6.8

1. Sep 16, 2011
    When this game first came out it worked well for me, but it did have the occasional bug. One patch later and it froze every 5 seconds and deleted my progress. A couple days after when the game got more patches it ran extremely well. The graphics on this game are not amazing but they work well enough for the environment to look pretty enough to feel like you are actually on a tropical island. The game play is satisfying, the best description of this is condemned mixed with borderlands, melee works great and some of the mods for weapons are awesome but the guns don't feel too great. Each character plays differently and each plays well once you get used to their strengths and weaknesses, but the skill trees do kinda run the same course. This game runs well, plays well and looks good and a few bugs( every once in awhile it will freeze for a second at the most and one cut-scene has a background that looks like it dropped acid) and this fun gets multiplied in multiplayer. The quests are mostly the same brand that you would in WoW (go here kill these, go there get those). All in all this game is great, some flaws but nothing to cry about. Expand
  2. Sep 17, 2011
    Well, when I first picked up Dead Island, I was a bit leery of what I was going to get here- coming from games such as oblivion and all, I was not expecting much. But to be honest- this game delivers a bit more than what you bargain for.

Graphics/Optimization On PC- 7.5
    This game, is really nothing to proud of in the graphics department- the textures are a bit shoddy, but get the job done
    nicely while still looking nice. On the PC, it runs just very nicely on very old systems To say the least, they did a fine job of making the game look good- while having good performance. Some people complained about texture popup- but to be completely honest, it was either too subtle to see, or I did not experience any at all.

Gameplay- 9
    Now this is where things get interesting- imagine having a swarm of zombies coming at you- and you having a bat and knocking the living daylights out of them. In Dead Island, you can do that. You will have firearms in dead island- but they are very rare, and should be used sparingly, some people complained about this- and some people should really look into the game before buying something dont like, and giving it a low rating. But- to say the least, the combat system is perfect, the world is just GIGANTIC. There's so much to see and explore, it's ridiculous. You can even upgrade your weapons, and mod them- to make them your own. This game is really something special when it comes to the weapons, to say the least, you wont be disappointed in the gameplay department.

Sound- 9

This game wins in the sound department, everything from the zombie sounds is very well executed. At times- I was actually listening for the zombies, and the game managed to scare me with the sounds a few times. Well done Techland.

Enjoyment. 8.5
    I'd have to say, you're going to have a blast, just trust me. Coop is really fun.

Overall- 9
    This game is very well done, it's different than the RPGs we see these days, and should be enjoyable for most.
  3. Sep 17, 2011
    Great game. It's fun to kill zombies by baseball. Espiecially Co-OP. LOVE IT:)

Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombie survival horror with item collection and character skill advancement trees. Its as If Borderlands and Dead Rising got together and had a baby, that baby would be dead Island. This game has rich four player co-op, simple yet effective story, a deep weapon
    crafting and character customization system. Do you love zombies? Exploration? character advancement? item collections? co-op? then dead Island is a no brain-er. The only reason this game doesn't get a ten is due to a slightly bugged user interface that should be fixed this week with a patch. I would like to add that Dead Island on a high end pc is the ultimate zombie killing experience. This version has no texture loading issues, great control and much better graphics over all. Expand
  4. Sep 17, 2011
    A very immersive game with great combat mechanics and a lots of customisation for you character and his weapons . Graphism are realistic and zombies looks like real ones so you will be scared by a horde of them screaming all around you ! A must buy if you like to slaughter zombies and rescue people . The story could have been a lot better but the game will haunt you for dozens of hours ...
  5. Sep 18, 2011
    just to get one thing straight i DONT give high or low scores to balance out others(which is stupid) so when i say 9 i mean 9. This game started out with a lot of bugs but they have been working hard and fix the major ones. as far as the game goes it was very well done but where it really shines is the co-op. the co-op is not only fun but was done very well, when you have others with you there are sightly more special zombies and my favorite is the loot scales. so if you are a higher level and you are helping your lower level friend you can still get useful stuff for you! Overall its a fun game with good combat, rpg, and co-op. Expand
  6. Sep 18, 2011
    I feel like I'm playing an alpha version of a 5/10 game. This is clearly a console port. There are so many frustrating issues I don't know where to begin.
  7. Feb 2, 2012
    Enjoyed the game for a week or so than bought the arena pack and was gutted with the quality of that after having to pay for it, and I see another overpriced DLC is for sale. STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME.
  8. Sep 20, 2011
    I really liked this game at first because of the somewhat orginal concept and graphics, but i soon realized how much this game is just like borderlands has that same very annoying system of leveling up that doesnt really entertain you because you constant encounter harder enemies and your weapons are less and effective so you buy new ones this game a a LOT of glitches too, i have lost a many of my powerful weapons because of a autosave glitch or i threw a knife and couldn't pick it up i even lost all my levels and weapons about of no where and was level one and unarmed all over again i got this game through a torrent it was fun but i would never pay for it Expand
  9. Sep 21, 2011
    5 minutes into it I thought, 'This is a melee version of Borderlands'. Which is great because I enjoyed Borderlands immensely. There are many similarities to BL as to how characters advance and their given talent trees. Even the weapons follow a similar naming and color coding to hint at how good a weapon is. A major difference is though weapons degrade and can be modded with extra damage types (fire, shock, bleeding, etc.) once you have the upgrade mod collected, and have found the components you need found randomly around the vast searchable areas. Plenty of side quests to do instead of the following the main quest line, or you can just explore the vast open areas scourging for cash and bits of gear to upgrade your weapons. The game is fun single player, but improves moreso with multiplayer (especially co-ord mates playing), and the game scales accordingly to the number and levels of players. Fighting goes from flanking and nipping at bigger opponents to full on carnage with breaking bones and flying limbs against weaker targets. Each character has a special rage ability which builds up and then gets unleashed at your time and choosing in the fighting style of your character, and can be a game saver when overwhelmed. A 9kg gas bottle makes for an impressive impromptu bomb when thrown into a mire of enemies and shot. Homemade deodorant can bombs and Molotov's also impress. Visually impressive and seems mostly bug free after the initial release problems. Runs very well on my modest computer (E5200 dual core @ 3.5Ghz and HD6950. Win XP). Sound is good with lots of crunching and slicing effects. Music is fair, but most of the time you listening for the zombies anyhow.

Well worth the $50 dollars on Steam for my vote.
  10. Sep 25, 2011
    Techland's quality control standards are the reason why Dead Island isn't a "great game". The whole thing felt rushed, incomplete and unpolished. From glitches to stereotypical characters (that you never develop empathy for) Dead Island and it's story fall very short from the game it could have been. Maybe next time.
  11. bag
    Sep 29, 2011
    I found the gameplay extremely addictive and impressed with how large the world was. You will stumble across glitches every now and then, and I felt the online interaction with players could have been improved, but overall its a great game.
  12. Sep 29, 2011
    let me tell ya... this game was so much fun when i first started. then the bugs and glitches that should of been fixed long before release. but i dealt with it and played and played sometimes losing hours gameplay from some glitches. then the final straw. after beating the game 3 times and lvling my char to 43 i get the worst error yet. my game data is corrupt,,, basically that means your whole game is lost. 63 hours of gameplay out the window. i promptly traded the game in the next day and will never buy a deep silver product again. test your games before releasing them...noobs Expand
  13. Sep 29, 2011
    It's pretty hard to give this game a fair review. It's incredibly addicting and slashing up zombies and collecting loot is fun. But it's also incredibly glitchy and the animations in coop are absolutely terrible. The textures and models all look pretty good though.
    So good things:
    I completed the campaign in about 3 days doing all the sidequests so there is plenty of content. There is also
    a new game+ feature where you can start over with all your items and skills.
    The weapons are varied and the crafting system is pretty neat. You can upgrade weapons with different types of add-ons to give them different properties. There are a good variety of add-ons but many of them do the same thing (just a bit better). Even the guns in the game are pretty satisfying to use.
    The cooperative feature is good, with drop in - drop out at any time. It even has a display showing when another player is nearby when you're playing solo and then it gives you the option to join their game.
    The gore is great, you can hack off limbs or bash in heads or break bones all the while blood splatters everywhere and your weapon gets soaked in it. If you want a splatterfest, go with the sharp weapon expert and hack away.

