7.5

1. Apr 5, 2013
    Changed my mind after a few days it's clear the game is buggy and has many problems, back to shogun 2 for now.

Chat MODS ignoring new players questions and bragging about their armys and advertising twitch tv channel made me question why i was playing this to.

Disconnects leading to rollbacks are common, and losing a dragon due to a disconnect is very frustrating.
  2. Apr 2, 2013
    Been waiting for this game for a while, so glad to see it hit steam. Dawn of Fantasy combines classic Stronghold style RTS with Facebooks dull version of "Kingdoms of Camelot".
    If you like the Stronghold series or the Total War games you can slide in to this game with ease. Starting your kingdom takes a bit of time but compared to most other MMO's the learning curve is minor and you can get rolling pretty quickly, anything you need to know about the game will be answered in game by the VERY helpful community via the help chat tab. bear in mind this game is new out and with surprisingly few bugs, patches and improvements are being made frequently and is rapidly flourishing in to an amazing game. For it's very low price I would 100% recommend this game.
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    While the graphics may be dated, the game itself still manages to make me come back and check on my castle. The gameplay is entertaining enough to make up for the bugs. There have been a lot of patches recently as well.
  4. Apr 4, 2013
    Now you've read your fair share of obvious positively biased opinions, would you like to read a more scaled down one? Well here goes.

If you liked the graphics of the old Age of empires and still yearn for those days, then this game will take you back. But if you yearn for similar game-play to your favorite RTS's, well... Not so much. Basic city building is there however your choice

Basic city building is there however your choice of placing the buildings is extremely limit to allocated spaces. The game can get very confusing and has a steep learning curve. Mostly because the missions aren't very well explained and the controls are clunky and confusing. On the plus side, the community for this game seems to be quite nice. If you have an issue, just ask someone on the in game chat for help and they'll usually answer you.

As I previously noted, the graphics look very dated and the animations along with it. It's not that it's an ugly game, or that graphics means so much to me, but if you're going to go "retro" at least keep the glitches out of sight and put more detail in so I can tell the men apart without having to click on them.

The building time of many buildings can be on average of over an Hour to build. Yes, a real life HOUR to build a building. Not happy with that? That's ok, you can speed it up with crowns, the games currency (besides gold). You can spend crowns on upgrades for your men and other various necessities. Other resources are on the map to be mined (gold, stone, wood, food), but also take literally ages to get your peasants to harvest enough of it.

How do you get these crowns? You get them by completing missions or going to war with other people. You can also trade gold for crowns at a ridiculous price or actually buy them with real money. (Cash cow? moo)

If you can look past that then never fear, your men are ready to follow you in to battle! All clumped up and lost. If you like mashing your mouse-buttons a lot, you'll love ordering your men about as they walk off on their own to get slaughtered and fumble about in unrecognisable blobs. Basically some simplistic combat strategy elements, nothing new or exciting.

RTS games can be slow. I know this, and I love turtling and building up my armies and city, but this game is so slow, it's like watching a turtle who's been glued to the floor.

Over-all the game isn't a bad game. It's just unpolished, looks old and feels slow. If you have the patience, then take the good critique from other people posts and the bad you've heard from me and I hope you'll be able to make up your mind.

If you're still interested, I'd wait for a large price drop. Even more than the current one. And don't be fooled by all the great scores. The community is very protective of this game and are very reluctant to tell you of its shortcomings.

Good luck.
  5. Apr 2, 2013
    Dawn of Fantasy is a well crafted, if slightly buggy, MMORTS. Combat is fun, if simplistic, but the real fun of the game is managing the economy in your castle and building new upgrades to make it larger and more complex.

Players can also go on quests on the world map to provide some variation in the gameplay. These quests do lack somewhat in variety, but they're still fun to participate in. You can attack other player's castles once you've built up a significant army. Winning these sieges is realistically difficult to do, as well.

