Darkfall Online PC

6.7

1. chrn
    May 8, 2009
    Game needs some polishing much like any other mmo but thers nothing like it in the market. Great team/alliance baseed play. Its got p[olitics, building/harvestine, war in small and large scales. game is amazing.
  2. JohanA
    May 8, 2009
    Its obviously that Eurogamer is an amateur to review games atleast. I mean they didnt even play the game. The game is getting better and better for every patch that comes.
  3. JamesH
    May 8, 2009
    This game is the epitome of potential, and I have to say that given the current state of MMO's this is probably the most passionate and talented development team to date. This game was not designed for the feint of heart.
  4. Billyh
    Aug 2, 2009
    While still not having enough features and toys to play with, Darkfall has more potential than any other MMO out there. They have created a seamless world that is a joy to explore
  5. HaloP
    May 8, 2009
    pros: - intense pvp fights - full loot - innovative use of 3d sounds - skill based character development - very unique playing experience cons: - early 2000 style graphics - crappy gui - needs lots and lots of balancing - crappy pve (few spawns, stupid ai, expoitable mobs, drops need balancing) - inadequate communication from developers, bad cs, purchasing options are still not clear, pros: - intense pvp fights - full loot - innovative use of 3d sounds - skill based character development - very unique playing experience cons: - early 2000 style graphics - crappy gui - needs lots and lots of balancing - crappy pve (few spawns, stupid ai, expoitable mobs, drops need balancing) - inadequate communication from developers, bad cs, purchasing options are still not clear, homepage does not reflect the state of the game - big skill gap between early starters and new players due to old exploits that have been fixed and balancing issues - half of the promised features are not yet implemented - game is really in a beta stage. Expand
  6. colutrb
    May 9, 2009
    I have been playing DFO since release and it is easily the best MMO out right now. I read the review given by eurogamer and there is no way they played the same game I pay for.
  7. TazV
    May 19, 2009
    This is a great game for those who know what they are looking for. Full loot MMO in non instanced world, with FPS elements, and clan warfare/politics. The game is becoming better every week since the company is patching actively to improve gameplay and balance. People might complain it's "too hard" - and they might be right. This is not a ride in a theme-park type of game. But once This is a great game for those who know what they are looking for. Full loot MMO in non instanced world, with FPS elements, and clan warfare/politics. The game is becoming better every week since the company is patching actively to improve gameplay and balance. People might complain it's "too hard" - and they might be right. This is not a ride in a theme-park type of game. But once you get the hang of it, the rewards are incredible. Better than anything you would get from WoW(and I have played wow at a very high level) or similar games. Expand
  8. BRuinThunderhand
    May 7, 2009
    Not good enough to be anything more than a 6. The game is half-finished and needs work. If they ever deliver it will be a 9/10 in my book, but right now it's no better than a 6.
  9. GuyS
    May 7, 2009
    Darkfall is a great PvP and GvG game. The player has complete freedom to play his character as he/she wishes. The lack of auto-targeting is a great enhancement to PvP MMOs increasing the player skill required to be successful. Button mashing will not win fights in DF. Bugs still need to be worked out. Game performance is increasing every patch. Overall, the game concept is a 10/10 and the Darkfall is a great PvP and GvG game. The player has complete freedom to play his character as he/she wishes. The lack of auto-targeting is a great enhancement to PvP MMOs increasing the player skill required to be successful. Button mashing will not win fights in DF. Bugs still need to be worked out. Game performance is increasing every patch. Overall, the game concept is a 10/10 and the actual mechanics just need polishing which is happening every day. As of the end of beta, Darkfall was 6/10 and improving. Expand
  10. AlexanderH
    May 19, 2009
    This is the second coming of Ultima Online. If you enjoyed UO, you will love this game! The developer support for the game is tremendous and it will continue to evolve.
  11. Jan 23, 2011
    Darkfall is a PvP oriented sandbox MMORPG, based in real-time combat system (like Oblivion). Developer is Aventurine S.A., a small independent greek company. The game has gone retail only in Greece, as no official publisher has announced a worldwide retail version for up to date. Thus, the game is sold online through DarkfallOnline.com.

