Dead Space PC

8.0

1. Oct 21, 2011
    A triumph of style and gimmicks over substance. There is not much going on here except for shooting monsters repeatedly. An overly generous person would call both the setting and the storyline minimal, that same person would call it predictable and sometimes a little bit scary. Having said that, some of the weapons are good, some of the gimmicks keep you interested and you do actually wantA triumph of style and gimmicks over substance. There is not much going on here except for shooting monsters repeatedly. An overly generous person would call both the setting and the storyline minimal, that same person would call it predictable and sometimes a little bit scary. Having said that, some of the weapons are good, some of the gimmicks keep you interested and you do actually want to escape the damn place. So I managed to finish it and just about got my money's worth. I cannot envisage a scenario whereby I'd ever play it again and would only recommend it to horror maniacs who have no more than £10 to spare and nothing better to do. Expand
  2. May 8, 2011
    This game is neither good nor is it bad. It has some fun elements but allot of flaws. For being a Survival Horror TPS game it's not hard to survive (even on the hardest difficulty) and it's far from a Horror. Today's standard of horror is doom 3 and that is why all horror game suck in that matter. When playing through it I constantly ran and never got surprised since a game with brightThis game is neither good nor is it bad. It has some fun elements but allot of flaws. For being a Survival Horror TPS game it's not hard to survive (even on the hardest difficulty) and it's far from a Horror. Today's standard of horror is doom 3 and that is why all horror game suck in that matter. When playing through it I constantly ran and never got surprised since a game with bright lighted rooms and a BFG and monsters who can't take **** for beeting kinda takes away all horror. See it like this, I would be scared ****less if I was put in a cage with a starving lion without any means of defence. But if you put me in the same cage, put me in a Metal armor suit, hand me a mini-gun and heavily sedate the lion it's suddenly not scary anymore.... Dead space is the later example. The transition from Console to PC when it comes to controls are HORRID. Worst mouse movement I have ever encountered in a TPS game, apart from that it's a rather nice game in it's own way. I would not say it's a waste playing it. But borrow it from a friend of buy it cheap cause anything more then 5-10 $ and it's a bad deal. Expand
  3. Jan 20, 2012
    I enjoyed this game but not all the gore - too much graphic violence. There were no nice rest periods much to contrast with sudden terror and so wasn't actually as scary as it could have been. Given almost constant terror and you get almost used to it...not as good as System Shock 2 which it copied many ideas from, from the level names, to limited ammo, sci abilities, purchase booths,I enjoyed this game but not all the gore - too much graphic violence. There were no nice rest periods much to contrast with sudden terror and so wasn't actually as scary as it could have been. Given almost constant terror and you get almost used to it...not as good as System Shock 2 which it copied many ideas from, from the level names, to limited ammo, sci abilities, purchase booths, weapon slots and upgrade choices etc etc. They should have had more normal looking areas to contrast with other places covered with blood and guts. Come on, we are not all bloodthirsty animals here..bit over the top for violence but nonetheless well designed and still entertaining. The biggest flaw I felt was the total linear gameplay when given a choice of open tasks and ability to travel freely around levels would have been far better. That bird crumb direction indicator made it too easy actually and should have been some level of respawning to keep it interesting - ie like System Shock 2. Also I didnt appreciate the crap controls with PC on the keyboard - really sucked but with saying all that was worth 75% in my mind. If you dont like too much violence or gore then give it a miss. Expand
  4. Mar 18, 2012
    Dead Space was really one of the best games that survivor horror that i have played in my life, and a game where you have things that you do not hold and scenes extremely macabre, where is completely player, incredible graphics and the gameplay too, I recommend.
  5. Nov 13, 2012
    The most terrifying video game I have ever played. Eventually, you figure out the rhythm of when terrors will appear, but by this point the game has ramped up the difficulty, keeping the challenge high. The quests are fairly repetitive (go here, acquire item, return, repeat), but the engagements are dynamic and the character acting is great, which keeps the game from getting dull. The RPGThe most terrifying video game I have ever played. Eventually, you figure out the rhythm of when terrors will appear, but by this point the game has ramped up the difficulty, keeping the challenge high. The quests are fairly repetitive (go here, acquire item, return, repeat), but the engagements are dynamic and the character acting is great, which keeps the game from getting dull. The RPG elements of upgrading your suit and guns are fantastic because it emphasizes your specific playstyle. The only downside is that certain guns are more useful in situations than others, which means that you're pigeon-holed into always carrying certain weapons that you might not want to use (e.g. I can't find a way to efficiently defeat guardians without using the saw cutter, but I hate that gun in all other cases). Also, this game has a lot of gore- do not play in front of a sensitive crowd. People talk about the horrid controls, but I don't know what their problem is- I feel like any inefficiencies in controlling Isaac can be attributed to the fact that you are controlling an engineer, not a soldier- he's not going to be trained to perform perfectly in combat. That's the feeling I got from the controls. Other than that, this game has become one of my all-time favorites. Expand
  6. Mar 31, 2014
    Let’s get straight to the point, Dead Space is NOT a good PC port. It suffers from all the symptoms: Low rez textures, Low FOV, frame cap at 30 fps (with v-sync on) and terrible….TERRIBLE controls.
    The Mouse and keyboard controls are half broken: The mouse in particular, if you enable v-sync the mouse will become extremely unresponsive and laggy. However, If you disable v-sync, and crank up the mouse sensitivity and mouse DPI to the max, you might end up with half usable controls, but the caveat is, a bit of screen tearing. But even if you do that, the mouse will still behave in a sluggish manner, especially when switching to aim mode.
    The keyboard controls aren’t better also, sometimes the game will dismiss key inputs for no apparent reason, and the keymaping is also badly conceived.
    In resume, if you don’t have a gamepad, prepare to die… a lot, especially on the Boss fights, or when the game decides to throw hordes of necromorfs, at you, from all sides!
    Don’t get me wrong, this game is NOT difficult, not even on hard mode, what makes it difficult is the terrible controls.
    The other thing about this game is that it’s not a real survival/horror game, It tries to, really hard actually, but the problem is, survival horror is not about jump scares, but about building tension, and playing with your expectation. And this game rarely does that successfully; it overuses jumps scares too much, it’s too predictable at times and a bit cheesy in the gore department, and in the survival department, let’s just say you will rarely die from lack of ammo or med packs.
    However, Visceral did one thing really well: the sound design.
    The Story, is a Cross between Aliens and Resident Evil, in other words, a System Shock clone but without SHODAN :-(. The Story is not bad, but it’s a bit too cliché for my taste.
    The game is also a bit buggy, for example if you play on hard mode and reload a save by pressing continue on the main menu, the game will reset the difficulty to medium.
    So, is it a bad game? In my opinion, If you approach it like an Action/Horror third person shooter game, HELL NO, just don’t play it with mouse and keyboard.
  7. Jan 16, 2014
    **** impossible i walk into a room and all the sudden 6 **** alieans spawn and i have no ammo so i cant get past a certain mission this game is incredibly overrated and overhyped it is terrible. terrible gameplay terrible srry ass story seriously **** this game
  8. Jan 6, 2011
    This game contains a critical failure bug if you use a USB mouse interface with your keyboard, which most people do. The POV camera will spin wildly, and out of control, making gameplay absolutely impossible. The issue was identified in 2009, and HAS STILL NOT BEEN PATCHED. Do NOT purchase this game, or you'll find yourself where I am, with a 13GB, $20 cutscene. Here is a link to theThis game contains a critical failure bug if you use a USB mouse interface with your keyboard, which most people do. The POV camera will spin wildly, and out of control, making gameplay absolutely impossible. The issue was identified in 2009, and HAS STILL NOT BEEN PATCHED. Do NOT purchase this game, or you'll find yourself where I am, with a 13GB, $20 cutscene. Here is a link to the EA forums, where they admit to the problem WHICH STILL HAS NOT BEEN FIXED:

9. Jul 21, 2011
    Horrible waste of money and time. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME FOR PC. EA did a horrible horrible job porting this to the PC. I'm pretty sure trained monkeys could have done a better job. First off, I hope you enjoy mouse lag, turning off vsync helps but does not remove it. Second half of the menus are off the screen no matter what you do. Third the character spins to the left if you use a USBHorrible waste of money and time. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME FOR PC. EA did a horrible horrible job porting this to the PC. I'm pretty sure trained monkeys could have done a better job. First off, I hope you enjoy mouse lag, turning off vsync helps but does not remove it. Second half of the menus are off the screen no matter what you do. Third the character spins to the left if you use a USB keyboard and Mouse. This game is far to buggy from the get go and after 30 minutes of trying to fix the issues I gave up and demanded a refund from steam. Trust me, don't waste your time on this one. Expand
  10. Dec 14, 2012
    The scariest thing about this game are the controls. You hear a monster approaching and need about 10 seconds to scan the area around you, because it's just not possible to move the mouse at a decent speed.

Even with "fixes" like upping the mouse sensivity and disabling Vsync, it's basically unplayable. I bought this for 3$ on Steam sale and yet I feel robbed by Visceral Games and EA (once again), especially because any half decent developer/publisher who care about their customers would have this fixed asap.
  11. Jul 9, 2011
    I consider this game to be unplayable. You basically can't see anything because of the ridiculous FOV setting and the fact that the camera is so uselessly placed that the character obstructs half the screen. Also the view controls are sluggish and unintuitive. Maybe this game is better on a console and it's just a bad port. In any case on the PC it's horrible. Avoid it.
  12. May 7, 2011
    Oh my god, bought this on £4 special on steam and now wonder why.

Yes the graphics are good but oh the controls just seem weird. I can't play Halo:Reach on an XBOX as the way the controls work are just too weird for me, these seem much the same, it reminds me of Tomb Raider:The Angel of Darkness and Resident Evil 4 were the control system gets in the way of a good game. I
    Oh my god, bought this on £4 special on steam and now wonder why.

I have turned down mouse sensitivity from the default and it is a little more manageable but the whole interface is odd and awkward. You have to go up very close to stuff before you can select it rather than get in the general vicinity and be looking at it, the screen that springs up to tell you what to do is irritating and gets in the way, this is classic example of a TPS designed for consoles that really doesn't port well to a PC. If there just the option to go in to first person view rather than have a character that block 1/3 of the screen it would be 100% better.

