Dead Island PC

6.9

1. Sep 8, 2011
    Immersed on a zombie island in a more realistic approach. While having to repair my weapons on a regular basis may get monotonous it pushes me to be more selective and focus my skills in an intelligent way. Those who are sipping "hate-orade" on this game need to lighten up. It's got a great setting, good looking gameplay, and very fun. It's worth the purchase.
  2. BMF
    Sep 9, 2011
    I have been having loads of fun since Dead Islands shakey launch techland takes zombie smashing to a whole new level with a epic damage system and RPG goodness all coverd in a nice FPS wrapper. The shipped steam version was origanaly a buggy dev copy of the game but was quickly patched. Any launch bugs will be forgiven the first time you smack a zombie with a blunt object and his arm boneI have been having loads of fun since Dead Islands shakey launch techland takes zombie smashing to a whole new level with a epic damage system and RPG goodness all coverd in a nice FPS wrapper. The shipped steam version was origanaly a buggy dev copy of the game but was quickly patched. Any launch bugs will be forgiven the first time you smack a zombie with a blunt object and his arm bone breaks and juts out of his arm in slow motion then if you want to realy over do it break their other arm and kick them over and laugh while they squirm and try to prop themselfs up with their usless limbs. Slashing weapons are just as visceral opening huge gashes and lopping heads arms and legs alike. Dead Island was built for 1 to 4 players. Difficulty seamlessly scales to your specific number of players and level so the action stays ballanced. Overall if you like killing zombies and you like RPGs and shooters this is your game 9/10 for a shakey launch and bugs. Expand
  3. Nov 7, 2011
    After seeing all the negative reviews I had to put in my two cents. I think this game is fabulous! Dead Island is what I wanted l4d to be. I think what really makes this game work is the close hand to hand combat. When a horde of dead are chasing you down, you can't just turn around and shoot them with your machine gun. (at least at the beginning of the game) You actually have toAfter seeing all the negative reviews I had to put in my two cents. I think this game is fabulous! Dead Island is what I wanted l4d to be. I think what really makes this game work is the close hand to hand combat. When a horde of dead are chasing you down, you can't just turn around and shoot them with your machine gun. (at least at the beginning of the game) You actually have to face them at close range and crack each and everyone of them over the head with a bat. it really gets the adrenaline going! I find myself constantly looking around anytime I hear a zombie scream thinking they're going to chase me down around every corner. And do you ever get sick of bashing or slicing into a zombie? NO!

The other thing I love is the open world environment. I am a huge fan of Just Cause 2 and I get the same feeling in Dead Island to an extent. Being able to go where you want and do what you want is great. You don't get that linear feel like many fps games. Sure, the story isn't great but who gives a rats! Part of the fun is doing all the side quests. So what if Paco wants you to go and get a picture of his daughter and bring it back to him, or if Susan want's to know if her sister is dead or alive. Just Do It!
    (Plus you get cool stuff for completing the side quests.)

