5.9

1. Apr 24, 2013
    The game is certainly rough around the edges but what is there is a lot of fun. There is so much to explore and the combat just feels right. I don't need this game to reinvent the wheel, I laugh at people who make these sorts of arguments considering very few games today are truly revolutionizing anything. Dead Island has tons of stuff to explore, weapons to collect, and zombies to kill.The game is certainly rough around the edges but what is there is a lot of fun. There is so much to explore and the combat just feels right. I don't need this game to reinvent the wheel, I laugh at people who make these sorts of arguments considering very few games today are truly revolutionizing anything. Dead Island has tons of stuff to explore, weapons to collect, and zombies to kill. The cut scenes are bad, the story is barely there, and I don't care. I just want to have some visceral combat and get cool weapons to continue the slaughter. The game is delivering on that flawlessly. Expand
  2. Apr 29, 2013
    I loved the first game .Played almost 500 hours. I love the game play and graphics, but this games crashes for no reason. If I am running to a location or driving fast it will crash. If I enter a room fast it will crash. Do not buy this game until they fix it. It is seriously broken. I have a good gaming computer. I am Playing Star Trek the game 2013 ,Bioshock Infinity and Borderlands 2I loved the first game .Played almost 500 hours. I love the game play and graphics, but this games crashes for no reason. If I am running to a location or driving fast it will crash. If I enter a room fast it will crash. Do not buy this game until they fix it. It is seriously broken. I have a good gaming computer. I am Playing Star Trek the game 2013 ,Bioshock Infinity and Borderlands 2 they run fine.

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 Bios 1501
    Mobo: Asus P6X58D Premium
    Video: EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    Video Driver: 320.00-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-beta
    Ram: XMS3 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (TR3X6G1600C8)
    PSU: RAIDMAX RX-1200AE 1200W
    HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    Heatsink: HEATKILLER Rev3.0 Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator
    Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
  3. Dec 6, 2013
    Nice coop game. Much less buggy than Dead Island (maybe someone fired the monkeys and hired real developers). Knowing the bad track of the developer, this time I didn't bought first day, waiting instead until it was finished and debugged (not to say much more cheap).
  4. May 6, 2013
    Rewriting my review now that finally I got the game to run without crashing and finished it. Firstly. It is worth saying that it is more of the same. If you enjoy slaughtering hordes of undead monsters in new and progressively more interesting ways then this is a great in terms of gameplay. Gameplay is excellent. Voice acting in this game works too. Even some of the stereotypes areRewriting my review now that finally I got the game to run without crashing and finished it. Firstly. It is worth saying that it is more of the same. If you enjoy slaughtering hordes of undead monsters in new and progressively more interesting ways then this is a great in terms of gameplay. Gameplay is excellent. Voice acting in this game works too. Even some of the stereotypes are just indicative and not quite as annoying as one might imagine because the emotion in the voice acting is extremely good. Story is fine, but personally I still find it a bit too linear but not too jarringly so.

Unfortunately, the bugs and technical limitations plague it. You throw a grenade and your framerate slows to 5 fps for the duration of the time your in the same areas of the detonation. I use tri sli and tried switching it off. Same issue. This is something you can work around but its annoying. More annoying yet, there is a fair bit of switching between zones into instanced type areas. OMG the loading times of these are insane. I haven't seen zone loading times like these in the last 6 years. Seriously, you can go to take a shower. perhaps get a massage and come back with minutes to spare.

This is a console game through and through (though one of the best games from a console and one of the ways it feels like a console game is that the field of view is limited. However, not so jarringly as other console crossovers. I am pretty sensitive to Xbox field of view trick which is one of the reasons why I never really brought games for the consoles but somehow DI rarely made me feel outright nauseous.

The biggest issue though, is the usual console issue. This is a game designed for the console demographic. Many games studios have defined this as the "casual gamer" and this apparently means a short attention span with expectations of buying it Friday and finishing it by Monday. That was certainly the case with this game. Far far too short for a AAA title.

There have been many worse to be fair and it may be that my expectations are not aligned with this "casual gamer" demographic but I like a game to explore and get my teeth into. DI is free roam to be fair but in the same way as many other games get called free roam these days to tick a box. ie. YOu can go back to old zones etc but there is no purpose to it if you were thorough the first time.

I was trying to be thorough but even so. I didnt make it last more than a weekend. I know a lot of people that would be pretty unhappy if they brought this for their kids etc for that reason. Next weekend, they will want a another new game. Makes one wonder what will happen with the next gen consoles reportedly taking steps to kill off the second hand games market in various ways such as limiting access to content on replay. Sorry I digress.

All in all. fun and good entertainment. The usual serious issues of a console port but the game play balances this out so it is worth a punt if it goes on sale.
  5. Apr 25, 2013
    If you liked Dead Island, then you definitely have to try DI:Riptide. It still looks more like solid addon, then a sequel, but has some improvements that make game even more fun and addictive. More weapons including harpoons and nailguns, improved interface, bosses, boats, tonns of quests (some of them are just hillarious), and new story in an vast and well designed island. SameIf you liked Dead Island, then you definitely have to try DI:Riptide. It still looks more like solid addon, then a sequel, but has some improvements that make game even more fun and addictive. More weapons including harpoons and nailguns, improved interface, bosses, boats, tonns of quests (some of them are just hillarious), and new story in an vast and well designed island. Same zombie-slashing-rpg fun, but with great additions to gameplay. It still has some glitches and flaws from the original, but game is too much fun to be ruined by them. Obviously best zombie-rpg for the moment! Expand
  6. Apr 23, 2013
    This game, should be great. But currently, the reason people wanted to play this game is BROKEN. Co-Op doesn't work, Day 1, you can't even play with your friends. Whole reason 90% people want to play this game, with your friends! You send it out BROKEN? Add in the massive feedback sound for people with 7.1/USB Headsets. Same ISSUE AS IN GAME 1.

Your suppose to learn from your

Your suppose to learn from your mistakes, not repeat them & make them worse then before. So I currently, this review is going be very low, because I am tired of companies giving us garbage & expecting us to praise them. Fix your problems, maybe you might see happy customer base, not to mention you should do more to for them, since you screwed them over right off the bat.
  7. Apr 28, 2013
    Compared to the first installment of Dead Island, this is a complete disaster.
    I don't even know what went wrong, the gameplay is a mess, hitting zombies is just about luck and not skills anymore.
    Compared to the first installment of Dead Island, this is a complete disaster.
    The controls and the combat mechanics are clunky as hell and very annoying when you are surrounded by zombies. Not only they made them tougher but also buggier and glitchier just like everything else in this game.

Visually it doesn't look that good either, zombies spawning in from of you out of nowhere, graphical bugs and random crashes.

Horrible music, terrible voice acting.
    Constantly bashing zombies just got way too repetitive and boring in this sequel.

This is a complete messed up game, don't even bother unless its $5.
    Save your cash and get the first Dead Island instead. This is just pathetic beyond relief.
  8. May 3, 2013
    Fun addictive melee combat that, atleast from my experience in co-op, carries you through the passable graphics and weak story. Had no major glitches (only stuff like ragdoll spazzing which is pretty funny). Feels more fair than the last game where, especially in the city, you would constantly get attacked by many special zombies at a time. In my experience it is nothing but improvementsFun addictive melee combat that, atleast from my experience in co-op, carries you through the passable graphics and weak story. Had no major glitches (only stuff like ragdoll spazzing which is pretty funny). Feels more fair than the last game where, especially in the city, you would constantly get attacked by many special zombies at a time. In my experience it is nothing but improvements and whilst the core mechanics are the same it has a lower price point to make up for this. Expand
  9. Apr 24, 2013
    mindless game, i enjoyed first DI game. DIR is more of the same thing which is not necessary the bad thing. I actually enjoyed it and truly recommend for those who liked the first part. o

Bad things? story, story, story.. it sucks.. they need to sort it out in next DI!
  10. Apr 25, 2013
    I have played a couple of hours and here are some impressions. I like the looting, the RPG-elements and the gameplay. Some elements ruin the sense of realism, but can be tons of fun if you can look past that fact.

The game looks, plays and sounds EXACTLY like the original Dead Island. Graphics looks dated and ugly up close. No AA or AF, graphic options are poor. FOV is narrow and can't be changed ingame. Soundmix is awful (I had to crank voices up to 90%, and lower the others to 20-30% to be able to hear voices properly.) I am amazed that they have carried over the screeching sound for USB 7.1 headsets (makes the game unbearable to play with i.e. a G35.)

