall the game is a huge disappointment.

It's got as much in common with previous Souls games as Resident Evil 6 has with the original Resident Evil ;)

An average imitation at best.
  2. Apr 28, 2014
    Great game and the PC port is good, although you should still play with a gamepad and it clearly looks like a port. It's still the best version out there and I recommend the graphics mod called GeDoSaTo DS2 Edition because the original graphics are also clearly a port of the lesser console graphics.
    The new multiplayer options are great and offer a nice diversion from the core gameplay.
    White screen crash was fixed in a timely manner.
  3. Apr 28, 2014
    I am re-doing my review since the patch today making the game actually PLAYABLE. Plus, I had to wait for 3 days after i pre-ordered the game 3 months ago just to run it properly. The keyboard and mouse controls are alright once you get used to them. The binding is really difficult to do, and the camera is clunky. The menu's still have Xbox 360 controller buttons instead of actual PCI am re-doing my review since the patch today making the game actually PLAYABLE. Plus, I had to wait for 3 days after i pre-ordered the game 3 months ago just to run it properly. The keyboard and mouse controls are alright once you get used to them. The binding is really difficult to do, and the camera is clunky. The menu's still have Xbox 360 controller buttons instead of actual PC key-binds which is ridiculous. They said it would be a decent port, but it's barely better than the consoles. The only thing great about the game that's different is the graphics and fps which is improved from consoles. If you wish to play this with a controller, it's worth it more than 360 or PS3. HOWEVER, I SHOULDN'T BE FORCED TO PLAY ON A CONTROLLER. If a game is released on a PC, I expect, no I demand that the controls are actually worth using. I didn't buy Dark Souls II on PC to play it with a controller. Expand
  4. Apr 28, 2014
    I made this account just for this game. Pre ordered it 2 months before release. For the first four days I couldn't even start it due to White Screen of Death (crash during startup).

Now the game has been fixed.

Gameplay wise this is a great game. But the company's false advertising (graphics, lighting etc) forces me to keep my score down.

5. Apr 28, 2014
    Post-patch review: The game lacks the vision and the stellar game design from the first Dark Souls game. What you're left with is a mediocre hack and slash action romp that looks at times like a PS2 game.

Claims made about Dark Souls 2 being developed for the PC natively have turned out to be another marketing gimmick and a bold faced lie. Not a grain of critique was spent on the gaming press about the obvious bad keyboard and mouse controls, that on top of everything else, have almost a half a second delay on every action you take. Xbox controller icons are left in place from the Xbox, proving that the game is just another quick console port. Nowhere it is explained, that you need a controller to properly play the title on PC, which makes sense from a marketing perspective. It should be made clear, that the PC gamer will have to put another 20 euros towards the title in the form of a Xbox controller, but it isn't.

Don't believe the fan-boy hype. This is not a PC game, but a bad console port of a game which is overshadowed by the brilliance of the original Dark Souls.
  6. Apr 28, 2014
    Game has been updated and seems to work for most now. I haven´t played for long yet, but from what I saw I´d give the game a 10/10 minus one point each for graphics (only slightly improved from DaS1) and controls (I use a Xbox-controller, so they are fine for me, but even when using mouse/keyboard the games always displays the Xbox buttons solely, which is unlikely to be fine for everyone).
  7. Apr 28, 2014
    Revising my first review. Patch fixed everything. Game looks and plays fantastic. It's Dark Souls 2, you will die alot and get angry. But you will have fun while doing so.
  8. Apr 29, 2014
    This game would be a solid 10/10 if the PC port wasn't broken. I had to go through various forums and plenty methods to even run the game, which is unforgettable for a 50€ release. Huge amount of people still cant get it to run, I was lucky to get it resolved.

Apart from that, game is great so far.
  9. Apr 26, 2014
    Now have serious bugs (I have to switch down the HDMI port every times when I run the game, and only run in windowed mode not fullscreen).

The diminishing healthbar and the evaporing enemies are really annoying, but it is a great game, when they fix the starting bugs I will change the rate.
  10. Apr 26, 2014
    I picked up the first Dark Souls on Steam and liked it, the only problem i had with the game was the controls for PC. Now with the release of Dark Souls 2 we were promised a more polished PC version with better graphics and - here is the big one - working controls. So did they deliver? Short answer NO , Long answer NO. Default controls are near unplayable , controller buttons everywhere "I picked up the first Dark Souls on Steam and liked it, the only problem i had with the game was the controls for PC. Now with the release of Dark Souls 2 we were promised a more polished PC version with better graphics and - here is the big one - working controls. So did they deliver? Short answer NO , Long answer NO. Default controls are near unplayable , controller buttons everywhere " press A to this , press B to that" . But dont worry , just rebind your keys , right?? NO. Trying to rebind the keys is painfull at best and once you are done you are left with a half decent experience. I loved the first Dark Souls and plot/gameplay wise Dark Souls 2 looks promising. But as a PC gamer i feel cheated and lied to when it is blatantly obvious that no extra effort was put into making this a positive experience for PC gamers. Expand
  11. Apr 26, 2014
    Terrible launch, can't even start the game.
    PC gamers were waiting for a "special" release, but not of this kind ... However, to pre-order and take money, there's no bug.
  12. Apr 27, 2014
    This game is not much fun anymore. It's either input lag or the unfair packs like the Three Sentinels. I don't like to summon people to beat the game, but this one leaves me no other choice - unlike DS1. And that makes me sad and angry. The input lag is annoying as hell. You block at 100% stamina and simple enemies slay through it. The game feels stable, but the fights don't feel balanced.This game is not much fun anymore. It's either input lag or the unfair packs like the Three Sentinels. I don't like to summon people to beat the game, but this one leaves me no other choice - unlike DS1. And that makes me sad and angry. The input lag is annoying as hell. You block at 100% stamina and simple enemies slay through it. The game feels stable, but the fights don't feel balanced. It just so frustrating. I know, the game is ment to be hard. I beat DS1 several times. But this one is has not the same feeling. I'm always feeling like being cheated by the engine.

Another big issue is the bad durability of weapons. Having a favorite weapon for PvE is almost impossible, because durability is soooo low. I always find myself fighting mobs with my favorite, leveled weapon until they vanish (after 10 - 15 kills) so I can reach a boss with this weapon. And why the hell, don't enemies do damage to themself in close ranges?!!

Another big issue is PvP. Too often, the lagging decides who the winner is. Lagstabs, teleports and taking damage after having dodged ten meters away becomes the norm. And you can call yourself lucky not to meet a hacker, because the PC platform is already infested with them. The game has no cheat countermeasures in place. (Why not make the client verify actions on both ends, compare them and just quit the duel when the comparison is negative?) It comes down to use a dashcam (record the PvP matches) and report the hackers to Steam along with a YouTube video.

The overall map design feels less creative than in DS1. The zones are more separated so there is not that experience anymore, that you can look from one end of the world to the other. I liked that flavor of DS1 very much and it added to the atmosphere. In DS1 the zones felt like they really belong together.

I hope, FromSoftware will deploy some patches to address the input lag and the PvP lagging. Right now, after 40 hours into the game, I'll take a longer break and wait for patches.
  13. Apr 28, 2014
    UPDATE: The other review was negative,because the game didn't work.
    Finally the game it's working,(after the update) and All I can say,it's awesome,beautiful,incredible and more hard than before.
    The multiplayer finally get fixed,now the connection it's super-fast and really good,good job from software.
  14. Apr 26, 2014
    The game is a fantastic port, let's start with the worst and advance to the less interesting problems:
    -the game refuses to start up (crashes with white screen) for TONS of people
    -even when it starts the new game loading screen freezes -game freezes when intro needs to be playing -people who got banned in other games received a ban for dark souls 2 (absolutely unheard of) -the
    -the game refuses to start up (crashes with white screen) for TONS of people
    -even when it starts the new game loading screen freezes
    -game freezes when intro needs to be playing
    -the controllers connected to pc refuse to work
    -the keyboard+mouse controlls refuse to work
    -the keyboard controlls are **** even when they work: holding shift prevents you from clicking etc...
  15. Apr 26, 2014
    I am here to represent the over 1k players from steam who is not getting any help from developers of the game, we get a random bug that dont let us play the game, we are trying to get attention over our problem for more then 50 hours since the release and nothing at all, we decided to yell our voice to another sites, we are making a critic not about the game itself because we cant EVEN logI am here to represent the over 1k players from steam who is not getting any help from developers of the game, we get a random bug that dont let us play the game, we are trying to get attention over our problem for more then 50 hours since the release and nothing at all, we decided to yell our voice to another sites, we are making a critic not about the game itself because we cant EVEN log in, we are here to tell how disappointing is the support from the developers.
    We paid for that we deserve the same thing as others, but seens the primary atribute to play the game is have the luck to get a copy without any bug, i will never spend my money on products of your company again!
  16. Apr 30, 2014
    UPDATE: The other review was negative,because the game didn't work.
  17. Apr 26, 2014
    I imagine this would be a really fun game if it worked. I trust in their ability to make a fun game. The problem is that for many people the game does not work at all. When you try to start the game it pops up as a white screen then crashes within 10 seconds. So far the only workarounds have come from the community and even then they don't always work. Considering they supposedly 'built itI imagine this would be a really fun game if it worked. I trust in their ability to make a fun game. The problem is that for many people the game does not work at all. When you try to start the game it pops up as a white screen then crashes within 10 seconds. So far the only workarounds have come from the community and even then they don't always work. Considering they supposedly 'built it for the pc first' this kind of thing is really unacceptable. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to play the game we payed for. We didn't pay $50 so we could troubleshoot/beta test their game. We payed for a product and we currently have no access to it despite it being released. If you're thinking of buying this game for PC, don't. Wait for them to fix whatever they screwed up. There is no point in buying it now unless you want to play 'Waiting Simulator: Broken Edition'. Expand
  18. Apr 26, 2014
    I was so excited to play DS2 this morning but found myself shouting at the screen in under 5 mins.

The graphics are awful - games released 3 years ago look better. The sound is awful - walk through long grass and it sounds as if you're rattling through your cutlery drawer. But worse of all; the controls are awful. On screen hints tell you to press the green 'A' or the blue 'X'.

The graphics are awful - games released 3 years ago look better.

But worse of all; the controls are awful. On screen hints tell you to press the green 'A' or the blue 'X'. Want to go up a ladder? In every other PC game you walk in to a ladder and start to climb. In DS2 it's ctrl-left click. Why would they make it so awkward? I tried to swap weapons and ended up consuming a good portion of the healing stones.