Overall there is a good game trying to get out of here but there is too much detritus in the way.
  13. Oct 9, 2011
    The PC version is unplayable. First, moving the mouse around in the menu is so floaty, it takes effort just to click on a menu button. Second, you cannot change the controls to arrow keys, a necessary task if you're a lefty. So, I had to close down the game, download a modified control scheme that allows lefties to play. Bad start, but I've dealt with worse.
    Loading up the game, the
    Loading up the game, the controls are so god awful floaty that it takes 2-3 seconds to turn around with mouselook, even with sensitivity maxed. I have never experienced such a system in many years of gaming. Apparently the designers stated that you have to use a gamepad to play, eliminating any of the benefit of having the game for PC.
    If I wanted a console FPS gaming experience, I'd buy the game for the PS3. But I like having actual control over my actions with a keyboard and mouse, so I don't.

Without a doubt, my last Visceral Games purchase ever. I wish I could get my money back.
  14. Mar 12, 2012
    Scary as hell when you cant see anything because character fills half of the screen. Turning and moving around is slow and controls suck big time. I know its wrong to give points without playing the game through but for me game was unplayable and that gives me reason to say what I think in here.
  15. LukeW
    Jan 27, 2009
    I've asked my friends who have played it on the console and they all said they loved it, so I'm guessing it's either just me, or this is another horrible PC port. Absolutely horrid controls. I had the same issue as Bryan in that the mouse had some really weird movement issues (like faster x than y movement). I immediately noted that I did not like TPS games, and I tried to I've asked my friends who have played it on the console and they all said they loved it, so I'm guessing it's either just me, or this is another horrible PC port. Absolutely horrid controls. I had the same issue as Bryan in that the mouse had some really weird movement issues (like faster x than y movement). I immediately noted that I did not like TPS games, and I tried to make the best of it, but within 15 minutes of installing the game I was swearing a lot more than I usually do. Controls and camera are awkward as hell. If you can manage to walk somewhere without your blood pressure rising from frustration (not fear, because this is well before the first monster) then you are a more patient man than I. Good graphics, but then again you do have a giant space suit taking up 1/3-1/2 of your screen. Wait for this (typical) EA garbage to go to the bargain bin. Expand
  16. gwarbob
    Oct 27, 2008
    Literally Unplayable. The PC controlls are hideous. The mouse control in the menus is so bad I gave up trying to rebind the keys in frustration. After half an hour of trying to play this i finally uninstalled the game. The controlls would be barable for turn based combat, for an fps/tps this is a joke. Unplayable. Worse than Scarface.
  17. May 25, 2012
    I picked this up ages ago on a steam sale after checking the reviews here. Naturally in my enthusiasm for a bargain I ignored the negative comments. It couldn't be that bad, these people are just whingers I thought. What a fool I was. Just in case it's popped up again for $5 and you're wondering if its worth a cup of coffee, listen to the poor reviews. Yes, this game is aesthetically niceI picked this up ages ago on a steam sale after checking the reviews here. Naturally in my enthusiasm for a bargain I ignored the negative comments. It couldn't be that bad, these people are just whingers I thought. What a fool I was. Just in case it's popped up again for $5 and you're wondering if its worth a cup of coffee, listen to the poor reviews. Yes, this game is aesthetically nice but the fact is the controls are teeth jarringly bad even with a lot of tweaking and the perspective is obstructive. You'll discover what a horrible mistake you made literally within 30 seconds of installation. Expand
  18. EarthtoEA
    Nov 15, 2009
    I would rate this game a negative if I could. It's an FPS without the FP or the S, and a horrible, inavigable, unintuitive, unplayable console port, with draconian DRM to boot. Not that the 3-install limit will matter to you after you gouge your eyes out and uninstall the game to stop the searing pain of trying to play it, but you won't even be able to return it for your money I would rate this game a negative if I could. It's an FPS without the FP or the S, and a horrible, inavigable, unintuitive, unplayable console port, with draconian DRM to boot. Not that the 3-install limit will matter to you after you gouge your eyes out and uninstall the game to stop the searing pain of trying to play it, but you won't even be able to return it for your money back. I had the headache and nausea I typically get after suffering through a 12+ hour nonstop HL2 marathon on maximum volume, a mere five minutes into this game. I had to go outside and get a breath of fresh air before the ten minute mark. I uninstalled it when I got back. As a long-time PC gamer who actually enjoys atmospheric horror games like Doom 3, I found this game unforgivably insufferable. Can't return it due to SecuROM. Will burn in the fire pit instead. Expand
  19. Vex
    Sep 15, 2013
    I have to say I am puzzled as to how this game has managed to amass such good reviews. The controls suck (even with a controller), the story is non-existent, the level design is bland and crappy and overall the game is extremely repetitive and predictable. Despite what everyone is saying, there was absolutely nothing scary about this game. Monsters always tend to appear in the mostI have to say I am puzzled as to how this game has managed to amass such good reviews. The controls suck (even with a controller), the story is non-existent, the level design is bland and crappy and overall the game is extremely repetitive and predictable. Despite what everyone is saying, there was absolutely nothing scary about this game. Monsters always tend to appear in the most predictable places and the game relies on cheap jump scares vs. instilling a real sense of terror. After half an hour of gameplay the game just ends up being boring, tedious and repetitive. It is obvious that the game caters to the lowest common denominator and if you're not a console owner and if you're over 15, do yourself a favor and skip this turd. Expand
  20. May 12, 2011
    Game still has a bug in it that makes game play with vsync on impossible. So, if you have a modern computer with an HD monitor, you play with screen tearing or force it through your video card. I despise bugs, this one is big. Also, the mouse controls are horrid making controlling your character very difficult and when you find a setting that works in game the cursor moves much too fastGame still has a bug in it that makes game play with vsync on impossible. So, if you have a modern computer with an HD monitor, you play with screen tearing or force it through your video card. I despise bugs, this one is big. Also, the mouse controls are horrid making controlling your character very difficult and when you find a setting that works in game the cursor moves much too fast to navigate menu's. Terrible console port, terrible job. Expand
  21. NormanH.
    Dec 10, 2008
    I had high hopes for this game. I got it for the PC. The thing is unplayable. The mouse drifts like crazy and the controls are if you plan to use the tried and true mouse + keyboard setup. After only 15 minutes of playing I was so frustrated I uninstalled the thing and threw it away. If you are a PC gamer avoid this game like the friggen plague. EA seemed to go out of their way to ruin I had high hopes for this game. I got it for the PC. The thing is unplayable. The mouse drifts like crazy and the controls are if you plan to use the tried and true mouse + keyboard setup. After only 15 minutes of playing I was so frustrated I uninstalled the thing and threw it away. If you are a PC gamer avoid this game like the friggen plague. EA seemed to go out of their way to ruin the PC port of this game. Expand
  22. Ikimono
    Feb 27, 2009
    Extremely repetitive gameplay, extremely predictable monster points, and very bad controls for both the Xbox Version and the PC version (I played the Xbox and then played a friends copy on PC.) Half of the levels are straight out of Doom3 with the veins on the walls and corpses integrated into them. Several monsters are taken from the Alien series. The game was in no way scary and just Extremely repetitive gameplay, extremely predictable monster points, and very bad controls for both the Xbox Version and the PC version (I played the Xbox and then played a friends copy on PC.) Half of the levels are straight out of Doom3 with the veins on the walls and corpses integrated into them. Several monsters are taken from the Alien series. The game was in no way scary and just felt stale, the very bad camera position not helping at all. They did do an okay job with sound though. That gets them 1 point. Expand
  23. nickp
    May 22, 2009
    Hey come on ! EA Be honest , this games cannot be played on a pc . 30$ down the drain . the main caracter take up all the screen surface ( i could not believe it , you cant see a thing , the control of the caracter is ridiculous wasd like in the stone age of computer games . Not only that but the mouse as clearly a very big problem . i cannot beleive this was released in 2009 ( control Hey come on ! EA Be honest , this games cannot be played on a pc . 30$ down the drain . the main caracter take up all the screen surface ( i could not believe it , you cant see a thing , the control of the caracter is ridiculous wasd like in the stone age of computer games . Not only that but the mouse as clearly a very big problem . i cannot beleive this was released in 2009 ( control over the caracter in half life is was so simple , right mouse walk left mouse shoot ) Is this a joke? . The games seem fun but was clearly not ment to be played on a pc . Dont buy !!! beware , we are in 2009 EA the mouse is the best way to control a caracter . I should always take the worste opignion of the users review they are generaly not far from the truth. Expand
  24. BryanT.
    Dec 4, 2008
    I played the game for an hour. As soon as I saw that the game was 3rd person, I knew it was gonna be a failure. The only thing 3rd person does for a game is kill the realism and cut your viewing area in half. When I was able to move around the game got much worse. Picture Resident Evil 4, but with more sluggish controls. If it wasn't for the slow-mo ability you get, you would never I played the game for an hour. As soon as I saw that the game was 3rd person, I knew it was gonna be a failure. The only thing 3rd person does for a game is kill the realism and cut your viewing area in half. When I was able to move around the game got much worse. Picture Resident Evil 4, but with more sluggish controls. If it wasn't for the slow-mo ability you get, you would never be able to shoot the legs and arms off of the enemies like you need to. Don't even bother shooting them in the chest. You will instantly realize how bad the control is as soon as you load up the game and try to navigate the mouse on the menu screen. The only pro I can see with this game is the graphics and the engine it uses. Not sure which engine it is, but it runs smooth with high resolution just like Call of Duty 4 did. I don't know about you, but I wanna be able to aim AND side step at the same time. This same problem ruined Resident Evil 4 for me. That was a perfect game aside the controls. Trust me when I say, this game is not fun to play. 3 is given since it's 'playable'. Expand
  25. MarcC
    Jun 13, 2009
    This is a waste of time and money. Its bad enough that metascore give it a 86. If you like that you should try to play other games druken, its the same feelin. The smooth and soft mouse-control sucks the last bit of fun out of this... Game... and the 3.-Person view is nothing i need for a shooter. Again a EA-Fail.
  26. May 19, 2014
    dead space is someimes good, but sometimes its pretty boring. when everything works, its a good game. the game has great atmosphere. the graphics are great, especially smoke effects and lighting.the guns are cool, and the enviroments are pretty varied. the guns are also really cool and unique. the game has some great scares. the story is passable. near the end it got a bit interesting butdead space is someimes good, but sometimes its pretty boring. when everything works, its a good game. the game has great atmosphere. the graphics are great, especially smoke effects and lighting.the guns are cool, and the enviroments are pretty varied. the guns are also really cool and unique. the game has some great scares. the story is passable. near the end it got a bit interesting but before that it was boring. characters are pretty boring as well. the objectives are horrible and boring. most of them are just annoying "push a button" or "go there and push a button" missions. your character just does the work for everyone. the game has A LOT of backtracking. it gets annoying going back all the time. the pc port is horrible. the menu has extreme delays, and the game has extremely long loading times. the game also doesnt play so well with a keyboard+mouse.
    overall the game is mediocore. when it works its fun but it can get boring at times
  27. Jul 29, 2013
    An unplayable game on PC because of the awkward camera controls. It's clumsy and frustrating to move around, and very hard to aim at enemies. A bad port to PC from consoles, stay away.
  28. LeeW
    Apr 24, 2009
    Doom 3. Except I already payed fifty dollars. I was hoping for something new; as powerful as Doom 3 is, it does not need to be blatantly plagiarized. New features include the strategic dismemberment, but that would be more fun if I wasn't strategically dismembering the same five enemies over and over again. It includes a ton of backtracking that promises you exploration of every Doom 3. Except I already payed fifty dollars. I was hoping for something new; as powerful as Doom 3 is, it does not need to be blatantly plagiarized. New features include the strategic dismemberment, but that would be more fun if I wasn't strategically dismembering the same five enemies over and over again. It includes a ton of backtracking that promises you exploration of every centimeter of this tin cave, but that is in no way fun, as the level design is completely the same style, or lack thereof, throughout. I normally wait to complete a game before telling how bad it is to get the complete standpoint I need, but this is incredibly basic. I recently finished everything up to the part where I put this distress beacon on this asteroid, but I can't get much more specific, both because I don't remember (nor do I really care to), and I wouldn't want to give away the paper-thin story and bland characters with terrible portrayals by their voice actors to those yet to play this "game". The controls so far are a pain, as if I'm in a corner and pull up my magical menu and I'm facing just the wrong way and cannot see it. Add to that the constricted view and the inability to mouse one's way through most menus. It frustrates me so. It looks really good and has a lot of optimization, though. Expand
  29. Apr 23, 2014
    It's really hard to complain about a game that I got as a giveaway from Origin. Now I know why they are giving it away - it's a really bad console port. Aside from the horrible controls and mouse sensitivity, I got stuck at the 3rd door at the game because of a gamebreaking bug. Too bad, it just seems like a decent game if not for the downsides already pointed out. I won't bother wastingIt's really hard to complain about a game that I got as a giveaway from Origin. Now I know why they are giving it away - it's a really bad console port. Aside from the horrible controls and mouse sensitivity, I got stuck at the 3rd door at the game because of a gamebreaking bug. Too bad, it just seems like a decent game if not for the downsides already pointed out. I won't bother wasting my time on it. Uninstalled. Expand
  30. EASUCKS
    Feb 15, 2009
    This is a good game, but why did I give it a zero?
    This is a good game, but why did I give it a zero?
    Because its made by backstabbing assholes EA with thier DRM, SECU-ROM and bullshit about how "99%of gamers are piraters"... They actually said that... Worst of all it is annouced that they arent porting anymore so now theyre just another console company just like the rest... Computer games so so screwed with all the companies switching over to console.
  31. ChrisS
    Mar 21, 2009
    This game has potential, but i hate EA for 2 things. Stupid DRM (which dead space has) and obvious console ports (which dead space is) It's stupid things like save points are an in-game object (like typewriters in resident evil), simplified inventory systems and unintuitive commands to control things, like you have to lift your hand off the mouse and use the arrow keys (not wsad) to This game has potential, but i hate EA for 2 things. Stupid DRM (which dead space has) and obvious console ports (which dead space is) It's stupid things like save points are an in-game object (like typewriters in resident evil), simplified inventory systems and unintuitive commands to control things, like you have to lift your hand off the mouse and use the arrow keys (not wsad) to select items from the inventory (??? DUMB). Things like that just piss me off WHEN THE MOUSE IS THERE. Other severe gameplay problems i encountered are camera angles are not adjustable, so viewing area is very poor, it may be because im playing on a 4:3 screen and its designed for 16:10, and mouse sensitivity is very frustrating, the sensitivity changes in game as in if you are close up looking at a wall, it will become very unsensitive ie you have to lift and move the mouse over at least once, whereas once you move away from the wall it becomes quite sensitive (roughly how i like it) and then in the menus it is way too sensitive. this is on full sensitivity, it is basically not sensitive enough, how i like it and too sensitive all in one. I play computer games because for a long time a lot of the best games wouldn't work on a console, not necessarily because of hardware limitations, but also because keyboard and mouse is hard to beat. Thats been blurred these days and not because consoles are getting better, but rather publishers want omniplatform releases so i think the games are getting dumbed down to work on consoles and unfortunately PC gets the short end because of that. Otherwise the game is good because it follows the tried and true plot formula seen in so many other successful games such as bioshock and system shock 2, of which it almost appears to be system shock 2 in a new 3d engine, its that similar. The graphics are very good. Basically if you can get over the DRM first and then the ported aspects of the game, its maybe worth playing if you havn't got some other well respected computer rpg's. So basically i gave it 5 because its worth playing, but it doesn't stand out as original, intuitive controls. Expand
  32. JoeK.
    Apr 8, 2010
    GREAT GAME!
  33. NiclasG.
    Nov 16, 2008
    The game has a severe lack of atmosphere. I really enjoyed the first two to three hours of Dead Space but after that, the game hardly came up with something new. Even the audiologs - unlike in System Shock 2 - neither added something to the atmosphere nor explained what happened exactly on that Spaceship. In fact, the "Animated Comics" have more atmosphere than the game itself. There are The game has a severe lack of atmosphere. I really enjoyed the first two to three hours of Dead Space but after that, the game hardly came up with something new. Even the audiologs - unlike in System Shock 2 - neither added something to the atmosphere nor explained what happened exactly on that Spaceship. In fact, the "Animated Comics" have more atmosphere than the game itself. There are a few nice moments throughout the game but the most time it's more like "Isaac do this", "Isaac fetch that", "Isaac rescue our butt.". The game has some - quite good - startling moments but it isn't scary at all. And even this startling moments stop to be startling, after they happen to you the third time. You are just running from A to B, following that blue Line which shows you where to go and kill stuff along the way and that's it. The game can be described as "What comes out, when you put 'Resident Evil' and 'System Shock 2' in a mixer while watching John Carpenters' 'The Thing'... without being scary and having much less story." Oh yeah, and with its 10 hours of gameplay it's quite short in my opinion. Expand
  34. Karl
    Nov 7, 2008
    Nice art, its all very cliche though. I would give this game a better rateing but it has terrible controls, The mouse, everthing actually, lags behind delaying your actions half a second. And the 3rd person camera angle combined with the field of view and offset pivot is nauseating. I would recommend you play a demo first, except that there doesnt seem to be one. So perhaps skip it for Nice art, its all very cliche though. I would give this game a better rateing but it has terrible controls, The mouse, everthing actually, lags behind delaying your actions half a second. And the 3rd person camera angle combined with the field of view and offset pivot is nauseating. I would recommend you play a demo first, except that there doesnt seem to be one. So perhaps skip it for now, maybe pick it up when its in the second hand bin. Expand
  35. Terrman
    Oct 23, 2008
    Great ingredients in an otherwise burned cake. Imaginative story, environment, and foes, but an overly complicated control system and a 3rd person perspective that made me motion sick. To bad, it had great promise.
  36. judas
    Oct 26, 2008
    A good, but not great, game hampered by the usual half-arsed conversion. If I wanted a 'console controls' feel I'd buy a console. Mouse + keyboard are the de-facto standard for PC games and to release the game with such a poor control implementation just shows the contempt with which PC gamers are viewed by the likes of EA. Story-wise I was expecting better - it's A good, but not great, game hampered by the usual half-arsed conversion. If I wanted a 'console controls' feel I'd buy a console. Mouse + keyboard are the de-facto standard for PC games and to release the game with such a poor control implementation just shows the contempt with which PC gamers are viewed by the likes of EA. Story-wise I was expecting better - it's little more than a mish-mash of standard sf/horror tropes. Expand
  37. AlexH
    Jan 19, 2009
    Norman and Bryan: newfags can't disable vsync!

