7.4

1. Jan 30, 2016
    Dark Souls..
    First of all : Use a controller. And if you want to, use some mods.
    After that.. just enjoy. Enjoy, die, enjoy, die and enjoy again. You can go through the game without reading anything, without searching anything. And you'll play the ending cinematic , thinking : "What the **** happened there? This is the worst story ever blblblbl" and you know what? You'll still enjoy
    Dark Souls..
    First of all : Use a controller. And if you want to, use some mods.
    After that.. just enjoy. Enjoy, die, enjoy, die and enjoy again.

You can go through the game without reading anything, without searching anything. And you'll play the ending cinematic , thinking : "What the **** happened there? This is the worst story ever blblblbl" and you know what? You'll still enjoy the game.
    But.. you can explore everything and learn about one of the best story ever created in the history of video game. This game is simply beautiful, touching and incredibly deep. You'll have question, you won't understand everything and you'll make theory and search in the internet.. some people will have a different theory and you'll read.. read again, searching for more. And you'll discover the wonderful truth. You will never understand everything and be 100% sure. But you'll search again.
    This game is challenging, yeah. But it's fair. You can avoid 90% of it's difficulty by looking for clue or way to kill a boss.
    I don't recommend this game if you don't like a start without any clue about what's going on. I don't recommend this game if you need a game that hold your hand all way long.
    This game look at you and challenge you. You want to enjoy it ? You will have to deserve it before!

You can think that this game hate you. And you will love it for that.
    But at some points, you'll understand that this game love you and all of the game community. And you will love it even more for that.

This, is for me one of the best game ever.. if not the best game ever. This is an experience. This is an adventure. This is a tale. This is Dark Souls.
  2. Jan 23, 2016
    First thing to say is that DSfix and a controller are pretty much a necessity for this game considering how much of a shoddy port it is. Without this mod and with kb/m, I probably would've rated my Dark Souls experience a 5/10 at best. Even with the fix in place, there are a couple graphical issues such as screen tearing, and performance can become unbearably bad in some segments even withFirst thing to say is that DSfix and a controller are pretty much a necessity for this game considering how much of a shoddy port it is. Without this mod and with kb/m, I probably would've rated my Dark Souls experience a 5/10 at best. Even with the fix in place, there are a couple graphical issues such as screen tearing, and performance can become unbearably bad in some segments even with high-end hardware (Seath the Scaleless boss battle comes to mind). Fortunately, these instances aren't commonplace and I was able to maintain 60fps most of the time.

With regards to the presentation of the game, I thought the visuals and sound quality were unremarkable, even by 2011 standards. The level design was for the most part quite good, and I did like how interconnected the various areas of the game were. Many reviewers seem to praise the hidden backstory of Dark Souls as if it's some superior form of storytelling. While I do find the idea innovative in a sense, I do wish that the overarching story could be a little more cohesive and less up to interpretation. At best, the player finds small, disconnected snippets of lore from which the wider Dark Souls community have made vast extrapolations in order to produce some semblance of a timeline of events. I'm willing to bet that for most players, had they not consulted a wiki or accessed an online synopsis, they would've been quite lost in terms of the story, and wouldn't know that areas such as the Great Hollow or Ash Lake existed. My point is, while the plot that is deemed 'correct' by online consensus is a decent one, its delivery is too inaccessible.

The gameplay mechanics are generally pretty solid. Combat system is decent, and there are some exploration and RPG elements. My complaints in this area include the lack of explanation of several mechanics such as rolling speeds, having longer/shorter parrying windows for particular shields, effect of humanity on item discovery and resistances etc. Enemy AI pathfinding also isn't very good, as seen when enemies roll off cliffs or get stuck walking up staircases. There are also a few enemies and bosses that felt 'cheap' in their design, usually due to forcing the camera into awkward angles in enclosed and narrow spaces (eg: Capra Demon, Centipede Demon). The difficulty is something that is often praised though I'm also not sure why this is so. While I don't object to hard games, it's not something I'll give free brownie points for. The game was challenging but not overly so. Like I said, some instances felt cheap, but otherwise with enough patience every obstacle in Dark Souls can be overcome.

Overall rating - 7.1/10
  3. Jan 18, 2016
    This game is known for being hard. It isn't hard because it's a well made, challenging game. It's hard because the camera is game-breakingly awful, the enemies will awkwardly slide around at times while tracking you with attacks rather than animating movement (Or standing still like you have to), and they forgot to add any character motivation. The entire reason for literally everythingThis game is known for being hard. It isn't hard because it's a well made, challenging game. It's hard because the camera is game-breakingly awful, the enemies will awkwardly slide around at times while tracking you with attacks rather than animating movement (Or standing still like you have to), and they forgot to add any character motivation. The entire reason for literally everything you do is a guy says his family told him undead should go to this place. So... you do. Even though you must fight legions of monsters to do so. Because some dying guy mentioned it.

Don't believe the hype, this game is poorly made, it's lazy, enemies attack through walls that instantly stop your attacks if you're even near. Save your money and don't buy into the hype. It's not worth it, and it's not the difficulty. It's just poorly made.
  4. Jan 13, 2016
    Пробовал раньше играть в ДС1 раз пять, все не шло: то графика отстой, то управление кривое, то сюжета мало.. Но отдохнув от ДС2 (два прохождения) несколько месяцев, возникло вдруг желание увлечься в какую-нибудь вселенную, посмотреть миры, посравнивать циферки в оружии. И тут же ждет неначатый дарк! Уже и управление нормальное, и графика ниче вроде :-)
    И побрел я по просторам мира,
    И побрел я по просторам мира, совершенно ничего не знаю об этой игре, круша врагов и спасая невинных, проходить вслепую за мага. Очень хорошо, что сделали более живой мир - НПС перемещаются, че-то рассказывают.. Некоторые локи очень красивые - Кристальный Грот это вообще нечно! В меру сложное прохождение - некоторые боссы с первого раза, некоторые с 30-го. Иногда "вау" и "ух ты, как завернули" не отпускало. В общем хорошая интересная игра. Очень понравилось, что надо в начале много ходить ногами - прям реальное путешествие получается Очень понравилось как устроены локации и мир. Классные боссы. Но что вы думаете произошло? Я убил очередного (меня меня) босса и внезапно оказался на НГ+! Со стартовым посохом, с неполученным оружием из душ боссов, не найдя босса-мага, о котором знал заранее (думал от него нормальный посох дадут) и не найдя ДЛЦ!
    И как оказалось я пропустил, с наверно, треть игры! Надо сказать, что читая потом вики, у меня волосы на голове дыбом вставали! Как можно было так сильно всё запрятывать! Ну невозможно нормальному человеку так всё исследовать, чтоб самому найти ковенанты, оружие.. Вот в этом моё главное разочарование в ДС1 - перемудрили они с секретами, через чур это, не над так.
    Спасло что сейф был, откатился, допрошел всё на первом круге. Просто я не люблю спойлерить перед прохождением, и не люблю по второму разу проходить.
    Но даже так, играя вслепую и напарываясь на косяки, игра очень достойна, стоит того чтоб в неё поиграть.
    А для себя сделал вывод. Что похоже, дело не в играх которые либо затянут либо нет, а в личном настрое.
  5. Jan 5, 2016
    This is quite a fun game--but not hard (as everyone says). The hard parts of the game of simply the CHEAP parts of the game--Capra Demon, Archers in Anor Londo, Chaos Bed. No matter your skill, you will end up dying at certain cheap parts.

I played with a controller and it was fine. Also, played on a laptop intel hd 4000 graphics card. Worked fine with the downloadable fix (forgot the name of it).

In short, fun game but difficulty comes from being cheap at times. Dark Souls 2 is better. Enjoy!
  6. Dec 8, 2015
    It's unfortunate that I only found out about this amazing game after first playing Dark Souls 2. Dark Souls is just so unique and refreshing with its difficult, but fun to master gameplay, minimalist storytelling, and amazing atmosphere. Absolute must-play for any RPG fan and easily in my top 3 games ever played.
  7. Dec 5, 2015
    + Overall good melee combat mechanics with a strong emphasis on "impact" behind every action, every action carries a price and must be calculated, making it one of the most engaging combat systems
    + Good soundtrack
    + Great variety of enemies and their move sets + Excellent weapon (with their own animations) and armor variety, customization to your play style + Entire Player subculture
    + Good soundtrack
    + Great variety of enemies and their move sets
    + Entire Player subculture through "covenants"
    +Good boss fights...some great, some are poor( Discharge, Butterfly, Bed of Chaos, summon exploitsm etc), but overall enjoyable
    + Well executed concept of learning about the world through subtle hints through dialogue, discovery, items
    / Atmosphere, Lore and sound design
    / Art style, environment design and visuals
    / Magic system, extensive but very unimaginative
    / Difficulty...challenging and rewarding, but trial and error also often cripples the fun factor
    - Controls with very noticeable lag, especially with jumping, dodging and rolling
    - Very poor combat UI
    - Abysmal dialogue and npc's, very poor voice acting...most of the time WITHOUT any lyp sinc
    - Poor Archery
    - TON of repetition and grinding
    - Poor and easily exploitable enemy AI that attacks through walls or shoots arrows relentlessly at them, or is simply unable to walk across ledges
    - Very "clunky" combat system with poor animation transition...very stiff, unsatisfying, with very poor or barely any decent combat coreography...it simply isn't fun
    - no tutorial of any kind
    - very poor pc port...fps drops, controls, UI

Personal rant:

Nothing of absolutely "legendary" quality that DS fanatical ( and somewhat rabid and insane, at times) community would have you believe. It combines elements from different games, improving on some, degrading others, while attracting the crowd with "Dark Souls is what turns boys into MEN" silly propaganda .
    It is a very limited title, with as many flaws as positives and one that requires more patience than anything else. I personally don't get a hard on from clicking a mouse and Dark Souls, most of the time simply comes across as being a tedious chore, than a fun and challenging experience.
    Still, I respect a vision behind this game and I can see that a lot of effort went into it, so I cannot judge it negatively despite my impression.
  8. Dec 2, 2015
    Dark Souls is the hands down the best game of the previous generation and will remain the best game of this decade. It just offers unparalleled gameplay and a story that's beyond anything we've had in RPGs so far.

The people complaining about the port are just silly. Yes, it's a bad port, but you only need a controller and 2 minutes of your life to install a mod that fixes everything.
  9. Nov 25, 2015
    This is not a good port from a console to PC game, its not halfway good its one of the worst ive seen.
    It did not feel like they spent half the time needed to make the controls work for a PC user and considering the difficulty in this game this is a to me like the 8th deadly sin:
    Though shalt not make a bad port from console to PC or you will burn in hell for all eternity. They didnt

They didnt actually try to make a good PC game in my opinion just a quick money grasp, lets see who will buy the game based on its strong console game reputation.

