7.3

1. Sep 6, 2012
    This is the best game I have played in 3 years. I have to assume that most of the negative reviewers are angry because they find the game too difficult, yet need a less embarrassing excuse to write flame commentary. Everyone needs a soapbox, and this game has provided that for people on both sides of the fence. I've heard a great argument, that wanting to play Dark Souls with anything but a game pad is like playing competitive racing games online with a keyboard. Ignore the whiners who serve only to dilute our demographic with more noob-friendly on-rails trite; without a doubt, this game will grab anyone who values gameplay, ambience, and immersion. For a port, this game runs smoothly and crash-free, the art is exquisite, the environment more immersive than ANY game in recent memory, and the gameplay is fair, challenging, and always fresh. With the resolution fix (dsfix) and a gamepad, this game is a solid 11/10 (yes, ELEVEN). Expand
  2. Aug 30, 2012
    Criticising this game because it's a bare-bones port is absurd. The game is incredible on every level, and a lack of graphics options doesn't change that. And- this being the PC we're talking about- there's already a mod available to fix that.

You will fall in love with this game.
  3. Sep 13, 2012
    Dark Souls is an amazing experience no true gamer should deny themselves. The game needs to be played with a controller. Period. End. The graphics are outstanding EVEN at the default resolution, but fixes are in place to bump it up even more. Now, the actual game itself. It is one of the most deeply challenging and rewarding game you will ever play. The enemies and environment are devious and deadly at every turn. But, as you progress, you will notice that your skills are increasing because the game demands your attention and demands you master a certain level of skill with the game. You can not hack and slash your way through this game. You will die. You will die even when you are playing the game the way it was meant to be played - with care and attention. Dying is part of the experience and not a failure. It is part of your learning process. The art design is simply outstanding. And the story/lore is also fantastic, but it not spoon fed to you. It requires a certain investment from the player in paying attention to dialogue, the environment, and item descriptions. I could go on for days about how amazing this game is. Better to tell you I have played through the game twice on the PS3, gotten all the trophies, and still I have bought the PC version and am playing through it all again. This is one of those games you can play for years and years. There are so many different ways to play it and the controls are so tight and rewarding, it is just hard to stay away too long. Do yourself a favor and buy this game. It is the best $40 you will ever spend. I hope to see you all in the game for some Jolly Co-operation! Expand
  4. Aug 29, 2012
    One thing must be clear. This is a bare-bones, bad port, straight from the consoles. Expect mediocre graphics and looks. However - with the fantastic gametweaks made by Durantee over at NeoGaf, you can play this game while enjoying it in insane detail. The gameplay is good either way - as long as you invest into a Xbox 360-controller. Why? Because, they haven't even tried to make the game friendly for the average PC-gamer. But once you get the update(s) from NeoGaf, and use the Xbox-controller - MAN, what a ride it is. A highly unforgiving experience - but for a reason. If you die, you probably only have yourself to blame. This means there is a steep and long way to go here. The controlls are easy to figure out, but hard to master. The story is magnificent, if you are into thinking by your own, interperating and so on. The enviroments are superb, they have been designed stunningly - as well is the musical part of the game. The last boss of the game has one of the most harrowing, haunting and beautiful songs I've ever heard. It fits like a glove. And that's really the thing about this game. It just.. Works. And it works very well, at that. Yes, From Software has really screwed both the community and everyone alike. Yes, the port should not be sold at 40$ with all those technical limitations. But with Durantee's update(s), it is almost forgiven. If you could pay 20$ for the game, and donate the other 20$ to Durantee, that'd be great. Sadly, it all goes to a developer that has yet to make a comment about why a random guy fixes a large part of the game in 23 minutes (and a week of framework), and why they couldn't do it in a year.

All in all - Dark Souls is a wonderful addition to any gamer's library. Trust me on this.
  5. Aug 31, 2012
    This is a bad port but the game is amazing, immersive and challenger, a great experience that must be prove, plug you xbox 360 controller and play this game.
  6. Aug 31, 2012
    Despite a very bad transition to keyboard and mouse, this game is the same perfect game console gamers learned to cherish for the past year, and while i was one of them back then, i still get a fresh new feeling playing the Prepare to Die Edition. Apart from the fps lock, 'd say this is a perfect game of the genre.
  7. Sep 3, 2012
    Let me just say this, this is the best version of Dark Souls out right now, if you get a gamepad and get the fix someone made. This is Fromsoft's first PC game, Of course they were going to mess up. But the new content was more than enough to make up for it. the only reason I didn't give it 10/10 is because of some of the glitches. And Sen's fortress. That place is difficult.
  8. hxf
    Sep 3, 2012
    Dark souls: PtD is a tremendous game. Unfortunately the terrible port hurts it a lot. but a great modder has at least freed the resolution restrictions. now if only the mouse controls where playable at all. (use a xbox 360 controller)
  9. Sep 18, 2012
    This is perhaps the best videogame of its generation, now available on the PC. The port is very bare-bones, but it is not "sloppy" or "horribly executed." It is exactly what you see on the Xbox 360. Fortunately, for those who want a little more from their games on PC, there has been a fan-made fix improving resolution and other graphics settings since day one. The strangely entitled, whiny, obsessive, and just plain ignorant will continue to slag this port, but the reality is that it's perfectly fine. Beautiful, even. Now, said obsessive PC gamer weirdos will still complain about having to use a controller (which is optional, though it may as well be a requirement). That's on them. This is Dark Souls, not your average PC gamer's game. Expand
  10. Sep 13, 2012
    Worst port ever made. But an amazing game nonetheless. I bought it on steam and wasn't sure what to expect having never played a "souls" game. Gotta say I love almost everything about it the music, atmosphere, gameplay and how the story unfolds via items, landscapes etc. I really wish I could rate it higher but not being able to use my mouse because it was far to jumpy, if you have a controller buy this fantastic game. Expand
  11. Sep 9, 2012
    The game itself is marvelous, deep background story and some gameplay mechanics based on the player's skills. The only condition to fully enjoy it is to own a controller. I can't really blame the developpers tho since K+M isn't a good setting for that kind of games, and the Dark Souls hasn't initialy been built with the possibilty of a PC port.
    Hopefully we'll see the Armored Core series
    coming to PC. Expand
  12. Sep 23, 2012
    My personal GOTY. Nice difficulty curve about timing/positioning instead of traditionnal more hp difficulty.
    Multiplayer is really magic with thoses stranges messages everywhere and thoses player's ghosts who plays same game than us.
    PC port is bad but thanks to PC community, Durante made a fix for it. Best 2012 Game
  13. Sep 10, 2012
    Excellent game, highly addictive, favourite game only second to the witcher 2 enhanced edition. A must buy, looks great with the resolution fix. Only issue you must own a controller.
  14. Sep 11, 2012
    The game itself is worthy of a 9 or 10 score, but the port is one of the worst I've seen.
    I personally consider this game to be unplayable without a controller.
    I tried the keyboard + mouse controls for a minute or two, until I started puking uncontrollably and passed out.
    When I regained consciousness, I plugged in a wired xbox 360 controller and all was good.
    The graphics options
    were a disappointment to say the least, but I wasn't going to let that bother me too much.
    When I jumped into the game, it felt exactly like the console version, which I consider to be mostly a good thing.
    The resolution was the same as on consoles, and I was hoping that something could be done to improve that.
    I was relieved to find out that a fanmade fix was available on day one, and the fix was updated and mastered in a week or so.
    The FPS is capped at 30, which is a disappointment for PC players who are used to having no cap at all.
    Apparently they had a good reason for capping it at 30, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

Now onto the game itself.
    It's unforgiving, it's ruthless, it's brutal, it's the opposite of every other AAA title that is being released these days (in the difficulty aspect), and that is what makes it stand out.
    Dark Souls is not going to hold your hand, nor is it going to pat you on your head.
    Once you're out of the Undead Asylum that works as an introduction to the game, you're on your own.
    The world is pretty much seamless, with no loading screens in between areas, which makes it easier to get immersed in it.
    The seamless nature of the world makes it feel like you're visiting a living and breathing universe.
    The enemies are tough and the bosses are tougher.
    It's the difficulty of these encounters that makes the game so satisfying.
    When you eventually best a boss, it just feels great.
    There's nothing artificial about difficulty. Difficulty is difficulty, no matter how badly you would like to justify your lack of skills, you filthy plebeian.

If you enjoy a challenge, fun online features AND you have a PC compatible controller, or are willing to invest in one; it's well worth buying.

TL;DR

-With mouse & keyboard = 4/10

-With a controller = 9/10
  15. Sep 12, 2012
    AMAZING game with a port that is amazingly bad but it is easily fixed. Use the dsfix mod (google it) which fixes most of the graphical issues. Yes you need a joystick.

