7.3

1. Jan 9, 2013
    This is one of the best Action-RPGs ever released on PC and one of the worst ports ever released on PC. But I give score for quality of game itself, and that's why Dark Souls gets 10. It is just brilliant.
  2. Dec 30, 2012
    With DSfix and controller it is absolutely amazing game. AI could be smarter, but game is still challenging.
  3. Sep 30, 2012
    In my opinion the game is just excellent! 10 out of 10! But there are flaws ... PC Controls!

Why? Here's the answer: 1. This is an RPG with a purely Japanese approach to game development, that is, "It's not like everyone else!" You start playing and you realize that you do not understand anything! Game haven't any training, you learn all game aspects yourself! For me this is a huge

Why? Here's the answer:
    1. This is an RPG with a purely Japanese approach to game development, that is, "It's not like everyone else!" You start playing and you realize that you do not understand anything! Game haven't any training, you learn all game aspects yourself! For me this is a huge plus, because i tired of the games, in which devs lead you by the hand, press x to win, etc. This is too simple...
    2. Beautiful design of locations, great gameplay (and even hardcore, which makes "you perspiring"), awesome and wonderful bosses and enemies, the attractive atmosphere, unusual RPG elements and moar everything!

I really loved this game! Sorry for bad English, I'm Russian. Thanks for reading my review)
    Be ware haters)))
  4. Jan 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THIS GAME IS AMAZING! This game have everything, with this game you can be Anger, Happy, Sad, and all at the same time. I Already played 100 hours of this game, and i can't complete it yet (i'm close). Every person who says "this game is bad" is because he hasn't enough skills, i play this game with my Keyboard and I really appreciate this kind of games, 'cause this game is Hard, is a real challenger. Expand
  5. Mar 27, 2013
    Great game greats people!!!! horror best rpg game. The best game-play I've played. The first game is sunk into the soul. Look forward to Dark Souls 2.
  6. May 7, 2013
    Giving this game a 10 is, for me, dependant on the following three conditions:

1. Use a gamepad (xbox 360, ps3 controlers are fine). The game does not play well with keyboard and mouse but fantastically with a gamepad. 2. Install dsfix for resolutions beyond 720p and fram rates above 30 fps. This will make the game look quite beautiful. Through this fix you can also disable depth of
    Giving this game a 10 is, for me, dependant on the following three conditions:

2. Install dsfix for resolutions beyond 720p and fram rates above 30 fps. This will make the game look quite beautiful. Through this fix you can also disable depth of field, which makes the game look much crisper. (There are excellent instructions included with the fix.)

3. Install dscfix to improve your pve and pvp experience. Unfortunately the game uses peer-to-peer connections through Games of Windows Live for multiplayer and sometimes it can be very hard to establish connections. With this fix, you can easily connect to anyone with whom you are friends on GfWL.

Some would argue that a game should be perfect "out of the box", but in this case the developer From Software had a very limited budget with which to port the game to the PC. Hence the lacking graphics features, for instance. Installing the mods is very easy though and it lets you enjoy the game to its fullest. As a gamer I don't mind doing my part to maximize my experience with a game.

Story
    The game is very sparse in what it lets you know, but you can draw conclusions along the way and there are clues that will let you piece together some of the many curious things you see and hear during your travels through Lordaeron. Should you want to read them, there are excellent online articles that explain the story in detail. There is quite a bit of drama going on, both in the present and in the past.

Graphics
    Out of the box, the game looks blurry and the frame rate is capped at 30 fps. You can fix this though with the above mentioned mod, dsfix, and once you have, it looks fantastic. All the armor and equipment is extremely well designed with amazing attention to detail. The enivironments are cleverly crafted with excellent atmosphere. At times you will dread even taking a single step forward.

Sound
    The sound is rather minimalistic, but in a fitting way. Heavier armor makes noise when you run or roll, weapons sound realistic when they hit enemies, shields, walls etc. There is not a lot of music, as the environments speak a lot for themselves, but the boss battles.. well, you'll see.

Gameplay
    PVE: The game is about knowing what you're up against and a certain amount of skill. So expect a stiff challenge early on. The level design is great because it allows you to explore the world in a non-linear fashion. You may wander off in a direction that sets up against brutal enemies and that is usually a sign that perhaps you should go elsewhere for the time being. There are, however, hints in the game as to where you should go, albeit in loose terms.

Bosses are well designed for the most part and some of them are very difficult initially. It can take a while to nail down a boss fight, but stay with it because eventually you will figure out what you need to do.

There is plenty of gear and spells to be had by finding secret places, and getting there is a lot more rewarding if you managed it yourself by way of exploration. One awesome aspect of Dark Souls is the many different paths you can take with your character's development. Do you like to wield fast rapiers, long spears, huge two-handed weapons, or perhaps fist weapons? You can specialize in whatever you like and upgrade your favorite weapons along numerous paths such as lightning, magic, faith, occult, fire and chaos. Then there's magic as well, two different schools (three, kind of, with the expansion which is included in the pc version). Armor comes in tons of variations as well and in the end not too many characters in Dark Souls will ever look the same. Some even follow guides to outfit their characters like favorite characters from other games, such as Castlevania. There is no limit to the amount of awesome builds and ideas you can come up with, and this becomes even more intriguing PVP.

PVP and Co-op: This is where the game gets really interesting after a while. Initially it can be very annoying, however, as you can get invaded and killed by fellow players. The good thing is you can summon others to help you and you can let them summon you into their playthroughs. Is a boss giving you all you can handle and more? Summon a friendly phantom, bow to it when it appears and go to town on the boss! There will come a time when you realize what areas are prone to invasion and you might even linger there for some good duels. Depending on how you built your character, you will fare well or badly versus certain builds. It's a bit of rock-paper-scissor, but your skill will go a long way and since you can have multiple weapons, shields and spells equipped to change around, you will have a fair bit of flexibility.There is a lot more to PVP and co-operation in Dark Souls but I'll let you find out the rest for yourself.

There is no space for rounding this off properly. So, GLFH!
  7. Jun 25, 2013
    I'll keep this short, since it's a simple breakdown.

The game is amazing. It's possibly the most immersive and fluid gem of our generation. Combat is excellent, the art style is sublime, and the story that exists is told through clever hints that allow the player to discover the world on their own, without being spoon-fed. Dark Souls is one of the best games of all time. Having said
    I'll keep this short, since it's a simple breakdown.

Having said that, the PC port is just horrible. Optimization is okay, but unreliable at times. Beyond that, mouse and keyboard controls are totally inane, and the resolution is capped at 720p. HOWEVER, there's a simple mod called DSfix that uncaps the framerate and fixes most of the other issues as well. It's a completely essential mod that turns Dark Souls from a bad port into a pretty decent port.

Here's the summary:
    If you plan on using DSfix, get this game for the PC now. It's an epic experience and it comes bundled with amazing DLC.
    If you absolutely will not use DSfix for some reason, you're better off saving yourself the trouble and getting a console version.
  8. Mar 30, 2013
    I really appreciate how namco bandai answered to that petition signed by pc gamers for the release of this game on this platform. They respected what people demanded and its really respectable to us as well. Dark Souls is a different kind of game where DEATH is part of the gamelpay. You die, you get punished, but u will get better. Dark Souls is a game where players choses their characterI really appreciate how namco bandai answered to that petition signed by pc gamers for the release of this game on this platform. They respected what people demanded and its really respectable to us as well. Dark Souls is a different kind of game where DEATH is part of the gamelpay. You die, you get punished, but u will get better. Dark Souls is a game where players choses their character based on the pre-defined classes and roll into a dark world which every corner of it holds a secret. Dark Souls its a semi open world and for you in order to finish the story must kill every boss in the game. you kill enemeis and gain souls, use souls to upgrade, use the BOSS souls to make weapon, Loot for better armor, try different weaposn and examine the enemies weak points, die and experiements till you learn the mechanism of the game thats the general formula. The world has a lot to explore and it might take you quiet long time to discover its secrets and you might still miss some of it :D this ediiton for the PC is packed with the DLC where the games takes place in another town. So actually you have a longer playthrough than the normal console version. the game roughly takes about 30-50 hours to complete for the first time. Gameplay is really awesome but its needs patience also so if you thing DARK SOULS is a hack and slash game do not go for it at all sadly graphics arent that much to hold up well with other PC titles, the resulations have problems and its just a scale up from 720 and its not a real 1080 if you want to run it on 1080. FPS is more smoother than the console version but its still a 30 FPS locked and sometimes it falls below but it doest hurts the gameplay that much. You also need a xbox controller to enjoy the game finally this game is an awesome experiece where you will feel the joy of victory, Expand
  9. May 26, 2014
    At first i was told "you won't like it, it's freaking hard" and i have a bad temper so i stayed
    away from this game then i was like "hell, why not" then i was like "How dare you keep me from this masterpiece!" lol with that said...

This game is everything i wanted in a sword and sorcery adventure game, I like that it doesn't have a set path to follow and bringing back true difficulty in gaming that i have not seen sense 1985 /1992 games.
    The graphics are not Directx11 but it still looks very amazing, they did well considering it's a port.
    Game play is solid, after a couple of hours you have it all down so no worries, from speed dodging techniques to tanking it up and going toe to toe you have a lot of choices here.
  10. Jun 9, 2013
    Decent game. the whole PVP system is a bit poor due to lag factors but all in all its a good challenging game. Graphics,plot, animations, characters...pretty nicely made. only real downside is the invasion things. people back-stab you from 30 meters in front of you.
  11. Jun 7, 2013
    My all time favorite game. Get this game. The game play is great and majority of the kinks in the game can be fixed with mods. Can't wait for Dark Souls 2!!!
  12. Apr 17, 2014
    The PC port is something to laugh at, but that is soon fixed by DSFix, DSCFix and possibly a few texture mods (really not needed though). The lore is fantastic, the locations are fast, the enemies are well designed and tough, and the online-play is absolutely marvellous; and designed to such a great degree. Oh, and make sure to be using a controller - an Xbox one for best results.The PC port is something to laugh at, but that is soon fixed by DSFix, DSCFix and possibly a few texture mods (really not needed though). The lore is fantastic, the locations are fast, the enemies are well designed and tough, and the online-play is absolutely marvellous; and designed to such a great degree. Oh, and make sure to be using a controller - an Xbox one for best results.

