6.8

1. Sep 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best zombie game I have played in a long time. The rpg elements are great, the co-op is a welcome bonus, and the combat, very cool how you can sever limbs and break bones. I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes rpg and/or zombie games. Expand
  2. Sep 22, 2011
    Nice Game, blood everywhere. Xp, and evolution tree for characters, nice... physical combat is intuitive and really fun, weapon mods and upgrades gives a new taste to games like that, for me is a left4dead mixed with fallout and borderlands all together. if you like one of this games, go ahead for Dead Island.

++++ recommended.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    For me the best RPG in a long time. Love the setting - horror survival with pleasant environment. Zombies, first person hand-to-hand combat, weapon upgrades, contemporary settings. Quests feel natural and fitting, and are well located, no need to travel around over extensively. The graphics on the PC (GTX 560) is insane. If the graphics development stopped here I'd be fine with that :). ItFor me the best RPG in a long time. Love the setting - horror survival with pleasant environment. Zombies, first person hand-to-hand combat, weapon upgrades, contemporary settings. Quests feel natural and fitting, and are well located, no need to travel around over extensively. The graphics on the PC (GTX 560) is insane. If the graphics development stopped here I'd be fine with that :). It has the right mix of everything, kept me hooked up till the end which rarely happens even with AAA game. Yeah, it has bugs, but every new game does, don't care as long as they fix quickly. Will remember for a long time. In fact, I WANT DLC or part 2. PLEAAAASEE!!! :) Expand
  4. Oct 18, 2011
    The only problem i found with this game is the beginning stage at the beach. The graphics here were just horrible and of course having to pick up a new weapon after 1 fight blows. BUT, once i left that beach....the game did a complete 360 on me. I could not put it down. The story makes sense and draws you in. On top of that as you get closer to the end of the game, you find yourselfThe only problem i found with this game is the beginning stage at the beach. The graphics here were just horrible and of course having to pick up a new weapon after 1 fight blows. BUT, once i left that beach....the game did a complete 360 on me. I could not put it down. The story makes sense and draws you in. On top of that as you get closer to the end of the game, you find yourself putting in hardcore hours just to see the next part. Staying focused on the main story was difficult because the side quests were just amazing too. I just wish i could have gotten my friends to soldier through that beach area.....I believe they really missed out on this one. Expand
  5. Sep 7, 2011
    good idea, just expect the graphics to be so much better, as for the whole wrong version release i just don't buy it. the patch really didn't do much, also can not connected and play with friends unless we setup a VPN 1st. what happen with working with steam-works? i almost feel ripped off i expected a lot more for my 50 bucks, maybe after Friday everything will be patched up and workinggood idea, just expect the graphics to be so much better, as for the whole wrong version release i just don't buy it. the patch really didn't do much, also can not connected and play with friends unless we setup a VPN 1st. what happen with working with steam-works? i almost feel ripped off i expected a lot more for my 50 bucks, maybe after Friday everything will be patched up and working correctly but till then this game is almost a let down. Expand
  6. Sep 10, 2011
    it s borderland with zombie, just the perfect co-op game to play with some friends and a cold beer !
    I love it !!
    Sure it's not story driven...but who care, sand boxe game with awesome gameplay and co-op ??
    one of the best game i played this year.
  7. Sep 12, 2011
    Right... I can say that I'm enjoying it so far. Some comments that I've seen compare it to Fallout 3 mixed with left4dead, mixed again with Borderlands. IMHO that's certainly true; but with a hint of FO (but the dialogue is one-sided) a large dash of Borderlands (particularly the skills sytem), a sprinkling of Oblivion (in as much as it's heavily melee combat oriented) a pinch of DeadRight... I can say that I'm enjoying it so far. Some comments that I've seen compare it to Fallout 3 mixed with left4dead, mixed again with Borderlands. IMHO that's certainly true; but with a hint of FO (but the dialogue is one-sided) a large dash of Borderlands (particularly the skills sytem), a sprinkling of Oblivion (in as much as it's heavily melee combat oriented) a pinch of Dead Rising 2 (combining items to make better weapons) and it has all the zombie gore of l4d.

I can't say with all honesty that it's better than L4D as they're games of a very different ilk; L4D is of course very heavy on gunplay, and Dead Island's emphasis is very much on melee combat. But the delight (and the occasional howl of anguish!) of it's combat system is in the improvisation that you find yourself doing - split second judgement even. You will find yourself thinking "right, I'm gonna throw this at here Fast Zombie sprinting towards me, then a quick kick to this one on the right, pick up this hammer here and try and break the arm of the one on the left....". Notice I said "break the arm". I could have equally said "cut off the arm" - which in itself is fantastic - this game gives you the ability to chop off various limbs (although you won't see any zombies dragging themselves along by their arms if you cut both legs off - believe me, I've tried!). It is hilarious though, watching a zombie trying to headbutt you to death!

The game is not perfect; there are some graphical glitches and the main storyline is a bit weak and dull in places. However, for the sheer joy of going toe-to-toe with the walking dead (and revelling in the resulting gore!) you can't get any better than Dead Island.
  8. Sep 16, 2011
    Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombie survival horror with item collection and character skill advancement trees. An excellent game and a lot of hours of fun gameplay.
  9. Sep 18, 2011
    Dead Island is one of the best games this year it is unique and has tons of replay value i find it satisfying to chop off a zombies head legs arms and going into a blood rage and killing zombies in bloody gory fashion if you like RPG's Zombie Apocalypse's you will love this game the only problem is pop in and that's not even a big deal i suggest you pick up this game as soon as you can
  10. Oct 22, 2011
    I acquired this game from Steam less than 1 week ago. Let's take care of the negatives: Since I was not an early adopter of the game, I didn't suffer the 'corrupt' SAVE issue many users have mentioned. I can appreciate how that would infuriate many people. I believe that PC issue has been resolved in patches. What I have continued to experience though, is wonky inventory situationsI acquired this game from Steam less than 1 week ago. Let's take care of the negatives: Since I was not an early adopter of the game, I didn't suffer the 'corrupt' SAVE issue many users have mentioned. I can appreciate how that would infuriate many people. I believe that PC issue has been resolved in patches. What I have continued to experience though, is wonky inventory situations where an item just wont pick up even though I have space. Not a big deal though, as I've managed to understand how the problem occurs and how to rectify it. I'm sure it will be dealt with at some point. Another issue is the awkwardness of weapon selection, using the middle mouse button to bring up the now popularized circular selector. It would make things easier if I could hot key each item, rather than awkwardly select with the mouse. Once again, hopefully the developer hears this and sends out another patch.

Positives: The game's quest system, whether it's primary, secondary or continuous quest lines are well designed with a helpful cookie trail to follow your way to the destination. The quests themselves are really enjoyable, I haven't gotten bored of any of them, nor do they seem repetitive or 'fed-exish' . This is important to me, as I will quickly lose interest in a game if quests become mundane or identical. Four unique characters to chose from. Pick your preference and have fun with him / her. There's co-op too, although playing with strangers can be annoying. Some people like myself, like to open all loot bags, chests etc. Whereas others I have played with like to fly through and ignore potential loots. For my own enjoyment, I prefer playing this as single player, so I can take my time by completing quests and looting at my leisure.

The sound effects, background ambiance really set the mood, creating quite a scary scenario. Well done.

The graphics are top notch in my opinion, with light / shadows being exemplary. I'm running crossfired ATI 5770's with an i7-860, 4gb ram, win 7/64-bit. Both cpu and graphics cards are at stock speeds. Not sure what the average frames-per-second is, but it's quite smooth, no complaints. Now, if I could understand what they've done with anti-aliasing and anisotropic settings, then I'd be happier. Yet, as it stands the 'High' settings across the board @ 1920 x 1080 looks like candy to my eyes. The artificial intelligence is quite good. The varieties of zombies will challenge you and you simply can't approach all encounters slicing wildly. The zombies can and will interrupt you, throw things at you and even straffe you to attack your side or flank [namely 'infected' zombies]. I have died many, many times due to being overwhelmed or performing a bad decision attack. Granted I'm not an avid video gamer, yet the challenge is definitely there. Worst case is you lose money and continue a few meters from where you died. Weapons degrade with use that you can 'repair' upon finding a repair/upgrade workbench scattered around. This feature alone makes you think twice about wildly swinging and instead makes you rely upon well placed hits or even kicking approaching zombie. Dismemberment is done with style.
    You can also throw your weapons, toss grenades or molotov **** at groups of zombies. At close proximity though, a grenade is likely going to blow you to smithereens as well, so don't go bonkers with explosives ;) For gun enthusiasts, there is one of 4 characters to chose whose specialty [read bonus damage] is guns. Otherwise, most of the time you'll be swinging your cleaver, knife, machete, or maybe breaking bones with sledge hammers and maces. There are upgrades you can buy for weapons and 'mods', which will gives you a chance to electrocute, poison or set ablaze your target for example.

All in all, a fun game. Yes, this is a long game and so far I'm enjoying it and feel that I'm approximately 1/2 way through. There is very minor 'farming' to do to acquire cash. You don't have to, and there are alternate ways to acquire money to buy your goodies. I definitely recommend this game to all.
  11. Sep 10, 2012
    Perhaps the best most realistic zombie game ever made.

The hit detection is more advanced than any other game out atm. Example: you chop a zombie in the arm with a machete, the arm gets chopped off, after that he only hits your with his other arm, and if you chop off his other arm he will try to bite, headbutt and kick you. Although the multilayer isn't awesome the single player puts
    Perhaps the best most realistic zombie game ever made.

