Darkfall Online PC

6.7

1. Apr 19, 2013
    A great Hardcore game, filled with adrenaline.
    Im talking about the first Darkfall, had alot of good moment the PVP was strong.
    However when i was new at the game i was constantly killed by other players attacking me even though i dindt do anything. Its a challenging game and takes time to get into, but overall when you have experienced Treasures, Dungoens, Building, Clan, PVP,
    A great Hardcore game, filled with adrenaline.

Treasures, Dungoens, Building, Clan, PVP, Adventure, Grind, Sailing, Sieges the World feels a bit repetetive in the first game.

And Darkfall 1.0 wasnt very rewarding however it was a fantastic game that i really liked.

But hoping that UW is better :D
  2. Apr 5, 2012
    Darkfall is one of the last vestiges of hardcore online gaming to experience, and to top it off it has an active user base that is extremely helpful. Are you tired of the boring experience current being offered by massive multiplayer online games. In reality, if you're a gamer, you've gone through hours and hours of gaming looking for an experience that is offered by Darkfall. You've gotDarkfall is one of the last vestiges of hardcore online gaming to experience, and to top it off it has an active user base that is extremely helpful. Are you tired of the boring experience current being offered by massive multiplayer online games. In reality, if you're a gamer, you've gone through hours and hours of gaming looking for an experience that is offered by Darkfall. You've got to hand it to the developers because they've got the equation down right. Crafting from start to finish
    Economy where currency holds its value
    PvP with corpse looting

These three things make for an experience not found since the days of early Ultima. The risk is the reward of this game and it's great to see people who hate it, because it's really not for everyone.
  3. Dec 31, 2011
    This game bring a fresh air with new ideas to mmorpg genre but i think Aventurine has not the human resources to support them. The game is a hardcore pvp in a completely danger open world and in this game you will live some of the most massive battles in mmo. All of us the veteran of the game we wait for Darkfall 2.
  4. Sep 11, 2011
    There really are no good things about this game. From the graphics to the combat, the controls, the skill system, the spells. The game is lacking in all areas. Aventurine has been building an engine that they wish to license out at some point in the future. This game is a way for them to show off what the engine can do. Nothing more.

Do yourself a favor and skip this one. Recently they

Do yourself a favor and skip this one.

Recently they announced a rewrite of the entire game system. Skills, spells, everything. Along with this could well come a wipe of all current characters. Imagine if blizzard said they were going to have a wipe tomorrow ?

This is the Aventurine way.
  5. Jul 19, 2011
    This game is a great game, but definitely not a game for everyone. If you are used to the â
  6. Jul 13, 2011
    Go on youtube and look up some sieges/ pvp fights and stop reading everyones crappy reviews. You be the judge on the graphics and animations, i personally think this is the best mmo ever made
  7. Jan 23, 2011
    Darkfall is a PvP oriented sandbox MMORPG, based in real-time combat system (like Oblivion). Developer is Aventurine S.A., a small independent greek company. The game has gone retail only in Greece, as no official publisher has announced a worldwide retail version for up to date. Thus, the game is sold online through DarkfallOnline.com.

Basic details In Darkfall, players can choose from 6

Basic details
    In Darkfall, players can choose from 6 races: Humans, Dwarves, Mirdain (Elves), Orks, Mahirims (Werewolves) and Alfars (Night Elves). The game has an open world where PvP is allowed anywhere outside NPC city limits. Graphics have a realistic appearance, with handmade buildings and beautiful looking ships. Character models lack anti-aliasing, while the sound itself is ok with some environmental sounds missing. Gameplay
    The gameplay is the strong part of the game. An open world means that you can actually move your character to dive into water or climb any mountain. Combat system is balanced, as there are no levels. Players only improve their skills from a 1-100 range. When they reach 50 and 75 in Melee and Archery masteries, they can buy new skills. Plus, when their magic skills reach 25, 50 and 75, they can unlock new magic schools and buy magic efficiency upgrades. In general, Melee, Archery and Magic combat can be combined all together as there are no limits on how to battle, cast spells or heal. Besides the open PvP, Darkfall is also a crafting based game, as all basic in-game items are crafted by players themselves. Differences between races only have to do with unique skills. For example, Dwarves can have durability bonuses to their items, Alfars and Humans can increase their maximum mana, Orks can increase their maximum health etc. A.I. of all mobs is also high, plus there are no clues of where mobs are hiding, which means players have to trust browser-based maps like the famous yourmom map (http://feylines.net/yourmom/compatible.aspx) to be able to find their desired farming spots and city locations.

Darkfall combines three genres in one: MMORPG, First-Person Shooter and Strategy. Camera is permanently in third-person view, but it switches to first-person when a staff or bow is equipped. Strategy elements only exist in Player Cities, where Generals can build buildings, upgrade them or build cannons. Clans and Sieges
    Darkfall Online has two servers, European and US, both holding up to 10.000 players on each. There are about 100 player cities which can be captured by Clans. Sieges can take part in any time, 22 hours after the attacking clan has declared a siege. Battles are vast, with hundreads of players fighting all together. This also causes some server lag in certain areas. By collecting a vast amount of resources, players can create Ships Warhulks and Artillieries, which they can use in sieges to take advantage of their firepower. Naval battles usually take place during sieges or sea fortress sieges (Sea fortresses are captures temporarily for some days). Ships differ from small boats with 1-3 cannons, to huge frigates with dozens of cannons and floors on them. During battles, players can use cannons to fire, cast spells, swim across the enemy ship or dive and fight in the open sea.

Closing comments
    With the largest and non-instanced world that has ever been created, Darkfall is perhaps the most competitive next-gen MMORPG. The fact that itâ
  8. Nov 9, 2010
    Now, for why Darkfall sucks.

I'm going to discuss these topics: PvE and Quests Content PvP Progression Lets begin! PvE and Quests I am sure I don't have to explain quests in Darkfall. They are generic quests you'd see in an Asian MMORPG. Kill this many mobs, collect this many resources, time limit quests. Not very unique and noone really cares about quests do they? So it would be
    Now, for why Darkfall sucks.

I'm going to discuss these topics:

PvE and Quests
    Content
    PvP
    Progression

Lets begin!

PvE and Quests

I am sure I don't have to explain quests in Darkfall. They are generic quests you'd see in an Asian MMORPG. Kill this many mobs, collect this many resources, time limit quests. Not very unique and noone really cares about quests do they? So it would be unfair for me to rate the game based on a flawed mechanic in MMORPGS.

PvE is also a bit uninteresting. There are no strategies or technique to kill mobs except exploit them if they are too tough or round up some friends to take it on. But who cares about PvE?

Content

By content, I mean what you can do in the game. So Darkfall is a Free for All Full Loot PVP game where anyone can kill anyone. Sounds cool, but where are you going to find anyone that isn't protected by Guard Towers or macroing in Guild Cities.

You can find the occasional harvesters but it's not fun killing people that are defenseless. Sure it's rewarding and theres nothing wrong with it but I want to be able to compete vs others.

