7.2

1. Sep 27, 2013
    This game is a *must* play for any action rpg fan. There is nothing else like it. PC port does present technical issues but they are easily dealt with. Do not attempt to play this without a controller, it is not designed for kb/m interaction.

It is, however, one of the finest games of our generation.
  2. Aug 27, 2012
    This is an amazing game let down by reviewers wanting things the company never promised. Basically don't buy this game unless you have an Xbox 360 controller or will buy one to play the game. Use Durante's great fix to allow the graphics to run at 1080p and super sample and with any decent graphics card you are going to love this game. It's brutally hard, and very beautiful. The manual is not great and you'll undoubtedly get a little frustrated at first, but great things await anyone with a modicum of intelligence and a desire to play a unique and challenging RPG. Expand
  3. Aug 28, 2012
    THE CONTROLS ARE SPOT ON. ANYONE WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT CONTROLS IS JUST A NOOB. The game is excellent. I use a Razr Onga which is extremely good. Being able to play Dark Souls anywhere I go on my laptop is something I have been waiting eagerly for ever since I heard about the release.
  4. Aug 24, 2012
    To all people who are downrating it because the game because it is a port. I have to ask, what did you expect, Fromsoftware is an EXTREMELY small company who barely had the manpower to make the game for ps3 and xbox. If they wanted to make a perfect pc port, they would have had to rewrite the entire code for the game, by themselves, which would have been impossible. Fromsoftware gave the information that it would be a port from xbox before it was released and anyone who didn't know this, or rather is downrating because of it, shouldn't be a little **** about it Expand
  5. Dec 29, 2012
    Don't believe the low scores for this game, it may have been a bad port but an amazing gem lies beneath. Play with DSFIX MOD to see this games true potential, and it works great with multiplayer so don't worry about that.

PLAY THIS GAME WITH DSFIX MOD, you wont regret it.
  6. Aug 24, 2012
    Pc gamers give pc gamers a bad name. One of the best games of all time down voted because it is the exact same as the console (not entirely true, extra content + durante's rez fix + better frame rates make this the ultimate version). Just goes to show that PC gamers dont actually like great games, they like epeen things like $1000 video cards and 3-monitor setups. Meh, their loss.
  7. Oct 11, 2012
    Dark Souls is a completly unique experience. Instead of repeating old tired RPG concepts, it is a totally new kind of experience. Improving on the ideas of Demons Souls, this game adds great new elements like a seamless world. This game gets a 10/10 for creating a unique experience while most games today are repeated versions of old ideas. Whether you love it or hate it, you are really missing out if you dont give it a try. The PC version is a straight port with a whole new content - enough to be considerd a full expansion. Like any expansion, 90% of the game content is just a repeat of the orginal - this is not a new game. The graphics are very good, but no different than the PS3 version. This game is simply a port for PC plus an expansion. it dosen't need to be more. Personally I have played both and had a great time repeating the adventure again, this time playing the game with a different style and greatly enjoying the additional content. Expand
  8. Jul 27, 2013
    I truly thought this game would blow, got on an amazing steam sale. Very creative, fun and evolving playstyle to this game, lots of fun. ONLY WATCH OUT! Buy a 360 controller for this, it is definitely needed. If you can put that aside it's quite a fantastic game.
  9. Sep 5, 2012
    The port may not be perfect, but it is the best way to play dark souls. Even without 3rd party mods, the base game has extra content, AA and a more consistent frame rate. In addition it also has a number of bug fixes and some re-balancing. There are no more input lag issues and items like the dark wood grain ring and hornets ring have been toned down. The new content is masterfully put together, integrates with the game nicely and doesnt feel bolted on.

It is a requirement to play this game with a gamepad as without mods the keyboard and mouse controls are broken and unusable, the game also requires games for windows live, which will put some people off. There are a number of oversights like a locked sub 720p frame buffer, 30 fps frame rate and no in game substitutes for prompts when playing wih a keyboard and mouse...no xbox 360 buttons on a keyboard sorry FROM. How important the above is to you and whether youre prepared to investgate 3rd party mods will dtermine whether this game is for you.

Dont listen to all he overreacting negative reviewers, its this attitude that will prevent further such ventures in the future and im just appreciative that such a brilliant game can be enjoyed by more people. It may not be the best port in unmodded form, but its supporting for the long time viability of such games reaching pc in the future in more polished form. 9/10 from me, 10 on metacritic to balance all the low scoring troll reviews.
  10. Aug 30, 2012
    Criticising this game because it's a bare-bones port is absurd. The game is incredible on every level, and a lack of graphics options doesn't change that. And- this being the PC we're talking about- there's already a mod available to fix that.

You will fall in love with this game.
  11. Jul 20, 2013
    Dark Souls is an awful port, it forces me to use the Games For Windows Live client, and I’m *still* recommending it to you! If it wasn’t for the genius who created the DSfix mod, then I’d have passed this up and stuck with my PS3 copy of Dark Souls. With the DSfix, the PC adaptation of Dark Souls actually performs *better* than the console versions. You also don’t have to deal with the PSN store or the Xbox Live Marketplace and instead get the incredible DLC for free, which by the way, is one of the best DLC experiences I’ve ever had. It features some of my favorite video game bosses and adds more epic music to an already epic soundtrack. The PC version of Dark Souls will initially give you a bad first impression, but after manually tweaking the config and installing DSfix, it’s actually the best choice between the other two versions of Dark Souls.

What’s great about Dark Souls is that it features some of the most addicting gameplay and provides an incredibly fun challenge that’s punishing and difficult, but not unfair. In other words, you die from your own mistakes and not from a cheap glitch introduced by the game (with the exception of those stupid silver knight archers in Anor Londo). Another awesome aspect of the game is how there’s no safe haven from the hideous and twisted creatures of Dark Souls. You can take a quick breather at the bonfires you’ll stumble upon throughout your journey and meditate, but then you’re back alone in the dangerous world full of enemies looking to poison, assassinate and eat you. From Software also carries over the fantastic New Game feature to Dark Souls. This offers unlimited replay value and allows you to build an unstoppable juggernaut. Dark Souls has some incredibly memorable moments and features some of the best boss fights a video game has ever offered. Despite the annoying GFWL DRM and technical issues, all of these aggravations are fixable and ultimately doesn’t take anything away from Dark Souls’ phenomenal gaming experience.
  12. Aug 25, 2012
    Action RPG's are a dime a dozen these days. Most tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to what they will toss at you. The developers don't want to alienate customers by making a game that might be *gasp* too challenging. Dark Souls brings the challenge in spades but does it without feeling unfair or overly cheap. You'll get punished. then adapt, and actually feel like you have achieved something. Unlike most games which reward you for accomplishing next to nothing. It's gameplay is Dark Souls' greatest strength, in how it ties everything together (much like a fighting game) with logical solutions so that you always know you can overcome whatever challenges you are facing, no matter how difficult. I wish more developers focused on gameplay first and everything else second. --- Technically speaking the game performs very well, however, this is a straight from console "no frills" PC port. It was a game that wasn't supposed to be on the PC after all, and the way the port was handled does show signs of inexperience and hesitation on the part of the publisher/developer to give PC support. The game must be played with a controller, m+kb support is limited as was stated by the developers months ..ahem ..months ago. Also the resolution is set way too low but there is already a fix for that and I'm sure more tweaks to come (gotta love the PC modding community). People want to label the game as a "bad port" but honestly this is still the best version available as far as performance is concerned. --- Darks Souls is all about stellar gameplay and a high degree of challenge. I'm not sure this game is for eveyone and will be a pretty easy target for critics and trolls, but for me who normally likes things sleek and shiny, Dark Souls is one hell of a rough gem. Expand
  13. Aug 29, 2012
    Phenomenal game, if only a bare-bones port. The new content lives up to, and in some cases surpasses, the bar set by the content shipped with the original, console, game. While the game comes stock with a few odd limitations, all of them that can be fixed/removed have been by industrious members of the community. Overall this is a must-buy for anyone who loves challenging, in depth, and rewarding game play experiences. Expand
  14. Aug 28, 2012
    A word of warning: This game is a straight port to PC and I highly recommend using a gamepad (preferably an Xbox360 pad). The internal resolution of this game is capped at 1024x720 and the frames are capped at 30 as well (Not a big deal since this is an RPG). There does happen to be a fix from a modder going by the handle Durante. Just google DSFix for Dark Souls. Anyways, onto the review. The game is gorgeous in the sense that the art style fits this unforgiving game so well. It's dark, gloomy, and hangs towards a more gritty and realistic rendition of medieval European times. The enemies are intimidating, especially the stronger ones, and the bosses even more so. And this all ties together with the difficulty of this game. This isn't an accessible RPG. At all. You will die a lot. This game needs to be taken slow, and strategies need to be thought out. This may seem like a hack n' slash but trust me, it isn't. Strategies come down to the actual gear and stat builds of your characters and how you want to play the game. You can be a quick and nibble thief, a long range master of the bow, a sorcerer, a tanky knight that can withstand a beating, or even a melee caster focusing on fire-based DPS. It all comes down to your play style and how you'll utilize it against the merciless foes in this game. Expand
  15. Sep 10, 2012
    Apply the resolution fix, buy a controller if you don't have one, and immerse yourself in this terrifying and deeply challenging action RPG. Forget twitch reflexes and crazy weapon combos, you'll need to learn to be strategic against every monster and encounter in this realistically brutal game if you wish to ultimately succeed. It's all about knowing the strengths and weaknesses of yourself and your enemy; knowing which attacks to dodge, which to block, and which to be completely out of range of. Can you use the environment to your advantage? What weapons are most effective against your foe? Armed with this knowledge you can easily conquer any seemingly impossible challenge. It is important to note that while the game is hard, it is never unfair. Patience will reward you. Every death is a learning experience. I find it difficult to flaw such a brilliantly crafted game. There's little I can think of to actually improve it. It lacks a deep story, but that could be something that also works in its favour. The fact that you're exploring this haunting world without any sense of direction really adds to the atmosphere. Expect 70-100 hours to complete your first play-through. One of the best games of all time. Expand
  16. Aug 26, 2012
    The new content is fantastic. Dark Souls was wonderful before now, and now it's mind-blowing.

