7.9

1. May 7, 2011
    Oh my god, bought this on £4 special on steam and now wonder why.

Yes the graphics are good but oh the controls just seem weird. I can't play Halo:Reach on an XBOX as the way the controls work are just too weird for me, these seem much the same, it reminds me of Tomb Raider:The Angel of Darkness and Resident Evil 4 were the control system gets in the way of a good game.
    I
    have turned down mouse sensitivity from the default and it is a little more manageable but the whole interface is odd and awkward. You have to go up very close to stuff before you can select it rather than get in the general vicinity and be looking at it, the screen that springs up to tell you what to do is irritating and gets in the way, this is classic example of a TPS designed for consoles that really doesn't port well to a PC. If there just the option to go in to first person view rather than have a character that block 1/3 of the screen it would be 100% better.

Overall there is a good game trying to get out of here but there is too much detritus in the way.
  2. Jan 6, 2011
    This game contains a critical failure bug if you use a USB mouse interface with your keyboard, which most people do. The POV camera will spin wildly, and out of control, making gameplay absolutely impossible. The issue was identified in 2009, and HAS STILL NOT BEEN PATCHED. Do NOT purchase this game, or you'll find yourself where I am, with a 13GB, $20 cutscene. Here is a link to the EA forums, where they admit to the problem WHICH STILL HAS NOT BEEN FIXED:

3. Jul 21, 2011
    Horrible waste of money and time. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME FOR PC. EA did a horrible horrible job porting this to the PC. I'm pretty sure trained monkeys could have done a better job. First off, I hope you enjoy mouse lag, turning off vsync helps but does not remove it. Second half of the menus are off the screen no matter what you do. Third the character spins to the left if you use a USB keyboard and Mouse. This game is far to buggy from the get go and after 30 minutes of trying to fix the issues I gave up and demanded a refund from steam. Trust me, don't waste your time on this one. Expand
  4. Dec 14, 2012
    The scariest thing about this game are the controls. You hear a monster approaching and need about 10 seconds to scan the area around you, because it's just not possible to move the mouse at a decent speed.

Even with "fixes" like upping the mouse sensivity and disabling Vsync, it's basically unplayable. I bought this for 3$ on Steam sale and yet I feel robbed by Visceral Games and EA
    (once again), especially because any half decent developer/publisher who care about their customers would have this fixed asap. Expand
  5. Jul 11, 2013
    I have had farts that were scarier, had explosive diarrhea that was easier to control, and have worn welding goggles that made it easier to see than the utterly worthless camera in this game. I have also heard rants by insane, homeless bums that made more sense than the story and monsters in this piece of garbage. I have heard over and over that this game is "Resident Evil in space!" and now I know that there was a reason behind my avoidance of Resident Evil my whole life. This game is more like the Resident Evil in my couch: every time I sit down to play it, I immediately regret it, my eyes start to water, I start swearing, and I want to run from the room to escape the stench of this humongous pile of reeking feces. Expand
  6. Jul 9, 2011
    I consider this game to be unplayable. You basically can't see anything because of the ridiculous FOV setting and the fact that the camera is so uselessly placed that the character obstructs half the screen. Also the view controls are sluggish and unintuitive. Maybe this game is better on a console and it's just a bad port. In any case on the PC it's horrible. Avoid it.
  7. May 12, 2011
    Game still has a bug in it that makes game play with vsync on impossible. So, if you have a modern computer with an HD monitor, you play with screen tearing or force it through your video card. I despise bugs, this one is big. Also, the mouse controls are horrid making controlling your character very difficult and when you find a setting that works in game the cursor moves much too fast to navigate menu's. Terrible console port, terrible job. Expand
  8. Jan 31, 2013
    I am boggled at how this game has been praised by so many with such a high score. The controls is a gigantic turd. It didn't seem to be very intriguing story wise. I read about dead space, watched a anime on it and thought it was a neat idea, but the game just feels like it wasn't even trying. It was the same "scare" tactic used way too many times. "Oh look, a alien/creature, I wonder if it will get up once I walk by. Oh there is a vent too, wonder if I should worry." It was repetitive after the first 30mins of play. It also expects you to feel something about the guy you are supposedly running around as. There was no build up to he background, just a picture and a ship log? Something bad happened? You walk into a room on the "problem" ship with 2-8 people that are armed, and you are doing something that happened to corner you off from them and they all die(except for 2 people), but you are to do better and somehow survive with primitive tools compared to them? Why is he still alive after that? The aliens/creatures feel bad for him? What kind of crap story is this so far? The whole room was killed off except for 2 people and you. After that and trying to give it a shot still I just stopped. I bought a bundle pack and have both ds1 and 2 but didn't even try 2. Compared to other games this one doesn't shine at all. The only thing scary about this game is the amount of praise it gets. Expand
  9. May 24, 2013
    Unplayable on PC in my opinion. The camera is really akward, it makes the game very unpleasant to play. It's very difficult to aim properly, frustrating.