Another bad part worth mentioning is the combat. It's .... awful. You can lock your target by pressing the middle mouse button, but it doesn't really make much difference. I created a cleric and armed myself with a great big metal mace and picked a fight with a little old lady cooking a meal (I'm very brave, I know). She beat me to death with her ladle. Not once but many times. So many times in fact I had to roll a new character to get past the point.

In short this is not worth buying on the PC. For the consoles maybe, but not the PC.
  19. Apr 26, 2014
    This game is so ****ing hard that i cant even launch it. I guess they deliver the difficulty they promised. Yeah, the 0 goes to the company, not to the game.
  20. May 3, 2014
    After finally being able to start the game after the first patch it turned out to be just as good as Demons Souls and Dark Souls, its a truly fantastic game.
  21. Apr 26, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is all about challenge, they said. Well, the only challenge this game is posing now is how to make it work properly. PC will be lead platform, they said.
  22. Apr 26, 2014
    they don't even put the pc controls on the menus. and even if they did i cant even start the game to see the change because of the crashing. this was a bad buy.
  23. Apr 26, 2014
    I'm amazed how can such a bad port receive so good reviews.
    I can't even play the first 15 minutes of the game with mouse+keyboard, the game does not respond correctly to any of my controls inputs, is this a bad joke?
    Wortst pile of garbage I bought this year yet. If you value your money stay away.
  24. Apr 26, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is currently an unplayable mess for many, and plagued by bugs such as terrible keyboard/mouse controls that lag pretty badly.
    The game gets a 0 out of 10 not only for being unplayable/broken but also for a lack of proper support and communication from the developers, as well as how long it's taking them to issue a fix.
  25. Apr 26, 2014
    This is one of the worst PC ports I have seen in years. The game can be somewhat configured to use a keyboard and mouse, but the interface does not acknowledge this (which generates a lot of confusion while playing). Many of the bound combinations are geared to console playing. Just terrible. Got sick of playing it after a few hours. Save your money. Wish I had...
  26. May 4, 2014
    I'd reviewed the game once, but since then I've managed to play it a bit more and managed to get further. I didn't beat it, but I played for 12 hours total before quitting. I'm still disappointed by how the game turned out and only gets one point more this time, but I want to review it once more from scratch because I want to make the review better, more comprehensible and I want to expandI'd reviewed the game once, but since then I've managed to play it a bit more and managed to get further. I didn't beat it, but I played for 12 hours total before quitting. I'm still disappointed by how the game turned out and only gets one point more this time, but I want to review it once more from scratch because I want to make the review better, more comprehensible and I want to expand it a little.

The game, as a sequel to Dark Souls, feels disappointing. It was stripped down of everything that made Dark Souls 1 good and went through major changes that, for the most part, are changes for the worse. But, let's start with the pros first.

Some of the mechanics are executed far better than in the former game. I really liked the presence of Human Effigies as a cure to hollowing instead of "liquid" and "soft" humanity that could be acquired pretty quickly, but also could be lost by one fatal mistake. In Dark Souls 2, when you die you lose your human form, but you can reverse the hollowing with ease - you don't even have to go back to the bonfire; you can do it immediately.

Another thing is that the locations are far larger than they were in Dark Souls 1 so there's a lot more to explore. They are branched too, so very often you can get to the boss by many ways. Plus, some of the locations are truly breathtaking and atmospheric. I'm especially talking about No-man's Wharf and Harvest Valley with astonishing view on the humongous and abstract windmill. This is, unfortunately, too little to make me enjoy the game and give it a higher score, as numerous flaws overshadowed every good aspect the game had.

Now for the flaws.

Let's start with the key element and core of every Souls game - the combat system. In Dark Souls 1, the combat was very precise. The slow pace of battles and well-made-but-not-perfect animations made you "feel" the weight of the equipment, making it a major part of making up tactics against an enemy and your playstyle in general. When you wanted to be a knight armed to the teeth, fighting with a sword bigger than yourself, it was obvious that you had to sacrifice mobility for it, while choosing a leather armor and a scimitar was the exact opposite. In Dark Souls 2 it doesn't matter - every piece of the equipment feels super-light and the only thing indicating you actually travel heavy is the rolling speed - and it feels very forced.

The difficulty - another key element of the Souls series, and something it is always proud of. Dark Souls 1 was really unique in this aspect - it was hard and punishing, but very fair at the same time; you always knew what you did wrong and could learn from your mistakes. Dark Souls 2 is nothing like that. After a few deaths you start to notice that most of them weren't your fault, but the game's. The difficulty was amped up just for the sake of being hard, while forgetting to add fairness along the way. You often die from being outnumbered by groups enemies that "aggro" all at the same and stunlock you to death or cheap tricks, like mummies in Lost Bastille that can explode and get back on their feet as many times as they want. There's also tracking of your moves present in the enemy AI - they spin around following you during every second of their attack animation, giving you next to no chance to dodge. And to make things even more "exciting", your character's movements are now clunky and awkward - he gets tired really quickly and can't dodge properly.

Now, the atmosphere. Dark Souls 2 lacks certain peculiarity Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 had, giving you generic Dark Fantasy stuff in the veins of Gothic series. Now, it wouldn't be too bad if it had any soul (pun not intended) - despite what I've stated above, almost all locations feel bland and uninspired. Most of the them are either a forest, a castle or something trying too hard to mimic a location from the first game. Literally, none of these made any impression on me, aside from boredom. Another thing is - why are you even in Drangleic. You don't have any purpose of being there, aside from looking for alleged cure for the curse, which you are told right at the beginning, doesn't exist.

The level design in this game is absolutely terrible. Aside from the blandness, the locations' arrangement in the world map makes no sense or logic whatsoever. The creators went for Demon Souls-esque hub world with the central point being Majula. It's not a bad thing, if executed properly, but in this game, the locations feel very disconnected. They are always preceeded either a tunnel or a cave and there's no smooth transition between them.

Concluding - Dark Souls II is a pretty average game with many technical difficulties and quirky, badly executed mechanics, that may be good for die-hard fans of the series, but for an average gamer, who likes challenging games, it's too unbalanced and badly-made to be enjoyed. Hence only a 5/10.
  27. Apr 26, 2014
    The first thing you encounter is a door. A prompt comes up "press B". This door proves to be a unquenchable bastard. I've tried all the common keys WADS QEFR. Nothing. So I tried attacking the door. Nothing. I can't get past it. I should have listened when then said Dark Souls 2 was just a hard as Dark Souls 1. I find myself puzzled as I look at my Dark Souls 2 for PC box for some clue onThe first thing you encounter is a door. A prompt comes up "press B". This door proves to be a unquenchable bastard. I've tried all the common keys WADS QEFR. Nothing. So I tried attacking the door. Nothing. I can't get past it. I should have listened when then said Dark Souls 2 was just a hard as Dark Souls 1. I find myself puzzled as I look at my Dark Souls 2 for PC box for some clue on how to get past the door. Nothing. No Clue. I have to resolve that his game is too hardcore. Too Hardcore to the point of not being fun anymore. "Atmospheric dungeon, crawling, fearsome enemy encounters". Namco needs to realize that making a game hard doesn't make it fun. Sadly with less money in our pocket and critics giving scores in the 90's the joke is on us. Expand
  28. Apr 25, 2014
    After hearing about the problems the first Dark Souls game had on PC, I put off buying it until I knew that some of its problems had been fixed by the developers or modders, or that there certainly wasn't going to be any further improvement. I was disappointed to find that it only showed the XBox controller buttons in place of the keyboard commands and it took some rebinding to getAfter hearing about the problems the first Dark Souls game had on PC, I put off buying it until I knew that some of its problems had been fixed by the developers or modders, or that there certainly wasn't going to be any further improvement. I was disappointed to find that it only showed the XBox controller buttons in place of the keyboard commands and it took some rebinding to get keyboard and mouse rebound to a functional set-up but I was ultimately treated to a fantastic game. The atmosphere in Dark Souls, as well as its environmental storytelling and bosses were all phenomenal, and I've sunk many long hours into the game.

I've therefore been waiting with a great deal of excitement for Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls was a rushed port in response to high PC player demand so some problems were expected, but surely there wouldn't be any with Dark Souls 2, which was developed for PC simultaneously ... Wrong! The Xbox controller prompts are back. The default bindings are appalling, and many keyboard buttons can't actually be bound for no apparent reason. The controls are laggy in a game were rapid responsiveness are key. There's also the more minor issue of the massive downgrade in the lighting of the game, which hopefully may be fixed at some point for PC.

In short, this is once again an embarrassingly bad port, and I'd advise waiting for fixes from the developers or modders before getting it. What I've played of the game itself seems great, but it's simply not a finished product and I object to being sold games in this condition.
  29. Apr 26, 2014
    This game don't work.
    The game crash everytime you enter, and the company dont launch a fix, 3 days after his launch.
    Thanks for stole my money!
    Ah, and the game doesn't have a pc controller instructions, is a BAD port from the console version.
    $50 for a bad port.
  30. Apr 26, 2014
    The game will not load on my pc, and a lot of other peoples at that. There is no Tech support to call, there is no disclaimer that it may not work, and there is no refund. Its a very shameful process. That I wish I was not a part of.
    If you are buying this game, you are gambling with your money.
    It may not work, and there is nothing you can do about it.
  31. Uxz
    Apr 26, 2014
    Had to spend 4 hours trying to get past the infamous "White screen" which crashed the game at launch - the only way to get past was unplugging the monitor while launching it, replugging when it was in the menus.

Anyways the GAME! I enjoyed Dark Souls 1 but this has clunky Controllers, feels like there is alot of delay and a frustrating camera that does not navigate well - running backwards does not turn the camera round, just the character - falling off a Cliff by accident while "kiting" a boss because the camera does not show where you are running -is not my kind of fun.

Another frustrating thing is that the menus has XBOX 360 (!!) buttons and keys in the menus - so you have to Guess which keys correnspond to those on the keyboard - making it worse if that you cannot rebind all the keys in the game, making the game quite unplesant if you use a keyboard and mouse - thankfully I do have a Controller - but it still feels very clunky when moving, it feels like Your character doesn't have fluid movement but rotates/moves at an 8 axis.