Get a gamepad, yes. Get a resolution patch. Then dim the lights and prepare yourself for one of the most engrossing and rewarding experiences you will have in your life. Dark Souls.
  17. Sep 3, 2012
    A hardcore game for hardcore gamers, Dark Souls is a true masterpiece that PC gamers deserve to play. The port may be perfunctory but it's stable and the performance is much improved over the console versions, provided you have a decent system. Ignore the idiots giving the game a low score just because From Software didn't make any specific improvements to the PC version.
  18. Oct 25, 2013
    This took me a long time to get the hang of. In fact, I left the game for about 3-4 months because I ended up playing something else. I came back to it and started getting better with the combat and learned with ample use of an online guide, how to complete sections of the game.

It is frustrating, yet it's also meant to be that way. The thing is though, you will beat a particular
    section, or boss. What I like the most is the absolute isolation you feel playing the game. The environmental effects or firelink shrine music really set the stage.

There's a lot to this game, so be sure to make the most out of all the guides available on the internet. There's so much variety when it comes to weapons and armor, it really is an RPG lover's wetdream.
    Yes, the PC controls such without a well known mod.

Yet, I ended up using an Xbox 360 controller (actually went out and bought one for this game) and it works great.
  19. Aug 25, 2012
    Great game with a basic port. It is well worth whatever minor inconvenience the port poses to be able to play this unbelievably great game. Personally, i just got a gamepad and all problems were solved. Thanks so much to the developer for bringing this to the PC platform.
  20. Aug 24, 2012
    Well, i was also a little bit disapointed by the stright port. But to be fair, From Software communicated it months ago: Get a controller. Now i'm playing the game with the resolution fix and my ps3 controller and i have to say it really, really looks amazing and runs pretty stable. However, i have a nvidia card. Ati user maybe experience other circumstances.
  21. Aug 24, 2012
    the game is amazing. amazing enough to get a 9 or 10. the port is crap, but the resolution fix from durante has saved form software from a catastrophe and it may as well make them some money. i have seen plenty of people double dipping just because of this resolution fix. myself included. if thats what it takes to get this game to have good sales, thats fine. maybe we can all hope about a good next game in the series coming to pc. dark souls gets a 10. port gets a 5. Expand
  22. Sep 13, 2012
    Worst port ever made. But an amazing game nonetheless. I bought it on steam and wasn't sure what to expect having never played a "souls" game. Gotta say I love almost everything about it the music, atmosphere, gameplay and how the story unfolds via items, landscapes etc. I really wish I could rate it higher but not being able to use my mouse because it was far to jumpy, if you have a controller buy this fantastic game. Expand
  23. Mar 31, 2013
    Poor console port but the best RPG so far. This is how the RPG should be made, dark and bleak, however the controls can be pain in the ass. In some areas fight is really hard but yet enjoyable. Definitely challenging and absolute must-have for an RPG player.
  24. Sep 4, 2012
    I laugh at all these people complaining about bad textures and poor controls... USE A GAMEPAD! GET THE RESOLUTION MOD! Easy fixes people! Ask yourself a question: If you get to a huge boss that could turn you into hamburger in 1 hit, do you say to yourself "Wow those textures are bad!" or "Ermagerd how do I beat this monstrosity!?". I'm pretty sure you know what the right answer is.
  25. Aug 25, 2012
    Great game, knew it would be a bad port from the start since From can't do PC. And GFWL doesn't bother me since all you need to do is sign in. All the bad reviews are stupid entitled PC gamers.
  26. Aug 25, 2012
    Superb game & decent enough port what are you waiting for buy it now. PC version is way better than the console versions its the definitive version of this superb game. There is a lot of misinformation about this being a poor port its not at all. Its certainly not the best looking game ever made but also with the upscaling graphical mods (check the neogaf forums) now available it looks very good in places & is very well optimised on PC. The higher resolution alone makes it look a lot better than the console but throw in the mods, AF filtering, instant load times, vsync & smooth FPS combine to make it a decent enough technical experience. Its designed around the MS 360 gamepad & wokrs very well with that. KB+mouse is not the best way to play this but still possible. This game has superb atmosphere, art direction, voice acting & creature/work designs. One of the best games ever made & also one of the hardest its not an easy game but also not as challenging as others its more about exploration & making the right choices. GFWL works very well here but most of the time you will not even notice its present apart from the achievements appearing onscreen (you can even disable these notifications if you do not want to break atmosphere). Ignore the BS & hate campaigns against this game its one of the best ever made & just has a unique & superb atmosphere. Only a 3.7GB install as the game is so well optimised & the textures highly compressed. No pointless lengthy FMV here or dialog to waste disc space its so the install size is small but the game world is still pretty large. Expand
  27. Aug 24, 2012
    The game itself is a great RPG, it is however quite difficult - the combat system will get you killed pretty often, the boss fights are tough (assuming you play without reading spoilers), there are also no maps in game and every death puts you back at last checkpoint while also respawning all monsters. Now, keep in mind this is a CONSOLE PORT. It was meant to be a console port and it is a console port. You need a gamepad (I used Razer Onza) to really enjoy the controls. Also make sure to get the Durante's mod that unlock internal buffer size - it's a must have! Out of the box the game looks horribly on 1080p screen, after switching the buffer size to 3840x2160px it's a completely different game! Expand
  28. Jan 23, 2013
    Dark Souls is a great, dark fantasy RPG. It is set in a post-apocalyptic fantasy world, where vile creatures are everywhere and nowhere is safe. The game's atmosphere is very intense, thanks to beautifully-crafted locations and dramatic music that usually plays during boss fights. The flow of the game is sort of semi-linear, meaning that more often than not there is a choice of several locations to do in your own order of preference and in many of those locations there are branching paths, often leading to shortcuts to the previous locations, hence saving you the time in case you wanted to go back. Now of course one of the most defining features of Dark Souls is its high difficulty. However, it is quite unlike most other challenging games out there. The way it is designed, dying is an important part of the game, and hence the words 'Prepare to Die' have to be taken seriously. The players should expect to die frequently, at which point the game simply continues and returns them back to the last bonfire (checkpoint) rested at with all enemies respawned. The trick is not about trying to avoid death altogether, but about picking yourself up and learning from your mistakes. It's a tactical game, because every enemy and every boss requires the right approach, and until you approach them with the correct mindset, they will keep beating you again and again. Admittedly sometimes it can be annoying having to walk big portions of the area to get back to the boss fight, but it is almost always well worth it. Dark Souls is not a button masher. It's not about how fast you can hit the attack button, but more about your timing, patience, concentration, and battle strategy. Its premise is quite simple really - persistence and determination pay off. Initially a lot of the areas and bosses seem impossible, but eventually any challenge can be beaten. There have been times I thought to myself Expand
  29. Aug 25, 2012
    Definitely worth buying if you haven't played it yet. I would recommended getting a a gamepad and using montioninjoy. I emulated one of my ps3 controllers as an xbox controller and it is working flawlessly. I also downloaded a resolution fix to enhance the graphics, still haven't encountered any problems from that. I am using an nvidia card, I heard ATI cards are having some issues with the game. Money well spent 10/10 for me. Expand
  30. Dec 30, 2013
    After what seems like almost 3 years (simply because it actually has been this long by now) its finally dawned on me- I get Dark Souls. I understand enemy placement, items, most of the weapons, the different covenants, the boss fights, the NPC merchants, the layouts of all the areas in the game and even to some extent the "plot" or subplots contained amongst a very vague, shadowy, and ultimately somewhat pointless endeavor by you the player character. So what can I say about my rating for this game then? What is it about this game that has scorned me in such a way that going back and playing now is essentially pointless? Well for starters, the game is a mess. Not only developmentally, but in terms of many other relevant and important things that are simply not brought up. The soundtrack was simply intended for another game, seeing as it only plays during specific boss battles, or for certain areas. The rest of the "sound" is empty, ambient, fleeting and rather dull. The combat system is an acquired taste as well. Seeing as their are literally millions of configurations, item combinations, weapon combinations and armor combinations you could claim its "very amazing that this is all rather non intuitive and impossible for a person who does not have hundreds of hours on hand to figure them all out." Which brings me to my next point. What is the point of Dark Souls? Its core gameplay is fine, rather rudimentary and simple even. It makes sense after the first 10 hours or so and though it takes more time to understand the layouts of some frankly rather "small" areas in which you roam about, its still remains as quite different than most game titles these days. However, as most people have noticed, Dark Souls didn't exactly start any revolutions either. It kept players busy grinding, matchmaking dueling, summoning, and farming all around the mighty souls system itself. The human being deep somewhere in my bones would like to say that self-gratification in a game like Dark Souls comes at a huge cost whenever you die to something you would've needed literally hours of play testing yourself to bypass correctly or to have taken on directly. Which is why its so counter-intuitive really. The entire game based around collecting souls for your multi-purpose leveling solution and currency system completely undone by its own internal simplicity. Dark Souls is a simple game, much like Diablo 2 really or any other dungeon crawler. But even Diablo 2 had more "unique" environments, a better soundtrack for every area of the game, brilliant boss fights, and more memorability in my own opinion. As most know, the areas after Anor Londo are mostly empty, containing much more architectural splendor than meaningful, thought out level design and actual incentive to explore. The areas are by no means "massive" and I've never thought them to be particularly interesting to explore to begin with. Locations like the infamous Blight town are poorly coded, Dukes archives are practically empty, and the sprawling forest area is immensely tedious to wander around without any item incentives. The whole disconnect is there especially with player interaction via GFWL as well. Messages certainly don't matter and carry no real meaning for other players unless its actual advice left for whomever may be in that area. Covenants are distant, expensive, time consuming and don't really reward players as much as they think. Matches are often sparse, buggy, poorly optimized and usually quite lag ridden for both players involved and this isn't really what FROM SOFTWARE expected when they designed the game with consoles in mind. So much effort has to be made to get the game playable on PC that you are better off just not playing it either. Having played PVE for two years off and on- from having now played PVP for close to a year and a half- I can earnestly say.. I don't enjoy the game. It has taken a long time for me to finally come to terms with it, but I really truly recommend that new players simply avoid purchasing this incomplete and tedious action rpg. Dark Souls has not been emulated even once since its inception, which should tell you, what the rest of the western world at least, thinks of games done in this way. It isn't a bad game, but at this point its starting to sound like a bad inside joke among fans. Even Demons Souls fans grow tired of the stigma that is Dark Souls that has wiped out the popularity of its predecessor. Its so bad in fact that fans now speculate the entirety of the lore in the game, without really any reference or understanding beyond what things they see in the game itself. This tells me one of two things, either these people really want to see this amazing game that others don't see, or the other group that is less inclined to play this game as often are more apt to see it for its strengths and weaknesses instead. Just like any other game on the market today. Expand
  31. Sep 25, 2012
    I understand all the criticism surrounding the game and by no means should they be overlooked. Yes playing this game straight out the box without the resolution fix and a 360 controller you are setting yourself up for one major disappointment. My advice, if you don't already own a controller, is to purchase one before playing or avoid the game entirely and save yourself the frustration (although I still don't understand PC gamers reluctance to adopt controllers...I play certain games with a keyboard and mouse and most others with my controllers and I still get the same enjoyable gaming experience with raising my blood pressure levels screaming about silly things as using a controller on a PC). But as for Dark Souls PC - with the resolution fix and my wireless controller and Dark Souls plugged into my HDTV, the game looks phenomenal. I played Demon Soul's on PS3 and this looks infinitely better. I am having a blast with the game. Easily one of 2012 best if you can get past the stumbling blocks Expand
  32. May 28, 2013
    One of the best RPG's and outright best games I have ever played. A hard working modding community has really made this an extremely worthwhile port for the PC. I see a lot of complaints about the clumsy controls or the sloppy porting problems but these issues did not mar the remarkable quality of this game.
  33. Nov 21, 2012
    Since I own both the PC and the PS3 versions of Dark Souls, I can say right off that the PC game is a bad port. The good news is that the game is easily modded to the point that the PC version is light years ahead of the console version. Its far clearer, richer and better to play on. There is even a mouse mod that allows you to control the mouse aspects to your specifications. In other words, the mouse and keyboard system is perfect with the mod. Do a search for Dark Souls Nexus to find it.

