Dead Island PC

6.9

1. Jul 19, 2012
    We as FPS gamers are on a downward slope - everything is getting more and more boring where AAA titles are OK and anything less we don't have the interest to finish. Dead island was one of the first games in a long time (since...Quake 3?) that I couldn't put down - literally played through the night without realizing it (THAT right there is the sign that a game is good). For what it'sWe as FPS gamers are on a downward slope - everything is getting more and more boring where AAA titles are OK and anything less we don't have the interest to finish. Dead island was one of the first games in a long time (since...Quake 3?) that I couldn't put down - literally played through the night without realizing it (THAT right there is the sign that a game is good). For what it's worth, use the (gasp) Xbox 360 controller on the PC and switch the aiming to analogue. I just loved slicing zombies heads off, curb stomping them and beating them to a pulp to the ground (and then some like a dirty street scrap). Had many memorable moments and jokes among my friends with the game. Only downside is that once your done the game you really don't want to play through it again (at least me)- but hey, I paid $39.99 for it and I don't regret it. Expand
  2. Aug 12, 2012
    Repetitive, **** rpg elements, and pretty much a CoD-like take on an army of zombies gameplay hacking and slashing through them.
    This game was promised to be a good RPG, survival zombie game. That promise was not delivered.
  3. May 8, 2013
    This game has great potential, I like the open world RPG ,LvL system and skills, Crafting weapons its cool,the art work and world design are great! but I think that there is a unbalanced weapon system and there is so poor weapons to find in the world and a short variety for the ammo the same, if they fix that and put like x20 more Zombies and add something like chainsaws, M60This game has great potential, I like the open world RPG ,LvL system and skills, Crafting weapons its cool,the art work and world design are great! but I think that there is a unbalanced weapon system and there is so poor weapons to find in the world and a short variety for the ammo the same, if they fix that and put like x20 more Zombies and add something like chainsaws, M60 flamethrowers, etc, I would give an A+ and a 10 :D Expand
  4. Sep 28, 2014
    This game has hardcoded aimassist on PC! How could anyone give it more that 0?!!
    I don't even want to mention other technical dificulities with this game....
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    Scenery looks great, characters, a little less than stellar. The real problem lies with the level up system, there is no point when the zombies level up with you every inch of the way. Guns are another problem, they are useless against zombies so choosing the character with the gun perks is a complete waste, a mistake i made my first time through. There are bugs but that's not what ruinedScenery looks great, characters, a little less than stellar. The real problem lies with the level up system, there is no point when the zombies level up with you every inch of the way. Guns are another problem, they are useless against zombies so choosing the character with the gun perks is a complete waste, a mistake i made my first time through. There are bugs but that's not what ruined this game for me, boring quests a broken leveling system and a lack of any kind of story makes this sub par. Expand
  6. Apr 2, 2014
    Not as exciting as the trailer led me to believe. I like the open world, melee combat and beautiful lighting and water, but those were not enough to keep me hooked for more than 2 hours. There's a lot of map glitches and AI bugs. The story isn't very interesting... I thank The Walking Dead for spoiling me there lol. There's a lot of object pop-in and frame-stuttering even tho my fps is aNot as exciting as the trailer led me to believe. I like the open world, melee combat and beautiful lighting and water, but those were not enough to keep me hooked for more than 2 hours. There's a lot of map glitches and AI bugs. The story isn't very interesting... I thank The Walking Dead for spoiling me there lol. There's a lot of object pop-in and frame-stuttering even tho my fps is a solid 60. The brightness adjust screen is misleading. Bad support for surround sound headsets. I tried to enjoy the game multiple times, but I can't after a short period of time. It had high potential. I won't ever play it again, but I'll forever remember how satisfying it was to smack a zombie in the face with a boat paddle. Expand
  7. Feb 17, 2013
    It is a disgusting,buggy,repetitive console port.The game is barely even working.It feels unfinished.Graphics are out of date,the missions are boring,the core fighting system makes killing zombies a chore more than anything.Exploring this half finished island is completely useless.
  8. Sep 12, 2014
    this was a good fun game especially with disciplined co-op play (playing with douchy-strangers on open mic can suck). it incorporates quite a few genres: zombie-survival fps (L4D-style) and ARPG loot/treasure hunting and crafting. the different characters/skill-sets make this game very viable for multiple playthroughs and the open-world concept with decent enough graphics make for athis was a good fun game especially with disciplined co-op play (playing with douchy-strangers on open mic can suck). it incorporates quite a few genres: zombie-survival fps (L4D-style) and ARPG loot/treasure hunting and crafting. the different characters/skill-sets make this game very viable for multiple playthroughs and the open-world concept with decent enough graphics make for a generally enjoyable experience. Expand
  9. Jul 19, 2013
    If you like zombies you can't go wrong. The survival horror feel of this game may possibly be the best I ever experienced. Smashing your way through zombies in first person with baseball bats and machetes just feels great. Some moments of the game are really intense and really made me feel that zombie survival couldn't be done any better than this game did it.
    Though this game does not
    Though this game does not shine in places like story or characters, it does not need to. The world and gameplay make up for it.
    My biggest complaint about this game is a serious issue with the throwing mechanic. If you do not play Logan, who specializes in throwing skills, you may never notice this at all. But occasionally, thrown weapons glitch out and vanish. After 60+ hours in the game, and spending my entire savings on fully upgraded and modded new weapons only to have them both vanish within 2 minutes of leaving town I rage quit for a few months.
  10. Apr 7, 2013
    This game is amazing. I've played through it singleplayer and both co-op. The co-op was the. Most fun with 4 players although 2 players was also good. An amazing open world game a lot of custumizable weapon selection, and fun (but repetitive) gameplay, this makes for a good experience. I can't wait for the sequel coming out this year.
  11. Apr 26, 2013
    Fair game, nothing better than that. The graphics are bad and the multiplayer system are a little weird. I play something like 10 hours and dont have so much will to return to play that game.
  12. Mar 16, 2014
    Read some review before I started playing that said it borrowed a lot from Fallout.
    Having played the game for a couple of days I can agree to some extent.
    The problem is that it doesn't improve on anything compared to Fallout. The open world, isn't that open. You get the "You are leaving the playable area" whenever you try to explore places. Your weapon needs repair all the time. Bugs
    Having played the game for a couple of days I can agree to some extent.
    The problem is that it doesn't improve on anything compared to Fallout.
    The open world, isn't that open. You get the "You are leaving the playable area" whenever you try to explore places. Your weapon needs repair all the time. Bugs and glitches even though I'm playing the final patch. Repetitive as hell. So far I've not encountered any enemy that's not a zombie, probably never will. Driving controls is probably the worst I've ever experienced.
    Still, there are some fun parts. The sunny beach environments is a nice alternative to most games gloomy caves.
  13. Apr 5, 2014
    It's an unfinished mess. Textures are dreadful, lighting is from 1998 and whoever signed of those menus has never used a computer before. That and the fact my character seems to be ice-skating make it all but unplayable.
  14. Jul 1, 2014
    It started out okay, there was a story going on, but then it takes a sharp turn and crashes. Real early in the beginning main storyline quests tell you to go do some 'side' quests. Movement is sluggish, trying to strafe while moving makes you slow to a crawl. The weapons break way too fast. Random enemies that are far stronger than anything else around that without a ranged weaponIt started out okay, there was a story going on, but then it takes a sharp turn and crashes. Real early in the beginning main storyline quests tell you to go do some 'side' quests. Movement is sluggish, trying to strafe while moving makes you slow to a crawl. The weapons break way too fast. Random enemies that are far stronger than anything else around that without a ranged weapon leaves you running in circles. The mouse sensitivity defaults way too high and when you adjust it the mouse moves too slow when you enter the menu. There is very little point to have a level system in a game if you're going to just make everything scale with you. It's a low quality PC port. Expand
  15. Aug 13, 2014
    Dead island is one of those games made to play with someone else ideally with a mic. How ever played by yourself or without a mic and you will find a sub-standard experience. During my solo play through i spent around 14 hours completing the story and and a hefty amount of side content. The side content falls on the flat side as many are the same repeated fetch quest formula the "go overDead island is one of those games made to play with someone else ideally with a mic. How ever played by yourself or without a mic and you will find a sub-standard experience. During my solo play through i spent around 14 hours completing the story and and a hefty amount of side content. The side content falls on the flat side as many are the same repeated fetch quest formula the "go over the and bring it back". The story fails to deliver the previously promised emotional story from the fantastic trailer as the characters are far from deep. Also the four main characters could of been borught down to two as Logan and Purna abilities don't vary much and the same goes for the other two. Despite all these negatives there are some positives as i said before played with friends is the only way to play as it gives us a gaming experience that rivals borderlands. The skill tree is the rpg element of the game and is a welcome addition to the tired zombie formula and lets you power up different zones such as a special attack and strength. Also there are no shortages of things to do even if most of them get repetitive completion to 100% would take a hefty amount of time. Also there are no shortages of places to visit from a rough urban area filled with gangs and zombies to a jungle and more the island is huge

