Dead Island PC

6.8

1. Sep 17, 2011
    Well, when I first picked up Dead Island, I was a bit leery of what I was going to get here- coming from games such as oblivion and all, I was not expecting much. But to be honest- this game delivers a bit more than what you bargain for.

Graphics/Optimization On PC- 7.5 This game, is really nothing to proud of in the graphics department- the textures are a bit shoddy, but get the job done

Graphics/Optimization On PC- 7.5
    This game, is really nothing to proud of in the graphics department- the textures are a bit shoddy, but get the job done nicely while still looking nice. On the PC, it runs just very nicely on very old systems To say the least, they did a fine job of making the game look good- while having good performance. Some people complained about texture popup- but to be completely honest, it was either too subtle to see, or I did not experience any at all.

Gameplay- 9
    Now this is where things get interesting- imagine having a swarm of zombies coming at you- and you having a bat and knocking the living daylights out of them. In Dead Island, you can do that. You will have firearms in dead island- but they are very rare, and should be used sparingly, some people complained about this- and some people should really look into the game before buying something dont like, and giving it a low rating. But- to say the least, the combat system is perfect, the world is just GIGANTIC. There's so much to see and explore, it's ridiculous. You can even upgrade your weapons, and mod them- to make them your own. This game is really something special when it comes to the weapons, to say the least, you wont be disappointed in the gameplay department.

Sound- 9

This game wins in the sound department, everything from the zombie sounds is very well executed. At times- I was actually listening for the zombies, and the game managed to scare me with the sounds a few times. Well done Techland.

Enjoyment. 8.5
    I'd have to say, you're going to have a blast, just trust me. Coop is really fun.

Overall- 9
    This game is very well done, it's different than the RPGs we see these days, and should be enjoyable for most.
  2. Sep 17, 2011
    Great game. It's fun to kill zombies by baseball. Espiecially Co-OP. LOVE IT:)

Great game. It's fun to kill zombies by baseball. Espiecially Co-OP. LOVE IT:)

Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombie survival horror with item collection and character skill advancement trees. Its as If Borderlands and Dead Rising got together and had a baby, that baby would be dead Island. This game has rich four player co-op, simple yet effective story, a deep weapon crafting and character customization system. Do you love zombies? Exploration? character advancement? item collections? co-op? then dead Island is a no brain-er. The only reason this game doesn't get a ten is due to a slightly bugged user interface that should be fixed this week with a patch. I would like to add that Dead Island on a high end pc is the ultimate zombie killing experience. This version has no texture loading issues, great control and much better graphics over all.
  3. Sep 17, 2011
    A very immersive game with great combat mechanics and a lots of customisation for you character and his weapons . Graphism are realistic and zombies looks like real ones so you will be scared by a horde of them screaming all around you ! A must buy if you like to slaughter zombies and rescue people . The story could have been a lot better but the game will haunt you for dozens of hours ...
  4. Sep 18, 2011
    I love this game its Fallout 3 meets L4D. I like the survivalist type games and this definitely gives me that. Sure there are some issues, but I haven't had what allot of people are experiencing since release. People complain of not enough guns...well do you have a loaded AK-47 with 200 rounds in your closet if a breakout starts...didn't think so. I want real world and I think this is aI love this game its Fallout 3 meets L4D. I like the survivalist type games and this definitely gives me that. Sure there are some issues, but I haven't had what allot of people are experiencing since release. People complain of not enough guns...well do you have a loaded AK-47 with 200 rounds in your closet if a breakout starts...didn't think so. I want real world and I think this is a good start. Weapons degrade as they should...trick... always kick zombie to the ground and aim for the head w/blunt weapon and happy times for all. Overall a great game that needs a little polishing...but what new game is perfect from the start? Expand
  5. Sep 18, 2011
    just to get one thing straight i DONT give high or low scores to balance out others(which is stupid) so when i say 9 i mean 9. This game started out with a lot of bugs but they have been working hard and fix the major ones. as far as the game goes it was very well done but where it really shines is the co-op. the co-op is not only fun but was done very well, when you have others with youjust to get one thing straight i DONT give high or low scores to balance out others(which is stupid) so when i say 9 i mean 9. This game started out with a lot of bugs but they have been working hard and fix the major ones. as far as the game goes it was very well done but where it really shines is the co-op. the co-op is not only fun but was done very well, when you have others with you there are sightly more special zombies and my favorite is the loot scales. so if you are a higher level and you are helping your lower level friend you can still get useful stuff for you! Overall its a fun game with good combat, rpg, and co-op. Expand
  6. Sep 18, 2011
    Dead Island is one of the best games this year it is unique and has tons of replay value i find it satisfying to chop off a zombies head legs arms and going into a blood rage and killing zombies in bloody gory fashion if you like RPG's Zombie Apocalypse's you will love this game the only problem is pop in and that's not even a big deal i suggest you pick up this game as soon as you can
  7. Sep 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best zombie game I have played in a long time. The rpg elements are great, the co-op is a welcome bonus, and the combat, very cool how you can sever limbs and break bones. I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes rpg and/or zombie games. Expand
  8. Sep 20, 2011
    Dead Island is one of the most entertaining cooperative experience that i ever played, because even if it was a little buggy, it managed to have a funny gameplay, awesome graphics and a lot of guns.

The character need to slay zombies with all of your crazy weapons and other stuff to earn experience for leveling up. Also it manages an amazing skill system that contain amazing upgrades to your character or your arsenal.

The story was solid, with a lot of drama and it have amazing creative main quests and unique side quests that gives the game a sense of great entertaining.

Dead Island may have some bad things like the shipload of bugs or graphic problems, but it still being one of the best action, horror, zombie slashing games that i ever purchased in my entire life.
  9. Sep 21, 2011
    5 minutes into it I thought, 'This is a melee version of Borderlands'. Which is great because I enjoyed Borderlands immensely. There are many similarities to BL as to how characters advance and their given talent trees. Even the weapons follow a similar naming and color coding to hint at how good a weapon is. A major difference is though weapons degrade and can be modded with extra5 minutes into it I thought, 'This is a melee version of Borderlands'. Which is great because I enjoyed Borderlands immensely. There are many similarities to BL as to how characters advance and their given talent trees. Even the weapons follow a similar naming and color coding to hint at how good a weapon is. A major difference is though weapons degrade and can be modded with extra damage types (fire, shock, bleeding, etc.) once you have the upgrade mod collected, and have found the components you need found randomly around the vast searchable areas. Plenty of side quests to do instead of the following the main quest line, or you can just explore the vast open areas scourging for cash and bits of gear to upgrade your weapons. The game is fun single player, but improves moreso with multiplayer (especially co-ord mates playing), and the game scales accordingly to the number and levels of players. Fighting goes from flanking and nipping at bigger opponents to full on carnage with breaking bones and flying limbs against weaker targets. Each character has a special rage ability which builds up and then gets unleashed at your time and choosing in the fighting style of your character, and can be a game saver when overwhelmed. A 9kg gas bottle makes for an impressive impromptu bomb when thrown into a mire of enemies and shot. Homemade deodorant can bombs and Molotov's also impress. Visually impressive and seems mostly bug free after the initial release problems. Runs very well on my modest computer (E5200 dual core @ 3.5Ghz and HD6950. Win XP). Sound is good with lots of crunching and slicing effects. Music is fair, but most of the time you listening for the zombies anyhow.

Well worth the $50 dollars on Steam for my vote.
  10. Sep 22, 2011
    Nice Game, blood everywhere. Xp, and evolution tree for characters, nice... physical combat is intuitive and really fun, weapon mods and upgrades gives a new taste to games like that, for me is a left4dead mixed with fallout and borderlands all together. if you like one of this games, go ahead for Dead Island.

++++ recommended.
  11. Sep 25, 2011
    I want to start this off by saying Dead Island is an amazing game.
    Somehow it was put on for public execution when it had a rough release.
    I also want to add -- I had no problems technically with this game!! The bugs everyone complained about - for the last 3 weeks of playing this game I have only encountered one (1) bug and I can't even remember what it was. Also many games have the
    I want to start this off by saying Dead Island is an amazing game.
    Somehow it was put on for public execution when it had a rough release.

I also want to add -- I had no problems technically with this game!!

Also many games have the same troubles when they launch. I think its ridiculous that Dead Island should be scourged for it and every other game skids by with no comment on its launching problems...

ANYWAYS!

From the get-go you start off alone, and in the middle of a mysterious zombie outbreak. The ambiance and environment your set it does a great job of unsettling you. Walking through a deserted hotel with nothing but the sounds of zombies groaning in the background takes me back to the good old scary experiences i had when i first loaded up Resident Evil 2 and felt like i was trapped in a horrifying city of zombies. Dead Island does a great job of selling the scene.

