Darkspore PC

6.0

1. Oct 27, 2013
    Tries to mix Diablo style gameplay with League of Legends style "heroes". It's a pretty forgettable dungeon crawler that tries to force you into co-op whether you want it or not. Personally I'd rather not be forced to play with other if I don't want to.
  2. Aug 22, 2013
    Purchased this game on Steam. Attempted to register and game declares an error everytime. UNPLAYABLE. Could be because of region. Anyways. This game has an always online requirement so when the servers are shut down no one will be able to play it. For me, It's already unplayable. Another Maxis-EA POS. Avoid like the plague. You have been warned.

THE GROT REVIEW CRITERIA: After a long

3. Jun 22, 2012
    Good games to play if you like coops rpg game. The Idea is good (monster creation etc). Quite repetitive, sometimes boring, the stages are look alike one another in campaign. Vast Squad & Equipment customization. Overall: Good, but need of CONSTANT internet connection can be found disturbing.
  4. Jun 17, 2012
    It's a good time killer. Great for those people who have to unlock everthing. It is extremely linear, though. There's no real exploring to do. It lacks any real storyline. Pretty much just a basic hack and slash. The character editor is kinda fun - it's build around Spore's creature creator.

Still a better game than Diablo 3.
  5. Jun 14, 2011
    I played the beta and got pretty bored of it quickly. It was interesting, and fun at times.. but its just lacking.. I don't know what, no more interest in this game. 5 / 10
  6. May 12, 2011
    It can get pretty tedious. I can understand grinding for weapons or cash, but the fact is you need to complete earlier missions more than once just to be able to do the next one without dying. IMO, that's just terrible scaling. If you enjoy collecting a lot of loot, the game has a lot of that. Don't let the "creator" fool you though, it's just a glorified equipment screen, not a placeIt can get pretty tedious. I can understand grinding for weapons or cash, but the fact is you need to complete earlier missions more than once just to be able to do the next one without dying. IMO, that's just terrible scaling. If you enjoy collecting a lot of loot, the game has a lot of that. Don't let the "creator" fool you though, it's just a glorified equipment screen, not a place where you can customize your character's look much. Overall, OK if you just need another time waster, but don't feel like you're missing anything profound. Expand
  7. Apr 28, 2011
    Imagine a taking the only worthwhile aspect of Spore - The Creature Creator - and then removing it. Or, imagine taking Diablo II, removing the creative level design and giving each playable character only 3 skills. Yes, you can unlock tons of different creatures to play as in the game, but their looks and skills are locked, all you can do is add superficial changes like extra horns andImagine a taking the only worthwhile aspect of Spore - The Creature Creator - and then removing it. Or, imagine taking Diablo II, removing the creative level design and giving each playable character only 3 skills. Yes, you can unlock tons of different creatures to play as in the game, but their looks and skills are locked, all you can do is add superficial changes like extra horns and twigs, which may or may not increase certain stats but add nothing to the core gameplay. Also the level design tends to be boring, uninspired, and it just doesn't have any tile variation or details that will make one level of the jungle planet look any different from the next level. I'm giving the game a 5 because it executed the basics with competence, but as a game it's just not that memorable of a gaming experience. Expand
  8. Apr 28, 2011
    Darkspore fails to offer anything new to the Action RPG genre that actually improves the gameplay itself. Sure, you can customize the look of your characters (which you can hardly notice unless you make everything extremely large) more than most games, but what does that really add to the game? Once you get past that you're left with a repetitive action rpg that's severely lacking when itDarkspore fails to offer anything new to the Action RPG genre that actually improves the gameplay itself. Sure, you can customize the look of your characters (which you can hardly notice unless you make everything extremely large) more than most games, but what does that really add to the game? Once you get past that you're left with a repetitive action rpg that's severely lacking when it comes to actual gameplay customization. Expand
  9. Apr 28, 2011
    Not bad!

Not bad!

After playing it for just a short while, any doubt I had about this purchase was quickly washed away. My friends all had a blast playing it together and I can see us becoming quite addicted to it. I'm excited to play it again tonight! As you progress through the game, you will increase in levels. Your levels don't actually dictate the strengths of your heroes, but rather how many heroes you can unlock. As you might've already heard, there's 100 heroes. As you increase in levels, you are given access to more heroes but you can only unlock a few. (For example, a few levels into the game will give you access to more than 10 heroes but you may only be able to unlock 4 of them.) There's only a few genuinely different hero characters, then the heroes begin to repeat previous iterations but have different stats and abilities. The hero editor is nowhere near as indepth as Spore's creature editor was, but still proves plenty of options. All heroes have preset appearances and you can add chunks of gear you find onto them to change their appearances. Not only that, but you can move or remove certain appendages and details from a heroes body as well as change their colors and color patterns. The end result is that you and a friend can have 2 of the exact same hero and end up looking completely different from each other. .

