5.9

1. Feb 6, 2013
    Haters gonna hate. This is just as good as Dead Space 1 2 honestly. The coop is actually a neat addition to the series and the game is still scary if you play it at a higher difficulty setting. Weapon Crafting is handled well and adds a nice layer of customization. For anyone having issues with the FPS being locked to 30: Turn vsync off in the game and force vsync through your GPU control panel. After doing that I was able to play the game maxed out 150fps. Expand
  2. Feb 13, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is a must have for series fans as well as random FPS/TPS gamers, mixing the survival horror mechanic of DS1 plus the TPS action style from DS2, all packed with a great plot as well as an involving storytelling.
    On PC the 60 fps graphics and surround sound are excellent, and you'll enjoy once again the outstanding attention to detail of the environment.
    Gameplay is fluid and
    really enjoyable, with more emphasis on action (as the"dodge" feature) than the previous two games but without losing too much his survival horror component (you'll shout a little less than you've done in DS1 and 2).
    The soundtrack is epic and amazing but less "fear delivering" than the ones in Dead Space 1 and 2.
    I give it 9/10 because of the final, to much fictional and less scientific.
  3. Feb 7, 2013
    I'm not sure why people hate this game.. If you liked the first two you'll enjoy this one. I'm only about 2 hours into the game and already the graphics, environments, and set up has me drooling in fear and excitement. Remember how the controls were a little sluggish in 1 2? DS3 has fixed that sludgey feeling with a much more responsive control scheme. The baddies are scary as ever. The level design has been vastly improved. No more hallway, hallway, room full of monsters, hallway feel. I think it was worth my $53. Go to greenmangaming.com to grab a downloadable copy since Steam isn't hosting it for some reason. Expand
  4. Feb 9, 2013
    This franchise is among my favorite in the entire industry. This first game was one of the scariest thing I've ever experienced and the second one was a great game but I did find my self scared a jump scare or two got me but that was it. This game had quite a lot of attempts at scare but, much like the second, not many got pass. The overall mood of the game is mildly tense in a scary way but there is a large amount tension in not knowing what is going to happen next. The mood of the game best shows through during solo play, save co-op for your second play through. Overall, much like the second game, it does less than stellar in the horror genre, unless you are easily gotten by jump scares. On the earlier mention not of co-op, it works great when you have no one in your game then there is no AI to follow you around leavening the feel of the game intact, rather than making you fell like a babysitter for your AI partner. The combat is as great as ever and the weapon crafting system is easy and one of the most fun this about the game can be making new weapons. If you like the old weapons than have no fear they all make a return. There is even a mode unlocked upon beating the game that is unlocked where you can only use those guns. Speaking of other modes there are 4 in total, not including new game that add in things that make the game more interesting, like hardcore where you have to play the game without dying once or pure survival where you must craft med-kits and ammo as you find none through. This helps to boost replay value even higher which is amassing considering that this games cut-scenes are short and none feel unneeded. The pacing of the story is great if you like to explore your game worlds, if not it might be a little slow, the last two chapters, out of the nineteen in the game, felt a little rush as the story accelerated towards the finale. Exploring is rewarded in this game with not only achievements but in game rewards every time you complete a set, which range from text log to weapon parts and even artifacts.

So to summarize if your looking solely for a horror game then look elsewhere but that is not to say the game is not great. The combat and mechanics are great and work flawlessly. The atmosphere is mildly tense and will keep you guessing on what will happen next. the graphics and sound design are beyond stellar. Replay value is high.
  5. Feb 11, 2013
    I have read many of the reviews and I dont think people got the memo that this was not gonna be a horror game like its predecessors. Its an Action/FPS/RPG now and I think some players got a bit hurt about that. I have found the storyline well written and the voice over work to be well done. The shooting works well and the game moves smoothly through a very well rendered world of space mutant necro-bugs. If you liked Mass Effect then you will like this game. Dead space 1 and 2 are totally different games and Im thankful they decided to go another route with this one. Expand
  6. Feb 8, 2013
    Satisfying ending even for a hardcore Dead Space fan like me. Sure the game is linear, but it's fun to play with friends and even alone. Crafting weapons is pretty bland in my humble opinion. I prefer the suits and weapons from DS2. This game is by no chance just a 5/10. Got to equal out certain reviews. Honest and fair rating would be a 7.5/10, the minus 2.5 because it's a direct console to PC port with zero to low optimization. Expand
  7. Feb 25, 2013
    I played Dead Space 1 and 2 and as far as I'm concerned, this is a great 3rd installment. I'm now replaying it on "Survival" mode and enjoying it.

My favourite parts of the game were in orbit above Tau Volantis, going from ship to ship, looking for stuff and the great vista of being in space and above that world.

I liked the differences between this game and the others making my
    own weapons, upgrading them with different circuit boards and attatchments. I think this 3rd Dead Space game needed changes otherwise it would just be the same formula all over again. Seems to me the developers did a smashing job of keeping what was really great about the other 2 games and adding in new aspects.

There were more problems than usual with some glitches, like not being able to pick up ammo or some other things. I recommend not getting the voice "personalities" for the bots it gets really annoying after a while and it's like they never shut up sometimes.

Considering they made this game in 2 years, compared to Aliens: Colonial Marines" five years well, they did an amazing job. And the Co-op is well implemented thanks Visceral for another great effort, much appreciated !