Gameplay has its ups and downs. Mouse acceleration is apparent, it makes the fights more intense; that you have to struggle with the aim. But it makes gunplay insanely frustrating. There are lots of exploration to be done. There are lootable containers EVERYWHERE. They introduce very little new, and has put very little effort into fixing and upgrading previous mechanics.

I am very much enjoying this game. And as many others have pointed out; if you did not like Dead Island, you will not like this.
  11. Apr 29, 2013
    The Dead Island series is probably one of the most divisive game franchises of the last 5 years. Either you really like it, or you just don't. I played through the original a couple of times using different characters, not because the story was any good, because it isn't, and not because it looks very good, but honestly it looks pretty average.

What sets the Dead Island series ahead of

What sets the Dead Island series ahead of other zombie games is the great coop support and combat mechanics, specifically the analog based control you have when it comes to planning body part specific attacks against enemies. With a good group of 2-4 people, you can wade through large groups of infected pretty quickly, and it's super satisfying breaking the arms on a big thug and then whittling away at him while he's trying to head butt or bite at you.

The story in Riptide is also a bit better than the original. This time they dive into the background of the infection more, which is cool. It's still not Uncharted or Bioshock levels of storytelling, but they give you just enough to maintain interest.

In the end, if you played the original and enjoyed it, you'll probably have a lot of fun with this one. If you never played the original, I would recommend buying it first, you can pick it up for $5-$10 pretty regularly if you keep an eye out for Steam or Greenmangaming sales. Play it with other people to get the full experience out of it. It may take a little to reach a point where you feel like a badass, but the payoff is definitely worth it.
  12. May 8, 2013
    Riptide is a confusing game. I like it. I like the new stuff they added, the scenery, the stuff they kept that worked well, but i can't lose the feeling that they could have done much better with the time they had on their hands :P It feels rushed, bland. It doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, although it can get like that sometimes, it just means they aimed at die hard fans as the keyRiptide is a confusing game. I like it. I like the new stuff they added, the scenery, the stuff they kept that worked well, but i can't lose the feeling that they could have done much better with the time they had on their hands :P It feels rushed, bland. It doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, although it can get like that sometimes, it just means they aimed at die hard fans as the key demographic. Its somewhat disturbingly harsh difficulty is a challenge for veteran players and as such, i guess, can be a turn off for some of the newcomers. The weapons and recipes are familiar and fresh at the same time. The new map is very detailed, though the mini map feature is a little retarded. The game is flawed, that's a given, but it's also tons of fun, once you put some time into it. Or you can wait for a proper patch, so you don't have to suffer any indignity. Your call. Collapse
  13. Jun 23, 2013
    Let me start by saying i never played the original dead island...but i have played a LOT of zombie games. That being said, this zombie game is good, but not great: the graphics are great and really add to the creepy atmosphere, some of the game-play mechanics and controls felt clunky, but not to the point of actually hurting the game. the zombie AI plays exactly how you might expect itLet me start by saying i never played the original dead island...but i have played a LOT of zombie games. That being said, this zombie game is good, but not great: the graphics are great and really add to the creepy atmosphere, some of the game-play mechanics and controls felt clunky, but not to the point of actually hurting the game. the zombie AI plays exactly how you might expect it to (an the downside it seems like the human AI does too at times). The fact of the matter is, this game is really quite decent, however there was just one thing that killed it for me: the inclusion of a skill tree...pretty much everything else in the game makes sense for a zombie survival horror: weapons deteriorate and eventually break, you can hold very little ammo and guns are extremely hard to find), even the crafting (while somewhat over the top with slightly ridiculous weapons) still makes sense, but when you add in a skill tree and a leveling system, it takes something away from the experience...but maybe that's just me, either way the game is good, but definitely not worth its current price-tag on steam ($40), if it is ever on sale and you enjoy zombie games you should try it out, odds are you will enjoy it (at least for a little while). Expand
  14. Jun 23, 2013
    This review is based on experiences made at 14% main plot progression. As stated before by others, if you loved the original, you will enjoy this one too. In fact I think Deep Silver managed to mess (a bit) up more things than corrected, but it is still a good game. The graphics are basically the same; no wonder, we are still on a tropical island. I would say it is beautiful, although, forThis review is based on experiences made at 14% main plot progression. As stated before by others, if you loved the original, you will enjoy this one too. In fact I think Deep Silver managed to mess (a bit) up more things than corrected, but it is still a good game. The graphics are basically the same; no wonder, we are still on a tropical island. I would say it is beautiful, although, for example, the waterfalls look like in ten year old games. I think the overall FPS dropped compared to the "vanilla" DI, but it still can produce 25-30 frames per sec on a 7 year old Pentium D with Radeon HD5770 on almost maximum settings (cheers for Deep Silver!). The gameplay is the same: you start with a basic weapon, you get quests, begin exploring, get rewards and loot. A big plus that you can import your DI characters and continue on the same level where you left them, although you will not get their equipment and known mods. I think the movement of the characters became more sluggish, but you will get used to it in no time. The voice actors for the main characters are the same as in DI, and the overall quality of acting is also the same: not bad, but no Oscar. The story so far contains absolutely no surprises, but I must tell, I don't care. I am on a zombie infested island, and I am not there for drama. I am there to kick ass. The game deliver this, so why complain? Expand
  15. May 7, 2013
    I liked the original Dead island and with this sequel I was hoping for something new. Unfortunately I hardly got something new. Sure, slaying zombies remains fun but I could do the same in the prequel. Also this game seems to punish you for not playing in co-op as the difficulty doesn't seem to adjust itself when playing with/without other people. The story is mediocre, even with the newI liked the original Dead island and with this sequel I was hoping for something new. Unfortunately I hardly got something new. Sure, slaying zombies remains fun but I could do the same in the prequel. Also this game seems to punish you for not playing in co-op as the difficulty doesn't seem to adjust itself when playing with/without other people. The story is mediocre, even with the new character. The boats are fun for what they are but aren't such a necessity.
    Overall a very average game that could have been great but it feels like just a reboot of the original
  16. May 31, 2013
    well.
    i loved the first dead island game, but riptide is a joke!
    how can people honestly rate it higher than 2, maybe 3? probably those people didnt play the first and awesome dead island. riptide is like buying a lacoste or nike shirt in china, you get a cheap copy of a wonderful original thing. if it was a dlc, i wouldnt mind, the other dlcs were not that great either,... but
    well.
    i loved the first dead island game, but riptide is a joke!

if it was a dlc, i wouldnt mind, the other dlcs were not that great either,...

but selling this as full new game, without any information that its basically the same game, only with terrible changes and an additional character... thats just robbery in my opinion.
    please do yourself a favour and dont buy it, not even for 5 euros on sale in the future!
  17. Oct 27, 2013
    This is indeed more of the same Dead Island gameplay, hardly any changes, hardly any tweaks, hardly any improvements. But I don't care because I loved the original so much and am happy to have more.
  18. Apr 30, 2013
    For $40 you get a rad open-world zombie RPG in an island setting. Tons of scavenging loot, tons of melee weapons, tons of fun in co-op. It's slower paced combat, but it's also far more visceral, and the RPG elements let you customize your character to your play style. Also, the weapon mods are dope.
  19. Apr 26, 2013
    I'll put it in a nutshell last year I rated the 10 out of 10 as the game was fresh, interesting etc.
    This year I can not rate this game higher than 1, as I see no difference, and what's more important see no soul in the game. It's a dump copypaste, sad.
  20. Apr 26, 2013
    Insanity, buying the same game twice, and expecting a different result.