Basic details In Darkfall, players can choose from 6

Basic details
    In Darkfall, players can choose from 6 races: Humans, Dwarves, Mirdain (Elves), Orks, Mahirims (Werewolves) and Alfars (Night Elves). The game has an open world where PvP is allowed anywhere outside NPC city limits. Graphics have a realistic appearance, with handmade buildings and beautiful looking ships. Character models lack anti-aliasing, while the sound itself is ok with some environmental sounds missing. Gameplay
    The gameplay is the strong part of the game. An open world means that you can actually move your character to dive into water or climb any mountain. Combat system is balanced, as there are no levels. Players only improve their skills from a 1-100 range. When they reach 50 and 75 in Melee and Archery masteries, they can buy new skills. Plus, when their magic skills reach 25, 50 and 75, they can unlock new magic schools and buy magic efficiency upgrades. In general, Melee, Archery and Magic combat can be combined all together as there are no limits on how to battle, cast spells or heal. Besides the open PvP, Darkfall is also a crafting based game, as all basic in-game items are crafted by players themselves. Differences between races only have to do with unique skills. For example, Dwarves can have durability bonuses to their items, Alfars and Humans can increase their maximum mana, Orks can increase their maximum health etc. A.I. of all mobs is also high, plus there are no clues of where mobs are hiding, which means players have to trust browser-based maps like the famous yourmom map (http://feylines.net/yourmom/compatible.aspx) to be able to find their desired farming spots and city locations.

Darkfall combines three genres in one: MMORPG, First-Person Shooter and Strategy. Camera is permanently in third-person view, but it switches to first-person when a staff or bow is equipped. Strategy elements only exist in Player Cities, where Generals can build buildings, upgrade them or build cannons. Clans and Sieges
    Darkfall Online has two servers, European and US, both holding up to 10.000 players on each. There are about 100 player cities which can be captured by Clans. Sieges can take part in any time, 22 hours after the attacking clan has declared a siege. Battles are vast, with hundreads of players fighting all together. This also causes some server lag in certain areas. By collecting a vast amount of resources, players can create Ships Warhulks and Artillieries, which they can use in sieges to take advantage of their firepower. Naval battles usually take place during sieges or sea fortress sieges (Sea fortresses are captures temporarily for some days). Ships differ from small boats with 1-3 cannons, to huge frigates with dozens of cannons and floors on them. During battles, players can use cannons to fire, cast spells, swim across the enemy ship or dive and fight in the open sea.

Closing comments
    With the largest and non-instanced world that has ever been created, Darkfall is perhaps the most competitive next-gen MMORPG. The fact that itâ
  12. Nov 9, 2010
    Now, for why Darkfall sucks.

I'm going to discuss these topics: PvE and Quests Content PvP Progression Lets begin! PvE and Quests I am sure I don't have to explain quests in Darkfall. They are generic quests you'd see in an Asian MMORPG. Kill this many mobs, collect this many resources, time limit quests. Not very unique and noone really cares about quests do they? So it would be
    Now, for why Darkfall sucks.

I'm going to discuss these topics:

PvE and Quests
    Content
    PvP
    Progression

Lets begin!

PvE and Quests

I am sure I don't have to explain quests in Darkfall. They are generic quests you'd see in an Asian MMORPG. Kill this many mobs, collect this many resources, time limit quests. Not very unique and noone really cares about quests do they? So it would be unfair for me to rate the game based on a flawed mechanic in MMORPGS.

PvE is also a bit uninteresting. There are no strategies or technique to kill mobs except exploit them if they are too tough or round up some friends to take it on. But who cares about PvE?

Content

By content, I mean what you can do in the game. So Darkfall is a Free for All Full Loot PVP game where anyone can kill anyone. Sounds cool, but where are you going to find anyone that isn't protected by Guard Towers or macroing in Guild Cities.