To summarize dead island is a fun game meant to be played with friends but playable by yourself
  16. Nov 4, 2014
    This is a pretty fun game to play, but after you beat the game once it's seemingly pointless to play again. You can keep all your upgrades and such but it's just virtually the same thing over, which is expected but it was never all that fun from get go. I don't regret the time playing the game, or anything so I'm basically saying you should try the game, but don't set very high expectations.
  17. Jan 27, 2015
    Zombie killing FPS OK in between the mind numbing looking droning along to the weak story and pathetically no zoned maps with poor support on release and very badly configured graphics for an established game engine. tolerable then came the QTE

Quick time events are for developers who don't know how to.
  18. ave
    Dec 24, 2015
    First I'd like to say that I love B and Z movies, and like to play games where I have to survive a zombie apocalypse (or any kind of apocalypse, like Fallout, Metro or Stalker).

Dead Island seems to got it all, but many choices in the game ruined the experience for me in spite of its qualities. This game has major deal-breakers for me : - Zombies respawns (almost at the same

This game has major deal-breakers for me :

- Zombies respawns (almost at the same place). Not only it kills the fantasy of globally reducing the threat and leaving some places safer, but it becomes annoying after a while to cut through them again (and again...). I know it's a fairly common choice in games with leveling and role-play, but I just don't like it. I don't feel rewarded by money and loot. The better reward for me would have been : a simple "gone forever" zombie.

- Lack of direction in open world. Even with quest and flags, I found the navigation pretty confusing : I had to go back and forth between the quest page, the map page, and the radar icon just to figure out how far a mission goal was. Add to this the relative "openness" of the world and I got myself lost and confused too many times for my taste.

- Getting no assistance from the survivors. Except the introduction, most of the times I do the dirty work for all the survivors. The story tells me I'm immune, but considering the fact zombies are respawning, some brave assistance in the field would have been appreciated. If you add on top of this the fact some "missions" are self-centered (like "bring me champagne" from the russian girl) you just want them to die of their stupidity right here for not contributing to the greater effort.

Dead Island has also minor negatives aspects ;

- The way weapons are assigned on slots and selected by the mouse during play are counter-intuitive. Many time I found myself struggling with a simple equip action, or abandoning weapons for a moment just to switch one in my hand with one in my bag-pack.

- It takes a looong time before you can get firearms so you have to bash or slash your way through hundreds of zombies before you can start to choose between a close combat and a ranged weapon.

- The weapons become useless after a while due to leveling up and that bothers me. It's nice to have to manage your durability or ammunition resources, but it quickly turns to busywork at the workshop and number comparison. It's very common in RPGs, Some people like this, I just don't.

- The world is filled with luggages with mini loot. I don't find fun the fact of searching each one of these, but if I don't I might just run out of money to repair and upgrade a more efficient weapon.

I'm really sad the game didn't work out for me, because I enjoyed the idea of playing it.
  19. Nov 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The graphics are really nice. The way you finish off zombies is awesome for the first hour or two. For me, Dead Island was only playable when I had friends who I could quest with.

There isn't a sense of danger or dread that you really should feel in a zombie game. It's more action and gore than surviving. That's what really ruined the game for me. With zombie games I really want to feel like every encounter could be my last. I want to feel a sick tingling in my stomach every time I open a door or walk into an open area. Had Dead Island been about Aliens then the action would have been welcomed and understood, but the idea of you can't get infected so you have to save the survivors is a weak plot choice and a worthless use of enemies that could have been something much more.

Then there is the quests. A needless addition to this game. Why insert a mechanic into a game that hinders immersion and story? The quests are boring and will have you traversing the same places back and forth. Go here, get this and come back. Now go a bit further than the last time and get this and come back. Now go past the way you came and get this and come back. They've taken a mechanic that works great in MMO's and forced it into a pseudo-zombie action killathon.

All that being said, this is still a decent game. If you have a few friends who are willing to whittle a weekend away then I think you will find a certain enjoyment here. If, however, you want a genuine game that forces you to constantly learn and adapt then try something else.
  20. Jun 29, 2014
    The game is fun for the first few hours, but the story gets very predictable very fast and progresses very slowly, the player characters aren't that interesting and the gameplay gets very stale very fast. There are a few effective ways to deal with zombies, and a lot of ineffective ways to do it, you end up doing the same for every situation.

the graphics are pretty and the gameplay

the graphics are pretty and the gameplay flows pretty well if you look away from the repetition.

