4.2

1. Jul 15, 2013
    this was most worst piece of rubbish i am sugar coating term of rubbish it polite terms for it. none the less game sucks could they not use better a.i and making the game more cartoonish like the darkness 2 no matter the game they used is like dragon age talking function.

which is repetitive action with term of vampire powers is the worst and trying to lv up ur powers with rpg style.

why was this made i thought the trailer they gave us look alright then game play sucked ass

trust me dont buy it
  2. Jul 5, 2013
    *YAWN* only thing i see in this game is stealth... you go sneaking around corners and junk. Stealth is pretty cool but throughout the entire game though? That IMO is terribly lame.. Game is pretty much a failure since there is pretty much no mixture of anything. Don't think about comparing this with dishonored either, dishonored is an FPS this game is a 3rd person shooter so two completely different games and dishonored was so much better than this crap. Gonna give it just a 1 since the GFX are'nt half bad. Expand
  3. Jul 25, 2013
    I had very low expectations and even that i was disappointed. When you see a trailer of this game you can already feel that something is not right. And its true, It has some good elements but there are so many mistakes and so many things copied from other games, trough game you will find yourself saying, i saw this in another game and this in that game etc. Not a total blow but still not good.
  4. Aug 12, 2013
    Dark is a stealth based game by Kalypso Media where you play as Eric Bane a vampire with several powers who must use his abilities defeat his enemies human and vampire alike. This is a game that seeks to mimic the styling of Assassins Creed and the darkness of Dishonored, but unfortunately due to several major flaws fails to live up to the fun or polish of either game.

Dark is a stealth
    based RPG that promises a deep and engaging story with unique settings and abilities all of which is set in the dark and forboding world of vampires. Your abilities are fueled by the energy you consume from your victims and your objective is to use your powers to make your way through the areas and reach your goal. Unfortunately there are more than a few problem this game has when attempting to make good on these promise of a deep and immersive world with challenging gameplay.

Visit www.GameFan365.com for the full review
  5. Aug 31, 2013
    This game tries extraordinarily hard to be vampire: the masquerade. Don't get me wrong VTM had its own flaws and bugs but Dark was no where in the ballpark. The number one concern in my opinion that should have been an easy fix is the dialog acting like its being skipped, this gets very agitating at times. The gameplay is also a bit shoddy. Honestly this is a game no one will even remember a year from now. It will not go down in the books. Avoid paying for this game and skip onto the next, If you want an immersive and fun RPG/FPS vampire game than play bloodlines. Its almost 10 years old and can whoop dark's arse. Expand
  6. Jul 5, 2013
    Hate to echo many others, but this game fell flat on it's face. I was really looking forward to this game(About as much as one can as an inherent skeptic). With a game I have mixed feelings about I'd normally start off with what's good and what's bad, but all the good parts are kinda "Meh" and rather unlikable. So we'll just skip to the bad.

The voice acting, as has been said, feels
    like it goes from one sentence to the next with no pause inbetween.It feels like the skip button is pushed half a second before the sentence /should/ end.

The gameplay is repetitive. You do the same 3 "kill" moves over and over, and worst of all, the ragdoll physics can go completely bonkers on 2 of them. I've had it happen 4 times to me where I'll flip kick or just super-vampire-deck someone over a ledge, only for their body to be discovered and everyone within earshot is looking for me.

My footsteps while running sound like I'm wearing clogs. and are about 20x louder than anyone else. "Preternaturally silent footsteps" my @$$.

They also mislabeled this game. It's not "Stealth Action", It's just "Stealth". Once you're discovered you're quickly riddled with bullets. You have a couple powers at your disposal but they really don't do anything for you when you only have 4 blood points to throw around and every room has a dozen or more enemies.