You can find the occasional harvesters but it's not fun killing people that are defenseless. Sure it's rewarding and theres nothing wrong with it but I want to be able to compete vs others.

Now that brings me to my next point. Where the **** is everyone? I can ride around the damn world without finding one damn person. Everyone is so damn concentrated. It's impossible to solo without resorting to constant naked raids in guild cities stealing mounts and killing afk macros for reagents and arrows (profitable, but boring).

You can ditch the PvP and try crafting. I do like the concept of crafting and how you can make the best equipment compared vs PvE. Sadly for me it takes eternity to get the materials to craft. It also takes eternity to skill up high enough where you don't fail and waste your reagents on something you really want.

Now you say, why don't you join a guild and do sieges?

Because I have to pay taxes. Taxes is what guilds use to build up there city. Which is understandable. But since it takes so damn long to get resources that I would be spending my entire time to harvest to pay some Roleplaying overlord his damn money.

So for content. The world is big, but not populated. You can only pvp with fun if your in a guild but you have to pay taxes. Loving it.

PvP

Now heres something that matters. PvP. Competition. Whos better then the other is boiled down to 1v1 duels. Who can outplay the other?

Not in Darkfall.

Character Skill surpasses any Player Skill unless your like Slayers_boxerS (if you don't know him your obviously an mmorpg noob that doesn't play actual quality games or genres).

Lets over simplify Character Skill vs Player Skill

Character Skill Advantages: More damage, Less damage taken, More health, More Stamina, More HP regen, More Stamina Regen, More skills to assist you (whirlwind, power thrust, magic)

Player Skill Advantages: More hits on the other, Less hits on you, Better stamina management, Better movement, Smarter Decisions.

Now, what everyone (including myself) would say Player Skill would demolish the MMORPG grinding noob. Except the gains and skills you "earn" (grind and afk macroing) are much too massive. It also doesn't help that Darkfalls Combat System is much much too easy. So the MMORPG grinding noob has as much capability as you do because the game just blatantly doesnt have enough room for skill to completely outplay everyone.

