5.5

1. Nov 2, 2013
    Really poor remake of the original. The controls are absolutely rubbish, as they seem linked to the FPS,
    which means you turn at different rates, depending on how many items are rendered, or where you are on the map.
  2. Nov 11, 2012
    I never played the original but I thought this game would be similar to a game called mashed, how wrong I was. Very boring and repetitive, races are too short, having infinite ammo chain gun reduces the fun, just so many things are crap about this game, if they just removed the chain gun, added weapon pick ups like mashed or wipeout, longer tracks, and better controls then it might have been worth 3.99, atm it is not worth 10p. Expand
  3. Aug 4, 2012
    The races in Death Rally are each only about 1 minute long, and there are only about 10 maps. Consequently, it's a VERY repetitive game. You usually have to do 3 to 5 races to get enough cash for an upgrade, and there are 5+ upgrades for every car, and 9 upgrades for each of the 6 weapons. Since you don't really get any objectives, completion is the only thing you can play for. That means you'll have to do several thousand of these 1 minute races.

The game was fun to begin with, but 30 minutes later it was a repetitive snorefest. Don't get this game if you don't like grinding.
  4. Aug 16, 2012
    Ok, I have to reconsider my rating after playing for longer time. I have to agree with BinarySplit and others. It's way too fast, way too linear and gives worse experience than the original. Not a good remake.
  5. Nov 10, 2012
    Wow what a waste of 10 minutes. Controls suck, graphics suck, gameplay sucks, music sucks, and the menus/interface are the worst nonworking counter intuitive broken buggy maddening garbage I've ever been forced to attempt to use. We never got a multiplayer game working once and the two single player games I played were absolute tedium. You can't even change your controls away from "absolute direction" to "relative to position" which is a staple of any top-down racer. Rock'n'Roll Racing was better. Ironman Stewart's Super Off Road was far better. RC Pro Am of any flavor, even the Gameboy versions, was far, far better. Heck the original Death Rally was at least twice this fun and this is supposed to be a remake of it. Epic fail. This is the worst top-down racing game ever designed by humans, cyborgs, self aware robots, or sentient computer viruses. If you waste any money on this trash you deserve all the virtual road rage you will get while trying to even make this raw sewage function properly, to say nothing of having anything approaching fun. Death Rally is a 'fun black hole' out of which fun cannot possibly escape. Zero stars out of ten. Expand
  6. Aug 28, 2012
    Let's see: No awesome musical soundtrack., no sense of RPG continuity, no strategic destruction of enemies. Limited levels and poor controls. Boring, repetitive races. I only had to play this game for about an hour to be disappointed. I try to take a game on it's face value and not compare them to earlier games - but an improvement this was not. Heck, they could have just taken the original and made some new boards and weapons and you would have had a real winner. But this? No sir. Expand
  7. Aug 5, 2012
    Imagine playing the original Death Rally and thinking the following:

1) All these cars go too fast! They should all be slowed down.
    2) That boost bar is too complicated! Instead of a continuous boost, it should just be a few, discrete nitros that just make the car go a little faster for awhile. And you don't start the race with any.
    3) I die too much! The guns should do less damage.

4) It's too hard to aim! The gun should auto-aim and auto-fire with unlimited ammo.
    5) Those secret weapons in the underground market are too expensive! You should just need to unlock them once and be able to use them in every race.
    6) I ran out of money and lost! They should give money even if you lose the race or get lapped, and repairing shouldn't cost as much.

In short, this very casual remake of Death Rally. If the list above sounds like you, and that's what you want, then by all means, this might be the game for you.

If you were looking for something with the challenge the original Death Rally offered, with fast, close races on the edge between destroying your opponents and being destroyed yourself then you may be disappointed. I was.
  8. Nov 9, 2012
    Well, briefly, this company showed us how to fail to clone it's own game. All cars go at the same speed, Easy/Medium/Hard/Extreme works in a dumb way compared to the DOS version. So many upgrades for so much repetitive and so much failing. Not worth at all, specially if you are looking for the old good Death Rally.
  9. Aug 7, 2012
    I was a huge fan of the original death rally. The steering was a lot better which is the worst of it for me. I get the drifting part but, The camera is too close and doesn't allow you to see what you're doing all that well.

I'd like to know if the critic reviewers actually played this.

The aiming is bad, the repair option is insanely expensive. It gets to a point where you're just
    trying to repair instead of win. Other games will actually give you a better sense of earned victory after spending hours of trying to get the highest score possible, this game just makes you feel dumb every minute of your life while playing it. Cause that's how long the races are. One minute. The original didn't have long races either but, At the very least you had better aim and your car actually felt like it was getting better, instead of worse. You'd hope your next car feels better right? It felt the total opposite for me. It felt even slower and handled even worse and took even more damage. I couldn't bare it anymore, I just had to shut it down. I like to play games until I 100% them, but, when it feels like a grind and a luck match, I'd rather go I feel most games have gotten more casual since the older gaming days, but, This was poorly done, I feel like an option or tweak for steering would be nice also maybe mouse aim, less turns, distracts from the carnage part. Collapse
  10. Aug 7, 2012

I'd like to know if the critic reviewers actually played this.

Death Rally accomplishes its goal to a great extent: it presents an updated version of a loved game, without overdoing it with modernized novelties. [October 2012]
  2. Oct 11, 2012
    Looking for the greatest pick-up-and-play top-down car-combat game ever? This isn't it. [Oct 2012, p.80]
    Modern reincarnation of popular arcade driving gives an overall positive impression – old-school playability brings you a lot of "fast & furious" fun. [Sept 2012]