- Summary: With tense dungeon crawling and fearsome enemy encounters, the seamlessly intertwined world of Dark Souls is full of extreme battles, rewarding challenges, nuanced weaponry and magic, and the flexibility to customize each character to suit any desired play style. The innovative onlineWith tense dungeon crawling and fearsome enemy encounters, the seamlessly intertwined world of Dark Souls is full of extreme battles, rewarding challenges, nuanced weaponry and magic, and the flexibility to customize each character to suit any desired play style. The innovative online component allows gamers to draw from the collective experience of the Dark Souls community as they either help or sabotage each other on the journey through the world of Lordran to save the land from darkness. With a massive, seamless open world design, Dark Souls encourages deep exploration and an adaptable gameplay experience.… Expand
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Autoplay On Off
Sep 17, 2012If you're not prepared to implement the tweaks and fixes mentioned in this review, then you should stay away from the game or hunt it down on its native consoles instead. If the previously mentioned 360 Review doesn't describe the sort of game you enjoy, then stay away altogether – not even bug fixes and gameplay tweaks will make this a game you like. But if you're willing to implement a couple fan-made patches and you crave a game that's beautiful, dark, cryptic, challenging and just plain unique in so many ways, grab this game and give it a go.
Game Over OnlineSep 21, 2012This Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is not only the worst console port I've ever played (and I play most of them), it's also one of the worst designed. I mean literally, this game is one step above my character having "lives" and when I run out of those, I'm told to jam quarters into my PC to continue playing. If this is what constitutes a "good console RPG", then I'll sleep soundly at night with the knowledge that I'm not missing a damn thing by not owning a PlayStation 3. I guess I'm alone in understanding this, but supposed difficulty is not a substitute for intelligent design. Dark Souls proves that.
Jul 28, 2016Love it. Might be my favourite game ever.
Yeah, the port is dodgy. Download the mods, get a controller, and prepare to give a few hundredLove it. Might be my favourite game ever.
Yeah, the port is dodgy. Download the mods, get a controller, and prepare to give a few hundred hours to this amazing game.
It's such a unique experience, with a strange world crammed with character, atmosphere, and creativity.
What's very interesting to me, and I don't think I've experienced this with a game before, is how the consciousness that you develop when playing Dark Souls leaks into the rest of your life, and you find yourself examining reality with a different mindset. That's pretty amazing. I guess YMMV
A challenging, magical, life changing game for me.… Expand
Aug 30, 2012I for once do not own a console. And I am so grateful to Form Software and for those people who signed the petition along with me - now I canI for once do not own a console. And I am so grateful to Form Software and for those people who signed the petition along with me - now I can finally enjoy this masterpiece of a game. I waited for this since Demon's souls first came out on consoles - I wanted to play it so bad, I almost bought a console for a single game! If you're a kid complaining about graphics and bad controls - this game isn't for you, just play some FPS and leave Dark Souls for the people it was intended to. This is not the best PC port for sure, but a cheap $10 gamepad and a resolution patch fix this little issue. The devs themselves recommended that you play on a gamepad - that's fair, I wouldn't want to re-do perfectly working gamepad controls. Just plug in a controller and stop complaining. This game isn't about graphics or keyboard controls - this game will be remembered alongside with diablo 2 as one of the best RPG's of the 21st century. If you're unsure whether or not to buy it - I'd say - If you consider yourself a true RPG fan - that's a must buy. Trust me, I've been playing RPG's since Diablo and Baldur's Gate and Fallout - I know.… Expand
Jan 28, 2015PROS:
- Exploration is great. - Map design is brilliant. - Combat is easy to learn, but hard to master. - Game feels very rewardingPROS:
- Exploration is great.
- Map design is brilliant.
- Combat is easy to learn, but hard to master.
- Game feels very rewarding after beating tough boss/passage.
- Game is fair and does not cheat on you.
- Atmosphere is dark, heavy and keep you tense.
- GFWL is gone, only Steam is needed.
- Challenges can be often beaten by many ways.
- Co-op and interesting multiplayer mechanics.
- Bloodstains of dead players can tell you what killed them.
- Messages from other player to help you/troll you.
- Game can be easily played on keyboard and mouse.
- Game mechanics are not that well explained in game, you should look through a Dark Souls Wiki or a beginners guide.
- Not very interesting story.
- No map, you can get lost sometimes.
- Inventory made for consoles (of course!) and is controlled by keys. (Not a problem after few minutes)
Easy fixable CONS:
- Mouse feels a bit weird, but there are fixes to deal with that. (DSMfix)
- Graphics is outdated, but there are many graphics mods on Dark Souls Nexus.
- FPS, resolution and other things are easily unlockable/modable by DSfix.
I bought a XBOX controller before getting this game. I ditched it after couple of hours, when i discovered that game is easier on K+M. In fact controls are changeable for the keyboard and mouse, but not for controller. Dont believe people complaining about controls and graphics. They are lazy retards, they didnt even bother to do 1minute long google search to fix few things. This is one of the best games i have ever played.… Expand
Oct 21, 2012Dark Souls is just awesome. If you're not patient or careful enough, you die, and it feels unfair when you die (except for a certain bridgeDark Souls is just awesome. If you're not patient or careful enough, you die, and it feels unfair when you die (except for a certain bridge with a dragon that breathes fire). Whenever I kill a boss or go through a harrowingingly long trek to get to the next bonfire(checkpoint) I get all shaky and it's really exhilarating to feel that kind of fear. The atmosphere is depressing and a lot of the places are dark and foreboding and do well to make you feel the hopelessness of the world. The one problem this version has is the graphics. by default it's stuck at 720p, but there's a fix. It's called DSfix and its currently at version 1.7. It lets you set it to any resolution you want and also allows you to unlock the framerate which is stuck at 30fps by default. Overall this is a really fun and challenging game and I would definitely recommend it.… Expand
Nov 6, 2013Meh. I'm not giving this game low scores because it's difficult. I bought the game knowing it is difficult, and I wanted challenge. I wantedMeh. I'm not giving this game low scores because it's difficult. I bought the game knowing it is difficult, and I wanted challenge. I wanted to experience the sensation of getting better. But unfortunately the game did not appeal to me as much as I thought it would. While it plays well with a controller, the game seems very small and lacking in many aspects. Feels dull and boring. There's no direction to anything you do in the game, it's just... mindless. I guess there is some kind of lore hidden in the game, but it's not worth looking for to be honest. I bought the game from Steam, played it for 6 hours and was pretty much done with it.… Expand
Aug 18, 2014Could be a good game, could be a bad game. I don't know, because Microsoft live, or Xbox live or whatever that bollocks is called, is so ****Could be a good game, could be a bad game. I don't know, because Microsoft live, or Xbox live or whatever that bollocks is called, is so **** every time I attempt to play, I get so annoyed by the **** DRM, I have to uninstall.… Expand
- (2 views)
Awards & Rankings
- By user score