Bad:
    It's very glitchy. I haven't come across anything gamebreaking but I've seen my share of unintentional bugs. For example some of the cars become invisible but people can still drive them. One of the attack moves wont activate if the zombie you're trying to do it on is hit by something else (which is frustrating).
    Invisible walls, this becomes most apparent in the 3rd act. You might feel like exploring but you can't stray off the road like you would expect from a sandbox game. You'll meet glitchy terrain, invisible walls, big holes you can't get out of easily, stretched textures and all that good stuff.
    The difficulty is pretty much non-existant as long as you pick the right class. Almost every single zombie you meet will fall over if you jumpkick them and kicking normally doesn't cost anything so they wont ever get up. All zombies have weaknesses to exploit but in the end, there isn't really anything challenging.

What you have in the end is a fun, addicting game with a fair share of problems. The overall experience makes up for the big lack of polish. I would say this is definitely worth buying IF you have friends to play it with.Though I would only recommend this to fans of the genre.
  14. Sep 30, 2011
    Dead island is what L4D and L4d2 should have been. You can go anyway and not be limited to a corridor . Side quests are excellent that will extend the mission even longer.
    There a few problem though that will make the experiences less enjoyable.
    First the flame bug, there is no flame you can see at all. PERIOD. But you get burned and damaged by them if you run into them. Secondly, the
    zombies variety are limited but does have bonus that they all look different, not a clone copy like in L4D game.
    Third after a while you can predicted where the zombies up ahead will be, that going to be a big problem since L4D AI director can send more zombies in if you get good at it. That what this game needed.
    The best solution is to have both Dead Island And L4D, L4D2 game combine to have the best of both world while solving the problem each have. I am hoping that the patch and the DLC coming up soon will fix most of these problem.
    I would advise people to wait for it to go on sale especially during Halloween time.
  15. Oct 4, 2011
    Once the initial bugs were ironed out (and they were quite a pain on day one), what was left was the game I had always wished L4D would have been. While the rpg elements aren't the most amazing in the world, and I don't have the desire (at the moment) to go through and replay the game, the multiplayer component was a blast, and the game gave me a good time exploring an island, shooting my guns, in a way i haven't had since the original Far Cry. I would recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  16. Oct 6, 2011
    Probably the best zombie game to date, with added RPG elements and online play, whats not to love. The first instance you find yourself with another player is when the comedy kicks in, theres hours of fun to be had in groups and even the solo play is rewarding. DLC's to be expected and can only make this title even greater. Recommended
  17. Oct 8, 2011
    A fantastically enjoyable romp through a zombie-infested island. This game is incredibly fun alone, and with others, everything just clicks. Melee combat is implemented well and surprisingly, gun combat is even more fun. Probably the goriest game today - every model has a full three layers: bone, muscles, and flesh. There is no present story, but agree with me when I say this - when you want to get a zombie survival game, what will you expect to be DOING? Surviving! The lack of story does not bother me. The environments are beautiful, and so are the models. However, there are only two cons I can think of.

1: All characters have botox faces and are not well-animated. (better than common characters used in Deus Ex: Revolution though)