The other issue is of its difficulty. Its brutal. Enough said. Its meant to be difficult. Way difficult. But there is no game I know of that gives me more rage and elation than this game. When you die, you loose everything... everything is a gamble, every move has its risks, and the risk is high... This is RPG in its purest form. It requires you to plan, observe battle movements of enemies, choose areas that pose the least amount of risk and collect souls to level up. Retreat means survival and strengthening. Die, and you loose everything you worked for. Its rage inducing, but in the end, I died because I was at fault, not the game. When the risks are high, the exhilaration while being in a battle is beyond any game I have ever played. This game is not for the light hearted. Everywhere you go, there is a sense of dread. You know you can die so easily, but in order to survive, you must play smart. If you love a challenge, then this game is for you. I'm glad I bought the PC version of DS. With the mods, this game is now fixed for the PC and it looks fantastic! I have over 600 games on Steam and this is by far the best game I own. Just remember, when the game beats you down to a pulp, its all your fault. Not the game's. Learn from your mistakes and plan your attacks. This game deserves to be hailed as the best Action based RPG ever made.
  34. Aug 24, 2012
    Bad Pc port and hard controls but still i really enjoy of this game
  35. Sep 3, 2012
    I won't get in-depth with my review as I already have one for the PS3 version of the game, but I will say that Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is the definitive Dark Souls experience assuming you play with a controller. I'm not sure why you wouldn't play with a controller to be honest. I'm first and foremost a PC gamer, and I'm a huge advocate of mouse and keyboard being the superior input method, but this game and even this genre is meant for a controller. Swallow your pride, fellow PC gamers. Yes, certain aspects of the port are of poor quality, but the hacks provided by Durante solves most if not all of the gripes I had personally. The game looks amazing with the resolution hack, there is no FPS slowdown assuming your PC isn't from the stone age, and the new content is great. What more could you ask for? Expand
  36. Aug 25, 2012
    The game is amazing and very, very playable. The graphics/framerate "issue" is not a problem to me.

My only gripe is that you have to use a controller to play the game.
  37. Aug 24, 2012
    It's Dark Souls, on pc and it's a 10. It's an exact port of the best console game/ game of this generation. Seriously ignore the high pitched girlyman resolution/keyboard/mouse/gfwl/consoleportomfgshtuup background whine and just buy an xbox gamepad. I really really wish i could be playing it again for the first time just to experience it with fresh eyes. It has a game world full of weird mystery, memorable characters and some of the most awesome and imaginative bosses and combat ever. It hints where other games crap exposition over you, and a winding twisting design to the levels that really impresses once you understand what is going on.

There is nothing remotely close to this on pc.
  38. Dec 12, 2012
    IFirst of all, i'm aware this is a console port. But it's this gamer's honest opinion that therein lie its beauty. When i played with a gamepad, i sucked. More so than i thought possible. I broke a gamepad trying to get cope with the game's controls. I'm not proud of that. I deleted the game shortly after and forgot all about it. Then, i went through a handful of similar games only to be disappointed by all of them. Something was missing. There still was my yearning for a challenging game. After that, i gave DS another shot. This time, i took upon myself to get accustomed to the keyboard mappings, because i had no gamepad. I think the controls are very accessible and PC friendly. They're not "Default" pc controls, but once you figure out which button does what, you'll find the game more relaxed and easy flowing. Hell, you can even map keys the way you like them. It took some time, roughly 8 hours of non-stop gameplay to see that the game CAN be a chore, but it's also rewarding. That tiny moment of success is worth hundreds, even thousands of "deaths". I'd also like to mention that i feel the game is really FAIR to a player that abides by it's rules. You don't lose items when you die and the souls you lose, you can reclaim if you're smart and determined enough. I just can't believe that i hated it because it make me use my brain! What the hell?! How dare it!? I never needed to think or analyze or even strategize to get through any other games. It was at that moment that i realized that games have been spoonfeeding me for years. That's why YOU will love this game as well. It has a feeling of those old arcade games like GnG. It has a SOUL, if you will. At times, it can be tiresome, it can also be demanding and unforgiving, but in the end, it's well worth the effort you put into it. Expand
  39. Dec 28, 2012
    This is definitely a game for the patient. It is hard, but fair and requires that you LEARN from your mistakes, instead of running in and hoping for the best. The entire area is a potential advantage or disadvantage depending on how you use it, so it requires that you think about what you're going to do before you try to fight. It isn't for everyone, if you like hack and slash, run for the hills, if you want a challenge, dish out the cash and buy Dark Souls. Personally, I like it, it has a good plot if you look for it and the challenge is unrivaled in modern games. I give it a 10 for the pve and pvp challenge.