If you're on the fence about playing this game, don't be. Don't listen to all the negative reviews, they're just nit picking. Just play it and see for yourself.
  4. Apr 17, 2012
    Dead island is a fun game, but unfortunately the game is a console port, it works. It's a little bit buggy sometimes, I spawn like half way across the map and yeah... When this game first came out a week afterwards there was no push to talk key so you could hear everything on that persons mic which was stupid. But then Deep Silver grew a brain cell and thought oh! we should add it now! ButDead island is a fun game, but unfortunately the game is a console port, it works. It's a little bit buggy sometimes, I spawn like half way across the map and yeah... When this game first came out a week afterwards there was no push to talk key so you could hear everything on that persons mic which was stupid. But then Deep Silver grew a brain cell and thought oh! we should add it now! But there is no anti-aliasing which makes the game look terrible. The bloom is a bit over done, and there needs to be more options. Such as POV and shadows (not that I had a problem with pov) but some people did. It really is a shame they rushed this because it could had been a much better game. I love the beach map, it makes me feel like I'm there. The quests are ok, get this, come back, do this, come back etc. It's good fun. But this game could had been better. Expand
  5. Dec 24, 2011
    Dead Island is a great game and a very strong Co-OP Game i played,graphics are good,but the story is kinda weak.And from what earlier release of dead island, just consider a bug-fest game.
  6. Sep 11, 2011
    After playing through the whole campaign it's hard not to ignore some of the glaring console port flaws, lack of polish and obvious missed opportunities to make the game so much better. But even so it's still a great game, there hasn't been a zombie survival game like this for a long time that actually creates an environment that can creep you out and scare you a little. The areas areAfter playing through the whole campaign it's hard not to ignore some of the glaring console port flaws, lack of polish and obvious missed opportunities to make the game so much better. But even so it's still a great game, there hasn't been a zombie survival game like this for a long time that actually creates an environment that can creep you out and scare you a little. The areas are well designed, very detailed and fun to explore. The melee combat feels "right" and while firearms take a backseat until late in the game they are fun to use too. It's also a great looking and extremely well performing game if you have the ability to do a few configuration file changes. The co-op mode works great after a few launch jitters, i've never had any crash or even any type of technical hiccup while playing co-op for hours on end. Anyone that enjoys zombie games should check this one out. Expand
  7. Oct 5, 2011
    What happened to PC games? At some point along the line did the developers lose their way? Did they all get together and just make games for the console and then port them to the PC without bringing along any of the options that PC gamers have been used to for decades? Dead Island was released initially on PC extremely buggy, which shows how much time and effort these companies spend onWhat happened to PC games? At some point along the line did the developers lose their way? Did they all get together and just make games for the console and then port them to the PC without bringing along any of the options that PC gamers have been used to for decades? Dead Island was released initially on PC extremely buggy, which shows how much time and effort these companies spend on the PC version of recent shooters. In particular itâ Expand
  8. Dec 26, 2012
    Un jeu un peut difficile à comprendre au début, mais après quelque mission on assimile le fonctionnement et le jeu devient très intéressant. Assez long niveau durée de jeu, seul bémol pour moi c'est le multi qui s'active automatiquement et je suis plutôt un joueur solo. Sinon cela reste un bon jeu et sans problème en tout casUn jeu un peut difficile à comprendre au début, mais après quelque mission on assimile le fonctionnement et le jeu devient très intéressant. Assez long niveau durée de jeu, seul bémol pour moi c'est le multi qui s'active automatiquement et je suis plutôt un joueur solo. Sinon cela reste un bon jeu et sans problème en tout cas sous Steam, pas de bug. Expand
  9. gas
    Aug 6, 2012
    Bought during Steam summer sales, so quite nice price, im not very disappointed, the game is playable, its overall well made, the concept is good, at least as idea. The main issue in my opinion is that the game is boring and most of the situations are completely stupid.
    Its a sandbox game like fallout 3 or skyrim, but it lacks story, interesting zones, interesting enemies, character developing, weapons, sense of progression.. basically it lacks everything except zombies.
    Quests are not interesting and usually it seems they are written randomly by someone who never played a game in his life.