The graphics, especially on the character models, are fairly dated, although the environments themselves look pretty.
  6. Apr 4, 2013
    Unpolished and very buggy. Having a hard time even playing, the UI not very friendly. There is a reason its on the Steam greenlight and on sale. The graohics are a bit dated but thats not make or break. Its the poor UI and AI that break this game.
  7. Apr 5, 2013
    The game concept is really cool and the idea of an MMORTS is intriguing... however the servers are unstable at best and, after playing for about four hours, the game crashes after approximately 10 minutes of online play. Further, the unit management is difficult to get a hang of (as someone who has a background of approximately a dozen RTS's) and the controls are relatively imprecise. AllThe game concept is really cool and the idea of an MMORTS is intriguing... however the servers are unstable at best and, after playing for about four hours, the game crashes after approximately 10 minutes of online play. Further, the unit management is difficult to get a hang of (as someone who has a background of approximately a dozen RTS's) and the controls are relatively imprecise. All in all, I'm really glad the game exists as a way to prove the concept is good, but I'm not positive Reverie is the right company to do it. Expand
  8. Apr 1, 2013
    Great game! the idea is amazing, it had some issues when it's first released but i haven't played it back then but now this game is great. If you like any kind of RTS you should totally try this game. It's a great mix of RTS style gaming Warcraft meets Total War meets Stronghold. If you enjoy RTS games then this one is definitely worth checking out now that it's been improved over theGreat game! the idea is amazing, it had some issues when it's first released but i haven't played it back then but now this game is great. If you like any kind of RTS you should totally try this game. It's a great mix of RTS style gaming Warcraft meets Total War meets Stronghold. If you enjoy RTS games then this one is definitely worth checking out now that it's been improved over the past 9 months or so. Expand
  9. Apr 2, 2013
    A bit rough around the edges, but the development team is active and providing a steady stream of updates. There are definately enough unique aspects in the game to make it recommendable for any RTS (or even RPG and/or economy sim) fan. Even if you don't enjoy the genre, I wish everyone would support the game for what it brings to the game industry in general.
  10. Apr 22, 2013
    game was a joke on release what the hell were they thinking releasing in that state
    massive improvements since then still plenty of bugs and issues but the major 1s gone
    well worth a look now
    no depth or longevity to the game but for the price on steam its worth a few wks play
  11. Apr 9, 2013
    Where to start?
    Great idea, well presented in text but nowhere near whats advertised as the actual product.
    No castle building! 1 click and it auto builds, yawn... MMO? really, i dont consider having people just in the chat window or having to search for battles via a matchmaking system as an MMO so yet another lie. Persistant world? yes for you but each person has their own persistant
    Where to start?
    No castle building! 1 click and it auto builds, yawn...
    Persistant world? yes for you but each person has their own persistant world and you dont actually share one.
    I havent even scratched the surface of the falsehoods in this game or started on the bugs which there are plenty.
    Apparently since the original release some 4 years ago the devs have released over 50 patches something which i would seriously call into question considering they still havent fixed the coding problem between resources & village population? Yes thats right, you want to add some wood via the market!! Oh no you cant as your village pop is maxed, thats right not your storage your pop.. i mean come on, 4 years an that glaring error is still there?
    Also the mods in game help with the obvious q&a's but when faced with a question about probs like that, they just ignore you, no advice on ask support or anything just ignored.
    Add to that a dev/mod by the name of konstantin stated in chat 'that he cant believe how stupid people are buying crowns when they dont know how to use them' Great stuff!!!
    I could carry on and actually write something worthwhile about this game but i cannot waste any more time on them.
    They orginally stickied the topic of 'new metacritic review' on the steam forums but that has now been taken down due to bad reviews..
    Keep hiding fellas an taking the cash...
  12. Apr 3, 2013
    I purchased this game on steam not knowing what it was going to be like and it was only the price what made me buy it and i have been hocked for 20+ hours straight lol, if you buy this game i promise you will not be disappointed
  13. Apr 5, 2013
    Niche titles like these always have their small but dedicated fan base, and I'm happy that the developer can claim one here. The problem is that when a title "clicks" with a certain personality the player can over-look all kinds of faults, no matter how many or significant. If you're seriously considering buying this title, don't consider if the game is simply good or bad but rather if youNiche titles like these always have their small but dedicated fan base, and I'm happy that the developer can claim one here. The problem is that when a title "clicks" with a certain personality the player can over-look all kinds of faults, no matter how many or significant. If you're seriously considering buying this title, don't consider if the game is simply good or bad but rather if you could count yourself among the limited yet like-minded fans. If you find that you can't answer that question of yourself with a moderate level of confidence... then skip this title. If Dawn of Fantasy proves one thing, it's that what's good for the goose is not whats good for the gander. Expand
  14. Apr 6, 2013
    We have just started playing the game to write a review about it, It's sad to say, But were not entirely sure if it it was caused by the latest update but we were not able to login after many attempts and needed to restart the game to login, Once logged in we created a City and we were not able to connect to the City after multiple attempts, We then restarted again and weren't able toWe have just started playing the game to write a review about it, It's sad to say, But were not entirely sure if it it was caused by the latest update but we were not able to login after many attempts and needed to restart the game to login, Once logged in we created a City and we were not able to connect to the City after multiple attempts, We then restarted again and weren't able to login again. Each restart has either 1 of the issues. Not being able to login or not being able to join the city. I hope this gets fixed before we submit our review. We will wait until the next update.
    - P.T Networx & ClockSpeedGamers
  15. Aug 20, 2013
    playing again after a break heard they updated a lot
    game got better no doubt bout that
    but now bully boys who pay rule, mods threaten and abuse power zanelong453 and others often threaten new players in whisper and in pvp crowns are lost to bug daily and troops too a mod actually told my friend he would be banned if he told in chat he had lot all his crowns he got them back fine
    playing again after a break heard they updated a lot
    game got better no doubt bout that
    but now bully boys who pay rule, mods threaten and abuse power
    zanelong453 and others often threaten new players in whisper and in pvp
    crowns are lost to bug daily and troops too
    he got them back fine but no thanks to the mod
    to be fair the game devs are completely different helpful and fast to sort problems
    other than the abusive mods who they seem to turn a blind eye too
    game would rate a 7 but the mods cost it 5 points
  16. Apr 7, 2013
    Incredible potential, but lacks terribly in fine-tuning. Occasionally, I truly enjoyed the game. Here are a few important things to point out:

1) There is NO WAY that all of these positive reviews are legitimate. The day of release, there were 20 total reviews and every one of them was a nine or ten, with an average of 9.3. Of the 21 positive reviews, 16 of the reviewers had only this game as their sole review. One of the 21 is a moderator for the game and the associated forums (Zvonzi). This is suspicious. It's just not that great a game. I would point out the incredibly poor grammar that is utilized in many of them (including oddly capitalized nouns or inaccurate use of synonyms), as this may be indicative of the suspicious behavior.

2) There is no depth to the game. You can fully upgrade your castle within 3 hours if you have the $30 to spend on the influence tokens. The quests themselves are unexciting and repetitive and the story couldn't possibly be more linear...if you can bring yourself to bother reading the story after the first 10 times of reading the same paragraph in a "new" dialogue.

3) Bugs...I know it is an indie title, but it is my understanding that the beta has been running for quite some time. My computer (a rather nice one) doesn't seem to like this game. I know this because there have been several hour-long battles that I won (or was near to winning) when the game stopped responding and I had to do it over, but with my army at the weakened state it had at the end of the battle. Then there are the log-in issues, wherein you cannot log into the game for about an hour at a time, though there is no official word about patching. And lost resources...I'm ashamed to admit that I paid for influence tokens with real money. But don't worry, I lost 80 of them, so justice (and the developer's cash cow) was served.

4) The PvP aspect of the game is atrocious. If you managed to get through one of the main quest stories, inevitably you will be attacked by someone on your way back to your castle or to a town while trying to heal your army. And then, you're slaughtered or you pay off the opposing army, as you're too weak to defend yourself. I have found that it is actually MORE difficult to defend against an army while in your castle than it is to do so on open terrain, which leads me to my last point of contention...

5) Controls: While attacking or defending, god [sic] forbid I try to mount a wall or tower. My army should just run around in clown suits and spread confetti for all the good they do. Sometimes, my archers don't even fire and just stand there while being trounced, but they'll never actually mount a tower. And, when your army is getting its butt kicked and you're trying to retreat, it is nearly inevitable that the rear-most unit will continually turn around to engage the same enemy that was just kicking its butt, due to terrible AI programming.