The concept of Darkspore is simple (a bit too simple) You are set loose upon a level, and you kill your way through to the end. Just how "simple" this actually is in terms of difficulty varies, since the enemies on the map are random every time. The maps themselves are not. Which is disappointing given the already linear nature of some of the levels. Other levels are a tad different from "kill-your-way-to-the-end" and require some exploration to complete. The story is unfortunately quite meaningless. You can literally write up your own insane lines to accompany every nigh-pointless cutscenes and it wouldn't make any more or less sense. Levels are visually pleasing, and the soundtrack is amazing.

Fighting enemies is a lot of fun. Every enemy of different types have unique traits to them, from the massive juggernaut enemies to small grunts, they all have something special to them. In large groups, these enemies combine their strengths and weaknesses and can be a pretty stiff obstacle even if approached with caution. Just as your group of heroes attempt to use squad tactics, the enemies will too. Upon reaching the final areas of the level, you'll encounter a Horde of enemies which can put your group through it's paces, until finally a boss enemy spawns. The bosses are quite tough, are flanked by minions, and definitely require teamwork to bring down. The end chapter bosses are pretty insane too.

Combining abilities amongst your friend's heroes is a lot of fun as well. The game is marketed as having a lot of "ability combinations" and "squad tactics". I was worried that this would be a load of baloney and just boil down to mindless murdering everything. To a certain extent, it is. But I was quite surprised that these terms turned out to be truer than I thought. Especially when you get attacked by groups of powerful enemies. For those of you who enjoy teamwork with your friends, you'll love combining hero abilities together, and sometimes are even essential to the survival of your team. The large selection of heroes makes squad tactics very interesting, with attacks that cripple enemies, slow them down, and debuff them, as well as supporting abilities that heal your team or provide them with powerful buffs. You can have a squad of 3 heroes active at a time when you enter a level. You can switch between these heroes whenever you want, however upon switching, a long cooldown is imposed to prevent you from switching constantly without any constraint. Switching itself also poses a problem as it leaves you temporarily frozen in place and vulnerable to attack. With a group of friends each with completely different heroes, you can switch "roles" on the fly keeping gameplay constantly fresh throughout the level and never leaving you pigeonholed into one spot. It's a clever system.

However, for all the positives I mentioned, there is one crucial thing that you must know, this is a coop multiplayer experience and is best played with at least 2-3 friends. Me and my friends are always on the lookout for games like this, and this proved to be up to par with us and gives us a lot of fun. If you plan on buying the game for yourself, then I won't be surprised if you are turned off by this game. That fact alone prevents me from giving it more than a 7 because of the multiplayer "requirement". The price will also turn many people off, as it did with me as well. But seeing how much fun we are having, I have no doubt at all that we will get many hours of enjoyment out of it. And to us, that makes it worth it!
  10. Apr 26, 2011
    If your looking for some diablo style hack and slash its not a bad game. Instead of any character customization (other then gear) there is just a ton of different guys to unlock. I prefer the diablo style character customization better but its ok. If your on a budget i would wait for the price to drop, i doubt you will have to wait long.
  11. May 4, 2011
    I've noticed that this game is taking a lot of flak from reviewers whether they be from the press or simply users so I feel as though I need to give another opinion or other players will pass this game by: First of all if you are a fan of action-rpgs, this is not a game you should pass by. At its core Darkspore does a lot of things right with the play style that ARPG fans have come toI've noticed that this game is taking a lot of flak from reviewers whether they be from the press or simply users so I feel as though I need to give another opinion or other players will pass this game by: First of all if you are a fan of action-rpgs, this is not a game you should pass by. At its core Darkspore does a lot of things right with the play style that ARPG fans have come to enjoy. If you like Gauntlet, Diablo, Torchlight, Borderlands then you will love the action and loot systems in this game. The character customization isn't necessarily my cup of tea per say but it's there, and it's rather in depth and it works. The squad system which allows you to combine 3 heroes that share certain abilities with your group leads to many tactical decisions while playing.

Overall this game is a lot of fun but it can get repetitive after all it is an action RPG (wow these kind of games aren't supposed to be repetitive?).

The online play is solid and characters are all stored server-side which is something I really love and kept me from buying borderlands is the fact that in borderlands your online/offline characters could easily be hacked and didn't offer any online longevity.

My friends and I have been enjoying this game, and I really think more people need to give it a chance: even with the mediocre reviews out I still gave in and bought it and was glad I did.

1. games(TM)
    Jul 3, 2011
    Just don't believe everything you read on the box. [Issue#110, p.130]
  2. CD-Action
    Jul 1, 2011
    If you treat yourself to the PvE campaign – especially in co-op mode – in small portions, it's a good recipe for a couple of relaxing game sessions. In the beginning at least, because over time watching the experience bar grow simply gets boring. [June 2011, p. 62]
  3. PC PowerPlay