6.8

1. Sep 8, 2011
    Immersed on a zombie island in a more realistic approach. While having to repair my weapons on a regular basis may get monotonous it pushes me to be more selective and focus my skills in an intelligent way. Those who are sipping "hate-orade" on this game need to lighten up. It's got a great setting, good looking gameplay, and very fun. It's worth the purchase.
  2. BMF
    Sep 9, 2011
    I have been having loads of fun since Dead Islands shakey launch techland takes zombie smashing to a whole new level with a epic damage system and RPG goodness all coverd in a nice FPS wrapper. The shipped steam version was origanaly a buggy dev copy of the game but was quickly patched. Any launch bugs will be forgiven the first time you smack a zombie with a blunt object and his arm bone breaks and juts out of his arm in slow motion then if you want to realy over do it break their other arm and kick them over and laugh while they squirm and try to prop themselfs up with their usless limbs. Slashing weapons are just as visceral opening huge gashes and lopping heads arms and legs alike. Dead Island was built for 1 to 4 players. Difficulty seamlessly scales to your specific number of players and level so the action stays ballanced. Overall if you like killing zombies and you like RPGs and shooters this is your game 9/10 for a shakey launch and bugs. Collapse
  3. Nov 7, 2011
    After seeing all the negative reviews I had to put in my two cents. I think this game is fabulous! Dead Island is what I wanted l4d to be. I think what really makes this game work is the close hand to hand combat. When a horde of dead are chasing you down, you can't just turn around and shoot them with your machine gun. (at least at the beginning of the game) You actually have to face them at close range and crack each and everyone of them over the head with a bat. it really gets the adrenaline going! I find myself constantly looking around anytime I hear a zombie scream thinking they're going to chase me down around every corner. And do you ever get sick of bashing or slicing into a zombie? NO!

The other thing I love is the open world environment. I am a huge fan of Just Cause 2 and I get the same feeling in Dead Island to an extent. Being able to go where you want and do what you want is great. You don't get that linear feel like many fps games. Sure, the story isn't great but who gives a rats! Part of the fun is doing all the side quests. So what if Paco wants you to go and get a picture of his daughter and bring it back to him, or if Susan want's to know if her sister is dead or alive. Just Do It!
    (Plus you get cool stuff for completing the side quests.)

If you're on the fence about playing this game, don't be. Don't listen to all the negative reviews, they're just nit picking. Just play it and see for yourself.
  4. Dec 26, 2012
    Un jeu un peut difficile à comprendre au début, mais après quelque mission on assimile le fonctionnement et le jeu devient très intéressant. Assez long niveau durée de jeu, seul bémol pour moi c'est le multi qui s'active automatiquement et je suis plutôt un joueur solo. Sinon cela reste un bon jeu et sans problème en tout cas sous Steam, pas de bug. Expand
  5. Sep 7, 2011
    Dead Island,.. A big WOOOW. The game is beautiful, awesome storyline, stunning voiceacting, hilarious killing mechanism.
    If you are one of those who likes zombies, and want to kill them like in Dead Rising, then this game is definitely for you. Deep Silver did an awesome job giving us a great opportunity to live the game environment like if we were the character and it allows to play with
    friend in co-op which is the key of the game success!!
    This is one of the most expected games of this year (2011) and i'm enjoying every moment of it.
    This game is worth every penny spend buying the game. Buy it and play with your friends!!
    I'm promising you something, it will be one of your best experience when playing with your friend in co-op.
  6. Sep 10, 2011
    I really wanted Dead Island to be a good game, but I had my doubts. I was very pumped after that infamous first trailer, but my faith in the game went down from there. It is hard to screw up an open-world zombie game - and Deep Silver almost did. Luckily, Dead Island turned out to be an addictive and well-rounded RPG. I can tell that this game will be a strong guilty pleasure of mine for months to come. Expand
  7. Sep 7, 2011
    not a 10; game is an 8.5 but i just wanted to counter-act all the tweens raging about release issues. honestly its sad seeing the troll rage on the steam forums for the most trivial reasons only 12 hours after release. this is just one strong example of how metacritic userscores fail
  8. Sep 7, 2011
    First off, I have to say, do not even pay attention to the low user scores, They are simply pissed off impatiant people, and their reviews have nothing to do with the game. yes an extremely buggy wrong version was released on steam, But it was patched within a single day, The game runs great now as far as i can tell. Now about the game, it is a free roam zombie rpg game that takes place on a tropical island, basically everything i like about video games in one. However, the thing i like the most about dead island, is definitely the combat, The gorey zombie killing in this game feels more realistic than any other game i have played, Just the ability to chop off different limbs and kill zombies with numerous different weapons makes it that much more fun. Do not get this game confused with L4D, you do not kill 40 zombies with 1 shotgun blast like that game, At the beggining of the game you may even be overwhelmed by 4 or 5 zombies. But it feels like you are actually killing things and not just playing some arcade game. 10/10 Expand
  9. Sep 10, 2011
    it s borderland with zombie, just the perfect co-op game to play with some friends and a cold beer !
    I love it !!
    Sure it's not story driven...but who care, sand boxe game with awesome gameplay and co-op ??
    one of the best game i played this year.
  10. May 24, 2012
    If you loved Borderlands and you loved LFD2 or maybe Dead Rising you gonna love this.
    The game environment is detailed and beautifully done.. as well as wide open to explore different methods and routes.
    The combat is bloody and squishy and frenzied and a load of fun with different weapons.
    The weapons are many and can be upgraded as well as created into some killer stuff.
    on my
    gtx275, core i7 920 running Win 7 / 64 it runs flawlessly maxed out and coop games are click and go no BS involved.
    I had a back log and grabbed this game on sale and it was a steal.. well worth every penny.
    Great job to the Devs
  11. Sep 8, 2011
    Trust the critics on this one! By the time you've read this, you might already have heard about the problems @ release. That seems to be the main complaint with people. Since after the patch everything works just fine, this complaint is no longer valid.

What is Dead Island? Its smashing zombies heads in with hundreds of different weapons, with different stats and levels (unique and
    special weapons ). Its upgrading your weapons with your hard earned cash.
    It's by far the best look'n'feel I've seen in a melee fps ever ( go f... yourself oblivion )
    Its collecting blue prints for special weapon mods ( simple, but effective and fun crafting system ). Its tons and tons of loot. Its dozens of sidequests, plus an athmospheric main quest. Its collecting XP for an unexpectedly interesting skill tree.
    Its managing the deteriorating conidtion of your weapons.
    Its a kick ass intro song.

Its..... all kinds of crazy fun. All that in an engine with virtually no loading times and a smooth framerate even at high settings. Now there are some bad things aswell. The driving, being very very arcade, doesnt count to the games strengths. BUT: a) youll be on foot like 99% of the time, since this no gta clone. b) if you need the car its effective and brings you safely from a to b...in these moments you wont regret this not being gran tourismo c) C'mon guys, the protagonist shatters the windshield when it's cracked like the thoughtful bastard he/she is - thats gotta count for something :)

Also something PC players ( like me ) might dislike: theres no quicksave/load option since the game relies on checkpoints only. But since I'm usually a quicksave spammer, I appreciate the change of pace. This game is easily one of the best Zombie/Infected ( minispoiler ) games out there and has to mentioned along with games like left 4 dead and dead rising. But be advised ( or intrigued ): this game has a gore factor of Dead Space * Bloodymess Perk ( Fallout series ).
  12. Sep 9, 2011
    Found no bugs so far. Likely because I got it on the 9th while the guinea pigs got it on the 6th. :>

Real fun game to play with friends and the world is pretty huge.
  13. Sep 6, 2011
    This is a very good game. For all the funny youtube videos showing off the debug mode, it's less buggy than other open world games such as New Vegas or Oblivion, and has co-op to boot: especially important to note that this is not a single player game. You have that option, but you really need to bring a friend or three.

The plot isn't as paper thin as a title like Borderlands, but is
    still on the shoddy side; you won't mistake this for an Avellone venture. With gameplay this solid, though, the narrative sinking into the background while you and your friends are on voice chat suits it just fine.

The controls are slick, your actions feel purposeful. The melee combat is really well done, I was definitely impressed. This is all rather insubstantive so let me take you through a cool moment:

My friend and I saw this swole zombie by the edge of a pool full of bodies. I threw my cleaver at it, my buddy threw both his knives (and was then out of weapons). I moved in start wailing on it with my baseball bat, but it punched me and I went flying into the pool. As my character stumbled to his feet, the bodies in the pool got up.

I went into Fury Mode and started boxing them and my friend had to walk up to the big guy and pull his knives out of him - while he was still up and dangerous - in order to continue packing in the damage.

The game is full of things like this. I pre-ordered it Monday and it's been worth every penny.
  14. Sep 12, 2011
    Right... I can say that I'm enjoying it so far. Some comments that I've seen compare it to Fallout 3 mixed with left4dead, mixed again with Borderlands. IMHO that's certainly true; but with a hint of FO (but the dialogue is one-sided) a large dash of Borderlands (particularly the skills sytem), a sprinkling of Oblivion (in as much as it's heavily melee combat oriented) a pinch of Dead Rising 2 (combining items to make better weapons) and it has all the zombie gore of l4d.

