6.8

1. Sep 25, 2011
    I want to start this off by saying Dead Island is an amazing game.
    Somehow it was put on for public execution when it had a rough release.
    I also want to add -- I had no problems technically with this game!! The bugs everyone complained about - for the last 3 weeks of playing this game I have only encountered one (1) bug and I can't even remember what it was. Also many games have the
    I want to start this off by saying Dead Island is an amazing game.
    Somehow it was put on for public execution when it had a rough release.

I also want to add -- I had no problems technically with this game!!

Also many games have the same troubles when they launch. I think its ridiculous that Dead Island should be scourged for it and every other game skids by with no comment on its launching problems...

ANYWAYS!

From the get-go you start off alone, and in the middle of a mysterious zombie outbreak. The ambiance and environment your set it does a great job of unsettling you. Walking through a deserted hotel with nothing but the sounds of zombies groaning in the background takes me back to the good old scary experiences i had when i first loaded up Resident Evil 2 and felt like i was trapped in a horrifying city of zombies. Dead Island does a great job of selling the scene.

The graphics are outstanding. Ive seen some other reviewers/critics dis the graphics and call them rough and low resolution and I have to question which rig they were using. Because Dead Island is on par with games like Crysis 2, better graphics than COD:Black Ops, and also on par with BFBC2. But I must say they are used much differently. Lighting plays a big factor. The sun will break through the leaves on palm trees. Debris will float through the air. Lots of detail has been put into the game graphics wise. Those who are downing the graphics either need a better computer, or need their eyes checked. The graphics are just fine and look great set on High Settings.

Sound wise the game is decked out with the oh-so appropriate tension music. Background noises of zombies groaning, screaming, gunshots very rarely firing off. Its what you would imagine it would sound like. Unfortunately it does suffer from -some- poor voice acting. Gameplay. Its zombie survival meets RPG. You are forced to find many makeshift melee weapons as overtime these weapons will break and become useless to you. In the beginning of the game this is most noticed as most of the weapons you start with are just like the crappy dropped weapons you find at level 1 in Diablo II. But as you make your way through the game, pop open some weapons crates and find crafting recipes via sidequests you go from using a cracked boat oar to using a baseball bat with a motorized circular saw on the top of it. Your given the option of repairing, upgrading and crafting your weapons. NPCs in the game will also sell/buy any items weapons.

Weapons can also be thrown for extra damage. This is important strategy as sometimes you will face superior infected zombies that are not phased as easily. But throwing a heavy crowbar to the face will knock them down in their tracks so you can more easily engage the NEXT zombie currently charging at you. A simple kick action is also added to your arsenal for knocking zombies back providing you more space to work. its best worked to kick 1 or 2 down at a time to work on a 3rd opponent more easily. To go with the RPG side you can upgrade your skills to make your kicks more deadly or even crush the skull of a fallen zombie for an instant kill. Easily preserving your melee weapons so they don't suffer wear and tear as quickly.

Guns in game are rare, and so is ammunition. Best saved when you will end up fighting non-zombie looters who are taking advantage of the Dead Island. But do some in handy against a horde of zombies when you are injured and outnumbered. Much like all zombie games there are special types of zombies. Yes they are similar to the ones in Left 4 Dead. But i wouldn't call it a total rip off. I think there's just a general of idea of zombie scenarios that works and both L4D and DI have adopted the idea as the best one. That said, it doesn't take away from the game. They are all placed perfectly to challenge you. One zombie by itself is hard to kill. A special infected in a horde will cause you to consider your weapons, environment, and a backup plan and escape route. Your enemies are very effective at making you question your situation.

RPG gameplay is set to standard. Kill zombies = exp. Quests = exp. Exp = skill points for talent trees and extra life. To save my text limit I'll simply say the RPG system is perfect. The storyline is more based around the mystery of the outbreak and trying to survive. Hidden recordings tell a haunting story of a reporter investigating the island and beg to be found to know what happens next. simply awesome.

Multiplayer allows for an awesome drop-in/drop-out experience. Using either a lobby or simply picking up other users near the same part of the game as you. Very effective.