Yes the game is hard. I'm a little sick of games that hold your hand though. I want a challenge for a change. Best game I've played in a long time.
  16. Sep 18, 2012
    okay, so I played this game every day for almost a year on PS3, now it's on PC, and the straight port is the same amazing game, only now with more content. How can anyone complain about this? My only minor gripe is that there are a lot fewer players on PC to co-op and PvP with.... and this game was designed to be played with a controller. So play it with a controller. You don't play car racing games with m+k, and neither should you play this game with m+k. Expand
  17. Sep 20, 2012
    I played this game on the PS3 for a year and decided to purchase on the PC. The PC version is much better than XBOX360 and PS3. I ported my PS3 controller over and installed DSFix. The graphics are much better and gameplay is much smoother and faster.
  18. Sep 21, 2012
    First of all, be warned, this Game will rip your Butt inside out... Simply put, you will cry from Rage. Beyond this Fact lays a Diamond, good looking and polished. The Gameplay is unique and it always puts you in new difficult Situations and it forces you to Multitask and keep developing new Strategies for each Boss or Enemy you Face! If you are a delicate Person when it comes to Games and love Action-Adventure RPG´s, this is for you... Expand
  19. Dec 13, 2012
    This is quite possibly the hardest game I have beaten. Not because of any particular area or boss, but because the devs throw every kind of BS imaginable at you throughout a long campaign (~60 hours for my first playthrough). Although it has a fantastic start, things start to peter off about halfway through at the end of Anor Londo. Smough & Ornstein is probably the best boss fight in the game and it feels like the devs ran out of ideas afterwards (a boss you have to die to in order to progress, invisible walkways, a boss who smacks you from off-screen into pits, starting a boss fight with half HP with the nearest bonfire 15 minutes away, etc.). If you decide to pick up the PC version, you WILL need a controller, DSfix, and outside help, either from a friend, guides, wikis, youtube videos, etc. If you are able to stop yourself from breaking your controller while playing, this is an excellent Action-RPG that will keep you busy for a long time. Expand
  20. Jan 8, 2013
    6.8 User Score? Wow, guys wow. Even with the horrible port, these guys weren't sure that the PC would make them a profit. Now that we've bought the game, when DS2 comes out it'll be better. Come on. This game is awesome, and it's meta critic user score shouldn't be affected by one stupid port.
  21. Mar 28, 2013
    Dark souls: a game released in 2012 and still going strong with its iron fist

This game will take your dignity and push you down in the dirt much like your ex girlfriend but you’ll always come crawling back to it later to see if she’s getting any nicer...Any way back to the game....

With today’s fast paced gaming experiences with all its insta health regen systems and chest high
    walls, I feel that every self proclaimed gamer should take this game as an initiation to be allowed onto the online world of gaming so we wouldn’t end up with the screaming spoilt youth of today who need a good smack in the face...And so here we have Dark souls- Dark souls is a grand example of how games should be nowadays, this game really isn’t afraid to take out its iron fist and ram you senselessly for being reckless, unprepared or just generally stupid. You’ll always have to adjust your load out to effectively suit your environment and enemies alike, which is what you really want but still you may want to lube up that cavity of yours... Overall the scenery looks pretty; the controls work for the most part although the camera can be finicky at times so you may want to swap out your Texet for an analogue controller; It has plenty of areas to explore and with me being 98 hours in and still needing to kill 2 more bosses it is well worth the £15.00 I paid for it; although you will cuss shout and scream you will not be able to keep your hands off of it for it doesn’t ease up with its tight iron fist... 9/10 would bang Christopher Gillard
    P.s it can only run at a maximum of 30FPS which takes getting use to...
  22. Mar 31, 2013
    This game is an amazing game. Really, it is. It puts you into a world of endless impending doom, which is great for getting into the game. The game gives a tough challenge, and even though the game gets slightly bad in design near the end of the game, it still gives you a great atmosphere and a great experience, with heaps of re-playability.

Don't be scared of the difficulty, and don't
    be scared of the PC port. You can easily either download a mod or just play it, it will only hinder the experience slightly. The game also has great graphics, with good textures and some very good models, with detail in every inch of the environment.

Even though the console port is sloppy, it really doesn't hinder the experience much. Play this game, and love it.
  23. Dec 29, 2012
    Don't believe the low scores for this game, it may have been a bad port but an amazing gem lies beneath. Play with DSFIX MOD to see this games true potential, and it works great with multiplayer so don't worry about that.

PLAY THIS GAME WITH DSFIX MOD, you wont regret it.
  24. Mar 31, 2013
    Poor console port but the best RPG so far. This is how the RPG should be made, dark and bleak, however the controls can be pain in the ass. In some areas fight is really hard but yet enjoyable. Definitely challenging and absolute must-have for an RPG player.
  25. Jan 23, 2013
    Dark Souls is a great, dark fantasy RPG. It is set in a post-apocalyptic fantasy world, where vile creatures are everywhere and nowhere is safe. The game's atmosphere is very intense, thanks to beautifully-crafted locations and dramatic music that usually plays during boss fights. The flow of the game is sort of semi-linear, meaning that more often than not there is a choice of several locations to do in your own order of preference and in many of those locations there are branching paths, often leading to shortcuts to the previous locations, hence saving you the time in case you wanted to go back. Now of course one of the most defining features of Dark Souls is its high difficulty. However, it is quite unlike most other challenging games out there. The way it is designed, dying is an important part of the game, and hence the words 'Prepare to Die' have to be taken seriously. The players should expect to die frequently, at which point the game simply continues and returns them back to the last bonfire (checkpoint) rested at with all enemies respawned. The trick is not about trying to avoid death altogether, but about picking yourself up and learning from your mistakes. It's a tactical game, because every enemy and every boss requires the right approach, and until you approach them with the correct mindset, they will keep beating you again and again. Admittedly sometimes it can be annoying having to walk big portions of the area to get back to the boss fight, but it is almost always well worth it. Dark Souls is not a button masher. It's not about how fast you can hit the attack button, but more about your timing, patience, concentration, and battle strategy. Its premise is quite simple really - persistence and determination pay off. Initially a lot of the areas and bosses seem impossible, but eventually any challenge can be beaten. There have been times I thought to myself Expand
  26. Sep 25, 2012
    I understand all the criticism surrounding the game and by no means should they be overlooked. Yes playing this game straight out the box without the resolution fix and a 360 controller you are setting yourself up for one major disappointment. My advice, if you don't already own a controller, is to purchase one before playing or avoid the game entirely and save yourself the frustration (although I still don't understand PC gamers reluctance to adopt controllers...I play certain games with a keyboard and mouse and most others with my controllers and I still get the same enjoyable gaming experience with raising my blood pressure levels screaming about silly things as using a controller on a PC). But as for Dark Souls PC - with the resolution fix and my wireless controller and Dark Souls plugged into my HDTV, the game looks phenomenal. I played Demon Soul's on PS3 and this looks infinitely better. I am having a blast with the game. Easily one of 2012 best if you can get past the stumbling blocks Expand
  27. Jan 9, 2013
    This is one of the best Action-RPGs ever released on PC and one of the worst ports ever released on PC. But I give score for quality of game itself, and that's why Dark Souls gets 10. It is just brilliant.
  28. Apr 10, 2013
    There are issues to this port. Google: steam dark souls tweak. It will lead you to a guide which fixes many of hte problems. my graphics improved greatly, and fps improved greatly.

Been gaming since chrono trigger on the Snes. In terms of best single player game, this ties with chrono trigger. In terms of best gameplay in a single player game, this is it. The game is hard, and
    you learn by dying. And it's awesome. You have to pay attention to every fight, or you can die to the smallest creature. The combat is challenging. For the first time, I feel like I'm actually exploring. There is no map, so you have to pay attention to your surroundings.

This is the first single player game I've send more then twenty hours playing in years. Others may be pretty, but theyare boring.
  29. Dec 30, 2012
    With DSfix and controller it is absolutely amazing game. AI could be smarter, but game is still challenging.
  30. Sep 30, 2012
    In my opinion the game is just excellent! 10 out of 10! But there are flaws ... PC Controls!

Why? Here's the answer:
    1. This is an RPG with a purely Japanese approach to game development, that is, "It's not like everyone else!" You start playing and you realize that you do not understand anything! Game haven't any training, you learn all game aspects yourself! For me this is a huge
    plus, because i tired of the games, in which devs lead you by the hand, press x to win, etc. This is too simple...
    2. Beautiful design of locations, great gameplay (and even hardcore, which makes "you perspiring"), awesome and wonderful bosses and enemies, the attractive atmosphere, unusual RPG elements and moar everything!

I really loved this game! Sorry for bad English, I'm Russian. Thanks for reading my review)
    Be ware haters)))
  31. Dec 27, 2012
    I believe that the official reviewers should have given the game reduced scores for the poor port: controls and graphics, but I bought a controller, used the patch and this game is amazing.
  32. Sep 27, 2012
    This is a great game, I've never enjoyed a game as much as this one. This is a must buy who enjoys a hardcore game. This game is so much more enjoyable with the new fix.
  33. Apr 5, 2013
    Must admit I raged hard at the game at first. I wanted to play with the Keyboard and Mouse.
    Ordered a USB controller online, And I have never been happier! The gameplay outshines all the flaws made while porting the game to PC.

Only thing I'm still angry about, Must be that the description on some items are faulty; The Tiny beings ring for example does not regenerate health, It
    increases it.