I can't say with all honesty that it's better than L4D as they're games of a very different ilk; L4D is of course very heavy on gunplay, and Dead Island's emphasis is very much on melee combat. But the delight (and the occasional howl of anguish!) of it's combat system is in the improvisation that you find yourself doing - split second judgement even. You will find yourself thinking "right, I'm gonna throw this at here Fast Zombie sprinting towards me, then a quick kick to this one on the right, pick up this hammer here and try and break the arm of the one on the left....". Notice I said "break the arm". I could have equally said "cut off the arm" - which in itself is fantastic - this game gives you the ability to chop off various limbs (although you won't see any zombies dragging themselves along by their arms if you cut both legs off - believe me, I've tried!). It is hilarious though, watching a zombie trying to headbutt you to death!

The game is not perfect; there are some graphical glitches and the main storyline is a bit weak and dull in places. However, for the sheer joy of going toe-to-toe with the walking dead (and revelling in the resulting gore!) you can't get any better than Dead Island.
  15. Oct 8, 2011
    After having played this game for dozens of hours now both in single and multiplayer I can safely say it is the most fun I have had gaming in a long time. I have been gaming since the Commodore 64 days and it takes something a bit special to pique my interest these days. Dead Island was this game. Fairly derivative, true, but it combines all the elements so well. The story isn't going to win it any awards but it doesn't need to. It is simply a tool for pushing you forward to the next beautifully detailed area. Single player tends towards a paranoia inducing survival game - having you jump out of your seat every time you get set upon by some unsuspected shamblers. Multiplayer I think of almost as a thug simulator; your group charging around smashing the heads of everything in sight. It is a great fun romp and pretty to boot. Is it perfect? No. But it is tremendous fun and highly replayable. 10/10 for being the most fun I have had playing a game in ages. Expand
  16. Apr 27, 2012
    I must admit, against all negative reviews, i like this game. Not only because, it's polish game. Mostly because of very detailed and open world, simple but interesting plot, 100% steam integration ( VAC, co-op, achievements, steam cloud ) and elements of an RPG. As usual, there are some minor bugs, graphical mostly, but still, game runs smooth. Pure fun.
  17. Sep 6, 2011
    Loving this game so far! Its fun, different and what I hoped L4D would have been more of. I have had no problem with controls and any issues other trolls have problems with. If u like survival horror, rpg and fps melee you will like this game. If you like games being a movie, then go away.
  18. Sep 6, 2011
    Alright let me just say first off that as of now this game is fantastic if you're one of the lucky ones it works well for but incredibly frustrating if you have the issues some other people have. Since there will be patches though, I'm only judging the core gameplay here because I'm sure it will improve as they fix it up. For me, this game has so much I've wanted in a zombie game where it takes place in a large open world and supplies are realistically limited so that you really have to scavenge for supplies which encourages exploration. The combat in this game is a lot of fun and the gore from beating down zombies with blunt objects is incredibly satisfying and with the limb breaking it's also realistic. There's also a TON of sidequests and a lot of weapon mods to craft which will be taking up even more of your time. As far as graphics go, the island looks gorgeous and even with the bright sunny atmosphere, it managed to scare me many times with the infected screams and other ambiance. Only real flaws I've found with this game is that the coop seems rather broken as of now and the story and character development is subpar to say the least. I'd say this is a must buy AFTER it's patched up a bit. Expand
  19. MB_
    Oct 10, 2011
    This review is for the AK47s For All version of Dead Island. Unless you are a profound geek you do not want to play this game without that mod. Just google "AK47 FOR EVERYONE MOD v4.0" and you can transform this game from a scouring baggage sim to a jolly fine blood bath. I also used the 'Dead Island Helper' to remove some of the silly bloom fx and over saturation. With those two things and removing XP/hit point messages this game becomes so much more fun.

Loads of varied missions, massive maps, great graphics, loads of fun. I not only have recommended it to friends I bought it for them. No joke. It's great.

Please remember though that the first few chapters are all about doing bog standard things like learning driving and navigation and using the shops. Oh and that if you don't play with the mod you will have a much more boring and laborious time.

Have fun!
  20. Sep 15, 2011
    Best Zombie Game Evar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  21. Sep 20, 2011
    tl;dr: In a nut shell, Dead Island is like playing Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, and a touch of Condemned all at the same time. Some of the bells and whistles that give each of those individual games part of their charm is absent, but concocted together like this makes for a completely unique, innovative experience. Despite the odd glitch or two, Dead Island is a solid entry in the zombie genre that deserves its place among the greats.

If you're a cynical, jaded, veteran gamer, then like me, you sincerely had no expectations for Dead Island. Well you may have if you saw that exceptional pre-release trailer, but then Deep Silver producer Sebastian Reichert dashed all hopes when he made it a point to say that it was not reflective of actual gameplay, but merely meant to set a tone. After underestimating the deadliness of my first zombie encounter, and consequently getting annihilated, I'd say he has it all wrong. Unlike the zombies in Dead Rising that prove to be little more than road hazards, Dead Island zombies are comparatively terrifying. Slip up your guard once when you're surrounded and you're likely to become zombie chow. Not only that, but al a Condemned 2, once you do finally get your hands on a gun, good luck finding ammunition. Although it becomes much less scarce later near the end of the campaign, you will never feel like a double ammo-belt wearing, gun toting, killing machine. Alone or with friends, the tension you feel in knowing this remains constant. What more could a zombie apocalypse game fan ask for?

Amazingly enough, I could go on, but between drop in and drop out online co-op that works just as well as either Left for Dead game, as well as modifiable/upgradeable/repairable weapons, why are you even still reading this? Go buy it.

Before you do though, I should mention one teansy little problem. Although none of the bugs in this game are deal-breakers, there are enough of them to warrant a point deduction. My hope though is that this game is very successful and that a proper sequel with all the necessary improvements wont be far behind.
  22. Sep 10, 2011
    Although I haven't completed the game yet, I can safely say it is a good one. I've played around 11 hrs so far and love it. It really has that sense of actual survival to it, searching for items, money, food etc (except for only losing a bit of money and re spawning near where you died.) And being able to modify and create weapons but not to the retarded extent that Dead Rising 2 did with weapon modifications. I personally didn't experience any of the bugs and issues that a lot of people seem to have, and the only thing I don't like is that there is no v-sync option (only minor though). It's nice too to have a different setting, as the game is set in Papua New Guinea not the typical American setting etc. The developer techland, has managed to create a good and well fitting atmosphere for a zombie apocalypse.

Co-op is extremely fun, and the drop in drop out co op for me has worked flawlessly with no issues at all. Certainly a worthwhile purchase
  23. Sep 12, 2011
    If you are looking for a decent co-op this IS your game. I was playing with this game with 2 of my friends and I tell you we are having a real blast. There is nothing original in the game so to say, but it has every classic bit of zombie films including references.
    The graphic as others mentioned before: the humans animations are flat out horrible, the zombies look great however. The
    environment is gorgeous we stopped several times and said: wow while taking screen shots. The game has 5 different type of environment through the story and it does not feel rushed.
    The sound and background ambiance together with the music is also very very good.
    The bugs: I was lucky enough to play with the after-patch version only and played through the whole game without anything game breaking.
  24. Sep 11, 2011
    This is the best Zombie game ever made, any Zombie fan wants this game, yes its very like Fallout 3 but I remember when playing FO3 i thought to myself, ''wouldnt it be great if they made a zombie game like FO3''. Left 4 Dead was all we had before this but for real zombie fans L4D was a let down, Left 4 dead could have had Aliens or Monsters and it would be the same game, Zombies spawning out of nowhere sucks but that aside left for dead had alot to offer as a multiplayer action game, saying that Dead Island its very similar to L4D in multiplayer. **** dead island is very similar to Resident Evil 4-5, Olbivion, fallout, farcry 2. its like the Dev's played all these games and made the perfect Zombie game from them, not very original but who cares. The only problem is now we have the perfect zombie game, Zombies are starting to get boring and over done in games and movies, yes it has bugs but nothing too bad that cant be fixed over time, I can see scores going up over time and a possible GOTY nomination. this game is on par with Deus ex and the Witcher 2 for best game of the year. It is a must buy if you love zombies, rpgs and survival horror. The almost perfect mix if not a little too late. Expand
  25. Sep 10, 2012
    Perhaps the best most realistic zombie game ever made.

The hit detection is more advanced than any other game out atm. Example: you chop a zombie in the arm with a machete, the arm gets chopped off, after that he only hits your with his other arm, and if you chop off his other arm he will try to bite, headbutt and kick you.