Although the multilayer isn't awesome the single player puts L4D2 single and multilayer to shame. There is no unlimited health or unlimited ammo, you will never feel like your running though the same map made with some POS map editor (Hammer) along the exact same path over and over and over just to get a better score. Its different every time; you have somewhat of an open world scenario where you can trade weapons with other survivors at hideouts. If you shoot a zombie in the hand you wont kill him. You can play this game how ever you want.
  12. Sep 11, 2011
    Fun game, overall very solid. There are a lot of little irritations with the game and it could do greatly with a nice patch to add in some basic tweaks, features and bug fixes. In my opinion its everything left4disappointment should have been.
  13. Sep 12, 2011
    Dead Island is a fresh new take on the zombie genre, out with the old dark mansion; and in with the glorious Island of Banoi. This game fully deserves a rating of 10 because although it has its glitches which will go, it is a very dense and fun experience. The story is ok - good. The island is beautiful, the game play is great. Fully recommend this game.
  14. Sep 13, 2011
    Despite the mixed reviews, this game is fantastic. Technically flawed? Sure. There are environment and graphics bugs, its very easy to get stuck in the environment if you wander off too far or try to climb too many cliffs. Some staircases are nearly impossible to climb, lots of graphics and texture pop-in. But... they do not affect the gameplay, which is solid. The character progressionDespite the mixed reviews, this game is fantastic. Technically flawed? Sure. There are environment and graphics bugs, its very easy to get stuck in the environment if you wander off too far or try to climb too many cliffs. Some staircases are nearly impossible to climb, lots of graphics and texture pop-in. But... they do not affect the gameplay, which is solid. The character progression and item system are incredibly satisfying for those who love a good oldschool action rpg. Think diablo style stamina and tech trees, in a fallout style open world, with excellent zombie smashing combat. If you like zombies, or action rpg's you will be hooked instantly. Dead Island was smart in giving weapons fairly low durability. This does two things, it makes the workbench your best friend (which also encourages you to mod/upgrade weapons), and ensures that you never really feel safe despite having a full inventory. If you stir up a large pack of zombies, you will watch as your weaons crumble in your hands as you bash head after zombie head. Managing your weapons is as important as managing your health, and really makes you consider how well equipped you are before you venture too deep into infected territory. This also means that sometimes coming across a shovel or a stick or a canoe paddle at a key moment can literally save your life. All in all, this game is flawed, but extremely enjoyable. There are bugs, its not perfect, in fact from from it. But if things like weapon modification, skill trees, stamina bars, and all the hallmarks of good old fashioned action rpg's sound like what youve been missing over the last couple of years, this game is for you. Think borderlands without the boring. Think fallout meets diablo II with a stack of zombies and gore thrown in. This game will have mixed opinions, but for those who like these things, it will be an awesome experience. Expand
  15. Sep 13, 2011
    A botched early release will likely keep it from winning any awards, but Dead Island is a pretty excellent game. The first-person melee is very fluid- it's what Deus Ex 3 should've had instead of that context-insensitive BS. Even though the enemies stayed consistent almost the entire game I still found the combat more satisfying than that of its shooter/looter cousin, Borderlands. The gunsA botched early release will likely keep it from winning any awards, but Dead Island is a pretty excellent game. The first-person melee is very fluid- it's what Deus Ex 3 should've had instead of that context-insensitive BS. Even though the enemies stayed consistent almost the entire game I still found the combat more satisfying than that of its shooter/looter cousin, Borderlands. The guns are scarce for a while, but there are plenty in the late-game. Also, as opposed to Borderlands, the world feels more like a an actual WORLD, and the environments are amazing. The drop-in drop-out multiplayer can reliably find you someone to play with most of the time. It's better if you have a group, but not necessary. The cutscenes in which your whole group appears are a little jarring if you're playing alone, but you're not playing it for the story.

Which brings me to the story- standard zombie apocalypse video game fare, despite what the tear-jerker trailer would have you believe. Some of the voice acting is sub-par. The voice actor for Logan in the opening cutscene sounds like he's reading off a script and has never been drunk in his life. Not a good start.

Overall, the thing that really makes it is the first-person-melee. They provide enough weapons and enough attack options such that it stays challenging. It's the first time I've seen it done well in a game, and I hope it spawns imitations. Really tired of seeing "Press A to engage cutscene mode" as an alternative.
  16. Sep 14, 2011
    I think you need to take reviews from people that comment on the release issues and other negatives with a grain of salt. Can they say they have never made a mistake? We are human. Try having some patience, and waiting a couple days after release and then you won't need to worry.
    So about the game. I personally think that the story line and atmosphere are fantastic. The interior graphics are not particularly impressive, but the exterior is fantastic....and certainly can draw you in. the gameplay itself is fun as hell. You can blow up gas tanks and set zombies ablaze, smash in head, and hack off limbs. And you get a slow motion view of some of these happening. I can't say I've had any more enjoyment in a game. Period. The minus . so sure, some of the quests are a little lame and don't seem to really relate to the key survival of the group getting off the island. But look, your character is not super human. He does need help form others, and they need to be fed. They can't assist you if they are hungry or dead. And they are hysterical. Most people would be freaking out if they were trapped on an island with zombies..They want to know if their loved ones are alive. Do they care if you face danger? No. As long as they don't. If you don't want to help them, don't. But you DO want to go smash up some zombies. Trust me!
    Other trifles - there are some issues with the logic behind the weapon durabilities. Metal weapons should last very long, wooden ones should break really easily. Lead pipes seem to turn into noodles within a few zombies, as do military grade knifes. This will likely be fixed by a mod. Also, the item re-spawn is too fast. It should be harder to find money etc, however a fair number of paddles and sticks should be available at all times to smash the zombies! You should feel like there are not that many things, and a sense of danger and urgency exists. Again, easily fixed by tweaking some of the game's setting I'm sure.

In summary - this game is a lot of fun, and came through on it's promises. There are a number of other games that can be compared that were only great once moded (Oblivion - with OOO level tweaking). Provided a few modifications can be done to this game, it will rank close to some of these greats IMO. Thank god we have computers instead of a crappy console!
  17. Sep 16, 2011
    Dead island is a very fun game to play with your friends. Graphics are not groundbreaking but they do the job. The leveling system is enjoyable and makes you want to keep playing. Each character has a different skill tree.
  18. Sep 17, 2011
    Well, when I first picked up Dead Island, I was a bit leery of what I was going to get here- coming from games such as oblivion and all, I was not expecting much. But to be honest- this game delivers a bit more than what you bargain for.

Graphics/Optimization On PC- 7.5 This game, is really nothing to proud of in the graphics department- the textures are a bit shoddy, but get the job done

Graphics/Optimization On PC- 7.5
    This game, is really nothing to proud of in the graphics department- the textures are a bit shoddy, but get the job done nicely while still looking nice. On the PC, it runs just very nicely on very old systems To say the least, they did a fine job of making the game look good- while having good performance. Some people complained about texture popup- but to be completely honest, it was either too subtle to see, or I did not experience any at all.

Gameplay- 9
    Now this is where things get interesting- imagine having a swarm of zombies coming at you- and you having a bat and knocking the living daylights out of them. In Dead Island, you can do that. You will have firearms in dead island- but they are very rare, and should be used sparingly, some people complained about this- and some people should really look into the game before buying something dont like, and giving it a low rating. But- to say the least, the combat system is perfect, the world is just GIGANTIC. There's so much to see and explore, it's ridiculous. You can even upgrade your weapons, and mod them- to make them your own. This game is really something special when it comes to the weapons, to say the least, you wont be disappointed in the gameplay department.

Sound- 9

This game wins in the sound department, everything from the zombie sounds is very well executed. At times- I was actually listening for the zombies, and the game managed to scare me with the sounds a few times. Well done Techland.

Enjoyment. 8.5
    I'd have to say, you're going to have a blast, just trust me. Coop is really fun.

Overall- 9
    This game is very well done, it's different than the RPGs we see these days, and should be enjoyable for most.
  19. Sep 17, 2011
    Great game. It's fun to kill zombies by baseball. Espiecially Co-OP. LOVE IT:)

Great game. It's fun to kill zombies by baseball. Espiecially Co-OP. LOVE IT:)

Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombie survival horror with item collection and character skill advancement trees. Its as If Borderlands and Dead Rising got together and had a baby, that baby would be dead Island. This game has rich four player co-op, simple yet effective story, a deep weapon crafting and character customization system. Do you love zombies? Exploration? character advancement? item collections? co-op? then dead Island is a no brain-er. The only reason this game doesn't get a ten is due to a slightly bugged user interface that should be fixed this week with a patch. I would like to add that Dead Island on a high end pc is the ultimate zombie killing experience. This version has no texture loading issues, great control and much better graphics over all.
  20. Sep 17, 2011
    A very immersive game with great combat mechanics and a lots of customisation for you character and his weapons . Graphism are realistic and zombies looks like real ones so you will be scared by a horde of them screaming all around you ! A must buy if you like to slaughter zombies and rescue people . The story could have been a lot better but the game will haunt you for dozens of hours ...
  21. Sep 18, 2011
    just to get one thing straight i DONT give high or low scores to balance out others(which is stupid) so when i say 9 i mean 9. This game started out with a lot of bugs but they have been working hard and fix the major ones. as far as the game goes it was very well done but where it really shines is the co-op. the co-op is not only fun but was done very well, when you have others with youjust to get one thing straight i DONT give high or low scores to balance out others(which is stupid) so when i say 9 i mean 9. This game started out with a lot of bugs but they have been working hard and fix the major ones. as far as the game goes it was very well done but where it really shines is the co-op. the co-op is not only fun but was done very well, when you have others with you there are sightly more special zombies and my favorite is the loot scales. so if you are a higher level and you are helping your lower level friend you can still get useful stuff for you! Overall its a fun game with good combat, rpg, and co-op. Expand
  22. Oct 6, 2011
    Probably the best zombie game to date, with added RPG elements and online play, whats not to love. The first instance you find yourself with another player is when the comedy kicks in, theres hours of fun to be had in groups and even the solo play is rewarding. DLC's to be expected and can only make this title even greater. Recommended
  23. Oct 8, 2011
    A fantastically enjoyable romp through a zombie-infested island. This game is incredibly fun alone, and with others, everything just clicks. Melee combat is implemented well and surprisingly, gun combat is even more fun. Probably the goriest game today - every model has a full three layers: bone, muscles, and flesh. There is no present story, but agree with me when I say this - when youA fantastically enjoyable romp through a zombie-infested island. This game is incredibly fun alone, and with others, everything just clicks. Melee combat is implemented well and surprisingly, gun combat is even more fun. Probably the goriest game today - every model has a full three layers: bone, muscles, and flesh. There is no present story, but agree with me when I say this - when you want to get a zombie survival game, what will you expect to be DOING? Surviving! The lack of story does not bother me. The environments are beautiful, and so are the models. However, there are only two cons I can think of.

