6.8

1. Feb 6, 2015
    As like most people, I was initially drawn to 'Dead Island' because of it's mind-grabbing cinematic teaser trailer. However, unlike most people, when the game was actually released I wasn't disappointed in the least. And that's mostly due to the fact that 'Dead Island' has one of the most gorgeous and engrossing atmosphere's that I have ever seen in a video game. There's just somethingAs like most people, I was initially drawn to 'Dead Island' because of it's mind-grabbing cinematic teaser trailer. However, unlike most people, when the game was actually released I wasn't disappointed in the least. And that's mostly due to the fact that 'Dead Island' has one of the most gorgeous and engrossing atmosphere's that I have ever seen in a video game. There's just something about a zombie infested paradise that really does it for me and I can't get enough of it. The island of Hanoi truly is a vast and comprehensive environment that is worth exploring over and over again.

Aside from how wonderful the environment is, the gameplay is also extremely fun and balanced. Bashing zombies heads in with pipes, wrenches, paddles, and whatever else you can find never grows old, and the lack of immediate firearms is surprisingly refreshing. In fact, one of the best aspects of this game is how long it actually takes to get some guns. At first I admit I was wondering how long it would take to get them, but when I finally did, I realized I had way more fun using just about anything else. Not to mention you can modify preexisting weapons to make them more powerful, such as adding barbed wire to bats, and so on and so forth.

As for the story in 'Dead Island' it's nothing special and is pretty much what you would expect from a modern horror movie. A group of unlikely people are forced to work together as they take on zombie hordes and battle with internal conflict. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The dialog is minimal, which I found to be a good thing, and the progression makes about as much sense as it should. All-in-all the story does a fine job of moving the game forward, and considering most people aren't playing for the story, it's nothing to complain about.

When it comes down to it, 'Dead Island' offers a gorgeous atmosphere, solid combat with a wide variety of weapons, tons off quests to get side-tracked with, a soundtrack that sets the tone perfectly, an acceptable storyline with acceptable characters, and an overall balanced XP system. Pick this one up if you're a fan of zombies, first person shooters, exotic island madness, and cheesy horror movies. And even if you're not a fan of any of those things, I mean, what's wrong with you? Not one of those things appeals to you? Are you sure you're okay? You haven't been...bitten...have you...!?!?!?!?!
  2. Jan 27, 2015
    Zombie killing FPS OK in between the mind numbing looking droning along to the weak story and pathetically no zoned maps with poor support on release and very badly configured graphics for an established game engine. tolerable then came the QTE

Quick time events are for developers who don't know how to.
  3. Nov 4, 2014
    This is a pretty fun game to play, but after you beat the game once it's seemingly pointless to play again. You can keep all your upgrades and such but it's just virtually the same thing over, which is expected but it was never all that fun from get go. I don't regret the time playing the game, or anything so I'm basically saying you should try the game, but don't set very high expectations.
  4. Sep 28, 2014
    This game has hardcoded aimassist on PC! How could anyone give it more that 0?!!
    I don't even want to mention other technical dificulities with this game....
  5. Sep 12, 2014
    this was a good fun game especially with disciplined co-op play (playing with douchy-strangers on open mic can suck). it incorporates quite a few genres: zombie-survival fps (L4D-style) and ARPG loot/treasure hunting and crafting. the different characters/skill-sets make this game very viable for multiple playthroughs and the open-world concept with decent enough graphics make for athis was a good fun game especially with disciplined co-op play (playing with douchy-strangers on open mic can suck). it incorporates quite a few genres: zombie-survival fps (L4D-style) and ARPG loot/treasure hunting and crafting. the different characters/skill-sets make this game very viable for multiple playthroughs and the open-world concept with decent enough graphics make for a generally enjoyable experience. Expand
  6. Aug 13, 2014
    Dead island is one of those games made to play with someone else ideally with a mic. How ever played by yourself or without a mic and you will find a sub-standard experience. During my solo play through i spent around 14 hours completing the story and and a hefty amount of side content. The side content falls on the flat side as many are the same repeated fetch quest formula the "go overDead island is one of those games made to play with someone else ideally with a mic. How ever played by yourself or without a mic and you will find a sub-standard experience. During my solo play through i spent around 14 hours completing the story and and a hefty amount of side content. The side content falls on the flat side as many are the same repeated fetch quest formula the "go over the and bring it back". The story fails to deliver the previously promised emotional story from the fantastic trailer as the characters are far from deep. Also the four main characters could of been borught down to two as Logan and Purna abilities don't vary much and the same goes for the other two. Despite all these negatives there are some positives as i said before played with friends is the only way to play as it gives us a gaming experience that rivals borderlands. The skill tree is the rpg element of the game and is a welcome addition to the tired zombie formula and lets you power up different zones such as a special attack and strength. Also there are no shortages of things to do even if most of them get repetitive completion to 100% would take a hefty amount of time. Also there are no shortages of places to visit from a rough urban area filled with gangs and zombies to a jungle and more the island is huge

