6.8

1. Nov 4, 2014
    This is a pretty fun game to play, but after you beat the game once it's seemingly pointless to play again. You can keep all your upgrades and such but it's just virtually the same thing over, which is expected but it was never all that fun from get go. I don't regret the time playing the game, or anything so I'm basically saying you should try the game, but don't set very high expectations.
  2. Sep 28, 2014
    This game has hardcoded aimassist on PC! How could anyone give it more that 0?!!
    I don't even want to mention other technical dificulities with this game....
  3. Sep 12, 2014
    this was a good fun game especially with disciplined co-op play (playing with douchy-strangers on open mic can suck). it incorporates quite a few genres: zombie-survival fps (L4D-style) and ARPG loot/treasure hunting and crafting. the different characters/skill-sets make this game very viable for multiple playthroughs and the open-world concept with decent enough graphics make for athis was a good fun game especially with disciplined co-op play (playing with douchy-strangers on open mic can suck). it incorporates quite a few genres: zombie-survival fps (L4D-style) and ARPG loot/treasure hunting and crafting. the different characters/skill-sets make this game very viable for multiple playthroughs and the open-world concept with decent enough graphics make for a generally enjoyable experience. Expand
  4. Aug 13, 2014
    Dead island is one of those games made to play with someone else ideally with a mic. How ever played by yourself or without a mic and you will find a sub-standard experience. During my solo play through i spent around 14 hours completing the story and and a hefty amount of side content. The side content falls on the flat side as many are the same repeated fetch quest formula the "go overDead island is one of those games made to play with someone else ideally with a mic. How ever played by yourself or without a mic and you will find a sub-standard experience. During my solo play through i spent around 14 hours completing the story and and a hefty amount of side content. The side content falls on the flat side as many are the same repeated fetch quest formula the "go over the and bring it back". The story fails to deliver the previously promised emotional story from the fantastic trailer as the characters are far from deep. Also the four main characters could of been borught down to two as Logan and Purna abilities don't vary much and the same goes for the other two. Despite all these negatives there are some positives as i said before played with friends is the only way to play as it gives us a gaming experience that rivals borderlands. The skill tree is the rpg element of the game and is a welcome addition to the tired zombie formula and lets you power up different zones such as a special attack and strength. Also there are no shortages of things to do even if most of them get repetitive completion to 100% would take a hefty amount of time. Also there are no shortages of places to visit from a rough urban area filled with gangs and zombies to a jungle and more the island is huge

To summarize dead island is a fun game meant to be played with friends but playable by yourself
  5. Jul 9, 2014
    Sure, it has some bugs here and there, but this is only a minority of a well-rounded game. The story is a little boring at times, but the game compensates for this by allowing you to leave the story altogether and focus your sick mind on forging together weapons of much carnage. Not one of the best zombie games, but it is good.
  6. Jul 1, 2014
    It started out okay, there was a story going on, but then it takes a sharp turn and crashes. Real early in the beginning main storyline quests tell you to go do some 'side' quests. Movement is sluggish, trying to strafe while moving makes you slow to a crawl. The weapons break way too fast. Random enemies that are far stronger than anything else around that without a ranged weaponIt started out okay, there was a story going on, but then it takes a sharp turn and crashes. Real early in the beginning main storyline quests tell you to go do some 'side' quests. Movement is sluggish, trying to strafe while moving makes you slow to a crawl. The weapons break way too fast. Random enemies that are far stronger than anything else around that without a ranged weapon leaves you running in circles. The mouse sensitivity defaults way too high and when you adjust it the mouse moves too slow when you enter the menu. There is very little point to have a level system in a game if you're going to just make everything scale with you. It's a low quality PC port. Expand
  7. Jun 29, 2014
    The game is fun for the first few hours, but the story gets very predictable very fast and progresses very slowly, the player characters aren't that interesting and the gameplay gets very stale very fast. There are a few effective ways to deal with zombies, and a lot of ineffective ways to do it, you end up doing the same for every situation.

the graphics are pretty and the gameplay

the graphics are pretty and the gameplay flows pretty well if you look away from the repetition.

Mediocre game, fun for a few hours, doesn't have much replay value.
  8. Jun 24, 2014
    Dead Island might seem like another zombie game, but it's not. It's sunny outside, your character runs like an idiot, and that's what makes this game different.

Once again, the added value comes from the mutliplayer experience, as you can get all together in car and break some zombie bones on the way. It's a bit buggy but it's not ruining the game at all The storyline is not the best

The storyline is not the best one, but it's decent, and some parts of the world are really challenging. It's horror, rpg, action, range and melee. I love it !

The weapon crafting is nice, even if you have to repair your weapons twice during the missions, but you can create pretty much everything and you find new weapons all the time to replace the old ones.

Conclusion : Forget the bugs, forget the sensation of unfinished game, this is fun and you know it !
  9. Jun 20, 2014
    Loved the game. Great graphics, gameplay, and storyline. The vehicle driving is well done as well.
    There is a long and short campaign that merge the stories at the endgame.
    There is a long and short campaign that merge the stories at the endgame.
    The long campaign is the main storyline featuring one of 4 characters. Every level is detailed and lengthy, but not boring. Even the side quests (technically the grinders) move smoothly as the collection rate for necessary items isn't high at all.
    The short campaign follows a law officer trying to find his wife, and eventually meeting up with the 4 survivors from the main storyline.
    The ending has a twist.
    One any difficulty the game is still challenging. Ammo, and carry space, are realistically done, and there is a surplus of good weapons to be found. I didn't want the game to end, but felt satiated and satisfied when it was finished.
  10. Jun 9, 2014
    Dead Island Is a mix between Borderlands and Left 4 Dead! The graphics are good despites the glitches that occurs often in the game! Also It is mostly made for Co-Op, If you play alone you will get to act 2 and also bored to death! Otherwise, play with 3 of your friends online and you will have a lot of fun! I recommend it for any fans of zombie games!
  11. May 24, 2014
    I would have given the game a higher score if it didnt have so many bugs still till this day. Love the game but the developers took too many shortcuts with the game and ruined it in certain areas. But i get which direction they wanted the game to head towards but just couldnt do so.

Overall, its been 2.5 years and I still love the game.
  12. Apr 11, 2014
    This is the worst piece of dogpoo game i have ever played. The combat is dull as a turd and the stamina system is totally messed up. There is no balance or fun in this "game" and you loose all interest as soon as you boot the "game" up. There is no real tutorial and you have to figure everything out yourself, and that really sucks. The leveling "progression" system is also total bullocksThis is the worst piece of dogpoo game i have ever played. The combat is dull as a turd and the stamina system is totally messed up. There is no balance or fun in this "game" and you loose all interest as soon as you boot the "game" up. There is no real tutorial and you have to figure everything out yourself, and that really sucks. The leveling "progression" system is also total bullocks and it serves no purpose other than to feel happy about leveling up. The Talents you can choose are really useless and idiotic.
    0 out of billion
    Would never play again... Ever...
  13. Apr 5, 2014
    It's an unfinished mess. Textures are dreadful, lighting is from 1998 and whoever signed of those menus has never used a computer before. That and the fact my character seems to be ice-skating make it all but unplayable.
  14. Apr 2, 2014
    Not as exciting as the trailer led me to believe. I like the open world, melee combat and beautiful lighting and water, but those were not enough to keep me hooked for more than 2 hours. There's a lot of map glitches and AI bugs. The story isn't very interesting... I thank The Walking Dead for spoiling me there lol. There's a lot of object pop-in and frame-stuttering even tho my fps is aNot as exciting as the trailer led me to believe. I like the open world, melee combat and beautiful lighting and water, but those were not enough to keep me hooked for more than 2 hours. There's a lot of map glitches and AI bugs. The story isn't very interesting... I thank The Walking Dead for spoiling me there lol. There's a lot of object pop-in and frame-stuttering even tho my fps is a solid 60. The brightness adjust screen is misleading. Bad support for surround sound headsets. I tried to enjoy the game multiple times, but I can't after a short period of time. It had high potential. I won't ever play it again, but I'll forever remember how satisfying it was to smack a zombie in the face with a boat paddle. Expand
  15. Mar 19, 2014
    A fun zombie-killing experience that has the right blend of difficulty, horror, and whimsy. It's not the best game - tons of glitches for one - but it is hours and hours of fun, great solo or in multiplayer. There are shortcomings of course: the sections where firearms are required get a bit tedious, and firearms themselves seem pretty weak when stacked up against the ridiculous amountA fun zombie-killing experience that has the right blend of difficulty, horror, and whimsy. It's not the best game - tons of glitches for one - but it is hours and hours of fun, great solo or in multiplayer. There are shortcomings of course: the sections where firearms are required get a bit tedious, and firearms themselves seem pretty weak when stacked up against the ridiculous amount of melee weapons you can get your hands on. There's also a fair bit of dumb design decisions in there, like making Alcohol an item that can take up a weapon slot, or having higher level weapon modifications available before the lower level variants. Despite that, the melee combat is both fun and challenging. The game holds up decently well, though it loses a bit of its charm in the later levels when things veer away from the combination of beautiful scenery with horrifying zombies. Still, it's not like it stops being fun, it just loses a little bit of that humorous juxtaposition.

