Dead Space 3 PC

6.0

1. Feb 10, 2013
    Dead space 3 takes the worst of its predecessors and markets them as the best features, while ignoring the rejuvenating elements of Dead Space series. The gameplay returns to the highly-predictable enemies of Dead Space 1, while augmenting the gameplay with swarms of enemies, sprinting, dodging, and firefights involving chest-high walls. While Dead Space the first had an amazingDead space 3 takes the worst of its predecessors and markets them as the best features, while ignoring the rejuvenating elements of Dead Space series. The gameplay returns to the highly-predictable enemies of Dead Space 1, while augmenting the gameplay with swarms of enemies, sprinting, dodging, and firefights involving chest-high walls. While Dead Space the first had an amazing atmosphere, and Dead Space 2 had a more subtle element, this third installment prefers to hold your head in place and yell in your ear, "This is erotically disturbing! Are you frightened yet?!" And the answer is "No", Dead Space 3, "No I'm not frightened, I'm bored." Expand
  2. Feb 5, 2013
    Look... I never felt the need in the past to create a Metacritic account, just to give my opinion in the game. I always felt there was already a review making my point for me or I just did feel like a was the best person to be a sample of the player demographic for a game. But this time, I felt a need to do so.

I am not a easily turn down or disappointed person. I have finish plenty of

I am not a easily turn down or disappointed person. I have finish plenty of games way worst than Dead Space 3 in the past. My tolerance level is very high. But this game... made me sick. I consider myself a hardcore fan of the franchise. I got a fair amount of collector items and others gizmo related to the games. Including the full size Plasma Cutter from the first game, every films, some articles of clothing's and some other things like poster and such. Deciding if this make my opinion biased is up to you, but I felt I needed to throw this out there.

I tried to go in this game with the most neutral attitude I could, so my opinion would be biased. I tried not to judge at face value as much as I could... but... I simply couldn't do it. This game is not bad... its insulting. Its insulting to its fan base and to its target audience. Everything that ever made the game good is now either gone or broken. This game was about survival, scavenging the bare minimum and fighting a loosing battle against creature that are clearly stronger, faster and more resilient that you. It was about the oppression of empty space, the feeling of incoming doom, the loneliness and the tense feeling of having nowhere to run in a claustrophobic and dark environment. Here... its just about shooting. Shot the Necromorph, shot the Unitologist and shot more Necroporph. Never before did I ever left the Necromorphes being, without a better choice for words, so lifeless. Its previous game they were this hunting entity, omnipresent at all time, keeping you on your toes at all times since they could move freely in the environment. They are just obstacles now. Lying down, death faking, obstacles. You go through featureless rooms after features less rooms and get rid of the next obstacle. Shoot-out are not fun. The fact that I can crouch, made me cringe. Its not much the actions of crouching, but what it represent. it represent the state the game have reached. A point were taking cover from enemy fire was a necessity because of the turn the game as taken in the form of a generic third person shooter Gears of War like. The coop was something I really wasn't agreeing on from the very beginning and I know I wasn't the only one. The idea of having a sidekick in a survival game is without a doubt the most game breaking idea that genre can make. It break the atmosphere the game could have ever tried to create. But at one point Visceral told us the Single and Coop were to independent story line and both would have their own flow. Lies. The game was clearly build as a coop game from the ground up. There's a big difference between different story lines and making the sidekick characters jumping in and out of the story in single player.

Also, while on the topic of survival horror. Its say on the name Survival. And for me it included struggling with resources. Having the bare minimum at all time, keeping the atmosphere tense as you dread the next encounter, with half a clip left. The quick decision you got to make "Should I fight or run to keep the few shot a have left". Searching every last inch of the game for that Plasma energy clip and this feeling of joy as you find those rare items that make you life just a bit easier. Two words for that Inventory full". I was playing on Impossible from the start, because I figured I was the same game right, so since i'm used to it it shouldn't make sure I get the most of it by going all out. Never at any point did I ever struggle with Med-packs or ammo. My inventory was full at all time. Never did I felt I was in real danger. And you know why? Autosaves.... in a survival game... about struggling to survive.

I can't say I am disappointed with the game, because really I already had very low expectations about it. But, in the end even though I went on and on about how much I truly despise that game, if you take a few steps back and look at the big picture, it is not a bad game. Its simply not a good successor to the franchise. You know a game a stray from the right path when you can change the game name any problems.

Overall, it is not a bad game in its core, its just an ungraceful sequel. The big problem with this game is what it represent. It represent profit over substance. This is the sad state were the gaming industry is going. And it make me deeply depressed.

If you are still reading, thank you. It means a lot to me... almost as much as this franchise used to to me.
  3. Feb 5, 2013
    Let me start by saying I loved the first two games!.... Typical third game in a successful franchise. Due to the success of the previous games, developers (or more likely EA) thought the last game in the series needs to be bigger, more action packed than the games before. This way they made a game that falls into the 'action' genre rather than, the 'horror/survival' genre. The game isLet me start by saying I loved the first two games!.... Typical third game in a successful franchise. Due to the success of the previous games, developers (or more likely EA) thought the last game in the series needs to be bigger, more action packed than the games before. This way they made a game that falls into the 'action' genre rather than, the 'horror/survival' genre. The game is very action packed, the pacing is very fast (explosions, crashes, push "E" before you fall from the cliff, huge tentacles attack you...). This way the game is less scary than previously. The monsters are almost the same as the ones in the previous games (not too original...). The characters feel rather generic. The story is very cliche ridden. The weapon customization part is a very nice addition, wish we could customize our suits too. I really like the DS1 and DS2, but the DS3 feels rather generic. Expand
  4. Feb 22, 2013
    I'm a fan of Dead Space. It's the best survival-horror I ever played. Everything there fits nearly perfect. I didn't believe that DS2 would be scary, I thought it'll be a stupid shooter. Well I was wrong. For that time. And now DS3. The example how money greed make a great franchise die. I'll tell why.
    The scenario. I don't like where they took the story, but it's their franchise and they decide where the story goes, so no ranting about it. It's epic and Hollywood-like. Nothing special.
    Human enemies. Not only because they are dumb as hell, but because it changes the "death" experience. In original DS we saw, heard (audiologs) and read (text logs) people's deaths and sufferings. If you are a mentally normal human (and if you bothered reading the logs, of course) then it will terrify you. Isaac didn't kill people in 1st title, killed 2 in 2nd title because he had no choice. And now an army of unitologists and a completely new character Danik. On Ishimura we read logs about that mad unitologist Mercer, then at the end of the game, we see him killing a guy tied to a chair. And WHO THE HELL IS DANIK?! Ok, next.
    The monsters. They have so much armor on them, that all the embarrassing mutations of human body are covered. The monsters aren't scary. And they ARE a lot faster. Previously the sprinted to you. Now they group their body, cover their head with claws and slide to you as if the floor was covered with butter. DS taught us that one well-placed necromorph is scarier then a dozen running in your face. And now they don't stalk the corridors. They are always in the vents. Making them smarter and giving them cheater-spawning-behind-your-back ability are not the same. Their appearance is predictable. If on your way from point A to point B a couple of coffins or vents didn't provide you a necro, then they sure will on your way back to point A. I really respect Visceral for the brave things they did before. They were criticized for lurkers being baby-necromorphs. Then they added the Pack and those tiny explosive babies to DS2. That was brave. Now we have the same mobs, but those are just Dogs and Starved people?! That is a huge step towards the casual player and by that I mean those of age from 12 to 16. For Gods sake the game isn't even PEGI 18+!!!
    The single player design. Now this is not even funny. I'll try to make my point. In DS1 there are 3 of us. Kendra and Hammond are not engineers and Kendra is protected by Hammond at first (makes sense), so we fix the ship alone. As we see they are having a hard time as we do. In DS2 we've been in stasis for 3 years. We know no one here. Who can help us fighting and fixing things? Ellie (pilot and a woman) and crazy Stross. So we're alone. OK, makes sense.
    In DS3 there are 5 ppl, warming their butts there while I fetch like an errand boy. Norman and Carver are military men, for God sake! And all the time: OHMYGODWHATISTHAT and were alone and they are still in group. This must be luck. We meet up. Yay. The second later: OHNOEVERYBODYTAKECOVER. We're separated. I'm alone. And they are still in a group! Come on!!! And so on, until you see credits.
    Next. Isaac. He was cool in DS1. He remains silent, but everything he does and all his thoughts are of the one who holds the controller. At the end we see him exhausted. It's almost rewarding. Same in DS2. In DS3 he's running everywhere like he's immortal. I can't feel like trying to survive when Isaac says "it's probably swarmed with necromorphs but the resources are worth looking!". And no more Nicole...yeah, he's done with the guilt, but...in a log in the first room he claims he lost he's soul in those events, when Norman explains their mission Isaac says "No! I'm done with that! Find someone else...". We believe him, cuz we've been there. And he goes there without fear or hesitation like superhero. But that's not a big problem among those I stated first.
    It's not the whole list. Plasma cutter is indeed worthless. And you go through the dark corridor and there is a locked door with a stupid sign "Co-op"...yeeeah, so atmospheric! The settings aren't scary...at all. The rooms and corridors are similar to each other. And they are twice bigger, for co-op of course, and the size of these settings ruin the whole isolation claustrophobic atmosphere.
    The idea of body temperature was great! That would be a great survival element, but no! Visceral are too afraid to make the game challenging except throwing a ton of annoying enemies at us.
    Technically dead space 3 is a good game,if we forget for a time that it is Dead Space.I don't regret the money I paid. Btw,I pirated the first two,completed them and bought then.I'm thankful to visceral for what they've done so far, but DS3 is a game for kids. This is my personal opinion.
  5. Feb 5, 2013
    The "ATMOSPHERE"" that made the previous 2 games in the series is gone but if u looking for a third person action game just like Resident Evil 5,then u should get this.
  6. Feb 9, 2013
    It was boring. FOV is too clipped and you walk too slow. Combined with all the map backtracking it's obvious they are trying to pad the game time. Characters are stereotypical and jarringly unrealistic. I'd rather do housekeeping than waste my time on DS3.
  7. Feb 6, 2013
    Haters gonna hate. This is just as good as Dead Space 1 2 honestly. The coop is actually a neat addition to the series and the game is still scary if you play it at a higher difficulty setting. Weapon Crafting is handled well and adds a nice layer of customization. For anyone having issues with the FPS being locked to 30: Turn vsync off in the game and force vsync through your GPU controlHaters gonna hate. This is just as good as Dead Space 1 2 honestly. The coop is actually a neat addition to the series and the game is still scary if you play it at a higher difficulty setting. Weapon Crafting is handled well and adds a nice layer of customization. For anyone having issues with the FPS being locked to 30: Turn vsync off in the game and force vsync through your GPU control panel. After doing that I was able to play the game maxed out 150fps. Expand
  8. Apr 1, 2013
    EA you've done it again. You've ruined another franchise for me. Honestly though this game is overall bad in my opinion. The first one was pretty good but popup scares wore down and it just became bland. Second one was more action than horror and the third one was Lost Planet: Dead Space Edition. The first thing that pissed me off was ammo was for all guns. The second thing was the microEA you've done it again. You've ruined another franchise for me. Honestly though this game is overall bad in my opinion. The first one was pretty good but popup scares wore down and it just became bland. Second one was more action than horror and the third one was Lost Planet: Dead Space Edition. The first thing that pissed me off was ammo was for all guns. The second thing was the micro transactions. The third thing was this story. It felt like it was forced out to make it so they could make more money. The fourth thing was the ending. It wasn't at the same level as BioWare's Mass Effect 3 but my God was it disappointing. The fifth thing was Co-Op. How can a game scare me if me and my friend are laughing and playing around? The sixth was the fact that enemies no longer surprise you. They all come out single file and I just blasted em... this game was retardedly easy. The graphics were nice. The combat was more of the same. Overall this gets a 2 out of 10 only because the graphics are amazing. Everything else was just a big ol can of fail. Expand
  9. Mar 16, 2013
    A game series which started out so promising This game is with a simple word boring. Where as in the older games, enemies used to deploy and sneak on you where you least expected it. In Dead Space 3, you may expect enemies to constantly pop up right under your nose. The combat is far from exciting or fun.

This truly seems like more of a milked out gameplay style, rather than a

This truly seems like more of a milked out gameplay style, rather than a respectable sequel to Dead Space.

After my 15th death on a cliff climbing sequence, I lost it.
  10. Jul 26, 2013
    Another reviewer said it best. Greed over Substance. Typical scenario where a great franchise is ruined by Greed. Just to appeal to the masses (simple minded masses) that just want run n gun. I am SO GLAD I did not buy the game and played it on a friend computer. If I had, I would've been very upset. I had a feeling beforehand this game would be a terrible successor and IAnother reviewer said it best. Greed over Substance. Typical scenario where a great franchise is ruined by Greed. Just to appeal to the masses (simple minded masses) that just want run n gun. I am SO GLAD I did not buy the game and played it on a friend computer. If I had, I would've been very upset. I had a feeling beforehand this game would be a terrible successor and I saved my money. My friend loved the game, but then again he never played the first two and he is simple minded. Enough said. Expand
  11. Sep 8, 2013
    Whoever decided to change dead space into an action game, throw all tension out the window and yet keep the clunky controls should be fired.

What else can I say, the story is mired heavily by the giant boat anchor that is the love triangle between captain forgettable chick from two (who left isaac because of his fixation on the markers....so that she could hunt markers, I'm not kidding it is that stupid)

and half way through the game you're fighting human enemys (and at the start to) from behind knee high walls...getting so damn tired of homogenization of games in the AAA industry...why would I want to play gears or cod or any other fudging game in dead space when I could go play those games?

I can only imagine it gets bearable in co-op...or there's a huge bloody pay off story wise at the end otherwise this is a complete waste of money and I urge everyone to go elsewhere, there are better story's and better game play elsewhere sometimes both in the same game. Total disappointment.
  12. Apr 28, 2013
    Too many action set pieces, no horror or thrill to the game at all. EA doesn't understand what we want as fans of this franchise, nor do they care. They want to expand a player base to snare some of their Call of Duty gamers, but that comes at the cost of all the great things the original Dead Space did so well. There's no atmosphere here, no sense of creeping dread. I feel like I'mToo many action set pieces, no horror or thrill to the game at all. EA doesn't understand what we want as fans of this franchise, nor do they care. They want to expand a player base to snare some of their Call of Duty gamers, but that comes at the cost of all the great things the original Dead Space did so well. There's no atmosphere here, no sense of creeping dread. I feel like I'm farming components in an MMO and every once in a while I get an interactive cut scene to break up the crappy action game combat. At least do yourself a favor and try before you buy, see if a friend has the game or try it on a console first. Expand
  13. May 21, 2013
    This is the worst game in the franchise. The first game was good. There were a few problems and it wasn't perfect but I really liked the idea and the direction you took. The Dead Space WIP to create a great franchise had begun! The second game sucked balls and left me disappointed. I made the decision to never buy games from EA again after playing it.

