6.8

1. Sep 11, 2011
    After they made the first few patches and fixed the accidental release of the in-house dev version all in all its not too bad. The Player Characters themselves have Wonky and Strange Animations, but the Zombies are well animated. The graphics are good, The choice of weapons is decent. Little disappointed at the fact that there were so few guns. I love the idea of limited ammo and shotsAfter they made the first few patches and fixed the accidental release of the in-house dev version all in all its not too bad. The Player Characters themselves have Wonky and Strange Animations, but the Zombies are well animated. The graphics are good, The choice of weapons is decent. Little disappointed at the fact that there were so few guns. I love the idea of limited ammo and shots count but there's very few choices in guns. It has a few glitches mostly graphical, it is annoying though that all the dialogue in the game is centered around Co-op along with the Cinematics. If your playing solo it can be somewhat annoying and confusing seeing the other characters even though they arent with you.
    I did enjoy the game though. Story was pretty lame and quests were down right appalling as if they were written by 9 year olds. One such quest, "Were starving here! We need more food, Go to the gas stations and pick us up two boxes of Juice!" .... Um.... Ok..... Relevancy 0 Strange 1. Anyways if you can overlook the strange quest flaws its a good game to play-thru and then maybe shelve or sell.
  2. Sep 18, 2011
    In a nutshell: It's entertaining, gory, and addictive.
    In a nutshell: It's entertaining, gory, and addictive.
    Aside from that, it's hit-and-miss. The story-line is (quite frankly) missing almost entirely. This isn't the first game to put you in a quarantined area with unexplained zombies, give you a weapon and say "go to town," but aside from gathering supplies, you're never really given a reason for having to move from survivor camp to camp. If the summary is true, and you're trying to find a missing wife, then I apparently wasn't paying attention at all during the introduction, because I have no idea what that's referencing. This game has many bugs, and they can be crippling. Running V1.2, some of the bugs I've encountered include:
    1) I occasionally have to toggle between full screen and windowed and back to re-enable the sprint feature, which is crippling (It took me awhile to figure out something was definitely amiss)
    2) I lost a very powerful weapon into thin air after I had just spent a couple thousand repairing and upgrading it, which isn't crippling, but just plain disappointing
    3) A horrible, HORRIBLE UI port from what was PLAINLY a console menu to the PC. The mouse is incredibly slow on the menus, everything has to be clicked on because the arrows are very clunky, and some options are simply grayed out for no reason (usually because you have to have an Xbox 360 controller plugged in)
    4) Weapons on your "quick select" menu tend to be replaced by whatever you pick up off the ground, with the most popular being alcohol. This tends to result in irritation if you notice it in time, or at the worst, you find yourself charging into a fight and then quickly downing a bottle of Jack instead of slashing a weapon. Definitely not a fun brawl.
    This game is still fun, and definitely worth a rent for its sandbox environment, collectibles, upgrade and deterioration systems, weapon modifications, and the intense firefights (when you face human enemies). The zombie slaying doesn't really get stale, but it does lessen in excitement from the beginning of the game. As of where I am right now, I have seen about 5 different classes of zombies, and each definitely had their own unique attacks and corresponding player strategies I needed to use. A good rent (assuming you stick with the PC version, Xbox version might be better).
  3. Sep 8, 2011
    A review about a game is a criticism about the game itself, bug may come and go, usually at a game launch like this there's ALWAYS bugs. User that provide a score based on the technical issues should be banned from posting anything. Dead Island has a really creative approach to the whole zombie culture, the melee fighting system is well developed, the way the weapons are used, the goreA review about a game is a criticism about the game itself, bug may come and go, usually at a game launch like this there's ALWAYS bugs. User that provide a score based on the technical issues should be banned from posting anything. Dead Island has a really creative approach to the whole zombie culture, the melee fighting system is well developed, the way the weapons are used, the gore when bashing and/or cutting a zombie are phenomenal, the storyline is a little weak, but the fighting compensates for the game's shortcomings, Co-op style is a big weakness, they should have learned more from L4D, I would stick it out alone. I usually don't write reviews until I'm done with the game, but I felt is had to counter act the fake scores given by all the "I can't launch the game" morons. Expand
  4. Sep 6, 2011
    Like most people Dead Island's trailer pulled me in. From there i was excited, and decided to pre-order on steam. The night game goes live i let it run the opening day patch and than try to play. That is where i encountered my first hiccup, the game was incredibly fragmented. I am not sure if its my computer or the files, i have never had this issue before. Once i get in the game there wasLike most people Dead Island's trailer pulled me in. From there i was excited, and decided to pre-order on steam. The night game goes live i let it run the opening day patch and than try to play. That is where i encountered my first hiccup, the game was incredibly fragmented. I am not sure if its my computer or the files, i have never had this issue before. Once i get in the game there was some issues changing my graphic settings and such.. than i start playing. It was an amazing amount of fun, really engrossing, just a flat out great time. Yes there was the clipping issues i noticed a few times. Than all of a sudden when im driving around my game just crashes, and the night goes downhill from there.

Game Receives a 7.. and i feel i am being incredibly generous there. It is an amazing amount of fun but they release a game that to say its buggy really understates the point. Friday they are suppose to release a patch, so wait till after Friday to pick up your copy.
  5. Sep 6, 2011
    Alright let me just say first off that as of now this game is fantastic if you're one of the lucky ones it works well for but incredibly frustrating if you have the issues some other people have. Since there will be patches though, I'm only judging the core gameplay here because I'm sure it will improve as they fix it up. For me, this game has so much I've wanted in a zombie game where itAlright let me just say first off that as of now this game is fantastic if you're one of the lucky ones it works well for but incredibly frustrating if you have the issues some other people have. Since there will be patches though, I'm only judging the core gameplay here because I'm sure it will improve as they fix it up. For me, this game has so much I've wanted in a zombie game where it takes place in a large open world and supplies are realistically limited so that you really have to scavenge for supplies which encourages exploration. The combat in this game is a lot of fun and the gore from beating down zombies with blunt objects is incredibly satisfying and with the limb breaking it's also realistic. There's also a TON of sidequests and a lot of weapon mods to craft which will be taking up even more of your time. As far as graphics go, the island looks gorgeous and even with the bright sunny atmosphere, it managed to scare me many times with the infected screams and other ambiance. Only real flaws I've found with this game is that the coop seems rather broken as of now and the story and character development is subpar to say the least. I'd say this is a must buy AFTER it's patched up a bit. Expand
  6. Sep 6, 2011
    It seems that I was one of the lucky ones who managed to get his game running first try, was able to adjust the options to work perfectly on my computer and actually play it within 10 minutes (getting everything to the right balance). If you somehow become lucky to play this game, it feels like a cross between Left 4 Dead and Borderlands.
    Pros: - Fun concept - great combat
    Pros: - Fun concept - great combat - huge place to explore (good and bad to that) - Join others quickly

Cons: - Lame uploading on the dev's part - way to bright in some areas - iffy first few days - some classes unable to use full potential till later access to their weapons

Overall it seams like it's just a bit too early to judge the game. I have my faith in the devs to patch the issues that most people are having in less than a week.
  7. Sep 6, 2011
    If you are one of the lucky folks who have no problems running it, the game is a blast. Its no GOTY but it is tons of fun. I didn't enjoy it for the first 15 mins but after going back in I am absolutely loving it. If you are one of the people worried about losing progress, don't. I see it as an opportunity to try one of the other builds. Please ignore the irrational trolls who rated a 0If you are one of the lucky folks who have no problems running it, the game is a blast. Its no GOTY but it is tons of fun. I didn't enjoy it for the first 15 mins but after going back in I am absolutely loving it. If you are one of the people worried about losing progress, don't. I see it as an opportunity to try one of the other builds. Please ignore the irrational trolls who rated a 0 because it didnt work for them at launch. Also please disregard the 10's as anyone who cant find a single flaw is a fanboy. Expand
  8. Sep 6, 2011
    Iv played this game since it was unlocked on steam this morning and i cant stop. i dont know why people are trolling this game? i can run 1980x 1080x perfectly fine, maybe dont buy computers from bestbuy ? or for you Canadians Future shop. cause future shop is the red devil :) . The game is very fun thou the story is meh. bottom line you will have hours of fun with your friends just beIv played this game since it was unlocked on steam this morning and i cant stop. i dont know why people are trolling this game? i can run 1980x 1080x perfectly fine, maybe dont buy computers from bestbuy ? or for you Canadians Future shop. cause future shop is the red devil :) . The game is very fun thou the story is meh. bottom line you will have hours of fun with your friends just be sure to play coop Expand
  9. Sep 6, 2011
    I've only been playing this for a few hours. But put simply? My game of the year! Yes, there are a few bugs but so far, nothing game breaking. Controls are fine, environment are amazing. The only thing is the voice acting but I can live past that.
  10. Sep 6, 2011
    Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombie survival horror with item collection and character skill advancement trees. Its as If Borderlands and Dead Rising got together and had a baby, that baby would be dead Island. This game has rich four player co-op, simple yet effective story, a deep weapon crafting and character customization system. Do you love zombies? Exploration?Dead Island is a Open world, first person view, zombie survival horror with item collection and character skill advancement trees. Its as If Borderlands and Dead Rising got together and had a baby, that baby would be dead Island. This game has rich four player co-op, simple yet effective story, a deep weapon crafting and character customization system. Do you love zombies? Exploration? character advancement? item collections? co-op? then dead Island is a no brain-er. The only reason this game doesn't get a ten is due to a slightly bugged user interface that should be fixed this week with a patch.

I would like to add that Dead Island on a high end pc is the ultimate zombie killing experience. This version has no texture loading issues, great control and much better graphics over all.
  11. Sep 6, 2011
    This is a very good game. For all the funny youtube videos showing off the debug mode, it's less buggy than other open world games such as New Vegas or Oblivion, and has co-op to boot: especially important to note that this is not a single player game. You have that option, but you really need to bring a friend or three.

The plot isn't as paper thin as a title like Borderlands, but is

The plot isn't as paper thin as a title like Borderlands, but is still on the shoddy side; you won't mistake this for an Avellone venture. With gameplay this solid, though, the narrative sinking into the background while you and your friends are on voice chat suits it just fine.

The controls are slick, your actions feel purposeful. The melee combat is really well done, I was definitely impressed. This is all rather insubstantive so let me take you through a cool moment:

My friend and I saw this swole zombie by the edge of a pool full of bodies. I threw my cleaver at it, my buddy threw both his knives (and was then out of weapons). I moved in start wailing on it with my baseball bat, but it punched me and I went flying into the pool. As my character stumbled to his feet, the bodies in the pool got up.

I went into Fury Mode and started boxing them and my friend had to walk up to the big guy and pull his knives out of him - while he was still up and dangerous - in order to continue packing in the damage.

The game is full of things like this. I pre-ordered it Monday and it's been worth every penny.
  12. Sep 6, 2011
    Beautiful! This hell truly does look like paradise and feels like the best zombie slayer this year. The graphics are great and the game is incredibly easy to run! If you don't fall in love with the game play than you'll truly enjoy the rpg elements! Great game Play IT!
  13. Sep 6, 2011
    First off, I'm one of those 'poor' victims that have been left to play Dead Island on the PC with the 'developer' version or whatever the hell that was. After being linked to this metacritic thing and seeing how biased people's votes were, I just had to make an account myself to rate it for myself.