Compare the combat in Darkfall to FPS games such as Savage 2(infinite ways to outplay multiple opponents and single enemies), Team Fortress 2 (1 scout vs 2 scout is only winnable by only the best of scouts) CoD4(1v10 is possible with smarts, clutches, and skill)
    Darkfall is too archaic to have any impressive outplays. You move too slow when you move backwards and 50% slower when moving to the sides. So you might as well tape down W and expose your back sometimes to outmanuever yoru opponent. It's just Character Skills that matter in this game, the Combat is just too simple. One last note for PvP. Stamina is so poorly done in this game. Stamina is usually implemented to avoid spamming hits or abusing sprint. But in this game if you run out of stam you are ****ED. Whenever you get hit you lose stamina so you cant tank or walk dodge your way to enough stamina to finish him off. The stamina system in this game just doesn't promote skill. Progression Not much too say. Skilling up is excruciatingly slow and boring. You may say, If you want to be a Fire Mage then use Fire Magic. Except you need to be extremely rich and grind reagents all day and then macro for 1 week to get enough Fire Magic to be useful. Now Darkfall is a game where if you don't like being one thing, you can switch to the other. But do you really want to go through the system again? Once you specialize your that class until you die of Grind Boredom. Don't you dare say you don't need to Macro or Grind in this game.
  13. MichaelW
    May 15, 2009
    This is a great game that still needs some polishing, is brutal to those that are new to hardcore PVP, and is not for the faint of heart. If you are used to having your hand held and a medal awarded for every act you accomplish this is not your game. If your willing to invest the time with a guild and learn the ropes under fire then this just may be for you. Solo play for this game is not This is a great game that still needs some polishing, is brutal to those that are new to hardcore PVP, and is not for the faint of heart. If you are used to having your hand held and a medal awarded for every act you accomplish this is not your game. If your willing to invest the time with a guild and learn the ropes under fire then this just may be for you. Solo play for this game is not recommended but can work for you if you are really quick on your feet. I personally do not see many solo players for to long. Safety in numbers is the name of this game. Expand
  14. MarkW
    Nov 20, 2009
    I'm tempted to give it a much lower score, but in all honesty it's a little bit below average. I followed it for 5 years, beta tested it, subscribed and then canceled after a month. The original idea was brilliant, unfortunately Aventurine and Tasos are idiots. It would have been an awesome game if they would have included 10% of what they promised, instead they released a bare I'm tempted to give it a much lower score, but in all honesty it's a little bit below average. I followed it for 5 years, beta tested it, subscribed and then canceled after a month. The original idea was brilliant, unfortunately Aventurine and Tasos are idiots. It would have been an awesome game if they would have included 10% of what they promised, instead they released a bare bones prototype and charged the highest price in mmo gaming history. In the hands of anyone but these idiots the game could have been in the top 10. Expand
  15. JargoM
    Nov 12, 2009
    Great concept that had me eager for years but was poorly implemented and policing was even poorer. Wandering the world I found many people who didn't respond to anything... just fired spells into space until you killed them. This quickly lead to people who were obscenely powerful just days after the game came out, keeping down players who weren't them. The botting killed this Great concept that had me eager for years but was poorly implemented and policing was even poorer. Wandering the world I found many people who didn't respond to anything... just fired spells into space until you killed them. This quickly lead to people who were obscenely powerful just days after the game came out, keeping down players who weren't them. The botting killed this game for me within a week. Expand
  16. GradyT
    May 6, 2009
    I give this game an 8/10. I love the game, its got all the elements a true MMORPG gamer could want, but it has the potential to do so much more. I still have faith in Aventurine to accomplish all their dreams/goals for this game, but they need time and most of the players understand that. Eagerly awaiting the next and all subsequent patches.
  17. mh
    Jan 14, 2010
    A refreshingly original take on a genre inundated with 'WOW-clones' - the no-holds-barred PVP is a bit too much for 'soft' mainstream gamers... which will lead you to love it or hate it. Easily the best PVP MMO on the market right now, and only getting better with age.
  18. rc
    Jan 31, 2010
    Excellent, excellent MMORPG! I have tried everything from Meridian, EQ, EQ2, AO, WoW, AoC, UO, TR, etc, etc, etc... None of them even begin to compare to how fun and involving this game is. Full loot PVP, and an amazingly huge, open world. This is what you have been waiting for!
  19. TravisG
    May 7, 2009
    No other game like it, abseloutely cutthroat. The starting mobs on this game will own half of the WoW playerbase. Not for new gamers.
    May 7, 2009