Still broken and buggy despite being a minor expansion pack to a 2 year old game.
  21. Jul 3, 2013
    Good game. Worth the money and you can get it for 20 bucks new on Amazon. Good plot, good dialogue, some new monsters and weapons. If you liked the first one you'll like this. Some cut and paste locations but that's forgivable. Replayable.
  22. May 9, 2013
    Si te gusto el primer juego este es mucho mejor. Ahora puedes subir hasta el nivel 70 por cada personaje. El juego muestra mejores graficas, mejores skills o habilidades, mejor gameplay. La historia es la continuacion de lo que paso en el ultimo. No se como le han dado tan poca puntuacion. Si te gusto el primero este te encantara. Actualmente estoy jugando multiplayer y es super divertido.Si te gusto el primer juego este es mucho mejor. Ahora puedes subir hasta el nivel 70 por cada personaje. El juego muestra mejores graficas, mejores skills o habilidades, mejor gameplay. La historia es la continuacion de lo que paso en el ultimo. No se como le han dado tan poca puntuacion. Si te gusto el primero este te encantara. Actualmente estoy jugando multiplayer y es super divertido. Lo recomiendo a cualquiera. Expand
  23. Jul 8, 2013
    A mere mission pack, where you can clearly see when they run out of money. The beginning is fine, but further you get, disappointment rises, and last third (with ending) is just miserable. Ending was a joke and it's clear they want to milk the series even more. I wouldn't be against it if the quality wasn't so poor! There is hardly any improvement at all and I don't know how they expectA mere mission pack, where you can clearly see when they run out of money. The beginning is fine, but further you get, disappointment rises, and last third (with ending) is just miserable. Ending was a joke and it's clear they want to milk the series even more. I wouldn't be against it if the quality wasn't so poor! There is hardly any improvement at all and I don't know how they expect people to get interested when the best they could do is this. Expand
  24. Apr 29, 2013
    The game is fun in its own terms, Lets face it, yes there is going to be bugs and a good amount of them. Its kinda crappy to see all these low scores on such a brought out new game. This game is actually more playable than the first one! It has new features that make zombie slaying more easy, new weapons which balance out gameplay, a new leveling system which doesn't restrict a characterThe game is fun in its own terms, Lets face it, yes there is going to be bugs and a good amount of them. Its kinda crappy to see all these low scores on such a brought out new game. This game is actually more playable than the first one! It has new features that make zombie slaying more easy, new weapons which balance out gameplay, a new leveling system which doesn't restrict a character to one weapon all the time. This game was bent on ideas that a lot of us probably suggested them to do! Sure the gameplay and story seem a bit slow, but the charm is still there and its more than enough to satisfy a zombie slayer in times like this. I say a 7 should sound fair. Mainly because at launch it was sent out what seems too early, but give them some slack. This game is good enough to be able to play once or twice fully and is somewhat worth the money. The gameplay isn't as shabby as other certain games... you all know what I am talking about... and it brings friends close together in another fight for survival and more zombies. However the zombie scale seems to have increased quite a bit, I think its more of a challenge this time. Instead of the first ones where all you did was walk up to a zombie and kick it in the face and stab it.

Its a game that is willing to do a lot. Its impressive for a first release however could be tweaked on more before said release as there are some complications. No worries though, when you realize how much there is to do on this small island, it doesn't become a tedious task. Its just another zombie survival game worth its time
  25. Apr 24, 2013
    Please understand this is not Dead Island 2, this is Riptide--do not consider this a sequal but a continuation of the original (a bulk DLC if anything). There is not much new to be done that the first game did not already take care of--there are some new "monsters" such as the Grenadier and Wrestler, some new weapons like the Shovel, Claws, and Staff; but this is the same game, with somePlease understand this is not Dead Island 2, this is Riptide--do not consider this a sequal but a continuation of the original (a bulk DLC if anything). There is not much new to be done that the first game did not already take care of--there are some new "monsters" such as the Grenadier and Wrestler, some new weapons like the Shovel, Claws, and Staff; but this is the same game, with some boats. Those scoring the game low need to take into account the price and their feelings on the first game. If you liked the first game it is difficult to understand why you wouldn't like the same thing... Critics and Users need to realize this is Dead Island, a different Island--but the same game in the series. Listen to me rant more on the Liquid Gamer Podcast where we do an entire show on DI: Riptide. on the LIQUID GAMER PODCAST. Expand
  26. Jun 25, 2013
    This game is as average as average can get, the game starts off with one of the worst openings ever and proceeds to be flat out average the whole way through. If you could stand the first one then you might be able to stand Riptide. I however have played both and prefer the first one by a long shot. The graphics in this game are pretty bad, and character models are horrible. There areThis game is as average as average can get, the game starts off with one of the worst openings ever and proceeds to be flat out average the whole way through. If you could stand the first one then you might be able to stand Riptide. I however have played both and prefer the first one by a long shot. The graphics in this game are pretty bad, and character models are horrible. There are countless technical issues in Riptide, such as screen tearing, but the island does look beautiful from afar and the water does look pretty good. One thing I am really glad they changed is the weapons damage system which has been greatly improved, and therefor weapons last longer. I wished they had added more zombies types in this game, and it would really be a better game if it had a story that I cared about. If the story was good and the graphics were polished this game could get closer to a 7 or an 8. Saying that, this game did do some good things, like the new defense missions where there are zombies flooding a village and you put up barricades and kill all the zombies, I thought that was pretty cool. And I also liked the upgrade system in this game, which I believe returned from the last game, it still works the same and I still liked it. Saying all that this game could have been SO much better, and if Riptide could have a better story and graphics I'd say they could get something really good going. Expand
  27. Apr 23, 2013
    The story is nice just as it was in the first one so that boosted the rating. And fixing things like appropriate zombie levels to scale with characters is nice. However...Meh... Same game (and bugs somehow). There is nothing new or amazing about this. It really is just the next chapter to a story without any other twists or surprises. When considering getting this game think to yourself,The story is nice just as it was in the first one so that boosted the rating. And fixing things like appropriate zombie levels to scale with characters is nice. However...Meh... Same game (and bugs somehow). There is nothing new or amazing about this. It really is just the next chapter to a story without any other twists or surprises. When considering getting this game think to yourself, "would I read the second book to this series"? Expand
  28. Apr 25, 2013
    It is not horribly difficult to love the original Dead Island. Even if you did love the original, Riptide's lack of vision somehow serves to make its predecessor seem better by comparison. Riptide is not changed enough in good ways and changed more than enough in bad ways to take what was a critically divisive but ultimately enjoyable title and turn it into a thoroughly unenjoyable one.
  29. Jun 28, 2014
    I really don't know what to say. This game had so much potential and yet it is marred with horrendous glitches that result in a crash almost every 20 minutes, if not other game breaking problems. You cannot alt tab, loading screens take nearly 10 minutes, entering a new area will take you right to your desktop, items are lost, this is simply horrible. The game would have easily been anI really don't know what to say. This game had so much potential and yet it is marred with horrendous glitches that result in a crash almost every 20 minutes, if not other game breaking problems. You cannot alt tab, loading screens take nearly 10 minutes, entering a new area will take you right to your desktop, items are lost, this is simply horrible. The game would have easily been an 8/10 if not for the technical issues, even with the god inventory management system, well, that's too bad. Expand
  30. Jun 10, 2013
    When I started to play it thought they failed a lot of things. Later I founded game is extremely addictive and have same charm like old DI! It have some things which could be better, too similar to original, but overall very fun to play! Need some new missions DLC soon!!!
  31. JEK
    Apr 30, 2013
    First off, I'm a fan of the first installment. I'm not complaining about the new one but they should have fixed the game and mix it up with some new elements. The have added a boat riding zombie but the rest are the same. Riptide is overcrowded unlike the 1st one where the scenery is beautiful. This one is a bit muddy and flood full game (lol). I Miss the resort type of feel. They shouldFirst off, I'm a fan of the first installment. I'm not complaining about the new one but they should have fixed the game and mix it up with some new elements. The have added a boat riding zombie but the rest are the same. Riptide is overcrowded unlike the 1st one where the scenery is beautiful. This one is a bit muddy and flood full game (lol). I Miss the resort type of feel. They should have added like a motorcycle or different vehicle (not that boat). They should have enhance the graphic through cut scenes. Overall, It's a fun game. Expand
  32. May 1, 2013
    There's nothing I hate more than a goddamn cash-grab, so I found myself disappointed I'd been lied to again by Deep Silver. To Deep Silver, changing a game is literally just re-hashing the already-fulfilled story, adding one character, adding a few more weapons, some drivable boats, and fixing NONE of the problems of the original.
  33. Apr 23, 2013
    It is like the first one but I liked the first one this one doesn't work and its newer, me and my friend got this game for $70 to continue the story and we can't even join each others game I am disappointed with this company and don't think I will purchase another broken game from them again
  34. Apr 25, 2013
    if you enjoyed the first game you will enjoy this one its the same game basically i would reccomend it to fans of the first one thats about it though
  35. Apr 25, 2013
    Dead Island Riptide is still as flawed as the original, but that doesn't mean its unplayable. Anybody who found any enjoyment in the original should play through Riptide.
  36. Apr 28, 2013
    It don't interest my much at all.. Driving a car feels very weird. Slashing through enemies is impossible due to the stamina and needing to repair your weapon, i just fully upgraded my BBQ blade and i need to still repair weapon every now and then but as bad as when i first got it of course.. I like how most of its like FC3 like obtaining money or scavenging for items. GFX look ok but theyIt don't interest my much at all.. Driving a car feels very weird. Slashing through enemies is impossible due to the stamina and needing to repair your weapon, i just fully upgraded my BBQ blade and i need to still repair weapon every now and then but as bad as when i first got it of course.. I like how most of its like FC3 like obtaining money or scavenging for items. GFX look ok but they did'nt have to over do it so much to impress others.. When you die, you loose money? is this like diablo? it's suppose to be a FPS, zombie killing type of game.. oh well, is what it is but atleast a quarter of it i liked. Expand
  37. May 8, 2013
    Its Dead Island with small improvements to combat, coop and lootings but its even buggier and glitchy than the previous game. Although it is alot harder... which I would have liked if it wasn't so unfairly hard. It uses the whole waves of enemies while you defend a area (and in some instances infinite respawning enemies, these areas that you have to run passed which you might realize andIts Dead Island with small improvements to combat, coop and lootings but its even buggier and glitchy than the previous game. Although it is alot harder... which I would have liked if it wasn't so unfairly hard. It uses the whole waves of enemies while you defend a area (and in some instances infinite respawning enemies, these areas that you have to run passed which you might realize and fight till you die). The original game had maybe 1 instance of them both, here we get 3-4 in a shorter game.