After playing this game on my

After playing this game on my brother's Steam account I can say that this is just terrible. The characters don't feel realistic, the gameplay hadn't been improved much, the story was bland and uninteresting. I will never again buy a game from EA in my life. They destroy everything they lay their dirty hands on. Oh and "game reviewers", go play some games. It's obvious most of the time that either you don't know ANYTHING about games or that you're payed to give the game a positive review. get your together.
  14. Sep 25, 2013
    How on Earth did this get a half-decent review from any credible source? I've played Dead Space 3 with several friends and we're unanimously of the opinion that it's an absolute joke of a game. Below, I'll include why and I just want to preface by stating all this pretty objective is purely due to Dead Space 3's quality as a game, not because of it not living up to my vision for theHow on Earth did this get a half-decent review from any credible source? I've played Dead Space 3 with several friends and we're unanimously of the opinion that it's an absolute joke of a game. Below, I'll include why and I just want to preface by stating all this pretty objective is purely due to Dead Space 3's quality as a game, not because of it not living up to my vision for the series or anything of that sort.

Story: This couldn't possibly be a serious attempt by a professional. No. I...I just can't believe that. Not only does every chapter (there're 18ish of them) follow the EXACT same subplot, but the greater plot is absolutely terrible. Gaping plot holes, the worst character development I've ever seen, and twists/turns that make no sense whatsoever. One part that really got me is that in order to follow several huge, massively important parts of a character's story, you have to have read one of the Dead Space novels. Even someone who has played ever game in the series would've been lost. Players shouldn't have to wikipedia unrelated book summaries in order to follow what's happening on the screen--that's the worst kind of lazy writing. Especially if this game was truly intended to broaden the base.

And I haven't even gotten to the dialogue yet. Oh god, it was...oh GOD. The characters you're supposed to feel sympathy for? Their lines are so, so, so, so bad that by the end of the 4th chapter you'll be begging for their immediate deaths just so they'll stop assailing you with their nightmarishly shoddy dialogue. And I suspect we're not supposed to find the villain so scary because you're terrified they'll open their mouths and make your brain bleed. On the plus side, my friend who was a mite intoxicated seemed to enjoy the writing in a so-bad-it's-great way and made a delightful drinking game out of it.

Gameplay: We often refer to this game as "Mario Party: EA Edition". It felt like the overwhelming supermajority of the game was spent doing incredibly pointless minigames with very little in the way of instructions. One of the more frustrating minigames I can recall was a bossfight in which you had to harpoon the thing and tear it apart. After several failed runs and a few minutes on youtube, we found out that we'd gotten sequence of actions correct but unless the game host is playing on default resolution, the game doesn't realize you're doing things right and you lose. That was the norm, not the exception. Long runs of extremely tedious tasks that--if you do lose--you lose because of bugs and have to redo the whole thing. Gunplay itself was more fun than the minigames, but still pretty boring. The only real challenge in this game comes from...false difficulty. Things like being staggerlocked coming around a corner, 1-shot by something you can't see, bug grabbed through a wall while minigaming and unable to fight back, etc...

Plus there's grinding. In what's essentially a single-player campaign, you grind for RNG loot. Think about what sort of game this must be for a system like that to exist and then you'll see why it's probably not a good idea here.

Technical issues: I had to sit out while my partner soloed the final boss because the game turned my character into an invulnerable, immobile bobblehead midget. There's one bossfight you can't beat unless the game host is using the default game resolution--and it's a pretty common issue. There's constant desync for the Carver player due to constant "connections interrupted". We tried with multiple people and net that runs everything else just fine. So either Origin is especially eager to make your life miserable here (as a longtime Origin user, I'll readily believe something went wrong there), this game requires a lot of port tuning, or there's something seriously broken with the PC co-op itself. Carver player was probably DCed a total of 10 seconds every 60.

As you might surmise, I'm absolutely astonished this game was approved for release. Huge swathes on multiple fronts--from the overall plot to the dialogue to the characters to the gameplay to bug testing to encounter design--need to be taken back to the drawing board. And that it has remotely decent reviews is downright appalling.
  15. Aug 15, 2013
    All the good things in this game mean absolutely nothing when the insanely terrible save system drives you nuts after each time you exit the game because you have to repeat last 15 minutes of the game. After I've lost my progress for the third time I've just uninstalled this crap.
  16. Jul 20, 2013
    Thank you EA for ruining the best horror franchise that was on the market. Instead of creating a point of difference to every other "popular" shooter game out there like DS1 and to a lesser extent DS2, EA decides to turn a quality scary and tense exploration and survival game into a quick time event driven COD clone. I hope people's heads have rolled for this mess. If i were in charge atThank you EA for ruining the best horror franchise that was on the market. Instead of creating a point of difference to every other "popular" shooter game out there like DS1 and to a lesser extent DS2, EA decides to turn a quality scary and tense exploration and survival game into a quick time event driven COD clone. I hope people's heads have rolled for this mess. If i were in charge at EA, the first rule for any new game coming out would be BE DIFFERENT. We have played COD for 10 bloody years, create something new FFS Expand
  17. Mar 13, 2013
    Well, they managed to ruin Dead Space. Even after the great first two games, I believed this would be a franchise to last, but I was wrong. Nothing in the gaming industry can succeed and then not become casualised, money-grabbing garbage. The story is just uninspired, will make you scoff a lot because of the entire action movie turn, and characters provoke no significant emotionalWell, they managed to ruin Dead Space. Even after the great first two games, I believed this would be a franchise to last, but I was wrong. Nothing in the gaming industry can succeed and then not become casualised, money-grabbing garbage. The story is just uninspired, will make you scoff a lot because of the entire action movie turn, and characters provoke no significant emotional response. The whole survival atmosphere is completely gone. While I enjoyed floating in vacuum in the ship graveyard and exploring the dark corridors, I wasn't scared at all. I was seldom scared playing any of the Dead Space games, being a hardened horror veteran, but what was really great about those games was how disturbing they were from the audio logs to the twisted necromorphs. Now all of that is gone. Audio and text logs are there but they are noticeably worse. Necromorphs... entirely ruined. First, nearly all of their disturbing aspects are removed bony structure, mutilated bodies, tormented screams are all gone. They have become typical pretend-scary monsters. A lot of them have been redone to make the game more fitting for the mainstream industry(lurkers are no longer babies but dogs, from what I see). And worst of all, the thing which takes the biggest chunk out of the gameplay they are goddamn bullet sponges. It takes two shots from a line cutter (a mining tool, high-tech thing designed to cut freakin' rock) to take off their limbs. To top it all off, they have completely generic placements and come in swarms. With melee attacks utterly useless, and those things coming at you 4 at a time in a narrow corridor, initiating the same button-mashing quicktime event 3 times in a row, you can see how it all turns out. Weapon customization has been greatly improved, but with a bad gameplay like this and scarce opportunities for modification, it barely makes a difference. Graphics I won't even mention, because you already know that's the only good thing in a game like this. Personally, I find this game barely playable. All Dead Space fans have my condolences. Expand
  18. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is plain awful. Instead of the survival horror game we once knew and loved, this game is simply a Third person shooter game. The core of dead space games was to conserve what limited resources you have and thus encouraged the player to shoot for the limbs, which in this game almost completely ignores. It does not matter if a player is aims for the limbs, the necromorphs wouldThis game is plain awful. Instead of the survival horror game we once knew and loved, this game is simply a Third person shooter game. The core of dead space games was to conserve what limited resources you have and thus encouraged the player to shoot for the limbs, which in this game almost completely ignores. It does not matter if a player is aims for the limbs, the necromorphs would simply charge at you full speed. The enemies are rigged so that players are inclined to go for weapons with high damage per second, like a warrior, instead of tactically favorable weapons, like an engineer would. Although the weapon modding idea was great, it was executed poorly. The laziness in the level design and the horror element was palpable. Necromorphs would pop in simultaneously in great numbers and just inundate the player in numbers instead of tactically popping out so as to scare the player. Due to the fact that I enjoyed Dead Space 1 and 2 too much I played the game just for the story; however, the story was equally bad as the game-play.

In short, Dead space took the same road as the Resident evil series as it completely abandoned survival horror element and went for just more shooting and killing. This game is designed to appeal to the casuals who simply want to shoot and kill. This game requires no survival tactics whatsoever and its previous game did. And, I don't think I even need to mention the evils of micro-transactions in this game on top of other flaws. Do not listen to big company reviews, such as IGN or Gamestop, because they will do whatever in their power to sell more of this failure and disappointment. This game deserves a solid 3
  19. May 6, 2013
    The Dead Space franchise moved forward, and sadly it has also been corrupted by EA's PureGreed engine.
    resources to be grinded for no reason, weapon ammo dumbed-down, game pace speed up AGAIN they had already done it on dead space 2 diverging the game even more from the horror roots.

Weapon crafting system almost nice, but too obviously just a plot to convince people to throw away money to build their perfect weapon, along with an overly long and infinite achievement list to unlock certain weapon parts and armor, again to push no bully the gamer which already purchased the game with an AAA price tag to throw even more money towards EA.

Worse still, all the hallucination scenes and the last game chapters were seemingly ripped off the base game and tacked on a DLC to gaugue more money from the players, giving the story an odd pace on both the base game with its non-ending, and the 'expansion'.

The franchise would deserve a better number, but unfortunately it has to be averaged with EA's low rating, making it deserve no more than a 5.
  20. Sep 14, 2013
    I used to be a real Dead Space fan. I played the first two games many times, but back then they were not action games. Dead Space 3 is packed with mini transactions and fails to scare the player.
  21. Dec 16, 2013
    I bought this game when it came out at full price and I really wish I hadn't. The game itself is pretty much the same as dead space 2 except they made certain features of the game worse in my opinion. For example, the weapon and suit upgrading systems nearly made me cry. Come to think of it, especially the weapon upgrading system. The whole workbench and mineral farming concept of deadI bought this game when it came out at full price and I really wish I hadn't. The game itself is pretty much the same as dead space 2 except they made certain features of the game worse in my opinion. For example, the weapon and suit upgrading systems nearly made me cry. Come to think of it, especially the weapon upgrading system. The whole workbench and mineral farming concept of dead space 3 was thoroughly displeasing and it thoroughly turned me off on going to the workbench for upgrades and inventory/safe management. I guess the one saving grace of this last installment of the dead space franchise is that there is Co-op which did make the game more fun, but in my opinion this game is just not worth it. Dead space 2 remains a classic in my games library but Dead Space 3 leaves me wanting for a full refund. Expand
  22. Jul 15, 2013
    As the third installment in the pretty brilliant Dead Space series, it has become increasingly difficult to remain as scary and touching as the series was at its inception. Dead Space 3 does many things very well, but seems to have fallen short on exactly those strengths that made this franchise unique. Dead Space 3 has turned the franchise into a very straightforward 3rd person shooter,As the third installment in the pretty brilliant Dead Space series, it has become increasingly difficult to remain as scary and touching as the series was at its inception. Dead Space 3 does many things very well, but seems to have fallen short on exactly those strengths that made this franchise unique. Dead Space 3 has turned the franchise into a very straightforward 3rd person shooter, with some scary moments.

Gameplay-wise, Dead Space 3 offers a revamped Weapon system, where players can create completely custom weapons that combine any two weapon types, most of which we have seen before, and some of which are brand new. While heralded by many reviewers as a great feature, it actually manages to completely destroy one of the principles that made Dead Space what it was: surviving on the bare minimum, being short on everything, having to adapt your playstyle to availability of Shops, ammo and weaponry. No more of this with the new Bench, you will have the most destructive weapon you could possibly build, within the first few hours of play.

And of course it IS fun to play around with the bench and blast away the uglies. But it gets boring very quickly, and then you realize the new customization options completely destroy the game's feel of tension and fear. It gets worse, though. At some point you have the materials you need to start upgrading your already overpowered weaponry through Circuits, to ensure the need to progress slowly and with care is now completely obliterated.

Where Dead Space 1 offered a quality storyline like few games can and have done, Dead Space 3 has reduced the story to a bare necessity to justify the large amount of content it has. Because yes, there are many levels to play and places to discover, though all of them are fairly linear and offer little in terms of surprise or shock.

In conclusion, I feel it is safe to say that Dead Space 3 is a very solid 3rd person action game, but no longer a very solid Survival Horror game. If you are looking for and expecting the latter like most players of the franchise, this can be a bit unsettling.
  23. Sep 1, 2013
    As a stand alone game, its ok,... mediocre 3rd person shooter,
    As a stand alone game, its ok,... mediocre 3rd person shooter,
    but comparing this to dead space 1 & 2 its horrible. For the first time in my entire dead space experience, i was bored.... its much easier now, i actually played with 1 hand, for a few minutes and never doped below 50% hp..... and this is on normal.... on DS1 & 2 normal was challenging... not here The necromorphs are much less scary in this, heck the game in genral is not even a horror... the enemies are laughingly predictable, and there is no suspense. In DS1 & 2 i was afraid to walk into a room, scared what was waiting for me, and knew there would always be a surprise, but well done. In DS3 not even close... the rooms are much bigger thus taking away much of the scary atmosphere... ugh just so much wrong with this game, IF YOU PLAYED DEAD SPACE 1 AND 2 I WOULD SUGGEST AVOIDING THIS AT ALL COST.
  24. Jan 1, 2014
    While the weapon crafting/upgrading system was an awesome addition, and the co-op feature made it incredibly fun, the awful writing and unbelievably frustrating limitations really made me begin to hate parts of this game.

For the most part, the story was fine. but towards the end I began to lose interest and frankly it all got a bit ridiculous and silly. I couldn't give a for the characters; I was bored of the tedious attempts at making the player feel emotions for them, especially for Ellie. This, and the way the game builds up this hatred for the main antagonist, then doesn't actually let you do anything to them. Just an unsatisfying rock crush.

But yeah, the most frustrating bit by far was the limitations of not being able to jump or even slightly fall. Like, not even from a 10cm ledge. there were invisible walls EVERYWHERE, and where there was a cliff or a deep hole, with a clear gap there to walk off of, you are just met by an invisible wall. every time.
  25. Mar 15, 2013
    I explain the '5' grade at the end, but let's make believe it starts out as a 10 first:

O.K. This game is very, very loooong! Which is a good thing of course. I feel I received my monies worth, that much is for sure. Most of the pay money for DLC is worthless, except for "Awakened" which adds more game length. The others are just suits(all act the same and have same space; only reason to buy one is to look 'cool') and weapons(which you can make yourself for free anyway at the bench)

Anyway, I did enjoy the game, especially the way the bots talk(also something you must buy with real money, i'm afraid) This quite funny littlebit should have been included with the game's price; I hate that they charged me for it; its really greedy petty on the part of EA. That's why an otherwise 10 game gets its rating cut in half in my humble opinion. Thank you for reading, Mr. Dellacava
  26. Sep 4, 2013
    The third entry in the Dead Space series is more of a mixed bag than its predecessors. Right as the game begins, it's made pretty clear that Dead Space 3 is no longer even attempting to be a horror game as you're thrown into the action and start off by doing a bit of cover-based shooting against enemy soldiers. Needless to say, this opening section didn't instil much confidence for theThe third entry in the Dead Space series is more of a mixed bag than its predecessors. Right as the game begins, it's made pretty clear that Dead Space 3 is no longer even attempting to be a horror game as you're thrown into the action and start off by doing a bit of cover-based shooting against enemy soldiers. Needless to say, this opening section didn't instil much confidence for the rest of the game. After this thankfully brief shooting gallery, DS3 remembers it's roots and soon enough you're blowing limbs off necromorphs left and right.

