5.8

1. May 31, 2013
    if u loved the original dead island then you will love dead island riptide.

if on the other hand you hated the original dead island then you will hate dead island riptide as well.
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    The story is nice just as it was in the first one so that boosted the rating. And fixing things like appropriate zombie levels to scale with characters is nice. However...Meh... Same game (and bugs somehow). There is nothing new or amazing about this. It really is just the next chapter to a story without any other twists or surprises. When considering getting this game think to yourself, "would I read the second book to this series"? Expand
  3. Apr 24, 2013
    Personally I do not agree with a lot of the complaints regarding this game. First off, I have no problem with any of the multiplayer features and I bought, downloaded and started playing this within 2 hours of release. 2nd, I do not agree that this is just a re-hash of the 1st one. They have made a great deal of game play enhancements to this game that have made it more like the difference between Farcry 2 and 3. The weapons have been expanded and the more advanced weapons are very cool. The modifications that you can add to your weapons after collecting a blueprint are fascinating and a number of them enhance the stopping power of the weapon greatly especially after you have upgraded it to the 4th level.
    The comments about collecting from the same boxes/suitcases, etc... multiple times is irrelevant. In order to collect enough money to get the later weapons and upgrades, naturally the costs skyrocket, so they have made it easier by resetting some of the collection areas randomly (so you never know what you will be getting), but the amount of money you collect from the average drops do go up and the number of drop sites goes down dramatically.

I have been having a great time with this release, playing for nearly 12 hours nonstop. It's a lot of fun! Having some 350 games just on Steam and another 500 elsewhere not to mention the disks, I rarely play one game for such an extended period. Not sure if I would be up for a replay once it's complete as it's a very long and complicated set of quests and side missions intertwined.

I do have some negative comments, they are all not positive, few games will ever get that treatment. The primary question I have is whether the map should be bigger and the map system better adapted to see more of the area you have already explored. The current map is very detailed and if the mission takes you across the map, you can't see where you need to go nor map a route to get there. This adds to the frustration of playing, however you will eventually memorize the map and know the correct route eventually. I just think that with a better mapping interface, they could have made a bigger map and we would not have to visit the same areas so many times (areas, not exact locations, locations are visited once, but if the guy there sells weapons, you may not have the cash to buy the weapon you want and have to return once, max.
    There are issues with the sound, I believe them to be related to their generation of the torrential rains that this kind of jungle would naturally get. However, sometimes, the sound is more like static rather than pounding rain. I am sure that this could be fixed soon. I honestly do not have any bugs that are in anyway annoying other than the rain. However and as with all other games there are issues, but not something worth bashing the game over. This is a solid game and you will get many many hours of game play out of it, as much or more that the average game of this type. (can't say for sure as I haven't completed it).

I appreciated the plot, the missions and the side quests and it's very satisfying to get all the XP for completing most. Which gets to my last issue. The side quests come at you about 8 at a time and all ask for a specific item and quantity. These missions are all completed while doing the main quest, so when you eventually find yourself back at the main base turning in your quests, you can rack up 3 or so levels. I think that we could go for less of that as it is redundant, but as I said, they are all completed in the process of doing the main quest, you just have to explore, something that a lot of people these days seem to want to do less and less of and more run and gun. I, myself, have always been the kind of player that takes his time and looks in every nook before heading on and there is a distinct advantage here should you enjoy that play style.

Finally, they have enhanced the skill tree for this game. It is much more detailed and the 3 vines are intertwined quite well so as to prevent you from putting all your skill in one tree which gives you the opportunity to experience some of the abilities that you may not start spending SP's until late in the game.

Finally, Driving is very well done, very smooth, it is very hectic once you get in a boat as the water is teeming with zombies floating who wake up when they hear your boat, but you can easily plow through them with accelerate and easily rack up XP if you spend the appropriate amount of time to learn how to steer and accelerate fluid. Definitely not any sort of negative or reason for taking away a star(s) for sure.