1: All characters have botox faces and are not well-animated. (better than common characters used in Deus Ex: Revolution though)

2: There is no excuse as to why your mouse has to be permanently at a very slow speed when using a menu or the inventory.
  24. Nov 2, 2011
    after i saw everything i have to change my first review.
    now the worst bugs are patched, some still remain untouched.
    but, even with some bugs, (dissapearing weapons, texture failures,...) this is a great game. the gaming world is very large, you have a lot of enemies to fight, especially after the 2nd chapter. the missions are okay, the story and the ending look like there will be a
    after i saw everything i have to change my first review.
    now the worst bugs are patched, some still remain untouched.

the gaming world is very large, you have a lot of enemies to fight, especially after the 2nd chapter. the missions are okay, the story and the ending look like there will be a sequel.
    the sound effects are nice, the graphics very detailed.- especially the water, the enemies and the nature. sadly the gaphics are missing some reflections, but probably on purpose to make the game playable, even on slower systems.

if you dont feel like doing missions, you can just walk arround hours over hours, kill tons of zombies, with help of many different (craftable) weapons.

you can play the campain alone or with 3 friends in coop, really alot of fun.

50â
  25. Nov 10, 2011
    Sandbox environment is always a plus, and Dead Island doesnt disappoint. The greatest feature is the coop that can be played with friends on your own game or their game. This is seriously the best use of co-op ive ever seen and a really hope many other games follow suit. The game can be fairly difficult at times and frustrating without a partner, but is definitely worth buying if you haveSandbox environment is always a plus, and Dead Island doesnt disappoint. The greatest feature is the coop that can be played with friends on your own game or their game. This is seriously the best use of co-op ive ever seen and a really hope many other games follow suit. The game can be fairly difficult at times and frustrating without a partner, but is definitely worth buying if you have a dedicated teammate that will play with you. Just falls short of perfect, but is a very enjoyable RPG. Expand
  26. Jan 6, 2012
    Well I first got this game in September 2011 shortly after it was released and played if for about 10 hours. I then left it and came back to it at the beginning of 2012 and then saw what an amazing game it was...addictive...emotional...amazing. I really can't explain how real it feels to be in Banoi, the city. You really do feel like you are there and it really is the end of the world.
    I
    I can't stop playing it now and I can guarantee you will feel the emotional side of this game by the end.
    All I can say is buy it now! You don't know what you're missing.
  27. Dec 26, 2011
    Wow, where to begin, a simply amazing game that is a MUST get for zombie lovers, the sheer horror you experience when you see the undead feasting as you wander the streets of dead island, with flimsy weapons and a small cardio tank, you will always be on edge while playing this game whether you are running from a horde of infected or battling against a swarm of walkers, this gameWow, where to begin, a simply amazing game that is a MUST get for zombie lovers, the sheer horror you experience when you see the undead feasting as you wander the streets of dead island, with flimsy weapons and a small cardio tank, you will always be on edge while playing this game whether you are running from a horde of infected or battling against a swarm of walkers, this game capatilizes and delivers on everything i expected and more. There is no loading screens between you and the zombies i must add (such as dead rising) as soon as you open the door to the outside world the zombies are there and ready, this game is the definition of the survival horror genre, and even if you are not a zombie lover you will still enjoy this game, a must buy. Expand
  28. Dec 30, 2011
    Zombie mashing at it's best. If you like zombies, this game delivers. The combat is exciting and multiplayer makes it even more entertaining. I've got nothing bad to say about this game.
  29. Jan 5, 2012
    This is simply the maximum that people who loves zombies wants. Bugs, glitches and no clips were fixed, graphic is not like a film, but like REAL. Game-play is higher to others for fighting and moving liberty. The sound is so perfect...nothing to say. In the other games, the zombies are only animated forms, but in Dead Island the zombies have bones, muscles, tendons, skin...you can cutThis is simply the maximum that people who loves zombies wants. Bugs, glitches and no clips were fixed, graphic is not like a film, but like REAL. Game-play is higher to others for fighting and moving liberty. The sound is so perfect...nothing to say. In the other games, the zombies are only animated forms, but in Dead Island the zombies have bones, muscles, tendons, skin...you can cut some parts or break some bone, or smash the ribs and you can see inside. If you love zombies this is the game for you. If you love to buy games, you MUST buy this! Expand
  30. Sep 15, 2011
    The only reason I don't give this game a 10/10 which it deserves gameplay and atmosphere-wise is the bugs constantly pestering this game. control randomly freezes, cannot escape machinegun nests, graphical artefacts and so on. Even though this game is riddled with bugs, the funness of the coop experience and the satisfaction of getting hefty rewards for quests comes triumphant over theThe only reason I don't give this game a 10/10 which it deserves gameplay and atmosphere-wise is the bugs constantly pestering this game. control randomly freezes, cannot escape machinegun nests, graphical artefacts and so on. Even though this game is riddled with bugs, the funness of the coop experience and the satisfaction of getting hefty rewards for quests comes triumphant over the bugs and glitches. I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys coop games, anyone who enjoys rpg games and to anyone who enjoys fps games. this game really is the best of both worlds. Expand
  31. MB_
    Oct 10, 2011
    This review is for the AK47s For All version of Dead Island. Unless you are a profound geek you do not want to play this game without that mod. Just google "AK47 FOR EVERYONE MOD v4.0" and you can transform this game from a scouring baggage sim to a jolly fine blood bath. I also used the 'Dead Island Helper' to remove some of the silly bloom fx and over saturation. With those two thingsThis review is for the AK47s For All version of Dead Island. Unless you are a profound geek you do not want to play this game without that mod. Just google "AK47 FOR EVERYONE MOD v4.0" and you can transform this game from a scouring baggage sim to a jolly fine blood bath. I also used the 'Dead Island Helper' to remove some of the silly bloom fx and over saturation. With those two things and removing XP/hit point messages this game becomes so much more fun.

Loads of varied missions, massive maps, great graphics, loads of fun. I not only have recommended it to friends I bought it for them. No joke. It's great.

Please remember though that the first few chapters are all about doing bog standard things like learning driving and navigation and using the shops. Oh and that if you don't play with the mod you will have a much more boring and laborious time.

Have fun!
  32. Sep 19, 2011
    a brilliant zombie game, which deals with the survival of an apocalypse, not the slaughter of the undead. while combat can be a tad tricky, keeping an eye on different things "stamina, health, enemy health, weapon condition) it is rewarding every time you take down an enemy, and while nearly all missions are collect X and come back, they are very varied.
    as for the variety of weapons, they
    as for the variety of weapons, they all have their pros and cons, and it can be tricky to find out what is better at what.
    while it did suffer with the first week (steam release) problems those were, and still are being overcome, (but some are still a bit prominent (my biggest gripe is the inability to launch the game with no internet connection)) i feel confident that techland will see these bug fixes through, and i await a dead island 2
  33. Sep 20, 2011
    tl;dr: In a nut shell, Dead Island is like playing Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, and a touch of Condemned all at the same time. Some of the bells and whistles that give each of those individual games part of their charm is absent, but concocted together like this makes for a completely unique, innovative experience. Despite the odd glitch or two, Dead Island is a solid entry intl;dr: In a nut shell, Dead Island is like playing Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, and a touch of Condemned all at the same time. Some of the bells and whistles that give each of those individual games part of their charm is absent, but concocted together like this makes for a completely unique, innovative experience. Despite the odd glitch or two, Dead Island is a solid entry in the zombie genre that deserves its place among the greats.

If you're a cynical, jaded, veteran gamer, then like me, you sincerely had no expectations for Dead Island. Well you may have if you saw that exceptional pre-release trailer, but then Deep Silver producer Sebastian Reichert dashed all hopes when he made it a point to say that it was not reflective of actual gameplay, but merely meant to set a tone. After underestimating the deadliness of my first zombie encounter, and consequently getting annihilated, I'd say he has it all wrong. Unlike the zombies in Dead Rising that prove to be little more than road hazards, Dead Island zombies are comparatively terrifying. Slip up your guard once when you're surrounded and you're likely to become zombie chow. Not only that, but al a Condemned 2, once you do finally get your hands on a gun, good luck finding ammunition. Although it becomes much less scarce later near the end of the campaign, you will never feel like a double ammo-belt wearing, gun toting, killing machine. Alone or with friends, the tension you feel in knowing this remains constant. What more could a zombie apocalypse game fan ask for?

Amazingly enough, I could go on, but between drop in and drop out online co-op that works just as well as either Left for Dead game, as well as modifiable/upgradeable/repairable weapons, why are you even still reading this? Go buy it.

Before you do though, I should mention one teansy little problem. Although none of the bugs in this game are deal-breakers, there are enough of them to warrant a point deduction. My hope though is that this game is very successful and that a proper sequel with all the necessary improvements wont be far behind.
  34. Sep 20, 2011
    I'm 20 hours in and loving this. The combat doesn't dissapoint, the looting is even more addictive than in Borderlands, the graphics are up to standards, and the interesting environment makes the sidequests (which are basicly fetching, or going to touch a button) worth it.

Surprise hit of the year, for me. Thumbs up.
  35. Sep 13, 2011
    Great Zombie game...I never got bored playing and I had played hours and hours without pause...Excellent combat system :) Better than left 4 dead I and II...I'm playing till the end
  36. Sep 13, 2011
    I like open world games, i like weapon crafting, i lke to become more powerful while i play and i like zombies. To sum it up, i absolutely love dead island. I've played 27 hours so far and no bug since now (uk release). Some moments in game made my jaw drop down, like the strange noises near the huge hotel and the noises in the city. Had to shiver when i remember these moments. Best gameI like open world games, i like weapon crafting, i lke to become more powerful while i play and i like zombies. To sum it up, i absolutely love dead island. I've played 27 hours so far and no bug since now (uk release). Some moments in game made my jaw drop down, like the strange noises near the huge hotel and the noises in the city. Had to shiver when i remember these moments. Best game so far in this genre. Expand
  37. Sep 14, 2011
    So this game had really many problem when it launched and still has but regardless its does what it wants to do really well a action rpg with manymany quests and a brilliant coop (if it works) :P
    At first I thought man that game sucks but after I got a few hours into it I really started to love it and by now its my most favourite Coop experiance so far.
    So if you are into zombies splatter
    So if you are into zombies splatter gore and with some rpg elements you will love that game and the best part...you can bring your friends with you
  38. Jan 4, 2012
    Very good polish action/RPG/FPP/survival horror game, that presents a new approach to zombie topic. Combining zombies and tropic island theme (which are contrasting with each other) was very good idea.