Although the multilayer isn't awesome the single player puts
    L4D2 single and multilayer to shame. There is no unlimited health or unlimited ammo, you will never feel like your running though the same map made with some POS map editor (Hammer) along the exact same path over and over and over just to get a better score. Its different every time; you have somewhat of an open world scenario where you can trade weapons with other survivors at hideouts. If you shoot a zombie in the hand you wont kill him. You can play this game how ever you want. Expand
  26. Sep 24, 2011
    Welcome to Dead Island! Please enjoy your stay on our scenic (if some what glitchy) tropical island. A few comments I want to make about the game; one it's glitchy - you can and will fall into scenery from time to time, or in between objects and get stuck. Occasionally sprinting zombies will phase through closed doors, and sometimes you will fall off ladders because you passed too close to another object. On the brightside, reloading from the last checkpoint doesn't change anything on your character. You keep all items, experience and durability - for better or worse.

Two; the story is shallow and so is the voice acting. The main characters all have fairly solid voice acting, but every supporting character sounds like an archetype, especially the Australian accents which sound right out of Crocodile Dundee 2. Three; the combat is clumsy. Every character feels like they are drunk and it is hard to tell exactly at what angle you should be spamming attack at to get the most hits off on a zombie before your character starts clumsily trying to adjust for proximity to target.

Four; great visuals... so long as you don't look too hard. Ditto, the sound effects. You see everything is gorgeous, it's not Crysis gorgeous, or even Farcry 2 pretty, but it's magnificent. The problem is that there is texture ripping, you will see weapon reflections in the water distort, or water effects disappear in blood filled pools. It's a problem. As for the sound, it's possible that maybe my speaker setup isn't ideal, but all too often the screaming of the flesh-hungry infected doesn't correspond with where they are actually located.

Five; lack of killer instinct. A small complaint, but Left 4 Dead zombies weren't afraid to put the boot in when you went down, Dead Island zombies knock you down and proceed to leave you be... until you stand up again. More punishment please, make me more scared to get into combat.

But stay with me here; these three things do NOT hinder the game in the least, they are things that can be fixed later on or with mods. What matters here is the ATMOSPHERE, and this game has an unlimited supply of it. From the minute you escape the hotel, to your first fight on the beach, you will be awed by the beauty of the game, from the way arms and legs break, to your first head splatter or decapitation kill on a zombie. Combat, while clunky feels good when you land a blow. A sledgehammer to the head knocks zombies on their ass, while to the arm likely breaks it and forces the zombie to attack with the other arm - and if that goes, headbutting and biting you instead.

When you finally get a firearm, late into the game you will hoard your limited ammo and save it for your human antagonists who, like yourself, are much more sensitive to a bullet in the brain pan than even the zombies. This game is all about melee and thrown weapons and it works in it's own special way, because it makes you fear getting surrounded or surprised, you worry about hordes of zombies and you will panic when you hear and then see your first infected screaming and sprinting at you. All weapons have stats, durability and are randomly generated, they can be upgraded, modded and otherwise improved. This gives the game longevity, especially when combined with the Borderlands-esque levelling and skill progression system. Finally, co-op. Just like Borderlands it's drop in/drop out, you get to keep all your loot and experience, as well as quest progress - provided you're close enough in level to the person you are playing with. All in all this is a game well worth getting, even with it's many flaws, if only for the satisfyingly visceral combat and tense atmosphere.
  27. Sep 25, 2013
    All of my Romero fantasies rolled into one. There's no shopping mall, but the tone, atmosphere and level of immersion in Dead Island is incredible. Can get a little repetitive later on with the over-population of zombies in some areas, and some (not all) fetch-quests are somewhat boring, but excellent, bloody stuff nonetheless.
  28. Sep 20, 2011
    I'm 20 hours in and loving this. The combat doesn't dissapoint, the looting is even more addictive than in Borderlands, the graphics are up to standards, and the interesting environment makes the sidequests (which are basicly fetching, or going to touch a button) worth it.

Surprise hit of the year, for me. Thumbs up.
  29. Sep 25, 2011
    Awesome game, especially for someone who has friends to play it with. Really nice graphics and logical controls, not like many of those console ports offer today. Well, maybe menu is a little weird to operate at times, but nothing major. The big plus is length and difficulty level. It's really hard sometimes to play it solo, and even with friends. Prepare to die a lot if you're not paying attention. Also game length is awesome. There are many side quests, random events and places to explore. Some people say there are technical issues. I didn't experience any. MUST HAVE FOR EVERY ZOMBIE FAN Expand
  30. Sep 15, 2011
    The only reason I don't give this game a 10/10 which it deserves gameplay and atmosphere-wise is the bugs constantly pestering this game. control randomly freezes, cannot escape machinegun nests, graphical artefacts and so on. Even though this game is riddled with bugs, the funness of the coop experience and the satisfaction of getting hefty rewards for quests comes triumphant over the bugs and glitches. I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys coop games, anyone who enjoys rpg games and to anyone who enjoys fps games. this game really is the best of both worlds. Expand
  31. Sep 12, 2011
    I can't believe that some people give this a stupidly low score because of a couple of minor bugs. This game is great and is far less buggy on the day of release than so many big games I have played lately! Anyone remember Black Ops - unplayable for over a week! For me, the only bugs I have seen is a couple of floating objects (which loads of games have lately) and I can't kick the sandcastles over (which is not a bug but a shame). My mate who has AMD GFX had issues with some lighting, but that will do down to AMD drivers and not the game as it is perfect on my NV card.

Back to Dead Island... it works like a cross between Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead set in Crysis - it's great fun. The story and the characters are pretty good and the fighting is awesome. The game is very pretty, but set on a pacific island it's hard not to be pretty - but that aside, the graphics are done well but they are quite intensive.

Can't wait to get home and play this again!
  32. Sep 25, 2011
    regression the early hours of a zombie infection Dead Island: regrea a classic zombies. could play this out from the mind of George A. Romero, rarely find loading screens, ensuring free exploration few are accustomed to first-person games with melee weapons, but I liked the change ami to other games ... he usually does worse in some cases
  33. Aug 21, 2012
    I will never understand how people can so virulently rail against a developer for releasing a game with bugs. Granted, this game had some huge ones on release day (I hear), the sad fact is that most games nowadays are released earlier than they should be, and have bugs/problems. While I agree this should never have become the norm, giving a game a 0-2 because of bugs that were resolved within days is going to do nothing but lead potential future buyers away from purchasing a fantastic game that they would love. ********************************************************************************************************* That's exactly what this is: A fantastic game. People that were initially expecting the game to be like Dead Island or Left 4 Dead may be disappointed at first, but if they can look past their expectations, they will find a true gem. The closest actual comparison to this game is a zombie-themed Fallout 3 on a tropical island. Personally, I think this is by far the best zombie game on the market. Individual zombies are relatively weak and easy to pick off, but large groups of zombies become serious threats REALLY quickly, and larger "thug" enemies require some strategy to kill, rather than simply more bullets. At the same time, if you are reckless and swinging your weapon all over the place, you will run out of stamina, and even small groups will be challenging. I honestly think the combat is amazing, and is just about perfect, except for the fact that the characters' "kick" command (default button is E, I think) is a little overpowered, and it's easy to keep medium groups of zombies stunned on the ground by spamming it. If they nerfed it, though, the game might become too difficult. ************************************************************************************************************** Starting out in this game, be prepared to have crappy weapons that you need to repair all the time. It evens out later on, though, especially as you unlock other attacks. Case in point, I used to have 3 weapons that I needed to repair in every town visit, but by about level 16ish, I had 1 main weapon that only got down to about 50% durability, with less frequent town visits. This is a beautifully done, rock-solid (no crashes or glitches at all on my system), visceral zombie basher. It's DEFINITELY better with friends, but I even enjoy the single player campaign. If there were no release day issues, I firmly believe this game would have over an 8 user score. Expand
  34. Sep 15, 2011
    this game is a smash hit ive played for over 5 hr and have yet to see a bug played by yourself its scary as hell but with a friend or two it the most fun ive ever had on a game and ive been at it before pong its funny to see how many give it neg reviews but yet its top of the steam sale's maybe its time to upgrade your computers or stop thinking a game is gona launch bug free. I just got this sep 6 and it running like butter max settings on my 4 yr old dell inspiron computer with only a so so video card upgrade Expand
  35. Sep 6, 2011
    Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombie survival horror with item collection and character skill advancement trees. Its as If Borderlands and Dead Rising got together and had a baby, that baby would be dead Island. This game has rich four player co-op, simple yet effective story, a deep weapon crafting and character customization system. Do you love zombies? Exploration? character advancement? item collections? co-op? then dead Island is a no brain-er. The only reason this game doesn't get a ten is due to a slightly bugged user interface that should be fixed this week with a patch.

36. Sep 6, 2011
    Dead Island is suffering from the typical "First Day/Week Hiccups" Nearly every game is packed with bugs within the first week or so, I am going to be doing an early review on things. Dead Island is an extremely fun game, that is worth the money . Logging in and playing with a friend for the first time is a blast, as you hack and slash every zombie that comes your way and you always scream "Ooooohhhh" whenever you slaughter a zombie. The co-op set up was very convenient, but lacked hints or a clue on when your co-op buddy can join you, after the Prologue your friend can join. Otherwise the co-op seems to really play smoothly and not suffer from any other issues that I came across.