To summarize dead island is a fun game meant to be played with friends but playable by yourself
  7. Jul 9, 2014
    Sure, it has some bugs here and there, but this is only a minority of a well-rounded game. The story is a little boring at times, but the game compensates for this by allowing you to leave the story altogether and focus your sick mind on forging together weapons of much carnage. Not one of the best zombie games, but it is good.
  8. Jul 1, 2014
    It started out okay, there was a story going on, but then it takes a sharp turn and crashes. Real early in the beginning main storyline quests tell you to go do some 'side' quests. Movement is sluggish, trying to strafe while moving makes you slow to a crawl. The weapons break way too fast. Random enemies that are far stronger than anything else around that without a ranged weaponIt started out okay, there was a story going on, but then it takes a sharp turn and crashes. Real early in the beginning main storyline quests tell you to go do some 'side' quests. Movement is sluggish, trying to strafe while moving makes you slow to a crawl. The weapons break way too fast. Random enemies that are far stronger than anything else around that without a ranged weapon leaves you running in circles. The mouse sensitivity defaults way too high and when you adjust it the mouse moves too slow when you enter the menu. There is very little point to have a level system in a game if you're going to just make everything scale with you. It's a low quality PC port. Expand
  9. Jun 29, 2014
    The game is fun for the first few hours, but the story gets very predictable very fast and progresses very slowly, the player characters aren't that interesting and the gameplay gets very stale very fast. There are a few effective ways to deal with zombies, and a lot of ineffective ways to do it, you end up doing the same for every situation.

the graphics are pretty and the gameplay

the graphics are pretty and the gameplay flows pretty well if you look away from the repetition.

Mediocre game, fun for a few hours, doesn't have much replay value.
  10. Jun 24, 2014
    Dead Island might seem like another zombie game, but it's not. It's sunny outside, your character runs like an idiot, and that's what makes this game different.

Once again, the added value comes from the mutliplayer experience, as you can get all together in car and break some zombie bones on the way. It's a bit buggy but it's not ruining the game at all The storyline is not the best

The storyline is not the best one, but it's decent, and some parts of the world are really challenging. It's horror, rpg, action, range and melee. I love it !

The weapon crafting is nice, even if you have to repair your weapons twice during the missions, but you can create pretty much everything and you find new weapons all the time to replace the old ones.

