Dead Island PC

6.8

1. AWG
    Jun 10, 2013
    Things from this game I loved: the very-big-but-not-TOO-big open world, the characters, the fact that missions are not against the clock, the friggin' champagne sidequest, the simple-but-yet-complete leveling system, the human enemies, Xian's sweet arse.
    Things from this game that could be improved: the graphics.
    Things from this game I hated those damn sewers missions. Almost 100
    Things from this game that could be improved: the graphics.
    Things from this game I hated those damn sewers missions.
    Almost 100 hours of solid fun and a solid 8 overall.
  2. Sep 25, 2013
    All of my Romero fantasies rolled into one. There's no shopping mall, but the tone, atmosphere and level of immersion in Dead Island is incredible. Can get a little repetitive later on with the over-population of zombies in some areas, and some (not all) fetch-quests are somewhat boring, but excellent, bloody stuff nonetheless.
  3. Oct 27, 2013
    I adore Dead Island, It might be a little on the clunky side but basically what you have here is a Bethesda style game which has optional multiplayer where you beat the crap out of zombies with baseball bats that have nails in...
  4. Dec 2, 2013
    Massive, Fun, and laughable characters is what Dead Island consist of. When I say massive I mean 40 hours plus massive. There are hundreds of side missions, many locations to find and exclusions notes which actually make for a better story compared to what the game attempts to portray. The Graphics are impressive and Banoi is a related destination for paradise holidaying. Basically theMassive, Fun, and laughable characters is what Dead Island consist of. When I say massive I mean 40 hours plus massive. There are hundreds of side missions, many locations to find and exclusions notes which actually make for a better story compared to what the game attempts to portray. The Graphics are impressive and Banoi is a related destination for paradise holidaying. Basically the game is about four main characters who have mutated an immunity which has given them the privilege to do 1000 fetch quests for pretty much everyone. The aim of the game is to get off this Island of hell and discover what actually is going on. Expand
  5. Jun 3, 2012
    game is best ever i mean they should update it for pc version fix some of glitches they have but i love it entirely with in first 20 mins i lv up lv 9 and had 20k in cash from it from zombie
  6. Jun 2, 2012
    I was suspicious about that game from the start. In one hand was really teased with trailers where you smash zombies with everything you can found. But in other hand I was skeptical about gameplay and overall feeling.

Because of that I was waiting for Steam 66% off to buy this. I was not wrong. This game is not worth paying full price. I would be more happy if I would pass that one.
  7. Sep 7, 2011
    Having been expecting a turkey having seen "Call of Juarez 3 : The Cartel" (using the same Chrome5 engine), I was pleasantly happy to see this is pretty good. About 2 hours into the game and I find the crafting decent (nice to see pockets are not limited for crafting parts, only main weapons), Co-Op seems to be similar to idea in Borderlands (Harder and more zombies and loot for everyHaving been expecting a turkey having seen "Call of Juarez 3 : The Cartel" (using the same Chrome5 engine), I was pleasantly happy to see this is pretty good. About 2 hours into the game and I find the crafting decent (nice to see pockets are not limited for crafting parts, only main weapons), Co-Op seems to be similar to idea in Borderlands (Harder and more zombies and loot for every player that joins in) in that even solo mode is advertised as a LAN or Online game through Steam so folk can join if you want them to without need for solo and multi characters. Slighty disappointed with lack of customising on the graphics settings, maxed out in 1080p FRAPS was reporting 145fps which is impressive, but I'd rather have it limited to 60fps and better quality textures and tessalation for Dx11 owners etc. Overall the game does add a new zombie game to the collection and it's a worthy choice, unlike rubbish like dead rising 2 or resident evil 5 which suck. Expand
  8. Apr 17, 2012
    Dead island is a fun game, but unfortunately the game is a console port, it works. It's a little bit buggy sometimes, I spawn like half way across the map and yeah... When this game first came out a week afterwards there was no push to talk key so you could hear everything on that persons mic which was stupid. But then Deep Silver grew a brain cell and thought oh! we should add it now! ButDead island is a fun game, but unfortunately the game is a console port, it works. It's a little bit buggy sometimes, I spawn like half way across the map and yeah... When this game first came out a week afterwards there was no push to talk key so you could hear everything on that persons mic which was stupid. But then Deep Silver grew a brain cell and thought oh! we should add it now! But there is no anti-aliasing which makes the game look terrible. The bloom is a bit over done, and there needs to be more options. Such as POV and shadows (not that I had a problem with pov) but some people did. It really is a shame they rushed this because it could had been a much better game. I love the beach map, it makes me feel like I'm there. The quests are ok, get this, come back, do this, come back etc. It's good fun. But this game could had been better. Expand
  9. Jul 19, 2013
    If you like zombies you can't go wrong. The survival horror feel of this game may possibly be the best I ever experienced. Smashing your way through zombies in first person with baseball bats and machetes just feels great. Some moments of the game are really intense and really made me feel that zombie survival couldn't be done any better than this game did it.
    Though this game does not
    Though this game does not shine in places like story or characters, it does not need to. The world and gameplay make up for it.
    My biggest complaint about this game is a serious issue with the throwing mechanic. If you do not play Logan, who specializes in throwing skills, you may never notice this at all. But occasionally, thrown weapons glitch out and vanish. After 60+ hours in the game, and spending my entire savings on fully upgraded and modded new weapons only to have them both vanish within 2 minutes of leaving town I rage quit for a few months.
  10. Feb 6, 2015
    As like most people, I was initially drawn to 'Dead Island' because of it's mind-grabbing cinematic teaser trailer. However, unlike most people, when the game was actually released I wasn't disappointed in the least. And that's mostly due to the fact that 'Dead Island' has one of the most gorgeous and engrossing atmosphere's that I have ever seen in a video game. There's just somethingAs like most people, I was initially drawn to 'Dead Island' because of it's mind-grabbing cinematic teaser trailer. However, unlike most people, when the game was actually released I wasn't disappointed in the least. And that's mostly due to the fact that 'Dead Island' has one of the most gorgeous and engrossing atmosphere's that I have ever seen in a video game. There's just something about a zombie infested paradise that really does it for me and I can't get enough of it. The island of Hanoi truly is a vast and comprehensive environment that is worth exploring over and over again.

Aside from how wonderful the environment is, the gameplay is also extremely fun and balanced. Bashing zombies heads in with pipes, wrenches, paddles, and whatever else you can find never grows old, and the lack of immediate firearms is surprisingly refreshing. In fact, one of the best aspects of this game is how long it actually takes to get some guns. At first I admit I was wondering how long it would take to get them, but when I finally did, I realized I had way more fun using just about anything else. Not to mention you can modify preexisting weapons to make them more powerful, such as adding barbed wire to bats, and so on and so forth.

As for the story in 'Dead Island' it's nothing special and is pretty much what you would expect from a modern horror movie. A group of unlikely people are forced to work together as they take on zombie hordes and battle with internal conflict. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The dialog is minimal, which I found to be a good thing, and the progression makes about as much sense as it should. All-in-all the story does a fine job of moving the game forward, and considering most people aren't playing for the story, it's nothing to complain about.

When it comes down to it, 'Dead Island' offers a gorgeous atmosphere, solid combat with a wide variety of weapons, tons off quests to get side-tracked with, a soundtrack that sets the tone perfectly, an acceptable storyline with acceptable characters, and an overall balanced XP system. Pick this one up if you're a fan of zombies, first person shooters, exotic island madness, and cheesy horror movies. And even if you're not a fan of any of those things, I mean, what's wrong with you? Not one of those things appeals to you? Are you sure you're okay? You haven't been...bitten...have you...!?!?!?!?!
  11. Feb 12, 2013
    great game, with replayability from different characters to select. although the overall main story is likely the same, the personal stories are different. i wished they would have delve further into each character's personal stories tho. its a 1st person survival horror game that takes some time to get use to the controls. some of the levels also feel a bit like walking in circles, wellgreat game, with replayability from different characters to select. although the overall main story is likely the same, the personal stories are different. i wished they would have delve further into each character's personal stories tho. its a 1st person survival horror game that takes some time to get use to the controls. some of the levels also feel a bit like walking in circles, well since its on an island i guess. not really many, terribly infected monsters to battle unfortunately. only mindless zombies and the tougher zombie. i think left 4 dead is better than this. it can get boring at times when you wander around too much doing the same thing collecting things, saving people, killing zombies...over and over. the story is decent but nothing memorable to me. Expand
  12. Jul 20, 2013
    There's something really satisfying about all of the close combat fighting in Dead Island. Sure the game is a bit buggy and the UI isn't great, but nothing gets your heart pounding quite like turning a corner and finding a suicider in your path. Although the quests can become a bit tedious towards the end, I still enjoyed my time with this game.
  13. Sep 14, 2011
    After all updates I am very satisfied with this game. It took me days to finish every side quest and explore every square meter of Banoi. I had to tweak the graphics with some 3rd party tools, but now the game looks so good I don't want to stop playing it. The coop mode is a nice addition and a lot of fun when you are playing with friends and I had no troubles relating to the mainAfter all updates I am very satisfied with this game. It took me days to finish every side quest and explore every square meter of Banoi. I had to tweak the graphics with some 3rd party tools, but now the game looks so good I don't want to stop playing it. The coop mode is a nice addition and a lot of fun when you are playing with friends and I had no troubles relating to the main characters immersing myself more and more in the story. Whilst the ending isn't too good it doesn't matter at all since this game is about having fun in a postapocalyptic paradise. Grab a weapon, modify it and wade through pools of blood and guts with your friends! Expand
  14. Apr 22, 2012
    After a rough launch i can say this is an amazing zombie game, alone in a giant island, or in coop mode with your friends, be the one of the few to leave the infected island of Banoii, fight for your life and the one of your friends, enjoy the side quest missions and the various selection of weapons, enjoy the high graphic of the game, this probably will be game of the year.
  15. May 23, 2012
    Dead Island is a awsome zombie FPS, theres little i didnt like on it, the gameplay and graphics are amazing. The reason i give this game an 8 is because personally, i dislike weapons with durability. This game is like Left 4 Dead 2, but much better graphics. The online play isnt near on par with L4D2. The only problem is....durability, i HATE games with durability (yes you can repair theDead Island is a awsome zombie FPS, theres little i didnt like on it, the gameplay and graphics are amazing. The reason i give this game an 8 is because personally, i dislike weapons with durability. This game is like Left 4 Dead 2, but much better graphics. The online play isnt near on par with L4D2. The only problem is....durability, i HATE games with durability (yes you can repair the weapons, but its all so unnecessary, pointless, theres no reason for it unless you want to waste time in a game feeling like your doing something thats required but accomplishes nothing, and so...it loses 2 points for that, i dont like to waste time, just to kill zombies and have a good time. Anyways a really fun game, id reccomend it to anyone who likes zombie fps, it was well done. I just wish that durability didnt exist. (its my personal prefrence to not have anything in a game that just wastes time, i prefer all action, but thats just me) Expand
  16. Jun 24, 2014
    Dead Island might seem like another zombie game, but it's not. It's sunny outside, your character runs like an idiot, and that's what makes this game different.