The game was quite nice even when there was obvious bugs/issues that literally consumed 2 hours for me and my friends in trying to get a single lobby going where all of us were in the same game. Of course after we got that out of the way, we only suffered minor issues such as graphic cards overheating and crashing someone's computer and crashing our game due to random things like, crashing into a female zombie with a truck. But overall, I found that the game had a huge potential. Its intended features/concepts are present but just left in a lackluster manner due to the known bugs/issues that was released on the first day for the US. So I say give this game a chance, and ignore the 'rage' from these people that are bringing this game's score down to as low as 4.4. Chances are you'll like this game since it offers a lot of fun and exploration, as well as replay value. Oh and in before massive negative votes on this review post from those same raging nerds that can't just go have a life and maybe return late in the evening to find a better patch---Or something, rather than wasting their time trying to defame a game after only a single cluster of issues (admittedly a huge cluster). Because don't get me wrong, they should have avoided all of this via quality assurances or something.

Was actually going to give this game a 8/10 or 9/10 because it was quite satisfying for me, excluding all the annoying bugs and the inability in 'push to talk' or having an easier way to arrange lobbies. But since the game's score has been shot down by angry nerds, I must give it a 10. Enjoy the game when it's fully patched.
  14. Sep 6, 2011
    Dead Island is suffering from the typical "First Day/Week Hiccups" Nearly every game is packed with bugs within the first week or so, I am going to be doing an early review on things. Dead Island is an extremely fun game, that is worth the money . Logging in and playing with a friend for the first time is a blast, as you hack and slash every zombie that comes your way and you alwaysDead Island is suffering from the typical "First Day/Week Hiccups" Nearly every game is packed with bugs within the first week or so, I am going to be doing an early review on things. Dead Island is an extremely fun game, that is worth the money . Logging in and playing with a friend for the first time is a blast, as you hack and slash every zombie that comes your way and you always scream "Ooooohhhh" whenever you slaughter a zombie. The co-op set up was very convenient, but lacked hints or a clue on when your co-op buddy can join you, after the Prologue your friend can join. Otherwise the co-op seems to really play smoothly and not suffer from any other issues that I came across.

Experience: I am a gamer who does not fully believe every "Professional" reviewer, I look through them and then try the game myself, and find that most of the time I enjoy it even if the review was abysmal. It all matters about the experience you have with the game. As I mentioned before I played with my buddy through the co-op system, and we had a blast. The game does not seem to get old, the hacking and slashing, the gore and the exploration is just a pure treat. Every swing and throw I have done was an experience I have never felt before in a game, the brutal contact you make with a melee weapon to a zombie is just satisfying and you can feel their head crunch and necks snap. Overall Dead Island is definitely an experience you'll remember for a long time, and especially with a friend, you'll be laughing a lot.

(re)Playability: Every gamer wants a game worth the money, and a game they can come home and enjoy hours on end, and this game is one of them. There are a TON of side-quests waiting for your acceptance and a vast amount of weaponry. There are weapon upgrade/repair tables around the world, which can be used for creating weapons, repairing weapons and upgrading weapons, and every single weapons has at least 3 upgrades giving you a chance to craft some crazy weapons and gather materials for blueprints and look for weapons. That's a lot of (re)playability there. Overall the (re)playability is very high, and I can tell that the game will offer another or...another play though, and I could tell there is too much to explore, and you won't be exploring it all on the first play through.

Graphics and Animation: When I first starting playing the game my first reaction was "Wow this look nice" Its a rare case to find an open-world game to look so beautiful. As a 3d Environment Artist for games myself, I study the game world (I know nerdy) and I just felt in love with the environment, it is very well done for a open-world game and they deserve two thumbs up, but one thing I noticed is that some zombies tend to look too "wrinkly" the normal maps on some enemies are a bit "over exaggerated"compared to others and seems that the normal infected look better than the bosses, which was kind of odd to me, but it is not too much of a deal. The lip-syncing is not very good, but its nothing to ditch the game for, and the cut scenes are "meh" The animations for the zombies are great though as they switch and run at you, there is one kind of zombie that I seriously acted real (if zombies were in existence of course) Overall the art in this game is well done.

Conclusion: As I mentioned this is my early review on things from what I experienced, and take what you want from this, but what I can say is Dead Island is getting some harsh reviews for things like: Glitches, story, lip-syncing, performance,etc" and this game JUST came out, I feel that it is quite unfair. The reason this is not a 10 is because of the rumors I heard on a Dev-build in which I figured because of the no-clipping, and some evidence of code that a steam user posted on the forums. This hopefully should be fixed, but I don't rely on that, as I mainly rely on my enjoyment and experience I had, and I already had an amazing experience with the game that is not even finished yet! Are you still debating whether to get this game or not? Well the comparison of "Fallout 3 with Zombies" is actually fairly true, it is really great. This game is the first game in a long time that I look forward everyday to play its the "I can't wait to get home from ____ to play this game" kind of feeling, and I haven't felt that in a long time. I don't blame anyone for waiting to get the game when things clear up a bit, but this is a must get no matter when you decide to play it. 9/10.
  15. Sep 6, 2011
    Great when playing with friends and do the co-op together. The game has a good atmosphere with a good character advancement tree + crafting. If you enjoyed Dead rising or Borderlands, you will enjoy this game.
  16. Sep 6, 2011
    Just because people are upset about bug on a release. . which happens with most games anyways. Doesn't automatically make this a poor game. Also anyone who says it's a port should have their ratings taken away because they don't know that it's actually not a port the pc just got the wrong version upon release. But it's still has plenty of fun in it.
  17. Oct 5, 2011
    What happened to PC games? At some point along the line did the developers lose their way? Did they all get together and just make games for the console and then port them to the PC without bringing along any of the options that PC gamers have been used to for decades? Dead Island was released initially on PC extremely buggy, which shows how much time and effort these companies spend onWhat happened to PC games? At some point along the line did the developers lose their way? Did they all get together and just make games for the console and then port them to the PC without bringing along any of the options that PC gamers have been used to for decades? Dead Island was released initially on PC extremely buggy, which shows how much time and effort these companies spend on the PC version of recent shooters. In particular itâ Expand
  18. Sep 6, 2011
    Loving this game so far! Its fun, different and what I hoped L4D would have been more of. I have had no problem with controls and any issues other trolls have problems with. If u like survival horror, rpg and fps melee you will like this game. If you like games being a movie, then go away.
  19. Sep 6, 2011
    Dead Island has the potential to be a great game however, the game feels rushed and as such, there are a plethora of problems with this game that are beyond simple nagging problems. In it's current state, Dead Island is not playable.

First, you have the sound. The sound works intermittently, one moment you have working sound and the next moment you have piercing static or a repeating sound clip. Next you have the actual playability. Dead Island freezes and lags constantly, even on excellent hardware. It's beyond annoying to attempt playing a game under those conditions.

In the end, Dead Island does have the potential to be a fun game but the wise gamer will sit on this title and see if the developers can improve its functionality, else this game will fail hardcore. Right now, the game will leave you wanting to pull your hair out more times than it will offer an enjoyable gaming experience.
  20. Sep 7, 2011
    To summarize in one sentence, this game is borderlands with zombies and like no guns. The midnight release play was absolutely terrible. The game stutters every 3 seconds for no reason. Everyone's mic is open and there's no way to mute them. I only got to play first three chapters before Techland decided to wipe my save without warning. Apparently they uploaded a console version to steamTo summarize in one sentence, this game is borderlands with zombies and like no guns. The midnight release play was absolutely terrible. The game stutters every 3 seconds for no reason. Everyone's mic is open and there's no way to mute them. I only got to play first three chapters before Techland decided to wipe my save without warning. Apparently they uploaded a console version to steam (DOH!) and considering how it still hasn't been fixed, the issue goes much deeper. The graphics looked absolutely terrible compared to what I was expecting from trailers. The character animations are hideous. Honestly, I've seen half life 2 mods with better animations. The inventory is a pain in the ass to use. Interface was made for consoles and it's absolutely baby-punch-frustrating as a PC gamer to slowly click through things because they were too lazy to change it. Honestly it wouldn't be so bad if weapons didn't break so quickly and I have to access item menu every 3 minutes. You shuffle through 10 diff containers and get 50 dollars which you'll have to spend to repair a knife that breaks after 5 swings. But seriously though, YOU SPEND MOST OF YOUR TIME OPENING CONTAINERS AND PUNCHING BABIES THROUGH BAD INTERFACE MANAGING ITEMS RATHER THAN KILLING ZOMBIES AND SURVIVING.

The characters are also horrible. The models are hideous and it's really hard to take a liking to a character and level them when they're not likable at all. While they call this game an RPG the characters have no story behind them other than a tiny paragraph intro where they basically prove the developers are bunch of racist white men who never seen a non white person in their lives or something. The asian woman sometimes sounds super asian and sometimes just sounds white. The 'sure' and 'yes's that they say when accepting a quest are sometimes totally out of place and kills immersion. I will say that I liked the zombie animations and their ragdoll mechanics. It's pretty hilarious to stand on some stairs and watch zombies fall down the stairs when you kick them.
    When I was buying this game, I was expecting more L4D element but I was very wrong. This game definitely has borderland written all over it. It even has aimless driving. Btw, Why does a truck have infinite health in a survival game? It needs to get damaged and stalled by zombies. It's pretty ridiculous you just go godmode-run-over-everything.

Am I mad bro? I think so bro. I just spent 50 dollars on this.
  21. Sep 6, 2011
    Oh boy, where do I begin. I was rather excited to play this game as I'm sure most people who watched the trailers were. It's no secret that a publisher would push an unfinished product out to people in order to meet a deadline, but it seems like it's trending to the point where games are broken and unplayable for the first week or so of play. This to me is completely unacceptable.

Once

Once the cut scenes have finished and you're into the menu, the first thing you'll notice about the PC version is how it is nearly impossible to control your cursor. No big deal, after nearly suffering from tennis elbow trying to navigate yourself through the overly simplistic and console-like menu system, you'll find your standard sensitivity bar. Naturally you'll "crank that sh*t up to 11" and enjoy being able to actually move around somewhat normally in the menu. As mentioned your options are EXTREMELY limited, and for those of you who enjoy playing on 120hz displays, you'll notice that the game for some reason has a maximum of 100hz display refresh. No big deal I'm over that.. LETS FIGHT SOME ZOMBIES.

Once you finally stumble your way into an actual game, the first thing you notice is because you set your sensitivity to max that it completely uncontrollable in game. You turn that back down and just hope you never have to go back into the menu system for fear of pulling a muscle trying to change anything in the future. Now most people's first instincts is to try and invite your friends or have them try and join your game. What's that? You don't have any option and aren't sure why? It's because the game requires you to play through the first part of the "Act" giving you some back story before actually allowing you to play with friends. This is fine, but I would recommend they actually explain it to people so they don't spend 10 minutes trying to get people into the game.

Once you have completed the first Act, it's on to what I call "the cabin of despair". Why is that? Because you are going to be sitting in that cabin for a good 30+ minutes trying to get your friends actually into your game. Once they are finally in there, enjoy having the in-game Voice over IP system always running.

Ok, an hour after the games been installed we are now ready to fight zombies. One thing that I found extremely annoying about this game is the movement. After exiting the cabin and you start to move around the island, the overly done bloom effect mixed with the sluggish movement feels like I'm suffering from a terrible hangover. I decide to power through it.

After about 30 more minutes of wondering around the island picking up badly explained objective missions and fighting a very very small number of zombies around what I can only assume must be luxury resort due to the lack of people/zombies I find myself bored and playing with the "developer features" they forget to take out such as noclip.