The graphics are outstanding. Ive seen some other reviewers/critics dis the graphics and call them rough and low resolution and I have to question which rig they were using. Because Dead Island is on par with games like Crysis 2, better graphics than COD:Black Ops, and also on par with BFBC2. But I must say they are used much differently. Lighting plays a big factor. The sun will break through the leaves on palm trees. Debris will float through the air. Lots of detail has been put into the game graphics wise. Those who are downing the graphics either need a better computer, or need their eyes checked. The graphics are just fine and look great set on High Settings.

Sound wise the game is decked out with the oh-so appropriate tension music. Background noises of zombies groaning, screaming, gunshots very rarely firing off. Its what you would imagine it would sound like. Unfortunately it does suffer from -some- poor voice acting. Gameplay. Its zombie survival meets RPG. You are forced to find many makeshift melee weapons as overtime these weapons will break and become useless to you. In the beginning of the game this is most noticed as most of the weapons you start with are just like the crappy dropped weapons you find at level 1 in Diablo II. But as you make your way through the game, pop open some weapons crates and find crafting recipes via sidequests you go from using a cracked boat oar to using a baseball bat with a motorized circular saw on the top of it. Your given the option of repairing, upgrading and crafting your weapons. NPCs in the game will also sell/buy any items weapons.

Weapons can also be thrown for extra damage. This is important strategy as sometimes you will face superior infected zombies that are not phased as easily. But throwing a heavy crowbar to the face will knock them down in their tracks so you can more easily engage the NEXT zombie currently charging at you. A simple kick action is also added to your arsenal for knocking zombies back providing you more space to work. its best worked to kick 1 or 2 down at a time to work on a 3rd opponent more easily. To go with the RPG side you can upgrade your skills to make your kicks more deadly or even crush the skull of a fallen zombie for an instant kill. Easily preserving your melee weapons so they don't suffer wear and tear as quickly.

Guns in game are rare, and so is ammunition. Best saved when you will end up fighting non-zombie looters who are taking advantage of the Dead Island. But do some in handy against a horde of zombies when you are injured and outnumbered. Much like all zombie games there are special types of zombies. Yes they are similar to the ones in Left 4 Dead. But i wouldn't call it a total rip off. I think there's just a general of idea of zombie scenarios that works and both L4D and DI have adopted the idea as the best one. That said, it doesn't take away from the game. They are all placed perfectly to challenge you. One zombie by itself is hard to kill. A special infected in a horde will cause you to consider your weapons, environment, and a backup plan and escape route. Your enemies are very effective at making you question your situation.

RPG gameplay is set to standard. Kill zombies = exp. Quests = exp. Exp = skill points for talent trees and extra life. To save my text limit I'll simply say the RPG system is perfect. The storyline is more based around the mystery of the outbreak and trying to survive. Hidden recordings tell a haunting story of a reporter investigating the island and beg to be found to know what happens next. simply awesome.

Multiplayer allows for an awesome drop-in/drop-out experience. Using either a lobby or simply picking up other users near the same part of the game as you. Very effective.

In short conclusion. Do NOT believe the trigger happy critics. Dead Island is an awesome survival horror RPG with solid multi-player. 9/10.
  12. Sep 27, 2011
    This game is pretty good, but not great. The reason I'm giving such a decent score is because I am a massive fan of zombie games. I'll keep it short and I'm not going to be as long winded and critical as some people.. anyway, the game scenery is great. The combat is well done, although I wish there was a stronger gun focus (melee is good but there is a lot of it). The customization ofThis game is pretty good, but not great. The reason I'm giving such a decent score is because I am a massive fan of zombie games. I'll keep it short and I'm not going to be as long winded and critical as some people.. anyway, the game scenery is great. The combat is well done, although I wish there was a stronger gun focus (melee is good but there is a lot of it). The customization of weapons is pretty decent even if the weapons wear down fairly quickly. The game is definitely worth getting if you like zombie games.. it focuses on being as realistic as a zombie game can get (receiving high damage and getting knocked over constantly) and if quite addictive to play. Expand
  13. Sep 28, 2011
    This is one of the better games I've ever played. I'm typically a FPS mouse/keyboard gamer, but this one is perfection using a XBox360 controller on a 50" TV on a high-end system. I have played it since a week after release, and have had nearly zero issues. I did have to turn on vsync to keep the tearing down, and it now runs silky smooth. I really enjoy the open world feel, and is aThis is one of the better games I've ever played. I'm typically a FPS mouse/keyboard gamer, but this one is perfection using a XBox360 controller on a 50" TV on a high-end system. I have played it since a week after release, and have had nearly zero issues. I did have to turn on vsync to keep the tearing down, and it now runs silky smooth. I really enjoy the open world feel, and is a welcome change from linear shooters. Brilliant game! Yes some people may have issues but I have had none. I honestly have no clue how anyone can claim this game appears rushed, as it has meticulous details throughout. I am burning untold hours on this game. It definitely has playthrough value! Expand
  14. Dec 25, 2012
    Ive only played the shooter chick and found the game rewarding. The best part of the game for me is the death animations of the enemies. I played a lot of Left 4 Dead 2 censored and still enjoyed it and looking back now and I wonder what I missed out on now that I'm enjoying Dead Island with all its gore enabled.

The monsters are okay, there are special infected but when you learn the

The monsters are okay, there are special infected but when you learn the type of elemental attack each one doesn't like you can dispatch them pretty quickly. Monster standing in water = electrical attack, and so on.

One of the odd things that strike me about DI is the scaling of character levels. What I mean is how monsters scale with you to the point that leveling up almost seems pointless. You don't seem to get a great deal more powerful because of this, in fact if weren't for a few entertaining skills and items it would be completely pointless. This for me is a drawback but not a game killer. I like to feel that I'm getting more powerful and I thought this game could have done a better job at that.

There are 4 Acts to this game which really need to be explored and largely can be while performing many and I mean a **** tonne of the games side quests. I can see the side quests being the largest negative for many people as they are almost all fetch quest which gets very tiresome. But the maps are very well done which I really enjoyed exploring and its worth playing thru to at least the jungle (Act 3) just to see what I mean.

One of the big positive for me in this game has to be the itemization. I love good itemization and I think this one has it. There isn't any real reason to care about the quality (exceptional item) of an item rather the prefix to its name is what really matters. The crafting system called mods is pretty cool and keeps me looking for more items to tinker with. Crafted items have some pretty nifty death animations too which has been, well alright I guess. I just enjoy getting those criticals rolling out in succession and watching the **** burn. xD

*spoiler* And that's pretty much it except to say there is a final boss battle and its pure lame crap. Its some dude that's a kind of cross between 2 special monsters, whoop diddy do and I thought the story sucked but I've always preferred good characters to stories anyhow which this game is also short on.
  15. bag
    Sep 29, 2011
    I found the gameplay extremely addictive and impressed with how large the world was. You will stumble across glitches every now and then, and I felt the online interaction with players could have been improved, but overall its a great game.
  16. Sep 30, 2011
    Dead island is what L4D and L4d2 should have been. You can go anyway and not be limited to a corridor . Side quests are excellent that will extend the mission even longer.
    There a few problem though that will make the experiences less enjoyable.
    There a few problem though that will make the experiences less enjoyable.
    First the flame bug, there is no flame you can see at all. PERIOD. But you get burned and damaged by them if you run into them. Secondly, the zombies variety are limited but does have bonus that they all look different, not a clone copy like in L4D game.
    Third after a while you can predicted where the zombies up ahead will be, that going to be a big problem since L4D AI director can send more zombies in if you get good at it. That what this game needed.
    The best solution is to have both Dead Island And L4D, L4D2 game combine to have the best of both world while solving the problem each have. I am hoping that the patch and the DLC coming up soon will fix most of these problem.
    I would advise people to wait for it to go on sale especially during Halloween time.
  17. Oct 4, 2011
    Once the initial bugs were ironed out (and they were quite a pain on day one), what was left was the game I had always wished L4D would have been. While the rpg elements aren't the most amazing in the world, and I don't have the desire (at the moment) to go through and replay the game, the multiplayer component was a blast, and the game gave me a good time exploring an island, shooting myOnce the initial bugs were ironed out (and they were quite a pain on day one), what was left was the game I had always wished L4D would have been. While the rpg elements aren't the most amazing in the world, and I don't have the desire (at the moment) to go through and replay the game, the multiplayer component was a blast, and the game gave me a good time exploring an island, shooting my guns, in a way i haven't had since the original Far Cry. I would recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  18. Oct 6, 2011
    Probably the best zombie game to date, with added RPG elements and online play, whats not to love. The first instance you find yourself with another player is when the comedy kicks in, theres hours of fun to be had in groups and even the solo play is rewarding. DLC's to be expected and can only make this title even greater. Recommended
  19. Oct 8, 2011
    A fantastically enjoyable romp through a zombie-infested island. This game is incredibly fun alone, and with others, everything just clicks. Melee combat is implemented well and surprisingly, gun combat is even more fun. Probably the goriest game today - every model has a full three layers: bone, muscles, and flesh. There is no present story, but agree with me when I say this - when youA fantastically enjoyable romp through a zombie-infested island. This game is incredibly fun alone, and with others, everything just clicks. Melee combat is implemented well and surprisingly, gun combat is even more fun. Probably the goriest game today - every model has a full three layers: bone, muscles, and flesh. There is no present story, but agree with me when I say this - when you want to get a zombie survival game, what will you expect to be DOING? Surviving! The lack of story does not bother me. The environments are beautiful, and so are the models. However, there are only two cons I can think of.