This gets a 1 there may be a few extreme case games that are actually worse but i cant think of any i remember the name of but im sure ive played some.
  10. Nov 17, 2015
    I absolutely loved Dark Souls Prepare to die edition, **** awesome game, some of the best gameplay mechanics a game has to offer, when I finished it I immediately went back into playing it, I found this game remarkably fun I literally couldn't stop playing it until I finished it. Overall the story was a bit meh, I wasn't invested I just wanted to screw stuff up, and the framerate dropsI absolutely loved Dark Souls Prepare to die edition, **** awesome game, some of the best gameplay mechanics a game has to offer, when I finished it I immediately went back into playing it, I found this game remarkably fun I literally couldn't stop playing it until I finished it. Overall the story was a bit meh, I wasn't invested I just wanted to screw stuff up, and the framerate drops were bad until I installed dsfix which if you haven't YOU MUST DO. All in all a solid game, loved it so much. Expand
  11. Nov 11, 2015
    The game is definitely good, challenging and with a nice and dark setting, but controls/bugs (only partially fixed with mods) kept me away from this title for a long time.

When you release a game for PC, players expect to find 2 things, mostly: graphical options and working controls for mouse/keyboard (and eventually a controller too). This game actually lacks both (non-modded

This game actually lacks both (non-modded mouse-look makes you puke hard after few minutes of gameplay).
    After I switched to v2.0-beta, installed DSFix, DSMfix, KB+M icons and hi-res fonts it still isn't good: I can change graphical options and the mouse-look works "better" but it's definitely not enough to make me enjoy this game with KB+M.
    I know it is clearly stated that an xbox controller is strongly recommended, but again I think that for any PC game, working keyboard + mouse support is mandatory (along with basic graphical quality options). It's a pity we have to get what developers were supposed to do through unofficial mods.

So, this PC port is still one of the worst ports I have ever played, but after you manage to get it playable modding/tuning graphic and control settings, I can easily say it's a gem, one of the 10 out of 10 that keep yourself playing hours and hours, amazed by atmosphere, story-telling and gameplay.

In the end I'd say I totally recommend this game to hardcore action-rpg lovers but think twice before buying if you don't have a controller.
    Also, to my linux fellas: the game runs stable with staging wine, no framedrops.
  12. Oct 6, 2015
    Bought it, played for ten ours. Got to sewers, hated the whole game from the start. Stopped playing. Gave another try after 6 months. Didn't die once going to sewers. Understood something about the combat. Something clicked. This game is the best in it's genre. Easily. Still the best game ever. Praise the sun.
  13. Oct 3, 2015
    BAD THINGS :
    Terrible PC port.
    This game is unplayable on average PC unless you download a mod called DSFIX. You can't even bind numeric key if you want to play this game with keyboard. Graphics looks bad and a lot of framerate drop in certain area. Terrible game Design This is basically a rage game, a Lot of enemies can often insta kill your character even if you wearing
    BAD THINGS :
    Terrible PC port.

Terrible game Design
    This is basically a rage game, a Lot of enemies can often insta kill your character even if you wearing medium-heavy armor and invest a lot on vigor stats. Some bosses are easier than some normal enemies that you will encounter while exploring. Overall, this game is cheap and unbalanced in the terms of difficulty. If you want a balanced and challenging game, this is not the game for you

A lot of area in this game are felt empty and lack of detail. the dev are even put strong enemies in ridiculous formation for preventing players to explore some unfinished area.

took 30 hour less to beat the game on my first try, and i missed the DLC content because no way i can find the portal without reading online guide.

GOOD THINGS :
    - O&S is my favourite boss fight in this series
    - Cool armor design
    - some enemy design are mindblowing
    - interesting lore
    - unique multiplayer design
  14. Sep 7, 2015
    I played the game with xbox 360 controller and it's perfect. The one-on-one combat is the best you can find. The monsters are varied and although they are not often the smartest, they are really challenging to play. The weapon upgrade system is great, and it mostly stays away from the common RPG problem: by the time you get a powerful weapon, you most probably do not need it anymore. InI played the game with xbox 360 controller and it's perfect. The one-on-one combat is the best you can find. The monsters are varied and although they are not often the smartest, they are really challenging to play. The weapon upgrade system is great, and it mostly stays away from the common RPG problem: by the time you get a powerful weapon, you most probably do not need it anymore. In Dark Souls enemies re-spawn each time you rest at the bonfire, so you get to use the most powerful weapons on weakest opponents.

I love how game forces you to change approach for new enemies you encounter. You cannot simply grab the mightiest weapon and kill everything. Different enemies require different tactics. For that reason, you might want to fully upgrade 4-5 weapons (regular, fire, divine, ranged, magic) and armor types (heavy set to sustain mighty blows or light but resistant to curse, poison and magic). The game also has a nice balance between might and magic.

The only problem I found is that some things are obscured and hidden, and you have to watch for clues in the environment and listen to what NPCs talk about. If you don't have the Internet and actively search for stuff in the game, there's a high chance you would miss some of the adventure.

The best RPG in the last five years. I spend around 150 hours before completing it.
  15. Aug 31, 2015
    Un juego desafiante, con una historia envolvente y gráficas aceptables. La dificultad se ajusta ante las circunstancias en las que nos encontremos, es decir, mientras más avancemos más complicado será progresar la aventura. Los personajes son originales y la trama llega a ser incluso hasta tétrica. Mientras que los jefes son todo un desafío e importa poco el nivel del que dispongas, ya queUn juego desafiante, con una historia envolvente y gráficas aceptables. La dificultad se ajusta ante las circunstancias en las que nos encontremos, es decir, mientras más avancemos más complicado será progresar la aventura. Los personajes son originales y la trama llega a ser incluso hasta tétrica. Mientras que los jefes son todo un desafío e importa poco el nivel del que dispongas, ya que la cantidad de daño que recibas de tus adversarios no menguará si incrementas tus estadisticas. Recomendable para los que buscan un verdadero reto y hará trabajar sus mentes al máximo para revelar secretos que solo harán más complejo el juego, pero más emocionante. Con gran variedad de atuendos y armas clásicos de la edad medía. Dark Souls que un videojuego que ha marcado la séptima generación. Expand
  16. Aug 30, 2015
    This game for all its potential depth and story does a few things that are cardinal sins in my opinion. First off, it has very fiddly controls combined with a 3rd person camera that make the blocking and striking mechanics harder than they need to be. Secondly it combines punishing difficulty with a lack of a save/load function, so if you try something and mess it up, there's no tryingThis game for all its potential depth and story does a few things that are cardinal sins in my opinion. First off, it has very fiddly controls combined with a 3rd person camera that make the blocking and striking mechanics harder than they need to be. Secondly it combines punishing difficulty with a lack of a save/load function, so if you try something and mess it up, there's no trying it again - e.g. the sleeping dragon at the start with the items you're supposed to be able to sneak up, steal and get away with (or die but keep). In my game the fiddly controls had me smashing A for my character to pick up the 2nd item before the dragon murdered me only to find that it just wouldn't register the command, and now the game is saved with the dragon awake.

Frustrating design combined with huge difficulty and punishing auto saving? You get to meet my friend called the steam refund policy!
  17. Aug 9, 2015
    This game is Really Hard and it's not Recommendable to Casuals? but even if it's Hard, that means is it Bad? NO! this game is Amazing! i may have already tell to ALL of my Friends that i am a Humongous RPG Fanatic from numerous games such as Mother 3, Hyperdimension Neptunia, South Park, TERA and etc. the Game has solid Combat and Mechanics, Nice Graphics, a very strange and cool story andThis game is Really Hard and it's not Recommendable to Casuals? but even if it's Hard, that means is it Bad? NO! this game is Amazing! i may have already tell to ALL of my Friends that i am a Humongous RPG Fanatic from numerous games such as Mother 3, Hyperdimension Neptunia, South Park, TERA and etc. the Game has solid Combat and Mechanics, Nice Graphics, a very strange and cool story and very Challenging, but at the same time Rewarding! the PC Port have some Problems but i didn't really care about! i thought i wouldn't like this games as other People do... but man... they were Right Expand
  18. Jun 27, 2015
    - Good: Gameplay, Exploration, Character progression, Boss fights, Atmosphere/Mood, Demanding

- Mixed: Setting, Story

- Bad: terrible mouse/keyboard controls, overall bad PC port.

Great game after some mods, also u need gamepad because this game is unplayable with mouse/keyboard.
  19. Jun 21, 2015
    To all the whingers - get DSFix, HD Texture pack and a USB controller. You'll get better graphics than a console and same controls. 100% win. As for the game itself. Its brilliant and integrated. The combat system, lore and difficulty are perfect.
  20. May 23, 2015
    First of all, before I can actually write a decent review of the game, I need to get the cons out of the way so I can move on to the pros. This is an absolutely horrific console port if you play it vanilla. Seriously one of the worst games (from a technical standpoint). And requires quite a bit of modding before it is in a playable state. Here's the main issues;

1. 30fps frame lock

1. 30fps frame lock

2. 720p resolution lock

3. Horrid mouse and keyboard support (I wouldn't even use the word support here in all honesty)

4. GFWL on launch (although that's thankfully been removed, and is now on Steamworks)

5. The current Steamworks version of the game as quite a huge problem with the way the servers work, making it sometimes impossible to co-op with a friend.

Thankfully most of this can be fixed by installing DsFIx and DSMFix, and tinkering around inside ini files.

Alright, now that the quite hefty list of negative is out of the way I can talk about what I love about the game. And there is quite a lot;

I have just over 100 hours in the Steam version of Dark souls, and hundreds more across the xbox and PS3 versions. I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt that this is possibly one of my favourite games of the generation, and definitely earns a spot in my top 10 games of all time list. It's such a beautifully crafted game, in every single aspect. Playing through it for the first time provides you with a huge sense of awe. From the expansive world design, to the interconnecting areas, there's not a single bad thing I can say about the world design in this game.

Every time you defeat and conquer an area boss, you feel more than a sense of accomplishment, it's euphoric. The constant feeling of wanting to continue to explore the deep and winding world leads you to never wanting to set your controller down (YOU'RE PLAYING WITH A CONTROLLER, RIGHT?).

Of course, there is the element of the difficulty, but I feel people actually mistake involved gameplay mechanics with artificial difficulty. Dark Souls is not an inherently hard game, once you learn to master the parry and dodging mechanics, you'll be flying through the game in no time.

I think what my absolute favourite part of this game is, is that you can play through the game dozens of times. Each time with a different playstyle, or weapon in miind, and your experience will be entirely different from the last. Not only that, but you still have the same feeling of wonder and enjoyment each time you beat the game.

