Dead Island PC

6.9

1. Jul 19, 2012
    We as FPS gamers are on a downward slope - everything is getting more and more boring where AAA titles are OK and anything less we don't have the interest to finish. Dead island was one of the first games in a long time (since...Quake 3?) that I couldn't put down - literally played through the night without realizing it (THAT right there is the sign that a game is good). For what it'sWe as FPS gamers are on a downward slope - everything is getting more and more boring where AAA titles are OK and anything less we don't have the interest to finish. Dead island was one of the first games in a long time (since...Quake 3?) that I couldn't put down - literally played through the night without realizing it (THAT right there is the sign that a game is good). For what it's worth, use the (gasp) Xbox 360 controller on the PC and switch the aiming to analogue. I just loved slicing zombies heads off, curb stomping them and beating them to a pulp to the ground (and then some like a dirty street scrap). Had many memorable moments and jokes among my friends with the game. Only downside is that once your done the game you really don't want to play through it again (at least me)- but hey, I paid $39.99 for it and I don't regret it. Expand
  2. Aug 5, 2012
    Dead Island is complete trash from start to finish! This game failed before it even was created. The game is outdated in every way possible. Maybe this game would of been amazing back in 1998! This game is so dull and boring with its lame ass repetitive game play that I just wanted to throw my PC out the window! This game was designed and made by assclowns, who had no idea what a good gameDead Island is complete trash from start to finish! This game failed before it even was created. The game is outdated in every way possible. Maybe this game would of been amazing back in 1998! This game is so dull and boring with its lame ass repetitive game play that I just wanted to throw my PC out the window! This game was designed and made by assclowns, who had no idea what a good game looks like let alone should have any business making a game in the first place. Techland and DeepSliver are both full of dip sticks and useless asshats. This game blows on so many levels you could write a million books on it. So this very lame and boring game gets an amazing 0 out of 10 from me! Blow it out your ass you bloody asshats! Expand
  3. Aug 12, 2012
    Repetitive, **** rpg elements, and pretty much a CoD-like take on an army of zombies gameplay hacking and slashing through them.
    This game was promised to be a good RPG, survival zombie game. That promise was not delivered.
  4. May 8, 2013
    This game has great potential, I like the open world RPG ,LvL system and skills, Crafting weapons its cool,the art work and world design are great! but I think that there is a unbalanced weapon system and there is so poor weapons to find in the world and a short variety for the ammo the same, if they fix that and put like x20 more Zombies and add something like chainsaws, M60This game has great potential, I like the open world RPG ,LvL system and skills, Crafting weapons its cool,the art work and world design are great! but I think that there is a unbalanced weapon system and there is so poor weapons to find in the world and a short variety for the ammo the same, if they fix that and put like x20 more Zombies and add something like chainsaws, M60 flamethrowers, etc, I would give an A+ and a 10 :D Expand
  5. Sep 28, 2014
    This game has hardcoded aimassist on PC! How could anyone give it more that 0?!!
    I don't even want to mention other technical dificulities with this game....
  6. Jan 15, 2013
    Scenery looks great, characters, a little less than stellar. The real problem lies with the level up system, there is no point when the zombies level up with you every inch of the way. Guns are another problem, they are useless against zombies so choosing the character with the gun perks is a complete waste, a mistake i made my first time through. There are bugs but that's not what ruinedScenery looks great, characters, a little less than stellar. The real problem lies with the level up system, there is no point when the zombies level up with you every inch of the way. Guns are another problem, they are useless against zombies so choosing the character with the gun perks is a complete waste, a mistake i made my first time through. There are bugs but that's not what ruined this game for me, boring quests a broken leveling system and a lack of any kind of story makes this sub par. Expand
  7. Apr 2, 2014
    Not as exciting as the trailer led me to believe. I like the open world, melee combat and beautiful lighting and water, but those were not enough to keep me hooked for more than 2 hours. There's a lot of map glitches and AI bugs. The story isn't very interesting... I thank The Walking Dead for spoiling me there lol. There's a lot of object pop-in and frame-stuttering even tho my fps is aNot as exciting as the trailer led me to believe. I like the open world, melee combat and beautiful lighting and water, but those were not enough to keep me hooked for more than 2 hours. There's a lot of map glitches and AI bugs. The story isn't very interesting... I thank The Walking Dead for spoiling me there lol. There's a lot of object pop-in and frame-stuttering even tho my fps is a solid 60. The brightness adjust screen is misleading. Bad support for surround sound headsets. I tried to enjoy the game multiple times, but I can't after a short period of time. It had high potential. I won't ever play it again, but I'll forever remember how satisfying it was to smack a zombie in the face with a boat paddle. Expand
  8. Feb 17, 2013
    It is a disgusting,buggy,repetitive console port.The game is barely even working.It feels unfinished.Graphics are out of date,the missions are boring,the core fighting system makes killing zombies a chore more than anything.Exploring this half finished island is completely useless.
  9. Sep 12, 2014
