Dead Island: Riptide PC

5.9

1. Apr 25, 2013
    Dead Island Riptide. This game has so many bugs I can't even fit here in this text bar. The voice acting was great on some characters, but not everyone. And why oh why this game is a sequel and not a DLC? There is nothing new added to the game except for boats and a few new zombie types. And why does money even exist in this game? Its a zombie apocalypse, a zombie survival game! Why doesDead Island Riptide. This game has so many bugs I can't even fit here in this text bar. The voice acting was great on some characters, but not everyone. And why oh why this game is a sequel and not a DLC? There is nothing new added to the game except for boats and a few new zombie types. And why does money even exist in this game? Its a zombie apocalypse, a zombie survival game! Why does it cost 2000$ just to fix a baseball bat? If you hated the original game, you will hate this one too. Expand
  2. May 7, 2013
    I liked the original Dead island and with this sequel I was hoping for something new. Unfortunately I hardly got something new. Sure, slaying zombies remains fun but I could do the same in the prequel. Also this game seems to punish you for not playing in co-op as the difficulty doesn't seem to adjust itself when playing with/without other people. The story is mediocre, even with the newI liked the original Dead island and with this sequel I was hoping for something new. Unfortunately I hardly got something new. Sure, slaying zombies remains fun but I could do the same in the prequel. Also this game seems to punish you for not playing in co-op as the difficulty doesn't seem to adjust itself when playing with/without other people. The story is mediocre, even with the new character. The boats are fun for what they are but aren't such a necessity.
    Overall a very average game that could have been great but it feels like just a reboot of the original
  3. Aug 2, 2013
    Techland ponownie robi dwie gry na raz, i ponownie jedna z nich musi na tym ucierpieć. W tym wypadku to nie Call of Juarez, a Dead Island. Bardzo chciałbym w twarz spytać się twórców-CO TO JEST? Naprawdę? Po tak dobrej jedynce dajecie nam coś takiego? Graficznie twórcy nie zrobili DOSŁOWNIE niczego. Smutne jest to że od 1 minęły 3 lata, więc można by poprawić trochę silnik. Fabuła jestTechland ponownie robi dwie gry na raz, i ponownie jedna z nich musi na tym ucierpieć. W tym wypadku to nie Call of Juarez, a Dead Island. Bardzo chciałbym w twarz spytać się twórców-CO TO JEST? Naprawdę? Po tak dobrej jedynce dajecie nam coś takiego? Graficznie twórcy nie zrobili DOSŁOWNIE niczego. Smutne jest to że od 1 minęły 3 lata, więc można by poprawić trochę silnik. Fabuła jest podobna co w pierwowzorze. Uratować siebie, uratować innych. Powiem szczerze, może w jedynce mogłem jakoś wciągnąć się w klimat, ale to co tutaj jest to kompletna nuda. Twórcy nie dodali do rozgrywki prawie nic. Co prawda pojawia się obrona punktów, ale została tak głupio zrobiona że nawet nie pasuje w ogólnie do rozgrywki Dead Island. Do tego twórcy każą nam zapierniczać po całej mapie, trochę piechotą, trochę autem, trochę łodzią, tak żebyśmy stracili godzinie żeby tylko dojść do jakieś głupiego dodatkowego questa, bez którego mamy o wiele mniej XP, bez czego jest o wiele ciężej. Oczywiście da się w to jeszcze grać, jeżeli gra się w to ze znajomymi. Smutne to jest, że znajomi nie będą nawet chcieli w to grać. Moja ocena jest taka wysoka, tylko przez sam system walki i inne plusy poprzedniego DS. Moja ocena 5/10 Expand
  4. Jan 24, 2014
    While the original Dead Island was a solid game it felt a bit rushed towards the end. Riptide on the other hand is rushed from the get go. It's shocking how little effort went into making of Riptide.

Throughout the game you will be constantly reminded what an half-ass job they did. Just the sheer amount of reused assets and locations is enough to make you disoriented and question yourself about whether or not you've already been somewhere.