Story was okay for me, ending too this is one of the best games I've played this year not sure what people are complaining about. I wonder sometimes if some gamers are becoming way way too demanding and critical jeepers Stop the whining and enjoy this game already :D
  8. Feb 10, 2013
    I don't know why all of the negative reviews this game is getting. Out of all of the Dead Space games i've played on PC, this one is extremely well ported to the PC. Their is a little more action, but they executed it PERFECTLY. I wish I could give this game a 20.
  9. Feb 8, 2013
    Let me say i loved the first two games so much and when i started playng the third dead space on PC i said Visceral games going on right way. This is the Dead space what i exacly want to be. I got many friends and offcourse the best choice to play in co-op with your friend. This is the most important feature of the game is co-op. I also love what they done to weapon costumization there r so many choices to upgrade your way how you like. Also bonus missions is lovely, it gives you more things to do in game not just playng story line and finish the game. In overall the game is awsome and i want Visceral games to go this way like they made Dead space 3. Thankyou Expand
  10. Feb 14, 2013
    While it may not be the amazing horror/survival game that the original Dead Space was, I found it to be a more-than adequate addition to the series thus-far. Story wise, it tied together a bit of confusion, but left enough questions to prevent our need for answers from being sated.

Another welcome thing was, in my eyes, the action. Horror gets stale when used repeatedly in the same
    universe, under similar pretense. If they had attempted to maintain it as primary any longer, it would have been the biggest detriment to the series.

I ran into a few bugs here and there, but altogether it was a solid play-through. The whole unification of ammo thing seems to have oversimplified things. Maybe bringing it down to 2 ammo supplies, like regular/explosive might have been better, but hey, overall, it left me digging through my inventory less. Which brings me to my next point: Having unlocked all the slots in my inventory twice in the previous games, I was happy to start with all my sockets open.

I found the entire crafting system extremely fun, and wound up using much more weaponry than in previous games, especially thanks to the ability to craft a second weapon onto most guns.

And regarding the in-game purchases... I made it through an entire game never thinking I was missing anything. I had plenty of resources, and more-than-adequate circuit-upgrades. Let people with extra money laying around spoil themselves if they want, but it didn't detract anything from the game.

To summarize, and reiterate my first point: An excellent addition to the series, with strong and (for the most part) well-varied game-play. The story was surprisingly captivating, and the characters, while overbearing at times, were surprisingly relatable. They even had me as angry as Isaac at one point atop the mountain.
  11. Feb 12, 2013
    I have no idea what everyone is saying about how this isn't survival horror. It is. Plain and simple. Play in 1 person mode and this game will freak you out on a consistent basis. And YES! They are ALL jump scares. But that's all Dead Space has ever been. There haven't been many genuinely scary moments in this franchise, and to say that there have been is fooling yourself. On another side note, if you like the jump scares so much MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT DEAD SPACE 2. EA publicly announced that they had to incorporate more action into this installment due to low sales of Dead Space 2 vs 1. Support what you like, or see it changed/cancelled. Wrapping it up-If you liked Dead Space 1/2, you will like this game. Plain and simple. Expand
  12. Feb 16, 2013
    I can't believe all of these low scores. The game is FUN, it's long (took be 17 hours to complete my 1st playthrough and I didn't rush it nor did I just "walk" through, I enjoyed my experience), and a great story. There are plenty of scares though not as many as Dead Space 1 and 2 (but still enough and I found myself getting startled plenty of times), the work bench is awesome with plenty to do in terms of creating weapons from materials you collect or you can create guns via blueprints you pick up throughout the game,. You can also create secondary items such as ammo, stasis packs, health packs, and torque bars (which are used to open locked storage rooms). You even have salvage bots that help you collect materials. I never felt that the game became repetitive like some reviews suggest, and I'm guessing it's because you backtrack a few times to access areas you could not access before. For me that gives the feeling of accomplishment, that I have progressed enough to achieve what was needed to access a new area. There are plenty of interactive "things" to do in-game that help keep monotony at a minimum. I even read a few reviews that complained that some doors took too long to open. That's just ridiculous, play the game and you'll see why I say that. The more reviews I read the more I start to think this new generation of gamers has an ADHD issue.

So do yourself a favor and play it yourself and come up with your own conclusion. My expectations were low from reviews I had read and I was surprisingly blown away by DS3. So far this is easily my choice for GotY. Thank you Visceral Games for creating such a great game. Too bad you weren't the ones to develop Aliens: Colonial Marines.
  13. Feb 8, 2013
    I am a little over half way through this title and have enjoyed it quite a bit. The graphics are the best yet in the series, the crafting system makes sense and allows for a fantastic amount of experimentation, and the openness of the game is a much appreciated addition. That being said, the game does have its flaws. The voice acting is a bit of a mixed bag, as is the story in general. It isn't bad, really, it just isn't as good as you want it to be. There are also pretty much the exact same enemies so far that have been in the series from the start. This was disappointing, but not too terrible as the enemies are on the whole well done despite their familiarity. None of my complaints about the game in any way diminishes what is an otherwise excellent entry ino the series. The game itself runs excellently, with the engine smooth and stable. There aren't even any clipping errors to be found. Very well polished in that regard. As a final note, the DLC is in NO WAY pushed on you. It isn't needed to progress through the game at all, nor do I feel like I am missing out on anything by not buying it. No worries there.