    this was a good fun game especially with disciplined co-op play (playing with douchy-strangers on open mic can suck). it incorporates quite a few genres: zombie-survival fps (L4D-style) and ARPG loot/treasure hunting and crafting. the different characters/skill-sets make this game very viable for multiple playthroughs and the open-world concept with decent enough graphics make for athis was a good fun game especially with disciplined co-op play (playing with douchy-strangers on open mic can suck). it incorporates quite a few genres: zombie-survival fps (L4D-style) and ARPG loot/treasure hunting and crafting. the different characters/skill-sets make this game very viable for multiple playthroughs and the open-world concept with decent enough graphics make for a generally enjoyable experience. Expand
  10. Jul 19, 2013
    If you like zombies you can't go wrong. The survival horror feel of this game may possibly be the best I ever experienced. Smashing your way through zombies in first person with baseball bats and machetes just feels great. Some moments of the game are really intense and really made me feel that zombie survival couldn't be done any better than this game did it.
    Though this game does not
    Though this game does not shine in places like story or characters, it does not need to. The world and gameplay make up for it.
    My biggest complaint about this game is a serious issue with the throwing mechanic. If you do not play Logan, who specializes in throwing skills, you may never notice this at all. But occasionally, thrown weapons glitch out and vanish. After 60+ hours in the game, and spending my entire savings on fully upgraded and modded new weapons only to have them both vanish within 2 minutes of leaving town I rage quit for a few months.
  11. Apr 7, 2013
    This game is amazing. I've played through it singleplayer and both co-op. The co-op was the. Most fun with 4 players although 2 players was also good. An amazing open world game a lot of custumizable weapon selection, and fun (but repetitive) gameplay, this makes for a good experience. I can't wait for the sequel coming out this year.
  12. Apr 26, 2013
    Fair game, nothing better than that. The graphics are bad and the multiplayer system are a little weird. I play something like 10 hours and dont have so much will to return to play that game.
  13. Mar 16, 2014
    Read some review before I started playing that said it borrowed a lot from Fallout.
    Having played the game for a couple of days I can agree to some extent.
    The problem is that it doesn't improve on anything compared to Fallout. The open world, isn't that open. You get the "You are leaving the playable area" whenever you try to explore places. Your weapon needs repair all the time. Bugs
    Having played the game for a couple of days I can agree to some extent.
    The problem is that it doesn't improve on anything compared to Fallout.
    The open world, isn't that open. You get the "You are leaving the playable area" whenever you try to explore places. Your weapon needs repair all the time. Bugs and glitches even though I'm playing the final patch. Repetitive as hell. So far I've not encountered any enemy that's not a zombie, probably never will. Driving controls is probably the worst I've ever experienced.
    Still, there are some fun parts. The sunny beach environments is a nice alternative to most games gloomy caves.
  14. Apr 5, 2014
    It's an unfinished mess. Textures are dreadful, lighting is from 1998 and whoever signed of those menus has never used a computer before. That and the fact my character seems to be ice-skating make it all but unplayable.
  15. Jul 1, 2014
    It started out okay, there was a story going on, but then it takes a sharp turn and crashes. Real early in the beginning main storyline quests tell you to go do some 'side' quests. Movement is sluggish, trying to strafe while moving makes you slow to a crawl. The weapons break way too fast. Random enemies that are far stronger than anything else around that without a ranged weaponIt started out okay, there was a story going on, but then it takes a sharp turn and crashes. Real early in the beginning main storyline quests tell you to go do some 'side' quests. Movement is sluggish, trying to strafe while moving makes you slow to a crawl. The weapons break way too fast. Random enemies that are far stronger than anything else around that without a ranged weapon leaves you running in circles. The mouse sensitivity defaults way too high and when you adjust it the mouse moves too slow when you enter the menu. There is very little point to have a level system in a game if you're going to just make everything scale with you. It's a low quality PC port. Expand
  16. Aug 13, 2014
    Dead island is one of those games made to play with someone else ideally with a mic. How ever played by yourself or without a mic and you will find a sub-standard experience. During my solo play through i spent around 14 hours completing the story and and a hefty amount of side content. The side content falls on the flat side as many are the same repeated fetch quest formula the "go overDead island is one of those games made to play with someone else ideally with a mic. How ever played by yourself or without a mic and you will find a sub-standard experience. During my solo play through i spent around 14 hours completing the story and and a hefty amount of side content. The side content falls on the flat side as many are the same repeated fetch quest formula the "go over the and bring it back". The story fails to deliver the previously promised emotional story from the fantastic trailer as the characters are far from deep. Also the four main characters could of been borught down to two as Logan and Purna abilities don't vary much and the same goes for the other two. Despite all these negatives there are some positives as i said before played with friends is the only way to play as it gives us a gaming experience that rivals borderlands. The skill tree is the rpg element of the game and is a welcome addition to the tired zombie formula and lets you power up different zones such as a special attack and strength. Also there are no shortages of things to do even if most of them get repetitive completion to 100% would take a hefty amount of time. Also there are no shortages of places to visit from a rough urban area filled with gangs and zombies to a jungle and more the island is huge

