Day of Defeat PC

9.3

1. NeilA.
    Oct 7, 2006
    I've always loved first person shooting games, including the Halo games. It's fun to play with players oline. The game is a truely WWII experience and lets you see the exact weapons used in the WW.
  2. GrantB.
    Feb 7, 2008
    The best class based WWII shooter out there(besides Bf 1942,of course) Balances tactics, team play and all out shooting.
  3. SlaineRogueTrooper
    May 13, 2006
    Ive been playing all sorts of online games for 8 years now and DoD is Gr8.
  4. LucasH.
    May 10, 2006
    Real god game,even if the graphics arent the newest.IT has a much better gamefeeling than newest WWII games.
  5. RobM.
    May 8, 2006
    Love it, best half life mod there is.
  6. HappinessIsAWarmGun
    Jun 3, 2006
    This game has no bells and whistles. It is all straight forward first-person shooter online action. Just player model and weapon - single shot rifles, semi-auto machine guns, sniper, machine gun, bazooka, and knife (or bayonet and trench shovel).
    What makes this game excellent? The player control of the models and guns is tight - extremely tight. It feels seamless between ones choice of movement and the actual gameplay. In this sense one feels in complete control, and thus the behaviour of your players feels like a true extention of oneself.
    The game lends itself well to teamplay with excellent voice over microphone. The sound in the game is very good, and listening is a critical part of playing well.
    The Day of Defeat community is extensive and skilled and has produced an enormous amount of modified material. There are tons and tons of player created custom maps which are equal in quality to the core of 20 stock maps which come with the game.
    Half-Life is the greatest shooter game ever. So is it any doubt that this ww2-based modification of Half-Life is the greatest WW2 shooter? It has been around for five years now, so the skill level of the player base is fairly high. However, DOD players are usually well-helpful to new players.
    If you like running and gunning in a WW2 environment, you gotta give this game a try. You can also play it off-line by installing free bots (Sturmbots) to learn with. Still over 1500 active servers worldwide.
  7. CassianoF.
    Oct 4, 2007
    Very very light and good WWII game!!!
  8. db
    Mar 5, 2009
    some of the smoothest gameplay, and most intense action. team play is a must, and often makes or breaks a round. weapons are realistic, anf fairly accurate, for being a WWII based first person shooter. most maps are made to resemble actual battlefields in Europe. great game, gotta keep it going!
  9. ThomasL.
    Sep 12, 2006
    The game is awsome, the best multiplayer game I've played to date.
  10. MichalK.
    May 7, 2006
    game is great I spent my whole free time playing it.
  11. KeithK.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Not only is the gameplay intense and challenging, but the necessity of teamwork continues to maintain my interest years after its release...yes, some say that its features are dull or uninspired in that you are just playing a type of capture the flag or objective based game, but due to the class system, players must work as a team to hold the line and push forward and hold territory. Not only is the gameplay intense and challenging, but the necessity of teamwork continues to maintain my interest years after its release...yes, some say that its features are dull or uninspired in that you are just playing a type of capture the flag or objective based game, but due to the class system, players must work as a team to hold the line and push forward and hold territory. Truely a masterpiece. Expand
  12. NickR.
    May 11, 2006
    DOD ROCKS DOD IS BETTER THAN CRAPPY CS ANY DAY at least there is gun recoil and haveing to be in a position(prone.. crouched satnding still) to get an acurate shot not just spray&pray and head shot 24/7 the maps are fine tho it wouldnt be a bad thing to get some more maps out... i suggest if you own DoD to go and download DoD_kittyhax its an awsome map made by a fellow doder GL HF -{S-S}-
  13. EdH.
    Jun 3, 2006
    The best I've ever played - and it keeps me coming back for more.
  14. FrederikMeringen
    Jun 1, 2009
  15. HenrikA.
    Dec 22, 2007
    Great game, high speed match play with aim aswell as tactics! And non of the long boring respwantimes that quite a few games use these days!
  16. Alexpp
    May 28, 2006
    Best game aver! Not boring after some time like CS or HL. maps are large.
  17. MarcD.
    May 5, 2006
    Realistic World War 2 fps that give credit to all who took part in it. Truly a classic game.