The inclusion of many loading zones and ladders artificially prolong the game. Also, the enemies re-spawn when you load a zone, so most of the time you have to kill the same mob twice, which takes time but serves no real purpose.

There is an overabundance of stuff to be had and the game fails to prove a challenge at any point in time.

In conclusion, it is my opinion that this games is not worth your money or time. If you are looking for a similar game that you can play with your friends cooperatively, get the original Dead island and you will have a much better time with it.
  5. Jan 29, 2014
    I played Dead island a few times , before Riptide. I will compare them.

Compared to Dead island, riptide has: - less better level design. The dead zones are just small chambers with 1 unique zombie inside. In Dead Island it was quiet a large internal area that you could explore. Playing inside gives a more claustrophobic feeling. The internal areas did even have their own quests. -
    I played Dead island a few times , before Riptide. I will compare them.

Compared to Dead island, riptide has:
    claustrophobic feeling. The internal areas did even have their own quests.
    - much lower difficulty. Riptide is too easy compared to the first part.
    - Riptide you can heal as much as you have healing kits, but in the first part, the kits are much harder to
    get by.
    - a better gun implementation. That's good for Puna players. Or others chars who want to experiment
    with guns
    - Guns are too powerful later in Riptide. One good auto rifle will own them all.
  6. Dec 6, 2013
    Nice coop game. Much less buggy than Dead Island (maybe someone fired the monkeys and hired real developers). Knowing the bad track of the developer, this time I didn't bought first day, waiting instead until it was finished and debugged (not to say much more cheap).
  7. Jun 25, 2013
    This game is as average as average can get, the game starts off with one of the worst openings ever and proceeds to be flat out average the whole way through. If you could stand the first one then you might be able to stand Riptide. I however have played both and prefer the first one by a long shot. The graphics in this game are pretty bad, and character models are horrible. There areThis game is as average as average can get, the game starts off with one of the worst openings ever and proceeds to be flat out average the whole way through. If you could stand the first one then you might be able to stand Riptide. I however have played both and prefer the first one by a long shot. The graphics in this game are pretty bad, and character models are horrible. There are countless technical issues in Riptide, such as screen tearing, but the island does look beautiful from afar and the water does look pretty good. One thing I am really glad they changed is the weapons damage system which has been greatly improved, and therefor weapons last longer. I wished they had added more zombies types in this game, and it would really be a better game if it had a story that I cared about. If the story was good and the graphics were polished this game could get closer to a 7 or an 8. Saying that, this game did do some good things, like the new defense missions where there are zombies flooding a village and you put up barricades and kill all the zombies, I thought that was pretty cool. And I also liked the upgrade system in this game, which I believe returned from the last game, it still works the same and I still liked it. Saying all that this game could have been SO much better, and if Riptide could have a better story and graphics I'd say they could get something really good going. Expand
  8. May 8, 2013
    Its Dead Island with small improvements to combat, coop and lootings but its even buggier and glitchy than the previous game. Although it is alot harder... which I would have liked if it wasn't so unfairly hard. It uses the whole waves of enemies while you defend a area (and in some instances infinite respawning enemies, these areas that you have to run passed which you might realize andIts Dead Island with small improvements to combat, coop and lootings but its even buggier and glitchy than the previous game. Although it is alot harder... which I would have liked if it wasn't so unfairly hard. It uses the whole waves of enemies while you defend a area (and in some instances infinite respawning enemies, these areas that you have to run passed which you might realize and fight till you die). The original game had maybe 1 instance of them both, here we get 3-4 in a shorter game.

+Improvements to combat like new mods and weapons
    +Mini quests (fetch quests) are more interesting this time around rather than the blandness of what was before.
    +Everything the worked before is maintained like modding weapons and visceral combat...