All in all it's a great game, even moreso on the PC since it is HIGHLY moddable. Don't like some aspect of the game? There's probably a mod out there to change it.
  16. Mar 16, 2014
    Read some review before I started playing that said it borrowed a lot from Fallout.
    Having played the game for a couple of days I can agree to some extent.
    The problem is that it doesn't improve on anything compared to Fallout. The open world, isn't that open. You get the "You are leaving the playable area" whenever you try to explore places. Your weapon needs repair all the time. Bugs
    Having played the game for a couple of days I can agree to some extent.
    The problem is that it doesn't improve on anything compared to Fallout.
    The open world, isn't that open. You get the "You are leaving the playable area" whenever you try to explore places. Your weapon needs repair all the time. Bugs and glitches even though I'm playing the final patch. Repetitive as hell. So far I've not encountered any enemy that's not a zombie, probably never will. Driving controls is probably the worst I've ever experienced.
    Still, there are some fun parts. The sunny beach environments is a nice alternative to most games gloomy caves.
  17. Feb 19, 2014
    Apesar da críticas ruim é um ótimo game e recomendo. Os usuários que deram notas ruins são fanboys do Left 4 Dead que estão com inveja porque o Dead Island é tão bom quanto ele.
  18. Feb 12, 2014
    Well,, The Graphic is Incredibly welldone and the Combat system with those zombies is thrilling I just loved it,, It is the best FPS Zombie horror genre game I ever played
  19. Feb 7, 2014
    Game is boring, boring and boring. Did I mention that is boring game? Basically you encounter zombies. There and everywhere. Graphics is pretty bad and I'm really not into graphics. Rather design. Design is bad. Audio is even worse. I've played this game for 13 hours and I won't be coming back. Ever.
    Game play: 5/10 Not that bad for first two hours.
    Graphics: 3/10 Many effects, bad
    Game play: 5/10 Not that bad for first two hours.
    Graphics: 3/10 Many effects, bad design. And effects are bad, I don't like blooming my eyes.
    Audio 2/10 Seriously, I was considering giving this 1/10

Overall 4/10
  20. Jan 12, 2014
    A pretty good game. It brought a new and exciting feel to the zombie slasher games we see today. Sure there were bugs here and there like the walk thru doors bug in the city. Over all i had fun
  21. Dec 30, 2013
    I run a high end laptop that is capable of playing all the new titles in the market (Lenovo Y-410p).

Dead Island just gives me a blank screen, and despite numerous attempts to correct this through forums, and support, this game has not been playable for me.

I highly discourage you to purchase it, and encourage you to seek an alternative zombie game.
  22. Dec 20, 2013
    This is not exactly a game with an open environment, as there is quite a bit of railroading going on. The voice acting is mediocre at best and the game looks and plays very much like a poor console port. There's all kinds of glitches, like sound fragments restarting over and over or sounding way too close. Or puddles reflecting like perfect mirrors until you get a feet closer and theThis is not exactly a game with an open environment, as there is quite a bit of railroading going on. The voice acting is mediocre at best and the game looks and plays very much like a poor console port. There's all kinds of glitches, like sound fragments restarting over and over or sounding way too close. Or puddles reflecting like perfect mirrors until you get a feet closer and the reflection disappears. The controls are stiff and feel like something from a decade back.

The setting is not bad, but hardly original. Far Cry with Zombies pretty much sums it up. Except that Far Cry is a better game for its execution and mechanics. If you absolutely must have zombies in your game and you like it to be set in a tropical paradise, Dead Island might be your thing.

The crafting is a nice idea, but a few dozen bland adjective to distinguish item quality, a workbench that accepts dollars to upgrade items, only allowing 7 slots for weapons but dragging around a truckload of junk to upgrade them with, etc. All of this makes it feel very poorly thought through. Fallout, Tomb Raider, Far Cry, they all did a better job of it. Sure, there's a lot of variety in naming and simple looks, but in the end it's still a wrench with a damage number that gets a bit higher.

Healing is similarly silly you have to ingest insane amounts of snacks, fruit and energy drinks to deal with the mutilation inflicted on you by the zombies and every single one forces you to sit through a boring animation with annoying sound effects. As a game mechanic it's no fun and the realism is on the level of Serious Sam; but unlike Serious Sam, it takes itself too seriously and can't decide between zany and serious. It ends up picking the worst of both worlds.

Dead Island reminded me a lot of Hellgate London and that's not a good thing. Who cares about game mechanics? Me, a gamer. There's plenty of titles out there that are more fun, have better zombies, better guns, better crafting, prettier islands and certainly more in the way of plot and voice acting. Unless you can get it for a few dollars on a crazy sale, I recommend against it. I paid 5 dollars, but I should have waited until it was 2,50.
  23. Dec 2, 2013
    Massive, Fun, and laughable characters is what Dead Island consist of. When I say massive I mean 40 hours plus massive. There are hundreds of side missions, many locations to find and exclusions notes which actually make for a better story compared to what the game attempts to portray. The Graphics are impressive and Banoi is a related destination for paradise holidaying. Basically theMassive, Fun, and laughable characters is what Dead Island consist of. When I say massive I mean 40 hours plus massive. There are hundreds of side missions, many locations to find and exclusions notes which actually make for a better story compared to what the game attempts to portray. The Graphics are impressive and Banoi is a related destination for paradise holidaying. Basically the game is about four main characters who have mutated an immunity which has given them the privilege to do 1000 fetch quests for pretty much everyone. The aim of the game is to get off this Island of hell and discover what actually is going on. Expand
  24. Nov 30, 2013
    I SO wanted to like this, I really did. It's a beautiful looking game with some fun gameplay to be had. It is however, ruined by a nonsensical, cliché ridden and disjointed story that is less half baked than completely uncooked, with voice acting that, while never awful is never truly convincing, either. There is also no sense of character development, with each cutscene (which barely evenI SO wanted to like this, I really did. It's a beautiful looking game with some fun gameplay to be had. It is however, ruined by a nonsensical, cliché ridden and disjointed story that is less half baked than completely uncooked, with voice acting that, while never awful is never truly convincing, either. There is also no sense of character development, with each cutscene (which barely even appear until the halfway point) showing the characters, both playable and no randomly changing their personality with no real explanation as to how or why, even within said scenes. The facial animations are at best laughable, while I did notice the zombies seemed to display a convincing look of rage, the characters the player interacts with always seem to look blank, even if they're supposed to be terrified for their lives. The combat AI for humans is also hilariously bad, with enemies directly in front of the player seemingly shooting right past them. The item break mechanic also seemed to make no sense, with the player going and seemingly paying a workbench to repair a weapon with cash, which given the large variety of items the player seems to run across makes it seem like a really lazy solution to an unnecessary feature. The combat was fun enough, although with zombies and specials pretty much spawning in the exact same place not minutes after the player cleared it out made it repetitive and quite frankly tedious.
    The item loot mechanic, which not only looks lifted from Borderlands was highly unsatisfying. I think this game had a lot of ambition, with some excellent ideas, a solid concept and a beautiful world but it was ruined by poor execution in many aspects of the game. It could have been something special but will probably be confined to the depths of mediocrity like so many other potentially great games. Still, it was better than Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.
  25. Nov 29, 2013
    I loved this game, and have played it and completed the game with all four characters. It is so confusing to me when I see a few bad reviews about this game, because I completely disagree. For me, I like the first-person view, the multiple weapons you can use and craft, the beautiful gameplay environment, and also when you search backpacks for money and other materials. That's always fun.I loved this game, and have played it and completed the game with all four characters. It is so confusing to me when I see a few bad reviews about this game, because I completely disagree. For me, I like the first-person view, the multiple weapons you can use and craft, the beautiful gameplay environment, and also when you search backpacks for money and other materials. That's always fun. I like how each character have their own separate personalities, and say witty things. Playing online is also fun, because sometimes you will meet people you don't even know, and join in their game, and help each other in hard missions.... First time I played this game, I was so freaked out. I got so consumed with the game, that's all I was ever doing, playing it, especially the City of Moresby. But learning your character's signature moves, and how to level up, which gets you more upgrades. Try it, it's the best game, to me, I ever played. Expand
  26. Nov 28, 2013
    Dead Island could have been a brilliant game, the gameplay is as smooth as you make it and the multiplayer is great if you have friends to play it with. The positive parts of the game are, unfortunately somewhat equal to the negative aspects. The adventure mechanic works well, with free roaming and having a level on the enemies, means you can grind up your level, or just kill for fun.
    The
    The most unfortunate thing in the game is the story, it feels like the writers just took a day off or something, and never finished it. This really shows in the last few levels, and final boss fight.
    A big negative for me, being an Australian myself, was the truly appalling and i'd even say racist American mockery of the way we speak. American voice actors play all the Australian characters, and only speak in the stereotypical way people see us.
    Regardless, get this game cheap, if you want intense multiplayer but don't care about story.
  27. Nov 25, 2013
    I found this game to be suprisingly excellent. Of course it does have its flaws and hicups, but they are extremely forgivable. I spent over 40 hours in this game, doing all the side quests, scavenging and doing the main story line, so it really gets a two thumbs up at that part. The coop is extremely fun, however the person´s animations that you play with seems kinda clunky, and also theI found this game to be suprisingly excellent. Of course it does have its flaws and hicups, but they are extremely forgivable. I spent over 40 hours in this game, doing all the side quests, scavenging and doing the main story line, so it really gets a two thumbs up at that part. The coop is extremely fun, however the person´s animations that you play with seems kinda clunky, and also the voice acting and overall acting of some characters is kinda derpy. Killing zombies is extremely satisfying and fun! One point i dont get is why everyone is complaining about performance issues, when i played it i had a phenom II 955 X4 and a hd 6870 and reached 60 fps static all the time with a tweaked ini file that pushed the overall pretty graphics/fov further then the normal. In the end i really like this game and it gets a super solid 8/10! Cheers Expand
  28. Nov 20, 2013
    The truth is, I really wanted to like Dead Island but unfortunately it’s just not what I expected… The constant barrage of boring collection missions, an absolutely awful FOV which makes me feel sick after around half an hour playing, a weapon crafting/upgrading system which truly boggles my mind (I hate RPG/Strategy-esque things) and a really rather unattractive game in general (maybeThe truth is, I really wanted to like Dead Island but unfortunately it’s just not what I expected… The constant barrage of boring collection missions, an absolutely awful FOV which makes me feel sick after around half an hour playing, a weapon crafting/upgrading system which truly boggles my mind (I hate RPG/Strategy-esque things) and a really rather unattractive game in general (maybe it’s just the port)! I just couldn't find much too like about Dead Island, even killing zombies just wasn't that satisfying (it felt very repetitive) despite the sheer volume of weapons… I also didn't really understand the focus on money in the title; why should we be concerned about money in a zombie invasion; that's just contrived… Overall, I just found it a rather flawed and boring game! Expand
  29. Nov 18, 2013
    This game is hard to review, I love it but I have to review it in a unbiased way, even though I have put 150 hours into it. You can play as four different characters, Sam B., Logan, Purna, or Xian. All play pretty much the same but with little changes in rage mode and the skill tree. They are each equipped with a back story and their own expertisim (Such as Purna is the gun expert). TheThis game is hard to review, I love it but I have to review it in a unbiased way, even though I have put 150 hours into it. You can play as four different characters, Sam B., Logan, Purna, or Xian. All play pretty much the same but with little changes in rage mode and the skill tree. They are each equipped with a back story and their own expertisim (Such as Purna is the gun expert). The story is very poor, you are on an island with zombies trying to get off. There is multiplayer, and it is fun. The graphics are very nice, and the lighting is well done. The combat is okay, with randomly generated weapons. These weapons can be fun to use, but you got to repair them.... With money? That is dumb; Guns are scares and so is ammo. The voice acting is okay, but nothing to praise. But the best part of this game? Is just killing stuff. Scratch the part were is said "The combat is okay" it is awesome! You can chop of individual limbs, throw weapons, go into a rage, shoot stuff, loot stuff. On the note of looting stuff that is the main thing of the game, looting. You can find items through out the game with RPG stats, which you can upgrade, and you use them or sell them to get better stuff. STUFF stuff stuff stuff. You can pick up miscellaneous items (That don't use inventory space) and use them to upgrade weapons, and to sell/use for quests. This game is okay and I can't say much more about it. But it is strange, I love this game! Expand
  30. Nov 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The graphics are really nice. The way you finish off zombies is awesome for the first hour or two. For me, Dead Island was only playable when I had friends who I could quest with.