Unfortunately I found flying around the island using noclip and driving my truck off of cliffs much more fun than any of the gameplay thus far. People who claim this is only just "First Day/Week Hiccups" are definitely underselling it, and I would not recommend anyone spend any money on this horrible, bug riddled game. Please, think of your wallet and your elbow before wasting away either on this monstrosity.
  22. Sep 6, 2011
    This is an unfinished game. I don't buy the crap that they accidentally released a dev build or whatever. As a software developer, in my experience (granted, not related to the gaming industry), dev builds only contain additional items, like convenience keystrokes, debug info, etc, it is not an excuse for utterly broken/missing features. Blaming bugs on the wrong release version is theThis is an unfinished game. I don't buy the crap that they accidentally released a dev build or whatever. As a software developer, in my experience (granted, not related to the gaming industry), dev builds only contain additional items, like convenience keystrokes, debug info, etc, it is not an excuse for utterly broken/missing features. Blaming bugs on the wrong release version is the same as giving a teacher an intentionally corrupt document to get an extension on your homework. This is a dishonest practice, and this company should be called out for it. I feel scammed that I pre-ordered an unfinished product. I hope they will correct the issues with the game, deal with the messed up FOV, lack of basic PC graphics options like vsync, etc, but I would recommend anyone considering buying this game to wait, I don't anticipate problems being fixed overnight. Deep Silver and Techland have definitely fallen of my "Potential companies to pre-order with" list due to this turd. Shame on you. Expand
  23. Sep 6, 2011
    Deep Silver and Techland have royally messed up for a major release Dead Island, released a DEBUG version, to fix it caused files to become corrupt and user progression to be erased.
  24. Aug 17, 2012
    I love zombie games. There is something fun about fighting against zombies that is better than fighting people. They're scary, they leap at you, they are gory, they don't have guns, they're usually slow and they make noise to announce their position.
    This game is an excellent zombie game. The graphics are beautiful, and the story is great. It's an open world island with fast travel points, quests, driving vehicles, lots of weapons (melee blunt & sharp, firearms) and a neat weapon upgrade/mod system.
    I haven't tried the multi-player yet, but it got good reviews as well.
    I had to give this a lower review though because it's got some horrible bugs that don't appear to be going to get fixed. Most notably, when you exit the menu from inventory/quests/skills, if you click the back/exit button it performs an attack (I guess since left click is also the attack). Well, this seriously sucks if you are holding a grenade (i.e. you just made one at the mod/upgrade bench) cuz you end up tossing a grenade against a wall 2 feet in front of you, and dying. Workaround: press escape instead of clicking. Another annoyance is the randomness of picking up new items. Sometimes they bump the current item out of your hand into your inventory. Most annoyingly - when you pick up alcohol (quest/mod component) sometimes it replaces your weapon and when a zombie charges you, you end up drinking it and getting drunk instead of chopping a zombie. Being drunk makes it hard to fight cuz you are wobbly and your vision is fuzzy.
    I assume these issues are due to a poor port from console to PC so things probably are better on consoles.
    All in all, if you like zombie games, you'll appreciate this one. You just have to train yourself to work around the issues.
  25. May 22, 2012
    I really wanted to love this game. However, to be honest, I'm surprised it has such a high Metacritic score. The graphics are nice and the combat is standard. After the L4D games you really need to bring something unique to the table to set yourself apart. This game tried but the gameplay mechanics didn't lend itself to the campaign.

This was the buggiest game I had ever purchased from

This was the buggiest game I had ever purchased from Steam day one. Connection issues to host or join in a game with my friends. No excuse to release this half cooked. Maybe spend less time on your ad cinematics and more time polishing the game?

I understand it was trying to be a zombie survivor RPG, a novel concept, they just fell short. Weapons constantly breaking and needing repair would slow down progression through the story. You need to amass a fortune, find a plethora of weapons lying around on a resort island, and MacGyver recipies is silly. The quests are tired and absurd. "The chosen one" storyline is used more than...just play L4D.
  26. May 28, 2012
    As a console game it's alright, shallow, lacking in features, repetitive gameplay. Great graphics and immersion. As a movie or something to watch it's not bad (apart from the horrible story). As a game experience, it's not great.

I just feel like a retard killing zombies the same way, over and over, for hours. The game never changes and is extremely repetitive. Hardcore RPG gamers, stay off of this, you won't experience anything new or satisfying. Casual console gamers, have a blast! Enjoy the brainless fun.

Graphics: 7/10
    Gameplay: 5/10
    Story: 3/10
    Sound: 3/10

Rating: 5/10 [Mediocre]
  27. Nov 20, 2013
    The truth is, I really wanted to like Dead Island but unfortunately it’s just not what I expected… The constant barrage of boring collection missions, an absolutely awful FOV which makes me feel sick after around half an hour playing, a weapon crafting/upgrading system which truly boggles my mind (I hate RPG/Strategy-esque things) and a really rather unattractive game in general (maybeThe truth is, I really wanted to like Dead Island but unfortunately it’s just not what I expected… The constant barrage of boring collection missions, an absolutely awful FOV which makes me feel sick after around half an hour playing, a weapon crafting/upgrading system which truly boggles my mind (I hate RPG/Strategy-esque things) and a really rather unattractive game in general (maybe it’s just the port)! I just couldn't find much too like about Dead Island, even killing zombies just wasn't that satisfying (it felt very repetitive) despite the sheer volume of weapons… I also didn't really understand the focus on money in the title; why should we be concerned about money in a zombie invasion; that's just contrived… Overall, I just found it a rather flawed and boring game! Expand
  28. Nov 26, 2011
    First off, full system disclosure: I have an i7-2600, 8GB RAM, Win7-64, Creative SB X-Fi Titanium and GTX-580 with 1.5GB VRAM. One would think that this should suffice to play this game as the recommended system requirements are Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Win7, GeForce 9600 with 1 GB VRAM. However, the game stutters all the time even when I change the graphic settings to the "MaximumFirst off, full system disclosure: I have an i7-2600, 8GB RAM, Win7-64, Creative SB X-Fi Titanium and GTX-580 with 1.5GB VRAM. One would think that this should suffice to play this game as the recommended system requirements are Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Win7, GeForce 9600 with 1 GB VRAM. However, the game stutters all the time even when I change the graphic settings to the "Maximum Performance" preset. I had to install a third-party helper (i.e., EXE file) to tweak the graphic settings in order to make the game stutter-free. This was not a successful port to PC as the code was not optimized for PC and the graphics look dated (circa 2007). The good news is that the gameplay can be fun at times. A word to the wise: don't pay more than 20 bucks for this game: at the current state, it's just not worth it Expand
  29. May 24, 2014
    I would have given the game a higher score if it didnt have so many bugs still till this day. Love the game but the developers took too many shortcuts with the game and ruined it in certain areas. But i get which direction they wanted the game to head towards but just couldnt do so.

Overall, its been 2.5 years and I still love the game.
  30. Sep 25, 2011
    Techland's quality control standards are the reason why Dead Island isn't a "great game". The whole thing felt rushed, incomplete and unpolished. From glitches to stereotypical characters (that you never develop empathy for) Dead Island and it's story fall very short from the game it could have been. Maybe next time.
  31. Oct 27, 2013
    I adore Dead Island, It might be a little on the clunky side but basically what you have here is a Bethesda style game which has optional multiplayer where you beat the crap out of zombies with baseball bats that have nails in...
  32. Feb 5, 2012
    Very bland, feels like an mmo without the mmo. The combat is ok, and it is much better in co-op, however there is zero to absolutely little story. Lots of typical fetch and collect quest abound.
  33. Jun 20, 2014
    Loved the game. Great graphics, gameplay, and storyline. The vehicle driving is well done as well.
    There is a long and short campaign that merge the stories at the endgame.
    There is a long and short campaign that merge the stories at the endgame.
    The long campaign is the main storyline featuring one of 4 characters. Every level is detailed and lengthy, but not boring. Even the side quests (technically the grinders) move smoothly as the collection rate for necessary items isn't high at all.
    The short campaign follows a law officer trying to find his wife, and eventually meeting up with the 4 survivors from the main storyline.
    The ending has a twist.
    One any difficulty the game is still challenging. Ammo, and carry space, are realistically done, and there is a surplus of good weapons to be found. I didn't want the game to end, but felt satiated and satisfied when it was finished.
  34. Jul 26, 2012
    Dead jsland is a game with satisfying melee combat, good visuals, interesting levels, plenty of side-quests and a large world that is sadly held back by bugs, repetitive gameplay and a lackluster story. Its is by no means bad but the game is just too repetitive since you will spend the majority of the game fighting zombies with a satisfying but limited melee-combat system.

The game has

The game has a 4-player cooperative mode though which is where the game really shines. And if you have a couple of pals ready to play with you you are probably going to have a good time playing through the 14 hourish main campaign of this game.
  35. Oct 29, 2012
    After ten hours of Dead Island, I'm losing interest.
    Too much scrounging, searching, sneaking, retreating, and repairing.
    I thought it was kinda cool to have a mission-based game in a zombie setting. It is cool that you can upgrade weapons several times. What's killing my interest is the nagging weapon maintenance. The wear is remotely believable for the wooden weapons. But something
    After ten hours of Dead Island, I'm losing interest.
    Too much scrounging, searching, sneaking, retreating, and repairing.
    What's killing my interest is the nagging weapon maintenance. The wear is remotely believable for the wooden weapons. But something like a heavy pipe wrench or a crowbar would "in reality" split a thousand zombie skulls with at most cosmetic damage to the weapon itself. It gets old gathering money constantly and delaying quests with trips to a repair bench. How does a workbench take money, anyway? If Dead Island didn't have this weapon maintenance aspect, I'd give it a 7.
    Throw in healing, or maybe less damage from zombie punches, and I might say 8.
  36. Jan 7, 2013
    It is yet another survival "horror" that is not scary at all. The game puts you in the shoes of 1 of 4 pre-made characters with unique playstyles and backstories and you can't customize them at all. Now, why in these games where only character development occurs in a handful of cinematics that are hours apart and in some random comments during gameplay, I will never understand. The gameIt is yet another survival "horror" that is not scary at all. The game puts you in the shoes of 1 of 4 pre-made characters with unique playstyles and backstories and you can't customize them at all. Now, why in these games where only character development occurs in a handful of cinematics that are hours apart and in some random comments during gameplay, I will never understand. The game focuses primarily on a fun melee combat system where the point is disabling the enemy by attacks to the head or limbs, combined with lots of gore and dismemberment, you have good gameplay experience that gets boring by the end of the game, depending on the player. Miraculously, there is no automatic health regeneration, and despite the fact it's regained by eating snacks and drinking soda, the limited health and stamina make you want to be careful and precise in combat. As far as RPG elements go, there are rather simple skill trees that slightly alter how you play. The world is fairly open, it comes down to decent story quests and generic sidequests, with very little replay value. Graphically the game looks good, even though it overuses bloom effects and animations are on the downside. If you play with your friends with mics you are bound to have a good time, yet if you play alone or with uncommunicative strangers it will quickly get annoying. Expand
  37. Feb 2, 2013
    This is a very violent product. A lot of blood, a lot of stress because the threat is everywhere. You can join anyone who is around the map. The multiplayer's system is original. The difficulty is correct and fights are very dynamic. Enjoy
  38. Jun 21, 2013
    Dead Island is one of the best games of zombies, u cant' say u know about zombie's games if you did't play Dead Island, the IA of the game is very good, and the graphics are the best in this kind of games. Have a lot of fun the online. You will love to pass the game many times. The DLC made this game very complete. I Love Dead Island.
  39. Apr 23, 2013
    If you happen to enjoy campy horror films, Dead Island is a game for you! The game is far from perfect, but the fun factor keeps me coming back for more zombie bashing mayhem. Also, bring along a few friends and (as most games) the game gets even better! Looking forward for more games in this series!
  40. Dec 2, 2013
    Massive, Fun, and laughable characters is what Dead Island consist of. When I say massive I mean 40 hours plus massive. There are hundreds of side missions, many locations to find and exclusions notes which actually make for a better story compared to what the game attempts to portray. The Graphics are impressive and Banoi is a related destination for paradise holidaying. Basically theMassive, Fun, and laughable characters is what Dead Island consist of. When I say massive I mean 40 hours plus massive. There are hundreds of side missions, many locations to find and exclusions notes which actually make for a better story compared to what the game attempts to portray. The Graphics are impressive and Banoi is a related destination for paradise holidaying. Basically the game is about four main characters who have mutated an immunity which has given them the privilege to do 1000 fetch quests for pretty much everyone. The aim of the game is to get off this Island of hell and discover what actually is going on. Expand
  41. Jul 26, 2013
    Dead Island was just... unfinished it seemed. The recycled enemies. The boring combat. The down right stupid story. The characters. It was... just terrible. I can't do anything but complain about this game.