Typically, your first playthrough will come out to around 60-70 hours, if you're exploring all the areas. However, subsequent playthroughs can be cut down significantly in time, since you'll have a familiar understanding of the level design, enemy placement and the fastest routes to completing areas.

From Software have created an unsung masterpiece in Dark Souls, and one I think a lot of people are fearful of playing because of the supposed difficulty or mechanics. I would strongly urge any and everyone to play this game though, for under £20 you will absolutely not regret it.

TL;DR

BUY THIS GAME
  21. May 19, 2015
    First of all, if not the quality of the port, the game would get a strong 8 or even 9/10.
    There is practically no storytelling in the game, you are figuring out the plot out of the events and very laconic conversations. However, I find the lore of the Dark Souls world very appealing, even if not being proper cRPG (story-wise).
    On PC, the legendary difficulty of this game is mostly caused
    On PC, the legendary difficulty of this game is mostly caused by a very poor port. The game is practically unplayable with keyboard and mouse. Don't even start it without proper controller. Things like constantly displaying windows cursor or capped frame rate are minor issues, but the keyboard/mouse support is ridiculous.
    However the game still managed to rip 40 hours of my life.
  22. May 3, 2015
    You know how some people say "a game isn't bad because it's too difficult"? This game kinda disproves that hypothesis, the difficulty curve at the beginning of the game is ridiculously high and does a terrible job at easing the player into the game. It puts you straight into the action with multiple enemies just 5-10m into the game. Such a shame because the initial cut-scene showed realYou know how some people say "a game isn't bad because it's too difficult"? This game kinda disproves that hypothesis, the difficulty curve at the beginning of the game is ridiculously high and does a terrible job at easing the player into the game. It puts you straight into the action with multiple enemies just 5-10m into the game. Such a shame because the initial cut-scene showed real promise and the game seemed to have a thought out world judging purely from my first impressions.

To top it of, the game is a shoddy Xbox 360 port. It's such a bad port in fact that it's almost impossible to play without an Xbox controller. An interesting premise for a game, poor execution. I wish I could play it further, but the difficulty curve is just too extreme for me.
  23. May 2, 2015
    after playing dark souls series, all the other games just seems silly now. When you have been playing dark souls for a few hundred hours, the AI and combat of the other action games just seems to be boring and unrealistic now.
  24. May 1, 2015
    I feel that this game is one of the best that I've ever played. I did not find the controls complicated, despite using a keyboard and mouse. I do not see the problem that other people seem to have.
    If you're one of those people that have a huge issue with the graphics, feel free to download the graphics fix, but it was hardly a problem for me.
  25. Apr 16, 2015
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is the PC port of the legendary spiritual successor to Demon Souls. It is a punishingly difficult game designed to make you think instead of rush. Don't try to play it without a game pad, the keyboard controls are famously unintelligent in their layout. Also, take the Master Key at the start. Just a hint. You need to use the beta edition on steam to getDark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is the PC port of the legendary spiritual successor to Demon Souls. It is a punishingly difficult game designed to make you think instead of rush. Don't try to play it without a game pad, the keyboard controls are famously unintelligent in their layout. Also, take the Master Key at the start. Just a hint. You need to use the beta edition on steam to get rid of the former Games for Windows Live overlay, which will cause problems with saves and achievements if not handled properly. The environment, the game play, and the community all come together to make one of the best games of the decade. Expand
  26. Apr 11, 2015
    Terrible Port. Programmers should be ashamed! Absolutely no care was given to the transfer from console to PC.
    The game itself, whilst having a nice atmosphere, has very simplistic controls - that are not responsive, which makes for a very amatuerish combat system. The graphics are VERY dated.
    If you like any sophistication in your gaming, then stay away from this abomination. Giving it
    Giving it one out of ten just for the atmosphere.
  27. Apr 11, 2015
    Awesome game. This kind of old school difficulty games really rewards every step you make in finishing a magnificent story, full of epic fantasy and action. There's just one major issue... the pc port is bad. Really bad. With a fix you can find online the graphic will get better.. but still they could've put a greater effort in porting this gem to pc.
  28. Apr 2, 2015
    I would have gave this game a 10 if I didn't have to use a mod to get better graphic settings.

This is a great game that took me about 70 hours to beat! I got completely stomped on by the O&S battle more than 30 times and took a lot of week long breaks playing due to how difficult some of the areas are. This game has restored my faith in gaming. This game doesn't hold your hand and

This game has restored my faith in gaming. This game doesn't hold your hand and doesn't have tons of check points to restart from. You must plan every move carefully to advance.

If you are a casual gamer who likes to play games for the sake of making progress every time you log in then stay away. This game will test your abilities as a gamer as well as your patience.
  29. Apr 2, 2015
    I would give this game a 5 just because its the worst concole port I've ever seen and because it is impossible to play the game without the controller...Moveover the game is boring the plot is simple and vacuous not to say the least.The story is just not engaging and even the gameplay itself,which is supposed to be key in this game, is filled with walking through poorly designed corridorsI would give this game a 5 just because its the worst concole port I've ever seen and because it is impossible to play the game without the controller...Moveover the game is boring the plot is simple and vacuous not to say the least.The story is just not engaging and even the gameplay itself,which is supposed to be key in this game, is filled with walking through poorly designed corridors and engaging in combat with armies of skeletons.This is not fun at all!Difficulty is not enough for making a good game.Challenge is not the only thing needed to make an interesting game.I am concerned that this game has so many fans because this tells much about the gaming community as a whole. Expand
  30. Mar 31, 2015
    Despite the broken port it's a MASTERPIECE. A game you'll be thinking about while working, learning, praying, eating, banging. Of course if you like difficult and rewarding games plus you have a gamepad.
  31. Mar 28, 2015
    ***Super Late Entry***Take the amazing console versions add the worthy DLC,a low price and enhancements due to mods and you the Ultimate game. A must buy.
  32. Mar 20, 2015
    My favorite game of all time gets a 7. The reason for this is, while it is my personal soul-mate, it is definitely not for everyone, and plenty of flawed game design is in it.
    PROS:
    + The art direction is so incredible! This is one of the main reasons my love for Dark Souls is so enormous. If you decide not to get this game - at least pick-up an art book. + 90% of the bosses are
    PROS:
    + 90% of the bosses are challenging but fair (most of them). They can be amazing, brilliant, beautiful, and sometimes (if you know the lore) tear-jerking.
    + The lore is so deep; every character has an incredible back-story, no matter how small their role. A prime example of this is Knight Lautrec of Carim, who has more story than screen-time.
    + While some levels are hot smelly trash (*cough* Blighttown *cough*), some levels are amazing, for example, the Painted World of Ariamas.
    + So many weapons, so many spells, so many upgrades, so many classes; your character is a slate for you to do what every you want with.
    CONS:
    - Some bosses (the 10%, if you will), are just stupid. Bed of Chaos is one of the most frustrating bosses ever, Priscilla can be irritating your first few playthroughs, Gwyndolin decides if you live or not. But including maybe a few others, there aren't many.
    - Some levels are dumb - just designed to make you angry: Blighttown, The Depths, The Great Hollow, Ash Lake, and the route to Manus (if you have the DLC) is another awful one. But keep in mind, again, there are some AMAZING levels in this game.
    - Invasions, they aren't fair. But at least they don't pretend to be fair.
    - The biggest learning curve in any game every. You'll be frustrated when on your first playthrough you find out you've screwed yourself by wasting humanity and leveling the wrong stats 10 hours ago.
    If you're skeptical about a purchase of this game (unfortunately there isn't a demo I can recommend), just watch a Let's Play of the game on YouTube, and decide from there. But it is my favorite game of all time, and I would recommend picking it up on sale.
  33. Mar 15, 2015
    I am so dissapointed by this game. I thought it would be one of the best console game, maybe it is, but is this great?
    1st: I am not complaining about the ridiculous port from console to PC: with some mods this is technically not bad. Ok, there are some things, that is normal and great in PC games: free saving for example: I dont want to go through all the same enemies all over again, because I am killed by a boss, what is normal until you know the strategie.
    Now the game itself: Storytelling is so bad, I needed to search in internet to understand, that the story is... this never happened to me before. Gameplay...Hack n slay can be fun, but not here: you re doing the same little things million of time just to be perfect and not be killed... so often. Graphic + Sound: perfect. After about 15 hours I had enough and installed a PC game from 1997, that is better in my eyes: Fallout 1.
  34. Feb 23, 2015
    Probably one of the most console-like games I've ever played on a PC. This definitely starts with an annoying controller setup. Jumping in this game is silly. The gameplay and story line, on the other hand, are rivaled by few. You really have to pay attention for it, though. The bosses seem different, but most are stab-in-butt-until-victory sorts. Few bosses are different andProbably one of the most console-like games I've ever played on a PC. This definitely starts with an annoying controller setup. Jumping in this game is silly. The gameplay and story line, on the other hand, are rivaled by few. You really have to pay attention for it, though. The bosses seem different, but most are stab-in-butt-until-victory sorts. Few bosses are different and parrying is oddly calculated, making what seems like great timing turn out as instant death.
    I do enjoy this game, though, having played over 150 hours in the game, so some part of it might be captivating. There are numerous ways to play the game, including well-developed classes which are better balanced than many other games.
  35. Jan 28, 2015
    PROS:

- Exploration is great. - Map design is brilliant. - Combat is easy to learn, but hard to master. - Game feels very rewarding after beating tough boss/passage. - Game is fair and does not cheat on you. - Atmosphere is dark, heavy and keep you tense. - GFWL is gone, only Steam is needed. - Challenges can be often beaten by many ways. - Co-op and interesting multiplayer
    PROS:

- Exploration is great.
    - Map design is brilliant.
    - Combat is easy to learn, but hard to master.
    - Game feels very rewarding after beating tough boss/passage.
    - Game is fair and does not cheat on you.
    - Atmosphere is dark, heavy and keep you tense.
    - GFWL is gone, only Steam is needed.
    - Challenges can be often beaten by many ways.
    - Co-op and interesting multiplayer mechanics.
    - Bloodstains of dead players can tell you what killed them.
    - Messages from other player to help you/troll you.
    - Game can be easily played on keyboard and mouse.

CONS:
    - Game mechanics are not that well explained in game, you should look through a Dark Souls Wiki or a beginners guide.
    - Not very interesting story.
    - No map, you can get lost sometimes.
    - Inventory made for consoles (of course!) and is controlled by keys. (Not a problem after few minutes)

Easy fixable CONS:
    - Mouse feels a bit weird, but there are fixes to deal with that. (DSMfix)
    - Graphics is outdated, but there are many graphics mods on Dark Souls Nexus.
    - FPS, resolution and other things are easily unlockable/modable by DSfix.