The mouse controls are terrible until you do the above, and then they are fine. Great game, I already owned it on PS3 and I still had to have it for PC. You may want to make sure your rig can run it, but if it can, I highly recommend this game.
  38. PatrickG
    Dec 25, 2009
    It is scary so that is a plus. The graphics are good. Terrible controls of a pure console port. VERY repetitive gameplay. Overall not something I would recommend unless you have played EVERYTHING else and can get this for $10 or less. An entirely forgettable game.
  39. JoelT
    Feb 15, 2009
    Are you people serious? It is a fun game, don't get me wrong. Online, offline, it's still fun... For about 15 minutes. Then it just gets tedious and repetitive and stops being fun. It quickly becomes going through the motions and it isn't exactly that rewarding. There's no real point to the missions besides escape. There's nothing that makes it like the titles Are you people serious? It is a fun game, don't get me wrong. Online, offline, it's still fun... For about 15 minutes. Then it just gets tedious and repetitive and stops being fun. It quickly becomes going through the motions and it isn't exactly that rewarding. There's no real point to the missions besides escape. There's nothing that makes it like the titles that are big today. No actual variety in weapons (GoW2) no moral dilemmas (Fallout 3) no deep storyline (bioshock) this game is only 1 thing. shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot, reload, shoot shoot shoot, get evacuated. Boring... oh, and do the characters need to say "reloading!" every 10 seconds? it really is annoying. Tell me I'm not the only one bothered by that. Expand
  40. ChristopherW
    Oct 25, 2009
    Nice graphics. Very clean looking. I like idea of no HUD and how the character responds to the environment, but at least make the view better. The character should have been centered in the screen so the player can see what attacks from either side. It's the equivalent of playing with one eye closed. Some people like that RE4 view,(which is crazy to me) so there should be a view like Nice graphics. Very clean looking. I like idea of no HUD and how the character responds to the environment, but at least make the view better. The character should have been centered in the screen so the player can see what attacks from either side. It's the equivalent of playing with one eye closed. Some people like that RE4 view,(which is crazy to me) so there should be a view like that only when you aim down the sights of the gun. Controls were bad as well. Couldn't move and look around too well. Camera and control ruined a potentially awesome game. Expand
  41. RichardDenton
    Aug 15, 2009
    Console damaged. Control configuration on the PC is too limited. No one seem to have notice that there are people who use the left hand for the mouse. Save points. I'm now bored to run trough some ventilation system for the n'th time only to be eaten by little creeps in the end. Aim mode. *sigh*. Ok. The game is scary, but in a DOOM3 kind of way.
  42. May 29, 2014
    The most boring and slow start I've seen in a game like this. The controls and movement and story are so clunky and slow. The presentation, how the game starts, is alone appalling enough to stop me playing. Avoid unless you have incredible patience. Unless you're prepared to sift through some really boring gameplay (if you can call it that) and what seems to be a very poorly presentedThe most boring and slow start I've seen in a game like this. The controls and movement and story are so clunky and slow. The presentation, how the game starts, is alone appalling enough to stop me playing. Avoid unless you have incredible patience. Unless you're prepared to sift through some really boring gameplay (if you can call it that) and what seems to be a very poorly presented story, go ahead. But it's such a grind. I don't get how people have the patience to sit through such boring intros. Expand
  43. Sep 8, 2012
    Horrible port. When you start up the game you are immidiately greeted by a clunky main menu that is clearly not designed with PC players in mind. The controls and camera are just awful and the graphics are very average. The saving grace of this title is its superb story and unique gameplay elements. Dismembering enemies in order to kill them is a very fresh experience and the story kept meHorrible port. When you start up the game you are immidiately greeted by a clunky main menu that is clearly not designed with PC players in mind. The controls and camera are just awful and the graphics are very average. The saving grace of this title is its superb story and unique gameplay elements. Dismembering enemies in order to kill them is a very fresh experience and the story kept me wanting to play to find out what happened next. Overall it's not very scary and the port job is quite bad, but if you're a fan of video game stories, then you should take a look at this game. Expand
  44. May 9, 2012
    For me, although I got used to the controls (they are bad, I could not even change bindings), for me the more glaring problem is the tediousness in the middle section of the game as you go over the same route (or very very similar route) again and again after solving one plot objective, only to be told, oh no, now blah blah is broken so go back and fix that. It is redeemed by goodFor me, although I got used to the controls (they are bad, I could not even change bindings), for me the more glaring problem is the tediousness in the middle section of the game as you go over the same route (or very very similar route) again and again after solving one plot objective, only to be told, oh no, now blah blah is broken so go back and fix that. It is redeemed by good graphics, nice feel, and I quite liked the end as well, so the story at the top level holds up well, just the detailed stories as objectives does not. Buy it for $10 or less, it's worth it for about 10 hours of play, similar to the first DOOM3 and RE games. Was enjoyable enough for me to want to play DS2 at any rate. Expand
  45. Oct 12, 2012
    Bad camera,environment and the game isn't scary at all,unless for a couple of scene where monster pop out from wall. only few models of weapon, you can modify them at the shop but it only increases dps. good thing is introduction with the cinematic,story and the last level; also boss fight is too easy.
  46. Dec 11, 2012
    Plays out like Resident Evil 4 in space but with more focus on horror and less QTEs. Scarce ammo, fantastic atmosphere from the amazing sound design & environmental effects, and the isolation & vastness of space fuel this modern survival horror adventure. The most impressive immersion element for me was how they handled the "HUD"; instead of on-screen indicators, your health bar and energyPlays out like Resident Evil 4 in space but with more focus on horror and less QTEs. Scarce ammo, fantastic atmosphere from the amazing sound design & environmental effects, and the isolation & vastness of space fuel this modern survival horror adventure. The most impressive immersion element for me was how they handled the "HUD"; instead of on-screen indicators, your health bar and energy are on your back with ammo on your gun. The only problems with it are port issues (you need to disable v-sync to use a mouse properly), the funneled levels, and a general lack of difficulty. Expand
  47. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Dead frustrating