Also a warning to whoever has a VAC Ban: Dont buy, you will NOT be able to acess the game servers even if you were banned 10 years ago!
  32. Apr 27, 2014
    The game is awful. Enemies moves are too predictable. Maps are terrible too, its just a lot of tight corridors. Your character moves like a snail, it takes two hours for your character to response to a pressed button. Its hard in a way that is unfair which is not something to be praised. DO NOT BUY.
  33. Apr 27, 2014
    Broken and awkward! I can't jump, among other things that don't work right. The controls are terrible. I actually am contemplating asking Steam for a refund it is so bad. Betas of other games are better than this "finished" product.
  34. Apr 26, 2014
    It's a great game whatsoever, great playability but I see some flaws in it: sometimes my attack, almost touching the enemy doesn't do any kind of damage on the hollows and the bug that wasn't fixed till now take me away from playing it in my big picture HDMI TV that turns out to be a real letdown.
  35. Apr 26, 2014
    What a horrible port,its even worse then the dark souls 1 port IMHO .
    I would spend my money on something else if i where you.
    The biggest problem people seems to have is getting pass the start up crash.
    Yeah they promised a better port,the game isn't even working for some people,skip this pile of .... or if your realy hell bound to buy it wait for them to fix all the problems.
  36. Apr 25, 2014
    This game might be good, might be. But I can't to play past the first 20 minutes? Why? Because the controls are **** unplayable on keyboard and mouse. I refuse to buy extra hardware i.e. a gamepad because a company is inept at providing a decent service and lied saying that it could. otherwise I wouldn't have bought this piece of **** in the first place.
  37. Apr 26, 2014
    still not able to play due to the problem of the hdmi if I had the tv and monitor connected error, and so far the company has not done anything already nearly 200 pages of complaints on steam and nothing yet. shameful
  38. Apr 27, 2014
    I seldom give games low or high scores unless they are uttlery outstanding in some way.

Dark Souls II is an outstandingly bad console port. I assume. I haven't managed to start it yet as it immediately crashes back to the desktop. Couple this with feedback that keyboard and mouse controls are broken and that modding the game to fix it is a bannable offence and there's not a lot

Couple this with feedback that keyboard and mouse controls are broken and that modding the game to fix it is a bannable offence and there's not a lot left.

A sincere pity that Dark Souls II is pile of trash because I really, really, really enjoyed the first one.
  39. Apr 26, 2014
    Relative to the time of release, DS2 for PC is somehow an even crappier port than its predecessor, It looks bad, it sounds bad and yep, it plays like utter ****

Funny thing is I saw this coming a mile away, so of course I didn't buy it. A company that knew the original Dark souls was a pathetic excuse for a PC release NEVER BOTHERED TO PATCH IT!! After all this time, Of course they will treat PC gamers like idiots again for the sequel.

Its the exact same deal this time around- What you pay for is the dregs of an average console game, that looks and plays like a ps2 game, even the sound is atrocious, I couldn't stand to play more than an hour of this insulting trash.
  40. Apr 26, 2014
    I still remember how frustrated I felt when the first Dark Souls came to PC, and it was THE worst port I had ever played on pc (and I have a long history with BAD ports). Luckily for me, there were a bunch of fans that fixed the company work for us gamers without asking for a single penny, so I ended up enjoying the game I had bought (half of my money should have been to those guys whoI still remember how frustrated I felt when the first Dark Souls came to PC, and it was THE worst port I had ever played on pc (and I have a long history with BAD ports). Luckily for me, there were a bunch of fans that fixed the company work for us gamers without asking for a single penny, so I ended up enjoying the game I had bought (half of my money should have been to those guys who fixed the game), and I remembering me thinking "they wont do this again, right? The backlash was pretty hard on them" well yesterday I bought this game (the sequel) and I'm already feeling like I will need those guys who fixed the first one again! Really?. For starters, it doesn't initiate if I have my controller plugged onto the pc, it just crashes, so I cant play it with my controller (not that I would like it but, It's the recommended way right?), amusingly enough, it doesnt seems to matter if I have my nostromo plugged into the pc or not (I tried unplugging it, plugging it with the controller, plugging the controller alone, etc) and guess why it doesnt matter? because it doesnt recognize it. So that leaves me out with traditional keyboard and mouse, so ok. I try to start the game: CTD!, try it again, CTD when I first move! I'm starting to have a Deja vu from the first game (which had several graphics problems that luckily those fixes from those saviors fixed for me, which made my game CTD), so I use Nvidia control center to deactivate several graphics options (rather force them) and the game stops CTDing. Yay! Who needs graphics, right? well turns out the controlls are a damn mess. Better than the first one, but not by far. So I end up getting really pissed and as a result I come here to warn people that if you buy this and have the astonishing luck that it works like intended, you will have to deal with camera and key binding issues that will have you dead not because the game is difficult, but because you will feel paralyzed by the control system.
    So, I'm planning to get a refund on this garbage and move on to something better from another company, a company that doesnt have his fans fixing their games for them... Oops It seems there are none of those nowadays.
  41. Apr 26, 2014
    Dont bother buying this broken piece of garbage, from software should be ashamed... With tens of trials I only managed To play just once... That just Sad for a game that was supposed to go out later than the console version to tune It better...
  42. Apr 25, 2014
    I've played through Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and even did SL1 runs.
    I've played only a couple of hours of Dark Souls 2, but let me tell you, the game's alright.
    For Dark Souls 2, they changed the director, and it really shows in the level design. The previous Souls games weren't intended to be masochist games. The difficulty was not the main focus, and interviews with the director
    I've played through Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and even did SL1 runs.
    The previous Souls games weren't intended to be masochist games. The difficulty was not the main focus, and interviews with the director shows that. The director of Dark Souls 2 took a very different approach, and it shows in even the dialogue of the game.
    In the first few cutscenes, the player is told "you're going to die and lose souls over and over again", it is almost like that is coming from the developers. This wasn't seen in the previous games.
    The gameplay suffers from this too. The game tries way too hard to surprise you and punish you. with very predicable surprises at almost every single corner.
    An example of this that is very evident is the first level of the game.
    I'm not going to spoil it, but i'll just say that in the previous Souls games, the first levels were pretty good tutorials with fair enemies. It isn't like that in this one, you'll see what I mean if you play it.
    The new mechanics the game throws at you are a different, fresh, new experience.
    Stats are distributed differently, movement feels different, healing items are awful now, and enemies have different movesets. It's interesting to play, and in some aspects, much more difficult.
    I was kind of worried this game would be a casualized version of the first, I can say that I'm not dissapointed.
    Onto the technical aspects:
    The PC port is very good, a definite improvement over the first. Easy 1080p and 60 fps on an AMD 7850.
    I can't judge the Mouse+Keyboard controls though, because I haven't tried, but honestly, who would? A controller is a must for these types of games.
    Loading screens are almost non-existent just like the first
    Also, Alt+F4 is beautiful, try it out when you play it, it saves your game, fades out and exits - A counter against people that will quit during PvP
    Steamworks for this game is amazing! There is no "summoning failed" message like in the first, summoning and invading people are almost instant! The connectivity is nice and a great improvement over Games for Windows Live in the first Dark Souls.
    Overall, I'd recommend Dark Souls 2.
    It's decent, but I still like Demon's Souls the best.
  43. Apr 26, 2014
    After working for 40 hours to get this game to launch, the few minutes I played were terrible. Even as the game feels like a PC port, it doesn't even feel like they tried. Sure, the game looks better than the first one, but I wouldn't care if it looked terrible. The gameplay is what matters and that's what they completely broke. BESIDES not being able to even launch the game. GG.
  44. Apr 26, 2014
    Do not trust any reviews with a 10/10 score. Look at the steam community forum page and you'll see that over 2500 people can't even launch the game they paid for. And there is no ETA for any fix at all. If you feel like playing the lottery to know if you can even launch the game, then by all means, go ahead and spend that hard earned 50$ in cash.
  45. Apr 25, 2014
    While the game's assets and lighting aren't quite the level of quality shown in the demo last year. They're still very pretty, and with some settings customization both in and out of game you can have it looking fantastic.

Massive improvements have been made compared to the dark souls 1 pc port. honest kb and mouse support. As well as solid graphics options in game. But the other element that makes it much better is the better integration of social features.

The summon system is pivotal for a smooth play experience and is a lot of fun. Over all the story is the same minimalist breadcrumb system from ds1, but the gameplay is even crisper/sharper than it was before.

More iframes (invincibility frames) have been removed so more intricate and skillful dodging is required to be able to fight enemies. As well as a strong enemy variety and well animated/telegraphed attacks allow you to see actual tactics being used.

Enemies will charge at you when they see you healing, some of them can heal, and others can be baited into putting up their shield (if they have one) just by pulling out a ranged weapon.
  46. Apr 25, 2014
    I can't believe I wasted my bandwidth downloading this utter junk. So I plug my Xbox 360 controller in, it doesn't do anything (apparently this is a common bug), all the hints are for a controller so I have literally no idea what to press. I get told to press my left stick, but no idea how to do this on a keyboard. This game is so broken it is a bad joke. This is unplayable on the PC.I can't believe I wasted my bandwidth downloading this utter junk. So I plug my Xbox 360 controller in, it doesn't do anything (apparently this is a common bug), all the hints are for a controller so I have literally no idea what to press. I get told to press my left stick, but no idea how to do this on a keyboard. This game is so broken it is a bad joke. This is unplayable on the PC. If I could rewind time to this afternoon I would SO NOT PURCHASE THIS PILE OF EXCREMENT!! Expand
  47. Apr 25, 2014
    Difficulty and gameplay aside (if you're looking for that, just read the console reviews). From learned from their mistakes in DS1, and the DS2 Keyboard+Mouse controls work perfectly. Controls are smooth; graphics are smooth. It may not be the best looking PC game ever made, but this version is better than playing on a console in every way.
  48. Apr 26, 2014
    This game seems like it has a lot of promise but the developers literally did nothing to make this PC playable. They don't give you the functionality of binding whatever keys you want to on your keyboard. For instance, to use an item I cant just change it to a key. They have an array of choices I can change too, none are what I wanted of course. They are all ctr+Left click, alt +LeftThis game seems like it has a lot of promise but the developers literally did nothing to make this PC playable. They don't give you the functionality of binding whatever keys you want to on your keyboard. For instance, to use an item I cant just change it to a key. They have an array of choices I can change too, none are what I wanted of course. They are all ctr+Left click, alt +Left click, shift + left click... Why wouldn't you just make it completely customizable to place whatever key you want, that is rule 101 for PC. This is apparently meant for a control on PC, which is just stupid, but as someone who doesn't have one I don't want to go spend money to play a game after I already spent $50 bucks for the game itself!!!