I bought a XBOX controller before getting this game. I ditched it after couple of hours, when i discovered that game is easier on K+M. In fact controls are changeable for the keyboard and mouse, but not for controller. Dont believe people complaining about controls and graphics. They are lazy retards, they didnt even bother to do 1minute long google search to fix few things. This is one of the best games i have ever played.
  36. Jan 27, 2015
    Bad PC port, but this game is still good enough to deserve a 10. It has a brilliant plot, combat system, world and artistic design. Just please do not call it an RPG, as there are no plot altering decisions here.
  37. Jan 22, 2015
    Man... this game. You play it and it's kinda fun at first and it's called "Prepare to Die" so you're ok with dying. At least you think you are.

Then you meet the Taurus Demon and it keeps killing you even though you feel like you should be able to do the technique, it's not that hard, and a few times you get close but no cigar. You make one mistake and you're a spot of entrails and blood on stone. In the end you get frustrated and you mess up on the way back to the demon, before you can reclaim all the souls you were carrying, and you lose 14000 souls which is a lot to you because you're a complete noob. And you get angry, you shut the game down and you hate life.

And yet, an hour later you're back, you face the demon again and this time you get it. It dissolves and you feel like a hero. For about a minute until you run onto a bridge and a Wyvern roasts you from above with no warning at all and for no apparent reason. You realize that the game is never going to play fair. On the way back you see a comment left by a player that you should use ranged weapons. Surely he doesn't want you to fight that fire-breathing hellhound with wings?! You look it up online and find out you should shoot the wyvern's tail while hiding below the bridge. You do and you get a cool sword, an awesome one. And now the Hollow fear you, they fall before you like sheep to the slaughter and you can now face up to the big lump of armor in the cellar who wields something that looks like it's the petrified bone of a giant chicken and you kill the damn thing and he drops a very cool ring. Now you can move fast while in armor and now you want to see more. You want to fight more. Sure, you're still a noob but you get it now, you want to be more, to practice your parry and riposte, your movements, your strikes.

Welcome to Dark Souls.

(Edit: The game itself is a clear 10 but the port to PC is so poor it has to be a 9. If you want to play it on PC, you need to look up DSFix and if you want to use keyboard/mouse also DSMfix in the newest versions. This game needs work and patience to run on a PC but the game itself is worth it once it does)
  38. Jan 11, 2015
    I'm being completely honest when I say that Dark Souls is one of the worst games that I've ever played. Seriously, I don't mind difficult games. In fact, I embrace them. They're fun in their own way. Dark Souls is not a difficult game. After fifteen-hours of torturous gameplay, I have come to the conclusion that it is a broken piece of garbage. The only way in which Dark Souls is difficultI'm being completely honest when I say that Dark Souls is one of the worst games that I've ever played. Seriously, I don't mind difficult games. In fact, I embrace them. They're fun in their own way. Dark Souls is not a difficult game. After fifteen-hours of torturous gameplay, I have come to the conclusion that it is a broken piece of garbage. The only way in which Dark Souls is difficult is that the controls are horrendous, the response time between when you press a button and when your character actually does what you wanted them to do is laughable, and the gameplay itself is dull and heavy, as if your character were obese. Literally, they make it seem as if your sword weighs one-hundred-fifty-pounds. I feel like my character is an overgrown baby trying to swing a longsword. All of this would have been forgiveable, if it wasn't for the fact that sometimes when you press a button, your character will do the complete opposite. For example, I'll tell him to dodge left. He dodges right. He dies. I then proceed to remember reading someone writing, "In Dark Souls, when you die, it really is your fault! It's fair!". Really? When my character decides to roll right into a spear, that's my fault? Get out of here. I love the reviews on here, too, where they'll list so many negatives, and then still give it a 10/10. How does this game have such a high score? I am genuinely baffled. I feel like it would be easier to discover why it is that kids love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch than it would be to discover why this game is so highly rated. It is ridiculous. I would sooner meet Vlad the Impaler than play Dark Souls one more time.

0 Games for Windows Live out of 10.
  39. Dec 27, 2014
    A game that unforgivingly punishes you for your mistakes, with death never far away even against the most lowly of ingame characters. There is none of that fetch quest back and forth nonsense here as seen in the likes of Skyrim, just a deep dark, surprisingly interconnected, world for you to lose yourself, stripped back of all the gimmicks used in many other games. Frustration will giveA game that unforgivingly punishes you for your mistakes, with death never far away even against the most lowly of ingame characters. There is none of that fetch quest back and forth nonsense here as seen in the likes of Skyrim, just a deep dark, surprisingly interconnected, world for you to lose yourself, stripped back of all the gimmicks used in many other games. Frustration will give way to a rewarding feeling of achievement, as you learn your way and progress. Expand
  40. Dec 10, 2014
    Meh.

I don't understand the hype around this one. It's really nothing special. Couple this with the god-damn awful PC port that it is, it's enough to safely put me off from playing this anymore.I found the game to be significantly lacking in all areas. Sure, it's hard, but that is really all it's got going for it.

Jimbo Rating: 3/10
  41. Nov 29, 2014
    Dull boring environment. Boring combat. Boring world. Demon Souls was great both Dark Souls series very boring. The graphics on both Dark Souls on the pc are worse than the graphics of demon souls on the ps3. FANS OF SINGLE PLAYER GAMES AVOID THIS TITLE. Nothing but a bunch of children invading other's games.
  42. Nov 19, 2014
    There is no reason not much to write, this is a must play, so in a nutshell. Best game of the last generation and one of the best game in history. Enjoy this refined diamond!!!
  43. Oct 14, 2014
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is everything an RPG Fan seeking for a little more challenge could ever hope for. This is hands down one of the hardest AAA games in the last 10 years, but having excellent gameplay that requires alot of dedication and time to master.
    The story, while not easily understood by the average player, isn't actually too bad - if you take the time to read item descriptions, listen to the more than often mad NPCs and keep adding new pieces to this story puzzle.

Only downsides are:
    - weak graphics & technical execution ( INSTALL DSFIX!!! IT TAKES LESS THAN 5 MINUTES AND WILL MAKE THE GAME ALOT MORE ENJOYABLE!!!)
    - unplayable keyboard controls (you definitely want a gamepad for this)
    - Online features not working as intended, mainly due to Games for Windows Live ( Thanks, Microsoft.)

But all of those points (except the online thing sadly) can be easily fixed and once solved, provide a unique gaming "experience". Yes I did just use the word experience. Dark Souls is literally a journey of emotions, from depression to unlimited joy. Just don't give up on it.
  44. Oct 13, 2014
    Poorly designed port but can be fixed easily by downloading dsfix and placing it in your DS folder. Game all but requires a controller but I prefer controllers so I won't knock it for that.
  45. Oct 13, 2014
    A horrible port of a great game. The biggest problem I have with this: I had to download 5 mods for it to work. And even now, the most deaths come from the retarded function that switches locked targets when you just slightly move your mouse ... which you have to use to attack in the first place. Despite the flaws, the game is still way above average as well as a serious challenge.
  46. Sep 20, 2014
    7.3 ? Are you kidding me? Absolutely bad graphic! PC version is bad. It so bad - that mouse cursor runing over game! It so bad that i don see difference with resolution 640*480 and 2550*1440! It so bad that 4 kays not move to keabord! I see many games, ilsee thousands bad games. But this - absulutely record of bad games.
  47. Sep 17, 2014
    A beautiful game. A game, so rich in lore and pristine storytelling, surely people can get past the PC port issue. The enchanting music, interesting characters and unique game-play make this one of the greatest games of all times. When a game almost makes me tear up after killing a hostile boss, you know that it's pretty amazing. The Daughters of Chaos story makes me feel things I neverA beautiful game. A game, so rich in lore and pristine storytelling, surely people can get past the PC port issue. The enchanting music, interesting characters and unique game-play make this one of the greatest games of all times. When a game almost makes me tear up after killing a hostile boss, you know that it's pretty amazing. The Daughters of Chaos story makes me feel things I never thought a game could make me feel. But unfortunately it does have faults so that is why it is only a 9. Expand
  48. Sep 16, 2014
    The game itself is amazing, graphics are pretty nice, the flow of the map and game run very nice and the lore is pretty damn cool if you look it up. The controls is what people seem to have the biggest issue with and yeah it's not as smooth as a lot of games but you can use a controller or download a mod to fix things up.

At first I wasn't a fan of the game in the 30 minutes I took to

At first I wasn't a fan of the game in the 30 minutes I took to try it, seemed difficult and the controls did get to me but after giving this game a second chance and installing a mouse mod to help I really came to love the game. I have beat it twice now and am on my third run through, I always find myself looking up more lore about the game because it is so interesting. I would give the game overall a 9 out of 10 but I am giving it a 10 here to offset the stupid reviews here giving it a 0 for no reason but them being to dumb to comprehend anything about this game.

Buy this game if you like a good challenge and wanna try something new.
  49. Sep 12, 2014
    Dark Souls is a very unique game. For one, It has a very rich and detailed story with many characters, but it's told to you in a way that is indirect. You either have to figure out what's happened to this desolate world by talking with people in it and noticing clues, or you'll be left in the dark. Their are many choices to be made as well, like what covenant to join or which direction toDark Souls is a very unique game. For one, It has a very rich and detailed story with many characters, but it's told to you in a way that is indirect. You either have to figure out what's happened to this desolate world by talking with people in it and noticing clues, or you'll be left in the dark. Their are many choices to be made as well, like what covenant to join or which direction to go or what weapons to use, and there's no one right answer for every playthrough you might do. Finally there's the notoriously unforgiving combat and dungeons. While not being too complex, it's refined enough to give you many options for different situations to get you through the game.
    All these things tied in with the beautiful graphics, atmosphere, story, and boss battles make Dark Souls a unique experience you will not soon forget. While the online and co-op aspects of the game are somewhat lacking, the other aspects more than make up for it.
    This isn't going to be a game for everyone, but if you're the typical gamer that craves a challenge, then you should definately hit Dark Souls up.
  50. Sep 4, 2014
    Get gamepad controller, DSfix (to tweak performance and quality) and DSCfix (for better connection with friend-list players and either non-friend with DSCfix installed), so you are ready to go (it will be long)...