There isn't a sense of danger or dread that you really should feel in a zombie game. It's more action and gore than surviving. That's what really ruined the game for me. With zombie games I really want to feel like every encounter could be my last. I want to feel a sick tingling in my stomach every time I open a door or walk into an open area. Had Dead Island been about Aliens then the action would have been welcomed and understood, but the idea of you can't get infected so you have to save the survivors is a weak plot choice and a worthless use of enemies that could have been something much more.

Then there is the quests. A needless addition to this game. Why insert a mechanic into a game that hinders immersion and story? The quests are boring and will have you traversing the same places back and forth. Go here, get this and come back. Now go a bit further than the last time and get this and come back. Now go past the way you came and get this and come back. They've taken a mechanic that works great in MMO's and forced it into a pseudo-zombie action killathon.

All that being said, this is still a decent game. If you have a few friends who are willing to whittle a weekend away then I think you will find a certain enjoyment here. If, however, you want a genuine game that forces you to constantly learn and adapt then try something else.
  31. Nov 3, 2013
    This game is really only fun with friends. With someone there, the many bugs and glitches are pretty funny. But when playing alone, you find yourself muttering "the trailer promised something better..."
    The combat is bad. You see a zombie. You kick it in the leg and hit it with a baseball bat.
    The leveling system is pointless. Why level up if the enemies level up with you? But among the
    But among the stupidity, if you just forget about the game's pricetag and what the trailer promised, Driving around is really fun.
  32. Oct 27, 2013
    I adore Dead Island, It might be a little on the clunky side but basically what you have here is a Bethesda style game which has optional multiplayer where you beat the crap out of zombies with baseball bats that have nails in...
  33. Oct 4, 2013
    Just a short review:
    Just a short review:
    I played this one solo, I imagine it would be more fun with friends. The game feels very much like Borderlands, which is a good thing, it takes away from the immersion but in return improves the overall fun. Level designs are beautiful and creepy, you have a paradise tropical island turned into a hell on earth with the zombie infection. The gore level in this game is one of the highest I have seen so far, if you like gore you will love it (I'm indifferent about it, but it really fits in Dead Island).
    During the game you level up and unlock skills very much like in Borderlands. You finish quests for NPC you met in-game, which often feel very stupid, for example bringing some guy 30 bottles of vodka, or bringing some girl a teddy bear she lost (this is an apocalypse, what's up with those people?). Those silly quests continue through the entire game, making it feel tedious and repetetive. The main plot is there, but it's just a background for all the combat you do. NPCs you meet also feel very lackluster, you will treat them only as quest-giving machines and nothing more. Devs tried hard to reproduce Borderlands feel in this, but they only partially succeeded, most dialogues are boring and full of crappy humor, not brilliant and funny like in Borderlands. I hate the main characters, I don't understand why each one of them has to be so unlikable...you have a black raper, a guy who acts like a total jerk and looks like a drug dealer, a hateful Australian chick who is just so full of venom you can't like her and a Japanese chick that's just meh but still unlikable.
    Overall this is a great game to gather with your friends (up to 3) and have some laughs, but solo it can be dull and boring. I'd give it a 6.5/10 but I can't because Metacritic won't let me.
    It's cheap enough to grab if you have friends to play with, otherwise avoid.
  34. Sep 30, 2013
    BAD GAME!

I have put 20 hours on this game, the game has interesting story BUT it sucks as hell, i had to uninstall the game because of the endless annoyance it has. 1 Major problem for me, FEELS LAGGY! the game feels extremely laggy even i have +120 fps. 2 Mouse movements, in the menu the mouse is extremely slow. 3 No option to disable the head bobbing. 4 Combat system sucks!
    BAD GAME!

2 Mouse movements, in the menu the mouse is extremely slow.
    3 No option to disable the head bobbing.
    4 Combat system sucks!
    5 No proper AA, AA seems doesnt work or has poor effect even on max settings
    6 Bad interface.

I wish it worked as smooth as L4D series but forget that, the combat system makes you break your keyboard because theres nothing in combat system to learn, just hit hit hit, and hit and dont forget to hit again but for sure the zombies will hit you before you even reach them...

Anyway 0 out of 10.
  35. Sep 25, 2013
    All of my Romero fantasies rolled into one. There's no shopping mall, but the tone, atmosphere and level of immersion in Dead Island is incredible. Can get a little repetitive later on with the over-population of zombies in some areas, and some (not all) fetch-quests are somewhat boring, but excellent, bloody stuff nonetheless.
  36. Sep 19, 2013
    This hell looks just like paradise. One of those games that can be played over and over again. Definitely not a perfect game (many bugs, physics is appaling, But damn it's really addictive fun. Nice vacation. 84/100
  37. Sep 17, 2013
    A fun zombie shooter, with a great weapon shooter, a console port so graphics are not great, but it does make up for that with hilarious weapon specials. 7/10, good entertainment value and re playability.
  38. Sep 10, 2013
    Maybe Dead Island was a disappointment when it came out, but apart from the bugs and some of the unimaginative side missions this game was amazing, the places you can go and explore where awesome,
    scavenging money, weapons, and food hasn't been so fun before, this game I would say it's very underrated. This game is a must, especially if you have a friend to play with.
  39. Sep 6, 2013
    The story is boring and stupid, the gameplay is dull and repetitive. Zombies respawn so you can't completely clear the island (which would be a pretty good motivation to keep playing this game a little longer). There are no skills for which you would crave and look forward to gaining another level. Quests are uninventive but sometimes yield something quite good as a reward. Overall, theThe story is boring and stupid, the gameplay is dull and repetitive. Zombies respawn so you can't completely clear the island (which would be a pretty good motivation to keep playing this game a little longer). There are no skills for which you would crave and look forward to gaining another level. Quests are uninventive but sometimes yield something quite good as a reward. Overall, the game isn't worth any sighnificant amount of money or time to be spent on. Expand
  40. Aug 30, 2013
    One of the most boring, pointless, broken production I've ever played. The feel of "why am I doing this" flows within this game all the time. Single or co-op, it's a terrible waste of time and nerves (technicaly broken). Combat is clunky and unbelieveably exploitable, maps are straightforward terrible, quests are all about BRING ME THIS OR WE WILL DIE (eventually: click this there). One ofOne of the most boring, pointless, broken production I've ever played. The feel of "why am I doing this" flows within this game all the time. Single or co-op, it's a terrible waste of time and nerves (technicaly broken). Combat is clunky and unbelieveably exploitable, maps are straightforward terrible, quests are all about BRING ME THIS OR WE WILL DIE (eventually: click this there). One of the worst zombie and co-op titles. Expand
  41. Aug 24, 2013
    This game reeks of mediocrity and CONSOLE PORT, not undead. From the first loading screens you know you are dealing with the kind of quality you would expect from a bad Playstation 2 title. That is what this game basically is. Terrible, low res environments and models. Terrible animations. Poor controls. Wierd control mapping (The F key opens things now? What's wrong with the E?) This gameThis game reeks of mediocrity and CONSOLE PORT, not undead. From the first loading screens you know you are dealing with the kind of quality you would expect from a bad Playstation 2 title. That is what this game basically is. Terrible, low res environments and models. Terrible animations. Poor controls. Wierd control mapping (The F key opens things now? What's wrong with the E?) This game also has a bad camera, with no zoom out or peripheral vision so it is extremely tedious constantly spinning about to see what is on your flanks, because the ambient sound is TERRIBLE, and there are no aural queues as to when zombies are nearby. The voice acting writing, level design and character leveling are all pretty poor. If a game is visually horrible and the controls are bad, how much fun can it be? NOT MUCH. Believe the 350+ negative or yellow scores and doubt the green ones! Vastly inferior to Left for Dead 1 and 2. AVOID. I got the GOTY version for $5. I paid too much for this

42. Aug 7, 2013
    I'd say this game is similar to boarderlands in the reguard that it is far more fun when you are playing with someone, but at the same time if you are interested in the survival story of a zombie apocolypse then this game will also be right up your path.

