Dead Island PC

6.9

1. Sep 11, 2011
    After they made the first few patches and fixed the accidental release of the in-house dev version all in all its not too bad. The Player Characters themselves have Wonky and Strange Animations, but the Zombies are well animated. The graphics are good, The choice of weapons is decent. Little disappointed at the fact that there were so few guns. I love the idea of limited ammo and shotsAfter they made the first few patches and fixed the accidental release of the in-house dev version all in all its not too bad. The Player Characters themselves have Wonky and Strange Animations, but the Zombies are well animated. The graphics are good, The choice of weapons is decent. Little disappointed at the fact that there were so few guns. I love the idea of limited ammo and shots count but there's very few choices in guns. It has a few glitches mostly graphical, it is annoying though that all the dialogue in the game is centered around Co-op along with the Cinematics. If your playing solo it can be somewhat annoying and confusing seeing the other characters even though they arent with you.
    I did enjoy the game though. Story was pretty lame and quests were down right appalling as if they were written by 9 year olds. One such quest, "Were starving here! We need more food, Go to the gas stations and pick us up two boxes of Juice!" .... Um.... Ok..... Relevancy 0 Strange 1. Anyways if you can overlook the strange quest flaws its a good game to play-thru and then maybe shelve or sell.
  2. Sep 6, 2011
    Alright let me just say first off that as of now this game is fantastic if you're one of the lucky ones it works well for but incredibly frustrating if you have the issues some other people have. Since there will be patches though, I'm only judging the core gameplay here because I'm sure it will improve as they fix it up. For me, this game has so much I've wanted in a zombie game where itAlright let me just say first off that as of now this game is fantastic if you're one of the lucky ones it works well for but incredibly frustrating if you have the issues some other people have. Since there will be patches though, I'm only judging the core gameplay here because I'm sure it will improve as they fix it up. For me, this game has so much I've wanted in a zombie game where it takes place in a large open world and supplies are realistically limited so that you really have to scavenge for supplies which encourages exploration. The combat in this game is a lot of fun and the gore from beating down zombies with blunt objects is incredibly satisfying and with the limb breaking it's also realistic. There's also a TON of sidequests and a lot of weapon mods to craft which will be taking up even more of your time. As far as graphics go, the island looks gorgeous and even with the bright sunny atmosphere, it managed to scare me many times with the infected screams and other ambiance. Only real flaws I've found with this game is that the coop seems rather broken as of now and the story and character development is subpar to say the least. I'd say this is a must buy AFTER it's patched up a bit. Expand
  3. Sep 6, 2011
    It seems that I was one of the lucky ones who managed to get his game running first try, was able to adjust the options to work perfectly on my computer and actually play it within 10 minutes (getting everything to the right balance). If you somehow become lucky to play this game, it feels like a cross between Left 4 Dead and Borderlands.
    Pros: - Fun concept - great combat
    Pros: - Fun concept - great combat - huge place to explore (good and bad to that) - Join others quickly

Cons: - Lame uploading on the dev's part - way to bright in some areas - iffy first few days - some classes unable to use full potential till later access to their weapons