Dark Souls is just perfectly done old-school Action-RPG, not affected with latest games "innovations" (sarkasm). #Great world (not kilometers long, dull, empty world, its

#Great world (not kilometers long, dull, empty world, its some sort of open, just great designed, where everything fits with everything , with atmosphere around, interconnected areas which makes exploration awesome, very interesting locations, no chances to boring around),
    #Greatly done, deep combat, especially boss fights and PvP, near every weapon have diffirent movesets, here are comboses, blocks, counters, rolls, jumping attacks, challenging enemies, everything what makes combat superior, need to play some more time it out to know what I'm talkin about, only backstabbs are some sort of cheap feature,
    #Character development - earned souls are like expierience points and some sort of cash, raising attributes is well done, there are plenty of them, which every of them have affect on our gameplay, inventory managment is great too, lot of customization and good upgrade weapons/armors system, And there are no best equipment, it all depends how are you playing and how do you use things to make yourself complete...
    #World lore and characters - who goes deep in game, knows what Im talking about,
    #Game design - art design of game is just excellent... Everything in game is not generic, is just well crafted, detailed as hell, world locations, enemies, bosses (awesome), items, evetything around looks like hand made masterpiece, From Software earned applaus again here,
    #Sound effects - good, which fits to game, einvorment SFX, and soundtrack, which some tracks here are again some memorable masterpiece (Four Kings theme, Golem/Stray theme, Gwyn theme),
    #Gameplay/Atmosphere - game plays excellent and long, well done controls if played on gamepad ( well, its console port), combat, exploration, suiting yourself with better things, discovering deep world around and rich game mechanics, nothing more to tell ;), no chances to gets bored, atmosphere of game is thick as hell,
    #Online interactions - well there are messages leaving system, PvP and Co-operation system, and other miscelanous things, that shows other players egsistence, Well there are flaws and bad things, but about bad later. PvP and Co-op are great additions which makes gameplay more and more awesome, combat system is just great for PvP (tons of people just made characters for PvP only). On beggining it can be overhelming, but after some hours spended here it will be superior expierience.... And there are a lot of various covenants, which have affect on how we will interact online.
    #Artorias of the Abyss DLC content - fullfilment to the core game, great quality addition, best bosses from the game here,

Bad things
    #Port quality - issues can be fixed with DSfix tool, mentioned above,
    #Online play quality - one big mess here, annoying GFWL system, all time lags (you must all time think some seconds forward, forseeing alot), not depending a lot on our connection quality, damn bad players pairing, most of time invasion/summoning failed communicates, often disconnections, it makes online playing only for players with some patience, I didnt ever saw worse than that online playing system on my eyes, check it out to get qucikly annoyed....

So final - game is overall masterpiece. From Software made near perfect game, made for gamers, not just for commercials (sadly, Dark Souls 2 gone to wrong way...) Game that you need to play, if you like action-RPG (well mixed, lot of action), with great depth in its, a lot of memorable things there, 10/10 note fully desreved. Issues to bad port quality can be easily fixed, so I dont take that on final opinion. One of the best games made ever. That's not a lie people, play it by yourselfs. Worth buying without any hestitations, and its very cheap to buy in this time.
  51. Sep 2, 2014
    I mean, besides the god awful PC port, its one of the better games i've played. I came from the land of DkS2 first, so I was at some sort of an advantage. I mean, this one is a lot less linear, a lot more intimidating, and thats good. I mean, there just isn't anything to be said that hasn't been said, but I will say this
    Git this game and GitGudScrub
  52. Aug 21, 2014
    I can't believe how highly rated this game is. It's one of the worst PC Ports I've ever played. It has horrible graphics, controls, and is locked at 30 FPS. From Software did not give 2 sh!ts about this game when they ported it over to Steam to make a quick buck. They simply moved on to Dark Souls 2 and shovelwared the first. Oh, btw, it runs through GFWL. Despite being on Steam. that'sI can't believe how highly rated this game is. It's one of the worst PC Ports I've ever played. It has horrible graphics, controls, and is locked at 30 FPS. From Software did not give 2 sh!ts about this game when they ported it over to Steam to make a quick buck. They simply moved on to Dark Souls 2 and shovelwared the first. Oh, btw, it runs through GFWL. Despite being on Steam. that's always great, right?

DO NOT BUY THIS.
    -Drain (Steam)
  53. Aug 21, 2014
    Dark Souls was one hell of a game, a serious game. The graphics though slightly dated have a neat, unique touch to them that still stands out to this day. The atmosphere and setting of this game had a lot of care. This is not a typical hack n slash game where you can run in swords blazing and rip everything to shreds. This game required patience, tactical fighting, and timed blocking andDark Souls was one hell of a game, a serious game. The graphics though slightly dated have a neat, unique touch to them that still stands out to this day. The atmosphere and setting of this game had a lot of care. This is not a typical hack n slash game where you can run in swords blazing and rip everything to shreds. This game required patience, tactical fighting, and timed blocking and healing. Another thing I liked about this game was the magnitude of exploration required and the huge rewards for doing so. Exploration is key in this game. I guess I might as well share I loved the staggering amount of armor and weapons to be found. Expand
  54. Aug 18, 2014
    one of the best games i've ever played but maybe not for everyone since there's alot of trial and error and backtracking. still it's very addictive and the atmosphere/combat are amazing.
    the PC port is the worst port i've ever seen but modded it becomes even better than the console versions.
    note: u WILL need a controller to play it or else u're gimping yourself.
  55. Aug 18, 2014
    Could be a good game, could be a bad game. I don't know, because Microsoft live, or Xbox live or whatever that bollocks is called, is so **** every time I attempt to play, I get so annoyed by the **** DRM, I have to uninstall.
  56. Aug 13, 2014
    The game might be terrific for all I know, but the PC port is so goddamn awful that I just can't play it. I spent hours trying to figure out how to get around Games For Windows Live, and when I finally got into the game, I FOUND OUT IT WAS HORRIBLE.

I am so disappointed! The framerate and resolution are crap, as well as the over all graphics. You can clearly tell that the team didn't put any effort into this terrible port, because the bloody hotkey icons are still looking like X360-buttons! And the mouse, OH GOD THE MOUSE. The camera keeps spinning around, and the mouse cursor is still on the screen in-game.

Don't buy this. If you have a PS3 or a Xbox 360, buy it for one of those. This port is a waste of cash. Totally unplayable.
  57. Jul 22, 2014
    Dark Souls, AKA "The Great Test of Patience", AKA "Frustration: The Video Game", is certainly one of a kind. This is not a game for everyone. Calling it "difficult" does not quite hit the mark, "challenging" is a bit better - but there really is no proper single word for it. Here's a quick test to find out if you'll like the game: Do you enjoy repeating the same little part of a game overDark Souls, AKA "The Great Test of Patience", AKA "Frustration: The Video Game", is certainly one of a kind. This is not a game for everyone. Calling it "difficult" does not quite hit the mark, "challenging" is a bit better - but there really is no proper single word for it. Here's a quick test to find out if you'll like the game: Do you enjoy repeating the same little part of a game over and over, memorizing everything and finding out how to best trick the game, only to move on to the next little part and do the same, and do you not mind a game's very stylish but nonetheless crude presentation and a sense of foreboding adventure, in part due to the fact that the game totally alienates you if you do not have a third party to explain it to you? If you can say yes, then Dark Souls is for you. The game has its charm, but as already stated, it's simply too crude, so I can't recommend it (except maybe at a discount - that's how I got it, thank God). Expand
  58. Jul 11, 2014
    The game is not difficult. You can game it easily by learning to doge and evade the patterns of everything including bosses. Therefore you can kill anything easily. The only stumbles I found are the camera doesn't lock on the PC view so you end up having blocked views if you don't adjust the second axis for the camera while you move. The other is the stuns that cause loss of characterThe game is not difficult. You can game it easily by learning to doge and evade the patterns of everything including bosses. Therefore you can kill anything easily. The only stumbles I found are the camera doesn't lock on the PC view so you end up having blocked views if you don't adjust the second axis for the camera while you move. The other is the stuns that cause loss of character control from hits or falls that delay character reactions that are much needed. These two are very gamey things that add difficulty which is easy to adjust once familiar with the game. The game is very linear. You open up new areas which are also linear. I like the concept of being undead and collecting souls and monsters and gear look cool for the most part. The multiplayer is burdensome and clunky. Try to get a friend in the game with you and you can wait up to an hour before they can join sometimes. That doesn't add to difficulty, it just is a time sink. Combat is interesting, but easy to game around with good evasion and not using target lock will help you more. Easy mode = skip to any item you want for your build by remaining low endurance to dodge and weave your way through anywhere in the world. Farm exp / souls by running high value monters/npcs off cliffs. Way too gamey imo. Expand
  59. Jul 4, 2014
    Best game of its generation, if you like games where you actually have to think about what you're doing . Best combat system ever. Hard to learn, but really rewarding.
  60. Jul 1, 2014
    Everything abut the game is amazing, except the port, but that is easy enough to fix with DSfix. A complex and epic fantasy story, a well done combat system that will leave you craving more, and plenty of mods to make the game run and look amazing.
  61. Jun 23, 2014
    This is hands down probably one of the worst rpgs I have ever played, any money spent on this game is a waste. The game is such a let down that the programmers should feel a sense of shame just for bringing this load of crap into the word
  62. Jun 19, 2014
    Yes, you get killed a lot. But though I'm easily frustrated, in this game that doesn't stop me from coming back. You have 10 slots and classes play remarkably different, weapons feel different too. But what noone mentioned this game has certainly the best level design I ever experienced. So I really recommend it. And if you play use a game controller. As a PC player I always avoided them.Yes, you get killed a lot. But though I'm easily frustrated, in this game that doesn't stop me from coming back. You have 10 slots and classes play remarkably different, weapons feel different too. But what noone mentioned this game has certainly the best level design I ever experienced. So I really recommend it. And if you play use a game controller. As a PC player I always avoided them. But it is the your natural weapon of choice in this game and amazingly...it works! Expand
  63. Jun 12, 2014
    an awful pc port.. but this is to be expected communing from the developer who has never done a PC port . but regarding the game its pretty good. the one thing i love about a dark souls game is its difficulty. this could be by far one of the best RPGs ever made if they made provided if the port was decent..
  64. Jun 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 1/10 - I didn't die.
  65. May 30, 2014
    When I purchased this port it was nearly unplayable. After six months of occasional stabs at it, buying an Xbox controller, and turning the graphics way down, I finally started to get into Dark Souls, and a few months later I can say it is now one of the greatest games I've ever played. Its world, art, combat system, and game mechanics all transcend its peers. The world of Lordran isWhen I purchased this port it was nearly unplayable. After six months of occasional stabs at it, buying an Xbox controller, and turning the graphics way down, I finally started to get into Dark Souls, and a few months later I can say it is now one of the greatest games I've ever played. Its world, art, combat system, and game mechanics all transcend its peers. The world of Lordran is worth mentioning in particular, because it is Dark Soul's main character. I never imagined a level designer could communicate so much through architecture and geography as was done through Lordran. Expand
  66. May 30, 2014
    Stick with it if you get a bit frustrated!

Stick with it if you get a bit frustrated!