Once again, the added value comes from the mutliplayer experience, as you can get all together in car and break some zombie bones on the way. It's a bit buggy but it's not ruining the game at all The storyline is not the best

The storyline is not the best one, but it's decent, and some parts of the world are really challenging. It's horror, rpg, action, range and melee. I love it !

The weapon crafting is nice, even if you have to repair your weapons twice during the missions, but you can create pretty much everything and you find new weapons all the time to replace the old ones.

Conclusion : Forget the bugs, forget the sensation of unfinished game, this is fun and you know it !
  17. Sep 6, 2011
    Loving this game so far! Its fun, different and what I hoped L4D would have been more of. I have had no problem with controls and any issues other trolls have problems with. If u like survival horror, rpg and fps melee you will like this game. If you like games being a movie, then go away.
  18. Aug 21, 2012
    I will never understand how people can so virulently rail against a developer for releasing a game with bugs. Granted, this game had some huge ones on release day (I hear), the sad fact is that most games nowadays are released earlier than they should be, and have bugs/problems. While I agree this should never have become the norm, giving a game a 0-2 because of bugs that were resolvedI will never understand how people can so virulently rail against a developer for releasing a game with bugs. Granted, this game had some huge ones on release day (I hear), the sad fact is that most games nowadays are released earlier than they should be, and have bugs/problems. While I agree this should never have become the norm, giving a game a 0-2 because of bugs that were resolved within days is going to do nothing but lead potential future buyers away from purchasing a fantastic game that they would love. ********************************************************************************************************* That's exactly what this is: A fantastic game. People that were initially expecting the game to be like Dead Island or Left 4 Dead may be disappointed at first, but if they can look past their expectations, they will find a true gem. The closest actual comparison to this game is a zombie-themed Fallout 3 on a tropical island. Personally, I think this is by far the best zombie game on the market. Individual zombies are relatively weak and easy to pick off, but large groups of zombies become serious threats REALLY quickly, and larger "thug" enemies require some strategy to kill, rather than simply more bullets. At the same time, if you are reckless and swinging your weapon all over the place, you will run out of stamina, and even small groups will be challenging. I honestly think the combat is amazing, and is just about perfect, except for the fact that the characters' "kick" command (default button is E, I think) is a little overpowered, and it's easy to keep medium groups of zombies stunned on the ground by spamming it. If they nerfed it, though, the game might become too difficult. ************************************************************************************************************** Starting out in this game, be prepared to have crappy weapons that you need to repair all the time. It evens out later on, though, especially as you unlock other attacks. Case in point, I used to have 3 weapons that I needed to repair in every town visit, but by about level 16ish, I had 1 main weapon that only got down to about 50% durability, with less frequent town visits. This is a beautifully done, rock-solid (no crashes or glitches at all on my system), visceral zombie basher. It's DEFINITELY better with friends, but I even enjoy the single player campaign. If there were no release day issues, I firmly believe this game would have over an 8 user score. Expand
  19. May 23, 2013
    If You like zombie games You have to play this one. I had really great time with Dead Island. Crafting is interesting, graphics are nice, music is acceptable. If You close Your eyes for lots of small stupidities You will enjoy this game. Gameplay is nice and makes You play many hours without stoping. It is also very important to play Dead Island before starting Riptide.
  20. Sep 19, 2011
    a brilliant zombie game, which deals with the survival of an apocalypse, not the slaughter of the undead. while combat can be a tad tricky, keeping an eye on different things "stamina, health, enemy health, weapon condition) it is rewarding every time you take down an enemy, and while nearly all missions are collect X and come back, they are very varied.
    as for the variety of weapons, they
    as for the variety of weapons, they all have their pros and cons, and it can be tricky to find out what is better at what.
    while it did suffer with the first week (steam release) problems those were, and still are being overcome, (but some are still a bit prominent (my biggest gripe is the inability to launch the game with no internet connection)) i feel confident that techland will see these bug fixes through, and i await a dead island 2
  21. Nov 26, 2011
    A beautiful, gory zombie killing game. I have not really played other zombie games (aside from Half Life or Silent Hill 2) so my rating is from a mostly unbiased standpoint, as far as zombie killing goes. The RPG element is nice, the MP element is fantastic (when it works), the story is ok, but what really pulled me in was the beauty. It gave the nice feeling of fear, while not beingA beautiful, gory zombie killing game. I have not really played other zombie games (aside from Half Life or Silent Hill 2) so my rating is from a mostly unbiased standpoint, as far as zombie killing goes. The RPG element is nice, the MP element is fantastic (when it works), the story is ok, but what really pulled me in was the beauty. It gave the nice feeling of fear, while not being demonic (other games can be disturbing in a spiritual sense, this game is not), so I felt comfortable while being scarred to death. Expand
  22. Sep 16, 2011
    Based on what I've seen, Dead Island looks like a game with amazing graphics, scary looking zombies and views that look like post cards. (My brother owns a copy, I was watching him playing it.)

I'm undecided on whether to play or not, but I'd like to think I would play it.. eventually. I like zombies. I'm a huge fan of the Left 4 Dead games. When I saw the Dead Island trailer, where the little girl turns into a zombie, I thought "wow, this looks beautiful. This trailer is so sad."

Although I can't give Dead Island an official score, I'll give it a ten. Until I've played it.
  23. Nov 2, 2011
    after i saw everything i have to change my first review.
    now the worst bugs are patched, some still remain untouched.
    but, even with some bugs, (dissapearing weapons, texture failures,...) this is a great game. the gaming world is very large, you have a lot of enemies to fight, especially after the 2nd chapter. the missions are okay, the story and the ending look like there will be a
    after i saw everything i have to change my first review.
    now the worst bugs are patched, some still remain untouched.

the gaming world is very large, you have a lot of enemies to fight, especially after the 2nd chapter. the missions are okay, the story and the ending look like there will be a sequel.
    the sound effects are nice, the graphics very detailed.- especially the water, the enemies and the nature. sadly the gaphics are missing some reflections, but probably on purpose to make the game playable, even on slower systems.

if you dont feel like doing missions, you can just walk arround hours over hours, kill tons of zombies, with help of many different (craftable) weapons.

you can play the campain alone or with 3 friends in coop, really alot of fun.

50â
  24. May 24, 2012
    If you loved Borderlands and you loved LFD2 or maybe Dead Rising you gonna love this.
    The game environment is detailed and beautifully done.. as well as wide open to explore different methods and routes.
    The combat is bloody and squishy and frenzied and a load of fun with different weapons. The weapons are many and can be upgraded as well as created into some killer stuff. on my
    on my gtx275, core i7 920 running Win 7 / 64 it runs flawlessly maxed out and coop games are click and go no BS involved.
    I had a back log and grabbed this game on sale and it was a steal.. well worth every penny.
    Great job to the Devs
  25. Apr 27, 2012
    I must admit, against all negative reviews, i like this game. Not only because, it's polish game. Mostly because of very detailed and open world, simple but interesting plot, 100% steam integration ( VAC, co-op, achievements, steam cloud ) and elements of an RPG. As usual, there are some minor bugs, graphical mostly, but still, game runs smooth. Pure fun.
  26. Dec 25, 2012
    Ive only played the shooter chick and found the game rewarding. The best part of the game for me is the death animations of the enemies. I played a lot of Left 4 Dead 2 censored and still enjoyed it and looking back now and I wonder what I missed out on now that I'm enjoying Dead Island with all its gore enabled.

The monsters are okay, there are special infected but when you learn the

The monsters are okay, there are special infected but when you learn the type of elemental attack each one doesn't like you can dispatch them pretty quickly. Monster standing in water = electrical attack, and so on.

One of the odd things that strike me about DI is the scaling of character levels. What I mean is how monsters scale with you to the point that leveling up almost seems pointless. You don't seem to get a great deal more powerful because of this, in fact if weren't for a few entertaining skills and items it would be completely pointless. This for me is a drawback but not a game killer. I like to feel that I'm getting more powerful and I thought this game could have done a better job at that.

There are 4 Acts to this game which really need to be explored and largely can be while performing many and I mean a **** tonne of the games side quests. I can see the side quests being the largest negative for many people as they are almost all fetch quest which gets very tiresome. But the maps are very well done which I really enjoyed exploring and its worth playing thru to at least the jungle (Act 3) just to see what I mean.

One of the big positive for me in this game has to be the itemization. I love good itemization and I think this one has it. There isn't any real reason to care about the quality (exceptional item) of an item rather the prefix to its name is what really matters. The crafting system called mods is pretty cool and keeps me looking for more items to tinker with. Crafted items have some pretty nifty death animations too which has been, well alright I guess. I just enjoy getting those criticals rolling out in succession and watching the **** burn. xD

*spoiler* And that's pretty much it except to say there is a final boss battle and its pure lame crap. Its some dude that's a kind of cross between 2 special monsters, whoop diddy do and I thought the story sucked but I've always preferred good characters to stories anyhow which this game is also short on.
  27. Jun 20, 2014
    Loved the game. Great graphics, gameplay, and storyline. The vehicle driving is well done as well.
    There is a long and short campaign that merge the stories at the endgame.
    There is a long and short campaign that merge the stories at the endgame.
    The long campaign is the main storyline featuring one of 4 characters. Every level is detailed and lengthy, but not boring. Even the side quests (technically the grinders) move smoothly as the collection rate for necessary items isn't high at all.
    The short campaign follows a law officer trying to find his wife, and eventually meeting up with the 4 survivors from the main storyline.
    The ending has a twist.
    One any difficulty the game is still challenging. Ammo, and carry space, are realistically done, and there is a surplus of good weapons to be found. I didn't want the game to end, but felt satiated and satisfied when it was finished.
  28. BMF
    Sep 9, 2011
    I have been having loads of fun since Dead Islands shakey launch techland takes zombie smashing to a whole new level with a epic damage system and RPG goodness all coverd in a nice FPS wrapper. The shipped steam version was origanaly a buggy dev copy of the game but was quickly patched. Any launch bugs will be forgiven the first time you smack a zombie with a blunt object and his arm boneI have been having loads of fun since Dead Islands shakey launch techland takes zombie smashing to a whole new level with a epic damage system and RPG goodness all coverd in a nice FPS wrapper. The shipped steam version was origanaly a buggy dev copy of the game but was quickly patched. Any launch bugs will be forgiven the first time you smack a zombie with a blunt object and his arm bone breaks and juts out of his arm in slow motion then if you want to realy over do it break their other arm and kick them over and laugh while they squirm and try to prop themselfs up with their usless limbs. Slashing weapons are just as visceral opening huge gashes and lopping heads arms and legs alike. Dead Island was built for 1 to 4 players. Difficulty seamlessly scales to your specific number of players and level so the action stays ballanced. Overall if you like killing zombies and you like RPGs and shooters this is your game 9/10 for a shakey launch and bugs. Expand
  29. Jan 13, 2013
    Nonetheless, I reach Dead Island. This game is filled with zombie-murdering. You want a big tough colored guy that can hit people with things? You got it here. You want a guy that can chuck things twenty feet, hit the zombie, and come back to him like boomerang? You got it here. You want a chick that can murder zombies with bullets? You got it here. There are five characters total in thisNonetheless, I reach Dead Island. This game is filled with zombie-murdering. You want a big tough colored guy that can hit people with things? You got it here. You want a guy that can chuck things twenty feet, hit the zombie, and come back to him like boomerang? You got it here. You want a chick that can murder zombies with bullets? You got it here. There are five characters total in this game, choose one, and team up with your friends and kill some zombies, and complete quests!