If you're a Dead Space fan, buy the game. If you're a fan of 3rd person shooters, this is a no-brainer. I wouldn't recommend it to those who aren't fans of the series and genre, though, as DS3 won't make any converts out of non-believers.
  14. Feb 7, 2013
    I noticed a short time before writing my review that the achievements in game aren't unlocking, or they are over counting the necessary amounts to complete the achievements. Not sure why entirely, but I think it would be good for them to fix that. Also, there's no way I know of if you buy the bot voice pack to turn it off. They should add that in so you can disable sound packs. Those are my only pieces of constructive criticism, other than make an open world dead space game The movement controls are slightly refined from dead space 2, the new weapon crafting system makes Isaac seem more like an engineer, crafting also ads the possibility for a huge amount of different weapons, being able to roam around the complex down on the planet and go between ships in space makes a nice addition to the dead space world. You can have a weapon add on that automatically picks up ammo. Would be nice to have that for the other items also. I love the story. It does go with the dead space world, so at times it's a bit predictable, but it kept me interested enough that the first day I got it I played 15 hours straight. Over all, they continued to achieve what makes dead space great as a solo horror game, and they co-op is outstanding! Resident evil takes the credit for starting the co-op in horror games, but how Visceral uses it, and doesn't makes the co-op like playing a different dead space game. Thanks for the hard work Visceral. Expand
  15. Feb 11, 2013
    Let me start by saying THE ONLY shortcoming DS3 or DS2 have had to DS1 was less focus on elaborate and sadistic/sick dead sequences. Usually your head just gets ripped off, body decapitated, maybe a necromorph throws up in your face, but you won't see them pick you up and dismember you piece-by-piece then crawl into your empty neck socket and lumber your corpse around the room. I loved that about DS1 but I find that stuff more funny in a twisted way than scary.
    -I don't understand people saying that DS3 is any different than DS1 or 2. It's not really anymore of an action game than it adding more elaborate action sequences here and there, which by no means are placed in a way that constantly interrupts the gameplay. DS1 was scary for about the first couple hours until killing monsters became a natural and simple process, there were no more scares to be had. If your idea of scary is a Disney park ride where arbitrary props pop out of the walls to scare you, then you need to go ride those some more and put down your controller. The only thing that makes any of these games "scary" is the slight adrenaline rush received by having to kill swarms of weird moving monsters before you get surrounded and mutilated. I'm sorry but after 3 installments of the game, even if DS1 had anything resembling scary it would have worn off by now for returning players, which is precisely why DS3 does not try to scare and instead throws more monsters at you. -Yes ammo management is less of a pain. If you like scrounging for ammo, they have a game mode for this. Yes there are many powerful weapons which can make it easier. If you like just simple weapons, there is also a game mode included for this. If you played the game on anything other than impossible, you should also put down your controller, none of the DS installments were incredibly difficult even on the hardest setting, especially with a mouse/pad instead of a analog stick at your disposal. -For me Dead Space was about the shooting aspect which DS3 delivers more so than any of the previous ones. It's really just a logical step forward from DS2 same as DS2 was to the original. They took the existing concepts and added on top of them. More items, more weapons, more monsters (but many of the same ones as well), a bit more story and a bit more action sequences. And that's not to say the action sequences felt alien to the rest of the gameplay, they felt very fluid and tied very well into the rest. DS3 still captures the remoteness of space, the feeling of claustrophobia, the sterile and industrial approach to space stations that DS1 and 2 had.
    -DS3 allows you to backtrack more which is an attempt to make the game feel less linear, which it accomplishes as well as one could expect for a game that does not try to be a RPG. It also accomplishes making the various space stations and locations you visit seem real, and the scenarios Isaac encounters also more realistic. You can space jump and explore the outside of the space station, for example. -DS3 still offers the hallway crawling and zero-G experiences DS1 and 2 had. You still chop limbs off of the enemies, you still prioritize targets and you still have to watch your back. It's not incredibly difficult but it's enough to avoid being over tedious, while still offering enough of a challenge to keep you interested. YMMV if you play on any mode other than impossible. I suspect many of the reviewers here giving DS3 negative reviews did not play it on impossible.
    -DS3 DOES NOT COMPARE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM TO THE DEBAUCLE OF THE LATEST RESIDENT EVIL. Anyone attempting to argue this in their review should offer you an immediate clue to skip their review; they are stupid and their reviews are stupid. The differences between DS3 and previous installments also are not analogous to the differences between RE6 and 5. In fact it's almost the opposite of what everyone is complaining about.
    -Bottom line: Dead Space cannot continue to be "scary" to returning veterans, it's a futile and impossible venture. Once you get used to the monsters popping out in front of you, it stops being scary. Once you get used to slaying necromorphs and playing with their dead bodies, they are no longer scary. DS3 attempts to keep you glued to the seat via fast paced shooting, fast paced action, rolling gameplay that does not feel choppy or inconsistent. -If you enjoyed becoming better and faster at dispatching necromorphs, watching badguys meet their untimely end, and getting revenge on unitologists, then DS3 is the game for you. If you like cheap thrills which get boring after an hour of playing, I would tell you to go play DS1 but honestly even DS1 was never that either. Some people here complaining about DS3 should go back and play DS1 again and see that it's no longer scary. This is as much a Dead Space as the first or second. Do not be fooled.
  16. Feb 12, 2013
    Dead Space 3 does a fantastic job continuing the journey of Isaac Clark to a climactic (if not entirely unbelievable) finish. There's a lot of hate towards this game right now, and I have no idea why. I played through the first two Dead Space games on the hard difficulty, and decided to do the same with DS3. I was definitely challenged, but not frustratingly so, which is more than I can say for Dead Space 2. In fact, I think DS3 is actually better at balancing challenge and fun, as DS2 was focused more on overwhelming the player with enemies, where in DS3 the enemies are still in great numbers, but not as much as the first two games.