Mediocre game, fun for a few hours, doesn't have much replay value.
  21. May 10, 2013
    I played the fully patched GOTY edition and what a letdown it was! Technically okay. I accepted that it is essentially a zombie slasher game so I ignored that it has little to no guns. Honestly I hoped it would enrich the slasher aspect but I came out empty handed. There`s basicly no difference if you hit`em with a hammer, a combat knife or an axe. They fall on the 2nd or 3rd hit orI played the fully patched GOTY edition and what a letdown it was! Technically okay. I accepted that it is essentially a zombie slasher game so I ignored that it has little to no guns. Honestly I hoped it would enrich the slasher aspect but I came out empty handed. There`s basicly no difference if you hit`em with a hammer, a combat knife or an axe. They fall on the 2nd or 3rd hit or occasionally lose some limbs and that`s it. There`s nothing detailed about the bodies that the zombies are. Granted they moan and growl like they should but killing them gets boring quickly. Most of the quests and sidequests are generic but sightseeing on a beatifully made island resort compensates some of that. It is fun to go around on feet seeing how people got eaten, some got barricaded and wait for help. The story is also pretty generic but keeps a good pace right to the end. Not that the characters you meet are interesing 0 they are blend as it can be. Don`t mind the crafting table it is just there to repair your current items. Most of the stuff that may be bought there you find on your own. I did not like the minimap which didn`t make finding paths to quests any easier. The music is..well, just there. It is a 6 out of 10 for me (just above the "meh" grade), I tried to appreciate it but I didn`t. Other than that I`m not a zombie slashers` fan but I hear opinions from such fans that they liked the game very much. Hence, the game will be fun mostly to them and remain a new but boring concept to the rest. Expand
  22. Sep 25, 2013
    All of my Romero fantasies rolled into one. There's no shopping mall, but the tone, atmosphere and level of immersion in Dead Island is incredible. Can get a little repetitive later on with the over-population of zombies in some areas, and some (not all) fetch-quests are somewhat boring, but excellent, bloody stuff nonetheless.
  23. Aug 21, 2012
    I will never understand how people can so virulently rail against a developer for releasing a game with bugs. Granted, this game had some huge ones on release day (I hear), the sad fact is that most games nowadays are released earlier than they should be, and have bugs/problems. While I agree this should never have become the norm, giving a game a 0-2 because of bugs that were resolvedI will never understand how people can so virulently rail against a developer for releasing a game with bugs. Granted, this game had some huge ones on release day (I hear), the sad fact is that most games nowadays are released earlier than they should be, and have bugs/problems. While I agree this should never have become the norm, giving a game a 0-2 because of bugs that were resolved within days is going to do nothing but lead potential future buyers away from purchasing a fantastic game that they would love. ********************************************************************************************************* That's exactly what this is: A fantastic game. People that were initially expecting the game to be like Dead Island or Left 4 Dead may be disappointed at first, but if they can look past their expectations, they will find a true gem. The closest actual comparison to this game is a zombie-themed Fallout 3 on a tropical island. Personally, I think this is by far the best zombie game on the market. Individual zombies are relatively weak and easy to pick off, but large groups of zombies become serious threats REALLY quickly, and larger "thug" enemies require some strategy to kill, rather than simply more bullets. At the same time, if you are reckless and swinging your weapon all over the place, you will run out of stamina, and even small groups will be challenging. I honestly think the combat is amazing, and is just about perfect, except for the fact that the characters' "kick" command (default button is E, I think) is a little overpowered, and it's easy to keep medium groups of zombies stunned on the ground by spamming it. If they nerfed it, though, the game might become too difficult. ************************************************************************************************************** Starting out in this game, be prepared to have crappy weapons that you need to repair all the time. It evens out later on, though, especially as you unlock other attacks. Case in point, I used to have 3 weapons that I needed to repair in every town visit, but by about level 16ish, I had 1 main weapon that only got down to about 50% durability, with less frequent town visits. This is a beautifully done, rock-solid (no crashes or glitches at all on my system), visceral zombie basher. It's DEFINITELY better with friends, but I even enjoy the single player campaign. If there were no release day issues, I firmly believe this game would have over an 8 user score. Expand
  24. Nov 9, 2011
    Platform: PC.
    Platform: PC.
    Graphics (Details on highest): 9/10. Only notices some glitches in the form of clipping. Otherwise beautiful. Audio (5.1): 8/10. In the city, i found myself always tense because I of the zombies off somewhere else that I knew were going to destroy me.My only dislike it the slim audio track of the characters and the poor voice acting overall. The environmental audio pushes this poor feature away, however.
    Controls/Navigation: 7/10. No real complaints. I did have to rebind a few keys to make it more my style, but that was easy enough. My only complaint about it is the game obviously being created for console gamers because of the menu navigation. I refuse to give more than a 7 to lazy developers who don't do a PC specific menu navigation and just give it the console version. Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2 are good examples of what developers should be doing.
    Plot:5/10. Wow, I'm immune to and doing chores for people. Very exciting... Mediocre at best.
    Game play: 7/10. Good action in the game. I like the ability to hack off limbs, grab various weapons that i can use without any skill, and the ability to kick your opponent to stun is a nice feature different from other similar games. Game play was very repetitive.
    Overall: 7/10. If you like Zombies and repetition, get it. If not, avoid. I like zombies.
  25. Mar 28, 2013
    Dead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thingDead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thing about the game is the sense of wonder and amazement as you walk around a high-detailed island. Attention to detail is everywhere and it genuinely gives the player a sense of realism and the integrity of the world and it’s inhabitants.

In the game there are lots of weapons to use from Axes to Metal Pipes to Brass Knuckles and more. In fact there’s a larger emphasis on melee weapons than guns. There’s also a lot of scavenging, along with repairing and upgrading weapons.

There are a variety of zombies from slow ones, to fast ones and a few boss ones here and there. The quests are varied and the backstory is well written. Combat is solid and feels enjoyable, particularly when swinging a heavy object or using a bladed weapon.

You can learn a variety of new skills, the different ones vary with characters, including regenerative health and a ‘fury mode’ which is charged by killing zombies.

In the standard game, you will be using melee weapons for the majority of the time, but the DLC Ryder White’s Campaign does grant the player much more in terms of gunplay. Overall this is a great game and definitely worth it’s price.
  26. Jul 26, 2012
    Overall a fun experience, especially multiplayer despite a dodgy progression system. Only thing i disliked was the terrible voice acting and accents other than Sam B.
  27. Oct 4, 2013
    Just a short review:
    Just a short review:
    I played this one solo, I imagine it would be more fun with friends. The game feels very much like Borderlands, which is a good thing, it takes away from the immersion but in return improves the overall fun. Level designs are beautiful and creepy, you have a paradise tropical island turned into a hell on earth with the zombie infection. The gore level in this game is one of the highest I have seen so far, if you like gore you will love it (I'm indifferent about it, but it really fits in Dead Island).
    During the game you level up and unlock skills very much like in Borderlands. You finish quests for NPC you met in-game, which often feel very stupid, for example bringing some guy 30 bottles of vodka, or bringing some girl a teddy bear she lost (this is an apocalypse, what's up with those people?). Those silly quests continue through the entire game, making it feel tedious and repetetive. The main plot is there, but it's just a background for all the combat you do. NPCs you meet also feel very lackluster, you will treat them only as quest-giving machines and nothing more. Devs tried hard to reproduce Borderlands feel in this, but they only partially succeeded, most dialogues are boring and full of crappy humor, not brilliant and funny like in Borderlands. I hate the main characters, I don't understand why each one of them has to be so unlikable...you have a black raper, a guy who acts like a total jerk and looks like a drug dealer, a hateful Australian chick who is just so full of venom you can't like her and a Japanese chick that's just meh but still unlikable.
    Overall this is a great game to gather with your friends (up to 3) and have some laughs, but solo it can be dull and boring. I'd give it a 6.5/10 but I can't because Metacritic won't let me.
    It's cheap enough to grab if you have friends to play with, otherwise avoid.
  28. Jan 25, 2013
    I played the goty Dead Island. I know nothing of how it was at release, what I know is how great this game is. Solid 100 hours of gameplay and satisfying action. Half horror half shooter. Its NOT an horror dedicated game but has its moments. Recommended.
  29. Apr 4, 2013
    Brilliant concept. Good story line. A lot of side quests. Only let down is the clanky feel of controls, especially when driving a car, 8 out of ten time you would find your self stuck because of a glitch. The graphics are not that good, but I'm not really bothered by it. One last thing is the co operative gameplay freezing issues. Towards the end of the game, My game froze 4 times.
  30. Jul 26, 2012
    Dead jsland is a game with satisfying melee combat, good visuals, interesting levels, plenty of side-quests and a large world that is sadly held back by bugs, repetitive gameplay and a lackluster story. Its is by no means bad but the game is just too repetitive since you will spend the majority of the game fighting zombies with a satisfying but limited melee-combat system.