Conclusion : Forget the bugs, forget the sensation of unfinished game, this is fun and you know it !
  11. Jun 20, 2014
    Loved the game. Great graphics, gameplay, and storyline. The vehicle driving is well done as well.
    There is a long and short campaign that merge the stories at the endgame.
    There is a long and short campaign that merge the stories at the endgame.
    The long campaign is the main storyline featuring one of 4 characters. Every level is detailed and lengthy, but not boring. Even the side quests (technically the grinders) move smoothly as the collection rate for necessary items isn't high at all.
    The short campaign follows a law officer trying to find his wife, and eventually meeting up with the 4 survivors from the main storyline.
    The ending has a twist.
    One any difficulty the game is still challenging. Ammo, and carry space, are realistically done, and there is a surplus of good weapons to be found. I didn't want the game to end, but felt satiated and satisfied when it was finished.
  12. Jun 9, 2014
    Dead Island Is a mix between Borderlands and Left 4 Dead! The graphics are good despites the glitches that occurs often in the game! Also It is mostly made for Co-Op, If you play alone you will get to act 2 and also bored to death! Otherwise, play with 3 of your friends online and you will have a lot of fun! I recommend it for any fans of zombie games!
  13. May 24, 2014
    I would have given the game a higher score if it didnt have so many bugs still till this day. Love the game but the developers took too many shortcuts with the game and ruined it in certain areas. But i get which direction they wanted the game to head towards but just couldnt do so.

Overall, its been 2.5 years and I still love the game.
  14. Apr 5, 2014
    It's an unfinished mess. Textures are dreadful, lighting is from 1998 and whoever signed of those menus has never used a computer before. That and the fact my character seems to be ice-skating make it all but unplayable.
  15. Apr 2, 2014
    Not as exciting as the trailer led me to believe. I like the open world, melee combat and beautiful lighting and water, but those were not enough to keep me hooked for more than 2 hours. There's a lot of map glitches and AI bugs. The story isn't very interesting... I thank The Walking Dead for spoiling me there lol. There's a lot of object pop-in and frame-stuttering even tho my fps is aNot as exciting as the trailer led me to believe. I like the open world, melee combat and beautiful lighting and water, but those were not enough to keep me hooked for more than 2 hours. There's a lot of map glitches and AI bugs. The story isn't very interesting... I thank The Walking Dead for spoiling me there lol. There's a lot of object pop-in and frame-stuttering even tho my fps is a solid 60. The brightness adjust screen is misleading. Bad support for surround sound headsets. I tried to enjoy the game multiple times, but I can't after a short period of time. It had high potential. I won't ever play it again, but I'll forever remember how satisfying it was to smack a zombie in the face with a boat paddle. Expand
  16. Mar 19, 2014
    A fun zombie-killing experience that has the right blend of difficulty, horror, and whimsy. It's not the best game - tons of glitches for one - but it is hours and hours of fun, great solo or in multiplayer. There are shortcomings of course: the sections where firearms are required get a bit tedious, and firearms themselves seem pretty weak when stacked up against the ridiculous amountA fun zombie-killing experience that has the right blend of difficulty, horror, and whimsy. It's not the best game - tons of glitches for one - but it is hours and hours of fun, great solo or in multiplayer. There are shortcomings of course: the sections where firearms are required get a bit tedious, and firearms themselves seem pretty weak when stacked up against the ridiculous amount of melee weapons you can get your hands on. There's also a fair bit of dumb design decisions in there, like making Alcohol an item that can take up a weapon slot, or having higher level weapon modifications available before the lower level variants. Despite that, the melee combat is both fun and challenging. The game holds up decently well, though it loses a bit of its charm in the later levels when things veer away from the combination of beautiful scenery with horrifying zombies. Still, it's not like it stops being fun, it just loses a little bit of that humorous juxtaposition.