1: All characters have botox faces and are not well-animated. (better than common characters used in Deus Ex: Revolution though)

2: There is no excuse as to why your mouse has to be permanently at a very slow speed when using a menu or the inventory.
  20. Oct 9, 2011
    For me the best RPG in a long time. Love the setting - horror survival with pleasant environment. Zombies, first person hand-to-hand combat, weapon upgrades, contemporary settings. Quests feel natural and fitting, and are well located, no need to travel around over extensively. The graphics on the PC (GTX 560) is insane. If the graphics development stopped here I'd be fine with that :). ItFor me the best RPG in a long time. Love the setting - horror survival with pleasant environment. Zombies, first person hand-to-hand combat, weapon upgrades, contemporary settings. Quests feel natural and fitting, and are well located, no need to travel around over extensively. The graphics on the PC (GTX 560) is insane. If the graphics development stopped here I'd be fine with that :). It has the right mix of everything, kept me hooked up till the end which rarely happens even with AAA game. Yeah, it has bugs, but every new game does, don't care as long as they fix quickly. Will remember for a long time. In fact, I WANT DLC or part 2. PLEAAAASEE!!! :) Expand
  21. Oct 18, 2011
    The only problem i found with this game is the beginning stage at the beach. The graphics here were just horrible and of course having to pick up a new weapon after 1 fight blows. BUT, once i left that beach....the game did a complete 360 on me. I could not put it down. The story makes sense and draws you in. On top of that as you get closer to the end of the game, you find yourselfThe only problem i found with this game is the beginning stage at the beach. The graphics here were just horrible and of course having to pick up a new weapon after 1 fight blows. BUT, once i left that beach....the game did a complete 360 on me. I could not put it down. The story makes sense and draws you in. On top of that as you get closer to the end of the game, you find yourself putting in hardcore hours just to see the next part. Staying focused on the main story was difficult because the side quests were just amazing too. I just wish i could have gotten my friends to soldier through that beach area.....I believe they really missed out on this one. Expand
  22. Oct 19, 2011
    I liked the game, but it has some aspects which are just stupid (like the reactions of over survivors before or after you've rescued them) or the cutscenes in which all the 4 characters are shown, but i liked to look for weapons, mods, id cards and other stuff to lookf for. i'm sorry that i don't have time right now to restart the game with my character (which is around lv 50).
  23. Mar 21, 2012
    I saw for first this game from a trailer where a little girl was dead on the floor and then went all backwords from the beggining where the family took a photograph which caught my attencion. I absolutly love this game, really, it just has fabulous graphics with such a great gameplay. The story is awesome where we can enjoy great enviroments with a great variety of weapons and characterI saw for first this game from a trailer where a little girl was dead on the floor and then went all backwords from the beggining where the family took a photograph which caught my attencion. I absolutly love this game, really, it just has fabulous graphics with such a great gameplay. The story is awesome where we can enjoy great enviroments with a great variety of weapons and character customization. Also the co-op which can add to 4 players adds the fun part of this game. I cant spot a single negative thing despite some soft bugs which is irrelevant. I recommend everyone to try this game, its really fun and entertaining and if you like zombies or watched Walking Dead then this is your game. Also the Ryder White DLC adds those missing pieces of the puzzle. Expand
  24. Oct 27, 2011
    Didn't really expect Dead Island to be a good game, as I had weird experience with other games of techland, which were in my opinion not really good, but, since most of my friends played it, I thought, hell, why not to try it out too? After 25 hours of game play I can say, that this game worth 8/10, if you like open world, cooperation, RPG elements (perks & so on) you must buy it too
  25. Oct 31, 2011
    Dead Island is awesome. I have 147 hours played so far. I even bought this game for my college friend who couldn't afford it so we could play the game co-op. Sure it has a few bugs, most were patched. There might be a few things that are slightly annoying at first, like the durability on items but as the game progresses it isn't as bothersome. My biggest complaint might be that it seemsDead Island is awesome. I have 147 hours played so far. I even bought this game for my college friend who couldn't afford it so we could play the game co-op. Sure it has a few bugs, most were patched. There might be a few things that are slightly annoying at first, like the durability on items but as the game progresses it isn't as bothersome. My biggest complaint might be that it seems like they are trying to hide what they are patching on steam. There are no patch notes after i download patches, i do not understand why. The major thing people are complaining about this game is the bugs and when they patch it they don't release patch notes. Expand
  26. Nov 2, 2011
    after i saw everything i have to change my first review.
    now the worst bugs are patched, some still remain untouched.
    but, even with some bugs, (dissapearing weapons, texture failures,...) this is a great game. the gaming world is very large, you have a lot of enemies to fight, especially after the 2nd chapter. the missions are okay, the story and the ending look like there will be a
    after i saw everything i have to change my first review.
    now the worst bugs are patched, some still remain untouched.

the gaming world is very large, you have a lot of enemies to fight, especially after the 2nd chapter. the missions are okay, the story and the ending look like there will be a sequel.
    the sound effects are nice, the graphics very detailed.- especially the water, the enemies and the nature. sadly the gaphics are missing some reflections, but probably on purpose to make the game playable, even on slower systems.

if you dont feel like doing missions, you can just walk arround hours over hours, kill tons of zombies, with help of many different (craftable) weapons.

you can play the campain alone or with 3 friends in coop, really alot of fun.

50â
  27. May 23, 2012
    Dead Island is a awsome zombie FPS, theres little i didnt like on it, the gameplay and graphics are amazing. The reason i give this game an 8 is because personally, i dislike weapons with durability. This game is like Left 4 Dead 2, but much better graphics. The online play isnt near on par with L4D2. The only problem is....durability, i HATE games with durability (yes you can repair theDead Island is a awsome zombie FPS, theres little i didnt like on it, the gameplay and graphics are amazing. The reason i give this game an 8 is because personally, i dislike weapons with durability. This game is like Left 4 Dead 2, but much better graphics. The online play isnt near on par with L4D2. The only problem is....durability, i HATE games with durability (yes you can repair the weapons, but its all so unnecessary, pointless, theres no reason for it unless you want to waste time in a game feeling like your doing something thats required but accomplishes nothing, and so...it loses 2 points for that, i dont like to waste time, just to kill zombies and have a good time. Anyways a really fun game, id reccomend it to anyone who likes zombie fps, it was well done. I just wish that durability didnt exist. (its my personal prefrence to not have anything in a game that just wastes time, i prefer all action, but thats just me) Expand
  28. Oct 27, 2013
    I adore Dead Island, It might be a little on the clunky side but basically what you have here is a Bethesda style game which has optional multiplayer where you beat the crap out of zombies with baseball bats that have nails in...
  29. Nov 10, 2011
    Sandbox environment is always a plus, and Dead Island doesnt disappoint. The greatest feature is the coop that can be played with friends on your own game or their game. This is seriously the best use of co-op ive ever seen and a really hope many other games follow suit. The game can be fairly difficult at times and frustrating without a partner, but is definitely worth buying if you haveSandbox environment is always a plus, and Dead Island doesnt disappoint. The greatest feature is the coop that can be played with friends on your own game or their game. This is seriously the best use of co-op ive ever seen and a really hope many other games follow suit. The game can be fairly difficult at times and frustrating without a partner, but is definitely worth buying if you have a dedicated teammate that will play with you. Just falls short of perfect, but is a very enjoyable RPG. Expand
  30. Nov 10, 2011
    Its a great game if you want open world RPG action with zombie killing and weapon costumisation you got it.Sure there are a few bugs and that but nothing game breaking.Buy it you wont regret it.
  31. Nov 12, 2011
    Just beat this game. Great graphics and it took me about 25 hours according to the save file. Couple times had me jump in my seat. The one drawback is that once you see the first couple waves of zombies, it becomes pretty repetitive. I still enjoyed it though and would recommend this to others. As for re-playability...I don't know if I will come back to this. It was fun.. now time to move on.
  32. Jan 6, 2012
    Well I first got this game in September 2011 shortly after it was released and played if for about 10 hours. I then left it and came back to it at the beginning of 2012 and then saw what an amazing game it was...addictive...emotional...amazing. I really can't explain how real it feels to be in Banoi, the city. You really do feel like you are there and it really is the end of the world.
    I
    I can't stop playing it now and I can guarantee you will feel the emotional side of this game by the end.
    All I can say is buy it now! You don't know what you're missing.
  33. Mar 28, 2013
    Dead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thingDead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thing about the game is the sense of wonder and amazement as you walk around a high-detailed island. Attention to detail is everywhere and it genuinely gives the player a sense of realism and the integrity of the world and it’s inhabitants.