The opening I love and the lyrics are stuck in my head, even though I don't like rap that much and when getting to the character selection you get a detail on what their speciality is (american's skill is throwing, chinese woman's skill is sharp weapons, black guy's skill is bludgeoning weapons and black girl's skill is guns.) and you get to learn about their past and who they are as they narrate their backstory to you. It also gives you a option to stop yourself if you mis-clicked and you aren't stuck with a character you didn't want to play as.

Weapons break after so many uses and different weapons are more resistant. Guns have no durability so won't break. So far I've attained mods and many other collectables over the island.
  43. Aug 3, 2013
    The game was absolutely terrible. I have to say this is first boring game I have ever played that put me to sleep...literally.

The combat is so tedious and the game has way to many bugs that it feels unplayable. Boring fetch quests, forgettable story and bland characters, there is nothing positive I can point out in this game to give it a higher score than a 0.
  44. Jul 26, 2013
    Dead Island was just... unfinished it seemed. The recycled enemies. The boring combat. The down right stupid story. The characters. It was... just terrible. I can't do anything but complain about this game.

The story... well... uhh... it's there. It sucked but... it's there... right? I mean seriously half the time I didn't even know there was a story. I don't even remember any of the

I don't even remember any of the characters. None of them had an impact on me.

Graphics and visuals were below average. I never seen something like this at the price it cost ever. Except for the water which was oddly the most detailed thing in the game.

Gameplay was just down right atrocious. The hit box for some melee was just awful and they want me to jump and hit too? Yeah no. Controls well... it handled well but again... with the combat being so spotty you can't really say it controlled well. Multiplayer CO-OP made it a tad fun as all my friends and I laughed at all the horrible things in the game and cracked jokes.

OH BOY WAS THIS GAME HARD! If you're looking for a challenge look no further than this! This game's poor hit box and controls and overall boring game play just makes everything a god damn challenge.

Would I recommend this game? NO! DO NOT TOUCH THIS!
  45. Jul 20, 2013
    There's something really satisfying about all of the close combat fighting in Dead Island. Sure the game is a bit buggy and the UI isn't great, but nothing gets your heart pounding quite like turning a corner and finding a suicider in your path. Although the quests can become a bit tedious towards the end, I still enjoyed my time with this game.
  46. Jul 19, 2013
    If you like zombies you can't go wrong. The survival horror feel of this game may possibly be the best I ever experienced. Smashing your way through zombies in first person with baseball bats and machetes just feels great. Some moments of the game are really intense and really made me feel that zombie survival couldn't be done any better than this game did it.
    Though this game does not
    Though this game does not shine in places like story or characters, it does not need to. The world and gameplay make up for it.
    My biggest complaint about this game is a serious issue with the throwing mechanic. If you do not play Logan, who specializes in throwing skills, you may never notice this at all. But occasionally, thrown weapons glitch out and vanish. After 60+ hours in the game, and spending my entire savings on fully upgraded and modded new weapons only to have them both vanish within 2 minutes of leaving town I rage quit for a few months.
  47. Jul 5, 2013
    You should play on the beautiful island resort. Smart hotels and bungalow, pools, bars, palm trees and beaches. Game is very pleasant from the visual point of view. All components of world around are traced very carefully, and the main thing by a svdokhnoveniye. Myrrh of game not so empty (as for the island embraced with an unknown infection). Zombies constantly wander about the island,You should play on the beautiful island resort. Smart hotels and bungalow, pools, bars, palm trees and beaches. Game is very pleasant from the visual point of view. All components of world around are traced very carefully, and the main thing by a svdokhnoveniye. Myrrh of game not so empty (as for the island embraced with an unknown infection). Zombies constantly wander about the island, you always risk to come across others survived, and nobody guarantees that the meeting will be pleasant to you. Even if anybody isn't present nearby, you never feel lonely, from is far loud breath of the zombie is distributed, and you is strained you wait from what party there is this creature... Besides an atmosfernost the game world is interesting by the interactivity. Many subjects it is possible to pick up, pump over, combine them among themselves and to make other pranks. Quests which you receive from minor characters almost always are rather original and are taken place with pleasure. Plus in game it is possible to have fun not only passing missions. It is possible to drive on jeeps and to press the zombie, to investigate world around and it is simple to play the fool. Especially cheerfully to do it in cooperative with friends. This game for certain has shortcomings, but I didn't find them... I claim that Dead Island game obligatory to passing! Expand
  48. Jun 29, 2013
    Got the GOTY version for me and my friend. We really had a good time playing this in cooperative. I would have got bored if I played this game by myself: no funny chatting by the microphone, jokes, teamwork, etc

The environments/zones that you play have a nice atmosphere and pretty graphics. Upgrades are simple. You have 3 upgrades trees but the abilities to upgrade sometimes get

Upgrades are simple. You have 3 upgrades trees but the abilities to upgrade sometimes get repetitive. You may have to upgrade some abilities you won't use/need to unlock the ones you need or consider important.

If you are looking for a FPS this isn't the game you want to buy. There are just shotgun, pistol and rifle but limited ammo, as you can craft some. You can only carry a max of 50 pistol ammo, 60 rifle ammo and 20 shotgun ammo (with the exception of one character who can upgrade this). You use melee weapons almost all the time you play. They can be modded, with blueprints you find through the game, to do more damage.

Poor pc port. I tried to use the keyboard but it was really uncomfortable. The key bindings were ridiculous, had to remap them. Menues were made for consoles. However, playing the game with a Xbox controller as I did the whole time was really comfortable, but again, It must be with a keyboard too.

Really fun game to play with friends. If alone, you may not have the full Dead Island experience.
  49. Jun 21, 2013
    Dead Island is one of the best games of zombies, u cant' say u know about zombie's games if you did't play Dead Island, the IA of the game is very good, and the graphics are the best in this kind of games. Have a lot of fun the online. You will love to pass the game many times. The DLC made this game very complete. I Love Dead Island.
  50. Jun 18, 2013
    There are some things that this game does pretty well. One of those things is the constantly uncomfortable and suspenseful atmosphere. Hearing a faint zombie groan can give you a mini panic attack as you frantically look around trying not to get blind-sided by a sprinting zombie.

The game got progressively less entertaining as it went along for me, however. The game was great in the beginning because of the atmosphere that I mentioned and because it requires you to survive on scarce resources which makes it feel like you are struggling to survive. Once you start leveling up, however, the game quickly loses that feeling of what a real zombie survival situation would feel like as you gain a whole bunch of almost super-human abilities and weapons with special powers, and start facing zombies that are genetically mutated behemoths.

To me, this is the kind of game that needs to be realistic to be entertaining. The appeal of a zombie game should be the survival aspect of it.
  51. AWG
    Jun 10, 2013
    Things from this game I loved: the very-big-but-not-TOO-big open world, the characters, the fact that missions are not against the clock, the friggin' champagne sidequest, the simple-but-yet-complete leveling system, the human enemies, Xian's sweet arse.
    Things from this game that could be improved: the graphics.
    Things from this game I hated those damn sewers missions. Almost 100
    Things from this game that could be improved: the graphics.
    Things from this game I hated those damn sewers missions.
    Almost 100 hours of solid fun and a solid 8 overall.
  52. May 23, 2013
    If You like zombie games You have to play this one. I had really great time with Dead Island. Crafting is interesting, graphics are nice, music is acceptable. If You close Your eyes for lots of small stupidities You will enjoy this game. Gameplay is nice and makes You play many hours without stoping. It is also very important to play Dead Island before starting Riptide.
  53. May 19, 2013
    G35 users will have cracking sounds throughout the whole game. Gameplay and quests are repetitive. Combat is unchallenging. There are three skill trees but only one useful one. Decent a survival horror game atmosphere is missing most of the time. The ending was even more absurd than I anticipated, crowned with the pointless death of the only good character of the game.
  54. May 10, 2013
    I played the fully patched GOTY edition and what a letdown it was! Technically okay. I accepted that it is essentially a zombie slasher game so I ignored that it has little to no guns. Honestly I hoped it would enrich the slasher aspect but I came out empty handed. There`s basicly no difference if you hit`em with a hammer, a combat knife or an axe. They fall on the 2nd or 3rd hit orI played the fully patched GOTY edition and what a letdown it was! Technically okay. I accepted that it is essentially a zombie slasher game so I ignored that it has little to no guns. Honestly I hoped it would enrich the slasher aspect but I came out empty handed. There`s basicly no difference if you hit`em with a hammer, a combat knife or an axe. They fall on the 2nd or 3rd hit or occasionally lose some limbs and that`s it. There`s nothing detailed about the bodies that the zombies are. Granted they moan and growl like they should but killing them gets boring quickly. Most of the quests and sidequests are generic but sightseeing on a beatifully made island resort compensates some of that. It is fun to go around on feet seeing how people got eaten, some got barricaded and wait for help. The story is also pretty generic but keeps a good pace right to the end. Not that the characters you meet are interesing 0 they are blend as it can be. Don`t mind the crafting table it is just there to repair your current items. Most of the stuff that may be bought there you find on your own. I did not like the minimap which didn`t make finding paths to quests any easier. The music is..well, just there. It is a 6 out of 10 for me (just above the "meh" grade), I tried to appreciate it but I didn`t. Other than that I`m not a zombie slashers` fan but I hear opinions from such fans that they liked the game very much. Hence, the game will be fun mostly to them and remain a new but boring concept to the rest. Expand
  55. May 8, 2013
    This game has great potential, I like the open world RPG ,LvL system and skills, Crafting weapons its cool,the art work and world design are great! but I think that there is a unbalanced weapon system and there is so poor weapons to find in the world and a short variety for the ammo the same, if they fix that and put like x20 more Zombies and add something like chainsaws, M60This game has great potential, I like the open world RPG ,LvL system and skills, Crafting weapons its cool,the art work and world design are great! but I think that there is a unbalanced weapon system and there is so poor weapons to find in the world and a short variety for the ammo the same, if they fix that and put like x20 more Zombies and add something like chainsaws, M60 flamethrowers, etc, I would give an A+ and a 10 :D Expand
  56. Apr 26, 2013
    Fair game, nothing better than that. The graphics are bad and the multiplayer system are a little weird. I play something like 10 hours and dont have so much will to return to play that game.
  57. Apr 25, 2013
    Dead Island is an amazing game in it's mechanics and graphics. It also has a lot of content. It's a free-roam RPG focused on zombies. Those 3 sentences SHOULD sum up Dead Island, but unfortunately, there are shoehorned shooter sections, bland story, and odd dialogue in the mix. For what Dead Island focuses on, (which is killing zombies in creative fashion and leveling up), you can lookDead Island is an amazing game in it's mechanics and graphics. It also has a lot of content. It's a free-roam RPG focused on zombies. Those 3 sentences SHOULD sum up Dead Island, but unfortunately, there are shoehorned shooter sections, bland story, and odd dialogue in the mix. For what Dead Island focuses on, (which is killing zombies in creative fashion and leveling up), you can look past the minor things. I really like it for what it was made for, and you should too. Now go chop off some arms and smash some skulls. Expand
  58. Apr 24, 2013
    The game is a bit to arcadey for me, it is relatively easy to kill zombies which is plus but it relies mostly on "special" zombies for the difficulty, you rarely ever overrun and therefore you never really get scared.