    Graphics: + Beautiful world; no repetition, even after walking for hours. + Awesome Night and Day graphics + Scales wonderfully (200v200 runs like a charm on my laptop) + Dynamic soft shadows + Allows fine control of all options (down to setting the number of dynamic lights as an actual number) - Sometimes not bad models - Animations sometimes bad (though they're being improved) - Graphics: + Beautiful world; no repetition, even after walking for hours. + Awesome Night and Day graphics + Scales wonderfully (200v200 runs like a charm on my laptop) + Dynamic soft shadows + Allows fine control of all options (down to setting the number of dynamic lights as an actual number) - Sometimes not bad models - Animations sometimes bad (though they're being improved) - Technicaly outdated for year 2009 While the graphics aren't perfect, the scalability of the engine combined with how amazing the game can look at times still surprise me sometimes. While watching beta videos might leave a player wondering how anyone could play a game with such horrible animations, they have been improved in more than one patch recently. Overall, Darkfall strikes a good balance between graphical quality and accessibility on older machines. Score: 7 Sound: + Music is atmospheric and doesn't distract from the game (or Ventrillo chatter) + Combat is heard before it is seen. - In large battles, the sound of 512 players' footsteps being played at once is maddening. - Volume control broken on Windows XP Sound is an area that has relieved mixed comments. I personally like the sound when I'm venturing around by myself or in a small party, but it can get quite annoying in larger confrontations. Adding to the sound's issues, the game's Volume Control is based around the Vista scheme: it assumes that each program has its own separate volume setting in system options, and attempts to lower that. For XP users, this means that muting Darkfall's sound will mute all of your sound, including important things like Ventrillo. Score: 5 Balance: I agree with this from the OP, so I'll just leave it here. Strangely, the topic that was barely raised in Darkfall, due to nature of a game and skillbased progression system. Everything feels quite balanced, polearms were claimed to be OP and few other minor things; but from my assessment there REALLY wasn't any serious balancing issues, and the minor that were were fixed really fast. The only "balance" issue would be people who raised their rigor due to exploit, but that's about it. PvE is fine. Even best PvPer in best armor stocked with pots e.t.c can be taken down by few naked people if they know their game, although it wouldn't be easy. Score: 9 Atmosphere: + World design: No copy-pasting and retexturing + Politics similar to EVE, except that limited city locations lead to more necessity for conflict. + Gameworld matches up to the lore + Music complements the atmosphere - Playerbase sometimes hostile to newcomers. Score: 10 Operation: + Flexible UI + UI minimalism helps immersion N UI learning curve N Lack of plugins - Chat Interface - Journal and Clan page interfaces Darkfall's UI is perhaps the best out-of-the box UI I've worked with, ever. It has a rather steep learning curve, but Race chat should be willing to answer any questions you have about it. Windows can be moved to any location on the screen, given custom transparencies, and pinned / unpinned from the combat HUD. Once you get everything set up how you want it, there is a sense of satisfaction - you created that. Later, if you decide you'd rather have it organized differently, you can simply move your windows around in a few mouse clicks. Unlike other games there is no need (and no availability) for third-party plug-ins. Right-clicking to switch between the full UI and the combat HUD is a wonderful flashback to Morrowind, and while it takes a little getting used to, it feels quite intuitive after a couple of hours. The journal and clan pages use a somewhat clunky web-based interface - it takes just a little while longer to load that I would like, and are generally two of the things that receives across-the-board negative reception. Thankfully, you won't need to be using them very often. The chat system is another common complaint. Chat is split into "tabs" - /race, /racealliance, /party, /clan, /clanalliance, /say, tells, and more recently, /trade. They can be selected by clicking them, or by pressing enter and using Ctrl+Tab to cycle tabs. What the chat system lacks is a way to integrate multiple tabs into one meta-tab; it can get annoying to constantly have to cycle through chat channels to view new messages. Most clans use Ventrillo as a primary means of communication for this reason. Score: 7 Scope: + HUGE world + Seamless and non-repetitive terrain + player built cities + naval warfare + mounted combat + Sandbox 'Goals' Score: 10 Quests: Quests are... there. They reference the lore rather often, especially after the first few starter quests, but overall are nothing special. Then again, Darkfall is a PvP-focused game, and quests aren't really all that central to its quality at all. Most people don't bother progressing far into the quest lines. Score: 4 Character System: + Skill based development - Most players at the moment have focused on the easy / fast route (melee + archery), so there's less diversification than some would like. Good, but it could offer more potential for diversification, but that will