Onto some other parts of the game here, the game is not ALL about doing quests. You can trade with friends, you can buy things, sell things, team up with others and just have some fun, ect. I haven't gotten too too in depth with the story just yet, but eventually I will. If you love killing zombies, you will definitely like Dead Island. There is no doubt about it. Highly recommended.
  30. Sep 9, 2011
    The game itself is and was great. There's no denying that I loved the game and what it has to offer. But after the rush of enjoying the zombie filled world you start to realize there are a lot of problems. The main problem being they shipped with a debug build of the game, which was basically a version they sent to microsoft built for the xbox 360, to find this out hurt me pretty bad, i'mThe game itself is and was great. There's no denying that I loved the game and what it has to offer. But after the rush of enjoying the zombie filled world you start to realize there are a lot of problems. The main problem being they shipped with a debug build of the game, which was basically a version they sent to microsoft built for the xbox 360, to find this out hurt me pretty bad, i'm very upset that they'd say to us and reassure us that our pc version is NOT A PORT, but look what happens, yes I know people make mistakes and the debug version on steam may just be an accident, but it's annoying, especially after waiting such a long time to finally play the game. I finally finished the game this morning and am happy to say I loved it and I cannot wait to go through and play it again with all the characters. When everything in the game works (co-op, graphics settings) it brings out the best in the game and it's fantastic. Expand
  31. Sep 7, 2011
    In record time, Techland has taken most of the major bugs out of Dead Island, and it's finally playable, and I can assure you that you will love this game. The "paradise lost" environment you find yourself in is somewhat low-rez, but definitely does a good job of conveying the general feeling of Banoi, as the island is called. What really brings the whole island together, however, are theIn record time, Techland has taken most of the major bugs out of Dead Island, and it's finally playable, and I can assure you that you will love this game. The "paradise lost" environment you find yourself in is somewhat low-rez, but definitely does a good job of conveying the general feeling of Banoi, as the island is called. What really brings the whole island together, however, are the NPCs you come across. They react exactly like you would expect during a catastrophe, and no two are alike. Weapon wise, there are all kinds of pipes, paddles, divers knives, kitchen knives, sports equipment, and even some firearms end-game to keep you happy, and like Dead Rising 2, you can combine them in suprising ways to further increase your killing potential. Each character specializes in a certain type of weapon, and each of their skill trees vary widely. All in all, now that the glitches are less of a problem, I can now confidently say that this might be worth the buy. Expand
  32. Mar 28, 2013
    Dead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thingDead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thing about the game is the sense of wonder and amazement as you walk around a high-detailed island. Attention to detail is everywhere and it genuinely gives the player a sense of realism and the integrity of the world and it’s inhabitants.

In the game there are lots of weapons to use from Axes to Metal Pipes to Brass Knuckles and more. In fact there’s a larger emphasis on melee weapons than guns. There’s also a lot of scavenging, along with repairing and upgrading weapons.

There are a variety of zombies from slow ones, to fast ones and a few boss ones here and there. The quests are varied and the backstory is well written. Combat is solid and feels enjoyable, particularly when swinging a heavy object or using a bladed weapon.

You can learn a variety of new skills, the different ones vary with characters, including regenerative health and a ‘fury mode’ which is charged by killing zombies.

In the standard game, you will be using melee weapons for the majority of the time, but the DLC Ryder White’s Campaign does grant the player much more in terms of gunplay. Overall this is a great game and definitely worth it’s price.
  33. Sep 7, 2011
    Dead Island,.. A big WOOOW. The game is beautiful, awesome storyline, stunning voiceacting, hilarious killing mechanism.
    If you are one of those who likes zombies, and want to kill them like in Dead Rising, then this game is definitely for you. Deep Silver did an awesome job giving us a great opportunity to live the game environment like if we were the character and it allows to play with friend in co-op which is the key of the game success!!
    This is one of the most expected games of this year (2011) and i'm enjoying every moment of it.
    This game is worth every penny spend buying the game. Buy it and play with your friends!!
    I'm promising you something, it will be one of your best experience when playing with your friend in co-op.
  34. Sep 27, 2011
    This game is pretty good, but not great. The reason I'm giving such a decent score is because I am a massive fan of zombie games. I'll keep it short and I'm not going to be as long winded and critical as some people.. anyway, the game scenery is great. The combat is well done, although I wish there was a stronger gun focus (melee is good but there is a lot of it). The customization ofThis game is pretty good, but not great. The reason I'm giving such a decent score is because I am a massive fan of zombie games. I'll keep it short and I'm not going to be as long winded and critical as some people.. anyway, the game scenery is great. The combat is well done, although I wish there was a stronger gun focus (melee is good but there is a lot of it). The customization of weapons is pretty decent even if the weapons wear down fairly quickly. The game is definitely worth getting if you like zombie games.. it focuses on being as realistic as a zombie game can get (receiving high damage and getting knocked over constantly) and if quite addictive to play. Expand
  35. Jan 12, 2012
    This is one of those games you need to grab 3 friends and sit back and enjoy the ride! Played right through loving every bit of it, because even if a couple of parts are boring your mates come to the rescue and brighten it up! The gore is beautiful, some scenes are so nice they actually made me stop just to take a good look. So many people would of played this solo or with randoms and IThis is one of those games you need to grab 3 friends and sit back and enjoy the ride! Played right through loving every bit of it, because even if a couple of parts are boring your mates come to the rescue and brighten it up! The gore is beautiful, some scenes are so nice they actually made me stop just to take a good look. So many people would of played this solo or with randoms and I feel they're just missing out on what could of been an awesome experience. I can tell I'll be picking this up again after a while :) 10/10. Expand
  36. Mar 31, 2012
    I loved the game,its very fun, with friends or no friends , is a big open world , it have 4 beutifal and huge maps,there is a lot things to do , sometimes it has some glitches , but who cares ! It runs very good on all computers , i have 2 computers (this) it is very good and has good graphics , and another it is very slow but it runs perfect ! Everithyng on High! No lag , If u have aI loved the game,its very fun, with friends or no friends , is a big open world , it have 4 beutifal and huge maps,there is a lot things to do , sometimes it has some glitches , but who cares ! It runs very good on all computers , i have 2 computers (this) it is very good and has good graphics , and another it is very slow but it runs perfect ! Everithyng on High! No lag , If u have a laggy pc it doesnt matter , Buy it! Very awsome game Expand
  37. Sep 7, 2011
    First off, I have to say, do not even pay attention to the low user scores, They are simply pissed off impatiant people, and their reviews have nothing to do with the game. yes an extremely buggy wrong version was released on steam, But it was patched within a single day, The game runs great now as far as i can tell. Now about the game, it is a free roam zombie rpg game that takes place onFirst off, I have to say, do not even pay attention to the low user scores, They are simply pissed off impatiant people, and their reviews have nothing to do with the game. yes an extremely buggy wrong version was released on steam, But it was patched within a single day, The game runs great now as far as i can tell. Now about the game, it is a free roam zombie rpg game that takes place on a tropical island, basically everything i like about video games in one. However, the thing i like the most about dead island, is definitely the combat, The gorey zombie killing in this game feels more realistic than any other game i have played, Just the ability to chop off different limbs and kill zombies with numerous different weapons makes it that much more fun. Do not get this game confused with L4D, you do not kill 40 zombies with 1 shotgun blast like that game, At the beggining of the game you may even be overwhelmed by 4 or 5 zombies. But it feels like you are actually killing things and not just playing some arcade game. 10/10 Expand
  38. Mar 21, 2012
    I saw for first this game from a trailer where a little girl was dead on the floor and then went all backwords from the beggining where the family took a photograph which caught my attencion. I absolutly love this game, really, it just has fabulous graphics with such a great gameplay. The story is awesome where we can enjoy great enviroments with a great variety of weapons and characterI saw for first this game from a trailer where a little girl was dead on the floor and then went all backwords from the beggining where the family took a photograph which caught my attencion. I absolutly love this game, really, it just has fabulous graphics with such a great gameplay. The story is awesome where we can enjoy great enviroments with a great variety of weapons and character customization. Also the co-op which can add to 4 players adds the fun part of this game. I cant spot a single negative thing despite some soft bugs which is irrelevant. I recommend everyone to try this game, its really fun and entertaining and if you like zombies or watched Walking Dead then this is your game. Also the Ryder White DLC adds those missing pieces of the puzzle. Expand
  39. Apr 7, 2013
    This game is amazing. I've played through it singleplayer and both co-op. The co-op was the. Most fun with 4 players although 2 players was also good. An amazing open world game a lot of custumizable weapon selection, and fun (but repetitive) gameplay, this makes for a good experience. I can't wait for the sequel coming out this year.
  40. Sep 10, 2011
    I like zombies a lot, though I can understand people who say that they are over-rated. I mean, there are so many movies and games about zombies, that making a game about zombies will not seem original. But, Dead Island is original. There is no other zombie game with such fantastic melee fighting, and such nice and open world. It is a lot of fun to just explore the island. The plot doesn'tI like zombies a lot, though I can understand people who say that they are over-rated. I mean, there are so many movies and games about zombies, that making a game about zombies will not seem original. But, Dead Island is original. There is no other zombie game with such fantastic melee fighting, and such nice and open world. It is a lot of fun to just explore the island. The plot doesn't seem original, and neither do quests really, but, at least for me, most of them are fun. It's really fun how many survivors are out there, that barricated themselves in huts or wherever. They'll always need our help one way or another. There are many weapons which we can improve, or craft new ones. Similar to Fallout:NV, except that here we use melee weapons most of the time. I didn't play co-op a lot, since as of now I don't have any friends to play with. But as much as I played with random people, I must say that.. I just don't know if there's a bigger sense in playing co-op mode. This game is nothing like L4D. Sure, it may be fun to kill zombies together but you'll never really feel like you're badly needed. Maybe it is tougher later down in the game, I wouldn't know, but so far I've been playing alone and I didn't have bigger problems. Died only few times. The truth is though ,when you play with friends.. every game is be fun. And playing Dead Island together with friends would be fun aswell, methinks. But as for playing with random people... I dunno, I think I'd just recoomend L4D better. The character skills tree seems to be done well. Our opponents' level is matched to ours, but when we join somebody's else game and they have low level... Opponents are matched to the host level and then we can truly see how stronger we became. As for the graphics, the models could be better, but how detailed the world is, the light effects and stuff like that, the views... It all makes the game beautiful. Makes you want sight-seeing. As for characters, there are 4 characters with background stories, explaining their life and why are they on the island... And they aren't bad. Each character has different specialities too. I think that's all I wanted to tell about the game, really. If you're a fan of Fallout/Oblivion and like zombies, you'll love this game. Ps. I just realised I'll add one more thing. Plenty of bad things could be said about the multiplayer but then again there is no other RPG with such well done multiplayer.. It's sorta like playing Fallout or Oblivion with someone. Pros: -Amazing melee fighting system. -Beautiful, open world that just makes you want to explore it. -Gore. -Well done character. Cons: -Plot. -Repetitive quests. -Multiplayer could be done better. Expand
  41. Sep 6, 2011
    Alright let me just say first off that as of now this game is fantastic if you're one of the lucky ones it works well for but incredibly frustrating if you have the issues some other people have. Since there will be patches though, I'm only judging the core gameplay here because I'm sure it will improve as they fix it up. For me, this game has so much I've wanted in a zombie game where itAlright let me just say first off that as of now this game is fantastic if you're one of the lucky ones it works well for but incredibly frustrating if you have the issues some other people have. Since there will be patches though, I'm only judging the core gameplay here because I'm sure it will improve as they fix it up. For me, this game has so much I've wanted in a zombie game where it takes place in a large open world and supplies are realistically limited so that you really have to scavenge for supplies which encourages exploration. The combat in this game is a lot of fun and the gore from beating down zombies with blunt objects is incredibly satisfying and with the limb breaking it's also realistic. There's also a TON of sidequests and a lot of weapon mods to craft which will be taking up even more of your time. As far as graphics go, the island looks gorgeous and even with the bright sunny atmosphere, it managed to scare me many times with the infected screams and other ambiance. Only real flaws I've found with this game is that the coop seems rather broken as of now and the story and character development is subpar to say the least. I'd say this is a must buy AFTER it's patched up a bit. Expand
  42. JEK
    Nov 24, 2012
    6.8 user score? Are you kidding me? This is one of my favorite games. Good scenery, good graphics( so-so), no problem with the controls, good story. You can brutally kill zombies with any weapons. It's open world and you can create your own weapon. If anybody 's complaining about the bugs you can easily fix it with some patches. But that's not right rating this game very low because you6.8 user score? Are you kidding me? This is one of my favorite games. Good scenery, good graphics( so-so), no problem with the controls, good story. You can brutally kill zombies with any weapons. It's open world and you can create your own weapon. If anybody 's complaining about the bugs you can easily fix it with some patches. But that's not right rating this game very low because you have problems installing it etc. This is 10/10 for me. I'm looking forward to Dead Island: Riptide. But for the meantime, I'm planning to buy Far Cry 3. Expand
  43. Sep 6, 2011
    Beautiful! This hell truly does look like paradise and feels like the best zombie slayer this year. The graphics are great and the game is incredibly easy to run! If you don't fall in love with the game play than you'll truly enjoy the rpg elements! Great game Play IT!
  44. MB_
    Oct 10, 2011
    This review is for the AK47s For All version of Dead Island. Unless you are a profound geek you do not want to play this game without that mod. Just google "AK47 FOR EVERYONE MOD v4.0" and you can transform this game from a scouring baggage sim to a jolly fine blood bath. I also used the 'Dead Island Helper' to remove some of the silly bloom fx and over saturation. With those two thingsThis review is for the AK47s For All version of Dead Island. Unless you are a profound geek you do not want to play this game without that mod. Just google "AK47 FOR EVERYONE MOD v4.0" and you can transform this game from a scouring baggage sim to a jolly fine blood bath. I also used the 'Dead Island Helper' to remove some of the silly bloom fx and over saturation. With those two things and removing XP/hit point messages this game becomes so much more fun.