Experience: I am a gamer who does not fully believe every "Professional" reviewer, I look through them and then try the game myself, and find that most of the time I enjoy it even if the review was abysmal. It all matters about the experience you have with the game. As I mentioned before I played with my buddy through the co-op system, and we had a blast. The game does not seem to get old, the hacking and slashing, the gore and the exploration is just a pure treat. Every swing and throw I have done was an experience I have never felt before in a game, the brutal contact you make with a melee weapon to a zombie is just satisfying and you can feel their head crunch and necks snap. Overall Dead Island is definitely an experience you'll remember for a long time, and especially with a friend, you'll be laughing a lot.

(re)Playability: Every gamer wants a game worth the money, and a game they can come home and enjoy hours on end, and this game is one of them. There are a TON of side-quests waiting for your acceptance and a vast amount of weaponry. There are weapon upgrade/repair tables around the world, which can be used for creating weapons, repairing weapons and upgrading weapons, and every single weapons has at least 3 upgrades giving you a chance to craft some crazy weapons and gather materials for blueprints and look for weapons. That's a lot of (re)playability there. Overall the (re)playability is very high, and I can tell that the game will offer another or...another play though, and I could tell there is too much to explore, and you won't be exploring it all on the first play through.

Graphics and Animation: When I first starting playing the game my first reaction was "Wow this look nice" Its a rare case to find an open-world game to look so beautiful. As a 3d Environment Artist for games myself, I study the game world (I know nerdy) and I just felt in love with the environment, it is very well done for a open-world game and they deserve two thumbs up, but one thing I noticed is that some zombies tend to look too "wrinkly" the normal maps on some enemies are a bit "over exaggerated"compared to others and seems that the normal infected look better than the bosses, which was kind of odd to me, but it is not too much of a deal. The lip-syncing is not very good, but its nothing to ditch the game for, and the cut scenes are "meh" The animations for the zombies are great though as they switch and run at you, there is one kind of zombie that I seriously acted real (if zombies were in existence of course) Overall the art in this game is well done.

Conclusion: As I mentioned this is my early review on things from what I experienced, and take what you want from this, but what I can say is Dead Island is getting some harsh reviews for things like: Glitches, story, lip-syncing, performance,etc" and this game JUST came out, I feel that it is quite unfair. The reason this is not a 10 is because of the rumors I heard on a Dev-build in which I figured because of the no-clipping, and some evidence of code that a steam user posted on the forums. This hopefully should be fixed, but I don't rely on that, as I mainly rely on my enjoyment and experience I had, and I already had an amazing experience with the game that is not even finished yet! Are you still debating whether to get this game or not? Well the comparison of "Fallout 3 with Zombies" is actually fairly true, it is really great. This game is the first game in a long time that I look forward everyday to play its the "I can't wait to get home from ____ to play this game" kind of feeling, and I haven't felt that in a long time. I don't blame anyone for waiting to get the game when things clear up a bit, but this is a must get no matter when you decide to play it. 9/10.
  37. Sep 6, 2011
    Great when playing with friends and do the co-op together. The game has a good atmosphere with a good character advancement tree + crafting. If you enjoyed Dead rising or Borderlands, you will enjoy this game.
  38. Sep 6, 2011
    First off, I'm one of those 'poor' victims that have been left to play Dead Island on the PC with the 'developer' version or whatever the hell that was. After being linked to this metacritic thing and seeing how biased people's votes were, I just had to make an account myself to rate it for myself.

The game was quite nice even when there was obvious bugs/issues that literally consumed 2
    hours for me and my friends in trying to get a single lobby going where all of us were in the same game. Of course after we got that out of the way, we only suffered minor issues such as graphic cards overheating and crashing someone's computer and crashing our game due to random things like, crashing into a female zombie with a truck. But overall, I found that the game had a huge potential. Its intended features/concepts are present but just left in a lackluster manner due to the known bugs/issues that was released on the first day for the US. So I say give this game a chance, and ignore the 'rage' from these people that are bringing this game's score down to as low as 4.4. Chances are you'll like this game since it offers a lot of fun and exploration, as well as replay value. Oh and in before massive negative votes on this review post from those same raging nerds that can't just go have a life and maybe return late in the evening to find a better patch---Or something, rather than wasting their time trying to defame a game after only a single cluster of issues (admittedly a huge cluster). Because don't get me wrong, they should have avoided all of this via quality assurances or something.

Was actually going to give this game a 8/10 or 9/10 because it was quite satisfying for me, excluding all the annoying bugs and the inability in 'push to talk' or having an easier way to arrange lobbies. But since the game's score has been shot down by angry nerds, I must give it a 10. Enjoy the game when it's fully patched.
  39. Sep 6, 2011
    I've only been playing this for a few hours. But put simply? My game of the year! Yes, there are a few bugs but so far, nothing game breaking. Controls are fine, environment are amazing. The only thing is the voice acting but I can live past that.
  40. Sep 6, 2011
    Iv played this game since it was unlocked on steam this morning and i cant stop. i dont know why people are trolling this game? i can run 1980x 1080x perfectly fine, maybe dont buy computers from bestbuy ? or for you Canadians Future shop. cause future shop is the red devil :) . The game is very fun thou the story is meh. bottom line you will have hours of fun with your friends just be sure to play coop Expand
  41. Sep 7, 2011
    Dead Island is a grounding breaking game in the zombie genre. The graphics engine provides a truly beautiful landscape that causes the player to become fully immersed in the apocalypse. The game combines a lot of elements from a lot of other good successful games - It is a combination of games like Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, and Borderlands. Gameplay itself is exhilarating and fresh. The games begins as you learn the mechanics by taking amateur weapons like a paddle to defend yourself against a few walking undead. As the game progresses and players learn how to work together and coordinate themselves against zombie attacks, the game seems easier and more relaxing in such a beautiful landscape. The chapter one "tutorial" then begins for real - difficultly ramps up once players begin to become skilled with one another, and it no longer is a "4 player hunting party" but a "4 player party fight for survival." Zombies become faster and more horrifying. You no longer clear a building for all its loot, but run from place to place picking up scavenged objects to simply stay alive. The game works well - you eventually develop a healthy paranoia and almost never feel safe at every turn, which leads to a great adrenaline filled experience. Even better, this great experience lasts a long time...I have more than 20 hours played and still haven't even scratched more than half of the game content. The game has a high replay value with four character classes each with three separate skill trees. The only negative point I can add about the game is that its not a single player game. Its not meant for single player. As difficulty ranks up it would be extremely challenging to survive the undead by yourself...and the developers know this and even implemented an easy to use system to meet new people in case you don't have friends. If you do have friends that play games Dead Island is a must get for all of you. Nothing is a better cooperative experience than screaming at the top of your lungs in pure horror because your friends can't drive the getaway vehicle fast enough, or aren't climbing to safety in time for your own demise. A person reading these reviews may wonder why a game as great as this has such a mixed response, and the reason why is because many people downloaded an incorrect version of the game. Since the real version is now out, players can enjoy an ENTIRELY bug free game that is a must have for 2011. Expand
  42. Sep 7, 2011
    If your computer can run this game without any problems, then buy this game!
    This is the best zombie game I have ever played, It has 4 player coop, amazing graphics, and fun, zombie-killing action!
    I played this game ALL NIGHT the day it came out (Monday at 9pm on steam).
    My friend and I just played and played, killing hundreds of zombies.
    This is a very fun game, if your comp can
    handle it (luckily mine can).
    BUY IT NOW
  43. Sep 8, 2011
    Way too much motion blur and head bobbing for me. The developers were clearly going for an immersive, first-person experience here, but every little thing you do, whether it's looting a container, opening a door or attacking a zombie has the screen shaking all over the place and every little twitch causes huge motion blur. Add to that the usual "raspberry jam" overlay effect every time you're injured and it just makes the screen a colluded mess. Perhaps this is fine for console gamers sitting on their couches 10 feet from the screen, but when you're staring at your PC monitor 1.5 feet away from your nose, I found it to be too much.

There's other console elements like button mashing mini-game annoyances to do various things (kick open a jammed door, push a zombie off of you). I was hoping for more of an RPG feel, but got more of an action/adventure console port.