Also, it is very easy to pick up a single player mission and turn it into a coop mission when you get to the boss or mass zombie fights, no issues with that and I think it was done seamlessly.
  4. Apr 23, 2013
    This game, should be great. But currently, the reason people wanted to play this game is BROKEN. Co-Op doesn't work, Day 1, you can't even play with your friends. Whole reason 90% people want to play this game, with your friends! You send it out BROKEN? Add in the massive feedback sound for people with 7.1/USB Headsets. Same ISSUE AS IN GAME 1.

Your suppose to learn from your
    mistakes, not repeat them & make them worse then before. So I currently, this review is going be very low, because I am tired of companies giving us garbage & expecting us to praise them. Fix your problems, maybe you might see happy customer base, not to mention you should do more to for them, since you screwed them over right off the bat. Expand
  5. Apr 27, 2013
    I will absolutely ignore all release day bugs, this is normal for a new game and I understand how it just needs to get patched out in a few weeks.

My problem is with the amount of content in this game. The game was released as a full game for $40, but at best it should only be worth $10 and as a DLC. That's at best. The mechanics of the game are exactly the same as the original game (a
    game I absolutely love) which is no problem for me, I don't mind at all the hack and slash nature of the game, but the total content for quests, area, and objects in riptide amounts to LESS than the beach map part (the first part) in the original game. For people who don't know what I'm talking about, they are charging the same amount to buy riptide as the original game, but riptide only has 1/6 the story, area, and object content as the original game.

This game should have been an expansion for 1/10th the price, that's the short story.
  6. Apr 25, 2013
    Dead Island Riptide. This game has so many bugs I can't even fit here in this text bar. The voice acting was great on some characters, but not everyone. And why oh why this game is a sequel and not a DLC? There is nothing new added to the game except for boats and a few new zombie types. And why does money even exist in this game? Its a zombie apocalypse, a zombie survival game! Why does it cost 2000$ just to fix a baseball bat? If you hated the original game, you will hate this one too. Expand
  7. Apr 28, 2013
    Is Riptide the same game as dead island? Basically yes. Has it been refreshed? Yes. It is still fun to play? Yes. Is it worth $40? Maybe. If charging $40 dollars for this game, helps fund an all new future Dead Island, then I'm all for it. This game deserves better review numbers then it's getting. Some people are just pissed off that riptide feels like a $40 dollar expansion pack. If you enjoyed the first one, you should enjoy this one. Some bugs have been fixed, some have not, some probably can't be. As far as Co-Op play complaints, I haven't tried it yet. I like to beat games on my own, get a feel for them and ace the controls before I play multi-player. As I said before, I do hope my $40 purchase is funding an all NEW dead island hopefully for this time next year or sooner. Collapse
  8. Apr 25, 2013
    I gave Dead Island a 1 before... it was just... a horrible game. So I played this and I think it was the same thing that happened to Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2.... small bits added but nothing major has ****ing changed... I don't need to review this... just don't buy it!
  9. Apr 27, 2013
    ZOMBIEEEEs! :D Hey guys i hope this review will help you. I love zombie games, RE 6 and all the things around. However i also liked Dead Island. I enjoy the game and stuff and was happy when i heard that another part of DI is coming out, riptide. I had big expectations, for example new story new characters and stuff. Sadly i got dissapointed. Reasons for it Same characters nothing new, same setting again miles of jungle walking, again same car models, 1000 of other things. Okey they added a new character okey. But what i expect of zombie games is new fire arms, you cant modifiy them for example no supressed weapons would be handy, no sights. Same boring quests, find, put find, search help, bring kill. Apart from that the story is kinda boring. Its not a new game. Its a DLC but its okey nothing special i finished it and it got boring after a while but if you have nothing to play, buy it. Expand
  10. Apr 25, 2013
    New Dead Island is pretty good game.But still now it's not up-to-date to sell a game which might be just a copy of previous.Sounds ridiculous,isn't it?But still I suppose even in this case I will be able to enjoy, though game-play is a weak point of that game
  11. Apr 26, 2013
    If your looking for a great in-depth story narrative, then this is most certainly NOT your game. This is very much like Dead Island 1 with hardly any changes other than the obvious cross-hair change, zombie types and basically- Weapons. It practically plays the same as its predecessor. But If you love killing zombies with a variety of weapons Then this is your game!
  12. May 21, 2013
    This follow-up to the series doesn't meet what I was expecting. Loved the first one, Dead Island. this game however is frustrating and has some stupid moments that go beyond trying to be a challenge. When your walking along and get jumped from all directions suddenly by groups of half a dozen zombies that with your stamina and health, you have no chance to fight so you just sit there and wait to die so you can reload. that's not a game, that's a joke by the programmers who are trying to loose their client base :D. Another thing that drives me nuts is what seems to be a lack of physics for water on zombie movement, they run faster in the water than I do on dry land? Overall I am disappointed in the game and if given the chance I would have waited for the price to drop by half before buying. Expand
  13. Apr 29, 2013
    I loved the first game .Played almost 500 hours. I love the game play and graphics, but this games crashes for no reason. If I am running to a location or driving fast it will crash. If I enter a room fast it will crash. Do not buy this game until they fix it. It is seriously broken. I have a good gaming computer. I am Playing Star Trek the game 2013 ,Bioshock Infinity and Borderlands 2 they run fine.