The game has

The game has a 4-player cooperative mode though which is where the game really shines. And if you have a couple of pals ready to play with you you are probably going to have a good time playing through the 14 hourish main campaign of this game.
  31. JEK
    Nov 24, 2012
    6.8 user score? Are you kidding me? This is one of my favorite games. Good scenery, good graphics( so-so), no problem with the controls, good story. You can brutally kill zombies with any weapons. It's open world and you can create your own weapon. If anybody 's complaining about the bugs you can easily fix it with some patches. But that's not right rating this game very low because you6.8 user score? Are you kidding me? This is one of my favorite games. Good scenery, good graphics( so-so), no problem with the controls, good story. You can brutally kill zombies with any weapons. It's open world and you can create your own weapon. If anybody 's complaining about the bugs you can easily fix it with some patches. But that's not right rating this game very low because you have problems installing it etc. This is 10/10 for me. I'm looking forward to Dead Island: Riptide. But for the meantime, I'm planning to buy Far Cry 3. Expand
  32. Jul 30, 2012
    Great co-op mode, really fun to play with a friend. Although I never found any critical bug there were some minor issues but they are already fixed. A must-have game if you like co-op mode and zombie plot.
  33. Aug 14, 2012
    Pros: Good graphics, fun melee combat, Borderlands-style weapon drops and class system, lots of quests and areas to explore. Cons: still buggy (August 2012) graphics, sloppy map design (i.e. I jump into inaccessable areas a lot), repetative gameplay. Fun if you like zombie survival, open world, and co-op games, and don't mind a lack of polish. P.S. This game is perfect forPros: Good graphics, fun melee combat, Borderlands-style weapon drops and class system, lots of quests and areas to explore. Cons: still buggy (August 2012) graphics, sloppy map design (i.e. I jump into inaccessable areas a lot), repetative gameplay. Fun if you like zombie survival, open world, and co-op games, and don't mind a lack of polish. P.S. This game is perfect for necrophiliacs, as there is a disturbing amount of half-naked zombies. =) Expand
  34. Oct 15, 2012
    This game might be a little gitichy here and there, but when you move further in the story, playing alongside your friends and killing zombies not only with knifes and baseball bats but also with guns or modded weapons, this game becomes a masterpiece. The story is, as I find it, very entertaining and easy to follow, although other people find it really bad. I have been playing this withThis game might be a little gitichy here and there, but when you move further in the story, playing alongside your friends and killing zombies not only with knifes and baseball bats but also with guns or modded weapons, this game becomes a masterpiece. The story is, as I find it, very entertaining and easy to follow, although other people find it really bad. I have been playing this with two characters singleplayer and me and my friends are still playing the coop part of the game to truly finish all quests. One thing I know, I'm so gonna preorder the next chapter! Expand
  35. Apr 19, 2017
    Repetitive back and forth missions for characters you do not care about. No server room option to join other players, you have to be similar level or similar spot in campaign and wait for their room to show up.. LAN doesn't work. The driving in this game is dumb, vehicles have little turning radius. Better off getting dying light
  36. Sep 25, 2012
    Claro es: no es una historia brillante, pero es realmente entretenido por lograr la sensación de agobio al no haber lugar donde no exista la posibilidad de ser atacados por zombis. Al ser un juego pensado en el combate cuerpo a cuerpo se abona la posibilidad que nos ofrece de adquirir objetos del entorno y convertirlos en armas (las armas de fuego son escasas) y dejar aClaro es: no es una historia brillante, pero es realmente entretenido por lograr la sensación de agobio al no haber lugar donde no exista la posibilidad de ser atacados por zombis. Al ser un juego pensado en el combate cuerpo a cuerpo se abona la posibilidad que nos ofrece de adquirir objetos del entorno y convertirlos en armas (las armas de fuego son escasas) y dejar a decisión del jugador si es prudente o no entrar sólo o acompañado a una zona. La dificultad del juego es alta, dada la cantidad de estos seres que no dudarán en atacar en masa y hay variedad de ellos, cada uno con cualidades propias de su tipo. Recomendado para jugarlo en cooperativo (hasta cuatro jugadores). Expand
  37. Nov 5, 2012
    Most of the bad reviews are old and complaint about bugs. Well, i played in end 2012, all bugs fixed and with a 360 controller. I must say that i do enjoy the game a lot. 20h or a little less of gameplay sticking with main quests. In top settings the game looks awesome and it is refreshing to play a first person slasher considering all the boring first person shooters around. Hands downMost of the bad reviews are old and complaint about bugs. Well, i played in end 2012, all bugs fixed and with a 360 controller. I must say that i do enjoy the game a lot. 20h or a little less of gameplay sticking with main quests. In top settings the game looks awesome and it is refreshing to play a first person slasher considering all the boring first person shooters around. Hands down the best zombie game i have played. Expand
  38. Dec 3, 2012
    Dead island is a good game, but have lots bugs in the game meybe after fix that problem whit bugs but i like that game ,and i put 9/10,and peaple do more videos about that game it is fanny game killing zombies in that game is very very very good efects and i like to say play that game dont say that is crap because you got crap PC and youb say that is crap
  39. Jan 8, 2013
    Dead island is a beautiful game but it has nothing special - nothing that would make me go back to it. From beginning to end - it's the same thing and the flaws are much more apparent than all the good things. The paradise island you are on is absolutely beautiful - but you can't appreciate it when the gameplay is boring, there are numerous bugs and stupid decisions - for example you areDead island is a beautiful game but it has nothing special - nothing that would make me go back to it. From beginning to end - it's the same thing and the flaws are much more apparent than all the good things. The paradise island you are on is absolutely beautiful - but you can't appreciate it when the gameplay is boring, there are numerous bugs and stupid decisions - for example you are located in a tropical holiday resort but the devs decide that you have to spend a large part of the game indoors - or even better...roaming around sewers. Guests can be found anywhere but they aren't to special either. "Bring me 10 of something" doesn't exactly make for riveting gameplay and even some of the more complicated guests are still boring. The game really doesn't make me feel anything. Just hit zombies with melee weapons or shoot them with guns...Nothing feels rewarding and nothing is really interesting.
    Anything is at best just decent and the rest is just boring or bad.
  40. Apr 24, 2013
    The game is a bit to arcadey for me, it is relatively easy to kill zombies which is plus but it relies mostly on "special" zombies for the difficulty, you rarely ever overrun and therefore you never really get scared.

Honestly its all about upgrading, repairing weapons for whatever specialty your character is good at which depends on which of the 4 characters you've chosen. It's got alot of good locals but honestly once you reach the sewer its lasts forever, its the biggest sewer level of any game ever and that's disturbing that the creators thought of that as a good idea. Artificially lengthening if I ever saw it. The game is roughly 21-23 hours so it's not like it needed this.

The creators of this game really did not spend enough time refining the mechanics, enemies glitch through walls and weapons disappear, enemies attack you through other enemies, you get scratched alot but never bitten. Because its easy to push a zombie off you...
    The cutscenes keep shoving all the characters in eventhough you're playing alone or with 1 friend. They could have edited the cutscenes by simply taking away some lines of dialogue and the character model and some of the camera angles...

The ending is ridiculous.. he can fly away, hes planted bombs, hes just takin the piss now and risking his life unnecessarily by trying to shoot you and magically spawning fast zombies...

+visceral combat
    +pretty long at ~22 hours
    +coop
    +upgrading weapons and attaching weaponmods

-+Story isn't all that impressive but some OK parts
    -Not scary
    -Buggy and glitchy
    -Lazy cutscenes that keep shoving all the characters in
    -Worst Australian accents I've ever heard
    -You can't kill any quest giving humans
    -Terrible ending

It's one of those games that implied greatness if you watched the CGI trailer, but on delivery its rather mediocre with only the only real effort put into it was for the most simplest gameplay mechanics.
    For most people thats good enough, for me I expected more.
  41. Jan 13, 2013
    Nonetheless, I reach Dead Island. This game is filled with zombie-murdering. You want a big tough colored guy that can hit people with things? You got it here. You want a guy that can chuck things twenty feet, hit the zombie, and come back to him like boomerang? You got it here. You want a chick that can murder zombies with bullets? You got it here. There are five characters total in thisNonetheless, I reach Dead Island. This game is filled with zombie-murdering. You want a big tough colored guy that can hit people with things? You got it here. You want a guy that can chuck things twenty feet, hit the zombie, and come back to him like boomerang? You got it here. You want a chick that can murder zombies with bullets? You got it here. There are five characters total in this game, choose one, and team up with your friends and kill some zombies, and complete quests!