Overall a fantastic game. Definitely worth getting on the PC.
  13. Apr 20, 2014
    A lot of the problems of the port are gone! There is a mod that fixes the camera (my biggest issue actually), the resolution and even improves the visuals - the game actually looks better than on consoles. The controls are not bad, really. Yeah, it will take a while to get used to if you're new to the game, but honestly, it's not that bad. The game is perfectly playable with keyboard andA lot of the problems of the port are gone! There is a mod that fixes the camera (my biggest issue actually), the resolution and even improves the visuals - the game actually looks better than on consoles. The controls are not bad, really. Yeah, it will take a while to get used to if you're new to the game, but honestly, it's not that bad. The game is perfectly playable with keyboard and mouse, and I actually prefer it over a controller. If you don't believe me, look up "Dark Souls Mouse Fix". It makes the camera control with the mouse super smooth. In fact, in my personal experience keyboard+mouse controls are more precise that those of controllers.

As far as the game itself, there is not much to say asides from it being a complete masterpiece. Fun and addictive combat. Mysterious, dark atmosphere, cool environments. And an intriguing storyline, the presentation of which is very, very unique. The game is very challenging, and yeah, some aspects of it can be quite difficult, especially if you're new to the game.

In short, an amazing, epic journey that you will not easily forget. Getting used to the somewhat untraditional keyboard controls is IMO a small sacrifice for the privilege of experiencing this masterpiece.
  14. Nov 20, 2013
    First impression: console crap, terrible port, bad mouse+keyboard controls etc. After fixing all the port-related problems with DSFix, buying a 360 controller and 500+ hours of gameplay later: the best RPG of this generation and definitely one of the true masterpieces of video gaming history. Beautiful dark fantasy world, captivating atmosphere full of isolation and despair, well-hidden,First impression: console crap, terrible port, bad mouse+keyboard controls etc. After fixing all the port-related problems with DSFix, buying a 360 controller and 500+ hours of gameplay later: the best RPG of this generation and definitely one of the true masterpieces of video gaming history. Beautiful dark fantasy world, captivating atmosphere full of isolation and despair, well-hidden, but complex story, great responsive combat system, unique multiplayer elements and extremely addictive gameplay. Yes, this can be a very challenging piece at your first playthrough, but as you learn from your mistakes and your skill goes through natural progress, you're slowly becoming a master and you will eventually fall in love with this beast. 10/10 Expand
  15. Dec 13, 2013
    I don't understand how people can give this game a zero rating, this is one of the best games ever made, the addon allows 60 fps and greatly improves the texture, provided you install the addon the pc version is much better than the console version, though I'd highly recommend using a controller preferably 360) as the game is not as fun without one.
  16. Jan 16, 2014
    This game is beauty.
    The port isn't great, it isn't playable with mouse and keyboard, but this game is the reason why I bought a 360 controller for my pc, and I can say it's worth it.
    This game is beauty.

Game is hard and punishing, but has a really customizable gameplay: there are several fighting styles, you may farm souls to level up early or just stay at level 1 the whole game, and the game is open world.

Buy this game if you miss the good old days, where games weren't pay2win or designed for people who don't want to think, just win.
  17. Aug 28, 2012
    One of the greatest games of our generation. As for those complaining about the PC port, let me quote the Eurogamer review for you:

"In general, the arguments are wearying and all that needs to be said is this: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition does not come with the technical options you would expect from a well-engineered PC game, because it's a port of a console game, and that's all From Software ever promised to deliver. Anyone who passes up Dark Souls for this reason is cutting off their nose to spite their neckbeard of a face."

If you pass up Dark Souls because you have to patch it to unlock it's resolution or because you might want a gamepad, you're denying yourself one of the best gaming experiences in years for easily overcome technical reasons. That's like skipping an amazingly cooked dinner because you have to drive to a friends house to eat it.
  18. Aug 28, 2012
    Game of the decade.

The port isn't bad per se, rather, it's a 1:1 conversion from the console version but it requires a gamepad. Resolution-lock can be easily disabled, and the resulting upscale shows a game which looks better than the likes of Skyrim and Mass Effect, despite being made on a far smaller budget and originally developed for consoles, not PC. As for the game itself,
    Game of the decade.

As for the game itself, tight combat, immense replay value, deep gameplay mechanics, once again, best game of the past 10 years.
  19. Aug 3, 2013
    While I did have major gripes about the PC version earlier they proved to be easily fixed with DSfix. Even with the problems this port has I still feel it deserves the highest praise just because the game is so incredible. The two warnings I have are that the game is very bad at explaining itself I didn't know what poise was, for example, a major facet of the game, and you have to look itWhile I did have major gripes about the PC version earlier they proved to be easily fixed with DSfix. Even with the problems this port has I still feel it deserves the highest praise just because the game is so incredible. The two warnings I have are that the game is very bad at explaining itself I didn't know what poise was, for example, a major facet of the game, and you have to look it up to learn. The other is that it exists to fill a very specific niche. If it fills that for you, then there is no finer game this generation. The game is a game of skill, not luck while it is renowned for its difficulty once you learn the ins and outs of combat it quickly becomes much better, though still challenging. For a game ported straight from consoles it looks wonderful. The boss battles are tense and exciting and will often destroy you, but even then are still fun. with the flaws it has I feel that it excels at everything it does and deserves incredible praise. I could go on about how incredible Dark Souls is, but the basis is, you should play this game. It deserves it and so do you. Expand
  20. Aug 27, 2012
    Forget the porting problem. It's all fixable... If you can see past the technicall issues you have one of the best games ever made. Download DS fix from Dante and plug in the controller and you will see, that its not that bad of a port if you use this fix and a controller. If you are looking for a challenge and rewarding very good fighting system, then this is the game for you. Bosse's areForget the porting problem. It's all fixable... If you can see past the technicall issues you have one of the best games ever made. Download DS fix from Dante and plug in the controller and you will see, that its not that bad of a port if you use this fix and a controller. If you are looking for a challenge and rewarding very good fighting system, then this is the game for you. Bosse's are just amazingly done and the souls concept of the game really adds an interesting gameplay. If you die you're gonna want to get the souls back and you probably will die alot as the title say's :). I love that there are still some deep adult rpg's and not just hack and slash **** Diablo 3 can eat Dark Souls dust... I really urge you not to listen to the whining that it's a bad port. The game itself with the fix and an xbox controller is just amazing. Really recommend it! Expand
  21. Aug 26, 2012
    Maybe the graphics are outdated and the controls with the keyboard sucks, but if you play Dark Souls with a gamepad, the atmosphere, the story, the secrets, the monster, the difficulty, the playtime, the game depth will kick your ass and let you hate and love this game. Your heart will remember this fantastic game.

You want a game which you'll remember in ten years? Then play Dark Souls

You want a game which you'll remember in ten years? Then play Dark Souls - one of the best RPG of all time.
  22. Aug 26, 2012
    Okay it isn't the best of ports, but this is still a fantastic game. The key port issue for me was the resolution and this has now been corrected. A unique, compelling experience. Highly recommend.
  23. Aug 27, 2012
    First, I'm not giving this port a 10 to offset low scores. That's what I actually think the port deserves. It doesn't have many graphical options (though it has more than Darksiders 2 or Rage), but honestly the game is so easy to run you won't need many options. My GTX 460 768MB and 3.2Ghz Phenom II max it easily and keep it above the cap at all times. The 30fps cap, btw, is way smootherFirst, I'm not giving this port a 10 to offset low scores. That's what I actually think the port deserves. It doesn't have many graphical options (though it has more than Darksiders 2 or Rage), but honestly the game is so easy to run you won't need many options. My GTX 460 768MB and 3.2Ghz Phenom II max it easily and keep it above the cap at all times. The 30fps cap, btw, is way smoother than any 330fps cap I've ever seen. Borderlands at 30fps hurts my eyes, whereas a stable 30 in Dark Souls is smoother than a stable 60 in most games. It was made to run at 30 fps, the animations were recorded at 30 fps, and the cap is totally stable. It doesn't create minor inconsistancies like capping with Fraps (or any 3rd party program), so it's way smoother.

On graphics, at 720p this looks better than Skyrim on ultra at 1080p. If you download the simple resolution uncapper mod (it installs in literally 4 seconds), Dark Souls has amazing graphics. They're truly gorgeous at 1080p; dynamic rays radiate from the sun, the water flows and ripples around your legs with full mesh reflections, baked ambient occlusion makes the landscape look great, and the textures are ultra HD. The people saying they're low quality textures are forgetting that the game is forcing what looks like awful trilinear texture filtering by default. Switch to at least 8x Anisotropic in your video card drivers, and these textures are amazing. The game is optimized amazingly; a 9800 will give you PS3 performance, while my 460 blows it away completely. Anything higher just adds more room for forced SSAO through your drivers, and graphics mods.

On my 460 with the modded resolution uncapper allowing true 1080p instead of the fake effect that's in by default, Dark Souls looks comparable to The Witcher 2 and runs better. I'm not joking, this is just amazing. That one simple mod changes everything. To people who say you can't rate a game for mods, what about Skyrim? Without mods Skyrim's barely playable on the PC with the imprecise UI and heavy-handed aim assist.

People who say this is not optimized are no doubt looking at their graphics card as the culprit, but because it saves and loads constantly you need a strong cpu rather than a strong graphics card. This is why some people are getting low framerates with 660's; if you have an Intel Pentium at 2.3 Ghz your graphics card doesn't matter. A dual core i3 at at least 2.5Ghz should handle it fine, but my Phenom II at 3.2Ghz is above and beyond. An i5 at 3.0Ghz or an i7 at almost any speed would be above what you need. I rated Skyrim well, because of mods, and I rate Dark Souls well partially because of that one resolution uncapper. It's so simple and easy to install there's absolutely no reason not to have it.
    I will say that you NEED a gamepad to play this. The keys can be rebound (contrary to what some people posted here without even bothering to check), but mouse controls just aren't meant for this game. I love my gaming mouse for shooters and precision, but a gamepad just works way better in Dark Souls. You can use most PC gamepads and all 360 controllers. PS3 controllers also work great if you download a program like Motion Joy to allow your PS3 controller to work with a PC.