Even after the problems I had, I will give it a solid 10 out of 10. I really hope the next game will play as good as this.
  34. Jan 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THIS GAME IS AMAZING! This game have everything, with this game you can be Anger, Happy, Sad, and all at the same time. I Already played 100 hours of this game, and i can't complete it yet (i'm close). Every person who says "this game is bad" is because he hasn't enough skills, i play this game with my Keyboard and I really appreciate this kind of games, 'cause this game is Hard, is a real challenger. Expand
  35. Mar 26, 2013
    Plug in a controller, install the DSfix mod to play the game at 60fps, and enjoy this game as it was meant to be played. The Dark Souls/Demon's Souls games are some of my favorite games of all time. The challenge is very rewarding. The story isn't spoon-fed to the player like most other games out there. Instead, the player needs to be observant, investigate by talking to npcs, and look at item descriptions to uncover the many gems about the Dark Souls world. I have played this game on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. I will say the PC version is the best if you go through the 5 minutes of work to polish this game by installing dsfix. Make sure you read the readme before installing the mod! The only flaw this game has is the networking. It can be very difficult to connect to your friends worlds, but once you connect to them once, it is a lot easier to connect again. Expand
  36. Mar 27, 2013
    Great game greats people!!!! horror best rpg game. The best game-play I've played. The first game is sunk into the soul. Look forward to Dark Souls 2.
  37. May 7, 2013
    Giving this game a 10 is, for me, dependant on the following three conditions:

1. Use a gamepad (xbox 360, ps3 controlers are fine). The game does not play well with keyboard and mouse but fantastically with a gamepad.

2. Install dsfix for resolutions beyond 720p and fram rates above 30 fps. This will make the game look quite beautiful. Through this fix you can also disable depth of
    field, which makes the game look much crisper. (There are excellent instructions included with the fix.)

3. Install dscfix to improve your pve and pvp experience. Unfortunately the game uses peer-to-peer connections through Games of Windows Live for multiplayer and sometimes it can be very hard to establish connections. With this fix, you can easily connect to anyone with whom you are friends on GfWL.

Some would argue that a game should be perfect "out of the box", but in this case the developer From Software had a very limited budget with which to port the game to the PC. Hence the lacking graphics features, for instance. Installing the mods is very easy though and it lets you enjoy the game to its fullest. As a gamer I don't mind doing my part to maximize my experience with a game.

Story
    The game is very sparse in what it lets you know, but you can draw conclusions along the way and there are clues that will let you piece together some of the many curious things you see and hear during your travels through Lordaeron. Should you want to read them, there are excellent online articles that explain the story in detail. There is quite a bit of drama going on, both in the present and in the past.

Graphics
    Out of the box, the game looks blurry and the frame rate is capped at 30 fps. You can fix this though with the above mentioned mod, dsfix, and once you have, it looks fantastic. All the armor and equipment is extremely well designed with amazing attention to detail. The enivironments are cleverly crafted with excellent atmosphere. At times you will dread even taking a single step forward.

Sound
    The sound is rather minimalistic, but in a fitting way. Heavier armor makes noise when you run or roll, weapons sound realistic when they hit enemies, shields, walls etc. There is not a lot of music, as the environments speak a lot for themselves, but the boss battles.. well, you'll see.

Gameplay
    PVE: The game is about knowing what you're up against and a certain amount of skill. So expect a stiff challenge early on. The level design is great because it allows you to explore the world in a non-linear fashion. You may wander off in a direction that sets up against brutal enemies and that is usually a sign that perhaps you should go elsewhere for the time being. There are, however, hints in the game as to where you should go, albeit in loose terms.

Bosses are well designed for the most part and some of them are very difficult initially. It can take a while to nail down a boss fight, but stay with it because eventually you will figure out what you need to do.

There is plenty of gear and spells to be had by finding secret places, and getting there is a lot more rewarding if you managed it yourself by way of exploration. One awesome aspect of Dark Souls is the many different paths you can take with your character's development. Do you like to wield fast rapiers, long spears, huge two-handed weapons, or perhaps fist weapons? You can specialize in whatever you like and upgrade your favorite weapons along numerous paths such as lightning, magic, faith, occult, fire and chaos. Then there's magic as well, two different schools (three, kind of, with the expansion which is included in the pc version). Armor comes in tons of variations as well and in the end not too many characters in Dark Souls will ever look the same. Some even follow guides to outfit their characters like favorite characters from other games, such as Castlevania. There is no limit to the amount of awesome builds and ideas you can come up with, and this becomes even more intriguing PVP.

PVP and Co-op: This is where the game gets really interesting after a while. Initially it can be very annoying, however, as you can get invaded and killed by fellow players. The good thing is you can summon others to help you and you can let them summon you into their playthroughs. Is a boss giving you all you can handle and more? Summon a friendly phantom, bow to it when it appears and go to town on the boss! There will come a time when you realize what areas are prone to invasion and you might even linger there for some good duels. Depending on how you built your character, you will fare well or badly versus certain builds. It's a bit of rock-paper-scissor, but your skill will go a long way and since you can have multiple weapons, shields and spells equipped to change around, you will have a fair bit of flexibility.There is a lot more to PVP and co-operation in Dark Souls but I'll let you find out the rest for yourself.

There is no space for rounding this off properly. So, GLFH!
  38. May 19, 2013
    You can adjust to the console port and use it fine. It's pretty similar to most games...use key is q or e. It's all convenient. Graphics are fine and I didn't even notice the frame rate cap. While the story is distant to modern reality and there's no dramatic damsel in distress, the idea of going around in a vibrant wasteland appeals to me more.

The targeting system is obnoxious and
    aiming bows is too difficult with a mouse, but thanks to the games flexibility, I just took different approaches so it wouldn't matter much.

This game took me over 50 hours for my first playthrough. There's lots of content I missed, the visuals and scenery is awesome. The enemies are satisfying to kill and by the end of the game, I feel like I've grown in my level of patience, approach to challenging problems, and ability to appreciate difficulty as healthy rather than hindrance.
  39. Sep 19, 2013
    Let me clear things up for the people that are complaining, dark souls was not made for the PC originally and was ported from the console version, people are complaining about the graphics, well you own a computer, take 2 minutes out of your time and download and install DSfix and boom, lovely graphics, 60fps which you can lock if you want, it's not meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard because once again, it's a console port and it was made by FromSoftware for people who wished to have it on PC, quite a while after the console version was released. Now for the game itself, the gameplay mechanics are wonderful and the game is deep and challenging, people give it a bad rep because they have no patience and are used to the linear hack and slash two hit kills gameplay they get from other sword and shield games (the type that take about 2 hours to complete), the story is incredibly deep and is purposely shrouded in mystery in order for the player to discover it and see the depth and journey for himself instead of handing it out on a silver platter. It's a masterpiece of a game, unrivaled by any other RPG to date. Expand
  40. Sep 22, 2013
    Best game I have ever played. I love the difficulty, and that amazing feeling of reward after getting through a tough section/boss. On top of that for only spending about 20 bucks at the time I got almost 100 hours of game play on my first play through! The only thing that is a potential downside with an easy fix is that you need to download a 3rd party file to fix some of the FPS issues, and I would highly recommend you have a game pad. Expand
  41. Feb 26, 2014
    A: You MUST have a console controller to play this game in a way that is fun.

That out of the way, Dark Souls really does deserve the love it gets. Harsh but very enjoyable, it hearkens back to when Video games demanded that you BEAT them, not just went along for a ride with a pat on the head and unlimited everything.

Hoping the Dark Souls 2 port to PC is a bit cleaner.
  42. Oct 11, 2012
    Dark Souls is a completly unique experience. Instead of repeating old tired RPG concepts, it is a totally new kind of experience. Improving on the ideas of Demons Souls, this game adds great new elements like a seamless world. This game gets a 10/10 for creating a unique experience while most games today are repeated versions of old ideas. Whether you love it or hate it, you are really missing out if you dont give it a try. The PC version is a straight port with a whole new content - enough to be considerd a full expansion. Like any expansion, 90% of the game content is just a repeat of the orginal - this is not a new game. The graphics are very good, but no different than the PS3 version. This game is simply a port for PC plus an expansion. it dosen't need to be more. Personally I have played both and had a great time repeating the adventure again, this time playing the game with a different style and greatly enjoying the additional content. Expand
  43. Jan 5, 2013
    Beautiful, addictive, reminds a little me of Gauntlet Dark Legacy back on the Gamecube. It's honestly not that difficult, especially if you make good use of the wiki. My only complaint is that it could use a more heroic soundtrack. I think they were going for a dark horror feel, and it is there but it's not whats enjoyably about the game. Something closer to Shadow of the Colossus' soundtrack might have been more appropriate. Expand
  44. Jul 28, 2013
    Dark Souls is hard but Dark Souls is highly rewarding. It is long and it is deep, full of lore and secret and there is something to be said of this game’s atmosphere too: Dark and warm at the same time. It has also a lot of replayability. I could praise this game forever.

The fighting systems appear simple at first but when you start to dig it has a depth few games have. The character
    development is also outstanding. Everything has its use and it change the way you play along with the tone of weapons that have their original move sets.

It is a bless that this game came to the PC.