-One bad new gameplay mechanic, a one-hit kill move where you drop down on a zombie from up high, or at least weaken them down enough for a single extra hit to do the trick. But I’d reserve how often I did this, because it would always leave me staring at my feet for a few seconds while getting attacked by the other zombies, helpless and paralyzed...
    -You end up getting pulled underwater when you explore with the boat, I mean seriously? Insta kills just because we want to explore. If you want to make the game linear like the previous dead island, don't block off areas with insta kills, Because we can't see it coming. Just block the areas off with debris, bouy's, nets, rocks...
    -Difficulty scales widely against you when you play on your own, dead island was criticized for throwing in characters into cutscenes when you play on your own... now theres another reason to hate coop designed game. Not playtesting solo games?
    -The game is roughly 15 hours rather than the 22 hours of the original.
    -glitching weapons and enemies through walls and ground, crashes and disappearing items, teleporting even into far away areas when your coop partner dies.. ect
    -Story is even more disjointed and slow than it was before..
  9. Jul 6, 2013
    If you are looking for an advancement and progression on what made the original game great, you'll be severely disappointed. This game is pretty much exactly the same as the original. They've rinsed and repeated the storyline and most of the weapons, and even some building models and textures. I'm sure that this laziness won't be as acceptable in a third game, and Deep Silver should beIf you are looking for an advancement and progression on what made the original game great, you'll be severely disappointed. This game is pretty much exactly the same as the original. They've rinsed and repeated the storyline and most of the weapons, and even some building models and textures. I'm sure that this laziness won't be as acceptable in a third game, and Deep Silver should be well aware of that. They are very lucky that the original was such a good game, or else the score would've been a lot lower. Expand
  10. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dead Island: Riptide isn´t bring us anything new, but when you love the original game, probably you love this game too. It is not a master piece, but you can enjoy for hours. Expand
  11. Oct 13, 2013
    A good basic idea but repetitive missions and numerous bugs make this game boring and repetitive. They could be better exploited the ideas of the first, but it seems that in this sequel there has been no commitment necessary.
  12. Feb 28, 2014
    Now, if you've seen my xbox 360 dead island review, you'd know I liked the original Dead Island. However, unlike Dead Island, I went into this game expecting a good game like the first with some improvements. This game only has one improvement: John, the new character. The rest of the game is worse. The graphics in the first level are bad, and the rest of the game is ok graphics. TheNow, if you've seen my xbox 360 dead island review, you'd know I liked the original Dead Island. However, unlike Dead Island, I went into this game expecting a good game like the first with some improvements. This game only has one improvement: John, the new character. The rest of the game is worse. The graphics in the first level are bad, and the rest of the game is ok graphics. The controls (on pc at least) were bad. The amount of lag I received playing online, was bad. The storyline was ok. The gameplay was slower than Dead Island. And don't expect a good ending for it either. Expand
  13. Jun 22, 2014
    This game was semi-disappointing since Deep Silver did not fix any of the existing problems from the first game, and even threw in a few more bugs. On paper, the game looks like it has plenty of improvements, and even a new character to play with, but they fall short with repetitive loss of sound, heavy spawn glitches, and a lack of original dialog from the voice actors that makes the gameThis game was semi-disappointing since Deep Silver did not fix any of the existing problems from the first game, and even threw in a few more bugs. On paper, the game looks like it has plenty of improvements, and even a new character to play with, but they fall short with repetitive loss of sound, heavy spawn glitches, and a lack of original dialog from the voice actors that makes the game play out like a "WWE ##" game by THQ with **** acting and wrestlers just told to say some lines and leave so they could splice them into the game with a grapefruit spoon and rusty barbed wire. I did enjoy that they added siege functions and that the guns are now actually FUNCTIONAL, unlike the first one. This game is worth it for a few nights of fun if you are only paying $14 bucks or less. Expand
  14. Apr 27, 2013
    ZOMBIEEEEs! :D Hey guys i hope this review will help you. I love zombie games, RE 6 and all the things around. However i also liked Dead Island. I enjoy the game and stuff and was happy when i heard that another part of DI is coming out, riptide. I had big expectations, for example new story new characters and stuff. Sadly i got dissapointed. Reasons for it Same characters nothing new,ZOMBIEEEEs! :D Hey guys i hope this review will help you. I love zombie games, RE 6 and all the things around. However i also liked Dead Island. I enjoy the game and stuff and was happy when i heard that another part of DI is coming out, riptide. I had big expectations, for example new story new characters and stuff. Sadly i got dissapointed. Reasons for it Same characters nothing new, same setting again miles of jungle walking, again same car models, 1000 of other things. Okey they added a new character okey. But what i expect of zombie games is new fire arms, you cant modifiy them for example no supressed weapons would be handy, no sights. Same boring quests, find, put find, search help, bring kill. Apart from that the story is kinda boring. Its not a new game. Its a DLC but its okey nothing special i finished it and it got boring after a while but if you have nothing to play, buy it. Expand
  15. Apr 26, 2013
    If your looking for a great in-depth story narrative, then this is most certainly NOT your game. This is very much like Dead Island 1 with hardly any changes other than the obvious cross-hair change, zombie types and basically- Weapons. It practically plays the same as its predecessor. But If you love killing zombies with a variety of weapons Then this is your game!
  16. Apr 23, 2013
    The story is nice just as it was in the first one so that boosted the rating. And fixing things like appropriate zombie levels to scale with characters is nice. However...Meh... Same game (and bugs somehow). There is nothing new or amazing about this. It really is just the next chapter to a story without any other twists or surprises. When considering getting this game think to yourself,The story is nice just as it was in the first one so that boosted the rating. And fixing things like appropriate zombie levels to scale with characters is nice. However...Meh... Same game (and bugs somehow). There is nothing new or amazing about this. It really is just the next chapter to a story without any other twists or surprises. When considering getting this game think to yourself, "would I read the second book to this series"? Expand
  17. May 6, 2013
    Rewriting my review now that finally I got the game to run without crashing and finished it. Firstly. It is worth saying that it is more of the same. If you enjoy slaughtering hordes of undead monsters in new and progressively more interesting ways then this is a great in terms of gameplay. Gameplay is excellent. Voice acting in this game works too. Even some of the stereotypes areRewriting my review now that finally I got the game to run without crashing and finished it. Firstly. It is worth saying that it is more of the same. If you enjoy slaughtering hordes of undead monsters in new and progressively more interesting ways then this is a great in terms of gameplay. Gameplay is excellent. Voice acting in this game works too. Even some of the stereotypes are just indicative and not quite as annoying as one might imagine because the emotion in the voice acting is extremely good. Story is fine, but personally I still find it a bit too linear but not too jarringly so.