Alas, this game has incredible potential but is terrible. I will say, there is a peculiar sense of reward and ownership when you see your castle/city, derived from a crappy little hovel. Even that is tempered by the fact that it could be done within a week without purchasing any credits. I would love to see this in the hands of someone responsible for quality programming and not into this for the money alone.
  17. Apr 9, 2013
    slow slow slow ,its about adding crowns so you can do stuff ,if you where to mine or trade then this will take forever and ever and ever ,but there is another way ,yep you guessed it... pay for them there CROWNS
  18. Apr 13, 2013
    Don't even start. This game is complete trash that some university coder made up in his spare time. Trust me when I say that the game they show and the game that it is are two completely different things. Don't buy at all!!
  19. Apr 2, 2013
    The Game came along way from which it started awhile back.A lot of improvements has been made over the years..It is one of these gems that refuse to die out; but wants to continue and improve..The developers are still working and improving the game and i am really surprise they answer the community complaints..I gave it a 8 because the graphic are not bad just a little out dated..The gameThe Game came along way from which it started awhile back.A lot of improvements has been made over the years..It is one of these gems that refuse to die out; but wants to continue and improve..The developers are still working and improving the game and i am really surprise they answer the community complaints..I gave it a 8 because the graphic are not bad just a little out dated..The game it self is fun..Get to do pvp with the same "Level"players .No higher gankers which is a plus in my book..There is allies who can help you and friends who will join your cause..I can say its like shogun 2 except with live players...It is awesome..Bought this for $14..Good investment all the way around.. Expand
  20. Apr 6, 2013
    I understand it being beta but paying out £11 for this stage of a game is really disappointing. I expected more to keep the players interested. The PVP rating system is stupid. You spend time building your army to go complete your single player quests in which you meet another player who attacks you with 1 Lord who takes out your whole army.

So so depressing wasting all that time and

So so depressing wasting all that time and the money on a game like this. I wish I stuck with Stronghold Kingdoms and spent the money I did on this game their. As I've read in another review there seems to be too many positive reviews for this game. I appreciate other peoples views but please look more into the game before you purchase. I rather you save your money for another early access game and save some disappointment.

Good idea, but as usual games been rushed for public purchase which leaves it unplayable. Wasted too many hours on it just to be disappointed.
  21. Apr 10, 2013
    This game is by far the worst game I bought on steam. Mediocre gameplay, graphics completely buggy and outdated, and to make matters worse, the game does not have many customization options and construction looks like a game for browsers.

Anyway, do not know how the steam allows a garbage like this is placed for sale. I want my money back, that's a shame. Do not buy this game, it's

Do not buy this game, it's too bad, only people with mental health problems may find it good.
  22. Apr 2, 2013
    This game has all the best features of great rts games like Total War, Age of Empires, Starcraft and Battle for Middle Earth. I'm an avid starcraft and total war player and recently dof is the only game i've been playing.
  23. Apr 2, 2013
    When you look in to the past of this game (their first launch that was rushed by ex-publisher), and when you realize that this game is developed by few guys/girls that were working (i hope not anymore) practically for free, i can say only one word bravo!
    This game maybe doesn't have state of the art graphics, this game isn't perfect and it has many bugs, but amazing support directly from developers, it's gameplay and potential makes it more than 15$ worth. Also, game is being patched and updated every few days, which makes it better.
    There are some flaws and bugs like UI that could be better, lack of support for guilds (this should be implemented in near future), but if this game continues to grow, i'm not afraid for it's future.
    Recommended!
  24. Apr 4, 2013
    I picked up this game with no idea what it was going to be like. After an hour or so of learning the basics I am completely hooked.

100% recommend that you grab this game whilst it's cheep!

Props to the devs for making a stella game!
  25. Apr 3, 2013
    I decided to give this game a chance as I heard a few people that really liked it. I'm about 4 hours in now and having a good time.. it's a bit early for me to say it's great since I have only seen a small portion. Pros:
    - Variety. There are three races, each race has a choice of three starting terrain types that affect your troop choices as well as bonuses/penalties, and you get to pick two specialties that also affect your units and abilities. For example I am playing Orcs from the desert with pillaging and looting specialties. As such my units are strong attackers that build fast, gain resources from kills, and have a faster world map movement. However my ranged attacks and magic are weak, and my defenses are not good. Units. So far I see a good mix of unit types. There are a lot of upgrades available at your home city as well as by visiting other cities on the world map, where you can trade, train, and recruit mercenaries. World map. This is nice, it looks pretty big but I haven't really gone far from home yet. Anywhere in the wild you can stop and encounter AI enemies, depending on the area you are in. You can fight them for experience (your units also can level up) and loot.

Cons:
    - A lot of people mention the graphics.. I think they are not great but it doesn't bother me. I want to play this for the action. However be aware the graphics are only average and the animations can be weak.
    - Story. The narration ranges from good to horrible, with some over the top thees and thous for humans and 'durrr we smash guud' for the Orcs. This doesn't really bother me much either as again I'm here for PvP so these missions and storylines are just a path to get to where I want to be.
    - Interface. A mixed bag here too. It's not really bad, just not great. It has the standard RTS control types but is missing some common items.. for example you can set control groups but double pressing a control group number doesn't center on that group. When you log off all of your assigned groups are lost, which can be a pain. The units sometimes will respond to your commands and then just stop and do nothing also.. but thankfully not too often.