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 Bios 1501
    Mobo: Asus P6X58D Premium
    Video: EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    Video Driver: 320.00-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-beta
    Ram: XMS3 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (TR3X6G1600C8)
    PSU: RAIDMAX RX-1200AE 1200W
    HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    Heatsink: HEATKILLER Rev3.0 Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator
    Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
  14. Apr 28, 2013
    Compared to the first installment of Dead Island, this is a complete disaster.
    I don't even know what went wrong, the gameplay is a mess, hitting zombies is just about luck and not skills anymore.
    The controls and the combat mechanics are clunky as hell and very annoying when you are surrounded by zombies. Not only they made them tougher but also buggier and glitchier just like
    everything else in this game.

Visually it doesn't look that good either, zombies spawning in from of you out of nowhere, graphical bugs and random crashes.

Horrible music, terrible voice acting.
    Constantly bashing zombies just got way too repetitive and boring in this sequel.

This is a complete messed up game, don't even bother unless its $5.
    Save your cash and get the first Dead Island instead. This is just pathetic beyond relief.
  15. Apr 24, 2013
    mindless game, i enjoyed first DI game. DIR is more of the same thing which is not necessary the bad thing. I actually enjoyed it and truly recommend for those who liked the first part. o

Bad things? story, story, story.. it sucks.. they need to sort it out in next DI!
  16. Apr 26, 2013
    Insanity, buying the same game twice, and expecting a different result.

Still broken and buggy despite being a minor expansion pack to a 2 year old game.
  17. Apr 25, 2013
    It is not horribly difficult to love the original Dead Island. Even if you did love the original, Riptide's lack of vision somehow serves to make its predecessor seem better by comparison. Riptide is not changed enough in good ways and changed more than enough in bad ways to take what was a critically divisive but ultimately enjoyable title and turn it into a thoroughly unenjoyable one.
  18. Apr 23, 2013
    It is like the first one but I liked the first one this one doesn't work and its newer, me and my friend got this game for $70 to continue the story and we can't even join each others game I am disappointed with this company and don't think I will purchase another broken game from them again
  19. Apr 23, 2013
    Ok i know there are a ton of defensive fans who would say im wrong but this is my opinion.

First of all i would like to say that game play feels exactly the same from the first dad island, which in fact i do like. but it shouldn't be ignored that the developers didn't try to mix things up.

The animations are still god awful like in the first game, i don't think quicksilver thought of
    us again when we said we can see the weird arm movements in the shadows

The graphics are even more pretty and i have to run the game medium settings, so graphics dont take a toll on lower settings.