The story isn't much to write home about: after a run-in with the fanatical Unitology cult, Isaac must travel with a small group of cardboard-cut-out stereotypes to the planet of Tau Volantis and stop the necromorph infestation one and for all. The plot unfolds in a fairly predicable manner, with several plot twists that range from cliché to nonsensical. Some effort is made to introduce character conflict between Isaac and some of his fellow crew members, but there's very little reason given for us to actually care about the characters aside from some generic dialogue. As in previous games, DS3 lacks a convincing antagonist; opting instead to just make the usual psychopath/religious fanatic who's evil for no better reason than “the plot demands it”. The voice acting is above-average for a video game, but is nothing special.

The overall gameplay is fairly similar to previous Dead Space games: mainly involving over-the-shoulder shooting as well as some light RPG progression. The RPG elements take the form of various upgrades you can give your suit although they're all bog-standard: better armour, better health, more air etc. The one major new addition to the combat is weapon crafting, which allows the player to scavenge various parts from the levels and use then to create and buy weaponry, rather than the credits system from previous games. The system works well and allows plenty room for experimentation, although some combinations can totally break the game: I found using a hovering saw with an under-slung explosive charge launcher could pulverise just about anything the game could throw at me. Overall though, the crafting has an appropriate survival feel to it and is much more involving than DS1 and 2's standard shop system. However, all this is negated by a universal-ammo system: previous games would often force you to adapt to weapons you weren't necessarily comfortable with by limiting ammo for your other weapons, making for a more intense experience. Dead Space 3 on the other hand uses generic "ammo clips" that were so ubiquitous that I never even came close to running out of ammo, ultimately de-fanging what little tension the game initially has. From a technical perspective, Dead Space 3 is absolutely top-notch. The sounds design remains some of the finest in modern triple-A gaming and the grimy visuals effectively paint a bleak, almost post-apocalyptic dystopian future, low texture quality notwithstanding.

Ultimately, as a third-person shooter, Dead Space 3 succeeds admirably but as a horror game it barely conjures up even a few tense moments. As a thought-provoking story, it's down there with a generic cinema blockbuster.
  27. Sep 13, 2013
    I kinda figured EA would mess the franchise up with this one, but I was only half right. My main problem with this game is that for the first 8 hours or so it's pretty boring. It takes a long time for the storyline to pickup, but once it does it's not that bad. The optional missions are hit and miss as far as the amount of depth they add to the experience. The voice-acting was prettyI kinda figured EA would mess the franchise up with this one, but I was only half right. My main problem with this game is that for the first 8 hours or so it's pretty boring. It takes a long time for the storyline to pickup, but once it does it's not that bad. The optional missions are hit and miss as far as the amount of depth they add to the experience. The voice-acting was pretty good for the most part, and the script seemed to be on-par with previous games. As far as the weapon system goes, I liked the system in dead space 1 and 2 better. Back when you had multiple ammo types you had to be more tactical with what type of gun you wanted to use and when. Now everything has the same ammo and you can beat the whole game with the same gun. It also breaks immersion to have all guns utilize the same ammo. The music in this game is pretty good overall, although for some reason you only get to hear the best songs on the soundtrack on the end credits. Something that I had a problem with was the volume control. You can turn down specific types of volume in the options menu (i.e. voice, effects, music, etc). This works fine for the large stretches of regular gameplay. But the game turns everything back to full whenever there is a cutscene and the sound effects are too loud. The battles are predictable and more of an annoyance than something to scare or challenge you. Really? Another battle where you're going to send 20 different guys at me as soon as I pick up the key item? That definitely made the game drag at times. On the whole the game was enjoyable at times, but seemed to have a whole lot of filler, especially in the first few hours. If this was a smaller game studio I would rate the game higher, but EA has enough people working on these projects that someone should have said something about how repetitive the battles were. I give this one a 6, worth playing if you can get it cheap. Definitely don't spend more than $10 on it though. Expand
  28. Apr 8, 2014
    Dead Space 3... should have been called "Catching up to your friends simulator" or maybe "elevator rider extreme." Anyway, it's definitely the worst of the franchise but also a decent port. There are no horror elements in this, it's basically a straight up action game. There is constant combat and action sequences happening and you'll never feel like you're trying to survive like you didDead Space 3... should have been called "Catching up to your friends simulator" or maybe "elevator rider extreme." Anyway, it's definitely the worst of the franchise but also a decent port. There are no horror elements in this, it's basically a straight up action game. There is constant combat and action sequences happening and you'll never feel like you're trying to survive like you did in the first game. Remember in the original how you'd always be presented with fair fights where you could not take damage, and if you did take damage it felt like it was a real blow and you made a mistake? That doesn't happen in Dead Space 3. Enemies will often spawn behind you, right next to you, or both at the same time which forces you to take damage. But don't worry, there are health packs everywhere. The only times i died were because i refused to use a health pack or during one of the plentiful quick time events. Yep, there are now quick time events in every mission! So awesome! Kidding, QTEs are one of the worst things you can put in a game. The story sucks in comparison to previous games. Not only does it make no sense for the majority of the time, but there is a girl in it who you are clearly supposed to care about. The problem is that she is so downright unlikable that you won't care at all about what happens to her. Dead Space 3 is just utter failure in almost all aspects, but what else can we expect from a game published by EA? This trend has continued for too long and it's a shame. Expand
  29. Mar 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a pretty good shooter, not worth 60 bucks. One and two are better. A real drag is the damned electrical engineering interface. That's a frustrating waste of time and a game killer if there weren't trainers out there to bypass this crap. Expand
  30. Mar 5, 2013
    Score starts at 10.
    Score starts at 10.
    -1 for doing absolutely no justice to the previous installments. The psychological fear factor is removed, and all you're left with is a bunch of "cat-jumping-onto-your-crotch" startle effect. Monsters have become more alien/mutant in nature, and thus lose the human aspect that made them so terrifying to begin with. The genre has essentially changed from survival/horror to action/third person shooter. To say that the game was not scary is a serious overstatement. It is NOT a horror game, but tries to sell as one. -1 for extremely terrible and unimaginative plot. The amount of brilliance and resources invested into the creation of this story is painfully mediocre, and makes me feel as if this game wasn't design to win "game of the year" but to rake in more money by flying on the tailwind of the series. Not only is the storytelling quality "just bad", the characters are extremely bland and generic. Absolutely nothing unique or interesting about any of them. Nothing memorable. -1 for AWFUL audio. In general. I should make a strong point here. The choice of sound for the monsters is not very... complementary. Something that's supposed to be scary, intimidating, or at least somewhat threatening should not be making gurgling fish noises. Also, many times monsters won't make any initial sounds upon spawning; they were designed to sneak up on you as silently as possible and then make their presence known when you turn around. The choice of music was also quite absurd, and would have been inappropriate for the game regardless of whether or not it was an action or a horror genre.
    -1 for repetitive, unoriginal, and at times, boring environment. There's a lot of blood to go around, that was present in both DS1 and DS2. But DS3 presents it in a way that isn't scary AT ALL. It's as if the exact same blood splatter trail was used every time a body was supposedly dragged across the room.

IN CONCLUSION: As an action game, it isn't the worst I've ever seen. It tries really hard to mimic Mass Effect and Halo. The weapons customization feature was somewhat enjoyable. Overall, this was a very unimpressive experience.
  31. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having just completed this game in one weekend with a friend, I thought I ought to do a review while it was still fresh in the mind. This review was conducted by someone who has very little knowledge of and never played much DS1 or 2. Good quality voice actors.

The Good:
    As far as technical details are concerned, it is a good console port. No crashes, game slowdowns or bugs were encountered during the entire campaign, except for a minor issue where Isaacs character model would sometimes freeze in place for 10 seconds while dropping a drone. A good array of graphics options are included, as well as complete control remapping. The other nice thing about the game is its rudimentary weapon crafting. The game paces well with upgrades and component parts, so you will have well paced access to new weapon types & upgrades until the last hour or two of the campaign (this includes all side missions). The graphics themselves are not too bad, but not that great in terms of fidelity. The overall palette is as you would expect, metallic, snowy and brown. Guns for the most sound great and feel great to use. Character movement doesn't feel 100% solid but you learn to adapt to it. Number of enemy types are decent. Blowing apart enemy limbs is fun, and decapitated aliens still coming at you is fun, although I'm aware this was even in DS1 so it by no means is a new addition to gaming.

The Bad:
    Gameplay-wise, it's as repetitive as you can get. Walk through dark corridor, open door, walk into room, blast aliens. Having played the first hour or two of Deadspace 1, I was disappointed in 3 about how the enemies attack you. In 1, I remember some creative waves the enemies would jump out to scare you, like unpredictably popping out of some glass or place you thought was safe. In DS3, the enemies literally come from 2 areas: A vent, or the (in the outside areas) the ground. This fact and many others make DS3 a sci-fi arena shooter, and in no way survival horror. As the game progresses, so too does the shape or texture of the vents. Near the end of the game while exploring alien ruins, vents are simply larger triangle shaped openings that are black to give the appearance of a tunnel. Quite literally you walk into an area, trigger a script and varying numbers of aliens pop out of said vents.

The Ugly:
    My god... The story. The characters. The dialogue. I'll give a few examples of what this "story" reminds me of:

Highschool Drama
    Soap Opera
    Low quality Hollywood B Movie

One of the more peculiar trends in modern gaming seems to be the countless examples of insert ed love & romance into the story. I don't claim to be an expert on writing romance, but I do know however there are very few romantic stories from hollywood that seem believable to me or are written well. Hollywood is presumed to be the best of the best writing and movie making. It is why with an unclouded mind I can say that the romance in DS3 is simply terrible. The romance seemed tacked on for no good reason. Both myself & my co-op partner are mature adults but we couldn't help by laughing and mocking some scenes because they were cliched beyond all reason. In an effort to keep this short i'll sum up the story:

Beginning:
    The major villain Danick is the ultimate cliched villain. In the beginning its simply "Humanity must evolve" "I will lead a new revolution" "Humanity is evil I will correct it" garbage we've seen in countless games & movies for the past 30 years. He has an army of generic soldiers at his disposable (what a shock). Part of the plan is to kill Isaac just because he killed a few aliens in the previous games.

The Middle:
    You're in a space graveyard with the ex-girlfriend your obsessed with and her team. She also has a new boyfriend. The boyfriend acts like he is in the 10th grade. He puffs up his chest and regularly fights with Isaac and gets jealous (I wish I was making this stuff up). If Ellie talks to Isaac for even 5 seconds, he radios in to check up on her. Isaac responds just the same. It leads to some great dialogue such as "Just let us fight it out ellie, one of us will win". Theres some convenient techno-babble about building some device (really just simple fetch quest in arena-shoot rooms), driving all over the graveyard to get the parts. In one scene Ellies boyfriend leaves u locked in an elevator to die.

The End:
    Old guy dies. Black girl predictably dies. Ellies boyfriend betrays the group to evil Danik. Gets shot. Ellie is fine 2 minutes later. You goto the alien base carrying the device. Danik shows up mad. Your partner carver wants to die because his life has to mean something". You put the device no one really understands into the flashy thingy. Twist it and it magically saves the world. Ellie manages to escape alien infested base by herself with no weapon, gets into shuttle. Isaac, the heroic sacrifice to save humanity. But in the end u hear him calling ellie. ellie.

This game is the biggest cliche fest you could possibly imagine.
  32. Mar 25, 2013
    Is it only me who see that this game is so secondary in every aspect, that even its plot is the copy of the Mass Effect franchise idea? Enormous creatures, that are made of body parts to wipe out every been in the galaxy, ancient aliens, that made a machine to stop it, but failed... and only one hero, that would succeed by making a sacrifice? C'mon!
    One more thing. With this snowy
    One more thing. With this snowy landscapes, assault troops running around and big monsters with orange spots to shoot it made me recall Lost Planet (first part). Glad there are no robots to ride yet to complete the sameness.
    It feels that Dead Space franchise has lost its originality in the 3rd part, cause now it is played as every other multi-platform action game with covers and roll-overs, while keeping all of the own series issues: narrow corridors, lots of identical small rooms where nothing happens, millions of doors that lock down right after your back and lame camerawork with Isaak's back covering half of the screen most of the time PS. Oh, and we were fooled when told that we may get the same experience in single player as with partner there are some areas for co-op missions that are forbidden in singleplayer mode same way as unique items stashed there.
  33. Mar 8, 2013
    Well done game but it lost it's magic in DS and DS2 i was scared so much times here i was scared two or three times and that is not enough for Dead Space game also fights became more boring i remember there was one regenerating guys in DS2 and he scare out of me i was panickig so much and now when i play no impossible difuculitty there is four of them and they kill on one or two hits.Well done game but it lost it's magic in DS and DS2 i was scared so much times here i was scared two or three times and that is not enough for Dead Space game also fights became more boring i remember there was one regenerating guys in DS2 and he scare out of me i was panickig so much and now when i play no impossible difuculitty there is four of them and they kill on one or two hits. Thoug the grafic on PC is very nice and sound is masterpiece i liked this game but EA wanna make it more casual player friendly and that is bad Expand
  34. Mar 12, 2013
    Perfectly decent and enjoyable enough, but the lack of scares hurts it more than you might think.