Overall I'll rate the game an 8 from what I've seen. If PvP turns out to be as good as the rest I can make this a 9 easy. Also I give some consideration to the developers being active; this game originally had a lot of problems and today it has come a long ways. There also was a day 2 patch to correct some things, so I have hope that this will just get better.
  26. Apr 2, 2013
    Sometimes games come out that breath a new life into a genre. Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars is just one of these games. They bring in multiple play styles and mash them up in a way that is fun, exciting and well thought out. This is a game you can lose hours of your time in without even knowing. The low cost and high replayability make for a feel good purchase.
  27. Apr 6, 2013
    I have followed this game since beta. The game has real medieval castle and field based rts action. PVP and PVE options with co-op pve. The persistent world aspect of the game adds a nice twist.

From release it has been constantly improved by the dev team. All around a great game.
  28. Apr 4, 2013
    It's a pretty unique design, but a solid game. I think any RTS fan should at least give it a chance and play it for a couple of weeks in order to get a real feel for how they like it and to see the developer support.
  29. Apr 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played for 48 hours. These are my initial thoughts. -----

Graphics Outdated to say the least. I'd say 2002 at it's best. Graphics for me do not make or break a game though as I can sit down and fire up older games such as AoE2, or AoM, and still have fun. Some of the camera movements are rather irritating after awhile. -----

Sound/Music Initially was alright, but after awhile I turned it down to almost nothing. Just enough so I could barely hear it. -----

General Gameplay Reminds me a bit of a mix between Stronghold, Total War, and Kingdoms of Camelot on Facebook. You can build a city yes, but the "plots" for buildings are already planned out so it's a matter of just picking where you want things to go. As far as gathering resources, it's the normal send the peasants to work, and delegate what you want them to gather. Which is fine for me. Unit controls for the army are decent, and it seems there is actually strategy to which units are used where. Not a game to pump one unit and mass raid, or so it doesn't seem that way. Sometimes troop movement is a bit flaky I've noticed when being sieged some of my units didn't respond right away, and I think that was a lag factor. I also noticed while initially being sieged the game responded with a lot of lag when troops were first moving, and smoothed out after about 5-10 seconds. At first the questing system seemed a bit confusing, but after taking a couple looks at the map and the quest log I could easily figure it out. This isn't rocket science. -----

PVP/Co-op As of now pvp is limited to 1vs1 sieging as I understand. I've asked, and read that there are later plans to implement 2vs2, 3vs3 possibly to allow players to siege together. Also Co-op from what i'm reading is limited to 2 players sieging 1 NPC town, so currently you can play with a friend. -----

Pay 2 Win? Not that I can see. You need crowns to do some research, and for upgrades for buildings which you can gain by doing quests, buying with gold in game, or simply buying out of game. From what I can tell if a player wanted to "Pay 2 Win", they would have to sink an awful lot of money into the game for crowns. Which I know there are people out there that would do this. There always is. Yet sieging, controlling troop movements, and knowing your troops does take skill. So that person who drops $200 to get ahead could also lose out a lot. -----

Overall This game has a lot of potential in the long run. Patches have been released recently to fix things, and I see that being a regular thing as of now. Although I don't see this as a completed game for the market. If anything I would consider it in late beta for what it's trying to achieve. If your looking for a long term RTS, and like elements of stronghold, total war, and kingdoms of camelot then this game might be for you. Just be prepared for some bugs right now.
  30. Apr 2, 2013
    This is a gem of a game if you like deep strategy RTS gaming. The graphics are old looking and can be crowded (esp with Elves) but the mechanics are fantastic, more than good enough to take your mind off the visuals.
    I would recommend to anyone who enjoys RTS or 4X games
  31. Apr 3, 2013
    I think this is a very good game considering it was developed by a small Indie company. The game has very good mechanics and inspirations. I personally really like the game and got hooked to it. The developers are really good too they listen to the customers and try to help when they can. Now there are some bugs of course which are probably gonna get fixed soon. My major issues with theI think this is a very good game considering it was developed by a small Indie company. The game has very good mechanics and inspirations. I personally really like the game and got hooked to it. The developers are really good too they listen to the customers and try to help when they can. Now there are some bugs of course which are probably gonna get fixed soon. My major issues with the game is the UI which is kinda crap but they said they will fix it and the path finding system which they also said would be fixed. I think it's totally worth to buy this game Expand
  32. Apr 2, 2013
    This is an AMAZING game and would have got a 10/10 had it not been for a few things that need to be worked out in the game. The bugs and irritations don't wreck the experience but can be annoying at times. When they get these worked out you'll get one really great game like no other out there in the market today!
  33. Apr 3, 2013
    I've been playing this game for a couple days now, so my words don't come with as much reinforcement as they could, however I feel I have experienced many of the ups and downs of this game. I guess I'll break it down into a few categories...