Aside from the port, the game itself is top-notch. Dark Souls is a perfect 10 in gameplay, style, lore, and just about everything else. I saved that for the PS3 review page, so I'm not going to fully cover it. It just has everything you could possibly want. Dark Souls has120+ hours of gameplay without touching New Game+ or the awesome online (btw, the online is now totally lag free if you have a decent internet connection). If you walk in snow, you leave footprints. You can dual wield or single-hand any weapon on the fly, and the dodging is superb and fluid. Capes flow in the wind, ambient sound effects and intense dark fantasy music add atmosphere, and nearly every clutter item can be shattered into individual boards and shards. A spindly chair or vases can be rolled through and crushed, while a heavy oaken table may require a full dive or an attack to break, but it all breaks dynamically. This makes the combat visceral and intense, and means that you have zero annoyances while dodging and diving around. The animations on all the unique enemies are amazing and sinuous, the art style is perfectly dark, and it's all skill. People say it's cheap because you're just as weak as the standard enemies you're fighting, but all that really means is you need more skill. The game is totally seamless, and virtually never loads once you start it up. It's so immersive it's breathtaking, and the spells, bows, and melee are all just fun and really smooth and responsive to use. The game lets you roam with quite a bit of freedom, and if you can see something you can walk to it eventually.

The new DLC is also great. It's all as high-quality as the best moments from the base game, so it's just peerless.
  24. Aug 27, 2012
    If you love Real games, get on here and make your voice heard. The game runs fine well enough on my rig and I could tell right away that it is indeed something special. Use a controller - get one for twenty bucks if you need to (I'm using a Logitech in the PS3 controller style), you are good to go. It Does take time to get used to the camera and controls - don't expect instantIf you love Real games, get on here and make your voice heard. The game runs fine well enough on my rig and I could tell right away that it is indeed something special. Use a controller - get one for twenty bucks if you need to (I'm using a Logitech in the PS3 controller style), you are good to go. It Does take time to get used to the camera and controls - don't expect instant gratification, like everyone is saying this is a real game not a hand-holder. FromSoftware deserves a ten for enduring the pain of porting this to the PC for us. Hurray! Expand
  25. Sep 2, 2012
    First of all, if you don't have a control pad, go get one, don't attempt to play it on keyboard and mouse because you will end up whining like all the other kids giving 0's to this game. This game might not be the best port, but it IS the best RPG in many years. Its completely playable on PC and I would even say I liked it more than on console.
    Pseudo-"reviewers" giving this a 0 because
    Pseudo-"reviewers" giving this a 0 because of the difficulty are just pathetic, the game is hard but not unfair. You have to learn how to play, the learning curve might be steep but with a bit of a brain and patience you will get and you'll realize why people love this game. And when I say patience, I don't only mean patience learning, but patience controlling your character, I've died countless times for being overconfident.
    If you love RPG's you should really play Dark Souls, the world is one of the best I've seen. All the areas are connected in ways so smart that is obvious how much thought was put into the map. Unlike Skyrim's world, there are no fillers between areas here, no walking for "kilometers" to get from one place to the other.
    The PvP is complex and intense. You have to actually be smart to try it.
    All in all, this is a game every RPG lover should try. Like Demons' Souls, this is a unique experience unlike any other game.
  26. Sep 3, 2012
    Awesome game, not the best port but with the small fix the game looks stunning! There is no going back to console version after the fix. The only complain is locked 30fps. Controls are as good as in console version (nobody should play with keyboard these kind of games anyway). Hopefully From Software continues support PC but I highly doubt it after these new games who rage when there is aAwesome game, not the best port but with the small fix the game looks stunning! There is no going back to console version after the fix. The only complain is locked 30fps. Controls are as good as in console version (nobody should play with keyboard these kind of games anyway). Hopefully From Software continues support PC but I highly doubt it after these new games who rage when there is a slight problems.

All in all, very solid port. No crashes or freezes, fps drops rarely (no Blightown issues anymore). Works
    better than most of the other PC games what I have played. The best PC game at the moment with SSF4 AE 2012 and RE5. Must have!
  27. Aug 29, 2012
    Phenomenal game, if only a bare-bones port. The new content lives up to, and in some cases surpasses, the bar set by the content shipped with the original, console, game. While the game comes stock with a few odd limitations, all of them that can be fixed/removed have been by industrious members of the community. Overall this is a must-buy for anyone who loves challenging, in depth,Phenomenal game, if only a bare-bones port. The new content lives up to, and in some cases surpasses, the bar set by the content shipped with the original, console, game. While the game comes stock with a few odd limitations, all of them that can be fixed/removed have been by industrious members of the community. Overall this is a must-buy for anyone who loves challenging, in depth, and rewarding game play experiences. Expand
  28. Aug 28, 2012
    A word of warning: This game is a straight port to PC and I highly recommend using a gamepad (preferably an Xbox360 pad). The internal resolution of this game is capped at 1024x720 and the frames are capped at 30 as well (Not a big deal since this is an RPG). There does happen to be a fix from a modder going by the handle Durante. Just google DSFix for Dark Souls. Anyways, onto the review.A word of warning: This game is a straight port to PC and I highly recommend using a gamepad (preferably an Xbox360 pad). The internal resolution of this game is capped at 1024x720 and the frames are capped at 30 as well (Not a big deal since this is an RPG). There does happen to be a fix from a modder going by the handle Durante. Just google DSFix for Dark Souls. Anyways, onto the review. The game is gorgeous in the sense that the art style fits this unforgiving game so well. It's dark, gloomy, and hangs towards a more gritty and realistic rendition of medieval European times. The enemies are intimidating, especially the stronger ones, and the bosses even more so. And this all ties together with the difficulty of this game. This isn't an accessible RPG. At all. You will die a lot. This game needs to be taken slow, and strategies need to be thought out. This may seem like a hack n' slash but trust me, it isn't. Strategies come down to the actual gear and stat builds of your characters and how you want to play the game. You can be a quick and nibble thief, a long range master of the bow, a sorcerer, a tanky knight that can withstand a beating, or even a melee caster focusing on fire-based DPS. It all comes down to your play style and how you'll utilize it against the merciless foes in this game. Expand
  29. Sep 3, 2012
    When a resolution fix and mouse/camera fix made by community is used, the game becomes perfect port. I must say, I have not had such a great time playing PC games for very long. It may sound strange, but after playing all the "wannabe RPG" games, I am finally playing the only and real RPG game. What a fantastic design of areas, monsters, gear, abilities, fighting and fantastic difficultyWhen a resolution fix and mouse/camera fix made by community is used, the game becomes perfect port. I must say, I have not had such a great time playing PC games for very long. It may sound strange, but after playing all the "wannabe RPG" games, I am finally playing the only and real RPG game. What a fantastic design of areas, monsters, gear, abilities, fighting and fantastic difficulty (where almost ONLY your own skill matters)...this is a truly epic experience! Expand
  30. Aug 24, 2012
    Well, i was also a little bit disapointed by the stright port. But to be fair, From Software communicated it months ago: Get a controller. Now i'm playing the game with the resolution fix and my ps3 controller and i have to say it really, really looks amazing and runs pretty stable. However, i have a nvidia card. Ati user maybe experience other circumstances.
  31. Aug 28, 2012
    I'm shocked by all the negative feedback this game as been getting. Sure, it's obviously a port, no surprise there, but it's completely playable with keyboard alone, and the keys are completely rebindable. Bottom line, this is an amazing game, and despite the relatively minor issues it has, I feel it fully deserves a 10 out of 10 based on the quality of the gameplay.
  32. Aug 25, 2012
    The game is amazing and very, very playable. The graphics/framerate "issue" is not a problem to me.

My only gripe is that you have to use a controller to play the game.
  33. Aug 26, 2012
    For some games like Ghost Recon Future Soldier or Prototype 2 I was complaining about crappy-ass port, but not for this game!People asked developers for port despite the developers have not much experience on pc programing I just want to play this game on my PC so far the experience and atmosphere is great
  34. Aug 27, 2012
    DO NOT listen to people complaining about graphics being sub par. There was a graphics 'patch' form a 3rd party 23 minutes after the game was released. Some googling can find it in less than a minute, these people who are complaining about graphics should stop writing reviews if they can't use google to find the patch. Just like the other Souls game, this one is amazing. The new content isDO NOT listen to people complaining about graphics being sub par. There was a graphics 'patch' form a 3rd party 23 minutes after the game was released. Some googling can find it in less than a minute, these people who are complaining about graphics should stop writing reviews if they can't use google to find the patch. Just like the other Souls game, this one is amazing. The new content is challenging, and the new zones are quite large and have lots of items to scavenge. Upon completion, just like the other Souls games, it leaves you wanting more. The Prepare to Die edition now also comes with 1v1, 2v2, and 4 player FFA deathmatch style arenas. It may force you to use games for windows live, which I thought was going to be a downside, but it really isn't that bad. Don't let that be a breaking point on your decision.

The resolution + frame rate fix can be found by googling "metaclassofnilblog" and downloading the files. It is fully explained how to install it in the readme, and it is literally as simple as dragging and dropping 2 files, no overwriting files either. If the other people reviewing this game can't manage that, they shouldn't be reviewing games on this site.
  35. Aug 26, 2012
    Exactly the same GREAT game as it was on consoles, with better frame rate, sharper graphics and new content. Easily one of the best games in recent years, like it was on consoles. Being somehow old school and refreshing at the same time this game gives tons of excitement if u are willing to learn it. The port it weak, but not even near as pathetic that GTAIV was. It has and console-likeExactly the same GREAT game as it was on consoles, with better frame rate, sharper graphics and new content. Easily one of the best games in recent years, like it was on consoles. Being somehow old school and refreshing at the same time this game gives tons of excitement if u are willing to learn it. The port it weak, but not even near as pathetic that GTAIV was. It has and console-like shoddy graphics and locked frame rates, but it also runs on ancient machines..so the trade of is at least fair in my opinion. Thanks to Durante the low resolution was fixed before the official launch and it's pretty good looking with the fix. It's not perfect, but still great enough for 10 compared to modern "blockbuster" games that were quite disappointing everyone (i.e. Skyrim, Diablo 3 etc.).