I can't believe it's a 2008 game, looks like a 1999 game, terrible graphics. I have a i7, 8GB RAM, Nvidia 560GTx, etc, no it's not performance issues, the game really sucks.
  10. Mar 13, 2011
    POS Port. I found the controls unplayable on the PC, which prevented me from going any further than 10 minutes into the story line, which didn't seem to have much depth. Waste of 10 bucks.

Consoles are killing the PC gaming industry with flub like this...
  11. Oct 9, 2011
    The PC version is unplayable. First, moving the mouse around in the menu is so floaty, it takes effort just to click on a menu button. Second, you cannot change the controls to arrow keys, a necessary task if you're a lefty. So, I had to close down the game, download a modified control scheme that allows lefties to play. Bad start, but I've dealt with worse.
    Loading up the game, the
    controls are so god awful floaty that it takes 2-3 seconds to turn around with mouselook, even with sensitivity maxed. I have never experienced such a system in many years of gaming. Apparently the designers stated that you have to use a gamepad to play, eliminating any of the benefit of having the game for PC.
    If I wanted a console FPS gaming experience, I'd buy the game for the PS3. But I like having actual control over my actions with a keyboard and mouse, so I don't.

Without a doubt, my last Visceral Games purchase ever. I wish I could get my money back.
  12. Mar 12, 2012
    Scary as hell when you cant see anything because character fills half of the screen. Turning and moving around is slow and controls suck big time. I know its wrong to give points without playing the game through but for me game was unplayable and that gives me reason to say what I think in here.
  13. May 25, 2012
    I picked this up ages ago on a steam sale after checking the reviews here. Naturally in my enthusiasm for a bargain I ignored the negative comments. It couldn't be that bad, these people are just whingers I thought. What a fool I was. Just in case it's popped up again for $5 and you're wondering if its worth a cup of coffee, listen to the poor reviews. Yes, this game is aesthetically nice but the fact is the controls are teeth jarringly bad even with a lot of tweaking and the perspective is obstructive. You'll discover what a horrible mistake you made literally within 30 seconds of installation. Expand
  14. Jul 29, 2013
    An unplayable game on PC because of the awkward camera controls. It's clumsy and frustrating to move around, and very hard to aim at enemies. A bad port to PC from consoles, stay away.
  15. Oct 14, 2013
    Worst PC port I've ever attempted to play. Mouse acceleration is awful, so gamepad is basically forced. But in-game v-sync causes the game to run awful, and disabling it causes screen tearing. Using my ATI's software to force v-sync and triple buffering fixes the graphics issues, but creates a bug that prevents me from going through a specific door that's required to progress the game. Google searching for fixes pretty much has run me into a dead end.