Dead frustrating

Okay, let’s get the bad out of the way first. The controls for the PC version of this otherwise good game are the worst I have ever encountered. I won’t go into detail but they’re so awkward they almost spoiled the game for me. Almost. (There are also some truly annoying problems with camera and viewpoint angles, but don’t get me started on that!) But what about the good? DEAD SPACE succeeds, despite the aforementioned problems, mainly because it oozes atmosphere. This is a very claustrophobic game that sucks you in and really does induce anxiety. You will jump many times, trust me. The story is okay, within the usual limitations of such games, the voice acting is uniformly convincing, and the graphics are good but not outstanding. Where this game excels is in the way it draws you in; immerses you in it’s dark atmosphere. This is a game that makes your palms sweat, which is exactly what it’s supposed to do.
  48. Jul 26, 2013
    One of the most amazing games I have ever played in my life. Many of the fights left with my jaw dropped wide open because I couldn't believe they just did that in a video game. If you like immersive games, this game is for you. You will forget you are sitting behind a computer monitor and feel as though you are really on the Ishimura. But you have to play it with headphones onOne of the most amazing games I have ever played in my life. Many of the fights left with my jaw dropped wide open because I couldn't believe they just did that in a video game. If you like immersive games, this game is for you. You will forget you are sitting behind a computer monitor and feel as though you are really on the Ishimura. But you have to play it with headphones on and preferably at night. The best thing is, it isn't one of those games that just tries to get you with jump scares. It is genuinely creepy scary, not just jump scenes. The game creeped me out big time and I always could not wait to see what exciting and brilliant thing happened next as I crept through the ship. At first the controls may be a little wacky, but you get used to them very fast. Also spend some time in the options to get your mouse sensitivity and other settings just right. It helps out a lot to be more comfortable. Many felt the second was the better game but many fans feel this was the best in the series. The second one was very much action oriented whereas this one had a good mix of action and immersive gameplay. You can usually get it cheap on steam for $5 at times and I highly suggest picking it up. You will not regret it and it will leave you with one of the most memorable gaming experiences of your life. Expand
  49. Jan 5, 2014
    Beware: this is a great game but it is a bare bones PC port, the graphics are barley improved over the Xbox 360 version and is only playable with a controller. This is a solid third person action-horror game that has its own unique gameplay features that are memorable and fun. If you enjoyed Resident Evil 4 you will most definitely love this and I can give you a definite recommendation ifBeware: this is a great game but it is a bare bones PC port, the graphics are barley improved over the Xbox 360 version and is only playable with a controller. This is a solid third person action-horror game that has its own unique gameplay features that are memorable and fun. If you enjoyed Resident Evil 4 you will most definitely love this and I can give you a definite recommendation if so and that is the best comparison I can draw. This isn't really a survival horror game but it certainly has the atmosphere and enemies of one. If you like third person shooters this is a unique one that is worth your interest. I played this game and its sequel from beginning to end and after completion I was ready to go back through it again on a harder difficulty. If you are concerned that this may be too hard for you don't be it has a decent set of difficulty modes and checkpoint system so will be able to get into it and enjoy it all the way through. However the checkpoint system is also a complaint for me on the harder settings as you never really feel punished for failure which is what a good horror game does.
    It's rare that I start and do not stop playing a game and this was one of them, if you think this game may be for you go for it, it is cheaply available by now and will not disappoint.
  50. Mar 8, 2014
    I was the best at that time the best graphics best horror game of this game, but I have a six-year-old cancer echinacea, out last more than a horror game seems to be the best warrior luck.
  51. Oct 17, 2015
    Dead Space
    Beginning, end, and a bunch of dead space.
    Dead Space is a 3rd person shooter, survival horror game. You start the game out on a rescue mission, and you crash on a giant ship, you quickly find out that some crazy stuff is going on, and by quickly, I mean like, 3 minutes in and you’re ready to go home. Dead space is absolutely terrifying. The game is dark, takes place in
    Dead Space
    Beginning, end, and a bunch of dead space.
    Dead Space is a 3rd person shooter, survival horror game.
    Dead space is absolutely terrifying.
    The game is dark, takes place in this massive ship you crash landed on and this ship is crawling with creepy alien creatures.
    They come out of nowhere, it’s almost impossible to tell when or when they aren’t going to come after you.
    They crawl out of vents, you’ll see them and think great time for a showdown, and nothing happens, or you’ll completely miss the vents on the ceiling and one will hop down on top of you.
    You never get used them.
    Maybe eventually you do... but as soon as you do, they fix that.
    The terror is nonstop from beginning til end.
    These encounters are so terrifying because they are spread out perfectly.
    You spend more time relaxed running through dark halls than you do actually fighting.
    You can fight off these creatures with guns or stomp them to death.
    There are a variety of schematics you’ll find on the ship that you can take back to the store to purchase a new suit upgrade or a new weapon.
    You can carry up to 4 weapons at a time, and more ammo and med packs as you level up your suit.
    You can also collect power nodes to level up your weapons.
    Dead Space does a great job of giving you plenty of ammo while at the same time making you feel like you hardly have any, always keeping you tense.
    The downside though is that Dead Space is insanely repetitive.
    It’s hard to notice for the first 4 chapters of the game because the world feels so fresh, and you can’t help but smile at the influence modern games have borrowed from dead space, but all 12 chapters is nonstop follow the line, shoot things in your way, press the button, come back, do this about 3 or 4 times, get to the train, repeat chapter after chapter after chapter.
    Then they add in 0 gravity sections which can be pretty cool, but it quickly becomes boring and seems far too gimmicky as it was way over used.
    1 or 2 awesome 0 gravity sections would’ve been plenty enough.
    The ability to slow time and use telekinesis does make some sections a tiny bit more interesting and there are a handful of bosses in dead space, but none of them really stuck out of felt special to me.
    Dead Space is a horror game classic way ahead of its time and a must play for horror fans.
    I found the game insanely addictive at times, even though it tends to drag things out just a little too long.
    For what it is
    3rd Person Shooter/Survival Horror