To summarize dead island is a fun game meant to be played with friends but playable by yourself
  17. Nov 4, 2014
    This is a pretty fun game to play, but after you beat the game once it's seemingly pointless to play again. You can keep all your upgrades and such but it's just virtually the same thing over, which is expected but it was never all that fun from get go. I don't regret the time playing the game, or anything so I'm basically saying you should try the game, but don't set very high expectations.
  18. Jan 27, 2015
    Zombie killing FPS OK in between the mind numbing looking droning along to the weak story and pathetically no zoned maps with poor support on release and very badly configured graphics for an established game engine. tolerable then came the QTE

Quick time events are for developers who don't know how to.
  19. ave
    Dec 24, 2015
    First I'd like to say that I love B and Z movies, and like to play games where I have to survive a zombie apocalypse (or any kind of apocalypse, like Fallout, Metro or Stalker).

Dead Island seems to got it all, but many choices in the game ruined the experience for me in spite of its qualities. This game has major deal-breakers for me : - Zombies respawns (almost at the same

This game has major deal-breakers for me :

- Zombies respawns (almost at the same place). Not only it kills the fantasy of globally reducing the threat and leaving some places safer, but it becomes annoying after a while to cut through them again (and again...). I know it's a fairly common choice in games with leveling and role-play, but I just don't like it. I don't feel rewarded by money and loot. The better reward for me would have been : a simple "gone forever" zombie.

- Lack of direction in open world. Even with quest and flags, I found the navigation pretty confusing : I had to go back and forth between the quest page, the map page, and the radar icon just to figure out how far a mission goal was. Add to this the relative "openness" of the world and I got myself lost and confused too many times for my taste.