Honestly its all about upgrading, repairing weapons for whatever specialty your character is good at which depends on which of the 4 characters you've chosen. It's got alot of good locals but honestly once you reach the sewer its lasts forever, its the biggest sewer level of any game ever and that's disturbing that the creators thought of that as a good idea. Artificially lengthening if I ever saw it. The game is roughly 21-23 hours so it's not like it needed this.

The creators of this game really did not spend enough time refining the mechanics, enemies glitch through walls and weapons disappear, enemies attack you through other enemies, you get scratched alot but never bitten. Because its easy to push a zombie off you...
    The cutscenes keep shoving all the characters in eventhough you're playing alone or with 1 friend. They could have edited the cutscenes by simply taking away some lines of dialogue and the character model and some of the camera angles...

The ending is ridiculous.. he can fly away, hes planted bombs, hes just takin the piss now and risking his life unnecessarily by trying to shoot you and magically spawning fast zombies...

+visceral combat
    +pretty long at ~22 hours
    +coop
    +upgrading weapons and attaching weaponmods

-+Story isn't all that impressive but some OK parts
    -Not scary
    -Buggy and glitchy
    -Lazy cutscenes that keep shoving all the characters in
    -Worst Australian accents I've ever heard
    -You can't kill any quest giving humans
    -Terrible ending

It's one of those games that implied greatness if you watched the CGI trailer, but on delivery its rather mediocre with only the only real effort put into it was for the most simplest gameplay mechanics.
    For most people thats good enough, for me I expected more.
  59. Apr 23, 2013
    If you happen to enjoy campy horror films, Dead Island is a game for you! The game is far from perfect, but the fun factor keeps me coming back for more zombie bashing mayhem. Also, bring along a few friends and (as most games) the game gets even better! Looking forward for more games in this series!
  60. Apr 19, 2013
    Very entertaining game of which you can play with friends, the random matchmaking system is also very well made and really encourages players to go out there and meet other people. The side quests can get very entertaining and driving through a city full of zombies with your friends spraying from the back of the car because you want to secure the box of juice you just looted for no reason.Very entertaining game of which you can play with friends, the random matchmaking system is also very well made and really encourages players to go out there and meet other people. The side quests can get very entertaining and driving through a city full of zombies with your friends spraying from the back of the car because you want to secure the box of juice you just looted for no reason.

Different from left 4 dead series, Dead island's open space means you don't need to be in a rush to finish the game. Looking forward to the sequeal
  61. Apr 7, 2013
    This game is amazing. I've played through it singleplayer and both co-op. The co-op was the. Most fun with 4 players although 2 players was also good. An amazing open world game a lot of custumizable weapon selection, and fun (but repetitive) gameplay, this makes for a good experience. I can't wait for the sequel coming out this year.
  62. Apr 4, 2013
    Brilliant concept. Good story line. A lot of side quests. Only let down is the clanky feel of controls, especially when driving a car, 8 out of ten time you would find your self stuck because of a glitch. The graphics are not that good, but I'm not really bothered by it. One last thing is the co operative gameplay freezing issues. Towards the end of the game, My game froze 4 times.
  63. Apr 3, 2013
    7 comme son prix Noel sur steam.
    Une vraie ambiance de fin du monde se dégage de cet open world, que ce soit la musique, les décors.
    Les deux premiers chapitres sont vraiment très réussis, les deux suivants un peu moins bons. On regrettera aussi et surtout d'être le toutou des survivants et de devoir leur rendre service en permanence, écartant donc du coté RPG voulu une vraie liberté
    7 comme son prix Noel sur steam.
    On regrettera aussi et surtout d'être le toutou des survivants et de devoir leur rendre service en permanence, écartant donc du coté RPG voulu une vraie liberté de choix.
    Dommage car avec ça, ce jeu aurait pu être légendaire.
  64. Mar 28, 2013
    Dead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thingDead Island is an interesting game which sets itself apart from other zombie games by putting the player on an island resort in broad daylight, setting it apart from Left 4 Dead or Resident Evil. Like in Borderlands, you travel around the map completing quests, assigning skillpoints and helping team-mates. There are four unique characters who each have their own bonuses. The best thing about the game is the sense of wonder and amazement as you walk around a high-detailed island. Attention to detail is everywhere and it genuinely gives the player a sense of realism and the integrity of the world and it’s inhabitants.

In the game there are lots of weapons to use from Axes to Metal Pipes to Brass Knuckles and more. In fact there’s a larger emphasis on melee weapons than guns. There’s also a lot of scavenging, along with repairing and upgrading weapons.

There are a variety of zombies from slow ones, to fast ones and a few boss ones here and there. The quests are varied and the backstory is well written. Combat is solid and feels enjoyable, particularly when swinging a heavy object or using a bladed weapon.

You can learn a variety of new skills, the different ones vary with characters, including regenerative health and a ‘fury mode’ which is charged by killing zombies.

In the standard game, you will be using melee weapons for the majority of the time, but the DLC Ryder White’s Campaign does grant the player much more in terms of gunplay. Overall this is a great game and definitely worth it’s price.
  65. Mar 27, 2013
    Graphics and visuals are not all that great. Best thing I saw in this game was the water. Story is just awful. I never once knew what the hell went on and I never will... this was awful. Characters were awful... it was just... awful. Gameplay Movements and camera were all good but the combat... yeah that was horrendous. That's actually part of the difficulty. Hitting something. Wow if IGraphics and visuals are not all that great. Best thing I saw in this game was the water. Story is just awful. I never once knew what the hell went on and I never will... this was awful. Characters were awful... it was just... awful. Gameplay Movements and camera were all good but the combat... yeah that was horrendous. That's actually part of the difficulty. Hitting something. Wow if I was ever looking for a challenge this game is it. It is defiantly a challenge and I found it to be very hard. I enjoy a good challenge every now and then so this was defiantly a plus. Length/Replay I never got to the end. I couldn't. It was too BORING. It was just so unbelievably boring! Summary I did not enjoy this game one bit at all. It was too boring... too dull... nothing really new it's zombies with melee weapons now. I really enjoyed the challenge though its what got me as far as I went. I never say no to a good challenge but all the terrible things were weighing it down far too much that I caved and gave up. Waste of my money and time. Expand
  66. Mar 25, 2013
    "Dead Island" is one of those incredibly fun games you often return to, just for the heck of it and to kill time. Even though I couldn't care less about the people or the story, I had an incredibly fun time doing quests, crafting weapons and dismembering many different zombies! If you're a fan of the zombie shooter genre, it's one you should really give a go! If you're into real survival"Dead Island" is one of those incredibly fun games you often return to, just for the heck of it and to kill time. Even though I couldn't care less about the people or the story, I had an incredibly fun time doing quests, crafting weapons and dismembering many different zombies! If you're a fan of the zombie shooter genre, it's one you should really give a go! If you're into real survival games, not so much :T Expand
  67. Mar 24, 2013
    Got this as a gift and tried to enjoy both the single player and the coop. After about 5 hours I gave up. The island, however tropical, is not the nicest play environment. There are _no_ open zones, all it is is a chain of constrained, little spaces and short walkways. The characters look outdated and are not believable. Partly because of cheap texturing, partly because of horriblyGot this as a gift and tried to enjoy both the single player and the coop. After about 5 hours I gave up. The island, however tropical, is not the nicest play environment. There are _no_ open zones, all it is is a chain of constrained, little spaces and short walkways. The characters look outdated and are not believable. Partly because of cheap texturing, partly because of horribly outdated animations. The voice acting is either overdone or lackluster in most places, making this feel like a B-movie instead of a blockbuster. And I find the menu system counter-intuitive and it's design very ugly! All of this could be forgiven if there was fun to be had in combat or during missions, but like so many other reviewers here, I found all of it boring. Also, checking the Steam stats for this game, at this time only 30% of those who started the game actually finishes it. That says it all. Expand
  68. Mar 13, 2013
    i enjoy this game but what puts me off is the huge amounts of melee weapons and these seemingly imposible boss zombies. what this game needed was an option to make more guns drop. so you could choose blanced melee or balanced guns for 2 types of game play
  69. Mar 1, 2013
    The trailer dragged me right into a pre-order which now that I think back to it was a very stupid decision. The game has 4 characters that all have the same intro which really sucked and just seemed like the developers were just being lazy. At first the combat is really cool but it quickly becomes very repetitive and tedious. The zombies are not much of a threat as I found myself justThe trailer dragged me right into a pre-order which now that I think back to it was a very stupid decision. The game has 4 characters that all have the same intro which really sucked and just seemed like the developers were just being lazy. At first the combat is really cool but it quickly becomes very repetitive and tedious. The zombies are not much of a threat as I found myself just running passed them and occasionally jumping on top of a car so that I could catch my breath or just shoot them down so they stop pestering me. The biggest mistake about the zombies is they can not break down doors instead they just walk or run into it which causes a horrible clipping bug that just looks hilarious. The side missions were really boring because they were all the same, it seemed to me that there were only three types of side missions and that was fetch,kill,escort. I later moved onto co-op but it was just like playing the game on single player as my buddy just ran past zombies with me and we actually had more fun crashing are car into stuff but that quickly got boring due to the horrible physics engine. Speaking about the physics engine, everything in this game seemed to be a static object.