+Improvements to combat like new mods and weapons
    +Mini quests (fetch quests) are more interesting this time around rather than the blandness of what was before.
    +Everything the worked before is maintained like modding weapons and visceral combat...

-One bad new gameplay mechanic, a one-hit kill move where you drop down on a zombie from up high, or at least weaken them down enough for a single extra hit to do the trick. But I’d reserve how often I did this, because it would always leave me staring at my feet for a few seconds while getting attacked by the other zombies, helpless and paralyzed...
    -You end up getting pulled underwater when you explore with the boat, I mean seriously? Insta kills just because we want to explore. If you want to make the game linear like the previous dead island, don't block off areas with insta kills, Because we can't see it coming. Just block the areas off with debris, bouy's, nets, rocks...
    -Difficulty scales widely against you when you play on your own, dead island was criticized for throwing in characters into cutscenes when you play on your own... now theres another reason to hate coop designed game. Not playtesting solo games?
    -The game is roughly 15 hours rather than the 22 hours of the original.
    -glitching weapons and enemies through walls and ground, crashes and disappearing items, teleporting even into far away areas when your coop partner dies.. ect
    -Story is even more disjointed and slow than it was before..
  38. Apr 25, 2013
    I gave Dead Island a 1 before... it was just... a horrible game. So I played this and I think it was the same thing that happened to Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2.... small bits added but nothing major has ****ing changed... I don't need to review this... just don't buy it!
  39. Apr 27, 2013
    ZOMBIEEEEs! :D Hey guys i hope this review will help you. I love zombie games, RE 6 and all the things around. However i also liked Dead Island. I enjoy the game and stuff and was happy when i heard that another part of DI is coming out, riptide. I had big expectations, for example new story new characters and stuff. Sadly i got dissapointed. Reasons for it Same characters nothing new,ZOMBIEEEEs! :D Hey guys i hope this review will help you. I love zombie games, RE 6 and all the things around. However i also liked Dead Island. I enjoy the game and stuff and was happy when i heard that another part of DI is coming out, riptide. I had big expectations, for example new story new characters and stuff. Sadly i got dissapointed. Reasons for it Same characters nothing new, same setting again miles of jungle walking, again same car models, 1000 of other things. Okey they added a new character okey. But what i expect of zombie games is new fire arms, you cant modifiy them for example no supressed weapons would be handy, no sights. Same boring quests, find, put find, search help, bring kill. Apart from that the story is kinda boring. Its not a new game. Its a DLC but its okey nothing special i finished it and it got boring after a while but if you have nothing to play, buy it. Expand
  40. May 2, 2013
    I have been waiting a long time for this, and i didnt want to write a review too soon. I have just finished the campaign, i will not play any multiplayer at all since in the first game it felt like i was boosting other team mates all over. My favorite character is Xian Mei, i cannot like the game on any of the others, so i do understand why some of you had a hard time in this one and i doI have been waiting a long time for this, and i didnt want to write a review too soon. I have just finished the campaign, i will not play any multiplayer at all since in the first game it felt like i was boosting other team mates all over. My favorite character is Xian Mei, i cannot like the game on any of the others, so i do understand why some of you had a hard time in this one and i do understand the low ratings some of you have given. Story is simple, it follows the normal facts that would happen in case of a zombie plague. You get to do normal stuff in such case, help people that otherwise cant, or wont help themselves. You can feel the fear from given situation and the shivers from the gruesome fighting. It is disgusting, but feels justified. Totally awesome game. I recommend it totally. Do not treat it as a shooter, do not try to run past the action, just live it. I will give it a straight 10 despite the multiplayer and coop not being taken into consideration. I am treating Dead Island as a genre of its own. You cannot compare it to Left4Dead or any other game. This is the best horror zombie story telling adventure ever. The graphics and the places you visit are simply astonishing. It is like a virtual vacation to some of the most exotic places. I must say, first impression made by first Dead Island wasn't much when i first tried it.. let the game rest for quite a while then went in to finish it. After level 20 or so i started to get the hang of it, the fights were no longer boring. I presume most people that gave low rating experienced the same as me, a unsuccesful first contact. Just give it some time, you need to get used to this game, as it is one of a kind. It is the Far Cry 3 of horror games, so to say. Enjoy it! Expand
  41. May 31, 2013
    if u loved the original dead island then you will love dead island riptide.

if on the other hand you hated the original dead island then you will hate dead island riptide as well.
  42. Sep 12, 2014
    more of the same but less of the same. Riptide plays and looks pretty much like Dead Island with a few new changes/skills thrown in. fans of the previous version won't really complain about the gameplay or mechanics. however, given that it was released as a stand-alone full-priced game, content is not enough and game is too short. this should probably have been released as a DLC for halfmore of the same but less of the same. Riptide plays and looks pretty much like Dead Island with a few new changes/skills thrown in. fans of the previous version won't really complain about the gameplay or mechanics. however, given that it was released as a stand-alone full-priced game, content is not enough and game is too short. this should probably have been released as a DLC for half the retail price. Expand
  43. May 14, 2013
    If you happened to like the first Dead Island you will also enjoy Riptide as well. The game has some minor improvements, a new character, new enemies and new weapons. It is basically an expansion pack to the original game and should be evaluated as such. Nothing spectacular, but overall a good game.
  44. Apr 23, 2013
    Ok i know there are a ton of defensive fans who would say im wrong but this is my opinion.

First of all i would like to say that game play feels exactly the same from the first dad island, which in fact i do like. but it shouldn't be ignored that the developers didn't try to mix things up. The animations are still god awful like in the first game, i don't think quicksilver thought of

The animations are still god awful like in the first game, i don't think quicksilver thought of us again when we said we can see the weird arm movements in the shadows

The graphics are even more pretty and i have to run the game medium settings, so graphics dont take a toll on lower settings.

The setting of riptide looks exactly like every part of the other island in the first game but these areas are actually complimented by the graphics in terms of forest density and city textures.

The new character seems overpowered but that 'll be fixed soon or later.

they managed to get an 8 from me this time around.
  45. May 28, 2013
    If You liked the first part You will enjoy this one even more. If not, You won't probably find anything interesting. But for me this is really great game, that I have spend a lot time with. And I had lots of fun. New character is nice to start with. Plot is not really important but isn't the worst I ever encountered in games. Crafting lovely as never before and gameplay is much better thanIf You liked the first part You will enjoy this one even more. If not, You won't probably find anything interesting. But for me this is really great game, that I have spend a lot time with. And I had lots of fun. New character is nice to start with. Plot is not really important but isn't the worst I ever encountered in games. Crafting lovely as never before and gameplay is much better than it was in first DI. Play and enjoy! Expand
  46. Apr 25, 2013
    New Dead Island is pretty good game.But still now it's not up-to-date to sell a game which might be just a copy of previous.Sounds ridiculous,isn't it?But still I suppose even in this case I will be able to enjoy, though game-play is a weak point of that game
  47. Apr 23, 2013
    Fun enough if you like repeatedly bashing things. I would like to add that the sequences requiring you to travel by boat are some of the least fun moments I have ever had in a video game. i would absolutely return this and get my money back if i could.
  48. Apr 24, 2013
    Personally I do not agree with a lot of the complaints regarding this game. First off, I have no problem with any of the multiplayer features and I bought, downloaded and started playing this within 2 hours of release. 2nd, I do not agree that this is just a re-hash of the 1st one. They have made a great deal of game play enhancements to this game that have made it more like thePersonally I do not agree with a lot of the complaints regarding this game. First off, I have no problem with any of the multiplayer features and I bought, downloaded and started playing this within 2 hours of release. 2nd, I do not agree that this is just a re-hash of the 1st one. They have made a great deal of game play enhancements to this game that have made it more like the difference between Farcry 2 and 3. The weapons have been expanded and the more advanced weapons are very cool. The modifications that you can add to your weapons after collecting a blueprint are fascinating and a number of them enhance the stopping power of the weapon greatly especially after you have upgraded it to the 4th level.
    The comments about collecting from the same boxes/suitcases, etc... multiple times is irrelevant. In order to collect enough money to get the later weapons and upgrades, naturally the costs skyrocket, so they have made it easier by resetting some of the collection areas randomly (so you never know what you will be getting), but the amount of money you collect from the average drops do go up and the number of drop sites goes down dramatically.

