Deep Black: Reloaded PC

• Publisher: Biart
  • Release Date: Mar 1, 2012
4.0

1. Mar 26, 2012
    Colonel Velasco: "Watch your ass lieutenant."

Lt. Pierce: "I'd rather watch yours, it's much nicer..". If Baird's rambling about lava emulsions had you yawning in GoW, then this is just one of the corker exchanges in store for you in Deep Black. It is not terribly difficult to trace this games' source inspirations, of course Red Ocean (2007) springs to mind - obviously the focus on H2O,
    Colonel Velasco: "Watch your ass lieutenant."

Lt. Pierce: "I'd rather watch yours, it's much nicer..".

If Baird's rambling about lava emulsions had you yawning in GoW, then this is just one of the corker exchanges in store for you in Deep Black. It is not terribly difficult to trace this games' source inspirations, of course Red Ocean (2007) springs to mind - obviously the focus on H2O, deliciously convoluted dialogues and precisely one instance where the game suggests stealth and it is almost mirrored from the aforesaid game. But funnily enough, the most fundamental emulation is drawn from the TPS game-play of Vicious Cycle's Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard. The similarity in the way both games play is uncanny, right down to the AI behaviour - some enemies hang behind cover, others wander into the open and some rush you. And just like Matt Hazard, melee is decidedly clumsy and if there are too many goons around it is real easy to get snuffed because of the awkward hand-to-hand mechanic. The chief difference between the two was in Matt Hazard it was possible to slide into & between cover. However, Deep Black is a game all about compromise, you are dealt a situation with a fairly rigid stream of events and it is up to you to come up with the best solution hopefully resulting in you being the last man standing before the next checkpoint....and believe me, Deep Black can be a real **** goddess with the checkpoint spacing. However, in essence, this is the beauty of the game, the lateral thinking involved - what combination of weapons work best? Maybe it would be wise to hold out on collecting that ammo stash, Should I use that turret or keep grinding from cover? Should I push forwards and try to douse the enemies with Grenades? Deep Black is a game that asks all these questions & rewards the thinking player. You know that old adage "fools rush in" this game lives by that credo, the cautious player is duly rewarded with steady progress. Even though the bulk of the proceedings is grinding through waves of hostiles on land, of course the proverbial hook is the under water sections - these look really fantastic to be honest, the rippling haze effects married with frothing lava pits aglow creates an interesting contrast, and the added depth perception simulation consolidates the complete effect. In these particular sections as well as dealing with frogmen there are also some rather pesky scout drones, some of which can be reprogrammed to fight on your side by means of a tethered harpoon hacking device. Also, the harpoon is used to open underwater gates and doors. All these procedures are done in the tutorial section of the game and are not deviated from throughout the campaign. In sum, Deep Black is a fairly accomplished arcade style shooter built around strict routines to be conquered and I still found it satisfying putting the finishing touches on 'X' boss or simply surviving the hordes, it almost harkens back to hardcore games from yesteryear like Contra, and I like that. Sure, Deep Black is an indie game so some quirks were an inevitability but honestly there was nothing too severe in my opinion. The production values are definitely above average of its type and I was genuinely surprised by the quality of the surround sound & music. Yeah okay, the games' story is for the birds, though I don't see the point in holding it up to scrutiny, and besides some of the one-liners are an absolute riot. So if you are looking for a simple, immaculate arcade TPS or just want to know more about Freudian torpedoes, I feel DBR is really worth considering taking the plunge. it is a bit of a marathon so I recommend taking it in smallish doses and you should be fine.

1. May 14, 2012
    Deep Black: Reloaded features incredibly repetitive gameplay and broken, frustrating shooting. It's devoid of the smoothness in controls and exciting action that made the Gears of War series such a joy to play.
  2. May 11, 2012
    Deep Black: Reloaded shows potential that may never be reached. The proprietary engine shows some promise, and the underwater action isn't that bad compared to what other games try to do. However, the land-based gameplay is quite poor with pretty bad AI, and the hit system lacks consistency. Your hero lumbers around way too much to make the player feel powerful, the weapon variety isn't imaginative or useful, and the water mechanic isn't used for anything interesting. With nothing of value to bring to the table, there's little reason for anyone to pick up this game over other, better executed titles.
  3. May 4, 2012
    After Depth Hunter, Biart shows once again their ability to manage the underwater worlds. Deep Black Reloaded though, is a FPS that has many problems, but it could also be the starting point for more successful products.