7.0

1. sft
    Mar 13, 2016
    What’s that, Zach – you’re at your wit’s end?

What’s that, Zach – you’re at your wit’s end?

Honestly, I don’t know where to start. DEADLY PREMONITION is one of the most memorable games I have ever played, but sadly not always for the right reasons. There is so much wrong with this game it’s not possible to list all its flaws in a brief review like this. Suffice it to say, it runs terribly on the PC with the longest load times I have ever encountered and more glitches than I could shake a stick at. The graphics are pretty awful (I used the DP patch which supposedly improves performance and graphics but it still looks like something from the early 90s). The controls are awful and if I hadn’t discovered a tweak that fixes a ridiculous aiming problem I would probably have given up on the game. The combat is hideous too, with the aforementioned dreadful aiming system and poor mechanics. Even the UI is an irritating mess. And yet despite all this I’m glad I stuck it out until the end (incidentally, despite having completed the game I only found a handful of the many side quests, as they are often time-sensitive and way off the main story track). So what’s good about DP? Well it certainly is quirky, and it’s easy to see why it’s gained such a devoted cult following. At its core DP has a very strong story backed up by solid voice acting. It has many weird and interesting characters and some crazy dialogue. Although it is derivative (Twin Peaks and Silent Hill are often-used comparators, and rightly so) it still has a unique personality. There’s no doubt that if DP had been produced to the same standard as a AAA game it would be outstanding. But unfortunately I can only recommend it if you have a slight masochistic streak, as, it appears, do I. There’s a five-star game in here struggling to get out but due to all its faults I can only give it 3.5/5.
  2. Nov 24, 2013
    If you are bored of all the big budget cookie cutter games, this will be a breath of fresh air. Although all features of the game have varying quality to say the last. Some of the writing is brilliant, some of it is cringeworthy. The main cutscenes are directed in a fantastic way with great artistic vision but the simple dialogue scenes suck. Some of the music is great and appropriate,If you are bored of all the big budget cookie cutter games, this will be a breath of fresh air. Although all features of the game have varying quality to say the last. Some of the writing is brilliant, some of it is cringeworthy. The main cutscenes are directed in a fantastic way with great artistic vision but the simple dialogue scenes suck. Some of the music is great and appropriate, especially in story cutscenes, but a lot of tracks are totally out of place. The PC port itself is terrible, however with DPFIX installed and a JoyToKey or xpadder it works with gamepad as well. It's a very interesting and unique peace of work and can be highly entertaining despite it's big flaws. Expand
  3. Nov 3, 2013
    A bad port of an otherwise good yet weird as hell game. I found myself disconnected yet intrigued by this oddly played out adventure. The graphics range from last generation to current generation across the whole board with character models being highlights and foliage being the low, and I mean LOW points. No options, weird input style with not controller support despite the obviousA bad port of an otherwise good yet weird as hell game. I found myself disconnected yet intrigued by this oddly played out adventure. The graphics range from last generation to current generation across the whole board with character models being highlights and foliage being the low, and I mean LOW points. No options, weird input style with not controller support despite the obvious console copy and paste. Expand
  4. Apr 13, 2016
    Wow, all i can say is what a game, i am astonished to find that this game was panned by the so called "gaming media", but i am glad the game is now considered a cult classic in the eyes of gamers with taste, very trippy game, and i still have no clue what's going on while playing this game, utter utter confusion, you cannot really explain this game to people on the fence about buying thisWow, all i can say is what a game, i am astonished to find that this game was panned by the so called "gaming media", but i am glad the game is now considered a cult classic in the eyes of gamers with taste, very trippy game, and i still have no clue what's going on while playing this game, utter utter confusion, you cannot really explain this game to people on the fence about buying this game but all i will say is if you enjoyed Twin Peaks you will love Deadly Premonition.

Only issue would be the that the game can be buggy and hard to follow.

Solid 7/10

I know, a lot of game right there :)
  5. Jan 27, 2017
    Deadly Premonition is one of the worst games ever, but it's also one of the best. Try typing "most polarizing video game of all time" on Google and look at the top results and related searches. Yep.

If you ever get this PoS to work within the 2-hour refund period, you'll be greeted by toga-wearing twins spouting gibberish, crime-related references to The Tom and Jerry show, and squirrels purposefully given the sound bytes of a startled chimpanzee. After a fatal car crash and one unhurt protagonist crawling out of a burning car, full of swagger on his back, you get to play the top contender for worst Dreamcast game ever. Outdated control scheme, horrendous graphics, and gameplay mechanics that borrowed from the worst inspirations ever; it's like this game was stuck in development for over a decade. Oh wait, it was.[www.polygon.com]

But even with all the trash found in the game, I still admired it. After playing it through to the end, I respected it. I'll even admit that I became teary-eyed once the game showed its final scenes. It was the story, with all its surreal moments and weird but charming cast that kept me playing and invested in the game. Deadly Premonition is a homage to Twin Peaks, a show that inspired video games like Max Payne, Alan Wake, and Silent Hill. A show that ended too soon, yet the concept found new life in video games. It's how game writer and director Hidetaka Suehiro molded the Lynchian framework into something more akin to his style, while still respecting the inspiration, that made the game shine. This is art, plain and simple. And no word has ever been more fitting for the most polarizing video game of all time.

And there you have it.

1. PC PowerPlay
    Feb 24, 2014
    It's difficult to tell where genius ends and incompetence begins, but either way, it's astoundingly entertaining. [March 2014, p.62]
  2. Dec 24, 2013
    Enjoyable writing cloaked in layers of problematic navigation, tonal inconsistency and pressing A and D not to die.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 25, 2013
    Twin Peaks gone gaming is an unique experience marred only by obsolete technology. If you're drawn towards unconventional games, don't miss this weirdness made in Japan. [Issue#236]