7.0

1. Apr 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Deadly Premonition is hard to write anything for without giving away spoilers, so I will break this down into two sections: A simple spoiler-free "Pros & Cons" section with a summary of my review, followed by a spoiler-filled review.

Pros: + Lovable characters in a charming setting + Extremely relaxing atmosphere and gameplay pacing

Pros:
    + Lovable characters in a charming setting
    + Extremely relaxing atmosphere and gameplay pacing
    + Hilarious dialogue and (mostly) gripping plot
    + Tons of side quests and post-game content to explore

Cons:
    - Frequent crashes (both random & reproducible)
    - Terrible port that isn't optimized for modern PCs
    - Clunky, unsatisfying combat with terrible SFX
    - An overabundance of ammo, healing items, and other pointless pick-ups (food & sleep were almost never needed)
    - Many boring, drawn-out travel sequences that are unskippable
    - Terribly timed and overused QTEs
    - Tons of muddy, low-rez textures
    - Heavily compressed low-rez cutscenes
    - A ridiculous ending that almost ruined the game

Overall, Deadly Premonition is a one-of-a-kind game. I would recommend you at least give it a chance because you might not experience a game like it again. It certainly has its ups and downs; the good parts are excellent and the bad parts are godawful, but in the end you have something really memorable here that is worth playing... if you can get it to work properly.

Spoilers below, you have been warned!

I went into Deadly Premonition expecting "Resident Evil with FBI Agents" and instead received "Shenmu with Zombies". While the town of Greenvale is very charming and cozy, I feel that more attention went into the production of this digital town than anything else. It's a great place to explore but I felt no reason to considering how literally overburdened I became with pickups (many times my extra storage also became full) just by playing the main story. Its a shame Greenvale's attention to detail wasn't put into the combat sequences of the game; the Resident Evil-esque generic horror music becomes very repetitive and the combat's SFX are weak, hollow stock effects that almost put me to sleep many times.

Although the game starts out believably enough, with you chasing a string of serial killer murders in a quiet town, the game started to introduce "supernatural" elements that I assumed were the main character hallucinating. In fact, the other world invasions seemed to all be in Zach's head up until you control Emily in the clock tower and she has to deal with them too. At this point I was really worried that the whole game was taking a literal approach to the events happening. I don't know if the game was rushed, or if there were massive re-writes, but things got really, really stupid during Episode 5 & 6 at the end of the game. I wish more time had been spent on fleshing out a proper psychological thriller rooted in reality rather than the supernatural DMC-style boss fights and plot changes that comprised the last two episodes of the game.

All this is assuming you can get the game to run (and keep it running) on your computer. Even with a fan-made patch (provided by Durante, the man behind DSfix for Dark Souls) that has been updated many times since launch, DP is plagued with random freezes, random crashes to desktop, and freezing at reproducable spots. Lots of other small issues caused me to replay tedious sections of the game (opening the browser in steam overlay crashed DP almost everytime, alt+tabbing WILL crash the game, etc.); even though I finished the game in about 17 hours, I have 24 hours clocked on Steam because of all the issues I had. There were many other small issues that detracted from the game, such as sound moving around seemingly randomly between speakers if you don't have Windows set to Stereo sound, that make me wonder if ANY QA went into this game.

While I wanted to love this game, the last two episodes were a jarring and ridiculously over-the-top change of pace that felt like jumping from watching an American TV series to watching the last two episodes of an anime. In fact, Deadly Premonition plays more like an episodic TV series, broken down into bite-sized chapters (with "Previously during the investigation..." segments) than an actual video game. Deadly Premonition is a very unique experience but definitely won't be appreciated by everyone. If this game worked properly, I would be more apt to recommend it. As it stands, it is a crash-riddled mess than is probably better experienced on a console.
  2. sft
    Mar 13, 2016
    What’s that, Zach – you’re at your wit’s end?

What’s that, Zach – you’re at your wit’s end?

Honestly, I don’t know where to start. DEADLY PREMONITION is one of the most memorable games I have ever played, but sadly not always for the right reasons. There is so much wrong with this game it’s not possible to list all its flaws in a brief review like this. Suffice it to say, it runs terribly on the PC with the longest load times I have ever encountered and more glitches than I could shake a stick at. The graphics are pretty awful (I used the DP patch which supposedly improves performance and graphics but it still looks like something from the early 90s). The controls are awful and if I hadn’t discovered a tweak that fixes a ridiculous aiming problem I would probably have given up on the game. The combat is hideous too, with the aforementioned dreadful aiming system and poor mechanics. Even the UI is an irritating mess. And yet despite all this I’m glad I stuck it out until the end (incidentally, despite having completed the game I only found a handful of the many side quests, as they are often time-sensitive and way off the main story track). So what’s good about DP? Well it certainly is quirky, and it’s easy to see why it’s gained such a devoted cult following. At its core DP has a very strong story backed up by solid voice acting. It has many weird and interesting characters and some crazy dialogue. Although it is derivative (Twin Peaks and Silent Hill are often-used comparators, and rightly so) it still has a unique personality. There’s no doubt that if DP had been produced to the same standard as a AAA game it would be outstanding. But unfortunately I can only recommend it if you have a slight masochistic streak, as, it appears, do I. There’s a five-star game in here struggling to get out but due to all its faults I can only give it 3.5/5.
  3. Jul 31, 2014
    this game has a great horror story with good gameplay i love the voice acting
    this game has its creepy moments and it has its LOL moments
    if you want a good horror / crime needs to be solved type of good then look no farther this game is amazing.
    85 / 100
  4. Sep 22, 2014
    This is the weirdest, ugliest, buggiest game I've ever played... but it's so good despite all that. The story and characters, the strange mechanics, the ugly but charming graphics - it's an odd, yet wonderful creation. Something you must approach with an open mind to truly appreciate.