PROS: * very nice graphic * RPG elements * fight system * weapon crafting and modding * good plot * open world * great game-play CONS: * lots of bugs on release day * flat main characters

PROS:
    * very nice graphic
    * RPG elements
    * fight system
    * weapon crafting and modding
    * good plot
    * open world
    * great game-play

CONS: * lots of bugs on release day
    * flat main characters
    * driving a car is difficult as hell
    * game saving system
    * and again: lots of bugs!
  39. Dec 24, 2011
    The low scores on here made me laugh!!....anyways this has to be one of the best zombie games out here at the moment, ignore the **** in other reviews the game runs perfectly fine, nice and smooth, amazing graphics and storyline, very addictive to play through in single player and then theres the co-op!
  40. Sep 11, 2011
    This is the best Zombie game ever made, any Zombie fan wants this game, yes its very like Fallout 3 but I remember when playing FO3 i thought to myself, ''wouldnt it be great if they made a zombie game like FO3''. Left 4 Dead was all we had before this but for real zombie fans L4D was a let down, Left 4 dead could have had Aliens or Monsters and it would be the same game, Zombies spawningThis is the best Zombie game ever made, any Zombie fan wants this game, yes its very like Fallout 3 but I remember when playing FO3 i thought to myself, ''wouldnt it be great if they made a zombie game like FO3''. Left 4 Dead was all we had before this but for real zombie fans L4D was a let down, Left 4 dead could have had Aliens or Monsters and it would be the same game, Zombies spawning out of nowhere sucks but that aside left for dead had alot to offer as a multiplayer action game, saying that Dead Island its very similar to L4D in multiplayer. **** dead island is very similar to Resident Evil 4-5, Olbivion, fallout, farcry 2. its like the Dev's played all these games and made the perfect Zombie game from them, not very original but who cares. The only problem is now we have the perfect zombie game, Zombies are starting to get boring and over done in games and movies, yes it has bugs but nothing too bad that cant be fixed over time, I can see scores going up over time and a possible GOTY nomination. this game is on par with Deus ex and the Witcher 2 for best game of the year. It is a must buy if you love zombies, rpgs and survival horror. The almost perfect mix if not a little too late. Expand
  41. Sep 16, 2011
    Just finished this game with the girlfriend. We had an absolute blast decapitating, running over, electrocuting, torching, exploding, dissolving and repeatedly kicking to death every zombie that dared to get in our way. The reported bugs didn't touch us, and with the most solid melee combat system since Dark Messiah this is what I had hoped L4D was going to be. The game is mostly melee,Just finished this game with the girlfriend. We had an absolute blast decapitating, running over, electrocuting, torching, exploding, dissolving and repeatedly kicking to death every zombie that dared to get in our way. The reported bugs didn't touch us, and with the most solid melee combat system since Dark Messiah this is what I had hoped L4D was going to be. The game is mostly melee, with the throwing and gun characters being able to exclusively use range only late in the game.

Going to replay through again with friends, what i hope they add is more levels and gear, but most of all a way to reset your skills would be great.

Was great hearing some Aussie accents and name dropping in an AAA title, even if it was over the top. Borderlands meets Dead rising, my favourite game so far this year.
  42. Sep 15, 2011
    Don't let the crybabies scare you off! The people that keep giving this game low marks for being buggy are doing the gaming community a disservice - this is a great game. Nobody likes buggy game play but the bugs will get fixed. I read Metacritic specifically to compare the user and critic reviews. I donâ
  43. Sep 16, 2011
    Based on what I've seen, Dead Island looks like a game with amazing graphics, scary looking zombies and views that look like post cards. (My brother owns a copy, I was watching him playing it.)

I'm undecided on whether to play or not, but I'd like to think I would play it.. eventually. I like zombies. I'm a huge fan of the Left 4 Dead games. When I saw the Dead Island trailer, where the little girl turns into a zombie, I thought "wow, this looks beautiful. This trailer is so sad."

Although I can't give Dead Island an official score, I'll give it a ten. Until I've played it.
  44. Nov 7, 2011
    After seeing all the negative reviews I had to put in my two cents. I think this game is fabulous! Dead Island is what I wanted l4d to be. I think what really makes this game work is the close hand to hand combat. When a horde of dead are chasing you down, you can't just turn around and shoot them with your machine gun. (at least at the beginning of the game) You actually have toAfter seeing all the negative reviews I had to put in my two cents. I think this game is fabulous! Dead Island is what I wanted l4d to be. I think what really makes this game work is the close hand to hand combat. When a horde of dead are chasing you down, you can't just turn around and shoot them with your machine gun. (at least at the beginning of the game) You actually have to face them at close range and crack each and everyone of them over the head with a bat. it really gets the adrenaline going! I find myself constantly looking around anytime I hear a zombie scream thinking they're going to chase me down around every corner. And do you ever get sick of bashing or slicing into a zombie? NO!

The other thing I love is the open world environment. I am a huge fan of Just Cause 2 and I get the same feeling in Dead Island to an extent. Being able to go where you want and do what you want is great. You don't get that linear feel like many fps games. Sure, the story isn't great but who gives a rats! Part of the fun is doing all the side quests. So what if Paco wants you to go and get a picture of his daughter and bring it back to him, or if Susan want's to know if her sister is dead or alive. Just Do It!
    (Plus you get cool stuff for completing the side quests.)

If you're on the fence about playing this game, don't be. Don't listen to all the negative reviews, they're just nit picking. Just play it and see for yourself.
  45. Apr 17, 2012
    Dead island is a fun game, but unfortunately the game is a console port, it works. It's a little bit buggy sometimes, I spawn like half way across the map and yeah... When this game first came out a week afterwards there was no push to talk key so you could hear everything on that persons mic which was stupid. But then Deep Silver grew a brain cell and thought oh! we should add it now! ButDead island is a fun game, but unfortunately the game is a console port, it works. It's a little bit buggy sometimes, I spawn like half way across the map and yeah... When this game first came out a week afterwards there was no push to talk key so you could hear everything on that persons mic which was stupid. But then Deep Silver grew a brain cell and thought oh! we should add it now! But there is no anti-aliasing which makes the game look terrible. The bloom is a bit over done, and there needs to be more options. Such as POV and shadows (not that I had a problem with pov) but some people did. It really is a shame they rushed this because it could had been a much better game. I love the beach map, it makes me feel like I'm there. The quests are ok, get this, come back, do this, come back etc. It's good fun. But this game could had been better. Expand
  46. Dec 26, 2012
    Un jeu un peut difficile à comprendre au début, mais après quelque mission on assimile le fonctionnement et le jeu devient très intéressant. Assez long niveau durée de jeu, seul bémol pour moi c'est le multi qui s'active automatiquement et je suis plutôt un joueur solo. Sinon cela reste un bon jeu et sans problème en tout casUn jeu un peut difficile à comprendre au début, mais après quelque mission on assimile le fonctionnement et le jeu devient très intéressant. Assez long niveau durée de jeu, seul bémol pour moi c'est le multi qui s'active automatiquement et je suis plutôt un joueur solo. Sinon cela reste un bon jeu et sans problème en tout cas sous Steam, pas de bug. Expand
  47. Oct 8, 2011
    After having played this game for dozens of hours now both in single and multiplayer I can safely say it is the most fun I have had gaming in a long time. I have been gaming since the Commodore 64 days and it takes something a bit special to pique my interest these days. Dead Island was this game. Fairly derivative, true, but it combines all the elements so well. The story isn't going toAfter having played this game for dozens of hours now both in single and multiplayer I can safely say it is the most fun I have had gaming in a long time. I have been gaming since the Commodore 64 days and it takes something a bit special to pique my interest these days. Dead Island was this game. Fairly derivative, true, but it combines all the elements so well. The story isn't going to win it any awards but it doesn't need to. It is simply a tool for pushing you forward to the next beautifully detailed area. Single player tends towards a paranoia inducing survival game - having you jump out of your seat every time you get set upon by some unsuspected shamblers. Multiplayer I think of almost as a thug simulator; your group charging around smashing the heads of everything in sight. It is a great fun romp and pretty to boot. Is it perfect? No. But it is tremendous fun and highly replayable. 10/10 for being the most fun I have had playing a game in ages. Expand
  48. Apr 27, 2012
    I must admit, against all negative reviews, i like this game. Not only because, it's polish game. Mostly because of very detailed and open world, simple but interesting plot, 100% steam integration ( VAC, co-op, achievements, steam cloud ) and elements of an RPG. As usual, there are some minor bugs, graphical mostly, but still, game runs smooth. Pure fun.
  49. Oct 4, 2011
    Personally, I haven't seen much of these problems that people use as the driving force behind the negative reviews. The only problem I have is the fact that this game is unforgiving. Unforgiving, however, in a good way. I feel that if I get rushed by zombies, I need to pull something out of my ass to survive, and typically, it doesn't work out. This game feels like true Zombie SURVIVAL,Personally, I haven't seen much of these problems that people use as the driving force behind the negative reviews. The only problem I have is the fact that this game is unforgiving. Unforgiving, however, in a good way. I feel that if I get rushed by zombies, I need to pull something out of my ass to survive, and typically, it doesn't work out. This game feels like true Zombie SURVIVAL, and that's the thing that this genre really needed to refresh it. 8/10 Expand
  50. Sep 24, 2011
    Welcome to Dead Island! Please enjoy your stay on our scenic (if some what glitchy) tropical island. A few comments I want to make about the game; one it's glitchy - you can and will fall into scenery from time to time, or in between objects and get stuck. Occasionally sprinting zombies will phase through closed doors, and sometimes you will fall off ladders because you passed too close toWelcome to Dead Island! Please enjoy your stay on our scenic (if some what glitchy) tropical island. A few comments I want to make about the game; one it's glitchy - you can and will fall into scenery from time to time, or in between objects and get stuck. Occasionally sprinting zombies will phase through closed doors, and sometimes you will fall off ladders because you passed too close to another object. On the brightside, reloading from the last checkpoint doesn't change anything on your character. You keep all items, experience and durability - for better or worse.

Two; the story is shallow and so is the voice acting. The main characters all have fairly solid voice acting, but every supporting character sounds like an archetype, especially the Australian accents which sound right out of Crocodile Dundee 2. Three; the combat is clumsy. Every character feels like they are drunk and it is hard to tell exactly at what angle you should be spamming attack at to get the most hits off on a zombie before your character starts clumsily trying to adjust for proximity to target.