Unfortunately, the bugs and technical limitations plague it. You throw a grenade and your framerate slows to 5 fps for the duration of the time your in the same areas of the detonation. I use tri sli and tried switching it off. Same issue. This is something you can work around but its annoying. More annoying yet, there is a fair bit of switching between zones into instanced type areas. OMG the loading times of these are insane. I haven't seen zone loading times like these in the last 6 years. Seriously, you can go to take a shower. perhaps get a massage and come back with minutes to spare.

This is a console game through and through (though one of the best games from a console and one of the ways it feels like a console game is that the field of view is limited. However, not so jarringly as other console crossovers. I am pretty sensitive to Xbox field of view trick which is one of the reasons why I never really brought games for the consoles but somehow DI rarely made me feel outright nauseous.

The biggest issue though, is the usual console issue. This is a game designed for the console demographic. Many games studios have defined this as the "casual gamer" and this apparently means a short attention span with expectations of buying it Friday and finishing it by Monday. That was certainly the case with this game. Far far too short for a AAA title.

There have been many worse to be fair and it may be that my expectations are not aligned with this "casual gamer" demographic but I like a game to explore and get my teeth into. DI is free roam to be fair but in the same way as many other games get called free roam these days to tick a box. ie. YOu can go back to old zones etc but there is no purpose to it if you were thorough the first time.

I was trying to be thorough but even so. I didnt make it last more than a weekend. I know a lot of people that would be pretty unhappy if they brought this for their kids etc for that reason. Next weekend, they will want a another new game. Makes one wonder what will happen with the next gen consoles reportedly taking steps to kill off the second hand games market in various ways such as limiting access to content on replay. Sorry I digress.