I want to like this game. I REALLY do, but nothing stands out except the bad. I love vampire lore, I love stealth games, I'm a huge fan of Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption and Bloodlines. I expected this to expand off of 2 excellent games or at the very least, take pointers from them. I guess I'll go back to waiting for a vampire game that will actually deliver. As it stands this is just a bad ripoff of Dishonored. Giving it a 3. I'm sure the desperate among us for a vampire or stealth game will enjoy the game, but those of us that see past that will be sorely disappointed.
  7. Jul 4, 2013
    The game looked cool, and I bought it before the release. Started playing, the characters have that bold lines like borderlands, I like that.

After some minutes, the dialogues started, but they dont feel natural. When one person finishes what he/she was saying, the other one starts it like when you are pressing a buttom to skip dialogues. That's a bit odd.

The gameplay isnt something
    new. If you played Dishonored, you'll feel familiar with the game. One let down is that you can only either instantly kill your enemy or suck blood to get "mana" to use powers.
    The enemies arent really smart, they follow the same route, so you just have to wait until they turn and kill them.

In the end, this game could be a success, but it isnt. I'm not saying that this game totally suck, it has some good things, but you should not pay so much for a game when you have better options (Dishonored has better graphics, better mechanics and better story for instance)
  8. Zri
    Jul 9, 2013
    Very decent sneaker with some interesting twists to the genre in the form of different vampire powers. Teleportation, distraction, domination, confusion and even using shadows to kill someone from a distance. The stealth is pretty well done, being comparable to other good sneakers before it like Thief, Splinter Cell and so on. It's let down a little bit in that department by enemies not being able to follow you past area borders, so you can be cheap and run back to the last area until the alarms die down if you screw up (which is tempting with the limited saves per area).

The good parts are that stealth is done very well, if you like Max Payne's noir feel then the story feels quite decent too [see below for a couple of exceptions] and it looks quite pretty with its Borderlands style artwork and some nice lighting effects. When I first saw some of the trailers I was unsure about the combat mechanic of everything being an insta-kill, but they made it work.

The game is let down by a few minor issues: it doesn't really take good advantage of some of the things you can do with the teleport ability like being able to bamf up or down levels in an area. Generally the levels are quite well designed, but given what they let you do, they could have done better in my opinion. Secondly their enemies tend to be quite tightly clustered, meaning it's quite difficult to play with stealth as your primary mechanic and end up having to kill people. I know, you're a vampire, you need blood and stuff, but when presented with a sneaker I feel like I should play it like a sneaker first and a vampire second.

There were two pretty big annoyances in the story. One is the ending being a bit of a let-down, climactically with a super lame boss battle. At least it's short. The second comes right at the beginning when you're told that people who are killed by vampires but not given their sire's blood are destined to become mindless ghouls... then you spend the entire freaking game draining folks of their blood. Perhaps they're planning a followup game where you play the cleanup crew who has to take out the whole mess of ghouls you create.

Anyhow, overall a good short game, probably a bit on the overpriced side. If you dig sneakers wait til it's on sale.
  9. Jul 9, 2013
    In Reach of Greatness

The game has a great premise but the execution lets it down a little. Maybe because of the budget constraints.

All I see when I play the game is an awesome stealth RPG but sadly it never comes into fruition. Main issue is the lack of enough transversal options leaves you flatfooted or cornered very often. The general stealth gameplay is fun and the powers are
    useful. Use of powers is too clunky. Simple jump mantling is sorely missed. Would be great if you could move around the environment with the ease of say dishonored. Graphics are fine if unspectacular. Sound design is generally good. Voice acting is poor to avergage. Other than that the game is enjoyable, but it commits the cardinal sin of leaving you wanting much more, showing you it's potential but never realising it. The approach to stealth is great though. Expand
  10. Nov 8, 2013
    I think this game is worthy of an "8" because while it is not a AAA game and has the LEGENDARY
    Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines game to compete with, it is overall a good game. Not perfect but worth the price.
  11. Jul 25, 2013
    this game starts off with a decent story base, but with out spoiling anything for anyone.... the first 3 missions are incredibly repetitive there literally the same thing just with a different skin..