The story... well... uhh... it's there. It sucked but... it's there... right? I mean seriously half the time I didn't even know there was a story. I don't even remember any of the

I don't even remember any of the characters. None of them had an impact on me.

Graphics and visuals were below average. I never seen something like this at the price it cost ever. Except for the water which was oddly the most detailed thing in the game.

Gameplay was just down right atrocious. The hit box for some melee was just awful and they want me to jump and hit too? Yeah no. Controls well... it handled well but again... with the combat being so spotty you can't really say it controlled well. Multiplayer CO-OP made it a tad fun as all my friends and I laughed at all the horrible things in the game and cracked jokes.

OH BOY WAS THIS GAME HARD! If you're looking for a challenge look no further than this! This game's poor hit box and controls and overall boring game play just makes everything a god damn challenge.

Would I recommend this game? NO! DO NOT TOUCH THIS!
  42. Feb 19, 2014
    Apesar da críticas ruim é um ótimo game e recomendo. Os usuários que deram notas ruins são fanboys do Left 4 Dead que estão com inveja porque o Dead Island é tão bom quanto ele.
  43. Jul 9, 2014
    Sure, it has some bugs here and there, but this is only a minority of a well-rounded game. The story is a little boring at times, but the game compensates for this by allowing you to leave the story altogether and focus your sick mind on forging together weapons of much carnage. Not one of the best zombie games, but it is good.
  44. Nov 30, 2013
    I SO wanted to like this, I really did. It's a beautiful looking game with some fun gameplay to be had. It is however, ruined by a nonsensical, cliché ridden and disjointed story that is less half baked than completely uncooked, with voice acting that, while never awful is never truly convincing, either. There is also no sense of character development, with each cutscene (which barely evenI SO wanted to like this, I really did. It's a beautiful looking game with some fun gameplay to be had. It is however, ruined by a nonsensical, cliché ridden and disjointed story that is less half baked than completely uncooked, with voice acting that, while never awful is never truly convincing, either. There is also no sense of character development, with each cutscene (which barely even appear until the halfway point) showing the characters, both playable and no randomly changing their personality with no real explanation as to how or why, even within said scenes. The facial animations are at best laughable, while I did notice the zombies seemed to display a convincing look of rage, the characters the player interacts with always seem to look blank, even if they're supposed to be terrified for their lives. The combat AI for humans is also hilariously bad, with enemies directly in front of the player seemingly shooting right past them. The item break mechanic also seemed to make no sense, with the player going and seemingly paying a workbench to repair a weapon with cash, which given the large variety of items the player seems to run across makes it seem like a really lazy solution to an unnecessary feature. The combat was fun enough, although with zombies and specials pretty much spawning in the exact same place not minutes after the player cleared it out made it repetitive and quite frankly tedious.
    The item loot mechanic, which not only looks lifted from Borderlands was highly unsatisfying. I think this game had a lot of ambition, with some excellent ideas, a solid concept and a beautiful world but it was ruined by poor execution in many aspects of the game. It could have been something special but will probably be confined to the depths of mediocrity like so many other potentially great games. Still, it was better than Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.
  45. Jan 12, 2014
    A pretty good game. It brought a new and exciting feel to the zombie slasher games we see today. Sure there were bugs here and there like the walk thru doors bug in the city. Over all i had fun
  46. Feb 12, 2014
    Well,, The Graphic is Incredibly welldone and the Combat system with those zombies is thrilling I just loved it,, It is the best FPS Zombie horror genre game I ever played
  47. Mar 19, 2014
    A fun zombie-killing experience that has the right blend of difficulty, horror, and whimsy. It's not the best game - tons of glitches for one - but it is hours and hours of fun, great solo or in multiplayer. There are shortcomings of course: the sections where firearms are required get a bit tedious, and firearms themselves seem pretty weak when stacked up against the ridiculous amountA fun zombie-killing experience that has the right blend of difficulty, horror, and whimsy. It's not the best game - tons of glitches for one - but it is hours and hours of fun, great solo or in multiplayer. There are shortcomings of course: the sections where firearms are required get a bit tedious, and firearms themselves seem pretty weak when stacked up against the ridiculous amount of melee weapons you can get your hands on. There's also a fair bit of dumb design decisions in there, like making Alcohol an item that can take up a weapon slot, or having higher level weapon modifications available before the lower level variants. Despite that, the melee combat is both fun and challenging. The game holds up decently well, though it loses a bit of its charm in the later levels when things veer away from the combination of beautiful scenery with horrifying zombies. Still, it's not like it stops being fun, it just loses a little bit of that humorous juxtaposition.

All in all it's a great game, even moreso on the PC since it is HIGHLY moddable. Don't like some aspect of the game? There's probably a mod out there to change it.
  48. Jun 9, 2014
    Dead Island Is a mix between Borderlands and Left 4 Dead! The graphics are good despites the glitches that occurs often in the game! Also It is mostly made for Co-Op, If you play alone you will get to act 2 and also bored to death! Otherwise, play with 3 of your friends online and you will have a lot of fun! I recommend it for any fans of zombie games!
  49. Jun 24, 2014
    Dead Island might seem like another zombie game, but it's not. It's sunny outside, your character runs like an idiot, and that's what makes this game different.

Once again, the added value comes from the mutliplayer experience, as you can get all together in car and break some zombie bones on the way. It's a bit buggy but it's not ruining the game at all The storyline is not the best

The storyline is not the best one, but it's decent, and some parts of the world are really challenging. It's horror, rpg, action, range and melee. I love it !

The weapon crafting is nice, even if you have to repair your weapons twice during the missions, but you can create pretty much everything and you find new weapons all the time to replace the old ones.