All in all. fun and good entertainment. The usual serious issues of a console port but the game play balances this out so it is worth a punt if it goes on sale.
  18. Sep 10, 2013
    Only...ONLY GET THIS GAME IF YOU JUST LIKE KILLING ZOMBIES.
    Only...ONLY GET THIS GAME IF YOU JUST LIKE KILLING ZOMBIES.
    The story is uninteresting,the voice acting is horrendous, you don't bond with any of the characters and not to mention that they have WEIRD FACES(Some of them).The only great aspect would be the awesome environment,graphics and also the fact that you can KILL ZOMBIES HOW EVER YOU LIKE.Ram them with a car?Sure! Burn them? Sure! Shoot? Sure! Chop? Sure! Electrocute? Sure!. Get it only for the combat gameplay,oh and play it with a friend to maximize the fun of it,playing it alone would result in you getting bored of it easily~
  19. Sep 17, 2013
    Not as good as the original, but still has some good zombie slaying fun, weapon specials are as fun as ever, missions are slightly harder this time around as there is slightly less hand holding. A good game, good re playability.
  20. Apr 25, 2013
    I have played a couple of hours and here are some impressions. I like the looting, the RPG-elements and the gameplay. Some elements ruin the sense of realism, but can be tons of fun if you can look past that fact.

The game looks, plays and sounds EXACTLY like the original Dead Island. Graphics looks dated and ugly up close. No AA or AF, graphic options are poor. FOV is narrow and can't be changed ingame. Soundmix is awful (I had to crank voices up to 90%, and lower the others to 20-30% to be able to hear voices properly.) I am amazed that they have carried over the screeching sound for USB 7.1 headsets (makes the game unbearable to play with i.e. a G35.)

Gameplay has its ups and downs. Mouse acceleration is apparent, it makes the fights more intense; that you have to struggle with the aim. But it makes gunplay insanely frustrating. There are lots of exploration to be done. There are lootable containers EVERYWHERE. They introduce very little new, and has put very little effort into fixing and upgrading previous mechanics.

