6.6

1. Apr 26, 2013
    Defiance is a game full of potential. At this moment, we have an excellent MMOTPS with good gunplay, many available guns and even more mods. Several kinds of vehicles and rewarding events that require quite some players to participate. When you do such an event, you will notice you won't have ANY lagg, neither you will lose ANY FPS. Most of the bugs that came with the launch are fixed already. Defiance will run parallel with a TV Show with the same name. It's promised that when something important happens in the TV show after it airs, it will affect the game. There have been only two episodes so far, so I couldn't really verify this yet. The best pro might be that Defiance doesn't have a monthly fee, so you will only have to buy it once.
    These were the main pro's, there are some con's as well. The AI is not that smart (but it doesn't mean it's the Mindjack AI), the world could be bigger and the missions are very repetitive.

But overall I had a good experience with Defiance already, and I can't wait for content updates and DLC.
  2. Dec 14, 2013
    I'm not the kind thats fit out for games similar to this but I checked it out and thought it was pretty neat. I'm a little nervous about these MMO types since I was never properly introduced to it and everything in it, so for that I am completely unexperienced in these games in every single way. I hope someday I will get into these games. Very cool game though still. 6/10
  3. Apr 24, 2013
    I have played and enjoyed the game since launch. Glitches have been relatively minor for me, but prevented a higher rating. Login was fast, no que's were encountered, and the game installed easily on an i7 w 16GB of RAM and a 660Ti without any issues.
  4. May 20, 2013
    At the start, the game is a bit meh. I was even pondering if I chose right to pay for the game. But as soon as I reached EGO RATING(lvl if you wanna call it) 300 or up, the game started to become interesting. There are no levels, no mobs with higher level than you, it require skills to kill it. Granted, it will make it easier if you have a uncommon or rare gun...

Think of it as
    borderlands in third person with the ability to modify your guns.

It is quite fun the "dungeons" too, if someone leaves your group, someone else can take its place automatically.

They also have world pvp, where you can actually pvp in the zones where you had your quests, with the mobs hindering or helping you. It's called Shadow war.

There are also arkfalls, where a chunk of the Ark falls and you have to battle through mobs, and the end boss is amazing.

Now the TV show felt very stale and slow in the first episodes, but I believe on the 3rd and up it started to pick up steam. It feels quite like the Star Trek Original Series, where the "drama" and the "story" happened more inside the ship than outside.

So, give it a go... It is worth it, especially because the episode and game tie-in was quite fun, and explained more of the lore.
  5. May 26, 2013
    TL;DR: Overall Defiance is a game which was released much to early due to time issues based on the on air termin of the TV show. However it keeps developing rapidly and definitely is worth a try. Full: At release this game had to fight a great number of frustrating bugs. However most of them have been fixed rendering most negative reviews outdated. While the story might seem short and there are no raid instances so far, Arkfalls and Shadows keep you playing.
    In about 2 weeks sieges will be enabled (they're included in the latest patch) which will be another group of open world events.
    They feature a capture&survival style wave defense.
  6. May 29, 2013
    Its been a few weeks since I bought the game, and I'm still playing it casually. The launch went fairly well for a modern MMO, and I see new content added each week. Lots of different encounter types combined with plenty of weapon types keep the shooter atmosphere from becoming too stagnant.
  7. Apr 17, 2013
    I am surprised at how much fun this game actually is, I was little hesitant at first but I am now hooked. Sure it gets some things wrong like the UI and lack of social interaction (especially on PC) but when you do get a group of people together or even start chatting with clan mates, it really works. Arkfalls are incredible to take part in, watching hundreds of Ark Hunters blasting away at the same objective is a sight to be seen. The solo quests are enjoyable and even more so when a random Ark Hunter who happens by just stops to help you out because he/ she can is brilliant. The weapons and shooting mechanics are great and the EGO customisation is terrific. I think it is unfair the comparisons that this game has to other proper MMO's, I personally wouldnt classify it as an MMO, Im not sure there is a specific classification for this, it fills the middle ground between single player and MMO, and I think it does it quite nicely. I am sure in time with new features to be added (hopefully a revised UI and chat screen for PC) this game will be even more incredible than what it is and I cant wait to see what Trion does with this game Expand
  8. Apr 19, 2013
    People are ragging way too hard on this game, I played this game for 30+ hours heres my score.
    Solo PvE 6.5 /10 (7.5 if your a huge sci-fi nerd like me)
    Solo PvP 8/10 This can only go up with more game modes and maps)
    Co-up PvE 9/10 (um we have guns, cars atvs and a large world to roam collecting loots)
    Co-op PvP 10/10 what cannot be done in solo PvP unless you get lucky is team
    strategy, I have 4 friends and we all PvP together, omg. :D :D :D Expand
  9. Apr 24, 2013
    The graphics could be better but I guess they could be considered good for a mmo. Before I started playing this game I was worried since it's my first mmo since World of Warcraft. WoW basically took over my life and became a part time job for me. Defiance has none of time killing traps that WoW is rife with. There are no mobs or mats to farm. No farming period really. You can play solo if you want. No dungeons to raid and no guildies to have to contend with over loot drops.