Overall this game can be fun but gets very boring very quickly so it can easily be skipped.
  70. Feb 26, 2013
    The game suffers from severe bad design. The levels are not laid out in any sort of logical manner, instead more resembling what a real-world location would look like this sounds great until you realize that real world locations are designed for usability, while a level is designed to be a challenge. The net result? Confusing level design where stuff is just lying around randomly.

The

The controls are poor, the game is slow-paced, the size of the areas makes completing quests a pain... the list goes on.

The sad thing is, I didn't like Borderlands that much, but this is way worse than Borderlands Borderlands at least had logical level design and somewhat interesting monsters.
  71. Feb 17, 2013
    It is a disgusting,buggy,repetitive console port.The game is barely even working.It feels unfinished.Graphics are out of date,the missions are boring,the core fighting system makes killing zombies a chore more than anything.Exploring this half finished island is completely useless.
  72. Feb 12, 2013
    great game, with replayability from different characters to select. although the overall main story is likely the same, the personal stories are different. i wished they would have delve further into each character's personal stories tho. its a 1st person survival horror game that takes some time to get use to the controls. some of the levels also feel a bit like walking in circles, wellgreat game, with replayability from different characters to select. although the overall main story is likely the same, the personal stories are different. i wished they would have delve further into each character's personal stories tho. its a 1st person survival horror game that takes some time to get use to the controls. some of the levels also feel a bit like walking in circles, well since its on an island i guess. not really many, terribly infected monsters to battle unfortunately. only mindless zombies and the tougher zombie. i think left 4 dead is better than this. it can get boring at times when you wander around too much doing the same thing collecting things, saving people, killing zombies...over and over. the story is decent but nothing memorable to me. Expand
  73. Feb 10, 2013
    I just finished Dead Island after putting in about 45 hours and that says something considering that I find the game very repetitive at times. There is barely any story in it and the missions are often tedious fetch quests.
    Having said that, the melee combat system in is game is probably the best. The weapons used in this game have weight and bashing the heads of the infected is very fun.
    The infected(zombies) are very well done with both walking and running types. Also a few boss types.
    The graphics in the game are beautiful on highest resolutions. I think the locations in the game are very well done and realistic.
    If you are into Survival Horror or love Zombie games, you really owe it to yourself to pick this game up.
    Like I said I do find that it gets repetitive but at the same time I had a lot of fun. Enough fun to want to finish the game. I give this game a solid 7.5. It does not get a higher score from me due to faults I mentioned earlier in this review.
  74. Feb 2, 2013
    This is a very violent product. A lot of blood, a lot of stress because the threat is everywhere. You can join anyone who is around the map. The multiplayer's system is original. The difficulty is correct and fights are very dynamic. Enjoy
  75. Jan 25, 2013
    I played the goty Dead Island. I know nothing of how it was at release, what I know is how great this game is. Solid 100 hours of gameplay and satisfying action. Half horror half shooter. Its NOT an horror dedicated game but has its moments. Recommended.
  76. Jan 15, 2013
    Scenery looks great, characters, a little less than stellar. The real problem lies with the level up system, there is no point when the zombies level up with you every inch of the way. Guns are another problem, they are useless against zombies so choosing the character with the gun perks is a complete waste, a mistake i made my first time through. There are bugs but that's not what ruinedScenery looks great, characters, a little less than stellar. The real problem lies with the level up system, there is no point when the zombies level up with you every inch of the way. Guns are another problem, they are useless against zombies so choosing the character with the gun perks is a complete waste, a mistake i made my first time through. There are bugs but that's not what ruined this game for me, boring quests a broken leveling system and a lack of any kind of story makes this sub par. Expand
  77. Jan 13, 2013
    Nonetheless, I reach Dead Island. This game is filled with zombie-murdering. You want a big tough colored guy that can hit people with things? You got it here. You want a guy that can chuck things twenty feet, hit the zombie, and come back to him like boomerang? You got it here. You want a chick that can murder zombies with bullets? You got it here. There are five characters total in thisNonetheless, I reach Dead Island. This game is filled with zombie-murdering. You want a big tough colored guy that can hit people with things? You got it here. You want a guy that can chuck things twenty feet, hit the zombie, and come back to him like boomerang? You got it here. You want a chick that can murder zombies with bullets? You got it here. There are five characters total in this game, choose one, and team up with your friends and kill some zombies, and complete quests!

Onto some other parts of the game here, the game is not ALL about doing quests. You can trade with friends, you can buy things, sell things, team up with others and just have some fun, ect. I haven't gotten too too in depth with the story just yet, but eventually I will. If you love killing zombies, you will definitely like Dead Island. There is no doubt about it. Highly recommended.
  78. Jan 8, 2013
    Dead island is a beautiful game but it has nothing special - nothing that would make me go back to it. From beginning to end - it's the same thing and the flaws are much more apparent than all the good things. The paradise island you are on is absolutely beautiful - but you can't appreciate it when the gameplay is boring, there are numerous bugs and stupid decisions - for example you areDead island is a beautiful game but it has nothing special - nothing that would make me go back to it. From beginning to end - it's the same thing and the flaws are much more apparent than all the good things. The paradise island you are on is absolutely beautiful - but you can't appreciate it when the gameplay is boring, there are numerous bugs and stupid decisions - for example you are located in a tropical holiday resort but the devs decide that you have to spend a large part of the game indoors - or even better...roaming around sewers. Guests can be found anywhere but they aren't to special either. "Bring me 10 of something" doesn't exactly make for riveting gameplay and even some of the more complicated guests are still boring. The game really doesn't make me feel anything. Just hit zombies with melee weapons or shoot them with guns...Nothing feels rewarding and nothing is really interesting.
    Anything is at best just decent and the rest is just boring or bad.
  79. Jan 7, 2013
    It is yet another survival "horror" that is not scary at all. The game puts you in the shoes of 1 of 4 pre-made characters with unique playstyles and backstories and you can't customize them at all. Now, why in these games where only character development occurs in a handful of cinematics that are hours apart and in some random comments during gameplay, I will never understand. The gameIt is yet another survival "horror" that is not scary at all. The game puts you in the shoes of 1 of 4 pre-made characters with unique playstyles and backstories and you can't customize them at all. Now, why in these games where only character development occurs in a handful of cinematics that are hours apart and in some random comments during gameplay, I will never understand. The game focuses primarily on a fun melee combat system where the point is disabling the enemy by attacks to the head or limbs, combined with lots of gore and dismemberment, you have good gameplay experience that gets boring by the end of the game, depending on the player. Miraculously, there is no automatic health regeneration, and despite the fact it's regained by eating snacks and drinking soda, the limited health and stamina make you want to be careful and precise in combat. As far as RPG elements go, there are rather simple skill trees that slightly alter how you play. The world is fairly open, it comes down to decent story quests and generic sidequests, with very little replay value. Graphically the game looks good, even though it overuses bloom effects and animations are on the downside. If you play with your friends with mics you are bound to have a good time, yet if you play alone or with uncommunicative strangers it will quickly get annoying. Expand
  80. Dec 26, 2012
    Un jeu un peut difficile à comprendre au début, mais après quelque mission on assimile le fonctionnement et le jeu devient très intéressant. Assez long niveau durée de jeu, seul bémol pour moi c'est le multi qui s'active automatiquement et je suis plutôt un joueur solo. Sinon cela reste un bon jeu et sans problème en tout casUn jeu un peut difficile à comprendre au début, mais après quelque mission on assimile le fonctionnement et le jeu devient très intéressant. Assez long niveau durée de jeu, seul bémol pour moi c'est le multi qui s'active automatiquement et je suis plutôt un joueur solo. Sinon cela reste un bon jeu et sans problème en tout cas sous Steam, pas de bug. Expand
  81. Dec 25, 2012
    Ive only played the shooter chick and found the game rewarding. The best part of the game for me is the death animations of the enemies. I played a lot of Left 4 Dead 2 censored and still enjoyed it and looking back now and I wonder what I missed out on now that I'm enjoying Dead Island with all its gore enabled.

The monsters are okay, there are special infected but when you learn the

The monsters are okay, there are special infected but when you learn the type of elemental attack each one doesn't like you can dispatch them pretty quickly. Monster standing in water = electrical attack, and so on.

One of the odd things that strike me about DI is the scaling of character levels. What I mean is how monsters scale with you to the point that leveling up almost seems pointless. You don't seem to get a great deal more powerful because of this, in fact if weren't for a few entertaining skills and items it would be completely pointless. This for me is a drawback but not a game killer. I like to feel that I'm getting more powerful and I thought this game could have done a better job at that.