In short conclusion. Do NOT believe the trigger happy critics. Dead Island is an awesome survival horror RPG with solid multi-player. 9/10.
  2. Sep 28, 2011
    This is one of the better games I've ever played. I'm typically a FPS mouse/keyboard gamer, but this one is perfection using a XBox360 controller on a 50" TV on a high-end system. I have played it since a week after release, and have had nearly zero issues. I did have to turn on vsync to keep the tearing down, and it now runs silky smooth. I really enjoy the open world feel, and is aThis is one of the better games I've ever played. I'm typically a FPS mouse/keyboard gamer, but this one is perfection using a XBox360 controller on a 50" TV on a high-end system. I have played it since a week after release, and have had nearly zero issues. I did have to turn on vsync to keep the tearing down, and it now runs silky smooth. I really enjoy the open world feel, and is a welcome change from linear shooters. Brilliant game! Yes some people may have issues but I have had none. I honestly have no clue how anyone can claim this game appears rushed, as it has meticulous details throughout. I am burning untold hours on this game. It definitely has playthrough value! Expand
  3. Dec 25, 2012
    Ive only played the shooter chick and found the game rewarding. The best part of the game for me is the death animations of the enemies. I played a lot of Left 4 Dead 2 censored and still enjoyed it and looking back now and I wonder what I missed out on now that I'm enjoying Dead Island with all its gore enabled.

The monsters are okay, there are special infected but when you learn the

The monsters are okay, there are special infected but when you learn the type of elemental attack each one doesn't like you can dispatch them pretty quickly. Monster standing in water = electrical attack, and so on.

One of the odd things that strike me about DI is the scaling of character levels. What I mean is how monsters scale with you to the point that leveling up almost seems pointless. You don't seem to get a great deal more powerful because of this, in fact if weren't for a few entertaining skills and items it would be completely pointless. This for me is a drawback but not a game killer. I like to feel that I'm getting more powerful and I thought this game could have done a better job at that.

There are 4 Acts to this game which really need to be explored and largely can be while performing many and I mean a **** tonne of the games side quests. I can see the side quests being the largest negative for many people as they are almost all fetch quest which gets very tiresome. But the maps are very well done which I really enjoyed exploring and its worth playing thru to at least the jungle (Act 3) just to see what I mean.

One of the big positive for me in this game has to be the itemization. I love good itemization and I think this one has it. There isn't any real reason to care about the quality (exceptional item) of an item rather the prefix to its name is what really matters. The crafting system called mods is pretty cool and keeps me looking for more items to tinker with. Crafted items have some pretty nifty death animations too which has been, well alright I guess. I just enjoy getting those criticals rolling out in succession and watching the **** burn. xD