After wrestling with the game for 30 minutes, I'm giving up. It's just not worth my time.
  16. Dec 28, 2013
    Unplayable due to bad controls. I can't even begin to explain how f*cked up the mouse movement is. It's either so slow that you can hardly shoot at enemies before they kill you, or so fast that you spin around three times. I tried several fixes and then just gave up.

The moral here is not to pay money for E.A. games, even if it's only 3$.
  17. Mar 18, 2014
    There's some promise to this but on PC the controls are too annoying to be playable. It's also not scary at all, not sure who really found this scary. The challenge is turning your big, clumsy protagonist in the right direction in time, nothing more. The game is way too linear and the encounters are too predictable. It could probably have been good but it ends up being a much worse copy of Doom3.
  18. Vex
    Sep 15, 2013
    I have to say I am puzzled as to how this game has managed to amass such good reviews. The controls suck (even with a controller), the story is non-existent, the level design is bland and crappy and overall the game is extremely repetitive and predictable. Despite what everyone is saying, there was absolutely nothing scary about this game. Monsters always tend to appear in the most predictable places and the game relies on cheap jump scares vs. instilling a real sense of terror. After half an hour of gameplay the game just ends up being boring, tedious and repetitive. It is obvious that the game caters to the lowest common denominator and if you're not a console owner and if you're over 15, do yourself a favor and skip this turd. Expand
  19. Nov 8, 2013
    I have started playing this game because of some friends that kept praising it, despite the fact that I had already tried once before and got away from it in the first 5 minutes due to the horrid controls and the camera POV which really sucks.
    Now, plenty of people that gave lower marks here can agree with me that the controls are totally horrible. The camera angle is also a handicap for
    the player, and if I hate something, it's games that are difficult because they handicap the player, thus cheating in a way, and not because there are better or stronger enemies, which would be normal.
    On Easy I felt like Doom 3 on normal. The controls contributed to that and the camera's 3rd person POV shoulder cam instead of GTA/Max Payne/Tomb Raider style 3rd person gameplay, which I love.
    As for the story, it's sort of like a B-movie which has the action stretched on over 9 hours. That's how long it took, 9 hours on easy. I wouldn't complain if they wouldn't have stretched it so much. Every time you completed a mission and were suddenly one step ahead BANG life support is off, or hull is breached, or your cat died. Something like that.
    And the ending was again stretched too much, just to create something difficult for the player, and delay the inevitable (which was using Cheat Engine to add ammo so that I never run out, frak the devs!). I kept finding credits, and stasis modules, and also those tiny microprocessors or power nodes, all of those being useless in the final level, where you don't have a store anymore to exchange them for money and then ammunition. Highly illogical and again a cheat from the AI/devs part.

The only really positive side was the upgrade system for the armor, and maybe the environments.

Also, this game is advertised as horror SF. It's not. It's just a bad SF, nothing horror besides some weird looking mutants.

If you want a good SF horror, play DOOM 3 or any Alien versus Predator game. Hell, play Doom 1 and 2, they're a thousand times better than Dead Space. Another good option would be F.E.A.R. 1 and 2, which are really good in the horror shooter part. As for a good SF, try Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Star Wars Kotor or Mass Effect. They're not all shooters (the last two are RPGs), but they're much better. Just don't touch this thing, please, you will lose at least 9 hours in which you could have played Call of Duty.