There are 4 Acts to this game which really need to be explored and largely can be while performing many and I mean a **** tonne of the games side quests. I can see the side quests being the largest negative for many people as they are almost all fetch quest which gets very tiresome. But the maps are very well done which I really enjoyed exploring and its worth playing thru to at least the jungle (Act 3) just to see what I mean.

One of the big positive for me in this game has to be the itemization. I love good itemization and I think this one has it. There isn't any real reason to care about the quality (exceptional item) of an item rather the prefix to its name is what really matters. The crafting system called mods is pretty cool and keeps me looking for more items to tinker with. Crafted items have some pretty nifty death animations too which has been, well alright I guess. I just enjoy getting those criticals rolling out in succession and watching the **** burn. xD

*spoiler* And that's pretty much it except to say there is a final boss battle and its pure lame crap. Its some dude that's a kind of cross between 2 special monsters, whoop diddy do and I thought the story sucked but I've always preferred good characters to stories anyhow which this game is also short on.
  82. Dec 23, 2012
    Graphics are crap i mean the Skins and textures were neglected really bad even the weapon models, the game mechanics are not comfortable to play with imho. The game was on sell for $6 so i didn't lose much money, Though i remember when it was like $50. The game is linear and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone, look elsewhere like left 4 dead/2 heh even the older games have better graphics.
  83. Dec 22, 2012
    Story:9/10-Brilliant.
    Gameplay:9/10-Brilliant.
    Graphics:9.5/10-Brilliant.
    Music:8.7/10-Fantastic.
    Replay Value:8.7/10-Fantastic.
    Overall:9/10-Brilliant------An Amazing Open world game which will keep you entertained for a long time.
  84. Dec 3, 2012
    Dead island is a good game, but have lots bugs in the game meybe after fix that problem whit bugs but i like that game ,and i put 9/10,and peaple do more videos about that game it is fanny game killing zombies in that game is very very very good efects and i like to say play that game dont say that is crap because you got crap PC and youb say that is crap
  85. JEK
    Nov 24, 2012
    6.8 user score? Are you kidding me? This is one of my favorite games. Good scenery, good graphics( so-so), no problem with the controls, good story. You can brutally kill zombies with any weapons. It's open world and you can create your own weapon. If anybody 's complaining about the bugs you can easily fix it with some patches. But that's not right rating this game very low because you6.8 user score? Are you kidding me? This is one of my favorite games. Good scenery, good graphics( so-so), no problem with the controls, good story. You can brutally kill zombies with any weapons. It's open world and you can create your own weapon. If anybody 's complaining about the bugs you can easily fix it with some patches. But that's not right rating this game very low because you have problems installing it etc. This is 10/10 for me. I'm looking forward to Dead Island: Riptide. But for the meantime, I'm planning to buy Far Cry 3. Expand
  86. Nov 20, 2012
    This game is awesome! Although the characters are slightly stereotypical. But you can forgive that with the open world, weapon selection, the physics, and the gore...
  87. Nov 19, 2012
    Dead Island is an FPS action-RPG that focuses heavily on melee weapons. It is also a console port which is noticable from the horrible interface that makes the game too frustrating to play for anyone who bought a PC to play PC games and not console-junk. You go around carrying far too many melee weapons to manage, performing quests for cutboard characters that hide out in cardboardDead Island is an FPS action-RPG that focuses heavily on melee weapons. It is also a console port which is noticable from the horrible interface that makes the game too frustrating to play for anyone who bought a PC to play PC games and not console-junk. You go around carrying far too many melee weapons to manage, performing quests for cutboard characters that hide out in cardboard buildings from zombies. Graphics are sort of nice but the fighting is sub-par. If you're going for realistic melee combat, copy Mount & Blade. I can't be bothered writing anything else about this game, it manages to make co-operative zombie-survival boring and that's pretty hard to do. Waste of money and time unless you're 14 and think console games aren't made with only hard dollars in mind. Expand
  88. Nov 5, 2012
    Most of the bad reviews are old and complaint about bugs. Well, i played in end 2012, all bugs fixed and with a 360 controller. I must say that i do enjoy the game a lot. 20h or a little less of gameplay sticking with main quests. In top settings the game looks awesome and it is refreshing to play a first person slasher considering all the boring first person shooters around. Hands downMost of the bad reviews are old and complaint about bugs. Well, i played in end 2012, all bugs fixed and with a 360 controller. I must say that i do enjoy the game a lot. 20h or a little less of gameplay sticking with main quests. In top settings the game looks awesome and it is refreshing to play a first person slasher considering all the boring first person shooters around. Hands down the best zombie game i have played. Expand
  89. Oct 29, 2012
    After ten hours of Dead Island, I'm losing interest.
    Too much scrounging, searching, sneaking, retreating, and repairing.
    I thought it was kinda cool to have a mission-based game in a zombie setting. It is cool that you can upgrade weapons several times. What's killing my interest is the nagging weapon maintenance. The wear is remotely believable for the wooden weapons. But something
    After ten hours of Dead Island, I'm losing interest.
    Too much scrounging, searching, sneaking, retreating, and repairing.
    What's killing my interest is the nagging weapon maintenance. The wear is remotely believable for the wooden weapons. But something like a heavy pipe wrench or a crowbar would "in reality" split a thousand zombie skulls with at most cosmetic damage to the weapon itself. It gets old gathering money constantly and delaying quests with trips to a repair bench. How does a workbench take money, anyway? If Dead Island didn't have this weapon maintenance aspect, I'd give it a 7.
    Throw in healing, or maybe less damage from zombie punches, and I might say 8.
  90. Oct 15, 2012
    This game might be a little gitichy here and there, but when you move further in the story, playing alongside your friends and killing zombies not only with knifes and baseball bats but also with guns or modded weapons, this game becomes a masterpiece. The story is, as I find it, very entertaining and easy to follow, although other people find it really bad. I have been playing this withThis game might be a little gitichy here and there, but when you move further in the story, playing alongside your friends and killing zombies not only with knifes and baseball bats but also with guns or modded weapons, this game becomes a masterpiece. The story is, as I find it, very entertaining and easy to follow, although other people find it really bad. I have been playing this with two characters singleplayer and me and my friends are still playing the coop part of the game to truly finish all quests. One thing I know, I'm so gonna preorder the next chapter! Expand
  91. Sep 25, 2012
    Claro es: no es una historia brillante, pero es realmente entretenido por lograr la sensación de agobio al no haber lugar donde no exista la posibilidad de ser atacados por zombis. Al ser un juego pensado en el combate cuerpo a cuerpo se abona la posibilidad que nos ofrece de adquirir objetos del entorno y convertirlos en armas (las armas de fuego son escasas) y dejar aClaro es: no es una historia brillante, pero es realmente entretenido por lograr la sensación de agobio al no haber lugar donde no exista la posibilidad de ser atacados por zombis. Al ser un juego pensado en el combate cuerpo a cuerpo se abona la posibilidad que nos ofrece de adquirir objetos del entorno y convertirlos en armas (las armas de fuego son escasas) y dejar a decisión del jugador si es prudente o no entrar sólo o acompañado a una zona. La dificultad del juego es alta, dada la cantidad de estos seres que no dudarán en atacar en masa y hay variedad de ellos, cada uno con cualidades propias de su tipo. Recomendado para jugarlo en cooperativo (hasta cuatro jugadores). Expand
  92. Sep 10, 2012
    Perhaps the best most realistic zombie game ever made.

The hit detection is more advanced than any other game out atm. Example: you chop a zombie in the arm with a machete, the arm gets chopped off, after that he only hits your with his other arm, and if you chop off his other arm he will try to bite, headbutt and kick you. Although the multilayer isn't awesome the single player puts
    Perhaps the best most realistic zombie game ever made.