Now that brings me to my next point. Where the **** is everyone? I can ride around the damn world without finding one damn person. Everyone is so damn concentrated. It's impossible to solo without resorting to constant naked raids in guild cities stealing mounts and killing afk macros for reagents and arrows (profitable, but boring).

You can ditch the PvP and try crafting. I do like the concept of crafting and how you can make the best equipment compared vs PvE. Sadly for me it takes eternity to get the materials to craft. It also takes eternity to skill up high enough where you don't fail and waste your reagents on something you really want.

Now you say, why don't you join a guild and do sieges?

Because I have to pay taxes. Taxes is what guilds use to build up there city. Which is understandable. But since it takes so damn long to get resources that I would be spending my entire time to harvest to pay some Roleplaying overlord his damn money.

So for content. The world is big, but not populated. You can only pvp with fun if your in a guild but you have to pay taxes. Loving it.

PvP

Now heres something that matters. PvP. Competition. Whos better then the other is boiled down to 1v1 duels. Who can outplay the other?

Not in Darkfall.

Character Skill surpasses any Player Skill unless your like Slayers_boxerS (if you don't know him your obviously an mmorpg noob that doesn't play actual quality games or genres).

Lets over simplify Character Skill vs Player Skill

Character Skill Advantages: More damage, Less damage taken, More health, More Stamina, More HP regen, More Stamina Regen, More skills to assist you (whirlwind, power thrust, magic)

Player Skill Advantages: More hits on the other, Less hits on you, Better stamina management, Better movement, Smarter Decisions.

Now, what everyone (including myself) would say Player Skill would demolish the MMORPG grinding noob. Except the gains and skills you "earn" (grind and afk macroing) are much too massive. It also doesn't help that Darkfalls Combat System is much much too easy. So the MMORPG grinding noob has as much capability as you do because the game just blatantly doesnt have enough room for skill to completely outplay everyone.