Yes, even Call of Duty, aka FIFA with guns (because it has a new instance each year) is better than this. And I haven't played Call of Duty since the 3rd Modern Warfare...
  20. Apr 1, 2014
    Poor pc port. Vsynch on makes it unplayable with lag and all, and Vsynch of gives a framerate so high that the game bugs down to the point where you cannot get through a door. Issues that are by all means possible to fix for yourself, but the very fact that the developers themselves shipped the game this way and didn't fix it it not acceptable.
  21. Jan 16, 2014
    **** impossible i walk into a room and all the sudden 6 **** alieans spawn and i have no ammo so i cant get past a certain mission this game is incredibly overrated and overhyped it is terrible. terrible gameplay terrible srry ass story seriously **** this game
  22. Dec 10, 2013
    The game is broken. Few hours into the game you will encouter a gamebreaker that is still not fixed so save your money for something else. That is if you manage at all to get that far cause the game glitches like crazy. Cant believe this kind of ***t can be even released at all but there you go. Stay. Away.
  23. Feb 9, 2014
    Not a fan of horror when the main focus of the aspect is random things popping up with ear-screeching music. Also not a fan of the shallowness of the main character. He could've been a robot with how cold his character was (except for the incredibly passionate foot stomp). The story? Eh. I started making up my own story. In mine, I was an alien exterminator hired to rid the ship of a pesky infestation with annoying clients that kept making me go above and beyond my duties with tasks they were to lazy to complete themselves. I know many love the game, but it's definitely not for me. Oh, and the port was horribly done, especially the keyboard and mouse controls. There were times where I had to hit the reload button several times to get the action going...even while standing around and doing absolutely nothing but hitting reload. Which brings me to another point, the reloading time (after dying) was horrendous! Made me play more carefully not because I wanted to avoid dying, but because I didn't want to wait for the full minute it takes to reload after. And yes, my computer goes above and beyond the requirements so certainly not the issue (many others have discussed this).

Certainly better games out there that are worth 14-18 hours of time investment.
  24. Apr 23, 2014
    It's really hard to complain about a game that I got as a giveaway from Origin. Now I know why they are giving it away - it's a really bad console port. Aside from the horrible controls and mouse sensitivity, I got stuck at the 3rd door at the game because of a gamebreaking bug. Too bad, it just seems like a decent game if not for the downsides already pointed out. I won't bother wasting my time on it. Uninstalled. Expand
  25. May 29, 2014
    The most boring and slow start I've seen in a game like this. The controls and movement and story are so clunky and slow. The presentation, how the game starts, is alone appalling enough to stop me playing. Avoid unless you have incredible patience. Unless you're prepared to sift through some really boring gameplay (if you can call it that) and what seems to be a very poorly presented story, go ahead. But it's such a grind. I don't get how people have the patience to sit through such boring intros. Expand
  26. Jun 11, 2014
    It was a good game... right up until it became impossible to beat. I got stuck near the end of the game because I literally had no more ammo. There was no where for me to buy more nor did enemies drop enough in order for me to be able to kill them. It's a great game I just wish it was fair. I could beat it if it were a little more generous with the ammo drops and store prices. I want to beat it on a reasonable difficulty but it seems that there are only two: cupcake easy and supreme rage quit difficult. I can't even buy a new gun because even if I could I wouldn't have enough money to buy enough ammo for it and like I said before the game has an ammo drought. After about the 50th attempt at the same room I am done.

On a different note, the graphics are good but the view is terrible and the sensitivity seems to have a mind of its own as with the difficulty. it is either constipated slow or like a chipmunk on crack. The story is good, some of the gameplay elements are cool, and the scares are great as well but that's about it as far as what's good about it.

If you can beat or have beaten the game then I commend you and I hope you liked it. It just annoys me to no end that a game would be able to set itself up to a point where it can be impossible to beat. If the devs had any brains at all the game would at least allow for ammo to drop for the gun that I have and not useless crap that I can't even use. If I wanted to play a game that was so unforgiving then I would play Dark Souls because at least that game is designed with the difficulty in mind and is at least beatable.

1. This is a highly recommended game for science fiction and survival horror fans, with its claustrophobic atmosphere and horrible creatures.
  2. Overall, Dead Space is an extraordinary game with tons of shock value and action to whet any fan's appetite for some time, and with a campaign that lasts a steady 10-12 hours, that’s plenty of time to get lost aboard the Ishimura.
  3. Dead Space is a potentially great game that's hamstrung by an attempt to completely ape a console controller with a mouse and keyboard. [Dec 2008, p.58]