It's also not that open world. Sure, there's various buildings around the island but you can't enter them. Sure, there's an ocean out there but you can't swim in it ("Turn back! You're leaving the play area!"). Do I even need to mention the abundance of tribal, barbed-wire tattoos and piercings on everyone and the D-grade rap music? Eh, teenage boys rejoice I guess.
  44. Sep 9, 2011
    When I first saw Dead Island's trailer I was shocked, then I saw the previews and once I realized it was similar to Borderlands, then I knew I had to play this game!
    Being Borderlands co-op one of my favourite games ever, I can say Dead Island's multi player is FUN, The whole zombie Hunting with 3 friends idea makes this game a very enjoyable -and scary!- experience to play! I am loving
    it so far! Expand
  45. Sep 9, 2011
    This is a great game!
    Your on an island filled with zombies, how can it get any better?
    While its kind of a pain to join coop, I did figure it out.
    Dont pay attention to the bad reviews, those are just people with crap comps that cant play.
  46. Sep 9, 2011
    Everyone has heard by now that Dead Island may be a bit buggy, but im playing the UK PC release, and after putting in 5 hours already I can honestly say its one of my favourite games of the year. Great graphics, very addictive gameplay, awesome weapon crafting, great combat (its nice not just shooting stuff from a distance, getting up close makes it way more hectic!), loads and loads to do, nice rpg elements. Im playing this maxxed out on the PC and it looks stunning, so far my top- game of the year! Expand
  47. Sep 9, 2011
    Simply the best zombie game to date. The combat feels very visceral with the game's outstanding damage models. A constant sense of struggle and survival makes this a very solid buy for either a single-player or multi-player experience.
  48. Sep 10, 2011
    In its current state, Dead Island suffers from technical issues. These technical issues, however, do not prevent it from being what I would argue is a unique and thrilling game. While almost none of the concepts in the game are original, the eclectic mix which I have described as Dead Island meets Oblivion meets Borderlands, is a unique and incredible atmosphere.

Graphics : Absolutely
    stunning, the world is made fantastically and incredibly, with a myriad of environments to be absorbed in. The zombies running around on the beaches, for example, stand in stark contrast to the dark and creepy halls of the hotel, or inside certain larger buildings. The zombies themselves are crafted brilliantly, being appropriately disgusting, and they even look good when limbs start coming off. 9.5

Gameplay: Combat has yet to get old for me. The fact that guns & bullets are so scarce creates for some epic zombie hacking gameplay, and using the lady from Hong Kong, her special ability to crush heads with high-heels is perpetually hilarious. While quests may be tedious, the combat isn't, and as such it makes the quests well worth while. Co-op makes it that much better, and it never stops getting funny when there's one zombie left and your crew runs up and starts stomping it to death together. 9

Sound: Nothing spectacular. Enough to create atmosphere, but the voice acting does leave a bit to be desired. 6

Atmosphere: Brilliant. I touched on this in the graphics section, but Ive found the environment to be engrossing and enthralling. Being able to explore a large open world, which is littered with zombies, is an exciting and unqiue experience. While the penalties for death are quite low, the game manages to keep me on the edge of my seat as I traverse the zombie ridden landscape. Never, when outside of specific safe zones, do I feel totally safe. Furthermore, many of the areas are composed of very compact little lanes with limited visibility, so you never know what could be around the next corner. Even when driving, the game keeps you very worried about hitting something or getting stuck, because when you do the zombies will be all over you. This fear is diminished when playing in co-op however, as having friends there creates a sense of security that is otherwise absent when playing by yourself. 8.5

Technical: The game suffers from bugs. Straight up. These seem to be constantly worked on and are being patched out, which is excellent, and in time it will resolve them. For now they can be very irritating, like arbitrarily being spawned on the opposite side of the map from where you were, while your friends are still there fighting. 7

Overall, I chose to rate this game a 9, because its short comings, in my mind, are more than made up for by its strong points. Its quirky, unique, odd, and a damn good time. I would, however, highly recommend playing with friends and using voice because when you do the game is that much better.

Thanks for reading this and for your time.
  49. Sep 10, 2011
    this game is so epic i dont even know were to begin its simply awsome people just diant like this game cause there were whinning its great :)..th this does not deserve such a low user score. you can mod weapons and create in all sorts of way rag and galss on a batton is my favorite and the story and side quests make it very long plus using the diffrent character classes
  50. Sep 10, 2011
    Don't let anyone fool you, the game had some huge problems the first couple days but they have patched it up pretty well and it runs amazingly. With a couple friends this is one of the best co-op experiences available.
  51. Sep 10, 2011
    Good zombie survival game to play with friends and a unique feeling of survival and it reminds me of the movie 28 days later(its stupid to give a new released game a bad evaluation because it has few bugs)
  52. Sep 11, 2011
    Fun game, overall very solid. There are a lot of little irritations with the game and it could do greatly with a nice patch to add in some basic tweaks, features and bug fixes. In my opinion its everything left4disappointment should have been.
  53. Sep 11, 2011
    Having just finished this game in SP mode, and intending to COOP it with a different character soon, I believe that this game was worth the money, I've clocked up around 30-35 hours of gameplay from the game, and it was WELL worth the money I spent on it.

Although, I seem to be one of the lucky few who didn't have any bugs/glitches with game, aside from a few graphical errors such as
    weapons vanishing into the ground, the melee combat and explorative elements made up for those.

My favourite part of the game is definitely Act 1, you're just starting out and are basically switching weapons between every few battles which for me gave it a survival element, alongside the use of using soda cans to heal and there was barely any use of guns.

Act 2 was also pretty good, the area was quite awesome to explore aswell as the constant threat of groups of zombies attacking you, however it was let down slightly from the exponential increase in availability of guns, seriously like every thug either having an assault rifle or a pistol, however sewers felt like it was copied and pasted.

Act 3 was my least favourite, environment was nice but also looked like it was copied and pasted to take up space.

In conclusion I'd say that the game is worth a purchase, and rate it atleast 7.5/10, probably higher if I had played COOP with my friends, the story is there to basically push the player to different areas and is lackluster, characters in the game aren't really fleshed out, moreso just introduced to give a quest more than anything, quests were similar to borderlands but were still quite fun, again though, the melee combat and explorative elements really made this game for me, being able to remove limbs from zombies/playing strategically e.g removing arms from thugs was pretty awesome.
  54. Sep 11, 2011
  55. Sep 12, 2011
    Dead Island is a fresh new take on the zombie genre, out with the old dark mansion; and in with the glorious Island of Banoi. This game fully deserves a rating of 10 because although it has its glitches which will go, it is a very dense and fun experience. The story is ok - good. The island is beautiful, the game play is great. Fully recommend this game.
  56. Sep 13, 2011
    Great Zombie game...I never got bored playing and I had played hours and hours without pause...Excellent combat system :) Better than left 4 dead I and II...I'm playing till the end
  57. Sep 13, 2011
    Despite the mixed reviews, this game is fantastic. Technically flawed? Sure. There are environment and graphics bugs, its very easy to get stuck in the environment if you wander off too far or try to climb too many cliffs. Some staircases are nearly impossible to climb, lots of graphics and texture pop-in. But... they do not affect the gameplay, which is solid. The character progression and item system are incredibly satisfying for those who love a good oldschool action rpg. Think diablo style stamina and tech trees, in a fallout style open world, with excellent zombie smashing combat. If you like zombies, or action rpg's you will be hooked instantly. Dead Island was smart in giving weapons fairly low durability. This does two things, it makes the workbench your best friend (which also encourages you to mod/upgrade weapons), and ensures that you never really feel safe despite having a full inventory. If you stir up a large pack of zombies, you will watch as your weaons crumble in your hands as you bash head after zombie head. Managing your weapons is as important as managing your health, and really makes you consider how well equipped you are before you venture too deep into infected territory. This also means that sometimes coming across a shovel or a stick or a canoe paddle at a key moment can literally save your life. All in all, this game is flawed, but extremely enjoyable. There are bugs, its not perfect, in fact from from it. But if things like weapon modification, skill trees, stamina bars, and all the hallmarks of good old fashioned action rpg's sound like what youve been missing over the last couple of years, this game is for you. Think borderlands without the boring. Think fallout meets diablo II with a stack of zombies and gore thrown in. This game will have mixed opinions, but for those who like these things, it will be an awesome experience. Expand
  58. Sep 13, 2011
    A botched early release will likely keep it from winning any awards, but Dead Island is a pretty excellent game. The first-person melee is very fluid- it's what Deus Ex 3 should've had instead of that context-insensitive BS. Even though the enemies stayed consistent almost the entire game I still found the combat more satisfying than that of its shooter/looter cousin, Borderlands. The guns are scarce for a while, but there are plenty in the late-game. Also, as opposed to Borderlands, the world feels more like a an actual WORLD, and the environments are amazing. The drop-in drop-out multiplayer can reliably find you someone to play with most of the time. It's better if you have a group, but not necessary. The cutscenes in which your whole group appears are a little jarring if you're playing alone, but you're not playing it for the story.

Which brings me to the story- standard zombie apocalypse video game fare, despite what the tear-jerker trailer would have you believe. Some of the voice acting is sub-par. The voice actor for Logan in the opening cutscene sounds like he's reading off a script and has never been drunk in his life. Not a good start.