*spoiler* And that's pretty much it except to say there is a final boss battle and its pure lame crap. Its some dude that's a kind of cross between 2 special monsters, whoop diddy do and I thought the story sucked but I've always preferred good characters to stories anyhow which this game is also short on.
  4. Mar 21, 2012
    I saw for first this game from a trailer where a little girl was dead on the floor and then went all backwords from the beggining where the family took a photograph which caught my attencion. I absolutly love this game, really, it just has fabulous graphics with such a great gameplay. The story is awesome where we can enjoy great enviroments with a great variety of weapons and characterI saw for first this game from a trailer where a little girl was dead on the floor and then went all backwords from the beggining where the family took a photograph which caught my attencion. I absolutly love this game, really, it just has fabulous graphics with such a great gameplay. The story is awesome where we can enjoy great enviroments with a great variety of weapons and character customization. Also the co-op which can add to 4 players adds the fun part of this game. I cant spot a single negative thing despite some soft bugs which is irrelevant. I recommend everyone to try this game, its really fun and entertaining and if you like zombies or watched Walking Dead then this is your game. Also the Ryder White DLC adds those missing pieces of the puzzle. Expand
  5. Mar 31, 2012
    I loved the game,its very fun, with friends or no friends , is a big open world , it have 4 beutifal and huge maps,there is a lot things to do , sometimes it has some glitches , but who cares ! It runs very good on all computers , i have 2 computers (this) it is very good and has good graphics , and another it is very slow but it runs perfect ! Everithyng on High! No lag , If u have aI loved the game,its very fun, with friends or no friends , is a big open world , it have 4 beutifal and huge maps,there is a lot things to do , sometimes it has some glitches , but who cares ! It runs very good on all computers , i have 2 computers (this) it is very good and has good graphics , and another it is very slow but it runs perfect ! Everithyng on High! No lag , If u have a laggy pc it doesnt matter , Buy it! Very awsome game Expand
  6. Jun 3, 2012
    game is best ever i mean they should update it for pc version fix some of glitches they have but i love it entirely with in first 20 mins i lv up lv 9 and had 20k in cash from it from zombie
  7. Jun 11, 2012
    DI is perfect in every way. It contains fascinating open world with amazing graphics, great close combat system and well-designed skill point developing, not mention but a few. After 70 hours of playing, I haven't found anything what fazes playing. Not happened before in my life.
  8. Jun 20, 2012
    This game is very cathartic. Chopping zombie heads off in slow motion is AWESOME. There comes a point later on where as the blade expert it is exactly like a samurai game and it's the best one I've played. The environments are great, the driving is fun, the missions varied. I played through on single player, it's easy to have strangers join up in your game, but I'm not so sure about addingThis game is very cathartic. Chopping zombie heads off in slow motion is AWESOME. There comes a point later on where as the blade expert it is exactly like a samurai game and it's the best one I've played. The environments are great, the driving is fun, the missions varied. I played through on single player, it's easy to have strangers join up in your game, but I'm not so sure about adding friends. The animations of other players aren't as good so in the end I preferred playing through single player to get a sense of when quests started and to be more challenging. Modding weapons is fun, and you wonder if you missed any designs. Cash didn't seem to be much of a problem. I'm about ready to play through again using a different Character to see what's different. Hammer time! Expand
  9. Jul 18, 2012