Loads of varied missions, massive maps, great graphics, loads of fun. I not only have recommended it to friends I bought it for them. No joke. It's great.

Please remember though that the first few chapters are all about doing bog standard things like learning driving and navigation and using the shops. Oh and that if you don't play with the mod you will have a much more boring and laborious time.

Have fun!
  45. Sep 10, 2011
    Dead Island is an entertaining game. It isn't a "open world" but instead a "map world" which forces the player to fast travel to each location. Each map is large enough to have a few hours in but exploring the island on your own isn't a possibility. Is the island (maps) huge? Simply stated, no. Although each map is large/medium it doesn't compare to other game in terms of world size. EvenDead Island is an entertaining game. It isn't a "open world" but instead a "map world" which forces the player to fast travel to each location. Each map is large enough to have a few hours in but exploring the island on your own isn't a possibility. Is the island (maps) huge? Simply stated, no. Although each map is large/medium it doesn't compare to other game in terms of world size. Even exploring is slightly boring and tedious. Only a few interesting things to find but nothing encourages you to explore since the developers put little effort in placing entertaining things/objects/locations to find. Explore, see zombie, kill zombie. That's about it for exploration besides a couple of locations. The graphics are dated but are just barely passable. There are some graphical issues like explosions that are invisible and areas of maps which haven't been properly edited. There are glitches but what game nowadays isn't plagued with them? Most will hopefully be dealt with in upcoming patches. The storyline is laughable and barely interesting. The developers wanted you to feel something for the characters but it never comes across. The voice acting isn't good and the characters themselves (main and side characters) are one dimensional with poorly written dialogue. The developer also made the characters a cliché. For example, the Chinese character has a horrible cliché accent glorified during the 1960-70s kung fu movies. The quests, and I've done most if not all of them, are repetitive. Not to mention there isn't as many as the developer alluded to during production and the promotion of Dead Island. All this stated, the game is fun whether on your own or with a few friends and you'll find yourself doing the quests just for the exp. Overall, this game shows promise but falls drastically short of being what it could have been. However, you'll never get bored of crushing a zombies head with your foot or slicing it's head off or even burning them "alive". I can see this game spawning a Dead Island 2 in the future. Oh and for anyone that thinks this game is going to be like the theatrical trailer for it (the one with the family), you won't get that. It was a theatrical trailer promoting the game (not gameplay) it was meant to put the game in the minds of consumers not to display what the game will or will not have. Expand
  46. Feb 19, 2014
    Apesar da críticas ruim é um ótimo game e recomendo. Os usuários que deram notas ruins são fanboys do Left 4 Dead que estão com inveja porque o Dead Island é tão bom quanto ele.
  47. Sep 7, 2011
    good idea, just expect the graphics to be so much better, as for the whole wrong version release i just don't buy it. the patch really didn't do much, also can not connected and play with friends unless we setup a VPN 1st. what happen with working with steam-works? i almost feel ripped off i expected a lot more for my 50 bucks, maybe after Friday everything will be patched up and workinggood idea, just expect the graphics to be so much better, as for the whole wrong version release i just don't buy it. the patch really didn't do much, also can not connected and play with friends unless we setup a VPN 1st. what happen with working with steam-works? i almost feel ripped off i expected a lot more for my 50 bucks, maybe after Friday everything will be patched up and working correctly but till then this game is almost a let down. Expand
  48. Dec 26, 2011
    Wow, where to begin, a simply amazing game that is a MUST get for zombie lovers, the sheer horror you experience when you see the undead feasting as you wander the streets of dead island, with flimsy weapons and a small cardio tank, you will always be on edge while playing this game whether you are running from a horde of infected or battling against a swarm of walkers, this gameWow, where to begin, a simply amazing game that is a MUST get for zombie lovers, the sheer horror you experience when you see the undead feasting as you wander the streets of dead island, with flimsy weapons and a small cardio tank, you will always be on edge while playing this game whether you are running from a horde of infected or battling against a swarm of walkers, this game capatilizes and delivers on everything i expected and more. There is no loading screens between you and the zombies i must add (such as dead rising) as soon as you open the door to the outside world the zombies are there and ready, this game is the definition of the survival horror genre, and even if you are not a zombie lover you will still enjoy this game, a must buy. Expand
  49. Vex
    Jul 7, 2012
    This game is just sublime, I haven't had this much fun in ages. I've been looking for a decent game recently that would suck me in and wouldn't bore me to tears but I had no such luck until I picked up Dead Island. Graphics are just amazing and the game looks better than 90% of current games on the market. Visually, it's just stunning. Gameplay mechanics are pretty good as well,This game is just sublime, I haven't had this much fun in ages. I've been looking for a decent game recently that would suck me in and wouldn't bore me to tears but I had no such luck until I picked up Dead Island. Graphics are just amazing and the game looks better than 90% of current games on the market. Visually, it's just stunning. Gameplay mechanics are pretty good as well, considering it's basically an RPG crammed into a first person perspective. Now, the best part about this game is the open world setting that allows you to roam around the island as you please and just explore and do whatever you like. Lots of games these days are touted as "open world" but it's quite rare to find a truly open world game like this. Performance wise, the game runs perfect (everything maxed out) on a 5 year old PC with the only fairly new part being Geforce GTX 460. Draw distance is amazing and the island renders perfectly and with no performance drops over large distances as well.

I haven't experienced any bugs, crashes and issues that everyone keeps talking about, but then again, I picked this game up 10 months after its initial release so I assume the developers have already fixed everything there was to fix.

The only reason why it doesn't get a perfect 10 from me is because the dialogue part of the game (with NPCs) is binary and you get to only accept or refuse quests and there are no real dialogue trees. If this game had the dialogue on the par with Mass Effect, it would definitely be a 10 in my book.
  50. Dec 6, 2011
    Dead Island is a FPS Zombie Killing Multiplayer Sandbox RPG. Its just as good as it sounds. Only problem is that all of the zombies level up at the same rate you do, so unlike most rpg's back-tracking is often just as dangerous as advancing and if you don't get better weapons as you level up you get **** :) 8/10
  51. Sep 12, 2011
    If you are looking for a decent co-op this IS your game. I was playing with this game with 2 of my friends and I tell you we are having a real blast. There is nothing original in the game so to say, but it has every classic bit of zombie films including references.
    The graphic as others mentioned before: the humans animations are flat out horrible, the zombies look great however. The environment is gorgeous we stopped several times and said: wow while taking screen shots. The game has 5 different type of environment through the story and it does not feel rushed.
    The sound and background ambiance together with the music is also very very good.
    The bugs: I was lucky enough to play with the after-patch version only and played through the whole game without anything game breaking.
  52. Apr 19, 2013
    Very entertaining game of which you can play with friends, the random matchmaking system is also very well made and really encourages players to go out there and meet other people. The side quests can get very entertaining and driving through a city full of zombies with your friends spraying from the back of the car because you want to secure the box of juice you just looted for no reason.Very entertaining game of which you can play with friends, the random matchmaking system is also very well made and really encourages players to go out there and meet other people. The side quests can get very entertaining and driving through a city full of zombies with your friends spraying from the back of the car because you want to secure the box of juice you just looted for no reason.