  18. KennethB.
    May 6, 2006
    It is fun so in hell, I love it!!!!
  19. Brian
    May 6, 2006
    DOD is a very solid game for multi-player shootem wwii games. sure better lookin stuff is out there but this is freeware. . . cant complain. great selection of boards( most of 'em quite intricate) solid selection of soldier classes. great challenge for all skill levels
  20. MaximilianH.
    May 8, 2006
    This game is the be all end all of waypoint capture games.
  21. DiegueO.
    Jul 5, 2006
    I think it's more tactical than CS, CSS and DOD:S. DoD 1.3 is... brilliant!
  22. MikeC.
    Aug 5, 2006
    This game is the coolest game out there. charile, B.A.R, all fun.
  23. ChrisH.
    Sep 13, 2006
    Been a fan of this game for years... and now I am simply trying to get back to the battlefields and the dirt to have some fun.
  24. RickT.
    Sep 3, 2006
    I love this dam game, I've never played a ww2 game before and I would never would have thought it would be good. This game changed all that, I love this game I play it so much i'm hooked on it.
  25. AnonymousMC
    Oct 6, 2007
    It never gets old. I know I'll get bashed by the CS loyalists, but it really is the best mod out there if you put teamwork and strategy as a major criteria. You outsmart the opposition aside from using your shooting skills and reflexes and yes the concept of teamwork isn't a myth anymore for fps games. As a thinking man's game, it's the Starcraft version of chess.
  26. RichardG.
    May 5, 2007
    Still a far better game than the source version.
  27. MarcoS.
    May 9, 2008
    top game ever. skill, teamplay, timing, haxshoots, beautiful and calibrated maps.
  28. MatthieuC.
    Jun 10, 2008
    A very good game indeed, with attractive gameplay and an incredible feeling !!!
  29. RafC
    May 6, 2009
    This an excellent game! Deffinetally one of the few old ones that is still a must. I play both DoD games (this one and source) and i have to say that this is even more fun than the new one.
  30. NavidN.
    Aug 5, 2003
    What i would like to say is that, i've been playing this game since it came in in January 2001, ahhh the good times, 1.0 is great, but does not beat CS in no ways, the maps are a lil repetitive. but overall its a nice MOD or game to play for the Half-Life engine :))
  31. CharlesH.
    Oct 20, 2006
    I've been playing DoD since its early beta,and its just gets better and I've always thought it was way better than any you bought.
  32. DakotaK.
    Oct 7, 2006
    This is the best online pc game ever!
  33. LiamD.
    Apr 11, 2006
    This is the best game ever. it is so intense that you cant do anything after 10 min of play coz ur so hyped about it. works fine on 56k. This is 10 times as good as cs. ps i like cs alot.
  34. JosephS.
    May 13, 2006
    Best physics on any game ive played so far, includeing bf2 and anything that has come out since 2006.
  35. XinShi
    May 6, 2006
    DOD is one of the best online FPS, its just the graphic are outdated. Although Source version have made an improvement in graphics. However some of the good gameplay component were removed such as being able to use gun bash and not as smooth as before. I wish these component can be added back for us DOD fans.
  36. VasyaP.
    May 7, 2006
    I think this game the best online WW2 action.
  37. TimG.
    Jun 11, 2006
    I have enjoyed the teamwork that I have when playing this game.Its like having a best friend if you were at war.Very addictive and very good on line game!
  38. ZerminS.
    Jun 2, 2006
    Best World War Game... I have never experienced anything like it before.
  39. CioOrAn
    Jun 3, 2006
    One of the best online game about WWII.
  40. Durka
    Jul 16, 2006
    Intense and FUN.
  41. StephenC.
    Jul 7, 2006
    Funnest online game I have ever played. Although I prefered the older DoD 3.0 versions as a mod before it became commerical. Less complicated funner maps with more constant action. Still It is the best combo of quick action or cold calculated killing I have seen in a game.
  42. SamoC.
    Sep 19, 2006
    Awesome better than c-s MUST PLAY!