In the game there are lots of weapons to use from Axes to Metal Pipes to Brass Knuckles and more. In fact there’s a larger emphasis on melee weapons than guns. There’s also a lot of scavenging, along with repairing and upgrading weapons.

There are a variety of zombies from slow ones, to fast ones and a few boss ones here and there. The quests are varied and the backstory is well written. Combat is solid and feels enjoyable, particularly when swinging a heavy object or using a bladed weapon.

You can learn a variety of new skills, the different ones vary with characters, including regenerative health and a ‘fury mode’ which is charged by killing zombies.

In the standard game, you will be using melee weapons for the majority of the time, but the DLC Ryder White’s Campaign does grant the player much more in terms of gunplay. Overall this is a great game and definitely worth it’s price.
  34. Nov 15, 2011
    the best zombie game out there thus far. it still needs allot of work in the animation department. as well as emotion. but its overall fun if i had to summarize it, i would say Fallout 3 meets Zombie Apocalypse. there was one thing i wish they had added it would have to of been the removal of the skill tree and implementing a learn as you go system based on how you playl. example if youthe best zombie game out there thus far. it still needs allot of work in the animation department. as well as emotion. but its overall fun if i had to summarize it, i would say Fallout 3 meets Zombie Apocalypse. there was one thing i wish they had added it would have to of been the removal of the skill tree and implementing a learn as you go system based on how you playl. example if you favor guns. then well the more you use it the better you get at it, the same would go for melee combat. oh and giving the option to play your own custom character. Expand
  35. Jan 4, 2012
    Very good polish action/RPG/FPP/survival horror game, that presents a new approach to zombie topic. Combining zombies and tropic island theme (which are contrasting with each other) was very good idea.

PROS: * very nice graphic * RPG elements * fight system * weapon crafting and modding * good plot * open world * great game-play CONS: * lots of bugs on release day * flat main characters

PROS:
    * very nice graphic
    * RPG elements
    * fight system
    * weapon crafting and modding
    * good plot
    * open world
    * great game-play

CONS: * lots of bugs on release day
    * flat main characters
    * driving a car is difficult as hell
    * game saving system
    * and again: lots of bugs!
  36. Jul 26, 2012
    Overall a fun experience, especially multiplayer despite a dodgy progression system. Only thing i disliked was the terrible voice acting and accents other than Sam B.
  37. Dec 6, 2011
    Dead Island is a FPS Zombie Killing Multiplayer Sandbox RPG. Its just as good as it sounds. Only problem is that all of the zombies level up at the same rate you do, so unlike most rpg's back-tracking is often just as dangerous as advancing and if you don't get better weapons as you level up you get **** :) 8/10
  38. Nov 21, 2011
    Gameplay: 9 - Amazing. 1st-person melee combat has never been better in any other game. Dead Island allows you to slice and break individual limbs of your undead foes. Different strategies are required for different enemy types. Thugs need their arms broken, and suiciders are best taken out from a distance. The only thing dragging this game down at all are the bugs (of which there areGameplay: 9 - Amazing. 1st-person melee combat has never been better in any other game. Dead Island allows you to slice and break individual limbs of your undead foes. Different strategies are required for different enemy types. Thugs need their arms broken, and suiciders are best taken out from a distance. The only thing dragging this game down at all are the bugs (of which there are many).
    Story: 8 - Great. Cookie-cutter zombie story with a twist: You're on a Resort Island.
    Graphics: 9 - Amazing. Banoi is beautiful. The environments are breathtaking. Enemies vary in appearance. Only people look strange. Faces seem unemotional, and many of the citizens of Banoi look aged when looking at their face, yet young when looking at their body.
    Sound: 9 - Amazing. Creepy music is accentuated by terrifying zombie screams!
    Overall: 9 - Amazing.
  39. Dec 11, 2011
    This was a fun game to play. The game is a bit clunky and the dialog for single player is the same for the multiplayer, which makes for some strange dialog. Overall I had fun playing this game in single player mode and will play it again as another character and finish all the side quests this time.
  40. Dec 24, 2011
    The low scores on here made me laugh!!....anyways this has to be one of the best zombie games out here at the moment, ignore the **** in other reviews the game runs perfectly fine, nice and smooth, amazing graphics and storyline, very addictive to play through in single player and then theres the co-op!
  41. Dec 26, 2011
    Wow, where to begin, a simply amazing game that is a MUST get for zombie lovers, the sheer horror you experience when you see the undead feasting as you wander the streets of dead island, with flimsy weapons and a small cardio tank, you will always be on edge while playing this game whether you are running from a horde of infected or battling against a swarm of walkers, this gameWow, where to begin, a simply amazing game that is a MUST get for zombie lovers, the sheer horror you experience when you see the undead feasting as you wander the streets of dead island, with flimsy weapons and a small cardio tank, you will always be on edge while playing this game whether you are running from a horde of infected or battling against a swarm of walkers, this game capatilizes and delivers on everything i expected and more. There is no loading screens between you and the zombies i must add (such as dead rising) as soon as you open the door to the outside world the zombies are there and ready, this game is the definition of the survival horror genre, and even if you are not a zombie lover you will still enjoy this game, a must buy. Expand
  42. Dec 27, 2011
    I am really enjoying it, and my friend and Sons are having a blast. At first, I thought it was another Left4Dead type game. Boy, I was wrong. It turned out to be an RPG, with questing, leveling, skill points and a HUGE and I mean HUGE world. Even your weapons degrade over time and it shows on the weapon.

I know it had a bad start, but through the patches and tweaks, it is starting to shine. People are working on MODS for it too. There is even a tool you can download from steam to help tweak the performance!

Last night I played with my Sons, cooperative. When you do, they match the zombies to your level! I am level 13 and my Sons are level 5 and the same zombie we were bashing, matched our level. Online playing is still a little buggy and you may experience some lock ups. Single player runs smooth.

This game is definitely not for the squeamish. Arms go flying, heads crack open and blood gushes everywhere. They use every 4 letter word in there also, so beware.
  43. Dec 30, 2011
    Zombie mashing at it's best. If you like zombies, this game delivers. The combat is exciting and multiplayer makes it even more entertaining. I've got nothing bad to say about this game.
  44. Jan 2, 2012
    Even though this game had a rough start, and still suffers from quite an amount of hate, it's a game worth buying. Three, or four, player co-op is a great way to play Dead Island from start to finish; it makes for good fun along the way. The open-world RPG theme fits perfectly with the good-feeling combat, and even though the story isn't really worth paying attention to, you'll getEven though this game had a rough start, and still suffers from quite an amount of hate, it's a game worth buying. Three, or four, player co-op is a great way to play Dead Island from start to finish; it makes for good fun along the way. The open-world RPG theme fits perfectly with the good-feeling combat, and even though the story isn't really worth paying attention to, you'll get immersed in this zombie-apocalyptic island-adventure right from the start.
    One detail I really love in this game, is the driving. It's not especially good, but it's fun! Smashing zombie-brains with a car have never been as fun as in Dead Island; a game worth buying!
  45. Jan 5, 2012
    This is simply the maximum that people who loves zombies wants. Bugs, glitches and no clips were fixed, graphic is not like a film, but like REAL. Game-play is higher to others for fighting and moving liberty. The sound is so perfect...nothing to say. In the other games, the zombies are only animated forms, but in Dead Island the zombies have bones, muscles, tendons, skin...you can cutThis is simply the maximum that people who loves zombies wants. Bugs, glitches and no clips were fixed, graphic is not like a film, but like REAL. Game-play is higher to others for fighting and moving liberty. The sound is so perfect...nothing to say. In the other games, the zombies are only animated forms, but in Dead Island the zombies have bones, muscles, tendons, skin...you can cut some parts or break some bone, or smash the ribs and you can see inside. If you love zombies this is the game for you. If you love to buy games, you MUST buy this! Expand
  46. Jun 3, 2012
    It's too bad metacritic won't let you view a rating within a time period, the current rating is highly weighed down by a faulty launch that they patched. Also lots of the negative ratings are about lack of guns... this is clearly a melee zombie smashing game. Even some recent review say bugs -- the game NEVER crashed on me once, rock solid.

On to the game. The scenery is spot on, you

On to the game. The scenery is spot on, you will never look at a resort the same, the hotels, bars, even the diving posters around the island look exactly like these places do, so much it's spooky. As you venture out into the jungle, the scenery maintains a high quality, you find yourself looking around the island... it's not the new Crysis graphics by any means, but it's very nice and well produced.
    I played this game single player and prefered it as such, only if you were going from beginning to end with certain / same people would I want to play multi. Random people joining online was a PITA, I felt most who joined my game were an unwelcome addition, luckily you can drop out easily.
    The end scene running through the dark corridors was so damn creepy, I hate it and love it. I felt such a sense of "GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!". I promise you won't leave the game until you beat it from that point because you'll feel haunted by it. That was the climax of the game for me. The storyline/cutscenes were a little cliche & fake, but that run through the hospital... damn. 15 hours of game play for me. Ideally I think they could have cut 3 hours out and it would have been better. I don't plan on playing the campaign again, the DLC arena looks like fun.
    The skill upgrade tree is fun. Weapons are not invincible and require maintenance (many people list this as a con, but I love it, added realism, added challenge when your weapons start failing). Weapon modification is fun.