Overall, the thing that really makes it is the first-person-melee. They provide enough weapons and enough attack options such that it stays challenging. It's the first time I've seen it done well in a game, and I hope it spawns imitations. Really tired of seeing "Press A to engage cutscene mode" as an alternative.
  59. Sep 13, 2011
    I like open world games, i like weapon crafting, i lke to become more powerful while i play and i like zombies. To sum it up, i absolutely love dead island. I've played 27 hours so far and no bug since now (uk release). Some moments in game made my jaw drop down, like the strange noises near the huge hotel and the noises in the city. Had to shiver when i remember these moments. Best game so far in this genre. Expand
  60. Sep 14, 2011
    I think you need to take reviews from people that comment on the release issues and other negatives with a grain of salt. Can they say they have never made a mistake? We are human. Try having some patience, and waiting a couple days after release and then you won't need to worry.
    So about the game. I personally think that the story line and atmosphere are fantastic. The interior
    graphics are not particularly impressive, but the exterior is fantastic....and certainly can draw you in. the gameplay itself is fun as hell. You can blow up gas tanks and set zombies ablaze, smash in head, and hack off limbs. And you get a slow motion view of some of these happening. I can't say I've had any more enjoyment in a game. Period. The minus . so sure, some of the quests are a little lame and don't seem to really relate to the key survival of the group getting off the island. But look, your character is not super human. He does need help form others, and they need to be fed. They can't assist you if they are hungry or dead. And they are hysterical. Most people would be freaking out if they were trapped on an island with zombies..They want to know if their loved ones are alive. Do they care if you face danger? No. As long as they don't. If you don't want to help them, don't. But you DO want to go smash up some zombies. Trust me!
    Other trifles - there are some issues with the logic behind the weapon durabilities. Metal weapons should last very long, wooden ones should break really easily. Lead pipes seem to turn into noodles within a few zombies, as do military grade knifes. This will likely be fixed by a mod. Also, the item re-spawn is too fast. It should be harder to find money etc, however a fair number of paddles and sticks should be available at all times to smash the zombies! You should feel like there are not that many things, and a sense of danger and urgency exists. Again, easily fixed by tweaking some of the game's setting I'm sure.

In summary - this game is a lot of fun, and came through on it's promises. There are a number of other games that can be compared that were only great once moded (Oblivion - with OOO level tweaking). Provided a few modifications can be done to this game, it will rank close to some of these greats IMO. Thank god we have computers instead of a crappy console!
  61. Sep 14, 2011
    After all updates I am very satisfied with this game. It took me days to finish every side quest and explore every square meter of Banoi. I had to tweak the graphics with some 3rd party tools, but now the game looks so good I don't want to stop playing it. The coop mode is a nice addition and a lot of fun when you are playing with friends and I had no troubles relating to the main characters immersing myself more and more in the story. Whilst the ending isn't too good it doesn't matter at all since this game is about having fun in a postapocalyptic paradise. Grab a weapon, modify it and wade through pools of blood and guts with your friends! Expand
  62. Sep 15, 2011
    Don't let the crybabies scare you off! The people that keep giving this game low marks for being buggy are doing the gaming community a disservice - this is a great game. Nobody likes buggy game play but the bugs will get fixed. I read Metacritic specifically to compare the user and critic reviews. I donâ
  63. Sep 16, 2011
    Just finished this game with the girlfriend. We had an absolute blast decapitating, running over, electrocuting, torching, exploding, dissolving and repeatedly kicking to death every zombie that dared to get in our way. The reported bugs didn't touch us, and with the most solid melee combat system since Dark Messiah this is what I had hoped L4D was going to be. The game is mostly melee, with the throwing and gun characters being able to exclusively use range only late in the game.

Going to replay through again with friends, what i hope they add is more levels and gear, but most of all a way to reset your skills would be great.

Was great hearing some Aussie accents and name dropping in an AAA title, even if it was over the top. Borderlands meets Dead rising, my favourite game so far this year.
  64. Sep 16, 2011
    Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombie survival horror with item collection and character skill advancement trees. An excellent game and a lot of hours of fun gameplay.
  65. Sep 16, 2011
    Based on what I've seen, Dead Island looks like a game with amazing graphics, scary looking zombies and views that look like post cards. (My brother owns a copy, I was watching him playing it.)

I'm undecided on whether to play or not, but I'd like to think I would play it.. eventually. I like zombies. I'm a huge fan of the Left 4 Dead games. When I saw the Dead Island trailer, where the
    little girl turns into a zombie, I thought "wow, this looks beautiful. This trailer is so sad."

Although I can't give Dead Island an official score, I'll give it a ten. Until I've played it.
  66. Sep 16, 2011
    Dead island is a very fun game to play with your friends. Graphics are not groundbreaking but they do the job. The leveling system is enjoyable and makes you want to keep playing. Each character has a different skill tree.
  67. Sep 17, 2011
    Well, when I first picked up Dead Island, I was a bit leery of what I was going to get here- coming from games such as oblivion and all, I was not expecting much. But to be honest- this game delivers a bit more than what you bargain for.

Graphics/Optimization On PC- 7.5
    This game, is really nothing to proud of in the graphics department- the textures are a bit shoddy, but get the job done
    nicely while still looking nice. On the PC, it runs just very nicely on very old systems To say the least, they did a fine job of making the game look good- while having good performance. Some people complained about texture popup- but to be completely honest, it was either too subtle to see, or I did not experience any at all.

Gameplay- 9
    Now this is where things get interesting- imagine having a swarm of zombies coming at you- and you having a bat and knocking the living daylights out of them. In Dead Island, you can do that. You will have firearms in dead island- but they are very rare, and should be used sparingly, some people complained about this- and some people should really look into the game before buying something dont like, and giving it a low rating. But- to say the least, the combat system is perfect, the world is just GIGANTIC. There's so much to see and explore, it's ridiculous. You can even upgrade your weapons, and mod them- to make them your own. This game is really something special when it comes to the weapons, to say the least, you wont be disappointed in the gameplay department.

Sound- 9

This game wins in the sound department, everything from the zombie sounds is very well executed. At times- I was actually listening for the zombies, and the game managed to scare me with the sounds a few times. Well done Techland.

Enjoyment. 8.5
    I'd have to say, you're going to have a blast, just trust me. Coop is really fun.

Overall- 9
    This game is very well done, it's different than the RPGs we see these days, and should be enjoyable for most.
  68. Sep 17, 2011
    Great game. It's fun to kill zombies by baseball. Espiecially Co-OP. LOVE IT:)

crafting and character customization system. Do you love zombies? Exploration? character advancement? item collections? co-op? then dead Island is a no brain-er. The only reason this game doesn't get a ten is due to a slightly bugged user interface that should be fixed this week with a patch. I would like to add that Dead Island on a high end pc is the ultimate zombie killing experience. This version has no texture loading issues, great control and much better graphics over all. Expand
  69. Sep 18, 2011
    just to get one thing straight i DONT give high or low scores to balance out others(which is stupid) so when i say 9 i mean 9. This game started out with a lot of bugs but they have been working hard and fix the major ones. as far as the game goes it was very well done but where it really shines is the co-op. the co-op is not only fun but was done very well, when you have others with you there are sightly more special zombies and my favorite is the loot scales. so if you are a higher level and you are helping your lower level friend you can still get useful stuff for you! Overall its a fun game with good combat, rpg, and co-op. Expand
  70. Sep 18, 2011
    Dead Island is one of the best games this year it is unique and has tons of replay value i find it satisfying to chop off a zombies head legs arms and going into a blood rage and killing zombies in bloody gory fashion if you like RPG's Zombie Apocalypse's you will love this game the only problem is pop in and that's not even a big deal i suggest you pick up this game as soon as you can
  71. Sep 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best zombie game I have played in a long time. The rpg elements are great, the co-op is a welcome bonus, and the combat, very cool how you can sever limbs and break bones. I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes rpg and/or zombie games. Expand
  72. Sep 20, 2011
    Dead Island is one of the most entertaining cooperative experience that i ever played, because even if it was a little buggy, it managed to have a funny gameplay, awesome graphics and a lot of guns.

The character need to slay zombies with all of your crazy weapons and other stuff to earn experience for leveling up. Also it manages an amazing skill system that contain amazing upgrades to
    your character or your arsenal.

The story was solid, with a lot of drama and it have amazing creative main quests and unique side quests that gives the game a sense of great entertaining.

Dead Island may have some bad things like the shipload of bugs or graphic problems, but it still being one of the best action, horror, zombie slashing games that i ever purchased in my entire life.
  73. Sep 22, 2011
    Nice Game, blood everywhere. Xp, and evolution tree for characters, nice... physical combat is intuitive and really fun, weapon mods and upgrades gives a new taste to games like that, for me is a left4dead mixed with fallout and borderlands all together. if you like one of this games, go ahead for Dead Island.

++++ recommended.
  74. Sep 25, 2011
    I want to start this off by saying Dead Island is an amazing game. Somehow it was put on for public execution when it had a rough release. I also want to add -- I had no problems technically with this game!! The bugs everyone complained about - for the last 3 weeks of playing this game I have only encountered one (1) bug and I can't even remember what it was. Also many games have the same troubles when they launch. I think its ridiculous that Dead Island should be scourged for it and every other game skids by with no comment on its launching problems...

ANYWAYS!