It is hard. It is challenging. It is fair. No boss is impossible, all bosses have weaknesses or strategies that work to take them down. All you need is a little patience.
  40. Aug 29, 2012
    Love this game to death! Yes you do need a game pad or xbox360 controller for smooth game play but it's worth it(the pc version has more than xbox360 and ps3 version for now). I have never enjoyed getting battered so much in my life. Really not arsed about graphics.. there's a mod to fix that, game play is so hard it's awesomeXD
  41. Nov 1, 2012
    A truly unique gaming experience that will take you through all the motions. At times you will be extremely frustrated, at others, you will be extremely satisfied. This game requires you to switch things up, you can't go in guns blazing. It is very unforgiving, which makes progressing through it extremely satisfying. You will be taught to learn from your mistakes, and taught to take your time. 10x better than garbage being shoveled out by EA and Ubisoft. Definitely must buy this game. Expand
  42. Jan 9, 2013
    This is one of the best Action-RPGs ever released on PC and one of the worst ports ever released on PC. But I give score for quality of game itself, and that's why Dark Souls gets 10. It is just brilliant.
  43. Feb 26, 2013
    OK...I just got this game for the PC after months of indecision and reading mixed reviews. Ultimately, a bad case of boredom and Skyrim OD convinced me to pick it up. Well, wouldn't you know...this has become my current fave action/ rpg. The first thing I did (even before beginning the game) was to head on over to the Dark Souls Nexus and download the DSFix as well as a few other goodies like texture improvements, and some weapon re-skins. Holy crap, it looks and plays awesome! Not one crash (unlike Skyrim every few minutes) after hours of play; runs smoothly at 60fps and the graphic mods make it shine. I am amazed at those whiners who complain about it being a poor PC port; as a PC gamer you never heard of mods? That is why I play PC games more than my PS3...the ability to mod. Seriously, it only took a few minutes to download and install the fixes, and was it ever worth it. This game will kick your sorry butt, even from the beginning. There are often hints and tips from other players lying around the areas, but even if you know the exact method to beat a particular boss, YOU still have to DO IT. Make no mistake, this is a game that requires skill, timing and patience. If you lack any of these qualities, stay away. It can be brutally hard in spots, but never unfair; and when you finally do beat that annoying Black Knight and get his kickass sword it is a reason for celebration. At times, playing as a human I got pwned by another player invading my world. It might be advisable to stay Hollow until you've upgraded yourself, otherwise you might be making a long trek back to the site of your ignominious demise. Finally, a great looking intense action oriented game with a real challenge and lots of customization options. Playing Skyrim after this would be like going back to kindergarten. Praise the Sun! Expand
  44. Sep 13, 2012
    Dark Souls is an amazing experience no true gamer should deny themselves. The game needs to be played with a controller. Period. End. The graphics are outstanding EVEN at the default resolution, but fixes are in place to bump it up even more. Now, the actual game itself. It is one of the most deeply challenging and rewarding game you will ever play. The enemies and environment are devious and deadly at every turn. But, as you progress, you will notice that your skills are increasing because the game demands your attention and demands you master a certain level of skill with the game. You can not hack and slash your way through this game. You will die. You will die even when you are playing the game the way it was meant to be played - with care and attention. Dying is part of the experience and not a failure. It is part of your learning process. The art design is simply outstanding. And the story/lore is also fantastic, but it not spoon fed to you. It requires a certain investment from the player in paying attention to dialogue, the environment, and item descriptions. I could go on for days about how amazing this game is. Better to tell you I have played through the game twice on the PS3, gotten all the trophies, and still I have bought the PC version and am playing through it all again. This is one of those games you can play for years and years. There are so many different ways to play it and the controls are so tight and rewarding, it is just hard to stay away too long. Do yourself a favor and buy this game. It is the best $40 you will ever spend. I hope to see you all in the game for some Jolly Co-operation! Expand
  45. Nov 18, 2012
    Great game, bad port. Issues can be mostly fixed with a community patch, and if you're willing to play with an Xbox or PS3 controller. Get it on sale if you're skeptical.
  46. Aug 29, 2012
    One of the most rewarding Action RPGs you can get. If you're tired of handholding, quest markers, combat where you can't really lose a fight unless you tie your hands behind your back, and generic Tolkien-esque fantasy, then Dark Souls is your game. Many different weapons with different move sets and combos allow you to tailor your combat experience to your style of playing. Stab enemies with a spear while blocking with a shield, or learn how to parry. Dual wield pretty much anything, dual wield shields and bash your enemy's head in. Decide to wield your main weapon with both hands at any time for extra damage (yes, this also works with a shield). Choose from three different types of magic, each with its own mechanics. Explore every nook and cranny and find anything from additional mini-bosses to specific weapons, armor sets, rings, NPCs, short cuts, and so on. All this in a beautifully crafted, very vertical, open but tightly packed world backed by amazing original lore. On top of that, you get a very unique interpretation of multiplayer with many different modes of online play with varying degrees of interaction, from simply seeing the ghosts of other players and blood stains where they die to leaving messages for others, helping them out with hard fights as a phantom, or even invading their games and hunting them down in a number of different ways. The PC adds arena based PVP to all that, and also comes with a load of new content with its own unique style but yet fitting in perfectly with the rest of Dark Souls. This is one of the best Action RPGs of this generation and if you can stand the challenge and can live with eventually meeting a boss you can't beat on the first try, or second try, or twentieth try, this is your game. Expand
  47. Dec 19, 2012
    Best game I have played in years. Playing since release and still going strong. The overall immersion is very satisfying. The difficulty brings me back to the gaming challenges of my youth. I would recommend this game to anyone at any age. I originally pre ordered on PS3, I eventually purchased a the PC version on sale over at Steam. Look for it, buy it.
  48. May 21, 2013
    People are amazed by this game because it gives you the experience a role playing game should actually give you... something 95% of the PC RPGs are truly lacking. Whoever created this game should truly be commended. It is surprising that this game was first offered on the XBOX, being that it appears to be aimed towards an extremely mature audience. In anycase... there it is... the first actual RPG to be offered for the PC. If you wish to get a taste of what Dungeons and Dragons was truly about, try this game. And have some patience with it, the controls take some getting used to (360 gamepad highly recommended) Expand
  49. Sep 7, 2012
    I had been wanting to get this game for a long while, and right when I got it for 360, mine broke. I decided to play it using my 360usb controller and the game was pretty nice. definitely an option for those not willing to toss down a lot of cash for a console
  50. Aug 27, 2012
    Forget the porting problem. It's all fixable... If you can see past the technicall issues you have one of the best games ever made. Download DS fix from Dante and plug in the controller and you will see, that its not that bad of a port if you use this fix and a controller. If you are looking for a challenge and rewarding very good fighting system, then this is the game for you. Bosse's are just amazingly done and the souls concept of the game really adds an interesting gameplay. If you die you're gonna want to get the souls back and you probably will die alot as the title say's :). I love that there are still some deep adult rpg's and not just hack and slash **** Diablo 3 can eat Dark Souls dust... I really urge you not to listen to the whining that it's a bad port. The game itself with the fix and an xbox controller is just amazing. Really recommend it! Expand
  51. Aug 30, 2012
    Waaaaaah, it only renders at 720p! Waaaaaah, the frame rate is locked at 30fps. That's all I see in the negative reviews, both from users and critics. This is one of the great games of the last few years, maybe all time. And, content-wise, this is an AMAZING edition; I've played all the way through the new content, and it is every bit as good as the original content. AND the frame rate is more stable and consistent than it was on the 360/PS3. AND, if you really care about the internal framebuffer resolution, there's already a mod out there that fixes it for you. So maybe you ought to actually play this one before you **** about it, Internet. Expand
  52. Aug 12, 2013
    Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition is an amazing game and possibly one of the most hardest games ever made. You will enjoy the storyline/lore, the simple yet complex gameplay, the unforgiving difficulty, the epic music and the hilarious engine that the game runs on. With the addition of a New Game+ and multiplayer feature, the replay value for this game is simply one of the best seen in a RPG and to top it off you have a reasonable amount of hours that can be placed in the game and it comes with a famous composer's music that will bring more than likely more than nostalgia to some players. The amount you can do with your character, changing their play style, fighting style and amongst other things will keep you coming back again and again especially with a addicting PVP experience. Expand
  53. Jan 27, 2013
    An incredible game that truly challenges the player. I never quite had any problem with graphical issues or FPS but maybe that's because of my custom built computer. The atmosphere was incredible and the entire feel to the game was very dark and depressing. The online part is horrendous to deal with an invader always striking fear in my heart. I love the idea of it of course, it just adds to the dark and depressing atmosphere. Expand
  54. Apr 10, 2013
    There are issues to this port. Google: steam dark souls tweak. It will lead you to a guide which fixes many of hte problems. my graphics improved greatly, and fps improved greatly.