2: There is no excuse as to why your mouse has to be permanently at a very slow speed when using a menu or the inventory.
  18. Oct 17, 2011
    Rushed console port. PROCEED CAUTIOUSLY IF YOU SUFFER MOTION SICKNESS. I typically don't but something about this game causes eye strain and headaches (even after tweaking the FOV). So much potential, I regret buying but hoping the developers patch it up or the mod community fixes it.
  19. Oct 21, 2011
    Good concept... very bad execution, too much hype. This could be a great game... but at the end it's a mediocre game. Now its a hack'n slash in first person... unplayable... a lot of bugs, unfinished game. Boring voices, boring ambient, invisible walls and corners.... Useless savegame method... who the hell wants save by chapter, and replay again and again the same hard scene nowadays? The same as The Walking Dead tv series,... all the time the same and nothing happens... Expand
  20. Oct 25, 2011
    The game has the potential, but sinks in its inconsistency, the interface problems and the feeling of being in an arcade.
    The problems with the mouse in the game and in menus, the problem with the assignment of weapons and drunkenness that attack us without notice.
    The downside of seeing this incredible game, we create a sense of realism rarely saw the world to have a zombie to roam. But
    however this is thrown on the ground thanks to the damage system you use.
    If you have extracted many good ideas from other games, so it seems, one that certainly miss all those who are fans of hard and realism is the damage system. You can be as hard and tough as you want, but a shooting death forever. 1 headshoot 1 death ever forever.
  21. Oct 30, 2011
    Rather than rehash basic introduction for the game, i'll skip right into the meat and potatoes.
    First, the bad.
    Even after the patch in October, the game still has bugs and glitches within it. None of those that exist are show stopping. You will encounter some floating items here and there, some texture errors occasionally, an item falling into the world or erased via world clean up. Those
    aren't really big deals though. The AI is mostly dumb, but the opponents are zombies and some human opponents, but even the humans aren't that smart. There are some hit registration errors involving the firearms as well, but for the most part it is not that big of a deal either.

There are some items of game preference that can turn folks off. If you are offended by women in bathing suits who are rotting into zombies or trying to hide out somewhere, this game isn't for you. If you are offended if native peoples are exploited for whatever reason, this game isn't for you. If you are offended by implied sex or rape, this game is not for you. Hint: the game is rated mature for a reason...

If you have issues with suspension of disbelief with items re-spawning, enemies re-spawning, players re-spawning or story continuity issues and some cut scene bugs; well you are probably an elitist and this game isn't for you. The game could use some tweaks in the item damage and modification arenas, but those are pretty minor issues at best.

What the game does well are two things. First, the melee combat and location damage system are done pretty well. There are some continuity issues with striking limbs in the middle of an attack, but that is fairly minor (IE, an enemy can swing at you and then you swing towards where the limb would be and nothing connects or only you get hit as your character steps in while swinging). This would be a lack of parry and block mechanics found in other older games like Bushido Blade. The second thing the game does really well is the co-op game play allowing you to join on the fly or search for others with similar progress within the story line. The built in voice chat leaves something to be desired, with the lack of controls or push to talk. The digital controls for PC are the most responsive though, despite having the concept of free range motion using a game pad and the analog control set. However, the analog controls are not setup very intuitively and require full swings, rather than swings from a neutral stance to be performed. This causes over exaggerated movements to occur, despite the actual striking area to be rather limited.

Unfortunately, the characters are not balanced well against each other or the world. This would be an issue of the game was harder. Although the designers could have labeled the characters with different difficulty levels implied while playing though. All but one character have many useless filler skills and the worst character forces you to allot points into some of them in order to get down into better skills. After the player attains the stomp skill, the game becomes ridiculously easy as it not only saves on the weapon durability, it also makes for quicker kills in most instances. The kick now uses stamina, which is a change from launch, but jump kicks do not seem to drain as much stamina anymore.

Overall the game is fun and that is what is important. There are many things that could be fixed down the road, or done differently in the design phase which would make the game better. Hopefully there will be more developed titles following Dead Island's lead in the future.
  22. Oct 31, 2011
    Dead Island is awesome. I have 147 hours played so far. I even bought this game for my college friend who couldn't afford it so we could play the game co-op. Sure it has a few bugs, most were patched. There might be a few things that are slightly annoying at first, like the durability on items but as the game progresses it isn't as bothersome. My biggest complaint might be that it seems like they are trying to hide what they are patching on steam. There are no patch notes after i download patches, i do not understand why. The major thing people are complaining about this game is the bugs and when they patch it they don't release patch notes. Expand
  23. Nov 2, 2011
    after i saw everything i have to change my first review.
    now the worst bugs are patched, some still remain untouched.
    but, even with some bugs, (dissapearing weapons, texture failures,...) this is a great game.