The powers/ability's are neat some of them once leveled up make getting thru the levels alot easier other wise i recommend you play on easy, normal difficulty seems way to hard and
    incredibly frustrating.

the controls are for lack of a better word lose... they really need tightening up it was incredibly frustrating trying to kill something from a corner crouching position.. oh and god forbid you run up on humans and try to hit them with your vampire awesomeness..... each levels really only about 10-15 minutes long.

you'll likely spend many frustrated hours. this game could have been such a great game if they just put some polish and thought into it.
  12. Jul 4, 2013
    Good sneak game. But there are so many trouble in control n motion. I got a lot of problem to play although I don't have any responsibilities. also, the way to make tactics is too short. If you already play 'Hitman' or 'Dishonored', maybe you can punch your monitor. So my advice is two kinds.

1. Find other sweet infiltration games.

2. wear boxing gloves when you play this.
  13. Jul 4, 2013
    So I bought this game this afternoon, very amped up as I'm a sucker for stealth games. Upon beginning the game, I realised a few things. 1. This feels a lot like Hitman: Blood Money 2. This looks a lot like Walking Dead and 3. This game has managed to combine Hitman and Walking Dead, take all the life and fun from both of them and charge you $40 for it. This game has you playing as a stealthy assassin...vampire. Which is already a poor decision, the devs for this game should've noticed the irreversible pussification of vampires at the hands of the Twilight franchise. As a blood-sucker, you wield, what was said to be an arsenal of powers, is actually about 6 or 7 different powers with 3 or so passive ones, that can aid you in your missions. They are fun to use for about 3 minutes, then they just get boring. This is a grand example of a game that has a brilliant concept and so much potential, but is so poorly executed. Game play is extremely boring and repetitive there's really no motivation for you to keep playing, story is unoriginal and uninteresting, voice acting has been painfully forced with all but one or two characters so far, enemies, rather than looking around for anything suspicious, will walk back and forth between programmed routes, which is more often than not, a bloody straight line, just waiting for you to use the same 2 or 3 animations to kill them. Other than their 'routes', enemies also can't spot you if you are more than 10 metres away from them, or even better, they cannot see you if you are right around the corner...hiding behind a clear glass wall. This game is unfinished. That's really all there is to it. What's worse is the price tag. 40 dollars?! Seriously!? That's insulting. It's frustrating that I'm forced to live in a generation that creates games of this calibre and then prices them like that. My mistake was in buying it on release day, rather than wait for some reviews to come out. Hopefully, you won't make the same mistake I did. Expand
  14. Jul 22, 2013
    The game concept is not bad and it had the potential of being a really good stealth game with a vampire envioroment. However, this game, take my word for it, is really not worth its money. In my opinion, the photoes and trailers of the game shows its few and only good sides, almost tricking you to be intrested in the game.

After playing it for a couple of minutes, you realize how little
    time the developers put into the game. It have the graphics of a fair 2008 game, and the programming of a 2003. Way after in my opinion.

To make it short, because I dont want you to waste your time reading all about this game, because its probably not something you want, unless you like glitchy, buggy, bad animated games.
  15. Jul 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics (not a fan of the Borderlands style) and animation aside the game is a solid stealth game. There are two endings (neither of which explain how Bane will prevent himself from becoming a ghoul). For the most part it played smooth...a few game freezes in the club areas (ctrl alt del fixed it for me easily...didn't even have to reload). The gameplay is the game's strong point..the vampire powers are the highlight...made even more interesting by the fact that you have to feed in order to use them. I was surprised that it was harder than I thought it would be...be warned patience will be required. Expand
  16. Jul 9, 2013
    If you enjoy challenging stealth and figuring out patrol routes in the most efficient killing manner possible, you will love this game. I happen to like a challenge (most of the complaints below are from people who don't, btw) so restarting a checkpoint 15 times before I got it just right was OK. As it happens, if you choose your abilities wisely, you can make it MUCH easier, so those poor peeps who hated on this really missed out on it getting easier with skillful progression. It never crashed, never had poor framerates, and I found it thoroughly enjoyable. If you liked the hard levels of thief and still found that to be a great game, you will probably like this. Also, one more note about checkpoints in general, i HATE them. However, they give you 2 freebie anytime saves that you can use between those checkpoints. Don't be silly about when you use them, and you will get the hang of it. It isn't Dishonored, but that's actually a good thing, IMO. That game was incredibly easy, even on hard. This game, however, when you choose hard it IS hard. Expand
  17. Jul 12, 2013
    DARK is not inherently bad. It is, however, quite bland. The leaders on the market (MGS, SC, Hitman...) all have their own way of approaching stealth. DARK's mechanic is simply bland: stay under cover all the time and study your enemies' route. Then when you've got everything figured out, try not to mess it up.