    Absolutely LOVED this game! At first I wasn't too thrilled with the "checkpoint" saving, but when I got over that the total fun began! One of many features you can do in this game is mods! Mod your weapons, make ammo, make weapons! Another is the story, was very nice. It was very different from other zombie games I have played before and enjoyed every minute of it...either it was just meAbsolutely LOVED this game! At first I wasn't too thrilled with the "checkpoint" saving, but when I got over that the total fun began! One of many features you can do in this game is mods! Mod your weapons, make ammo, make weapons! Another is the story, was very nice. It was very different from other zombie games I have played before and enjoyed every minute of it...either it was just me or with my buddies. Like all games it had its glitches here and there, but I just laughed and went on. Loved doing main story quests and having some side quests! Very great zombie game, if you love zombies you will like this game! Especially the awesome double-takes or slowmo's of when you chop there heads off! xD Expand
  10. Sep 25, 2013
    All of my Romero fantasies rolled into one. There's no shopping mall, but the tone, atmosphere and level of immersion in Dead Island is incredible. Can get a little repetitive later on with the over-population of zombies in some areas, and some (not all) fetch-quests are somewhat boring, but excellent, bloody stuff nonetheless.
  11. Aug 21, 2012
    I will never understand how people can so virulently rail against a developer for releasing a game with bugs. Granted, this game had some huge ones on release day (I hear), the sad fact is that most games nowadays are released earlier than they should be, and have bugs/problems. While I agree this should never have become the norm, giving a game a 0-2 because of bugs that were resolvedI will never understand how people can so virulently rail against a developer for releasing a game with bugs. Granted, this game had some huge ones on release day (I hear), the sad fact is that most games nowadays are released earlier than they should be, and have bugs/problems. While I agree this should never have become the norm, giving a game a 0-2 because of bugs that were resolved within days is going to do nothing but lead potential future buyers away from purchasing a fantastic game that they would love. ********************************************************************************************************* That's exactly what this is: A fantastic game. People that were initially expecting the game to be like Dead Island or Left 4 Dead may be disappointed at first, but if they can look past their expectations, they will find a true gem. The closest actual comparison to this game is a zombie-themed Fallout 3 on a tropical island. Personally, I think this is by far the best zombie game on the market. Individual zombies are relatively weak and easy to pick off, but large groups of zombies become serious threats REALLY quickly, and larger "thug" enemies require some strategy to kill, rather than simply more bullets. At the same time, if you are reckless and swinging your weapon all over the place, you will run out of stamina, and even small groups will be challenging. I honestly think the combat is amazing, and is just about perfect, except for the fact that the characters' "kick" command (default button is E, I think) is a little overpowered, and it's easy to keep medium groups of zombies stunned on the ground by spamming it. If they nerfed it, though, the game might become too difficult. ************************************************************************************************************** Starting out in this game, be prepared to have crappy weapons that you need to repair all the time. It evens out later on, though, especially as you unlock other attacks. Case in point, I used to have 3 weapons that I needed to repair in every town visit, but by about level 16ish, I had 1 main weapon that only got down to about 50% durability, with less frequent town visits. This is a beautifully done, rock-solid (no crashes or glitches at all on my system), visceral zombie basher. It's DEFINITELY better with friends, but I even enjoy the single player campaign. If there were no release day issues, I firmly believe this game would have over an 8 user score. Expand
  12. Mar 28, 2013
    Dead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thingDead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thing about the game is the sense of wonder and amazement as you walk around a high-detailed island. Attention to detail is everywhere and it genuinely gives the player a sense of realism and the integrity of the world and it’s inhabitants.