All in all it's a great game, even moreso on the PC since it is HIGHLY moddable. Don't like some aspect of the game? There's probably a mod out there to change it.
  17. Mar 16, 2014
    Read some review before I started playing that said it borrowed a lot from Fallout.
    Having played the game for a couple of days I can agree to some extent.
    The problem is that it doesn't improve on anything compared to Fallout. The open world, isn't that open. You get the "You are leaving the playable area" whenever you try to explore places. Your weapon needs repair all the time. Bugs
    Having played the game for a couple of days I can agree to some extent.
    The problem is that it doesn't improve on anything compared to Fallout.
    The open world, isn't that open. You get the "You are leaving the playable area" whenever you try to explore places. Your weapon needs repair all the time. Bugs and glitches even though I'm playing the final patch. Repetitive as hell. So far I've not encountered any enemy that's not a zombie, probably never will. Driving controls is probably the worst I've ever experienced.
    Still, there are some fun parts. The sunny beach environments is a nice alternative to most games gloomy caves.
  18. Feb 19, 2014
    Apesar da críticas ruim é um ótimo game e recomendo. Os usuários que deram notas ruins são fanboys do Left 4 Dead que estão com inveja porque o Dead Island é tão bom quanto ele.
  19. Feb 12, 2014
    Well,, The Graphic is Incredibly welldone and the Combat system with those zombies is thrilling I just loved it,, It is the best FPS Zombie horror genre game I ever played
  20. Feb 7, 2014
    Game is boring, boring and boring. Did I mention that is boring game? Basically you encounter zombies. There and everywhere. Graphics is pretty bad and I'm really not into graphics. Rather design. Design is bad. Audio is even worse. I've played this game for 13 hours and I won't be coming back. Ever.
    Game play: 5/10 Not that bad for first two hours.
    Graphics: 3/10 Many effects, bad
    Game play: 5/10 Not that bad for first two hours.
    Graphics: 3/10 Many effects, bad design. And effects are bad, I don't like blooming my eyes.
    Audio 2/10 Seriously, I was considering giving this 1/10

Overall 4/10
  21. Jan 12, 2014
    A pretty good game. It brought a new and exciting feel to the zombie slasher games we see today. Sure there were bugs here and there like the walk thru doors bug in the city. Over all i had fun
  22. Dec 30, 2013
    I run a high end laptop that is capable of playing all the new titles in the market (Lenovo Y-410p).

Dead Island just gives me a blank screen, and despite numerous attempts to correct this through forums, and support, this game has not been playable for me.

I highly discourage you to purchase it, and encourage you to seek an alternative zombie game.
  23. Dec 20, 2013
    This is not exactly a game with an open environment, as there is quite a bit of railroading going on. The voice acting is mediocre at best and the game looks and plays very much like a poor console port. There's all kinds of glitches, like sound fragments restarting over and over or sounding way too close. Or puddles reflecting like perfect mirrors until you get a feet closer and theThis is not exactly a game with an open environment, as there is quite a bit of railroading going on. The voice acting is mediocre at best and the game looks and plays very much like a poor console port. There's all kinds of glitches, like sound fragments restarting over and over or sounding way too close. Or puddles reflecting like perfect mirrors until you get a feet closer and the reflection disappears. The controls are stiff and feel like something from a decade back.

The setting is not bad, but hardly original. Far Cry with Zombies pretty much sums it up. Except that Far Cry is a better game for its execution and mechanics. If you absolutely must have zombies in your game and you like it to be set in a tropical paradise, Dead Island might be your thing.

The crafting is a nice idea, but a few dozen bland adjective to distinguish item quality, a workbench that accepts dollars to upgrade items, only allowing 7 slots for weapons but dragging around a truckload of junk to upgrade them with, etc. All of this makes it feel very poorly thought through. Fallout, Tomb Raider, Far Cry, they all did a better job of it. Sure, there's a lot of variety in naming and simple looks, but in the end it's still a wrench with a damage number that gets a bit higher.

Healing is similarly silly you have to ingest insane amounts of snacks, fruit and energy drinks to deal with the mutilation inflicted on you by the zombies and every single one forces you to sit through a boring animation with annoying sound effects. As a game mechanic it's no fun and the realism is on the level of Serious Sam; but unlike Serious Sam, it takes itself too seriously and can't decide between zany and serious. It ends up picking the worst of both worlds.