is disappointing, stick to 2 and 1
  35. Mar 16, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is a bit of a mixed bag. The ultraviolent action is lots of fun like in the previous 2 games in the series and tried and true game mechanics work as to be expected. However, the addition of co-op, universal ammunition and basically almost all new additions to the game take it away from the survival horror roots of the series. This is not a good thing in my opinion. There willDead Space 3 is a bit of a mixed bag. The ultraviolent action is lots of fun like in the previous 2 games in the series and tried and true game mechanics work as to be expected. However, the addition of co-op, universal ammunition and basically almost all new additions to the game take it away from the survival horror roots of the series. This is not a good thing in my opinion. There will propably be a Dead Space 4,but I can't help to feel that the franchise is stagnating and going in the wrong direction in a big way. Expand
  36. Mar 20, 2013
    A great attempt made by EA games. By mixing an original horror survival game into an action pack Mass Effect 3/Gears of war. EA GAMES PRESENTS: DEAD SPACE 3. Instead of store and nodes that annoy the hell out of players in dead space 2. They decided to copy their own game by having UNIVERSAL AMMO! This game is entirely built from money. "From 11 DLCs at day 1 launch, and an upcomingA great attempt made by EA games. By mixing an original horror survival game into an action pack Mass Effect 3/Gears of war. EA GAMES PRESENTS: DEAD SPACE 3. Instead of store and nodes that annoy the hell out of players in dead space 2. They decided to copy their own game by having UNIVERSAL AMMO! This game is entirely built from money. "From 11 DLCs at day 1 launch, and an upcoming awakened DLC, EA is sure to make a LOT OF MONEEEYYY." Dead Space 3 with high hopes that it will still be scary, failed terribly due to EA's direction of course wanted Viscral to be more "action oriented." that "action" soon brought the franchises down to the bottom of the wishing well. The game brings players to engage with Issac Newton's love life, a co-op campaign that introduces Carver that seems out of the place sometimes. In cutscenes, players will ask WHERE DID CARVER GO? WHERE DID HE COME OUT FROM? WHY THE ENEMY DIDN'T SEE HIM?" The most important and the main thing that brings this game into badass mode, was the all new bench system. Where Issac and Carver have to find scraps of miners and gather they're lego toys to build the ultimate weapon. (Honestly this was the only good part of the game) DEAD SPACE 3, where the game was ruined by EA's action oriented demands. Necromorphs, Issac's love life, and the ultimate lego building weapon system. Expand
  37. Mar 22, 2013
    by no means is it a terrible game some intresting ideas but does not live up to its older games. It seems to have lost its suvival horror roots the story is terribley weak and repetitive activites make you annoyed pick it up when its £10 not bad but not worth paying full price
  38. Mar 23, 2013
    Clearly a case of consoleitus, and feels unfinished. Levels are repetitive, and it is clear all creativity has been extinguished in favor of fitting the mold. I once loved this franchise... Unfortunately "appealing to all markets" has made it bland.
  39. Apr 6, 2013
    Dead Space 3 was not entirely what I expected. The first two games were certainly better, more horrifying and the stories in my opinion were just altogether better. Dead Space 3 didn't really get my locked in the story that much, but it was alright. The gameplay was fun to me, it seemed just like the first two games, but, again, not as scary, and that is something that I believe reallyDead Space 3 was not entirely what I expected. The first two games were certainly better, more horrifying and the stories in my opinion were just altogether better. Dead Space 3 didn't really get my locked in the story that much, but it was alright. The gameplay was fun to me, it seemed just like the first two games, but, again, not as scary, and that is something that I believe really needs to be in Dead Space games; fear! The first two games were so great, but this one seemed like such a great disappointment to me. Expand
  40. Sep 6, 2013
    I was torn for a while on what to rate this because, while I thought it was fairly enjoyable, I didn't think it was really a great game overall.

For one, it feels like every other action game you've ever played before. Admittedly, I played on the easiest setting because I'm too old to feel frustrated (and don't really need a "challenge" to enjoy a game), but even on the easiest settings there were some pretty annoying baddies. It sorta felt like I was in Dawn of the Dead, haha. On that note, I wasn't a fan of how the enemies were placed or were popped out. I can't think of any moment that made me jump, and being attacked by an enemy that spawned a mile back is somewhat obnoxious.

In any case, I really, really enjoyed the crafting portion. They definitely should have fleshed it out a bit more and given the player a little bit more information (for example, having actual numbers for each stat rather than just a meter), but otherwise, I had a lot of fun mixing and matching and crafting weapons that I liked. (I was a little sad, though, that the regular cutter wasn't as awesome as it was in the first DS.) And, the crafting system felt intuitive, for the most part, and seemed very much to fall in line with Isaac's character.

Along those lines, I felt the story was a bit... meh. It started strong, but quickly fell into generic dialogue and plot lines. The ending was a small surprise, but only in what the end boss actually is. (I won't actually spoil it for you if you haven't played it.) The voice acting was good, though, I just felt their lines were a bit weak, which then translated into somewhat weak characters, almost like it was written with the idea of over-acting in mind.

I also enjoyed the various locales. I'm a huge fan of areas that make you feel the vastness of the scenery, in this case outer space and the ice planet. To be sure, the graphics and detail were really enjoyable. I would have liked to have spent more time on the planet since the other two were primarily in space (you're in space for at least 30-40% of the start of the game), but that's more of a personal preference and really didn't affect how much I enjoyed the game.

In any case, all that being said, I am a fan of running around and shooting space zombies. That never really gets old. And, to loop it back in with my initial statement, I am far more an action-horror guy than a survival-horror guy, so although I enjoyed DS3 more than DS1, DS1 was an overall better game in its category.
  41. Nov 7, 2013
    My first dead space game. Played it with a friend. Was actually pretty cool story and gameplay is good.

Giving it an 6 Pros: Fun coop game. Characters is worthy to mention nice actors Graphis is okay. Can make your own weapons throughout the story Cons: Not something I would replay. I know you unlock more modes. But it's not anything worth mentioning Game only got 1

Giving it an 6

Pros:
    Fun coop game.
    Characters is worthy to mention nice actors
    Graphis is okay.
    Can make your own weapons throughout the story

Cons:
    Game only got 1 storyline.
    Not really anything to scare you. More of an action game tbh (Which is sad)
    NO MULTIPLAYER EXCEPT COOP!!!!!!
  42. Feb 6, 2014
    It's taken me two attempts but having finally seen the game through to completion, I have to say that it wasn't the destination but the journey that mattered.

Dead Space 3 definitely takes a more action oriented beginning before slipping back into it's familiar horror setting before melding back into action as you race the unitologists to the final standoff. The storyline was fine,

The storyline was fine, but certainly became a little weaker towards the ending.The game also offers optional side objectives and co-op objectives which can offer more insight into the back story and some extra supplies and upgrades. The crafting menu to me made the game a little easier since you could just make ammo and med packs opposed to frightfully walking to corridors wondering when you will come across another.

Overall despite losing my progress and kicking me back a few chapters at one point, I really enjoyed my experience with Dead Space 3 and look forward to seeing where the universe is heading next.
  43. Jul 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dead Space 3, well, is a good enough game, although not as good as Dead Space 1&2. Due to the greedy EA's policy, the game has been split up on several DLCs. While many of those DLCs have just minor effect on the game play, the biggest one, the "Awakening", is a *direct sequel* to the main plot of the game. Got it? EA is trying to sell the part of the game that should have been included in the minimum package! Disgusting!
    Also, so named additional missions are almost identical from geometrical point of view. I mean, they are very, very similar to each one; the only difference is just enemies and loot. Meh.
    The giant spider boss is too enduring, and he is almost the only one boss in the game! Meh, once again.
    Bottom line: buy the game at your own risk. I'd recommend to buy a GOTY/DC/Gold/Platinum version (if they will ever appear) of the game, including at least the "Awakening" DLC. Otherwise, you'll just miss the final part of the game.
  44. Feb 22, 2014
    After delaying playing this game for ages, I finally played it through with a friend, and can safely say that Visceral have taken what made Dead Space and its sequel enjoyable and tossed them out the airlock. By far the worst in the trilogy, DS3 doesn't quite match in terms of horror content, but its awkward and frustrating controls don't help it much as an action shooter either.After delaying playing this game for ages, I finally played it through with a friend, and can safely say that Visceral have taken what made Dead Space and its sequel enjoyable and tossed them out the airlock. By far the worst in the trilogy, DS3 doesn't quite match in terms of horror content, but its awkward and frustrating controls don't help it much as an action shooter either.

Mission variety also remained largely the same, with content such as "Fix A, Move B, go to C and repeat" dominating the majority of the campaign. With a relatively long runtime (19 chapters), this gets old really, REALLY fast. Especially now that the horror and suspense of venturing out alone is largely gone, as enemy spawns are plentiful but predictable. Playing the co-op mode didn't make it any better but worse, taking what was left of any suspense and disposing of it entirely. On that note, playing with a friend may often seem more trouble than its worth. Unit collision is terrible, especially during sequences such as the cliff climbing areas on Tau Volantis. Side missions are also just more of the same variety, and often I just couldn't be bothered making a detour to "explore area A" as the reward could be as meagre as some Consumables and a weapon part. Level design also took several steps back. Backtracking is the name of the game here, and the environments; while interesting the first time, quickly lose their lustre after repeated visits, and extended waiting just to get through a damned rotating door.

The small "minigames" just add to the tedium, made worse by the addition of another player. Suits in DS3 are also completely cosmetic, and this takes away much of the RPG elements of the previous titles, as well as any point in changing a suit to begin with. The Weapon crafting system is admittedly a nice addition, and I had some fun fiddling around with various combinations early in the game. However once I accumulated some resources, it was all too easy to create an overpowered all purpose weapon that never needed any further modification to last me the rest of the game. Lets not even mention the universal ammo clip.

The story also left much to be desired, filled with characters that I could honestly care less about, some of which I couldn't wait to be killed off in some fashion. Isaac wasn't cool anymore, and didn't care about anyone or anything except himself, Ellie and later on; Carver. Ellie also changed into a whiny, boring ex-girlfriend type.

Something to mention is that the game is a truly horrible PC port. The inability to do even simple things such as mute your fellow player whilst ingame or navigate the UI effectively with a mouse just shows the lazy effort that was put into moving the game onto PC. Graphics, while good are also nothing to write home about.

Dead Space 3 is simply a substandard horror game, and an even worse action one. Tedious gameplay and progression to match. Coupled with the frustrations to dealing with the game interface itself, its hard to recommend DS3 to any fan of the original Dead Space. As a part of the franchise, its simply terrible. As a standalone title, merely mediocre.
  45. Oct 22, 2015
    This game is an insult to Dead Space and horror fans in general. In EA's attempt to appeal to a broader audience, they might have as well handed Visceral games a shovel and and told them at gun point to start digging their own grave next to the other corpse's (i;e, west wood studios).

The game has the worst start to a game that I've played. it goes against everything that dead space stands for. You fight zombies. Not the necromorphs from the first and second games. Plain zombies. second is you are given an abundance of supplies. no need to worry about health and ammo until later. They remove the disturbing and unsettling soundtracks and add them in later. Anndddd they have you fight humans and add a crouch system.

Another thing is that they add nothing to the combat. Apart from the secondary weapon modes they add nothing. The only new and significant thing they add is the Crafting which was done well. A single weapon can be changed into something completely different. I started with an smg and now have a revolver that shoots electricity and has a second barrel that has rapid fire. The store and old BENCH system is gone. No more power nodes. Instead you collect materials around the world to upgrade weapons or build new ones. You also use crafting to upgrade your RIG for more HP and armor. You can Also craft ammo and health kits along with other supplies.

Gameplay is exactly the same as Dead space 2 . All too familiar enemy types make a comeback, with the only difference being a texture change. Apart from the axe wielding zombies and replacing the necro-babies with dogs, everything is the same in the combat Hell, they even use the same model for the Hunter/Regenerater from the first game .

Side missions are a new addition to the game that promise an expanded story and a chance at more supplies and loot. But too many of them are needlessly drawn out and only make more questions than answers. And the Save system in horrible. There are two different saves in this game. They replace the manual save systems with Checkpoints and auto saves. But the two are completely different . Check points are places you will respawn if you die. But they do not save you progress if you quit. Thats what Auto saves are for. And they are so few and spread out. I kept dying the the start of the game and getting thrown back to a save that was made 15 minutes ago.