In the game there are lots of weapons to use from Axes to Metal Pipes to Brass Knuckles and more. In fact there’s a larger emphasis on melee weapons than guns. There’s also a lot of scavenging, along with repairing and upgrading weapons.

There are a variety of zombies from slow ones, to fast ones and a few boss ones here and there. The quests are varied and the backstory is well written. Combat is solid and feels enjoyable, particularly when swinging a heavy object or using a bladed weapon.

You can learn a variety of new skills, the different ones vary with characters, including regenerative health and a ‘fury mode’ which is charged by killing zombies.

In the standard game, you will be using melee weapons for the majority of the time, but the DLC Ryder White’s Campaign does grant the player much more in terms of gunplay. Overall this is a great game and definitely worth it’s price.
  13. Jul 26, 2012
    Overall a fun experience, especially multiplayer despite a dodgy progression system. Only thing i disliked was the terrible voice acting and accents other than Sam B.
  14. Jan 25, 2013
    I played the goty Dead Island. I know nothing of how it was at release, what I know is how great this game is. Solid 100 hours of gameplay and satisfying action. Half horror half shooter. Its NOT an horror dedicated game but has its moments. Recommended.
  15. JEK
    Nov 24, 2012
    6.8 user score? Are you kidding me? This is one of my favorite games. Good scenery, good graphics( so-so), no problem with the controls, good story. You can brutally kill zombies with any weapons. It's open world and you can create your own weapon. If anybody 's complaining about the bugs you can easily fix it with some patches. But that's not right rating this game very low because you6.8 user score? Are you kidding me? This is one of my favorite games. Good scenery, good graphics( so-so), no problem with the controls, good story. You can brutally kill zombies with any weapons. It's open world and you can create your own weapon. If anybody 's complaining about the bugs you can easily fix it with some patches. But that's not right rating this game very low because you have problems installing it etc. This is 10/10 for me. I'm looking forward to Dead Island: Riptide. But for the meantime, I'm planning to buy Far Cry 3. Expand
  16. Jul 30, 2012
    Great co-op mode, really fun to play with a friend. Although I never found any critical bug there were some minor issues but they are already fixed. A must-have game if you like co-op mode and zombie plot.
  17. Oct 15, 2012
    This game might be a little gitichy here and there, but when you move further in the story, playing alongside your friends and killing zombies not only with knifes and baseball bats but also with guns or modded weapons, this game becomes a masterpiece. The story is, as I find it, very entertaining and easy to follow, although other people find it really bad. I have been playing this withThis game might be a little gitichy here and there, but when you move further in the story, playing alongside your friends and killing zombies not only with knifes and baseball bats but also with guns or modded weapons, this game becomes a masterpiece. The story is, as I find it, very entertaining and easy to follow, although other people find it really bad. I have been playing this with two characters singleplayer and me and my friends are still playing the coop part of the game to truly finish all quests. One thing I know, I'm so gonna preorder the next chapter! Expand
  18. Nov 5, 2012
    Most of the bad reviews are old and complaint about bugs. Well, i played in end 2012, all bugs fixed and with a 360 controller. I must say that i do enjoy the game a lot. 20h or a little less of gameplay sticking with main quests. In top settings the game looks awesome and it is refreshing to play a first person slasher considering all the boring first person shooters around. Hands downMost of the bad reviews are old and complaint about bugs. Well, i played in end 2012, all bugs fixed and with a 360 controller. I must say that i do enjoy the game a lot. 20h or a little less of gameplay sticking with main quests. In top settings the game looks awesome and it is refreshing to play a first person slasher considering all the boring first person shooters around. Hands down the best zombie game i have played. Expand
  19. Dec 3, 2012
    Dead island is a good game, but have lots bugs in the game meybe after fix that problem whit bugs but i like that game ,and i put 9/10,and peaple do more videos about that game it is fanny game killing zombies in that game is very very very good efects and i like to say play that game dont say that is crap because you got crap PC and youb say that is crap
  20. Jan 13, 2013
    Nonetheless, I reach Dead Island. This game is filled with zombie-murdering. You want a big tough colored guy that can hit people with things? You got it here. You want a guy that can chuck things twenty feet, hit the zombie, and come back to him like boomerang? You got it here. You want a chick that can murder zombies with bullets? You got it here. There are five characters total in thisNonetheless, I reach Dead Island. This game is filled with zombie-murdering. You want a big tough colored guy that can hit people with things? You got it here. You want a guy that can chuck things twenty feet, hit the zombie, and come back to him like boomerang? You got it here. You want a chick that can murder zombies with bullets? You got it here. There are five characters total in this game, choose one, and team up with your friends and kill some zombies, and complete quests!