I have been having a great time with this release, playing for nearly 12 hours nonstop. It's a lot of fun! Having some 350 games just on Steam and another 500 elsewhere not to mention the disks, I rarely play one game for such an extended period. Not sure if I would be up for a replay once it's complete as it's a very long and complicated set of quests and side missions intertwined.

I do have some negative comments, they are all not positive, few games will ever get that treatment. The primary question I have is whether the map should be bigger and the map system better adapted to see more of the area you have already explored. The current map is very detailed and if the mission takes you across the map, you can't see where you need to go nor map a route to get there. This adds to the frustration of playing, however you will eventually memorize the map and know the correct route eventually. I just think that with a better mapping interface, they could have made a bigger map and we would not have to visit the same areas so many times (areas, not exact locations, locations are visited once, but if the guy there sells weapons, you may not have the cash to buy the weapon you want and have to return once, max.
    There are issues with the sound, I believe them to be related to their generation of the torrential rains that this kind of jungle would naturally get. However, sometimes, the sound is more like static rather than pounding rain. I am sure that this could be fixed soon. I honestly do not have any bugs that are in anyway annoying other than the rain. However and as with all other games there are issues, but not something worth bashing the game over. This is a solid game and you will get many many hours of game play out of it, as much or more that the average game of this type. (can't say for sure as I haven't completed it).

I appreciated the plot, the missions and the side quests and it's very satisfying to get all the XP for completing most. Which gets to my last issue. The side quests come at you about 8 at a time and all ask for a specific item and quantity. These missions are all completed while doing the main quest, so when you eventually find yourself back at the main base turning in your quests, you can rack up 3 or so levels. I think that we could go for less of that as it is redundant, but as I said, they are all completed in the process of doing the main quest, you just have to explore, something that a lot of people these days seem to want to do less and less of and more run and gun. I, myself, have always been the kind of player that takes his time and looks in every nook before heading on and there is a distinct advantage here should you enjoy that play style.

Finally, they have enhanced the skill tree for this game. It is much more detailed and the 3 vines are intertwined quite well so as to prevent you from putting all your skill in one tree which gives you the opportunity to experience some of the abilities that you may not start spending SP's until late in the game.

Finally, Driving is very well done, very smooth, it is very hectic once you get in a boat as the water is teeming with zombies floating who wake up when they hear your boat, but you can easily plow through them with accelerate and easily rack up XP if you spend the appropriate amount of time to learn how to steer and accelerate fluid. Definitely not any sort of negative or reason for taking away a star(s) for sure.

Also, it is very easy to pick up a single player mission and turn it into a coop mission when you get to the boss or mass zombie fights, no issues with that and I think it was done seamlessly.
  49. Apr 25, 2013
    Great game, but simply not worth it feels more like a DLC, the new options of the game are very limited, mostly of them being older bugs from the previous game fixed/some minor bonuses+the new dungeons that you can go in/world bosses.The replayability feels like a hangover from the game and all the closed spaces make me don't want to explore the areas with off-quests.
    They should have
    They should have kept some of the more open-areas from the first game.....and add more exiting stuff
    In a word,mediocre...
  50. Apr 25, 2013
    Dead Island Riptide. This game has so many bugs I can't even fit here in this text bar. The voice acting was great on some characters, but not everyone. And why oh why this game is a sequel and not a DLC? There is nothing new added to the game except for boats and a few new zombie types. And why does money even exist in this game? Its a zombie apocalypse, a zombie survival game! Why doesDead Island Riptide. This game has so many bugs I can't even fit here in this text bar. The voice acting was great on some characters, but not everyone. And why oh why this game is a sequel and not a DLC? There is nothing new added to the game except for boats and a few new zombie types. And why does money even exist in this game? Its a zombie apocalypse, a zombie survival game! Why does it cost 2000$ just to fix a baseball bat? If you hated the original game, you will hate this one too. Expand
  51. Apr 25, 2013
    Dead Island Riptide is exactly how a zombie killing game should be. The story line makes sense, and is very interesting. The one major problem that it fixed from the original is the co op problem. It was impossible to beat the game without the help of a friend in the original, and that is not so the case in Riptide. What made me rate this game a nine is that some of the missions in theDead Island Riptide is exactly how a zombie killing game should be. The story line makes sense, and is very interesting. The one major problem that it fixed from the original is the co op problem. It was impossible to beat the game without the help of a friend in the original, and that is not so the case in Riptide. What made me rate this game a nine is that some of the missions in the game remind me of some in the original. For example, you have to get fill up a can of gas again. I'm also not a big fan of the chrome engine, but I won't let that affect the score. A really cool feature I enjoy is the import character feature. Expand
  52. Apr 26, 2013
    If your looking for a great in-depth story narrative, then this is most certainly NOT your game. This is very much like Dead Island 1 with hardly any changes other than the obvious cross-hair change, zombie types and basically- Weapons. It practically plays the same as its predecessor. But If you love killing zombies with a variety of weapons Then this is your game!
  53. Apr 27, 2013
    Dead Island: Riptide offers almost the exact same experience as the previous Dead Island. If you loved the first dead island, this game will offer the same zombie slaying fun that the last game had. However, if you hated the first dead island, stay well away from this title. When i say that Dead Island: Riptide has the exact same game play as the first Dead Island, i mean the EXACT same.Dead Island: Riptide offers almost the exact same experience as the previous Dead Island. If you loved the first dead island, this game will offer the same zombie slaying fun that the last game had. However, if you hated the first dead island, stay well away from this title. When i say that Dead Island: Riptide has the exact same game play as the first Dead Island, i mean the EXACT same. There have not been any graphical improvements to the game over the first one, all of the old characters remain as playable characters (with the exception of a new character with a ridiculously fun, but overpowered running kick move), and I have only run across one new type of zombie so far in a few hours of game play. I have to admit, there seems to be a great variety of weapons that were not in the first game (my favorite is the staff that you wield like a bad-ass, zombie slaying Darth Maul). Considering that most new games have a starting price between $50-$60 dollars, i'd say that Dead Island: Riptide is a great buy at the reduced price of $39.99 on steam considering the lack of new material. Expand
  54. Apr 27, 2013
    Dead Island Riptide is the follow-up of the decent game Dead Island. It's an open world first person shooter/beat em up with RPG elements and full 4 co-op playable campaign. Personally, if you liked Dead Island, simply put Dead Island Riptide is 5 times better! The game has improved gameplay, improved zombie danger levels (i get killed SO many times if i'm uncareful now, or if i'mDead Island Riptide is the follow-up of the decent game Dead Island. It's an open world first person shooter/beat em up with RPG elements and full 4 co-op playable campaign. Personally, if you liked Dead Island, simply put Dead Island Riptide is 5 times better! The game has improved gameplay, improved zombie danger levels (i get killed SO many times if i'm uncareful now, or if i'm swarmed...), they have added so many more weapons and mods, etc...

The only points of critic i have are the small time bugs i've encountered, like zombies running through barrels or crates instead of pathing around it, but nothing has crashed or frozen. I haven't found big gamebreaking bugs yet or bugs so bad i started hated playing the game...

Another point of critic is the somewhat half-assed bad start of the story to the point where i just skipped it and wanted to hit some zombies in the face with my new BBQ knife. You wash up on the shore, some chick runs to you yelling some crap and i was there like: "who the f* are you now?!"