the gaming world is very large, you have a lot of enemies to fight, especially after the 2nd chapter. the missions are okay, the story and the ending look like there will be a
    sequel.
    the sound effects are nice, the graphics very detailed.- especially the water, the enemies and the nature. sadly the gaphics are missing some reflections, but probably on purpose to make the game playable, even on slower systems.

if you dont feel like doing missions, you can just walk arround hours over hours, kill tons of zombies, with help of many different (craftable) weapons.

you can play the campain alone or with 3 friends in coop, really alot of fun.

50â
  24. Nov 10, 2011
    Sandbox environment is always a plus, and Dead Island doesnt disappoint. The greatest feature is the coop that can be played with friends on your own game or their game. This is seriously the best use of co-op ive ever seen and a really hope many other games follow suit. The game can be fairly difficult at times and frustrating without a partner, but is definitely worth buying if you have a dedicated teammate that will play with you. Just falls short of perfect, but is a very enjoyable RPG. Expand
  25. Nov 10, 2011
    Extremely visceral mighty foot simulator. I was really looking forward to this game's release, however, it has shown to have several gameplay and graphical issues. There are times when you feel totally immersed in a world devastated by a zombie apocalypse, yet, with it's many and in some instances game breaking glitches serves to pull you right back out. All in all it's a decently mediocre game, with mediocre gameplay. I just love killing zombies though. Expand
  26. Nov 11, 2011
    Nice open world game that is fun to play with friends but horrible to play with random ppl and boring to play solo. Imo way to bright enviorments for a zombie slasher.
  27. Jan 6, 2012
    Well I first got this game in September 2011 shortly after it was released and played if for about 10 hours. I then left it and came back to it at the beginning of 2012 and then saw what an amazing game it was...addictive...emotional...amazing. I really can't explain how real it feels to be in Banoi, the city. You really do feel like you are there and it really is the end of the world.
    I
    can't stop playing it now and I can guarantee you will feel the emotional side of this game by the end.
    All I can say is buy it now! You don't know what you're missing.
  28. Nov 14, 2011
    At first i hated it then it grew on me probably alot of fun on co op but sp is kinda boring go here get this bring it back over and over. You can just run past most zombies, But one you start upgrading your weapons it starts to get more interesting, that dies off quick as zombies don't pose no real threat they cant walk up a 45-50 degree slope and cant see you if you are far enuff away story on a island with zombies trying to get off soo meh don't matter to me pc performance 130fps looks ok but its old looking to with bloom Expand
  29. Nov 15, 2011
    Much better than I'd expected, and far more enjoyable than the impression I got from the reviews. I was surprised that so little was written about the graphics, which in my opinion were easily as good as Farcry 2 or Crysis 2. I don't have the most powerful PC in the world, but even at medium settings the environments in Dead Island were probably it's strongest feature. That, and the perversely satisfying sounds you hear whilst beating zombies to death with a wrench.
    The main problem I had with the game was that I just didn't follow the plot at all. By the time it reached the finale (far too soon) I had no idea what the story was that led me there, or who these people were. Also, if you choose to play the story on your own, instead of enlisting random strangers, the cut-scenes contain all four characters, even though I was alone.
    The characters themselves were also a failing. Rather than having four distinct individuals (like say, Left4Dead) you just get two shallow alpha-males and their female equivalents. I'd like to have seen a couple of 'everyman' characters, like the father from the now infamous trailer. You know, normal people.
  30. Nov 15, 2011
    the best zombie game out there thus far. it still needs allot of work in the animation department. as well as emotion. but its overall fun if i had to summarize it, i would say Fallout 3 meets Zombie Apocalypse. there was one thing i wish they had added it would have to of been the removal of the skill tree and implementing a learn as you go system based on how you playl. example if you favor guns. then well the more you use it the better you get at it, the same would go for melee combat. oh and giving the option to play your own custom character. Expand

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.