The complaints about boring, repetitive side missions in DS3 are completely unwarranted. Each mission offers great nuggets of the DS story, and all of them feature custom VO work, unique combat situations, and in some cases other little gems. They aren't any more repetitive than all Dead Space games are repetitive; yes, you're going to be shooting necromorphs while traversing corridors... that's what every one of these games has been about, and Dead Space 3 doesn't change that.

If you came to Dead Space 3 expecting a different game, you came with bad expectations; Dead Space 3 is just as much Dead Space as the first two games. There are some great jump scares, fantastic zero-G areas to explore, some messed-up new enemies, and more Unitologists screwing everything up. However, Visceral has really streamlined the ammo and upgrade systems in this game, and thrown in something more complex, but also more fun.

The ability to gather resources to craft different weapon combos is awesome. There are in-game purchases available to boost your resources, but these are completely unneeded as the game throws plenty of resources your way. In fact, I was able to buy two of the DLC resource packs (the normal pack and the "elite" pack) using currency that I found in game before I finished it! Being able to create your own weapons truly allows you to play the game as you see fit, whether it's up close and personal or as far away as possible.

I should mention that all of my experience was from playing the game solo, which works almost perfectly in DS3. There are a couple awkward moments that were obviously intended for co-op, where your partner is next to you one second, then suddenly somewhere else, but those are few and far between. In addition to it's side missions, DS3 also offers co-op only missions, so there is no shortage of content whether you want to play alone or with a friend.

In summary, DS3 is everything that was great about the first two games, with a bit more action and a focus on customization. It's still scary, it's still brutal, and it kicks the action up to a whole new level with it's crazy ending. I can't wait to play it with a friend.
  17. Feb 15, 2013
    Ok. The first minutes of the game, I could not believe what they did with it. But when i like it. The game is perfect. I don't like the weapon and textures only
  18. Feb 23, 2013
    play the game till the end before rating it. the part on the planet is quite good as well as the ending.
    a few more boss fights would have been a plus.
  19. Feb 11, 2013
    I absolutely loved the first two Dead Space games. They are practically my religion. I've played DS1 13 times and DS2 9 times. DS3 is everything it should have been. I loved the weapon crafting, although I found myself longing to just recreate the classic weapons, which I did The co-op was not forced, and the levels were less linear and the monster design was fantastic, even if limited to only a few new additions to the necro library. The dessicated versions of slashers and leapers were very creepy and OMG the Feeders. Anyone who was not genuinely creeped out by Feeders wasn't playing the same game I was. I'm a hardened DS veteran and those guys gave me the heebeejeebees. ---For those who complain that the game wasn't survival enough for you, or was too much this or that, Visceral/EA included "Pure Survival" and "Classic" modes where you can play by your own playstyle. The only problem with their implementation of these is that they are NG+ modes, and they should have been available as difficulties from the start. At least pure survival, since that's the most oft-read complaint about the newer DS games. "Too actiony!" they say. You can't be afraid of something you understand. Xenomorphs weren't scary after the first Alien film, so James Cameron gave us Aliens. DS2 was the Aliens to DS1's Alien, and now we have a departure and reimagining of many aspects of the game in DS3's "The Thing" (a la John Carpenter). They nailed it. My only gripes are with the autosave feature (I lost progress due to a poorly timed crash a couple times) and that the last couple chapters leading up to the end were a bit drawn out. The game might have been a bit punchier with 17 chapters instead of 19, but I'm not complaining. The final areas are visually stunning and anyone who thinks Visceral and EA were making "an easy cash grab" obviously don't understand the work that goes into making those amazing set pieces. I've met the devs and they poured their soul into this game, and it shows. 10/10 exceeded expectations. Would recommend and will play again. Expand
  20. Feb 24, 2013
    I enjoyed the game. It's a must have in my opinion. Worth the price. Co-op is nicely implemented. If you're a fan of the series then this should definitely be included in your collection.
  21. Mar 5, 2013
    There is plenty of evil in this game. Honestly EA is a biggest horror which is scaring out of me when I am launching the game. I don't know why players are rating this game below 8. Maybe cause of EA which is trying to sell you Scrap Metal for some change. Great horror. Great series. Loads of action twist. Keep it up Visceral. Maybe not with EA.

Story: 9/10
    Graphics: 8/10
    Audio: 9/10

Terror: 10/10
  22. Mar 3, 2013
    just because the game isn't a carbon copy of the first two games doesn't mean its bad the game, the game really holds its own in the series as a game just as cool, and for most levels just as scary
  23. Mar 12, 2013
    Man I am in love with this DS3 so far. It's a mix of EVENT HORIZON, THE THING AND ALIEN RIDLEY SCOTT. I take back anything stupid that I said about this game. Is unique. There is a variety of levels and Gameplay modes. Playing on IMPOSSIBLE is really hard. If you don't go for the farming glitch. But even with the farming itens glitch it is still a great expectation.