All-in-all:
    If u are on graphics and/or "everything should be easy" gamer (a real pansy) this is not for u, but if u like a great challenge with lots of replay value and hidden things to find. This is one of the best games u can buy. Definitely worth every coin from your wallet.. Easily in my all-time top 3.
  36. Aug 29, 2012
    One thing must be clear. This is a bare-bones, bad port, straight from the consoles. Expect mediocre graphics and looks. However - with the fantastic gametweaks made by Durantee over at NeoGaf, you can play this game while enjoying it in insane detail. The gameplay is good either way - as long as you invest into a Xbox 360-controller. Why? Because, they haven't even tried to make the gameOne thing must be clear. This is a bare-bones, bad port, straight from the consoles. Expect mediocre graphics and looks. However - with the fantastic gametweaks made by Durantee over at NeoGaf, you can play this game while enjoying it in insane detail. The gameplay is good either way - as long as you invest into a Xbox 360-controller. Why? Because, they haven't even tried to make the game friendly for the average PC-gamer. But once you get the update(s) from NeoGaf, and use the Xbox-controller - MAN, what a ride it is. A highly unforgiving experience - but for a reason. If you die, you probably only have yourself to blame. This means there is a steep and long way to go here. The controlls are easy to figure out, but hard to master. The story is magnificent, if you are into thinking by your own, interperating and so on. The enviroments are superb, they have been designed stunningly - as well is the musical part of the game. The last boss of the game has one of the most harrowing, haunting and beautiful songs I've ever heard. It fits like a glove. And that's really the thing about this game. It just.. Works. And it works very well, at that. Yes, From Software has really screwed both the community and everyone alike. Yes, the port should not be sold at 40$ with all those technical limitations. But with Durantee's update(s), it is almost forgiven. If you could pay 20$ for the game, and donate the other 20$ to Durantee, that'd be great. Sadly, it all goes to a developer that has yet to make a comment about why a random guy fixes a large part of the game in 23 minutes (and a week of framework), and why they couldn't do it in a year.

All in all - Dark Souls is a wonderful addition to any gamer's library. Trust me on this.
  37. Aug 31, 2012
    Despite a very bad transition to keyboard and mouse, this game is the same perfect game console gamers learned to cherish for the past year, and while i was one of them back then, i still get a fresh new feeling playing the Prepare to Die Edition. Apart from the fps lock, 'd say this is a perfect game of the genre.
  38. hxf
    Sep 3, 2012
    Dark souls: PtD is a tremendous game. Unfortunately the terrible port hurts it a lot. but a great modder has at least freed the resolution restrictions. now if only the mouse controls where playable at all. (use a xbox 360 controller)
  39. Aug 25, 2012
    Action RPG's are a dime a dozen these days. Most tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to what they will toss at you. The developers don't want to alienate customers by making a game that might be *gasp* too challenging. Dark Souls brings the challenge in spades but does it without feeling unfair or overly cheap. You'll get punished. then adapt, and actually feel like you haveAction RPG's are a dime a dozen these days. Most tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to what they will toss at you. The developers don't want to alienate customers by making a game that might be *gasp* too challenging. Dark Souls brings the challenge in spades but does it without feeling unfair or overly cheap. You'll get punished. then adapt, and actually feel like you have achieved something. Unlike most games which reward you for accomplishing next to nothing. It's gameplay is Dark Souls' greatest strength, in how it ties everything together (much like a fighting game) with logical solutions so that you always know you can overcome whatever challenges you are facing, no matter how difficult. I wish more developers focused on gameplay first and everything else second. --- Technically speaking the game performs very well, however, this is a straight from console "no frills" PC port. It was a game that wasn't supposed to be on the PC after all, and the way the port was handled does show signs of inexperience and hesitation on the part of the publisher/developer to give PC support. The game must be played with a controller, m+kb support is limited as was stated by the developers months ..ahem ..months ago. Also the resolution is set way too low but there is already a fix for that and I'm sure more tweaks to come (gotta love the PC modding community). People want to label the game as a "bad port" but honestly this is still the best version available as far as performance is concerned. --- Darks Souls is all about stellar gameplay and a high degree of challenge. I'm not sure this game is for eveyone and will be a pretty easy target for critics and trolls, but for me who normally likes things sleek and shiny, Dark Souls is one hell of a rough gem. Expand
  40. Aug 25, 2012
    This game is great, graphics problems already solved with 3 hotfixes and controls with keyboard/mouse are OK, it just takes little time to get used, so i dont regret for the money ive spend.
  41. Aug 25, 2012
    i dont understand people which rate this game low due to worst keyboard mouse control ever. It suck and it is fact. Bad graphics? Not the edge of technology but playable. I tell you Mount and Blade is bad graphics not this one. The main thing is that there are no glitches freezes and so on what usually people call bad port. it works fine. It is great game indeed. And be honest - you lowi dont understand people which rate this game low due to worst keyboard mouse control ever. It suck and it is fact. Bad graphics? Not the edge of technology but playable. I tell you Mount and Blade is bad graphics not this one. The main thing is that there are no glitches freezes and so on what usually people call bad port. it works fine. It is great game indeed. And be honest - you low rate this game not cause of port, you do it cause you dont like it overall :) but as always this game doesnt care Expand
  42. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is simply a masterpiece, there's nothing else to it. The gameplay is challenging and not boring you in all situations, and it will punish you, no matter how good you think you are. If you're too focused on graphics and high FPS, this game doesn't have it. The art style is amazing, however, and with a simple download of a graphics fix you can make the game look even better. IThis game is simply a masterpiece, there's nothing else to it. The gameplay is challenging and not boring you in all situations, and it will punish you, no matter how good you think you are. If you're too focused on graphics and high FPS, this game doesn't have it. The art style is amazing, however, and with a simple download of a graphics fix you can make the game look even better. I don't mind having to download something else to have a better looking game, because I'm focused on gameplay, for the most part. Another great thing about this game is the amount of detail put into it. I'm not just talking about graphically, but I'll get to that in a second. In the story! Oh wait, you didn't know there was one? Well that's another great thing about Dark Souls, if you're not going to try and look for a story or try and do your best, you're not going to like it. While I am not necessarily the super hardcore crowd of gaming, although this game will appeal to them too, I am somewhere in the middle. However, this has to be my favorite game I've ever played. There is no game that gives me so much satisfaction of killing a boss, finding new items and trying them out, upgrading weapons, and even... breaking boxes! This game has it all. The difference between Dark Souls difficulty and games harder than Dark Souls, is in Dark Souls you will only die if it's your fault. Trying to run past all the enemies and they catch up to you and kill you? Your fault. Not healing before going into the last hit to kill a boss and dying? Your fault. You can NEVER blame the game for your mistakes, unless you have some kind of strange physical condition. There is also a CRAZY amount of detail put into the graphics and art style, especially armor and weapons. I can't explain it, so I recommend you try it out for yourself. My only complaint is the keyboard and mouse controls. I'm using my PS3 controller with motionjoy, and if you do something similar or use an xbox 360 controller you won't have any trouble learning the controls. The keyboard and mouse controls, which I've dabbled in briefly, simply isn't for a game like this. I still think if you are strict about KB+M controls, to get this game, because you are missing out on a real gem if you don't. Once you're hooked, you're hooked, and you won't be able to put it down for months, possibly years, wouldn't be suprised. Thanks for reading, and don't forget to pick up one of the most challenging, rewarding, and best games of gaming history. Expand
  43. Aug 24, 2012
    Great game, not a great port but the PC community will come with mods and high res packs. its way cheaper than console, DLC comes for free, runs better and there is already a mod to fix resolution and textures day one, you can't go wrong.
  44. Aug 27, 2012
    Once you've installed the fixes made my the community members, this game is a true jewel. If possible, you might want to play with a gamepad for your own comfort, although mouse and keyboard is also a viable option. The game itself has a rich atmosphere, interesting NPCs, glorious combat which is very realistic and rewarding. This is a MUST BUY for any gamer out there.
  45. Aug 25, 2012
    I'll start with the negative:

Everyone knows that this was a bad port. The controls are terrible if you intend to use a keyboard and mouse. The camera control is pretty bad. The resolution and fps lock (resolution lock has since been fixed) are also very bad. And, worst of all- the game says "press the start button", etc. It was a very lazy port, indeed. That being said, all of that
    I'll start with the negative:

That being said, all of that did not stop me from enjoying the hell out of an absolutely amazing game. I sincerely hope that FromSoftware comes to their senses and develops for PC, as well as consoles for the next game in this series.

The controls with a gamepad are absolutely fantastic and fluid.

The art direction is great, and while some armor is way over the top, I really enjoy most of the armor design for this game as well.

There are many different weapons, and unique weapons on top of that. They put a lot of work into the animations of this game.

The online is simply brilliant, it is a blast to invade, help other players out, and vice versa. I can't say anything bad about this game other than the lack of effort put into the port.

If the port was done right I would give this game a 10/10.

With the port being the way it is, I'd give it a 8/10.

I will, however, be giving this a 10/10 anyways to combat the ridiculous 0 scores people are giving it.
  46. Aug 26, 2012
    As expected, pc boys can't handle a real game. But if you're the exception, come on and earn your stripes. The best action rpg, possibly ever with the enphasis on 'action'. RPG fans may want to stay clear too, as it's really more of a hardcore action game than your typical rpg.
  47. Aug 25, 2012
    Great game, knew it would be a bad port from the start since From can't do PC. And GFWL doesn't bother me since all you need to do is sign in. All the bad reviews are stupid entitled PC gamers.
  48. Aug 27, 2012
    This is an amazing game let down by reviewers wanting things the company never promised. Basically don't buy this game unless you have an Xbox 360 controller or will buy one to play the game. Use Durante's great fix to allow the graphics to run at 1080p and super sample and with any decent graphics card you are going to love this game. It's brutally hard, and very beautiful. The manual isThis is an amazing game let down by reviewers wanting things the company never promised. Basically don't buy this game unless you have an Xbox 360 controller or will buy one to play the game. Use Durante's great fix to allow the graphics to run at 1080p and super sample and with any decent graphics card you are going to love this game. It's brutally hard, and very beautiful. The manual is not great and you'll undoubtedly get a little frustrated at first, but great things await anyone with a modicum of intelligence and a desire to play a unique and challenging RPG. Expand
  49. Aug 28, 2012
    THE CONTROLS ARE SPOT ON. ANYONE WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT CONTROLS IS JUST A NOOB. The game is excellent. I use a Razr Onga which is extremely good. Being able to play Dark Souls anywhere I go on my laptop is something I have been waiting eagerly for ever since I heard about the release.
  50. Aug 26, 2012
    The new content is fantastic. Dark Souls was wonderful before now, and now it's mind-blowing.