The weird console controller layout of the controls for PC makes the actual game barely playable. It doesn't seem that hard yet, the biggest struggle I find is the fact that the controls are impossible to navigate when reacting to enemies. The main reason I die is because I can't control the character enough to react to the game itself which is the worst problem you can have for a game. Another obvious flaw is the fact that when your going through tutorial area in the beginning all of the helpful signs are still in console controls! So you can't even translate to what in the world I'm suppose to do on PC to get that to happen. They even have the menus in the game still on console controls. Obvious this game is not meant for PC yet... Nothing is hard its just lack of responsiveness and control for the user....
  49. Apr 25, 2014
    What a huge, huge, HUGE, H U G E, H-U-G-E, disappointment!!
    It's a bare console port down to the bones!! Controls are clunky, keys rebinding is a nightmare, there is an horrible delay that plagues the mouse's movements, I found at least 3 breaking bugs, and, at times, the game doesn't even start running!!
    Beware! Leave it alone. Save your money for something that is worth them.
  50. Apr 26, 2014
    This game is so overrated(which i don't understand why) that people can't see how flawed the game is.The only thing good with this game is that it is challenging.
  51. Apr 25, 2014
    It has played out exactly the same as when I played the first Dark Souls. I was again having trouble with mobs from the very beginning (obviously not the brain dead zombies), but once again I passed the initial test, conquered my fear with my defeated enemies blood dripping down my face and I have come out the other side to witness a majestic view of the sea. To put it in a few words - I'mIt has played out exactly the same as when I played the first Dark Souls. I was again having trouble with mobs from the very beginning (obviously not the brain dead zombies), but once again I passed the initial test, conquered my fear with my defeated enemies blood dripping down my face and I have come out the other side to witness a majestic view of the sea. To put it in a few words - I'm fully enjoying the whole experience! Anything good in this world requires motivation, dedication and time and this game is no different. You put the hours and effort in and you will be greatly rewarded. By the way I have played both games on the keyboard and with a mouse without a problem. See you guys on the other side! Expand
  52. Apr 25, 2014
    The controls are really, really borked in the PC version. Felt like something that existed 15 years ago.

All hints and tips in the tutorial are for controller players, so unless you use that, you are screwed, or you just have to man up and randomly mash buttons to see what goes where in the mapping... Not very helpful to know that "B" or "LS"-button does something on the controller if you are using mouse & keyboard.

tl;dr:If you use keyboard + mouse combo, don't even bother.
    Graphics and general feel is so-so.
  53. Apr 25, 2014
    Game is fine, no word for it. But PC release ? Absolutely garbage. "Stop Working" problems , HDMI - DVI problems , multi monitor problems , standart scaling problems ... etc.

They say "this time Pc version will be good version for this game" ... They did not keep promises.

On steam community page , people want a refund ... pathetic !
  54. Apr 27, 2014
    Wow... Just wow... And not in a good way.

Let me just say this: the game is a very bad port from console (Xbox) to PC. Especially the controls and thus the gameplay have suffered, and since that is the bread and butter of any game it just breaks Dark Souls II. It's clunky, it's non-responsive, it's broken.

That really should be all you need to know not to buy the game at this point.
  55. Apr 27, 2014
    Remember those old-school NES games that were insanely difficult, not due to design, but because they were technically broken? That's what "Dark Souls 2" is. Not only is it obviously a terrible PC port despite claims that PC was the lead platform (then why do enemies in the distance only animate at 30fps, why is the UI so obviously designed for console, why is M&K functionality stillRemember those old-school NES games that were insanely difficult, not due to design, but because they were technically broken? That's what "Dark Souls 2" is. Not only is it obviously a terrible PC port despite claims that PC was the lead platform (then why do enemies in the distance only animate at 30fps, why is the UI so obviously designed for console, why is M&K functionality still garbage?), but the game itself plays worse than a "Souls" game ever has.

This is likely in large part due to this being the first "Souls" game that isn't made by the original "Souls" team. If you need more info on this, google it, but bottom line is "From Software" felt that the "Souls" franchise had become successful enough that the people who made it good could do... whatever they're doing now, and the next entry (Dark Souls 2) could be made by "From Software's" B-Team.

Playing as Melee is pretty much broken this time around, as enemy tracking is impossible to outpace. In DeS/DS1, you could see them winding up for an attack and roll out of the way, but now they spin on a dime and do not stop their facing until their attack has landed. So, instead of rolling when you see the attack coming, you have to roll during the window right before the attack lands, which is much, *much* more punishing, and *far* more difficult to execute. DeS/DS1 were punishing but fair, DS2 is punishing for the sake of being punishing.

Gone as well is the tactical one-on-one combat, not just because of the above, but because of the game's tendency to throw entire rooms of enemies at you at once. In DeS/DS1, you could lure enemies off large packs to make them easier to handle, or if you alerted one enemy in the room you would only pull that enemy and *maybe* whoever was nearby. In DS2, if you trigger on enemy, you trigger every enemy in the room. This makes the focus on co-op much heavier, as you're going to *need* two other people around you spamming attacks just to clear more areas.

The vast majority of boss fights are copy-pasted from DS1, and the "new" boss fights are just bosses that look new but use mechanics that anyone who's already played DeS/DS1 will immediately recognize.

There's also the issue of item durability. In this game, your weapons are going to degrade at a much faster rate, and the only way to restore them is to use extremely rare and highly expensive Repair powders, or resting at a bonfire. This means that, more often than not, your favorite main-hand weapon is going to be rendered unusuable before you reach the next checkpoint. There's also a bug in the game that makes it so swinging your weapon through enemies who are in the "dying" animation, or swinging your weapon and having it clip a co-op phantom, will cause it to degrade at 300% the rate as well. These two combined make for a more naggy, OCD melee-combat experience.

This is also the first time I've played a "Souls" game and felt like it needed a map. "Demon's Souls" was split into 5 seperate worlds which made it easy to keep track of things in your head, "Dark Souls" was open world but everything fit together very cohesively so again it was easy to keep track of things. "Dark Souls 2" feels like they threw a bunch of zones together and didn't care about how they connected to each other, they just wanted them there. Navigating is an absolute chore. It's entirely possible to be exploring your first time, and find yourself stuck in areas where the only way to get out is to die by jumping into a chasm/pit, or returning to a bonfire (with a spell or item). "DeS" and "DS1" had *some* of this as well, but not nearly to the extent that "DS2" does.

The "Souls" series is all about overcoming unpleasant surprises, but the only unpleasant surprise "Dark Souls 2" delivers is that of a mishandled entry in a beloved franchise, with the only feeling left afterwards being that of wasted time. "From Software" decided they could save money by hiring lesser talent to make a game that'd get success by brand name alone. And sales-wise, it probably worked, but from now I'm going to be far more leary when I look at the next title from "From Software".

It's very disappointing to recognize what "From" has done here, because it means that the "Souls" franchise will never be as good as it used to. Yet for how good the last two games were, there was still a lot of room for improvement, and now we'll never know how good this series could've been. Like everything else, it comes down to the people in charge intentionally ruining something so they can increase their profit by a few percent. Once that starts, there's no going back. If they feel like they have "f u" money after just two big titles, then quality from here on out is only going to get worse for "From" titles.
  56. Apr 25, 2014
    Sell me a Finished product.

Why do I keep wasting money on "just released" games for PC??? Do NOT buy this for PC. Great graphics, but crashed on opening intro and then the first time I tried moving. The PC interface was super annoying. If you assume that it wouldn't be that hard to make the interface PC friendly, you would be wrong. Yuck. As a first time player of Dark Souls - I had
    Sell me a Finished product.

As a first time player of Dark Souls - I had no idea what anything represented. Tutorial maybe? I want my $60 back.
  57. Apr 26, 2014
    FREAKING AWFUL very overrated game especially for PC do not listen to pro-reviewers that give a 9.0 or 10 to this abomination. The graphics are a joke they are not as bad as the first game but still are bad with a lot of blurry low quality textures and polygon designed animations that even in the highest graphic settings remind me some old games from 2002 as for the gameplay feelsFREAKING AWFUL very overrated game especially for PC do not listen to pro-reviewers that give a 9.0 or 10 to this abomination. The graphics are a joke they are not as bad as the first game but still are bad with a lot of blurry low quality textures and polygon designed animations that even in the highest graphic settings remind me some old games from 2002 as for the gameplay feels lacking and amateur programming work, it is almost unplayable and annoying if you try to play with a keyboard and a mouse (i am not going to waste my money to buy a gamepad just for one title). It is a very very overrated title and extremely overhyped from stupid paid game site and from reviewers that have been paid to promote this as the best RPG in the world do not fall into their hype and into their propaganda or you will regret your money. save them for buying The Witcher 3 or for Dragon Age Inquisition at least or some other future title Expand
  58. Apr 25, 2014
    I played demon souls and dark souls and acquired the end game achievements, Now I'm playing the Dark Souls 2 in 4 hours straight, it is more challenging than the other and more easy navigation. This game is deserve to have a score of 10. This is an amazing and challenging game that I've ever played.
  59. May 30, 2014
    Re-review: Dark Souls 2 is by far the best in terms of content and PvP but where it suffers (at the cost of the soul of the entire series) is in the enemies. Basically they are the same and to compensate for this the devs have added more of them, twisting the original Souls formula from 'fair because you learn' to 'overwhelming until you break through the wall or run away'.

Dark Souls 2

Dark Souls 2 is not a worthy sequel to the series and the hardship is not worth the time.

=========
  60. Apr 27, 2014
    Unplayable with mouse and keyboard. They didn't even take the time to translate all keymapping hints to a keyboard input. And on top of that, when you press a button it litteraly takes ages for your character to actually do something.
    Graphics are very bad aswell, yet i wouldn't mind if you could actaully play the game. Getting infos in this game is also a pain in the ass.
  61. Apr 25, 2014
    I'm a Souls veteran, with 3 playthroughs of Demon's Souls and 7 of Dark Souls, and by no means am I disappointed with Dark Souls II. Maybe a little underwhelmed, but not disappointed. It's different from both Dark and Demon's, but somehow feels like a strange combination at the same time, which is good (but again, different). By no means is different bad, in fact I think that's thisI'm a Souls veteran, with 3 playthroughs of Demon's Souls and 7 of Dark Souls, and by no means am I disappointed with Dark Souls II. Maybe a little underwhelmed, but not disappointed. It's different from both Dark and Demon's, but somehow feels like a strange combination at the same time, which is good (but again, different). By no means is different bad, in fact I think that's this games sticking point. If it was too much like the first, I don't think it would have been as enjoyable for someone like me, who knows the mechanics inside out, upside down and backwards. I feel like I'm new again, holding up my shield while slowly turning the next corner, and hoping not to come across some new trap.