I am very much enjoying this game. And as many others have pointed out; if you did not like Dead Island, you will not like this.
  21. Apr 25, 2013
    if you enjoyed the first game you will enjoy this one its the same game basically i would reccomend it to fans of the first one thats about it though
  22. Apr 24, 2013
    Please understand this is not Dead Island 2, this is Riptide--do not consider this a sequal but a continuation of the original (a bulk DLC if anything). There is not much new to be done that the first game did not already take care of--there are some new "monsters" such as the Grenadier and Wrestler, some new weapons like the Shovel, Claws, and Staff; but this is the same game, with somePlease understand this is not Dead Island 2, this is Riptide--do not consider this a sequal but a continuation of the original (a bulk DLC if anything). There is not much new to be done that the first game did not already take care of--there are some new "monsters" such as the Grenadier and Wrestler, some new weapons like the Shovel, Claws, and Staff; but this is the same game, with some boats. Those scoring the game low need to take into account the price and their feelings on the first game. If you liked the first game it is difficult to understand why you wouldn't like the same thing... Critics and Users need to realize this is Dead Island, a different Island--but the same game in the series. Listen to me rant more on the Liquid Gamer Podcast where we do an entire show on DI: Riptide. on the LIQUID GAMER PODCAST. Expand
  23. Jun 23, 2013
    Let me start by saying i never played the original dead island...but i have played a LOT of zombie games. That being said, this zombie game is good, but not great: the graphics are great and really add to the creepy atmosphere, some of the game-play mechanics and controls felt clunky, but not to the point of actually hurting the game. the zombie AI plays exactly how you might expect itLet me start by saying i never played the original dead island...but i have played a LOT of zombie games. That being said, this zombie game is good, but not great: the graphics are great and really add to the creepy atmosphere, some of the game-play mechanics and controls felt clunky, but not to the point of actually hurting the game. the zombie AI plays exactly how you might expect it to (an the downside it seems like the human AI does too at times). The fact of the matter is, this game is really quite decent, however there was just one thing that killed it for me: the inclusion of a skill tree...pretty much everything else in the game makes sense for a zombie survival horror: weapons deteriorate and eventually break, you can hold very little ammo and guns are extremely hard to find), even the crafting (while somewhat over the top with slightly ridiculous weapons) still makes sense, but when you add in a skill tree and a leveling system, it takes something away from the experience...but maybe that's just me, either way the game is good, but definitely not worth its current price-tag on steam ($40), if it is ever on sale and you enjoy zombie games you should try it out, odds are you will enjoy it (at least for a little while). Expand
  24. Jul 3, 2013
    Good game. Worth the money and you can get it for 20 bucks new on Amazon. Good plot, good dialogue, some new monsters and weapons. If you liked the first one you'll like this. Some cut and paste locations but that's forgivable. Replayable.
  25. Apr 29, 2013
    The game is fun in its own terms, Lets face it, yes there is going to be bugs and a good amount of them. Its kinda crappy to see all these low scores on such a brought out new game. This game is actually more playable than the first one! It has new features that make zombie slaying more easy, new weapons which balance out gameplay, a new leveling system which doesn't restrict a characterThe game is fun in its own terms, Lets face it, yes there is going to be bugs and a good amount of them. Its kinda crappy to see all these low scores on such a brought out new game. This game is actually more playable than the first one! It has new features that make zombie slaying more easy, new weapons which balance out gameplay, a new leveling system which doesn't restrict a character to one weapon all the time. This game was bent on ideas that a lot of us probably suggested them to do! Sure the gameplay and story seem a bit slow, but the charm is still there and its more than enough to satisfy a zombie slayer in times like this. I say a 7 should sound fair. Mainly because at launch it was sent out what seems too early, but give them some slack. This game is good enough to be able to play once or twice fully and is somewhat worth the money. The gameplay isn't as shabby as other certain games... you all know what I am talking about... and it brings friends close together in another fight for survival and more zombies. However the zombie scale seems to have increased quite a bit, I think its more of a challenge this time. Instead of the first ones where all you did was walk up to a zombie and kick it in the face and stab it.

Its a game that is willing to do a lot. Its impressive for a first release however could be tweaked on more before said release as there are some complications. No worries though, when you realize how much there is to do on this small island, it doesn't become a tedious task. Its just another zombie survival game worth its time
  26. May 14, 2013
    If you happened to like the first Dead Island you will also enjoy Riptide as well. The game has some minor improvements, a new character, new enemies and new weapons. It is basically an expansion pack to the original game and should be evaluated as such. Nothing spectacular, but overall a good game.
  27. Apr 25, 2013
    Great game, but simply not worth it feels more like a DLC, the new options of the game are very limited, mostly of them being older bugs from the previous game fixed/some minor bonuses+the new dungeons that you can go in/world bosses.The replayability feels like a hangover from the game and all the closed spaces make me don't want to explore the areas with off-quests.
    They should have
    They should have kept some of the more open-areas from the first game.....and add more exiting stuff
    In a word,mediocre...
  28. May 3, 2013
    First of all this is an expansion pack not a sequel. The only thing you get is a new campaign with a few new enemies and a new (useless) character everything else is pretty much the same. Same gameplay mechanic, same graphic and also the same bugs and problems (they could of at least fixed the autoequip problem so I don't have to do it myself). I liked the game but not so much as the firstFirst of all this is an expansion pack not a sequel. The only thing you get is a new campaign with a few new enemies and a new (useless) character everything else is pretty much the same. Same gameplay mechanic, same graphic and also the same bugs and problems (they could of at least fixed the autoequip problem so I don't have to do it myself). I liked the game but not so much as the first game since the locations are a bit boring. Expand
  29. Jun 9, 2013
    As someone who loved the gore and head severing the dead island featured, i was looking for more of the same. However, the movement in this game is pretty awful, as are the spawning bugs. But as I've told my friends, if you're just looking for a good time, and not a good story (which this lacks) then go ahead and get this game. Its also fun in co-op, but connections are buggy. I thinkAs someone who loved the gore and head severing the dead island featured, i was looking for more of the same. However, the movement in this game is pretty awful, as are the spawning bugs. But as I've told my friends, if you're just looking for a good time, and not a good story (which this lacks) then go ahead and get this game. Its also fun in co-op, but connections are buggy. I think more people just need to give the game a chance. Poor voice acting and NPC's as well. Expand
  30. Sep 12, 2014
    more of the same but less of the same. Riptide plays and looks pretty much like Dead Island with a few new changes/skills thrown in. fans of the previous version won't really complain about the gameplay or mechanics. however, given that it was released as a stand-alone full-priced game, content is not enough and game is too short. this should probably have been released as a DLC for halfmore of the same but less of the same. Riptide plays and looks pretty much like Dead Island with a few new changes/skills thrown in. fans of the previous version won't really complain about the gameplay or mechanics. however, given that it was released as a stand-alone full-priced game, content is not enough and game is too short. this should probably have been released as a DLC for half the retail price. Expand
  31. May 9, 2015
    Dead Island Riptide, or what should be named Dead Island 1.5, (because this content-lacking, non- original game is NOT a sequel) is just like its predecessor, hilariously fun. Sometimes.