Been gaming since chrono trigger on the Snes. In terms of best single player game, this ties with chrono trigger. In terms of best gameplay in a single player game, this is it. The game is hard, and
    you learn by dying. And it's awesome. You have to pay attention to every fight, or you can die to the smallest creature. The combat is challenging. For the first time, I feel like I'm actually exploring. There is no map, so you have to pay attention to your surroundings.

This is the first single player game I've send more then twenty hours playing in years. Others may be pretty, but theyare boring.
  55. Jun 25, 2013
    I'll keep this short, since it's a simple breakdown.

The game is amazing. It's possibly the most immersive and fluid gem of our generation. Combat is excellent, the art style is sublime, and the story that exists is told through clever hints that allow the player to discover the world on their own, without being spoon-fed. Dark Souls is one of the best games of all time.

Having said
    that, the PC port is just horrible. Optimization is okay, but unreliable at times. Beyond that, mouse and keyboard controls are totally inane, and the resolution is capped at 720p. HOWEVER, there's a simple mod called DSfix that uncaps the framerate and fixes most of the other issues as well. It's a completely essential mod that turns Dark Souls from a bad port into a pretty decent port.

Here's the summary:
    If you plan on using DSfix, get this game for the PC now. It's an epic experience and it comes bundled with amazing DLC.
    If you absolutely will not use DSfix for some reason, you're better off saving yourself the trouble and getting a console version.
  56. Aug 24, 2012
    This game is a direct console port. They didn't even remap the Xbox buttons to interact with things. But that's ok, they still released a PC version by community request. I highly recommend playing this game with a Xbox controller, or a PS3 controller using MotionJoy DS3 Tool to emulate a Xbox controller--this is what I do, and it plays perfectly like the PS3 version. Next thing I recommend is to get the community made resolution fix located here: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=108

The difference is unbelievable, and will make your game look phenomenal.
  57. Aug 2, 2013
    Have to give this a 10 (the PC port doesn't deserve it) just for the bunch of 0 rating dumb morons and kids with a low enough IQ to not be able to play/figure out this game. A lot of people even complain about the game not having a story.... Dark Souls does not have a story... freaking HILARIOUS! It's the ultimate proof the definition of "PC gamers" is now DEAD. (srry guys we are a minority and nearly extincted now) It's just a bunch of stupid sheep most of the time who need to be told where to go and what to do every freaking step of any game.

PC games are rarely skill based nowadays compared to what they were even just 10 years ago.
    Are humans getting dumber?
  58. Dec 30, 2012
    With DSfix and controller it is absolutely amazing game. AI could be smarter, but game is still challenging.
  59. Aug 31, 2012
    THIS IS THE BEST PORT AS IT IS THE MOST STABLE PORT I'VE EVER SEEN. Other games ported to the PC either crashes alot or are very unoptimized.

This is a really great game to come out for the PC and I am very grateful for it! This is also the VERY definition of a direct port, and let me repeat again how stable it is.

The only fault I see for the game is the locking system, which, with
    a little movement changes your lock on an enemy to another. Expand
  60. Sep 3, 2012
    its sad that so many ppl r giving this game a 0. yea the keyboard controls are horrible but i've managed 20 hours on em and then put another 40 with controler (yes i bought 1 just for the game) but that aside this game is simply amazing and depsite all the ppl being buthurt over the controls they shouldnt let that drag down the core of the game
  61. Aug 27, 2012
    Don't let the PC Elitist's complaints keep you from giving Dark Souls a try. I've reviewed it before, and my opinion remains the same; It's one of the best games that have come out in the past few years and console-level graphics and low resolution textures can't take that from it. The PC gamers aren't being treated any worse than the console users, and they shouldn't be giving this game negative reviews because they expected their high performance computers to be forced to work at their full potentials. It's been called a lazy port, and that's understandable, but it wasn't just a port; it came with new content that the rest of us won't see for two months. From Software is not a PC developer, and they did what they could to appease the masses. Does no one realize that they would have had to recreate all the animations in the game from the ground up to run at 60 fps? Dark Souls wasn't designed for PC and it's optimized for running at 30 fps. If From Software had rebuilt the game for PC optimization, it would have taken months or years to be released. I guarantee that all of the negative reviews are due to complaints about the keyboard and mouse controls and the "bad port." Both are irrelevant to the quality of Dark Souls. Give it a shot or wait until it's released on October 26 on Xbox 360 and PS3, but don't give it a negative review without putting more thought into what went into making the game. Expand
  62. Sep 30, 2012
    In my opinion the game is just excellent! 10 out of 10! But there are flaws ... PC Controls!

Why? Here's the answer:
    1. This is an RPG with a purely Japanese approach to game development, that is, "It's not like everyone else!" You start playing and you realize that you do not understand anything! Game haven't any training, you learn all game aspects yourself! For me this is a huge
    plus, because i tired of the games, in which devs lead you by the hand, press x to win, etc. This is too simple...
    2. Beautiful design of locations, great gameplay (and even hardcore, which makes "you perspiring"), awesome and wonderful bosses and enemies, the attractive atmosphere, unusual RPG elements and moar everything!

I really loved this game! Sorry for bad English, I'm Russian. Thanks for reading my review)
    Be ware haters)))
  63. Aug 28, 2012
    Game of the decade.

The port isn't bad per se, rather, it's a 1:1 conversion from the console version but it requires a gamepad. Resolution-lock can be easily disabled, and the resulting upscale shows a game which looks better than the likes of Skyrim and Mass Effect, despite being made on a far smaller budget and originally developed for consoles, not PC.

As for the game itself,
    tight combat, immense replay value, deep gameplay mechanics, once again, best game of the past 10 years. Expand
  64. Dec 27, 2012
    I believe that the official reviewers should have given the game reduced scores for the poor port: controls and graphics, but I bought a controller, used the patch and this game is amazing.
  65. May 30, 2014
    Stick with it if you get a bit frustrated!

This game is the most original and inspirational action RPG I've ever played. I love it. It gives you everything. But can be daunting for people new to the game. Please stick with it - it is rewarding and fun. Use the Wikis for it if you get stuck - there are three very good ones. But most importantly don't let yourself be put off by
    frustration, especially that born of the PvP and being invaded early in the game.

Cheating by PvP'ers who invade is a toxic problem, (And this isn't people who twink gear down to lower levels which although it is insurmountable for new players [and is thus in and of itself frustrating] it isn't actually cheating). The problem is that people can fix their game so they have high resists, high health, high damage, and more. . . http://www.usgamer.net/articles/cheating-more-than-death-in-dark-souls.

The game is great - but if you are just getting into it - just be mindful of the state of Cheat Engine usage - and disable (with firewall rules) GFWL till you get more comfortable with the game and it's mechanics. The sure fire method of enjoying the game is to simply Alt F4 when you are told you are being invaded, (read the Wiki to know when NPCs are invading as you will want to fight them). Then once you are backing up your save games, (called save scumming), and are comfortable with the game, then give PvP a try if you are invaded - But expect to encounter someone who has a frozen health bar, or unlimited stamina, or a weapon that reduces your stats to 25% and teleports you to Anor Londo, (see the article), or some other impossible ability - And expect them every third person who invades.
  66. Nov 4, 2012
    Now before you read this, I must say that this game is a HORRENDOUS port. Of course, every single problem can be fixed, every single one, except it won't show the keyboard and mouse controls. The only game that is a worse port is RE4.