Overall:
  52. Nov 18, 2015
    I wasn't unable to play. There is a bug that doesn't allow me to walk and turn at the same time. The mouse works fine during all the game except when the character was moving; then it was impossible to turn.
  53. ShaunK
    Apr 18, 2010
    Graphics on this game is good considering i'm able to put everything to max setting without much sacrifice with frame rate. Was concerned about this over the right shoulder view people complain about when getting this game but like all games I've adapted to it and don't mind it, if you can't adapt then don't get this game. Storyline is pretty much a classic type, Graphics on this game is good considering i'm able to put everything to max setting without much sacrifice with frame rate. Was concerned about this over the right shoulder view people complain about when getting this game but like all games I've adapted to it and don't mind it, if you can't adapt then don't get this game. Storyline is pretty much a classic type, aliens have taken over, people go insane, betrayals, hope you get the picture. people have complained about aiming issues, i was nerved about that once to until i noticed the first gun i got had three laser points attached to it. As like Doom 3 it's predictable where aliens pop out of and when after a while in the game or as Mike P said after you get to an objective expect to turn around and fight some aliens. Controls aren't terrible just takes some getting use to. Brightness for the game is awfully high for a horror game tried to dim it down but found out the very lowest is still exceptionally bright. If your iffy on getting it wait till it is twenty dollars or less to get it. Expand
  54. MarkJ.
    Oct 24, 2008
    I tend to look at third-person shooter games as a sort of secondary market to the more common first person shooter genre; however Dead Space surprised me. When I was expecting a Hitman: Contracts nostalgia trip, I received a story worthy of publication - and deservedly so with its 7.4GB of size.
  55. ColbyA.
    Oct 27, 2008
    An enjoyable survival-horror. The graphics are good, the gameplay is fun, and I liked the weapons (which felt original) - however, and it is inevitable, there are a lot of unoriginal ideas. SPOILERS: The Necromorphs resemble the Halo's Flood - controlled by a gigantic hivemind, reproduces from dead bodies, etc. I do like the chosen focus on dismemberment, however. Honestly, the game An enjoyable survival-horror. The graphics are good, the gameplay is fun, and I liked the weapons (which felt original) - however, and it is inevitable, there are a lot of unoriginal ideas. SPOILERS: The Necromorphs resemble the Halo's Flood - controlled by a gigantic hivemind, reproduces from dead bodies, etc. I do like the chosen focus on dismemberment, however. Honestly, the game was too easy on Medium, and some of the efforts at making the game scary fell a little short. The low sensitivity,,, wasn't really that sluggish and I quickly adjusted to it. But the storyline was interesting. I clearly see a sequel in the future, and will likely play it. I just still don't understand the ending. Expand
  56. JackB.
    Oct 29, 2008
    I love it, Its a fantastic game for the PC, survuval horror at its best. Some parts get a little 'Ah i saw that coming' but otherwise it has been a great game so far. I am at mission 06 and its great fun nice and scary and the story is really fun. If you get the chance watch Dead space Downfall DVD and it gives you some backstory to the game. Overall 8/10
  57. ArshadS
    Dec 11, 2009
    Scary at first since you will learn what to expect later on during the game. The game is way too short. Would be worth buying it on budget.
  58. Duckman
    Dec 18, 2008
    I don't usually care about what other people say about a game, but today, I will make an exception as I have to use all my power to destroy Bryan T. and his ridiculous comments about this game. I am not criticizing him for not liking this game because everyone has different taste. But to give a completely inaccruate response about the game just made him a liar as he probably never I don't usually care about what other people say about a game, but today, I will make an exception as I have to use all my power to destroy Bryan T. and his ridiculous comments about this game. I am not criticizing him for not liking this game because everyone has different taste. But to give a completely inaccruate response about the game just made him a liar as he probably never played this game at all. Quote: "I don't know about you, but I wanna be able to aim AND side step at the same time. This same problem ruined Resident Evil 4 for me." Are you sure you were playing dead space? You CAN MOVE AND SHOOT AT THE SAME TIME LIKE SPLINTER CELL DAMN IT.. If you have problems with the reticule not moving fast enough, YOU CAN CHANGE THE MOUSE SENSITIVITY IN THE MENU OPTION YOU IDIOT. But even with that said I do agree the control is a bit sluggish and the third person camera angle is a bit wonky expecially when playing this game in a standard 4:3 monitor. I suggest playing this game with a widescreen monitor, I believe the game is designed with that in mind. Now, my opinion. The story for this game borrows heavily from many all too familiar sci-fi horror movies in the past but still manage to make it entertaining and it is decent. The graphic is superb. The environment of the ship is absolutely gorgeous to look. The monsters are so hideous to look at and the animation really made them feel relaistic and they will haunt your dreams for the next couple of weeks. It has all the ingredients for a good survival horror and Dead Space delivers all of them at a high level. Really worth checking out for anyone who like a good scare in the middle of the night. Expand
  59. DanielJ.
    Jan 21, 2009
    This is a really great game! However, at first I was rather dissappointed with the noticeable amount of mouse lag and the third-person over-the-shoulder-camera-view where the main character blocked a significant portion of the view. But after switching off vsync and changing to a widescreen resolution, both of these initially quite annoying problems almost vanished and allowed me to This is a really great game! However, at first I was rather dissappointed with the noticeable amount of mouse lag and the third-person over-the-shoulder-camera-view where the main character blocked a significant portion of the view. But after switching off vsync and changing to a widescreen resolution, both of these initially quite annoying problems almost vanished and allowed me to discover what a thoroughly enjoyable and suspense-filled, atmospheric sci-fi "horror" shooter it really was. The "strategic maiming" sets it apart from many other games and is actually rather fun. It can be quite challenging at times - you need to aim both well and quick since you are often ambushed by several creatures at once. All in all highly recommended for fans of the genre! Expand
  60. Nath
    May 14, 2009
    Great game, but the controls are terrible without a pad. Really wanna give it a 9, but it lacks that certain something which i cannot quite place.
  61. ElginM.
    Dec 21, 2008
    Good: immersive environment, tactical combat (versus mindless blasting), diverse array of enemies Bad: you feel like an intern (Isaac, fix this...Isaac, bring that schematic to me), dreary and cramped environment the entire time, startling rather than scary.
  62. May 28, 2011
    Your player move like Hulk Hogan, but also reminds me of the Jason from Friday the 13th. Chaos Legion theme alike. No leaning left or right, no crouching & jumping. 6 to 8 weapons to choose from. No military grenades, nothing like the game F.E.A.R. or Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Almost like half RPG, FPS & arcade like, no great war sim here. Far more enhanced inventory & map systems than theYour player move like Hulk Hogan, but also reminds me of the Jason from Friday the 13th. Chaos Legion theme alike. No leaning left or right, no crouching & jumping. 6 to 8 weapons to choose from. No military grenades, nothing like the game F.E.A.R. or Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Almost like half RPG, FPS & arcade like, no great war sim here. Far more enhanced inventory & map systems than the Resident Evil games, and it could buy and sells things with the ATM sized store. A bit scary but not too scary. It's the limited view angles close up to the back of the player stressed me or what has scared the hell out of other players, but once I learnt how to turning side to side in the door to get a pre-peek in the next room, it's no more stress, all I've to do is to sprint through the room to the next door & quickly looked back, should never stay too close to a wall, 'cos that limited even more viewing angles. Either the free-look speed is too fast or the gun's aim-look is too slow, either way I can't have both, I tried them with 2 mouse, 1 of them proved that the max look speed is about 50% too slow, as the other mouse is a real fast one & that make the look speed too fast and the shooting view just right. Pick-uppable inventory items on the ground has pop-up signs too big & too tall, blocking shooting-views from time to time when I stands near them, as most of them are near the walls. I wished the signs were made shorter and small just enough to tell me where the pick-uppable items are. The multiple items all in one place should be shown with small icons lining up the top of the HUD/screen like Windows' taskbar, each showing number of 1 to 9 & small icons, so to choose which item to pick-up it's to press the hot keys of like Shift + 1, they won't do that because this game originated from a console, & TV screens are too old & poor reso for smaller icons shown clearly on top of the screen. It's not worth the PC port as they don't want to put any more works into it. This game is rather short, replaying it is unlikely for me. The graphic is very good for a console game. I think they should be making a Windows than a game as they've put too much worked into the inventory and many extra capabilities of the play in the place where there should be leaning left/right, crouch and jump. Well, if you've played BF2, then you should know how much "MS Work" they've done for a game. Expand
  63. Jun 30, 2014
    This is a very good action packed game and quite scary at times. Great story, scary monsters, decent weapons, etc. However the controls weren't the best (console port) and the FOV sucked. Before playing the game, be sure to hack the FOV so it's not as nauseating.
  64. Mar 26, 2015
    The controls and camera views in this game are just sloppy and slow. The rooms are dark and disorienting. The mission goals are ill defined and you just slog through to new areas. "Wall thingies" light up on the walls and doors and its hard to tell what does what. You start out in the suit, so its hard to tell who you really are. Basically, you stumble around and monsters come from theThe controls and camera views in this game are just sloppy and slow. The rooms are dark and disorienting. The mission goals are ill defined and you just slog through to new areas. "Wall thingies" light up on the walls and doors and its hard to tell what does what. You start out in the suit, so its hard to tell who you really are. Basically, you stumble around and monsters come from the side, where its difficult to sway the camera around and you get attacked. If you are lucky enough to have stumbled into the right room and touch the right wall thing the game seems to advance. There is no real skill involved to play this game. Its not as good as RE4 or RE5. The graphics are impressive I guess, but the levels and controls are bad. This is not a classic at all. I'm willing to bet this series will die out eventually. Expand
  65. Jan 6, 2011
    This game is and will always be for a specific niche. I own it on the xbox and the PC (friends can be generous) I definitely think the console is the way to go just due to the use of 2 sticks rather then a mouse. however I have seen so many complaints about mouse lag, if you experience mouse lag you disable vsync. the game was made for the console but its still quite playable on the PC.This game is and will always be for a specific niche. I own it on the xbox and the PC (friends can be generous) I definitely think the console is the way to go just due to the use of 2 sticks rather then a mouse. however I have seen so many complaints about mouse lag, if you experience mouse lag you disable vsync. the game was made for the console but its still quite playable on the PC. many people will find the games psychological story to be much better then the horror side of it. games today have come to be dumbed down versions in not just controls but story as well. seeing that dead space has a rich lore and history was a nice fresh experience. most of the ships and characters armor are very gothic in styling, while weapons are all improvised from a mining ship. damn good game, scary credits Expand
  66. Aug 22, 2013
    Received Dead Space as part of the recent Humble Bundle sale. Sometimes in life you're hit with a good thing out of nowhere, and this is the case with Dead Space. It's a great mix between action, survival, and horror. The story is a bit cliche, but the atmosphere makes up for it, led by the visuals and sound cues. The game is very well optimized for PC, with one major flaw vsync locksReceived Dead Space as part of the recent Humble Bundle sale. Sometimes in life you're hit with a good thing out of nowhere, and this is the case with Dead Space. It's a great mix between action, survival, and horror. The story is a bit cliche, but the atmosphere makes up for it, led by the visuals and sound cues. The game is very well optimized for PC, with one major flaw vsync locks the framerate to 30 fps. There is a workaround you must force vsync externally using your driver software or D3DOverrider if you want to use it and maintain 60 FPS. The mouse controlled very well in my limited time using it, with smooth movement and good sensitivity, but I elected to use a 360 controller instead. Very impressed overall... caused me to buy Dead Space 2. Expand
  67. May 9, 2011
    Dead Space is a fun horror scifi game where alien meets fear meets a bit of mass effect. While it does have some flaws there is plenty of fun to be had here. The PC port is rather bad comparatively. For all the users who have given the game a 0 or low score due to the established issues with this port (spinning camera, laggy mouse movement, Windows cursor appearing ingame) try using googleDead Space is a fun horror scifi game where alien meets fear meets a bit of mass effect. While it does have some flaws there is plenty of fun to be had here. The PC port is rather bad comparatively. For all the users who have given the game a 0 or low score due to the established issues with this port (spinning camera, laggy mouse movement, Windows cursor appearing ingame) try using google and your brain. It would make me respect you more then watching the froth come out of your mouths. I am sorry you wasted your money but here is a secret... it's not wasted if you fix what's wrong. I had every one of those issues and solved them all with about 5 minutes of online research. That being said, yes... EA loses rep for such a bad port. But with everything working well the game is scary, fun, pretty to look at with all graphics cranked up to High, ambient occlusion turned on @ 1920 x 1200 rez. My PC is no beast and it handles this game extremely well.