horror is toned down significantly in exchange for in your face combat. The story is uninspiring. Overall not the worst game, Only redeemed by the awesome visuals and crafting system, Just an unworthy successor to the franchise.
  46. Mar 5, 2013
    Survival horror is gone.
    Only thing left is another basic shooting game.
    Boring.
    I miss Dead Space 1
    How is it possible to screw up everything THAT much
  47. Mar 10, 2013
    Another promising franchise rapidly deteriorating. I loved the original Dead Space, I liked the sequel, but I loathe this latest instalment. Similar to Mass Effect 3 (another franchise turned sour by EA Games), this game feels like a slightly more gory Gears of War clone, more than a horror-shooter. Whatever atmosphere might have existed in previous titles has been eradicated in favour ofAnother promising franchise rapidly deteriorating. I loved the original Dead Space, I liked the sequel, but I loathe this latest instalment. Similar to Mass Effect 3 (another franchise turned sour by EA Games), this game feels like a slightly more gory Gears of War clone, more than a horror-shooter. Whatever atmosphere might have existed in previous titles has been eradicated in favour of a forgettable plot with an abundance of one-dimensional characters who motivations and goals you couldn't possibly care for, even if you tried. The gameplay hasn't changed much, you're still dismembering space-zombies, with the occasional religious zealot and foul-mouthed mercenary thrown in to remind you of just how original Visceral Games are and simultaneously blur the lines between this game and every other shooter in existence. As strong as the gameplay mechanics were in the previous games, they, along with futile monster closets and a convoluted plot, have become monotonous and lost their charm. I cannot recommend this game, save for the most passionate of Dead Space fans who don't mind spending sixty bucks and ten hours playing the most uninspired shooter in their life. Expand
  48. Mar 12, 2013
    More microtransaction bs from EA and no support to fix bugs and glitches. They ruined what was a great horror franchise that started with Dead Space 1.
  49. Feb 28, 2013
    The only positive thing I can say about this game is the graphic. Everything else is complete with horrible design decision. The story is absolutely crap. None of the characters are interesting, including Issac himself. The level design rely heavily on back tracking to prolong the game's play time. All puzzle elements are complete crap that just force to waste time and make each chapterThe only positive thing I can say about this game is the graphic. Everything else is complete with horrible design decision. The story is absolutely crap. None of the characters are interesting, including Issac himself. The level design rely heavily on back tracking to prolong the game's play time. All puzzle elements are complete crap that just force to waste time and make each chapter seen longer. The whole weapon crafting thing is just a way for EA to suck your money using micro-transaction. The games pacing is crap, just go here, fix this, solve this puzzle and enemies will come at you at all direction, at all location in every single chapter! This once again proved that EA is a bunch of no talent developers taking orders from up high and just keep making ****ty games like this. All the high scores reviews are paid by EA. Please stop buying their game, this company never listen to it's customer and just keep coming up with new ways to suck your money. Expand
  50. Mar 17, 2013
    A Dead Space-themed Bioshock with 80 's-action-movies dialogue and a f|_|cked up (or bugged to death) save feature that makes the game just not worth buying, or renting for that matter. You see these games and wonder why on earth piracy was invented...
  51. Feb 7, 2013
    updated after 7:30 of playtime: shooter mechanics do not translate well to human enemies, the story doesn't make too much sense and characters are bland and annoying fetch quest givers. the story is not good so far. i've had 1 good jumpscare while opening up an elevator, but still no no grossout scares, the soundtrack is moody and rings of strange sci-fi once you get to the ice planet ofupdated after 7:30 of playtime: shooter mechanics do not translate well to human enemies, the story doesn't make too much sense and characters are bland and annoying fetch quest givers. the story is not good so far. i've had 1 good jumpscare while opening up an elevator, but still no no grossout scares, the soundtrack is moody and rings of strange sci-fi once you get to the ice planet of tau volantis, strings swell when enemies are near but that gets old and predictable very fast. the new crafting system is absurdly convoluted, especially at the beginning of the game. the framerate is locked at 30fps with vsync turned on and the screen tearing is noticeable and ugly. they let you tinker with many many graphical options in the settings menu, (the developers really sold themselves short saying that this was a straight port) ssao, antisotropic filtering, bloom, flares, and the like, nothing will make this game shine, but if you have an older computer they let you turn off a bunch of settings to get it to run. the microtransactions are in your face every time you are in the crafting menu and since you are crafting with these random different currencies, you may be able to fully upgrade your air capacity the first first time you stop at a rig suit upgrade station. the sense of accomplishment when upgrading your suit and weapons isn't as great anymore since it is bogged down with these random resource currencies, it feels like you are buying an upgrade, whereas in the first two games you were soldering a node onto metal. health and ammo drop rates need to be reduced drastically as well. almost 8 hours in and i have not run out of ammo or health once. and for those looking for an fov slider, you can change it by editing the ini config file in your appdata. once again, we have a consolized game with 11 different day1 dlcs, another story dlc coming in a month, microtransactions in a 60 dollar game and a port designed for pcs from 6 years ago. if i were you i would wait until you find this game for 40 dollars or less and that is being generous. all brought to you by your friendly neighborhood ea games. i hope your stockholders are happy. Expand
  52. Feb 23, 2013
    I'm a fan of Dead Space 1 and 2. This game in nothing like the first two games. That's saying something considering how much they changed the game from the original to the second. The story is interesting so far (I'm at about 60% at the present time). But, this game is nothing like the first two. As other people have pointed out over and over. It's not survival horror. It's more of a thirdI'm a fan of Dead Space 1 and 2. This game in nothing like the first two games. That's saying something considering how much they changed the game from the original to the second. The story is interesting so far (I'm at about 60% at the present time). But, this game is nothing like the first two. As other people have pointed out over and over. It's not survival horror. It's more of a third person shooter. The game itself is fun to play, assuming you like shoot'em up games. The reasons why I gave Dead Space 3 such a low is scores is as follows. The saving, it's is TERRIBLE! I can't say enough how bad it is. I have been getting random crashes in the game. Not sure why but everything is up to date and I only have this problem with this game. When I go back into the game even if it just saved, I'm forced to start way back in a mission. The last time I finished a entire optional mission and it's like it didn't save at all. Even though I saw it save and I started the next part of the story. The other reason I gave this game such a low score is the weapon balance. The weapons that are powerful are very slow to fire. The weapons that weak are very fast shooting but don't take down enemy's fast enough and you exhaust a magazine very quickly. It wouldn't be too much of a problem but they have the necromorphs jumping out practically on top of you. Some of the necromorphs require a few shots from even a maxed out weapon. But, because they shoot so damn slow or don't do any damage because they are so weak, if you have two or three necromorphs in your face your going to take a bunch of damage. Although in the end it doesn't matter since there is a ridiculous amount of health packs in the game. Another thing about the weapons that drives me crazy, if a necromorph jumps out on top of you, again which happens allot you can't hit them. It's like your weapon is sticking through the necromorph. I'm also not a fan of the new upgrading system. It's annoying that some weapons will only have so much of a magazine capacity or rate of fire even if you add a upgrade to it on the bar graph nothing changes. This game stinks of the greed of the parent company, EA. EA wants to pull in as much cash as possible buy trying to appeal to as many people as possible. I understand wanting to make as much as possible on their investment, but buy doing so they have completely changed the game from what it was. They made the game a bit unappealing to the people who made it so popular in the first place. If you don't already own this game but are a fan of Dead Space 1 and 2. Wait for it to hit the discount rack. Expand
  53. Feb 24, 2013
    I'm not impressed, but then again, I didn't expect to be. The first took you down dark corridors with creatures lurking in the darkness waiting to pounce that added a feeling of uneasiness to the player making them want to go slow. The second took us to a fast pace almost run and gun scenario with a stronger story. This one, well, it takes it to the end if you can call it that. You'll begI'm not impressed, but then again, I didn't expect to be. The first took you down dark corridors with creatures lurking in the darkness waiting to pounce that added a feeling of uneasiness to the player making them want to go slow. The second took us to a fast pace almost run and gun scenario with a stronger story. This one, well, it takes it to the end if you can call it that. You'll beg for something to happen for the first half of the game. It is terribly slow and borderline Call of Duty. The second half is where the action is along with the story, but sadly by the time you get to it (if you get to it) you're spent of all emotion just begging the game to hurry up and get to the point. This is a love it or hate it game. Expand
  54. Feb 10, 2013
    Campaign is longer, graphic is beautiful, game mechanic is same like in DS2. But, there's just too much action, hundreds of necromorphes swarming around... I love fps/tps games but action in DS3 didn't worked for me. Over time it's starting to be boring. Main focus is on upgrading guns and just shooting whatever you see. Story is ok, nothing revolutionary but it's ok for end of mainCampaign is longer, graphic is beautiful, game mechanic is same like in DS2. But, there's just too much action, hundreds of necromorphes swarming around... I love fps/tps games but action in DS3 didn't worked for me. Over time it's starting to be boring. Main focus is on upgrading guns and just shooting whatever you see. Story is ok, nothing revolutionary but it's ok for end of main trilogy. There are a lot of cheap moments during the game moments when Isaac is isolated from rest of the team, but overall, story can pass. I'm giving this game 6/10 but i still recommend you to try this one out if you like tps action games or if you want to finish the story. Expand
  55. Apr 17, 2013
    I finally got around to playing this installment, and I regret it. Another franchise-killer spearheaded by EA. This game feels so different from the original 2, which I absolutely loved. I'm not sure what the devs were going for with some of the changes made, but I was hard-pressed to avoid cringing during certain moments of the game (not in the "holy-s*** I'm scared" or "that'sI finally got around to playing this installment, and I regret it. Another franchise-killer spearheaded by EA. This game feels so different from the original 2, which I absolutely loved. I'm not sure what the devs were going for with some of the changes made, but I was hard-pressed to avoid cringing during certain moments of the game (not in the "holy-s*** I'm scared" or "that's disgusting!" style of the first two games, either). Unimpressive story, and the feel of the traditional Dead Space gameplay has been turned on it's head. If I didn't love the lore of the series so much (which is more a credit to the previous games than this one) this game would be getting a lower score. Dead Space 3 is a gutted version of the first two games with almost no improvements that core fans of the series can appreciate. It's the rainy-day movie of video games. Expand
  56. Feb 23, 2013
    Horrific excuse of a "game", as on per with the standards of EA. The controls feels like there's a tumble dryer on your head ingame as the character is seemingly incapable to look anything but left and right IN A GAME THAT FEATURES ENEMIES WHO SPENDS A MAJORITY OF THEIR TIME CRAWLING ON THE FLOOR. It was at an acceptable degree in DS2 but now they've gone with the "realistic" approach ofHorrific excuse of a "game", as on per with the standards of EA. The controls feels like there's a tumble dryer on your head ingame as the character is seemingly incapable to look anything but left and right IN A GAME THAT FEATURES ENEMIES WHO SPENDS A MAJORITY OF THEIR TIME CRAWLING ON THE FLOOR. It was at an acceptable degree in DS2 but now they've gone with the "realistic" approach of completely removing your ability to use A S or D effectively unless you're scoped in which creates laughable scenarios where you'll either repeatedly get stuck on invisible walls (with the courtesy of kindergarden level design because the game doesn't inhibit movement physics other than on certain areas which will be extremely confined) or be slapped around like a handpuppet, effectively stunlocking you by every single mutant enemy you'll come across, leaving the already weak melee attacks you inhibit to only be use able if pixel-accurate timing spam is achieved and to top all that off, DS3 has also managed to completely remove all sense of an atmosphere, replacing any inch of actual horror games like these would normally inhibit with jump-scares as (most of the time) your arsenal will consist of weaksauce weapons with small strings sticking out of them disguised as "attachments" which has the feel of trying to clean a toilet with a toothbrush when used against actual enemies, even the most casual ones unlike in DS2 where there was often the feeling of helplessness which is one of the many thing that creates the ATMOSPHERE for so-called HORROR GAMES in which EA has apparently forgotten completely by this point. As far as the story is concerned, watch it on a walkthrough instead of putting yourself through hell trying to play this turd game. Expand
  57. Mar 22, 2013
    The game is designed for a co-op experience, with an intention to grind money from players via multiplayer interaction and mirco-transactions. There are stupid puzzles which are more difficult to solve in single player mode. Also, when played in single player, some weapon parts (e.g. explosion module) can't be obtained in the first run, and the plot also appears to be odd in later stage ofThe game is designed for a co-op experience, with an intention to grind money from players via multiplayer interaction and mirco-transactions. There are stupid puzzles which are more difficult to solve in single player mode. Also, when played in single player, some weapon parts (e.g. explosion module) can't be obtained in the first run, and the plot also appears to be odd in later stage of game, since no interaction with Carver had seen by player before. Further, the game was made to appeal generic casual players, the enemies mostly now have clothes covering their body, and look less nasty as in DS1 and 2, elements like horror, darkness, helpless, creepy environment were all taken out as well, replaced by a larger and bright open area, and have human enemies for co-op gun firing purpose. To further force the players to have co-op partner, the enemy behavior has changed as well, monsters will no longer be stopped by gun fire easily, they move very fast, and is able to sneak behind players, there are also more random spawn points, causing swarm to player in multi-direction, the frequent swarm make Issac looks like a super-hero fighting hordes of monster, rather than an engineer trying hard to survive, completely ruining the feeling of survival horror. Due to such setting of enemy behavior, many players simply choose weapons of high rate of fire, reducing the potential choice of weapons, wasting the idea of weapon crafting for creative weapons. This just look like an attempt to grind some money from some players if they want some powerful weapons right in the beginning of game. Overall, the change in atmosphere and enemy behavior just make the game deviate from the original feeling of DS1 and DS2. Expand
  58. Feb 5, 2013
    The biggest problem in my opinion is the fact that you can simply 'feel' that it is made for dlc. The whole weapon crafting and armor switching doesnt seem to build-in well. It's somewhat modular and replacable. The actual gameplay is fun. Far too much nekromorphs, not much horror. Still a nice play. I would give a eight if it werent for the terrible, terrible dlc policy which makes meThe biggest problem in my opinion is the fact that you can simply 'feel' that it is made for dlc. The whole weapon crafting and armor switching doesnt seem to build-in well. It's somewhat modular and replacable. The actual gameplay is fun. Far too much nekromorphs, not much horror. Still a nice play. I would give a eight if it werent for the terrible, terrible dlc policy which makes me feel like i have just half a game for a full price. Expand
  59. Feb 6, 2013
    "In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise, because ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space. -Frank Gibeau EA. Atmosphere?Survival?Danger?Where?
    Oh, the cosmetic, predictable chest high obstacles whose purpose was to apparently expand on the shooter elements, in it's simplicity, brokenness and shift the shift was there from 1 to 2 also, but not that glaring, the game is something like ME3, including the character weirdness, and ending.
    MOH was taken out of rotation, the successful marketing will probably spare this game the same fate, which is good for the studio and bad for the game.

Basically without spoiling anything, the speed, pacing of the game makes the survival horror elements pretty much non existent, Crafting, personally I liked it, it's implementation however creates alot of grinding need, and feels like it's built to provoke the less patient gamers to give in to microtransactions.
    Basicaly the tedium will make the player buy instead of collecting.
    Human enemy AI is mindbogglingly stupid, I will never deduce what the purpose of them was anyway, yes well more cannon fodder.
    The sound is completely out of place, it just adds to the general feel of pew-pew-puzzle-craft-pew-pew, it's simply ruining every potential horror element.
    Co-op is well "better," not good but better, it's the fun aspect if there is one.
    If not reflecting on the previous games, and as a completely disconnected shooter with horor elements, or being new to the game, the player may enjoy the setting, not being new however, in my specific case is what leads to the score
  60. Feb 17, 2013
    Absolutely terrible, i hope you enjoy replaying pointless missions more than once, because thanks to the autosave feature that they incorporated for some bs reason, you can only start from certain checkpoints... and for some reason, the game forgets that you've played 4 hours past where it resumes you from!

Not to mention this isn't even deadspace anymore, its got infinite supplies

Not to mention this isn't even deadspace anymore, its got infinite supplies everywhere, oh and if you somehow miss 95% of your shots, you can craft more supplies!!!!

Don't forget about Coop only content, oh and DLC galore... GG EA another perfect title down the drain in only 3 games
  61. Feb 26, 2013
    I played and loved Dead Space 1 and 2, and this game is awful. A bland, generic shooter that should not have any relation with the previous titles. If you enjoy shooters with unlimited supplies, there are better options that do not advertise themselves as a sequel to a survival horror franchise.
  62. Sep 29, 2013
    An absolute monstrosity this game is. I enjoyed DS 1 and 2, and thought this would be good. All it is is a bunch of boring levels with enemies thrown at you. That's all it is. Me and my friend tried Coop but it was so glitchy we could barely even play.
    A rubbish game. DS 1 and 2 were much better quality.
  63. Feb 16, 2013
    Isaac Clarke just cannot catch a break. Yet again, he is in the middle of an alien infestation and, for some reason, is still apparently the sole person who can stop it. Sadly, the game doesn't do much to make you care about pretty much anything that is going on. There is some kind of lover's spat or love triangle situation going on. There is some dude named Carver who jumps in and out ifIsaac Clarke just cannot catch a break. Yet again, he is in the middle of an alien infestation and, for some reason, is still apparently the sole person who can stop it. Sadly, the game doesn't do much to make you care about pretty much anything that is going on. There is some kind of lover's spat or love triangle situation going on. There is some dude named Carver who jumps in and out if you are playing single player, which just makes no sense. Why does he keep running off? Oh, because this isn't co-op. That makes complete sense in the story. "I'll meet you there", says Carver. "Why not go together if we are going to the same place anyway?", asks Isaac. "Cause you are lonely and have no friends!", exclaims Carver before he runs off, disappears, and does nothing useful. Speaking of not making sense, the story doesn't. At least not to me. It could also be that, like I said, the game just doesn't make you care enough to look into it too much. The crafting and scavenging mechanics were actually a pleasant surprise to me, although the former created the necessary evil of universal ammo eliminating those times where you are scrambling to switch weapons or swinging away in melee. The combat is still satisfying and very much visceral (haha get it? I suck) with a few more interesting enemies and some not-so-interesting enemies thrown into the mix. I never found myself using the cover system as it was complete garbage. They would have been better off leaving out the knee-high crates. The ending left me with a feeling of nothingness because, to be honest, I didn't really care about any of the characters or the plot by that point anymore. The lore of the game died to me but, hell, at least I have a ton of different weapons to shoot and plenty of cool aliens to kill. That's enough to get it a 6 in my book, but no more. Expand
  64. Jun 28, 2014
    Dead space 1 was fantastic, and dead space 2 was 2x as good, almost perfect, but dead space 3 is just terrible for 3 majors reasons. #1 - The weapons are ineffective. Remember that time when combat felt satisfying and your guns actually killed what you shot? You can forget that in 3. The game was clearly designed for co op so a single player experience is beyond terrible because enemiesDead space 1 was fantastic, and dead space 2 was 2x as good, almost perfect, but dead space 3 is just terrible for 3 majors reasons. #1 - The weapons are ineffective. Remember that time when combat felt satisfying and your guns actually killed what you shot? You can forget that in 3. The game was clearly designed for co op so a single player experience is beyond terrible because enemies move too fast, you can't kill them even with fully upgraded weapons, and you'll find yourself having to lower the difficult to casual just because you get attacked constantly. Combat never felt this unfair. # 2 - Ridiculously long and tedious scripted events... DS1 and DS2 knew how to use quick efficient scripted events to enhance the experience, but I've already beaten 3 once, and upon an attempt to try to play it a second time, on new game +, I found myself having to sigh for 30 minutes before I finally got to put on an EVA suit, all the while having to ignore an extremely douchey guy complaining over the radio. 3 - The story is epic fail. Frankly DS 1 and 2 were so cool the story came as a secondary feature, like icing on the cake, but since the combat sucks in 3, all you have is to try to hang onto an absurdly convoluted saga. I honestly don't even remember what I did all throughout 3 because it was so confusing and forgettable. 3 is rated F for fail. The producers clearly lost what made Dead Space so good from the beginning, like making Isaac feel weak, and the enemies frightening, but if you were smart and planned ahead, you could destroy waves of necromorphs with a real sense of accomplishment. 3 devolves into the same scenario over and over again. You see enemy. 3 more enemies spawn. Now the enemies are all around you, and they're hitting you, but your guns suck so badly that you have to devote 2 clips from your primary weapon to kill one single necromorph spastically trying to rip you to pieces. I hope they make a Dead Space 4 and return to the original formula. Oh, and the secondary character, the idiot in the red suit that screams angry 14 year old, we can do without him and characters like him entirely thank you very much. Expand
  65. Apr 20, 2013
    It's just... not good. The story has so many holes and logic is basically nonexistent in the game. The mechanics (other than unified ammo, which was lazy IMO) were pretty good, but the game ran badly at certain points for unknown reasons.