The game is worth buying at full price I definitely think you will get your monies worth.
  10. Apr 24, 2013
    This MMOFPS has solid fundamentals: the progression system gives you lots of small rewards without letting players substitute time played and loot for skill, the shooting is as snappy as Borderlands and the vehicles have actual handling models and physics instead of just being speed boosts in disguise.

If they can polish it up some and start releasing stronger content crossing over with
    the show (like the exclusive pre-show content available at launch), they might just have a winner here. Expand
  11. Apr 24, 2013
    Defiance is a good game with a lot of potential, but also many issues. All in all I would give it a 7/10. What I like: - Its fun to shoot things - I haven't really seen a better MMOTPS - PvP was pretty good until the hackers started to take over - Arkfalls were great until the hackers started to take over. - Great Co-Op missions - Interesting story - TV Show tie in (and the show is actually good!)
    - No loading time unless you fast travel
    - Up to a few hundred of players on screen at a time with no lag

What I hate:
    - Slow patch progress
    - Lack of weapon progression
    - Crappy modification system
    - Everything is very expensive and you can buy lockboxes using cash (so you can buy powerful gear, making it P2W).
    - No working chat system
    - Crappy tutorial I had to go outside the game to get into on BASIC game mechanics
    - Lots of bugs, exploits and hackers
    - Lots of server downtime
    - Lack of incentive to PvP or PvE after you finish the main story
    - Very little content. Around 50 hours to "beat" everything
    - No cover or blindfire system in a TPS

If you want to find out more about Defiance, be sure to check out Lex's great Defiance guide http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136738681