I am not a huge fan of horror games but I am enjoying the atmosphere and the gameplay very much. It says a lot when I turn the lights off and play in the dark when I sit down to run thru some Dead Space. You will have fun providing you can work through the aforementioned bugs in this PC port. It may not be fun to do but it's not hard either, take the time and you will be rewarded with a better experience then the console because, despite what people say... any fps game will be served much better by using a mouse/keyboard then a controller. Even this one, which is obviously riding the line with it's 3rd person view. Overall a good solid game experience. 1 point off for the bad port.
  68. May 12, 2012
    I'd start off by saying that Dead Space is nowhere near as scary as Penumbra or Amnesia, and neither is it as good of a third-person shooter as the likes of Mass Effect 2, but it's a pretty fun game nevertheless. The game takes place in outer space, on a derelict spaceship, where savage monsters have overrun it completely. The game definitely has some unexpected moments popping up everyI'd start off by saying that Dead Space is nowhere near as scary as Penumbra or Amnesia, and neither is it as good of a third-person shooter as the likes of Mass Effect 2, but it's a pretty fun game nevertheless. The game takes place in outer space, on a derelict spaceship, where savage monsters have overrun it completely. The game definitely has some unexpected moments popping up every now and again and there is an intense atmosphere present, but I won't say that the game is over the top terrifying or anything. In fact it feels more like an action shooter than a horror game. Perhaps the thing that I liked the most about Dead Space is its very unique weapons which you use to kill the monsters with, weapons such as the Line Gun, that shoots a thin slice of energy to cut monsters' limbs off; the Ripper, that brings out a rapidly spinning saw disk to propel through anyone who comes too close; the Force Gun, that shoots a powerful close-ranged shockwave that knocks everything out of its way, and some others. The game also utilises some RPG elements, in that you get to pick up special power nodes throughout the missions and then you get to use the futuristic work bench to use these nodes to make your weapons and armor suit stronger. So I'd say these are the major strengths of the game - unique guns, some RPG elements, intense atmosphere. There is a bit of a story as well, but it sort of always stays on the background. Lastly I'll just mention that I came across two in-game bugs which forced me to have to reload from a previous save point, and that was only in a single playthrough and was sort of annoying. And another slightly annoying thing was that some of the puzzles were a bit too bland. From what I've heard, Dead Space 2 is supposed to be better, so I hope they've fixed some of this game's shortcomings. Expand
  69. Mar 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It'd been awhile since I'd re-visited the Ishimura and its (sadly) mostly dead crew. We landed, their were spooky scripted things and then the game lurched into a slow pattern of repeated onslaughts, puzzles, and a fairly in-cohesive, but functional storyline. You see, old Isaac our main character, is a bit of a fifth wheel on board this scifi-search'n'rescue-aliens-ripoff. In fact I was starting to think he was made as a joke by the development team as he's always running about killing hoards of zombie alien converted crew members, or repairing things that will conveniently only help you (or your mystery guests) for very short periods of time before possibly breaking again. Meanwhile I assume the folks that came with him are up telling ghost stories and drinking hot cocoa in a control room somewhere. Occasionally monitoring you on the cameras aboard the ship to check to see if you're actually still alive and continuing to fix things. Isaac's buddies are rather shifty from the get-go and its handled quite poorly throughout and rather disappointingly around the last hour or so of the game. Isaac's emotional love-interest is on board supposedly and is meant to tug at the heart strings of players, but even when most people didn't care about her existence. It provides very little pull for players and when we have no real connection to the world Isaac lives in, a frankly terrifying futuristic nightmare space land full of massive ships that punch entire holes into planets, it makes it even harder to care about what we're actually doing on this poorly designed and rather cramped ship. Of course something has gone wrong, yet they only send one engineer, a black guy and an incredibly suspicious and seemingly useless woman to go and check out this massive ship? Ridiculous plot aside, their is a lot missing from our adventure throughout the ship. Its probably actual suspense, tension or build up and payoff, since the only horrifying thing about the game is that you'll never run out of ammunition. It would seem the entire team forgot to make the game "actually" scary as well. Featuring jump scares such as: arrival in seemingly empty room with a few items inside or a particularly useful switch needed to progress, upon entry or press of said control panel, "ambush by aliens." It started to become irksome, and you were already buried in ammunition, credits, armor, and guns that could blow away just about any threat. Of course their are two portions of the game that are absolutely loathsome and almost stopped my replay when I remembered them. "The asteroid shoot out." Their is a portion that is so unintentionally difficult early on that almost makes me want to shut off the game and go find a nice woman to marry. I have no idea why its so difficult, only that it has something to do with patterns of rocks coming your way, the very little damage you can take before you lose, and the difficulty in actually aiming at the damn things. Of course who could forget the death sequences? I mean wow, just utterly disgusting and time consuming. "I get it. I died." I like how a game like Dead Space actually rubs it into your face when you die at any point. Obviously someone with actual humor must have been able to sneak this idea in. I'm sure no other game has ever done this ever. Dead Space is the culmination of a lot of things, ideas, generic science fiction writing, and dialogue as well. It is not original in many ways at all, save for the fact that it "functions" and at the end of the day that's what a lot of people liked about it. Was it scary? No. Was it challenging? Not particularly. Were the characters memorable? Nope. What about the plot was it worth holding out till the end of the game? If I was expecting EA to completely ruin an installment I would've waited for a few more games, which I did, and they did end up ruining the entire franchise incidentally. The plot is open and shut at the end of the first game. It hardly even needed a sequel, but one was made anyway. Their are far better games out there in the same vein as Dead Space. Like Resident Evil 4 and that was pretty good. Go play that again if you're bored. Expand
  70. Nov 15, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game...has great atmosphere that really sucks you into the game matrix, some interesting variability to the enemies, you have some choices as to weapons...the coolest thing about the game is that you are an engineer and part of the storyline is repairing this huge ship which you have to navigate in order to fix. The controls are a little wonky I will admit. OtherI really enjoyed this game...has great atmosphere that really sucks you into the game matrix, some interesting variability to the enemies, you have some choices as to weapons...the coolest thing about the game is that you are an engineer and part of the storyline is repairing this huge ship which you have to navigate in order to fix. The controls are a little wonky I will admit. Other than that, fantastic game. Expand
  71. Jul 25, 2012
    I remember once saying that Amnesia The Dark Descent is probably the scariest horror game ever made; although I do admit that I hadn't actually played any other horror game before. Unfortunately for Dead Space fans, this game hasn't changed my mind. The game takes place in space and follows yet another emotion-less mute Issac Clarke. On a positive note, the game is very well put togetherI remember once saying that Amnesia The Dark Descent is probably the scariest horror game ever made; although I do admit that I hadn't actually played any other horror game before. Unfortunately for Dead Space fans, this game hasn't changed my mind. The game takes place in space and follows yet another emotion-less mute Issac Clarke. On a positive note, the game is very well put together and I'm sure gore-hounds will probably love the frequent dismemberment and violence. The combat is quite satisfying and the upgrade system feels fluid. However, being a console port, Dead Space is not well-optimised for the mouse & keyboard, with a weirdly floaty mouse and disjointed sensitivity. The biggest problem I have with Dead Space though, besides the controls, is that it's not even that scary: gory yes, plenty of it, but only the first 10 minutes were genuinely terrifying for me. Once you get your mittens on the weapons though, the game just becomes a series of action sequences with occasional padding and tedious repetition. The game just lacks any form of subtlety; the monsters will eagerly display themselves at every opportunity, bringing an orchestral jump every time they appear. Even after a glitch making the difficulty to jump from Easy (don't judge me) to Medium, the weapons are quite overpowered and the levels start to stretch themselves. So in conclusion, Dead Space is a Survival Horror game that slipped up over the whole horror aspect, so it's essentially just a survival action game. Just to be clear though, Dead Space is not a bad game at all; it looks great, sounds great and is still quite entertaining. A popcorn game I'd say, if you're looking for proper survival horror then Google "Slender"; if that doesn't scare you, nothing will. Expand
  72. Nov 1, 2012
    Im writing this review as of nov 1st 2012. From my experience, its a good game, fun, nice upgrade system. The only problem i have is that the first gun you get is pretty much the best for the rest of the game, for a fps fan this isnt cool....storys like a doom 3, characters are fine, voice overs are ok, nothing special. Its scary for the first 10 mins you play, untill you realize how easyIm writing this review as of nov 1st 2012. From my experience, its a good game, fun, nice upgrade system. The only problem i have is that the first gun you get is pretty much the best for the rest of the game, for a fps fan this isnt cool....storys like a doom 3, characters are fine, voice overs are ok, nothing special. Its scary for the first 10 mins you play, untill you realize how easy it is to kill anything that comes your way. I played in normal difficulty, and it was quite easy, plenty of ammo, you should be upgraded fully by chaper 7 which doesnt take long aslong as you only upgrade 1 gun, the first gun, which is the best but otherwise, graphics were good, gameplay good (i hear people had problems with this pc port, i didnt so no comment on that) anyways, all in all it was a fun, was a well done game, id reccomend it to anyone who likes horror fps....The fact that the first gun u get is the best ( yes i tryed them all ) kinda ruined the fps factor for me, but it was still fun. Oh and some said the hude character in the screen blocks everything, its true for the first bit, but after a few hours you dont even pay attention to it and its a fps, atleast i thought so. Expand
  73. Dec 1, 2011
    Bought this on special from Steam, the graphics are really good, and the atmosphere and immersion are unreal, but unfortunately the otherwise decent gameplay is let let down by awkward controls as a result of a fairly average console port.