Although the multilayer isn't awesome the single player puts L4D2 single and multilayer to shame. There is no unlimited health or unlimited ammo, you will never feel like your running though the same map made with some POS map editor (Hammer) along the exact same path over and over and over just to get a better score. Its different every time; you have somewhat of an open world scenario where you can trade weapons with other survivors at hideouts. If you shoot a zombie in the hand you wont kill him. You can play this game how ever you want.
  93. Aug 25, 2012
    cut a long story short: this game has a lot of potential but ultimately it falls flat on it's zombie nose. the mission system is broken. soemtimes the map marker does not work so you do not know what do to next and have to to do the ENTIRE MISSION all over again. this is completely unacceptable in a 2011 release. moreover the inventory system sucks so hard and was so obviously designed forcut a long story short: this game has a lot of potential but ultimately it falls flat on it's zombie nose. the mission system is broken. soemtimes the map marker does not work so you do not know what do to next and have to to do the ENTIRE MISSION all over again. this is completely unacceptable in a 2011 release. moreover the inventory system sucks so hard and was so obviously designed for consoles instead of a PC. last but not least the story doesn' go anywhere (well at least not after having played for 7 hours!) Expand
  94. Aug 22, 2012
    I got this game on discount and I got interested in this game for a while. I installed it and finally started the game...and now after 20 hours and more of gaming, I really notice why this game wasn't all that greatness they mentioned in the past. The best way to describe this game is that it's a hybrid between Skyrim/Oblibion and Borderlands, even though it doesn't completely work at itsI got this game on discount and I got interested in this game for a while. I installed it and finally started the game...and now after 20 hours and more of gaming, I really notice why this game wasn't all that greatness they mentioned in the past. The best way to describe this game is that it's a hybrid between Skyrim/Oblibion and Borderlands, even though it doesn't completely work at its finest. However there are positive things: I actually like the fact that you're a survivor against a zombie infection and the fact that you're basically stuck on a island and you have to kill any zombie you cross even though the scare factor completely dies because this island is never in the dark and the zombies never stop coming, meaning that you won't have any growing tension or unexpected meeting. The 4 characters aren't extremely different with the exception of their main weapon skills (blunt weapons,blades, thrown weapons and guns) but they differ enough to be interesting to play all of them. There's also a story but I hardly followed because I was focusing on the game itself and the quests (like in any WRPG). The island isn't "huge" but it's big enough that you'll take some time to explore it all, especially when you need to find materials for making your modified weapon, which is a nice addition...but it's extremely hard to make those weapons. However, I do have 3 big complaints in this game and, to me, they are BIG flaws that ruins my game. A lot. First of all, the controls are clunky...I understand they tried to make this as much realistic as possible but I'm pretty sure I can move and walk AND fight better than them! The combat for instance is very harsh because you don't have a huge range, understandable since your main weapons are melee weapons, but you don't feel in control of your swings and you can easily miss zombies because of the slow pace the characters have! Without mentioning that you can't parry (at least I never could, if there is one) and your dodge is hard to use and has a really weak range...plus it's useless since you need to be in melee range ALL the time and you'll only use it once in a while to avoid sudden attacks from the zombies. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but the controls aren't my favorite part here. And no, I can't try analog controls, so I can't say if that's good or not. Second: your energy never recovers in time....really? I don't get why I don't recover my health, especially when they just hit me with fists! Yes there are some zombies that hit with weapons and you'll sometime fight men with guns, but this is still a big problem because the zombies HIT HARD! I've died a lot of time because they can easily 3-4 shot me, and add the fact that you're always in numerical disadvantage, you cannot parry and dodge sometimes it's useless since some zombies can run faster than you you can see big problems on the way The only way to recover health is to eat and drink food or use first aid kits, which are rare to find but luckily not costy to buy, but I don't get why our energy never gets back with just resting or waiting (and no, it's not because we're infected): it basically says "gunshots can be easily recovered with few seconds of resting (the general fps idea), but fists? They hurt you more, so you need a lot of cheap food to recover!". I don't know, maybe I'm taking it too seriously. And third: the game seems a lot short: I've played for almost 23 hours and I'm at 70% of the game...and I've done PLENTY of quests, so that means that the game itself it's even shorter! Of course the game will be longer if you manage to do all the quests and the problems I've mentioned will disappear if you play in co-op, which is very well implemented, without mentioning that it makes the game a lot longer too, but even Borderlands had a longer main quest! It's still longer than the average game but my guess is that if you want to make it last long, you have to do quests or else it won't last very much, which is a pity. I liked the game though but It's not the best I've seen: it looks like an attempt to copy both Borderlands questing system and Oblivion combat, but making one weird hybrid that doesn't really shine in either side...so my advice is to stick with either those 2 games (which are ten times bigger also) or you can give this game a try if you want to play something different... Expand
  95. Aug 21, 2012
    I will never understand how people can so virulently rail against a developer for releasing a game with bugs. Granted, this game had some huge ones on release day (I hear), the sad fact is that most games nowadays are released earlier than they should be, and have bugs/problems. While I agree this should never have become the norm, giving a game a 0-2 because of bugs that were resolvedI will never understand how people can so virulently rail against a developer for releasing a game with bugs. Granted, this game had some huge ones on release day (I hear), the sad fact is that most games nowadays are released earlier than they should be, and have bugs/problems. While I agree this should never have become the norm, giving a game a 0-2 because of bugs that were resolved within days is going to do nothing but lead potential future buyers away from purchasing a fantastic game that they would love. ********************************************************************************************************* That's exactly what this is: A fantastic game. People that were initially expecting the game to be like Dead Island or Left 4 Dead may be disappointed at first, but if they can look past their expectations, they will find a true gem. The closest actual comparison to this game is a zombie-themed Fallout 3 on a tropical island. Personally, I think this is by far the best zombie game on the market. Individual zombies are relatively weak and easy to pick off, but large groups of zombies become serious threats REALLY quickly, and larger "thug" enemies require some strategy to kill, rather than simply more bullets. At the same time, if you are reckless and swinging your weapon all over the place, you will run out of stamina, and even small groups will be challenging. I honestly think the combat is amazing, and is just about perfect, except for the fact that the characters' "kick" command (default button is E, I think) is a little overpowered, and it's easy to keep medium groups of zombies stunned on the ground by spamming it. If they nerfed it, though, the game might become too difficult. ************************************************************************************************************** Starting out in this game, be prepared to have crappy weapons that you need to repair all the time. It evens out later on, though, especially as you unlock other attacks. Case in point, I used to have 3 weapons that I needed to repair in every town visit, but by about level 16ish, I had 1 main weapon that only got down to about 50% durability, with less frequent town visits. This is a beautifully done, rock-solid (no crashes or glitches at all on my system), visceral zombie basher. It's DEFINITELY better with friends, but I even enjoy the single player campaign. If there were no release day issues, I firmly believe this game would have over an 8 user score. Expand
  96. Aug 17, 2012
    I love zombie games. There is something fun about fighting against zombies that is better than fighting people. They're scary, they leap at you, they are gory, they don't have guns, they're usually slow and they make noise to announce their position.
    This game is an excellent zombie game. The graphics are beautiful, and the story is great. It's an open world island with fast travel points, quests, driving vehicles, lots of weapons (melee blunt & sharp, firearms) and a neat weapon upgrade/mod system.
    I haven't tried the multi-player yet, but it got good reviews as well.
    I had to give this a lower review though because it's got some horrible bugs that don't appear to be going to get fixed. Most notably, when you exit the menu from inventory/quests/skills, if you click the back/exit button it performs an attack (I guess since left click is also the attack). Well, this seriously sucks if you are holding a grenade (i.e. you just made one at the mod/upgrade bench) cuz you end up tossing a grenade against a wall 2 feet in front of you, and dying. Workaround: press escape instead of clicking. Another annoyance is the randomness of picking up new items. Sometimes they bump the current item out of your hand into your inventory. Most annoyingly - when you pick up alcohol (quest/mod component) sometimes it replaces your weapon and when a zombie charges you, you end up drinking it and getting drunk instead of chopping a zombie. Being drunk makes it hard to fight cuz you are wobbly and your vision is fuzzy.
    I assume these issues are due to a poor port from console to PC so things probably are better on consoles.
    All in all, if you like zombie games, you'll appreciate this one. You just have to train yourself to work around the issues.
  97. Aug 14, 2012
    Pros: Good graphics, fun melee combat, Borderlands-style weapon drops and class system, lots of quests and areas to explore. Cons: still buggy (August 2012) graphics, sloppy map design (i.e. I jump into inaccessable areas a lot), repetative gameplay. Fun if you like zombie survival, open world, and co-op games, and don't mind a lack of polish. P.S. This game is perfect forPros: Good graphics, fun melee combat, Borderlands-style weapon drops and class system, lots of quests and areas to explore. Cons: still buggy (August 2012) graphics, sloppy map design (i.e. I jump into inaccessable areas a lot), repetative gameplay. Fun if you like zombie survival, open world, and co-op games, and don't mind a lack of polish. P.S. This game is perfect for necrophiliacs, as there is a disturbing amount of half-naked zombies. =) Expand
  98. Aug 12, 2012
    Repetitive, **** rpg elements, and pretty much a CoD-like take on an army of zombies gameplay hacking and slashing through them.
    This game was promised to be a good RPG, survival zombie game. That promise was not delivered.
  99. gas
    Aug 6, 2012
    Bought during Steam summer sales, so quite nice price, im not very disappointed, the game is playable, its overall well made, the concept is good, at least as idea. The main issue in my opinion is that the game is boring and most of the situations are completely stupid.
    Its a sandbox game like fallout 3 or skyrim, but it lacks story, interesting zones, interesting enemies, character developing, weapons, sense of progression.. basically it lacks everything except zombies.
    Quests are not interesting and usually it seems they are written randomly by someone who never played a game in his life.
    Character development is very streamlined and poor, also the game lacks really common sense, as in example you save an NPC and carry him into the safe zone, then he starts to sell weapons to you, like he could import weapons on a zombie island or even if in case of a zombie apocalypse ppl still use money to buy stuff each other to fight them... A good concept ruined by really stupid developer choices.
  100. Aug 6, 2012
    I'm giving a 2 for the graphics and effort, but the core gameplay and game mechanics are horribly flawed. First, I get hastily introduced to random characters that are forgotten in the first minute, stumble around pointlessly, and struggle with the clumsy movement controls. Then, all of a sudden I am joined by random people since there is some kind of multiplayer mode enabled by default,I'm giving a 2 for the graphics and effort, but the core gameplay and game mechanics are horribly flawed. First, I get hastily introduced to random characters that are forgotten in the first minute, stumble around pointlessly, and struggle with the clumsy movement controls. Then, all of a sudden I am joined by random people since there is some kind of multiplayer mode enabled by default, something that I didn't even choose myself. Then we stumble around more, trying desperately to actually hit and do damage to pretty much anything. Now here is the real issue, I missed out on 90% of the story already. The other players rush around everywhere and activate all these different quests while I'm trying to figure out what the hell is going on. They skip all the dialogue so I have no idea what the quests were even about in the first place, and then this other guy has an electric sword while everyone is using sticks. Heck, I think I even missed a plane crash or whatever that noise was.

I just finished some random quest about a gas-station, and I've had enough of this game already. I don't even know what happened since the beginning of the game to this point other than the fact that "we killed zombies". Not much of a story there.

The game is just a jumbled mess. Movement is sloppy, gameplay is sloppy, cinematics/cut-scenes are sloppy, story is sloppy, game mechanics are sloppy.

The game is sloppy. Nuff said. Good thing I bought it during the Steam Sale.
  101. Sep 6, 2011
    Deep Silver and Techland have royally messed up for a major release Dead Island, released a DEBUG version, to fix it caused files to become corrupt and user progression to be erased.

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.