From the get-go you start off alone, and in the middle of a mysterious zombie outbreak. The ambiance and environment your set it does a great job of unsettling you. Walking through a deserted hotel with nothing but the sounds of zombies groaning in the background takes me back to the good old scary experiences i had when i first loaded up Resident Evil 2 and felt like i was trapped in a horrifying city of zombies. Dead Island does a great job of selling the scene.

The graphics are outstanding. Ive seen some other reviewers/critics dis the graphics and call them rough and low resolution and I have to question which rig they were using. Because Dead Island is on par with games like Crysis 2, better graphics than COD:Black Ops, and also on par with BFBC2. But I must say they are used much differently. Lighting plays a big factor. The sun will break through the leaves on palm trees. Debris will float through the air. Lots of detail has been put into the game graphics wise. Those who are downing the graphics either need a better computer, or need their eyes checked. The graphics are just fine and look great set on High Settings.

Sound wise the game is decked out with the oh-so appropriate tension music. Background noises of zombies groaning, screaming, gunshots very rarely firing off. Its what you would imagine it would sound like. Unfortunately it does suffer from -some- poor voice acting. Gameplay. Its zombie survival meets RPG. You are forced to find many makeshift melee weapons as overtime these weapons will break and become useless to you. In the beginning of the game this is most noticed as most of the weapons you start with are just like the crappy dropped weapons you find at level 1 in Diablo II. But as you make your way through the game, pop open some weapons crates and find crafting recipes via sidequests you go from using a cracked boat oar to using a baseball bat with a motorized circular saw on the top of it. Your given the option of repairing, upgrading and crafting your weapons. NPCs in the game will also sell/buy any items weapons.

Weapons can also be thrown for extra damage. This is important strategy as sometimes you will face superior infected zombies that are not phased as easily. But throwing a heavy crowbar to the face will knock them down in their tracks so you can more easily engage the NEXT zombie currently charging at you. A simple kick action is also added to your arsenal for knocking zombies back providing you more space to work. its best worked to kick 1 or 2 down at a time to work on a 3rd opponent more easily. To go with the RPG side you can upgrade your skills to make your kicks more deadly or even crush the skull of a fallen zombie for an instant kill. Easily preserving your melee weapons so they don't suffer wear and tear as quickly.

Guns in game are rare, and so is ammunition. Best saved when you will end up fighting non-zombie looters who are taking advantage of the Dead Island. But do some in handy against a horde of zombies when you are injured and outnumbered. Much like all zombie games there are special types of zombies. Yes they are similar to the ones in Left 4 Dead. But i wouldn't call it a total rip off. I think there's just a general of idea of zombie scenarios that works and both L4D and DI have adopted the idea as the best one. That said, it doesn't take away from the game. They are all placed perfectly to challenge you. One zombie by itself is hard to kill. A special infected in a horde will cause you to consider your weapons, environment, and a backup plan and escape route. Your enemies are very effective at making you question your situation.

RPG gameplay is set to standard. Kill zombies = exp. Quests = exp. Exp = skill points for talent trees and extra life. To save my text limit I'll simply say the RPG system is perfect. The storyline is more based around the mystery of the outbreak and trying to survive. Hidden recordings tell a haunting story of a reporter investigating the island and beg to be found to know what happens next. simply awesome.

Multiplayer allows for an awesome drop-in/drop-out experience. Using either a lobby or simply picking up other users near the same part of the game as you. Very effective.

In short conclusion. Do NOT believe the trigger happy critics. Dead Island is an awesome survival horror RPG with solid multi-player. 9/10.
  75. Sep 28, 2011
    This is one of the better games I've ever played. I'm typically a FPS mouse/keyboard gamer, but this one is perfection using a XBox360 controller on a 50" TV on a high-end system. I have played it since a week after release, and have had nearly zero issues. I did have to turn on vsync to keep the tearing down, and it now runs silky smooth. I really enjoy the open world feel, and is a welcome change from linear shooters. Brilliant game! Yes some people may have issues but I have had none. I honestly have no clue how anyone can claim this game appears rushed, as it has meticulous details throughout. I am burning untold hours on this game. It definitely has playthrough value! Expand
  76. Dec 25, 2012
    Ive only played the shooter chick and found the game rewarding. The best part of the game for me is the death animations of the enemies. I played a lot of Left 4 Dead 2 censored and still enjoyed it and looking back now and I wonder what I missed out on now that I'm enjoying Dead Island with all its gore enabled.

The monsters are okay, there are special infected but when you learn the
    type of elemental attack each one doesn't like you can dispatch them pretty quickly. Monster standing in water = electrical attack, and so on.

One of the odd things that strike me about DI is the scaling of character levels. What I mean is how monsters scale with you to the point that leveling up almost seems pointless. You don't seem to get a great deal more powerful because of this, in fact if weren't for a few entertaining skills and items it would be completely pointless. This for me is a drawback but not a game killer. I like to feel that I'm getting more powerful and I thought this game could have done a better job at that.

There are 4 Acts to this game which really need to be explored and largely can be while performing many and I mean a **** tonne of the games side quests. I can see the side quests being the largest negative for many people as they are almost all fetch quest which gets very tiresome. But the maps are very well done which I really enjoyed exploring and its worth playing thru to at least the jungle (Act 3) just to see what I mean.

One of the big positive for me in this game has to be the itemization. I love good itemization and I think this one has it. There isn't any real reason to care about the quality (exceptional item) of an item rather the prefix to its name is what really matters. The crafting system called mods is pretty cool and keeps me looking for more items to tinker with. Crafted items have some pretty nifty death animations too which has been, well alright I guess. I just enjoy getting those criticals rolling out in succession and watching the **** burn. xD

*spoiler* And that's pretty much it except to say there is a final boss battle and its pure lame crap. Its some dude that's a kind of cross between 2 special monsters, whoop diddy do and I thought the story sucked but I've always preferred good characters to stories anyhow which this game is also short on.
  77. bag
    Sep 29, 2011
    I found the gameplay extremely addictive and impressed with how large the world was. You will stumble across glitches every now and then, and I felt the online interaction with players could have been improved, but overall its a great game.
  78. Oct 6, 2011
    Probably the best zombie game to date, with added RPG elements and online play, whats not to love. The first instance you find yourself with another player is when the comedy kicks in, theres hours of fun to be had in groups and even the solo play is rewarding. DLC's to be expected and can only make this title even greater. Recommended
  79. Oct 8, 2011
    A fantastically enjoyable romp through a zombie-infested island. This game is incredibly fun alone, and with others, everything just clicks. Melee combat is implemented well and surprisingly, gun combat is even more fun. Probably the goriest game today - every model has a full three layers: bone, muscles, and flesh. There is no present story, but agree with me when I say this - when you want to get a zombie survival game, what will you expect to be DOING? Surviving! The lack of story does not bother me. The environments are beautiful, and so are the models. However, there are only two cons I can think of.

1: All characters have botox faces and are not well-animated. (better than common characters used in Deus Ex: Revolution though)

2: There is no excuse as to why your mouse has to be permanently at a very slow speed when using a menu or the inventory.
  80. Oct 9, 2011
    For me the best RPG in a long time. Love the setting - horror survival with pleasant environment. Zombies, first person hand-to-hand combat, weapon upgrades, contemporary settings. Quests feel natural and fitting, and are well located, no need to travel around over extensively. The graphics on the PC (GTX 560) is insane. If the graphics development stopped here I'd be fine with that :). It has the right mix of everything, kept me hooked up till the end which rarely happens even with AAA game. Yeah, it has bugs, but every new game does, don't care as long as they fix quickly. Will remember for a long time. In fact, I WANT DLC or part 2. PLEAAAASEE!!! :) Expand
  81. Mar 21, 2012
    I saw for first this game from a trailer where a little girl was dead on the floor and then went all backwords from the beggining where the family took a photograph which caught my attencion. I absolutly love this game, really, it just has fabulous graphics with such a great gameplay. The story is awesome where we can enjoy great enviroments with a great variety of weapons and character customization. Also the co-op which can add to 4 players adds the fun part of this game. I cant spot a single negative thing despite some soft bugs which is irrelevant. I recommend everyone to try this game, its really fun and entertaining and if you like zombies or watched Walking Dead then this is your game. Also the Ryder White DLC adds those missing pieces of the puzzle. Expand
  82. Oct 27, 2011
    Didn't really expect Dead Island to be a good game, as I had weird experience with other games of techland, which were in my opinion not really good, but, since most of my friends played it, I thought, hell, why not to try it out too? After 25 hours of game play I can say, that this game worth 8/10, if you like open world, cooperation, RPG elements (perks & so on) you must buy it too
  83. Oct 31, 2011
    Dead Island is awesome. I have 147 hours played so far. I even bought this game for my college friend who couldn't afford it so we could play the game co-op. Sure it has a few bugs, most were patched. There might be a few things that are slightly annoying at first, like the durability on items but as the game progresses it isn't as bothersome. My biggest complaint might be that it seems like they are trying to hide what they are patching on steam. There are no patch notes after i download patches, i do not understand why. The major thing people are complaining about this game is the bugs and when they patch it they don't release patch notes. Expand
  84. Nov 2, 2011
    after i saw everything i have to change my first review.
    now the worst bugs are patched, some still remain untouched.
    but, even with some bugs, (dissapearing weapons, texture failures,...) this is a great game.

the gaming world is very large, you have a lot of enemies to fight, especially after the 2nd chapter. the missions are okay, the story and the ending look like there will be a
    sequel.
    the sound effects are nice, the graphics very detailed.- especially the water, the enemies and the nature. sadly the gaphics are missing some reflections, but probably on purpose to make the game playable, even on slower systems.

if you dont feel like doing missions, you can just walk arround hours over hours, kill tons of zombies, with help of many different (craftable) weapons.

you can play the campain alone or with 3 friends in coop, really alot of fun.