- Getting no assistance from the survivors. Except the introduction, most of the times I do the dirty work for all the survivors. The story tells me I'm immune, but considering the fact zombies are respawning, some brave assistance in the field would have been appreciated. If you add on top of this the fact some "missions" are self-centered (like "bring me champagne" from the russian girl) you just want them to die of their stupidity right here for not contributing to the greater effort.

Dead Island has also minor negatives aspects ;

- The way weapons are assigned on slots and selected by the mouse during play are counter-intuitive. Many time I found myself struggling with a simple equip action, or abandoning weapons for a moment just to switch one in my hand with one in my bag-pack.

- It takes a looong time before you can get firearms so you have to bash or slash your way through hundreds of zombies before you can start to choose between a close combat and a ranged weapon.

- The weapons become useless after a while due to leveling up and that bothers me. It's nice to have to manage your durability or ammunition resources, but it quickly turns to busywork at the workshop and number comparison. It's very common in RPGs, Some people like this, I just don't.

- The world is filled with luggages with mini loot. I don't find fun the fact of searching each one of these, but if I don't I might just run out of money to repair and upgrade a more efficient weapon.

I'm really sad the game didn't work out for me, because I enjoyed the idea of playing it.
  20. Nov 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The graphics are really nice. The way you finish off zombies is awesome for the first hour or two. For me, Dead Island was only playable when I had friends who I could quest with.

There isn't a sense of danger or dread that you really should feel in a zombie game. It's more action and gore than surviving. That's what really ruined the game for me. With zombie games I really want to feel like every encounter could be my last. I want to feel a sick tingling in my stomach every time I open a door or walk into an open area. Had Dead Island been about Aliens then the action would have been welcomed and understood, but the idea of you can't get infected so you have to save the survivors is a weak plot choice and a worthless use of enemies that could have been something much more.

Then there is the quests. A needless addition to this game. Why insert a mechanic into a game that hinders immersion and story? The quests are boring and will have you traversing the same places back and forth. Go here, get this and come back. Now go a bit further than the last time and get this and come back. Now go past the way you came and get this and come back. They've taken a mechanic that works great in MMO's and forced it into a pseudo-zombie action killathon.

All that being said, this is still a decent game. If you have a few friends who are willing to whittle a weekend away then I think you will find a certain enjoyment here. If, however, you want a genuine game that forces you to constantly learn and adapt then try something else.
  21. Jun 29, 2014
    The game is fun for the first few hours, but the story gets very predictable very fast and progresses very slowly, the player characters aren't that interesting and the gameplay gets very stale very fast. There are a few effective ways to deal with zombies, and a lot of ineffective ways to do it, you end up doing the same for every situation.

the graphics are pretty and the gameplay

the graphics are pretty and the gameplay flows pretty well if you look away from the repetition.