  43. StephenH.
    Sep 27, 2006
    This is one of the best FPS online games I've played. Props to Valve for this one.
  44. ConnorL.
    Oct 9, 2007
    Very Good, Graphics 8.5 Gameplay 10. Two Thumbs Up For This Game.
  45. DustinO.
    Feb 15, 2007
    One of the best games to be played on the computer!
  46. FrederikMeringen
    Mar 16, 2007
  47. ARandomName
    Apr 11, 2007
    This game is one of the best online WWII games, even four years after its release. DOD, for those who don't know, sports people who partake in role-playing, to create online clans named after Infantary Divisions during WWII. It's great fun, basically being a community of friends for playing an awesome game.
  48. IcaroF.
    Apr 27, 2007
    The best online half-life mod ever! Balanced game, for fighters and campers! You need real strategy and teamwork to win the rounds!
  49. DanielR.
    May 17, 2007
    This is one of the best games of wwII, its the best multiplayer game on earth! and the most played i guess.. The weapons and the sounds...the stamina all..its very real! i will never stop playing DOD. :D
  50. DennisB.
    May 30, 2007
    Because its a very good multiplayer game and make a lot of fun and better than the source version . DoD one of my favorite games!
  51. Novi4ekNone
    Jun 7, 2007
    good game
  52. Aaron
    Sep 1, 2007
    Best game I've played in a long time. Works well with Dial-up still and even works on older games. It never gets old, and I still can't find anyone that dislikes it.
  53. RuneP.
    Mar 31, 2008
    A superb game - even though it's old it is still my favorite game!
  54. AndreasK.
    Apr 9, 2008
    This is one of the best fps multiplayer game I've played, played since its release and still do.
  55. e2
    Jun 5, 2008
    This is the best designed WW2 game there is. I don't see how anyone could give this less than a 90. It has the most solid gameplay design even though its 8 years old.
  56. KevinT.
    Jul 20, 2008
    One of the best game of half life history. You can play either as American, British or the German, depending on a map and side you choose, Once you choose a side, theres lot of class you can choose. the grpahic are pretty good and looks great and it runs amazing than DODS. I highly recommend this game over DODS.
  57. LucasFowler
    Aug 8, 2008
    This game is my most favorite games of all time...i have played it for hours and hours and hours and hours....its rediculous...this is a huge memory in my life was playing with all my cousins everyday...if you dont play this game even today then you are a fool bc it hangs easily with the best...not cod 4 or any game have i seen come close to it...
  58. StaBoomMcnugget
    Jan 6, 2009
    Loooove this game! its been around forever and has so much replay value that years later its the oldest pc game i regularly play. priceless! the fact that there's a sequel and DoD is still busy speaks for itself. theres somthing satisfying about picking the grenade thats beeen thrown at you up and lobbing it back...stabbing campers and capping that final flag that makes this one ofLoooove this game! its been around forever and has so much replay value that years later its the oldest pc game i regularly play. priceless! the fact that there's a sequel and DoD is still busy speaks for itself. theres somthing satisfying about picking the grenade thats beeen thrown at you up and lobbing it back...stabbing campers and capping that final flag that makes this one of the most fun games around... Collapse
  59. JohnDoe
    May 12, 2009
    Nice Game nice Maps
  60. ||CSP||Machinegunner
    May 14, 2009
    I just want to give thanks to the Creators of Day of Defeat For their time for the Opportunity of letting us play this game that to me it never gets Borring,I've been Playing for about 5 yrs already and even tough Theirs is different maps to go to Avalanche is my favorite.Thanks again and I invite you to come and play with us ||CSP|| where we try to keep it fun for I just want to give thanks to the Creators of Day of Defeat For their time for the Opportunity of letting us play this game that to me it never gets Borring,I've been Playing for about 5 yrs already and even tough Theirs is different maps to go to Avalanche is my favorite.Thanks again and I invite you to come and play with us ||CSP|| where we try to keep it fun for everyone.Let's all get togethter and ;ets bring our talent to support this game and represent the creators all the way...Good Luck guys and enjoy Expand
  61. PhilipSzostak
    Sep 2, 2009
    Hey, this isn't your typical beautifully programmed shooter like crysis and Halo 3, but people just need to open their eyes and realize that it's not all that matters in a game. DoD get's awful ratings from professional gaming websites and newsletters because they are 90% based on graphics and how realistic it is. I won't say why, how, or what, but I will say that I Hey, this isn't your typical beautifully programmed shooter like crysis and Halo 3, but people just need to open their eyes and realize that it's not all that matters in a game. DoD get's awful ratings from professional gaming websites and newsletters because they are 90% based on graphics and how realistic it is. I won't say why, how, or what, but I will say that I very much enjoy this game. The Steam community will make all of Valve's games fun. They are a pair like white and rice Expand
  62. BaggioBill
    Dec 5, 2004
    Got into this game via a friend a year ago, now involved in online gaming and also a clan member, would never have happened without this game, fantastic 10/10.