Get a gamepad, yes. Get a resolution patch. Then dim the lights and prepare yourself for one of the most engrossing and rewarding experiences you will have in your life. Dark Souls.
  51. Aug 25, 2012
    Definitely worth buying if you haven't played it yet. I would recommended getting a a gamepad and using montioninjoy. I emulated one of my ps3 controllers as an xbox controller and it is working flawlessly. I also downloaded a resolution fix to enhance the graphics, still haven't encountered any problems from that. I am using an nvidia card, I heard ATI cards are having some issuesDefinitely worth buying if you haven't played it yet. I would recommended getting a a gamepad and using montioninjoy. I emulated one of my ps3 controllers as an xbox controller and it is working flawlessly. I also downloaded a resolution fix to enhance the graphics, still haven't encountered any problems from that. I am using an nvidia card, I heard ATI cards are having some issues with the game. Money well spent 10/10 for me. Expand
  52. Oct 11, 2012
    Dark Souls is a completly unique experience. Instead of repeating old tired RPG concepts, it is a totally new kind of experience. Improving on the ideas of Demons Souls, this game adds great new elements like a seamless world. This game gets a 10/10 for creating a unique experience while most games today are repeated versions of old ideas. Whether you love it or hate it, you are reallyDark Souls is a completly unique experience. Instead of repeating old tired RPG concepts, it is a totally new kind of experience. Improving on the ideas of Demons Souls, this game adds great new elements like a seamless world. This game gets a 10/10 for creating a unique experience while most games today are repeated versions of old ideas. Whether you love it or hate it, you are really missing out if you dont give it a try. The PC version is a straight port with a whole new content - enough to be considerd a full expansion. Like any expansion, 90% of the game content is just a repeat of the orginal - this is not a new game. The graphics are very good, but no different than the PS3 version. This game is simply a port for PC plus an expansion. it dosen't need to be more. Personally I have played both and had a great time repeating the adventure again, this time playing the game with a different style and greatly enjoying the additional content. Expand
  53. Mar 31, 2013
    Poor console port but the best RPG so far. This is how the RPG should be made, dark and bleak, however the controls can be pain in the ass. In some areas fight is really hard but yet enjoyable. Definitely challenging and absolute must-have for an RPG player.
  54. Sep 25, 2012
    I understand all the criticism surrounding the game and by no means should they be overlooked. Yes playing this game straight out the box without the resolution fix and a 360 controller you are setting yourself up for one major disappointment. My advice, if you don't already own a controller, is to purchase one before playing or avoid the game entirely and save yourself the frustrationI understand all the criticism surrounding the game and by no means should they be overlooked. Yes playing this game straight out the box without the resolution fix and a 360 controller you are setting yourself up for one major disappointment. My advice, if you don't already own a controller, is to purchase one before playing or avoid the game entirely and save yourself the frustration (although I still don't understand PC gamers reluctance to adopt controllers...I play certain games with a keyboard and mouse and most others with my controllers and I still get the same enjoyable gaming experience with raising my blood pressure levels screaming about silly things as using a controller on a PC). But as for Dark Souls PC - with the resolution fix and my wireless controller and Dark Souls plugged into my HDTV, the game looks phenomenal. I played Demon Soul's on PS3 and this looks infinitely better. I am having a blast with the game. Easily one of 2012 best if you can get past the stumbling blocks Expand
  55. Sep 27, 2012
    This is a great game, I've never enjoyed a game as much as this one. This is a must buy who enjoys a hardcore game. This game is so much more enjoyable with the new fix.
  56. Apr 5, 2013
    Must admit I raged hard at the game at first. I wanted to play with the Keyboard and Mouse.
    Ordered a USB controller online, And I have never been happier! The gameplay outshines all the flaws made while porting the game to PC.

Only thing I'm still angry about, Must be that the description on some items are faulty; The Tiny beings ring for example does not regenerate health, It increases it.

Even after the problems I had, I will give it a solid 10 out of 10. I really hope the next game will play as good as this.
  57. Aug 24, 2012
    For all the users that are complaining about Keyboard and Mouse not working ideally for this game, let me lay this on you for a second, because this is how you guys sound:

You have a box of nails you want to hammer into the wall. (Dark Souls) You have measuring tape. It has a flat side. (Keyboard) You don't have a hammer. (Gamepad) Instead of going out and buying a hammer to hammer in

You don't have a hammer. (Gamepad)
    Instead of going out and buying a hammer to hammer in the nails, you start hammering nails with THE MEASURING TAPE.
    You then start complaining "Holy crap these nails suck. They don't work well with the measuring tape. This is so difficult!"
    "Screw nails! Nails are terrible! I'm gonna write a review about how bad these nails are because they dont get hit into the wall well with my MEASURING TAPE."

The reasons you guys don't have hammers, is probably because you're either broke, or you're lazy, or you have some personal vendetta towards hammers. BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NAILS. It's not the nails' fault you are too lazy, broke, or have developed some deep racism towards hammers. That's on you! The nail is made for hammers! Hammer it in with a hammer and stop complaining!

So really you guys giving it a 0 for not playing perfectly with keyboard is really unfair. I can give maybe half a point for it not matching up with the keyboard controls and using xbox icons, but that's about it really. It's made to be played with a gamepad. So play it with one, and stop giving this game a low score because of your own personal issues with gamepads.

----------------------------

Dark Souls is a console port. From Software said that. They made it very clear when the game was coming out. "This is mostly a console port. No surprises!" That means the game is structured from the bottom up in a console fashion. Why would it be so different from what was promised? So that means, you run it with a console controller, it plays at a console resolution with a console speed, with hopefully better console performance. That's what was promised, and that's what From Software delivered. I personally don't see anything wrong with that. PC Fans requested a game that was console exclusive and got it on their platform. It works! It's non buggy! It looks like the console version! It's just as great as it originally was (Fantastic and amazing game!) What else is there to say? It's a great game. I love it. The graphics are amazing, the frame rate is BETTER than console. The story is incredible, the gameplay is on point and very responsive. The game isn't choppy or has hiccups, or anything like that. Game plays smooth like butter at 30 FPS. Honestly, it plays better than most PC games I've messed with lately with twice the frame rate.

Plus Durante modded it recently to increase the resolution past the initial renderer limit, so that's just the icing on the cake. This is a great game and I'm glad this game is finally on PC!
  58. Aug 25, 2012
    Hopefully devs and publishers clue into the notion that they hold the power to shape the attitudes of their consumers, with that they need to put a disclaimer with the advertising and sales of their games that they are designed for game pads - a simple "Optimized for Game Pad" do you agree before clicking to purchase would bring a stop to all these numpties who refuse to buy a game pad forHopefully devs and publishers clue into the notion that they hold the power to shape the attitudes of their consumers, with that they need to put a disclaimer with the advertising and sales of their games that they are designed for game pads - a simple "Optimized for Game Pad" do you agree before clicking to purchase would bring a stop to all these numpties who refuse to buy a game pad for what ever principled and or stubborn idea they have around remaining elite (non console).

PC gaming allows for the best of both worlds - yet there are so many small minded whingers in the community it is disgusting!! Don't you non game pad whingers see we on PC would not have half the games we have in our current library from last 5 years without console gaming feeding it.

Dark Souls is a solid port that when played with a game pad (as it was optimized for) is a better experience than the console counterparts had served to them.
  59. Sep 3, 2012
    its sad that so many ppl r giving this game a 0. yea the keyboard controls are horrible but i've managed 20 hours on em and then put another 40 with controler (yes i bought 1 just for the game) but that aside this game is simply amazing and depsite all the ppl being buthurt over the controls they shouldnt let that drag down the core of the game
  60. Aug 25, 2012
    Amazing game, if you're having difficulty with K+M just use a controller. It's either that, or you can adapt slowly just as I did. It takes a bit of dedication to the controls, but once you get it down, you've got it. The resolution can be easily fixed by using the neo-gaf fix made by a user named 'Durante'. It easily polishes the game, and you can hide your cursor with F9 to finally giveAmazing game, if you're having difficulty with K+M just use a controller. It's either that, or you can adapt slowly just as I did. It takes a bit of dedication to the controls, but once you get it down, you've got it. The resolution can be easily fixed by using the neo-gaf fix made by a user named 'Durante'. It easily polishes the game, and you can hide your cursor with F9 to finally give the camera that tight feeling. Fixes the textures, and gives your armor that shiny feel you wanted. All in all, even though it was a horrible port. There's still a community out there dedicated to it, that won't back down. Fixing the mistakes made by FS. Goes to show how passionate they are about the game. Definitely a steal at 40 dollars, and the on line community is just relentless. Really amps up the tension of reversing your hollowing and traversing hard landscapes in that state. Can't wait for future updates, whether they're made by the fans or the developers. Only time will tell, definitely a 10/10 on my end. Expand
  61. Aug 25, 2012
    Pretty solid game, its a decent port due to it running the game even better than its console counter part not to mention having a nice res. Sure you need to mod it (its literally drag and drop) but there is indeed a decent res fix for the game. The only let down would be the keyboard and mouse controls but if you are like me and own the console version already you already have a gamepadPretty solid game, its a decent port due to it running the game even better than its console counter part not to mention having a nice res. Sure you need to mod it (its literally drag and drop) but there is indeed a decent res fix for the game. The only let down would be the keyboard and mouse controls but if you are like me and own the console version already you already have a gamepad handy to play the game because you do not limit yourself to one platform and pretend to be better than everyone else. TLDR stop being a casual and pretending to actually like video games because you have a pc that idles on tf2. Expand
  62. May 19, 2013
    You can adjust to the console port and use it fine. It's pretty similar to most games...use key is q or e. It's all convenient. Graphics are fine and I didn't even notice the frame rate cap. While the story is distant to modern reality and there's no dramatic damsel in distress, the idea of going around in a vibrant wasteland appeals to me more.

The targeting system is obnoxious and

The targeting system is obnoxious and aiming bows is too difficult with a mouse, but thanks to the games flexibility, I just took different approaches so it wouldn't matter much.

This game took me over 50 hours for my first playthrough. There's lots of content I missed, the visuals and scenery is awesome. The enemies are satisfying to kill and by the end of the game, I feel like I've grown in my level of patience, approach to challenging problems, and ability to appreciate difficulty as healthy rather than hindrance.
  63. Jul 28, 2013
    Dark Souls is hard but Dark Souls is highly rewarding. It is long and it is deep, full of lore and secret and there is something to be said of this game’s atmosphere too: Dark and warm at the same time. It has also a lot of replayability. I could praise this game forever.

The fighting systems appear simple at first but when you start to dig it has a depth few games have. The character development is also outstanding. Everything has its use and it change the way you play along with the tone of weapons that have their original move sets.

It is a bless that this game came to the PC.