If you don't mind the lack of logic and reason and just enjoy shooting things that go "splat", then this is the game for you. If you actually care why you're doing something or get annoyed when there's an obviously more sensible option that isn't available, then don't bother, it'll be facepalms all around.
  66. Jan 19, 2014
    Screw EA they are nothing but a money pit and haven't made a quality game in years. Everything EA touches turns to crap. Visceral went to EA for distribution not look at the games they are putting out, rushed for of bugs and lacking quality.
  67. Feb 9, 2013
    This game is a dissapointment. I'm fan of DS1 and DS2, but apart this and by judging this game as completely new one, it is just another stupid (this could be still OK), but very boring FPS build on successful franchise. Name stays the same, but the atmosphere is lost. I was not strained by playing this game. I was not having fun ...

Just one little thing why the hell is there so many

Just one little thing why the hell is there so many fire axes in space? Maybe NASA is equipping it too as a weapon against aliens?
  68. Feb 5, 2013
    This game is great as a third person action game, but kind of a let down as a dead space game. So many scenarios from the first two games that were scary then, like the stalker sequences in non-linear arenas, just feel so bland and repetitive and not scary any more. They've been milked of all their scare value already, same for the quicktime events. They've been milked to death. I was openThis game is great as a third person action game, but kind of a let down as a dead space game. So many scenarios from the first two games that were scary then, like the stalker sequences in non-linear arenas, just feel so bland and repetitive and not scary any more. They've been milked of all their scare value already, same for the quicktime events. They've been milked to death. I was open to human enemies being put in the game, but even on the harder difficulties they are such pushovers to kill and just feel like a joke. No tactics required just spam your fire button.

This also focuses a lot less on scavenging for ammo, many times during combat rather than conserving ammo I found myself trying to mash the fire button as quick as possible to dispose of all the enemies on screen. Don't worry, you get PLENTY of ammo and its all been homogenized into one type of ammo for all guns. I also got really sick of all the button mashing required in this game, as I stomp through a sea of dead enemies mashing the E key to pick up ammo, or the terrible new wheel-lock doors that you have to open by repetitively mashing your kenesis. All in all the game is a lot of fun, and has some AMAZING set peices, but its still a big let down all the same. I'll probably still play through it with my buddies a couple times on coop.

Anyway I still have faith in the developers and I am still a big fan of the dead space series, I just hope the devs can learn from this mistake. If you only like dead space only for the scares, and thought dead space 2 had too much action, you should probably pass on this one, or wait for a sale. Origin does sales too sometimes.
  69. Feb 13, 2013
    cons
    Am i the only one who finds the whole everytime im actually joined back with my team something explodes and i end up having to take the long route ,
    i mean its kool one time but its every single time, stood at the ladder in chapter 13 "climb this ladder" she says, i click to climb ladder snaps all of a sudden i gotta take the 2 hour journey....so annoying secondly equally as
    cons

secondly equally as annoying when a zombie alien thing does popout to try and kill you where is any space to shoot it ,seriously there so up in your face you cant even see and movement is clunky another annoyance is the resources ,to get any decent weapons that actually do some damage you need good guns
    and to get good guns you need resources
    but searching in the middle levels you get hardly anything
    and then in the later levels it just throws it at you lastly because of the controls sometimes you click to climb a ladder or open a door
    and it ignores you due to the clunky controls you have to reposition isaac several times just so e activates the ladder
    not all he time but its happened a fair few times
  70. Feb 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, let us establish that I, as a Dead Space fan, recognize and admire the past two games' atmosphere, level of polish, enemy design, shock value and, above all, sound direction as being the series true strength. That being said, I consider Dead Space 3 to be an abomination in every sense of the word, a thoughtless third person shooter with creepy crawlies thrown in for good measure.

As far as the Dead Space mythos goes, the first 20 minutes of the game could be accepted as a actual storyline fitting its universe, albeit hurried by screamy brutal manly men trying their best to make sure you, the player, feel the stakes are high, which they would be if you would give a crap! The cast is forgettable, a bunch of faceless survivors begging to be eaten as long as that nonexistent story moves on. "Oh no, not Old Man Guy! Whyyy?! OH, ICE PLANET!!" The environments are terrible, simply and utterly devoid of any kind of signature. When it's not about the universe's most unlit corridors, it's ice, and after that ice, it's all about that forced Lovecraftian Underground City. One can only yearn for the blood-covered Ishimura, or even the elegant backtracking one would have performed while inside that very ship. That's an other issue: pacing, as in there is barely any. Areas are padded with ennemy encounters like never before. Pretty much every door has to be opened with the kinesis module (Really?!), and when a game's pacing feels like it's crawling on only three of its legs (two of which might as well be stumps anyway), what else is needed but SIDEQUESTS!! Sidequests!! in a survival-horror game never work well, as they detract attention from those oh-so high stakes even more than that total lack of fluidity. Weapon crafting is also a waste of time; half the time, I couldn't for the life of me know if what I had made was going to be useful or not. The truly good weapons were designed before, in both previous games, so why did they give us the option to make weapons if the blueprints for the good old Line Gun is available anyway!

Ennemies? Yeah, it's all quite the familiar affair, as in: they are the same! New ones include a Necromorph wielding ice pickaxes (Found even in the city level at the beginning of the game...) and another Necromorph whose main purpose is to replace the Pack from DS2. Skins. New skins. That is all. The much anticipated Nexus proves itself to be an arguably predictable Hive Mind clone, and the Snowbeast is a waste of ammo and hope that the game might show variety. Even the final boss, albeit relatively exciting, is nary a bump in the road in terms of difficulty and overall impact on the story at hand (think Cronos from God of War 3).

So in short, the game is an overlong mess, offering only sparkles of brilliance behind an otherwise greasy curtain. Going from heat source to heat source so as not to freeze to death was nice. Those space walks are always fun. The setpieces can be sights to behold, when they feel like it. And giving the game any more praise would send me to Hell, for lying.

Steve Papoustis wanted to create the best Dead Space game evar for realz and ended up emulating Resident Evil 5 and 6, of all things to look up to! A limp, impotent 3 outta 10 for this dead, horse.

A.B.
  71. Feb 9, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is a fairly generic action-shooter hybrid, but even worse, as a Dead Space game, it utterly fails to bring any sort of horror or tension to the mix. Plainly put, it is not scary. It is also way too easy and predictable (I played on Hard) and I was almost never short on ammo or medpacks which drop frequently from the sea of corpses that you will mow down over the course of theDead Space 3 is a fairly generic action-shooter hybrid, but even worse, as a Dead Space game, it utterly fails to bring any sort of horror or tension to the mix. Plainly put, it is not scary. It is also way too easy and predictable (I played on Hard) and I was almost never short on ammo or medpacks which drop frequently from the sea of corpses that you will mow down over the course of the 20 hour long campaign (well I did it in 19 and a half hours which included all the side missions available for single player and scouting for all the logs and upgrade items). There’s no horror or even jump scares because it uses the same tricks we all know by now that the necro’s will come out of the vents or drop down behind us. The game focuses too much on action and QTE's. There are no longer any creepy, unsettling sequences, just a never-ending tide of necro’s to hose with bullets. They now move and attack much faster, large hordes get thrown at you in every third room which clearly shows that the game has been designed primarily for co-op, so the person playing on their own must instead just kite enemies around the room in circles until the horde has been mowed down. Rinse and repeat. Human enemies don’t appear a lot until the last couple chapters where they are more frequent, but their AI is dumb and they are super easy to kill and don’t deal much damage. Boss battles are awful and not terribly challenging, most just blur past in a blaze of QTE's and interactive cutscenes the final boss is the size of a moon (literally). You are restricted to carrying two guns at a time. The weapon crafting lets you make any gun you want provided you have the resources to make the parts needed, and you can combine two weapons in a single gun (ie assault rifle with underslung line gun, or a javelin with a rocket launcher). The ability to freely dismantle your weapons and retain all the parts/upgrades is convenient but comes at the cost of removing the old system which required you to be very selective and careful about which upgrades you chose to get, so this new system has removed another essential part of the Dead Space experience IMO. Graphics are quite pretty and my old Radeon 4870 handled it just fine with no problems bar a few seconds of frame-stuttering in the last chapter when there was a lot (and I mean a lot) happening onscreen. Military base locations (basically most of Tau Volantis section) are re-used extensively as filler between the important locations. It feels like a lot has been re-used from the previous games. I should say the opening level on the Earth Lunar Colony was incredibly detailed and life-like, but the other levels were lackluster. There are almost no video messages/logs now (I counted 3 video messages in the whole game and 1 was re-used from DS2), only audio and text logs. The story takes a long time to get anywhere, there’s obvious foreshadowing, shallow characters, an unbelievable love triangle, contrived situations, all the cliches are followed, the ending is ludicrous and basically tries way too hard to be EXTREME and MAJESTIC!!!11 Isaac is now saving all of humanity, whereas before he was just your regular guy trying to GTFO of necromorph infected places. Carver has very little to do with the single player campaign, so he doesn't detract from it (not that there's much to detract from anyway). The Unitologist villain is poorly characterized as well and looks like an 80's pop reject. Side missions don’t have anything to do with the story, and are just there so players can shoot more necros and get more crafting resources. Personal disappointments: aside from the ‘not scary at all’ part, there was no Engineering suit (wtf), Power Nodes are gone, Brutes didn’t make an appearance and the traditional Dead Space repurposed mining weapons are nowhere near as powerful as they once were a line gun with maxxed damage needs two shots just to cut the legs off the standard slasher necros. Also, I didn't like how Ellie suddenly has massive breasts and is wearing a suit that reveals a lot of cleavage. What, did she get enhanced between games? I love pretty women, but this is way too silly and over the top. She was fine like she was in DS2. Final words. If you like co-op action shooters, or you wanted Call of Duty: Dead Space, you’ll probably enjoy this a lot. If you are more like me, and just wanted a scary single-player horror game that was atmospheric and terrifying well this ain’t it, so don't buy it. 5/10. Thanks for reading if you made it this far Expand
  72. Feb 9, 2013
    A pleasant sequel to the series considering the move to a more action based shooter, it's downfall i found was the lack of mystery and suspense the previous titles offered. My impression of the story-line was typical cliche moments, easily predictable future events and a significantly short and disappointing ending. I feel the game lacks any replay-ability especially enough to warrantA pleasant sequel to the series considering the move to a more action based shooter, it's downfall i found was the lack of mystery and suspense the previous titles offered. My impression of the story-line was typical cliche moments, easily predictable future events and a significantly short and disappointing ending. I feel the game lacks any replay-ability especially enough to warrant purchasing DLC unless in the future expansion packs featuring new content are released rather than mediocre DLC such as suits, weapons and bot enhancements. Expand
  73. Feb 13, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is a must have for series fans as well as random FPS/TPS gamers, mixing the survival horror mechanic of DS1 plus the TPS action style from DS2, all packed with a great plot as well as an involving storytelling.
    On PC the 60 fps graphics and surround sound are excellent, and you'll enjoy once again the outstanding attention to detail of the environment.
    Gameplay is fluid and
    Gameplay is fluid and really enjoyable, with more emphasis on action (as the"dodge" feature) than the previous two games but without losing too much his survival horror component (you'll shout a little less than you've done in DS1 and 2).
    The soundtrack is epic and amazing but less "fear delivering" than the ones in Dead Space 1 and 2.
    I give it 9/10 because of the final, to much fictional and less scientific.
  74. Feb 11, 2013
    I have read many of the reviews and I dont think people got the memo that this was not gonna be a horror game like its predecessors. Its an Action/FPS/RPG now and I think some players got a bit hurt about that. I have found the storyline well written and the voice over work to be well done. The shooting works well and the game moves smoothly through a very well rendered world of spaceI have read many of the reviews and I dont think people got the memo that this was not gonna be a horror game like its predecessors. Its an Action/FPS/RPG now and I think some players got a bit hurt about that. I have found the storyline well written and the voice over work to be well done. The shooting works well and the game moves smoothly through a very well rendered world of space mutant necro-bugs. If you liked Mass Effect then you will like this game. Dead space 1 and 2 are totally different games and Im thankful they decided to go another route with this one. Expand
  75. Feb 12, 2013
    Love all the Idiots rating this Game a 10 cuz "they played it and it were gud" seriously that is on par with the stupidity of rating it a 1 because you are "pissed off that stuff has changed in it" had a whole list of "good and bad" on this but apparently metacritic likes to remove whatever little formatting you use in this little box when you type and turn everything into a large block ofLove all the Idiots rating this Game a 10 cuz "they played it and it were gud" seriously that is on par with the stupidity of rating it a 1 because you are "pissed off that stuff has changed in it" had a whole list of "good and bad" on this but apparently metacritic likes to remove whatever little formatting you use in this little box when you type and turn everything into a large block of txt. Basically this game is average... loses quite a bit from its predecessors and gains a new weapon system that is essentially "duct tape your two favorite weapons from previous games together to make one gun", an "optional" co-op mode (which basically breaks the single player story), and not even a shred of survival horror left to speak of. This game is not "more action than the previous games" it is just action... and a mediocre action FPS at that. Expand
  76. May 26, 2013
    Too long to be enjoyable, too dramatic to be credible. Dead Space 3 is a painful game to finish, and it lacks the connection that made its predecessor such a wonderful game.
  77. Apr 20, 2013
    Literally, just a few hours into the game, and i am done. This game literally is utter Between the retarded lack of options to even remotely carry out dialogue between co op partners, and the endless stupid mission, aka avoiding the flying derbies when it is impossible to talk to your partner at all, this game is not worth my time. Literally if i wanted to play a good horror game i wouldLiterally, just a few hours into the game, and i am done. This game literally is utter Between the retarded lack of options to even remotely carry out dialogue between co op partners, and the endless stupid mission, aka avoiding the flying derbies when it is impossible to talk to your partner at all, this game is not worth my time. Literally if i wanted to play a good horror game i would go play Metro, and with last light coming out soon, guess where I will be? Expand
  78. Edd
    May 3, 2013
    After playing the first dead space I was surprised after playing the second I was like :THIS IS AWESOME after playing the third i was like I mean the plot is kinda poor It will not compare like the other two dead space,the guns are awkward,When you need to upgrade your gun you don't use anymore power up to upgrade your guns,rig,etc you just simply collect scrap metal to upgrade themAfter playing the first dead space I was surprised after playing the second I was like :THIS IS AWESOME after playing the third i was like I mean the plot is kinda poor It will not compare like the other two dead space,the guns are awkward,When you need to upgrade your gun you don't use anymore power up to upgrade your guns,rig,etc you just simply collect scrap metal to upgrade them It was better off with the old upgrade what I liked in the game was the enemies you fought even humans in the game but also it was hard a little .
    So the reason why I gave it a 6 was it had well good graphics and the enemies this is the good part but the worst part is because of the storyline,the upgrade,the guns even Isaac's space suits
  79. Jul 10, 2014
    Dead Space 3 doesn't deserve the all of the derision it has gotten from gamers and critics even though it doesn't quite live up to its predecessors. Ditching some of the pure horror elements of the franchise was appropriate for the story and setting of the game and it actually outshines DS1&2 in some areas. Environments are detailed and beautifully realized. Level design is great andDead Space 3 doesn't deserve the all of the derision it has gotten from gamers and critics even though it doesn't quite live up to its predecessors. Ditching some of the pure horror elements of the franchise was appropriate for the story and setting of the game and it actually outshines DS1&2 in some areas. Environments are detailed and beautifully realized. Level design is great and offers some non-linear elements that reward you for exploration. There is also a very deep weapon and equipment customization system that allows you to gather a wide range of resources use them to create and upgrade. You are required to manage resources wisely to advance.