The resolution is locked in the vanilla version but you can mod it in 5 min and after that the experience is perfect. The 30 fps limit is not a problem with this kind of game if your computer can keep it constant.
  45. May 30, 2014
    When I purchased this port it was nearly unplayable. After six months of occasional stabs at it, buying an Xbox controller, and turning the graphics way down, I finally started to get into Dark Souls, and a few months later I can say it is now one of the greatest games I've ever played. Its world, art, combat system, and game mechanics all transcend its peers. The world of Lordran is worth mentioning in particular, because it is Dark Soul's main character. I never imagined a level designer could communicate so much through architecture and geography as was done through Lordran. Expand
  46. Apr 20, 2014
    This review is for the fully modded PC version.
    The modded version of this game is an adult RPG masterpiece. This game is the ultimate thinking mans rpg. The game has a great look and feel to it. The combat is tough and best used with a gamepad. The sound and the voice acting are really unique. I would have given the game a 10 if it wasn't for its bizarre and tough to follow story. Don't
    be scared off by the toughness of this game. Follow the path of least resistance and you'll be fine. Expand
  47. Mar 30, 2013
    I really appreciate how namco bandai answered to that petition signed by pc gamers for the release of this game on this platform. They respected what people demanded and its really respectable to us as well. Dark Souls is a different kind of game where DEATH is part of the gamelpay. You die, you get punished, but u will get better. Dark Souls is a game where players choses their character based on the pre-defined classes and roll into a dark world which every corner of it holds a secret. Dark Souls its a semi open world and for you in order to finish the story must kill every boss in the game. you kill enemeis and gain souls, use souls to upgrade, use the BOSS souls to make weapon, Loot for better armor, try different weaposn and examine the enemies weak points, die and experiements till you learn the mechanism of the game thats the general formula. The world has a lot to explore and it might take you quiet long time to discover its secrets and you might still miss some of it :D this ediiton for the PC is packed with the DLC where the games takes place in another town. So actually you have a longer playthrough than the normal console version. the game roughly takes about 30-50 hours to complete for the first time. Gameplay is really awesome but its needs patience also so if you thing DARK SOULS is a hack and slash game do not go for it at all sadly graphics arent that much to hold up well with other PC titles, the resulations have problems and its just a scale up from 720 and its not a real 1080 if you want to run it on 1080. FPS is more smoother than the console version but its still a 30 FPS locked and sometimes it falls below but it doest hurts the gameplay that much. You also need a xbox controller to enjoy the game finally this game is an awesome experiece where you will feel the joy of victory, Expand
  48. Dec 20, 2013
    This game really isn't that hard, but it's still a lot of fun.
    The combat is addicting, the world is big and theres a lot of replay ablity.

The port sucks though.
  49. May 17, 2014
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition Average User Score: 7.2 May 8, 2014 8 Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition ImageI'll be honest with you. This is game is actually one of the best of this generation and offers so many unique aspect lost on modern games. That feeling you get for just achieving something so simple is amazing, lost on so many recent titles. Sadly a would be perfect experience is ruined by a sloppy port. Expand
  50. May 26, 2014
    At first i was told "you won't like it, it's freaking hard" and i have a bad temper so i stayed
    away from this game then i was like "hell, why not" then i was like "How dare you keep me from this masterpiece!" lol with that said...

This game is everything i wanted in a sword and sorcery adventure game, I like that it doesn't have a set path to follow and bringing back true difficulty
    in gaming that i have not seen sense 1985 /1992 games.
    The graphics are not Directx11 but it still looks very amazing, they did well considering it's a port.
    Game play is solid, after a couple of hours you have it all down so no worries, from speed dodging techniques to tanking it up and going toe to toe you have a lot of choices here.
  51. Jan 6, 2013
    Extremly solid gameplay combined with deep plot. It has the best map design I ever seen and it's a open world ARPG. The overall mood of the game is great and actually make the game very addict while anger introducing when your character died and lose all your souls. The only weakness of this game is the bad UI design and slightly lack of music. Some might complain about the graphic but there are a graphic fix free to download online. Expand
  52. Jan 8, 2013
    Easily one of the best games I have ever purchased. This game offers a wide array of exploring and battles starting with smaller enemies working up to nerve racking battles with Giant Water Hydras and Fire Breathing Drakes. However, if purchasing on PC, GET AN XBOX CONTROLLER. Almost impossible on keyboard.
  53. Feb 19, 2013
    I bought the PC port of this game (Purely because it was £20 cheaper). I can see where people are coming from when they dislike the transfer over (Instructions given in 360 format) also the game is horrific to play with a mouse and keyboard! With a controller however the game plays just as well as the console version does. This was my first jump into the 'Souls' universe and whilst the 'Prepare to die' caption made me worry, I think it was for the right reason. This games difficulty is unforgiving. Period. People may hate, or like this. I am one of those who was slowly turned throughout my experiences, you might ask why? Dying over and over again to begin with was a frustrating experience but then I soon learned that this game was not meant to be rushed. You have to take the time to check for traps, blindspots, shortcuts etc and the game will reward you accordingly (Bonfire, items etc). A game being difficult does not make a game bad, people have grown up in an age of Call of duty/Mindless action games where all you need to do is run and gun. I find the brutal difficulty very refreshing and it gives me a great sense of accomplishment when I manage to kill off a tough boss or get through a hard area! To the actual game mechanics itself... At full resolution this game looks beautiful, I could not tell the difference between the PS3 and PC version, so I have no qualms about graphics! I enjoy RPG's anyway, but to those new to it, I think its a nice simple levelling system which just requires you to do a bit of reading to see what will benefit and what wont help. The flexibility of the system also allows you to create your own unique character to suit your style of play! The only issue I would take up with this game are the online features. Good the majority of the time however some things do ruin it for example the invasions of other players to your world can leave you at a great disadvantage (Especially against hackers who have the best equipment right at the start), it can leave you feeling rather done over if your new to the game, also Windows live has a wonderful tendency to not allow you to summon players or will just disconnect itself.

Apart from those online issues, I think the game is wonderful, like I mentioned due to its refreshingly difficult gameplay and it's classic RPG elements. If your not afraid of a challenge I would highly suggest giving the game a go!
  54. Feb 26, 2013
    This is the single most important, and the best RPG ever made, IMO.
    you will not find a more Challeging game, i love how you have to figure everything out yourself, no guidelines, just pure use of your own mind, i love it!

And the weapons and armors, OMFG i have never seen such cool looking weapons and armor in anygame before, daaaamn you can look so goddamn epic! (pardon my language).

if you haven't tried it yet, it's a must buy, it's hard, but it's worth it!

and there is so many things to this game, that you'll have 200+H's fun!

Best RPG Ever made Period!
    JUST BUY IT! you will never regret it!

And the PC port aint that bad, if you just go to http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/ and download The Mouse fix mod, and DSfix. it will make this game look stunningly beautiful, more than on PS3 and Xbox 360
  55. Oct 10, 2013
    I consider myself being one of the kind of players that just feel bored after 30 minutes of a single player and just want to log to LoL/WoW/Dota or Counter Strike. I played most new games like Bioshock, Dishnored, Batman, ecc, but the real game I really enjoyed to play is Dark Souls. Why?
    Dark Souls is not an interactive movie with crap gameplay like Bioshock Infinite. It has no unique
    pattern and approach with boring fights like Batman.
    In Dark Souls you really feel lost to yourself not knowing sometimes where or what to do, every direction you look from Firelink Shrine you are scared. It really took me long to finish the game, and trust me it was a very stressful accomplishment to make. I give the game 9 because the port sucks. Don't dare playing it without a joypad, better if you have a 360 one.
  56. Jun 9, 2013
    Decent game. the whole PVP system is a bit poor due to lag factors but all in all its a good challenging game. Graphics,plot, animations, characters...pretty nicely made. only real downside is the invasion things. people back-stab you from 30 meters in front of you.
  57. Apr 12, 2013
    Here it is "Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition". Well i've got to say the porting sucks. EXTREMELY. I had even some problem's with GFWL but then with some help of the forum i resolved it. I don't agree with the ones that say it sucks only because of the porting and they say you CANNOT mod the game... i did and is not so difficoult they just must be retarded what can i say D:. Talking about the game is just as it is on console only with a new area the Abyss and some new bosses like Artorias. So if you liked it on Console and you want it for PC for the new content or because you never played it feel free to buy it!!! Just install Durante DSfix and the bad porting by FROM SOFTWARE will be resolved! And probably you will not encounter the problem i had with GFWL Expand
  58. Jun 3, 2013
    This is one of the best RPG-games in the history of video gaming. The PC port is quite rough, but it still is really not as much as a problem as some peoples say. Download the free DSfix and enjoy.
  59. Jun 7, 2013
    My all time favorite game. Get this game. The game play is great and majority of the kinks in the game can be fixed with mods. Can't wait for Dark Souls 2!!!
  60. Nov 29, 2013
    This game must be my new Favorite!
    Even with all the problems with the port, this game is simply stunning, not only to look at (it is beautiful) but also gameplay wise. The death works in this game is brilliant, it forces you to go deeper into the unknown everytime, you ever feel safe but its so much more satisfying if you achive a victory.
    It might take a while intil you finally dive
    deep into the game (it took 3 seperate starts for me) you will be locked into it and then there will be no escape!
    If you are a PC gamer that can handle an easy install of a few patches and LOOOOOOOOVE RPG's this game is simply a must have.
    the mere fact that I give this game a 10/10 even though it has so many problems should speak for it self.
  61. Apr 17, 2014
    The PC port is something to laugh at, but that is soon fixed by DSFix, DSCFix and possibly a few texture mods (really not needed though). The lore is fantastic, the locations are fast, the enemies are well designed and tough, and the online-play is absolutely marvellous; and designed to such a great degree. Oh, and make sure to be using a controller - an Xbox one for best results.