Four; great visuals... so long as you don't look too hard. Ditto, the sound effects. You see everything is gorgeous, it's not Crysis gorgeous, or even Farcry 2 pretty, but it's magnificent. The problem is that there is texture ripping, you will see weapon reflections in the water distort, or water effects disappear in blood filled pools. It's a problem. As for the sound, it's possible that maybe my speaker setup isn't ideal, but all too often the screaming of the flesh-hungry infected doesn't correspond with where they are actually located.

Five; lack of killer instinct. A small complaint, but Left 4 Dead zombies weren't afraid to put the boot in when you went down, Dead Island zombies knock you down and proceed to leave you be... until you stand up again. More punishment please, make me more scared to get into combat.

But stay with me here; these three things do NOT hinder the game in the least, they are things that can be fixed later on or with mods. What matters here is the ATMOSPHERE, and this game has an unlimited supply of it. From the minute you escape the hotel, to your first fight on the beach, you will be awed by the beauty of the game, from the way arms and legs break, to your first head splatter or decapitation kill on a zombie. Combat, while clunky feels good when you land a blow. A sledgehammer to the head knocks zombies on their ass, while to the arm likely breaks it and forces the zombie to attack with the other arm - and if that goes, headbutting and biting you instead.

When you finally get a firearm, late into the game you will hoard your limited ammo and save it for your human antagonists who, like yourself, are much more sensitive to a bullet in the brain pan than even the zombies. This game is all about melee and thrown weapons and it works in it's own special way, because it makes you fear getting surrounded or surprised, you worry about hordes of zombies and you will panic when you hear and then see your first infected screaming and sprinting at you. All weapons have stats, durability and are randomly generated, they can be upgraded, modded and otherwise improved. This gives the game longevity, especially when combined with the Borderlands-esque levelling and skill progression system. Finally, co-op. Just like Borderlands it's drop in/drop out, you get to keep all your loot and experience, as well as quest progress - provided you're close enough in level to the person you are playing with. All in all this is a game well worth getting, even with it's many flaws, if only for the satisfyingly visceral combat and tense atmosphere.
  51. Sep 25, 2011
    Awesome game, especially for someone who has friends to play it with. Really nice graphics and logical controls, not like many of those console ports offer today. Well, maybe menu is a little weird to operate at times, but nothing major. The big plus is length and difficulty level. It's really hard sometimes to play it solo, and even with friends. Prepare to die a lot if you're not payingAwesome game, especially for someone who has friends to play it with. Really nice graphics and logical controls, not like many of those console ports offer today. Well, maybe menu is a little weird to operate at times, but nothing major. The big plus is length and difficulty level. It's really hard sometimes to play it solo, and even with friends. Prepare to die a lot if you're not paying attention. Also game length is awesome. There are many side quests, random events and places to explore. Some people say there are technical issues. I didn't experience any. MUST HAVE FOR EVERY ZOMBIE FAN Expand
  52. Sep 22, 2011
    This game near classic but some bad decisions can make u mad.Like u can see all characters in cut scenes even you're playing single.That made me choose to skip all cut scenes.I were alone but after 1 sec i were swarmed with NPCs like i playing coop in cut scenes.And auto equip could be enabled or disabled in options menu.A few times i were attacking with alcohol bottle in my hand becauseThis game near classic but some bad decisions can make u mad.Like u can see all characters in cut scenes even you're playing single.That made me choose to skip all cut scenes.I were alone but after 1 sec i were swarmed with NPCs like i playing coop in cut scenes.And auto equip could be enabled or disabled in options menu.A few times i were attacking with alcohol bottle in my hand because of this. Expand
  53. Sep 25, 2011
    I want to start this off by saying Dead Island is an amazing game.
    Somehow it was put on for public execution when it had a rough release.
    I also want to add -- I had no problems technically with this game!! The bugs everyone complained about - for the last 3 weeks of playing this game I have only encountered one (1) bug and I can't even remember what it was. Also many games have the
    I want to start this off by saying Dead Island is an amazing game.
    Somehow it was put on for public execution when it had a rough release.

I also want to add -- I had no problems technically with this game!!

Also many games have the same troubles when they launch. I think its ridiculous that Dead Island should be scourged for it and every other game skids by with no comment on its launching problems...

ANYWAYS!

From the get-go you start off alone, and in the middle of a mysterious zombie outbreak. The ambiance and environment your set it does a great job of unsettling you. Walking through a deserted hotel with nothing but the sounds of zombies groaning in the background takes me back to the good old scary experiences i had when i first loaded up Resident Evil 2 and felt like i was trapped in a horrifying city of zombies. Dead Island does a great job of selling the scene.

The graphics are outstanding. Ive seen some other reviewers/critics dis the graphics and call them rough and low resolution and I have to question which rig they were using. Because Dead Island is on par with games like Crysis 2, better graphics than COD:Black Ops, and also on par with BFBC2. But I must say they are used much differently. Lighting plays a big factor. The sun will break through the leaves on palm trees. Debris will float through the air. Lots of detail has been put into the game graphics wise. Those who are downing the graphics either need a better computer, or need their eyes checked. The graphics are just fine and look great set on High Settings.

Sound wise the game is decked out with the oh-so appropriate tension music. Background noises of zombies groaning, screaming, gunshots very rarely firing off. Its what you would imagine it would sound like. Unfortunately it does suffer from -some- poor voice acting. Gameplay. Its zombie survival meets RPG. You are forced to find many makeshift melee weapons as overtime these weapons will break and become useless to you. In the beginning of the game this is most noticed as most of the weapons you start with are just like the crappy dropped weapons you find at level 1 in Diablo II. But as you make your way through the game, pop open some weapons crates and find crafting recipes via sidequests you go from using a cracked boat oar to using a baseball bat with a motorized circular saw on the top of it. Your given the option of repairing, upgrading and crafting your weapons. NPCs in the game will also sell/buy any items weapons.

Weapons can also be thrown for extra damage. This is important strategy as sometimes you will face superior infected zombies that are not phased as easily. But throwing a heavy crowbar to the face will knock them down in their tracks so you can more easily engage the NEXT zombie currently charging at you. A simple kick action is also added to your arsenal for knocking zombies back providing you more space to work. its best worked to kick 1 or 2 down at a time to work on a 3rd opponent more easily. To go with the RPG side you can upgrade your skills to make your kicks more deadly or even crush the skull of a fallen zombie for an instant kill. Easily preserving your melee weapons so they don't suffer wear and tear as quickly.

Guns in game are rare, and so is ammunition. Best saved when you will end up fighting non-zombie looters who are taking advantage of the Dead Island. But do some in handy against a horde of zombies when you are injured and outnumbered. Much like all zombie games there are special types of zombies. Yes they are similar to the ones in Left 4 Dead. But i wouldn't call it a total rip off. I think there's just a general of idea of zombie scenarios that works and both L4D and DI have adopted the idea as the best one. That said, it doesn't take away from the game. They are all placed perfectly to challenge you. One zombie by itself is hard to kill. A special infected in a horde will cause you to consider your weapons, environment, and a backup plan and escape route. Your enemies are very effective at making you question your situation.

RPG gameplay is set to standard. Kill zombies = exp. Quests = exp. Exp = skill points for talent trees and extra life. To save my text limit I'll simply say the RPG system is perfect. The storyline is more based around the mystery of the outbreak and trying to survive. Hidden recordings tell a haunting story of a reporter investigating the island and beg to be found to know what happens next. simply awesome.

Multiplayer allows for an awesome drop-in/drop-out experience. Using either a lobby or simply picking up other users near the same part of the game as you. Very effective.

In short conclusion. Do NOT believe the trigger happy critics. Dead Island is an awesome survival horror RPG with solid multi-player. 9/10.
  54. Sep 27, 2011
    This game is pretty good, but not great. The reason I'm giving such a decent score is because I am a massive fan of zombie games. I'll keep it short and I'm not going to be as long winded and critical as some people.. anyway, the game scenery is great. The combat is well done, although I wish there was a stronger gun focus (melee is good but there is a lot of it). The customization ofThis game is pretty good, but not great. The reason I'm giving such a decent score is because I am a massive fan of zombie games. I'll keep it short and I'm not going to be as long winded and critical as some people.. anyway, the game scenery is great. The combat is well done, although I wish there was a stronger gun focus (melee is good but there is a lot of it). The customization of weapons is pretty decent even if the weapons wear down fairly quickly. The game is definitely worth getting if you like zombie games.. it focuses on being as realistic as a zombie game can get (receiving high damage and getting knocked over constantly) and if quite addictive to play. Expand
  55. Sep 28, 2011
    This is one of the better games I've ever played. I'm typically a FPS mouse/keyboard gamer, but this one is perfection using a XBox360 controller on a 50" TV on a high-end system. I have played it since a week after release, and have had nearly zero issues. I did have to turn on vsync to keep the tearing down, and it now runs silky smooth. I really enjoy the open world feel, and is aThis is one of the better games I've ever played. I'm typically a FPS mouse/keyboard gamer, but this one is perfection using a XBox360 controller on a 50" TV on a high-end system. I have played it since a week after release, and have had nearly zero issues. I did have to turn on vsync to keep the tearing down, and it now runs silky smooth. I really enjoy the open world feel, and is a welcome change from linear shooters. Brilliant game! Yes some people may have issues but I have had none. I honestly have no clue how anyone can claim this game appears rushed, as it has meticulous details throughout. I am burning untold hours on this game. It definitely has playthrough value! Expand
  56. Dec 25, 2012
    Ive only played the shooter chick and found the game rewarding. The best part of the game for me is the death animations of the enemies. I played a lot of Left 4 Dead 2 censored and still enjoyed it and looking back now and I wonder what I missed out on now that I'm enjoying Dead Island with all its gore enabled.

The monsters are okay, there are special infected but when you learn the

The monsters are okay, there are special infected but when you learn the type of elemental attack each one doesn't like you can dispatch them pretty quickly. Monster standing in water = electrical attack, and so on.

One of the odd things that strike me about DI is the scaling of character levels. What I mean is how monsters scale with you to the point that leveling up almost seems pointless. You don't seem to get a great deal more powerful because of this, in fact if weren't for a few entertaining skills and items it would be completely pointless. This for me is a drawback but not a game killer. I like to feel that I'm getting more powerful and I thought this game could have done a better job at that.

There are 4 Acts to this game which really need to be explored and largely can be while performing many and I mean a **** tonne of the games side quests. I can see the side quests being the largest negative for many people as they are almost all fetch quest which gets very tiresome. But the maps are very well done which I really enjoyed exploring and its worth playing thru to at least the jungle (Act 3) just to see what I mean.