The problems with the DS3 lie along two lines. First, the developers seem to think you constantly need hordes of enemies to shoot at and this can lead to sections of the game were the action is Call of Duty style over the top. Over the course of an almost 20 hr campaign this can get exhausting and even dull. There should be some quieter moments to allow you to explore the large environments, provide exposition or allow for character interaction. Second, while the overall plot is pretty good, the story pacing can sometimes drag and instead of progressing it can belabor the same points. Also, The characters outside of Isaac and Ellie are poorly developed and their actions are sometimes hard to understand.

Overall the experience could best be described as "Bioschock 2 in space" and it should be enjoyed on those terms instead of being compared to its predecessors.
  80. Mar 24, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is thoroughly average. The monster encounters are extremely predictable, so much so that you know exactly what will happen the moment you look inside a room. The atmosphere is lacking, and once you hit Tau Volantis it plays more like Gears of War than Dead Space enter room, necromorphs burst from grates, shoot necromorphs, move to next room, repeat. I can't think of anyDead Space 3 is thoroughly average. The monster encounters are extremely predictable, so much so that you know exactly what will happen the moment you look inside a room. The atmosphere is lacking, and once you hit Tau Volantis it plays more like Gears of War than Dead Space enter room, necromorphs burst from grates, shoot necromorphs, move to next room, repeat. I can't think of any memorable moments from the campaign. Weapon modification is a nice touch, but past the first few levels you're able to craft near insta-kill weapons and as much ammo and health kits as you want. Expand
  81. Dec 6, 2013
    actually this dead space is ok......the graphics are great and the gameplay is still good,but the game is not a horror game anymore coz you carry alot of ammo and health packs and those dark places in the previous games do not exist here.
    the blood in this game looks bad and disappeares fast,also the dead bodies disappear fast.
    the new weapon crafting system is a good idea,but i did not
    the new weapon crafting system is a good idea,but i did not like it and found it confusing,also it lead to crafting weapons that looked bad and had no specific name.
    i really liked the weapons from the last 2 games they had better alternative firing and the upgrades in the previous games were way better than this upgrade system.
    the game has good suits especially the Arc suit but suits in dead space 2 had better looks (how the did they forget the ADVANCED SUIT!!.)
    the game is long and took me 12 hours and 26 min,good atmosphere,great characters especially Ellie and that mother****er Norton.
    good looking enemies but they are not as good as those in dead space 2,but my biggest problem with this game was the chapters from 15 to 18,coz they really sucked BALLS!!!,but the last chapter was epic.
    The story was not good too and the game turned from horror to action adventure in the last chapters, i found my self climbing tall ass mountains and killing many humans, seriously i don't know what the were the developers doing.
    the game is a dead space from CH1 to CH14,the atmosphere is good even if it was not scary and you will want to play it again but i really hope that EA won't do dead space 4 coz from what i see,their games are getting worse and alot of great franchises are ruined already
  82. Jul 27, 2014
    The gameplay from DS1/2 has definitely turned from horror story to action with a scifi horror theme for this 3rd installment. If you were solely invested in the first two games for the horror /survival element you will be disappointed. But if you were like me and found some of the mechanics of the first two somewhat tedious and don't really care that much about being 'scared' by a videoThe gameplay from DS1/2 has definitely turned from horror story to action with a scifi horror theme for this 3rd installment. If you were solely invested in the first two games for the horror /survival element you will be disappointed. But if you were like me and found some of the mechanics of the first two somewhat tedious and don't really care that much about being 'scared' by a video game then DS3 delivers. The story and game itself aren't scary really but I never found the first two scary, i mean...it's a video game, right? The story has however become much more complex (a little convoluted and some plot holes) and grandiose. You could argue more generic but it still fun to play and figure out what's going on.

The bench system and building your own weapons is incredibly rewarding, although probably about 1/2 way through the game you'll likely find the right gun combo/formula that will make the remainder of the game somewhat easy. (I'm playing again on impossible and not having much trouble at all with my 2 favorite guns).

The visuals have improved significantly and the zero gravity elements went from incredibly annoying (DS1) to some of the most fun and exciting elements of the game. The suit mechanics changed, I wouldn't argue for them being better or worse just different.

Altogether I had more fun playing this one than both DS1 and DS2.
  83. Feb 11, 2013
    This game is so bad... cant believe it. After the awesome Dead Space 1 and 2 they bring us this horrible game. It feels like an action shooter. You enter a room kill 4-5 enemies, next room the same. You have to wait in front of every door, because first it has to load for like 10 seconds. Dead Space was a great game but the sales figures where bad so they decided to make an actionThis game is so bad... cant believe it. After the awesome Dead Space 1 and 2 they bring us this horrible game. It feels like an action shooter. You enter a room kill 4-5 enemies, next room the same. You have to wait in front of every door, because first it has to load for like 10 seconds. Dead Space was a great game but the sales figures where bad so they decided to make an action shooter with the name Dead Space 3 so more people will buy it, for example COD fans. maybe this game has a solid coop part, and maybe some people which are new to Dead Space will like this action shooter but if you are a fan of the first two Dead Space Games you shouldn't buy Dead Space 3. So in the end EA and Visceral destroyed a great game franchise because they want to have more and more money. Definitely my last EA game. Expand
  84. Mar 31, 2013
    The story is pretty boring and generic,the: "find the root of the problem and destroy it" story.The characters are as uninteresting as the villains.I remember Buckell's death outside the elevator,and I was like "Oh Ok".Hell,even Issac and Ellie are boring,and they're the main characters! The weapon crafting is cool but takes a while to understand,the game gives a lot of ammo on lowerThe story is pretty boring and generic,the: "find the root of the problem and destroy it" story.The characters are as uninteresting as the villains.I remember Buckell's death outside the elevator,and I was like "Oh Ok".Hell,even Issac and Ellie are boring,and they're the main characters! The weapon crafting is cool but takes a while to understand,the game gives a lot of ammo on lower difficulties and in Hard ammo is non-existent.There are only 2 main environments,the Ships and Space,and Tau Volantis.The abandoned spaceships really bring back the tight-corridor feel that made the first game successful,while Tau Volantis is just a boring shade of white. Instead of not knowing when necromorphs are gonna pop out like in the first 2 games,you can pretty much predict when they're gonna come.And they swarm you,making it more action than scary.The new save system is crap,as I played the first 5 levels four times cus they said that it could not save.It ended up being Origin's fault,and after i finished playing the game on Classic Mode,they tell me the first 13 levels were not saved.You know what,if you ARE gonna make another DS game,bring back the save stations.If you aren't a DS fan,don't get it. I would rather you spend $60 on another game. Expand
  85. Jun 24, 2013
    Dead Space 3: The Perfect Necromorph

My expectations were big for Dead Space 3, even if the game didn't seem spooky anymore and well, you know, EA was in charge. I really appreciated the first 2 games and I wanted to see the finally. I got what I wanted, but at a certain price.. First things first, Dead Space 3 was developed for consoles and unfortunately for us PC gamers, it's a
    Dead Space 3: The Perfect Necromorph

First things first, Dead Space 3 was developed for consoles and unfortunately for us PC gamers, it's a straight port. The controls are awful and absolutely not intuitive. A good example would be the key to exit menus, sometimes it's TAB, sometimes ESC. I strongly recommend re-mapping the hot-keys unless you want your hand to feel like a spider on the keyboard. The graphics are the same as on console and they're aren't any fancy settings like FOV. I don't understand why EA would put zero effort in the PC version of a game they want to sell massively and be successful. It's like EA still doesn't care about PC Gamers and think they are a minority.

At least EA did us a favor, they added micro-transactions to the game, cause hey, we love micro-transactions, don't we.. Not only is there micro-transactions, co op was added to the game! But don't worry, not the lame local co op were you get to play with your friend on the couch and have a great time. Instead, both have to pay for the game, full price and play online on stable servers. Thank you EA for your generosity, kindness and openness to customer feedback!

For the core game-play itself, it's not that bad. You can only carry two guns with you, instead of four, but the dismemberment still feels good and that's important for a third game in a franchise that's about killing alien zombies. The Necromorphs also still feel dangerous and scary, that last aspect being a concern for a lot of players before release. Visceral Games decided to renew the crafting system or as they call it the "bench". You can now create your own weapons and items from materials which are scavenged by bots you send out. It's a fun addition, but I had so many health packs I never felt I needed to make some until the very end. Another poor aspect of the game-play were boss fights. They were completely unoriginal and way too simple, including the finally. Developers seem to have a hard time making good boss fights these days. If your going to have boss fights in your game, at least make them fun and challenging or don't put them at all.

The last aspect that I haven't talked about is the reason why I bought the game: the story. The background story, the main plot, is the best part of the game and it's what saves it. If you are a Dead Space fan like me, you've always wanted to know the truth behind those Markers and that Visceral Games delivered. There is only one thing that bothered me in the story: the relationship between Isaac and Ellie. In the first game, our favorite engineer is in love with his girlfriend Nicole and misses her terribly. In the second game we meet Ellie, but Clarke has visions of Nicole and is still clearly in love with her. Nothing special happens between Ellie and Isaac, they simply help each other out. Now apparently, we haven't seen Ellie since, but we are heartbroken and miss her terribly. I don't get the sudden change. The whole story I never bit the new romance. It's like they completely forgot about Nicole and replaced her with Ellie. Isaac doesn't even mention her once or think about her, even if she was a very important character in the first two games.

Dead Space 3 is exactly like one of it's horrible creatures: the transformation from console to PC was horrible, it's hungry for you(or your money), it's not too friendly about having fun with someone else, the flesh around it is rotten and you can't feel much compassion for it, but at it's core, it is what it is, a Dead Space game. That's what saved it, but to get there, I had to go through a lot of rotten flesh and that's a hard price to pay(apart from the 60$) just to have a bit of fun and learn the truth. I would only recommend the game to real Dead Space fans, that have played both first games and I also suggest you wait for the price to lower(around 20$). EA should leave this franchise alone for a couple of years, before it completely decays. I know there's a DLC for the game, but that should of not even existed. Maybe EA is using the Dead Space games to pass subliminal messages to players: "Make us whole EA, make us whole!", but so far I don't think that's working out too good for them.

Verdict
    A good Dead Space game at it's core, but the flesh around it leaves a bitter taste.

Score: 6.5/10

- The love story
    - Micro-transactions
    - No local co op
  86. Aug 29, 2013
    Grapics are good, framerate is perfect at 1920x1080 high with HD6850. Sounds are perfect. Gameplay is the common Dead Space gameplay, i love it. Coop is fun, but no voice button, no chat? Cammon.... Main plot is okay, but you save the world again, opps... no you dont? DLC, Story continues... Never ending story... nevermind, i love this game
  87. Aug 17, 2014
    This game was such a huge disappointment... The crappy crafting system, the retarded enemy ai, the predictable "take the long way" situations, fetch quests similar to those in a repetitive and boring mmo in a single player "horror" story. The replacement of bad-ass Ellie to "damsel in distress can't do sh*t myself anymore" version of Ellie. Plot holes, the plot itself, micro-transactionsThis game was such a huge disappointment... The crappy crafting system, the retarded enemy ai, the predictable "take the long way" situations, fetch quests similar to those in a repetitive and boring mmo in a single player "horror" story. The replacement of bad-ass Ellie to "damsel in distress can't do sh*t myself anymore" version of Ellie. Plot holes, the plot itself, micro-transactions to play a single-player game.

Everything adds up to a huge 1, 1 it gets for graphics, but would rather look at my computers wallpaper background of the Dead Space 1 or Dead Space 2 for 9 hours than play this **** anymore. Why not loop big buck bunny on repeat for 9 hours, still a better story than this crap.
  88. Feb 25, 2013
    I played Dead Space 1 and 2 and as far as I'm concerned, this is a great 3rd installment. I'm now replaying it on "Survival" mode and enjoying it.

My favourite parts of the game were in orbit above Tau Volantis, going from ship to ship, looking for stuff and the great vista of being in space and above that world. I liked the differences between this game and the others making my

I liked the differences between this game and the others making my own weapons, upgrading them with different circuit boards and attatchments. I think this 3rd Dead Space game needed changes otherwise it would just be the same formula all over again. Seems to me the developers did a smashing job of keeping what was really great about the other 2 games and adding in new aspects.

There were more problems than usual with some glitches, like not being able to pick up ammo or some other things. I recommend not getting the voice "personalities" for the bots it gets really annoying after a while and it's like they never shut up sometimes.