Overall it seams like it's just a bit too early to judge the game. I have my faith in the devs to patch the issues that most people are having in less than a week.
  4. Sep 8, 2011
    A review about a game is a criticism about the game itself, bug may come and go, usually at a game launch like this there's ALWAYS bugs. User that provide a score based on the technical issues should be banned from posting anything. Dead Island has a really creative approach to the whole zombie culture, the melee fighting system is well developed, the way the weapons are used, the goreA review about a game is a criticism about the game itself, bug may come and go, usually at a game launch like this there's ALWAYS bugs. User that provide a score based on the technical issues should be banned from posting anything. Dead Island has a really creative approach to the whole zombie culture, the melee fighting system is well developed, the way the weapons are used, the gore when bashing and/or cutting a zombie are phenomenal, the storyline is a little weak, but the fighting compensates for the game's shortcomings, Co-op style is a big weakness, they should have learned more from L4D, I would stick it out alone. I usually don't write reviews until I'm done with the game, but I felt is had to counter act the fake scores given by all the "I can't launch the game" morons. Expand
  5. Sep 6, 2011
    If you are one of the lucky folks who have no problems running it, the game is a blast. Its no GOTY but it is tons of fun. I didn't enjoy it for the first 15 mins but after going back in I am absolutely loving it. If you are one of the people worried about losing progress, don't. I see it as an opportunity to try one of the other builds. Please ignore the irrational trolls who rated a 0If you are one of the lucky folks who have no problems running it, the game is a blast. Its no GOTY but it is tons of fun. I didn't enjoy it for the first 15 mins but after going back in I am absolutely loving it. If you are one of the people worried about losing progress, don't. I see it as an opportunity to try one of the other builds. Please ignore the irrational trolls who rated a 0 because it didnt work for them at launch. Also please disregard the 10's as anyone who cant find a single flaw is a fanboy. Expand
  6. Sep 6, 2011
    Iv played this game since it was unlocked on steam this morning and i cant stop. i dont know why people are trolling this game? i can run 1980x 1080x perfectly fine, maybe dont buy computers from bestbuy ? or for you Canadians Future shop. cause future shop is the red devil :) . The game is very fun thou the story is meh. bottom line you will have hours of fun with your friends just beIv played this game since it was unlocked on steam this morning and i cant stop. i dont know why people are trolling this game? i can run 1980x 1080x perfectly fine, maybe dont buy computers from bestbuy ? or for you Canadians Future shop. cause future shop is the red devil :) . The game is very fun thou the story is meh. bottom line you will have hours of fun with your friends just be sure to play coop Expand
  7. Sep 6, 2011
    I've only been playing this for a few hours. But put simply? My game of the year! Yes, there are a few bugs but so far, nothing game breaking. Controls are fine, environment are amazing. The only thing is the voice acting but I can live past that.
  8. Sep 6, 2011
    Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombie survival horror with item collection and character skill advancement trees. Its as If Borderlands and Dead Rising got together and had a baby, that baby would be dead Island. This game has rich four player co-op, simple yet effective story, a deep weapon crafting and character customization system. Do you love zombies? Exploration?Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombie survival horror with item collection and character skill advancement trees. Its as If Borderlands and Dead Rising got together and had a baby, that baby would be dead Island. This game has rich four player co-op, simple yet effective story, a deep weapon crafting and character customization system. Do you love zombies? Exploration? character advancement? item collections? co-op? then dead Island is a no brain-er. The only reason this game doesn't get a ten is due to a slightly bugged user interface that should be fixed this week with a patch.

I would like to add that Dead Island on a high end pc is the ultimate zombie killing experience. This version has no texture loading issues, great control and much better graphics over all.
  9. Sep 6, 2011
    This is a very good game. For all the funny youtube videos showing off the debug mode, it's less buggy than other open world games such as New Vegas or Oblivion, and has co-op to boot: especially important to note that this is not a single player game. You have that option, but you really need to bring a friend or three.

The plot isn't as paper thin as a title like Borderlands, but is

The plot isn't as paper thin as a title like Borderlands, but is still on the shoddy side; you won't mistake this for an Avellone venture. With gameplay this solid, though, the narrative sinking into the background while you and your friends are on voice chat suits it just fine.

The controls are slick, your actions feel purposeful. The melee combat is really well done, I was definitely impressed. This is all rather insubstantive so let me take you through a cool moment:

My friend and I saw this swole zombie by the edge of a pool full of bodies. I threw my cleaver at it, my buddy threw both his knives (and was then out of weapons). I moved in start wailing on it with my baseball bat, but it punched me and I went flying into the pool. As my character stumbled to his feet, the bodies in the pool got up.

I went into Fury Mode and started boxing them and my friend had to walk up to the big guy and pull his knives out of him - while he was still up and dangerous - in order to continue packing in the damage.

The game is full of things like this. I pre-ordered it Monday and it's been worth every penny.
  10. Sep 6, 2011
    Beautiful! This hell truly does look like paradise and feels like the best zombie slayer this year. The graphics are great and the game is incredibly easy to run! If you don't fall in love with the game play than you'll truly enjoy the rpg elements! Great game Play IT!
  11. Sep 6, 2011
    First off, I'm one of those 'poor' victims that have been left to play Dead Island on the PC with the 'developer' version or whatever the hell that was. After being linked to this metacritic thing and seeing how biased people's votes were, I just had to make an account myself to rate it for myself.