    Character development is very streamlined and poor, also the game lacks really common sense, as in example you save an NPC and carry him into the safe zone, then he starts to sell weapons to you, like he could import weapons on a zombie island or even if in case of a zombie apocalypse ppl still use money to buy stuff each other to fight them... A good concept ruined by really stupid developer choices.
  10. Apr 14, 2012
    A game that could so desperately be so beautiful, but fails at so many turns. The trailer that got everyone talking was the teaser trailer containing a slow motion emotional trailer, of a family stuck on an island in a hotel, infested with zombies. This emotional trailer suggested that the game could be about the back story to these people, and how there lives met such a tragic end.A game that could so desperately be so beautiful, but fails at so many turns. The trailer that got everyone talking was the teaser trailer containing a slow motion emotional trailer, of a family stuck on an island in a hotel, infested with zombies. This emotional trailer suggested that the game could be about the back story to these people, and how there lives met such a tragic end. However, the characters in the main game itself have absolutely nothing to do with the actual game, the game opens with a mediocre rap song about zombies, before you are introduced to the shallow and stereotypical characters in the game. The combat is slow and slightly dodgy, and "The Infected" run at you so fast, unless you can kick like a donkey you are screwed. This game is Left For Dead, meets Borderlands, except a version where everything went wrong. It tried to be original but ended up being a shallow and unimaginative game that leaves you unsatisfied. Don't even get me started on the weapon combat system either. There are so many problems that the only thing that I enjoyed, are the beautiful graphics, and driving around the island running over zombies. Don't play it on your own, it's pointless, having a friend makes all the difference in the world. Over all a bland game that did not seem worth splashing out money for. Expand
  11. Sep 18, 2011
    An original game, which is something we've been lacking for the past few years. It is not like Left 4 Dead so don't go in expecting that. It's more like Fallout 3 mixed with Farcry 2 (but without being **** like Farcry 2). The combat system is not like anything I've seen before and it works really well, most of the weapons are melee and guns/ammo are scarce (as they would be in thisAn original game, which is something we've been lacking for the past few years. It is not like Left 4 Dead so don't go in expecting that. It's more like Fallout 3 mixed with Farcry 2 (but without being **** like Farcry 2). The combat system is not like anything I've seen before and it works really well, most of the weapons are melee and guns/ammo are scarce (as they would be in this situation). Multiplayer is persistant and feels kinda like an MMO. If someone is in your area, you can join them if you wish, no loading screens or anything, your games will be instantly joined and it becomes co-op. I gave it a 7 because it's to buggy in places at the moment, performance bugs especially. Expand
  12. Sep 9, 2011
    Good idea, poorly implemented. Graphics are not that great for a Pc title. There are SO many bugs/crashes its not funny. This is a poor console port, the UI and inventory may work on the xbox, but its very poor on the PC. This could have been so much more than the mess it is.
  13. Nov 26, 2011
    First off, full system disclosure: I have an i7-2600, 8GB RAM, Win7-64, Creative SB X-Fi Titanium and GTX-580 with 1.5GB VRAM. One would think that this should suffice to play this game as the recommended system requirements are Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Win7, GeForce 9600 with 1 GB VRAM. However, the game stutters all the time even when I change the graphic settings to the "MaximumFirst off, full system disclosure: I have an i7-2600, 8GB RAM, Win7-64, Creative SB X-Fi Titanium and GTX-580 with 1.5GB VRAM. One would think that this should suffice to play this game as the recommended system requirements are Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Win7, GeForce 9600 with 1 GB VRAM. However, the game stutters all the time even when I change the graphic settings to the "Maximum Performance" preset. I had to install a third-party helper (i.e., EXE file) to tweak the graphic settings in order to make the game stutter-free. This was not a successful port to PC as the code was not optimized for PC and the graphics look dated (circa 2007). The good news is that the gameplay can be fun at times. A word to the wise: don't pay more than 20 bucks for this game: at the current state, it's just not worth it Expand
  14. Oct 8, 2011
    Whilst the idea of the game itslef is good. The exexcution once more was rather average. Innumerable glitches dragged this game down. Let alone the fact that at the very last stage of the game, whilst fighting the boss, the game decides to crap itself making it unplayable, whilst only using up half of my processor and ram power..