For all the hate it's getting for not being exactly like Dark Souls, I can agree with some of the points. The weapons degrade at a shocking rate, although I am still early on (3 hours in) so who knows, upgrading may fix that. And of course, we could discuss the lighting engine and all that fluff, but it's been said and done before. We know it's not what was shown at E3 in 2013, nor what was in the beta, but whatever. Although, I still feel that it's trying a bit too hard to give the lighting effects a chance, because nothing actually looks, you know, dark yet... Here's hoping The Gutter proves this point moot.

Anyways, first impressions aside, I'm glad I purchased this game, and I plan on playing it for a good long time. Is it as good as the first, I don't think so (although I'm a admittedly jaded), but it doesn't have to be... it's its own game that stands up just fine with the Souls line. So I hope to see you all out there, and have some jolly cooperation! Oh, and don't forget, seek larger souls!
  62. Apr 25, 2014
    Things to be said:

- The level design could have been better, a la Dark Souls, but still nice; - I'm personally of the opinion that what made Dark Souls level design great was the fact that you could NOT teleport between bonfires until late-game, and this gave value to the excellent design, twists and turns, shortcuts and secrets; - Combat mechanics have been refined to be even more
    Things to be said:

- The level design could have been better, a la Dark Souls, but still nice;
    - Combat mechanics have been refined to be even more skill-based;

A.k.a., true Souls players love and will love it. Scrubs should rate less and Git Gud.
  63. Apr 27, 2014
    Why do people buy a game at launch, especially a PC port, and expect the game to be 100% perfect? Grow a pair, and learn to be patient for the game to be patched, jesus. It's this self entitled attitude of "I DESERVE THiS GAME NOW"
  64. Apr 26, 2014
    First off, lets get some things out of the way that others are complaining about. The multi-player is fine, you're not supposed to be able to play through the entire game with you're friends, and while many whine about this, that's how the game was developed. It's not an issue or a bug they need to fix nor is it "clunky", it's how they chose to implement multi-player into the game. Yes,First off, lets get some things out of the way that others are complaining about. The multi-player is fine, you're not supposed to be able to play through the entire game with you're friends, and while many whine about this, that's how the game was developed. It's not an issue or a bug they need to fix nor is it "clunky", it's how they chose to implement multi-player into the game. Yes, the keyboard and mouse controls are terrible, but this is a studio that doesn't make PC games, Dark Souls was their first attempt at a port and Dark Souls 2 is their second. It blows that you have to use a controller to play the game comfortably but you don't HAVE to. I used the PC controls for about 3 hours and while they are a bit odd and uncomfortable, the game is completely playable using keyboard and mouse. Now lets actually talk about the game.
    Now Dark Souls 2 is an amazing game, from the visuals to the gameplay, it stays true to the Souls series. The game looks brilliant and it's color palette is wonderful, they optimized the heck out of it and the game runs incredibly even with all the settings turned up to the max on mid-range PC's.I feel it's a bit harder than the first as well, and the main reason behind that is that weapons now degrade a lot faster. Enemies are more aggressive and bosses need a little bit more strategy than previous titles, more than once I have underestimated the enemy and in the end paid dearly for my mistake. Control responsiveness is great, never once have I been screwed over because my input didn't go through. The world you're in is amazing, the level design is just as good as Dark Souls 1, and the enviroment feels more immersive. My only one gripe is that your weapons break far to quickly, you can now equip three items to each hand, but that doesn't make up for it. It's really annoying how quickly you can get into trouble when your weapon breaks and you have to high-tail out of a fight. Not even upgrading your weapon improves it's durability. There is and item you can equip that you find later in-game that slows the degradation of you weapons, so that's nice, but I wish upgrading improved their durability. Dark Souls 2 is everything I hoped for in another Souls game, and anyone that says their a Souls fan and then says they were disappointed with this game is not a Souls fan.
  65. May 9, 2014
    I am writing second review after beating game.In the first review I gave ds2 9/10(played that time only 5-10 hours), certainly I must say that in 55 hour long playthrproough (with almost all bosses (except Vendrick )) I had no freezes, no lags, 0 problems with game. I should start with s of this game. It is dark souls, it has beautiful lore, awesome gameplay, magnificent views (myI am writing second review after beating game.In the first review I gave ds2 9/10(played that time only 5-10 hours), certainly I must say that in 55 hour long playthrproough (with almost all bosses (except Vendrick )) I had no freezes, no lags, 0 problems with game. I should start with s of this game. It is dark souls, it has beautiful lore, awesome gameplay, magnificent views (my favourite location is Dragon Aerie), hardness and my favourite... you kill bosses and progress not with level or high damage sword, but with skill. Some bosses are unique and interesting. PVP or Jolly co-op is just awesome (after I defeat boss on my own, I like to help others). There are added tons of items and mechanics what make game better. And the ending is quite good.
    Now about cons. and I found only one big flaw what made me sad, it is bosses. The problem is, that there is too much knight bosses, and sometimes they even repeat. Few bosses are just copy/pasted from ds1(like scorpion lady(ds2) and spider lady(ds1)). Well I must admit that ornstein is copied for lore and his attack are different, so I wouldn't count him as flaw, but sometimes you just feel thet it's too familiar, in a bad way. Another con for bosses is hardness, you meat Persuer (just a knight) and this is your nightmare(and yes, only after I defeated him, I received an info of 90% easy damage, but the way I defeated him as knight was even better) . Then you meet an awesome dragon in cage and he dies from 10 hits or you meet Lord of Giants( who should be hard as hell and awesome in this way)... I killed him on 2nd try. And final boss wasn't **** but he/she was disappointing
    In sum-up I can say, that this is great sequel, not perfect, but great one. If you just compare with what came out in 2013/2014 (bugged and not finished bf4, simcity, Rome:TW2 and others) DS2 is best right now you can get in 2014(for me). DS2 receive from me 8.5/10. Great game and great sequel. I would add one more plus point if they add steamworkshop (new gear, funny mods, fantasy of fans). Right now I'm replaying game with same character I did before and I receive many new enemies and test my skill. Praise... well, you know what to do.
  66. Apr 25, 2014
    This is an excellent PC port of an excellent game!

For one, people on here are trying to bash it and I'm not positive as to why... But the game runs at 40-60 fps on my laptop with medium-high settings. It's gorgeous and fluid. It's still recommended that you use a controller for the game, makes everything a bit easier. Just get a 360 controller for your PC. The game itself is
    This is an excellent PC port of an excellent game!

The game itself is wonderful, brutally challenging and extremely rewarding for when you do get through a tough spot.

Plus, for the 50 dollar price, it's really hard to resist. Pick it up and start playing this amazing game!
  67. Apr 25, 2014
    People who rated this game negative don't know anything about souls games and should have just un-install the game. This game is just simply not for you guys...
  68. Apr 25, 2014
    this is the game of made by god
    i wait many times and from never break my expect
    and after, i wait darksouls3 i want see more 'YOU DIED'

best game of my life . 1,2 both
  69. Apr 25, 2014
    Dark Souls II is difficult. In fact, it's probably the most difficult game I've ever played in my life, but I enjoyed every second of it.

While off-putting at first, Dark Souls II pulls you in with it's exacting gameplay, brutal difficulty and rewarding bosses, every time I finally defeated a beautifully designed boss I felt I actually accomplished something, and I can't say that for most games I've played.

One of my only gripes with the game is that at times it is difficult to know where to go next, while I respect that they don't explain much I wish that they would have at least given me a general direction of where to go next.

In my opinion, this is my first Game Of The Year contender for 2014.
  70. May 22, 2014
    I bought the first DS and played about 30 minutes before shelving it because it was so broken. I'm glad I gave From another chance. This is not a perfect game but the things it does well it does extremely well. Yes this game pretty much requires a gamepad, and yes it looks like a steaming pile of crap compared to other PC RPG offerings like The Witcher, but aside from that I have a hardI bought the first DS and played about 30 minutes before shelving it because it was so broken. I'm glad I gave From another chance. This is not a perfect game but the things it does well it does extremely well. Yes this game pretty much requires a gamepad, and yes it looks like a steaming pile of crap compared to other PC RPG offerings like The Witcher, but aside from that I have a hard time thinking of negative things to say about the PC version.

It's difficult, sometimes frustratingly so, but not in an unfair way. The world is incredibly well designed, and the game never holds your hand through anything. As you progress you get actually feel like you've accomplished something, and when you fail (which you will -- a lot) you need to exercise patience and sound strategy to overcome. I wish every game I purchased played out like that. The class creation system is deep and allows for tons of possibilities (kinda like how Blizzard games used to be before they determined everyone was too stupid to put points into attributes by themselves). And da 30+ boss fights and creature variation?... Awesome. Nearly everything about this game is excellent, reminds me of how action RPG's used to be and should be.

9/10 Would Die Again
  71. Jul 9, 2014
    Huge disappointment. I didn't finish the game. It was nothing like first 2 games, only soul DS II has is in its title. I couldn't believe how plain and empty world felt. Not even a single memorable location in 25h of gameplay, non-existing plot (not like it was good in DS I but at least you had idea of what you are doing), boring repetitive enemies and very poorly made boss fights (screwHuge disappointment. I didn't finish the game. It was nothing like first 2 games, only soul DS II has is in its title. I couldn't believe how plain and empty world felt. Not even a single memorable location in 25h of gameplay, non-existing plot (not like it was good in DS I but at least you had idea of what you are doing), boring repetitive enemies and very poorly made boss fights (screw creativity! Let’s make one average boss and make player fight 5 of them at once! That will be 5 times more fun!). 25h from which I enjoyed maybe 2-3 hours. I'll better just finish ng+5 in DS I. Expand
  72. May 9, 2014
    There's a lot to say about this game so I broke it down into three catagories: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Skip to the bottom for a synopsis.