My other major gripe is the game mechanic of using the same resource for upgrades as you use for health and ammo, since every time you play out an engagement less than perfectly it pretty much gimps your character for the future, and with the clunky controls this happens quite a bit. Add to this the fact that the savepoints are fairly far apart and it can make for a very frustrating experience. I'm just over halfway through it and the story seems very cliché and unoriginal so far. If you've already played through any of the Doom or Half Life series (or a dozen other games for that matter) there's nothing really new or interesting that this offers story wise.

If you see this on special for XBOX or PS3 it might be worth a look at but I wouldn't recommend it for PC.
  74. Jan 7, 2012
    At first I hated it, but then I read on some forums to disable V-sync. Wow, that made a massive difference. Goodbye mouse lag. Overall was a fun game. Was satisfied with the length of it. The story was extremely linear and predictable. I didnt find it scary either. It was mostly just the music blaring when stuffed popped out. No real terror like Silent Hill or Amnesia. I really enjoyed theAt first I hated it, but then I read on some forums to disable V-sync. Wow, that made a massive difference. Goodbye mouse lag. Overall was a fun game. Was satisfied with the length of it. The story was extremely linear and predictable. I didnt find it scary either. It was mostly just the music blaring when stuffed popped out. No real terror like Silent Hill or Amnesia. I really enjoyed the weapons. I would have liked Isaac, the main dude, to have a bit more of a character. He didnt really talk...like....ever. Overall: weak story, not scary, slightly clunky controls, awesome weapons and action, good graphics. Overall, above average, but not amazing. Oh, and would it have killed them to put in a quick turn ability! I hope Im not just a noob and never figured out how to do it. Expand
  75. Mar 4, 2014
    I can understand that the purpose of the 3rd person view is to make the game scarier. But to me it's a bad design decision because it badly affects the controls / vision and spoiles my whole experience of the game. That would be my number one problem with the game. Monsters are really scary and creepy. If you like scare jumps games you might like this one.
  76. Mar 6, 2014
    Dead Space is something special. The overall game design is wonderful. The story is great. And the gameplay is incredibly unnerving, and that's what we need. I don't usually like to play 3d person sooter games, but Dead Space has really changed my mind.
  77. May 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'This is not the best FPS horror game ever, but it does have nice atmosphere, weapons and shooting model and graphics. I probably won't forget the moment, when the first corpse surprisingly jumped at me. Sadly enough the scary moments get stereotypical and soon enough you will find yourself expecting most of them before they actually happen. Still, overall feeling of the game is nice and I had a pleasure playing it, which doesn't happen too often lately, at least not with new production.

Just a note for people, who didn't play yet. You can actually destroy the green boxes on the ground, I have added new level of difficulty to my game by not knowing that leaving me short on ammo most of the game. I found it out pretty close to the end of game when I accidentally shot into one of those. =)
  78. Jun 22, 2012
    DeadSpace1 (PC Version) is a great game, not as good as DS2, because of the gaming control. Watching left and right is not as sensitive as up and down, I wasn't able to fix this. The "console" feeling doesn't matter at all. Overall you have an interesting story and many shocking events. If you like the movie "Event Horizon" you will love Dead Space!
  79. May 28, 2014
    The game itself has a good storyline, but is all in all badly executed.
    Pro:
    + Good and interesting storyline + Interesting upgrade system Cons: - Game is not dreading (like e.g. Outlast or Amnesia: The Dark Descent) and feeds off jumpscares entirely - Very linear and no options to explore - Save stations instead of "save wherever you want" - Clumsy controls - Third-person view
    The game itself has a good storyline, but is all in all badly executed.
    Pro:
    + Good and interesting storyline
    + Interesting upgrade system

Cons:
    - Very linear and no options to explore
    - Save stations instead of "save wherever you want"
    - Clumsy controls
    - Third-person view is hindering instead of helpful

Aside from that, the technical execution is a joke. My rig can run Crysis 3 on max settings, but starts choking on this thing as soon as lights start flashing. Come on!
    The bad controls are especially gamebreaking. It was impossible to play with mouse and keyboard, as the sensitivity is so extremely low, you can barely aim at an enemy. To be fair, it feels fairly playable with a gamepad, but still needs vast improvement.

The clumsy controls really throw you out of the "feeling" of the game and you never really get into that scary mood like you may know from other horror titles like mentioned above. In addition, the whole game seemed to be more focused on being grotesque and "bloody" (e.g. baby aliens with tentacles cutting peoples heads off), than to induce a feeling of insecurity and dread. All in all is the scare-factor of Dead Space comparable to the "The Walking Dead"-game series.

My recommendation: Play this game if you plan on playing the rest of the series (which are hopefully better), otherwise go for Outlast or Amnesia
  80. Oct 4, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant game with great graphics even by 2013 standards and an amazing story as well as terrifying atmosphere. This game is a must have for any fan of horror games.

Only thing stopping this from a 10 is the average console port of the control system and FOV.
  81. Jun 11, 2014
    It was a good game... right up until it became impossible to beat. I got stuck near the end of the game because I literally had no more ammo. There was no where for me to buy more nor did enemies drop enough in order for me to be able to kill them. It's a great game I just wish it was fair. I could beat it if it were a little more generous with the ammo drops and store prices. I want toIt was a good game... right up until it became impossible to beat. I got stuck near the end of the game because I literally had no more ammo. There was no where for me to buy more nor did enemies drop enough in order for me to be able to kill them. It's a great game I just wish it was fair. I could beat it if it were a little more generous with the ammo drops and store prices. I want to beat it on a reasonable difficulty but it seems that there are only two: cupcake easy and supreme rage quit difficult. I can't even buy a new gun because even if I could I wouldn't have enough money to buy enough ammo for it and like I said before the game has an ammo drought. After about the 50th attempt at the same room I am done.

On a different note, the graphics are good but the view is terrible and the sensitivity seems to have a mind of its own as with the difficulty. it is either constipated slow or like a chipmunk on crack. The story is good, some of the gameplay elements are cool, and the scares are great as well but that's about it as far as what's good about it.

If you can beat or have beaten the game then I commend you and I hope you liked it. It just annoys me to no end that a game would be able to set itself up to a point where it can be impossible to beat. If the devs had any brains at all the game would at least allow for ammo to drop for the gun that I have and not useless crap that I can't even use. If I wanted to play a game that was so unforgiving then I would play Dark Souls because at least that game is designed with the difficulty in mind and is at least beatable.
  82. Aug 13, 2013
    Got it in for the steam sale, but been holding off to play it for a long time since im a wimp to scary LOL. but I give it a 9 after playing it for sometime now. I like the mysterious story behind it, never know whats coming next. Graphics are surprisingly good for this first game of the series. Only reason it's not a 10 is because the controls are a bit hard to get use to, like switchingGot it in for the steam sale, but been holding off to play it for a long time since im a wimp to scary LOL. but I give it a 9 after playing it for sometime now. I like the mysterious story behind it, never know whats coming next. Graphics are surprisingly good for this first game of the series. Only reason it's not a 10 is because the controls are a bit hard to get use to, like switching guns is always a dam hassle of getting the right one. Thats the only issue i really had. Really great game though. Expand
  83. Dec 22, 2012
    Really, really good. Dead Space. That's such a name, isn't it? The game, once opened up, has a very tense menu, then, the introduction is intense too, showing off beautiful shading, and polygonal detail. There are hundreds of models, from cables on the walls, benches and Pipes, to little paper cups, this game has the detail of a real architectural design. The sound design is fantastic, asReally, really good. Dead Space. That's such a name, isn't it? The game, once opened up, has a very tense menu, then, the introduction is intense too, showing off beautiful shading, and polygonal detail. There are hundreds of models, from cables on the walls, benches and Pipes, to little paper cups, this game has the detail of a real architectural design. The sound design is fantastic, as you hear echoey chiming and something scratching in the walls, and the graphics are quite well shaded, but once a light gets too bright on a texture or something small, it looks... watercoloury... The game is intense, gut wrenching and addictive, however feeling slightly stiff. The game is only slightly short, but secrets make you play again and again. :D Smile! Expand
  84. Mar 17, 2014
    This game is and should be considered a masterpiece in the Survival Horror genre, Its got an amazing atmosphere that is captured well by the sound and style of the ship. The combat is unique and the graphics have stood the test of time! One of the best things in this game is the backstory, through out the game you pick up audio logs and text logs which explain what happened to the shipsThis game is and should be considered a masterpiece in the Survival Horror genre, Its got an amazing atmosphere that is captured well by the sound and style of the ship. The combat is unique and the graphics have stood the test of time! One of the best things in this game is the backstory, through out the game you pick up audio logs and text logs which explain what happened to the ships crew. There is only one error that I can find with this game and that error is that every weapon apart from your default weapon (Plasma Cutter) is useless!