Compare the combat in Darkfall to FPS games such as Savage 2(infinite ways to outplay multiple opponents and single enemies), Team Fortress 2 (1 scout vs 2 scout is only winnable by only the best of scouts) CoD4(1v10 is possible with smarts, clutches, and skill)
    Darkfall is too archaic to have any impressive outplays. You move too slow when you move backwards and 50% slower when moving to the sides. So you might as well tape down W and expose your back sometimes to outmanuever yoru opponent. It's just Character Skills that matter in this game, the Combat is just too simple. One last note for PvP. Stamina is so poorly done in this game. Stamina is usually implemented to avoid spamming hits or abusing sprint. But in this game if you run out of stam you are ****ED. Whenever you get hit you lose stamina so you cant tank or walk dodge your way to enough stamina to finish him off. The stamina system in this game just doesn't promote skill. Progression Not much too say. Skilling up is excruciatingly slow and boring. You may say, If you want to be a Fire Mage then use Fire Magic. Except you need to be extremely rich and grind reagents all day and then macro for 1 week to get enough Fire Magic to be useful. Now Darkfall is a game where if you don't like being one thing, you can switch to the other. But do you really want to go through the system again? Once you specialize your that class until you die of Grind Boredom. Don't you dare say you don't need to Macro or Grind in this game.
  9. Aug 23, 2010
    This game is different. You can't treat it like a normal MMO like Guild Wars, WoW, Everquest ect. Pro's: This game is unique the combat can be fun and entertaining. The dev's are the most dedicated that i have ever seen almost constantly improving the game unlike other popular MMO's. Also the town/fort system in quite interesting if you get into it.
    Mixed: The Drop everything when you die
    Mixed: The Drop everything when you die system is interesting and also frustrating. you might come across were someone died and be able to get there stuff. But you might get killed later and lose that which you just got. The fighting system can also be a burden at points if you don't know what your doing but is something that you will learn overtime. there arn't many unique items but there are enough that you won't see another version of yourself.
    Con's: This game is a grind fest and the quest are uncreative. the UI could use some improvements and the graphics need a update. There is a little learning curve to it but can be overcome.
  10. rc
    Jan 31, 2010
    Excellent, excellent MMORPG! I have tried everything from Meridian, EQ, EQ2, AO, WoW, AoC, UO, TR, etc, etc, etc... None of them even begin to compare to how fun and involving this game is. Full loot PVP, and an amazingly huge, open world. This is what you have been waiting for!
  11. mh
    Jan 14, 2010
    A refreshingly original take on a genre inundated with 'WOW-clones' - the no-holds-barred PVP is a bit too much for 'soft' mainstream gamers... which will lead you to love it or hate it. Easily the best PVP MMO on the market right now, and only getting better with age.
  12. KuppanenD
    Dec 30, 2009
    Darkfall, the best concept ever created but to be honest, it had the worst pvp ever. No skill cap, makes the game unfriendly for anyone who starts the game now. Ridiculous grind in everyway. The only really good things in DFO was somewhat beatiful world and I really liked the pve.
  13. MarkW
    Nov 20, 2009
    I'm tempted to give it a much lower score, but in all honesty it's a little bit below average. I followed it for 5 years, beta tested it, subscribed and then canceled after a month. The original idea was brilliant, unfortunately Aventurine and Tasos are idiots. It would have been an awesome game if they would have included 10% of what they promised, instead they released a bare I'm tempted to give it a much lower score, but in all honesty it's a little bit below average. I followed it for 5 years, beta tested it, subscribed and then canceled after a month. The original idea was brilliant, unfortunately Aventurine and Tasos are idiots. It would have been an awesome game if they would have included 10% of what they promised, instead they released a bare bones prototype and charged the highest price in mmo gaming history. In the hands of anyone but these idiots the game could have been in the top 10. Expand
  14. JargoM
    Nov 12, 2009
    Great concept that had me eager for years but was poorly implemented and policing was even poorer. Wandering the world I found many people who didn't respond to anything... just fired spells into space until you killed them. This quickly lead to people who were obscenely powerful just days after the game came out, keeping down players who weren't them. The botting killed this Great concept that had me eager for years but was poorly implemented and policing was even poorer. Wandering the world I found many people who didn't respond to anything... just fired spells into space until you killed them. This quickly lead to people who were obscenely powerful just days after the game came out, keeping down players who weren't them. The botting killed this game for me within a week. Expand
  15. CurtisG
    Nov 4, 2009
    I have been thoroughly enjoying this game since the release of the EU-1 Server and have now been playing on NA-1 since it launched. This is a great game if you give it an honest shot, which means you have to start playing with the mindset that anything can happen. Also just so you know "anything" often does happen. I recommend you play this with a friend or two, heck bring as many as you I have been thoroughly enjoying this game since the release of the EU-1 Server and have now been playing on NA-1 since it launched. This is a great game if you give it an honest shot, which means you have to start playing with the mindset that anything can happen. Also just so you know "anything" often does happen. I recommend you play this with a friend or two, heck bring as many as you can because this game is a lot of fun if you can get a small group of friends together. A big part of this game is having to defend yourselves from other players, and a small group will help you guys to stay alive, and have the most fun. Hope this helped convince you to give this game an honest shot that is all I ask is give it a shot. It is definitely not for everyone but I think a fair number of people will like it, if given the chance to like it. Curtis Expand
  16. AbeS
    Sep 23, 2009
    Although the game was plagued by a horrible release, things have gotten much smoother. If large-scale PVP and hard-core gaming is your bag, check it out for sure.
  17. DaveA
    Aug 26, 2009
    This game is for hardcore pvp players only. The FPS style combat mix with MMORPG and skill based leveling is refreshing. Some features like ally-damage, limited view when harvesting and the looting system making it hard to loot fast especially in combat (which all improve realism) will annoy the casual gamers but will please the more hardcore people. Joining a large guild might help to This game is for hardcore pvp players only. The FPS style combat mix with MMORPG and skill based leveling is refreshing. Some features like ally-damage, limited view when harvesting and the looting system making it hard to loot fast especially in combat (which all improve realism) will annoy the casual gamers but will please the more hardcore people. Joining a large guild might help to participate in the advanced city building / siege content. Expand
  18. jb
    Aug 13, 2009
    Summarized nicely by users Marcus J and H S. My problems are antiquated graphics, no 64 bit platform support, shoddy animations, unbalanced magic classes, a grind that would give EvE a run for its money, worst customer relations for any mmo * a month without a new update for example *, inane travel options with nothing to bridge the world together, pointless ship mechanics, pointless Summarized nicely by users Marcus J and H S. My problems are antiquated graphics, no 64 bit platform support, shoddy animations, unbalanced magic classes, a grind that would give EvE a run for its money, worst customer relations for any mmo * a month without a new update for example *, inane travel options with nothing to bridge the world together, pointless ship mechanics, pointless personal housing, and a quickly fading server population in short are all the problems with this below-mediocre game. Good luck staying afloat Aventurine you will certainly need it. Expand
  19. PatukkaM
    Aug 11, 2009
    Few good ideas with poor implementing. The fact they charged U.S. players twice for the retail client is enough to convince most people of Aventurines dodgy ethics. Don't buy it, you will regret it.
  20. StefA
    Aug 3, 2009
    Brutal. UI is like something from a Quake 1 mod. Combat is dance of bunny hoping, and macro run scripts. World is totally barren and bland with zero atmosphere. Only thing it has going is its "sandbox" feel. Im a hardcore UO vet, and this game looks like it came out about 5 months after UO. Pure trash,
  21. Billyh
    Aug 2, 2009
    While still not having enough features and toys to play with, Darkfall has more potential than any other MMO out there. They have created a seamless world that is a joy to explore
  22. RobertL
    Jul 15, 2009
    unfinished, horrifically bad controls, nightmarish website and billing setup, and very poor customer service. Gameplay is clunky and the information available is very missleading.
  23. mattprivate
    Jul 12, 2009
    Simply the best MMOG on the market. Completely breaks the mould of "generic WOW-clone" that the genre has devolved into for the past few years.
  24. CD
    Jul 6, 2009
    I've been playing DF since release so for over 4 months now. I enjoy the game very much. It is aimed at long term player development and I find the pvp highly enjoyable. The first "free expansion" is due out tomorrow and i'm hoping it only gets more fun from here.
  25. SalvatoreC
    Jun 13, 2009
    Great concept, but terrible overall technical realization. Graphics is good but uninspiring, animations are bad, sounds are ROFLMAO, combat system is clunky, city building is "meh", crafting is non-existant, skill system is grindy and lacking on variety.
  26. MarcusJ
    Jun 10, 2009
    Darkfall is a game which I waited for with much anticipation for about 9 months. After furiously refreshing the accounts page and getting into the game early it quickly became apparent that the discontent voiced by most of the Beta testers was well founded. The combat system is dull and clunky, instead of using a system where and ability can be used instantly by pressing the hotkey, Darkfall is a game which I waited for with much anticipation for about 9 months. After furiously refreshing the accounts page and getting into the game early it quickly became apparent that the discontent voiced by most of the Beta testers was well founded. The combat system is dull and clunky, instead of using a system where and ability can be used instantly by pressing the hotkey, abilities have to be 'pre loaded' and then used. This awkward system forces the use of macros to speed up combat. A serious lack of variety of abilities means that players usually end up in a circle strafe spamming their mouse buttons. The game world is huge and well made, but it's content feels rushed (it is almost completely empty). In short, if you are the type of player that enjoys a game where individual player skill, reaction times, aiming and strategy really matter I could not recommend Darkfall, however if you want a large scale guild orientated pvp mmorpg then Darkfall may be for you. For me, the game should have had at least 6 months more development before release, maybe more. And it is hard for me to believe that after 7 years of work on part of the developers this is all they came up with. Expand
  27. CharlesDelmo
    Jun 9, 2009
    After playing this game for 3 months I can easily say that this is one of the BEST games I have ever played. There are still balance issues and some other frustrating bugs but this is the first time in a long time that I have enjoyed myself this much.
  28. HS
    Jun 8, 2009
    A fantastic game on paper but any enjoyment is quickly drained by bad controls, bugs, an empty world, shallow gameplay, exploiters and an unhelpful community.
  29. CD
    May 24, 2009
    Good game if you are in for the long haul. If you are looking for something to play for a month or two look else where. If you are looking for a game to play for 6+ months, you love PvP, and you enjoy long term character development this is the place to be.
  30. PA
    May 23, 2009
    I've played this game for 2 months now and am still enjoying it. It is mostly definitely a niche game, so know what you're getting into before you buy it. As for the 20/100 given by Eurogamer: read it with a grain of salt. A lot of controversy surrounds the article and its filled with false information.
  31. Phos
    May 21, 2009
    This is a great game, has a lot of potential, though I have only played for two weeks.

IN REGARDS TO EUROGAMER'S REVIEW. HERE IS SOME INSIGHT. http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=185060 http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=185733 http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=185299 While the Darkfall team is of course going to be baised

IN REGARDS TO EUROGAMER'S REVIEW. HERE IS SOME INSIGHT.

While the Darkfall team is of course going to be baised towards themselves, they have put forth a lot of information and detail about how wrong (yes WRONG) the EG review is. There are factual discrepancies and proof that can EASILY be used against the EG reviewer.