The game was quite nice even when there was obvious bugs/issues that literally consumed 2 hours for me and my friends in trying to get a single lobby going where all of us were in the same game. Of course after we got that out of the way, we only suffered minor issues such as graphic cards overheating and crashing someone's computer and crashing our game due to random things like, crashing into a female zombie with a truck. But overall, I found that the game had a huge potential. Its intended features/concepts are present but just left in a lackluster manner due to the known bugs/issues that was released on the first day for the US. So I say give this game a chance, and ignore the 'rage' from these people that are bringing this game's score down to as low as 4.4. Chances are you'll like this game since it offers a lot of fun and exploration, as well as replay value. Oh and in before massive negative votes on this review post from those same raging nerds that can't just go have a life and maybe return late in the evening to find a better patch---Or something, rather than wasting their time trying to defame a game after only a single cluster of issues (admittedly a huge cluster). Because don't get me wrong, they should have avoided all of this via quality assurances or something.

Was actually going to give this game a 8/10 or 9/10 because it was quite satisfying for me, excluding all the annoying bugs and the inability in 'push to talk' or having an easier way to arrange lobbies. But since the game's score has been shot down by angry nerds, I must give it a 10. Enjoy the game when it's fully patched.
  12. Sep 6, 2011
    Dead Island is suffering from the typical "First Day/Week Hiccups" Nearly every game is packed with bugs within the first week or so, I am going to be doing an early review on things. Dead Island is an extremely fun game, that is worth the money . Logging in and playing with a friend for the first time is a blast, as you hack and slash every zombie that comes your way and you alwaysDead Island is suffering from the typical "First Day/Week Hiccups" Nearly every game is packed with bugs within the first week or so, I am going to be doing an early review on things. Dead Island is an extremely fun game, that is worth the money . Logging in and playing with a friend for the first time is a blast, as you hack and slash every zombie that comes your way and you always scream "Ooooohhhh" whenever you slaughter a zombie. The co-op set up was very convenient, but lacked hints or a clue on when your co-op buddy can join you, after the Prologue your friend can join. Otherwise the co-op seems to really play smoothly and not suffer from any other issues that I came across.

Experience: I am a gamer who does not fully believe every "Professional" reviewer, I look through them and then try the game myself, and find that most of the time I enjoy it even if the review was abysmal. It all matters about the experience you have with the game. As I mentioned before I played with my buddy through the co-op system, and we had a blast. The game does not seem to get old, the hacking and slashing, the gore and the exploration is just a pure treat. Every swing and throw I have done was an experience I have never felt before in a game, the brutal contact you make with a melee weapon to a zombie is just satisfying and you can feel their head crunch and necks snap. Overall Dead Island is definitely an experience you'll remember for a long time, and especially with a friend, you'll be laughing a lot.

(re)Playability: Every gamer wants a game worth the money, and a game they can come home and enjoy hours on end, and this game is one of them. There are a TON of side-quests waiting for your acceptance and a vast amount of weaponry. There are weapon upgrade/repair tables around the world, which can be used for creating weapons, repairing weapons and upgrading weapons, and every single weapons has at least 3 upgrades giving you a chance to craft some crazy weapons and gather materials for blueprints and look for weapons. That's a lot of (re)playability there. Overall the (re)playability is very high, and I can tell that the game will offer another or...another play though, and I could tell there is too much to explore, and you won't be exploring it all on the first play through.

Graphics and Animation: When I first starting playing the game my first reaction was "Wow this look nice" Its a rare case to find an open-world game to look so beautiful. As a 3d Environment Artist for games myself, I study the game world (I know nerdy) and I just felt in love with the environment, it is very well done for a open-world game and they deserve two thumbs up, but one thing I noticed is that some zombies tend to look too "wrinkly" the normal maps on some enemies are a bit "over exaggerated"compared to others and seems that the normal infected look better than the bosses, which was kind of odd to me, but it is not too much of a deal. The lip-syncing is not very good, but its nothing to ditch the game for, and the cut scenes are "meh" The animations for the zombies are great though as they switch and run at you, there is one kind of zombie that I seriously acted real (if zombies were in existence of course) Overall the art in this game is well done.