Really wish people would put time into making a smooth

Really wish people would put time into making a smooth engine and fix the hundreds of bugs glitches in the game, it is so annoying. Over all the game starts of great, but finishes in a disgraceful manner.
  15. Feb 26, 2013
    The game suffers from severe bad design. The levels are not laid out in any sort of logical manner, instead more resembling what a real-world location would look like this sounds great until you realize that real world locations are designed for usability, while a level is designed to be a challenge. The net result? Confusing level design where stuff is just lying around randomly.

The

The controls are poor, the game is slow-paced, the size of the areas makes completing quests a pain... the list goes on.

The sad thing is, I didn't like Borderlands that much, but this is way worse than Borderlands Borderlands at least had logical level design and somewhat interesting monsters.
  16. Sep 19, 2011
    a brilliant zombie game, which deals with the survival of an apocalypse, not the slaughter of the undead. while combat can be a tad tricky, keeping an eye on different things "stamina, health, enemy health, weapon condition) it is rewarding every time you take down an enemy, and while nearly all missions are collect X and come back, they are very varied.
    as for the variety of weapons, they
    as for the variety of weapons, they all have their pros and cons, and it can be tricky to find out what is better at what.
    while it did suffer with the first week (steam release) problems those were, and still are being overcome, (but some are still a bit prominent (my biggest gripe is the inability to launch the game with no internet connection)) i feel confident that techland will see these bug fixes through, and i await a dead island 2
  17. Sep 7, 2011
    Dead Island,.. A big WOOOW. The game is beautiful, awesome storyline, stunning voiceacting, hilarious killing mechanism.
    If you are one of those who likes zombies, and want to kill them like in Dead Rising, then this game is definitely for you. Deep Silver did an awesome job giving us a great opportunity to live the game environment like if we were the character and it allows to play with friend in co-op which is the key of the game success!!
    This is one of the most expected games of this year (2011) and i'm enjoying every moment of it.
    This game is worth every penny spend buying the game. Buy it and play with your friends!!
    I'm promising you something, it will be one of your best experience when playing with your friend in co-op.
  18. Sep 10, 2011
    The idiot children here giving the game a negative rep bomb are all basing their ratings on the fact the game launched on PC with an incorrect version and a few bugs, ALL OF WHICH have been fixed and sorted out now. Do not take the word of a bunch of 13 year old crybabies with cheap computers that fail to run this game. If you like Borderlands-style gameplay, and really visceral goryThe idiot children here giving the game a negative rep bomb are all basing their ratings on the fact the game launched on PC with an incorrect version and a few bugs, ALL OF WHICH have been fixed and sorted out now. Do not take the word of a bunch of 13 year old crybabies with cheap computers that fail to run this game. If you like Borderlands-style gameplay, and really visceral gory zombie melee, and an incredibly rewarding game to play with friends this really can't be beat. Do not listen to all of these retards. Expand
  19. Sep 7, 2011
    Okay i think everybody here was excited after the Trailer for this game.
    A Zombie game on an huge island with skilltrees, great atmosphere and a good story.
    But what we got is a broken pice of software released on Pc and consoles. First thing you realize : Bad graphics 5! years development for this? Just a bad joke Then the really awefull controls taking every fun out of this game when you
    Okay i think everybody here was excited after the Trailer for this game.
    But what we got is a broken pice of software released on Pc and consoles.
    First thing you realize : Bad graphics
    5! years development for this? Just a bad joke
    Then the really awefull controls taking every fun out of this game when you try to move.
    The next thing on the list is the fact you cant make your own character?Its 2011 guys, i dont wanna be a woman in a game about killing zombies on a island when i pick up a person who is skilled with firearms.
    And the 2 worst points at all: The savingsystem AND the bugs.
    You cant save your game whenever you want, if you die ( and its annoying i died several times because of bugs) you must start the level all over again.