Visual/Graphics: The graphics are quite nice for the majority of the game. Watching your army march across a field or desert looks epic, and really makes the game. All the buildings and castles look awesome. However when doing quests and entering cut-scenes, it doesn't look so swell. But you learn to look past it and even admire it eventually.

Audio/Music: The music is good, no complaints. The sound effects are okay as well, nothing extraordinary. I do find that the sound effects get ridiculously loud at some points, often where I want to take off my headset because even after lowering the sound a ton the giant battles can be deafening.

UI/Interface: This is definitely the weakest point of the game. The UI looks like its from a medieval RTS released in the late 90s. Its easy to navigate, don't get me wrong, but really ugly to look at. I think they tried to hard to make the UI look medieval, but went too far. I hope they decide to redo it and look at other games like WoW, Age of Empires, Runescape etc. A UI can look medieval and clean at the same time!

Gameplay: Its definitely addictive. Building up your army and city is different from any other game and will leave you playing for hours. Sieging other castles is fun too plenty of strategy involved, like rushing your ladders towards the wall and battering ram towards the gate, while setting up your archers in the back and moving your warriors through in turtle position... but there are a few bugs. Sometimes not all your units move along when you right click so you often find yourself directing them twice. Directing your troops isn't the smoothest, but I can see it being improved.

Economy: I like how each race and area gives different advantages, so I can have a city of orcs who are perfect for raiding cities and collecting gold, or a city of humans who can farm tons of wood and food. It can get quite annoying when you start capping out your resources because you have nothing to spend it on.

There are a lot of features in this game that I could probably elaborate more on, but I'll try and keep it short.

TLDR; Definitely buy this on steam while its on sale. There are a few minor problems as I've said, but nothing that can't be fixed in the future or even outweighed by the games advantages!
  34. Apr 3, 2013
    I bought this game 3days ago on steam and the staff are actually in the game and answer questions they have the most Epic staff and make the game vary enjoyable. Another thing is the gameplay is vary interactive and amazing for a MMORTS
  35. Apr 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. Its a really nice Game, not the finest Graphics and not the deep of a Ocean but if you see how your Village rise up to a Town and your Palisade becomes to a huge Stone Wall you will defend your City and Castle.
    As my previous speaker wrote, this game combines various RTS games and will motivate me in online mode for a long time. Also, the support works great.
  36. Apr 4, 2013
    Fantastic game!! My only complaints are that it is still a bit buggy at times and lags greatly during some PVP and CO-OP Quest. Overall though it is a great idea and a good start, I just hope the devs stick with it and continue updates. The game actually has great graphics for being an indie, online, mmo.
  37. Apr 5, 2013
    That game is a nice review of how the good RTS game should look like. Sometimes it´s little buggy, but I play this game since Thursday, and they have already released two patches. Good job
  38. Apr 6, 2013
    The game has alot of potential but beware, don't expect a finished game experience. There are alot of small annoyances especially in unit control. But the main question for me: am i having fun? Yes! Even in this unfinished state i'm having alot of fun and the game feels refreshing, you just need some PATIENCE and know what to expect. Most of all the mods are doing a great job of helpingThe game has alot of potential but beware, don't expect a finished game experience. There are alot of small annoyances especially in unit control. But the main question for me: am i having fun? Yes! Even in this unfinished state i'm having alot of fun and the game feels refreshing, you just need some PATIENCE and know what to expect. Most of all the mods are doing a great job of helping you ingame so there is no need to panic when something is wrong. Be sure to try it out, the low game price makes it worth! Expand
  39. Feb 10, 2014
    WARNING:
    WARNING:
    The administration reserves the right to amend and add to these rules. We would also ask you not to challenge or test our tolerance levels. Moderators and administrators reserve the right to modify the official forums and/or chat rooms at any time at their discretion and without prior notice. We also reserve the right to immediately and without warning ban you from chat or the game.