Overall a fantastic game. Definitely worth getting on the PC.
  62. Aug 6, 2013
    Potentially the best game in the last 5 years and rivals the massive titles launched 2007/2008. Most people will be put off on the difficulty of the game but its actually not as hard as people make out, its normally user error that leads to deaths, or people being unwilling to try things and fail. The animations are extremely fluid and weapons have weight and operate fundamentally different leading to varied combat for different user preferences. This game takes a lot of common sense, situational awareness, and a little trial and error. Its a massive story which is filled with depth and ambiguity which is the point of an RPG its not to spoon feed us a story and make us use waist high cover to grind through 20 hours of game play. This is a world, a hostile world, a world filled with love and hate and the story is no different, if you are not willing to take risks or meet the game half way you will have a terrible experience, however, if you do then I promise that this would be one of the only games in your collection you will pick up months and years from now. If you want to button mash and kill everything like a unkillable god then this is not really the game for you, if you like games where you can be in a half-stupor and clear everything this is not the game for your. This is a game for people who like/love a challenge, a rich story which you need to put a lot of work forward to understand. Its for people who like combat which is more "realistic" you approach fights like a human being rather than a video game character, you value your shield more than your sword, you need to find their weaknesses, you need to use your strengths. If next week people were required to reduce every game they own to just 3 titles and those are the only video games they could play, Dark souls would make my list. Having said all of that there are some negatives I personally dont find them very bad but they definitely hold it back from a "perfect" score. Firstly you need a gamepad I wouldn't presume to recommend one in particular, but mouse and keyboard are (to put it kindly) clunky. And many users have a Low resolution problem, which can be fixed very easily using a number of methods.

Its a tough game, its unforgiving, it may not have the narrative break through of Bioshock, the atmosphere of Shadow of the Colossus, or the game play breakthrough of Super Mario Brothers but this is a game which deserves to be talked about in the same circles as those greats. What it does well it does in spades, and I as a long term gamer for the better half of my life, really respect it when a game is willing to treat me like a thinking adult, and makes me work for something. The struggle bears amazing fruit in this astounding title which will leave you pondering your choices, and what effect they will have on the world. I highly recommend it.
  63. Aug 11, 2013
    Dark Souls is an incredible RPG. There's not much more to say about it, the better way of understand is playing it. I must advise, you gonna DIE! A LOT! But, in the end, you gonna love it, 'cause it's a very, very challenging game. I have to say, the PC version is not that good, because of the graphics' issue, the excessively high pc requirements for a good performance in the game and the difficult itself. This, if I don't say the bad keyboards/mouse controls. But, even this way, the game is amazing. The gameplay is perfect, the enemies are perfect, the battle-system is quite good. And, as you can see, and as I said, there's not much to say about the game, but there's a lot to play. So, let's prepare ourselves, and let's go die!! Expand
  64. Apr 20, 2014
    A lot of the problems of the port are gone! There is a mod that fixes the camera (my biggest issue actually), the resolution and even improves the visuals - the game actually looks better than on consoles. The controls are not bad, really. Yeah, it will take a while to get used to if you're new to the game, but honestly, it's not that bad. The game is perfectly playable with keyboard and mouse, and I actually prefer it over a controller. If you don't believe me, look up "Dark Souls Mouse Fix". It makes the camera control with the mouse super smooth. In fact, in my personal experience keyboard+mouse controls are more precise that those of controllers.

As far as the game itself, there is not much to say asides from it being a complete masterpiece. Fun and addictive combat. Mysterious, dark atmosphere, cool environments. And an intriguing storyline, the presentation of which is very, very unique. The game is very challenging, and yeah, some aspects of it can be quite difficult, especially if you're new to the game.

In short, an amazing, epic journey that you will not easily forget. Getting used to the somewhat untraditional keyboard controls is IMO a small sacrifice for the privilege of experiencing this masterpiece.
  65. Sep 9, 2013
    This game is very atmospheric and challenging. People complaining about it just have to go and buy a controller to plug into their PC. It's only ~20$.
  66. Sep 11, 2013
    Pretty much the exact same fantastic game as the console versions but FROM SOFT messed up the port with bad keyboard+mouse controls, and poor PC optimization. Nothing community mods couldn't fix though.
  67. Dec 2, 2013
    I played this relatively recently so wanted to point out to readers that they should be mindful of the date of the user review. There have been very simple patches released that make this game easily playable on the PC with mouse and keyboard. It took a solid couple of hours adjusting to the controls but from there on out there was another 100 hours without any meaningful problems (camera was fine, frame rate fine, resolution fine, etc.).

That being said, as I am sure one can discern based upon the critical reception, the game is fantastic with one caveat, if you go into it expecting hand holding consistent with how most games have been made over the past decade it's something of a rude awakening. The game is difficult but not as awe inspiringly challenging as some would have you believe, rather it just has a steep learning curve. Once you figure out the fairly basic mechanics of how the game works where it punishes you and where it doesn't it's no more difficult than playing another game in it's "hard" mode. If you're like me, you'll appreciate the challenge.

A complaint of mine has been that too many games you fly through the game without ever pausing to really take in the surroundings. Not so with Dark Souls in large part because the game forces you to proceed cautiously rushing into any area generally will mean a fairly quick demise. Overall though, your experience of the game hugely benefits because of this. And in terms of getting bang for your buck, pulling 60 hours out of your first playthrough is not an entirely unreasonable expectation depending on how thorough you choose to be.

I will not go into the minutiae of the game itself other than to say it's the most fully realized and engrossing dark fantasy world available on the PC. The only other that comes close is the Witcher 2 (another game I would strongly recommend, though for different reasons). If you like action RPG's and don't mind a challenge, this is the ticket.
  68. Nov 19, 2013
    This game has an awful BUT after u install and setup the unofficial patch the game is just great combat RPG lv-up elements, and finally not a game that babysits u and hold your hand... game is full of mini boss and boss fights and most of the game u will feel changed buy ai. Exploration on your own, sudden deaths, and so much depth of what looks like basic RPG is just so immersive.
    I had
    some issues with Big Hat Logain and had to kill last boss whit basic magics but it only made it even more rewarding at the end. Am not sure i even want to talk about awesome mp features of the game 9.9 from me but am not sure how to do it so will give it a 10 :)
    gamepad is a must
  69. Nov 20, 2013
    First impression: console crap, terrible port, bad mouse+keyboard controls etc. After fixing all the port-related problems with DSFix, buying a 360 controller and 500+ hours of gameplay later: the best RPG of this generation and definitely one of the true masterpieces of video gaming history. Beautiful dark fantasy world, captivating atmosphere full of isolation and despair, well-hidden, but complex story, great responsive combat system, unique multiplayer elements and extremely addictive gameplay. Yes, this can be a very challenging piece at your first playthrough, but as you learn from your mistakes and your skill goes through natural progress, you're slowly becoming a master and you will eventually fall in love with this beast. 10/10 Expand
  70. Dec 13, 2013
    I don't understand how people can give this game a zero rating, this is one of the best games ever made, the addon allows 60 fps and greatly improves the texture, provided you install the addon the pc version is much better than the console version, though I'd highly recommend using a controller preferably 360) as the game is not as fun without one.
  71. Jan 16, 2014
    This game is beauty.
    The port isn't great, it isn't playable with mouse and keyboard, but this game is the reason why I bought a 360 controller for my pc, and I can say it's worth it.

Game is hard and punishing, but has a really customizable gameplay: there are several fighting styles, you may farm souls to level up early or just stay at level 1 the whole game, and the game is open
    world.

Buy this game if you miss the good old days, where games weren't pay2win or designed for people who don't want to think, just win.
  72. Sep 4, 2014
    Get gamepad controller, DSfix (to tweak performance and quality) and DSCfix (for better connection with friend-list players and either non-friend with DSCfix installed), so you are ready to go (it will be long)...

Dark Souls is just perfectly done old-school Action-RPG, not affected with latest games "innovations" (sarkasm).
    #Great world (not kilometers long, dull, empty world, its
    some sort of open, just great designed, where everything fits with everything , with atmosphere around, interconnected areas which makes exploration awesome, very interesting locations, no chances to boring around),
    #Greatly done, deep combat, especially boss fights and PvP, near every weapon have diffirent movesets, here are comboses, blocks, counters, rolls, jumping attacks, challenging enemies, everything what makes combat superior, need to play some more time it out to know what I'm talkin about, only backstabbs are some sort of cheap feature,
    #Character development - earned souls are like expierience points and some sort of cash, raising attributes is well done, there are plenty of them, which every of them have affect on our gameplay, inventory managment is great too, lot of customization and good upgrade weapons/armors system, And there are no best equipment, it all depends how are you playing and how do you use things to make yourself complete...
    #World lore and characters - who goes deep in game, knows what Im talking about,
    #Game design - art design of game is just excellent... Everything in game is not generic, is just well crafted, detailed as hell, world locations, enemies, bosses (awesome), items, evetything around looks like hand made masterpiece, From Software earned applaus again here,
    #Sound effects - good, which fits to game, einvorment SFX, and soundtrack, which some tracks here are again some memorable masterpiece (Four Kings theme, Golem/Stray theme, Gwyn theme),
    #Gameplay/Atmosphere - game plays excellent and long, well done controls if played on gamepad ( well, its console port), combat, exploration, suiting yourself with better things, discovering deep world around and rich game mechanics, nothing more to tell ;), no chances to gets bored, atmosphere of game is thick as hell,
    #Online interactions - well there are messages leaving system, PvP and Co-operation system, and other miscelanous things, that shows other players egsistence, Well there are flaws and bad things, but about bad later. PvP and Co-op are great additions which makes gameplay more and more awesome, combat system is just great for PvP (tons of people just made characters for PvP only). On beggining it can be overhelming, but after some hours spended here it will be superior expierience.... And there are a lot of various covenants, which have affect on how we will interact online.
    #Artorias of the Abyss DLC content - fullfilment to the core game, great quality addition, best bosses from the game here,

Bad things
    #Port quality - issues can be fixed with DSfix tool, mentioned above,
    #Online play quality - one big mess here, annoying GFWL system, all time lags (you must all time think some seconds forward, forseeing alot), not depending a lot on our connection quality, damn bad players pairing, most of time invasion/summoning failed communicates, often disconnections, it makes online playing only for players with some patience, I didnt ever saw worse than that online playing system on my eyes, check it out to get qucikly annoyed....