The Good: +DaS2 is still huge. There is a lot to explore and there's plenty of hidden areas with tough bosses. +A larger, more open game world. +More character interaction. Much of the lore is fleshed out via NPCs as you journey through

The Good:
    +A larger, more open game world.
    +More character interaction. Much of the lore is fleshed out via NPCs as you journey through the game, with characters having more to say (and more to sell).
    +Better networking and better co-op. A new ring essentially makes your summon sign only visible to your friends.
    +More accessible covenants. While most covenants in DaS you had to jump through hoops just to find, overall DaS2's covenants are easy to join and more enjoyable to level.
    +Dual wielding is greatly improved. Power stancing lets you swing both your weapons in new combos.
    +Magic is greatly expanded and includes a new catagory for Hexes.
    +Greatly improved NG+ experience. Bosses drop new items, new enemies spawn in special areas, and some bosses gain new mechanics.

The Bad (huge problems that will [probably] never change):
    -Terrible map design. Most levels are very simplistic, with some even being a straight corridor from beginning to the token boss.
    -Heavily unbalanced covenant rank-up requirements. Heirs of the Sun's 30 sunlight medals can be achieved in a few hours for max rank, while BoB & Blue Sentinel's 500 kills requires NG+ or nonstop victories in the arena (losses count as -1 rank points... why?).
    -Overabundance of forgettable, humanoid bosses. Some are recycled later in the game (or later playthroughs) as normal mobs or bosses. Many bosses have similar attack patterns and fall apart when you circle strafe and roll.
    -Swarms of enemies everywhere. While DaS focused on intense 1v1 fights, there were occasional cannon fodder slaughterfests. DaS 2 will regularly throw multiple heavily armored & long-reaching (polearms, ultra greatswords) enemies at you.
    -Parrying and riposting are harder to perform and less rewarding. Even if you manage to riposte, you can now be damaged while riposting by the swarms of enemies in DaS 2.
    -Overabundance of healing items and consumables. There's no reason to start as a Cleric because of 3 different purchasable lifegems (HoT consumable), 12 Estus Flask+5s (easily attained on first playthrough), and 8 other consumables that restore spells or cure statuses on top of healing you.
    -Terrible plot and story telling. The last few levels (and especially the ending cutscene) make no sense and it feels like the devs just wanted to add "cool" stuff to pad the game.

The Ugly (nitpicking and balance problems):
    *Iframes have been removed from backstabs, ripostes, using fog gates, doors, and other environmental actions.
    *Roll iframes & estus flask drinking speed are tied to a stat.
    *No pyromancer starting class. You have to get roughly through one-quarter of the game to find your first flame and pyromancy and its very easy to miss.
    *Tons of balance issues with both PvE & PvP. Near the end of the first playthrough magic becomes very powerful, even in PvE. In PvP most spells worth using in PvP will kill you in 1 or 2 hits even with strong magic defense.
    *No un-cracked Red/Blue Eye Orbs and cracked orbs aren't sold by NPCs until NG+.
    *Changes to equip load mean everyone is some kind of hybrid class, doing normal rolls while wearing full Havels with a cloud of Persuers- err, i mean Affinity over them while waving a flaming katana around.
    *Cheaters are currently a huge issue on the PC version. You can now be invaded while Hollow and not being human is a big HP handicap, meaning you will run into cheaters much more often than in DaS.

Dark Souls 2 isn't much of an honest sequel to Dark Souls; Being more akin to a numbered Final Fantasy sequel, with the only connection between the two being some equipment & spell names as far as I can tell. While it will win tons of GOTY awards, it also has a ton of issues that need to be addressed before it will be remembered as fondly as its predecessor. DaS 2 is definitely worth playing, but it feels like a rushed cash-in made by a B-Team who were told how a Souls game should be made (and then went and did their own thing anyway). Hopefully FromSoft's next Souls game has some actual soul to it... Otherwise we might just end up with another Armored Core situation with a new half-assed sequel being pooped out every few years.
  73. Jul 15, 2014
    I think that these negative reviews are probably just from people who can't figure out how to play the game! This is a masterpiece of a game, the graphics are beautiful and the challenge can be rage inducing but when you beat it, there is no greater feeling in the world.
  74. Jul 7, 2014
    Nothing like the Original. The changes to riposte or back stabs are just junk. Mobs don't even re-spawn after you try to farm them for an item. Story is not that great or even the Lore. Kinda sad but still playable.
  75. May 7, 2014
    While a good, solid game in its own right, "Dark Souls II" is ultimately somewhat of a step backward from its predecessor.

The change in directors is evident in the form of a weaker plot, inconsistent world-building, lack of variety in enemies, and aggravating changes in combat mechanics (such as increased enemy tracking) which come off more as difficulty for difficulty's sake rather than to offer a rewarding challenge to players. In addition, while not necessarily a problem the apparent downgrade in graphics and lighting may come as a slight disappointment to fans.

Overall, "Dark Souls II" is a flawed, yet serviceable entry in the "Souls" series, and the aforementioned issues are possibly just growing pains from the change in direction that will hopefully be ironed out in future installments.
  76. Jul 1, 2014
    I have played Dark Souls II for many hours completing a full play through and half of NG+. The most annoying thing I have noticed is the lack of boss variation. Most of the bosses are some form of humanoid creature or knight. There is the big Jabba The Hut looking thing and also the rat king boss but other than that they are all the same. I beat 90% of the bosses by either strafing to theI have played Dark Souls II for many hours completing a full play through and half of NG+. The most annoying thing I have noticed is the lack of boss variation. Most of the bosses are some form of humanoid creature or knight. There is the big Jabba The Hut looking thing and also the rat king boss but other than that they are all the same. I beat 90% of the bosses by either strafing to the left or right because of this. If you some how could not beat a boss you could always summon the phantom NPC to help you which are there for most bosses and since it is really easy to stay human that option is always there and make the fight an almost guaranteed win. The dragons were just plain weak which was very disappointing. There really were no mini bosses that were a challenge. It seems the developers made it sound like it was going to be much more difficult to get more sales because it was definitely not a challenge. The boss weapons were all crap. No point in even saving the boss souls for them because the ones that were good had some major flaw like the durability was low or something. Dying is not a big deal in Dark Souls II because you only lose a very small fraction of your health. On my third character I was able to make it through the entire game and only died about 7 times due to stupidity such as falling off a cliff or something. The conditions, such as poison or curse, barely do anything to even a character that is not resistant to them. On top of that the targeting system is jacked and rarely works how you want it to. The covenants are great if you love multiplayer but if you do not there are only a select few that will benefit you offline. With that being said there are a few things that were good about the game.

One thing I thought was a major improvement was the PC controls. They are a little confusing at first but after a while of messing around with them it is just like playing any other game. The graphics are awesome and the developers did an amazing job on that but can also be scaled down far enough to work on a crap PC. The bonfire jumping, although it makes the game easier, I thought it was an improvement. There are also many easily missed secrets which may keep you interested through your second play through.

I would rate the individual parts of the game as follows.
    Graphics 10/10
    Controls 9/10
    Gameplay 2/10
    Difficulty 1/10
    Multiplayer 5/10

To sum this up I would say it is a fun game but if you want a true souls game play Demon Souls or the first Dark Souls because the developers like many others are just pumping these things out for money now.
  77. Jul 13, 2016
    After playing it for more than 100+ hours combined through Steam & other means of playing it I can safely say that it is terrible & it will always be terrible. The game itself griefs you in its overall design. It's like, that **** at a party who's just there to be an **** He wants to make you have a bad time, piss you off & **** your girlfriend while you're tied down forced to watch.After playing it for more than 100+ hours combined through Steam & other means of playing it I can safely say that it is terrible & it will always be terrible. The game itself griefs you in its overall design. It's like, that **** at a party who's just there to be an **** He wants to make you have a bad time, piss you off & **** your girlfriend while you're tied down forced to watch. That's pretty much DS2 in a nutshell. A hard game for the sake of being hard & an **** for the sake of being an **** **** this game in its entirety Expand
  78. Feb 19, 2016
    terrible graphics. no story. everything can kill you like you were nothing, and then you lose all your progress. Character creation is terrible. The gear looks awful. The controls are counter intuitive. There are still no way to pause the game (so if you have a life, forget this game). You cant even select the difficulty level. Give a extra super elite difficulty level for the gameterrible graphics. no story. everything can kill you like you were nothing, and then you lose all your progress. Character creation is terrible. The gear looks awful. The controls are counter intuitive. There are still no way to pause the game (so if you have a life, forget this game). You cant even select the difficulty level. Give a extra super elite difficulty level for the game fanatics to shut them up and make them feel like they were atlease half of a man playing your game in their mother's basement. And give us a casual setting for the people that come back from a hard days work and just wanna chill and relax. Expand
  79. Jul 2, 2016
    I strongly dis-recommend this game.
    I don't mind hardcore games, I don't mind extremely hard games that require me to retry the same part hundreds of times.
    But dodging a monster for it to be able to turn towards you *during* it's attack is unacceptable for me, but that's the least of an issue with this game. The PC version is not made to be played with a controller. But the PC version
    I strongly dis-recommend this game.
    The PC version is not made to be played with a controller.
    But the PC version is not made to be played with a mouse and keyboard either...
    All the graphics recommend controller buttons, yet it is impossible to customize the controls on the controller.

I desperately wanted to like this game seeing all the good reviews I saw of it and when I began playing, I already expected it to be hard and likely very frustrating, but I certainly did not expect the many flaws of the game and the lazy developers.

To finish it all off, the game is online and you can get banned for modding even though it's mainly a single player game, no thanks.