Cons: Like many games you find yourself as the game's **** every quest is doing something for someone, you advance the game by doing 'quests' that you're asked to do, ironically you are given an option to take them, but have to say YES to advance in the game. Everyone needs your help, I hate that, give me MY mission MY way, let me tell them what to do or they can figure their own way off the island. There's no explanation of how inventory works, how rage works, some things are left for you to figure out (you may not know they're even there, review binded keys, btw if you have no MMB use "C" for your weapon changes). I still don't know how to read the weapon stats, what the numbers/symbols mean, I just know which ones I like (nail'd baseball bat FTW) and that work well.
    No save feature! You have to go until you reach a checkpoint, usually within 15 minutes.

Glitch: Your precious weapons can disappear!! I (once) threw all my weapons at a puker and as I went to pick them up, they disappeared with them!! Could not believe it. Restarted the checkpoint, then restarted the game, they were still missing. So be aware of this and DO NOT throw your favorite weapons.
    Also.. the rage is over powered, I beat the end boss within seconds by raging and running around him. It was over in a flash.
    No punishment for dying, you lose a little cash and get full health from where you died (so.. why use a health boost when you can just die and have full health in 2 seconds???). I've even had the game ADVANCE me when I died.

Summary: I think (hope!!) we'll see more dead island. I got this on the 66% off sale and it was worth it. For $15 or less, it's an instant buy. Full price... not sure, watch the youtube gameplay videos and if you like what you see you'll like the game. I will be buying the arena DLC because I just want to mindlessly smash zombies and not be the island's #1 go-to **** I think I'd enjoy that more and wish it was included.
  47. Jan 12, 2012
    This is one of those games you need to grab 3 friends and sit back and enjoy the ride! Played right through loving every bit of it, because even if a couple of parts are boring your mates come to the rescue and brighten it up! The gore is beautiful, some scenes are so nice they actually made me stop just to take a good look. So many people would of played this solo or with randoms and IThis is one of those games you need to grab 3 friends and sit back and enjoy the ride! Played right through loving every bit of it, because even if a couple of parts are boring your mates come to the rescue and brighten it up! The gore is beautiful, some scenes are so nice they actually made me stop just to take a good look. So many people would of played this solo or with randoms and I feel they're just missing out on what could of been an awesome experience. I can tell I'll be picking this up again after a while :) 10/10. Expand
  48. Feb 3, 2012
    Dead Island is a good game but not the best. Many zombies, many quest, large island to explore. If you love killing zombies, this game is for you! Luv it
  49. Feb 16, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game. I think it went a long way to bring back the intensity of horror games, by combining some traditional zombie elements with more fast paced mutant varieties, it gives a tense, panicky feel to a lot of the encounters. It is definitely more dead space than resident evil, having an almost pure action feel to it. Still, there are lots of moments of tension whenI really enjoyed this game. I think it went a long way to bring back the intensity of horror games, by combining some traditional zombie elements with more fast paced mutant varieties, it gives a tense, panicky feel to a lot of the encounters. It is definitely more dead space than resident evil, having an almost pure action feel to it. Still, there are lots of moments of tension when entering new areas, particularly when you're cramped in a dark hallway or narrow corridor and hear that piercing scream of something getting ready to charge you. The graphics are really beautiful, especially the first act. I loved just travelling through the picturesque resort and seeing everything created to the smallest detail, with gruesome additions. The blood filled pools were particularly effective. Weapon crafting, specialization and character customization make the journey much more dynamic, as you have more choice how to dispense with the zombie hordes. Combat is gory and satisfying, and i think it's an amazing acheivement. The story isn't as engaging as it could be, and the npc's seem wooden and uninteresting, they keep sending you on extremely tedious sidequests that only put off the main story. That's why i couldn't give this a full score. But beyond that, the best zombie game in years, and a top notch horror game in general. Expand
  50. Vex
    Jul 7, 2012
    This game is just sublime, I haven't had this much fun in ages. I've been looking for a decent game recently that would suck me in and wouldn't bore me to tears but I had no such luck until I picked up Dead Island. Graphics are just amazing and the game looks better than 90% of current games on the market. Visually, it's just stunning. Gameplay mechanics are pretty good as well,This game is just sublime, I haven't had this much fun in ages. I've been looking for a decent game recently that would suck me in and wouldn't bore me to tears but I had no such luck until I picked up Dead Island. Graphics are just amazing and the game looks better than 90% of current games on the market. Visually, it's just stunning. Gameplay mechanics are pretty good as well, considering it's basically an RPG crammed into a first person perspective. Now, the best part about this game is the open world setting that allows you to roam around the island as you please and just explore and do whatever you like. Lots of games these days are touted as "open world" but it's quite rare to find a truly open world game like this. Performance wise, the game runs perfect (everything maxed out) on a 5 year old PC with the only fairly new part being Geforce GTX 460. Draw distance is amazing and the island renders perfectly and with no performance drops over large distances as well.

I haven't experienced any bugs, crashes and issues that everyone keeps talking about, but then again, I picked this game up 10 months after its initial release so I assume the developers have already fixed everything there was to fix.

The only reason why it doesn't get a perfect 10 from me is because the dialogue part of the game (with NPCs) is binary and you get to only accept or refuse quests and there are no real dialogue trees. If this game had the dialogue on the par with Mass Effect, it would definitely be a 10 in my book.
  51. Mar 31, 2012
    I loved the game,its very fun, with friends or no friends , is a big open world , it have 4 beutifal and huge maps,there is a lot things to do , sometimes it has some glitches , but who cares ! It runs very good on all computers , i have 2 computers (this) it is very good and has good graphics , and another it is very slow but it runs perfect ! Everithyng on High! No lag , If u have aI loved the game,its very fun, with friends or no friends , is a big open world , it have 4 beutifal and huge maps,there is a lot things to do , sometimes it has some glitches , but who cares ! It runs very good on all computers , i have 2 computers (this) it is very good and has good graphics , and another it is very slow but it runs perfect ! Everithyng on High! No lag , If u have a laggy pc it doesnt matter , Buy it! Very awsome game Expand
  52. Jun 3, 2012
    game is best ever i mean they should update it for pc version fix some of glitches they have but i love it entirely with in first 20 mins i lv up lv 9 and had 20k in cash from it from zombie
  53. Apr 22, 2012
    After a rough launch i can say this is an amazing zombie game, alone in a giant island, or in coop mode with your friends, be the one of the few to leave the infected island of Banoii, fight for your life and the one of your friends, enjoy the side quest missions and the various selection of weapons, enjoy the high graphic of the game, this probably will be game of the year.
  54. Jun 20, 2014
    Loved the game. Great graphics, gameplay, and storyline. The vehicle driving is well done as well.
    There is a long and short campaign that merge the stories at the endgame.
    There is a long and short campaign that merge the stories at the endgame.
    The long campaign is the main storyline featuring one of 4 characters. Every level is detailed and lengthy, but not boring. Even the side quests (technically the grinders) move smoothly as the collection rate for necessary items isn't high at all.
    The short campaign follows a law officer trying to find his wife, and eventually meeting up with the 4 survivors from the main storyline.
    The ending has a twist.
    One any difficulty the game is still challenging. Ammo, and carry space, are realistically done, and there is a surplus of good weapons to be found. I didn't want the game to end, but felt satiated and satisfied when it was finished.
  55. Jan 25, 2013
    I played the goty Dead Island. I know nothing of how it was at release, what I know is how great this game is. Solid 100 hours of gameplay and satisfying action. Half horror half shooter. Its NOT an horror dedicated game but has its moments. Recommended.
  56. Jun 2, 2012
    I was suspicious about that game from the start. In one hand was really teased with trailers where you smash zombies with everything you can found. But in other hand I was skeptical about gameplay and overall feeling.

