Dawn of Fantasy PC

7.0

1. Apr 6, 2013
    I have only been playing the game for three days, but don't discount my review based on that. I believe I bring up some very good points, and I don't try to address sections of the game that I don't know or understand.

Story: N/A The story to this game isn't horrible, but it also isn't entertaining enough to keep me paying attention to it. I can't accurately write a review based on the

Story: N/A
    The story to this game isn't horrible, but it also isn't entertaining enough to keep me paying attention to it. I can't accurately write a review based on the story because I stopped paying attention to what Fred Firkinson said after the third quest. I understand that these quests are important in teaching the player how the game works, and I am willing to sacrifice a good story for good gameplay.

Gameplay: 8/10
    The game has so much potential. I feel like I'm back playing Age of Empires, but it's even better because now we have online functionality and I can play with my friends and PvP too! The game has a lot of cool things in it like corpse looting, elves, orcs, and even more races in the future. The downside is right now the gameplay is also kind of buggy. There are times when my units are very unresponsive to my commands. I have a group of peasants that believe they can do whatever they want to do, and to top it all off I usually have to click three to four times to get my units to go where I am actually directing them.

Graphics/Presentation: 5/10
    Alright, so I have to be straight up in this portion. I think the coolest thing about the graphics and presentation are how each race and each region has it's own landscape. However, the GUI looks like it was made in 2000. The graphics aren't horrible for an RTS, but they also aren't the best I have ever seen. I haven't had any performance issues so far however, which is a plus. I can live with the graphics in their current state, and I don't really weigh them into how good the game actually is.

Sound: 3/10
    I really like the voice overs for the Human race. I feel like the orcs and elves could use some improvement, but so far the humans are dead on. The voice overs (in the humans) bring me back to Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, which were some of the funniest and also best voice overs I have heard in an RTS to date. If you could reproduce the amount of effort and quality put into the human voice overs, you would be set for life. I feel like the music is repetitive, but that is pretty standard in most video games. I think that this section of the game could use the most improvement though. Currently the combat sounds are some of the worst I have heard, and not only that, but they are loud enough to destroy your ears if you don't turn the volume all the way down.

I have weighted the scores to what I feel each section deserves.
    Story: 10%
    Gameplay: 50%
    Graphics/Presentation: 20%
    Sound: 20%

Since I didn't give the story section a rating, I will distribute that section to the remaining three. Each section gains an additional 3.33% weight.

Overall: 6.12/10
  2. Nov 2, 2011
    This game has a great idea but a long way to go before it's a classic. It combines a bit of city building with online match making for combat and soon will add the ability to siege other towns with your own armies and vice versa. Right now it's got a few major bugs and lots of minor bugs. The support the devs/community provide is the best I've ever seen and so I haven't written it off yet.This game has a great idea but a long way to go before it's a classic. It combines a bit of city building with online match making for combat and soon will add the ability to siege other towns with your own armies and vice versa. Right now it's got a few major bugs and lots of minor bugs. The support the devs/community provide is the best I've ever seen and so I haven't written it off yet. Recently the devs asked the community which bugs they wanted fixed and then tackled the top bugs off that list. Its support like this that makes me think that in the long run the rough gem will be highly polished into a jewel. Another creative feature is the ability to pay for eye candy (flyable dragon/uber dwarf) units with "crowns" (a resource gathered by questing/pvp). Going forward released DLC packs will be purchasable with ingame currency generated by battling and the devs have been careful to avoid turn the game into the "cash shop/cow" model prevalent among online games currently. A game like this reminds me of sword in the stars or mount in blade, a great idea that needs more time to develop. Expand
  3. Jun 25, 2013
    Dawn of Fantasy is one of the greatest mmorts games I have played in a long time. The game balances between earning in game currency (crowns) and buying them, making it a fair game and not pay to win. The game currently has a lot of bugs and glitches, but it has a great potential. The game consist of three races: the Elves, Humans and Orcs. They all have their strengths and weaknessesDawn of Fantasy is one of the greatest mmorts games I have played in a long time. The game balances between earning in game currency (crowns) and buying them, making it a fair game and not pay to win. The game currently has a lot of bugs and glitches, but it has a great potential. The game consist of three races: the Elves, Humans and Orcs. They all have their strengths and weaknesses making the game-play balanced. The battles are interactive and reminds of the Stronghold series, which is a good thing. The game should be sold as a beta game because of all the bugs. I give this a 7 because of bugs and inconvenience in game. I believe that this game will reach far. Expand
  4. Apr 2, 2013
    In Depth Review
    In Depth Review
    Graphics People who play games like this that are strategy based are USED to poor graphics. Usually when you're dealing with 300 models on the screen you rarely have the settings on high. It just lags the game, even in this game I still have to put all the settings on low, so even if it looked good I wouldn't be able to run it at that high during large sieges. Same graphics as Spellforce 2.

Gameplay I'm going to break this into two parts. City development, and Warfare.

City Development This part of the game is its' weakest point. You don't get to customze where things go unless you're an Orc, you don't get to choose where you settle so if you settle in an area without awesome mountains to hide behind then you can't move or find a new spot. Buildings are static for elf/human and the intuitiveness of how they did the buildings (click building, circle thing pops up and select your options) is very unfriendly, especially when you're often clicking on things by accident. Along with this, there's really nothing here but resource gathering you don't plan strategies here, you don't set up schemes... It's all just a resource hub and recruitment hub. Sieges will be there eventually so you will plan for that in the meta game but most of your gameplay will be out in the world map.

