8.5

1. Jun 24, 2013
    Simply a great game. The tower defense combat is a nice change of pace from what I normally play. Took a little over 20 hours to beat almost all the maps on highest difficulty. 4 difficulty levels for every map and a NG+. The humor in the writing was great, I did laugh out loud a couple times.
  2. Nov 10, 2012
    If you like tower defense games this is a must-have title. It reminds me a little of Puzzle Quest or Clash of Heroes in that it adds RPG elements to a strategy/puzzle genre with great results. The game is pretty long and has good replay value, including a "new game +" mode that adds extra missions, new cutscenes, etc. It may look simple and retro, but the gameplay is among the best, the music is very good, and the humor is a nice touch. The price may seem a bit steep given the 16-bit graphics, but it's well worth that price. I have 33 hours logged on the game so far and I'm maybe 1/4 through New Game+. Expand
  3. Jul 14, 2013
    One of the best Tower Defense games ever made. Fun RPG gameplay mixed in with the classic TD formula of a set path for enemies to walk (i.e. no mazing) with upgradable "towers" and little to no "tower juggeling" makes this a must have for every TD fan out there. The game also offers a pretty decent story (not something that TDs are known for to have) which is a nice addition.
  4. Jul 2, 2013
    Wow, what a great little game. I just got it because it was only 5 dollars, and it looked and sounded very interesting. What a shock that I'm having more fun by far than I did with Diablo 3 or SimCity. Worth every penny; it would be worth every penny if I'd have paid $20.

If they made a version with much better graphics, I'd rebuy it in a second. In fact, if they did a DQ2 with
    great graphics, I'd pay $40 for the thing in a heartbeat. Expand
  5. Jan 29, 2014
    This a old-school fashion TD game. If you could enjoy the kind of "Kingdom Rush" causal game and wanna more challenge to beat. This game won't disappoint you. But the reason why it get highly recommended is because the game has three special elements which make it able to bring you more fun then normal TD game you ever played. 1 RPG factors: Your role and recruits can all have their own skill line, gears and get more power when leveled up. There are 6 class with 6 skill line, and even different soldiers of the same class could be customized for certain direction under different situation by reassign their skill points( and its quite cheap to reassign points).

2 AI of your atk target:
    Your army will attack foes automatically when they are in range, and you can't lock exactly which one you wanna attack for each soldier. However, each soldier can be assigned a type of its prefer targets(a combination according to foe's distance/HP/speed/armor/viability/buff...). And this mechanism will enable you to maximize overall dmg toward foe or save your hero at critical moment by changing atk targets.

3 Recall and re-position your soldier:
    It is not new to allow selling your unnecessary solider and placing the new one in TD game. But normally, the selling action is passive choice when you don't have enough gold for the new one. While in this game, the total number of each class of your soldier is limited. And thus even you have enough gold/energy to place a new one, you still need to consider the best moment to recall(sell) and reposition it. And in the most of extreme challenge of later game, this is the only way to win since your foes overnumbers your army.

When this three factors mingled together, it means you need to set your general strategy for your gears,soldiers before the battle and adjust your attack/postion strategy during the battle, which may require a lot of micromanagement then most of TD game.
  6. Dec 17, 2012
    This game is fun. I am a tactics game addict, this isn't exactly a tactics game but a tower defense game where you use characters for your towers. These characters have classes and can level up and then be specced certain ways. So with 6 different classes and having up to 6 of each class in a battle, then with different specs per class there is a lot of depth to this simple looking game. Lots of fun!! Expand
  7. Mar 15, 2012
    Great RPG/Tower Defense game that will soon get a lot better as more content will be added. As well as nice incentives to replay the game.

The characters are charming and the game is filled with light humor that kept me smiling during cutscenes.

You can play the long demo for free to see if it suits your tastes.
  8. Jan 27, 2014
    A very enjoyable RPG, where your battles are entertaining tower defense. Humorous writing for character dialog, and even the animation doesn't bother me, which is often does in these "retro" style battles. I find myself wanting to beat every mission on extreme, and take great joy in leveling up enough that normal fights are laughably easy. I'll be sad when I've completely finished the entire game, as then there won't be a reason to going back to previous battles. Very well done game! Expand
  9. Mar 25, 2012
    I would like to start off and say THANK YOU to the makers of this game. My son wanted it so we got it for him did not think he would like it, but i was wrong and glad he show it to me, it is one of those games you can sit back and not have to worry what he is going to be seeing...... I like playing it now to...... can't wait for the updates....... THANKS AGAIN
  10. Nov 28, 2012
    Very solid and entertaining tower defense game with a splash of RPG. Pros: - Fairly long campaign with lots of additional replay value. - Different difficulties require different strategies, but there are many different successful strategies. - Fun combination of standard tower defense (place units, power them up using a resource you acquire by defeating incoming waves) and longer term rpg elements (units level up and unlock abilities, need equipment upgrades, must be recruited before being used).

Cons:
    - Repetitive sound track
    - Difficult to evaluate the impact of unit level-up decisions - decision-making feels somewhat random

All in all, well worth a look if you like tower defense.
  11. Dec 12, 2012
    While I do love tower defense games, I've felt a bit...burned out by the sheer number of them lately. This game, however, is just different enough from the rest to have revived my love of the genre. Its nicely crafted storyline and RPG elements add the perfect touch and encourage you to play "just one more battle". Highly recommended!
  12. Apr 26, 2013
    Probably my favorite all time Tower Defense game, slightly edging out Kingdom Rush and the classic Desktop Defender. Entertaining and well written dialogue. Impressive game play balance. After finishing the game on regular, New Game+ and collecting most of the achievements, I got a good 50 hours of fun out of it.

Not a perfect game, but I hear there's a sequel in the making I'd like to
    see more variety in the enemies, a longer story arc, and the bonuses implemented in NG+ (unique equipment, journal entries and sidequests) available during the regular campaign. Expand
  13. May 25, 2013
    Defender's Quest: Valley of The Forgotten is an very successful mix of classic tower defense games and RPG's. It gives us the tactical part of tower defenses and the character (tower? xD) customisation worthy of an full-blown rpg blended together into a extraordinary game.

What can I say more? I WANT A SECOND PART!
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Apr 16, 2013
    Between its addictive gameplay and sliding difficulty scale, Defender’s Quest offers gamers a great deal for such a small investment of time.
  2. Jan 29, 2012
    It's no accident that Defender's Quest is incredibly fun to play. The team behind it clearly had an appreciation for the genre and knew how to offer something familiar yet fresh. The promise of free content updates has me excited to continue playing. You should strongly consider joining me.