Because of that I was waiting for Steam 66% off to buy this. I was not wrong. This game is not worth paying full price. I would be more happy if I would pass that one.
  57. Jun 11, 2012
    DI is perfect in every way. It contains fascinating open world with amazing graphics, great close combat system and well-designed skill point developing, not mention but a few. After 70 hours of playing, I haven't found anything what fazes playing. Not happened before in my life.
  58. Jun 20, 2012
    This game is very cathartic. Chopping zombie heads off in slow motion is AWESOME. There comes a point later on where as the blade expert it is exactly like a samurai game and it's the best one I've played. The environments are great, the driving is fun, the missions varied. I played through on single player, it's easy to have strangers join up in your game, but I'm not so sure about addingThis game is very cathartic. Chopping zombie heads off in slow motion is AWESOME. There comes a point later on where as the blade expert it is exactly like a samurai game and it's the best one I've played. The environments are great, the driving is fun, the missions varied. I played through on single player, it's easy to have strangers join up in your game, but I'm not so sure about adding friends. The animations of other players aren't as good so in the end I preferred playing through single player to get a sense of when quests started and to be more challenging. Modding weapons is fun, and you wonder if you missed any designs. Cash didn't seem to be much of a problem. I'm about ready to play through again using a different Character to see what's different. Hammer time! Expand
  59. JEK
    Nov 24, 2012
    6.8 user score? Are you kidding me? This is one of my favorite games. Good scenery, good graphics( so-so), no problem with the controls, good story. You can brutally kill zombies with any weapons. It's open world and you can create your own weapon. If anybody 's complaining about the bugs you can easily fix it with some patches. But that's not right rating this game very low because you6.8 user score? Are you kidding me? This is one of my favorite games. Good scenery, good graphics( so-so), no problem with the controls, good story. You can brutally kill zombies with any weapons. It's open world and you can create your own weapon. If anybody 's complaining about the bugs you can easily fix it with some patches. But that's not right rating this game very low because you have problems installing it etc. This is 10/10 for me. I'm looking forward to Dead Island: Riptide. But for the meantime, I'm planning to buy Far Cry 3. Expand
  60. Jul 18, 2012
    Absolutely LOVED this game! At first I wasn't too thrilled with the "checkpoint" saving, but when I got over that the total fun began! One of many features you can do in this game is mods! Mod your weapons, make ammo, make weapons! Another is the story, was very nice. It was very different from other zombie games I have played before and enjoyed every minute of it...either it was just meAbsolutely LOVED this game! At first I wasn't too thrilled with the "checkpoint" saving, but when I got over that the total fun began! One of many features you can do in this game is mods! Mod your weapons, make ammo, make weapons! Another is the story, was very nice. It was very different from other zombie games I have played before and enjoyed every minute of it...either it was just me or with my buddies. Like all games it had its glitches here and there, but I just laughed and went on. Loved doing main story quests and having some side quests! Very great zombie game, if you love zombies you will like this game! Especially the awesome double-takes or slowmo's of when you chop there heads off! xD Expand
  61. Jul 19, 2012
    We as FPS gamers are on a downward slope - everything is getting more and more boring where AAA titles are OK and anything less we don't have the interest to finish. Dead island was one of the first games in a long time (since...Quake 3?) that I couldn't put down - literally played through the night without realizing it (THAT right there is the sign that a game is good). For what it'sWe as FPS gamers are on a downward slope - everything is getting more and more boring where AAA titles are OK and anything less we don't have the interest to finish. Dead island was one of the first games in a long time (since...Quake 3?) that I couldn't put down - literally played through the night without realizing it (THAT right there is the sign that a game is good). For what it's worth, use the (gasp) Xbox 360 controller on the PC and switch the aiming to analogue. I just loved slicing zombies heads off, curb stomping them and beating them to a pulp to the ground (and then some like a dirty street scrap). Had many memorable moments and jokes among my friends with the game. Only downside is that once your done the game you really don't want to play through it again (at least me)- but hey, I paid $39.99 for it and I don't regret it. Expand
  62. Jul 30, 2012
    Great co-op mode, really fun to play with a friend. Although I never found any critical bug there were some minor issues but they are already fixed. A must-have game if you like co-op mode and zombie plot.
  63. Aug 14, 2012
    Pros: Good graphics, fun melee combat, Borderlands-style weapon drops and class system, lots of quests and areas to explore. Cons: still buggy (August 2012) graphics, sloppy map design (i.e. I jump into inaccessable areas a lot), repetative gameplay. Fun if you like zombie survival, open world, and co-op games, and don't mind a lack of polish. P.S. This game is perfect forPros: Good graphics, fun melee combat, Borderlands-style weapon drops and class system, lots of quests and areas to explore. Cons: still buggy (August 2012) graphics, sloppy map design (i.e. I jump into inaccessable areas a lot), repetative gameplay. Fun if you like zombie survival, open world, and co-op games, and don't mind a lack of polish. P.S. This game is perfect for necrophiliacs, as there is a disturbing amount of half-naked zombies. =) Expand
  64. Oct 15, 2012
    This game might be a little gitichy here and there, but when you move further in the story, playing alongside your friends and killing zombies not only with knifes and baseball bats but also with guns or modded weapons, this game becomes a masterpiece. The story is, as I find it, very entertaining and easy to follow, although other people find it really bad. I have been playing this withThis game might be a little gitichy here and there, but when you move further in the story, playing alongside your friends and killing zombies not only with knifes and baseball bats but also with guns or modded weapons, this game becomes a masterpiece. The story is, as I find it, very entertaining and easy to follow, although other people find it really bad. I have been playing this with two characters singleplayer and me and my friends are still playing the coop part of the game to truly finish all quests. One thing I know, I'm so gonna preorder the next chapter! Expand
  65. Sep 25, 2012
    Claro es: no es una historia brillante, pero es realmente entretenido por lograr la sensación de agobio al no haber lugar donde no exista la posibilidad de ser atacados por zombis. Al ser un juego pensado en el combate cuerpo a cuerpo se abona la posibilidad que nos ofrece de adquirir objetos del entorno y convertirlos en armas (las armas de fuego son escasas) y dejar aClaro es: no es una historia brillante, pero es realmente entretenido por lograr la sensación de agobio al no haber lugar donde no exista la posibilidad de ser atacados por zombis. Al ser un juego pensado en el combate cuerpo a cuerpo se abona la posibilidad que nos ofrece de adquirir objetos del entorno y convertirlos en armas (las armas de fuego son escasas) y dejar a decisión del jugador si es prudente o no entrar sólo o acompañado a una zona. La dificultad del juego es alta, dada la cantidad de estos seres que no dudarán en atacar en masa y hay variedad de ellos, cada uno con cualidades propias de su tipo. Recomendado para jugarlo en cooperativo (hasta cuatro jugadores). Expand
  66. Nov 5, 2012
    Most of the bad reviews are old and complaint about bugs. Well, i played in end 2012, all bugs fixed and with a 360 controller. I must say that i do enjoy the game a lot. 20h or a little less of gameplay sticking with main quests. In top settings the game looks awesome and it is refreshing to play a first person slasher considering all the boring first person shooters around. Hands downMost of the bad reviews are old and complaint about bugs. Well, i played in end 2012, all bugs fixed and with a 360 controller. I must say that i do enjoy the game a lot. 20h or a little less of gameplay sticking with main quests. In top settings the game looks awesome and it is refreshing to play a first person slasher considering all the boring first person shooters around. Hands down the best zombie game i have played. Expand
  67. May 8, 2013
    This game has great potential, I like the open world RPG ,LvL system and skills, Crafting weapons its cool,the art work and world design are great! but I think that there is a unbalanced weapon system and there is so poor weapons to find in the world and a short variety for the ammo the same, if they fix that and put like x20 more Zombies and add something like chainsaws, M60This game has great potential, I like the open world RPG ,LvL system and skills, Crafting weapons its cool,the art work and world design are great! but I think that there is a unbalanced weapon system and there is so poor weapons to find in the world and a short variety for the ammo the same, if they fix that and put like x20 more Zombies and add something like chainsaws, M60 flamethrowers, etc, I would give an A+ and a 10 :D Expand
  68. Dec 22, 2012
    Story:9/10-Brilliant.
    Gameplay:9/10-Brilliant.
    Graphics:9.5/10-Brilliant.
    Music:8.7/10-Fantastic.
    Replay Value:8.7/10-Fantastic.
    Overall:9/10-Brilliant------An Amazing Open world game which will keep you entertained for a long time.
  69. Dec 3, 2012
    Dead island is a good game, but have lots bugs in the game meybe after fix that problem whit bugs but i like that game ,and i put 9/10,and peaple do more videos about that game it is fanny game killing zombies in that game is very very very good efects and i like to say play that game dont say that is crap because you got crap PC and youb say that is crap
  70. Jan 13, 2013
    Nonetheless, I reach Dead Island. This game is filled with zombie-murdering. You want a big tough colored guy that can hit people with things? You got it here. You want a guy that can chuck things twenty feet, hit the zombie, and come back to him like boomerang? You got it here. You want a chick that can murder zombies with bullets? You got it here. There are five characters total in thisNonetheless, I reach Dead Island. This game is filled with zombie-murdering. You want a big tough colored guy that can hit people with things? You got it here. You want a guy that can chuck things twenty feet, hit the zombie, and come back to him like boomerang? You got it here. You want a chick that can murder zombies with bullets? You got it here. There are five characters total in this game, choose one, and team up with your friends and kill some zombies, and complete quests!

