7.2

1. Dec 8, 2013
    The game itself has some of the best Open World PvP potential I've ever seen in a game, in fact I would say this is the best I've seen since Shadowbane. On top of a fleshed out MMO world players can build and battle over pretty much anything. It looks good, it's thrilling to play, and it has massive potential.

Unfortunately it's a great game with a bad business model. Indie MMO's can't

Unfortunately it's a great game with a bad business model. Indie MMO's can't afford to have a big pay gate preventing new players from coming in. Players are content, and in this MMO that's more true than in most MMO's.

A lot of gamers won't buy an Indie MMO who would have otherwise pay for a subscription to one. I sincerely hope future indie MMO's figure this out.
  2. May 1, 2013
    Overall a better effort than the first game. Vast imrovements on user interface and combat, still it is plagued by grinding. Also the lack of traditional quests might discourage those who are looking for more RPG elements. It's strongest feature is the real time PvP. For hardcore players only.
  3. May 4, 2013
    Darkfall Unholy Wars is an unfinished game. It's poorly optimized and as such runs quite poorly. Expect long load times when recalling and entering the game for the first time. This is not a game I'd recommended to my friends.

Graphics The graphics are bland and uninspired. Expect a lot of pop-in as you walk around in the open world. Their are some bugs that cause FPS to drop into the 1 to 5 FPS range or even cause what at first appears to be a crash. The bugs will most likely get patched but it wont change the fact the game is unimpressive looking at even the highest quality settings.

Sound Clunk, Bang, Groan, Thud. Over and over again. It's an MMO with a lot of grinding involved so expect to be loading up your personal MP3 collection shortly. The music in the game does lend itself to establish an atmosphere, but you'll frequently be hearing the same tune.

Game play A lot of grinding here. The game doesn't have a traditional level system and instead uses a skill buy system. As you complete feats in the game you'll get skill points. You can then allocate skill points as you choose to your various skills. Their are a lot of feats and lot of different ways to earn points. However, like most MMOs they don't want you to max out your character too soon as such expect to grind a lot before you can be effective in PVP.

PVP This is a large focus of the game. Combat is responsive, plays fairly well, and seems to be mostly problem free. Once you're towards the end of the level grind you can expect that PVP is where you'll spend your time. As such, it feels well tested, well balanced for a new MMO, and overall it's a good experience. Throw in guild based housing, assaults on said housing, and an open loot system and you've got a good formula for intense, meaningful combat.

My Conclusion The level grind is required to be able to get into the PVP system. If the main meat of the game is PVP I just have one question. Why should anyone pay a subscription for this game? A lot of games out there offer good PVP systems on a one time fee or on a free-to-play basis. This game feels like it should be in the free-to-play category. Right now theirs not enough in the game to justify having a monthly subscription. Combat is fun but quickly turns frustrating when losing or ganked. You'll need a guild or a good size group of friends to really adventure with. If you're a solo player you should probably avoid Darkfall.

Overall this game is boring with players providing the real challenge in the game. It never really seems to earn it's $14.95 monthly subscription fee. It feels like an MMO from before the World of Warcraft era and it doesn't look that much
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. May 17, 2013
    Darkfall: Unholy Wars is a unique title. Full-loot, full-PvP, in a huge sandbox is a daunting and grueling mechanic for an MMO. But it makes for an experience like no other MMO. The combat is fast paced, crafting is integral and character progression is constant. In addition to this, clan warfare is highly encouraged, allowing for full on clan battles, which is where the fun starts. Aventurine have made a good go of polishing up their game from the first iteration of Darkfall. Unholy Wars truly shows off what a hardcore MMORPG really is and can be.