So final - game is overall masterpiece. From Software made near perfect game, made for gamers, not just for commercials (sadly, Dark Souls 2 gone to wrong way...) Game that you need to play, if you like action-RPG (well mixed, lot of action), with great depth in its, a lot of memorable things there, 10/10 note fully desreved. Issues to bad port quality can be easily fixed, so I dont take that on final opinion. One of the best games made ever. That's not a lie people, play it by yourselfs. Worth buying without any hestitations, and its very cheap to buy in this time.
  73. Sep 27, 2013
    This game is a *must* play for any action rpg fan. There is nothing else like it. PC port does present technical issues but they are easily dealt with. Do not attempt to play this without a controller, it is not designed for kb/m interaction.

It is, however, one of the finest games of our generation.
  74. Jul 27, 2013
    I truly thought this game would blow, got on an amazing steam sale. Very creative, fun and evolving playstyle to this game, lots of fun. ONLY WATCH OUT! Buy a 360 controller for this, it is definitely needed. If you can put that aside it's quite a fantastic game.
  75. Jul 20, 2013
    Dark Souls is an awful port, it forces me to use the Games For Windows Live client, and I’m *still* recommending it to you! If it wasn’t for the genius who created the DSfix mod, then I’d have passed this up and stuck with my PS3 copy of Dark Souls. With the DSfix, the PC adaptation of Dark Souls actually performs *better* than the console versions. You also don’t have to deal with the PSN store or the Xbox Live Marketplace and instead get the incredible DLC for free, which by the way, is one of the best DLC experiences I’ve ever had. It features some of my favorite video game bosses and adds more epic music to an already epic soundtrack. The PC version of Dark Souls will initially give you a bad first impression, but after manually tweaking the config and installing DSfix, it’s actually the best choice between the other two versions of Dark Souls.

What’s great about Dark Souls is that it features some of the most addicting gameplay and provides an incredibly fun challenge that’s punishing and difficult, but not unfair. In other words, you die from your own mistakes and not from a cheap glitch introduced by the game (with the exception of those stupid silver knight archers in Anor Londo). Another awesome aspect of the game is how there’s no safe haven from the hideous and twisted creatures of Dark Souls. You can take a quick breather at the bonfires you’ll stumble upon throughout your journey and meditate, but then you’re back alone in the dangerous world full of enemies looking to poison, assassinate and eat you. From Software also carries over the fantastic New Game feature to Dark Souls. This offers unlimited replay value and allows you to build an unstoppable juggernaut. Dark Souls has some incredibly memorable moments and features some of the best boss fights a video game has ever offered. Despite the annoying GFWL DRM and technical issues, all of these aggravations are fixable and ultimately doesn’t take anything away from Dark Souls’ phenomenal gaming experience.
  76. Oct 25, 2013
    This took me a long time to get the hang of. In fact, I left the game for about 3-4 months because I ended up playing something else. I came back to it and started getting better with the combat and learned with ample use of an online guide, how to complete sections of the game.

It is frustrating, yet it's also meant to be that way. The thing is though, you will beat a particular
    section, or boss. What I like the most is the absolute isolation you feel playing the game. The environmental effects or firelink shrine music really set the stage.

There's a lot to this game, so be sure to make the most out of all the guides available on the internet. There's so much variety when it comes to weapons and armor, it really is an RPG lover's wetdream.
    Yes, the PC controls such without a well known mod.

Yet, I ended up using an Xbox 360 controller (actually went out and bought one for this game) and it works great.
  77. Dec 30, 2013
    After what seems like almost 3 years (simply because it actually has been this long by now) its finally dawned on me- I get Dark Souls. I understand enemy placement, items, most of the weapons, the different covenants, the boss fights, the NPC merchants, the layouts of all the areas in the game and even to some extent the "plot" or subplots contained amongst a very vague, shadowy, and ultimately somewhat pointless endeavor by you the player character. So what can I say about my rating for this game then? What is it about this game that has scorned me in such a way that going back and playing now is essentially pointless? Well for starters, the game is a mess. Not only developmentally, but in terms of many other relevant and important things that are simply not brought up. The soundtrack was simply intended for another game, seeing as it only plays during specific boss battles, or for certain areas. The rest of the "sound" is empty, ambient, fleeting and rather dull. The combat system is an acquired taste as well. Seeing as their are literally millions of configurations, item combinations, weapon combinations and armor combinations you could claim its "very amazing that this is all rather non intuitive and impossible for a person who does not have hundreds of hours on hand to figure them all out." Which brings me to my next point. What is the point of Dark Souls? Its core gameplay is fine, rather rudimentary and simple even. It makes sense after the first 10 hours or so and though it takes more time to understand the layouts of some frankly rather "small" areas in which you roam about, its still remains as quite different than most game titles these days. However, as most people have noticed, Dark Souls didn't exactly start any revolutions either. It kept players busy grinding, matchmaking dueling, summoning, and farming all around the mighty souls system itself. The human being deep somewhere in my bones would like to say that self-gratification in a game like Dark Souls comes at a huge cost whenever you die to something you would've needed literally hours of play testing yourself to bypass correctly or to have taken on directly. Which is why its so counter-intuitive really. The entire game based around collecting souls for your multi-purpose leveling solution and currency system completely undone by its own internal simplicity. Dark Souls is a simple game, much like Diablo 2 really or any other dungeon crawler. But even Diablo 2 had more "unique" environments, a better soundtrack for every area of the game, brilliant boss fights, and more memorability in my own opinion. As most know, the areas after Anor Londo are mostly empty, containing much more architectural splendor than meaningful, thought out level design and actual incentive to explore. The areas are by no means "massive" and I've never thought them to be particularly interesting to explore to begin with. Locations like the infamous Blight town are poorly coded, Dukes archives are practically empty, and the sprawling forest area is immensely tedious to wander around without any item incentives. The whole disconnect is there especially with player interaction via GFWL as well. Messages certainly don't matter and carry no real meaning for other players unless its actual advice left for whomever may be in that area. Covenants are distant, expensive, time consuming and don't really reward players as much as they think. Matches are often sparse, buggy, poorly optimized and usually quite lag ridden for both players involved and this isn't really what FROM SOFTWARE expected when they designed the game with consoles in mind. So much effort has to be made to get the game playable on PC that you are better off just not playing it either. Having played PVE for two years off and on- from having now played PVP for close to a year and a half- I can earnestly say.. I don't enjoy the game. It has taken a long time for me to finally come to terms with it, but I really truly recommend that new players simply avoid purchasing this incomplete and tedious action rpg. Dark Souls has not been emulated even once since its inception, which should tell you, what the rest of the western world at least, thinks of games done in this way. It isn't a bad game, but at this point its starting to sound like a bad inside joke among fans. Even Demons Souls fans grow tired of the stigma that is Dark Souls that has wiped out the popularity of its predecessor. Its so bad in fact that fans now speculate the entirety of the lore in the game, without really any reference or understanding beyond what things they see in the game itself. This tells me one of two things, either these people really want to see this amazing game that others don't see, or the other group that is less inclined to play this game as often are more apt to see it for its strengths and weaknesses instead. Just like any other game on the market today. Expand
  78. May 28, 2013
    One of the best RPG's and outright best games I have ever played. A hard working modding community has really made this an extremely worthwhile port for the PC. I see a lot of complaints about the clumsy controls or the sloppy porting problems but these issues did not mar the remarkable quality of this game.
  79. Nov 21, 2012
    Since I own both the PC and the PS3 versions of Dark Souls, I can say right off that the PC game is a bad port. The good news is that the game is easily modded to the point that the PC version is light years ahead of the console version. Its far clearer, richer and better to play on. There is even a mouse mod that allows you to control the mouse aspects to your specifications. In other words, the mouse and keyboard system is perfect with the mod. Do a search for Dark Souls Nexus to find it.