Onto some other parts of the game here, the game is not ALL about doing quests. You can trade with friends, you can buy things, sell things, team up with others and just have some fun, ect. I haven't gotten too too in depth with the story just yet, but eventually I will. If you love killing zombies, you will definitely like Dead Island. There is no doubt about it. Highly recommended.
  71. Feb 2, 2013
    This is a very violent product. A lot of blood, a lot of stress because the threat is everywhere. You can join anyone who is around the map. The multiplayer's system is original. The difficulty is correct and fights are very dynamic. Enjoy
  72. Feb 12, 2013
    great game, with replayability from different characters to select. although the overall main story is likely the same, the personal stories are different. i wished they would have delve further into each character's personal stories tho. its a 1st person survival horror game that takes some time to get use to the controls. some of the levels also feel a bit like walking in circles, wellgreat game, with replayability from different characters to select. although the overall main story is likely the same, the personal stories are different. i wished they would have delve further into each character's personal stories tho. its a 1st person survival horror game that takes some time to get use to the controls. some of the levels also feel a bit like walking in circles, well since its on an island i guess. not really many, terribly infected monsters to battle unfortunately. only mindless zombies and the tougher zombie. i think left 4 dead is better than this. it can get boring at times when you wander around too much doing the same thing collecting things, saving people, killing zombies...over and over. the story is decent but nothing memorable to me. Expand
  73. Jul 19, 2013
    If you like zombies you can't go wrong. The survival horror feel of this game may possibly be the best I ever experienced. Smashing your way through zombies in first person with baseball bats and machetes just feels great. Some moments of the game are really intense and really made me feel that zombie survival couldn't be done any better than this game did it.
    Though this game does not
    Though this game does not shine in places like story or characters, it does not need to. The world and gameplay make up for it.
    My biggest complaint about this game is a serious issue with the throwing mechanic. If you do not play Logan, who specializes in throwing skills, you may never notice this at all. But occasionally, thrown weapons glitch out and vanish. After 60+ hours in the game, and spending my entire savings on fully upgraded and modded new weapons only to have them both vanish within 2 minutes of leaving town I rage quit for a few months.
  74. Apr 7, 2013
    This game is amazing. I've played through it singleplayer and both co-op. The co-op was the. Most fun with 4 players although 2 players was also good. An amazing open world game a lot of custumizable weapon selection, and fun (but repetitive) gameplay, this makes for a good experience. I can't wait for the sequel coming out this year.
  75. Apr 19, 2013
    Very entertaining game of which you can play with friends, the random matchmaking system is also very well made and really encourages players to go out there and meet other people. The side quests can get very entertaining and driving through a city full of zombies with your friends spraying from the back of the car because you want to secure the box of juice you just looted for no reason.Very entertaining game of which you can play with friends, the random matchmaking system is also very well made and really encourages players to go out there and meet other people. The side quests can get very entertaining and driving through a city full of zombies with your friends spraying from the back of the car because you want to secure the box of juice you just looted for no reason.

Different from left 4 dead series, Dead island's open space means you don't need to be in a rush to finish the game. Looking forward to the sequeal
  76. Jun 21, 2013
    Dead Island is one of the best games of zombies, u cant' say u know about zombie's games if you did't play Dead Island, the IA of the game is very good, and the graphics are the best in this kind of games. Have a lot of fun the online. You will love to pass the game many times. The DLC made this game very complete. I Love Dead Island.
  77. Apr 23, 2013
    If you happen to enjoy campy horror films, Dead Island is a game for you! The game is far from perfect, but the fun factor keeps me coming back for more zombie bashing mayhem. Also, bring along a few friends and (as most games) the game gets even better! Looking forward for more games in this series!
  78. Jul 20, 2013
    There's something really satisfying about all of the close combat fighting in Dead Island. Sure the game is a bit buggy and the UI isn't great, but nothing gets your heart pounding quite like turning a corner and finding a suicider in your path. Although the quests can become a bit tedious towards the end, I still enjoyed my time with this game.
  79. May 23, 2013
    If You like zombie games You have to play this one. I had really great time with Dead Island. Crafting is interesting, graphics are nice, music is acceptable. If You close Your eyes for lots of small stupidities You will enjoy this game. Gameplay is nice and makes You play many hours without stoping. It is also very important to play Dead Island before starting Riptide.
  80. Apr 25, 2013
    Dead Island is an amazing game in it's mechanics and graphics. It also has a lot of content. It's a free-roam RPG focused on zombies. Those 3 sentences SHOULD sum up Dead Island, but unfortunately, there are shoehorned shooter sections, bland story, and odd dialogue in the mix. For what Dead Island focuses on, (which is killing zombies in creative fashion and leveling up), you can lookDead Island is an amazing game in it's mechanics and graphics. It also has a lot of content. It's a free-roam RPG focused on zombies. Those 3 sentences SHOULD sum up Dead Island, but unfortunately, there are shoehorned shooter sections, bland story, and odd dialogue in the mix. For what Dead Island focuses on, (which is killing zombies in creative fashion and leveling up), you can look past the minor things. I really like it for what it was made for, and you should too. Now go chop off some arms and smash some skulls. Expand
  81. AWG
    Jun 10, 2013
    Things from this game I loved: the very-big-but-not-TOO-big open world, the characters, the fact that missions are not against the clock, the friggin' champagne sidequest, the simple-but-yet-complete leveling system, the human enemies, Xian's sweet arse.
    Things from this game that could be improved: the graphics.
    Things from this game I hated those damn sewers missions. Almost 100
    Things from this game that could be improved: the graphics.
    Things from this game I hated those damn sewers missions.
    Almost 100 hours of solid fun and a solid 8 overall.
  82. Dec 2, 2013
    Massive, Fun, and laughable characters is what Dead Island consist of. When I say massive I mean 40 hours plus massive. There are hundreds of side missions, many locations to find and exclusions notes which actually make for a better story compared to what the game attempts to portray. The Graphics are impressive and Banoi is a related destination for paradise holidaying. Basically theMassive, Fun, and laughable characters is what Dead Island consist of. When I say massive I mean 40 hours plus massive. There are hundreds of side missions, many locations to find and exclusions notes which actually make for a better story compared to what the game attempts to portray. The Graphics are impressive and Banoi is a related destination for paradise holidaying. Basically the game is about four main characters who have mutated an immunity which has given them the privilege to do 1000 fetch quests for pretty much everyone. The aim of the game is to get off this Island of hell and discover what actually is going on. Expand
  83. Jul 5, 2013
    You should play on the beautiful island resort. Smart hotels and bungalow, pools, bars, palm trees and beaches. Game is very pleasant from the visual point of view. All components of world around are traced very carefully, and the main thing by a svdokhnoveniye. Myrrh of game not so empty (as for the island embraced with an unknown infection). Zombies constantly wander about the island,You should play on the beautiful island resort. Smart hotels and bungalow, pools, bars, palm trees and beaches. Game is very pleasant from the visual point of view. All components of world around are traced very carefully, and the main thing by a svdokhnoveniye. Myrrh of game not so empty (as for the island embraced with an unknown infection). Zombies constantly wander about the island, you always risk to come across others survived, and nobody guarantees that the meeting will be pleasant to you. Even if anybody isn't present nearby, you never feel lonely, from is far loud breath of the zombie is distributed, and you is strained you wait from what party there is this creature... Besides an atmosfernost the game world is interesting by the interactivity. Many subjects it is possible to pick up, pump over, combine them among themselves and to make other pranks. Quests which you receive from minor characters almost always are rather original and are taken place with pleasure. Plus in game it is possible to have fun not only passing missions. It is possible to drive on jeeps and to press the zombie, to investigate world around and it is simple to play the fool. Especially cheerfully to do it in cooperative with friends. This game for certain has shortcomings, but I didn't find them... I claim that Dead Island game obligatory to passing! Expand
  84. Sep 10, 2013
    Maybe Dead Island was a disappointment when it came out, but apart from the bugs and some of the unimaginative side missions this game was amazing, the places you can go and explore where awesome,
    scavenging money, weapons, and food hasn't been so fun before, this game I would say it's very underrated. This game is a must, especially if you have a friend to play with.
  85. Sep 19, 2013
    This hell looks just like paradise. One of those games that can be played over and over again. Definitely not a perfect game (many bugs, physics is appaling, But damn it's really addictive fun. Nice vacation. 84/100
  86. Feb 19, 2014
    Apesar da críticas ruim é um ótimo game e recomendo. Os usuários que deram notas ruins são fanboys do Left 4 Dead que estão com inveja porque o Dead Island é tão bom quanto ele.
  87. Nov 25, 2013
    I found this game to be suprisingly excellent. Of course it does have its flaws and hicups, but they are extremely forgivable. I spent over 40 hours in this game, doing all the side quests, scavenging and doing the main story line, so it really gets a two thumbs up at that part. The coop is extremely fun, however the person´s animations that you play with seems kinda clunky, and also theI found this game to be suprisingly excellent. Of course it does have its flaws and hicups, but they are extremely forgivable. I spent over 40 hours in this game, doing all the side quests, scavenging and doing the main story line, so it really gets a two thumbs up at that part. The coop is extremely fun, however the person´s animations that you play with seems kinda clunky, and also the voice acting and overall acting of some characters is kinda derpy. Killing zombies is extremely satisfying and fun! One point i dont get is why everyone is complaining about performance issues, when i played it i had a phenom II 955 X4 and a hd 6870 and reached 60 fps static all the time with a tweaked ini file that pushed the overall pretty graphics/fov further then the normal. In the end i really like this game and it gets a super solid 8/10! Cheers Expand
  88. Nov 29, 2013
    I loved this game, and have played it and completed the game with all four characters. It is so confusing to me when I see a few bad reviews about this game, because I completely disagree. For me, I like the first-person view, the multiple weapons you can use and craft, the beautiful gameplay environment, and also when you search backpacks for money and other materials. That's always fun.I loved this game, and have played it and completed the game with all four characters. It is so confusing to me when I see a few bad reviews about this game, because I completely disagree. For me, I like the first-person view, the multiple weapons you can use and craft, the beautiful gameplay environment, and also when you search backpacks for money and other materials. That's always fun. I like how each character have their own separate personalities, and say witty things. Playing online is also fun, because sometimes you will meet people you don't even know, and join in their game, and help each other in hard missions.... First time I played this game, I was so freaked out. I got so consumed with the game, that's all I was ever doing, playing it, especially the City of Moresby. But learning your character's signature moves, and how to level up, which gets you more upgrades. Try it, it's the best game, to me, I ever played. Expand
  89. Jan 12, 2014
    A pretty good game. It brought a new and exciting feel to the zombie slasher games we see today. Sure there were bugs here and there like the walk thru doors bug in the city. Over all i had fun
  90. Feb 12, 2014
    Well,, The Graphic is Incredibly welldone and the Combat system with those zombies is thrilling I just loved it,, It is the best FPS Zombie horror genre game I ever played
  91. Mar 19, 2014
    A fun zombie-killing experience that has the right blend of difficulty, horror, and whimsy. It's not the best game - tons of glitches for one - but it is hours and hours of fun, great solo or in multiplayer. There are shortcomings of course: the sections where firearms are required get a bit tedious, and firearms themselves seem pretty weak when stacked up against the ridiculous amountA fun zombie-killing experience that has the right blend of difficulty, horror, and whimsy. It's not the best game - tons of glitches for one - but it is hours and hours of fun, great solo or in multiplayer. There are shortcomings of course: the sections where firearms are required get a bit tedious, and firearms themselves seem pretty weak when stacked up against the ridiculous amount of melee weapons you can get your hands on. There's also a fair bit of dumb design decisions in there, like making Alcohol an item that can take up a weapon slot, or having higher level weapon modifications available before the lower level variants. Despite that, the melee combat is both fun and challenging. The game holds up decently well, though it loses a bit of its charm in the later levels when things veer away from the combination of beautiful scenery with horrifying zombies. Still, it's not like it stops being fun, it just loses a little bit of that humorous juxtaposition.