Mediocre game, fun for a few hours, doesn't have much replay value.
  22. May 10, 2013
    I played the fully patched GOTY edition and what a letdown it was! Technically okay. I accepted that it is essentially a zombie slasher game so I ignored that it has little to no guns. Honestly I hoped it would enrich the slasher aspect but I came out empty handed. There`s basicly no difference if you hit`em with a hammer, a combat knife or an axe. They fall on the 2nd or 3rd hit orI played the fully patched GOTY edition and what a letdown it was! Technically okay. I accepted that it is essentially a zombie slasher game so I ignored that it has little to no guns. Honestly I hoped it would enrich the slasher aspect but I came out empty handed. There`s basicly no difference if you hit`em with a hammer, a combat knife or an axe. They fall on the 2nd or 3rd hit or occasionally lose some limbs and that`s it. There`s nothing detailed about the bodies that the zombies are. Granted they moan and growl like they should but killing them gets boring quickly. Most of the quests and sidequests are generic but sightseeing on a beatifully made island resort compensates some of that. It is fun to go around on feet seeing how people got eaten, some got barricaded and wait for help. The story is also pretty generic but keeps a good pace right to the end. Not that the characters you meet are interesing 0 they are blend as it can be. Don`t mind the crafting table it is just there to repair your current items. Most of the stuff that may be bought there you find on your own. I did not like the minimap which didn`t make finding paths to quests any easier. The music is..well, just there. It is a 6 out of 10 for me (just above the "meh" grade), I tried to appreciate it but I didn`t. Other than that I`m not a zombie slashers` fan but I hear opinions from such fans that they liked the game very much. Hence, the game will be fun mostly to them and remain a new but boring concept to the rest. Expand
  23. Sep 25, 2013
    All of my Romero fantasies rolled into one. There's no shopping mall, but the tone, atmosphere and level of immersion in Dead Island is incredible. Can get a little repetitive later on with the over-population of zombies in some areas, and some (not all) fetch-quests are somewhat boring, but excellent, bloody stuff nonetheless.
  24. Aug 21, 2012
    I will never understand how people can so virulently rail against a developer for releasing a game with bugs. Granted, this game had some huge ones on release day (I hear), the sad fact is that most games nowadays are released earlier than they should be, and have bugs/problems. While I agree this should never have become the norm, giving a game a 0-2 because of bugs that were resolvedI will never understand how people can so virulently rail against a developer for releasing a game with bugs. Granted, this game had some huge ones on release day (I hear), the sad fact is that most games nowadays are released earlier than they should be, and have bugs/problems. While I agree this should never have become the norm, giving a game a 0-2 because of bugs that were resolved within days is going to do nothing but lead potential future buyers away from purchasing a fantastic game that they would love. ********************************************************************************************************* That's exactly what this is: A fantastic game. People that were initially expecting the game to be like Dead Island or Left 4 Dead may be disappointed at first, but if they can look past their expectations, they will find a true gem. The closest actual comparison to this game is a zombie-themed Fallout 3 on a tropical island. Personally, I think this is by far the best zombie game on the market. Individual zombies are relatively weak and easy to pick off, but large groups of zombies become serious threats REALLY quickly, and larger "thug" enemies require some strategy to kill, rather than simply more bullets. At the same time, if you are reckless and swinging your weapon all over the place, you will run out of stamina, and even small groups will be challenging. I honestly think the combat is amazing, and is just about perfect, except for the fact that the characters' "kick" command (default button is E, I think) is a little overpowered, and it's easy to keep medium groups of zombies stunned on the ground by spamming it. If they nerfed it, though, the game might become too difficult. ************************************************************************************************************** Starting out in this game, be prepared to have crappy weapons that you need to repair all the time. It evens out later on, though, especially as you unlock other attacks. Case in point, I used to have 3 weapons that I needed to repair in every town visit, but by about level 16ish, I had 1 main weapon that only got down to about 50% durability, with less frequent town visits. This is a beautifully done, rock-solid (no crashes or glitches at all on my system), visceral zombie basher. It's DEFINITELY better with friends, but I even enjoy the single player campaign. If there were no release day issues, I firmly believe this game would have over an 8 user score. Expand
  25. Nov 9, 2011
    Platform: PC.
    Platform: PC.
    Graphics (Details on highest): 9/10. Only notices some glitches in the form of clipping. Otherwise beautiful. Audio (5.1): 8/10. In the city, i found myself always tense because I of the zombies off somewhere else that I knew were going to destroy me.My only dislike it the slim audio track of the characters and the poor voice acting overall. The environmental audio pushes this poor feature away, however.
    Controls/Navigation: 7/10. No real complaints. I did have to rebind a few keys to make it more my style, but that was easy enough. My only complaint about it is the game obviously being created for console gamers because of the menu navigation. I refuse to give more than a 7 to lazy developers who don't do a PC specific menu navigation and just give it the console version. Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2 are good examples of what developers should be doing.
    Plot:5/10. Wow, I'm immune to and doing chores for people. Very exciting... Mediocre at best.
    Game play: 7/10. Good action in the game. I like the ability to hack off limbs, grab various weapons that i can use without any skill, and the ability to kick your opponent to stun is a nice feature different from other similar games. Game play was very repetitive.
    Overall: 7/10. If you like Zombies and repetition, get it. If not, avoid. I like zombies.
  26. Mar 28, 2013
    Dead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thingDead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thing about the game is the sense of wonder and amazement as you walk around a high-detailed island. Attention to detail is everywhere and it genuinely gives the player a sense of realism and the integrity of the world and it’s inhabitants.

