Day of Defeat PC

9.3

1. NeilA.
    Oct 7, 2006
    I've always loved first person shooting games, including the Halo games. It's fun to play with players oline. The game is a truely WWII experience and lets you see the exact weapons used in the WW.
  2. GrantB.
    Feb 7, 2008
    The best class based WWII shooter out there(besides Bf 1942,of course) Balances tactics, team play and all out shooting.
  3. SlaineRogueTrooper
    May 13, 2006
    Ive been playing all sorts of online games for 8 years now and DoD is Gr8.
  4. LucasH.
    May 10, 2006
    Real god game,even if the graphics arent the newest.IT has a much better gamefeeling than newest WWII games.
  5. RobM.
    May 8, 2006
    Love it, best half life mod there is.
  6. HappinessIsAWarmGun
    Jun 3, 2006
    This game has no bells and whistles. It is all straight forward first-person shooter online action. Just player model and weapon - single shot rifles, semi-auto machine guns, sniper, machine gun, bazooka, and knife (or bayonet and trench shovel).
    What makes this game excellent? The player control of the models and guns is tight - extremely tight. It feels seamless between ones choice of movement and the actual gameplay. In this sense one feels in complete control, and thus the behaviour of your players feels like a true extention of oneself.
    The game lends itself well to teamplay with excellent voice over microphone. The sound in the game is very good, and listening is a critical part of playing well.
    The Day of Defeat community is extensive and skilled and has produced an enormous amount of modified material. There are tons and tons of player created custom maps which are equal in quality to the core of 20 stock maps which come with the game.
    Half-Life is the greatest shooter game ever. So is it any doubt that this ww2-based modification of Half-Life is the greatest WW2 shooter? It has been around for five years now, so the skill level of the player base is fairly high. However, DOD players are usually well-helpful to new players.
    If you like running and gunning in a WW2 environment, you gotta give this game a try. You can also play it off-line by installing free bots (Sturmbots) to learn with. Still over 1500 active servers worldwide.
  7. CassianoF.
    Oct 4, 2007
    Very very light and good WWII game!!!
  8. db
    Mar 5, 2009
    some of the smoothest gameplay, and most intense action. team play is a must, and often makes or breaks a round. weapons are realistic, anf fairly accurate, for being a WWII based first person shooter. most maps are made to resemble actual battlefields in Europe. great game, gotta keep it going!
  9. ThomasL.
    Sep 12, 2006
    The game is awsome, the best multiplayer game I've played to date.
  10. MichalK.
    May 7, 2006
    game is great I spent my whole free time playing it.
  11. schlub
    Mar 29, 2010
    I played on one of the 'free weekends' of this a while ago and it is seriously one of the worst FPS games I've ever played. The guns are crap, and you spend half your time sneaking or crawling around only to get instantly killed by a sniper a million miles away. Apparently it's more 'realistic' but it's simply no fun at all. I am really, really surprised I played on one of the 'free weekends' of this a while ago and it is seriously one of the worst FPS games I've ever played. The guns are crap, and you spend half your time sneaking or crawling around only to get instantly killed by a sniper a million miles away. Apparently it's more 'realistic' but it's simply no fun at all. I am really, really surprised that anyone likes this game. Expand
  12. BlazingArrow
    Apr 26, 2006
    This game is no more than a fraud, a copy, or an insanity to all WW2 games out there. I have played BF1942, Call of Duty, and THIS, and this game was a very big disgrace to any I have seen. CS is far better, for it is not as repetitive and weapon and character skins could use work. Plus, some classes are just like "fillers" like the greasegun vs. the thompson. In addition, ammunition is This game is no more than a fraud, a copy, or an insanity to all WW2 games out there. I have played BF1942, Call of Duty, and THIS, and this game was a very big disgrace to any I have seen. CS is far better, for it is not as repetitive and weapon and character skins could use work. Plus, some classes are just like "fillers" like the greasegun vs. the thompson. In addition, ammunition is very scarce throghout the game, making it very frustrating to actually win. Good game for those WW2 lovers and steam users, but not the best. Some better games out there are BF1942, COD and MOA. Expand