Please give it a chance.
  5. Nov 3, 2013
    In rare cases some things are so the worst they cross a certain threshold and acquire a new quality: so bad it's good. They become Deadly Premonition.
  6. Nov 24, 2013
    If you are bored of all the big budget cookie cutter games, this will be a breath of fresh air. Although all features of the game have varying quality to say the last. Some of the writing is brilliant, some of it is cringeworthy. The main cutscenes are directed in a fantastic way with great artistic vision but the simple dialogue scenes suck. Some of the music is great and appropriate,If you are bored of all the big budget cookie cutter games, this will be a breath of fresh air. Although all features of the game have varying quality to say the last. Some of the writing is brilliant, some of it is cringeworthy. The main cutscenes are directed in a fantastic way with great artistic vision but the simple dialogue scenes suck. Some of the music is great and appropriate, especially in story cutscenes, but a lot of tracks are totally out of place. The PC port itself is terrible, however with DPFIX installed and a JoyToKey or xpadder it works with gamepad as well. It's a very interesting and unique peace of work and can be highly entertaining despite it's big flaws. Expand
  7. Jun 1, 2014
    If I ever wrote a book with a video game topic the title would be "1 Video Game You Must Play Before You Die" and Deadly Premonition would be the subject. In it you would find countless of analysis of the many citizens of Greenvale, a complete study of the main characters quirks and flaws, how to make your own Sinner's Sandwich and why you always should keep your suit pressed and clean.If I ever wrote a book with a video game topic the title would be "1 Video Game You Must Play Before You Die" and Deadly Premonition would be the subject. In it you would find countless of analysis of the many citizens of Greenvale, a complete study of the main characters quirks and flaws, how to make your own Sinner's Sandwich and why you always should keep your suit pressed and clean.

Hell, I would probably end up writing a sequel. There is just so much going on in this game that one book simply couldn't content everything that needs to be said about Deadly Premonition.

There are lot of great games out there, but in my view there is only about 3 games that have ever gone far and beyond and pushed what a game really is capable of being. A game that changes the way you will look at games. A game that makes you realize what a fantastic medium games can be, if it's utilized for more than simply being another entertainment form to ultimately make you pass time. A game that ruins gaming.

Deadly Premonition is all that. It's impossible to describe exactly what it is that makes it such a fantastic game. Most people will only shake their heads and it's like trying to describe a miracle to people who never witnessed one.
  8. Oct 31, 2013
    For PC its a Bad port...
    Really low quality videos and graphics (not even the fix of Durante's helps) still look like a early PS2 game.
    The sound in general weak gunfire, explosions, you name it... ) The response of the keyboard in some of those damn QTE its awful Lack of full support for Gamepad. most of ports force Pc-users to USE gamepad to play as intended... Im watching you Dark
    For PC its a Bad port...
    The sound in general weak gunfire, explosions, you name it... )
    The response of the keyboard in some of those damn QTE its awful
    Lack of full support for Gamepad. most of ports force Pc-users to USE gamepad to play as intended... Im watching you Dark Souls and you State of Decay in this case the lack of them.