Considering they made this game in 2 years, compared to Aliens: Colonial Marines" five years well, they did an amazing job. And the Co-op is well implemented thanks Visceral for another great effort, much appreciated !

Story was okay for me, ending too this is one of the best games I've played this year not sure what people are complaining about. I wonder sometimes if some gamers are becoming way way too demanding and critical jeepers Stop the whining and enjoy this game already :D
  89. Feb 8, 2013
    Satisfying ending even for a hardcore Dead Space fan like me. Sure the game is linear, but it's fun to play with friends and even alone. Crafting weapons is pretty bland in my humble opinion. I prefer the suits and weapons from DS2. This game is by no chance just a 5/10. Got to equal out certain reviews. Honest and fair rating would be a 7.5/10, the minus 2.5 because it's a direct consoleSatisfying ending even for a hardcore Dead Space fan like me. Sure the game is linear, but it's fun to play with friends and even alone. Crafting weapons is pretty bland in my humble opinion. I prefer the suits and weapons from DS2. This game is by no chance just a 5/10. Got to equal out certain reviews. Honest and fair rating would be a 7.5/10, the minus 2.5 because it's a direct console to PC port with zero to low optimization. Expand
  90. Feb 9, 2013
    This franchise is among my favorite in the entire industry. This first game was one of the scariest thing I've ever experienced and the second one was a great game but I did find my self scared a jump scare or two got me but that was it. This game had quite a lot of attempts at scare but, much like the second, not many got pass. The overall mood of the game is mildly tense in a scary wayThis franchise is among my favorite in the entire industry. This first game was one of the scariest thing I've ever experienced and the second one was a great game but I did find my self scared a jump scare or two got me but that was it. This game had quite a lot of attempts at scare but, much like the second, not many got pass. The overall mood of the game is mildly tense in a scary way but there is a large amount tension in not knowing what is going to happen next. The mood of the game best shows through during solo play, save co-op for your second play through. Overall, much like the second game, it does less than stellar in the horror genre, unless you are easily gotten by jump scares. On the earlier mention not of co-op, it works great when you have no one in your game then there is no AI to follow you around leavening the feel of the game intact, rather than making you fell like a babysitter for your AI partner. The combat is as great as ever and the weapon crafting system is easy and one of the most fun this about the game can be making new weapons. If you like the old weapons than have no fear they all make a return. There is even a mode unlocked upon beating the game that is unlocked where you can only use those guns. Speaking of other modes there are 4 in total, not including new game that add in things that make the game more interesting, like hardcore where you have to play the game without dying once or pure survival where you must craft med-kits and ammo as you find none through. This helps to boost replay value even higher which is amassing considering that this games cut-scenes are short and none feel unneeded. The pacing of the story is great if you like to explore your game worlds, if not it might be a little slow, the last two chapters, out of the nineteen in the game, felt a little rush as the story accelerated towards the finale. Exploring is rewarded in this game with not only achievements but in game rewards every time you complete a set, which range from text log to weapon parts and even artifacts.

So to summarize if your looking solely for a horror game then look elsewhere but that is not to say the game is not great. The combat and mechanics are great and work flawlessly. The atmosphere is mildly tense and will keep you guessing on what will happen next. the graphics and sound design are beyond stellar. Replay value is high.
  91. Feb 14, 2013
    While it may not be the amazing horror/survival game that the original Dead Space was, I found it to be a more-than adequate addition to the series thus-far. Story wise, it tied together a bit of confusion, but left enough questions to prevent our need for answers from being sated.

Another welcome thing was, in my eyes, the action. Horror gets stale when used repeatedly in the same universe, under similar pretense. If they had attempted to maintain it as primary any longer, it would have been the biggest detriment to the series.

I ran into a few bugs here and there, but altogether it was a solid play-through. The whole unification of ammo thing seems to have oversimplified things. Maybe bringing it down to 2 ammo supplies, like regular/explosive might have been better, but hey, overall, it left me digging through my inventory less. Which brings me to my next point: Having unlocked all the slots in my inventory twice in the previous games, I was happy to start with all my sockets open.

I found the entire crafting system extremely fun, and wound up using much more weaponry than in previous games, especially thanks to the ability to craft a second weapon onto most guns.

And regarding the in-game purchases... I made it through an entire game never thinking I was missing anything. I had plenty of resources, and more-than-adequate circuit-upgrades. Let people with extra money laying around spoil themselves if they want, but it didn't detract anything from the game.

To summarize, and reiterate my first point: An excellent addition to the series, with strong and (for the most part) well-varied game-play. The story was surprisingly captivating, and the characters, while overbearing at times, were surprisingly relatable. They even had me as angry as Isaac at one point atop the mountain.
  92. Feb 9, 2013
    This is a good trilogy. I'm saying, that these three games has good storyline, game play and they are great overall. They lure you in with small hallways, dark corridors and fearsome enemies. The games are not quite different from each other, but they have small changes. Dead Space 3 had "changed" the most. The action is more intensive in this game, and can in more challenging in a fewThis is a good trilogy. I'm saying, that these three games has good storyline, game play and they are great overall. They lure you in with small hallways, dark corridors and fearsome enemies. The games are not quite different from each other, but they have small changes. Dead Space 3 had "changed" the most. The action is more intensive in this game, and can in more challenging in a few parts. Of course, there is a debate that this game has a smaller scare factor. THAT only doesn't make the game bad! It's a silly to say, that this game is bad, because it focuses more on the action. However, there are let downs. The bosses aren't that challenging, if you even encounter them, because there aren't that many, compared to the other games in the series. The storyline is good in my opinion, and the ending is great, but it's still a bit cliché. But, you can't expect more, because it's the third game. You can always improve the game in a series, but there is a problem with it. The problem is, that the fans will take EVERY slight change about the game and make a big fuss about it. People say, that this game is bad, because EA created it and they created it to get more money. Of course, making a third of a fourth game is kinda money making, but they didn't make this THAT bad, as people say. It feels like it's really trying to grow up to the other games, but it can't reach that point, when you can say, that this game is unique in the series.

Overall, the game has it's ups and downs, but if you're really looking for a good TPS, which has a good storyline and a little dark tone to it, this game is for you, but consider to wait for a price drop.
  93. Feb 16, 2013
    I can't believe all of these low scores. The game is FUN, it's long (took be 17 hours to complete my 1st playthrough and I didn't rush it nor did I just "walk" through, I enjoyed my experience), and a great story. There are plenty of scares though not as many as Dead Space 1 and 2 (but still enough and I found myself getting startled plenty of times), the work bench is awesome with plentyI can't believe all of these low scores. The game is FUN, it's long (took be 17 hours to complete my 1st playthrough and I didn't rush it nor did I just "walk" through, I enjoyed my experience), and a great story. There are plenty of scares though not as many as Dead Space 1 and 2 (but still enough and I found myself getting startled plenty of times), the work bench is awesome with plenty to do in terms of creating weapons from materials you collect or you can create guns via blueprints you pick up throughout the game,. You can also create secondary items such as ammo, stasis packs, health packs, and torque bars (which are used to open locked storage rooms). You even have salvage bots that help you collect materials. I never felt that the game became repetitive like some reviews suggest, and I'm guessing it's because you backtrack a few times to access areas you could not access before. For me that gives the feeling of accomplishment, that I have progressed enough to achieve what was needed to access a new area. There are plenty of interactive "things" to do in-game that help keep monotony at a minimum. I even read a few reviews that complained that some doors took too long to open. That's just ridiculous, play the game and you'll see why I say that. The more reviews I read the more I start to think this new generation of gamers has an ADHD issue.

So do yourself a favor and play it yourself and come up with your own conclusion. My expectations were low from reviews I had read and I was surprisingly blown away by DS3. So far this is easily my choice for GotY. Thank you Visceral Games for creating such a great game. Too bad you weren't the ones to develop Aliens: Colonial Marines.
  94. Feb 10, 2013
    I don't know why all of the negative reviews this game is getting. Out of all of the Dead Space games i've played on PC, this one is extremely well ported to the PC. Their is a little more action, but they executed it PERFECTLY. I wish I could give this game a 20.
  95. Feb 8, 2013
    Let me say i loved the first two games so much and when i started playng the third dead space on PC i said Visceral games going on right way. This is the Dead space what i exacly want to be. I got many friends and offcourse the best choice to play in co-op with your friend. This is the most important feature of the game is co-op. I also love what they done to weapon costumization there rLet me say i loved the first two games so much and when i started playng the third dead space on PC i said Visceral games going on right way. This is the Dead space what i exacly want to be. I got many friends and offcourse the best choice to play in co-op with your friend. This is the most important feature of the game is co-op. I also love what they done to weapon costumization there r so many choices to upgrade your way how you like. Also bonus missions is lovely, it gives you more things to do in game not just playng story line and finish the game. In overall the game is awsome and i want Visceral games to go this way like they made Dead space 3. Thankyou Expand
  96. Feb 10, 2013
    I thought this game would be awful. Let's get the bad out of the way. It's not Dead Space and it isn't scary. While the gameplay itself works fine for a port (no wonky mouse issues, or poor performance), the menu is literally broken. I have no mouse cursor on the menu overlay. Sometimes there is a phantom mouse and I can still select things blindly, but sometimes there is no mouseI thought this game would be awful. Let's get the bad out of the way. It's not Dead Space and it isn't scary. While the gameplay itself works fine for a port (no wonky mouse issues, or poor performance), the menu is literally broken. I have no mouse cursor on the menu overlay. Sometimes there is a phantom mouse and I can still select things blindly, but sometimes there is no mouse interaction at all. Utilizing the arrow keys doesn't work either. For some reason, when this happens, you can hammer Enter repeatedly and eventually get a response from the game. Very strange. Other people have mentioned this, as well as being bounced to desktop while game is running. I think both are the same issue and have to do with the game losing focus in the menu screens.

Technical issues aside, the lack of the scares you WANT from a Dead Space title, the story is also very stupid. Toss in micro-pay and Origin and now you have all the elements necessary to create an incredibly steaming pile of $%^&.

Now, I won't deny that it is the sum of all those terrible things...but damn if it doesn't still manage to be fun. Game has a lot of atmosphere, they have really nailed that over the shoulder perspective, and the combat is streamlined and perfected. Game looks incredible. I don't blame the developer for not supporting DX11...as it doesn't really bring that much to the table anyway.

I think what I would recommend to most people, is to wait 6-9 months until it drops to 19.99 or 29.99. If you want another Dead Space, but thought Dead Space 2 jumped the shark: Don't get this game. If you are looking to drop your dime on a horror title, this isn't the one.

I know I am making this game sound really bad...and it genuinely is...but I'm just trying to be honest. And if I have to be honest, it still manages to be a really fun ride. Maybe this game has some sort of subliminal messaging going on. Is that what's up with the menu screen? Jokes aside, like a glossy sub-B movie that is entirely aware that it's a C or a D but pulls out all the stops in the presentation and the presentation is pretty exceptional.
  97. Feb 15, 2013
    I'll just say, that at this precise moment it really deserves the 7 it's getting. Hell, it can probably go higher after a few patches. Time will tell. In short, the graphics are more than satisfactory, the writing and voice acting is excellent and immersive, the story CAN get a little cliche and vague at times, but it seems as a logical evolution of previous installments. Now one thingI'll just say, that at this precise moment it really deserves the 7 it's getting. Hell, it can probably go higher after a few patches. Time will tell. In short, the graphics are more than satisfactory, the writing and voice acting is excellent and immersive, the story CAN get a little cliche and vague at times, but it seems as a logical evolution of previous installments. Now one thing that everyone is mentioning is the dynamic of the gameplay. It's a tad more faster paced than the DS1 2, the enemies are more aggressive and faster, while the ammo is scarce at best (though that could be a matter of Difficulty). The overall atmosphere feels the same, the gritty, bloodstained corridors, the unidentifiable noises and the ever-familiar vent-scares are there, though how well they actually work with the more aggressive gameplay, that is up to each individual gamer's taste. If i had one thing to complain about, it would be the feeling of playing an unfinished product. There are some bits here and there, that feel very unpolished and even laughable, which, for me, ruins the whole experience. In summation: It's not the shiniest addition to a franchise, but it's a very good game in its own right. Expand
  98. Feb 7, 2013
    I'm not sure why people hate this game.. If you liked the first two you'll enjoy this one. I'm only about 2 hours into the game and already the graphics, environments, and set up has me drooling in fear and excitement. Remember how the controls were a little sluggish in 1 2? DS3 has fixed that sludgey feeling with a much more responsive control scheme. The baddies are scary as ever. TheI'm not sure why people hate this game.. If you liked the first two you'll enjoy this one. I'm only about 2 hours into the game and already the graphics, environments, and set up has me drooling in fear and excitement. Remember how the controls were a little sluggish in 1 2? DS3 has fixed that sludgey feeling with a much more responsive control scheme. The baddies are scary as ever. The level design has been vastly improved. No more hallway, hallway, room full of monsters, hallway feel. I think it was worth my $53. Go to greenmangaming.com to grab a downloadable copy since Steam isn't hosting it for some reason. Expand
  99. Feb 12, 2013
    I have no idea what everyone is saying about how this isn't survival horror. It is. Plain and simple. Play in 1 person mode and this game will freak you out on a consistent basis. And YES! They are ALL jump scares. But that's all Dead Space has ever been. There haven't been many genuinely scary moments in this franchise, and to say that there have been is fooling yourself. On another sideI have no idea what everyone is saying about how this isn't survival horror. It is. Plain and simple. Play in 1 person mode and this game will freak you out on a consistent basis. And YES! They are ALL jump scares. But that's all Dead Space has ever been. There haven't been many genuinely scary moments in this franchise, and to say that there have been is fooling yourself. On another side note, if you like the jump scares so much MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT DEAD SPACE 2. EA publicly announced that they had to incorporate more action into this installment due to low sales of Dead Space 2 vs 1. Support what you like, or see it changed/cancelled. Wrapping it up-If you liked Dead Space 1/2, you will like this game. Plain and simple. Expand
  100. Feb 5, 2013
    Mutiplayer is not forced on you like RE 5/6, you can play alone WITHOUT an AI partner. Its just like the old games this way. The only problem with this game is the fact that its the 3rd game in the series and by now people are used to the gameplay and it all feels very familiar.

Don't like the microtransactions? Good for you and you can 100% ignore them. They are not required to play or complete the game. If others want to "waste" more money then let them. Its their life.

If the mindless bandwagon haters would calm down and look at this objectively you would see that its a great game like the previous ones.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    Its emphasis on the action element might be a nuisance to some of the franchise’s fans, but the game’s production values in every aspect will reward even the most doubtful gamer. [March 2013]
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Mar 30, 2013
    Dead Space 3 brings refreshing gameplay options without sacrificing the gritty, believable universe, but scares are few and far between. [Apr 2013, p.92]
  3. Feb 28, 2013
    Finishing a trilogy was always going to need bigger explosions and greater stakes – unfortunately this has come at the sacrifice of true horror.