Overal, great zombie slasher game, i'm loving it so far i got 13 hours in about 2 days already so if you have 40 euro's/dollars spare anyway, buy it until Metro Last Light or Company of Heroes 2 come out (because by that time you'll have finished Dead Island Riptide)

Support the devs!!!
  55. Apr 27, 2013
    Good for anger management

Just like the first one, you slay the living out of zombies. Pretty graphics. Even tho it's almost the same game as the first one, still makes it a good game
  56. Apr 27, 2013
    Although I didn't play the first game. This got to be the best zombie game I played. The story is good, same with the mechanics. I had no problem with the co-op. But the game gets a bit repetitive when you play the game for a long space of time
  57. Apr 27, 2013
    I will absolutely ignore all release day bugs, this is normal for a new game and I understand how it just needs to get patched out in a few weeks.

My problem is with the amount of content in this game. The game was released as a full game for $40, but at best it should only be worth $10 and as a DLC. That's at best. The mechanics of the game are exactly the same as the original game (a game I absolutely love) which is no problem for me, I don't mind at all the hack and slash nature of the game, but the total content for quests, area, and objects in riptide amounts to LESS than the beach map part (the first part) in the original game. For people who don't know what I'm talking about, they are charging the same amount to buy riptide as the original game, but riptide only has 1/6 the story, area, and object content as the original game.

This game should have been an expansion for 1/10th the price, that's the short story.
  58. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun, especially when playing with friends. Even playing solo, the combat is the highlight and the source of most of my enjoyment. This is basically the same game as before, so if you liked that, you will like this. I bought this on release so I could play with friends and not have to catch up or hold them back by joining in later on. I do not regret this purchaseThis game is a lot of fun, especially when playing with friends. Even playing solo, the combat is the highlight and the source of most of my enjoyment. This is basically the same game as before, so if you liked that, you will like this. I bought this on release so I could play with friends and not have to catch up or hold them back by joining in later on. I do not regret this purchase one bit. I've sunk 20 hours into this game in the first week and can't wait to play more.

If you are looking for a deep story experience or the latest and greatest in game mechanics and design, this will not do much for you. If you want a game that is a lot of fun, can be played w/ friends, and involves zombies, do not pass up on this game.

If you're really on the fence about this then just wait a few weeks as the price will drop. The last game sold millions of copies and was not a best in class product, so, at least Deep Silver knows how to draw you in for the fun.
  59. Apr 28, 2013
    Is Riptide the same game as dead island? Basically yes. Has it been refreshed? Yes. It is still fun to play? Yes. Is it worth $40? Maybe. If charging $40 dollars for this game, helps fund an all new future Dead Island, then I'm all for it. This game deserves better review numbers then it's getting. Some people are just pissed off that riptide feels like a $40 dollar expansion pack. If youIs Riptide the same game as dead island? Basically yes. Has it been refreshed? Yes. It is still fun to play? Yes. Is it worth $40? Maybe. If charging $40 dollars for this game, helps fund an all new future Dead Island, then I'm all for it. This game deserves better review numbers then it's getting. Some people are just pissed off that riptide feels like a $40 dollar expansion pack. If you enjoyed the first one, you should enjoy this one. Some bugs have been fixed, some have not, some probably can't be. As far as Co-Op play complaints, I haven't tried it yet. I like to beat games on my own, get a feel for them and ace the controls before I play multi-player. As I said before, I do hope my $40 purchase is funding an all NEW dead island hopefully for this time next year or sooner. Expand
  60. Apr 29, 2013
    DIfferent island, same game. If you never played the original go for it.
    For everyone else who played the original, nothing new. I rated it 8
    because I see it like a new game for new players and the original
    was one of the best well done games.
  61. May 1, 2013
    To the point. I love it. Is it for everyone? No. If you enjoyed the first game you will love riptide. Co-op is still the same great drop in drop out fun. Over-all it is an 8 because of the hiccups. I would give it a 11! for how much fun my friends and I have had.

Riptide is by no means perfection. it has glitches and flaws. It also has TONS of fun to be had. Loads of weapons, tons of mods, gobs of action, varied scenery, lots of missions etc...
    The added weapon proficiency (think borderlands 1) are great fun.
  62. May 3, 2013
    First of all this is an expansion pack not a sequel. The only thing you get is a new campaign with a few new enemies and a new (useless) character everything else is pretty much the same. Same gameplay mechanic, same graphic and also the same bugs and problems (they could of at least fixed the autoequip problem so I don't have to do it myself). I liked the game but not so much as the firstFirst of all this is an expansion pack not a sequel. The only thing you get is a new campaign with a few new enemies and a new (useless) character everything else is pretty much the same. Same gameplay mechanic, same graphic and also the same bugs and problems (they could of at least fixed the autoequip problem so I don't have to do it myself). I liked the game but not so much as the first game since the locations are a bit boring. Expand
  63. May 3, 2013
    Dead Island Riptide is a great roll playing zombie game with best cooperation mode i´ve ever seen!
    The battles make fun, the quest are cool, their are cars and crazy weapons like nail pistols and you can trow knives into a zombie´s body and take it out when you get close to that zombie for throwing it again!!!
    Warning: Riptide is like the first Dead Island with another island! It´s not
    Warning: Riptide is like the first Dead Island with another island! It´s not good to buy it if you have the first one!!!
  64. May 3, 2013
    I consider this as a good game. There are lots of new kinds of zombies and weapons. Although, the graphics are not such good ones, and the story from the first one is far better. The amount of "food medicines" in the game which cannot be carried decreased, and the amount of medic kits found for free in the map increased, meaning the game became easier. A good game, but could be far better.
  65. May 4, 2013
    Generic story and short, copy of first game, pathetic animations, poor design, excessive price.

Maybe use it 30 min to kill some zombies, but that's all.
  66. May 18, 2013
    New story, new zombies, new ways to explore the Zombie lands. Most of the reviews that are critical I wonder if they played the game as it is so much better than many of the new big ticket games out. This game does have new Zombie types! It is a polished piece of work with the best zombie physics engine going. rich textures, great sound, amazing detail (water that gets cloudy the deeperNew story, new zombies, new ways to explore the Zombie lands. Most of the reviews that are critical I wonder if they played the game as it is so much better than many of the new big ticket games out. This game does have new Zombie types! It is a polished piece of work with the best zombie physics engine going. rich textures, great sound, amazing detail (water that gets cloudy the deeper you look). A skill system that shows results immediately. Variable skill zombies, a weapon modification system, repeating quests and re-spawning zombies in public zones to always keep you on your toes. This game can scare the life out of you if you let it.

By far the best Zombie adventure I have played yet. There are not many games that can give you that trapped feeling when the zombies come. This game is a new use of an awesome engine that is a natural extension of the original Dead Island.
  67. May 26, 2013
    Dead Island Riptide is just like the first game, which is not bad. But it had so much potential, which was'nt used. It still is a pretty good game. It's funny and its story is so much better than the first game. It still has its bugs and sometimes it's unplayable. But when it gets to multiplayer-mode it is awesome.
  68. May 21, 2013
    This follow-up to the series doesn't meet what I was expecting. Loved the first one, Dead Island. this game however is frustrating and has some stupid moments that go beyond trying to be a challenge. When your walking along and get jumped from all directions suddenly by groups of half a dozen zombies that with your stamina and health, you have no chance to fight so you just sit there andThis follow-up to the series doesn't meet what I was expecting. Loved the first one, Dead Island. this game however is frustrating and has some stupid moments that go beyond trying to be a challenge. When your walking along and get jumped from all directions suddenly by groups of half a dozen zombies that with your stamina and health, you have no chance to fight so you just sit there and wait to die so you can reload. that's not a game, that's a joke by the programmers who are trying to loose their client base :D. Another thing that drives me nuts is what seems to be a lack of physics for water on zombie movement, they run faster in the water than I do on dry land? Overall I am disappointed in the game and if given the chance I would have waited for the price to drop by half before buying. Expand
  69. Sep 29, 2013
    Possibly one of the most boring games of 2013 this game becomes extremely repetitive and the way zombies re spawn is just one of the many many small things that make this a game to avoid.
    With one of the most dullest storylines in recent memory clunky weapons, glitchy multiplayer annoying sound effects, almost no vehicles to drive my recommendation is to skip this one
  70. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the original Dead Island, and I love Riptide. Having a new character to play, new infected to kill, they also changed up the story a bit and some of the stuff you can do.
    I've had no issue playing with friends as I have seen people complain.
    It's a continuation to the first game, kind of like the F.E.A.R. series, L4D L4D2, Serious Sam, etc. So of course it's going to have a lot of the same game mechanics, that's just a petty excuse to not like a game.
    It is a lot like Dead Island, but it does have a lot more stuff to it. Like new character, new (some fun) weapons, more infected, and for example another means of travel is a boat. I have personally had no issues with the game except some minor glitches like the first game had. It's just a bit dull when you're not playing with other people.
  71. Jun 9, 2013
    As someone who loved the gore and head severing the dead island featured, i was looking for more of the same. However, the movement in this game is pretty awful, as are the spawning bugs. But as I've told my friends, if you're just looking for a good time, and not a good story (which this lacks) then go ahead and get this game. Its also fun in co-op, but connections are buggy. I thinkAs someone who loved the gore and head severing the dead island featured, i was looking for more of the same. However, the movement in this game is pretty awful, as are the spawning bugs. But as I've told my friends, if you're just looking for a good time, and not a good story (which this lacks) then go ahead and get this game. Its also fun in co-op, but connections are buggy. I think more people just need to give the game a chance. Poor voice acting and NPC's as well. Expand
  72. Jun 16, 2013
    Dead Island: Riptide is my favorite game in 2013.Killing zombies was my favorite part, i'm never getting tired of it.I enjoyed the story very much, graphics are nice.Some people said it has many bugs, but i didn't experienced not even a one bug.It has only a one bad thing suddenly changing weather.The campaign is long enough (about 16 hours).This game is totally worth 43.53 dollars onDead Island: Riptide is my favorite game in 2013.Killing zombies was my favorite part, i'm never getting tired of it.I enjoyed the story very much, graphics are nice.Some people said it has many bugs, but i didn't experienced not even a one bug.It has only a one bad thing suddenly changing weather.The campaign is long enough (about 16 hours).This game is totally worth 43.53 dollars on Amazon.

