DARK PC

4.2

1. Aug 11, 2013
    This game gets bashed mainly because the company doesn't have fanboys. Game has outstanding visuals, great core concept focused around stealth and more.

Don't believe the negatives, most are upset that its not another cod or god of war.

My version has outstanding A.I. maybe the critics just don't have the rigs to handle this beast.
  2. Aug 18, 2013
    Dark is not that bad as people are reviewing it. It's very entertaining and definitely for you if you liked Vampire the Masquerade Redemption. In the very beginning you'll be told that Eric needs to drink proper elder blood in order to transform to a fully vampire and if not he'll change to a ghoul. That's a motivator to start hunting stonger and stronger vampires. The good thing is youDark is not that bad as people are reviewing it. It's very entertaining and definitely for you if you liked Vampire the Masquerade Redemption. In the very beginning you'll be told that Eric needs to drink proper elder blood in order to transform to a fully vampire and if not he'll change to a ghoul. That's a motivator to start hunting stonger and stronger vampires. The good thing is you can advance your skills at anytime if you've got enough xp. The key is to choose correct skills first to make the game easier, be stealthy trough the level and collect PDAs on the way. These actions will give you extra xp and make the game actually very fun to play. I finished Dark in 2,5 days and would have liked to play it alot more. I hope they make sequal for this Great game. Expand
  3. Aug 2, 2013
    I've been an avid Thief and Hitman gamer since those games hit the market and I love stealth games. When I saw the cover art of Dark it immediately reminded me of Thief, the reviews however made me hesitant. After really wanting to like Remember Me and realizing that the game sucked, I didn't wanted to be disappointed again, yet I don't judge a book by its cover (or other reviews) and gaveI've been an avid Thief and Hitman gamer since those games hit the market and I love stealth games. When I saw the cover art of Dark it immediately reminded me of Thief, the reviews however made me hesitant. After really wanting to like Remember Me and realizing that the game sucked, I didn't wanted to be disappointed again, yet I don't judge a book by its cover (or other reviews) and gave it a shot.

I was pleasantly surprised. The game uses a cell shaded look, probably to hide the fact that the developers didn't have high-quality textures available. In the end the game gave a very even look without mushy and pixelated textures, so I guess they achieved their goal.

This is a low budget title and for what it is, I found it to be impressive. The voice actors are generally okay, only some of them delivered a cringe worthy performance, but nothing too bad to make you turn off the game. The audio engine itself lacks the ability to dampen sound in relation of the player's distance to the sound emitting object, so if you talk to someone and move away the speech will not be muffled. Also, there's no positional audio. The latter isn't really needed, but the former is just a necessity for modern games.

As people have already pointed out, the animations are not always up to par, mainly those for blood sucking, but most of them do look realistic enough to enjoy the game. I played the game on hard and tried to avoid alarms and found the game to be easy, yet enjoyable. Apparently people are split on the difficulty as is apparent from some reviews here. Some find it too hard, but then there's a reason for having a difficulty setting. Also, some people seemed to have struggled, because they couldn't adapt to the gameplay necessary to get the most out of the game.

FMVs were crisp and not the pixelated mess I usually get to see from big titles. The story had me roll my eyes at the beginning, but after a while I kind of warmed up to it. The story isn't actually bad, just the way the lay it out feels kind of clumsy at times, but that's what to be expected from a budget title. I've got the feeling that if the game would have had the kind of money in the back the big companies can spend, then this would have been the start of a new IP. May be it still is. After all, other games with similarly limited gameplay and storytelling (the first Call of Juarez comes to mind) managed to step it up tremendously in the sequel.

I found the gameplay to be quite addictive. The first level didn't really click with me. Mostly, because I didn't really have a clue which situations to expect and which powers to upgrade, but by the second level I was really enjoying the game. I was powered up enough to do cool stunts and take out enemies effectively. Also, later on the game manages to keep things fresh by challenging the player with ever new situations forcing you to explore new tactics (if you want to keep it alarm-free that is).

Also, the level design was pretty good. The levels are huge without loading zones. There are plenty of details, so the game doesn't feel empty. All in all, the game creates a believable world. There are shortcomings though. Apart from the superficial ones I mentioned, there some gripes with gameplay. In level 2 there's a section where while you're trying to take out a guard a cutscene will interfere. The game tries to incorporate sound by using littered floor as sound source which you should try to avoid. Thief implemented this a whole lot better. They could have left that feature out for all I care since it's barely game defining and only rarely encountered. Your attacks and actions create sounds too and those are traceable by the enemy. Too bad there's no indicator how much you're audible. At least they found a clever way to indicate visibility. Whenever an enemy starts to spot you, a circle appears that goes from green to red. If you manage to break line of sight before it's red you're safe. Simple but efficient. The game made several hints that shadows have an impact on visibility, but neither does it explain this feature, nor will you encounter many shadows. While the game uses light and shadows throughout, they don't seem to play a role and if they do, I didn't need to stick to the shadows to beat it.

All in all I have to say I liked the game. It offers replay value: I can't wait for a second run through to beat it even more perfectly, now that I know what to expect. Ghosting through the levels will also be fun especially with the teleport power and so will be a violent playthrough where I can ignore stealth completely and take enemies head on.