come with time. EVE's progression was quite simplistic at first as well. Score: 8 Combat System: + twitch based melee combat + fps aim for archery and magery + mounted combat + naval combat + big and massive pvp encounters + player skill and character skill both matter + "Real-world" stealth - no invisibility. ++ Full Loot! N Some players report unplayable framerates in massive (500 v 500) battles, but any newer computer should be able to handle it. - latency (not a big deal for most) - Players opting for the easy route in skilling up make battles less unique than they could be with more diversification Ranged combat in Darkfall is a blast, both attacking and dodging projectiles. Hitting your target comes down almost entirely to your (player) skill with he bow, or with the spell you're firing. Melee also requires skill, mostly at dodging the other player's attacks while hitting them with your own. It may start to seem a little repetitive at times though - most players currently use a two-handed melee weapon and a bow, as there is far less cost in gaining these skills than higher magics. With a little more diversification, combat would be flawless. Also, there is no invisibility stealth, and camouflaged (i.e. leather or cloth) / non-shiny armors won't help you slip out of sight after you've been spotted, but there are definate stealth elements to the game. Since everybody's camera is fixed to their character's eyes (or a short distance behind the character with a drawn melee weapon) in most cases (exceptions = mounted and resting), you can pretty easily move up on a target undetected if you stay out of their line of sight and more quietly. From behind isn't much of an issue, you just crouchwalk up on them, utilizing terrain to stay out of view just in case. Approaching from the front is near impossible, so you can use the terrain to circle around a target, shoot him with arrows (get him surrounded for best effect, there's nothing like getting suddenly peppered with arrows from multiple directions), or wait for him to walk by. There is a lot of quick thinking and player skill involved in moving undetected. Score: 9 Items: + Player - Driven economy + Items are replaceable + Variance across items of the same type related to crafter + Game doesn't come down to gear, gear only helps tilt the balance. - crafting large numbers of items can be a chore, needs a "Craft All" button Darkfall is not another item-based game, thankfully. It couldn't be, when you lose everything you're carrying on death. Items do, on the other hand, help to skew the odds in your favor - you'll hit harder with a rank 40 sword than a rank 0 one, but not by too much. Players can craft 90% of the items in the game, with most of the rest being crafting tools, player-gathered resources, or mob-specific types of armor (which are uniformly worse than similar armors when made by crafters). A major gripe, however, is that it takes too long to craft large numbers of items. Personally, I feel that the time investment itself is not an issue; the issue is that the player must manually click the "create" button once for each item he or she intends to make, then wait until that one is done and repeat. Score: 7 Overall: graphics: 7 sound: 5 balance: 9 atmosphere: 10 operation: 7 scope: 10 quests: 4 character system: 8 combat system: 9 items: 7 With even weights: 76 / 100 Personally I'd round it up to an eight on a 10 point scale. Also keep in mind that my scale is weighted with 50% (5) being average. Expand
  21. JakeH
    May 7, 2009
    Not really a good game to play overall. The PvE doesn't meet todays standards, the PvP is ok but isn't what it should be (spam mouse1 and circle a player?), the crafting system is basically stand at a tree for an hour, you say that for just about every single skill in the game too, and the world is just empty as can be of life.
  22. BrandonW
    May 7, 2009
    This game is not worth a monthly subscription of ANY amount, and certainly not worth $52 or so to buy. While it is clearly a labor of love (The entire world is hand-made, and detailed), it doesn't save itself from a sloppy interface, cumbersome controls and a community about as welcoming and helpful as a pit of snakes. While things do get better many hours into the game when you get This game is not worth a monthly subscription of ANY amount, and certainly not worth $52 or so to buy. While it is clearly a labor of love (The entire world is hand-made, and detailed), it doesn't save itself from a sloppy interface, cumbersome controls and a community about as welcoming and helpful as a pit of snakes. While things do get better many hours into the game when you get a better handle on what's going on, they only become tolerable, not good. Avoid this one. Expand
  23. jb
    Aug 13, 2009
    Summarized nicely by users Marcus J and H S. My problems are antiquated graphics, no 64 bit platform support, shoddy animations, unbalanced magic classes, a grind that would give EvE a run for its money, worst customer relations for any mmo * a month without a new update for example *, inane travel options with nothing to bridge the world together, pointless ship mechanics, pointless Summarized nicely by users Marcus J and H S. My problems are antiquated graphics, no 64 bit platform support, shoddy animations, unbalanced magic classes, a grind that would give EvE a run for its money, worst customer relations for any mmo * a month without a new update for example *, inane travel options with nothing to bridge the world together, pointless ship mechanics, pointless personal housing, and a quickly fading server population in short are all the problems with this below-mediocre game. Good luck staying afloat Aventurine you will certainly need it. Expand