I'm not asking to sympathize this game, but just to try it out, it has great potential. As an MMO, I hope to continue to play it.
  32. TruthBetold
    May 21, 2009
    Does this game have potential.......Yes it does, but potential does not a good game make. This game was without question released way to early. Slowly Aventurine is beginning to add the content to this game that should have been there at launch. This game is still far from finished and it certainly lacks polish in the User Interface. My advice would be to hold off for a few more months Does this game have potential.......Yes it does, but potential does not a good game make. This game was without question released way to early. Slowly Aventurine is beginning to add the content to this game that should have been there at launch. This game is still far from finished and it certainly lacks polish in the User Interface. My advice would be to hold off for a few more months and see where the game goes. In defense of ED zittron, when he reviewed the game, his comments were very much true. As of now AV have improved the game somewhat but there is much more to go. The game in its current state is very much playable though with recent patches preventing exploits, newbies will find that they are way behind the power curve with a much steeper climb to catchup. Expand
  33. DJ
    May 19, 2009
    Macroing, hate it personally. Bunny hopping, strafing, hit your pals in the back. Most definitely not the game for me. Another in the line of games that got released a bit too early. The only positive point i can really post about the game is that the pvp is open. Enjoyable, not really...but open pvp nonetheless. I could not recommend this game to a friend with a straight face, regardless Macroing, hate it personally. Bunny hopping, strafing, hit your pals in the back. Most definitely not the game for me. Another in the line of games that got released a bit too early. The only positive point i can really post about the game is that the pvp is open. Enjoyable, not really...but open pvp nonetheless. I could not recommend this game to a friend with a straight face, regardless of how warped he might be. This game leaves most of us to continue waiting for the pvp game to scratch our itch. Expand
  34. NathanS
    May 19, 2009
    The game is certainly not without its flaws, but definately worth at least a try. Overall gameplay is fun beyond the initial grind, with its unique loot system, skill based leveling, and overall giant difference between traditional MMOs and Darkfall. If you haven't looked into the game, you really have no business buying it.
  35. AlexanderH
    May 19, 2009
    This is the second coming of Ultima Online. If you enjoyed UO, you will love this game! The developer support for the game is tremendous and it will continue to evolve.
  36. TazV
    May 19, 2009
    This is a great game for those who know what they are looking for. Full loot MMO in non instanced world, with FPS elements, and clan warfare/politics. The game is becoming better every week since the company is patching actively to improve gameplay and balance. People might complain it's "too hard" - and they might be right. This is not a ride in a theme-park type of game. But once This is a great game for those who know what they are looking for. Full loot MMO in non instanced world, with FPS elements, and clan warfare/politics. The game is becoming better every week since the company is patching actively to improve gameplay and balance. People might complain it's "too hard" - and they might be right. This is not a ride in a theme-park type of game. But once you get the hang of it, the rewards are incredible. Better than anything you would get from WoW(and I have played wow at a very high level) or similar games. Expand
  37. JR
    May 16, 2009
    +2 for somewhat exciting small-scale skirmishes between groups of players. -8 for everything else. Graphics would have been acceptable 5 years ago, not today. User interface is the worst I've seen in any game, and after 2 months of playing, fumbling around with switching/unsheathing weapons remains frustrating. While it is technically possible to play solo, the risks and difficulty +2 for somewhat exciting small-scale skirmishes between groups of players. -8 for everything else. Graphics would have been acceptable 5 years ago, not today. User interface is the worst I've seen in any game, and after 2 months of playing, fumbling around with switching/unsheathing weapons remains frustrating. While it is technically possible to play solo, the risks and difficulty and lack of fun doing so FAR outweigh any sort of benefit. City design is terrible. Enemies were able to breach my clan city's walls in numerous places. Flame thrower defenses were positioned poorly and could not hit the path leading to our gate it was meant to protect. In short, the entire game feels like it was designed by amateurs... Amateurs bad at making good decisions. Expand
  38. gs
    May 15, 2009
    Bad designed, no content, hackers, macroing everywhere, skill system is a infinite non-fun grind, loot system exploited by naked zergs, melee combat simple and unfun, no customisation, hard as hell to buy, way to expensive for so low amount of content and quality, anoying UI, lag on big fights, bugs, exploits, skills give a huge advantage ad all the people that eploited the new rape the Bad designed, no content, hackers, macroing everywhere, skill system is a infinite non-fun grind, loot system exploited by naked zergs, melee combat simple and unfun, no customisation, hard as hell to buy, way to expensive for so low amount of content and quality, anoying UI, lag on big fights, bugs, exploits, skills give a huge advantage ad all the people that eploited the new rape the new players same thing happens with the macroers. You cant solo play you have to join a big clan or else you get destroyed. You have to macro or everyone else and his mother will kill you because of the great advantage skill gives. Worst MMORPG i was ever since the realise was the worst and the game lacks everything that a MMORPG is. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Expand
  39. MichaelW
    May 15, 2009
    This is a great game that still needs some polishing, is brutal to those that are new to hardcore PVP, and is not for the faint of heart. If you are used to having your hand held and a medal awarded for every act you accomplish this is not your game. If your willing to invest the time with a guild and learn the ropes under fire then this just may be for you. Solo play for this game is not This is a great game that still needs some polishing, is brutal to those that are new to hardcore PVP, and is not for the faint of heart. If you are used to having your hand held and a medal awarded for every act you accomplish this is not your game. If your willing to invest the time with a guild and learn the ropes under fire then this just may be for you. Solo play for this game is not recommended but can work for you if you are really quick on your feet. I personally do not see many solo players for to long. Safety in numbers is the name of this game. Expand
  40. RickT
    May 14, 2009
    Pong with a new skin and you get the depth of gameplay in Darkfall. Grinding endlessly is the only way to compete. I am trying to get my euros back but their customer service is non-existent, like the fun in darkfall.
  41. UberWolf
    May 14, 2009
    Game is designed for prepubesent nubs wilthout a life. All about grind and mindless ganking. Takes absolutely no skill, you only need to set you macro and leave to level your skills up. Waste of Cyberspace. Read Eurogamers review to get a clearer picture of DFO, their review hits the mark.
  42. Paragus
    May 14, 2009
    Alright here is my view after 2 weeks. At first glance I noticed the graphics weren't the best but of course as an ex-shadowbane player graphics obviously arn't the most important aspect of a game. So i roam around about 30minuts and a friend and I save some random guy from a PK, some reason he thought us two newbs could take him. I thought well that was pretty cool but then Alright here is my view after 2 weeks. At first glance I noticed the graphics weren't the best but of course as an ex-shadowbane player graphics obviously arn't the most important aspect of a game. So i roam around about 30minuts and a friend and I save some random guy from a PK, some reason he thought us two newbs could take him. I thought well that was pretty cool but then another 30minuts I found some mobs wacked them for a bit only to be PKed repeatedly by my own race. After talking with my friend we decided to stick in town and skill up on each other. After hours and hours of repeatedly hitting each other to work on skills we go back out. We had issues killing mobs due to latency issues, though at times the lag clears up. After days of wacking at warping mobs and getting mobs stuck on rocks so i could wack them easier I was starting to have fun. Of course all the major clans have ways to max their skills fast often exploiting to do so making it hard for others who don't to compete. So after my 2nd week I just started to wonder if i'd be better off playing Everquest, Asherons Call, or giving up MMOs all together since I was so dissapointed. The pvp was far from what I expected, people bunny hopping and going around in large groups ganking newbie areas. I understand its thrilling that you can be killed at any time, again pointing out that i played shadowbane since beta to its death. But its rediculous. There seems to be no real goal other than kill players in any way you can exploiting or not lag or not. As for the PVE the mobs pathing is horrid, they run around randomly when you attack them at times some times running some times charging and some times they run back and forth because they cant make up their minds. My opinion 4/10 Bottom line is......well......DFO is crap. Expand