This game is the most original and inspirational action RPG I've ever played. I love it. It gives you everything. But can be daunting for people new to the game. Please stick with it - it is rewarding and fun. Use the Wikis for it if you get stuck - there are three very good ones. But most importantly don't let yourself be put off by frustration, especially that born of the PvP and being invaded early in the game.

Cheating by PvP'ers who invade is a toxic problem, (And this isn't people who twink gear down to lower levels which although it is insurmountable for new players [and is thus in and of itself frustrating] it isn't actually cheating). The problem is that people can fix their game so they have high resists, high health, high damage, and more. . . http://www.usgamer.net/articles/cheating-more-than-death-in-dark-souls.

The game is great - but if you are just getting into it - just be mindful of the state of Cheat Engine usage - and disable (with firewall rules) GFWL till you get more comfortable with the game and it's mechanics. The sure fire method of enjoying the game is to simply Alt F4 when you are told you are being invaded, (read the Wiki to know when NPCs are invading as you will want to fight them). Then once you are backing up your save games, (called save scumming), and are comfortable with the game, then give PvP a try if you are invaded - But expect to encounter someone who has a frozen health bar, or unlimited stamina, or a weapon that reduces your stats to 25% and teleports you to Anor Londo, (see the article), or some other impossible ability - And expect them every third person who invades.
  67. May 26, 2014
    At first i was told "you won't like it, it's freaking hard" and i have a bad temper so i stayed
    away from this game then i was like "hell, why not" then i was like "How dare you keep me from this masterpiece!" lol with that said...

This game is everything i wanted in a sword and sorcery adventure game, I like that it doesn't have a set path to follow and bringing back true difficulty in gaming that i have not seen sense 1985 /1992 games.
    The graphics are not Directx11 but it still looks very amazing, they did well considering it's a port.
    Game play is solid, after a couple of hours you have it all down so no worries, from speed dodging techniques to tanking it up and going toe to toe you have a lot of choices here.
  68. May 26, 2014
    PC Review: Out of box, this was a piece of trash. The game runs at 1024x768 natively no matter what resolution you select in the options... thats right. It runs at the same resolution as Diablo 2 and old 90s games... I got the latest patch and it fixed the resolution problem so I can play at 1080p. The graphics... are horrendous. Was this really on the PS3? Wow.

OK no problem about the

OK no problem about the graphics since I am not a big graphics guy anyway. Lets go into the game and play. The game is an action/rpg. The story is bland. You start off as an undead and you start working your way out of some sort of prison on an island or something. The 1st thing you fight is a boss who will kill you a few times when you first start playing. Why you might ask? Well, because the controls are even worse than the graphics.

1st glaring problem is responsiveness. The game is designed to react slowly... why anyone would enjoy a twitch action game with slow response is beyond my understanding but lets continue. You click a button and the character doesnt actually move right away but rather you have to wait about 1/4 second before he does. This takes time to get used to and results in getting hit a lot initially until you get the timing. Its frustrating at first because if the controls were instant then the 1st enemy would actually be very easy to dodge and attack but whatever. They wanted us to play like we are in a 2 ton tank. Ok fine. Next problem.

Camera... Oh my god... how on earth can you make a game with this type of camera in this day and age. The camera is exactly like the horrible camera in Devil May Cry 1 on the PS2. It is so so bad that I refused to buy any more DMC games after finishing the 1st because my memories of that game are only of frustration. Like DMC, the camera in this game will eventually get you killed not because an enemy is hard, but because your view gets blocked by obstacles or the enemy itself. This is unforgivable in a modern game. Yes you can still finish the game, but it is not fun.

OK so with the problems above, I decided to switch to my Xbox controller so that I can control the movement speeds a bit better (its analog which cannot really be duplicated easily on keyboard) and to see if I can control the camera better with the 2nd stick. The game played better with the controller but the problem with the camera persisted because sudden motions and dodges can often get you out of alignment and make you vulnerable without being able to see the enemy.

The game itself is ok. It basically plays like Zelda or similar action RPG's but with a horrible camera. I do like that it is more rpg heavy than Zelda but the slow responsiveness and camera really makes it lose a lot in gameplay. After about 2 hours of play, I realized that the game is going to revolve around memorization of enemy movement and I decided to uninstall and return the game for a refund. Sorry but memorization of enemies is not how an RPG should be. RPG are supposed to be strategic where the player can overcome with good preparation and tactics. This game is less about that than it is about trial and error. This is not what I enjoy about RPG's. If I wanted that type of game I would have purchased an adventure game not an action twitch shooter or an RPG.

I wouldnt say the game is horrible but lets be real. Graphics look a step above PS2 (not PS3 era). Controls on PC are not fully realized due to analog mechanics and camera movement. Even with a controller the camera is horrible. Its an action game with purpose input delay... Thanks but no thanks.
  69. May 24, 2014
    I reviewed this poorly before but after seeing footage for Dark Souls 2, i decided to give this another try. If you press beyond the PC port issues there is some rewarding content later on. As long as you go the right way and have a walkthrough open most of the time.
  70. May 23, 2014
    Created an account just tell you how horrible this game is. I love challenging games, but that's not why this game sucks. The absolute worst port I have ever played. Seems like the developers just wanted more money and put this game on PC with console settings. They highly recommend playing this game on a xbox controller which to me seems pretty ****** stupid. If i wanted to play this gameCreated an account just tell you how horrible this game is. I love challenging games, but that's not why this game sucks. The absolute worst port I have ever played. Seems like the developers just wanted more money and put this game on PC with console settings. They highly recommend playing this game on a xbox controller which to me seems pretty ****** stupid. If i wanted to play this game with xbox controller. Ill buy it for xbox. Horrible company and i will not be buying any other games from them. I wish they actually spent time creating a real port because i really wanted to try this game. ESPECIALLY on a laptop with a limited keyboard, do not buy. For someone who works 10- 12 hours a day like me, i just dont have the time to really sit and grind on this game trying to get past one enemy with controls that dont work. You have been warned; buy at your own risk. Shame on this company for being greedy. Expand
  71. May 23, 2014
    Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty Empty.
  72. May 17, 2014
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
    Average User Score: 7.2
    May 8, 2014 8 Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition ImageI'll be honest with you. This is game is actually one of the best of this generation and offers so many unique aspect lost on modern games. That feeling you get for just achieving something so simple is amazing, lost on so many recent titles. Sadly a would be perfect
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
    Average User Score: 7.2
    May 8, 2014

Sadly a would be perfect experience is ruined by a sloppy port.
  73. May 13, 2014
    Great game, too bad the controls are unplayable. I can't count how many times I used up a valuable potion or exited my inventory because I pressed the wrong key. I didn't got far, not because of the dificulty, but due to the awful control port.
  74. May 12, 2014
    This game doesn't works properly. Crash on start screen. I bought it on Steam. I've played with Windows 8. But Windows 8.1, crashes, crashes and more crashes. Tried several workaraounds but no sucess.
  75. May 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First, let me point out a simple question, so that you might get an easier picture of what I'm up to. What exactly is the purpose of a game? Or spoken differently, why do humans play? There's probably tons of information on how to define what a game is, but I'll keep it simple due to character limit. Games are a form of activity done to amuse and/or relax to most times fulfill the simple pleasure of exercising them. Or expressed even more simple...Games are fun!

So now let me list what exactly I've experienced when I first started up the game and played through the first 15 minutes: Graphical glitches and issues around almost every corner. Locked 30 FPS and 1024x768 resolution, I can't even remember when I last played a game with such low FPS and resolution. Somewhere around the mid 90's I assume, it almost felt like a dia show. I've got 3 crashes to desktop in less then 10 minutes. I've first tried to play with keyboard and mouse, which you might already have figured by other reviews, wasn't such a good idea, but unfortunately using my gamepad was neither.

I wasn't capable of redefining keys like I wanted to, which is essential if you're left handed or play with arrow keys. The mouse acted wonky, unsmooth and sometimes completely crazy and there was absolutely nothing I could do to change it, as there where no mouse options. Hello?! No mouse option on a PC game? It doesn't matter if this is a console port, there HAS to be mouse options. And even IF I had the option to change keys/mouse, there still was this unswitchable stupid cursor flying over my monitor. The gamepad wasn't the holy grail everybody proclaimed. Buttons where reversed, the right stick (controlling the camera) had only one axis and the controls where lagging just as much as the mouse, plus it was extremely unprecisse and ~50% of hits where missed.

Regardless of that experience I've installed the DSFIX, the DSMFIX and numerous texture improving mods. It's the first thing I always do when having a new game to look out for Mods. In 90% of all cases I do this to enhance what is already good, but for DS it's different. You'll need to search for those mods and fixes in order to even be capable of playing it. In no way it's possible to play this game without fixes and mods.

So, after that 8 hour journey I finally got the game in an acceptable state. I'm playing with mouse and keyboard, which feels much more precise and right. I'm on my monitors maximum resolution 1680x1050. I have extremely vibrant textures, bloom, AA and all the modern graphical gimmicks possible for this game. There's still one thing that itches me though. I have to use different keys for menu navigation if I don't use a controller. Did not found a patch or fix that'd allow me to use arrow keys for controlling my charcter AND controlling the menu. But whatever, I've gone so far to ignore all flaws, as the game finally rewarded me superbly with fun and entertainment...or should I say positively rewarded me until I figured what this game really was about?!

It happened then after the tutorial forcing me to have a deeper look into the reviews not only around here, but on a various of websites and online game magazines. I should have noticed it early on when fighting this fat demonic Jabba. I'd died 4 times before finally killing it, and ONLY due to a happy coincidence that made fat leged Jabba glitching inside one of the pillars. I've read myself through a miriad of reviews and forum discussions about the difficulty of the game, quickly figuring that there's two sides...the hardcore devoted fanboys, and those, like me, that just like to play a game to have fun, relax and getting some easy entertainment. Easy is the keyword, as the forum discussions almost made me feel like a sinner wanting just to enjoy the game and thus not wasting any time with something that creates frustration and forces me to die 1.000 times in a row.

With increasing life expereince and age, the urge to prove something has been taken away from me. And even if I'd need to prove something, why would I prove it inside my lonesome gaming cellar where nobody's capable of witnessing? Apart from that, I'm practicing the art of Buhurt and as such would eat everyone inside this game and its players alive, plus I'm 6"2 and have a corresponding penis size.

So here I am now, having a real jewel of a game not being capable of enjoying due to technical flaws and a sadomasochistic difficulty level, that must expel any ordinary gamer who's just playing games for fun. What's a challenge if the only challenge is to constantly die and repetetively play the same scene over and over again? Learning by dying anyone? So in all respect, I have to give this game three different scores. First score barebone game without mods/fixes, second score game with mods and fixes, third score is the final verdict after figuring the most annoying difficulty level which absolutely destroys everything go0d about this game.