One of the big positive for me in this game has to be the itemization. I love good itemization and I think this one has it. There isn't any real reason to care about the quality (exceptional item) of an item rather the prefix to its name is what really matters. The crafting system called mods is pretty cool and keeps me looking for more items to tinker with. Crafted items have some pretty nifty death animations too which has been, well alright I guess. I just enjoy getting those criticals rolling out in succession and watching the **** burn. xD

*spoiler* And that's pretty much it except to say there is a final boss battle and its pure lame crap. Its some dude that's a kind of cross between 2 special monsters, whoop diddy do and I thought the story sucked but I've always preferred good characters to stories anyhow which this game is also short on.
  57. Mar 21, 2012
    I saw for first this game from a trailer where a little girl was dead on the floor and then went all backwords from the beggining where the family took a photograph which caught my attencion. I absolutly love this game, really, it just has fabulous graphics with such a great gameplay. The story is awesome where we can enjoy great enviroments with a great variety of weapons and characterI saw for first this game from a trailer where a little girl was dead on the floor and then went all backwords from the beggining where the family took a photograph which caught my attencion. I absolutly love this game, really, it just has fabulous graphics with such a great gameplay. The story is awesome where we can enjoy great enviroments with a great variety of weapons and character customization. Also the co-op which can add to 4 players adds the fun part of this game. I cant spot a single negative thing despite some soft bugs which is irrelevant. I recommend everyone to try this game, its really fun and entertaining and if you like zombies or watched Walking Dead then this is your game. Also the Ryder White DLC adds those missing pieces of the puzzle. Expand
  58. May 23, 2012
    Dead Island is a awsome zombie FPS, theres little i didnt like on it, the gameplay and graphics are amazing. The reason i give this game an 8 is because personally, i dislike weapons with durability. This game is like Left 4 Dead 2, but much better graphics. The online play isnt near on par with L4D2. The only problem is....durability, i HATE games with durability (yes you can repair theDead Island is a awsome zombie FPS, theres little i didnt like on it, the gameplay and graphics are amazing. The reason i give this game an 8 is because personally, i dislike weapons with durability. This game is like Left 4 Dead 2, but much better graphics. The online play isnt near on par with L4D2. The only problem is....durability, i HATE games with durability (yes you can repair the weapons, but its all so unnecessary, pointless, theres no reason for it unless you want to waste time in a game feeling like your doing something thats required but accomplishes nothing, and so...it loses 2 points for that, i dont like to waste time, just to kill zombies and have a good time. Anyways a really fun game, id reccomend it to anyone who likes zombie fps, it was well done. I just wish that durability didnt exist. (its my personal prefrence to not have anything in a game that just wastes time, i prefer all action, but thats just me) Expand
  59. Jun 3, 2012
    It's too bad metacritic won't let you view a rating within a time period, the current rating is highly weighed down by a faulty launch that they patched. Also lots of the negative ratings are about lack of guns... this is clearly a melee zombie smashing game. Even some recent review say bugs -- the game NEVER crashed on me once, rock solid.

On to the game. The scenery is spot on, you

On to the game. The scenery is spot on, you will never look at a resort the same, the hotels, bars, even the diving posters around the island look exactly like these places do, so much it's spooky. As you venture out into the jungle, the scenery maintains a high quality, you find yourself looking around the island... it's not the new Crysis graphics by any means, but it's very nice and well produced.
    I played this game single player and prefered it as such, only if you were going from beginning to end with certain / same people would I want to play multi. Random people joining online was a PITA, I felt most who joined my game were an unwelcome addition, luckily you can drop out easily.
    The end scene running through the dark corridors was so damn creepy, I hate it and love it. I felt such a sense of "GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!". I promise you won't leave the game until you beat it from that point because you'll feel haunted by it. That was the climax of the game for me. The storyline/cutscenes were a little cliche & fake, but that run through the hospital... damn. 15 hours of game play for me. Ideally I think they could have cut 3 hours out and it would have been better. I don't plan on playing the campaign again, the DLC arena looks like fun.
    The skill upgrade tree is fun. Weapons are not invincible and require maintenance (many people list this as a con, but I love it, added realism, added challenge when your weapons start failing). Weapon modification is fun.

Cons: Like many games you find yourself as the game's **** every quest is doing something for someone, you advance the game by doing 'quests' that you're asked to do, ironically you are given an option to take them, but have to say YES to advance in the game. Everyone needs your help, I hate that, give me MY mission MY way, let me tell them what to do or they can figure their own way off the island. There's no explanation of how inventory works, how rage works, some things are left for you to figure out (you may not know they're even there, review binded keys, btw if you have no MMB use "C" for your weapon changes). I still don't know how to read the weapon stats, what the numbers/symbols mean, I just know which ones I like (nail'd baseball bat FTW) and that work well.
    No save feature! You have to go until you reach a checkpoint, usually within 15 minutes.

Glitch: Your precious weapons can disappear!! I (once) threw all my weapons at a puker and as I went to pick them up, they disappeared with them!! Could not believe it. Restarted the checkpoint, then restarted the game, they were still missing. So be aware of this and DO NOT throw your favorite weapons.
    Also.. the rage is over powered, I beat the end boss within seconds by raging and running around him. It was over in a flash.
    No punishment for dying, you lose a little cash and get full health from where you died (so.. why use a health boost when you can just die and have full health in 2 seconds???). I've even had the game ADVANCE me when I died.