50â
  85. Oct 27, 2013
    I adore Dead Island, It might be a little on the clunky side but basically what you have here is a Bethesda style game which has optional multiplayer where you beat the crap out of zombies with baseball bats that have nails in...
  86. Nov 10, 2011
    Sandbox environment is always a plus, and Dead Island doesnt disappoint. The greatest feature is the coop that can be played with friends on your own game or their game. This is seriously the best use of co-op ive ever seen and a really hope many other games follow suit. The game can be fairly difficult at times and frustrating without a partner, but is definitely worth buying if you have a dedicated teammate that will play with you. Just falls short of perfect, but is a very enjoyable RPG. Expand
  87. Nov 10, 2011
    Its a great game if you want open world RPG action with zombie killing and weapon costumisation you got it.Sure there are a few bugs and that but nothing game breaking.Buy it you wont regret it.
  88. Jan 6, 2012
    Well I first got this game in September 2011 shortly after it was released and played if for about 10 hours. I then left it and came back to it at the beginning of 2012 and then saw what an amazing game it was...addictive...emotional...amazing. I really can't explain how real it feels to be in Banoi, the city. You really do feel like you are there and it really is the end of the world.
    I
    can't stop playing it now and I can guarantee you will feel the emotional side of this game by the end.
    All I can say is buy it now! You don't know what you're missing.
  89. Mar 28, 2013
    Dead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thing about the game is the sense of wonder and amazement as you walk around a high-detailed island. Attention to detail is everywhere and it genuinely gives the player a sense of realism and the integrity of the world and it’s inhabitants.

In the game there are lots of weapons to use from Axes to Metal Pipes to Brass Knuckles and more. In fact there’s a larger emphasis on melee weapons than guns. There’s also a lot of scavenging, along with repairing and upgrading weapons.

There are a variety of zombies from slow ones, to fast ones and a few boss ones here and there. The quests are varied and the backstory is well written. Combat is solid and feels enjoyable, particularly when swinging a heavy object or using a bladed weapon.

You can learn a variety of new skills, the different ones vary with characters, including regenerative health and a ‘fury mode’ which is charged by killing zombies.

In the standard game, you will be using melee weapons for the majority of the time, but the DLC Ryder White’s Campaign does grant the player much more in terms of gunplay. Overall this is a great game and definitely worth it’s price.
  90. Nov 15, 2011
    the best zombie game out there thus far. it still needs allot of work in the animation department. as well as emotion. but its overall fun if i had to summarize it, i would say Fallout 3 meets Zombie Apocalypse. there was one thing i wish they had added it would have to of been the removal of the skill tree and implementing a learn as you go system based on how you playl. example if you favor guns. then well the more you use it the better you get at it, the same would go for melee combat. oh and giving the option to play your own custom character. Expand
  91. Jan 4, 2012
    Very good polish action/RPG/FPP/survival horror game, that presents a new approach to zombie topic. Combining zombies and tropic island theme (which are contrasting with each other) was very good idea. PROS: * very nice graphic * RPG elements * fight system * weapon crafting and modding * good plot * open world * great game-play CONS: * lots of bugs on release day * flat main characters
    * driving a car is difficult as hell
    * game saving system
    * and again: lots of bugs!
  92. Jul 26, 2012
    Overall a fun experience, especially multiplayer despite a dodgy progression system. Only thing i disliked was the terrible voice acting and accents other than Sam B.
  93. Nov 21, 2011
    Gameplay: 9 - Amazing. 1st-person melee combat has never been better in any other game. Dead Island allows you to slice and break individual limbs of your undead foes. Different strategies are required for different enemy types. Thugs need their arms broken, and suiciders are best taken out from a distance. The only thing dragging this game down at all are the bugs (of which there are many).
    Story: 8 - Great. Cookie-cutter zombie story with a twist: You're on a Resort Island.
    Graphics: 9 - Amazing. Banoi is beautiful. The environments are breathtaking. Enemies vary in appearance. Only people look strange. Faces seem unemotional, and many of the citizens of Banoi look aged when looking at their face, yet young when looking at their body.
    Sound: 9 - Amazing. Creepy music is accentuated by terrifying zombie screams!
    Overall: 9 - Amazing.
  94. Nov 26, 2011
    OK first of this game is fantastic!!! dont read to much into the bad ones as most have no credit as they dont understand the game!!!! YES this is this is pretty much the same as borderlands as as much as theres a bloke to buy stuff from, missions an its a game!!!! Other gripes is its open mic!!!!! its supposed to be!!! this is a online game ya all hear each other within your location!!! its ace!!! once ya tag on to someone (or others) the game blocks out everyone else (well thats how i found it). the graphics are ace the sound too!!! fun is over the top an value is i got what i paid for A GOOD TIME!!!! good thing about killing the undead is unlike most games a single hit is never gonna put them down !!!........ more like a good few kicks to the head an a few swipes across the neck with a ..........whatever is sharp an looks NASTY!!!!!! the open end is ace an if ya dont wanna join an help someone just do it alone ...........an die!!! lol. As far as zombie games go it by far on par with left 4 dead 2 an adds a very much added PLUS to it as far as open worlded, not bang bang ya dead an a real survival BLAST!!!!! i give it a 9 should be a 10 but im waiting for someone to better it! :) Expand
  95. Dec 24, 2011
    The low scores on here made me laugh!!....anyways this has to be one of the best zombie games out here at the moment, ignore the **** in other reviews the game runs perfectly fine, nice and smooth, amazing graphics and storyline, very addictive to play through in single player and then theres the co-op!
  96. Dec 26, 2011
    Wow, where to begin, a simply amazing game that is a MUST get for zombie lovers, the sheer horror you experience when you see the undead feasting as you wander the streets of dead island, with flimsy weapons and a small cardio tank, you will always be on edge while playing this game whether you are running from a horde of infected or battling against a swarm of walkers, this game capatilizes and delivers on everything i expected and more. There is no loading screens between you and the zombies i must add (such as dead rising) as soon as you open the door to the outside world the zombies are there and ready, this game is the definition of the survival horror genre, and even if you are not a zombie lover you will still enjoy this game, a must buy. Expand
  97. Dec 27, 2011
    I am really enjoying it, and my friend and Sons are having a blast. At first, I thought it was another Left4Dead type game. Boy, I was wrong. It turned out to be an RPG, with questing, leveling, skill points and a HUGE and I mean HUGE world. Even your weapons degrade over time and it shows on the weapon.

I know it had a bad start, but through the patches and tweaks, it is starting to
    shine. People are working on MODS for it too. There is even a tool you can download from steam to help tweak the performance!

Last night I played with my Sons, cooperative. When you do, they match the zombies to your level! I am level 13 and my Sons are level 5 and the same zombie we were bashing, matched our level. Online playing is still a little buggy and you may experience some lock ups. Single player runs smooth.

This game is definitely not for the squeamish. Arms go flying, heads crack open and blood gushes everywhere. They use every 4 letter word in there also, so beware.
  98. Dec 30, 2011
    Zombie mashing at it's best. If you like zombies, this game delivers. The combat is exciting and multiplayer makes it even more entertaining. I've got nothing bad to say about this game.
  99. Jan 5, 2012
    This is simply the maximum that people who loves zombies wants. Bugs, glitches and no clips were fixed, graphic is not like a film, but like REAL. Game-play is higher to others for fighting and moving liberty. The sound is so perfect...nothing to say. In the other games, the zombies are only animated forms, but in Dead Island the zombies have bones, muscles, tendons, skin...you can cut some parts or break some bone, or smash the ribs and you can see inside. If you love zombies this is the game for you. If you love to buy games, you MUST buy this! Expand
  100. Jan 12, 2012
    This is one of those games you need to grab 3 friends and sit back and enjoy the ride! Played right through loving every bit of it, because even if a couple of parts are boring your mates come to the rescue and brighten it up! The gore is beautiful, some scenes are so nice they actually made me stop just to take a good look. So many people would of played this solo or with randoms and I feel they're just missing out on what could of been an awesome experience. I can tell I'll be picking this up again after a while :) 10/10. Expand
  101. BMF
    Sep 9, 2011

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.