If you want to play this game, downloading the fan made patch is required, but its like 5kb, if your too lazy to DL it, then you won't like the pace of
    Dark Souls anyhow. And NO, the keyboard and mouse controls are entirely playable if you rebind the menu button to esc (which you can do ingame) and activate the mouse fix that fixs the inverted mouse acceleration. There, game is fixed for PC, if you don't like the textures, theres a fix for that too. Now onto the game review. This game is magnificant. The game has amazingly good level design. Weapons are amazingly balanced and the only thing that is useless is ranged, (cept magic) but if ranged was powerful, it would likely make the game worse anyway (no way it could be fun in dark souls).

The game is very rarely cheap, the only part of the game I would call cheap would be the two **** knight archers in Anor Londo. The game is extremely skill based BUT it also requires you to pay attention. Every single trap is predictable before hand (except the one in the tutorial level, that does very low damage and is designed to show you this game has enviromental traps). Even the infamous dragon on the bridge. The bridge is charred, there was a dragon earlier, and there is burned corpes all over the bridge, IT DOES WARN YOU.

The game does not have great graphics, but its art style is amazing, every level looks different and unique. And is designed in very different ways. Blighttown is a small town built on the side of a giant underground cave, with a poisoness bog at the bottom. Anor Londo is a bright but empty (as in lonely, it has packed areas as well) city. Sens Fortress is a Indiana Jones style fort of deadly traps. The games framerate is bareable, if you can handle 30fps. Using my crappy gtx 240, I get only a few frame drops, with constant drops in Blighttown (which it is infamous for) and the rickety bridge into New Londo Ruins (which is covered in smoke effects, which explains the lag, theres no enemies here anyway, so it aint game breaking). The difficulty is perfect, relying on skill and tactics more then brute force. Yes, memory helps, but you can figure out what enemies attacks are before they even do it by what their tell (all enemies have tells) is on the attack, which often reveals it. The game also isn't unfairly hard at points, always challenging, but never dickish. Music is amazing, however often not playing. Only the main bonfire at firelink shrine and boss fights have music, but every boss fight has a unique song you will never here anyway else, and the final bosses song is so fantastic. It contrasts all other boss fight's music and is fantasticly well done. Voice acting is great, surprisingly since there is multiple grammar mistakes, but never in dialogue and never at an unreadable level. All characters are unique and have a purpose, and all seem slightly insane. (always with the laughing)

PVP is a disappointment, not because of the system it uses, but because I'm Australian, its very hard to enter a session. After 25 hours of being human total, I got invaded once, and that was a hotspot I was in for many hours. Controls are precise, although the delay for sprinting is annoying. PC controls are entirely playable if you spend 5 minutes fine tuning it and downloading the mouse patch. 360 controls are reccomended however, even if the controls are entirely playable with KB&M (If you want proof they are playable, look at Rainicorn's old twitch series, where she beat the entire game and half at SL1 (which is VERY hard and requires lots of precision) all using mouse and keyboard with auto lock on broken (yeah, don't use it without gamepad).

People say there is no story. DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM. The game has a massive amount of lore, but its hidden, 99% of it is in item descriptions. But it is very very confusing and difficult to piece together. I wouldn't reccomend trying to figure out everything.

All round the best action RPG I have ever played, blowing skyrim out of the water. And one of the best games I have ever played as well.
  67. Aug 24, 2012
    LOL at those giving it a bad score just because you suck at it. Ungrateful PC players trashing a game that the DEVELOPERS THEMSELVES already said that they weren't fully developing for PC. It's a decent to bad port, but plays just like on console with a Xbox Controller. Areas where frames used to drop don't drop anymore (Blighttown, Demon's Ruins),

Just because you're bad at the game,
    and because it isn't shiny, don't whine. Ungrateful PC players :) as usual. Go play Battlefield 3 or Skyrim (easy games that hold your hand and have a no-need-to-think gameplay). You weren't even supossed to get this game. Ever. Now I hope next time you don't get nothing at all. Whine some more. Expand
  68. Sep 6, 2012
    Even though this is a poorly optimized port with brutal keyboard and mouse controls, a capped low resolution, and only two graphical options for pc gamers to tweak on/off (motion blur and anti-aliasing). Dark Souls is still one of the most incredible games of this generation, if you can handle the brutal difficulty. The thing I appreciate about this game is the uniquely old-school design of this game. Your dropped in the middle of a harrowing yet utterly beautiful world and have to fend off horrible and extremely creative beasts with amazing controls (if you're using a gamepad) that are not to complicated to learn but really engaging and rewarding in use. It's an open world is designed so expertly that you dont even need a map. You're always unlocking new shortcuts which makes the world very intertwined and easy to navigate. One of the best games I have ever played. Expand
  69. Aug 24, 2012
    This is exactly what we were promised. If you are disappointed, then that is your fault. The game looks and basically plays the same as it did on the 10 year old console hardware that it was originally developed for. Of course it doesn't look like a new state of the art PC game. Also, if you came into this thinking that you were going to play on a keyboard, and are now complaining about the controls...you're an idiot, straight up. Did you know/read nothing about this game before purchasing it? Thanks to From-Software for listening to it's consumers and actually releasing this. Expand
  70. Aug 26, 2012
    For some games like Ghost Recon Future Soldier or Prototype 2 I was complaining about crappy-ass port, but not for this game!People asked developers for port despite the developers have not much experience on pc programing I just want to play this game on my PC so far the experience and atmosphere is great
  71. Aug 3, 2013
    While I did have major gripes about the PC version earlier they proved to be easily fixed with DSfix. Even with the problems this port has I still feel it deserves the highest praise just because the game is so incredible. The two warnings I have are that the game is very bad at explaining itself I didn't know what poise was, for example, a major facet of the game, and you have to look it up to learn. The other is that it exists to fill a very specific niche. If it fills that for you, then there is no finer game this generation. The game is a game of skill, not luck while it is renowned for its difficulty once you learn the ins and outs of combat it quickly becomes much better, though still challenging. For a game ported straight from consoles it looks wonderful. The boss battles are tense and exciting and will often destroy you, but even then are still fun. with the flaws it has I feel that it excels at everything it does and deserves incredible praise. I could go on about how incredible Dark Souls is, but the basis is, you should play this game. It deserves it and so do you. Expand
  72. Aug 27, 2012
    Great game, I knew it had potential from articles, but once i sat down and actually played it, it blew me away.
    The graphics is awesome, these guys really understand what immersion is. Its not about high res textures (which they have), but how well you hide them to look deep and gloomy.