  24. bryanw
    May 6, 2009
    Anyone who reviews it like its the next WoW clone is a fucking carebear fag that needs to STFU never had more fun in my life then when i do defending my clans former city.
  25. Itchy
    May 7, 2009
    This is truly one of the worst MMO's you could play, having played/endured it for 2 months in the hope it might get some content/gameplay added, I would highly recommend saving your money wait for some true reviews to appear (not the user vote spamming from DFO forum Fanboys on here in order to falsify the score) or just skip it altogether and wait for Mortal Online or something.
  26. Max
    May 7, 2009
    Game which has no redeeming features aside form full loot and world pvp. It sports one of the most horrible skills and resources grinds, one the most broken and incomplete UI on top of very laggy and often crashing servers. I do not even mention the non existent content. Awfull combat and skill system which has no room for variety or skill Only good quality is world which is interesting Game which has no redeeming features aside form full loot and world pvp. It sports one of the most horrible skills and resources grinds, one the most broken and incomplete UI on top of very laggy and often crashing servers. I do not even mention the non existent content. Awfull combat and skill system which has no room for variety or skill Only good quality is world which is interesting to explore. Expand
  27. SteveL
    May 8, 2009
    This game is not for you. I'm not sure who it is for, but it is not for you. This is made clear by the devs who have make it virtually impossible to actually buy the game. Mechanics are dated and clunky. Graphics are dated. The artwork is generic fantasy fluff. Bah! Beta was enough for me.
  28. KuppanenD
    Dec 30, 2009
    Darkfall, the best concept ever created but to be honest, it had the worst pvp ever. No skill cap, makes the game unfriendly for anyone who starts the game now. Ridiculous grind in everyway. The only really good things in DFO was somewhat beatiful world and I really liked the pve.
  29. GradRock
    May 7, 2009
    PvP is what this game is about. It is not about grinding all your Skills (No Levels) to the max. A skilled first day player can kill an unskilled max character. It is not about gathering pixils, weapons, armor and such. Sure they help but a nakid player can kill a fully geared player. It's about Politics, Intrigue, conquering the world, building an empire, defending an empire and PvP is what this game is about. It is not about grinding all your Skills (No Levels) to the max. A skilled first day player can kill an unskilled max character. It is not about gathering pixils, weapons, armor and such. Sure they help but a nakid player can kill a fully geared player. It's about Politics, Intrigue, conquering the world, building an empire, defending an empire and probably re-building said empire. Yes its a new game, some of the features promised are not in, yet. The GUI is clunky and not very user friendly. The controls are FPS style WASD with a hotbar for fast switching and using skills and or items. Graphics are nothing to rave about, I rate them with Vanguards. There are some weird anomalies with the graphics, such as seems in the world, where between server lines you can see light that should not be there. The community are a bunch of pricks, but I love em! Expand
  30. Richardp
    May 7, 2009
    A diamond in the rough, darkfall Online is the kind of game many have been wanting for a long time. it is still needs work on the UI, tweaks to skilling and combat, and features that haven't made it to release. Still in its infancy, many changes and improvements are anticipated over the first months (like in any MMO) Empire building, politics, large scale war, FPS combat, and free A diamond in the rough, darkfall Online is the kind of game many have been wanting for a long time. it is still needs work on the UI, tweaks to skilling and combat, and features that haven't made it to release. Still in its infancy, many changes and improvements are anticipated over the first months (like in any MMO) Empire building, politics, large scale war, FPS combat, and free will are the basics of this game. This game is declared a Niche game, not meant for the average "theme-park" gamer. User discretion is advised! Overall it is a good game, IF you are the right type of gamer. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Its skill system is like a twisted version of EVE Online's, without the intricacy or CCP's talent. Its mise-en-scène is somewhere between the grittiness of Conan and WAR's orcs and humans. Underneath the lack of originality, there's a hole where the game should be: a loose, incongruous mess of bad controls, horrible user interface, and broken combat system.
  2. Darkfall is definitely a good MMORPG. It's not for the new massive online game players, because the learning curve could be considered extreme and the PVP is based on the FFA loot system Ultima Online had, but hardcore players should enjoy their journey around the biggest world ever created for an MMORPG.