Dead Island was one of those games where you either loved it or you hated it, it was NOWHERE near perfect and had a bunch of hilarious, yet sometimes annoying bugs. What was supposed to be an open-world psychological horror game, ended up as a fun and funny game to play with friends. it wasn't scary in the slightest, unless you were playing completely alone, with headphones on, and playing alone got pretty repetitive and boring. The story was dull, you didn't care about the characters, and the voice acting and the way it matched up with the mouth animations was a laughing fest.

Now you might be wondering, this is Dead Island: Riptide, why are you reviewing Dead Island. That's because these games are EXACTLY the same. It is literally a repeat of the first game, with very little new introduced at all. If you try playing this game right after you beat Dead Island, you are gonna get bored and sick of it really fast, so I recommend waiting a while after you finish Dead Island to play through this, and it will feel a lot more fresh and entertaining. The kept in all the fun things, but they also didn't really fix anything that was bad in the first game. It is still riddled with bugs, it still has an awful, tedious story, it still has that horribly flawed weapon/money system (weapons break in 10 swings and cost $3000 to fix!), and it still has a tragically terrible physics engine. Now like I mentioned before these bugs can be hilarious (zombies running at a stationary car and go flying), but they can be annoying sometimes (opening door causes me to fly 30 meters in the sky and die from fall damage). However, just like the original this is a very fun game to play with friends, and is still an enjoyable experience

If you liked the original, you'll like this. If you hated the original, you'll most certainly hate this.

32. Aug 15, 2014
    Not a bad game, although it does have a lot of bugs leftover. The game is fun in the first 10 hours, then it gets repetitive because of 2 reasons.

One is that enemies will spawn at the exact spawn points whenever you are far away from the area for several steps, so you end up fighting them with the same strategy used before. Second reason is that the game is built on the base of

Second reason is that the game is built on the base of finding supplies, so all nature of quests and player's exploration all points to finding better loot or required materials.

So, the flows end up like this: explore and kill zombies, loot for items (button F mashing), backtrack and fight the enemies again, return to the camp to drop loot or hand in quest, repair items, rinse and repeat.

This becomes boring when you keep on doing that throughout the course of game.
  33. Jul 21, 2015
    This game is pretty much just like the first game. Sure I loved the first Dead Island, but Riptide doesn't improve anything that needed improving. And to me seems worse.

With some minor improvements such as alcohol, molotov's grenades no longer taking up inventory space and there are now specific weapons classed as throwing which also don't waste inventory space, such as throwing knives.

I like that I could import my lvl 52 character.

Story was not as good as the first and neither were the locations, weren't as interesting or as fun to explore. Walking slowly through flooded jungle becomes tiresome. It feels more like a tunnel than open world.

Dislike that still guns can only be found in later lvls, nor can you store excess ammo in your inventory, can only have maximum in your gun and that's it.