I regret my purchase, maybe it would've been worth it for 2$ but certainly not 28$.
  80. Apr 27, 2016
    The game is not supposed to be played with keyboard+mouse. You have to google how to play this game with keyboard and mouse and download and run some scripts before you can play this game using a regular gaming PC. I am quite sure that the people who are giving this game anything above 5 are doing so for non-PC version of this game. The least the game developers should have done is to showThe game is not supposed to be played with keyboard+mouse. You have to google how to play this game with keyboard and mouse and download and run some scripts before you can play this game using a regular gaming PC. I am quite sure that the people who are giving this game anything above 5 are doing so for non-PC version of this game. The least the game developers should have done is to show the correct key-bindings (instead of a triangle) while interacting with the environment. These are the reasons that I doubt I will ever be finishing this game. Expand
  81. Sep 18, 2014
    Never have I been so close to ragequitting/uninstalling a game only to end up enjoying every second of it. Steep learning curve and a throwback to when games were actually challenging and didn't hold your hand all the way through. Intense atmosphere and thrilling gameplay. So many various routes to take to play through and a very rewarding sense of accomplishment every time you make itNever have I been so close to ragequitting/uninstalling a game only to end up enjoying every second of it. Steep learning curve and a throwback to when games were actually challenging and didn't hold your hand all the way through. Intense atmosphere and thrilling gameplay. So many various routes to take to play through and a very rewarding sense of accomplishment every time you make it past that seemingly undefeatable boss. Runs flawlessly on PC at the time of my purchase. Not a scrappy co sole port like some user's have suggested. An Xbox controller recommended for the best experience. Expand
  82. Jul 11, 2014
    Amazing game! Unusual and incredibly hard! I cant remember how many times I felt so frustrated in a single game. Hundreds of deaths, ton of butthurt and fun! I played on my big tv at the evening with gamepad and I didnt meet any problems other people talk here. That was awesome! It is super cool if the game is hard.
  83. Jun 20, 2014
    Great game and decent port.
    Still not the "great PC experience" the developpers promised us, but it has a solid framerate and if you have a controller, Dark Souls 2 is a lot of fun. I highly recommend it.
  84. Jul 3, 2014
    The game runs very well. Dark Souls 2 is superior to Dark Souls 1 in every way except they don't have Solaire. But besides that, you can still praise the sun. Dark Souls 2 had more memorable characters that you can relate to. Not everything is all Dank and Dark. There are some very bright places which make you want to go back there again. However, the story is still strong with its lore,The game runs very well. Dark Souls 2 is superior to Dark Souls 1 in every way except they don't have Solaire. But besides that, you can still praise the sun. Dark Souls 2 had more memorable characters that you can relate to. Not everything is all Dank and Dark. There are some very bright places which make you want to go back there again. However, the story is still strong with its lore, but just like the original Dark Souls, it's presentation is terrible. It's as bad as the original game that you need to look up Youtube videos explaining it. The game could have used more cut-scenes. But unlike most games, this game puts up a decent challenge but Magic is still overpowered. And too many **** spam it all the time that you need a big ass magic shield to carry with you. It's a great game. A worthy successor. I only wished that they had better storytelling. Expand
  85. May 25, 2014
    This is my revised review without playing DS1 before . At my first time play through, I gave this game 0 out of 10 because of terrible port. I almost ditched this game but on a second thought, I gave it another try by overlooking bad port and poor graphic. This time I really enjoyed the game. I spent 100 hours+ with this game, played it till the end and still want to play more so I wouldThis is my revised review without playing DS1 before . At my first time play through, I gave this game 0 out of 10 because of terrible port. I almost ditched this game but on a second thought, I gave it another try by overlooking bad port and poor graphic. This time I really enjoyed the game. I spent 100 hours+ with this game, played it till the end and still want to play more so I would like you guys to read my review first, you will understand why this game has a lot of lovers and haters at the same time, and whether this game suits your taste or not.

Let me start with the bad port first. As many negative reviewers said, this game has a abysmal console port EVER !. If you have controller, you will not have the issue. Nevertheless, if you have only keyboard + mouse, You will have to spend 1-2 hours learning how to play with keyboard. Even after you know how to do every moveset, you still have a delay. Anyway, you still can play this game with keyboard + mouse. Me too struggled at first but now totally fine.

Second, the Graphic is unacceptable if you compare to PC RPG game nowadays. So even without keyboard issue, this game cannot get perfect score. No zooming to the face when you talk to NPC, NPC mouth is shut. Character creation is bare bone. Begining cinematic is a lie. You will not see cinematic like that again in the game. The only cinematics left are seen when you fight a boss, which most of them are mediocre.

Third, there is a very little story in this game, or I could say this game has no story at all, no quest or whatever. You just have to put yourself through the end of the game, that's it. This game is pretty much like a hack&slash game if you ask me.

However, even with these very poor features, this game still has its huge merit, that is THE CHARISMA of the game. or in another word, THE CHALLENGE, which is very unique if it is compared with most RPG games in the market. EVERY TIME YOU DIE, THE GAME WILL PUNISH YOU, this concept adds the unique tense that I never had before in other games. Every death will decrease your maximum HP 5 - 10% per time and If you die again before getting to the spot that you just died, you will lose all your souls accumulated, which can be a huge loss since you have to use souls to up your lv and spend stuffs. Of course, you cannot save your game. This rule will force you focus on the game and be cautious to every corner, traps and enemy. "I must survive ! I must not die" these are what you will chanting in your mind while playing the game. There are checkpoints (bonfire) available though, however many times checkpoints are far from each other, so if you die along the way, you will have to run from the start again.

Game Mechanic is also very awesome. I blamed it in my first review but that was because of my inexperience. This game when you click attack button, it means you just committed the attack, you cannot cancel it and you will be vulnerable at that time. This force you to play more carefully. Most of enemies in the game can be defeated only by skill not by your lv or equipment. You just need to understand its attack-pattern, dodge and attack at the right time. Boss's fights are so epic and super excited. I still remember how hard when I fought will Last Giant, the first boss and Pursuer, the second boss first time. I spent more than 2 hours to beat them. I died a lot, many times I made mistakes just when I was about to finished them off ( wanna cry). I even almost gave up. However, after I defeated them, I felt very satisfied. The feeling that you conquer the game on your own perseverance will emerge.To me, there is no game giving the winning feeling as big as this one.

Multiplayer, another thing that I must mention no matter what. This game has a VERY GOOD MULTIPLAYER, which I've never expected from RPG games. PVE, you can summon your friends to help you fight or can go to help in your friend's world. Thus, if you feel like the game is too hard, you can summon help anytime. More importantly, PVP IS THE BEAST, fighting the others is very fun. A lot of weapon have its own moveset, making the fight very diverse. There is no best weapon nor best armor in the game. Moreover, you can invade the other's world forcefully by using items, ambush poor guy while he is busy with his monsters, or be invaded yourself, or even become a helper who helps newbie fight with invader. However, for me, in a high lv 200+, the game will start to be less fun in PVP since everyone will use the same style due to the stat soft cap and soul mem matching is unreasonable.

In sum, I have a lot of fun with this game but I cannot give perfect score because those bad aspects. So here is my quick brief review

IF YOU WANT THE GAME WITH AN AMAZING GRAPHIC, EXCELLENT STORY that has various of choices and memorable NPC. This game is absolutely ์NOT for you.

However, IF YOU WANT A INTENSE CHALLENGING GAMEPLAY and GREAT PVP, this game is a must try !. I hope DLC will come soon :>
  86. Jun 12, 2014
    this game is so fun and amazing when I first got on after 2 min I instantly died after sometime I got the hang of it and tried online overall this game is great and people should check it out
  87. Jul 11, 2014
    Few times you're going to cross with such a well constructed game. There are critics to it but in this rare case none can ever change the fact that this is an absolute masterpiece, enjoyable from the begining to the end. It is a hardcore game and if you don't want challenges, this is not for you. The game is mysterious and unforgivable, you're going to die a lot. But don't worry, thereFew times you're going to cross with such a well constructed game. There are critics to it but in this rare case none can ever change the fact that this is an absolute masterpiece, enjoyable from the begining to the end. It is a hardcore game and if you don't want challenges, this is not for you. The game is mysterious and unforgivable, you're going to die a lot. But don't worry, there will be plenty of rewards and each weapon or costume you receive will look like water in the desert, an eternal relief and a great hope for the future of your journey.

Now, to the criticism. Firstly, the multiplayer: it is enjoyable for a while, but then you encounter the inevitable jerks who are virtually undefeatable due to overpowered weapons. Secondly, the ending is just so vague, sudden and anti-climatic... it is not the same as the first one where vagueness gave it a certain charm or glamour, now it feels like someone ran dry of ideas and tried to terminate the project before it went downhill.

Nevertheless, a collection item, one day this will be remembered certainly as one of the best games of the decade.
  88. Jul 16, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is a masterpiece. Well, almost a masterpiece. Dark Souls 2 is VERY challenging. However, not as challenging as the first, and probably more approachable to newcomers of the series. First off, the gameplay is amazing. I found myself sitting through late hours of the night mashing away at cruel and punishing enemies. I died, ALOT. But thats a part of the games appeal. WhenDark Souls 2 is a masterpiece. Well, almost a masterpiece. Dark Souls 2 is VERY challenging. However, not as challenging as the first, and probably more approachable to newcomers of the series. First off, the gameplay is amazing. I found myself sitting through late hours of the night mashing away at cruel and punishing enemies. I died, ALOT. But thats a part of the games appeal. When you finally get through that tough boss that took you hours to finish, its one of the most rewarding experiences you will ever feel. Besides the gameplay (which is near perfect), the lore is also a very interesting part of the game's story as well. Dark souls 2 isnt direct with its story line at all. In fact, the only way your going to end up understanding most of the story behind different bosses, or the land of Drangilec, is by reading up on the history of specific items and souls you get through the game. You'll also be able to talk to different npcs during your playthrough. The reason im not giving this game a perfect score is because doesnt feel all that original. Many bosses, weapons, and even some different areas of the game all feel like they were almost copy and pasted from the original Dark Souls. Also, the game doesnt always feel 100% fair like the first one did. What i mean by this, is that in some areas of the game, you'll encounter enemies or bosses that'll slide and move in your direction as you try to evade. You'll understand if you play the game, and i HIGHLY recommend that you play this near masterpiece. Expand
  89. Aug 22, 2014
    Really liked the game, the difficulty is present, but it is always in abundance, and if you lose everything, it is not particularly difficult to return to the state of readiness, the story is quite extensive, there are certainly problems with the fact that I got used to easy games, hard to get used to the fact that skipped beats can be lethal, even when you're in heavy armor and all pastReally liked the game, the difficulty is present, but it is always in abundance, and if you lose everything, it is not particularly difficult to return to the state of readiness, the story is quite extensive, there are certainly problems with the fact that I got used to easy games, hard to get used to the fact that skipped beats can be lethal, even when you're in heavy armor and all past shocks could. Expand
  90. Sep 4, 2014
    this game is truely exquisite, one of my favourites of this generation. However its predecessor was superior in almost every way. this has a lot of fake difficulty and the enemy designs, while servicable, are uninspired compared to dark souls 1