Dont buy this game, just dont.
  20. Sep 10, 2011
    I really wanted Dead Island to be a good game, but I had my doubts. I was very pumped after that infamous first trailer, but my faith in the game went down from there. It is hard to screw up an open-world zombie game - and Deep Silver almost did. Luckily, Dead Island turned out to be an addictive and well-rounded RPG. I can tell that this game will be a strong guilty pleasure of mine forI really wanted Dead Island to be a good game, but I had my doubts. I was very pumped after that infamous first trailer, but my faith in the game went down from there. It is hard to screw up an open-world zombie game - and Deep Silver almost did. Luckily, Dead Island turned out to be an addictive and well-rounded RPG. I can tell that this game will be a strong guilty pleasure of mine for months to come. Expand
  21. Aug 25, 2012
    cut a long story short: this game has a lot of potential but ultimately it falls flat on it's zombie nose. the mission system is broken. soemtimes the map marker does not work so you do not know what do to next and have to to do the ENTIRE MISSION all over again. this is completely unacceptable in a 2011 release. moreover the inventory system sucks so hard and was so obviously designed forcut a long story short: this game has a lot of potential but ultimately it falls flat on it's zombie nose. the mission system is broken. soemtimes the map marker does not work so you do not know what do to next and have to to do the ENTIRE MISSION all over again. this is completely unacceptable in a 2011 release. moreover the inventory system sucks so hard and was so obviously designed for consoles instead of a PC. last but not least the story doesn' go anywhere (well at least not after having played for 7 hours!) Expand
  22. Sep 7, 2011
    not a 10; game is an 8.5 but i just wanted to counter-act all the tweens raging about release issues. honestly its sad seeing the troll rage on the steam forums for the most trivial reasons only 12 hours after release. this is just one strong example of how metacritic userscores fail
  23. ave
    Dec 24, 2015
    First I'd like to say that I love B and Z movies, and like to play games where I have to survive a zombie apocalypse (or any kind of apocalypse, like Fallout, Metro or Stalker).

Dead Island seems to got it all, but many choices in the game ruined the experience for me in spite of its qualities. This game has major deal-breakers for me : - Zombies respawns (almost at the same

This game has major deal-breakers for me :

- Zombies respawns (almost at the same place). Not only it kills the fantasy of globally reducing the threat and leaving some places safer, but it becomes annoying after a while to cut through them again (and again...). I know it's a fairly common choice in games with leveling and role-play, but I just don't like it. I don't feel rewarded by money and loot. The better reward for me would have been : a simple "gone forever" zombie.

- Lack of direction in open world. Even with quest and flags, I found the navigation pretty confusing : I had to go back and forth between the quest page, the map page, and the radar icon just to figure out how far a mission goal was. Add to this the relative "openness" of the world and I got myself lost and confused too many times for my taste.

- Getting no assistance from the survivors. Except the introduction, most of the times I do the dirty work for all the survivors. The story tells me I'm immune, but considering the fact zombies are respawning, some brave assistance in the field would have been appreciated. If you add on top of this the fact some "missions" are self-centered (like "bring me champagne" from the russian girl) you just want them to die of their stupidity right here for not contributing to the greater effort.

Dead Island has also minor negatives aspects ;

- The way weapons are assigned on slots and selected by the mouse during play are counter-intuitive. Many time I found myself struggling with a simple equip action, or abandoning weapons for a moment just to switch one in my hand with one in my bag-pack.

- It takes a looong time before you can get firearms so you have to bash or slash your way through hundreds of zombies before you can start to choose between a close combat and a ranged weapon.

- The weapons become useless after a while due to leveling up and that bothers me. It's nice to have to manage your durability or ammunition resources, but it quickly turns to busywork at the workshop and number comparison. It's very common in RPGs, Some people like this, I just don't.

- The world is filled with luggages with mini loot. I don't find fun the fact of searching each one of these, but if I don't I might just run out of money to repair and upgrade a more efficient weapon.