For completing a mission my lvl 70 character is awarded a purple lvl 15 pistol. Rewards should be equivalent to my characters lvl.

I carried a fuel container to a petrol bowser and left it there and went into the nearby bungalow which loaded as a seperate zone and fought some killer zombie and came out and my fuel container was not there anymore, it was listed as back where I picked it up from. Really annoying that when you go into bungalows and caves they load as a seperate area and when you go back out everything is reset including zombies, cars and items.
    This is really annoying, that I have to trek all that way again.

Also going into another zone such as a building and out again will cause the side quest you were tracking to change to tracking the main quest instead.

Ordinary Walker Zombie's can one hit kill very accurately by throwing a weapon at you. A bit ridiculous and contradictory considering they aren't smart enough to climb a ladder, but are smart enough to use and throw a knife at you. Zombies are meant to be mindless and it takes a being with a mind and reason to be able to use a weapon. (I know zombies could throw weapons in the first game, but that didn't result in 1 hit kills with full health).

Respawns are way too fast.

I clear an area and zombies respawn moments later. They seem to make respawns in Riptide way too fast. I liked how it was In the first game, the area would stay clear for quite a long while.

Still no autosave added, not being able to save when you want is a pain, the game only saves when you quit or reach cheackpoints. I exited the game after the survivors moved from Paradise camp to Halai Village, but when I reloaded my game I was not in Halai village which is SE, for some stupid reason my character was all the way fartherest south west point in Pearl Sands. It should leave your character where you quit. Not on the total opposite side of where your character last was. Other times after reloading. Quitting and reloading has the problem of not knowing where your character will be as it's often not where you last were.

There's too many annoying things that make Riptide not as fun as the first.
    The game was sort of fun, but also frustrated me alot and took patience to be able to endure the frustrating elements, it felt like a backward step with this game instead of forward.
  34. Feb 4, 2015
    'Riptide' is an excellent follow up to the original 'Dead Island' game, and even though it's essentially the same thing with a continued storyline, it was just as much fun playing through as the original. The change in atmosphere, the more cinematic cut-scenes, added waterboats, and new enemies are great additions and make 'Riptide' worth experiencing even if you think you know what the'Riptide' is an excellent follow up to the original 'Dead Island' game, and even though it's essentially the same thing with a continued storyline, it was just as much fun playing through as the original. The change in atmosphere, the more cinematic cut-scenes, added waterboats, and new enemies are great additions and make 'Riptide' worth experiencing even if you think you know what the game already has to offer.

One of the best parts about this series is how long it takes to actually get some god damn firearms. I'm sure that's a huge turn-off for some people, but I love clawing my way through horde after horde with just my bare hands and some pipes to get to the good stuff. 'Riptide' has more of a focus on firearms than 'Dead Island', but the grinding to find them isn't lost at all. 'Riptide' is also far less punishing when it comes to how quickly your weapons break apart. So there's always that.

As for the story, it's pretty much what you'd expect, cheesy dialogue from a group of misfit characters trying to escape the island to save their lives, and he music is better than the first and feels like it would be right at home in an 80's slasher flick. There's also plenty to do; mostly find this, find that, go here, go there, save him, save her, but despite the repetition in quests, it never felt like I was doing the same thing over and over again. 'Riptide' is definitely worth picking up during the next sale.
  35. Apr 25, 2013
    They should have
    In a word,mediocre...

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Dead Island Riptide walks the same path as its predecessor. Another tropical island filled with boring mission design and loads of filler time in the form of traveling between different locations. And like last time it is still quite entertaining. At least with a couple of friends.
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    An attempt to remake the pretty-looking shambler - with no effort to improve the balance of game systems or iron out bugs. [July 2013, p.80]
  3. Jun 19, 2013
    Two years ago, I criticized the original Dead Island for its storyline that was nonsensical even by the usually low standards of the ‘zombie’ genre. Well, Riptide plunges even deeper. And don’t even dream of exploring the game’s open world – there is absolutely nothing worth your time.