Different from left 4 dead series, Dead island's open space means you don't need to be in a rush to finish the game. Looking forward to the sequeal
  53. Sep 20, 2011
    tl;dr: In a nut shell, Dead Island is like playing Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, and a touch of Condemned all at the same time. Some of the bells and whistles that give each of those individual games part of their charm is absent, but concocted together like this makes for a completely unique, innovative experience. Despite the odd glitch or two, Dead Island is a solid entry intl;dr: In a nut shell, Dead Island is like playing Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, and a touch of Condemned all at the same time. Some of the bells and whistles that give each of those individual games part of their charm is absent, but concocted together like this makes for a completely unique, innovative experience. Despite the odd glitch or two, Dead Island is a solid entry in the zombie genre that deserves its place among the greats.

If you're a cynical, jaded, veteran gamer, then like me, you sincerely had no expectations for Dead Island. Well you may have if you saw that exceptional pre-release trailer, but then Deep Silver producer Sebastian Reichert dashed all hopes when he made it a point to say that it was not reflective of actual gameplay, but merely meant to set a tone. After underestimating the deadliness of my first zombie encounter, and consequently getting annihilated, I'd say he has it all wrong. Unlike the zombies in Dead Rising that prove to be little more than road hazards, Dead Island zombies are comparatively terrifying. Slip up your guard once when you're surrounded and you're likely to become zombie chow. Not only that, but al a Condemned 2, once you do finally get your hands on a gun, good luck finding ammunition. Although it becomes much less scarce later near the end of the campaign, you will never feel like a double ammo-belt wearing, gun toting, killing machine. Alone or with friends, the tension you feel in knowing this remains constant. What more could a zombie apocalypse game fan ask for?

Amazingly enough, I could go on, but between drop in and drop out online co-op that works just as well as either Left for Dead game, as well as modifiable/upgradeable/repairable weapons, why are you even still reading this? Go buy it.

Before you do though, I should mention one teansy little problem. Although none of the bugs in this game are deal-breakers, there are enough of them to warrant a point deduction. My hope though is that this game is very successful and that a proper sequel with all the necessary improvements wont be far behind.
  54. Sep 7, 2011
    If your computer can run this game without any problems, then buy this game!
    This is the best zombie game I have ever played, It has 4 player coop, amazing graphics, and fun, zombie-killing action!
    I played this game ALL NIGHT the day it came out (Monday at 9pm on steam). My friend and I just played and played, killing hundreds of zombies. This is a very fun game, if your comp can
    If your computer can run this game without any problems, then buy this game!
    I played this game ALL NIGHT the day it came out (Monday at 9pm on steam).
    My friend and I just played and played, killing hundreds of zombies.
    This is a very fun game, if your comp can handle it (luckily mine can).
    BUY IT NOW
  55. Jan 25, 2013
    I played the goty Dead Island. I know nothing of how it was at release, what I know is how great this game is. Solid 100 hours of gameplay and satisfying action. Half horror half shooter. Its NOT an horror dedicated game but has its moments. Recommended.
  56. Aug 14, 2012
    Pros: Good graphics, fun melee combat, Borderlands-style weapon drops and class system, lots of quests and areas to explore. Cons: still buggy (August 2012) graphics, sloppy map design (i.e. I jump into inaccessable areas a lot), repetative gameplay. Fun if you like zombie survival, open world, and co-op games, and don't mind a lack of polish. P.S. This game is perfect forPros: Good graphics, fun melee combat, Borderlands-style weapon drops and class system, lots of quests and areas to explore. Cons: still buggy (August 2012) graphics, sloppy map design (i.e. I jump into inaccessable areas a lot), repetative gameplay. Fun if you like zombie survival, open world, and co-op games, and don't mind a lack of polish. P.S. This game is perfect for necrophiliacs, as there is a disturbing amount of half-naked zombies. =) Expand
  57. Apr 23, 2013
    If you happen to enjoy campy horror films, Dead Island is a game for you! The game is far from perfect, but the fun factor keeps me coming back for more zombie bashing mayhem. Also, bring along a few friends and (as most games) the game gets even better! Looking forward for more games in this series!
  58. Sep 7, 2011
    not a 10; game is an 8.5 but i just wanted to counter-act all the tweens raging about release issues. honestly its sad seeing the troll rage on the steam forums for the most trivial reasons only 12 hours after release. this is just one strong example of how metacritic userscores fail
  59. Sep 11, 2011
    After they made the first few patches and fixed the accidental release of the in-house dev version all in all its not too bad. The Player Characters themselves have Wonky and Strange Animations, but the Zombies are well animated. The graphics are good, The choice of weapons is decent. Little disappointed at the fact that there were so few guns. I love the idea of limited ammo and shotsAfter they made the first few patches and fixed the accidental release of the in-house dev version all in all its not too bad. The Player Characters themselves have Wonky and Strange Animations, but the Zombies are well animated. The graphics are good, The choice of weapons is decent. Little disappointed at the fact that there were so few guns. I love the idea of limited ammo and shots count but there's very few choices in guns. It has a few glitches mostly graphical, it is annoying though that all the dialogue in the game is centered around Co-op along with the Cinematics. If your playing solo it can be somewhat annoying and confusing seeing the other characters even though they arent with you.
    I did enjoy the game though. Story was pretty lame and quests were down right appalling as if they were written by 9 year olds. One such quest, "Were starving here! We need more food, Go to the gas stations and pick us up two boxes of Juice!" .... Um.... Ok..... Relevancy 0 Strange 1. Anyways if you can overlook the strange quest flaws its a good game to play-thru and then maybe shelve or sell.
  60. Sep 12, 2011
    Right... I can say that I'm enjoying it so far. Some comments that I've seen compare it to Fallout 3 mixed with left4dead, mixed again with Borderlands. IMHO that's certainly true; but with a hint of FO (but the dialogue is one-sided) a large dash of Borderlands (particularly the skills sytem), a sprinkling of Oblivion (in as much as it's heavily melee combat oriented) a pinch of DeadRight... I can say that I'm enjoying it so far. Some comments that I've seen compare it to Fallout 3 mixed with left4dead, mixed again with Borderlands. IMHO that's certainly true; but with a hint of FO (but the dialogue is one-sided) a large dash of Borderlands (particularly the skills sytem), a sprinkling of Oblivion (in as much as it's heavily melee combat oriented) a pinch of Dead Rising 2 (combining items to make better weapons) and it has all the zombie gore of l4d.

I can't say with all honesty that it's better than L4D as they're games of a very different ilk; L4D is of course very heavy on gunplay, and Dead Island's emphasis is very much on melee combat. But the delight (and the occasional howl of anguish!) of it's combat system is in the improvisation that you find yourself doing - split second judgement even. You will find yourself thinking "right, I'm gonna throw this at here Fast Zombie sprinting towards me, then a quick kick to this one on the right, pick up this hammer here and try and break the arm of the one on the left....". Notice I said "break the arm". I could have equally said "cut off the arm" - which in itself is fantastic - this game gives you the ability to chop off various limbs (although you won't see any zombies dragging themselves along by their arms if you cut both legs off - believe me, I've tried!). It is hilarious though, watching a zombie trying to headbutt you to death!

The game is not perfect; there are some graphical glitches and the main storyline is a bit weak and dull in places. However, for the sheer joy of going toe-to-toe with the walking dead (and revelling in the resulting gore!) you can't get any better than Dead Island.
  61. Oct 8, 2011
    After having played this game for dozens of hours now both in single and multiplayer I can safely say it is the most fun I have had gaming in a long time. I have been gaming since the Commodore 64 days and it takes something a bit special to pique my interest these days. Dead Island was this game. Fairly derivative, true, but it combines all the elements so well. The story isn't going toAfter having played this game for dozens of hours now both in single and multiplayer I can safely say it is the most fun I have had gaming in a long time. I have been gaming since the Commodore 64 days and it takes something a bit special to pique my interest these days. Dead Island was this game. Fairly derivative, true, but it combines all the elements so well. The story isn't going to win it any awards but it doesn't need to. It is simply a tool for pushing you forward to the next beautifully detailed area. Single player tends towards a paranoia inducing survival game - having you jump out of your seat every time you get set upon by some unsuspected shamblers. Multiplayer I think of almost as a thug simulator; your group charging around smashing the heads of everything in sight. It is a great fun romp and pretty to boot. Is it perfect? No. But it is tremendous fun and highly replayable. 10/10 for being the most fun I have had playing a game in ages. Expand
  62. Jun 3, 2012
    It's too bad metacritic won't let you view a rating within a time period, the current rating is highly weighed down by a faulty launch that they patched. Also lots of the negative ratings are about lack of guns... this is clearly a melee zombie smashing game. Even some recent review say bugs -- the game NEVER crashed on me once, rock solid.

On to the game. The scenery is spot on, you

On to the game. The scenery is spot on, you will never look at a resort the same, the hotels, bars, even the diving posters around the island look exactly like these places do, so much it's spooky. As you venture out into the jungle, the scenery maintains a high quality, you find yourself looking around the island... it's not the new Crysis graphics by any means, but it's very nice and well produced.
    I played this game single player and prefered it as such, only if you were going from beginning to end with certain / same people would I want to play multi. Random people joining online was a PITA, I felt most who joined my game were an unwelcome addition, luckily you can drop out easily.
    The end scene running through the dark corridors was so damn creepy, I hate it and love it. I felt such a sense of "GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!". I promise you won't leave the game until you beat it from that point because you'll feel haunted by it. That was the climax of the game for me. The storyline/cutscenes were a little cliche & fake, but that run through the hospital... damn. 15 hours of game play for me. Ideally I think they could have cut 3 hours out and it would have been better. I don't plan on playing the campaign again, the DLC arena looks like fun.
    The skill upgrade tree is fun. Weapons are not invincible and require maintenance (many people list this as a con, but I love it, added realism, added challenge when your weapons start failing). Weapon modification is fun.

Cons: Like many games you find yourself as the game's **** every quest is doing something for someone, you advance the game by doing 'quests' that you're asked to do, ironically you are given an option to take them, but have to say YES to advance in the game. Everyone needs your help, I hate that, give me MY mission MY way, let me tell them what to do or they can figure their own way off the island. There's no explanation of how inventory works, how rage works, some things are left for you to figure out (you may not know they're even there, review binded keys, btw if you have no MMB use "C" for your weapon changes). I still don't know how to read the weapon stats, what the numbers/symbols mean, I just know which ones I like (nail'd baseball bat FTW) and that work well.
    No save feature! You have to go until you reach a checkpoint, usually within 15 minutes.