Conclusion: As I mentioned this is my early review on things from what I experienced, and take what you want from this, but what I can say is Dead Island is getting some harsh reviews for things like: Glitches, story, lip-syncing, performance,etc" and this game JUST came out, I feel that it is quite unfair. The reason this is not a 10 is because of the rumors I heard on a Dev-build in which I figured because of the no-clipping, and some evidence of code that a steam user posted on the forums. This hopefully should be fixed, but I don't rely on that, as I mainly rely on my enjoyment and experience I had, and I already had an amazing experience with the game that is not even finished yet! Are you still debating whether to get this game or not? Well the comparison of "Fallout 3 with Zombies" is actually fairly true, it is really great. This game is the first game in a long time that I look forward everyday to play its the "I can't wait to get home from ____ to play this game" kind of feeling, and I haven't felt that in a long time. I don't blame anyone for waiting to get the game when things clear up a bit, but this is a must get no matter when you decide to play it. 9/10.
  13. Sep 6, 2011
    Great when playing with friends and do the co-op together. The game has a good atmosphere with a good character advancement tree + crafting. If you enjoyed Dead rising or Borderlands, you will enjoy this game.
  14. Sep 6, 2011
    Just because people are upset about bug on a release. . which happens with most games anyways. Doesn't automatically make this a poor game. Also anyone who says it's a port should have their ratings taken away because they don't know that it's actually not a port the pc just got the wrong version upon release. But it's still has plenty of fun in it.
  15. Sep 6, 2011
    Loving this game so far! Its fun, different and what I hoped L4D would have been more of. I have had no problem with controls and any issues other trolls have problems with. If u like survival horror, rpg and fps melee you will like this game. If you like games being a movie, then go away.
  16. May 24, 2014
    I would have given the game a higher score if it didnt have so many bugs still till this day. Love the game but the developers took too many shortcuts with the game and ruined it in certain areas. But i get which direction they wanted the game to head towards but just couldnt do so.

Overall, its been 2.5 years and I still love the game.
  17. Oct 27, 2013
    I adore Dead Island, It might be a little on the clunky side but basically what you have here is a Bethesda style game which has optional multiplayer where you beat the crap out of zombies with baseball bats that have nails in...
  18. Jun 20, 2014
    Loved the game. Great graphics, gameplay, and storyline. The vehicle driving is well done as well.
    There is a long and short campaign that merge the stories at the endgame.
    There is a long and short campaign that merge the stories at the endgame.
    The long campaign is the main storyline featuring one of 4 characters. Every level is detailed and lengthy, but not boring. Even the side quests (technically the grinders) move smoothly as the collection rate for necessary items isn't high at all.
    The short campaign follows a law officer trying to find his wife, and eventually meeting up with the 4 survivors from the main storyline.
    The ending has a twist.
    One any difficulty the game is still challenging. Ammo, and carry space, are realistically done, and there is a surplus of good weapons to be found. I didn't want the game to end, but felt satiated and satisfied when it was finished.
  19. Feb 2, 2013
    This is a very violent product. A lot of blood, a lot of stress because the threat is everywhere. You can join anyone who is around the map. The multiplayer's system is original. The difficulty is correct and fights are very dynamic. Enjoy
  20. Feb 12, 2013
    great game, with replayability from different characters to select. although the overall main story is likely the same, the personal stories are different. i wished they would have delve further into each character's personal stories tho. its a 1st person survival horror game that takes some time to get use to the controls. some of the levels also feel a bit like walking in circles, wellgreat game, with replayability from different characters to select. although the overall main story is likely the same, the personal stories are different. i wished they would have delve further into each character's personal stories tho. its a 1st person survival horror game that takes some time to get use to the controls. some of the levels also feel a bit like walking in circles, well since its on an island i guess. not really many, terribly infected monsters to battle unfortunately. only mindless zombies and the tougher zombie. i think left 4 dead is better than this. it can get boring at times when you wander around too much doing the same thing collecting things, saving people, killing zombies...over and over. the story is decent but nothing memorable to me. Expand
  21. Jun 21, 2013
    Dead Island is one of the best games of zombies, u cant' say u know about zombie's games if you did't play Dead Island, the IA of the game is very good, and the graphics are the best in this kind of games. Have a lot of fun the online. You will love to pass the game many times. The DLC made this game very complete. I Love Dead Island.
  22. Apr 23, 2013
    If you happen to enjoy campy horror films, Dead Island is a game for you! The game is far from perfect, but the fun factor keeps me coming back for more zombie bashing mayhem. Also, bring along a few friends and (as most games) the game gets even better! Looking forward for more games in this series!
  23. Dec 2, 2013
    Massive, Fun, and laughable characters is what Dead Island consist of. When I say massive I mean 40 hours plus massive. There are hundreds of side missions, many locations to find and exclusions notes which actually make for a better story compared to what the game attempts to portray. The Graphics are impressive and Banoi is a related destination for paradise holidaying. Basically theMassive, Fun, and laughable characters is what Dead Island consist of. When I say massive I mean 40 hours plus massive. There are hundreds of side missions, many locations to find and exclusions notes which actually make for a better story compared to what the game attempts to portray. The Graphics are impressive and Banoi is a related destination for paradise holidaying. Basically the game is about four main characters who have mutated an immunity which has given them the privilege to do 1000 fetch quests for pretty much everyone. The aim of the game is to get off this Island of hell and discover what actually is going on. Expand
  24. Feb 19, 2014
    Apesar da críticas ruim é um ótimo game e recomendo. Os usuários que deram notas ruins são fanboys do Left 4 Dead que estão com inveja porque o Dead Island é tão bom quanto ele.
  25. Jan 12, 2014
    A pretty good game. It brought a new and exciting feel to the zombie slasher games we see today. Sure there were bugs here and there like the walk thru doors bug in the city. Over all i had fun
  26. Feb 12, 2014
    Well,, The Graphic is Incredibly welldone and the Combat system with those zombies is thrilling I just loved it,, It is the best FPS Zombie horror genre game I ever played
  27. Mar 19, 2014
    A fun zombie-killing experience that has the right blend of difficulty, horror, and whimsy. It's not the best game - tons of glitches for one - but it is hours and hours of fun, great solo or in multiplayer. There are shortcomings of course: the sections where firearms are required get a bit tedious, and firearms themselves seem pretty weak when stacked up against the ridiculous amountA fun zombie-killing experience that has the right blend of difficulty, horror, and whimsy. It's not the best game - tons of glitches for one - but it is hours and hours of fun, great solo or in multiplayer. There are shortcomings of course: the sections where firearms are required get a bit tedious, and firearms themselves seem pretty weak when stacked up against the ridiculous amount of melee weapons you can get your hands on. There's also a fair bit of dumb design decisions in there, like making Alcohol an item that can take up a weapon slot, or having higher level weapon modifications available before the lower level variants. Despite that, the melee combat is both fun and challenging. The game holds up decently well, though it loses a bit of its charm in the later levels when things veer away from the combination of beautiful scenery with horrifying zombies. Still, it's not like it stops being fun, it just loses a little bit of that humorous juxtaposition.