Conclusion : Forget the bugs, forget the sensation of unfinished game, this is fun and you know it !
  50. Aug 22, 2012
    I got this game on discount and I got interested in this game for a while. I installed it and finally started the game...and now after 20 hours and more of gaming, I really notice why this game wasn't all that greatness they mentioned in the past. The best way to describe this game is that it's a hybrid between Skyrim/Oblibion and Borderlands, even though it doesn't completely work at itsI got this game on discount and I got interested in this game for a while. I installed it and finally started the game...and now after 20 hours and more of gaming, I really notice why this game wasn't all that greatness they mentioned in the past. The best way to describe this game is that it's a hybrid between Skyrim/Oblibion and Borderlands, even though it doesn't completely work at its finest. However there are positive things: I actually like the fact that you're a survivor against a zombie infection and the fact that you're basically stuck on a island and you have to kill any zombie you cross even though the scare factor completely dies because this island is never in the dark and the zombies never stop coming, meaning that you won't have any growing tension or unexpected meeting. The 4 characters aren't extremely different with the exception of their main weapon skills (blunt weapons,blades, thrown weapons and guns) but they differ enough to be interesting to play all of them. There's also a story but I hardly followed because I was focusing on the game itself and the quests (like in any WRPG). The island isn't "huge" but it's big enough that you'll take some time to explore it all, especially when you need to find materials for making your modified weapon, which is a nice addition...but it's extremely hard to make those weapons. However, I do have 3 big complaints in this game and, to me, they are BIG flaws that ruins my game. A lot. First of all, the controls are clunky...I understand they tried to make this as much realistic as possible but I'm pretty sure I can move and walk AND fight better than them! The combat for instance is very harsh because you don't have a huge range, understandable since your main weapons are melee weapons, but you don't feel in control of your swings and you can easily miss zombies because of the slow pace the characters have! Without mentioning that you can't parry (at least I never could, if there is one) and your dodge is hard to use and has a really weak range...plus it's useless since you need to be in melee range ALL the time and you'll only use it once in a while to avoid sudden attacks from the zombies. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but the controls aren't my favorite part here. And no, I can't try analog controls, so I can't say if that's good or not. Second: your energy never recovers in time....really? I don't get why I don't recover my health, especially when they just hit me with fists! Yes there are some zombies that hit with weapons and you'll sometime fight men with guns, but this is still a big problem because the zombies HIT HARD! I've died a lot of time because they can easily 3-4 shot me, and add the fact that you're always in numerical disadvantage, you cannot parry and dodge sometimes it's useless since some zombies can run faster than you you can see big problems on the way The only way to recover health is to eat and drink food or use first aid kits, which are rare to find but luckily not costy to buy, but I don't get why our energy never gets back with just resting or waiting (and no, it's not because we're infected): it basically says "gunshots can be easily recovered with few seconds of resting (the general fps idea), but fists? They hurt you more, so you need a lot of cheap food to recover!". I don't know, maybe I'm taking it too seriously. And third: the game seems a lot short: I've played for almost 23 hours and I'm at 70% of the game...and I've done PLENTY of quests, so that means that the game itself it's even shorter! Of course the game will be longer if you manage to do all the quests and the problems I've mentioned will disappear if you play in co-op, which is very well implemented, without mentioning that it makes the game a lot longer too, but even Borderlands had a longer main quest! It's still longer than the average game but my guess is that if you want to make it last long, you have to do quests or else it won't last very much, which is a pity. I liked the game though but It's not the best I've seen: it looks like an attempt to copy both Borderlands questing system and Oblivion combat, but making one weird hybrid that doesn't really shine in either side...so my advice is to stick with either those 2 games (which are ten times bigger also) or you can give this game a try if you want to play something different... Expand
  51. Sep 8, 2011
    Alright, this is gonna be a long one. All in all, this is a fun game. I'm gonna give a LOT of negatives and few positives, but the positives I give are really big, and the negatives are very minor. So while at first glance this is gonna look like a hate speech, in the end, I do enjoy this game. Before I start off I'm just gonna say - this is a long review. to sum it up - Combat is great,Alright, this is gonna be a long one. All in all, this is a fun game. I'm gonna give a LOT of negatives and few positives, but the positives I give are really big, and the negatives are very minor. So while at first glance this is gonna look like a hate speech, in the end, I do enjoy this game. Before I start off I'm just gonna say - this is a long review. to sum it up - Combat is great, tons of minor things that will annoy the hell out of you if you're half as nuts as I am. If you want more examples, then let's get started.
    Positives: The combat in this game is downright fantastic. I love it. every weapon has an individual feel but they all feel weighted and realistic. when I smash a zombie with my oar or stab it with a kitchen knife, it feels like an actual weapon. the graphics for combat are much better than the graphics for everything else, and the engine really shines when the player cuts a limb off. (excuse the graphic details-who am I kidding, you guys are here for a zombie killing game). I feel compelled to play the game simply so I can kill some more zombies. Another large positive is the world. It feels alive and dynamic, in that there's places you can go that have their own minor stories that aren't (so far) connected with anything regarding the plot and are just put in to give the world flavor - coming upon a room with a zombie tied to a bed and a dead man next to the struggling zombie comes to mind, for example. People (most, anyway) react realistically for an apocalypse, and the large majority of the people in the safe houses are terrified because *guess what*, they're just average people, not everyone is a zombie killer like it feels sometimes in other zombie games. Anyway: The Negatives: This game is ABSURDLY unpolished. Like, really unpolished. I play as a female character, and several conversations have the other person refer to me as a he. Shadows in the game are blocky and odd, and I have all of my settings turned to maximum. There's a certain part in the hotel where I could literally see a dark part of the hallway - it was cut off from the rest of it, there was an actual line of darkness. that's just basic phasing to make the shadow bleed into the rest of the world, a weird graphics problem. Yes I know these are minor gripes, I said in the beginning that most of my negatives are very picky, remember. Another minor gripe - and this one is really pointless. You pay for repairs, which is understandable...but you're paying a repair table. Not a person. What? Like just...where does the money go? Driving in this game also, was designed by a team of people just learning to drive. Because it's very realistic, in that it's the view of being in the car. That's great, until you have to go in reverse and smash the car into the wall behind you. I feel like an imbecile when driving simply because I can't look all the way behind me like I would when *actually driving*. Also the car makes skidding noises....regardless of the speed you're going. Which is weird. Another thing (slightly more important) weapon durability is really, really frustrating. An average weapon breaks in about thirty swings, which is at most ten zombies. Less important - two odd things with the female characters. First, they're all in bikinis. Sure sure, they're on a beach vacation. Fine. Five hours into an apocalypse and they can't grab a shirt from somewhere or something? Seriously. Also, almost every single one of the female avatars have an mp3 player on their arm. Random I know, but it freakin' weirds me out. Another thing: Voice acting. Terrible. Also it seems like it's on a different audio channel from everything else, when I say yes or no to a quest. Strange. So yes, my negatives section was much much larger than my positives, but the positives were much more important than the negatives. In the end, I suggest one of two things: If this game sounds like the perfect match for you, get it. GET IT RIGHT NOW. Otherwise, wait a few months for the price to drop a bit - I definitely suggest anyone who loves zombie games to get this, but unless you reaaally hate zombies, you may want to wait for the price tag to drop. If you do buy it, good luck killing the infected, and maybe I'll see you guys in game. Cheers =]
  52. Jun 2, 2012
    Incredibly buggy. The good art and fight idea are spoiled by the most braindead programming "abilities" of the industry. Where can you hire such incompetent "programmers"? Is it necessary to be drunk to write so bad software?.
    They must hire:
    - someone capable to understand mouse basics. Just the basics. - another programmer whose code doesn't delete your progress every week. - a good
    They must hire:
    - someone capable to understand mouse basics. Just the basics.
    - another programmer whose code doesn't delete your progress every week.
    - a good manager, to fire the responsibles of the disaster.
  53. Apr 14, 2012
    A game that could so desperately be so beautiful, but fails at so many turns. The trailer that got everyone talking was the teaser trailer containing a slow motion emotional trailer, of a family stuck on an island in a hotel, infested with zombies. This emotional trailer suggested that the game could be about the back story to these people, and how there lives met such a tragic end.A game that could so desperately be so beautiful, but fails at so many turns. The trailer that got everyone talking was the teaser trailer containing a slow motion emotional trailer, of a family stuck on an island in a hotel, infested with zombies. This emotional trailer suggested that the game could be about the back story to these people, and how there lives met such a tragic end. However, the characters in the main game itself have absolutely nothing to do with the actual game, the game opens with a mediocre rap song about zombies, before you are introduced to the shallow and stereotypical characters in the game. The combat is slow and slightly dodgy, and "The Infected" run at you so fast, unless you can kick like a donkey you are screwed. This game is Left For Dead, meets Borderlands, except a version where everything went wrong. It tried to be original but ended up being a shallow and unimaginative game that leaves you unsatisfied. Don't even get me started on the weapon combat system either. There are so many problems that the only thing that I enjoyed, are the beautiful graphics, and driving around the island running over zombies. Don't play it on your own, it's pointless, having a friend makes all the difference in the world. Over all a bland game that did not seem worth splashing out money for. Expand
  54. Oct 5, 2011
    - many,many Bugs, perpetual respawn NPC is too close to player (It is a lot of places where npc eternally respawn near to the player ), dizbalans, booring missions.

+ open world, action rpg It could be a great game...
  55. Aug 5, 2012
    Dead Island was heavily flawed on release with game breaking technical issues and though I managed to fix these afterwards, I still wasn't impressed with the game. Although I was entertained for the most part on my first playthrough, the game was littered with bugs and glitches that proved annoying and I felt the story wasn't very engaging either.
  56. Oct 12, 2011
    I got this game looking for a button-mashing, mindless fun, weekend of zombie killing and that is what i got and i have barley touched it since. It suffers from several graphical glitches and a lack-luster story. Towards the end of the game it starts to feel tedious as you are required to run from point A to point B and then back again.
    In summary if you spare cash and time to kill i would
    In summary if you spare cash and time to kill i would recommend it especially if you have friends who want to play the co-op with you, but don't expect this to win Game of the Year.
  57. Aug 25, 2012
    cut a long story short: this game has a lot of potential but ultimately it falls flat on it's zombie nose. the mission system is broken. soemtimes the map marker does not work so you do not know what do to next and have to to do the ENTIRE MISSION all over again. this is completely unacceptable in a 2011 release. moreover the inventory system sucks so hard and was so obviously designed forcut a long story short: this game has a lot of potential but ultimately it falls flat on it's zombie nose. the mission system is broken. soemtimes the map marker does not work so you do not know what do to next and have to to do the ENTIRE MISSION all over again. this is completely unacceptable in a 2011 release. moreover the inventory system sucks so hard and was so obviously designed for consoles instead of a PC. last but not least the story doesn' go anywhere (well at least not after having played for 7 hours!) Collapse
  58. Jan 12, 2012
    This is one of those games you need to grab 3 friends and sit back and enjoy the ride! Played right through loving every bit of it, because even if a couple of parts are boring your mates come to the rescue and brighten it up! The gore is beautiful, some scenes are so nice they actually made me stop just to take a good look. So many people would of played this solo or with randoms and IThis is one of those games you need to grab 3 friends and sit back and enjoy the ride! Played right through loving every bit of it, because even if a couple of parts are boring your mates come to the rescue and brighten it up! The gore is beautiful, some scenes are so nice they actually made me stop just to take a good look. So many people would of played this solo or with randoms and I feel they're just missing out on what could of been an awesome experience. I can tell I'll be picking this up again after a while :) 10/10. Expand
  59. Sep 10, 2011
    Don't let anyone fool you, the game had some huge problems the first couple days but they have patched it up pretty well and it runs amazingly. With a couple friends this is one of the best co-op experiences available.
  60. Sep 16, 2011
    A flawed diamond of a game. The core gameplay is good, and it's one of the few games I've played in recent years to actually feel like a horror game. The adrenaline that flows then knocked down by a thug and surrounded my walkers is immense. Melee combat is sastisfying, and the game is huge and provides lots of gameplay for your money. It does have a few issues though. There are minorA flawed diamond of a game. The core gameplay is good, and it's one of the few games I've played in recent years to actually feel like a horror game. The adrenaline that flows then knocked down by a thug and surrounded my walkers is immense. Melee combat is sastisfying, and the game is huge and provides lots of gameplay for your money. It does have a few issues though. There are minor graphical bugs and clipping which mar the game slightly, and weapons break a little bit too fast for my tastes. I understand it's meant to build tension, but it doesn't seem right that a lead pipe would break after 10 hits to a zombie arm. I think if the bugs can be ironed out, it could be close to perfect as a game. Some of the criticisms for it seem a bit harsh. It was buggy at release, but that doesn't make it awful by default. Some criticisms have been levelled at it for a lack of guns, but that was one of its main selling points. If you want a fun game which goes against the grain, and are willing to put up with a few minor bugs and questionable design issues, you could do a lot worse than Dead Island. Expand
  61. Aug 6, 2012
    I'm giving a 2 for the graphics and effort, but the core gameplay and game mechanics are horribly flawed. First, I get hastily introduced to random characters that are forgotten in the first minute, stumble around pointlessly, and struggle with the clumsy movement controls. Then, all of a sudden I am joined by random people since there is some kind of multiplayer mode enabled by default,I'm giving a 2 for the graphics and effort, but the core gameplay and game mechanics are horribly flawed. First, I get hastily introduced to random characters that are forgotten in the first minute, stumble around pointlessly, and struggle with the clumsy movement controls. Then, all of a sudden I am joined by random people since there is some kind of multiplayer mode enabled by default, something that I didn't even choose myself. Then we stumble around more, trying desperately to actually hit and do damage to pretty much anything. Now here is the real issue, I missed out on 90% of the story already. The other players rush around everywhere and activate all these different quests while I'm trying to figure out what the hell is going on. They skip all the dialogue so I have no idea what the quests were even about in the first place, and then this other guy has an electric sword while everyone is using sticks. Heck, I think I even missed a plane crash or whatever that noise was.

I just finished some random quest about a gas-station, and I've had enough of this game already. I don't even know what happened since the beginning of the game to this point other than the fact that "we killed zombies". Not much of a story there.

The game is just a jumbled mess. Movement is sloppy, gameplay is sloppy, cinematics/cut-scenes are sloppy, story is sloppy, game mechanics are sloppy.