Have fun playing this!
  73. Jun 26, 2013
    I loved the original DI. It was an innovative approach to the zombie genre which played a bit like Far Cry. This is not that. To start, Dead Island Riptide is full of bugs. Some are so bad they'll cause the game to crash. Another gripe is this entry plays more like a DLC than an actual sequel. As a fan of the original, I still say AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS.
  74. Jul 6, 2013
    If you are looking for an advancement and progression on what made the original game great, you'll be severely disappointed. This game is pretty much exactly the same as the original. They've rinsed and repeated the storyline and most of the weapons, and even some building models and textures. I'm sure that this laziness won't be as acceptable in a third game, and Deep Silver should beIf you are looking for an advancement and progression on what made the original game great, you'll be severely disappointed. This game is pretty much exactly the same as the original. They've rinsed and repeated the storyline and most of the weapons, and even some building models and textures. I'm sure that this laziness won't be as acceptable in a third game, and Deep Silver should be well aware of that. They are very lucky that the original was such a good game, or else the score would've been a lot lower. Expand
  75. Jul 9, 2013
    Its a carbon copy lol

Its a carbon copy lol

That's not even partially true. It has is a number of new weapon mods. It has new zombie types (drowner, screamer, grenadier, mutated scientist, and wrestler generally), and if you count the variations (frenzied walkers, drugged infected, etc.) there are quite a few more, including "boss" types that are far tougher. There are several new weapons, with blades, blunt, and guns, including scoped rifles. A new class of stackable throwing knives has been added. It has a new vehicle type, the boat. There is an additional character to play with an entirely new skill tree. New explosives include several types of mines that can be placed on the ground to defend an area.

New elements include base/hub defence, where you have to stay alive and defeat groups of zombies that are attacking. Also, the other main characters are present and you are able to interact with them, and they assist in the defense missions. You can use fences to close off approach routes, and in some case you can bring stationary heavy guns from other locations to defend the area. You are able to upgrade the members of your team, improving the weapons they possess or the items they are able to sell you. Your group of survivors moves from base to base, so they are not stuck in one place the entire game. Dead Zones, like mini-dungeons, exist, where buildings have been closed up and you can venture in if you want to... there are rare craftplans and craftparts that can be found in them that enable you to do the final upgrades for the team members, but you are not forced to enter into them. A new quest mechanic exists, where instead of the minimap leading you directly to the quest target, it takes you to an area, and you need to search around in that area to find what you are looking for. For co-op, there is a new rage mechanic where you can sacrifice your own rage and instead get a group benefit for 30-60 seconds.

It is shorter, than dead island I would say that if you actually do the quests and explore everything, it is about 65% as big. If you only do the main sequence questline, then it is maybe 50%. One of the complaints I have seen is that it is a lot like the original... it is a continuation of the storyline, of course it is a lot like the original. But it is not simply more of the same, and perhaps these people who are complaining after only playing a few hours just never got far enough to see the majority of it. If you did not like Dead Island, you are unlikely to enjoy Riptide. If you did like it, this is far more than a DLC. allso its moddable to customize to your own game preferance, and mods some very good mods made by modders all ready available to download just do a simple google search
  76. Jul 30, 2013
    i really loved the first one!! but this is just garbage!! this is just a ripoff... story is waaay to short compared to dead island 1 and the bugs man like that autosave problem with the weapons chararcter lvl...
    that took way to long to get fixed... there is only 1 thing i like in riptide. the new character
  77. Aug 2, 2013
    Techland ponownie robi dwie gry na raz, i ponownie jedna z nich musi na tym ucierpieć. W tym wypadku to nie Call of Juarez, a Dead Island. Bardzo chciałbym w twarz spytać się twórców-CO TO JEST? Naprawdę? Po tak dobrej jedynce dajecie nam coś takiego? Graficznie twórcy nie zrobili DOSŁOWNIE niczego. Smutne jest to że od 1 minęły 3 lata, więc można by poprawić trochę silnik. Fabuła jestTechland ponownie robi dwie gry na raz, i ponownie jedna z nich musi na tym ucierpieć. W tym wypadku to nie Call of Juarez, a Dead Island. Bardzo chciałbym w twarz spytać się twórców-CO TO JEST? Naprawdę? Po tak dobrej jedynce dajecie nam coś takiego? Graficznie twórcy nie zrobili DOSŁOWNIE niczego. Smutne jest to że od 1 minęły 3 lata, więc można by poprawić trochę silnik. Fabuła jest podobna co w pierwowzorze. Uratować siebie, uratować innych. Powiem szczerze, może w jedynce mogłem jakoś wciągnąć się w klimat, ale to co tutaj jest to kompletna nuda. Twórcy nie dodali do rozgrywki prawie nic. Co prawda pojawia się obrona punktów, ale została tak głupio zrobiona że nawet nie pasuje w ogólnie do rozgrywki Dead Island. Do tego twórcy każą nam zapierniczać po całej mapie, trochę piechotą, trochę autem, trochę łodzią, tak żebyśmy stracili godzinie żeby tylko dojść do jakieś głupiego dodatkowego questa, bez którego mamy o wiele mniej XP, bez czego jest o wiele ciężej. Oczywiście da się w to jeszcze grać, jeżeli gra się w to ze znajomymi. Smutne to jest, że znajomi nie będą nawet chcieli w to grać. Moja ocena jest taka wysoka, tylko przez sam system walki i inne plusy poprzedniego DS. Moja ocena 5/10 Expand
  78. Sep 8, 2013
    It needed more sub quests, npc perk leveling and weapon modifications, the group battles were a really nice touch but the drowners were just such a bad call
  79. Sep 10, 2013
    Only...ONLY GET THIS GAME IF YOU JUST LIKE KILLING ZOMBIES.
    Only...ONLY GET THIS GAME IF YOU JUST LIKE KILLING ZOMBIES.
    The story is uninteresting,the voice acting is horrendous, you don't bond with any of the characters and not to mention that they have WEIRD FACES(Some of them).The only great aspect would be the awesome environment,graphics and also the fact that you can KILL ZOMBIES HOW EVER YOU LIKE.Ram them with a car?Sure! Burn them? Sure! Shoot? Sure! Chop? Sure! Electrocute? Sure!. Get it only for the combat gameplay,oh and play it with a friend to maximize the fun of it,playing it alone would result in you getting bored of it easily~
  80. Sep 17, 2013
    Not as good as the original, but still has some good zombie slaying fun, weapon specials are as fun as ever, missions are slightly harder this time around as there is slightly less hand holding. A good game, good re playability.
  81. Sep 28, 2013
    I played Dead Island. Didn't finish it. Nothing creative in this game in the way of story telling, design, game play etc.. The only reason it sales is because of zombies. This game is so frustrating and buggy I created a metacritic account. From crashing windows explorer to just crashes in general. To Game bugs that kill you over and over and over......