Onto some other parts of the game here, the game is not ALL about doing quests. You can trade with friends, you can buy things, sell things, team up with others and just have some fun, ect. I haven't gotten too too in depth with the story just yet, but eventually I will. If you love killing zombies, you will definitely like Dead Island. There is no doubt about it. Highly recommended.
  21. Apr 25, 2013
    Dead Island is an amazing game in it's mechanics and graphics. It also has a lot of content. It's a free-roam RPG focused on zombies. Those 3 sentences SHOULD sum up Dead Island, but unfortunately, there are shoehorned shooter sections, bland story, and odd dialogue in the mix. For what Dead Island focuses on, (which is killing zombies in creative fashion and leveling up), you can lookDead Island is an amazing game in it's mechanics and graphics. It also has a lot of content. It's a free-roam RPG focused on zombies. Those 3 sentences SHOULD sum up Dead Island, but unfortunately, there are shoehorned shooter sections, bland story, and odd dialogue in the mix. For what Dead Island focuses on, (which is killing zombies in creative fashion and leveling up), you can look past the minor things. I really like it for what it was made for, and you should too. Now go chop off some arms and smash some skulls. Expand
  22. Jul 5, 2013
    You should play on the beautiful island resort. Smart hotels and bungalow, pools, bars, palm trees and beaches. Game is very pleasant from the visual point of view. All components of world around are traced very carefully, and the main thing by a svdokhnoveniye. Myrrh of game not so empty (as for the island embraced with an unknown infection). Zombies constantly wander about the island,You should play on the beautiful island resort. Smart hotels and bungalow, pools, bars, palm trees and beaches. Game is very pleasant from the visual point of view. All components of world around are traced very carefully, and the main thing by a svdokhnoveniye. Myrrh of game not so empty (as for the island embraced with an unknown infection). Zombies constantly wander about the island, you always risk to come across others survived, and nobody guarantees that the meeting will be pleasant to you. Even if anybody isn't present nearby, you never feel lonely, from is far loud breath of the zombie is distributed, and you is strained you wait from what party there is this creature... Besides an atmosfernost the game world is interesting by the interactivity. Many subjects it is possible to pick up, pump over, combine them among themselves and to make other pranks. Quests which you receive from minor characters almost always are rather original and are taken place with pleasure. Plus in game it is possible to have fun not only passing missions. It is possible to drive on jeeps and to press the zombie, to investigate world around and it is simple to play the fool. Especially cheerfully to do it in cooperative with friends. This game for certain has shortcomings, but I didn't find them... I claim that Dead Island game obligatory to passing! Expand
  23. Nov 29, 2013
    I loved this game, and have played it and completed the game with all four characters. It is so confusing to me when I see a few bad reviews about this game, because I completely disagree. For me, I like the first-person view, the multiple weapons you can use and craft, the beautiful gameplay environment, and also when you search backpacks for money and other materials. That's always fun.I loved this game, and have played it and completed the game with all four characters. It is so confusing to me when I see a few bad reviews about this game, because I completely disagree. For me, I like the first-person view, the multiple weapons you can use and craft, the beautiful gameplay environment, and also when you search backpacks for money and other materials. That's always fun. I like how each character have their own separate personalities, and say witty things. Playing online is also fun, because sometimes you will meet people you don't even know, and join in their game, and help each other in hard missions.... First time I played this game, I was so freaked out. I got so consumed with the game, that's all I was ever doing, playing it, especially the City of Moresby. But learning your character's signature moves, and how to level up, which gets you more upgrades. Try it, it's the best game, to me, I ever played. Expand
  24. Feb 6, 2015
    As like most people, I was initially drawn to 'Dead Island' because of it's mind-grabbing cinematic teaser trailer. However, unlike most people, when the game was actually released I wasn't disappointed in the least. And that's mostly due to the fact that 'Dead Island' has one of the most gorgeous and engrossing atmosphere's that I have ever seen in a video game. There's just somethingAs like most people, I was initially drawn to 'Dead Island' because of it's mind-grabbing cinematic teaser trailer. However, unlike most people, when the game was actually released I wasn't disappointed in the least. And that's mostly due to the fact that 'Dead Island' has one of the most gorgeous and engrossing atmosphere's that I have ever seen in a video game. There's just something about a zombie infested paradise that really does it for me and I can't get enough of it. The island of Hanoi truly is a vast and comprehensive environment that is worth exploring over and over again.

Aside from how wonderful the environment is, the gameplay is also extremely fun and balanced. Bashing zombies heads in with pipes, wrenches, paddles, and whatever else you can find never grows old, and the lack of immediate firearms is surprisingly refreshing. In fact, one of the best aspects of this game is how long it actually takes to get some guns. At first I admit I was wondering how long it would take to get them, but when I finally did, I realized I had way more fun using just about anything else. Not to mention you can modify preexisting weapons to make them more powerful, such as adding barbed wire to bats, and so on and so forth.

As for the story in 'Dead Island' it's nothing special and is pretty much what you would expect from a modern horror movie. A group of unlikely people are forced to work together as they take on zombie hordes and battle with internal conflict. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The dialog is minimal, which I found to be a good thing, and the progression makes about as much sense as it should. All-in-all the story does a fine job of moving the game forward, and considering most people aren't playing for the story, it's nothing to complain about.

When it comes down to it, 'Dead Island' offers a gorgeous atmosphere, solid combat with a wide variety of weapons, tons off quests to get side-tracked with, a soundtrack that sets the tone perfectly, an acceptable storyline with acceptable characters, and an overall balanced XP system. Pick this one up if you're a fan of zombies, first person shooters, exotic island madness, and cheesy horror movies. And even if you're not a fan of any of those things, I mean, what's wrong with you? Not one of those things appeals to you? Are you sure you're okay? You haven't been...bitten...have you...!?!?!?!?!

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.