Onto some other parts of the game here, the game is not ALL about doing quests. You can trade with friends, you can buy things, sell things, team up with others and just have some fun, ect. I haven't gotten too too in depth with the story just yet, but eventually I will. If you love killing zombies, you will definitely like Dead Island. There is no doubt about it. Highly recommended.
  42. Sep 6, 2013
    The story is boring and stupid, the gameplay is dull and repetitive. Zombies respawn so you can't completely clear the island (which would be a pretty good motivation to keep playing this game a little longer). There are no skills for which you would crave and look forward to gaining another level. Quests are uninventive but sometimes yield something quite good as a reward. Overall, theThe story is boring and stupid, the gameplay is dull and repetitive. Zombies respawn so you can't completely clear the island (which would be a pretty good motivation to keep playing this game a little longer). There are no skills for which you would crave and look forward to gaining another level. Quests are uninventive but sometimes yield something quite good as a reward. Overall, the game isn't worth any sighnificant amount of money or time to be spent on. Expand
  43. Mar 25, 2013
    "Dead Island" is one of those incredibly fun games you often return to, just for the heck of it and to kill time. Even though I couldn't care less about the people or the story, I had an incredibly fun time doing quests, crafting weapons and dismembering many different zombies! If you're a fan of the zombie shooter genre, it's one you should really give a go! If you're into real survival"Dead Island" is one of those incredibly fun games you often return to, just for the heck of it and to kill time. Even though I couldn't care less about the people or the story, I had an incredibly fun time doing quests, crafting weapons and dismembering many different zombies! If you're a fan of the zombie shooter genre, it's one you should really give a go! If you're into real survival games, not so much :T Expand
  44. Mar 13, 2013
    i enjoy this game but what puts me off is the huge amounts of melee weapons and these seemingly imposible boss zombies. what this game needed was an option to make more guns drop. so you could choose blanced melee or balanced guns for 2 types of game play
  45. Jul 20, 2013
    There's something really satisfying about all of the close combat fighting in Dead Island. Sure the game is a bit buggy and the UI isn't great, but nothing gets your heart pounding quite like turning a corner and finding a suicider in your path. Although the quests can become a bit tedious towards the end, I still enjoyed my time with this game.
  46. Apr 3, 2013
    7 comme son prix Noel sur steam.
    Une vraie ambiance de fin du monde se dégage de cet open world, que ce soit la musique, les décors.
    Les deux premiers chapitres sont vraiment très réussis, les deux suivants un peu moins bons. On regrettera aussi et surtout d'être le toutou des survivants et de devoir leur rendre service en permanence, écartant donc du coté RPG voulu une vraie liberté
    7 comme son prix Noel sur steam.
    On regrettera aussi et surtout d'être le toutou des survivants et de devoir leur rendre service en permanence, écartant donc du coté RPG voulu une vraie liberté de choix.
    Dommage car avec ça, ce jeu aurait pu être légendaire.
  47. Apr 25, 2013
    Dead Island is an amazing game in it's mechanics and graphics. It also has a lot of content. It's a free-roam RPG focused on zombies. Those 3 sentences SHOULD sum up Dead Island, but unfortunately, there are shoehorned shooter sections, bland story, and odd dialogue in the mix. For what Dead Island focuses on, (which is killing zombies in creative fashion and leveling up), you can lookDead Island is an amazing game in it's mechanics and graphics. It also has a lot of content. It's a free-roam RPG focused on zombies. Those 3 sentences SHOULD sum up Dead Island, but unfortunately, there are shoehorned shooter sections, bland story, and odd dialogue in the mix. For what Dead Island focuses on, (which is killing zombies in creative fashion and leveling up), you can look past the minor things. I really like it for what it was made for, and you should too. Now go chop off some arms and smash some skulls. Expand
  48. Jun 29, 2013
    Got the GOTY version for me and my friend. We really had a good time playing this in cooperative. I would have got bored if I played this game by myself: no funny chatting by the microphone, jokes, teamwork, etc

The environments/zones that you play have a nice atmosphere and pretty graphics. Upgrades are simple. You have 3 upgrades trees but the abilities to upgrade sometimes get

Upgrades are simple. You have 3 upgrades trees but the abilities to upgrade sometimes get repetitive. You may have to upgrade some abilities you won't use/need to unlock the ones you need or consider important.

If you are looking for a FPS this isn't the game you want to buy. There are just shotgun, pistol and rifle but limited ammo, as you can craft some. You can only carry a max of 50 pistol ammo, 60 rifle ammo and 20 shotgun ammo (with the exception of one character who can upgrade this). You use melee weapons almost all the time you play. They can be modded, with blueprints you find through the game, to do more damage.

Poor pc port. I tried to use the keyboard but it was really uncomfortable. The key bindings were ridiculous, had to remap them. Menues were made for consoles. However, playing the game with a Xbox controller as I did the whole time was really comfortable, but again, It must be with a keyboard too.

Really fun game to play with friends. If alone, you may not have the full Dead Island experience.
  49. AWG
    Jun 10, 2013
    Things from this game I loved: the very-big-but-not-TOO-big open world, the characters, the fact that missions are not against the clock, the friggin' champagne sidequest, the simple-but-yet-complete leveling system, the human enemies, Xian's sweet arse.
    Things from this game that could be improved: the graphics.
    Things from this game I hated those damn sewers missions. Almost 100
    Things from this game that could be improved: the graphics.
    Things from this game I hated those damn sewers missions.
    Almost 100 hours of solid fun and a solid 8 overall.
  50. Jun 18, 2013
    There are some things that this game does pretty well. One of those things is the constantly uncomfortable and suspenseful atmosphere. Hearing a faint zombie groan can give you a mini panic attack as you frantically look around trying not to get blind-sided by a sprinting zombie.

The game got progressively less entertaining as it went along for me, however. The game was great in the beginning because of the atmosphere that I mentioned and because it requires you to survive on scarce resources which makes it feel like you are struggling to survive. Once you start leveling up, however, the game quickly loses that feeling of what a real zombie survival situation would feel like as you gain a whole bunch of almost super-human abilities and weapons with special powers, and start facing zombies that are genetically mutated behemoths.

To me, this is the kind of game that needs to be realistic to be entertaining. The appeal of a zombie game should be the survival aspect of it.
  51. Jul 5, 2013
    You should play on the beautiful island resort. Smart hotels and bungalow, pools, bars, palm trees and beaches. Game is very pleasant from the visual point of view. All components of world around are traced very carefully, and the main thing by a svdokhnoveniye. Myrrh of game not so empty (as for the island embraced with an unknown infection). Zombies constantly wander about the island,You should play on the beautiful island resort. Smart hotels and bungalow, pools, bars, palm trees and beaches. Game is very pleasant from the visual point of view. All components of world around are traced very carefully, and the main thing by a svdokhnoveniye. Myrrh of game not so empty (as for the island embraced with an unknown infection). Zombies constantly wander about the island, you always risk to come across others survived, and nobody guarantees that the meeting will be pleasant to you. Even if anybody isn't present nearby, you never feel lonely, from is far loud breath of the zombie is distributed, and you is strained you wait from what party there is this creature... Besides an atmosfernost the game world is interesting by the interactivity. Many subjects it is possible to pick up, pump over, combine them among themselves and to make other pranks. Quests which you receive from minor characters almost always are rather original and are taken place with pleasure. Plus in game it is possible to have fun not only passing missions. It is possible to drive on jeeps and to press the zombie, to investigate world around and it is simple to play the fool. Especially cheerfully to do it in cooperative with friends. This game for certain has shortcomings, but I didn't find them... I claim that Dead Island game obligatory to passing! Expand
  52. Sep 10, 2013
    Maybe Dead Island was a disappointment when it came out, but apart from the bugs and some of the unimaginative side missions this game was amazing, the places you can go and explore where awesome,
    scavenging money, weapons, and food hasn't been so fun before, this game I would say it's very underrated. This game is a must, especially if you have a friend to play with.
  53. Aug 7, 2013
    I'd say this game is similar to boarderlands in the reguard that it is far more fun when you are playing with someone, but at the same time if you are interested in the survival story of a zombie apocolypse then this game will also be right up your path.

The opening I love and the lyrics are stuck in my head, even though I don't like rap that much and when getting to the character selection you get a detail on what their speciality is (american's skill is throwing, chinese woman's skill is sharp weapons, black guy's skill is bludgeoning weapons and black girl's skill is guns.) and you get to learn about their past and who they are as they narrate their backstory to you. It also gives you a option to stop yourself if you mis-clicked and you aren't stuck with a character you didn't want to play as.