The resolution is locked in the vanilla version but you can mod it in 5 min and after that the experience is perfect. The 30 fps limit is not a problem with this kind of game if your computer can keep it constant.
  64. Jan 6, 2013
    Extremly solid gameplay combined with deep plot. It has the best map design I ever seen and it's a open world ARPG. The overall mood of the game is great and actually make the game very addict while anger introducing when your character died and lose all your souls. The only weakness of this game is the bad UI design and slightly lack of music. Some might complain about the graphic butExtremly solid gameplay combined with deep plot. It has the best map design I ever seen and it's a open world ARPG. The overall mood of the game is great and actually make the game very addict while anger introducing when your character died and lose all your souls. The only weakness of this game is the bad UI design and slightly lack of music. Some might complain about the graphic but there are a graphic fix free to download online. Expand
  65. Jan 8, 2013
    Easily one of the best games I have ever purchased. This game offers a wide array of exploring and battles starting with smaller enemies working up to nerve racking battles with Giant Water Hydras and Fire Breathing Drakes. However, if purchasing on PC, GET AN XBOX CONTROLLER. Almost impossible on keyboard.
  66. Feb 19, 2013
    I bought the PC port of this game (Purely because it was £20 cheaper). I can see where people are coming from when they dislike the transfer over (Instructions given in 360 format) also the game is horrific to play with a mouse and keyboard! With a controller however the game plays just as well as the console version does. This was my first jump into the 'Souls' universe and whilst theI bought the PC port of this game (Purely because it was £20 cheaper). I can see where people are coming from when they dislike the transfer over (Instructions given in 360 format) also the game is horrific to play with a mouse and keyboard! With a controller however the game plays just as well as the console version does. This was my first jump into the 'Souls' universe and whilst the 'Prepare to die' caption made me worry, I think it was for the right reason. This games difficulty is unforgiving. Period. People may hate, or like this. I am one of those who was slowly turned throughout my experiences, you might ask why? Dying over and over again to begin with was a frustrating experience but then I soon learned that this game was not meant to be rushed. You have to take the time to check for traps, blindspots, shortcuts etc and the game will reward you accordingly (Bonfire, items etc). A game being difficult does not make a game bad, people have grown up in an age of Call of duty/Mindless action games where all you need to do is run and gun. I find the brutal difficulty very refreshing and it gives me a great sense of accomplishment when I manage to kill off a tough boss or get through a hard area! To the actual game mechanics itself... At full resolution this game looks beautiful, I could not tell the difference between the PS3 and PC version, so I have no qualms about graphics! I enjoy RPG's anyway, but to those new to it, I think its a nice simple levelling system which just requires you to do a bit of reading to see what will benefit and what wont help. The flexibility of the system also allows you to create your own unique character to suit your style of play! The only issue I would take up with this game are the online features. Good the majority of the time however some things do ruin it for example the invasions of other players to your world can leave you at a great disadvantage (Especially against hackers who have the best equipment right at the start), it can leave you feeling rather done over if your new to the game, also Windows live has a wonderful tendency to not allow you to summon players or will just disconnect itself.

Apart from those online issues, I think the game is wonderful, like I mentioned due to its refreshingly difficult gameplay and it's classic RPG elements. If your not afraid of a challenge I would highly suggest giving the game a go!
  67. Oct 10, 2013
    I consider myself being one of the kind of players that just feel bored after 30 minutes of a single player and just want to log to LoL/WoW/Dota or Counter Strike. I played most new games like Bioshock, Dishnored, Batman, ecc, but the real game I really enjoyed to play is Dark Souls. Why?
    Dark Souls is not an interactive movie with crap gameplay like Bioshock Infinite. It has no unique pattern and approach with boring fights like Batman.
    In Dark Souls you really feel lost to yourself not knowing sometimes where or what to do, every direction you look from Firelink Shrine you are scared. It really took me long to finish the game, and trust me it was a very stressful accomplishment to make. I give the game 9 because the port sucks. Don't dare playing it without a joypad, better if you have a 360 one.
  68. Jun 3, 2013
    This is one of the best RPG-games in the history of video gaming. The PC port is quite rough, but it still is really not as much as a problem as some peoples say. Download the free DSfix and enjoy.
  69. Sep 9, 2013
    This game is very atmospheric and challenging. People complaining about it just have to go and buy a controller to plug into their PC. It's only ~20$.
  70. Sep 11, 2013
    Pretty much the exact same fantastic game as the console versions but FROM SOFT messed up the port with bad keyboard+mouse controls, and poor PC optimization. Nothing community mods couldn't fix though.
  71. Dec 2, 2013
    I played this relatively recently so wanted to point out to readers that they should be mindful of the date of the user review. There have been very simple patches released that make this game easily playable on the PC with mouse and keyboard. It took a solid couple of hours adjusting to the controls but from there on out there was another 100 hours without any meaningful problems (cameraI played this relatively recently so wanted to point out to readers that they should be mindful of the date of the user review. There have been very simple patches released that make this game easily playable on the PC with mouse and keyboard. It took a solid couple of hours adjusting to the controls but from there on out there was another 100 hours without any meaningful problems (camera was fine, frame rate fine, resolution fine, etc.).

That being said, as I am sure one can discern based upon the critical reception, the game is fantastic with one caveat, if you go into it expecting hand holding consistent with how most games have been made over the past decade it's something of a rude awakening. The game is difficult but not as awe inspiringly challenging as some would have you believe, rather it just has a steep learning curve. Once you figure out the fairly basic mechanics of how the game works where it punishes you and where it doesn't it's no more difficult than playing another game in it's "hard" mode. If you're like me, you'll appreciate the challenge.

A complaint of mine has been that too many games you fly through the game without ever pausing to really take in the surroundings. Not so with Dark Souls in large part because the game forces you to proceed cautiously rushing into any area generally will mean a fairly quick demise. Overall though, your experience of the game hugely benefits because of this. And in terms of getting bang for your buck, pulling 60 hours out of your first playthrough is not an entirely unreasonable expectation depending on how thorough you choose to be.

I will not go into the minutiae of the game itself other than to say it's the most fully realized and engrossing dark fantasy world available on the PC. The only other that comes close is the Witcher 2 (another game I would strongly recommend, though for different reasons). If you like action RPG's and don't mind a challenge, this is the ticket.
  72. Jan 27, 2015
    Bad PC port, but this game is still good enough to deserve a 10. It has a brilliant plot, combat system, world and artistic design. Just please do not call it an RPG, as there are no plot altering decisions here.
  73. Sep 26, 2012
    When I first got this game, I was so frustrated by the camera and the lack of easily understandable computer controls. For some reason I kept cracking at it and found the diamond underneath. The good points of the game are that it is punishing and the world usually presents you with multiple unbeatable situations. The reward of leveling up and hanging onto dear life when fighting largeWhen I first got this game, I was so frustrated by the camera and the lack of easily understandable computer controls. For some reason I kept cracking at it and found the diamond underneath. The good points of the game are that it is punishing and the world usually presents you with multiple unbeatable situations. The reward of leveling up and hanging onto dear life when fighting large bosses is a rush. The game provokes you on to the eventual victory achieved. The bad is the camera is shaky but you get used to it with the locking on feature. The controls were literally the hardest part of the game and take alot of online research to understand them. All and all a real masterpiece once you get by the orginal frustrations. And whatever you do not kill any of the talking npc's (especially weapon smiths) they DO NOT come back which can cripple your progress in the game. Expand
  74. Jan 23, 2013
    Dark Souls is a great, dark fantasy RPG. It is set in a post-apocalyptic fantasy world, where vile creatures are everywhere and nowhere is safe. The game's atmosphere is very intense, thanks to beautifully-crafted locations and dramatic music that usually plays during boss fights. The flow of the game is sort of semi-linear, meaning that more often than not there is a choice of severalDark Souls is a great, dark fantasy RPG. It is set in a post-apocalyptic fantasy world, where vile creatures are everywhere and nowhere is safe. The game's atmosphere is very intense, thanks to beautifully-crafted locations and dramatic music that usually plays during boss fights. The flow of the game is sort of semi-linear, meaning that more often than not there is a choice of several locations to do in your own order of preference and in many of those locations there are branching paths, often leading to shortcuts to the previous locations, hence saving you the time in case you wanted to go back. Now of course one of the most defining features of Dark Souls is its high difficulty. However, it is quite unlike most other challenging games out there. The way it is designed, dying is an important part of the game, and hence the words 'Prepare to Die' have to be taken seriously. The players should expect to die frequently, at which point the game simply continues and returns them back to the last bonfire (checkpoint) rested at with all enemies respawned. The trick is not about trying to avoid death altogether, but about picking yourself up and learning from your mistakes. It's a tactical game, because every enemy and every boss requires the right approach, and until you approach them with the correct mindset, they will keep beating you again and again. Admittedly sometimes it can be annoying having to walk big portions of the area to get back to the boss fight, but it is almost always well worth it. Dark Souls is not a button masher. It's not about how fast you can hit the attack button, but more about your timing, patience, concentration, and battle strategy. Its premise is quite simple really - persistence and determination pay off. Initially a lot of the areas and bosses seem impossible, but eventually any challenge can be beaten. There have been times I thought to myself Expand
  75. Apr 12, 2013
    Here it is "Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition". Well i've got to say the porting sucks. EXTREMELY. I had even some problem's with GFWL but then with some help of the forum i resolved it. I don't agree with the ones that say it sucks only because of the porting and they say you CANNOT mod the game... i did and is not so difficoult they just must be retarded what can i say D:. Talking aboutHere it is "Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition". Well i've got to say the porting sucks. EXTREMELY. I had even some problem's with GFWL but then with some help of the forum i resolved it. I don't agree with the ones that say it sucks only because of the porting and they say you CANNOT mod the game... i did and is not so difficoult they just must be retarded what can i say D:. Talking about the game is just as it is on console only with a new area the Abyss and some new bosses like Artorias. So if you liked it on Console and you want it for PC for the new content or because you never played it feel free to buy it!!! Just install Durante DSfix and the bad porting by FROM SOFTWARE will be resolved! And probably you will not encounter the problem i had with GFWL Expand
  76. Jan 5, 2013
    Beautiful, addictive, reminds a little me of Gauntlet Dark Legacy back on the Gamecube. It's honestly not that difficult, especially if you make good use of the wiki. My only complaint is that it could use a more heroic soundtrack. I think they were going for a dark horror feel, and it is there but it's not whats enjoyably about the game. Something closer to Shadow of the Colossus'Beautiful, addictive, reminds a little me of Gauntlet Dark Legacy back on the Gamecube. It's honestly not that difficult, especially if you make good use of the wiki. My only complaint is that it could use a more heroic soundtrack. I think they were going for a dark horror feel, and it is there but it's not whats enjoyably about the game. Something closer to Shadow of the Colossus' soundtrack might have been more appropriate. Expand
  77. Feb 26, 2013
    This is the single most important, and the best RPG ever made, IMO.
    you will not find a more Challeging game, i love how you have to figure everything out yourself, no guidelines, just pure use of your own mind, i love it!
    And the weapons and armors, OMFG i have never seen such cool looking weapons and armor in anygame before, daaaamn you can look so goddamn epic! (pardon my language).
    This is the single most important, and the best RPG ever made, IMO.

if you haven't tried it yet, it's a must buy, it's hard, but it's worth it!

and there is so many things to this game, that you'll have 200+H's fun!