There are a lot of people who just heard what another people talked about this game and they just took their conclusions without any chances.

I think the DEMO didn't make any justice on this one.

I loved.

There are lots of homages to THE THING (the movie with Kurt Russell) I just love it.

Very immersive and graphics on PC VERSION are something like NEXT GEN. If you turn off your V SYNC ON in game and turn it on NVIDIA or ATI control panel you will see how good is that. FRAME RATE is everything. The story is passable, but it doesn't interfere at all on your immersion.

I just loved the variety of stuff that you can do, and the craft weapons are pretty good though.

The best thing is to play this SOLO. CO OP seems to be pretty easy and takes off every exile sensation that we had on DS1 and DS2.

My score for this one is 9.0
  24. Apr 2, 2013
    Great Game, I love the new co-op campaign option and still has all the intense moments and lots of jump scares. Not as good as the first two Dead Space games but still heaps of fun
  25. Jul 27, 2014
    The gameplay from DS1/2 has definitely turned from horror story to action with a scifi horror theme for this 3rd installment. If you were solely invested in the first two games for the horror /survival element you will be disappointed. But if you were like me and found some of the mechanics of the first two somewhat tedious and don't really care that much about being 'scared' by a video game then DS3 delivers. The story and game itself aren't scary really but I never found the first two scary, i mean...it's a video game, right? The story has however become much more complex (a little convoluted and some plot holes) and grandiose. You could argue more generic but it still fun to play and figure out what's going on.

The bench system and building your own weapons is incredibly rewarding, although probably about 1/2 way through the game you'll likely find the right gun combo/formula that will make the remainder of the game somewhat easy. (I'm playing again on impossible and not having much trouble at all with my 2 favorite guns).

The visuals have improved significantly and the zero gravity elements went from incredibly annoying (DS1) to some of the most fun and exciting elements of the game. The suit mechanics changed, I wouldn't argue for them being better or worse just different.

Altogether I had more fun playing this one than both DS1 and DS2.
  26. Jun 22, 2013
    I've played Dead Space since the first. My port is the PC.

Dead Space 3 has proved to be my favorite. I felt the story was strong and the characters intriguing. I've heard other players saying it's not like the previous two installments, that it is more action oriented. I find it rather believable that the protagonist in this installment has more soldier class than engineer class
    given his fighting experiences in the two previous games. I would call him a veteran.

I like the additional PC settings. One of the best looking Dead Space games to date. I like the resource gathering. It's a neat addition (won't spoil past this). My only complaint is the lack of ammo variety.

I give this game full score.
  27. Apr 30, 2013
    Outstanding game. Personally, I started with Dead Space 2 and thought it was good, but had no urge to replay it. I then backtracked to Dead Space 1 and found it too old and clunky. So oddly, when I see so many reviews pining over the first two and hating the last? Not me. Dead Space 3 is awesome! And if you judge the game on it's own merits, maybe you'll be like me with over a hundred hours replaying this on the harder game modes that open up after you finish your first run. The voice acting was superb, the story was engrossing and even the text logs captured my attention. The cut scenes don't bog the game down. The quick time events are fun. And the game can be mastered. Right now I'm working on the hardcore mode where if you die, you have to start over... from the beginning. While some complain the monsters are too tough, the fact is I can get almost to the snow suit without even dying once. You just gotta stop shooting mindlessly, keep your cool and take careful aim at the limbs. Use your stasis liberally and you will see how this game teaches you to become an excellent shot. Pay attention to your scavenger bot radar too and put them down in the prime spots and your weapon upgrades you build with the resources will make you king of the hill. I personally liked the scavenging part a lot. It's a big part of the game and if you like that kind of thing, you will rake in the resources and find you can get some seriously powerful weapons. If you try to stick to the main path and avoid the looking around, the monsters will overcome you because you're using weak weapons. Obviously by my score, you can guess I like this game, but this is honestly the best shooter I've played. Ever. Expand
  28. Mar 13, 2013
    Never played DS1 or DS2. However, I read the plots and watched the movies before going into Dead Space 3. I'm one of those random few (apparently) that actually enjoy games like RE5, LP2 and BL2. In short, I'm a coop whore. If you're not, good for you and this review is not for you. I've already completed the game with a friend and I will say that as a coop game, DS3 is a good game. The visuals are pretty intense and I don't even want to know what the texture budget was. There are some minor plot holes and some surprises, but I couldn't help feeling that some of the plot seemed ripped out of the Mass Effect or Halo series. Its got all the hallmarks of a "massive race intent on harvesting all life and wiping the galaxy clean". Its passable for a single game but it leaves one to wonder how it will damage the series as a whole. As for gameplay, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Coop partner and I would cover each other through many events. The coop missions, which have one player hallucinating and seeing out-of-place objects, was a very nice touch. "Dude, do you see the presents and birthday cake!?" "Um... no... I see a crate... with blood on it. Its like every other crate we've seen" "So you don't also see the big banner that says 'happy birthday'?" "Nope." It is a conversation I will not soon forget. As far as the bench system is concerned, it is a nice touch but I found myself wanting more suit upgrades. The weapons are very customizable but the suits upgrade are pretty basic. For anyone wondering, the suits themselves are cosmetic only and have no effect on the game. Suit upgrades transfer between suits automatically. The one downside of the bench system is that in coop games, one partner may find themselves waiting on the other. A more user friendly interface for the bench (showing all upgrade menus, etc.) at once would've streamlined the process.