  13. KeithK.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Not only is the gameplay intense and challenging, but the necessity of teamwork continues to maintain my interest years after its release...yes, some say that its features are dull or uninspired in that you are just playing a type of capture the flag or objective based game, but due to the class system, players must work as a team to hold the line and push forward and hold territory. Not only is the gameplay intense and challenging, but the necessity of teamwork continues to maintain my interest years after its release...yes, some say that its features are dull or uninspired in that you are just playing a type of capture the flag or objective based game, but due to the class system, players must work as a team to hold the line and push forward and hold territory. Truely a masterpiece. Expand
  14. NickR.
    May 11, 2006
    DOD ROCKS DOD IS BETTER THAN CRAPPY CS ANY DAY at least there is gun recoil and haveing to be in a position(prone.. crouched satnding still) to get an acurate shot not just spray&pray and head shot 24/7 the maps are fine tho it wouldnt be a bad thing to get some more maps out... i suggest if you own DoD to go and download DoD_kittyhax its an awsome map made by a fellow doder GL HF -{S-S}-
  15. EdH.
    Jun 3, 2006
    The best I've ever played - and it keeps me coming back for more.
  16. FrederikMeringen
    Jun 1, 2009
    great game
  17. MarcP
    Jul 18, 2009
    If you want to play WW2 "Ol' School", buy this game, if you like Good graphics and more players, go for Day of Defeat : Source. I'm not an "Old School" player, So I gave it a 5.
  18. HenrikA.
    Dec 22, 2007
    Great game, high speed match play with aim aswell as tactics! And non of the long boring respwantimes that quite a few games use these days!
  19. Aug 10, 2014
    I bought this game, I installed it, I played an hour I uninstalled. That was my story on Day Of Defeat. How about this game? Say it was good in its day, but that was before. Now this game is exceeded, on a good screen it appears very badly, even at ultra graphics.
  20. Alexpp
    May 28, 2006
    Best game aver! Not boring after some time like CS or HL. maps are large.
  21. MarcD.
    May 5, 2006
    Realistic World War 2 fps that give credit to all who took part in it. Truly a classic game.
  22. KennethB.
    May 6, 2006
    It is fun so in hell, I love it!!!!
  23. Brian
    May 6, 2006
    DOD is a very solid game for multi-player shootem wwii games. sure better lookin stuff is out there but this is freeware. . . cant complain. great selection of boards( most of 'em quite intricate) solid selection of soldier classes. great challenge for all skill levels
  24. MaximilianH.
    May 8, 2006
    This game is the be all end all of waypoint capture games.
  25. DiegueO.
    Jul 5, 2006
    I think it's more tactical than CS, CSS and DOD:S. DoD 1.3 is... brilliant!
  26. YgorF.
    Aug 23, 2006
    The game is awesome, but it seems there is no updating in VAC, making cheaters owe the game. Such way everybody will go to the source(obvious).
  27. MikeC.
    Aug 5, 2006
    This game is the coolest game out there. charile, B.A.R, all fun.
  28. ChrisH.
    Sep 13, 2006
    Been a fan of this game for years... and now I am simply trying to get back to the battlefields and the dirt to have some fun.
  29. RickT.
    Sep 3, 2006
    I love this dam game, I've never played a ww2 game before and I would never would have thought it would be good. This game changed all that, I love this game I play it so much i'm hooked on it.
  30. AnonymousMC
    Oct 6, 2007
    It never gets old. I know I'll get bashed by the CS loyalists, but it really is the best mod out there if you put teamwork and strategy as a major criteria. You outsmart the opposition aside from using your shooting skills and reflexes and yes the concept of teamwork isn't a myth anymore for fps games. As a thinking man's game, it's the Starcraft version of chess.

1. Game Informer
    The sound of bullets whizzing past your ear or slamming into some nearby surface is disturbingly realistic. [Aug 2003, p.102]
  2. Getting into a game is incredibly easy, and the action draws you in like a real war movie.
  3. DOD irresistibly draws you back for more time and time again. The level designs shine above so many other team-based shooters and provide the perfect stage for some unbeatably tense shootouts.