Warfare It's pretty damn fun to strategize where to move x units, etc... In fact in concept they did this very well. Each unit has a weakness, you can level your units up and so you end up getting very attached to them and sad when they die. Unfortunately the lag currently that plagues pvp hinders the enjoyment some, but you get used to it. By far this alone is worth buying the game for, as you will find many hours of enjoyment if you really have patience to give it a shot.

Design These guys are obviously new at designing video games, and they've got a long way to go to learn basic gameplay design concepts. The quest system, the UI, the font choices used... all of it says indi developer. Which is fine, I prefer supporting indi developers myself, as they usually have the game concepts I want to play.

The warfare alone is worth buying the game for, but you'll find that the rest of the game is constantly trying to turn you off from playing. Every time you load a new area it has to do this pan-arama view thing that annoys the crap out of me. What's worst is there's no way to auto accept the quests, they literally make you walk your hero unit to each guy and select them. This means you spend several hours just running your guy back and forth between spots, and on top of that when the quest is inside an NPC city you can't accept all the quests at once. You have to accept one, log out (loading screen) and then load back the city (loading screen again). They could make this a 7/10 or even an 8/10 if they just added an option to not have to enter cities to accept/complete quests. The writing is so generically cheesy no one cares about the story anyway.

Do I recommend a buy or pass? I would say buy. Given it's current state its' full of bugs and problems and you will probably be turned off at first by it, but have patience. These guys used to work full time jobs and work on this game part time, but they've recently stated that now they can quit their jobs and work on this full time because of steam and how popular it's become. They've already rolled out a hotfix since it came to steam, so give them a few months to hammer out the bugs but buy now while it's on sale.

The community seems extremely helpful and the amount of people who have joined the game is staggering. I expect this game to explode in the coming months. I just hope they add more monsters to the shop because I want hydras and :)

For those of you that are concerned this is a "pay to win" game. Yes and No. Yes you could potentially spend hundreds of dollars building an army entirely out of the shop. No because none of those units will live forever. Units bought from the shop die permanently, and acquiring crowns is so easy. For example, one PVP siege netted me 20 crowns. The top item in the shop is 120 crowns. So I'd have to win six sieges to get a dragon, and you really only need one. So it's very easy to get crowns in game. Quests give them, pvp gives them. I personally bought crowns because I wanted to get a head start on getting the resource development going in my city. Made sense to me, I'd rather have my cities producing enough resources for me to play with. I didn't have to do this, I could have spent a few hours just gathering resources via battle but I was lazy.

If you have any problems in game the devs have been extremely helpful and they are constantly in the help chat helping people. Very active devs.

Yes my scores in some areas are very low and you're probably wondering why I am recommending it. Honestly, I don't know entirely what has me hooked on this game. I've spent over 10 hours playing it since I bought it yesterday
  5. Jul 15, 2013
    Bought on steam sales a very good surprise. It has the feeling of a stronghold crusaders with some MMO elements. Although there are some PVE, the game is best played with a PVP approach. Build your city & army, experience your troops against AI, and then defend yourself or attack other players. There are quests to make you learn the game better, and the dialogues are quite funny. TheBought on steam sales a very good surprise. It has the feeling of a stronghold crusaders with some MMO elements. Although there are some PVE, the game is best played with a PVP approach. Build your city & army, experience your troops against AI, and then defend yourself or attack other players. There are quests to make you learn the game better, and the dialogues are quite funny. The presence of a cash shop does not make it a Pay to Win because crowns can be acquired through normal gameplay. You can pay just to make it faster (which is pretty stupid). Otherwise, make yourself comfortable, watch your city grows, speak with other people on the tchat it's really a relaxing game. You can't get attacked by other players if you don't have walls, so don't build them until you feel prepared. The community is really awesome, devs are often connected to speak with us. I can play it all day. the game isn't perfect however, since pathfinding and AI are quite bad but they promised a patch soon. So if you like the MMO and RTS genres, you will like Dawn of Fantasy. Collapse

1. Aug 24, 2012
    There is a lot of potential here and Dawn of Fantasy has already improved by leaps and bounds since it was released almost a year ago. Sure, there are still some issues and glitches, but it is moving in the right direction. If you're looking for a pure RTS experience, there are better RTS titles out there. And if you're looking for the MMO side of the equation, naturally there are better MMO titles out there. But if you're looking for a solid MMORTS title, Dawn of Fantasy is one of your best options out there. It is very nice to see people taking the MMORTS out of the browser.
  2. Nov 22, 2011
    It was a good idea in 2003 and would've been a visual stunner back then, today, it's a poor attempt at delivering on a good concept. Too many bugs and crashes even months after release. The idea of building your own empire has a certain appeal, though.
  3. Nov 18, 2011
    A game with good intentions and some interesting ideas, but its depth and variety of options are shadowed by its slow gameplay, few intuitive controls and flawed grpahics. However, hardcore strategy fans might find an interesting product here thanks to its many possibilities.