  43. JT
    May 14, 2009
    I have been playing DFO for a week and I can say it is possibly the worst designed game I can recall. Totally full of bugs, glitches, hackers, afk macroers, & LAG,LAG,LAG! Total amateur job.
  44. Z
    May 14, 2009
    Starting with the outdated website to purchase the game to the poorly written code, this game is hands down the worst MMO to hit the market since D&L. Community is mostly made of hardcore wannabes and macro users. Dont waste your cash on this one, take that $50 bill and blow your nose with it, at lest you will get some use out of it. Eurogamers review was generous IMO. STAY AWAY, Nothing Starting with the outdated website to purchase the game to the poorly written code, this game is hands down the worst MMO to hit the market since D&L. Community is mostly made of hardcore wannabes and macro users. Dont waste your cash on this one, take that $50 bill and blow your nose with it, at lest you will get some use out of it. Eurogamers review was generous IMO. STAY AWAY, Nothing to see here folks. Expand
  45. CelesteL
    May 13, 2009
    I played this game for a few weeks, hoping that it would be this generation's Ultima Online. I find the WoW model of MMOs to be too fluffy, too restrictive, and too raid/PvE based for my tastes, and was looking forward to a game that allows the player base to shape the course of the game. The sad reality is that Darkfall is not that game. Every MMO has its technical issues when it I played this game for a few weeks, hoping that it would be this generation's Ultima Online. I find the WoW model of MMOs to be too fluffy, too restrictive, and too raid/PvE based for my tastes, and was looking forward to a game that allows the player base to shape the course of the game. The sad reality is that Darkfall is not that game. Every MMO has its technical issues when it comes to server stability, but the issues with DFO run deeper than that. I would happily sacrifice WoW's level of polish for a proper sandbox MMO, but Darkfall isn't an unpolished gem - it plays as just as shoddy as it looks, more like a pre-dev project than a finished product. Hugely disappointing. Expand
  46. DB
    May 11, 2009
    I have played almost all the major MMORPG's since 1998, and I have to say that after trying to get on with this for a week, it's absolutely appalling - it's like an amatuer attempt at writing an online game. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.
  47. snxxsir
    May 10, 2009
    It's a game filled with badly designed systems trying to pass out as a "hardcore tittle for hardcore public". You really have to be hardcore to enjoy Darkfall, S&M hardcore.
  48. colutrb
    May 9, 2009
    I have been playing DFO since release and it is easily the best MMO out right now. I read the review given by eurogamer and there is no way they played the same game I pay for.
  49. TIMD
    May 8, 2009
    Having played this game for over a month which is about a month more than the Eurogamer reviewer Ed Zitron did. Ths game is not without its issues but to rate this game a 20 is pure sign of irresponsible journalism. First off you need to understand that DFO does just about everything differently than most of your traditional MMO's. That being said there are bound to be issues with Having played this game for over a month which is about a month more than the Eurogamer reviewer Ed Zitron did. Ths game is not without its issues but to rate this game a 20 is pure sign of irresponsible journalism. First off you need to understand that DFO does just about everything differently than most of your traditional MMO's. That being said there are bound to be issues with having to deal with new interface and control styles and of course you might not like them but like anything, given substantial playing time, you grow use to it and it becomes quite intuitive. The Combat is nothing special as it is a virtual run around trying to whack your opponent using the left mouse button. The AI of the mobs is a bit suspect as there movements are quite bizzare but like everything else in this game, you get used to it. The graphics are good but not up to par with what todays games usually demonstrate or what todays crop of video cards can handle. Overall this games biggest problem would be real lack of any substantial content. The quests are rather redundant and quite boring which only leaves the pvp part of the game and that will wear on you fast. Overall i would give this game a 6 and would recommend buying this game in a few months after it has had time to grow. Expand
  50. MasonP
    May 8, 2009
    Great game - some parts have to be improved but overall the game depth is awesome if you like PvP and pure Adrenaline.
  51. JamesH
    May 8, 2009
    This game is the epitome of potential, and I have to say that given the current state of MMO's this is probably the most passionate and talented development team to date. This game was not designed for the feint of heart.
  52. JorgeS
    May 8, 2009
    I was following this game 1 year since we'll playing. This game is really really good for the loot, the pvp system, the exploration, the political system, etc. If you like the ultima online, the gameplay against the graphics this is your game.
  53. chrn
    May 8, 2009
    Game needs some polishing much like any other mmo but thers nothing like it in the market. Great team/alliance baseed play. Its got p[olitics, building/harvestine, war in small and large scales. game is amazing.
  54. vangye
    May 8, 2009
    Its an Awesome game. you have to risk everything everytime. you create the story though politics with other players, sieges are huge and if you can play them (cause there are huge amount of players) cause that need a hardcore pc (or lower graphics etc) then you will realize that you havent experienced anything alike. need some work on many aspects but still Aventurine deliveres many Its an Awesome game. you have to risk everything everytime. you create the story though politics with other players, sieges are huge and if you can play them (cause there are huge amount of players) cause that need a hardcore pc (or lower graphics etc) then you will realize that you havent experienced anything alike. need some work on many aspects but still Aventurine deliveres many patches and everything seems stable and smoother than ever. definitely must try it! Expand
  55. JohanA
    May 8, 2009
    Its obviously that Eurogamer is an amateur to review games atleast. I mean they didnt even play the game. The game is getting better and better for every patch that comes.
  56. bobsimms
    May 8, 2009
    This is a game liveing in the past its got pvp with very bad systems the same sytem a game made 10 years ago uses! ui is very very bad! very buggy game and a hell of alot of hackers in game also the only way to buy this game is through a forum post!
  57. BenS
    May 8, 2009
    This game was everything I was looking for in an MMO, Full loot pvp, Large scale battles, politics, FPS play, and skill based mechanics.
  58. PhilD
    May 8, 2009
    I played the free trial of this game. Even after release many of the bugs during this period were still around. This is by far one of the worst games I have played. It's subpar in almost every respect and should be avoided at all costs. I think it's great the developers tried to break off from the normal. However, this was clearly a mistake on there part if they are I played the free trial of this game. Even after release many of the bugs during this period were still around. This is by far one of the worst games I have played. It's subpar in almost every respect and should be avoided at all costs. I think it's great the developers tried to break off from the normal. However, this was clearly a mistake on there part if they are inexperienced or cannot provide even basics and depth to the entire game. From horrible bugs to patches that cause problems to the point a server wipe is neede darkfall has them all! Expand
  59. NicC
    May 8, 2009