Dead Island reminded me a lot of Hellgate London and that's not a good thing. Who cares about game mechanics? Me, a gamer. There's plenty of titles out there that are more fun, have better zombies, better guns, better crafting, prettier islands and certainly more in the way of plot and voice acting. Unless you can get it for a few dollars on a crazy sale, I recommend against it. I paid 5 dollars, but I should have waited until it was 2,50.
  24. Dec 2, 2013
    Massive, Fun, and laughable characters is what Dead Island consist of. When I say massive I mean 40 hours plus massive. There are hundreds of side missions, many locations to find and exclusions notes which actually make for a better story compared to what the game attempts to portray. The Graphics are impressive and Banoi is a related destination for paradise holidaying. Basically theMassive, Fun, and laughable characters is what Dead Island consist of. When I say massive I mean 40 hours plus massive. There are hundreds of side missions, many locations to find and exclusions notes which actually make for a better story compared to what the game attempts to portray. The Graphics are impressive and Banoi is a related destination for paradise holidaying. Basically the game is about four main characters who have mutated an immunity which has given them the privilege to do 1000 fetch quests for pretty much everyone. The aim of the game is to get off this Island of hell and discover what actually is going on. Expand
  25. Nov 30, 2013
    I SO wanted to like this, I really did. It's a beautiful looking game with some fun gameplay to be had. It is however, ruined by a nonsensical, cliché ridden and disjointed story that is less half baked than completely uncooked, with voice acting that, while never awful is never truly convincing, either. There is also no sense of character development, with each cutscene (which barely evenI SO wanted to like this, I really did. It's a beautiful looking game with some fun gameplay to be had. It is however, ruined by a nonsensical, cliché ridden and disjointed story that is less half baked than completely uncooked, with voice acting that, while never awful is never truly convincing, either. There is also no sense of character development, with each cutscene (which barely even appear until the halfway point) showing the characters, both playable and no randomly changing their personality with no real explanation as to how or why, even within said scenes. The facial animations are at best laughable, while I did notice the zombies seemed to display a convincing look of rage, the characters the player interacts with always seem to look blank, even if they're supposed to be terrified for their lives. The combat AI for humans is also hilariously bad, with enemies directly in front of the player seemingly shooting right past them. The item break mechanic also seemed to make no sense, with the player going and seemingly paying a workbench to repair a weapon with cash, which given the large variety of items the player seems to run across makes it seem like a really lazy solution to an unnecessary feature. The combat was fun enough, although with zombies and specials pretty much spawning in the exact same place not minutes after the player cleared it out made it repetitive and quite frankly tedious.
    The item loot mechanic, which not only looks lifted from Borderlands was highly unsatisfying. I think this game had a lot of ambition, with some excellent ideas, a solid concept and a beautiful world but it was ruined by poor execution in many aspects of the game. It could have been something special but will probably be confined to the depths of mediocrity like so many other potentially great games. Still, it was better than Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.
  26. Nov 29, 2013
    I loved this game, and have played it and completed the game with all four characters. It is so confusing to me when I see a few bad reviews about this game, because I completely disagree. For me, I like the first-person view, the multiple weapons you can use and craft, the beautiful gameplay environment, and also when you search backpacks for money and other materials. That's always fun.I loved this game, and have played it and completed the game with all four characters. It is so confusing to me when I see a few bad reviews about this game, because I completely disagree. For me, I like the first-person view, the multiple weapons you can use and craft, the beautiful gameplay environment, and also when you search backpacks for money and other materials. That's always fun. I like how each character have their own separate personalities, and say witty things. Playing online is also fun, because sometimes you will meet people you don't even know, and join in their game, and help each other in hard missions.... First time I played this game, I was so freaked out. I got so consumed with the game, that's all I was ever doing, playing it, especially the City of Moresby. But learning your character's signature moves, and how to level up, which gets you more upgrades. Try it, it's the best game, to me, I ever played. Expand
  27. Nov 28, 2013