The other issue is of its difficulty. Its brutal. Enough said. Its meant to be difficult. Way difficult. But there is no game I know of that gives me more rage and elation than this game. When you die, you loose everything... everything is a gamble, every move has its risks, and the risk is high... This is RPG in its purest form. It requires you to plan, observe battle movements of enemies, choose areas that pose the least amount of risk and collect souls to level up. Retreat means survival and strengthening. Die, and you loose everything you worked for. Its rage inducing, but in the end, I died because I was at fault, not the game. When the risks are high, the exhilaration while being in a battle is beyond any game I have ever played. This game is not for the light hearted. Everywhere you go, there is a sense of dread. You know you can die so easily, but in order to survive, you must play smart. If you love a challenge, then this game is for you. I'm glad I bought the PC version of DS. With the mods, this game is now fixed for the PC and it looks fantastic! I have over 600 games on Steam and this is by far the best game I own. Just remember, when the game beats you down to a pulp, its all your fault. Not the game's. Learn from your mistakes and plan your attacks. This game deserves to be hailed as the best Action based RPG ever made.
  80. Dec 12, 2012
    IFirst of all, i'm aware this is a console port. But it's this gamer's honest opinion that therein lie its beauty. When i played with a gamepad, i sucked. More so than i thought possible. I broke a gamepad trying to get cope with the game's controls. I'm not proud of that. I deleted the game shortly after and forgot all about it. Then, i went through a handful of similar games only to be disappointed by all of them. Something was missing. There still was my yearning for a challenging game. After that, i gave DS another shot. This time, i took upon myself to get accustomed to the keyboard mappings, because i had no gamepad. I think the controls are very accessible and PC friendly. They're not "Default" pc controls, but once you figure out which button does what, you'll find the game more relaxed and easy flowing. Hell, you can even map keys the way you like them. It took some time, roughly 8 hours of non-stop gameplay to see that the game CAN be a chore, but it's also rewarding. That tiny moment of success is worth hundreds, even thousands of "deaths". I'd also like to mention that i feel the game is really FAIR to a player that abides by it's rules. You don't lose items when you die and the souls you lose, you can reclaim if you're smart and determined enough. I just can't believe that i hated it because it make me use my brain! What the hell?! How dare it!? I never needed to think or analyze or even strategize to get through any other games. It was at that moment that i realized that games have been spoonfeeding me for years. That's why YOU will love this game as well. It has a feeling of those old arcade games like GnG. It has a SOUL, if you will. At times, it can be tiresome, it can also be demanding and unforgiving, but in the end, it's well worth the effort you put into it. Expand
  81. Dec 28, 2012
    This is definitely a game for the patient. It is hard, but fair and requires that you LEARN from your mistakes, instead of running in and hoping for the best. The entire area is a potential advantage or disadvantage depending on how you use it, so it requires that you think about what you're going to do before you try to fight. It isn't for everyone, if you like hack and slash, run for the hills, if you want a challenge, dish out the cash and buy Dark Souls. Personally, I like it, it has a good plot if you look for it and the challenge is unrivaled in modern games. I give it a 10 for the pve and pvp challenge.

It is hard. It is challenging. It is fair. No boss is impossible, all bosses have weaknesses or strategies that work to take them down. All you need is a little patience.
  82. Nov 1, 2012
    A truly unique gaming experience that will take you through all the motions. At times you will be extremely frustrated, at others, you will be extremely satisfied. This game requires you to switch things up, you can't go in guns blazing. It is very unforgiving, which makes progressing through it extremely satisfying. You will be taught to learn from your mistakes, and taught to take your time. 10x better than garbage being shoveled out by EA and Ubisoft. Definitely must buy this game. Expand
  83. Feb 26, 2013
    OK...I just got this game for the PC after months of indecision and reading mixed reviews. Ultimately, a bad case of boredom and Skyrim OD convinced me to pick it up. Well, wouldn't you know...this has become my current fave action/ rpg. The first thing I did (even before beginning the game) was to head on over to the Dark Souls Nexus and download the DSFix as well as a few other goodies like texture improvements, and some weapon re-skins. Holy crap, it looks and plays awesome! Not one crash (unlike Skyrim every few minutes) after hours of play; runs smoothly at 60fps and the graphic mods make it shine. I am amazed at those whiners who complain about it being a poor PC port; as a PC gamer you never heard of mods? That is why I play PC games more than my PS3...the ability to mod. Seriously, it only took a few minutes to download and install the fixes, and was it ever worth it. This game will kick your sorry butt, even from the beginning. There are often hints and tips from other players lying around the areas, but even if you know the exact method to beat a particular boss, YOU still have to DO IT. Make no mistake, this is a game that requires skill, timing and patience. If you lack any of these qualities, stay away. It can be brutally hard in spots, but never unfair; and when you finally do beat that annoying Black Knight and get his kickass sword it is a reason for celebration. At times, playing as a human I got pwned by another player invading my world. It might be advisable to stay Hollow until you've upgraded yourself, otherwise you might be making a long trek back to the site of your ignominious demise. Finally, a great looking intense action oriented game with a real challenge and lots of customization options. Playing Skyrim after this would be like going back to kindergarten. Praise the Sun! Expand
  84. Nov 18, 2012
    Great game, bad port. Issues can be mostly fixed with a community patch, and if you're willing to play with an Xbox or PS3 controller. Get it on sale if you're skeptical.
  85. Dec 19, 2012
    Best game I have played in years. Playing since release and still going strong. The overall immersion is very satisfying. The difficulty brings me back to the gaming challenges of my youth. I would recommend this game to anyone at any age. I originally pre ordered on PS3, I eventually purchased a the PC version on sale over at Steam. Look for it, buy it.
  86. May 21, 2013
    People are amazed by this game because it gives you the experience a role playing game should actually give you... something 95% of the PC RPGs are truly lacking. Whoever created this game should truly be commended. It is surprising that this game was first offered on the XBOX, being that it appears to be aimed towards an extremely mature audience. In anycase... there it is... the first actual RPG to be offered for the PC. If you wish to get a taste of what Dungeons and Dragons was truly about, try this game. And have some patience with it, the controls take some getting used to (360 gamepad highly recommended) Expand
  87. Aug 12, 2013
    Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition is an amazing game and possibly one of the most hardest games ever made. You will enjoy the storyline/lore, the simple yet complex gameplay, the unforgiving difficulty, the epic music and the hilarious engine that the game runs on. With the addition of a New Game+ and multiplayer feature, the replay value for this game is simply one of the best seen in a RPG and to top it off you have a reasonable amount of hours that can be placed in the game and it comes with a famous composer's music that will bring more than likely more than nostalgia to some players. The amount you can do with your character, changing their play style, fighting style and amongst other things will keep you coming back again and again especially with a addicting PVP experience. Expand
  88. Jan 27, 2013
    An incredible game that truly challenges the player. I never quite had any problem with graphical issues or FPS but maybe that's because of my custom built computer. The atmosphere was incredible and the entire feel to the game was very dark and depressing. The online part is horrendous to deal with an invader always striking fear in my heart. I love the idea of it of course, it just adds to the dark and depressing atmosphere. Expand
  89. Jun 25, 2013
    I'll keep this short, since it's a simple breakdown.

The game is amazing. It's possibly the most immersive and fluid gem of our generation. Combat is excellent, the art style is sublime, and the story that exists is told through clever hints that allow the player to discover the world on their own, without being spoon-fed. Dark Souls is one of the best games of all time.

Having said
    that, the PC port is just horrible. Optimization is okay, but unreliable at times. Beyond that, mouse and keyboard controls are totally inane, and the resolution is capped at 720p. HOWEVER, there's a simple mod called DSfix that uncaps the framerate and fixes most of the other issues as well. It's a completely essential mod that turns Dark Souls from a bad port into a pretty decent port.

Here's the summary:
    If you plan on using DSfix, get this game for the PC now. It's an epic experience and it comes bundled with amazing DLC.
    If you absolutely will not use DSfix for some reason, you're better off saving yourself the trouble and getting a console version.
  90. Aug 2, 2013
    Have to give this a 10 (the PC port doesn't deserve it) just for the bunch of 0 rating dumb morons and kids with a low enough IQ to not be able to play/figure out this game. A lot of people even complain about the game not having a story.... Dark Souls does not have a story... freaking HILARIOUS! It's the ultimate proof the definition of "PC gamers" is now DEAD. (srry guys we are a minority and nearly extincted now) It's just a bunch of stupid sheep most of the time who need to be told where to go and what to do every freaking step of any game.

PC games are rarely skill based nowadays compared to what they were even just 10 years ago.
    Are humans getting dumber?
  91. May 30, 2014
    Stick with it if you get a bit frustrated!

This game is the most original and inspirational action RPG I've ever played. I love it. It gives you everything. But can be daunting for people new to the game. Please stick with it - it is rewarding and fun. Use the Wikis for it if you get stuck - there are three very good ones. But most importantly don't let yourself be put off by
    frustration, especially that born of the PvP and being invaded early in the game.

Cheating by PvP'ers who invade is a toxic problem, (And this isn't people who twink gear down to lower levels which although it is insurmountable for new players [and is thus in and of itself frustrating] it isn't actually cheating). The problem is that people can fix their game so they have high resists, high health, high damage, and more. . . http://www.usgamer.net/articles/cheating-more-than-death-in-dark-souls.

The game is great - but if you are just getting into it - just be mindful of the state of Cheat Engine usage - and disable (with firewall rules) GFWL till you get more comfortable with the game and it's mechanics. The sure fire method of enjoying the game is to simply Alt F4 when you are told you are being invaded, (read the Wiki to know when NPCs are invading as you will want to fight them). Then once you are backing up your save games, (called save scumming), and are comfortable with the game, then give PvP a try if you are invaded - But expect to encounter someone who has a frozen health bar, or unlimited stamina, or a weapon that reduces your stats to 25% and teleports you to Anor Londo, (see the article), or some other impossible ability - And expect them every third person who invades.
  92. Nov 4, 2012
    Now before you read this, I must say that this game is a HORRENDOUS port. Of course, every single problem can be fixed, every single one, except it won't show the keyboard and mouse controls. The only game that is a worse port is RE4.

If you want to play this game, downloading the fan made patch is required, but its like 5kb, if your too lazy to DL it, then you won't like the pace of
    Dark Souls anyhow. And NO, the keyboard and mouse controls are entirely playable if you rebind the menu button to esc (which you can do ingame) and activate the mouse fix that fixs the inverted mouse acceleration. There, game is fixed for PC, if you don't like the textures, theres a fix for that too. Now onto the game review. This game is magnificant. The game has amazingly good level design. Weapons are amazingly balanced and the only thing that is useless is ranged, (cept magic) but if ranged was powerful, it would likely make the game worse anyway (no way it could be fun in dark souls).