    I agree with the Eurogamer review, but only in so much as the instabilities allowed to actually play it. The review however makes no mention of the sheer potential of the depth the game offers. Given another two years of development, it is clear to see that it could easily be one of the most complex and rivetting MMO's available. But today, tomorrow and the day after, it's just I agree with the Eurogamer review, but only in so much as the instabilities allowed to actually play it. The review however makes no mention of the sheer potential of the depth the game offers. Given another two years of development, it is clear to see that it could easily be one of the most complex and rivetting MMO's available. But today, tomorrow and the day after, it's just a joke of a product. Expand
  60. JoshE
    May 8, 2009
    I have played this game quite a bit, hoping the entire time that it would live up to what was promised if I just played a little more and explored. It did not. There are many, many features that these developers said were already in the game that were nowhere to be found, and there is no evidence to suggest that they ever existed at all. The combat is poorly implemented and uninspiring. I have played this game quite a bit, hoping the entire time that it would live up to what was promised if I just played a little more and explored. It did not. There are many, many features that these developers said were already in the game that were nowhere to be found, and there is no evidence to suggest that they ever existed at all. The combat is poorly implemented and uninspiring. It has a somewhat FPS feel to it, but the controls are both sluggish and too responsive at the same time. Players can turn on a dime as fast as they can move their mouse, and it makes combat less skilled and more random. The quest system is utter garbage. Every single one I found was a lame kill task. The cities are nearly devoid of NPC's. The world itself has planty of attractive visuals, but unfortunately it is empty and often doesn't make sense. There are buildings and interesting things all over the place without any reason for being there, and with no monsters or other inhabitants. You can run for 15 minute stretches at a time without encountering another palyer or an NPC. You will encounter lots of resource nodes, however. Movement from place to place is just plain awful. If you have a job, you'd better cash in your vacation time if you want to go anywhere in this game. It is simply the worst travel system I have ever seen in any MMO. The monster AI is a complete mess. The mobs use the same tactics over and over, not too different from other MMO's, but in this case it is simply annoying. This is easily remedied by just glitching the mobs and then farming to your hearts content. The vaunted siege system is just utter garbage. The towns themselves are cookie-cutter things that have really no customization ability. I could go on, but all in all this game was crap. If this is what these people have to show for 8 odd years of development, then they deserve to go out of business. Avoid it at all cost, it is a waste of time and money. Expand
  61. KostasK
    May 8, 2009
    Niche game. not for everyone..when you play 1-2 weeks and get used to it , it will show its potential. Only drawback is its not so for single playing as the world is hostile and needs organization in terms of party/guilds alliances to have access to alot of elements of the game but isnt this the case for every mmo?
  62. DanL
    May 8, 2009
    The graphics in the game are far from great with the UI and controls slightly more clunky than other MMOs. But the combat system has far more appeal than the click and stick systems employed by other games. The aiming of archery and magic is certainly a step in the right direction for MMOs as well as the large seemless world with a vast amount of opportunities. I think this game is good The graphics in the game are far from great with the UI and controls slightly more clunky than other MMOs. But the combat system has far more appeal than the click and stick systems employed by other games. The aiming of archery and magic is certainly a step in the right direction for MMOs as well as the large seemless world with a vast amount of opportunities. I think this game is good and has potential but a larger developer could easily take some of the systems employed here and impliment them better with better graphics and controls. This may hurt the potential future of the game but is unlikely to happen for a long time! Expand
  63. WesleyP
    May 8, 2009
    The pve needs work, Ive yet to explore any dungeon type enviroments. I have found a few dragons though. The pvp is fast and furious and for the first time in late 90s, early 2000s I have a sense of risk vs reward.
  64. SteveL
    May 8, 2009
    This game is not for you. I'm not sure who it is for, but it is not for you. This is made clear by the devs who have make it virtually impossible to actually buy the game. Mechanics are dated and clunky. Graphics are dated. The artwork is generic fantasy fluff. Bah! Beta was enough for me.
  65. HemickM
    May 8, 2009
    A breath of fresh air into the MMO market. Bar none the best PvP MMO I've played since EverQuest launched Sullon Zek.
  66. HaloP
    May 8, 2009
    pros: - intense pvp fights - full loot - innovative use of 3d sounds - skill based character development - very unique playing experience cons: - early 2000 style graphics - crappy gui - needs lots and lots of balancing - crappy pve (few spawns, stupid ai, expoitable mobs, drops need balancing) - inadequate communication from developers, bad cs, purchasing options are still not clear, pros: - intense pvp fights - full loot - innovative use of 3d sounds - skill based character development - very unique playing experience cons: - early 2000 style graphics - crappy gui - needs lots and lots of balancing - crappy pve (few spawns, stupid ai, expoitable mobs, drops need balancing) - inadequate communication from developers, bad cs, purchasing options are still not clear, homepage does not reflect the state of the game - big skill gap between early starters and new players due to old exploits that have been fixed and balancing issues - half of the promised features are not yet implemented - game is really in a beta stage. Expand
  67. JohnC
    May 8, 2009
    Great potential, awful release but once your in its a great experience and takes you back to those loved Ultima Online days.
  68. DickL
    May 8, 2009
    Excellent but extremely punishing free for all pvp game. With a completely open world and full looting it's a real throwback to MMOs of old. It's well supported with patches and updates.
  69. FotisG
    May 8, 2009
    As a hardcore pvper i must say this is an actual heaven for me. Sure it has its problems since it comes from an indie company and not a multy milion dollar giant. But the pvp core of the game is there . It needs time so this rough diamond can shine . But even at this state ppl should try it. And by ppl i mean those who loved UO and shadowbane. if you are a Wow, Lotr, Aoc. warhammer player As a hardcore pvper i must say this is an actual heaven for me. Sure it has its problems since it comes from an indie company and not a multy milion dollar giant. But the pvp core of the game is there . It needs time so this rough diamond can shine . But even at this state ppl should try it. And by ppl i mean those who loved UO and shadowbane. if you are a Wow, Lotr, Aoc. warhammer player do not and i mean it, do not even think of trying this game. Its not for you. Expand
  70. AlexB.
    May 8, 2009
    Full Loot old school PvP MMO, striving to bring back the good old times of Ultima Online thrill, danger and adrenaline. While it is not very user friendly, in my opinion its a very addictive game which is clearly aimed at the hardcore crowd. - Rough gem of a game, that needs a little more polishing.
  71. MH
    May 7, 2009
    This game is very old-school in its approach. Before MMORPG's were turned into easymode gaming (eg: WoW) there existed games such as UO, AC, EQ, SWG, etc. They were breaking the "mmo mold" before WoW even established it. Additionally, do not trust Eurogamer's review regarding this game. The reviewer assigned to the game has built up notoriety for being unfair to various games. This game is very old-school in its approach. Before MMORPG's were turned into easymode gaming (eg: WoW) there existed games such as UO, AC, EQ, SWG, etc. They were breaking the "mmo mold" before WoW even established it. Additionally, do not trust Eurogamer's review regarding this game. The reviewer assigned to the game has built up notoriety for being unfair to various games. While there are accurate statements in the review, any gamer that considers himself a "serious gamer" should be looking at the Darkfall Online forums. Expand
  72. RobertS
    May 7, 2009