In the game there are lots of weapons to use from Axes to Metal Pipes to Brass Knuckles and more. In fact there’s a larger emphasis on melee weapons than guns. There’s also a lot of scavenging, along with repairing and upgrading weapons.

There are a variety of zombies from slow ones, to fast ones and a few boss ones here and there. The quests are varied and the backstory is well written. Combat is solid and feels enjoyable, particularly when swinging a heavy object or using a bladed weapon.

You can learn a variety of new skills, the different ones vary with characters, including regenerative health and a ‘fury mode’ which is charged by killing zombies.

In the standard game, you will be using melee weapons for the majority of the time, but the DLC Ryder White’s Campaign does grant the player much more in terms of gunplay. Overall this is a great game and definitely worth it’s price.
  27. Jul 26, 2012
    Overall a fun experience, especially multiplayer despite a dodgy progression system. Only thing i disliked was the terrible voice acting and accents other than Sam B.
  28. Oct 4, 2013
    Just a short review:
    Just a short review:
    I played this one solo, I imagine it would be more fun with friends. The game feels very much like Borderlands, which is a good thing, it takes away from the immersion but in return improves the overall fun. Level designs are beautiful and creepy, you have a paradise tropical island turned into a hell on earth with the zombie infection. The gore level in this game is one of the highest I have seen so far, if you like gore you will love it (I'm indifferent about it, but it really fits in Dead Island).
    During the game you level up and unlock skills very much like in Borderlands. You finish quests for NPC you met in-game, which often feel very stupid, for example bringing some guy 30 bottles of vodka, or bringing some girl a teddy bear she lost (this is an apocalypse, what's up with those people?). Those silly quests continue through the entire game, making it feel tedious and repetetive. The main plot is there, but it's just a background for all the combat you do. NPCs you meet also feel very lackluster, you will treat them only as quest-giving machines and nothing more. Devs tried hard to reproduce Borderlands feel in this, but they only partially succeeded, most dialogues are boring and full of crappy humor, not brilliant and funny like in Borderlands. I hate the main characters, I don't understand why each one of them has to be so unlikable...you have a black raper, a guy who acts like a total jerk and looks like a drug dealer, a hateful Australian chick who is just so full of venom you can't like her and a Japanese chick that's just meh but still unlikable.
    Overall this is a great game to gather with your friends (up to 3) and have some laughs, but solo it can be dull and boring. I'd give it a 6.5/10 but I can't because Metacritic won't let me.
    It's cheap enough to grab if you have friends to play with, otherwise avoid.
  29. Jan 25, 2013
    I played the goty Dead Island. I know nothing of how it was at release, what I know is how great this game is. Solid 100 hours of gameplay and satisfying action. Half horror half shooter. Its NOT an horror dedicated game but has its moments. Recommended.
  30. Apr 4, 2013
    Brilliant concept. Good story line. A lot of side quests. Only let down is the clanky feel of controls, especially when driving a car, 8 out of ten time you would find your self stuck because of a glitch. The graphics are not that good, but I'm not really bothered by it. One last thing is the co operative gameplay freezing issues. Towards the end of the game, My game froze 4 times.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.