  63. MichaelV.
  66. FrederikMeringen
    Dec 9, 2006
  67. JustinD.
    Mar 24, 2006
    Amazing WW2 mod using the classic Half-Life engine.
    Mar 24, 2006
    One of the best game had ever seen.
  69. JeffW.
    Apr 22, 2006
    Excellent game! Teamwork, strategey and brute force all come together to make a highly enjoyable and some time hillarious game. I'm totally hooked.
  70. JimH.
    Apr 26, 2006
    You can't get any better than DoD Source. The action is intense. Being able to interact with other players is the best. The only Con is that I would LOVE to see more maps from the makers of this game. Besides that, this game ranks a 10+.
  71. AxznI.
    May 11, 2006
    Cs is still better than DoD but it's pretty fun to play when your favorite servers are down.
  72. BrandtK.
    May 11, 2006
    The bullet theory is much better than CS, and the weapons are more fair. Overall, its just more fun to play....each class takes on a different role in acheiving he objective, so the team actually works as a unit (most of the time anyway).
  73. AlexR.
    May 12, 2006
    I've never played ANY 1st person shooter better than this. I don't care if Halo or CS get better votes. You can not beat this game. No other game has ever delivered an experiance like this to me, and I'm having a hard time believing anything ever will. This game has stood for so long for a reason. It's the best. The only problem is finding a server that really makes I've never played ANY 1st person shooter better than this. I don't care if Halo or CS get better votes. You can not beat this game. No other game has ever delivered an experiance like this to me, and I'm having a hard time believing anything ever will. This game has stood for so long for a reason. It's the best. The only problem is finding a server that really makes this kind of impact on you. Expand
  74. VinnieG.
    May 13, 2006
    Best game for the price ever.
  75. FrederikMeringen
    May 15, 2006
  76. IsraelR.
    May 15, 2006
    I've been playing this game since it came out a couple of years back and I personally prefer it over counter-strike and other similar games...Just simply one of the greatest online multiplayer games out there today!
  77. TwitchM.
    May 19, 2006
    Best online WWII game ever made. But some people herre have to take some informations before saying some stupid thinks. It's boring to see people taking about subject they don't know about ! Day of Defeat has been developped and release before any CoD, BF, MoA, ... It is the first online game about WWII games or MODs.
  78. WilliamC.
    May 25, 2006
    I've played this game more than almost any other game of my life. On and off for 7 years and still goin'.
  79. Classified
    May 26, 2006
    This is the best online WWII game out today. I like its multiplayer more than Call of Duty 2's. If it's graphics you care about then get the sequel, Day of Defeat: Source. You could also get Day of Defeat: Condition Zero for Single player and slightly improved graphics and multiplayer.
  80. RicardoA.
    May 6, 2006
    This is just a game to have hours of fun... and you can even learn some history about the WWII. The game is very realistic and the graphics are just fine, but i like DoD graphics more than DoD:S ... since it looks like a false world... Thats all ... if u have this game, have fun with it .. if u dont.. BUY IT! =) Cya
  81. JoonasH.
    Jun 1, 2006
    I've been playing this awesome game since 1.2b release. It's just so addictive and fun to play. There is that "something" that keeps me playing, maybe it is the war feeling.