1: 4
    2: 8.5
    3: 2.5
  76. May 3, 2014
    This game, just like the first, is broken. They pretend it's 'hard' but it's just an excuse for a lack of testing and play balance. The save points are sparse and the game play is tedious. Tbh I could forgive most of this if the graphics were at least decent but jeebuz they are terrible. Unless you are a cutter I would avoid this like the plague.
  77. Apr 26, 2014
    To be honest I can't really name any things that are made bad or even mediocre in this game. The visuals are very nice and stylish (just use DSCfix), the music and sounds are great, the battle system is very well balanced and simply awesome, the lore and is fantastic (though you need to dig through side materials like wiki pages, but it's worth it), the atmosphere is really depressing, theTo be honest I can't really name any things that are made bad or even mediocre in this game. The visuals are very nice and stylish (just use DSCfix), the music and sounds are great, the battle system is very well balanced and simply awesome, the lore and is fantastic (though you need to dig through side materials like wiki pages, but it's worth it), the atmosphere is really depressing, the controls are good (BUT only if you use a gamepad). The game is pretty hard, everyone knows that, but it is not impossible, you just need to have some skills in it, if you learn on your mistakes - you will be victorious in Dark Souls. Well, there are some minor details I didn't like - for example - you can kill or be killed hitting through a wall. But overall, the game is great, I understand all the hype and praise it gets. The sloppy port was greatly fixed, so the gamers rank here is way too low. Expand
  78. Apr 26, 2014
    Although a semi-decent console port on PC, the stellar game design still pulls it through. Probably got away with it for being a small cult game initially. One of my all-time favourite.
  79. Apr 26, 2014
    Back in the day i didnt write a review for this game because it would be another 0, so I just thought "let it be, its not worth the rant, the game is unplayable and takes the bad pc porting to a whole new level, people will struggle to play it and the result will be all the same, low score for the controls high score for the gameplay, no need to punish it", but something happened that madeBack in the day i didnt write a review for this game because it would be another 0, so I just thought "let it be, its not worth the rant, the game is unplayable and takes the bad pc porting to a whole new level, people will struggle to play it and the result will be all the same, low score for the controls high score for the gameplay, no need to punish it", but something happened that made me notice that it had to be punished: The sequel came out. When I bought the first one (this game) It was the worst pc port I had EVER played (and thats saying something): Locked internal resolution (1024 x 720) and FPS (30fps), bad performance, CTDs, unskippable cutscenes and logos (which rapidly becomes a problem if your game crashes often and takes one full minute to restart only for it to crash again), and for the love of god! no keyboard and mouse functionality, as in the mouse didnt even had a chance in this game, and rebindible keys? be lucky with them, on top of some input lag that set the foundation to a horrible experience. But then, hours after my purchase one man, ONE TRULY DEVOTED MAN fixed a lot of the issues releasing a quickfix that let you set internal resolution, fps unlock, skip the cutscenes and logos, and somehow made the flickering graphics and CTDs I was experiencing go away. Then another man joined him and made a fix for the mouse making it fully playable with just minor inconveniences (negative mouse acceleration was still there). And It was hen that I started to have a damn good time. The game itself was good and nostalgic. It was like one of those unforgiving dungeon RPGs from my childhood, but with nice graphics (thanks to the savior who made the fix) and great inmersion. The game ended up being really enjoyable for me, so I bought the second one yesterday thinking that the huge backlash would have been enough for them not to make the same mistakes... Well, not the same mistakes were made, some of the issues were fixed, but it came with a whole new mix of old problems and new problems that make the game again a bad, uncomfortable experience, almost unplayable. That made me realize that thjis scores even if pointless, those "Its unplayable have a nice 0" people (and me) have been giving are completely necessary so these thing wont become a cycle. I'm getting a refund on DS2, and I will state that though I had a great time with this game, it was only thanks to the fans, who made the game possible, since the company sold an unplayable piece of garbage. Thats why I'm giving this game what it deserved in the first place. Expand
  80. Apr 24, 2014
    Dark Souls is an unique gaming experience, and I'm glad I give it a second chance.
    I started playing it at release in 2012 but fast getting frustrated and bored after about 20 hours.
    With Dark Souls 2 close to release I decided to give it another try and what can I say? I love it now ! This time I was mutch more careful, I prepared myself for every encounter and take my time when I
    This time I was mutch more careful, I prepared myself for every encounter and take my time when I arrived at a new area.
    In consequence of that I died a lot less what led to less frustration and less repetition.
    I think the main problem for a lot of gamer nowadays is that we not longer used to this kind of slow paced gameplay. Your decisions have always impact in the world of Dark Souls. The atmosphere and the level / enemy design is great, combat is challenging and the voice acting is out of this world.
    Would give probably a 9 but the terrible frame-rate issues cost DS a point (even with mods).
  81. Apr 24, 2014
    Dear God the port is awful but you know what? If you have a game-pad the horrible port can be set aside as it works just as well as it would on a console (with a few minor issues). Regardless of the terrible port this game is a stunningly beautiful, dark and deeply enticing masterpiece that is a must buy for any RPG fan!
  82. Apr 20, 2014
    This review is for the fully modded PC version.
    This review is for the fully modded PC version.
    The modded version of this game is an adult RPG masterpiece. This game is the ultimate thinking mans rpg. The game has a great look and feel to it. The combat is tough and best used with a gamepad. The sound and the voice acting are really unique. I would have given the game a 10 if it wasn't for its bizarre and tough to follow story. Don't be scared off by the toughness of this game. Follow the path of least resistance and you'll be fine.
  83. Apr 20, 2014
    A lot of the problems of the port are gone! There is a mod that fixes the camera (my biggest issue actually), the resolution and even improves the visuals - the game actually looks better than on consoles. The controls are not bad, really. Yeah, it will take a while to get used to if you're new to the game, but honestly, it's not that bad. The game is perfectly playable with keyboard andA lot of the problems of the port are gone! There is a mod that fixes the camera (my biggest issue actually), the resolution and even improves the visuals - the game actually looks better than on consoles. The controls are not bad, really. Yeah, it will take a while to get used to if you're new to the game, but honestly, it's not that bad. The game is perfectly playable with keyboard and mouse, and I actually prefer it over a controller. If you don't believe me, look up "Dark Souls Mouse Fix". It makes the camera control with the mouse super smooth. In fact, in my personal experience keyboard+mouse controls are more precise that those of controllers.

As far as the game itself, there is not much to say asides from it being a complete masterpiece. Fun and addictive combat. Mysterious, dark atmosphere, cool environments. And an intriguing storyline, the presentation of which is very, very unique. The game is very challenging, and yeah, some aspects of it can be quite difficult, especially if you're new to the game.

In short, an amazing, epic journey that you will not easily forget. Getting used to the somewhat untraditional keyboard controls is IMO a small sacrifice for the privilege of experiencing this masterpiece.
  84. Apr 17, 2014
    The PC port is something to laugh at, but that is soon fixed by DSFix, DSCFix and possibly a few texture mods (really not needed though). The lore is fantastic, the locations are fast, the enemies are well designed and tough, and the online-play is absolutely marvellous; and designed to such a great degree. Oh, and make sure to be using a controller - an Xbox one for best results.The PC port is something to laugh at, but that is soon fixed by DSFix, DSCFix and possibly a few texture mods (really not needed though). The lore is fantastic, the locations are fast, the enemies are well designed and tough, and the online-play is absolutely marvellous; and designed to such a great degree. Oh, and make sure to be using a controller - an Xbox one for best results.

Overall a fantastic game. Definitely worth getting on the PC.
  85. Apr 12, 2014
    i worried before playing this game
    coz of i heard Dark Souls is so Difficult Game..
    and i played and felt
    yeah its so difficult so Hard~
    but Amazing Funny!
  86. Apr 5, 2014
    Is there a worst console port? The keys you are asked to press only suit the xbox controller and you spend half an hour derping over the keyboard trying to learn how to equip a thing. The graphics look bad and there are only FOUR options in the video optimization tab(two of which are the resolution and fullscreen on/off). What a way to treat PC fans.
  87. Apr 1, 2014
    It's a horrible port and a game specifically made for the restrictions of a console. That being said, in hindsight it was worth all the headaches. It took me a few hours to get this game working properly on a PC with an azerty keyboard. After all that, the controls were still subpar and every gameplay tip was displayed with the controller keys in mind. I still wanted to experience thisIt's a horrible port and a game specifically made for the restrictions of a console. That being said, in hindsight it was worth all the headaches. It took me a few hours to get this game working properly on a PC with an azerty keyboard. After all that, the controls were still subpar and every gameplay tip was displayed with the controller keys in mind. I still wanted to experience this game because of all the good things I heard about it.

After playing it for a few days, I can safely say that not just the port but also the difficulty of the entire game is vastly overrated. A lot of the difficulty comes down to quirks and limitations of the game mechanics and controls. Weapons hitting walls but no option to stab instead of swing, extremely bad hitboxes especially in some Boss battles, horrible camera angles and so on. Worst of all was the horrific targeting system. No self respecting PC gamer should be forced to use something as dumb and simplifying as an auto targeting system. If I played careful and focused, I rarely died more than once to a Boss mechanic or even a certain area. Atleast for me, a lot of the difficulty was artificial and it all came down to game and console limitations. I would have prefered if they would have added save points right before Boss battles, it's not a challenge to walk back to a Boss everytime you died, it's a waste of time. I have played RPG's that were, with the right difficulty settings, just as hard as this game but didn't have these annoying limitations.