Everyone is saying this game is a super crappy PC port but the problems they explain are problems I did not run into, it has normal FPS controls and the mouse movement is easy to get used too, I guess the people complaining about the port controls have there own heads up there arses or there dirty console peasants.

If you like Survival Horror games then you are going to really like this!
  85. Sep 22, 2013
    Wonderful game, nice storyline well write, fearful atmosphere very addictive. Realistic phisic and gravity effect. I Love this game except for the impossibility of rebind command but well worth the effort to change our habits binding preferences_ Nice worck guys of Visceral squad!
  86. Feb 3, 2013
    I usually don't like survival horror games like resident evil or silent hill but dead space was probably one of the most tense and enjoyable games I've played in a long time. It has such an amazing atmosphere that sucks you in with fantastic sound design which can scare you just as much as the horrifying monsters. The gun play is great as it limits you with scarce ammo but is rarelyI usually don't like survival horror games like resident evil or silent hill but dead space was probably one of the most tense and enjoyable games I've played in a long time. It has such an amazing atmosphere that sucks you in with fantastic sound design which can scare you just as much as the horrifying monsters. The gun play is great as it limits you with scarce ammo but is rarely frustrating. The main problem that stops me from giving this game a nine or ten is that late in the game the game starts to lose its creepy atmosphere and starts to focus on combat which leads to some frustrations as fighting large groups is awkward. Overall though the game is insanely atmospheric and the world sucks you in and proceeds to frighten the crap out of you. I'd say this and its sequel are the best horror games on modern consoles possibly ever! Expand
  87. Feb 6, 2013
    The original and the best. Better than Dead Space 2 and 3. This is the scariest game in the series. The dark and gloomy atmosphere aboard a ship in space which has been overrun with infected creatures causes me to become stressed when I'm playing but in a good way. I had to scrounge around for ammo and medkits because resources are scarce. Great game still today. Highly recommended if youThe original and the best. Better than Dead Space 2 and 3. This is the scariest game in the series. The dark and gloomy atmosphere aboard a ship in space which has been overrun with infected creatures causes me to become stressed when I'm playing but in a good way. I had to scrounge around for ammo and medkits because resources are scarce. Great game still today. Highly recommended if you seek a game with a tense atmosphere, soundtrack and premise. 8/10 Expand
  88. Jun 10, 2014
    Dead Space is definitely a true horror game, one that (really, really) leaves you on the edge of your seat. However, this game suffers from linearity, unfortunately. The story-telling is otherwise superb.
  89. Oct 4, 2013
    This game is awesome and very scary at the same time, it's claustrophobic, mysterious and tricky. Only thing that I don't like is mouse input lag that I've fixed by plugging in PS3 controller and translating it to X360 controller input using MotionInJoy, I've enjoyed this game very much and I'm giving it 9/10, yes there are some bugs and glitches like graphical, AI logic and some rareThis game is awesome and very scary at the same time, it's claustrophobic, mysterious and tricky. Only thing that I don't like is mouse input lag that I've fixed by plugging in PS3 controller and translating it to X360 controller input using MotionInJoy, I've enjoyed this game very much and I'm giving it 9/10, yes there are some bugs and glitches like graphical, AI logic and some rare path-finding bugs. Expand
  90. Dec 10, 2014
    The game itself is fantastic. Excellent sf horror story, great atmosphere, interesting universe. The only thing that really bothers me and brings the game down are controls. If you have a gamepad plugged in the game will automatically assume you are using it and show gamepad icons even if you use K&M. That said if you use K&M the controls are awkward and not very intuitive. If you can getThe game itself is fantastic. Excellent sf horror story, great atmosphere, interesting universe. The only thing that really bothers me and brings the game down are controls. If you have a gamepad plugged in the game will automatically assume you are using it and show gamepad icons even if you use K&M. That said if you use K&M the controls are awkward and not very intuitive. If you can get past that the game is as I said fantastic. Expand
  91. May 28, 2013
    This survival horror masterpiece is truly frightening. The space ship that Issac is in feels lonely and certainly creepy, because of the zombie-like enemies that always surprise players in the most quiet moments and in the most uncomfortable situations. This game has a creepy atmosphere, that succeeds creating tension.
    But, what's wrong with this game resulting a score of nine? Well, it's
    But, what's wrong with this game resulting a score of nine? Well, it's the slightly complicated controls, nothing else. Dead Space is an amazing game that I highly recommend, especially for the survival-horror fans.
  92. Jun 28, 2014
    Can't believe how much love this game gets. Controls are phenomenally bad, even with the well-known vsync and other fixes. It's just such a chore to play with such awful controls. I played it for an hour, tried all the fixes, uninstalled. Too many good games to play rather than fight with this one.
  93. Jun 30, 2013
    This game is awesome it's not really as scary as many people say but it's an awesome Survival Horror title you should pick it up if you like Survival Horror like games and it's pretty similar to Resident Evil 4 and the story is amazing and the graphics are not the best but it is a 2008 game.
  94. Jul 6, 2013
    A simplified review for novice gamers
    Graphics:
    Pretty nice but some times clunky especially the corpses of the dead some may get stuck on a wall Sound: Very good also the voice acting is great Story: Solid but sometimes players might get lost in it but everything gets clear in the end Game play: Great but could have been just a little bet better as sometimes the player might feel
    A simplified review for novice gamers
    Graphics:
    Sound:
    Very good also the voice acting is great
    Story:
    Game play:
    Great but could have been just a little bet better as sometimes the player might feel that his or her enemies is way powerful and sometimes survival gets very tough
    Overall Dead space as a fine third person shooter game but it just needed a little twist
  95. Jul 28, 2013
    A constant remix of tried and true horror techniques that's left me more afraid, not the technique itself, but always wondering when it would finally arrive and in what form. For example, there are countless times you enter a bloodied bathroom expecting something to jump out. Over and over again the game lets you off the hook. You worry every single time you enter one. Making you keep yourA constant remix of tried and true horror techniques that's left me more afraid, not the technique itself, but always wondering when it would finally arrive and in what form. For example, there are countless times you enter a bloodied bathroom expecting something to jump out. Over and over again the game lets you off the hook. You worry every single time you enter one. Making you keep your guard up constantly was what this title excels at.

Overall it is an engaging and thrilling experience that could not be polished further.
  96. Aug 18, 2013
    Definitely one of the better EA games i have played. Runs great on Max-settings, no mouse lag that most seem to complain about, great shooting mechanics and overall game-play. And this is also one of the better PC-ports i have played. I'd recommend to pick this one up as It's more than worth it's current price.
  97. Aug 22, 2013
    Easily the best game in the series, one minor issue being delayed user input, but this could easily be fixed by turning off VSYNC so its not that big of an issue. One of the first things I remember noticing about this game was the lighting, it looked amazing, especially for a console port. The ambience is done excellently as well, good sound effects where they need to be. It makes for aEasily the best game in the series, one minor issue being delayed user input, but this could easily be fixed by turning off VSYNC so its not that big of an issue. One of the first things I remember noticing about this game was the lighting, it looked amazing, especially for a console port. The ambience is done excellently as well, good sound effects where they need to be. It makes for a very suspenseful atmosphere and I loved it, replayed it at least 10 times. Expand
  98. Sep 17, 2013
    This is a true futuristic, space aged version of resident evil. Very graphic, plot driven and extremely scary. This game also has brilliant visuals but it's primary selling point would be the impressive sound design and score, especially during the boss battles. The controls are a bit clunky though.
  99. Sep 19, 2013
    I picked this game up along with a couple others with the Humble Origin Bundle. And I have to say this game is probably the best of the three made so far! I should know I own all three. The way the game handles on keyboard is my only issue! And there may be a few puzzles that are harder to figure out. But, overall this was a really good game. I would like to say more but I don't want toI picked this game up along with a couple others with the Humble Origin Bundle. And I have to say this game is probably the best of the three made so far! I should know I own all three. The way the game handles on keyboard is my only issue! And there may be a few puzzles that are harder to figure out. But, overall this was a really good game. I would like to say more but I don't want to soil it for anyone else who wants to play it. Expand
  100. Sep 21, 2013
    Ok, so. Let's start from the beginning. This game is AMAZING. The BEST game EVER! Oh my gosh this gun is SO cool. Then you get to the near-end. I've seen this bloody enemy for fiftieth time! Can't I get a break? Nope. Your dead. Trying to skip 30 second overly gory death scenes (which you can't). Now start the WHOLE sequence again. This is the first Dead Space in the nut shell.
  101. Jan 31, 2013
    I am boggled at how this game has been praised by so many with such a high score. The controls is a gigantic turd. It didn't seem to be very intriguing story wise. I read about dead space, watched a anime on it and thought it was a neat idea, but the game just feels like it wasn't even trying. It was the same "scare" tactic used way too many times. "Oh look, a alien/creature, I wonder ifI am boggled at how this game has been praised by so many with such a high score. The controls is a gigantic turd. It didn't seem to be very intriguing story wise. I read about dead space, watched a anime on it and thought it was a neat idea, but the game just feels like it wasn't even trying. It was the same "scare" tactic used way too many times. "Oh look, a alien/creature, I wonder if it will get up once I walk by. Oh there is a vent too, wonder if I should worry." It was repetitive after the first 30mins of play. It also expects you to feel something about the guy you are supposedly running around as. There was no build up to he background, just a picture and a ship log? Something bad happened? You walk into a room on the "problem" ship with 2-8 people that are armed, and you are doing something that happened to corner you off from them and they all die(except for 2 people), but you are to do better and somehow survive with primitive tools compared to them? Why is he still alive after that? The aliens/creatures feel bad for him? What kind of crap story is this so far? The whole room was killed off except for 2 people and you. After that and trying to give it a shot still I just stopped. I bought a bundle pack and have both ds1 and 2 but didn't even try 2. Compared to other games this one doesn't shine at all. The only thing scary about this game is the amount of praise it gets. Collapse

1. This is a highly recommended game for science fiction and survival horror fans, with its claustrophobic atmosphere and horrible creatures.
  2. Overall, Dead Space is an extraordinary game with tons of shock value and action to whet any fan's appetite for some time, and with a campaign that lasts a steady 10-12 hours, that’s plenty of time to get lost aboard the Ishimura.
  3. PC Zone UK
    Dead Space is a potentially great game that's hamstrung by an attempt to completely ape a console controller with a mouse and keyboard. [Dec 2008, p.58]