The setting of riptide looks exactly like every part of the other island in the first game but these areas are actually complimented by the graphics in terms of forest density and city textures.

The new character seems overpowered but that 'll be fixed soon or later.

they managed to get an 8 from me this time around.
  20. May 7, 2013
    I liked the original Dead island and with this sequel I was hoping for something new. Unfortunately I hardly got something new. Sure, slaying zombies remains fun but I could do the same in the prequel. Also this game seems to punish you for not playing in co-op as the difficulty doesn't seem to adjust itself when playing with/without other people. The story is mediocre, even with the new character. The boats are fun for what they are but aren't such a necessity.
    Overall a very average game that could have been great but it feels like just a reboot of the original
  21. Apr 26, 2013
    I'll put it in a nutshell last year I rated the 10 out of 10 as the game was fresh, interesting etc.
    This year I can not rate this game higher than 1, as I see no difference, and what's more important see no soul in the game. It's a dump copypaste, sad.
  22. Jul 8, 2013
    A mere mission pack, where you can clearly see when they run out of money. The beginning is fine, but further you get, disappointment rises, and last third (with ending) is just miserable. Ending was a joke and it's clear they want to milk the series even more. I wouldn't be against it if the quality wasn't so poor! There is hardly any improvement at all and I don't know how they expect people to get interested when the best they could do is this. Expand
  23. May 1, 2013
    There's nothing I hate more than a goddamn cash-grab, so I found myself disappointed I'd been lied to again by Deep Silver. To Deep Silver, changing a game is literally just re-hashing the already-fulfilled story, adding one character, adding a few more weapons, some drivable boats, and fixing NONE of the problems of the original.
  24. Apr 28, 2013
    It don't interest my much at all.. Driving a car feels very weird. Slashing through enemies is impossible due to the stamina and needing to repair your weapon, i just fully upgraded my BBQ blade and i need to still repair weapon every now and then but as bad as when i first got it of course.. I like how most of its like FC3 like obtaining money or scavenging for items. GFX look ok but they did'nt have to over do it so much to impress others.. When you die, you loose money? is this like diablo? it's suppose to be a FPS, zombie killing type of game.. oh well, is what it is but atleast a quarter of it i liked. Expand
  25. Apr 23, 2013
    Fun enough if you like repeatedly bashing things. I would like to add that the sequences requiring you to travel by boat are some of the least fun moments I have ever had in a video game. i would absolutely return this and get my money back if i could.
  26. May 4, 2013
    Generic story and short, copy of first game, pathetic animations, poor design, excessive price.

Maybe use it 30 min to kill some zombies, but that's all.
  27. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the original Dead Island, and I love Riptide. Having a new character to play, new infected to kill, they also changed up the story a bit and some of the stuff you can do.
    I've had no issue playing with friends as I have seen people complain.
    It's a continuation to the first game, kind of like the F.E.A.R. series, L4D L4D2, Serious Sam, etc. So of course it's going to have a lot of the same game mechanics, that's just a petty excuse to not like a game.
    It is a lot like Dead Island, but it does have a lot more stuff to it. Like new character, new (some fun) weapons, more infected, and for example another means of travel is a boat. I have personally had no issues with the game except some minor glitches like the first game had. It's just a bit dull when you're not playing with other people.
  28. Apr 24, 2013
    The game is certainly rough around the edges but what is there is a lot of fun. There is so much to explore and the combat just feels right. I don't need this game to reinvent the wheel, I laugh at people who make these sorts of arguments considering very few games today are truly revolutionizing anything. Dead Island has tons of stuff to explore, weapons to collect, and zombies to kill. The cut scenes are bad, the story is barely there, and I don't care. I just want to have some visceral combat and get cool weapons to continue the slaughter. The game is delivering on that flawlessly. Expand
  29. May 6, 2013
    Rewriting my review now that finally I got the game to run without crashing and finished it. Firstly. It is worth saying that it is more of the same. If you enjoy slaughtering hordes of undead monsters in new and progressively more interesting ways then this is a great in terms of gameplay. Gameplay is excellent. Voice acting in this game works too. Even some of the stereotypes are just indicative and not quite as annoying as one might imagine because the emotion in the voice acting is extremely good. Story is fine, but personally I still find it a bit too linear but not too jarringly so.