Summary: I think (hope!!) we'll see more dead island. I got this on the 66% off sale and it was worth it. For $15 or less, it's an instant buy. Full price... not sure, watch the youtube gameplay videos and if you like what you see you'll like the game. I will be buying the arena DLC because I just want to mindlessly smash zombies and not be the island's #1 go-to **** I think I'd enjoy that more and wish it was included.
  60. Feb 3, 2012
    Dead Island is a good game but not the best. Many zombies, many quest, large island to explore. If you love killing zombies, this game is for you! Luv it
  61. Feb 16, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game. I think it went a long way to bring back the intensity of horror games, by combining some traditional zombie elements with more fast paced mutant varieties, it gives a tense, panicky feel to a lot of the encounters. It is definitely more dead space than resident evil, having an almost pure action feel to it. Still, there are lots of moments of tension whenI really enjoyed this game. I think it went a long way to bring back the intensity of horror games, by combining some traditional zombie elements with more fast paced mutant varieties, it gives a tense, panicky feel to a lot of the encounters. It is definitely more dead space than resident evil, having an almost pure action feel to it. Still, there are lots of moments of tension when entering new areas, particularly when you're cramped in a dark hallway or narrow corridor and hear that piercing scream of something getting ready to charge you. The graphics are really beautiful, especially the first act. I loved just travelling through the picturesque resort and seeing everything created to the smallest detail, with gruesome additions. The blood filled pools were particularly effective. Weapon crafting, specialization and character customization make the journey much more dynamic, as you have more choice how to dispense with the zombie hordes. Combat is gory and satisfying, and i think it's an amazing acheivement. The story isn't as engaging as it could be, and the npc's seem wooden and uninteresting, they keep sending you on extremely tedious sidequests that only put off the main story. That's why i couldn't give this a full score. But beyond that, the best zombie game in years, and a top notch horror game in general. Expand
  62. Mar 31, 2012
    I loved the game,its very fun, with friends or no friends , is a big open world , it have 4 beutifal and huge maps,there is a lot things to do , sometimes it has some glitches , but who cares ! It runs very good on all computers , i have 2 computers (this) it is very good and has good graphics , and another it is very slow but it runs perfect ! Everithyng on High! No lag , If u have aI loved the game,its very fun, with friends or no friends , is a big open world , it have 4 beutifal and huge maps,there is a lot things to do , sometimes it has some glitches , but who cares ! It runs very good on all computers , i have 2 computers (this) it is very good and has good graphics , and another it is very slow but it runs perfect ! Everithyng on High! No lag , If u have a laggy pc it doesnt matter , Buy it! Very awsome game Expand
  63. Jun 3, 2012
    game is best ever i mean they should update it for pc version fix some of glitches they have but i love it entirely with in first 20 mins i lv up lv 9 and had 20k in cash from it from zombie
  64. Apr 22, 2012
    After a rough launch i can say this is an amazing zombie game, alone in a giant island, or in coop mode with your friends, be the one of the few to leave the infected island of Banoii, fight for your life and the one of your friends, enjoy the side quest missions and the various selection of weapons, enjoy the high graphic of the game, this probably will be game of the year.
  65. Jun 11, 2012
    DI is perfect in every way. It contains fascinating open world with amazing graphics, great close combat system and well-designed skill point developing, not mention but a few. After 70 hours of playing, I haven't found anything what fazes playing. Not happened before in my life.
  66. Jun 20, 2012
    This game is very cathartic. Chopping zombie heads off in slow motion is AWESOME. There comes a point later on where as the blade expert it is exactly like a samurai game and it's the best one I've played. The environments are great, the driving is fun, the missions varied. I played through on single player, it's easy to have strangers join up in your game, but I'm not so sure about addingThis game is very cathartic. Chopping zombie heads off in slow motion is AWESOME. There comes a point later on where as the blade expert it is exactly like a samurai game and it's the best one I've played. The environments are great, the driving is fun, the missions varied. I played through on single player, it's easy to have strangers join up in your game, but I'm not so sure about adding friends. The animations of other players aren't as good so in the end I preferred playing through single player to get a sense of when quests started and to be more challenging. Modding weapons is fun, and you wonder if you missed any designs. Cash didn't seem to be much of a problem. I'm about ready to play through again using a different Character to see what's different. Hammer time! Expand
  67. Jul 18, 2012
    Absolutely LOVED this game! At first I wasn't too thrilled with the "checkpoint" saving, but when I got over that the total fun began! One of many features you can do in this game is mods! Mod your weapons, make ammo, make weapons! Another is the story, was very nice. It was very different from other zombie games I have played before and enjoyed every minute of it...either it was just meAbsolutely LOVED this game! At first I wasn't too thrilled with the "checkpoint" saving, but when I got over that the total fun began! One of many features you can do in this game is mods! Mod your weapons, make ammo, make weapons! Another is the story, was very nice. It was very different from other zombie games I have played before and enjoyed every minute of it...either it was just me or with my buddies. Like all games it had its glitches here and there, but I just laughed and went on. Loved doing main story quests and having some side quests! Very great zombie game, if you love zombies you will like this game! Especially the awesome double-takes or slowmo's of when you chop there heads off! xD Expand
  68. Jul 19, 2012
    We as FPS gamers are on a downward slope - everything is getting more and more boring where AAA titles are OK and anything less we don't have the interest to finish. Dead island was one of the first games in a long time (since...Quake 3?) that I couldn't put down - literally played through the night without realizing it (THAT right there is the sign that a game is good). For what it'sWe as FPS gamers are on a downward slope - everything is getting more and more boring where AAA titles are OK and anything less we don't have the interest to finish. Dead island was one of the first games in a long time (since...Quake 3?) that I couldn't put down - literally played through the night without realizing it (THAT right there is the sign that a game is good). For what it's worth, use the (gasp) Xbox 360 controller on the PC and switch the aiming to analogue. I just loved slicing zombies heads off, curb stomping them and beating them to a pulp to the ground (and then some like a dirty street scrap). Had many memorable moments and jokes among my friends with the game. Only downside is that once your done the game you really don't want to play through it again (at least me)- but hey, I paid $39.99 for it and I don't regret it. Expand
  69. May 8, 2013
    This game has great potential, I like the open world RPG ,LvL system and skills, Crafting weapons its cool,the art work and world design are great! but I think that there is a unbalanced weapon system and there is so poor weapons to find in the world and a short variety for the ammo the same, if they fix that and put like x20 more Zombies and add something like chainsaws, M60This game has great potential, I like the open world RPG ,LvL system and skills, Crafting weapons its cool,the art work and world design are great! but I think that there is a unbalanced weapon system and there is so poor weapons to find in the world and a short variety for the ammo the same, if they fix that and put like x20 more Zombies and add something like chainsaws, M60 flamethrowers, etc, I would give an A+ and a 10 :D Expand
  70. Jul 19, 2013
    If you like zombies you can't go wrong. The survival horror feel of this game may possibly be the best I ever experienced. Smashing your way through zombies in first person with baseball bats and machetes just feels great. Some moments of the game are really intense and really made me feel that zombie survival couldn't be done any better than this game did it.
    Though this game does not
    Though this game does not shine in places like story or characters, it does not need to. The world and gameplay make up for it.
    My biggest complaint about this game is a serious issue with the throwing mechanic. If you do not play Logan, who specializes in throwing skills, you may never notice this at all. But occasionally, thrown weapons glitch out and vanish. After 60+ hours in the game, and spending my entire savings on fully upgraded and modded new weapons only to have them both vanish within 2 minutes of leaving town I rage quit for a few months.
  71. Apr 7, 2013
    This game is amazing. I've played through it singleplayer and both co-op. The co-op was the. Most fun with 4 players although 2 players was also good. An amazing open world game a lot of custumizable weapon selection, and fun (but repetitive) gameplay, this makes for a good experience. I can't wait for the sequel coming out this year.
  72. Sep 25, 2013
    All of my Romero fantasies rolled into one. There's no shopping mall, but the tone, atmosphere and level of immersion in Dead Island is incredible. Can get a little repetitive later on with the over-population of zombies in some areas, and some (not all) fetch-quests are somewhat boring, but excellent, bloody stuff nonetheless.
  73. Aug 21, 2012
    I will never understand how people can so virulently rail against a developer for releasing a game with bugs. Granted, this game had some huge ones on release day (I hear), the sad fact is that most games nowadays are released earlier than they should be, and have bugs/problems. While I agree this should never have become the norm, giving a game a 0-2 because of bugs that were resolvedI will never understand how people can so virulently rail against a developer for releasing a game with bugs. Granted, this game had some huge ones on release day (I hear), the sad fact is that most games nowadays are released earlier than they should be, and have bugs/problems. While I agree this should never have become the norm, giving a game a 0-2 because of bugs that were resolved within days is going to do nothing but lead potential future buyers away from purchasing a fantastic game that they would love. ********************************************************************************************************* That's exactly what this is: A fantastic game. People that were initially expecting the game to be like Dead Island or Left 4 Dead may be disappointed at first, but if they can look past their expectations, they will find a true gem. The closest actual comparison to this game is a zombie-themed Fallout 3 on a tropical island. Personally, I think this is by far the best zombie game on the market. Individual zombies are relatively weak and easy to pick off, but large groups of zombies become serious threats REALLY quickly, and larger "thug" enemies require some strategy to kill, rather than simply more bullets. At the same time, if you are reckless and swinging your weapon all over the place, you will run out of stamina, and even small groups will be challenging. I honestly think the combat is amazing, and is just about perfect, except for the fact that the characters' "kick" command (default button is E, I think) is a little overpowered, and it's easy to keep medium groups of zombies stunned on the ground by spamming it. If they nerfed it, though, the game might become too difficult. ************************************************************************************************************** Starting out in this game, be prepared to have crappy weapons that you need to repair all the time. It evens out later on, though, especially as you unlock other attacks. Case in point, I used to have 3 weapons that I needed to repair in every town visit, but by about level 16ish, I had 1 main weapon that only got down to about 50% durability, with less frequent town visits. This is a beautifully done, rock-solid (no crashes or glitches at all on my system), visceral zombie basher. It's DEFINITELY better with friends, but I even enjoy the single player campaign. If there were no release day issues, I firmly believe this game would have over an 8 user score. Expand
  74. Mar 28, 2013
    Dead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thingDead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thing about the game is the sense of wonder and amazement as you walk around a high-detailed island. Attention to detail is everywhere and it genuinely gives the player a sense of realism and the integrity of the world and it’s inhabitants.

In the game there are lots of weapons to use from Axes to Metal Pipes to Brass Knuckles and more. In fact there’s a larger emphasis on melee weapons than guns. There’s also a lot of scavenging, along with repairing and upgrading weapons.

There are a variety of zombies from slow ones, to fast ones and a few boss ones here and there. The quests are varied and the backstory is well written. Combat is solid and feels enjoyable, particularly when swinging a heavy object or using a bladed weapon.

You can learn a variety of new skills, the different ones vary with characters, including regenerative health and a ‘fury mode’ which is charged by killing zombies.

In the standard game, you will be using melee weapons for the majority of the time, but the DLC Ryder White’s Campaign does grant the player much more in terms of gunplay. Overall this is a great game and definitely worth it’s price.
  75. Jul 26, 2012
    Overall a fun experience, especially multiplayer despite a dodgy progression system. Only thing i disliked was the terrible voice acting and accents other than Sam B.
  76. Jan 25, 2013
    I played the goty Dead Island. I know nothing of how it was at release, what I know is how great this game is. Solid 100 hours of gameplay and satisfying action. Half horror half shooter. Its NOT an horror dedicated game but has its moments. Recommended.
  77. JEK
    Nov 24, 2012
    6.8 user score? Are you kidding me? This is one of my favorite games. Good scenery, good graphics( so-so), no problem with the controls, good story. You can brutally kill zombies with any weapons. It's open world and you can create your own weapon. If anybody 's complaining about the bugs you can easily fix it with some patches. But that's not right rating this game very low because you6.8 user score? Are you kidding me? This is one of my favorite games. Good scenery, good graphics( so-so), no problem with the controls, good story. You can brutally kill zombies with any weapons. It's open world and you can create your own weapon. If anybody 's complaining about the bugs you can easily fix it with some patches. But that's not right rating this game very low because you have problems installing it etc. This is 10/10 for me. I'm looking forward to Dead Island: Riptide. But for the meantime, I'm planning to buy Far Cry 3. Expand
  78. Jul 30, 2012
    Great co-op mode, really fun to play with a friend. Although I never found any critical bug there were some minor issues but they are already fixed. A must-have game if you like co-op mode and zombie plot.
  79. Aug 14, 2012
    Pros: Good graphics, fun melee combat, Borderlands-style weapon drops and class system, lots of quests and areas to explore. Cons: still buggy (August 2012) graphics, sloppy map design (i.e. I jump into inaccessable areas a lot), repetative gameplay. Fun if you like zombie survival, open world, and co-op games, and don't mind a lack of polish. P.S. This game is perfect forPros: Good graphics, fun melee combat, Borderlands-style weapon drops and class system, lots of quests and areas to explore. Cons: still buggy (August 2012) graphics, sloppy map design (i.e. I jump into inaccessable areas a lot), repetative gameplay. Fun if you like zombie survival, open world, and co-op games, and don't mind a lack of polish. P.S. This game is perfect for necrophiliacs, as there is a disturbing amount of half-naked zombies. =) Expand
  80. Oct 15, 2012
    This game might be a little gitichy here and there, but when you move further in the story, playing alongside your friends and killing zombies not only with knifes and baseball bats but also with guns or modded weapons, this game becomes a masterpiece. The story is, as I find it, very entertaining and easy to follow, although other people find it really bad. I have been playing this withThis game might be a little gitichy here and there, but when you move further in the story, playing alongside your friends and killing zombies not only with knifes and baseball bats but also with guns or modded weapons, this game becomes a masterpiece. The story is, as I find it, very entertaining and easy to follow, although other people find it really bad. I have been playing this with two characters singleplayer and me and my friends are still playing the coop part of the game to truly finish all quests. One thing I know, I'm so gonna preorder the next chapter! Expand
  81. Sep 25, 2012
    Claro es: no es una historia brillante, pero es realmente entretenido por lograr la sensación de agobio al no haber lugar donde no exista la posibilidad de ser atacados por zombis. Al ser un juego pensado en el combate cuerpo a cuerpo se abona la posibilidad que nos ofrece de adquirir objetos del entorno y convertirlos en armas (las armas de fuego son escasas) y dejar aClaro es: no es una historia brillante, pero es realmente entretenido por lograr la sensación de agobio al no haber lugar donde no exista la posibilidad de ser atacados por zombis. Al ser un juego pensado en el combate cuerpo a cuerpo se abona la posibilidad que nos ofrece de adquirir objetos del entorno y convertirlos en armas (las armas de fuego son escasas) y dejar a decisión del jugador si es prudente o no entrar sólo o acompañado a una zona. La dificultad del juego es alta, dada la cantidad de estos seres que no dudarán en atacar en masa y hay variedad de ellos, cada uno con cualidades propias de su tipo. Recomendado para jugarlo en cooperativo (hasta cuatro jugadores). Expand
  82. Nov 5, 2012
    Most of the bad reviews are old and complaint about bugs. Well, i played in end 2012, all bugs fixed and with a 360 controller. I must say that i do enjoy the game a lot. 20h or a little less of gameplay sticking with main quests. In top settings the game looks awesome and it is refreshing to play a first person slasher considering all the boring first person shooters around. Hands downMost of the bad reviews are old and complaint about bugs. Well, i played in end 2012, all bugs fixed and with a 360 controller. I must say that i do enjoy the game a lot. 20h or a little less of gameplay sticking with main quests. In top settings the game looks awesome and it is refreshing to play a first person slasher considering all the boring first person shooters around. Hands down the best zombie game i have played. Expand
  83. Dec 3, 2012
    Dead island is a good game, but have lots bugs in the game meybe after fix that problem whit bugs but i like that game ,and i put 9/10,and peaple do more videos about that game it is fanny game killing zombies in that game is very very very good efects and i like to say play that game dont say that is crap because you got crap PC and youb say that is crap
  84. Jan 13, 2013
    Nonetheless, I reach Dead Island. This game is filled with zombie-murdering. You want a big tough colored guy that can hit people with things? You got it here. You want a guy that can chuck things twenty feet, hit the zombie, and come back to him like boomerang? You got it here. You want a chick that can murder zombies with bullets? You got it here. There are five characters total in thisNonetheless, I reach Dead Island. This game is filled with zombie-murdering. You want a big tough colored guy that can hit people with things? You got it here. You want a guy that can chuck things twenty feet, hit the zombie, and come back to him like boomerang? You got it here. You want a chick that can murder zombies with bullets? You got it here. There are five characters total in this game, choose one, and team up with your friends and kill some zombies, and complete quests!