The game is sloppy. Nuff said. Good thing I bought it during the Steam Sale.
  62. Dec 11, 2011
    This was a fun game to play. The game is a bit clunky and the dialog for single player is the same for the multiplayer, which makes for some strange dialog. Overall I had fun playing this game in single player mode and will play it again as another character and finish all the side quests this time.
  63. Jan 2, 2012
    Even though this game had a rough start, and still suffers from quite an amount of hate, it's a game worth buying. Three, or four, player co-op is a great way to play Dead Island from start to finish; it makes for good fun along the way. The open-world RPG theme fits perfectly with the good-feeling combat, and even though the story isn't really worth paying attention to, you'll getEven though this game had a rough start, and still suffers from quite an amount of hate, it's a game worth buying. Three, or four, player co-op is a great way to play Dead Island from start to finish; it makes for good fun along the way. The open-world RPG theme fits perfectly with the good-feeling combat, and even though the story isn't really worth paying attention to, you'll get immersed in this zombie-apocalyptic island-adventure right from the start.
    One detail I really love in this game, is the driving. It's not especially good, but it's fun! Smashing zombie-brains with a car have never been as fun as in Dead Island; a game worth buying!
  64. Jul 7, 2012
    One of the biggest disappointments I have experienced. The game was so interesting and the idea of the game taking place on a tropical island seemed solid. But the game is so poorly executed, the gameplay is awful, it is such a robotic movement and it's hard to get an overlook of all the enemies attacking you. The gameplay is especially bad when it comes to using firearms. The charactersOne of the biggest disappointments I have experienced. The game was so interesting and the idea of the game taking place on a tropical island seemed solid. But the game is so poorly executed, the gameplay is awful, it is such a robotic movement and it's hard to get an overlook of all the enemies attacking you. The gameplay is especially bad when it comes to using firearms. The characters are so ridiculously stupid and the voice casting is horrible. Last but not least the numerous amount of bugs ruins this game. Even with all the patches the game has a huge amount and because of that I can't make a progress in the game. I can't get any further because I have runned into a really annoying bug. Expand
  65. gas
    Aug 6, 2012
    Bought during Steam summer sales, so quite nice price, im not very disappointed, the game is playable, its overall well made, the concept is good, at least as idea. The main issue in my opinion is that the game is boring and most of the situations are completely stupid.
    Its a sandbox game like fallout 3 or skyrim, but it lacks story, interesting zones, interesting enemies, character developing, weapons, sense of progression.. basically it lacks everything except zombies.
    Quests are not interesting and usually it seems they are written randomly by someone who never played a game in his life.
    Character development is very streamlined and poor, also the game lacks really common sense, as in example you save an NPC and carry him into the safe zone, then he starts to sell weapons to you, like he could import weapons on a zombie island or even if in case of a zombie apocalypse ppl still use money to buy stuff each other to fight them... A good concept ruined by really stupid developer choices.
  66. May 24, 2012
    If you loved Borderlands and you loved LFD2 or maybe Dead Rising you gonna love this.
    The game environment is detailed and beautifully done.. as well as wide open to explore different methods and routes.
    The combat is bloody and squishy and frenzied and a load of fun with different weapons. The weapons are many and can be upgraded as well as created into some killer stuff. on my
    on my gtx275, core i7 920 running Win 7 / 64 it runs flawlessly maxed out and coop games are click and go no BS involved.
    I had a back log and grabbed this game on sale and it was a steal.. well worth every penny.
    Great job to the Devs
  67. Sep 14, 2011
    After all updates I am very satisfied with this game. It took me days to finish every side quest and explore every square meter of Banoi. I had to tweak the graphics with some 3rd party tools, but now the game looks so good I don't want to stop playing it. The coop mode is a nice addition and a lot of fun when you are playing with friends and I had no troubles relating to the mainAfter all updates I am very satisfied with this game. It took me days to finish every side quest and explore every square meter of Banoi. I had to tweak the graphics with some 3rd party tools, but now the game looks so good I don't want to stop playing it. The coop mode is a nice addition and a lot of fun when you are playing with friends and I had no troubles relating to the main characters immersing myself more and more in the story. Whilst the ending isn't too good it doesn't matter at all since this game is about having fun in a postapocalyptic paradise. Grab a weapon, modify it and wade through pools of blood and guts with your friends! Expand
  68. Oct 26, 2011
    It has a neat system for assembling custom weapons, and a large environment to explore. Truly a gritty and gory melee game. However the storyline is rather drab with highly predictable quests. It has a terribly clunky interface. Developers need to stop releasing games with so many bugs, then working on a fix. I don't pay $60 to beta test bugs.
  69. Oct 27, 2011
    Didn't really expect Dead Island to be a good game, as I had weird experience with other games of techland, which were in my opinion not really good, but, since most of my friends played it, I thought, hell, why not to try it out too? After 25 hours of game play I can say, that this game worth 8/10, if you like open world, cooperation, RPG elements (perks & so on) you must buy it too
  70. Nov 12, 2011
    Just beat this game. Great graphics and it took me about 25 hours according to the save file. Couple times had me jump in my seat. The one drawback is that once you see the first couple waves of zombies, it becomes pretty repetitive. I still enjoyed it though and would recommend this to others. As for re-playability...I don't know if I will come back to this. It was fun.. now time to move on.
  71. upi
    May 30, 2012
    I think this game is a huge missed opportunity. They obviously spent a lot of effort on creating a world rich in eye candy. Unfortunately you will spend most of your time traveling to various locations and brawling with the same few types of zombies, running boring errands that you won't care much about anyways. Did I say "repetitive"? I lost count on how many times I had to do theI think this game is a huge missed opportunity. They obviously spent a lot of effort on creating a world rich in eye candy. Unfortunately you will spend most of your time traveling to various locations and brawling with the same few types of zombies, running boring errands that you won't care much about anyways. Did I say "repetitive"? I lost count on how many times I had to do the jumpkick / stomp on the head killer combo.

It is unfortunate that such a rich environment should inform the player so poorly. An openable door, a breakable door and a piece of wall that just appears like a door all look the same. There are invisible barriers designed to keep you on track that you just can't pass. The "GPS" supposed to help you navigate from point A to B on a boring trek will cheerfully try to lead you through solid walls. After a daring jump you can simply get stuck somewhere and have to restart from a checkpoint.

You cannot save. You have the one game progress that is automatically kept for you. Seriously, games in the 90's had saves!

And then there are the big and small aggravations. You can carry a hundred medkits and they take up one inventory slot. But 13 knives? No. I won't even go into weapon breakage.

Pick up a bottle of alcohol, and it becomes your active weapon. (You don't notice this because you don't see the bottle anymore.) So next time a zombie attacks you and you click attack what happens? Your hero DRINKS IT RIGHT ON THE SPOT and gets drunk in the middle of a fight. God...

But all these little faults are irrelevant compared to the fact that the game just fails to connect emotionally. The NPC's are bland, their terror unauthentic, acts and needs out of touch. There's a woman in the middle of the zombie apocalypse NEXT TO A SWIMMING POOL asking you for water. (Gives you 100XP for each bottle, oh yeah, now I'm immersed.) People huddle in shelters with the door wide open. Yeah, now I really believe their fear of inevitable death. Sometimes NPCs attempt to instill a sense of urgency with lines like "We must waste no more time", all the while comfortably standing in one spot, doing nothing. The lines are repetitive (oh only you can help us, thank you so much for your help, our heroes), the voice acting uninspired. In the end I started to think these people deserved the undead brought upon them, which in my mind turned the zombies into the game's protagonists. The "plot", well... worse than a summer blockbuster, except there are no twists. The game just lacks atmosphere and spirit.
  72. Jul 20, 2012
    Not half bad for a zombie game. It tends to get a little repetitive and at some points I found myself getting irritated and running through certain areas without attacking a single zombie. The story is a little generic but that doesn't take the fun out of slicing a zombie's head off with a machete. The stamina system works well but also gets a little irritating when fighting off a goodNot half bad for a zombie game. It tends to get a little repetitive and at some points I found myself getting irritated and running through certain areas without attacking a single zombie. The story is a little generic but that doesn't take the fun out of slicing a zombie's head off with a machete. The stamina system works well but also gets a little irritating when fighting off a good amount of zombies. The melee weapons degrade quickly but luckily there are workbenches scattered throughout levels to repair your gear. A pretty solid game with a few glitches. Most of them have been fixed and I haven't run into any game breaking glitches yet. Co-op is fun especially if you have friends to play with. It can get a little challenging with one person. Expand
  73. Aug 5, 2012
    Dead Island is complete trash from start to finish! This game failed before it even was created. The game is outdated in every way possible. Maybe this game would of been amazing back in 1998! This game is so dull and boring with its lame ass repetitive game play that I just wanted to throw my PC out the window! This game was designed and made by assclowns, who had no idea what a good gameDead Island is complete trash from start to finish! This game failed before it even was created. The game is outdated in every way possible. Maybe this game would of been amazing back in 1998! This game is so dull and boring with its lame ass repetitive game play that I just wanted to throw my PC out the window! This game was designed and made by assclowns, who had no idea what a good game looks like let alone should have any business making a game in the first place. Techland and DeepSliver are both full of dip sticks and useless asshats. This game blows on so many levels you could write a million books on it. So this very lame and boring game gets an amazing 0 out of 10 from me! Blow it out your ass you bloody asshats! Expand
  74. Nov 20, 2012
    This game is awesome! Although the characters are slightly stereotypical. But you can forgive that with the open world, weapon selection, the physics, and the gore...
  75. Mar 1, 2013
    The trailer dragged me right into a pre-order which now that I think back to it was a very stupid decision. The game has 4 characters that all have the same intro which really sucked and just seemed like the developers were just being lazy. At first the combat is really cool but it quickly becomes very repetitive and tedious. The zombies are not much of a threat as I found myself justThe trailer dragged me right into a pre-order which now that I think back to it was a very stupid decision. The game has 4 characters that all have the same intro which really sucked and just seemed like the developers were just being lazy. At first the combat is really cool but it quickly becomes very repetitive and tedious. The zombies are not much of a threat as I found myself just running passed them and occasionally jumping on top of a car so that I could catch my breath or just shoot them down so they stop pestering me. The biggest mistake about the zombies is they can not break down doors instead they just walk or run into it which causes a horrible clipping bug that just looks hilarious. The side missions were really boring because they were all the same, it seemed to me that there were only three types of side missions and that was fetch,kill,escort. I later moved onto co-op but it was just like playing the game on single player as my buddy just ran past zombies with me and we actually had more fun crashing are car into stuff but that quickly got boring due to the horrible physics engine. Speaking about the physics engine, everything in this game seemed to be a static object.

Overall this game can be fun but gets very boring very quickly so it can easily be skipped.
  76. Mar 27, 2013
    Graphics and visuals are not all that great. Best thing I saw in this game was the water. Story is just awful. I never once knew what the hell went on and I never will... this was awful. Characters were awful... it was just... awful. Gameplay Movements and camera were all good but the combat... yeah that was horrendous. That's actually part of the difficulty. Hitting something. Wow if IGraphics and visuals are not all that great. Best thing I saw in this game was the water. Story is just awful. I never once knew what the hell went on and I never will... this was awful. Characters were awful... it was just... awful. Gameplay Movements and camera were all good but the combat... yeah that was horrendous. That's actually part of the difficulty. Hitting something. Wow if I was ever looking for a challenge this game is it. It is defiantly a challenge and I found it to be very hard. I enjoy a good challenge every now and then so this was defiantly a plus. Length/Replay I never got to the end. I couldn't. It was too BORING. It was just so unbelievably boring! Summary I did not enjoy this game one bit at all. It was too boring... too dull... nothing really new it's zombies with melee weapons now. I really enjoyed the challenge though its what got me as far as I went. I never say no to a good challenge but all the terrible things were weighing it down far too much that I caved and gave up. Waste of my money and time. Expand
  77. Apr 19, 2013
    Very entertaining game of which you can play with friends, the random matchmaking system is also very well made and really encourages players to go out there and meet other people. The side quests can get very entertaining and driving through a city full of zombies with your friends spraying from the back of the car because you want to secure the box of juice you just looted for no reason.Very entertaining game of which you can play with friends, the random matchmaking system is also very well made and really encourages players to go out there and meet other people. The side quests can get very entertaining and driving through a city full of zombies with your friends spraying from the back of the car because you want to secure the box of juice you just looted for no reason.

Different from left 4 dead series, Dead island's open space means you don't need to be in a rush to finish the game. Looking forward to the sequeal
  78. May 23, 2013
    If You like zombie games You have to play this one. I had really great time with Dead Island. Crafting is interesting, graphics are nice, music is acceptable. If You close Your eyes for lots of small stupidities You will enjoy this game. Gameplay is nice and makes You play many hours without stoping. It is also very important to play Dead Island before starting Riptide.
  79. Sep 30, 2013
    BAD GAME!