this in their forums and game rules they ban people out of hand for even mentioning bugs in chat
    the developers and moderators use foul language when talking to young players
    the game is infested with bugs that just get ignored
    support is non existent
    in all even if you got this game on sale you were ripped off
  40. Apr 6, 2013
    This is a really fun game to play i have spent hours playing so far. not planning on stopping anytime soon
    i love the pvp part love battles. this game is just pure awsomme really good job to the devs
    good things. the way the town gets build the questing system the pvp/pve batlles the looting/raiding is just pure epic bad things it has some bugs but they will be fixed i hope

good things.
    the way the town gets build
    the questing system
    the pvp/pve batlles
    the looting/raiding is just pure epic

bad things
    it has some bugs but they will be fixed i hope
    the little delay betwen clicking and action
    the unit cap is only 90
    and dragons sucks not worth it

all in all really awsomme game worth the money and support the devs
  41. Apr 6, 2013
    the gameplay is entertaining and make your forget time, the graphics are not the best but graphics does not mean that much to me if the gameplay makes up for it, and this game sure does! its worth buying! and playing with your friends just makes the game so much better!
  42. Apr 6, 2013
    In the end, The game is very addicting, I have 4 cities, and massive armies, sure theirs many issues and bugs and sometimes horrible path finding, and pvp doesn’t always work, yes there has been major crashes but only because the game has grown so fast, there was none of these issues before, but the community and gameplay is just so rewarding I can't stop.So glad I’m done with this review,In the end, The game is very addicting, I have 4 cities, and massive armies, sure theirs many issues and bugs and sometimes horrible path finding, and pvp doesn’t always work, yes there has been major crashes but only because the game has grown so fast, there was none of these issues before, but the community and gameplay is just so rewarding I can't stop.So glad I’m done with this review, Already 70hrs in and all I want is more! The Review easily could have been pages and pages with everything the game has to offer. Expand
  43. Apr 7, 2013
    Very good game need to be polished a bit, and to add more pvp content but the concept the ideas are for sure something fresh in the rts world, and the mmorts side of the game is the one that deliver the most hype for the future 9/10
  44. Apr 9, 2013
    The community seems to be very inclusive, and Reverie is responding to nearly all player/user issues. Which is great news. The gameplay is incredibly addictive. I love the live challenge aspect online. The graphics are ho-hum but I don't care as long as the game play is fun. Surprisingly deep, I can only imagine this game becoming greater and more robust. Also, keep in mind that theThe community seems to be very inclusive, and Reverie is responding to nearly all player/user issues. Which is great news. The gameplay is incredibly addictive. I love the live challenge aspect online. The graphics are ho-hum but I don't care as long as the game play is fun. Surprisingly deep, I can only imagine this game becoming greater and more robust. Also, keep in mind that the price is under $20. Not $60. Expand
  45. Apr 9, 2013
    I've only scratched the surface yet but this game is simply amazing, very steep learning curve, do the tutorials! But once you learn the software it's very rewarding, there's something for everyone if you're a crafter you can spend hours doing only resource management and Kingdom building or if your into hardcore PVP this take it to huge scales, this could easily be a big name A+ titleI've only scratched the surface yet but this game is simply amazing, very steep learning curve, do the tutorials! But once you learn the software it's very rewarding, there's something for everyone if you're a crafter you can spend hours doing only resource management and Kingdom building or if your into hardcore PVP this take it to huge scales, this could easily be a big name A+ title with some rough edges cleaned up but that's the best thing of all it's 100% indie and the people involved are nice and helpful, the community has a real grassroots feel to it. highly recommended. Check out the bossman’s stream to see what end game looks like here: http://www.twitch.tv/hi1zone Expand
  46. Apr 16, 2013
    Great Game!
    The UI is friendly, if you don't know something just read the damn description.
    There is a Nice and QUICK tutorial that will show you the basics. Game is patched 3 times a week and its great atm, nearly excellent. The only problem with laggy players which match make and lag you as hell in the game (but its the users problem not so much the game's) The game has dated
    Great Game!
    The UI is friendly, if you don't know something just read the damn description.
    There is a Nice and QUICK tutorial that will show you the basics.
    The game has dated graphics BUT do not underestimate the game... you will just cause problem to your gaming experience. The devs and mods are the most active I've seen. Great customer support and the people who created the game seems to love it and work on it very hard. 9/10 just because the 10/10 goes to the PERFECT game.
  47. Apr 7, 2013
    Purchased the game off of steam and been playing all weekend. Really enjoyable game, would have gotten a 10 if I have not run into periods when the Server has not been available.
  48. Apr 9, 2013
    It's a great concept, and should have many great improvements in the future, but as it stands, it's a very buggy, not finished game. Many crashes occur, causing rollbacks of your progress. The graphics are very dated to be selling this game for $20, not to mention the very buggy AI path, and unfriendly interface.