Glitch: Your precious weapons can disappear!! I (once) threw all my weapons at a puker and as I went to pick them up, they disappeared with them!! Could not believe it. Restarted the checkpoint, then restarted the game, they were still missing. So be aware of this and DO NOT throw your favorite weapons.
    Also.. the rage is over powered, I beat the end boss within seconds by raging and running around him. It was over in a flash.
    No punishment for dying, you lose a little cash and get full health from where you died (so.. why use a health boost when you can just die and have full health in 2 seconds???). I've even had the game ADVANCE me when I died.

Summary: I think (hope!!) we'll see more dead island. I got this on the 66% off sale and it was worth it. For $15 or less, it's an instant buy. Full price... not sure, watch the youtube gameplay videos and if you like what you see you'll like the game. I will be buying the arena DLC because I just want to mindlessly smash zombies and not be the island's #1 go-to **** I think I'd enjoy that more and wish it was included.
  63. Jun 9, 2014
    Dead Island Is a mix between Borderlands and Left 4 Dead! The graphics are good despites the glitches that occurs often in the game! Also It is mostly made for Co-Op, If you play alone you will get to act 2 and also bored to death! Otherwise, play with 3 of your friends online and you will have a lot of fun! I recommend it for any fans of zombie games!
  64. Sep 11, 2011
    This is the best Zombie game ever made, any Zombie fan wants this game, yes its very like Fallout 3 but I remember when playing FO3 i thought to myself, ''wouldnt it be great if they made a zombie game like FO3''. Left 4 Dead was all we had before this but for real zombie fans L4D was a let down, Left 4 dead could have had Aliens or Monsters and it would be the same game, Zombies spawningThis is the best Zombie game ever made, any Zombie fan wants this game, yes its very like Fallout 3 but I remember when playing FO3 i thought to myself, ''wouldnt it be great if they made a zombie game like FO3''. Left 4 Dead was all we had before this but for real zombie fans L4D was a let down, Left 4 dead could have had Aliens or Monsters and it would be the same game, Zombies spawning out of nowhere sucks but that aside left for dead had alot to offer as a multiplayer action game, saying that Dead Island its very similar to L4D in multiplayer. **** dead island is very similar to Resident Evil 4-5, Olbivion, fallout, farcry 2. its like the Dev's played all these games and made the perfect Zombie game from them, not very original but who cares. The only problem is now we have the perfect zombie game, Zombies are starting to get boring and over done in games and movies, yes it has bugs but nothing too bad that cant be fixed over time, I can see scores going up over time and a possible GOTY nomination. this game is on par with Deus ex and the Witcher 2 for best game of the year. It is a must buy if you love zombies, rpgs and survival horror. The almost perfect mix if not a little too late. Expand
  65. Sep 20, 2011
    I'm 20 hours in and loving this. The combat doesn't dissapoint, the looting is even more addictive than in Borderlands, the graphics are up to standards, and the interesting environment makes the sidequests (which are basicly fetching, or going to touch a button) worth it.

Surprise hit of the year, for me. Thumbs up.
  66. Sep 25, 2011
    regression the early hours of a zombie infection Dead Island: regrea a classic zombies. could play this out from the mind of George A. Romero, rarely find loading screens, ensuring free exploration few are accustomed to first-person games with melee weapons, but I liked the change ami to other games ... he usually does worse in some cases
  67. Dec 30, 2011
    Zombie mashing at it's best. If you like zombies, this game delivers. The combat is exciting and multiplayer makes it even more entertaining. I've got nothing bad to say about this game.
  68. Dec 22, 2012
    Story:9/10-Brilliant.
    Gameplay:9/10-Brilliant.
    Graphics:9.5/10-Brilliant.
    Music:8.7/10-Fantastic.
    Replay Value:8.7/10-Fantastic.
    Overall:9/10-Brilliant------An Amazing Open world game which will keep you entertained for a long time.
  69. Sep 15, 2011
    Best Zombie GameBest Zombie Game Evar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  70. Sep 10, 2011
    Although I haven't completed the game yet, I can safely say it is a good one. I've played around 11 hrs so far and love it. It really has that sense of actual survival to it, searching for items, money, food etc (except for only losing a bit of money and re spawning near where you died.) And being able to modify and create weapons but not to the retarded extent that Dead Rising 2 did withAlthough I haven't completed the game yet, I can safely say it is a good one. I've played around 11 hrs so far and love it. It really has that sense of actual survival to it, searching for items, money, food etc (except for only losing a bit of money and re spawning near where you died.) And being able to modify and create weapons but not to the retarded extent that Dead Rising 2 did with weapon modifications. I personally didn't experience any of the bugs and issues that a lot of people seem to have, and the only thing I don't like is that there is no v-sync option (only minor though). It's nice too to have a different setting, as the game is set in Papua New Guinea not the typical American setting etc. The developer techland, has managed to create a good and well fitting atmosphere for a zombie apocalypse.

Co-op is extremely fun, and the drop in drop out co op for me has worked flawlessly with no issues at all. Certainly a worthwhile purchase
  71. Oct 8, 2011
    A fantastically enjoyable romp through a zombie-infested island. This game is incredibly fun alone, and with others, everything just clicks. Melee combat is implemented well and surprisingly, gun combat is even more fun. Probably the goriest game today - every model has a full three layers: bone, muscles, and flesh. There is no present story, but agree with me when I say this - when youA fantastically enjoyable romp through a zombie-infested island. This game is incredibly fun alone, and with others, everything just clicks. Melee combat is implemented well and surprisingly, gun combat is even more fun. Probably the goriest game today - every model has a full three layers: bone, muscles, and flesh. There is no present story, but agree with me when I say this - when you want to get a zombie survival game, what will you expect to be DOING? Surviving! The lack of story does not bother me. The environments are beautiful, and so are the models. However, there are only two cons I can think of.

1: All characters have botox faces and are not well-animated. (better than common characters used in Deus Ex: Revolution though)

2: There is no excuse as to why your mouse has to be permanently at a very slow speed when using a menu or the inventory.
  72. Jul 19, 2012
    We as FPS gamers are on a downward slope - everything is getting more and more boring where AAA titles are OK and anything less we don't have the interest to finish. Dead island was one of the first games in a long time (since...Quake 3?) that I couldn't put down - literally played through the night without realizing it (THAT right there is the sign that a game is good). For what it'sWe as FPS gamers are on a downward slope - everything is getting more and more boring where AAA titles are OK and anything less we don't have the interest to finish. Dead island was one of the first games in a long time (since...Quake 3?) that I couldn't put down - literally played through the night without realizing it (THAT right there is the sign that a game is good). For what it's worth, use the (gasp) Xbox 360 controller on the PC and switch the aiming to analogue. I just loved slicing zombies heads off, curb stomping them and beating them to a pulp to the ground (and then some like a dirty street scrap). Had many memorable moments and jokes among my friends with the game. Only downside is that once your done the game you really don't want to play through it again (at least me)- but hey, I paid $39.99 for it and I don't regret it. Expand
  73. May 8, 2013
    This game has great potential, I like the open world RPG ,LvL system and skills, Crafting weapons its cool,the art work and world design are great! but I think that there is a unbalanced weapon system and there is so poor weapons to find in the world and a short variety for the ammo the same, if they fix that and put like x20 more Zombies and add something like chainsaws, M60This game has great potential, I like the open world RPG ,LvL system and skills, Crafting weapons its cool,the art work and world design are great! but I think that there is a unbalanced weapon system and there is so poor weapons to find in the world and a short variety for the ammo the same, if they fix that and put like x20 more Zombies and add something like chainsaws, M60 flamethrowers, etc, I would give an A+ and a 10 :D Expand
  74. Feb 2, 2013
    This is a very violent product. A lot of blood, a lot of stress because the threat is everywhere. You can join anyone who is around the map. The multiplayer's system is original. The difficulty is correct and fights are very dynamic. Enjoy
  75. Feb 12, 2014
    Well,, The Graphic is Incredibly welldone and the Combat system with those zombies is thrilling I just loved it,, It is the best FPS Zombie horror genre game I ever played
  76. Sep 9, 2011
    Found no bugs so far. Likely because I got it on the 9th while the guinea pigs got it on the 6th. :>

Real fun game to play with friends and the world is pretty huge.
  77. Sep 24, 2011
    Welcome to Dead Island! Please enjoy your stay on our scenic (if some what glitchy) tropical island. A few comments I want to make about the game; one it's glitchy - you can and will fall into scenery from time to time, or in between objects and get stuck. Occasionally sprinting zombies will phase through closed doors, and sometimes you will fall off ladders because you passed too close toWelcome to Dead Island! Please enjoy your stay on our scenic (if some what glitchy) tropical island. A few comments I want to make about the game; one it's glitchy - you can and will fall into scenery from time to time, or in between objects and get stuck. Occasionally sprinting zombies will phase through closed doors, and sometimes you will fall off ladders because you passed too close to another object. On the brightside, reloading from the last checkpoint doesn't change anything on your character. You keep all items, experience and durability - for better or worse.

Two; the story is shallow and so is the voice acting. The main characters all have fairly solid voice acting, but every supporting character sounds like an archetype, especially the Australian accents which sound right out of Crocodile Dundee 2. Three; the combat is clumsy. Every character feels like they are drunk and it is hard to tell exactly at what angle you should be spamming attack at to get the most hits off on a zombie before your character starts clumsily trying to adjust for proximity to target.

Four; great visuals... so long as you don't look too hard. Ditto, the sound effects. You see everything is gorgeous, it's not Crysis gorgeous, or even Farcry 2 pretty, but it's magnificent. The problem is that there is texture ripping, you will see weapon reflections in the water distort, or water effects disappear in blood filled pools. It's a problem. As for the sound, it's possible that maybe my speaker setup isn't ideal, but all too often the screaming of the flesh-hungry infected doesn't correspond with where they are actually located.

Five; lack of killer instinct. A small complaint, but Left 4 Dead zombies weren't afraid to put the boot in when you went down, Dead Island zombies knock you down and proceed to leave you be... until you stand up again. More punishment please, make me more scared to get into combat.

But stay with me here; these three things do NOT hinder the game in the least, they are things that can be fixed later on or with mods. What matters here is the ATMOSPHERE, and this game has an unlimited supply of it. From the minute you escape the hotel, to your first fight on the beach, you will be awed by the beauty of the game, from the way arms and legs break, to your first head splatter or decapitation kill on a zombie. Combat, while clunky feels good when you land a blow. A sledgehammer to the head knocks zombies on their ass, while to the arm likely breaks it and forces the zombie to attack with the other arm - and if that goes, headbutting and biting you instead.