Unfortunately, the bugs and technical limitations plague it. You throw a grenade and your framerate slows to 5 fps for the duration of the time your in the same areas of the detonation. I use tri sli and tried switching it off. Same issue. This is something you can work around but its annoying. More annoying yet, there is a fair bit of switching between zones into instanced type areas. OMG the loading times of these are insane. I haven't seen zone loading times like these in the last 6 years. Seriously, you can go to take a shower. perhaps get a massage and come back with minutes to spare.

This is a console game through and through (though one of the best games from a console and one of the ways it feels like a console game is that the field of view is limited. However, not so jarringly as other console crossovers. I am pretty sensitive to Xbox field of view trick which is one of the reasons why I never really brought games for the consoles but somehow DI rarely made me feel outright nauseous.

The biggest issue though, is the usual console issue. This is a game designed for the console demographic. Many games studios have defined this as the "casual gamer" and this apparently means a short attention span with expectations of buying it Friday and finishing it by Monday. That was certainly the case with this game. Far far too short for a AAA title.

There have been many worse to be fair and it may be that my expectations are not aligned with this "casual gamer" demographic but I like a game to explore and get my teeth into. DI is free roam to be fair but in the same way as many other games get called free roam these days to tick a box. ie. YOu can go back to old zones etc but there is no purpose to it if you were thorough the first time.

I was trying to be thorough but even so. I didnt make it last more than a weekend. I know a lot of people that would be pretty unhappy if they brought this for their kids etc for that reason. Next weekend, they will want a another new game. Makes one wonder what will happen with the next gen consoles reportedly taking steps to kill off the second hand games market in various ways such as limiting access to content on replay. Sorry I digress.

All in all. fun and good entertainment. The usual serious issues of a console port but the game play balances this out so it is worth a punt if it goes on sale.
  30. Apr 25, 2013
    I have played a couple of hours and here are some impressions. I like the looting, the RPG-elements and the gameplay. Some elements ruin the sense of realism, but can be tons of fun if you can look past that fact.

The game looks, plays and sounds EXACTLY like the original Dead Island. Graphics looks dated and ugly up close. No AA or AF, graphic options are poor. FOV is narrow and can't
    be changed ingame. Soundmix is awful (I had to crank voices up to 90%, and lower the others to 20-30% to be able to hear voices properly.) I am amazed that they have carried over the screeching sound for USB 7.1 headsets (makes the game unbearable to play with i.e. a G35.)

Gameplay has its ups and downs. Mouse acceleration is apparent, it makes the fights more intense; that you have to struggle with the aim. But it makes gunplay insanely frustrating. There are lots of exploration to be done. There are lootable containers EVERYWHERE. They introduce very little new, and has put very little effort into fixing and upgrading previous mechanics.

I am very much enjoying this game. And as many others have pointed out; if you did not like Dead Island, you will not like this.
  31. Apr 28, 2013

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Dead Island Riptide walks the same path as its predecessor. Another tropical island filled with boring mission design and loads of filler time in the form of traveling between different locations. And like last time it is still quite entertaining. At least with a couple of friends.
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    An attempt to remake the pretty-looking shambler - with no effort to improve the balance of game systems or iron out bugs. [July 2013, p.80]
  3. Jun 19, 2013
    Two years ago, I criticized the original Dead Island for its storyline that was nonsensical even by the usually low standards of the ‘zombie’ genre. Well, Riptide plunges even deeper. And don’t even dream of exploring the game’s open world – there is absolutely nothing worth your time.