Thing is, the AI is just too good. It doesn't feel human. Enemies are too
    quick to respond when sighting you, and seem to have quite a wide field of vision (I figured pretty much 180°, which is strange because supposedly you're less visible due to being a vampire).
    Therefore, when even a single guard finds you out, you're pretty much dead. Most stealth games simply have your pursuers forget you and go back to their routine, not DARK. The countdown during which they'll look for you is incredibly long, and I don't think I ever had guards drop their search for me in DARK (usually they kill me or there's only one guy looking for me and I manage to kill him). It would have made sense for once to have them forget about you, what with your vampire powers....

You have some powers you can unlock but it doesn't feel like they're really helpful either they don't last long enough, or they only target one enemy and most of the time you'll have to take care of a dozen. Maybe there's a certain skill development one can take to make the game easier, but it certainly doesn't feel like there is one.

But as I said, DARK is not inherently bad. Everything else about the game can be quite enjoyable, we're going back to the roots of vampires blood drinkers and outcasts of society. The only thing that needs to be fixed is the AI.
  18. Jul 21, 2013
    In my opinion, this game does deserve a warmer welcome from players and reviewers. Of course, it has some flaws and doesn't look much polished in a way you could expect from an AAA game (which is not).
    But, in many ways, it tries to make things well :
    - The gameplay is pretty interesting and intuitive, while
    - The level design is overall well-suited to the powers and abilities you just
    unlocked in the previous area. It offers a good verticality as well ("shadow leap" ability)
    - Moreover, the Rpg-style Xp points system gives you several possibilities of achievement with pretty cool powers showing well balanced cooldowns and potentials.
    - The graphics are really not bad for a cel-shaded game, but the characters' animations look rigid.
    - The storyline is pretty basic and uninteresting, but at least it lets you visit different places and stalk different preys.
    Overall, this game reminds me of "Batman Arkham Asylum" challenge maps, where you try to blend into the background while spotting and then swooping on your preys in different arenas.

it doesn't take long to reach the credits page, but overall the game was fun for me despite its flaws. I think it should be sold 15-20
  19. Aug 31, 2013
    The premise sounded very interesting. But an abortion is still an abortion. However, at least this vampire doesn't sparkle. That's the only upside. Period.
  20. Jul 6, 2013
    Don't waste your money on this trash. It's boring as hell, full of bugs, animations suck, lip sync is terrible, controls are terrible and it feels like it's unfinished, like there is a lot of stuff missing.
  21. Jul 22, 2013
    Pluses: guys, i realy tried to find some pluses, but i didn't...
    Minuses: game is very hard, bad animation, bad graphics, bad stealth, bad plot, bad controll, very low budget...
  22. Sep 10, 2013
    Its a good stealth game, It lacks in many aspects (graphics, writing, the final boss battle but I enjoyed It overall, I would totally look after a sequel.
  23. Aug 11, 2013
    This game gets bashed mainly because the company doesn't have fanboys. Game has outstanding visuals, great core concept focused around stealth and more.

Don't believe the negatives, most are upset that its not another cod or god of war.