Weapons break after so many uses and different weapons are more resistant. Guns have no durability so won't break. So far I've attained mods and many other collectables over the island.
  54. Sep 17, 2013
    A fun zombie shooter, with a great weapon shooter, a console port so graphics are not great, but it does make up for that with hilarious weapon specials. 7/10, good entertainment value and re playability.
  55. Sep 19, 2013
    This hell looks just like paradise. One of those games that can be played over and over again. Definitely not a perfect game (many bugs, physics is appaling, But damn it's really addictive fun. Nice vacation. 84/100
  56. Nov 3, 2013
    This game is really only fun with friends. With someone there, the many bugs and glitches are pretty funny. But when playing alone, you find yourself muttering "the trailer promised something better..."
    The combat is bad. You see a zombie. You kick it in the leg and hit it with a baseball bat.
    The leveling system is pointless. Why level up if the enemies level up with you? But among the
    But among the stupidity, if you just forget about the game's pricetag and what the trailer promised, Driving around is really fun.
  57. Nov 18, 2013
    This game is hard to review, I love it but I have to review it in a unbiased way, even though I have put 150 hours into it. You can play as four different characters, Sam B., Logan, Purna, or Xian. All play pretty much the same but with little changes in rage mode and the skill tree. They are each equipped with a back story and their own expertisim (Such as Purna is the gun expert). TheThis game is hard to review, I love it but I have to review it in a unbiased way, even though I have put 150 hours into it. You can play as four different characters, Sam B., Logan, Purna, or Xian. All play pretty much the same but with little changes in rage mode and the skill tree. They are each equipped with a back story and their own expertisim (Such as Purna is the gun expert). The story is very poor, you are on an island with zombies trying to get off. There is multiplayer, and it is fun. The graphics are very nice, and the lighting is well done. The combat is okay, with randomly generated weapons. These weapons can be fun to use, but you got to repair them.... With money? That is dumb; Guns are scares and so is ammo. The voice acting is okay, but nothing to praise. But the best part of this game? Is just killing stuff. Scratch the part were is said "The combat is okay" it is awesome! You can chop of individual limbs, throw weapons, go into a rage, shoot stuff, loot stuff. On the note of looting stuff that is the main thing of the game, looting. You can find items through out the game with RPG stats, which you can upgrade, and you use them or sell them to get better stuff. STUFF stuff stuff stuff. You can pick up miscellaneous items (That don't use inventory space) and use them to upgrade weapons, and to sell/use for quests. This game is okay and I can't say much more about it. But it is strange, I love this game! Expand
  58. Nov 25, 2013
    I found this game to be suprisingly excellent. Of course it does have its flaws and hicups, but they are extremely forgivable. I spent over 40 hours in this game, doing all the side quests, scavenging and doing the main story line, so it really gets a two thumbs up at that part. The coop is extremely fun, however the person´s animations that you play with seems kinda clunky, and also theI found this game to be suprisingly excellent. Of course it does have its flaws and hicups, but they are extremely forgivable. I spent over 40 hours in this game, doing all the side quests, scavenging and doing the main story line, so it really gets a two thumbs up at that part. The coop is extremely fun, however the person´s animations that you play with seems kinda clunky, and also the voice acting and overall acting of some characters is kinda derpy. Killing zombies is extremely satisfying and fun! One point i dont get is why everyone is complaining about performance issues, when i played it i had a phenom II 955 X4 and a hd 6870 and reached 60 fps static all the time with a tweaked ini file that pushed the overall pretty graphics/fov further then the normal. In the end i really like this game and it gets a super solid 8/10! Cheers Expand
  59. Nov 28, 2013
    Dead Island could have been a brilliant game, the gameplay is as smooth as you make it and the multiplayer is great if you have friends to play it with. The positive parts of the game are, unfortunately somewhat equal to the negative aspects. The adventure mechanic works well, with free roaming and having a level on the enemies, means you can grind up your level, or just kill for fun.
    The
    The most unfortunate thing in the game is the story, it feels like the writers just took a day off or something, and never finished it. This really shows in the last few levels, and final boss fight.
    A big negative for me, being an Australian myself, was the truly appalling and i'd even say racist American mockery of the way we speak. American voice actors play all the Australian characters, and only speak in the stereotypical way people see us.
    Regardless, get this game cheap, if you want intense multiplayer but don't care about story.
  60. Nov 29, 2013
    I loved this game, and have played it and completed the game with all four characters. It is so confusing to me when I see a few bad reviews about this game, because I completely disagree. For me, I like the first-person view, the multiple weapons you can use and craft, the beautiful gameplay environment, and also when you search backpacks for money and other materials. That's always fun.I loved this game, and have played it and completed the game with all four characters. It is so confusing to me when I see a few bad reviews about this game, because I completely disagree. For me, I like the first-person view, the multiple weapons you can use and craft, the beautiful gameplay environment, and also when you search backpacks for money and other materials. That's always fun. I like how each character have their own separate personalities, and say witty things. Playing online is also fun, because sometimes you will meet people you don't even know, and join in their game, and help each other in hard missions.... First time I played this game, I was so freaked out. I got so consumed with the game, that's all I was ever doing, playing it, especially the City of Moresby. But learning your character's signature moves, and how to level up, which gets you more upgrades. Try it, it's the best game, to me, I ever played. Expand
  61. Nov 10, 2015
    When I first loaded it up, I thought it was pretty fun and exciting. Then about 20 minutes passed and I realized it was just the same thing again and again. There was no challenge to it, no fear nor excitement. It was a colourful chore at best. It has a few interesting ideas in terms of game mechanics, but these only matured by Dying Light, a far superior game.
  62. Jan 5, 2016
    yes it's flawed, yes the trailer completely lied to us, yes it can sometimes feel like a buggy mess......but the good (for the most part) outweighs the bad. So on with the review then.

Pros: -I really like the setting. Dead Island is set on a tropical island and that means no escape. It gives the felling of loneliness that's pretty unique. -Let's talk about what is obviously the best

Pros:
    -Let's talk about what is obviously the best part of the game.....the gory combat..... from axes to guns to rocket launchers nothing is unavailable if you know how to make it.
    -And finally i love the survival element to this game. Every encounter can be a freaking fight for your life if you rush things. Also you need to collect stuff like duct tape and nails in order to craft better weapons to hel you fight off the zombies. All of this is great stuff....But there's almost an equal number of things wrong with this game so let's just get to the cons.

Cons:
    -Like many people have pointed out, this game can be a buggy mess sometimes. There's glitches galore but thankfully the patches fixed that. But that still doesn't excuse the sudden clipping, outdated character models and the stupidest story i have heard in a game for a while.
    -And another thing is that the game is just not balanced. One mission can be piss poor easy but then the next one can kick your **** ass. Listen up Dead Island......there's this thing called a difficulty setting, you may want to use it.