I will admit that the space interior and exterior environments in the first half of the chapters were the best in the game. Aside from the fact that half of the crew must have spent most of their lives in the many elevators (loading screens) in the game, it all felt connected and that you were actually in a game world. The planet side chapters often felt disconnected even though there was no clear cut-off or drop-in moment aside from when you arrive. I could have done without the rappel mountain sequences. If they would have made the entire game take place in space, I wouldn't have minded.

As far as difficulty (on normal), in coop it didn't seem insurmountable except for one long occasion in the second to last chapter when waves of enemies pour in. However, that same room/environment is reused three times in that chapter so the attack doesn't come as a surprise. The last chapters reuse a lot of the environment and feels a little rushed.

For the record, I was also not a fan of the last boss. It seemed nearly identical to the last boss in Mass Effect 2. Big boss, weak points, and done. I don't want to penalize the entire game though for one weak boss considering I was pleased with a majority of the game.

For this PC version, I will say I'm not a fan of Origin but it isn't very bothersome in this game and I've learned to loathe it less. EA has made some good strides in recent years, but they seem to be spending too much on games and betting too much at the Craps table. That argument applies to Dead Space 3 as well. The game has incredibly high productions values, but it makes you wonder where they could have walled the garden a bit more and spent less. Betting that your game will sell more than five million copies to turn a profit is a tough sell. I hope they will continue with their plans for a Dead Space 4 (albeit reign it in) and retain coop but only time will tell.

I am looking forward to working my way through pure survival mode next in coop.
  29. Nov 1, 2013
    Dead Space is one of my favorite franchises. I've enjoyed all three games. They have their differences and play styles, but overall it was a great experience. Coop and weapons crafting was a nice addition. Also, Dead Space 3 is one of the most visually stunning games I've ever seen. The micro transaction portion of the game is my only complaint, but other than that, it's a blast!
  30. Jun 10, 2014
    There's nothing wrong with this game, it is still as good and as scary as its predecessors. It is much more of an action, shooting gallery than Dead Space 2, however that didn't spoil the game for me at all.

Really recommend this if you loved DS and DS2, or if you're just a horror/survival genre enthusiast.
  31. May 5, 2013
    Dead Space 3 was easily the best of the series. A good story, fluid gameplay (finally) and so much immersion that I was actually surprised that devs were doing this again. The amount of detail is nothing short of staggering. I found myself sometimes just gazing at the scenery while being attacked and killed. Playing the game on hard is brutal to say the least. Your aim better be dead on and you better move quick, hack quick and map-maze quick or you will find yourself in quite the tissy. I don't see what others see in it lacking compared to the other two games. I see it evolving and changing into something more fluid and fun to play.

A great game. Highly recommended.
  32. Mar 3, 2013
    What a game! A great 3rd installment with parts that actually made me jump. However this game lost its final mark due to the gun making idea: circuit boards etc. were a concept I didn't quite grasp when playing the game. But that is me trying to find a flaw very carefully. I really urge you to buy this game it is very good buy buy buy
  33. Mar 18, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is every bit as tense, gory, atmospheric and beautifully rendered as the two previous games of the franchise. I found the gameplay very strong with the usual great Dead Space combat mechanics, a great weapon and armor upgrade system and some enjoyable minigames. Watching the story unfold was also griping and, yes, I am a sucker for a love story, even in a space horror game. PC users just need to be careful with the checkpoint system and leave the game when it saves the player's progress. If you don't, you may loose some of your progression. But such a minor annoyance cannot tarnish this awesome game. Expand
  34. Sep 13, 2013
    I am fan of Dead space 1 and Dead space 2.... but also i love even Dead Space 3 why? Maybe its more like action dark thriller then a horror game but Dead space 3 really excel in more things then its predecessors in fact its really cool game.... I passed Dead space 2 recently and comparing to Dead space 3 ist more like corridor stuff, you have no options what to do in the space, just follow the story strong story but little options is the weakest point of Dead space 2 and one of stronger ones in Dead space 3 you have a lot options what to do-> upgrade your suit, assemble weapons, do side missions, or play coop story. Game is twice as longer as Dead space 2 and surely more replayable for both characters in coop. Horror, fear here is weak but still it have something in the air... atmosphere is still good, you really fell that you are saving the universe it really drags you into the story. I know there is a lot angry players that do not like Dead space 3 but true is... I like it even more then Dead space 2. Expand
  35. Apr 27, 2013
    It may not be the best in the series, but it is a perfect ending to the series. Glad to see DS4 get cancelled as this is where the game needed to end. EA's micro transactions can be completely ignored and do not affect the game at all, and even if it is a 3rd person shooter, it was only the next logical step in the series given the games story. Great game, its a do not miss and one of my GOTY contenders. Expand
  36. Apr 21, 2013
    I have scored the previous two Dead Space games a perfect 10 as they are, for me, the benchmark of true horror and action. No game has ever come close to scaring me, depressing me or entertaining me quite like Dead Space (I was hoping Aliens Colonial Marines was a contender).

So, in Dead Space 3, we got more action, more exploration, more weapon options (Oh how I love the weapon
    customisation) and more set pieces. The entire game plays out like a Hollywood summer blockbuster that has you glued from start to finish. I've heard some true fans say the horror is lacking and I will be honest, it is... but this is partly down to the planet environment 50% of the game is set on (no spoilers).