I have put 20 hours on this game, the game has interesting story BUT it sucks as hell, i had to uninstall the game because of the endless annoyance it has. 1 Major problem for me, FEELS LAGGY! the game feels extremely laggy even i have +120 fps. 2 Mouse movements, in the menu the mouse is extremely slow. 3 No option to disable the head bobbing. 4 Combat system sucks!
    BAD GAME!

2 Mouse movements, in the menu the mouse is extremely slow.
    3 No option to disable the head bobbing.
    4 Combat system sucks!
    5 No proper AA, AA seems doesnt work or has poor effect even on max settings
    6 Bad interface.

I wish it worked as smooth as L4D series but forget that, the combat system makes you break your keyboard because theres nothing in combat system to learn, just hit hit hit, and hit and dont forget to hit again but for sure the zombies will hit you before you even reach them...

Anyway 0 out of 10.
  80. Feb 7, 2014
    Game is boring, boring and boring. Did I mention that is boring game? Basically you encounter zombies. There and everywhere. Graphics is pretty bad and I'm really not into graphics. Rather design. Design is bad. Audio is even worse. I've played this game for 13 hours and I won't be coming back. Ever.
    Game play: 5/10 Not that bad for first two hours.
    Graphics: 3/10 Many effects, bad
    Game play: 5/10 Not that bad for first two hours.
    Graphics: 3/10 Many effects, bad design. And effects are bad, I don't like blooming my eyes.
    Audio 2/10 Seriously, I was considering giving this 1/10

Overall 4/10
  81. Sep 8, 2011
    Immersed on a zombie island in a more realistic approach. While having to repair my weapons on a regular basis may get monotonous it pushes me to be more selective and focus my skills in an intelligent way. Those who are sipping "hate-orade" on this game need to lighten up. It's got a great setting, good looking gameplay, and very fun. It's worth the purchase.
  82. Sep 8, 2011
    First off to all the pc people saying that they dont buy into the accidental release of the wrong version, The console version works just fine. While this game has its bugs (which one doesnt) it still is a great game nonetheless. Now I can see how its boring if youre playing by yourself, but it encourages multiplayer so get some friends together. I enjoy dead island quite a bit and iFirst off to all the pc people saying that they dont buy into the accidental release of the wrong version, The console version works just fine. While this game has its bugs (which one doesnt) it still is a great game nonetheless. Now I can see how its boring if youre playing by yourself, but it encourages multiplayer so get some friends together. I enjoy dead island quite a bit and i believe alot of people just wanted some kind of instant gratification zombie killing game, like L4D. While L4D is fantastic, this is quite a bit different, and it was meant to be. I love the fallout games, and borderlands, and this is a great crossing of both games. While Deep Silver isnt a giant company, it shows in the games overall quality, while not fantastic, it gets the job done. This game obviously wasnt a big budget title like the CoD series, or valves L4D, so im giving Deep Silver credit for doing a damn good job with what they had. All in all i love it and will be enjoying it with friends (and solo) for many months to come Expand
  83. Sep 7, 2011
    If your computer can run this game without any problems, then buy this game!
    This is the best zombie game I have ever played, It has 4 player coop, amazing graphics, and fun, zombie-killing action!
    I played this game ALL NIGHT the day it came out (Monday at 9pm on steam). My friend and I just played and played, killing hundreds of zombies. This is a very fun game, if your comp can
    If your computer can run this game without any problems, then buy this game!
    I played this game ALL NIGHT the day it came out (Monday at 9pm on steam).
    My friend and I just played and played, killing hundreds of zombies.
    This is a very fun game, if your comp can handle it (luckily mine can).
    BUY IT NOW
  84. Sep 18, 2011
    I love this game its Fallout 3 meets L4D. I like the survivalist type games and this definitely gives me that. Sure there are some issues, but I haven't had what allot of people are experiencing since release. People complain of not enough guns...well do you have a loaded AK-47 with 200 rounds in your closet if a breakout starts...didn't think so. I want real world and I think this is aI love this game its Fallout 3 meets L4D. I like the survivalist type games and this definitely gives me that. Sure there are some issues, but I haven't had what allot of people are experiencing since release. People complain of not enough guns...well do you have a loaded AK-47 with 200 rounds in your closet if a breakout starts...didn't think so. I want real world and I think this is a good start. Weapons degrade as they should...trick... always kick zombie to the ground and aim for the head w/blunt weapon and happy times for all. Overall a great game that needs a little polishing...but what new game is perfect from the start? Expand
  85. Oct 19, 2011
    I liked the game, but it has some aspects which are just stupid (like the reactions of over survivors before or after you've rescued them) or the cutscenes in which all the 4 characters are shown, but i liked to look for weapons, mods, id cards and other stuff to lookf for. i'm sorry that i don't have time right now to restart the game with my character (which is around lv 50).
  86. Jul 7, 2012
    This game had a lot going for it, but for me it bombed. The combat feels clunky and oddly limited. The use of stamina is ok, but it is too low. Weapon range for melee seems oddly short with items that would otherwise have a greater swing arc. Damage scale for Player vs NPC is terrible, a zombie can hit you with it's fist and take half your health were as a shotgun blast to the zombie'sThis game had a lot going for it, but for me it bombed. The combat feels clunky and oddly limited. The use of stamina is ok, but it is too low. Weapon range for melee seems oddly short with items that would otherwise have a greater swing arc. Damage scale for Player vs NPC is terrible, a zombie can hit you with it's fist and take half your health were as a shotgun blast to the zombie's head doesn't. Story is so so, typical zombie out break, graphics are ok, physics could use some improvements. Some zombies seem to run through walls, barricades etc. Knock back with certain weapons needs another pass as well. A hit from a sledge should knock someone to the ground. The RPG idea is a good one, but the route this one takes just doesn't fancy my taste. Expand
  87. Sep 12, 2011
    I can't believe that some people give this a stupidly low score because of a couple of minor bugs. This game is great and is far less buggy on the day of release than so many big games I have played lately! Anyone remember Black Ops - unplayable for over a week! For me, the only bugs I have seen is a couple of floating objects (which loads of games have lately) and I can't kick theI can't believe that some people give this a stupidly low score because of a couple of minor bugs. This game is great and is far less buggy on the day of release than so many big games I have played lately! Anyone remember Black Ops - unplayable for over a week! For me, the only bugs I have seen is a couple of floating objects (which loads of games have lately) and I can't kick the sandcastles over (which is not a bug but a shame). My mate who has AMD GFX had issues with some lighting, but that will do down to AMD drivers and not the game as it is perfect on my NV card.

Back to Dead Island... it works like a cross between Fallout 3 and Left 4 Dead set in Crysis - it's great fun. The story and the characters are pretty good and the fighting is awesome. The game is very pretty, but set on a pacific island it's hard not to be pretty - but that aside, the graphics are done well but they are quite intensive.

Can't wait to get home and play this again!
  88. Sep 9, 2011
    This is a great game!
    Your on an island filled with zombies, how can it get any better?
    While its kind of a pain to join coop, I did figure it out.
    Dont pay attention to the bad reviews, those are just people with crap comps that cant play.
  89. Jan 6, 2012
    I was hoping this would be as good as left 4 dead based on the trailer if not better.
    Sadly not!
    The game simply involves endlessly running around doing mundane tasks. I think the lack of weapons at the start only added to this boredom.
    To me this is definitely a lazy console ported game rather than a pc game
  90. Jun 2, 2012
    I was suspicious about that game from the start. In one hand was really teased with trailers where you smash zombies with everything you can found. But in other hand I was skeptical about gameplay and overall feeling.