Is it a genre defining game? No.
    Was it fun to play? You bet!
    Did I feel I wasted my time? No!

Even with more advanced stealth games around, there are still far too few to cater to the genre and this game sure does give fans of the genre some fun before Thief 4 comes around. As simple as it is, as enjoyable is it. You need a knack for patience and stealth though.
  4. Jul 23, 2013
    Bought the game with a low expectations ive played others similar games and didnt believe it would live up to them. the game is a simple graphic like borderlands with low needs which makes it good for all users to have a chance of playing. now there are alot of bad reviews, ive played this game multi-times the story is good and has many twists. you never know what to except, the plotBought the game with a low expectations ive played others similar games and didnt believe it would live up to them. the game is a simple graphic like borderlands with low needs which makes it good for all users to have a chance of playing. now there are alot of bad reviews, ive played this game multi-times the story is good and has many twists. you never know what to except, the plot developers did a great job building each chapter and characters. i wish the characters had more a story behind them to show why there personality and quirks where the way they are however, the way the story develops through 2-3 days as the main character tries to save his life its understandable. bottom line its a game (even with some glitches like most games) to play as long as you have a open mind and dont get angry quickly. it seems most of these reviews were because they had difficulty sneaking and killing hordes of enemies. Expand
  5. Jul 21, 2013
    In my opinion, this game does deserve a warmer welcome from players and reviewers. Of course, it has some flaws and doesn't look much polished in a way you could expect from an AAA game (which is not).
    But, in many ways, it tries to make things well :
    - The gameplay is pretty interesting and intuitive, while - The level design is overall well-suited to the powers and abilities you just
    But, in many ways, it tries to make things well :
    - The gameplay is pretty interesting and intuitive, while
    - The level design is overall well-suited to the powers and abilities you just unlocked in the previous area. It offers a good verticality as well ("shadow leap" ability)
    - Moreover, the Rpg-style Xp points system gives you several possibilities of achievement with pretty cool powers showing well balanced cooldowns and potentials.
    - The graphics are really not bad for a cel-shaded game, but the characters' animations look rigid.
    - The storyline is pretty basic and uninteresting, but at least it lets you visit different places and stalk different preys.
    Overall, this game reminds me of "Batman Arkham Asylum" challenge maps, where you try to blend into the background while spotting and then swooping on your preys in different arenas.

it doesn't take long to reach the credits page, but overall the game was fun for me despite its flaws. I think it should be sold 15-20
  6. Jul 5, 2013
    Its an honest game with great ideas and some flaws. At first i was stuck in the club because i didn't know what to do. But it is fun, when it starts at the outside area of a museum, you get yourself remembered of the great game Dishonored by having access to the magic teleportation power to wipe out enemies in a split second. I liked it.
  7. Jul 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a fun game. The controls were a little difficult at first but I got the hang of them pretty quick. The voice acting was also a bit abrasive at first as well but as the story progressed, I got more into it.

The game actually does get considerably more interesting as you go on and things get a lot cooler as you unlock more powers. I also enjoyed the challenge of sneaking around, though I would have enjoyed the option of some combat. I suppose the creators wanted to keep us focused on sneaking instead of fighting. Other things I would have changed would be the boss fight at the end (this would require a combat mechanic), and the length of the game. It gets really cool near the end and then it ends... I can't help but feel that it could have used some Metal Gear feel in it.

In any case, I'm up for a replay. I enjoyed sneaking around and causing havoc from the shadows.
  8. Jul 9, 2013
    If you enjoy challenging stealth and figuring out patrol routes in the most efficient killing manner possible, you will love this game. I happen to like a challenge (most of the complaints below are from people who don't, btw) so restarting a checkpoint 15 times before I got it just right was OK. As it happens, if you choose your abilities wisely, you can make it MUCH easier, so thoseIf you enjoy challenging stealth and figuring out patrol routes in the most efficient killing manner possible, you will love this game. I happen to like a challenge (most of the complaints below are from people who don't, btw) so restarting a checkpoint 15 times before I got it just right was OK. As it happens, if you choose your abilities wisely, you can make it MUCH easier, so those poor peeps who hated on this really missed out on it getting easier with skillful progression. It never crashed, never had poor framerates, and I found it thoroughly enjoyable. If you liked the hard levels of thief and still found that to be a great game, you will probably like this. Also, one more note about checkpoints in general, i HATE them. However, they give you 2 freebie anytime saves that you can use between those checkpoints. Don't be silly about when you use them, and you will get the hang of it. It isn't Dishonored, but that's actually a good thing, IMO. That game was incredibly easy, even on hard. This game, however, when you choose hard it IS hard. Expand

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Sep 19, 2013
    Initially a terrible thing that becomes a relatively entertaining stealth action game, if you manage to (literally) bite your way through. Unfortunately, excellent ideas are screwed up by their problematic elaboration. [Issue#232]
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    A work of sulky blandness that does itself no favors by latching onto better games and cooler vampires. [ Nov 2013, p.68]
  3. CD-Action
    Aug 28, 2013
    There are some mildly satisfying moments in Dark, but most of the time you’re stuck between boredom and frustration. [CD-Action 10/2013, p.67]