    It aint perfect but it's the second skill based game I've played and the first sandbox - the potential is great and the devs do a hell of a good job in getting the game better on a weekly basis. You can enjoy the game from day one (after getting used to controls and UI, which can take up to 2 hours if you don't read the manual that you have to close before you can start It aint perfect but it's the second skill based game I've played and the first sandbox - the potential is great and the devs do a hell of a good job in getting the game better on a weekly basis. You can enjoy the game from day one (after getting used to controls and UI, which can take up to 2 hours if you don't read the manual that you have to close before you can start playing) and never feel useless - it factors the group aspect as well as the lone ranger aspect since both can be successful. I intend to stay for a while. Expand
  73. Jesse
    May 7, 2009
    The game completes what it set out to do well. FFA PVP. Its a difficult game to get used to. Especialy if your used to games like WoW or Everquest since they are focused on die rolls modified by stats. Sound is a bit... low tech. Controls, at first, can be clunky but are a nice fit once you move some of the keys around. It is difficult to start but once things get going and you have a few The game completes what it set out to do well. FFA PVP. Its a difficult game to get used to. Especialy if your used to games like WoW or Everquest since they are focused on die rolls modified by stats. Sound is a bit... low tech. Controls, at first, can be clunky but are a nice fit once you move some of the keys around. It is difficult to start but once things get going and you have a few friends or a guild to fall back on in case someone causes problems things get better. Expand
  74. HansiJ
    May 7, 2009
    Best pvp-mmorpg since UO/AC... no doubt. Full loot, player skill based pvp (manual aim, friendly fire). No instances. An insanely huge handcrafted world with 15k+ players online. Sieges with more than 1000 players participating. What more can you ask.
  75. BrandonW
    May 7, 2009
    This game is not worth a monthly subscription of ANY amount, and certainly not worth $52 or so to buy. While it is clearly a labor of love (The entire world is hand-made, and detailed), it doesn't save itself from a sloppy interface, cumbersome controls and a community about as welcoming and helpful as a pit of snakes. While things do get better many hours into the game when you get This game is not worth a monthly subscription of ANY amount, and certainly not worth $52 or so to buy. While it is clearly a labor of love (The entire world is hand-made, and detailed), it doesn't save itself from a sloppy interface, cumbersome controls and a community about as welcoming and helpful as a pit of snakes. While things do get better many hours into the game when you get a better handle on what's going on, they only become tolerable, not good. Avoid this one. Expand
  76. KariiI
    May 7, 2009
    Darkfall is the fantasy based answer to CCP's EVE Online. It provides an open gaming environment that allows the player base to shape the game world. The combination of FPS style combat with an RPG is a refreshing change of pace from many of the current crop of MMO's on the market.
  77. AndrewR
    May 7, 2009
    What I like - Mixture between oblivion style combat and EVE online political intrigue - Beautiful (though graphically outdated) handcrafted world - Game can handle several hundred players fighting each other with good framerate (google siege videos) - Game has player initiated naval combat (google brigintine videos) - Complete control over your character, no dice rolls determining hit or What I like - Mixture between oblivion style combat and EVE online political intrigue - Beautiful (though graphically outdated) handcrafted world - Game can handle several hundred players fighting each other with good framerate (google siege videos) - Game has player initiated naval combat (google brigintine videos) - Complete control over your character, no dice rolls determining hit or miss and no auto aiming What I didn't like - Lack of solo play - Grind for crafting is tedius - Some issues with equipping/unequipping bows and staves - Interface, while functional, is slightly clunky (it will remind you of planetside, only you have to use your right-click interface frequently) Personally, I'm enjoying darkfall a lot but I'm a 2 year EVE veteran and I've been waiting for an oblivion-esque mmo, so I'm a good fit for this glove. The controls are going to remind you of an FPS rather than a traditional MMO, so go in with that attitude and you will pick it up faster. A perfect game for someone already familar with FFA sandbox's, or anyone wanting a truly free play experience that can handle not having their hand held. Expand
  78. JakeH
    May 7, 2009
    Not really a good game to play overall. The PvE doesn't meet todays standards, the PvP is ok but isn't what it should be (spam mouse1 and circle a player?), the crafting system is basically stand at a tree for an hour, you say that for just about every single skill in the game too, and the world is just empty as can be of life.
  79. GuyS
    May 7, 2009
    Darkfall is a great PvP and GvG game. The player has complete freedom to play his character as he/she wishes. The lack of auto-targeting is a great enhancement to PvP MMOs increasing the player skill required to be successful. Button mashing will not win fights in DF. Bugs still need to be worked out. Game performance is increasing every patch. Overall, the game concept is a 10/10 and the Darkfall is a great PvP and GvG game. The player has complete freedom to play his character as he/she wishes. The lack of auto-targeting is a great enhancement to PvP MMOs increasing the player skill required to be successful. Button mashing will not win fights in DF. Bugs still need to be worked out. Game performance is increasing every patch. Overall, the game concept is a 10/10 and the actual mechanics just need polishing which is happening every day. As of the end of beta, Darkfall was 6/10 and improving. Expand
  80. DirkM
    May 7, 2009
    Darkfall is not a typical MMORPG. It mixes the fast paced combat of an FPS with an RPG setting. You can roam around and can find small scale fights or get involved in massive battles. While the game started of with bugs and flaws none of those stand out compared to any other MMORPG launch. Devs are actively developing the game and the game improves continuously. Duels, Sieges, Naval Darkfall is not a typical MMORPG. It mixes the fast paced combat of an FPS with an RPG setting. You can roam around and can find small scale fights or get involved in massive battles. While the game started of with bugs and flaws none of those stand out compared to any other MMORPG launch. Devs are actively developing the game and the game improves continuously. Duels, Sieges, Naval Battle ... if you want PvP action in a world inhabited by thousands then this is THE game to get. Expand
  81. JoshW
    May 7, 2009
    The game has a depth that certainly cannot be determined in 2.5 or 9 hours, depending on which story you believe of the Eurogamer drama. Yes , it should come as no surprise that the game is vastly different than most games on the market, and yet, this is what Aventurine has been planning for years, and they have suceeded quite well. Combat with mobs is downright fantastic. When a mob The game has a depth that certainly cannot be determined in 2.5 or 9 hours, depending on which story you believe of the Eurogamer drama. Yes , it should come as no surprise that the game is vastly different than most games on the market, and yet, this is what Aventurine has been planning for years, and they have suceeded quite well. Combat with mobs is downright fantastic. When a mob hides behind a tree as I try to shoot him, then pops out and hits me melee when I get closer, I cannot help but be impressed. Combat with players is incomparable. Contrary to the many reports of "Combat is nothing more than circle strafe and mana missiles" there is a great deal of PLAYER skill involved with the combat. Tactics and strategy are necessary to win fights in this game, and quite frankly, I love it. The social structure in the game is still on its way to being developed, and it shows a great deal of promise, though in this area only time will tell. Yes there are areas where the game lacks some, hence my 9 instead of a 10. However that being said, the changes that Aventurine have made have all been in the right direction, and they respond to problems and issues with a great deal of quickness. This game is not for everyone, as you have to be ok with losing all your hard work in a random encounter, but quite frankly, without that risk, the game wouldnt be nearly as fun. I cannot personaly recall the last time prior to this game that I truely found myself on the edge of my seat, holding my breath, waiting for a fight to finish. Expand
  82. JC
    May 7, 2009