Because of that I was waiting for Steam 66% off to buy this. I was not wrong. This game is not worth paying full price. I would be more happy if I would pass that one.
  91. Sep 10, 2011
    Dead Island is an entertaining game. It isn't a "open world" but instead a "map world" which forces the player to fast travel to each location. Each map is large enough to have a few hours in but exploring the island on your own isn't a possibility. Is the island (maps) huge? Simply stated, no. Although each map is large/medium it doesn't compare to other game in terms of world size. EvenDead Island is an entertaining game. It isn't a "open world" but instead a "map world" which forces the player to fast travel to each location. Each map is large enough to have a few hours in but exploring the island on your own isn't a possibility. Is the island (maps) huge? Simply stated, no. Although each map is large/medium it doesn't compare to other game in terms of world size. Even exploring is slightly boring and tedious. Only a few interesting things to find but nothing encourages you to explore since the developers put little effort in placing entertaining things/objects/locations to find. Explore, see zombie, kill zombie. That's about it for exploration besides a couple of locations. The graphics are dated but are just barely passable. There are some graphical issues like explosions that are invisible and areas of maps which haven't been properly edited. There are glitches but what game nowadays isn't plagued with them? Most will hopefully be dealt with in upcoming patches. The storyline is laughable and barely interesting. The developers wanted you to feel something for the characters but it never comes across. The voice acting isn't good and the characters themselves (main and side characters) are one dimensional with poorly written dialogue. The developer also made the characters a cliché. For example, the Chinese character has a horrible cliché accent glorified during the 1960-70s kung fu movies. The quests, and I've done most if not all of them, are repetitive. Not to mention there isn't as many as the developer alluded to during production and the promotion of Dead Island. All this stated, the game is fun whether on your own or with a few friends and you'll find yourself doing the quests just for the exp. Overall, this game shows promise but falls drastically short of being what it could have been. However, you'll never get bored of crushing a zombies head with your foot or slicing it's head off or even burning them "alive". I can see this game spawning a Dead Island 2 in the future. Oh and for anyone that thinks this game is going to be like the theatrical trailer for it (the one with the family), you won't get that. It was a theatrical trailer promoting the game (not gameplay) it was meant to put the game in the minds of consumers not to display what the game will or will not have. Expand
  92. Jan 9, 2012
    Before you accuse me of just being another hater, know that I REALLY, REALLY wanted to like this game. The entire idea of being stuck on a island when an outbreak happens and trying to get off of it, sounded fun! However, the design was just as dead as the zombies. This game feels like it was designed and developed by a couple of college kids fresh out of programing school with noBefore you accuse me of just being another hater, know that I REALLY, REALLY wanted to like this game. The entire idea of being stuck on a island when an outbreak happens and trying to get off of it, sounded fun! However, the design was just as dead as the zombies. This game feels like it was designed and developed by a couple of college kids fresh out of programing school with no knowledge of good gaming design. Setting aside all the bugs, glitches, and errors this game is filled with, not to mention poor graphics even on the highest setting, this game is just bad. In some areas you can break glass. I've seen better glass and glass breaking visuals from Games created in 1999. The marketing and hype made this game out to be a serious horror zombie game, yet the mission in the game are out of Sesame Street. Example - You are stuck on a zombie infested island fighting for your life and a woman asks you to go find her Teddy Bear. (WTF MOMENT) right there. Another lady asks you to get her necklace. WTF AGAIN. The game starts by giving you no real reason as to how or why you got on the island other than it looks like a Holiday resort. There's no story line between any characters. The game just dumps you onto a sandy beach to start hacking zombies and figure out what the heck you are doing. After hours of playing this game I found myself making comments to myself like "WTF, I'm stuck on this island about to be eaten by zombies and this fool wants me to get him beer?" Or "Gee, that suitcase must have been restocked with cash since the last time I checked it, 10 seconds ago" Or" Wow, everybody in this island keeps cash in suitcases and dressers?"
    Not to mention just about every zombie owns some sort of knife or weapon. I wonder how they got those past TSA. Any interaction you have with characters is an experience you want to just ran away from. Bad choice of voice actors, bad cut scenes and scripting. I could go on and on about the very bad design, programing and graphics, but I think you get the point. This game was released in what seems to be the ALPHA version. To the credit of the creators, the idea was a good one. The zombies AI is good, ability to break arms, legs, or cut them off, and not just hack and slash until they fall is good as well. I'm running this game on a custom system with an intel I-5, Windows 7 64, 16GB or Corsair Ram, the NVidia GTX560 video card, a 1TB system drive, and the graphics still look bad set to full resolution. Sorry guys, I would have turned the game and mission design over to Professionals and let them take your idea and make it great. If you plan another episode of this game, please put your money and effort into the following.
    1: GAME DESIGN
    2. TESTING, TESTING, TESTING.
    3.STORY TELLING. 4.Hire a good copywriter 5.Invest in good audio design and sound effects
    6.Programing
    7.Quality Control 8.Beta Testers
  93. Feb 3, 2012
    Perseverance, that's what it took to complete this game. Let's start off with the good, nice open world with zombies and combat is fun albeit repetitive. The bad, the game has numerous bugs, awful character development, boring quests, awful leveling structure and a checkpoint system. Lets start with the bugs, which are still pretty bad even after half a year of release. The game hasPerseverance, that's what it took to complete this game. Let's start off with the good, nice open world with zombies and combat is fun albeit repetitive. The bad, the game has numerous bugs, awful character development, boring quests, awful leveling structure and a checkpoint system. Lets start with the bugs, which are still pretty bad even after half a year of release. The game has issues with sound, such as loud crackling and popping noises every once in a while. It progressively gets worse and worse until you reach the sewers where I had to throw my headphones off the audio was so loud. After that it sort of tapers off, but the sewers are a good ~10 hours in the game. The game's character development, as an RPG you'd think they'd invest some time into explaining characters. Nah, you're just there and the only information is the bio at the beginning, they introduce characters but they're cliche and you can't wait until they die. The quests are stupid and repetitive, Dead Island has two types of quests and doesn't even try to hide it. Fetch and escort, that's it. You may have one or two go here, fetch item and protect guy, but that's as interesting as the quests get. One of the problem with quests is there's no reason to do them. The enemies follow a strict level scaling and you never get the feeling that you've ever leveled up. Often times games introduce new abilities to offset this mechanic so it appears you get stronger compared to your opponent but you actually don't, Dead Island does none of this. Once I realized this towards the end of Act 2, I just stockpiled on decent weapons and avoided enemies and quests because I knew the faster I leveled the more obsolete my weapons would become. The checkpoint system is awful because of two reasons, it means I can't leave the game whenever I want; but the real problem with the checkpoint system is it's bugged. The checkpoint system leaves you in unexplained places upon your return. It happens from my count at least a third of my checkpoints left me in weird areas, two of the most noticeable were in Act 2 I left the game, when I returned the game placed my in the Jungle, which is Act 3. So I drove around for an hour trying to figure how to leave and finally just reloaded my last checkpoint which put me back in Act 2. Another checkpoint problem was I left the game and the quest had be going to some control panel to unlock doors, guess what the checkpoint did? It put me right in front of the control panels with the doors unlocked. There's plenty of WTF moments in Dead Island, and while I was able to beat the game by 50% of the main plot progress it was beating me down. The game's shortcomings all slowly start to beat you down until you no longer want to play. You'll spend more time screaming at the screen because of bug's than the actually difficulty. Game took ~16 hours for me to beat but towards 50% I was just rushing through everything just for the sake of completion and not fun. Expand
  94. Dec 18, 2011
    If you've watched the sublime trailers to this game and want it because of what you saw, then do NOT buy this game. This is because you will end up purchasing a game that has nothing to do with what you saw. This game is simply an arcade button smasher. There is no story, skill or character development that is part of this story. While the trailers alluded to a story with meaning thatIf you've watched the sublime trailers to this game and want it because of what you saw, then do NOT buy this game. This is because you will end up purchasing a game that has nothing to do with what you saw. This game is simply an arcade button smasher. There is no story, skill or character development that is part of this story. While the trailers alluded to a story with meaning that you'll participate in, the game is so divorced from the trailers that it actually has as much meaning as Pac-Man.

While some may find this game entertaining, you will not find anyone thrilled with it. If you're looking for a button smasher with team-play and no story, stick to Team Fortress 2 -- it's at least free and has higher quality gameplay.

As for the company that created the trailer (often a different company that produces the game), there are three things:

1. You should develop games. You clearly understand how to tell a story and the meaning of life. 2. You should be fired. You presented a game that doesn't exist.
    3. The developers who approved these trailers should have stepped back and realized that they do not represent the game whatsoever.

So this game is a definite miss for me, as much as I really wanted to enjoy it.
  95. Mar 22, 2012
    Stupid story, stupid side quests, pointless weapon mods and only few "good" ones and interest about this game dies after first play-through. Dead Island tries to be partly RPG but that is impossible because game is too short and getting survivor to max level you need to play this through about 8 to 10 times and after that you have no interest to try doing same thing with other survivor.Stupid story, stupid side quests, pointless weapon mods and only few "good" ones and interest about this game dies after first play-through. Dead Island tries to be partly RPG but that is impossible because game is too short and getting survivor to max level you need to play this through about 8 to 10 times and after that you have no interest to try doing same thing with other survivor. All survivors have some specialities so first choice is going to be only choice. I think this studio was very lucky with this game because main idea has so much potential and its hard to understand why anyone did not make this kind of game before. Game was released as some beta version and after that there has been million different bugs, AI problems, bugs, problems and DLC:s were not worth of paying. Arena was ok but Ryder White? F*cking single player DLC? Seriously? I have no idea what these guys were thinking... Expand
  96. Sep 7, 2011
    Having been expecting a turkey having seen "Call of Juarez 3 : The Cartel" (using the same Chrome5 engine), I was pleasantly happy to see this is pretty good. About 2 hours into the game and I find the crafting decent (nice to see pockets are not limited for crafting parts, only main weapons), Co-Op seems to be similar to idea in Borderlands (Harder and more zombies and loot for everyHaving been expecting a turkey having seen "Call of Juarez 3 : The Cartel" (using the same Chrome5 engine), I was pleasantly happy to see this is pretty good. About 2 hours into the game and I find the crafting decent (nice to see pockets are not limited for crafting parts, only main weapons), Co-Op seems to be similar to idea in Borderlands (Harder and more zombies and loot for every player that joins in) in that even solo mode is advertised as a LAN or Online game through Steam so folk can join if you want them to without need for solo and multi characters. Slighty disappointed with lack of customising on the graphics settings, maxed out in 1080p FRAPS was reporting 145fps which is impressive, but I'd rather have it limited to 60fps and better quality textures and tessalation for Dx11 owners etc. Overall the game does add a new zombie game to the collection and it's a worthy choice, unlike rubbish like dead rising 2 or resident evil 5 which suck. Expand
  97. Sep 7, 2011
    not a 10; game is an 8.5 but i just wanted to counter-act all the tweens raging about release issues. honestly its sad seeing the troll rage on the steam forums for the most trivial reasons only 12 hours after release. this is just one strong example of how metacritic userscores fail
  98. Sep 15, 2011
    this game is a smash hit ive played for over 5 hr and have yet to see a bug played by yourself its scary as hell but with a friend or two it the most fun ive ever had on a game and ive been at it before pong its funny to see how many give it neg reviews but yet its top of the steam sale's maybe its time to upgrade your computers or stop thinking a game is gona launch bug free. I just gotthis game is a smash hit ive played for over 5 hr and have yet to see a bug played by yourself its scary as hell but with a friend or two it the most fun ive ever had on a game and ive been at it before pong its funny to see how many give it neg reviews but yet its top of the steam sale's maybe its time to upgrade your computers or stop thinking a game is gona launch bug free. I just got this sep 6 and it running like butter max settings on my 4 yr old dell inspiron computer with only a so so video card upgrade Expand
  99. Sep 7, 2011
    Dead Island,.. A big WOOOW. The game is beautiful, awesome storyline, stunning voiceacting, hilarious killing mechanism.
    If you are one of those who likes zombies, and want to kill them like in Dead Rising, then this game is definitely for you. Deep Silver did an awesome job giving us a great opportunity to live the game environment like if we were the character and it allows to play with friend in co-op which is the key of the game success!!
    This is one of the most expected games of this year (2011) and i'm enjoying every moment of it.
    This game is worth every penny spend buying the game. Buy it and play with your friends!!
    I'm promising you something, it will be one of your best experience when playing with your friend in co-op.
  100. Sep 7, 2011
    Dead Island is a grounding breaking game in the zombie genre. The graphics engine provides a truly beautiful landscape that causes the player to become fully immersed in the apocalypse. The game combines a lot of elements from a lot of other good successful games - It is a combination of games like Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, and Borderlands. Gameplay itself is exhilarating and fresh. TheDead Island is a grounding breaking game in the zombie genre. The graphics engine provides a truly beautiful landscape that causes the player to become fully immersed in the apocalypse. The game combines a lot of elements from a lot of other good successful games - It is a combination of games like Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, and Borderlands. Gameplay itself is exhilarating and fresh. The games begins as you learn the mechanics by taking amateur weapons like a paddle to defend yourself against a few walking undead. As the game progresses and players learn how to work together and coordinate themselves against zombie attacks, the game seems easier and more relaxing in such a beautiful landscape. The chapter one "tutorial" then begins for real - difficultly ramps up once players begin to become skilled with one another, and it no longer is a "4 player hunting party" but a "4 player party fight for survival." Zombies become faster and more horrifying. You no longer clear a building for all its loot, but run from place to place picking up scavenged objects to simply stay alive. The game works well - you eventually develop a healthy paranoia and almost never feel safe at every turn, which leads to a great adrenaline filled experience. Even better, this great experience lasts a long time...I have more than 20 hours played and still haven't even scratched more than half of the game content. The game has a high replay value with four character classes each with three separate skill trees. The only negative point I can add about the game is that its not a single player game. Its not meant for single player. As difficulty ranks up it would be extremely challenging to survive the undead by yourself...and the developers know this and even implemented an easy to use system to meet new people in case you don't have friends. If you do have friends that play games Dead Island is a must get for all of you. Nothing is a better cooperative experience than screaming at the top of your lungs in pure horror because your friends can't drive the getaway vehicle fast enough, or aren't climbing to safety in time for your own demise. A person reading these reviews may wonder why a game as great as this has such a mixed response, and the reason why is because many people downloaded an incorrect version of the game. Since the real version is now out, players can enjoy an ENTIRELY bug free game that is a must have for 2011. Expand
  101. Aug 25, 2012

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Dead Island is maybe rough around the edges, has things that could have been better and has some strange solutions to gaming mechanics, but really, who cares? The main thing, close combat with zombies on an open environment, is both exceptionally well done and most importantly, great fun. Even alone. In the land of blindingly pretty, but simplified tubeshooters the ugly zombie game is the king. [Sept 2011]
    Dead Island has plenty of reasons to be likeable: a satisfying duration, enough freedom and interactivity to create addiction and enough potential to become a classic. And although it isn't what the elitists would call a mandatory title, I think it's infectious enough for me to pull my friend's sleeve to buy the game too.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    It's the mission design that proves most disappointing. Its scale is highly ambitious but Dead Island's population of living dead aren't enough to compensate for its barren lack of variety and an increasingly tedious structure.