All in all it's a great game, even moreso on the PC since it is HIGHLY moddable. Don't like some aspect of the game? There's probably a mod out there to change it.
  92. Jun 9, 2014
    Dead Island Is a mix between Borderlands and Left 4 Dead! The graphics are good despites the glitches that occurs often in the game! Also It is mostly made for Co-Op, If you play alone you will get to act 2 and also bored to death! Otherwise, play with 3 of your friends online and you will have a lot of fun! I recommend it for any fans of zombie games!
  93. Jun 24, 2014
    Dead Island might seem like another zombie game, but it's not. It's sunny outside, your character runs like an idiot, and that's what makes this game different.

Once again, the added value comes from the mutliplayer experience, as you can get all together in car and break some zombie bones on the way. It's a bit buggy but it's not ruining the game at all The storyline is not the best

The storyline is not the best one, but it's decent, and some parts of the world are really challenging. It's horror, rpg, action, range and melee. I love it !

The weapon crafting is nice, even if you have to repair your weapons twice during the missions, but you can create pretty much everything and you find new weapons all the time to replace the old ones.

Conclusion : Forget the bugs, forget the sensation of unfinished game, this is fun and you know it !
  94. Feb 6, 2015
    As like most people, I was initially drawn to 'Dead Island' because of it's mind-grabbing cinematic teaser trailer. However, unlike most people, when the game was actually released I wasn't disappointed in the least. And that's mostly due to the fact that 'Dead Island' has one of the most gorgeous and engrossing atmosphere's that I have ever seen in a video game. There's just somethingAs like most people, I was initially drawn to 'Dead Island' because of it's mind-grabbing cinematic teaser trailer. However, unlike most people, when the game was actually released I wasn't disappointed in the least. And that's mostly due to the fact that 'Dead Island' has one of the most gorgeous and engrossing atmosphere's that I have ever seen in a video game. There's just something about a zombie infested paradise that really does it for me and I can't get enough of it. The island of Hanoi truly is a vast and comprehensive environment that is worth exploring over and over again.

Aside from how wonderful the environment is, the gameplay is also extremely fun and balanced. Bashing zombies heads in with pipes, wrenches, paddles, and whatever else you can find never grows old, and the lack of immediate firearms is surprisingly refreshing. In fact, one of the best aspects of this game is how long it actually takes to get some guns. At first I admit I was wondering how long it would take to get them, but when I finally did, I realized I had way more fun using just about anything else. Not to mention you can modify preexisting weapons to make them more powerful, such as adding barbed wire to bats, and so on and so forth.

As for the story in 'Dead Island' it's nothing special and is pretty much what you would expect from a modern horror movie. A group of unlikely people are forced to work together as they take on zombie hordes and battle with internal conflict. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The dialog is minimal, which I found to be a good thing, and the progression makes about as much sense as it should. All-in-all the story does a fine job of moving the game forward, and considering most people aren't playing for the story, it's nothing to complain about.

When it comes down to it, 'Dead Island' offers a gorgeous atmosphere, solid combat with a wide variety of weapons, tons off quests to get side-tracked with, a soundtrack that sets the tone perfectly, an acceptable storyline with acceptable characters, and an overall balanced XP system. Pick this one up if you're a fan of zombies, first person shooters, exotic island madness, and cheesy horror movies. And even if you're not a fan of any of those things, I mean, what's wrong with you? Not one of those things appeals to you? Are you sure you're okay? You haven't been...bitten...have you...!?!?!?!?!
  95. May 30, 2016
    Take Far Cry's open-world tropical islands, add zombies, tack on a Borderlands-style skill system, and take away the guns. Don't look for a story, just kill zombies.

The vast majority of the time you will do this up close and personal as you brutally bash, slash, and curb-stomp your way through annoyingly tough walking dead. I hate to use the word realism in reference to a zombie game, but their resilience makes it feel like you're actually trying to put down angry human corpses that can't feel pain and just don't quit. To give you an idea, three walkers at once is a handful. You will not casually blast away hundreds of cardboard zombies as you do in other games.

Zombie activity levels range from screaming 28-Days-Later sprinters to corpses that simply lie there until you get close, then struggle awkwardly to their feet. This variation adds a suprising amount of interest and timing to encounters. For instance, my group is great at reacting to sprinters, but takes an embarrassing number of hits from the sneaky shufflers. There is a mechanic for breaking/severing zombie limbs to make them less dangerous (or kill via decapitation,) and for at least one type, this is almost essential to do. In ten hours I have only seen a couple of special zombie types, perhaps there are others later on.

I bought Dead Island when it came out. I was underwhelmed and gave it up after a few hours. Zombies had been done before, 1000 iterations of fetch quest had been done before, skill systems and breaking weapons had been done before. One of the marks of a great game is that it can do the same things other games have done, but do them so well you don't notice you've "played this already." Dead Island falls short of greatness. The whole thing feels like a copy of a copy. While I stand by that assessment, I did make one serious mistake the first time around: I played alone. Dead Island is like Left 4 Dead in that you simply do not get the proper experience by yourself. This is a co-op game through and through. My weekly team game night has been Dead Island the last few times and we're having a blast. Hence my return, 4 1/2 years after the most recent review, to write my own.

Visuals were top notch at release but no doubt can now be played on cheap machines. The repair/upgrade mechanic is fine, but zombies are apparently made of tungsten, because you will fix your weapons WAY too often. Controls are fine with two notable exceptions. First, getting too close to your teammates creates a shoving effect that can and will get you in trouble or keep you from getting out of it. Second, the cursor moves with maddening slowness on the menu screen. Plot and characters are so utterly forgettable I almost forgot to put this line in. But we're not here for plot or characterization. We just want to fight the dead.

Bored of Borderlands? Cashing out of CoD? Take your friends to Dead Island.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.