In conclusion Dead Island is a good game. If you can get past the bugs it is a pretty good game. Check it out and see for yourself
  63. Aug 20, 2016
    I always had a really difficult "relationship" with Dead Island. I tried to start this game at least three times but i always gave up, because the whole game mechanics just... not well made. Now i have decided to give it another try, maybe i just gave up too earlier and i have to say, this game is still not impressed me. Of course it's fun to play, but it has a lot of issues. The biggestI always had a really difficult "relationship" with Dead Island. I tried to start this game at least three times but i always gave up, because the whole game mechanics just... not well made. Now i have decided to give it another try, maybe i just gave up too earlier and i have to say, this game is still not impressed me. Of course it's fun to play, but it has a lot of issues. The biggest of them is probably the moving mechanics. This dynamic movement is really a huge pain in the ass. Jumping across an object, making fast moves or just passing through in a tight place could be challenging and this annoyed me very much. The combat system is almost the same, especially when the system cannot decide who attacked first: you or the undead - which ends up the zombie is already on your neck and you just received a big heal loss. But there are other mayor bugs like such as when the inventory system just get totally broken, and you cannot even sell a god damn thing. The AI is so braindead, it's really not a big challenge to outsmart them. Most of the times when you jump to the top of a car you just receive a huge advantage, because they cannot reach you from the ground (unless if they somehow find a way to get up to you) Money is playing a pretty big role in the game, because for repairing or upgrading weapons you will need money, such as trading of course, but you can grind out as much money as you want, since the weapons are always respawning to their place. So basicly you just need time to collect loads of money, throwable weapons, bullets and XP to be overpowered as hell. It's not a big negative, you can do the same in a lot of game but come on. For a couple of hours it looked like this is a true survival horror game, but when i discovered this exploits i was like: "What the hell man!?". There are so many little things i could complain about, but there is no point of that, you have to play the game to understand what i am crying about. Aside from these the game offers a lot of stuff. It took me about 35 hours to complete it, with most of the side missions. You can upgrade your weapons and craft unique ones by finding blueprints, which turned out is kinda cool. I did not believe in this system first, but later i was really impressed how cool hand crafted weapons are. Banoi Island is huge and i have to say it is a pretty view, but hell... the Chrome Engine still look like **** It has some kind of plastic sense like the Glacier Engine based games (Kane & Lynch is a perfect example if you know what i mean) The blur effects are gave me cancer, but on the other side the whole game looks ok. BUT(!!!) the Ryder White DLC... oh my God... that's like a completely different game. So broken, so stupid, so annoying, i hate that, but i could not stop it at the half because i wanted to finish it once i started it. I don't recommend that. (haha, anyway you will got it since you cannot buy it separately on Steam)

So: Is Dead Island a good game? No. Of course not. Dead Island is a really silly game, but it's enjoyable and offers a lot. I must admit i enjoyed it, but it has so many issues i am really thinking about to not buy Dying Light. I don't care how much people like it. Get your **** together Techland! Fix this engine or change it, i don't care, but come on... you are better than this! I know it!!!
  64. Jul 9, 2015
    As soon as I started playing this game I like it and don't want to stop playing.

I like the combat, kicking an enemy down then hacking off it's head. I like exploring everything and finding loot. lovely scenery. like the open world. I like how shock weapons send Thugs into a epileptic shock dance, it makes me laugh every time. No matter how many times I play it, I don't

I like the combat, kicking an enemy down then hacking off it's head.

I like exploring everything and finding loot.

lovely scenery.

like the open world.

No matter how many times I play it, I don't feel bored.

Getting and crafting developer weapons is a must, just for the very useful proc when thrown. Makes it much easier to deal with hordes on your own, I like to use the mindblower on walkers, plaguebearer on the greater zombies as it causes them to be wracked with puking.

Beach balls are deadly, I was kicking one around and it rebounded off a building and hit me, I ended up near death from a beachball. So be careful when kicking them around they are more deadly than a hit from a thug.

Guns are pretty useless, only useful against enemy humans which there aren't a lot of.
    I enjoyed this game.
  65. Feb 6, 2015
    As like most people, I was initially drawn to 'Dead Island' because of it's mind-grabbing cinematic teaser trailer. However, unlike most people, when the game was actually released I wasn't disappointed in the least. And that's mostly due to the fact that 'Dead Island' has one of the most gorgeous and engrossing atmosphere's that I have ever seen in a video game. There's just somethingAs like most people, I was initially drawn to 'Dead Island' because of it's mind-grabbing cinematic teaser trailer. However, unlike most people, when the game was actually released I wasn't disappointed in the least. And that's mostly due to the fact that 'Dead Island' has one of the most gorgeous and engrossing atmosphere's that I have ever seen in a video game. There's just something about a zombie infested paradise that really does it for me and I can't get enough of it. The island of Hanoi truly is a vast and comprehensive environment that is worth exploring over and over again.

Aside from how wonderful the environment is, the gameplay is also extremely fun and balanced. Bashing zombies heads in with pipes, wrenches, paddles, and whatever else you can find never grows old, and the lack of immediate firearms is surprisingly refreshing. In fact, one of the best aspects of this game is how long it actually takes to get some guns. At first I admit I was wondering how long it would take to get them, but when I finally did, I realized I had way more fun using just about anything else. Not to mention you can modify preexisting weapons to make them more powerful, such as adding barbed wire to bats, and so on and so forth.

As for the story in 'Dead Island' it's nothing special and is pretty much what you would expect from a modern horror movie. A group of unlikely people are forced to work together as they take on zombie hordes and battle with internal conflict. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The dialog is minimal, which I found to be a good thing, and the progression makes about as much sense as it should. All-in-all the story does a fine job of moving the game forward, and considering most people aren't playing for the story, it's nothing to complain about.

When it comes down to it, 'Dead Island' offers a gorgeous atmosphere, solid combat with a wide variety of weapons, tons off quests to get side-tracked with, a soundtrack that sets the tone perfectly, an acceptable storyline with acceptable characters, and an overall balanced XP system. Pick this one up if you're a fan of zombies, first person shooters, exotic island madness, and cheesy horror movies. And even if you're not a fan of any of those things, I mean, what's wrong with you? Not one of those things appeals to you? Are you sure you're okay? You haven't been...bitten...have you...!?!?!?!?!
  66. May 22, 2015
    Dead Island is a semi-open world first-person post-apocolyptic action-RPG that centers around getting off the island you're stuck on and dispatching the undead in the process. As you chop ad shoot through countless zombies with many creative weapons that you can find or craft (such as a blade that shocks yor foes with each cut), you gain XP and level up. With your level ups, you can buyDead Island is a semi-open world first-person post-apocolyptic action-RPG that centers around getting off the island you're stuck on and dispatching the undead in the process. As you chop ad shoot through countless zombies with many creative weapons that you can find or craft (such as a blade that shocks yor foes with each cut), you gain XP and level up. With your level ups, you can buy different abilities. This game can be played with up to four players and contains a pretty decent number of side missions, among the possibility of exploration, although this never feels like a major part of the game. Chopping through zombies and other humans alike with ample blood and gore on display and crafting awesome weapons is a lot of fun but it doesn't quite earn an 8/20 because the story and characters are forgettable. Also, the gameplay could have been improved in a number of ways that I won't bother getting into. It's nothing truly remarkable but it's a fun gore fest with nice RPG elements. Expand
  67. Nov 4, 2015
    While Dead Island has many potentials and is highly ambitious, it still failed to serve as an entertaining and exciting first-person zombie survival game.
  68. Mar 15, 2016
    It looks alright and it sounds alright. And then, you start playing and it's a different story.

For starters, the controls are so abstruse that I couldn't figure them out without reading the manual. I never read a game manual. Ever. Never had to. Probably never will again. That says it all about the level of genius of the particular interface designer involved here. Also, classic

Also, classic major flaw of action games, you can't save. In this particular instance, it means that you will spend your time looting 200 pieces of luggage (for some reason, you need dollars during a zombie infestation,) get killed, then restart the entire looting sequence. An unbelievably bad concept.

And then, the first action sequence isn't even a fight. You have to run randomly until you either get killed or you find the right spot, with no help from logic or visual clues.

If zombies don't kill me, boredom will. Bye game.
  69. May 15, 2016
    Dead Island has got normal graphics and this game is funny , but has got very many blood . In this game are many zombies . Good game about zombie . One of the best game about zombies . Dead Island worse than Dying Light , but good too . Dead Island is very good on PC . 7/10
  70. Jul 22, 2016
    The best way I can sum up Dead Island is that it tries to catch the co-op flavor of games like Borderlands and bring it to a tropical paradise with weapon crafting. But fighting the same hordes over and over again in the hopes of getting that one special component for my ultra-rare weapon build wore out its welcome quickly. The game is much better in co-op, though, and it's still quiteThe best way I can sum up Dead Island is that it tries to catch the co-op flavor of games like Borderlands and bring it to a tropical paradise with weapon crafting. But fighting the same hordes over and over again in the hopes of getting that one special component for my ultra-rare weapon build wore out its welcome quickly. The game is much better in co-op, though, and it's still quite easy to join a match; just hope you don't land in a game populated with obnoxious teens more interested in showing off and hacking the game than playing the game.