some ppl love it, and some ppl hate it... in my case its below my lower expectations...
  9. Nov 3, 2013
    A bad port of an otherwise good yet weird as hell game. I found myself disconnected yet intrigued by this oddly played out adventure. The graphics range from last generation to current generation across the whole board with character models being highlights and foliage being the low, and I mean LOW points. No options, weird input style with not controller support despite the obviousA bad port of an otherwise good yet weird as hell game. I found myself disconnected yet intrigued by this oddly played out adventure. The graphics range from last generation to current generation across the whole board with character models being highlights and foliage being the low, and I mean LOW points. No options, weird input style with not controller support despite the obvious console copy and paste. Expand
  10. Nov 13, 2013
    The port is a total mess: low fps, no XBOX joypad support, really LOW graphics and to sum up neverending crashes. I am not that optimistic about upcoming patches that will fix crashes, fps and will add xbox pad support, that's why I already refunded it... Score is 2 for intriguing intro... will change my score if the game will be patched as it should be and I'd be able to .play it.
  11. Feb 19, 2014
    I have this game for the xbox 360 version, which I LOVE IT!! my favorite game of this generation, by far! I've been defending this game in all forums, etc...but... the port they did for a PC is just an INSULT for everyone who bought the game, is a careless port, full of bugs and even not gamepad control option!!! The worse thing is their actitude after released the game, complete awful andI have this game for the xbox 360 version, which I LOVE IT!! my favorite game of this generation, by far! I've been defending this game in all forums, etc...but... the port they did for a PC is just an INSULT for everyone who bought the game, is a careless port, full of bugs and even not gamepad control option!!! The worse thing is their actitude after released the game, complete awful and not respecting the costumers. I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM ANYMORE, such a disappointment! Expand
  12. Jan 24, 2014
    Little to no options but I think most PCs can handle it.I still had fun until I got the keys to the police car upon entering the car got an annoying looping screech sound, the bug seems common and means I won't touch the rest of the game until it is fixed.
  13. Jan 26, 2014
    This is the worst PC port ever.
    The game itself is very interesting, but too many bugs.
    You might not be able to complete the story.
    Patches for fix are disappointingly insufficient.
  14. Jan 22, 2015
    I tried to play the game Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut yesterday. This game originally came out on the Xbox 360 in 2010. It was recently re-released on PS3 as well as ported to the PC. For years this game has been heralded as an open-world survival horror homage to Twin Peaks: the story involves a quirky FBI agent investigating a strange murder in Washington state. The originalI tried to play the game Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut yesterday. This game originally came out on the Xbox 360 in 2010. It was recently re-released on PS3 as well as ported to the PC. For years this game has been heralded as an open-world survival horror homage to Twin Peaks: the story involves a quirky FBI agent investigating a strange murder in Washington state. The original version of the game also involved the detective interacting with two dwarves in a red room; maybe homage is an understatement.

Make no mistake the game is terrible. It controls like Resident Evil 4 and has graphics which are about the same - except it was released 5 years later. It was developed by a small Japanese game studio that had a deep appreciation for David Lynch so naturally it has developed a cult following in the states.

Some of my favorite games were developed by Japanese game companies. My wife and I both love the Tales games released by Namco Tales as well as the SMT/Persona games released by Atlus. The key difference here as that both of these companies do great localization - that is, they spend a lot of time getting decent translation of the original Japanese dialogue.

This is pretty important; if you don't do that then a lot of the humor and personal interaction just comes across as stilted and awkward. I have the feeling that this is pretty much the case with Deadly Premonition. I think a lot of folks view the "quirky dialogue" as Lynchian - but considering how poorly the rest of the game comes together it is more likely that this is just bad localization.
  15. Apr 13, 2016
    Wow, all i can say is what a game, i am astonished to find that this game was panned by the so called "gaming media", but i am glad the game is now considered a cult classic in the eyes of gamers with taste, very trippy game, and i still have no clue what's going on while playing this game, utter utter confusion, you cannot really explain this game to people on the fence about buying thisWow, all i can say is what a game, i am astonished to find that this game was panned by the so called "gaming media", but i am glad the game is now considered a cult classic in the eyes of gamers with taste, very trippy game, and i still have no clue what's going on while playing this game, utter utter confusion, you cannot really explain this game to people on the fence about buying this game but all i will say is if you enjoyed Twin Peaks you will love Deadly Premonition.

Only issue would be the that the game can be buggy and hard to follow.

Solid 7/10

I know, a lot of game right there :)
  16. Jan 27, 2017
    Deadly Premonition is one of the worst games ever, but it's also one of the best. Try typing "most polarizing video game of all time" on Google and look at the top results and related searches. Yep.

If you ever get this PoS to work within the 2-hour refund period, you'll be greeted by toga-wearing twins spouting gibberish, crime-related references to The Tom and Jerry show, and squirrels purposefully given the sound bytes of a startled chimpanzee. After a fatal car crash and one unhurt protagonist crawling out of a burning car, full of swagger on his back, you get to play the top contender for worst Dreamcast game ever. Outdated control scheme, horrendous graphics, and gameplay mechanics that borrowed from the worst inspirations ever; it's like this game was stuck in development for over a decade. Oh wait, it was.[www.polygon.com]

But even with all the trash found in the game, I still admired it. After playing it through to the end, I respected it. I'll even admit that I became teary-eyed once the game showed its final scenes. It was the story, with all its surreal moments and weird but charming cast that kept me playing and invested in the game. Deadly Premonition is a homage to Twin Peaks, a show that inspired video games like Max Payne, Alan Wake, and Silent Hill. A show that ended too soon, yet the concept found new life in video games. It's how game writer and director Hidetaka Suehiro molded the Lynchian framework into something more akin to his style, while still respecting the inspiration, that made the game shine. This is art, plain and simple. And no word has ever been more fitting for the most polarizing video game of all time.

And there you have it.

1. PC PowerPlay
    Feb 24, 2014
    It's difficult to tell where genius ends and incompetence begins, but either way, it's astoundingly entertaining. [March 2014, p.62]
  2. Dec 24, 2013
    Enjoyable writing cloaked in layers of problematic navigation, tonal inconsistency and pressing A and D not to die.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 25, 2013
    Twin Peaks gone gaming is an unique experience marred only by obsolete technology. If you're drawn towards unconventional games, don't miss this weirdness made in Japan. [Issue#236]