The gameplay hats off, even not as user friendly as Darksiders it has depth and allows more room for
    user skill. So many good ideas in one basket. This is a masterpiece. It deserves a shrine Expand
  73. Aug 27, 2012
    Once you've installed the fixes made my the community members, this game is a true jewel. If possible, you might want to play with a gamepad for your own comfort, although mouse and keyboard is also a viable option. The game itself has a rich atmosphere, interesting NPCs, glorious combat which is very realistic and rewarding. This is a MUST BUY for any gamer out there.
  74. Sep 9, 2012
    The game itself is marvelous, deep background story and some gameplay mechanics based on the player's skills. The only condition to fully enjoy it is to own a controller. I can't really blame the developpers tho since K+M isn't a good setting for that kind of games, and the Dark Souls hasn't initialy been built with the possibilty of a PC port.
    Hopefully we'll see the Armored Core series
    coming to PC. Expand
  75. Aug 24, 2012
    Its strange that this game was release in only 720p, a shame really.... don't let that discourage you though.
    you see this game is still just as amazing as before and the new content is every bit completely worth it! although im obviously not going to spoil that.
    Let me add that there is a patch that puts this game into 1080p and i have to say the game looks amazing now that Ive applied
    this patch hopefully the developers will release it as an official patch now that its been created. Expand
  76. Aug 24, 2012
    This game is not a great port, but it's not a terrible one either. Despite what some people would have you believe, you don't have to have a controller to play this PC game. Having analogue sticks would certainly make controlling a bit more precise, but I've had no problems playing with keyboard alone. The default config is working fine for me, but the keys are completely remappable in-game, so there's really no excuses to complain about the controls. It's true that the in-game prompts don't display the keyboard keys, but if you can't even be bothered to read the manual and see what the controls are before playing a game you're not qualified to write a review for it in my opinion. Despite the minor issues I feel this game is fully deserving of a 10/10 based on the gameplay alone. This is the sort of thing all games should aspire to be. Expand
  77. Oct 28, 2012
    at all the guys who give this game a "ZERO" cause of controlls. read a review and if u guys have an xbox 360 or ps3 than why u dont buy it for them? or use ur xbox controller or ps3 controller for ur pc? This Game never deserves a ZERO.
  78. Mar 29, 2014
    Port issues and me being late to the online party this was supposed to be... apart, this game is what many games should strive to be. The game is a real challenge, as you may have heard, since it's pretty much its selling point, but even if it's so hard I think it still manages to do so being absolutely fair, with a good mix of trial and error and literally testing your reflexes (unless you are not dodging). But oh, is this game so much more. Save for a few forgettable exceptions, the intro and the endings, this game is a constant stream of gameplay never interrupted, that doesn't "tell" you any story, but rather makes it happen as you exist in its world, at times so indirectly that you may miss parts of it! It has solid theming: the duality of life and death contained in the element of fire, recurring throughout the game as a source of both of those things. Atmosphere and graphics: well crafted and beautiful, almonst inseparable from the setting itself for how well they are integrated. As for the gameplay itself, I don't think I'm able to explain very well the genre other than saying it's an action RPG, but here's some things that are damn worth mentioning: farming doesn't make the game easy; farming is still a challenge and therefore shouldn't even be called like that, apart from some of the initial weapons no gear in this game is "useless" or just for the early game; almost literally everything is viable in PvE (in PvP I can't really tell, I'm pretty sure it's at least better than any other overcentralized metagame given the variety I've seen, but certainly not everything is recommended) thanks to the scaling and upgrading system, thus avoiding that typical rpg situation in which you keep dropping useless things with a grey name that don't help neither for vendors nor immersion and no one likes to see in their inventory; every type of weapon is a different playstyle and there's tons of space for customization (see viability)! Add to all of this incredible package a gimmicky, original online mode that will keep you connected to the internet without actually using it except at random intervals to make the player sessions interact with each other to either help (through warning messages you can leave on the ground, summoning players for cooperation) or for added difficulty, in the case of being "invaded" by a player that will hunt you down for a reward. It's just amazing on so many levels that, as you can see, the only way to say how good it is is to actually say what the game is! Talk about self explanatory. Expand
  79. Feb 7, 2014
    Nb: I'm using the fan patch, and 25hrs in (about 40% though)
    I've experienced no technical problems, no crashes (despite frequently tabbing out), 1680/1050.
    I find this game perfectly fine to play with keyboard+mouse, though it takes a little getting used to at first.
    I've enjoyed this game immensely so far, it feels very deliberately crafted and smartly made, for instance, a new player
    will have to stumble through the world essentially following the developer's intended path and rate of progression, overcoming increasing obsticles while they become stronger and more experienced.
    Whereas familiar players can (deliberately) skip swaths of areas and obtain powerful items very early if they wish.
    in addition, experienced (or researched) players can also take advantage of the crafting system and multiple new-game+ modes.
    Despite being told the contrary, I have not found this to be a difficult game, it is instead a very punishing game. If you play recklessly and make a mistake, you will be punished for it, but if you play smart, you can easily defeat anything this game puts in your path.
    The best comparison I have experienced is WoW Heroic raiding where there is very little room for error and a single mistake can cause your death (and often wipe the raid).
    Some people mention the old-school Shinobi in reference to difficulty, which doesn't really do Dark Souls justice, as where old games required lightning reflexes to overcome, the deliberate unbreakable animation system in dark souls (which some refer to as unresponsive and clunky) allows for more leniency in response times,
    ie. if you dodge or block, the enemy will be stuck in that animation for the duration, during which you can safely strike back (and the same applies when you fail an attack)
    because of this, the game is not restricted to 'twitch' players, which in turn makes it perhaps one of the more 'open' games, though not quite 'turn-based'.
    A healthy grandmother/father would likely have no more trouble at playing this game than anyone else.
    I've heard this game was buggy upon launch, all I can say to that is get the fan patch which will make it perfectly fine.
    At this point I can think of no reason not at least try playing Dark Souls.
  80. Aug 24, 2012
    Well, us PC gamers asked for it and we got it. Dark Souls - Prepare to Die is just as fun as the original console game, with the added bonus of several hours worth of new content. However, it's dragged down somewhat by quality of the port. Granted, this is the first ever PC port From Soft has attempted, so they ported it with the intention that it was to be played with a PC gamepad. Keyboard and mouse controls are kind of clumsy, but still tolerable. Expand
  81. Jan 10, 2013
    After playing more casual games this is total a breath of fresh air when compared to lesser rpg's (Skyrim comes to mind), Dark souls really rewards you for skill and intelligence and severely punishes you for stupidity. The combat is great and with a controller at least, the controls are good, while difficulty of the enemies only serves to add to the sense of satisfaction when you defeat them. Overall a great game albeit with some PC porting issues but that's nothing mods can't fix. Expand
  82. Aug 31, 2012
    This game is AMAZING. It is really challenging, it is strategic, it is interesting and it is a really bad port of one of my favorite games on the PS3.
    But I don´t want to give this game a bad rating because it is that good. You really only can play this game with a gamepad for starters, so if you already got the console version stay away from the PC release.
    Graphics aren´t
    any better then the PS3 version and Games for Windows live is annoying.
    However if you don´t own a console then my dear PC-User you should get this game right away, I am not joking, I was blown away by this game from the start where I just kept on dying to the end where Gargoyles feared my appearance to the amazing PVP System in this game that it made me quickly forget about how sloppy the port actually is.
  83. Sep 23, 2012
    My personal GOTY. Nice difficulty curve about timing/positioning instead of traditionnal more hp difficulty.
    Multiplayer is really magic with thoses stranges messages everywhere and thoses player's ghosts who plays same game than us.
    PC port is bad but thanks to PC community, Durante made a fix for it. Best 2012 Game
  84. Aug 25, 2012
    Hopefully devs and publishers clue into the notion that they hold the power to shape the attitudes of their consumers, with that they need to put a disclaimer with the advertising and sales of their games that they are designed for game pads - a simple "Optimized for Game Pad" do you agree before clicking to purchase would bring a stop to all these numpties who refuse to buy a game pad for what ever principled and or stubborn idea they have around remaining elite (non console).

PC gaming allows for the best of both worlds - yet there are so many small minded whingers in the community it is disgusting!! Don't you non game pad whingers see we on PC would not have half the games we have in our current library from last 5 years without console gaming feeding it.

Dark Souls is a solid port that when played with a game pad (as it was optimized for) is a better experience than the console counterparts had served to them.
  85. Sep 5, 2012
    One of the best games of this decade. This port has a few flaws however: GFWL, Xbox controller is a MUST and the multiplayer is often bugged but the game itself is so close to perfection it still deserves 10/10
  86. Jan 5, 2013
    Beautiful, addictive, reminds a little me of Gauntlet Dark Legacy back on the Gamecube. It's honestly not that difficult, especially if you make good use of the wiki. My only complaint is that it could use a more heroic soundtrack. I think they were going for a dark horror feel, and it is there but it's not whats enjoyably about the game. Something closer to Shadow of the Colossus' soundtrack might have been more appropriate. Expand
  87. Aug 31, 2012
    In general, it's a very lazy port never meant for PC. The game was programmed in such a way that changing the FPS from 30 to anything else is impossible, and changing the native resolution of the game is impossible as well without a mod. The controls for keyboard and mouse are terrible, and you'll need to use a gamepad (I'm not sure if anything aside from the Xbox 360 wired gamepad will work, but I'd assume that's the case). This uses two layers of DRM if you bought it from Steam. Games for Windows Live (GFWL) and Steam's built-in DRM both are potential hindrances to playing, but so far have not been too much of a problem. The game retails for $40, which is on par, if not somewhat slightly above the average price of a PC game.

The in-game graphics range from pathetic to tolerable, depending on whether or not you have the hi-resolution mod installed. The mod that changes the resolution doesn't also increase the size or clarity of textures, doesn't increase the fidelity of models, and doesn't add better AA. Hell, if it did that, the game might have an even lower FPS.

The game this is a port of is fantastic for it's medium, which is a console six or seven years behind the curve. The development process for this game is laughable at best, as some of the problems that prevented the port from being amazing stemmed from incredibly lazy design choices. For instance, frame-based movement (ex: having a character move a fixed amount per frame, regardless of speed) prevented the game from running higher than 30 FPS. Designing the game's art assets at a low resolution instead of designing high-quality assets and then scaling them down is to blame for the horrid texture quality.

Dark Souls for the Xbox 360 and PS3 are both fantastic games, and this is as well, even if it is plagued by a coupled of PC port-related issues.
  88. Sep 7, 2012
    Dark Souls lives up to its predecessor, and the PC version, despite being poorly optimized, is no exception. This game has tense combat, challenging exploration, stunning graphics, and a minimal but well crafted story that encourages the player to fill in the blanks. But when you reach a boss, you bloody well know it!!
    I dare you to play this game!!
  89. Aug 27, 2012
    DO NOT listen to people complaining about graphics being sub par. There was a graphics 'patch' form a 3rd party 23 minutes after the game was released. Some googling can find it in less than a minute, these people who are complaining about graphics should stop writing reviews if they can't use google to find the patch. Just like the other Souls game, this one is amazing. The new content is challenging, and the new zones are quite large and have lots of items to scavenge. Upon completion, just like the other Souls games, it leaves you wanting more. The Prepare to Die edition now also comes with 1v1, 2v2, and 4 player FFA deathmatch style arenas. It may force you to use games for windows live, which I thought was going to be a downside, but it really isn't that bad. Don't let that be a breaking point on your decision.