+ The world is huge. Be glad there are vehicles and fast travel, because there are a lot of places to discover. It's not a true sandbox – it 's a number of large connected areas – but it will take a lot of dedication to complete the list of missions.
    + The graphics are decent and not too stressful. Expect high framerates even if you have a basic gaming rig like I do at the time of writing (A10-6800k + R7 260X).
    + Four different characters to play as, each with their own bonuses and skills. (I played as Purna most of the time because of her firearms bonuses).
    + Crafting is good, adds some unique effects to the weapons and increases damage.
    + The co-op element works well. Very easy to drop in / drop out of games. Leveling happens much faster, and I had no trouble finding other people to play with.
    + Decent characters, if you can ignore side missions and stay focused on them. Thematically Dead Island has a lot of mature elements. It's just cloaked in this B-movie zombies-on-a-tropical-island setting. Jin's story is touching.

- / + Not really a positive or a negative, since your experience may be different, but the player-base I encountered while pugging coop matches was – immature would be a kind description. I encountered one youngster who asked me if I wanted to go join him in Minecraft. Another person was hacking the game, making everyone die repeatedly (it costs in-game money to respawn, so I didn't find it funny at all). And another player was constantly begging for attention: “Look! Hey, look! I can punch zombies! Look at the size of my fists! Did you see that? Hey, look!” If you have a group of friends you want to play with, you'll have a much better co-op experience than I did.

- Despite the decent story and some good characters, there is very little time is spent with these characters; take time to do plenty of side-quests, and any sympathy built for any of them will have gone by the time we return to the main quests. Don't do the side quests, then; but the risk is going into an area under-leveled – and trust me, you are in for a frustrating time if that happens.
    - The combat gets boring after the first few hours. Guns only work well against human targets, not zombies. Melee weapons and throwables are for zombies. Run up to an enemy, hack their arms or legs off, dodge a few incoming blows, kick to stagger, kill, rinse, repeat. And enemies respawn REALLY fast, so get what you want from an area quickly, or you'll have to do it all over again. What a chore. By Act IV I just didn't feel like fighting anymore; fortunately you can just run by the enemies in the final levels (a few will chase you, but those can be dealt with easily).
    - Weapons decay FAST. Stay on the lookout for workbenches to repair your weapons (especially blade weapons), because they'll fall apart in your hands in the middle of a fight with a “weapon broken” message (you don't lose the weapon; it just sits in your inventory until you drop it or repair it).
    - Finding materials to craft is a pain. Even if you loot every single corpse or house that crosses your path, you'll frequently be short of materials. Much better to join a co-op game in the hope of finding someone to trade with.
    - The quests are repetitive. “Get 5 cans of food” “Find parts for the generator” “My friend / wife / husband / father / mother was infected, they had a memento / letter that I'd like to have back, can you help?” “Get 5 cans of food”
    - Maybe because the missions all feel the same after a while, I stopped caring. I rescue this one guy who is trapped in a bungalow with zombies beating on the door. Down the street is a gas station. I rescue him, he opens the door and says, “Thanks mate. You saved my life. But I really need gas for the generator. Think you can help me out?” And I'm thinking, “The gas station is literally right there. Get your own gas.” Main story missions are a bit better, but even those suffer from an over-use of escort missions.

Dead Island makes a great first impression with its beautiful island paradise and aggressive zombies, but the copy-paste missions, same-y combat and rapid weapon decay left me feeling annoyed and ready to move on to something else.
  71. May 29, 2016
    Buggy, but fun! This is basically Borderlands with less humour, zombies, more realistic graphics and (mostly) melee combat. I played it solo, so there were definitely some boring moments, but I recommend this game.
    I'm interested in playing definitive edition and curious if it will receive higher or smaller score from me.
  72. May 30, 2016
    Take Far Cry's open-world tropical islands, add zombies, tack on a Borderlands-style skill system, and take away the guns. Don't look for a story, just kill zombies.

The vast majority of the time you will do this up close and personal as you brutally bash, slash, and curb-stomp your way through annoyingly tough walking dead. I hate to use the word realism in reference to a zombie game, but their resilience makes it feel like you're actually trying to put down angry human corpses that can't feel pain and just don't quit. To give you an idea, three walkers at once is a handful. You will not casually blast away hundreds of cardboard zombies as you do in other games.

Zombie activity levels range from screaming 28-Days-Later sprinters to corpses that simply lie there until you get close, then struggle awkwardly to their feet. This variation adds a suprising amount of interest and timing to encounters. For instance, my group is great at reacting to sprinters, but takes an embarrassing number of hits from the sneaky shufflers. There is a mechanic for breaking/severing zombie limbs to make them less dangerous (or kill via decapitation,) and for at least one type, this is almost essential to do. In ten hours I have only seen a couple of special zombie types, perhaps there are others later on.

I bought Dead Island when it came out. I was underwhelmed and gave it up after a few hours. Zombies had been done before, 1000 iterations of fetch quest had been done before, skill systems and breaking weapons had been done before. One of the marks of a great game is that it can do the same things other games have done, but do them so well you don't notice you've "played this already." Dead Island falls short of greatness. The whole thing feels like a copy of a copy. While I stand by that assessment, I did make one serious mistake the first time around: I played alone. Dead Island is like Left 4 Dead in that you simply do not get the proper experience by yourself. This is a co-op game through and through. My weekly team game night has been Dead Island the last few times and we're having a blast. Hence my return, 4 1/2 years after the most recent review, to write my own.

Visuals were top notch at release but no doubt can now be played on cheap machines. The repair/upgrade mechanic is fine, but zombies are apparently made of tungsten, because you will fix your weapons WAY too often. Controls are fine with two notable exceptions. First, getting too close to your teammates creates a shoving effect that can and will get you in trouble or keep you from getting out of it. Second, the cursor moves with maddening slowness on the menu screen. Plot and characters are so utterly forgettable I almost forgot to put this line in. But we're not here for plot or characterization. We just want to fight the dead.

Bored of Borderlands? Cashing out of CoD? Take your friends to Dead Island.
  73. Jun 22, 2016
    2/15/2012: Dead Island is a textbook case of why videogame trailers should not be trusted. While I enjoyed the game enough to stick with it to the end of that first playthrough, I have no want to play it again and could not recommend it to anyone before, say, Borderlands. The trailer I speak of promised me a grim and gritty return to Dawn of the Dead style zombie fiction, with a focus on2/15/2012: Dead Island is a textbook case of why videogame trailers should not be trusted. While I enjoyed the game enough to stick with it to the end of that first playthrough, I have no want to play it again and could not recommend it to anyone before, say, Borderlands. The trailer I speak of promised me a grim and gritty return to Dawn of the Dead style zombie fiction, with a focus on emotional trauma and the bitter struggle to survive. Dead Island is not that game. It is instead an insipid, lootwhoring grindfest consisting largely of fetch and kill quests. Maybe if it were a free to play MMO or something would be worth it, because it does have entertaining combat- for like the first twenty zombies or so. After the umpteeth time you've broken a weapon, been duffed over by a Thug zombie or purged your inventory of vendor trash, you will wonder where the fun and drama went- and your money. Avoid this game if you can. Expand
  74. Dec 22, 2016
    I don't get what's so amazing about this game! The gameplay was okay, the violence system was interesting and, I'll be honest, pretty good. But, it seems like the game is that, and ONLY that, with good graphics. Everything else is pretty much ****. Gimme a **** story!
  75. Mar 28, 2017
    Hardest Game ever i"ve ever played,Sucks gameplay and many more i die almost twice while doing mission very rare good blueprint and weapon damage so small but zombie damage to mush wtf game idiot game harddd

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.