All in all it's a great game, even moreso on the PC since it is HIGHLY moddable. Don't like some aspect of the game? There's probably a mod out there to change it.
  28. Jun 9, 2014
    Dead Island Is a mix between Borderlands and Left 4 Dead! The graphics are good despites the glitches that occurs often in the game! Also It is mostly made for Co-Op, If you play alone you will get to act 2 and also bored to death! Otherwise, play with 3 of your friends online and you will have a lot of fun! I recommend it for any fans of zombie games!
  29. Jun 24, 2014
    Dead Island might seem like another zombie game, but it's not. It's sunny outside, your character runs like an idiot, and that's what makes this game different.

Once again, the added value comes from the mutliplayer experience, as you can get all together in car and break some zombie bones on the way. It's a bit buggy but it's not ruining the game at all The storyline is not the best

The storyline is not the best one, but it's decent, and some parts of the world are really challenging. It's horror, rpg, action, range and melee. I love it !

The weapon crafting is nice, even if you have to repair your weapons twice during the missions, but you can create pretty much everything and you find new weapons all the time to replace the old ones.

Conclusion : Forget the bugs, forget the sensation of unfinished game, this is fun and you know it !
  30. Jan 12, 2012
    This is one of those games you need to grab 3 friends and sit back and enjoy the ride! Played right through loving every bit of it, because even if a couple of parts are boring your mates come to the rescue and brighten it up! The gore is beautiful, some scenes are so nice they actually made me stop just to take a good look. So many people would of played this solo or with randoms and IThis is one of those games you need to grab 3 friends and sit back and enjoy the ride! Played right through loving every bit of it, because even if a couple of parts are boring your mates come to the rescue and brighten it up! The gore is beautiful, some scenes are so nice they actually made me stop just to take a good look. So many people would of played this solo or with randoms and I feel they're just missing out on what could of been an awesome experience. I can tell I'll be picking this up again after a while :) 10/10. Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.