The game is very rarely cheap, the only part of the game I would call cheap would be the two **** knight archers in Anor Londo. The game is extremely skill based BUT it also requires you to pay attention. Every single trap is predictable before hand (except the one in the tutorial level, that does very low damage and is designed to show you this game has enviromental traps). Even the infamous dragon on the bridge. The bridge is charred, there was a dragon earlier, and there is burned corpes all over the bridge, IT DOES WARN YOU.

The game does not have great graphics, but its art style is amazing, every level looks different and unique. And is designed in very different ways. Blighttown is a small town built on the side of a giant underground cave, with a poisoness bog at the bottom. Anor Londo is a bright but empty (as in lonely, it has packed areas as well) city. Sens Fortress is a Indiana Jones style fort of deadly traps. The games framerate is bareable, if you can handle 30fps. Using my crappy gtx 240, I get only a few frame drops, with constant drops in Blighttown (which it is infamous for) and the rickety bridge into New Londo Ruins (which is covered in smoke effects, which explains the lag, theres no enemies here anyway, so it aint game breaking). The difficulty is perfect, relying on skill and tactics more then brute force. Yes, memory helps, but you can figure out what enemies attacks are before they even do it by what their tell (all enemies have tells) is on the attack, which often reveals it. The game also isn't unfairly hard at points, always challenging, but never dickish. Music is amazing, however often not playing. Only the main bonfire at firelink shrine and boss fights have music, but every boss fight has a unique song you will never here anyway else, and the final bosses song is so fantastic. It contrasts all other boss fight's music and is fantasticly well done. Voice acting is great, surprisingly since there is multiple grammar mistakes, but never in dialogue and never at an unreadable level. All characters are unique and have a purpose, and all seem slightly insane. (always with the laughing)

PVP is a disappointment, not because of the system it uses, but because I'm Australian, its very hard to enter a session. After 25 hours of being human total, I got invaded once, and that was a hotspot I was in for many hours. Controls are precise, although the delay for sprinting is annoying. PC controls are entirely playable if you spend 5 minutes fine tuning it and downloading the mouse patch. 360 controls are reccomended however, even if the controls are entirely playable with KB&M (If you want proof they are playable, look at Rainicorn's old twitch series, where she beat the entire game and half at SL1 (which is VERY hard and requires lots of precision) all using mouse and keyboard with auto lock on broken (yeah, don't use it without gamepad).

People say there is no story. DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM. The game has a massive amount of lore, but its hidden, 99% of it is in item descriptions. But it is very very confusing and difficult to piece together. I wouldn't reccomend trying to figure out everything.

All round the best action RPG I have ever played, blowing skyrim out of the water. And one of the best games I have ever played as well.
  93. Oct 28, 2012
    at all the guys who give this game a "ZERO" cause of controlls. read a review and if u guys have an xbox 360 or ps3 than why u dont buy it for them? or use ur xbox controller or ps3 controller for ur pc? This Game never deserves a ZERO.
  94. Mar 29, 2014
    Port issues and me being late to the online party this was supposed to be... apart, this game is what many games should strive to be. The game is a real challenge, as you may have heard, since it's pretty much its selling point, but even if it's so hard I think it still manages to do so being absolutely fair, with a good mix of trial and error and literally testing your reflexes (unless you are not dodging). But oh, is this game so much more. Save for a few forgettable exceptions, the intro and the endings, this game is a constant stream of gameplay never interrupted, that doesn't "tell" you any story, but rather makes it happen as you exist in its world, at times so indirectly that you may miss parts of it! It has solid theming: the duality of life and death contained in the element of fire, recurring throughout the game as a source of both of those things. Atmosphere and graphics: well crafted and beautiful, almonst inseparable from the setting itself for how well they are integrated. As for the gameplay itself, I don't think I'm able to explain very well the genre other than saying it's an action RPG, but here's some things that are damn worth mentioning: farming doesn't make the game easy; farming is still a challenge and therefore shouldn't even be called like that, apart from some of the initial weapons no gear in this game is "useless" or just for the early game; almost literally everything is viable in PvE (in PvP I can't really tell, I'm pretty sure it's at least better than any other overcentralized metagame given the variety I've seen, but certainly not everything is recommended) thanks to the scaling and upgrading system, thus avoiding that typical rpg situation in which you keep dropping useless things with a grey name that don't help neither for vendors nor immersion and no one likes to see in their inventory; every type of weapon is a different playstyle and there's tons of space for customization (see viability)! Add to all of this incredible package a gimmicky, original online mode that will keep you connected to the internet without actually using it except at random intervals to make the player sessions interact with each other to either help (through warning messages you can leave on the ground, summoning players for cooperation) or for added difficulty, in the case of being "invaded" by a player that will hunt you down for a reward. It's just amazing on so many levels that, as you can see, the only way to say how good it is is to actually say what the game is! Talk about self explanatory. Expand
  95. Feb 7, 2014
    Nb: I'm using the fan patch, and 25hrs in (about 40% though)
    I've experienced no technical problems, no crashes (despite frequently tabbing out), 1680/1050.
    I find this game perfectly fine to play with keyboard+mouse, though it takes a little getting used to at first.
    I've enjoyed this game immensely so far, it feels very deliberately crafted and smartly made, for instance, a new player
    will have to stumble through the world essentially following the developer's intended path and rate of progression, overcoming increasing obsticles while they become stronger and more experienced.
    Whereas familiar players can (deliberately) skip swaths of areas and obtain powerful items very early if they wish.
    in addition, experienced (or researched) players can also take advantage of the crafting system and multiple new-game+ modes.
    Despite being told the contrary, I have not found this to be a difficult game, it is instead a very punishing game. If you play recklessly and make a mistake, you will be punished for it, but if you play smart, you can easily defeat anything this game puts in your path.
    The best comparison I have experienced is WoW Heroic raiding where there is very little room for error and a single mistake can cause your death (and often wipe the raid).
    Some people mention the old-school Shinobi in reference to difficulty, which doesn't really do Dark Souls justice, as where old games required lightning reflexes to overcome, the deliberate unbreakable animation system in dark souls (which some refer to as unresponsive and clunky) allows for more leniency in response times,
    ie. if you dodge or block, the enemy will be stuck in that animation for the duration, during which you can safely strike back (and the same applies when you fail an attack)
    because of this, the game is not restricted to 'twitch' players, which in turn makes it perhaps one of the more 'open' games, though not quite 'turn-based'.
    A healthy grandmother/father would likely have no more trouble at playing this game than anyone else.
    I've heard this game was buggy upon launch, all I can say to that is get the fan patch which will make it perfectly fine.
    At this point I can think of no reason not at least try playing Dark Souls.
  96. Jan 10, 2013
    After playing more casual games this is total a breath of fresh air when compared to lesser rpg's (Skyrim comes to mind), Dark souls really rewards you for skill and intelligence and severely punishes you for stupidity. The combat is great and with a controller at least, the controls are good, while difficulty of the enemies only serves to add to the sense of satisfaction when you defeat them. Overall a great game albeit with some PC porting issues but that's nothing mods can't fix. Expand
  97. Jul 12, 2013
    This is an EXCELLENT game after applying the DSFix mod. Why do I like it SO much? It's a hard game. You just can not start running and hacking and get anywhere at all. This game is just the perfect amount of hard to frustrate me, make me stop and think of how to beat this new boss or area. I may ponder that problem for a few hours to a few days, then try again. I LOVE that about this game.
  98. Apr 26, 2014
    To be honest I can't really name any things that are made bad or even mediocre in this game. The visuals are very nice and stylish (just use DSCfix), the music and sounds are great, the battle system is very well balanced and simply awesome, the lore and is fantastic (though you need to dig through side materials like wiki pages, but it's worth it), the atmosphere is really depressing, the controls are good (BUT only if you use a gamepad). The game is pretty hard, everyone knows that, but it is not impossible, you just need to have some skills in it, if you learn on your mistakes - you will be victorious in Dark Souls. Well, there are some minor details I didn't like - for example - you can kill or be killed hitting through a wall. But overall, the game is great, I understand all the hype and praise it gets. The sloppy port was greatly fixed, so the gamers rank here is way too low. Expand
  99. Mar 17, 2014
    My experience is a perfect 10/10. Loved the game on Xbox and for me having a PC port is brilliant as it opens up all sorts of options like a HD texture pack and just generally better performance and graphics. I understand other people whinging about it being a bad port - and I guess it is, a controller is recommended and when you get past the Windows Live integration it's FINE. But for me, I loved everything about it. :) Expand
  100. Oct 9, 2012
    I'm playing with keyboard and mouse and original pc frame-rate and resolution. And this is one of the best games I have played for a long time!
    very engaging, graphics looks good ,just change the pc controls to what you like.

I'm glad they did this port, never had any consoles.
    The game is great!

The irony is that the PC version could have been much better than the PS3/360 ones, with higher resolutions to make the textures look better, a cornucopia of mods and/or an active (in theory at least) community. But FROM ruined it all (with the assistance of Games for Windows Live). It’s a shame really, if we at least had just a decent port (or a better infrastructure for a less appalling multiplayer mode), Dark Souls could have been one of the best RPG for the PC. [November 2012]
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    Not often do you see a game that is equally rewarding as it is frustrating; and it's not because the game is unfair.
    Dark Souls returns the hardcore elements back to action RPGs – heavy focus on uncompromising fight mechanics and absolute freedom in hero profiling. The price of this game is not for everyone. [Oct 2012]