All these annoying quirks aside, the game is actually pretty solid. Engaging combat mechanics (despite the hitboxes on Bosses), great atmosphere, a very mysterious and hostile environment and some fun RPG elements. If you can ignore all those annoying things and persist till you can atleast manage the crappy controls, it's an addictive game. It can indeed be a frustrating experience, especially with the controls, but it wasn't the (partially artificial) difficulty that stood out to me. It was the engaging world, fun combat and the appeal of slow but steady progress.
  88. Mar 30, 2014
    I actually admire a game that challenges its players but Dark Souls goes too far. It often feels like you are not fighting the characters in the game but the game itself. The Controls are sloppy, even on a 360 controller, and many times you wind up doing something you didn't want to do. Beware of any form of combat on a precarious position, for you may end up performing an attack onI actually admire a game that challenges its players but Dark Souls goes too far. It often feels like you are not fighting the characters in the game but the game itself. The Controls are sloppy, even on a 360 controller, and many times you wind up doing something you didn't want to do. Beware of any form of combat on a precarious position, for you may end up performing an attack on accident that will cause you to fall to your death (this happens A LOT). There is no guidance in the game, so besides hacking bad guy after bad guy, I have no idea what I am doing. All enemies (except bosses) re spawn whenever you rest at a bonfire, removing any satisfaction from killing them. The comment system with which other players can leave warnings/adivce in your world is either useless or hurtful because they are so limited that you have no idea what they are talking about until after you have encountered the enemy ( some jerks put a "try jumping" hint near a cliff just to make you fall). Upon death, your re spawn at your bonfire, meaning that you lose all your souls AND enemies re spawn too, which could lead to an infinite loop of death...besides all this, it is still a fun game, just frustrating and difficult. The difficulty wouldn't be so bad if you could fight it, but since half of the problem is with the game itself you cant. Expand
  89. Mar 29, 2014
    Port issues and me being late to the online party this was supposed to be... apart, this game is what many games should strive to be. The game is a real challenge, as you may have heard, since it's pretty much its selling point, but even if it's so hard I think it still manages to do so being absolutely fair, with a good mix of trial and error and literally testing your reflexes (unlessPort issues and me being late to the online party this was supposed to be... apart, this game is what many games should strive to be. The game is a real challenge, as you may have heard, since it's pretty much its selling point, but even if it's so hard I think it still manages to do so being absolutely fair, with a good mix of trial and error and literally testing your reflexes (unless you are not dodging). But oh, is this game so much more. Save for a few forgettable exceptions, the intro and the endings, this game is a constant stream of gameplay never interrupted, that doesn't "tell" you any story, but rather makes it happen as you exist in its world, at times so indirectly that you may miss parts of it! It has solid theming: the duality of life and death contained in the element of fire, recurring throughout the game as a source of both of those things. Atmosphere and graphics: well crafted and beautiful, almonst inseparable from the setting itself for how well they are integrated. As for the gameplay itself, I don't think I'm able to explain very well the genre other than saying it's an action RPG, but here's some things that are damn worth mentioning: farming doesn't make the game easy; farming is still a challenge and therefore shouldn't even be called like that, apart from some of the initial weapons no gear in this game is "useless" or just for the early game; almost literally everything is viable in PvE (in PvP I can't really tell, I'm pretty sure it's at least better than any other overcentralized metagame given the variety I've seen, but certainly not everything is recommended) thanks to the scaling and upgrading system, thus avoiding that typical rpg situation in which you keep dropping useless things with a grey name that don't help neither for vendors nor immersion and no one likes to see in their inventory; every type of weapon is a different playstyle and there's tons of space for customization (see viability)! Add to all of this incredible package a gimmicky, original online mode that will keep you connected to the internet without actually using it except at random intervals to make the player sessions interact with each other to either help (through warning messages you can leave on the ground, summoning players for cooperation) or for added difficulty, in the case of being "invaded" by a player that will hunt you down for a reward. It's just amazing on so many levels that, as you can see, the only way to say how good it is is to actually say what the game is! Talk about self explanatory. Expand
  90. Mar 25, 2014
    Really Excellent game.... Something that provides a challenge for a person. it also teaches a person patience and that is key for completing the game.
  91. Mar 24, 2014
    Prepare to die edition? more like "prepare your anus for Moby dick edition". Where can i start explaining how bad this game is? Oh i know, lets start with the random basketball mecnahnics... why were they added to this golf game? secondly, everyone is an idiot except for me and Squilliam fancy pants. finally, the whole world can suck my mars bar with there massive fish lips you stupidPrepare to die edition? more like "prepare your anus for Moby dick edition". Where can i start explaining how bad this game is? Oh i know, lets start with the random basketball mecnahnics... why were they added to this golf game? secondly, everyone is an idiot except for me and Squilliam fancy pants. finally, the whole world can suck my mars bar with there massive fish lips you stupid nostril hairs. Expand
  92. Mar 21, 2014
    First game I ever give a 10/10 to so far on metacritic! This game triumphs in so many areas:

1. RPG... you do feel like you are playing a character and NPC reponses to you are so varied and customized to your situation that you really feel like you are talking to real people! Even though you never spoke in the game, how the NPCs react to you truly feels like you are having a conversation without the need for any conversation choices!

2. Graphics... dark and gloomy design along with the music to bring out the mood of despair and desperation... the occassional appearance of other online player's spook truly made the world feel real and alive with horror. This is the first time I feel so engrossed in a game world... the feeling of this world is the complete opposite to the feeling of Divinity series.

3. Combat... lumberous and frustrating at first but once you get used to it, its extremely realistic to real life combat. I find myself respecting and actually circling for opportunities to attack a simple zombie when I would have graciously rushed hordes of them in other games. The enemies are not generic models that does basically the same things. Every enemy and their variations have their unique combat characteristics and sometimes throw moves that will surprise you!

4. Replayability... yes, this is one game that makes you replay a certain area tens or even hundreds of times by dying and resurrecting at a bon fire. This may feel frustrating at first but the fact that everytime you go back to the bon fire, you are actually getting better and stronger makes it very satisfying.

All in all, I am surprised by how awesome this game is and I wonder why I hadn't played it before even though I bought it at a discount a long time ago! MUST TRY!
  93. Mar 17, 2014
    My experience is a perfect 10/10. Loved the game on Xbox and for me having a PC port is brilliant as it opens up all sorts of options like a HD texture pack and just generally better performance and graphics. I understand other people whinging about it being a bad port - and I guess it is, a controller is recommended and when you get past the Windows Live integration it's FINE. But for me,My experience is a perfect 10/10. Loved the game on Xbox and for me having a PC port is brilliant as it opens up all sorts of options like a HD texture pack and just generally better performance and graphics. I understand other people whinging about it being a bad port - and I guess it is, a controller is recommended and when you get past the Windows Live integration it's FINE. But for me, I loved everything about it. :) Expand
  94. Mar 16, 2014
    Sword and Enemys...perfect mixture. Alike Witcher, Dark Souls is a solid game. A few weeks ago got DS (75% off). Before playing i got always a: Too hard...well really is that hard on begin...but at sometime u will learn that a good pair sword and shield will not influence that much on game.

Most impórtant is strategy after learning enemies is their modus operandi. After it u can enjoy DS. At very beggining it will die until learn that. So a tip id give...learn then after it kill
  95. TSB
    Mar 12, 2014
    Good game in general .
    THE GOOD : Great gameplay- very good boss fight - challenging game - world design is nice .
    THE BAD : bad port you will need DSfix to get better res and texture - the story telling is not good - almost no sound track .
  96. Mar 11, 2014
    You're going to die, you're going to want to throw things across the room and that's the point of buying this game. I love challenge, but I love challenge that comes from the game itself.

The poor porting to the PC version leaves much to be desired. Controls are non-intuitive and difficult to understand. I got it on sale over Steam so it was a great deal for the playtime that I got out of it, I just wish I wasn't fighting the controls and interface as much as the impossible monsters and bosses in the game.
  97. Mar 11, 2014
    I had lots of fun with Dark Souls but I also got very frustrated at times. It has everything a good RPG should have. It also has some annoying repetition and grinding.

The world is fun to explore, the enemies and environments interesting and varied enough to encourage you to go on just to see what's next. The world is progressively unlocked just by building your character until they can triumph where once they had been beaten to a pulp. I found it very satisfying to beat an area which had been much to hard for me a day ago.

There's always something on the horizon goading you on - a boss you couldn't kill, a weapon you can't quite use properly, an item you can see off in the distance but can't reach. This all works very nicely to keep you playing without getting bored.

Some more good points: there are no endless conversation trees, there's actually very little dialogue at all; enemies don't speak, so no repeated one liners; the difficulty curve keeps you challenged but not stuck (generally).

BUT, and this is a big stinky but(t), I didn't like having to trek back through the same area with the same enemies every sodding time a boss killed me. I'd often spend longer getting to a boss than actually fighting it. This game could benefit immeasurably from a simple "Restart Boss?" button. This isn't a gripe at the difficulty, I like that the bosses are big and tough and can crush you with their pinky finger, because then I feel I've earned their XP etc. when I finally beat them. I just don't see why I need to fight the same small enemies ad nauseam just to get another round. "OK," I said "time to go grind some levels."

I don't like grinding: a game should be fun, not work, and I don't buy into the thinking that if you haven't spent long enough murdering the same helpless group of enemies then you don't deserve to see the rest of the game you paid good money for. In this game you'll have to grind for XP and materials to improve weapons and armour. All that stuff should stay in the realms of MMORPGs where I don't have to go anywhere near it.

These points fit with the lore but the lore shouldn't detract from game play - that's just pretentious and poor design.

Overall a very good RPG which suffers from two very prominent annoyances.
  98. Mar 11, 2014
    A genuinely amazing game. From the incredibly lonely and crushing atmosphere, the amazing soundtrack that ranges from subtle to bombastic, to the satisfying combat and fantastic sense of accomplishment that the game offers - Dark Souls has it all. This is perhaps the most important game of the 7th generation of consoles.
  99. Mar 11, 2014
    This is absolutely the worst game in existence i have no idea what kind of complete moron reviews this game and finds it "enjoyable" it is a game that aims to anger and does so again and again, if you are some kind of masochistic then this is the game for you, otherwise ignore what your friends say, ignore the reviews the only explanation i can possibly think for this horrendous game toThis is absolutely the worst game in existence i have no idea what kind of complete moron reviews this game and finds it "enjoyable" it is a game that aims to anger and does so again and again, if you are some kind of masochistic then this is the game for you, otherwise ignore what your friends say, ignore the reviews the only explanation i can possibly think for this horrendous game to get such great reviews is that this is some kind of sick internet joke. Expand
  100. Mar 7, 2014
    I really can't understand why this game is so acclaimed. Graphics are crap (looks like PS2), controls & gameplay are really bad, pc port is the worst ever. I'm trying to say something good about this game but I can't find it. The high difficulty is the "big point" of the game is not something that makes me wonder. So avoid it as fast as you can, don't give it a chance like I did. Wait forI really can't understand why this game is so acclaimed. Graphics are crap (looks like PS2), controls & gameplay are really bad, pc port is the worst ever. I'm trying to say something good about this game but I can't find it. The high difficulty is the "big point" of the game is not something that makes me wonder. So avoid it as fast as you can, don't give it a chance like I did. Wait for DS2 to be something at least playable. Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    The irony is that the PC version could have been much better than the PS3/360 ones, with higher resolutions to make the textures look better, a cornucopia of mods and/or an active (in theory at least) community. But FROM ruined it all (with the assistance of Games for Windows Live). It’s a shame really, if we at least had just a decent port (or a better infrastructure for a less appalling multiplayer mode), Dark Souls could have been one of the best RPG for the PC. [November 2012]
  2. Nov 19, 2012
    Not often do you see a game that is equally rewarding as it is frustrating; and it's not because the game is unfair.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 29, 2012
    Dark Souls returns the hardcore elements back to action RPGs – heavy focus on uncompromising fight mechanics and absolute freedom in hero profiling. The price of this game is not for everyone. [Oct 2012]