I'm really sad the game didn't work out for me, because I enjoyed the idea of playing it.
  24. Sep 7, 2011
    First how anyone can review a title moments after it is released is beyond me. Did you idiots that gave it a low score even bother to try to play the game or read the forums to get help? There was a major problem with the initial download, and the devs are working on correcting that. That said, there ARE some bugs in the game, but isn't there bugs in all games on initial release? So myFirst how anyone can review a title moments after it is released is beyond me. Did you idiots that gave it a low score even bother to try to play the game or read the forums to get help? There was a major problem with the initial download, and the devs are working on correcting that. That said, there ARE some bugs in the game, but isn't there bugs in all games on initial release? So my review is about the single player experience (since my MP player wasn't working and I didn't care at the moment). This is review is about the game, not about me crying about how disappointing that a certain thing wasn't in the game that I expected. First I'll start with the pros: zombie head bashing. There is a lot of that. I love that. Open word: I can go where I want and kill zombies wherever I want. I like that. Plenty of weapons and health lying around. I like that, because I hate dying constantly. Good graphics (but nothing I haven't seen) I'm fine with that. Seems like there are plenty of missions (including side missions). I like that too! If I were to sum this up positively I'd have to say this is almost like fallout has met the zombie apocalypse with a pinch of left of 4 dead added for spice. So far I have been enjoying the single player experience and the game is very well made. There is a variety of zombies that get harder as you level up. I like the idea of being able to mod my weapons. Now for the cons. The money system is kind of odd, but it works for this game, because the devs give you plenty of it so you don't have to wait long to start modding your weapons and upgrading them. The voice acting at times is LOL funny. Some of missions are quite pointless and off the wall stuff (luck getting a grown woman her teddy bear because she can't sleep), but they add to the time you get to run around exploring and bashing in zombie heads. I've hit a few invisible walls along the way but was able to get around them. At release multilayer over the internet was pretty much unplayable (at the time of this review), but a patch has been promised so soon I will get to play along side friends. Overall this game is fun, entertaining, game play is well thought out and enjoyable. I've played for several hours and it looks like I've just barely scratched the surface. It is just uncalled for giving this game a 0 or 1 because they accidentally released a dev version of the game on launch day. Most of the people doing that are trolls that have not even played the game yet. My advice though is wait until a week after launch then buy it. All this mess will be sorted out by then and you will have fun playing this game. Expand
  25. Sep 7, 2011
    First off, I have to say, do not even pay attention to the low user scores, They are simply pissed off impatiant people, and their reviews have nothing to do with the game. yes an extremely buggy wrong version was released on steam, But it was patched within a single day, The game runs great now as far as i can tell. Now about the game, it is a free roam zombie rpg game that takes place onFirst off, I have to say, do not even pay attention to the low user scores, They are simply pissed off impatiant people, and their reviews have nothing to do with the game. yes an extremely buggy wrong version was released on steam, But it was patched within a single day, The game runs great now as far as i can tell. Now about the game, it is a free roam zombie rpg game that takes place on a tropical island, basically everything i like about video games in one. However, the thing i like the most about dead island, is definitely the combat, The gorey zombie killing in this game feels more realistic than any other game i have played, Just the ability to chop off different limbs and kill zombies with numerous different weapons makes it that much more fun. Do not get this game confused with L4D, you do not kill 40 zombies with 1 shotgun blast like that game, At the beggining of the game you may even be overwhelmed by 4 or 5 zombies. But it feels like you are actually killing things and not just playing some arcade game. 10/10 Expand
  26. Jun 2, 2012
    Incredibly buggy. The good art and fight idea are spoiled by the most braindead programming "abilities" of the industry. Where can you hire such incompetent "programmers"? Is it necessary to be drunk to write so bad software?.
    They must hire:
    - someone capable to understand mouse basics. Just the basics. - another programmer whose code doesn't delete your progress every week. - a good
    They must hire:
    - someone capable to understand mouse basics. Just the basics.
    - another programmer whose code doesn't delete your progress every week.
    - a good manager, to fire the responsibles of the disaster.
  27. Sep 10, 2011
    it s borderland with zombie, just the perfect co-op game to play with some friends and a cold beer !
    I love it !!
    Sure it's not story driven...but who care, sand boxe game with awesome gameplay and co-op ??
    one of the best game i played this year.
  28. Jul 23, 2012