My version has outstanding A.I. maybe the critics just don't have the rigs to handle this beast.
  24. Oct 30, 2013
    This is based on a great idea, in a great world and background but... Oh boy, poor execution.
    The game is a mess and bugged and dirty. The story is.... Pffff... Clumsy and a bit "stupid" but the world and the background of this world is neat. Matter of fact, this game could have been so nice... It's a shame.

Good ideas, good background, bad realisation, bad story...
  25. Jul 5, 2013
    If you like Vampire The Masquerade Redemption or Bloodlines you'll probably like this since the ambient feeling is there! Even though it's not a AAA-title it's definitely decent enough even though it lacks some polishing. But since all games are more or less the same now days this feels fresh.
  26. Jul 21, 2013
    Looked Good. Plays Bad.
    Worst animations I've seen in a long time and I could forgive bad animations but these animations are just the product of lazy developers. You don't even have an animation to walk in each direction so when you do a 360 turn it looks insanely stupid. Like I said I could get past the animations if the game wasn't so boring and easy.
  27. Jul 17, 2013
    The game has a few good concepts to make the gameplay interesting, sadly there are many flaws covering up the good things. Pros: Power ups, dialogues with jokes. Cons: 1.Obviously overpriced 2.Standard graphic 3. Not enough characters and places to make a good story 4.Ridiculous gameplay mechanics, e.g. sometimes it's frustrating when you want to quickly kill an enemy near a corpse because the kill and drag enemy dead body button is same
    5.Every characters talked like they doesn't need to breathe because of the gapless dialogue
    6.Mediocre sounds
    7.There are PDAs to collect and few side quest but you don't have a journal to keep it in mind
    8.Limited save (only 2 on normal difficulty) regardless how big is the area

Conclusion: though i'm able to enjoy some parts of the game, it's not worth the price and not worth to be recommended unless you really want it.
  28. Jul 5, 2013
    Its an honest game with great ideas and some flaws. At first i was stuck in the club because i didn't know what to do. But it is fun, when it starts at the outside area of a museum, you get yourself remembered of the great game Dishonored by having access to the magic teleportation power to wipe out enemies in a split second. I liked it.
  29. Jul 8, 2013
    Terrible control! The teleporting is infuriating trying to get the right location. The actual fighting is slow and clunky. You wind up for every punch (which is an instant kill), but while you wind up, everyone is shooting at you. You need to play it to see how bad it truly is.

The AI is brainless, more than any other stealth game I've played. You don't even need to fight most of the
    time. If you're seen, but make it through the door where the next cut-scene begins, they forget about you.

The animation and look of the game looks like an old xbox (original) game.

The sneaking element doesn't make any sense. If you go behind the enemy and do an attack to instant kill them, it doesn't make noise for others to hear (Even though it makes a huge noise for the player). However, grabbing them to drink their blood (which makes no noise when you do it) alerts nearby enemies).
  30. Jul 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a fun game. The controls were a little difficult at first but I got the hang of them pretty quick. The voice acting was also a bit abrasive at first as well but as the story progressed, I got more into it.

The game actually does get considerably more interesting as you go on and things get a lot cooler as you unlock more powers. I also enjoyed the challenge of sneaking around, though I would have enjoyed the option of some combat. I suppose the creators wanted to keep us focused on sneaking instead of fighting. Other things I would have changed would be the boss fight at the end (this would require a combat mechanic), and the length of the game. It gets really cool near the end and then it ends... I can't help but feel that it could have used some Metal Gear feel in it.

In any case, I'm up for a replay. I enjoyed sneaking around and causing havoc from the shadows.

Initially a terrible thing that becomes a relatively entertaining stealth action game, if you manage to (literally) bite your way through. Unfortunately, excellent ideas are screwed up by their problematic elaboration. [Issue#232]
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    A work of sulky blandness that does itself no favors by latching onto better games and cooler vampires. [ Nov 2013, p.68]
  3. Aug 28, 2013
    There are some mildly satisfying moments in Dark, but most of the time you’re stuck between boredom and frustration. [CD-Action 10/2013, p.67]