The main thing that bugs me, is the fact that this game IS a pay to win.

The main thing that bugs me, is the fact that this game IS a pay to win. An in-game market allows people to spend their crowns (Earned from achivs. or PvP) but, you can also pay an additional $5-10 on your already $20 game. So, going against players who have bought crowns, and spammed the special units you can buy there, is next to impossible. Plus, to advance, and upgrade you city, you need to spend additional crowns. Overall, I'm not impressed.
  49. Apr 9, 2013
    This game has all the great features that other kingdom building games offer only more and better! Its awesome to sit back and see how your city is progressing as you upgrade and there is always something to keep you occupied. From managing your economy to pump out more units or upgrade your walls and buildings, roaming around the map to level up troops and gather loot, co-op and pvp.This game has all the great features that other kingdom building games offer only more and better! Its awesome to sit back and see how your city is progressing as you upgrade and there is always something to keep you occupied. From managing your economy to pump out more units or upgrade your walls and buildings, roaming around the map to level up troops and gather loot, co-op and pvp.

I've put at least 20+ hours into the game now and haven't had any problems with bugs myself. People seem very helpful in chat for people who do.
  50. May 18, 2013
    Very awesome game, if you dont mind bugs, like fantasy and RTS then this is the game for you, Mods and very friendly community helping you! also they are still doing updates and will do with many more features planned. also has bits of mmo in it and the nature and world is freackin awesome to see and nice music to!
  51. Jun 22, 2013
    This game is buggy as all hell, poorly optimized, and the graphics feel as though they're only 80% implemented... and this is STILL a really fun, addictive game.

It's basically Age of Empires 2 meets the Total War series (although don't expect the same amount of graphical polish as, say, Shogun 2, obviously). If you're a perfectionist who needs every game to be perfect... well, you must be an unhappy person in general, and you probably won't enjoy this game. But if you can see the game for what it can be, and what it will be (the devs are extremely active), then you're going to love this game.
  52. Jan 26, 2014
    The Devs are passionate, have all kinds of interaction with the players, hold give aways, and are *constantly* improving the game. It's a small dev team putting together an amazing project with an amazing concept and I've watched it grow and flourish. If you want fantasy based RTS gaming with a fun and wonderful community... DoF: KW is your game. It's rough around the edges, make noThe Devs are passionate, have all kinds of interaction with the players, hold give aways, and are *constantly* improving the game. It's a small dev team putting together an amazing project with an amazing concept and I've watched it grow and flourish. If you want fantasy based RTS gaming with a fun and wonderful community... DoF: KW is your game. It's rough around the edges, make no mistake... but you get caught up in the enthusiasm of the developers and their constant efforts to improve, refine, and polish the product.

10 Stars, would recommend. =)
  53. Dec 8, 2014
    well, what is DoFKingdom Wars? Well, it is the dream of any RTS player, it's what I've been waiting for a long time, this is the first title since AoM that I really wanted to play for more than a month.
    It combines a strategic city building system, which is unique p/ race, a army slot system which allows you to move troops around a "World Map" full of NPC cities to conquer which you can do alone or in co-op, there is also a PvP system which allows you to attack other player's armies or even their city using a fair match system based on army strenght.
    The community this days are quite helpful, even when there is no mods online you can still get helped by other players.

But, noting is perfect, there is a large amount of bugs, and even with a ton of content it's still "not enough" as new content is not frequently added and there is just no cool events around and the AllianceClan system has no depth whatsoever, no alliance wars or diplomacy only a chat tab and the ability to send "crowns" to members.

Even then, its a fun game to play, with some pretty good graphics and sound, and it's free and with the new patchs the game become a lot faster for new players! and no P2W as the micro-transactions are mostly graphical changes.
  54. Apr 3, 2013

There are no critic reviews yet.