If you love Dead Island, It's

If you love Dead Island, It's because you don't know any better.
  82. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dead Island: Riptide isn´t bring us anything new, but when you love the original game, probably you love this game too. It is not a master piece, but you can enjoy for hours. Expand
  83. Sep 30, 2013
    Get Riptide they said, It will fix all the stuff from the first one they said, theres no way they'll make the same mistakes they did in the first one they said. Well 2 hours in with no drive to play it any more I can honestly say its TRASSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  84. Oct 13, 2013
    A good basic idea but repetitive missions and numerous bugs make this game boring and repetitive. They could be better exploited the ideas of the first, but it seems that in this sequel there has been no commitment necessary.
  85. Nov 7, 2013
    This game was a lot of fun to play, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Was looking for something to follow Left 4 Dead2, this wasn't it because you have no companions except for cutscenes. But still a good game.
  86. Nov 29, 2013
    Don't believe the negative reviews, this game is AWESOME. of course, i am biased because I am a huge fan of the original Dead Island. I love the gameplay, the characters, the missions, and grabbing loot a long the way. It's always fun to grab ten dollars off a zombie as they fly in the air from one of your machete slices. That's always epic. My brother and I played this co-op and completedDon't believe the negative reviews, this game is AWESOME. of course, i am biased because I am a huge fan of the original Dead Island. I love the gameplay, the characters, the missions, and grabbing loot a long the way. It's always fun to grab ten dollars off a zombie as they fly in the air from one of your machete slices. That's always epic. My brother and I played this co-op and completed it twice, and I played two times solo and completed with all four characters. It's so much fun. He likes the second one better, but I like the first better. This one is great, but it's too short, and there are too few missions. It's rather easy compared to the long and complicated first game. Which went on forever. But this game there is beautiful scenery, and an interesting story. my FAVORITE part is your ability to fight missions as a team, so with all the characters, plus others. Best aspect of this whole game. I hope they keep coming out with more dead islands, becuase I will keep buying them. Expand
  87. Jan 3, 2014
    Alright so here is the way I see it. If your looking for good graphics or a great stand alone game then you should just turn around and go back to were you came. If your looking for a game with great game play and an in depth, smooth, glitch free story line; then this game isn't for you. If your looking for a game, however, that will bring you hours upon hours of enjoyment, and plenty ofAlright so here is the way I see it. If your looking for good graphics or a great stand alone game then you should just turn around and go back to were you came. If your looking for a game with great game play and an in depth, smooth, glitch free story line; then this game isn't for you. If your looking for a game, however, that will bring you hours upon hours of enjoyment, and plenty of laughter at the downright absurd glitches that you can share, and then become an "inside joke" with friends. Then you have certainly found a game for you. Lets just say if you don't have any friends, then don't get this game. Expand
  88. Jan 24, 2014
    While the original Dead Island was a solid game it felt a bit rushed towards the end. Riptide on the other hand is rushed from the get go. It's shocking how little effort went into making of Riptide.

Throughout the game you will be constantly reminded what an half-ass job they did. Just the sheer amount of reused assets and locations is enough to make you disoriented and question yourself about whether or not you've already been somewhere.

The inclusion of many loading zones and ladders artificially prolong the game. Also, the enemies re-spawn when you load a zone, so most of the time you have to kill the same mob twice, which takes time but serves no real purpose.

There is an overabundance of stuff to be had and the game fails to prove a challenge at any point in time.

In conclusion, it is my opinion that this games is not worth your money or time. If you are looking for a similar game that you can play with your friends cooperatively, get the original Dead island and you will have a much better time with it.
  89. Jan 29, 2014
    I played Dead island a few times , before Riptide. I will compare them.

Compared to Dead island, riptide has: - less better level design. The dead zones are just small chambers with 1 unique zombie inside. In Dead Island it was quiet a large internal area that you could explore. Playing inside gives a more claustrophobic feeling. The internal areas did even have their own quests. -
    I played Dead island a few times , before Riptide. I will compare them.

Compared to Dead island, riptide has:
    claustrophobic feeling. The internal areas did even have their own quests.
    - much lower difficulty. Riptide is too easy compared to the first part.
    - Riptide you can heal as much as you have healing kits, but in the first part, the kits are much harder to
    get by.
    - a better gun implementation. That's good for Puna players. Or others chars who want to experiment
    with guns
    - Guns are too powerful later in Riptide. One good auto rifle will own them all.
  90. Feb 28, 2014
    Now, if you've seen my xbox 360 dead island review, you'd know I liked the original Dead Island. However, unlike Dead Island, I went into this game expecting a good game like the first with some improvements. This game only has one improvement: John, the new character. The rest of the game is worse. The graphics in the first level are bad, and the rest of the game is ok graphics. TheNow, if you've seen my xbox 360 dead island review, you'd know I liked the original Dead Island. However, unlike Dead Island, I went into this game expecting a good game like the first with some improvements. This game only has one improvement: John, the new character. The rest of the game is worse. The graphics in the first level are bad, and the rest of the game is ok graphics. The controls (on pc at least) were bad. The amount of lag I received playing online, was bad. The storyline was ok. The gameplay was slower than Dead Island. And don't expect a good ending for it either. Expand
  91. Jun 21, 2014
    Without playing the original Dead Island, perhaps my review is not substantiated enough. I enjoyed playing it, and it did end up leaving me wanting more. So in my book....thats a winner.
  92. Jun 22, 2014
    This game was semi-disappointing since Deep Silver did not fix any of the existing problems from the first game, and even threw in a few more bugs. On paper, the game looks like it has plenty of improvements, and even a new character to play with, but they fall short with repetitive loss of sound, heavy spawn glitches, and a lack of original dialog from the voice actors that makes the gameThis game was semi-disappointing since Deep Silver did not fix any of the existing problems from the first game, and even threw in a few more bugs. On paper, the game looks like it has plenty of improvements, and even a new character to play with, but they fall short with repetitive loss of sound, heavy spawn glitches, and a lack of original dialog from the voice actors that makes the game play out like a "WWE ##" game by THQ with **** acting and wrestlers just told to say some lines and leave so they could splice them into the game with a grapefruit spoon and rusty barbed wire. I did enjoy that they added siege functions and that the guns are now actually FUNCTIONAL, unlike the first one. This game is worth it for a few nights of fun if you are only paying $14 bucks or less. Expand
  93. Jun 30, 2014
    If you liked Dead Island, this is for you. I wouldn't recommend a full price buy, but for 15 dollars or less is perfect
    This game an improve version of Dead island, with another character, better graphics, less bugs, more weapons and some new features
    If you like the old one and wanted to play more, this is your game to play
  94. Aug 15, 2014
    Not a bad game, although it does have a lot of bugs leftover. The game is fun in the first 10 hours, then it gets repetitive because of 2 reasons.

One is that enemies will spawn at the exact spawn points whenever you are far away from the area for several steps, so you end up fighting them with the same strategy used before. Second reason is that the game is built on the base of

Second reason is that the game is built on the base of finding supplies, so all nature of quests and player's exploration all points to finding better loot or required materials.

So, the flows end up like this: explore and kill zombies, loot for items (button F mashing), backtrack and fight the enemies again, return to the camp to drop loot or hand in quest, repair items, rinse and repeat.

This becomes boring when you keep on doing that throughout the course of game.
  95. Aug 30, 2014
    It doesn't even deserve a 1.I'm hardcore fan of the first game.But because I couldn't even play riptide cause of tearings, poor optimization I'm not gonna rate it more than 0.
  96. Nov 3, 2014
    It is the same Dead Island original game with new maps , some fixed bugs and slightly improved mechanics. Therefore it deserves the same score as the original (more or less).
    Don't trust the haters. If you loved Dead Island, you'll definitely love this one too. It should've come out as a expansion, though.
  97. May 8, 2013

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Dead Island Riptide walks the same path as its predecessor. Another tropical island filled with boring mission design and loads of filler time in the form of traveling between different locations. And like last time it is still quite entertaining. At least with a couple of friends.
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    An attempt to remake the pretty-looking shambler - with no effort to improve the balance of game systems or iron out bugs. [July 2013, p.80]
  3. Jun 19, 2013
    Two years ago, I criticized the original Dead Island for its storyline that was nonsensical even by the usually low standards of the ‘zombie’ genre. Well, Riptide plunges even deeper. And don’t even dream of exploring the game’s open world – there is absolutely nothing worth your time.