When you finally get a firearm, late into the game you will hoard your limited ammo and save it for your human antagonists who, like yourself, are much more sensitive to a bullet in the brain pan than even the zombies. This game is all about melee and thrown weapons and it works in it's own special way, because it makes you fear getting surrounded or surprised, you worry about hordes of zombies and you will panic when you hear and then see your first infected screaming and sprinting at you. All weapons have stats, durability and are randomly generated, they can be upgraded, modded and otherwise improved. This gives the game longevity, especially when combined with the Borderlands-esque levelling and skill progression system. Finally, co-op. Just like Borderlands it's drop in/drop out, you get to keep all your loot and experience, as well as quest progress - provided you're close enough in level to the person you are playing with. All in all this is a game well worth getting, even with it's many flaws, if only for the satisfyingly visceral combat and tense atmosphere.
  78. Sep 6, 2011
    Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombie survival horror with item collection and character skill advancement trees. Its as If Borderlands and Dead Rising got together and had a baby, that baby would be dead Island. This game has rich four player co-op, simple yet effective story, a deep weapon crafting and character customization system. Do you love zombies? Exploration?Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombie survival horror with item collection and character skill advancement trees. Its as If Borderlands and Dead Rising got together and had a baby, that baby would be dead Island. This game has rich four player co-op, simple yet effective story, a deep weapon crafting and character customization system. Do you love zombies? Exploration? character advancement? item collections? co-op? then dead Island is a no brain-er. The only reason this game doesn't get a ten is due to a slightly bugged user interface that should be fixed this week with a patch.

I would like to add that Dead Island on a high end pc is the ultimate zombie killing experience. This version has no texture loading issues, great control and much better graphics over all.
  79. Sep 13, 2011
    A botched early release will likely keep it from winning any awards, but Dead Island is a pretty excellent game. The first-person melee is very fluid- it's what Deus Ex 3 should've had instead of that context-insensitive BS. Even though the enemies stayed consistent almost the entire game I still found the combat more satisfying than that of its shooter/looter cousin, Borderlands. The gunsA botched early release will likely keep it from winning any awards, but Dead Island is a pretty excellent game. The first-person melee is very fluid- it's what Deus Ex 3 should've had instead of that context-insensitive BS. Even though the enemies stayed consistent almost the entire game I still found the combat more satisfying than that of its shooter/looter cousin, Borderlands. The guns are scarce for a while, but there are plenty in the late-game. Also, as opposed to Borderlands, the world feels more like a an actual WORLD, and the environments are amazing. The drop-in drop-out multiplayer can reliably find you someone to play with most of the time. It's better if you have a group, but not necessary. The cutscenes in which your whole group appears are a little jarring if you're playing alone, but you're not playing it for the story.

Which brings me to the story- standard zombie apocalypse video game fare, despite what the tear-jerker trailer would have you believe. Some of the voice acting is sub-par. The voice actor for Logan in the opening cutscene sounds like he's reading off a script and has never been drunk in his life. Not a good start.

Overall, the thing that really makes it is the first-person-melee. They provide enough weapons and enough attack options such that it stays challenging. It's the first time I've seen it done well in a game, and I hope it spawns imitations. Really tired of seeing "Press A to engage cutscene mode" as an alternative.
  80. Mar 19, 2014
    A fun zombie-killing experience that has the right blend of difficulty, horror, and whimsy. It's not the best game - tons of glitches for one - but it is hours and hours of fun, great solo or in multiplayer. There are shortcomings of course: the sections where firearms are required get a bit tedious, and firearms themselves seem pretty weak when stacked up against the ridiculous amountA fun zombie-killing experience that has the right blend of difficulty, horror, and whimsy. It's not the best game - tons of glitches for one - but it is hours and hours of fun, great solo or in multiplayer. There are shortcomings of course: the sections where firearms are required get a bit tedious, and firearms themselves seem pretty weak when stacked up against the ridiculous amount of melee weapons you can get your hands on. There's also a fair bit of dumb design decisions in there, like making Alcohol an item that can take up a weapon slot, or having higher level weapon modifications available before the lower level variants. Despite that, the melee combat is both fun and challenging. The game holds up decently well, though it loses a bit of its charm in the later levels when things veer away from the combination of beautiful scenery with horrifying zombies. Still, it's not like it stops being fun, it just loses a little bit of that humorous juxtaposition.

All in all it's a great game, even moreso on the PC since it is HIGHLY moddable. Don't like some aspect of the game? There's probably a mod out there to change it.
  81. Sep 10, 2011
    Game was a disaster on launch, however it was patched quite quickly. The game now runs stable and beautifully provided you edit the games video settings file. The FOV is still very narrow, though this is expected from a console port. The game itself is loads of fun, it is not the dramatic zombie survival game we were all hoping for however. Food and items re-spawn within minutes of leavingGame was a disaster on launch, however it was patched quite quickly. The game now runs stable and beautifully provided you edit the games video settings file. The FOV is still very narrow, though this is expected from a console port. The game itself is loads of fun, it is not the dramatic zombie survival game we were all hoping for however. Food and items re-spawn within minutes of leaving an area, ammo is hardly as scarce as was suggested. Expand
  82. Sep 20, 2011
    Don't believe the people who strike this game down for all the "bugs". In my experience the game is no where near as broken as people say it is. I believe in "don't shoot the messenger" in this situation. The game is good and the developer is working hard to fix the issues that are arising. Yes it's inexcusable that the game was shipped in such a poor state but that's the developer's faultDon't believe the people who strike this game down for all the "bugs". In my experience the game is no where near as broken as people say it is. I believe in "don't shoot the messenger" in this situation. The game is good and the developer is working hard to fix the issues that are arising. Yes it's inexcusable that the game was shipped in such a poor state but that's the developer's fault and not the game's. Dead island is a fun and satisfying co-op rpg with some very unique elements to it that make it distinct. If I have any issues it's that guns feel weak and the game suffers similar balance problems to borderlands in that enemies become either too easy or too difficult in the higher levels. Though the game looks pretty in pictures it doesn't stand up as well when in motion. There's simply nothing eye catching about it's visuals. It creates what it set out to create well but the end result simply can't hold up against other recent games that feature tropical environments. Though I do recommend dead island Id'e say to wait maybe a month or so for bug fixes but be sure that dead island is good fun and doesn't deserve the hatred allot of people have for it. Expand
  83. Oct 4, 2011
    Personally, I haven't seen much of these problems that people use as the driving force behind the negative reviews. The only problem I have is the fact that this game is unforgiving. Unforgiving, however, in a good way. I feel that if I get rushed by zombies, I need to pull something out of my ass to survive, and typically, it doesn't work out. This game feels like true Zombie SURVIVAL,Personally, I haven't seen much of these problems that people use as the driving force behind the negative reviews. The only problem I have is the fact that this game is unforgiving. Unforgiving, however, in a good way. I feel that if I get rushed by zombies, I need to pull something out of my ass to survive, and typically, it doesn't work out. This game feels like true Zombie SURVIVAL, and that's the thing that this genre really needed to refresh it. 8/10 Expand
  84. Sep 10, 2012
    Perhaps the best most realistic zombie game ever made.

The hit detection is more advanced than any other game out atm. Example: you chop a zombie in the arm with a machete, the arm gets chopped off, after that he only hits your with his other arm, and if you chop off his other arm he will try to bite, headbutt and kick you. Although the multilayer isn't awesome the single player puts
    Perhaps the best most realistic zombie game ever made.

Although the multilayer isn't awesome the single player puts L4D2 single and multilayer to shame. There is no unlimited health or unlimited ammo, you will never feel like your running though the same map made with some POS map editor (Hammer) along the exact same path over and over and over just to get a better score. Its different every time; you have somewhat of an open world scenario where you can trade weapons with other survivors at hideouts. If you shoot a zombie in the hand you wont kill him. You can play this game how ever you want.
  85. Sep 25, 2012
    Claro es: no es una historia brillante, pero es realmente entretenido por lograr la sensación de agobio al no haber lugar donde no exista la posibilidad de ser atacados por zombis. Al ser un juego pensado en el combate cuerpo a cuerpo se abona la posibilidad que nos ofrece de adquirir objetos del entorno y convertirlos en armas (las armas de fuego son escasas) y dejar aClaro es: no es una historia brillante, pero es realmente entretenido por lograr la sensación de agobio al no haber lugar donde no exista la posibilidad de ser atacados por zombis. Al ser un juego pensado en el combate cuerpo a cuerpo se abona la posibilidad que nos ofrece de adquirir objetos del entorno y convertirlos en armas (las armas de fuego son escasas) y dejar a decisión del jugador si es prudente o no entrar sólo o acompañado a una zona. La dificultad del juego es alta, dada la cantidad de estos seres que no dudarán en atacar en masa y hay variedad de ellos, cada uno con cualidades propias de su tipo. Recomendado para jugarlo en cooperativo (hasta cuatro jugadores). Expand
  86. Sep 19, 2013
    This hell looks just like paradise. One of those games that can be played over and over again. Definitely not a perfect game (many bugs, physics is appaling, But damn it's really addictive fun. Nice vacation. 84/100
  87. Oct 22, 2011
    I acquired this game from Steam less than 1 week ago. Let's take care of the negatives: Since I was not an early adopter of the game, I didn't suffer the 'corrupt' SAVE issue many users have mentioned. I can appreciate how that would infuriate many people. I believe that PC issue has been resolved in patches. What I have continued to experience though, is wonky inventory situationsI acquired this game from Steam less than 1 week ago. Let's take care of the negatives: Since I was not an early adopter of the game, I didn't suffer the 'corrupt' SAVE issue many users have mentioned. I can appreciate how that would infuriate many people. I believe that PC issue has been resolved in patches. What I have continued to experience though, is wonky inventory situations where an item just wont pick up even though I have space. Not a big deal though, as I've managed to understand how the problem occurs and how to rectify it. I'm sure it will be dealt with at some point. Another issue is the awkwardness of weapon selection, using the middle mouse button to bring up the now popularized circular selector. It would make things easier if I could hot key each item, rather than awkwardly select with the mouse. Once again, hopefully the developer hears this and sends out another patch.

Positives: The game's quest system, whether it's primary, secondary or continuous quest lines are well designed with a helpful cookie trail to follow your way to the destination. The quests themselves are really enjoyable, I haven't gotten bored of any of them, nor do they seem repetitive or 'fed-exish' . This is important to me, as I will quickly lose interest in a game if quests become mundane or identical. Four unique characters to chose from. Pick your preference and have fun with him / her. There's co-op too, although playing with strangers can be annoying. Some people like myself, like to open all loot bags, chests etc. Whereas others I have played with like to fly through and ignore potential loots. For my own enjoyment, I prefer playing this as single player, so I can take my time by completing quests and looting at my leisure.

The sound effects, background ambiance really set the mood, creating quite a scary scenario. Well done.