Onto some other parts of the game here, the game is not ALL about doing quests. You can trade with friends, you can buy things, sell things, team up with others and just have some fun, ect. I haven't gotten too too in depth with the story just yet, but eventually I will. If you love killing zombies, you will definitely like Dead Island. There is no doubt about it. Highly recommended.
  85. Feb 12, 2013
    great game, with replayability from different characters to select. although the overall main story is likely the same, the personal stories are different. i wished they would have delve further into each character's personal stories tho. its a 1st person survival horror game that takes some time to get use to the controls. some of the levels also feel a bit like walking in circles, wellgreat game, with replayability from different characters to select. although the overall main story is likely the same, the personal stories are different. i wished they would have delve further into each character's personal stories tho. its a 1st person survival horror game that takes some time to get use to the controls. some of the levels also feel a bit like walking in circles, well since its on an island i guess. not really many, terribly infected monsters to battle unfortunately. only mindless zombies and the tougher zombie. i think left 4 dead is better than this. it can get boring at times when you wander around too much doing the same thing collecting things, saving people, killing zombies...over and over. the story is decent but nothing memorable to me. Expand
  86. Jul 20, 2013
    There's something really satisfying about all of the close combat fighting in Dead Island. Sure the game is a bit buggy and the UI isn't great, but nothing gets your heart pounding quite like turning a corner and finding a suicider in your path. Although the quests can become a bit tedious towards the end, I still enjoyed my time with this game.
  87. Apr 25, 2013
    Dead Island is an amazing game in it's mechanics and graphics. It also has a lot of content. It's a free-roam RPG focused on zombies. Those 3 sentences SHOULD sum up Dead Island, but unfortunately, there are shoehorned shooter sections, bland story, and odd dialogue in the mix. For what Dead Island focuses on, (which is killing zombies in creative fashion and leveling up), you can lookDead Island is an amazing game in it's mechanics and graphics. It also has a lot of content. It's a free-roam RPG focused on zombies. Those 3 sentences SHOULD sum up Dead Island, but unfortunately, there are shoehorned shooter sections, bland story, and odd dialogue in the mix. For what Dead Island focuses on, (which is killing zombies in creative fashion and leveling up), you can look past the minor things. I really like it for what it was made for, and you should too. Now go chop off some arms and smash some skulls. Expand
  88. AWG
    Jun 10, 2013
    Things from this game I loved: the very-big-but-not-TOO-big open world, the characters, the fact that missions are not against the clock, the friggin' champagne sidequest, the simple-but-yet-complete leveling system, the human enemies, Xian's sweet arse.
    Things from this game that could be improved: the graphics.
    Things from this game I hated those damn sewers missions. Almost 100
    Things from this game that could be improved: the graphics.
    Things from this game I hated those damn sewers missions.
    Almost 100 hours of solid fun and a solid 8 overall.
  89. Jul 5, 2013
    You should play on the beautiful island resort. Smart hotels and bungalow, pools, bars, palm trees and beaches. Game is very pleasant from the visual point of view. All components of world around are traced very carefully, and the main thing by a svdokhnoveniye. Myrrh of game not so empty (as for the island embraced with an unknown infection). Zombies constantly wander about the island,You should play on the beautiful island resort. Smart hotels and bungalow, pools, bars, palm trees and beaches. Game is very pleasant from the visual point of view. All components of world around are traced very carefully, and the main thing by a svdokhnoveniye. Myrrh of game not so empty (as for the island embraced with an unknown infection). Zombies constantly wander about the island, you always risk to come across others survived, and nobody guarantees that the meeting will be pleasant to you. Even if anybody isn't present nearby, you never feel lonely, from is far loud breath of the zombie is distributed, and you is strained you wait from what party there is this creature... Besides an atmosfernost the game world is interesting by the interactivity. Many subjects it is possible to pick up, pump over, combine them among themselves and to make other pranks. Quests which you receive from minor characters almost always are rather original and are taken place with pleasure. Plus in game it is possible to have fun not only passing missions. It is possible to drive on jeeps and to press the zombie, to investigate world around and it is simple to play the fool. Especially cheerfully to do it in cooperative with friends. This game for certain has shortcomings, but I didn't find them... I claim that Dead Island game obligatory to passing! Expand
  90. Sep 10, 2013
    Maybe Dead Island was a disappointment when it came out, but apart from the bugs and some of the unimaginative side missions this game was amazing, the places you can go and explore where awesome,
    scavenging money, weapons, and food hasn't been so fun before, this game I would say it's very underrated. This game is a must, especially if you have a friend to play with.
  91. Sep 19, 2013
    This hell looks just like paradise. One of those games that can be played over and over again. Definitely not a perfect game (many bugs, physics is appaling, But damn it's really addictive fun. Nice vacation. 84/100
  92. Nov 25, 2013
    I found this game to be suprisingly excellent. Of course it does have its flaws and hicups, but they are extremely forgivable. I spent over 40 hours in this game, doing all the side quests, scavenging and doing the main story line, so it really gets a two thumbs up at that part. The coop is extremely fun, however the person´s animations that you play with seems kinda clunky, and also theI found this game to be suprisingly excellent. Of course it does have its flaws and hicups, but they are extremely forgivable. I spent over 40 hours in this game, doing all the side quests, scavenging and doing the main story line, so it really gets a two thumbs up at that part. The coop is extremely fun, however the person´s animations that you play with seems kinda clunky, and also the voice acting and overall acting of some characters is kinda derpy. Killing zombies is extremely satisfying and fun! One point i dont get is why everyone is complaining about performance issues, when i played it i had a phenom II 955 X4 and a hd 6870 and reached 60 fps static all the time with a tweaked ini file that pushed the overall pretty graphics/fov further then the normal. In the end i really like this game and it gets a super solid 8/10! Cheers Expand
  93. Nov 29, 2013
    I loved this game, and have played it and completed the game with all four characters. It is so confusing to me when I see a few bad reviews about this game, because I completely disagree. For me, I like the first-person view, the multiple weapons you can use and craft, the beautiful gameplay environment, and also when you search backpacks for money and other materials. That's always fun.I loved this game, and have played it and completed the game with all four characters. It is so confusing to me when I see a few bad reviews about this game, because I completely disagree. For me, I like the first-person view, the multiple weapons you can use and craft, the beautiful gameplay environment, and also when you search backpacks for money and other materials. That's always fun. I like how each character have their own separate personalities, and say witty things. Playing online is also fun, because sometimes you will meet people you don't even know, and join in their game, and help each other in hard missions.... First time I played this game, I was so freaked out. I got so consumed with the game, that's all I was ever doing, playing it, especially the City of Moresby. But learning your character's signature moves, and how to level up, which gets you more upgrades. Try it, it's the best game, to me, I ever played. Expand
  94. Feb 6, 2015
    As like most people, I was initially drawn to 'Dead Island' because of it's mind-grabbing cinematic teaser trailer. However, unlike most people, when the game was actually released I wasn't disappointed in the least. And that's mostly due to the fact that 'Dead Island' has one of the most gorgeous and engrossing atmosphere's that I have ever seen in a video game. There's just somethingAs like most people, I was initially drawn to 'Dead Island' because of it's mind-grabbing cinematic teaser trailer. However, unlike most people, when the game was actually released I wasn't disappointed in the least. And that's mostly due to the fact that 'Dead Island' has one of the most gorgeous and engrossing atmosphere's that I have ever seen in a video game. There's just something about a zombie infested paradise that really does it for me and I can't get enough of it. The island of Hanoi truly is a vast and comprehensive environment that is worth exploring over and over again.

Aside from how wonderful the environment is, the gameplay is also extremely fun and balanced. Bashing zombies heads in with pipes, wrenches, paddles, and whatever else you can find never grows old, and the lack of immediate firearms is surprisingly refreshing. In fact, one of the best aspects of this game is how long it actually takes to get some guns. At first I admit I was wondering how long it would take to get them, but when I finally did, I realized I had way more fun using just about anything else. Not to mention you can modify preexisting weapons to make them more powerful, such as adding barbed wire to bats, and so on and so forth.

As for the story in 'Dead Island' it's nothing special and is pretty much what you would expect from a modern horror movie. A group of unlikely people are forced to work together as they take on zombie hordes and battle with internal conflict. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The dialog is minimal, which I found to be a good thing, and the progression makes about as much sense as it should. All-in-all the story does a fine job of moving the game forward, and considering most people aren't playing for the story, it's nothing to complain about.

When it comes down to it, 'Dead Island' offers a gorgeous atmosphere, solid combat with a wide variety of weapons, tons off quests to get side-tracked with, a soundtrack that sets the tone perfectly, an acceptable storyline with acceptable characters, and an overall balanced XP system. Pick this one up if you're a fan of zombies, first person shooters, exotic island madness, and cheesy horror movies. And even if you're not a fan of any of those things, I mean, what's wrong with you? Not one of those things appeals to you? Are you sure you're okay? You haven't been...bitten...have you...!?!?!?!?!

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.