Best RPG Ever made Period!
    JUST BUY IT! you will never regret it!

And the PC port aint that bad, if you just go to http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/ and download The Mouse fix mod, and DSfix. it will make this game look stunningly beautiful, more than on PS3 and Xbox 360
  78. Sep 27, 2013
    This game is a *must* play for any action rpg fan. There is nothing else like it. PC port does present technical issues but they are easily dealt with. Do not attempt to play this without a controller, it is not designed for kb/m interaction.

It is, however, one of the finest games of our generation.
  79. Jul 27, 2013
    I truly thought this game would blow, got on an amazing steam sale. Very creative, fun and evolving playstyle to this game, lots of fun. ONLY WATCH OUT! Buy a 360 controller for this, it is definitely needed. If you can put that aside it's quite a fantastic game.
  80. Jul 20, 2013
    Dark Souls is an awful port, it forces me to use the Games For Windows Live client, and I’m *still* recommending it to you! If it wasn’t for the genius who created the DSfix mod, then I’d have passed this up and stuck with my PS3 copy of Dark Souls. With the DSfix, the PC adaptation of Dark Souls actually performs *better* than the console versions. You also don’t have to deal with theDark Souls is an awful port, it forces me to use the Games For Windows Live client, and I’m *still* recommending it to you! If it wasn’t for the genius who created the DSfix mod, then I’d have passed this up and stuck with my PS3 copy of Dark Souls. With the DSfix, the PC adaptation of Dark Souls actually performs *better* than the console versions. You also don’t have to deal with the PSN store or the Xbox Live Marketplace and instead get the incredible DLC for free, which by the way, is one of the best DLC experiences I’ve ever had. It features some of my favorite video game bosses and adds more epic music to an already epic soundtrack. The PC version of Dark Souls will initially give you a bad first impression, but after manually tweaking the config and installing DSfix, it’s actually the best choice between the other two versions of Dark Souls.

What’s great about Dark Souls is that it features some of the most addicting gameplay and provides an incredibly fun challenge that’s punishing and difficult, but not unfair. In other words, you die from your own mistakes and not from a cheap glitch introduced by the game (with the exception of those stupid silver knight archers in Anor Londo). Another awesome aspect of the game is how there’s no safe haven from the hideous and twisted creatures of Dark Souls. You can take a quick breather at the bonfires you’ll stumble upon throughout your journey and meditate, but then you’re back alone in the dangerous world full of enemies looking to poison, assassinate and eat you. From Software also carries over the fantastic New Game feature to Dark Souls. This offers unlimited replay value and allows you to build an unstoppable juggernaut. Dark Souls has some incredibly memorable moments and features some of the best boss fights a video game has ever offered. Despite the annoying GFWL DRM and technical issues, all of these aggravations are fixable and ultimately doesn’t take anything away from Dark Souls’ phenomenal gaming experience.
  81. Oct 25, 2013
    This took me a long time to get the hang of. In fact, I left the game for about 3-4 months because I ended up playing something else. I came back to it and started getting better with the combat and learned with ample use of an online guide, how to complete sections of the game.

It is frustrating, yet it's also meant to be that way. The thing is though, you will beat a particular section, or boss. What I like the most is the absolute isolation you feel playing the game. The environmental effects or firelink shrine music really set the stage.

There's a lot to this game, so be sure to make the most out of all the guides available on the internet. There's so much variety when it comes to weapons and armor, it really is an RPG lover's wetdream.
    Yes, the PC controls such without a well known mod.

Yet, I ended up using an Xbox 360 controller (actually went out and bought one for this game) and it works great.
  82. May 28, 2013
    One of the best RPG's and outright best games I have ever played. A hard working modding community has really made this an extremely worthwhile port for the PC. I see a lot of complaints about the clumsy controls or the sloppy porting problems but these issues did not mar the remarkable quality of this game.
  83. Nov 21, 2012
    Since I own both the PC and the PS3 versions of Dark Souls, I can say right off that the PC game is a bad port. The good news is that the game is easily modded to the point that the PC version is light years ahead of the console version. Its far clearer, richer and better to play on. There is even a mouse mod that allows you to control the mouse aspects to your specifications. In otherSince I own both the PC and the PS3 versions of Dark Souls, I can say right off that the PC game is a bad port. The good news is that the game is easily modded to the point that the PC version is light years ahead of the console version. Its far clearer, richer and better to play on. There is even a mouse mod that allows you to control the mouse aspects to your specifications. In other words, the mouse and keyboard system is perfect with the mod. Do a search for Dark Souls Nexus to find it.

The other issue is of its difficulty. Its brutal. Enough said. Its meant to be difficult. Way difficult. But there is no game I know of that gives me more rage and elation than this game. When you die, you loose everything... everything is a gamble, every move has its risks, and the risk is high... This is RPG in its purest form. It requires you to plan, observe battle movements of enemies, choose areas that pose the least amount of risk and collect souls to level up. Retreat means survival and strengthening. Die, and you loose everything you worked for. Its rage inducing, but in the end, I died because I was at fault, not the game. When the risks are high, the exhilaration while being in a battle is beyond any game I have ever played. This game is not for the light hearted. Everywhere you go, there is a sense of dread. You know you can die so easily, but in order to survive, you must play smart. If you love a challenge, then this game is for you. I'm glad I bought the PC version of DS. With the mods, this game is now fixed for the PC and it looks fantastic! I have over 600 games on Steam and this is by far the best game I own. Just remember, when the game beats you down to a pulp, its all your fault. Not the game's. Learn from your mistakes and plan your attacks. This game deserves to be hailed as the best Action based RPG ever made.
  84. Dec 12, 2012
    IFirst of all, i'm aware this is a console port. But it's this gamer's honest opinion that therein lie its beauty. When i played with a gamepad, i sucked. More so than i thought possible. I broke a gamepad trying to get cope with the game's controls. I'm not proud of that. I deleted the game shortly after and forgot all about it. Then, i went through a handful of similar games only to beIFirst of all, i'm aware this is a console port. But it's this gamer's honest opinion that therein lie its beauty. When i played with a gamepad, i sucked. More so than i thought possible. I broke a gamepad trying to get cope with the game's controls. I'm not proud of that. I deleted the game shortly after and forgot all about it. Then, i went through a handful of similar games only to be disappointed by all of them. Something was missing. There still was my yearning for a challenging game. After that, i gave DS another shot. This time, i took upon myself to get accustomed to the keyboard mappings, because i had no gamepad. I think the controls are very accessible and PC friendly. They're not "Default" pc controls, but once you figure out which button does what, you'll find the game more relaxed and easy flowing. Hell, you can even map keys the way you like them. It took some time, roughly 8 hours of non-stop gameplay to see that the game CAN be a chore, but it's also rewarding. That tiny moment of success is worth hundreds, even thousands of "deaths". I'd also like to mention that i feel the game is really FAIR to a player that abides by it's rules. You don't lose items when you die and the souls you lose, you can reclaim if you're smart and determined enough. I just can't believe that i hated it because it make me use my brain! What the hell?! How dare it!? I never needed to think or analyze or even strategize to get through any other games. It was at that moment that i realized that games have been spoonfeeding me for years. That's why YOU will love this game as well. It has a feeling of those old arcade games like GnG. It has a SOUL, if you will. At times, it can be tiresome, it can also be demanding and unforgiving, but in the end, it's well worth the effort you put into it. Expand
  85. Dec 28, 2012
    This is definitely a game for the patient. It is hard, but fair and requires that you LEARN from your mistakes, instead of running in and hoping for the best. The entire area is a potential advantage or disadvantage depending on how you use it, so it requires that you think about what you're going to do before you try to fight. It isn't for everyone, if you like hack and slash, run for theThis is definitely a game for the patient. It is hard, but fair and requires that you LEARN from your mistakes, instead of running in and hoping for the best. The entire area is a potential advantage or disadvantage depending on how you use it, so it requires that you think about what you're going to do before you try to fight. It isn't for everyone, if you like hack and slash, run for the hills, if you want a challenge, dish out the cash and buy Dark Souls. Personally, I like it, it has a good plot if you look for it and the challenge is unrivaled in modern games. I give it a 10 for the pve and pvp challenge.