don't get me wrong, i'd rather be playing dark souls 2 than most other games from the last 5 years, but dark souls 1 is just far superior
  91. Sep 17, 2014
    I think DARK SOULS II is indeed the best RPG game I´ve ever played, there are so many games like that, but nothing compares. Thanks for bringing back this incredible simulation of death!
  92. Jul 3, 2015
    I, personally, had no issue with the game on PC nor did I have issue with the game on ps3 - This review on is based solely off of the quality of the game, not the PC port. Dark Souls 2 is often slated for not being 'what the promised' and not being as good as Dark Souls 1, I agree with this. They dumbed down certain features and reduced the quality of the game of PC, and the PvE in theI, personally, had no issue with the game on PC nor did I have issue with the game on ps3 - This review on is based solely off of the quality of the game, not the PC port. Dark Souls 2 is often slated for not being 'what the promised' and not being as good as Dark Souls 1, I agree with this. They dumbed down certain features and reduced the quality of the game of PC, and the PvE in the game (the story line included) was not anywhere near the same level as Dark Souls 1. However, what kept me playing this game for 700 hours+ was instead the PvP. A drastic improvement over Dark Souls 1, with better connectivity, quicker weapons and what I felt was a higher skill cap, due to the new parrying/backstab system. I am aware that there are some that think Dark Souls 1 PvP was superior, but for me, Dark Souls 2 really fixed the issues of Dark Souls 1 PvP. Expand
  93. Oct 5, 2014
    Seeing so many bad reviews I had to re-address the situation for what is an incredible game. I played the first Dark Souls on the Xbox and thus moving onto DS2 on the PC the graphics were much more polished and fluid, a BIG difference. Game play is hard but definitely rewarding, and love the way you can multiplayer the bosses etc.

One of the best games I've played ever, that says a lot

One of the best games I've played ever, that says a lot considering I've been playing games across multiple formats for many a year.Loved it!

I play with the xbox 360 controller which is fine, and anyone playing with a keyboard and mouse should go out and but a xbox adapter and a 360 controller as so many games now support this
  94. Jun 20, 2015
    Like many people, i loved the original Dark Souls. The second is at least is good as the first. Sure, it doesn't attain the level of world design the first one boasted, but the combat made up for it. From did a much better job porting this to PC. I don't care that much about the graphics being downgraded. The only real gripe i can have is that the boss battles are not as satisfying as theLike many people, i loved the original Dark Souls. The second is at least is good as the first. Sure, it doesn't attain the level of world design the first one boasted, but the combat made up for it. From did a much better job porting this to PC. I don't care that much about the graphics being downgraded. The only real gripe i can have is that the boss battles are not as satisfying as the original. Fingers crossed for DS3 bring the best of the previous souls game; marrying the new combat with the old world design and boss fights. A solid 9 in my book. Expand
  95. May 9, 2014
    This is crappy console port from a lazy developer. I'm a PC gamer with keyboard/mouse and the controls are clunky. They can't even bother to change the controller pad prompts onscreen. with the game working against you prepare to get frustrated as you will die often. The graphics, even at ultra high settings, are nothing special. Terribly disappointed. Erased it off my hard driveThis is crappy console port from a lazy developer. I'm a PC gamer with keyboard/mouse and the controls are clunky. They can't even bother to change the controller pad prompts onscreen. with the game working against you prepare to get frustrated as you will die often. The graphics, even at ultra high settings, are nothing special. Terribly disappointed. Erased it off my hard drive after a few hours. Expand
  96. Mar 27, 2015
    Absolutely steer clear of this game if you're a true PC Gamer like myself. Do NOT fall for reviews on Gamespot or even my beloved PCGamer.

This game is really a console game. You get constant messages with "press this console button" and it is up to you to delve into huge lists of incomprehensible key bindings to try and figure out which button they meant, what it is on your PC and then it ends up not doing what you think it is supposed to do.

If you are looking forward to click "control + mousewheel", then "shift + double click right mouse button" and still not getting it, or painfully trying to re-do an entire list of dozens and dozens of key bindings, this is your game.

The fact that the graphics are not at all what you'd hope for such a recent game.... that the controls, inventory system and menu options so cumbersome... and that the voice acting is poor and the script inane at best, make it that it is a struggle to even get through one hour of this nightmarish endeavour.

Avoid like plague. And I don't say that often. But seriously. No.
  97. Mar 25, 2015
    I've always been a supporter of From Software. I bought Demon's Souls when it released in Korea because I wasn't sure they would release it in the states. When it did release in the states, I bought it again for my friend who loved playing it at my house. When Dark Souls came out, I bought it for the PS3 and played through most of it, and when they released a really bad port of it on PC II've always been a supporter of From Software. I bought Demon's Souls when it released in Korea because I wasn't sure they would release it in the states. When it did release in the states, I bought it again for my friend who loved playing it at my house. When Dark Souls came out, I bought it for the PS3 and played through most of it, and when they released a really bad port of it on PC I bought it again just to have it on a preferred platform. I bought Dark Souls II for PC on pre-order partly because of the atmosphere that was advertised, but when it actually released I found it was a gimped version with barely any dynamic lighting, no SSAO, and low-res textures. I even paid full price for DLC in-spite of my anti-DLC stance, just to show them there is a market for their games. Finally the developers are putting out a version of Dark Souls II that promises to fix and optimize these issues, but instead of giving me that "fixed" version as a free patch, they are telling me and all the other players who have supported them that they want another $30 or more for that privilege.

They are charging current PC users to unlock the improved performance that we were promised when we first bought the game.
  98. May 20, 2014
    It's a decent game, but it just doesn't match up to the first Dark Souls at all.

The port...well it does the job but once again, no keyboard prompts/onscreen buttons it only shows the Xbawks controller buttons so you have to figure out yourself what the keys do...I still can't figure out how to do a guard break attack or a jump attack. Game takes a while to understand when you want to run sometimes too. Really poor effort by From there.

The story is the biggest letdown. It's mediocre and uninteresting and recycles too much from the first game. No motivation to make you feel like there's a point to what you are doing or achieving. I was able to start the game and go all the way to collecting one of the four 'great souls' (Lost Sinner) in a couple hours without realising it was meant to be one of the 'big' boss fights. Nor did I ever really feel overwhelmed by the bosses or enemies along the way.

The first game presented the story to you in a way that you understood what your goals were and what you had to do and it let you figure out a lot by talking to NPC's or reading item descriptions. It was brilliant in the way it did that...Dark Souls II just has you running around with only the vaguest idea of what is going on or what you are meant to do.

NPC's in the game are not memorable the way Solaire or Lautrec were in the first game. Not anywhere near it. The forced reliance on the Emerald Herald for levelling up was annoying, especially as she has the same lines and just repeats them over and over and over for 95% of the game.

Locations don't feel right spatially, areas that are on the horizon take 40 seconds to run to through underground corridors (ie, Majula to Heide). Some areas (reached through branching corridors) overlap each other. Drangleic Castle was a huge disappointment. Shrine of Amana is the prettiest area in the game but you'll be spending 90% of your time there looking at the water so you don't fall off a hidden ledge.

One big mistake IMO was being able to teleport between bonfires right from the start. It's admittedly 'convenient' for sure, but it sacrifices so much of the tension and moodiness that made the first game so great. The Catacombs/Depths/Blighttown from the first game wouldn't have been anywhere near as scary or painful to get through if you could just warp out from them whenever you felt like it.

Graphics are pretty, combat is harder due to trash mobs being more aggressive with a greater range of movesets and more health. You can get stun-locked rather easily now, which isn't such a good thing, and enemies don't actually take advantage of that much. You have to level up Adaptability to get rolling to be any good as you have very low i-frames at the start.

The bosses are a letdown for the most part. Way too many generic 'large humanoid boss with giant hurty weapons that they spam the same 3-hit combo with' for my liking. Very few bosses are actually challenging or bring fresh ideas to the table. Some are just reskinned bosses from the first game and one is literally the same boss. All you have to do to beat 70% of the bosses in this game is to hump their right leg and keep moving clockwise around them.

The (optional) true final boss in particular is a joke...you have to spend ages collecting special items to even make it possible to kill him (if you don't he has 32x his normal defence values) and even then the battle is basically spending an hour praying that you don't make a single mistake because if you do, and the boss then uses his 3-hit combo you are instantly one shotted, no matter the armor or shield you have equipped.

Soul Memory is an amazingly **** mechanic, you can read up on it elsewhere but it's so mindbogglingly dumb and ruins PvP or coop play as you'll have to keep recreating characters just to play with ppl online.

It's much harder to farm rare items now as enemies will stop spawning after they have been killed 10 times, and the only way to get them back is to deliberately choose to burn a Bonfire Ascetic which allows them to respawn another 10 times at harder difficulties.

Sorceries, miracles, pyromancies and hexes are amazingly OP and let you breeze through the game. Some even let you one shot ppl in PvP no matter the health or armor they have. There's plenty of lag and people abusing broken mechanics as well.

Overall it's a disappointment compared to the first and doesn't even feel like the game that was promised by all the early trailers.
  99. Feb 9, 2015
    Since from software is shafting the pc users by not giving us a free upgrade to the scholar of the first sin, I am changing this rating to 0 for deceptive marketing.
  100. May 11, 2014
    I've given this game 5 days, but I give up it blows. The pc port is terrible, controls are the main problem tooltips do not update to the keybinds you select they always reference xbox360 controls. It should not take an hour to figure out how to use a damn torch either. It is not fun, it is not and rpg, it has a lousy tutorial and horrible help system . If u bought it read the wiki forI've given this game 5 days, but I give up it blows. The pc port is terrible, controls are the main problem tooltips do not update to the keybinds you select they always reference xbox360 controls. It should not take an hour to figure out how to use a damn torch either. It is not fun, it is not and rpg, it has a lousy tutorial and horrible help system . If u bought it read the wiki for a few hours if you haven't don't bother. Expand

1. CD-Action
    Jul 23, 2014
    This game’s playability puts to shame everything that’s been released for the new generation of consoles. [06/2014, p.54]
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Jun 6, 2014
    The definitive Dark Souls II experience, the latest entry to The Souls series shines on the PC. [June 2014, p.50]
  3. Jun 5, 2014
    If you’re a fan of hardcore games, try Dark Souls 2. It is not as memorable as its predecessor, and yet it is still a phenomenal experience.