  82. KevinA.
    Jun 19, 2006
    add vehicles, ironsights, and a ranking system, aswell as a player tracking system and its all good, im one of the more seasoned dod players, its a exellent title, just needs a few adjustments, to be the perfect WWII shooter for me
  83. ArnastsE.
    Jun 19, 2006
    This is the best game of your games list. So i will give 10.
  84. CollinR.
    Jun 2, 2006
    Incredible game for the WWII era. Get this game and you'll be happy for a while!
  85. *SnowFlake*
    Jun 27, 2006
    Really cool game. It can play it over and over again, 'cause it's so funny to play!
  86. JoelS.
    Jul 13, 2006
    Well balanced online play. Although it based on the older HL1 engine, the gameplay just keeps it around. Plus, there is still a huge user community that continues to add enhancements like admin tools and bots.
  87. JoeM.
    Aug 26, 2006
    One of the top games I have ever played!
  88. NickG.
    Aug 9, 2006
    Amazing game that draws you in and keeps you playing.
  89. FrederikMeringen
    Sep 14, 2006
  90. AndreiG.
    Sep 8, 2006
    Been playing for 2 years now and I still love it. One of the best games out there, even though its graphics and gameplay are dated.
  91. DeCaffe
    Mar 21, 2007
    What can I say. One of my favorite games of all time. I've been playing it for about 5 years now, and it never gets old. The competitiveness between players is like no other game out there.
  92. MIkeN.
    Apr 8, 2007
    Best multyplayer game ever! Better than cs. With lower than 10 seconds till respawn action never stops or slows down. Awesome realistic sounds and weapons.
  93. DominikE.
    May 17, 2007
    It's the best game, I've ever played!
  94. JadeP.
    May 31, 2007
    Tis one of the best well balanced games ever made.
  95. JohnA.
    Jun 28, 2007
    This game gave many hours of Entertaiment, graphics, sounds, and I just cant say how much i like it.
  96. KevinF.
    Jul 3, 2007
    Wonderful game. Nice graphics, amazing gameplay, good sound, many maps.
  97. TiagoA.
    Aug 31, 2007
    To answer to G3 TV review, indeed the game play is limited and also the maps are repetitive in theme, not design. As an experienced DoD amateur gamer, if a map is changed just in a small building, or even a window, the team strategy involved to obtain victory is totally different. another example is if a map designer simply puts a pile of shattered walls in an open field, the strategy is To answer to G3 TV review, indeed the game play is limited and also the maps are repetitive in theme, not design. As an experienced DoD amateur gamer, if a map is changed just in a small building, or even a window, the team strategy involved to obtain victory is totally different. another example is if a map designer simply puts a pile of shattered walls in an open field, the strategy is also hugely changed. You see, just by varying some features in a certain map, gives a fully renewed game experience. This way, you can have an infinity of mods from a single map, changing the game strategy in each mod. Regards. Expand
  98. RohanC.
    Aug 9, 2007
    This is Day of Defeat at it's best it's just sad that most people hace moved onto DOD:S which In my opinion Is Incredibly well balanced but they dropped the british and most maps and Avalanche is now devilishly hard to navigate.
  99. FrederikMeringen
    Sep 23, 2007
  100. StevenB.
    Jan 23, 2008
    Excellent game. With all the modifications that can be made to make game-play more exciting and customized, it truly is an addictive experience. The 3 different sub-communities in the game (Realism, Clan, CAL) make for a very different experience with every different server you join. I personally find it to be an amazing game that makes me unable to do much else as once I start, I Excellent game. With all the modifications that can be made to make game-play more exciting and customized, it truly is an addictive experience. The 3 different sub-communities in the game (Realism, Clan, CAL) make for a very different experience with every different server you join. I personally find it to be an amazing game that makes me unable to do much else as once I start, I don't stop unless I have to. Expand

1. Game Informer
    The sound of bullets whizzing past your ear or slamming into some nearby surface is disturbingly realistic. [Aug 2003, p.102]
  2. Getting into a game is incredibly easy, and the action draws you in like a real war movie.
  3. DOD irresistibly draws you back for more time and time again. The level designs shine above so many other team-based shooters and provide the perfect stage for some unbeatably tense shootouts.