It is hard. It is challenging. It is fair. No boss is impossible, all bosses have weaknesses or strategies that work to take them down. All you need is a little patience.
  86. Nov 1, 2012
    A truly unique gaming experience that will take you through all the motions. At times you will be extremely frustrated, at others, you will be extremely satisfied. This game requires you to switch things up, you can't go in guns blazing. It is very unforgiving, which makes progressing through it extremely satisfying. You will be taught to learn from your mistakes, and taught to take yourA truly unique gaming experience that will take you through all the motions. At times you will be extremely frustrated, at others, you will be extremely satisfied. This game requires you to switch things up, you can't go in guns blazing. It is very unforgiving, which makes progressing through it extremely satisfying. You will be taught to learn from your mistakes, and taught to take your time. 10x better than garbage being shoveled out by EA and Ubisoft. Definitely must buy this game. Expand
  87. Feb 26, 2013
    OK...I just got this game for the PC after months of indecision and reading mixed reviews. Ultimately, a bad case of boredom and Skyrim OD convinced me to pick it up. Well, wouldn't you know...this has become my current fave action/ rpg. The first thing I did (even before beginning the game) was to head on over to the Dark Souls Nexus and download the DSFix as well as a few other goodiesOK...I just got this game for the PC after months of indecision and reading mixed reviews. Ultimately, a bad case of boredom and Skyrim OD convinced me to pick it up. Well, wouldn't you know...this has become my current fave action/ rpg. The first thing I did (even before beginning the game) was to head on over to the Dark Souls Nexus and download the DSFix as well as a few other goodies like texture improvements, and some weapon re-skins. Holy crap, it looks and plays awesome! Not one crash (unlike Skyrim every few minutes) after hours of play; runs smoothly at 60fps and the graphic mods make it shine. I am amazed at those whiners who complain about it being a poor PC port; as a PC gamer you never heard of mods? That is why I play PC games more than my PS3...the ability to mod. Seriously, it only took a few minutes to download and install the fixes, and was it ever worth it. This game will kick your sorry butt, even from the beginning. There are often hints and tips from other players lying around the areas, but even if you know the exact method to beat a particular boss, YOU still have to DO IT. Make no mistake, this is a game that requires skill, timing and patience. If you lack any of these qualities, stay away. It can be brutally hard in spots, but never unfair; and when you finally do beat that annoying Black Knight and get his kickass sword it is a reason for celebration. At times, playing as a human I got pwned by another player invading my world. It might be advisable to stay Hollow until you've upgraded yourself, otherwise you might be making a long trek back to the site of your ignominious demise. Finally, a great looking intense action oriented game with a real challenge and lots of customization options. Playing Skyrim after this would be like going back to kindergarten. Praise the Sun! Expand
  88. Nov 18, 2012
    Great game, bad port. Issues can be mostly fixed with a community patch, and if you're willing to play with an Xbox or PS3 controller. Get it on sale if you're skeptical.
  89. Dec 19, 2012
    Best game I have played in years. Playing since release and still going strong. The overall immersion is very satisfying. The difficulty brings me back to the gaming challenges of my youth. I would recommend this game to anyone at any age. I originally pre ordered on PS3, I eventually purchased a the PC version on sale over at Steam. Look for it, buy it.
  90. May 21, 2013
    People are amazed by this game because it gives you the experience a role playing game should actually give you... something 95% of the PC RPGs are truly lacking. Whoever created this game should truly be commended. It is surprising that this game was first offered on the XBOX, being that it appears to be aimed towards an extremely mature audience. In anycase... there it is... thePeople are amazed by this game because it gives you the experience a role playing game should actually give you... something 95% of the PC RPGs are truly lacking. Whoever created this game should truly be commended. It is surprising that this game was first offered on the XBOX, being that it appears to be aimed towards an extremely mature audience. In anycase... there it is... the first actual RPG to be offered for the PC. If you wish to get a taste of what Dungeons and Dragons was truly about, try this game. And have some patience with it, the controls take some getting used to (360 gamepad highly recommended) Expand
  91. Jan 27, 2013
    An incredible game that truly challenges the player. I never quite had any problem with graphical issues or FPS but maybe that's because of my custom built computer. The atmosphere was incredible and the entire feel to the game was very dark and depressing. The online part is horrendous to deal with an invader always striking fear in my heart. I love the idea of it of course, it just addsAn incredible game that truly challenges the player. I never quite had any problem with graphical issues or FPS but maybe that's because of my custom built computer. The atmosphere was incredible and the entire feel to the game was very dark and depressing. The online part is horrendous to deal with an invader always striking fear in my heart. I love the idea of it of course, it just adds to the dark and depressing atmosphere. Expand
  92. Aug 2, 2013
    Have to give this a 10 (the PC port doesn't deserve it) just for the bunch of 0 rating dumb morons and kids with a low enough IQ to not be able to play/figure out this game.

A lot of people even complain about the game not having a story.... Dark Souls does not have a story... freaking HILARIOUS! It's the ultimate proof the definition of "PC gamers" is now DEAD. (srry guys we are a

A lot of people even complain about the game not having a story....
    Dark Souls does not have a story... freaking HILARIOUS!

It's the ultimate proof the definition of "PC gamers" is now DEAD. (srry guys we are a minority and nearly extincted now) It's just a bunch of stupid sheep most of the time who need to be told where to go and what to do every freaking step of any game.

PC games are rarely skill based nowadays compared to what they were even just 10 years ago.
    Are humans getting dumber?
  93. Nov 4, 2012
    Now before you read this, I must say that this game is a HORRENDOUS port. Of course, every single problem can be fixed, every single one, except it won't show the keyboard and mouse controls. The only game that is a worse port is RE4.

If you want to play this game, downloading the fan made patch is required, but its like 5kb, if your too lazy to DL it, then you won't like the pace of Dark Souls anyhow. And NO, the keyboard and mouse controls are entirely playable if you rebind the menu button to esc (which you can do ingame) and activate the mouse fix that fixs the inverted mouse acceleration. There, game is fixed for PC, if you don't like the textures, theres a fix for that too. Now onto the game review. This game is magnificant. The game has amazingly good level design. Weapons are amazingly balanced and the only thing that is useless is ranged, (cept magic) but if ranged was powerful, it would likely make the game worse anyway (no way it could be fun in dark souls).

The game is very rarely cheap, the only part of the game I would call cheap would be the two **** knight archers in Anor Londo. The game is extremely skill based BUT it also requires you to pay attention. Every single trap is predictable before hand (except the one in the tutorial level, that does very low damage and is designed to show you this game has enviromental traps). Even the infamous dragon on the bridge. The bridge is charred, there was a dragon earlier, and there is burned corpes all over the bridge, IT DOES WARN YOU.

The game does not have great graphics, but its art style is amazing, every level looks different and unique. And is designed in very different ways. Blighttown is a small town built on the side of a giant underground cave, with a poisoness bog at the bottom. Anor Londo is a bright but empty (as in lonely, it has packed areas as well) city. Sens Fortress is a Indiana Jones style fort of deadly traps. The games framerate is bareable, if you can handle 30fps. Using my crappy gtx 240, I get only a few frame drops, with constant drops in Blighttown (which it is infamous for) and the rickety bridge into New Londo Ruins (which is covered in smoke effects, which explains the lag, theres no enemies here anyway, so it aint game breaking). The difficulty is perfect, relying on skill and tactics more then brute force. Yes, memory helps, but you can figure out what enemies attacks are before they even do it by what their tell (all enemies have tells) is on the attack, which often reveals it. The game also isn't unfairly hard at points, always challenging, but never dickish. Music is amazing, however often not playing. Only the main bonfire at firelink shrine and boss fights have music, but every boss fight has a unique song you will never here anyway else, and the final bosses song is so fantastic. It contrasts all other boss fight's music and is fantasticly well done. Voice acting is great, surprisingly since there is multiple grammar mistakes, but never in dialogue and never at an unreadable level. All characters are unique and have a purpose, and all seem slightly insane. (always with the laughing)

PVP is a disappointment, not because of the system it uses, but because I'm Australian, its very hard to enter a session. After 25 hours of being human total, I got invaded once, and that was a hotspot I was in for many hours. Controls are precise, although the delay for sprinting is annoying. PC controls are entirely playable if you spend 5 minutes fine tuning it and downloading the mouse patch. 360 controls are reccomended however, even if the controls are entirely playable with KB&M (If you want proof they are playable, look at Rainicorn's old twitch series, where she beat the entire game and half at SL1 (which is VERY hard and requires lots of precision) all using mouse and keyboard with auto lock on broken (yeah, don't use it without gamepad).

People say there is no story. DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM. The game has a massive amount of lore, but its hidden, 99% of it is in item descriptions. But it is very very confusing and difficult to piece together. I wouldn't reccomend trying to figure out everything.

All round the best action RPG I have ever played, blowing skyrim out of the water. And one of the best games I have ever played as well.
  94. Mar 31, 2015
    Despite the broken port it's a MASTERPIECE. A game you'll be thinking about while working, learning, praying, eating, banging. Of course if you like difficult and rewarding games plus you have a gamepad.
  95. Oct 28, 2012
    at all the guys who give this game a "ZERO" cause of controlls. read a review and if u guys have an xbox 360 or ps3 than why u dont buy it for them? or use ur xbox controller or ps3 controller for ur pc? This Game never deserves a ZERO.
  96. Jan 10, 2013
    After playing more casual games this is total a breath of fresh air when compared to lesser rpg's (Skyrim comes to mind), Dark souls really rewards you for skill and intelligence and severely punishes you for stupidity. The combat is great and with a controller at least, the controls are good, while difficulty of the enemies only serves to add to the sense of satisfaction when you defeatAfter playing more casual games this is total a breath of fresh air when compared to lesser rpg's (Skyrim comes to mind), Dark souls really rewards you for skill and intelligence and severely punishes you for stupidity. The combat is great and with a controller at least, the controls are good, while difficulty of the enemies only serves to add to the sense of satisfaction when you defeat them. Overall a great game albeit with some PC porting issues but that's nothing mods can't fix. Expand
  97. Jul 12, 2013
    This is an EXCELLENT game after applying the DSFix mod. Why do I like it SO much? It's a hard game. You just can not start running and hacking and get anywhere at all. This game is just the perfect amount of hard to frustrate me, make me stop and think of how to beat this new boss or area. I may ponder that problem for a few hours to a few days, then try again. I LOVE that about this game.
  98. Oct 9, 2012
    I'm playing with keyboard and mouse and original pc frame-rate and resolution. And this is one of the best games I have played for a long time!
    very engaging, graphics looks good ,just change the pc controls to what you like.

I'm glad they did this port, never had any consoles.
    The game is great!
  99. Oct 15, 2012
    Although still get some issue like graphic (I set 1920*1080 but the game don't look better,poor controller and bad port version..but.........Great game!I spend over 100 hour to it.(my poor eng :))
  100. Oct 30, 2012
    I won't tell how long I waited for this kind of game (I don't have Xbox/PS). Just want to say about "horrible" port: it works like a barrier that cut off whining players form the game.

The irony is that the PC version could have been much better than the PS3/360 ones, with higher resolutions to make the textures look better, a cornucopia of mods and/or an active (in theory at least) community. But FROM ruined it all (with the assistance of Games for Windows Live). It’s a shame really, if we at least had just a decent port (or a better infrastructure for a less appalling multiplayer mode), Dark Souls could have been one of the best RPG for the PC. [November 2012]
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    Not often do you see a game that is equally rewarding as it is frustrating; and it's not because the game is unfair.
    Dark Souls returns the hardcore elements back to action RPGs – heavy focus on uncompromising fight mechanics and absolute freedom in hero profiling. The price of this game is not for everyone. [Oct 2012]