The resolution + frame rate fix can be found by googling "metaclassofnilblog" and downloading the files. It is fully explained how to install it in the readme, and it is literally as simple as dragging and dropping 2 files, no overwriting files either. If the other people reviewing this game can't manage that, they shouldn't be reviewing games on this site.
  90. Aug 30, 2012
    One of my recent favourites. I bought this when it came out on the PS3 and I could not wait to get this edition.
    A lot of the frame rate issues were fixed, content was added, PvP was improved-- overall, for 40$ this is a steal.
  91. Aug 31, 2012
    It takes some time to get used to the controls and u HAVE to dl the fan made patch, but after all this is done u gonna have the best time in a (finally, wake up bioware ffs!) well crafted RPG. As a hardcore RPG(er?) dating back to Baldur's gate and PS:T i can honestly say that this is one of the best RPG's i played in a loong time.. (including ME123 DA12 Witcher2 )
    If u really like this
    style u wont let a crappy control thingy get in ur way. and btw for those who have a hard time with the keyboard (after much bashing): esc = menu navigate= page up / down enter = space going back = backspace more info = ins and del. happy Titanite hunting! Expand
  92. Jul 28, 2013
    Dark Souls is hard but Dark Souls is highly rewarding. It is long and it is deep, full of lore and secret and there is something to be said of this game’s atmosphere too: Dark and warm at the same time. It has also a lot of replayability. I could praise this game forever.

The fighting systems appear simple at first but when you start to dig it has a depth few games have. The character
    development is also outstanding. Everything has its use and it change the way you play along with the tone of weapons that have their original move sets.

It is a bless that this game came to the PC.

The resolution is locked in the vanilla version but you can mod it in 5 min and after that the experience is perfect. The 30 fps limit is not a problem with this kind of game if your computer can keep it constant.
  93. Jul 12, 2013
    This is an EXCELLENT game after applying the DSFix mod. Why do I like it SO much? It's a hard game. You just can not start running and hacking and get anywhere at all. This game is just the perfect amount of hard to frustrate me, make me stop and think of how to beat this new boss or area. I may ponder that problem for a few hours to a few days, then try again. I LOVE that about this game.
  94. Sep 26, 2012
    When I first got this game, I was so frustrated by the camera and the lack of easily understandable computer controls. For some reason I kept cracking at it and found the diamond underneath. The good points of the game are that it is punishing and the world usually presents you with multiple unbeatable situations. The reward of leveling up and hanging onto dear life when fighting large bosses is a rush. The game provokes you on to the eventual victory achieved. The bad is the camera is shaky but you get used to it with the locking on feature. The controls were literally the hardest part of the game and take alot of online research to understand them. All and all a real masterpiece once you get by the orginal frustrations. And whatever you do not kill any of the talking npc's (especially weapon smiths) they DO NOT come back which can cripple your progress in the game. Expand
  95. Aug 24, 2012
    Due to the bad port, I'd give this 8/10. However, adding the graphical mod and using a controller make both of my main issues with the game a non-issue. Since there are people out there giving 0's I am making this a 10.

Assuming you are playing with a controller (first time I've ever hooked my xbox controller up to my PC but totally worth it)
    -The controls feel great.
    -The graphics
    are good once modded.
    -The gameplay is solid, not once did I die and think, "Well that was unfair."
    -Combat has weight and strategy.
    -The world is dark medieval fantasy at its best.
    -Boss fights are grand, epic, challenging, and rewarding once taken down.
    -Armor is interesting.
    -Weapons look neat and feel distinct.
    -Difficulty is just right.
    -Death is an expected teaching mechanic. -You are punished for making bad decisions but through those decisions you come up with new ideas. -This game punishes you with death for making bad decisions but it rewards you for playing smart.
    -Each encounter is consistent, deliberate, and gives the player plenty of opportunity to make the right decisions.

At the end of the day, Dark Souls delivers the same experience as consoles but with some extra content, a faster framerate, cheaper price point, and the potential to pickup a mod for higher resolution textures.

Play this with a USB controller, my xbox controller had no issues syncing up for this game. I highly recommend people play this game on any system they can get their hands on. Just make sure your have a controller if you get the PC version.
  96. Aug 24, 2012
    For all the users that are complaining about Keyboard and Mouse not working ideally for this game, let me lay this on you for a second, because this is how you guys sound:

You have a box of nails you want to hammer into the wall. (Dark Souls) You have measuring tape. It has a flat side. (Keyboard)
    You don't have a hammer. (Gamepad)
    Instead of going out and buying a hammer to hammer in
    the nails, you start hammering nails with THE MEASURING TAPE.
    You then start complaining "Holy crap these nails suck. They don't work well with the measuring tape. This is so difficult!"
    "Screw nails! Nails are terrible! I'm gonna write a review about how bad these nails are because they dont get hit into the wall well with my MEASURING TAPE."

The reasons you guys don't have hammers, is probably because you're either broke, or you're lazy, or you have some personal vendetta towards hammers. BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NAILS. It's not the nails' fault you are too lazy, broke, or have developed some deep racism towards hammers. That's on you! The nail is made for hammers! Hammer it in with a hammer and stop complaining!

So really you guys giving it a 0 for not playing perfectly with keyboard is really unfair. I can give maybe half a point for it not matching up with the keyboard controls and using xbox icons, but that's about it really. It's made to be played with a gamepad. So play it with one, and stop giving this game a low score because of your own personal issues with gamepads.

----------------------------

Dark Souls is a console port. From Software said that. They made it very clear when the game was coming out. "This is mostly a console port. No surprises!" That means the game is structured from the bottom up in a console fashion. Why would it be so different from what was promised? So that means, you run it with a console controller, it plays at a console resolution with a console speed, with hopefully better console performance. That's what was promised, and that's what From Software delivered. I personally don't see anything wrong with that. PC Fans requested a game that was console exclusive and got it on their platform. It works! It's non buggy! It looks like the console version! It's just as great as it originally was (Fantastic and amazing game!) What else is there to say? It's a great game. I love it. The graphics are amazing, the frame rate is BETTER than console. The story is incredible, the gameplay is on point and very responsive. The game isn't choppy or has hiccups, or anything like that. Game plays smooth like butter at 30 FPS. Honestly, it plays better than most PC games I've messed with lately with twice the frame rate.

Plus Durante modded it recently to increase the resolution past the initial renderer limit, so that's just the icing on the cake. This is a great game and I'm glad this game is finally on PC!
  97. Aug 24, 2012
    Great game, not a great port but the PC community will come with mods and high res packs. its way cheaper than console, DLC comes for free, runs better and there is already a mod to fix resolution and textures day one, you can't go wrong.
  98. Aug 25, 2012
    This game is great, graphics problems already solved with 3 hotfixes and controls with keyboard/mouse are OK, it just takes little time to get used, so i dont regret for the money ive spend.
  99. Aug 25, 2012
    The atmosphere of this game is amazing, with a minimalistic plot everything in the world is excessively dark. I can't imagine Dark Souls being less difficult, unforgiving, it teaches you that life is more suffering than pleasure, more failure than success. But if you are persistent enough you will be awarded with a pure sense of jubilation. Nothing else in gaming compares to this experience.
  100. Aug 25, 2012
    i dont understand people which rate this game low due to worst keyboard mouse control ever. It suck and it is fact. Bad graphics? Not the edge of technology but playable. I tell you Mount and Blade is bad graphics not this one. The main thing is that there are no glitches freezes and so on what usually people call bad port. it works fine. It is great game indeed. And be honest - you low rate this game not cause of port, you do it cause you dont like it overall :) but as always this game doesnt care Expand

The irony is that the PC version could have been much better than the PS3/360 ones, with higher resolutions to make the textures look better, a cornucopia of mods and/or an active (in theory at least) community. But FROM ruined it all (with the assistance of Games for Windows Live). It’s a shame really, if we at least had just a decent port (or a better infrastructure for a less appalling multiplayer mode), Dark Souls could have been one of the best RPG for the PC. [November 2012]
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    Not often do you see a game that is equally rewarding as it is frustrating; and it's not because the game is unfair.
    Dark Souls returns the hardcore elements back to action RPGs – heavy focus on uncompromising fight mechanics and absolute freedom in hero profiling. The price of this game is not for everyone. [Oct 2012]