The graphics are top notch in my opinion, with light / shadows being exemplary. I'm running crossfired ATI 5770's with an i7-860, 4gb ram, win 7/64-bit. Both cpu and graphics cards are at stock speeds. Not sure what the average frames-per-second is, but it's quite smooth, no complaints. Now, if I could understand what they've done with anti-aliasing and anisotropic settings, then I'd be happier. Yet, as it stands the 'High' settings across the board @ 1920 x 1080 looks like candy to my eyes. The artificial intelligence is quite good. The varieties of zombies will challenge you and you simply can't approach all encounters slicing wildly. The zombies can and will interrupt you, throw things at you and even straffe you to attack your side or flank [namely 'infected' zombies]. I have died many, many times due to being overwhelmed or performing a bad decision attack. Granted I'm not an avid video gamer, yet the challenge is definitely there. Worst case is you lose money and continue a few meters from where you died. Weapons degrade with use that you can 'repair' upon finding a repair/upgrade workbench scattered around. This feature alone makes you think twice about wildly swinging and instead makes you rely upon well placed hits or even kicking approaching zombie. Dismemberment is done with style.
    You can also throw your weapons, toss grenades or molotov **** at groups of zombies. At close proximity though, a grenade is likely going to blow you to smithereens as well, so don't go bonkers with explosives ;) For gun enthusiasts, there is one of 4 characters to chose whose specialty [read bonus damage] is guns. Otherwise, most of the time you'll be swinging your cleaver, knife, machete, or maybe breaking bones with sledge hammers and maces. There are upgrades you can buy for weapons and 'mods', which will gives you a chance to electrocute, poison or set ablaze your target for example.

All in all, a fun game. Yes, this is a long game and so far I'm enjoying it and feel that I'm approximately 1/2 way through. There is very minor 'farming' to do to acquire cash. You don't have to, and there are alternate ways to acquire money to buy your goodies. I definitely recommend this game to all.
  88. Nov 10, 2011
    Its a great game if you want open world RPG action with zombie killing and weapon costumisation you got it.Sure there are a few bugs and that but nothing game breaking.Buy it you wont regret it.
  89. Jul 26, 2012
    Overall a fun experience, especially multiplayer despite a dodgy progression system. Only thing i disliked was the terrible voice acting and accents other than Sam B.
  90. Nov 21, 2011
    Gameplay: 9 - Amazing. 1st-person melee combat has never been better in any other game. Dead Island allows you to slice and break individual limbs of your undead foes. Different strategies are required for different enemy types. Thugs need their arms broken, and suiciders are best taken out from a distance. The only thing dragging this game down at all are the bugs (of which there areGameplay: 9 - Amazing. 1st-person melee combat has never been better in any other game. Dead Island allows you to slice and break individual limbs of your undead foes. Different strategies are required for different enemy types. Thugs need their arms broken, and suiciders are best taken out from a distance. The only thing dragging this game down at all are the bugs (of which there are many).
    Story: 8 - Great. Cookie-cutter zombie story with a twist: You're on a Resort Island.
    Graphics: 9 - Amazing. Banoi is beautiful. The environments are breathtaking. Enemies vary in appearance. Only people look strange. Faces seem unemotional, and many of the citizens of Banoi look aged when looking at their face, yet young when looking at their body.
    Sound: 9 - Amazing. Creepy music is accentuated by terrifying zombie screams!
    Overall: 9 - Amazing.
  91. Feb 16, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game. I think it went a long way to bring back the intensity of horror games, by combining some traditional zombie elements with more fast paced mutant varieties, it gives a tense, panicky feel to a lot of the encounters. It is definitely more dead space than resident evil, having an almost pure action feel to it. Still, there are lots of moments of tension whenI really enjoyed this game. I think it went a long way to bring back the intensity of horror games, by combining some traditional zombie elements with more fast paced mutant varieties, it gives a tense, panicky feel to a lot of the encounters. It is definitely more dead space than resident evil, having an almost pure action feel to it. Still, there are lots of moments of tension when entering new areas, particularly when you're cramped in a dark hallway or narrow corridor and hear that piercing scream of something getting ready to charge you. The graphics are really beautiful, especially the first act. I loved just travelling through the picturesque resort and seeing everything created to the smallest detail, with gruesome additions. The blood filled pools were particularly effective. Weapon crafting, specialization and character customization make the journey much more dynamic, as you have more choice how to dispense with the zombie hordes. Combat is gory and satisfying, and i think it's an amazing acheivement. The story isn't as engaging as it could be, and the npc's seem wooden and uninteresting, they keep sending you on extremely tedious sidequests that only put off the main story. That's why i couldn't give this a full score. But beyond that, the best zombie game in years, and a top notch horror game in general. Expand
  92. Oct 15, 2012
    This game might be a little gitichy here and there, but when you move further in the story, playing alongside your friends and killing zombies not only with knifes and baseball bats but also with guns or modded weapons, this game becomes a masterpiece. The story is, as I find it, very entertaining and easy to follow, although other people find it really bad. I have been playing this withThis game might be a little gitichy here and there, but when you move further in the story, playing alongside your friends and killing zombies not only with knifes and baseball bats but also with guns or modded weapons, this game becomes a masterpiece. The story is, as I find it, very entertaining and easy to follow, although other people find it really bad. I have been playing this with two characters singleplayer and me and my friends are still playing the coop part of the game to truly finish all quests. One thing I know, I'm so gonna preorder the next chapter! Expand
  93. Sep 10, 2013
    Maybe Dead Island was a disappointment when it came out, but apart from the bugs and some of the unimaginative side missions this game was amazing, the places you can go and explore where awesome,
    scavenging money, weapons, and food hasn't been so fun before, this game I would say it's very underrated. This game is a must, especially if you have a friend to play with.
  94. Sep 8, 2011
    Immersed on a zombie island in a more realistic approach. While having to repair my weapons on a regular basis may get monotonous it pushes me to be more selective and focus my skills in an intelligent way. Those who are sipping "hate-orade" on this game need to lighten up. It's got a great setting, good looking gameplay, and very fun. It's worth the purchase.
  95. Sep 8, 2011
    Trust the critics on this one! By the time you've read this, you might already have heard about the problems @ release. That seems to be the main complaint with people. Since after the patch everything works just fine, this complaint is no longer valid.

What is Dead Island? Its smashing zombies heads in with hundreds of different weapons, with different stats and levels (unique and special weapons ). Its upgrading your weapons with your hard earned cash.
    It's by far the best look'n'feel I've seen in a melee fps ever ( go f... yourself oblivion )
    Its collecting blue prints for special weapon mods ( simple, but effective and fun crafting system ). Its tons and tons of loot. Its dozens of sidequests, plus an athmospheric main quest. Its collecting XP for an unexpectedly interesting skill tree.
    Its managing the deteriorating conidtion of your weapons.
    Its a kick ass intro song.

Its..... all kinds of crazy fun. All that in an engine with virtually no loading times and a smooth framerate even at high settings. Now there are some bad things aswell. The driving, being very very arcade, doesnt count to the games strengths. BUT: a) youll be on foot like 99% of the time, since this no gta clone. b) if you need the car its effective and brings you safely from a to b...in these moments you wont regret this not being gran tourismo c) C'mon guys, the protagonist shatters the windshield when it's cracked like the thoughtful bastard he/she is - thats gotta count for something :)

Also something PC players ( like me ) might dislike: theres no quicksave/load option since the game relies on checkpoints only. But since I'm usually a quicksave spammer, I appreciate the change of pace. This game is easily one of the best Zombie/Infected ( minispoiler ) games out there and has to mentioned along with games like left 4 dead and dead rising. But be advised ( or intrigued ): this game has a gore factor of Dead Space * Bloodymess Perk ( Fallout series ).
  96. May 24, 2014
    I would have given the game a higher score if it didnt have so many bugs still till this day. Love the game but the developers took too many shortcuts with the game and ruined it in certain areas. But i get which direction they wanted the game to head towards but just couldnt do so.

Overall, its been 2.5 years and I still love the game.
  97. Sep 25, 2011
    Awesome game, especially for someone who has friends to play it with. Really nice graphics and logical controls, not like many of those console ports offer today. Well, maybe menu is a little weird to operate at times, but nothing major. The big plus is length and difficulty level. It's really hard sometimes to play it solo, and even with friends. Prepare to die a lot if you're not payingAwesome game, especially for someone who has friends to play it with. Really nice graphics and logical controls, not like many of those console ports offer today. Well, maybe menu is a little weird to operate at times, but nothing major. The big plus is length and difficulty level. It's really hard sometimes to play it solo, and even with friends. Prepare to die a lot if you're not paying attention. Also game length is awesome. There are many side quests, random events and places to explore. Some people say there are technical issues. I didn't experience any. MUST HAVE FOR EVERY ZOMBIE FAN Expand
  98. Sep 22, 2011
    This game near classic but some bad decisions can make u mad.Like u can see all characters in cut scenes even you're playing single.That made me choose to skip all cut scenes.I were alone but after 1 sec i were swarmed with NPCs like i playing coop in cut scenes.And auto equip could be enabled or disabled in options menu.A few times i were attacking with alcohol bottle in my hand becauseThis game near classic but some bad decisions can make u mad.Like u can see all characters in cut scenes even you're playing single.That made me choose to skip all cut scenes.I were alone but after 1 sec i were swarmed with NPCs like i playing coop in cut scenes.And auto equip could be enabled or disabled in options menu.A few times i were attacking with alcohol bottle in my hand because of this. Expand
  99. Sep 12, 2011
    I can't believe that some people give this a stupidly low score because of a couple of minor bugs. This game is great and is far less buggy on the day of release than so many big games I have played lately! Anyone remember Black Ops - unplayable for over a week! For me, the only bugs I have seen is a couple of floating objects (which loads of games have lately) and I can't kick theI can't believe that some people give this a stupidly low score because of a couple of minor bugs. This game is great and is far less buggy on the day of release than so many big games I have played lately! Anyone remember Black Ops - unplayable for over a week! For me, the only bugs I have seen is a couple of floating objects (which loads of games have lately) and I can't kick the sandcastles over (which is not a bug but a shame). My mate who has AMD GFX had issues with some lighting, but that will do down to AMD drivers and not the game as it is perfect on my NV card.

Back to Dead Island... it works like a cross between Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead set in Crysis - it's great fun. The story and the characters are pretty good and the fighting is awesome. The game is very pretty, but set on a pacific island it's hard not to be pretty - but that aside, the graphics are done well but they are quite intensive.

Can't wait to get home and play this again!
  100. Nov 15, 2011
    the best zombie game out there thus far. it still needs allot of work in the animation department. as well as emotion. but its overall fun if i had to summarize it, i would say Fallout 3 meets Zombie Apocalypse. there was one thing i wish they had added it would have to of been the removal of the skill tree and implementing a learn as you go system based on how you playl. example if youthe best zombie game out there thus far. it still needs allot of work in the animation department. as well as emotion. but its overall fun if i had to summarize it, i would say Fallout 3 meets Zombie Apocalypse. there was one thing i wish they had added it would have to of been the removal of the skill tree and implementing a learn as you go system based on how you playl. example if you favor guns. then well the more you use it the better you get at it, the same would go for melee combat. oh and giving the option to play your own custom character. Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.