Well, apart from the horror that is lacking, this is still a Dead Space game. The franchise has had to evolve and the horror that I think was so sinister and gruesome in the second could not be differentiated anymore. It is that simple! So, the game had to freshen up others wise, we would be playing Dead Space 2.5. They knew the series in that respect had gone has far as the material would allow so the change in emphases from horror to action was the only alternative and it was a big risk that paid off.

Dead Space 3 requires attention. There are moments of pure silence where you stop and just stare as you float around the destroyed ships and spack stations. These moments are often visited after main missions have been completed and they break up the onslaught of killing enemies. They are needed and they are a great diversion as they offer weapon upgrades, parts, optional missions and even some missions where a coop friend can just jump in for a one off mission. I literally found myself saying "that's a good idea" on more than one occasion and I respect a developer that takes time to offer any kind of replay value with extra missions and looting (provided they don't feel tact on).

All in all, product value; Dead Space 3 took me around 18 hours to complete on medium difficulty. I died a handful of times, completed all optional objectives (the one near the end regarding the expedition dig was amazing and for the optional missions alone I would have paid a DLC fee), and went back for weapon upgrades in hidden and previously locked areas which was worth it. I paid £22.99 for this on release day as it was on sale and it was worth every penny. One day I may even revist this game....
  37. Apr 14, 2013
    Yes, DS has lost that amazing atmosphere of dread that the first two games capitalized on so brilliantly. They could have really turned the atmosphere of this frozen planet idea into some more mysterious and fascinating tapping into our imagination. Yes, the game does start off slow as well and there are a lack of tutorials for the new crafting system which is inexcusable. However stacked against what this game has going for it and other games out there right now a user score of 5.7 out of 10 is ridiculous.

The crafting system is amazing and addictive, it's so much fun experimenting. You know that when you're making a new weapon or tweaking it a few times an hour they did it right. I was skeptical about them adding soldiers to fight with but I really gotta say it's an welcome change of pace. How many hours of necromorphs can we fight without expecting EA to add a different dimension of enemy, I gotta say the soldiers are a welcome addition. EA has fixed some of the frustrating issues plaguing the previous games like making the zero-g space areas easier to navigate and placing more oxygen tanks around just in case. Also universal ammo is a good thing, it would be impossible for the crafting system to work without it.

In closing DS3 is at its core still DS, its lost that atmosphere but lets face it DS1 and DS2 really set the bar at the ceiling. EA has tried its best to add some new vigor into the series while fixing some haunting issues of the predecessors, overall this is still dead space it's not some game we've seen a million iterations of which mean its keeps a special place in my heart as a true DS fan!
  38. Apr 30, 2013
    for me i hate to play solo and i always buy games with coop, there is not a lot of great games out there for coop but dead space 3 is for the win ive played with my friend for 7 hours yesterday and we had so much fun
  39. Aug 21, 2013
    I'm on my third playthrough (first with coop). This game is amazing. I loved the first two and the story/plotline is amazing if you can figure it all out. The coop is an awesome addition and it is really fun with a friend!
  40. May 12, 2013
    Don't get yourself fooled by the bad reviews and the not-scary nonsense. You may miss out on the best game in 2013 so far. I have sunken over 60 hours into it already. The coop part is so addictive.