    Darkfall achieves what it set out to. Does it need work? Of course. But it is constantly improving and is the best MMO experience I have had in years. I think if things keep going like they are now I could give this game my first perfect 10 ever. It's just not there yet.
  83. HishB.
    May 7, 2009
    This game is a revolution of the mmorpg industry. You have to take time to play it. By the way, the eurogamer reviewer got killed too many times so that's why he gave it a poor score.
  84. GabrielC
    May 7, 2009
    I give it a 7 because the game isn't perfection obviously and not polished enough for an 8 or 9. Darkfall brings a NEW EXPERIENCE to the world of MMORPGs, WoW lovers will be DF haters, its almost obvious. DF is a hardcore game, where you actually aim your attacks (Although melee being fairly easy), it is a great game which brings CHANGE to MMOs. A change which is needed to escape the I give it a 7 because the game isn't perfection obviously and not polished enough for an 8 or 9. Darkfall brings a NEW EXPERIENCE to the world of MMORPGs, WoW lovers will be DF haters, its almost obvious. DF is a hardcore game, where you actually aim your attacks (Although melee being fairly easy), it is a great game which brings CHANGE to MMOs. A change which is needed to escape the dumb down MMOs of our time. Carebears might give it a 2/10 because they got killed and looted then go on a frustration rampage. That means you're not made for the game, stop crying and accept it! It's not a game where you go around and do duels and farm your epics. It's a world where you're in constant danger, where you actually feel a thrill of fear/adrenaline/intensity when you go outside the walls of your city. The game has a solid foundation, all it needs is polishing to make it shine. What I did not like was the "grind", it isn't supposed to be a grind since you have total freedom which is true, but they could make it easier to skill up as it is a long road ahead, too long for what it's worth. Ever dreamed of killing someone with a nice shiny armor set to then equip it on yourself? The satisfaction I got when it happened, is immense! Darkfall also provided the most intense PvP (Archer combats are the best) ,challenging and a lot of fun. It takes a lot of time to travel around the world which sometimes can be annoying, we always want it to be an instant gratification, darkfall is far from that. It's a game where you have to earn everything, no easy paths. Unless you're up for a challenge, avoid Darkfall. If you're an adventurer who wants total freedom and intense PvP, don't miss that game has it might be what you have been waiting for. Expand
  85. BRuinThunderhand
    May 7, 2009
    Not good enough to be anything more than a 6. The game is half-finished and needs work. If they ever deliver it will be a 9/10 in my book, but right now it's no better than a 6.
  86. ArpadV
    May 7, 2009
    Full-loot, full-PvP MMO. Competitive, challenging, needs time to master. 6/10 on graphics, 10/10 on atmosphere.
  87. OdinT
    May 7, 2009
    Excellent game and would recommend to everyone who enjoys PvP or a FPS style MMO. It is excellent with many features. Getting started takes a little time, but the initial investment is well worth it.
  88. BruceM
    May 7, 2009
    I have played this game since March 5, it has one of the steepest learning curves I have ever seen but is well worth the effort to learn. It is shameful that Aventurine has been damaged by the sad rantings of an immature loser who didn't make an honest attempt to play the game...
  89. JoëlF
    May 7, 2009
    Please do not take Eurogamer review into account, the reviewer spent barely 2 hours ingame and hated the game before playing. A lot of people love this game.
  90. SjaakT
    May 7, 2009
    Great game, great concept. More games should adapt the full pvp;full loot ruleset, it is awesome.
  91. VelleityR
    May 7, 2009
    Best sandbox PVP game out there. Fun PVP, Good community, worthy of investigation by anyone who likes the mmo genre.
  92. elanp
    May 7, 2009
    Great PvP game. Graphics are good, sounds and effects are solid, and the tense gameplay is something no other game creates as of now. Good work Adventurine!
  93. SamuelR
    May 7, 2009
    This game is total fresh of breath air on the MMO scene due to it's Hardcore nature of PvP. Which can be very rewarding or very frustrating (in a good way). It teaches you to be cautious, travel in numbers and to be wary of certain parts of the world/guilds. If you Die in Darkfall you stand to loose everything you ventured out with so lessons are learnt quickly. The combat isn't This game is total fresh of breath air on the MMO scene due to it's Hardcore nature of PvP. Which can be very rewarding or very frustrating (in a good way). It teaches you to be cautious, travel in numbers and to be wary of certain parts of the world/guilds. If you Die in Darkfall you stand to loose everything you ventured out with so lessons are learnt quickly. The combat isn't your typical one click, it's more like an FPS than anything else as every sword swipe or mana missile needs to be aimed and timed correctly to achieve success on the battleground. Nearly 90% of in game items now are user made so the Economy is vital to the games success, even mounts are created by the user through a taming skill. Given only a few months this game has been released, it's seen huge updates to balance the game and improve it for the users (me included) and I hope they continue to do these major overhauls to keep the game's community thriving. Disregard Eurogamers review as he doesn't have even a few days experience in this game, I'd go on MMORPG and check out the 60 day review which sheds more light on the game. Is it worth checking out now? Maybe.. if you've loved Ultima Online for the same feeling of looting someones gear or loosing your own Darkfall will appeal to you. Those wanting a rounded experience with bug free environments and battles, I'd suggest you hold your cash for now and give it a few more updates. The Majority of issues have been fixed though, only small bugs remain. Expand
  94. Itchy
    May 7, 2009
    This is truly one of the worst MMO's you could play, having played/endured it for 2 months in the hope it might get some content/gameplay added, I would highly recommend saving your money wait for some true reviews to appear (not the user vote spamming from DFO forum Fanboys on here in order to falsify the score) or just skip it altogether and wait for Mortal Online or something.
  95. seanw
    At minimum I can
  96. StefanJ
    May 7, 2009
    The game is completely brilliant and one of a kind. There are flaws though, but considering that it is in such an early stage of its development, its nothing that worries me. Huge weekly patches correct the things people complain about and it gives hope for the future. Now there is just PvE, sounds and UI left to be done.
  97. JA
    May 7, 2009
    I think the CORE of this game is awesome but it still has some room to sharpen things up. The developers seem to be on task and they listien to what the players want and usually have weekly updates. I would like to see more NPC's in towns and also wild life around the world to give it some life. I would also like to see weather, I think that would add to the game. In my eyes though, I think the CORE of this game is awesome but it still has some room to sharpen things up. The developers seem to be on task and they listien to what the players want and usually have weekly updates. I would like to see more NPC's in towns and also wild life around the world to give it some life. I would also like to see weather, I think that would add to the game. In my eyes though, this game will only get better! Expand
  98. Grayheart
    May 7, 2009
    This game fills a niche market that has been void since UO, pre-tram, but makes it much better.
  99. travisc
    May 7, 2009
    Nothing out there has this feature list. This is a game for players who like difficulty, a nice fresh breath from a genre filled with much-too-easy gaming.
  100. ChristianP
    May 7, 2009
    Best MMO I've played however there are still issues to be resolved. It's hard to tell until we get more patches but if they keep down the road they have been this will be a new benchmark in MMO standards. Would have given an 8 if it was not so hard to buy and the many issues during the first month.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Its skill system is like a twisted version of EVE Online's, without the intricacy or CCP's talent. Its mise-en-scène is somewhere between the grittiness of Conan and WAR's orcs and humans. Underneath the lack of originality, there's a hole where the game should be: a loose, incongruous mess of bad controls, horrible user interface, and broken combat system.
  2. Darkfall is definitely a good MMORPG. It's not for the new massive online game players, because the learning curve could be considered extreme and the PVP is based on the FFA loot system Ultima Online had, but hardcore players should enjoy their journey around the biggest world ever created for an MMORPG.