    Dead Island could have been a brilliant game, the gameplay is as smooth as you make it and the multiplayer is great if you have friends to play it with. The positive parts of the game are, unfortunately somewhat equal to the negative aspects. The adventure mechanic works well, with free roaming and having a level on the enemies, means you can grind up your level, or just kill for fun.
    The
    The most unfortunate thing in the game is the story, it feels like the writers just took a day off or something, and never finished it. This really shows in the last few levels, and final boss fight.
    A big negative for me, being an Australian myself, was the truly appalling and i'd even say racist American mockery of the way we speak. American voice actors play all the Australian characters, and only speak in the stereotypical way people see us.
    Regardless, get this game cheap, if you want intense multiplayer but don't care about story.
  28. Nov 25, 2013
    I found this game to be suprisingly excellent. Of course it does have its flaws and hicups, but they are extremely forgivable. I spent over 40 hours in this game, doing all the side quests, scavenging and doing the main story line, so it really gets a two thumbs up at that part. The coop is extremely fun, however the person´s animations that you play with seems kinda clunky, and also theI found this game to be suprisingly excellent. Of course it does have its flaws and hicups, but they are extremely forgivable. I spent over 40 hours in this game, doing all the side quests, scavenging and doing the main story line, so it really gets a two thumbs up at that part. The coop is extremely fun, however the person´s animations that you play with seems kinda clunky, and also the voice acting and overall acting of some characters is kinda derpy. Killing zombies is extremely satisfying and fun! One point i dont get is why everyone is complaining about performance issues, when i played it i had a phenom II 955 X4 and a hd 6870 and reached 60 fps static all the time with a tweaked ini file that pushed the overall pretty graphics/fov further then the normal. In the end i really like this game and it gets a super solid 8/10! Cheers Expand
  29. Nov 20, 2013
    The truth is, I really wanted to like Dead Island but unfortunately it’s just not what I expected… The constant barrage of boring collection missions, an absolutely awful FOV which makes me feel sick after around half an hour playing, a weapon crafting/upgrading system which truly boggles my mind (I hate RPG/Strategy-esque things) and a really rather unattractive game in general (maybeThe truth is, I really wanted to like Dead Island but unfortunately it’s just not what I expected… The constant barrage of boring collection missions, an absolutely awful FOV which makes me feel sick after around half an hour playing, a weapon crafting/upgrading system which truly boggles my mind (I hate RPG/Strategy-esque things) and a really rather unattractive game in general (maybe it’s just the port)! I just couldn't find much too like about Dead Island, even killing zombies just wasn't that satisfying (it felt very repetitive) despite the sheer volume of weapons… I also didn't really understand the focus on money in the title; why should we be concerned about money in a zombie invasion; that's just contrived… Overall, I just found it a rather flawed and boring game! Expand
  30. Nov 18, 2013
    This game is hard to review, I love it but I have to review it in a unbiased way, even though I have put 150 hours into it. You can play as four different characters, Sam B., Logan, Purna, or Xian. All play pretty much the same but with little changes in rage mode and the skill tree. They are each equipped with a back story and their own expertisim (Such as Purna is the gun expert). TheThis game is hard to review, I love it but I have to review it in a unbiased way, even though I have put 150 hours into it. You can play as four different characters, Sam B., Logan, Purna, or Xian. All play pretty much the same but with little changes in rage mode and the skill tree. They are each equipped with a back story and their own expertisim (Such as Purna is the gun expert). The story is very poor, you are on an island with zombies trying to get off. There is multiplayer, and it is fun. The graphics are very nice, and the lighting is well done. The combat is okay, with randomly generated weapons. These weapons can be fun to use, but you got to repair them.... With money? That is dumb; Guns are scares and so is ammo. The voice acting is okay, but nothing to praise. But the best part of this game? Is just killing stuff. Scratch the part were is said "The combat is okay" it is awesome! You can chop of individual limbs, throw weapons, go into a rage, shoot stuff, loot stuff. On the note of looting stuff that is the main thing of the game, looting. You can find items through out the game with RPG stats, which you can upgrade, and you use them or sell them to get better stuff. STUFF stuff stuff stuff. You can pick up miscellaneous items (That don't use inventory space) and use them to upgrade weapons, and to sell/use for quests. This game is okay and I can't say much more about it. But it is strange, I love this game! Expand

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.