Why are so many whining over plasma cutter being underpowered? Plasma cutter is still a very good weapon. It needs to modded a bit that’s all. I beat the game on impossible using plasma
    cutter only. I also prefer highly modded bolas gun with racket launcher over over-hyped evangelizer. Expand
  41. Jul 17, 2013
    I played all three Dead Space games. I liked the first and second, and I loved this third Dead Space. The gameplay hasn't changed much from DS2, but I like the way you can make personalized weapons as well as upgrade them. But the main evolution is, in my opinion, the scenario: more action, well-developed characters, et cetera. The whole alien thing was a little disappointing though, and it's a shame that the game is so quick to finish. But in overall, Dead Space 3 is definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Expand
  42. Jun 26, 2013
    The game just pushes the excellent story forward and as such it is just as great as previous ones. It has moments on space ships which are similar to DS1 & DS2 and then it moves the story to the planet's surface. Yes, it is more shooter like then, but as I said, the story defined how it would look like and as such is perfect. The co-op is also brilliant. I liked the previous save system better, during the gameplay you just longed to see the save point and the new auto-save makes it easier and less scary, but anyway this is still Dead Space for me. Expand
  43. Jul 22, 2013
    I went into this game with a lot of trepidation based on the mixed reviews. Love the first two, and while this is short on the horror aspect, it's a fantastic game in its own right. Long, tough and fun throughout.
  44. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game, actually liked it better than the second as they brought boss fights back, and for the most part I felt it had a more suspenseful atmosphere, which number 2 only seemed to have in the church. In addition, the coop adds in tones of reply value, only down side is due to the cool weapon customization system the game can get rather easy; on the flip side if its too easy for you just make your weapons worse and your good to go. Expand
  45. Sep 20, 2013
    No se porqué levantan tanta crítica mala del juego. Es verdad que noto uno que otro bug y algunos pequeños errores de sombras. Pero la jugabilidad es igual de fluida a las anteriores entregas y el toque de acción no le quita nada al género de terror del que sus fans estamos acostumbrados.
    Se nota un trabajo limpio en su desarrollo observando gran dedicación en los detalles. Sus novedades
    aunque son algo atrevidas me gustaron. Su sistema de creación de armas y municiones no van en contra del concepto de survivor, antes logra completar el rol del ingeniero Isaac abriendo muchas opciones para probar nuevas estrategias de combate.
    Los enemigos son despiadados y realmente aterradores sumado a grandes hordas que te atacaran sin descanso, algo que los jugadores de DOOM agradecerán. Los jefes aunque aveces predecibles, son de muy buen diseño.
    La historia cruza por ciertos obstáculos en el trascurso del tiempo, dando una sensación de exceso de explicaciones con demasiados giros, aunque todo al final encajará perfectamente. El planteamiento del romance es algo frío y no se profundiza demasiado. Me hubiera gustado que el triángulo amoroso llevara al jugador en una trama mas compleja y que se involucrara sentimentalmente.
    DEAD SPACE 3 llega para quedarse con una calificación personal de 8.5 totalmente recomendado para comprar y jugar con un excelente cooperativo.
    La calificación de 10 se la doy para dar peso contra las calificaciones malas que tenga este.
  46. Sep 22, 2013
    Well looking at how people have reacted to this game sure makes me realize why the developers of big games like call of duty don't take any risks. I mean really, everyone whines and moans about how call of duty is the same every time, yet take a game like this where they do change it, and rather well in my opinion, and people freak out! Eh, a lot of people just listen to that vocal minority i guess, without even trying the game. I have played it though, and i quite enjoyed it. For anyone thinking of trying this, i can assure, it is still quite a good Dead Space experience. Expand
  47. Oct 12, 2014
    Game companies can't win sometimes, I swear. Had this been a carbon copy of 1 or 2, people would complain about that. Step back and look at Isaac's evolution. He's not an engineer anymore, terrified of taking a single step but logical enough to know he has no choice. He's the most experience necromorph slayer in the universe. Not saying much, but it is what it is. He knows now what has to be done, and he wants this nightmare to end. So yeah, it's not as creepy or terrifying this time because Isaac isn't scared anymore.

These are among the best games I've played in my 25 years of gaming. Great story, great gameplay, scary as my worst nightmare (especially if you max the difficulty), and just so incredibly fun to play. The only reason I'd give this one a 9 is because I do think they could have done a little better with where and when necromorphs attacked, and some of the boss battles were a bit too repetitious for me.
  48. Oct 31, 2013
    Never played the previous dead space games but I enjoyed this one. I find it thrilling, engrossing, and fun. Reminds me of how I felt watching the movie Aliens for the first time back in the 80s. Worth every penny I paid.
  49. Nov 5, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is hands down one of top 5 best games I have ever played. Granted, it is less climatic and scary, probably because the main characters are hardened veterans who know what they are doing.

The coop mode is a golden standard of how cooperation should be implemented in games drop-in/out, covering the entire story and actually adding a decent amount of extra stuff on top of
    that. This game is worth every cent just for the incredible cooperative mode which, when played with a right partner, can easily provide you a hundred hours of game time. Expand
  50. Nov 10, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game. At first I found that its new weapons system very tedious and complicated, but once I found my way past that I really began to enjoy myself more. I really did like the fact that I no longer had to purchase suits like in previous games; as often they were stupidly expensive, and in the long term would often get you killed just because they sent you broke. The whole experience revolves around flexibility and customization. I'll admit that personally I enjoyed the plot line, but I see why people didn't like it as much, as it can be a bit unengaging.

I haven't managed to play too much of the co-op missions, but from what I can tell so far by it is that it really brings a new experience to the table. But for those just looking for the "classic" dead space feel, this game really delivers, with fast paced action scenes, a whole new array of enemies to fight, and with this new customized weapons system a whole new level of strategy in order to survive.

I really enjoyed the additional missions which they added as an option. You really get to explore the world left behind by the previous human that were here on the planet and dive right into other narratives, whilst also picking up a new set of incredibly valuable parts for later constructions.

If you played the previous games, and are looking for another thrilling experience, this is definitely a must.
  51. Jun 3, 2014
    This game is awesome, no question. Just get the game, even though the story and fear should have been better, but the gameplay beats all the dead space games.
  52. Jun 27, 2014
    You face the necromorphs once again, this time you go to them, prepared, with a team, you discover the fascinating story of others before you who tried to stop the necromorphs, you get deeper into the ancient ruins of Tau Volantis, there is less "survival" and more "action" but that is what common sense dictates, we humans learn, adapt and evolve, its obvious that the Isaac Clarke from DS3 is not the same man from DS1 he is now an experienced hardened veteran.

DS1 Zealots will whine and whine about the game being too "action oriented" but it is indeed fun, and still scary and atmospheric.

1. Jun 10, 2013
    Its emphasis on the action element might be a nuisance to some of the franchise’s fans, but the game’s production values in every aspect will reward even the most doubtful gamer. [March 2013]
  2. Mar 30, 2013
    Dead Space 3 brings refreshing gameplay options without sacrificing the gritty, believable universe, but scares are few and far between. [Apr 2013, p.92]
  3. Feb 28, 2013
    Finishing a trilogy was always going to need bigger explosions and greater stakes – unfortunately this has come at the sacrifice of true horror.