    I got this game at launch and stumbled through it despite the bugs. Some friends bought it on steam sale recently so I thought I would have another go so we could play it together. New super PC with 12 core (hyperthreaded) intel etc. One of my friends has been unable to play it at all and despite all the many many fixes I tried I am unable to stop the graphics drivers on my machineI got this game at launch and stumbled through it despite the bugs. Some friends bought it on steam sale recently so I thought I would have another go so we could play it together. New super PC with 12 core (hyperthreaded) intel etc. One of my friends has been unable to play it at all and despite all the many many fixes I tried I am unable to stop the graphics drivers on my machine restarting every few minutes. The other guy has performance issues. I tried taking out all GPUs except one in this machine and it runs between 200-300 fps. Trying to lock it to the Vsynch of my monitor at 120fps makes no difference as it does nothing at all. I dont know how I got through it the first time. The gameplay itself is great but this is one of the worst console ports I ever saw. Competes with Rage for the worst all time ports. On the upside, it will run on anything if you can get past the really bad use of PC resources. A great game let down by terrible porting. With a worthy port this would of been one of the few good games to crossover. I am stunned that it seems to be in even worse shape than it was at launch when I first played it with people complaining of new bugs introduced along the way. What a shame. Unless your on an Xbox, dont bother. Expand
  29. Sep 18, 2011
    In a nutshell: It's entertaining, gory, and addictive.
    In a nutshell: It's entertaining, gory, and addictive.
    Aside from that, it's hit-and-miss. The story-line is (quite frankly) missing almost entirely. This isn't the first game to put you in a quarantined area with unexplained zombies, give you a weapon and say "go to town," but aside from gathering supplies, you're never really given a reason for having to move from survivor camp to camp. If the summary is true, and you're trying to find a missing wife, then I apparently wasn't paying attention at all during the introduction, because I have no idea what that's referencing. This game has many bugs, and they can be crippling. Running V1.2, some of the bugs I've encountered include:
    1) I occasionally have to toggle between full screen and windowed and back to re-enable the sprint feature, which is crippling (It took me awhile to figure out something was definitely amiss)
    2) I lost a very powerful weapon into thin air after I had just spent a couple thousand repairing and upgrading it, which isn't crippling, but just plain disappointing
    3) A horrible, HORRIBLE UI port from what was PLAINLY a console menu to the PC. The mouse is incredibly slow on the menus, everything has to be clicked on because the arrows are very clunky, and some options are simply grayed out for no reason (usually because you have to have an Xbox 360 controller plugged in)
    4) Weapons on your "quick select" menu tend to be replaced by whatever you pick up off the ground, with the most popular being alcohol. This tends to result in irritation if you notice it in time, or at the worst, you find yourself charging into a fight and then quickly downing a bottle of Jack instead of slashing a weapon. Definitely not a fun brawl.
    This game is still fun, and definitely worth a rent for its sandbox environment, collectibles, upgrade and deterioration systems, weapon modifications, and the intense firefights (when you face human enemies). The zombie slaying doesn't really get stale, but it does lessen in excitement from the beginning of the game. As of where I am right now, I have seen about 5 different classes of zombies, and each definitely had their own unique attacks and corresponding player strategies I needed to use. A good rent (assuming you stick with the PC version, Xbox version might be better).
  30. Nov 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The graphics are really nice. The way you finish off zombies is awesome for the first hour or two. For me, Dead Island was only playable when I had friends who I could quest with.

There isn't a sense of danger or dread that you really should feel in a zombie game. It's more action and gore than surviving. That's what really ruined the game for me. With zombie games I really want to feel like every encounter could be my last. I want to feel a sick tingling in my stomach every time I open a door or walk into an open area. Had Dead Island been about Aliens then the action would have been welcomed and understood, but the idea of you can't get infected so you have to save the survivors is a weak plot choice and a worthless use of enemies that could have been something much more.

Then there is the quests. A needless addition to this game. Why insert a mechanic into a game that hinders immersion and story? The quests are boring and will have you traversing the same places back and forth. Go here, get this and come back. Now go a bit further than the last time and get this and come back. Now go past the way you came and get this and come back. They've taken a mechanic that works great in MMO's and forced it into a pseudo-zombie action killathon.

All that being said, this is still a decent game. If you have a few friends who are willing to whittle a weekend away then I think you will find a certain enjoyment here. If, however, you want a genuine game that forces you to constantly learn and adapt then try something else.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.