Given enough time, I can see Defiance becoming a hit, as it is it's probably not worth it unless you are a huge TPS fan, or love the show (which I am).
    If you can pick this up for around $30, don't hesitate but at $60, it's simply not worth it.
  12. Apr 26, 2013
    I gave this an 8 its a fun entertaining game. Its funny to read reviews that blast it for graphics and voice acting, ha Borderlands was no visual gem either... Plot is very sci fi adventure, I love the idea of this game its very close to great.. its no 10 and thats because of the Perks and weapons lacking depth and or game changing ability... The missions dont feel like a grind untill you want to turn the game off then you realize your never standing around doing nothing. Im not a big MMO guy I hated WOW I played Guild wars for an hour and lost interest, this is not like those games at all... Its not some overly crammed game that requires your hourly attention and constant concern. Its for me a single player game online where other players are there but I just go thru the quests and have fun.. Driving my FLIPPEN 4 wheeler around!!! Expand
  13. Apr 28, 2013
    I have had alot of fun with this title, yes there are bugs but dev's seem to be acting very quickly to fix issues and also have removed quests/mini games cause of bugs within them and say why they did it. It's nice cause many other games leave those in. the launch had some serious issues but those seem to be long gone just a few quests/mini games that are still gone due to the devs fixing them.
  14. Apr 30, 2013
    For something so bold to be taken on, and have it actually succeed in any way is something for the books. Defiance is a game connected to the show, but as of right now not much connecting is going on. We were able to play the episode missions until the first episode aired. Which I think was a good move, others might disagree. But that's about all the connecting that has been going on, I haven't heard or read anything about when the new episode missions will be coming. Could be halfway through the season or at the end of season one completely. Regardless of the storyline, the actual gameplay is brilliant in my book. Fun and intuitive (if you have a controller) I couldn't get a grip on it with a mouse and keyboard. Maybe it was just me, but I was not a fan of the way they set up the controls for the PC. If I didn't have a gamepad I would have been upset. The multiplayer that can be joined whenever in the middle of the main of the game is great. Shadow wars are a blast. The main story is decent. A lot of the same type of quests over and over but it was fun all the same. It actually engrossed me and made me want to keep playing until I beat it and most of the side missions. Which is a huge factor for me. Arcfalls are a damn good time. I love getting together with other players and killing tons of hellbugs or raiders. Bottom line the game is good, not great. Connection to the TV-Series still has to be proven. Gameplay is a good and shooting mechanics are amazing. Expand
  15. Apr 30, 2013
    best game that i have played in the time since i been gaming. The graphics are good. very good game play. story is good in the game. animations in the game is well done..
  16. May 6, 2013
    The game got off to a shaky start but it definitely redeemed it's self!. There were a lot of bugs to start but those are all now patched. The game has great ideas such as arkfalls. Arkfalls keep the entertainment aspect high. You could be driving to finish your quest then out of no where an arkfall lands, you rush to it to fend off hell bugs or to kill the mutants and destroy the crystal, afterwards you get some nice loot, money and xp. There's aspects of borderlands but with 1000's of players instead. It has a great leveling system. Unlike traditional MMO's you can level up your gun types, every time you level up a gun type you get 4 "levels" (EGO rating) But you can also get 10 levels every time you fill your xp bar up. There's a cap of currently 5000 so you'll always have a high level to achieve for a very long time. Expand
  17. May 6, 2013
    You SHOULD defy the negatives. This GAME are amazing. Game resevre the leter 10 Very good game, the battle are really good. punching and kicking lot fun. very good story. Gravity very good game company. i wish for more sequal and dlc.
  18. May 14, 2013
    This game was very well made, apart from the annoying bug which stops a arkfall crystal from spawning.
    The overall story line was ok, after you are with the story however all that remains are arkfalls and side missions, which are mostly the same.
    If you want new content you will have to wait until the next episode is out, then you get like 3 side missions related to the episode which are
    different then usual, i like this approach but after 2 days these missions are removed from the game, that's annoying.
    Overall this game is ok/good, critics concerned you could say any game is bad, my gaming experience however tells me this game is awesome, i would give it a 8 or 8.5 but since the overall rating are to low if you ask me I'll rate it 10, which considering all the hard work put into such a game is certainly just.
  19. May 22, 2013
    I think this game is quite underrated. People always expect a game to be flawless upon release, which is quite frankly not possible.
    Defiance has a great potential which it is not using fully yet, but the pace at which bug fixes game improvements and patches in general are thrown out at the moment make this game improve on a steady pace. More importantly, these patches actually contain
    useful stuff that enhance your gaming experience and the next major patch is already on its roll.

As far as it goes for content, there is a fair amount out already and the story can be quite enjoyable if you don't hammer away the cinematics.

If you play Defiance with a friend or two, you can have a good time.
  20. May 26, 2013
    Great Game, Borderlands meets World Of Warcraft, as with any new MMO it needs some work, mostly on the questing side as it gets repetitive, the game has tons of potential and I hope the developer takes advantage of it.
  21. May 28, 2013
    Bugged. Its very bugged. AI isnt... good enough for a shooter, but normal for a mmo. This game is need to be polished, added with a new quests, more interesting and original ones, may be more graphic settings, PvP modes, PvE content etc. But its freaking awesome Sci-Fi with fascinating gameplay. Srsly. I love sci-fi games and this one too. I want to love it and play it despite all this bugs, polishing fails etc. I really believe this game will be much better with numerous patches and ofc dlc's. And Trion didnt fail in gameplay part of this game what is most important. Its really good shooter, "refined shooter" and you get pleasure and fun playing Defiance and doing all this ark hunter's stuff. I put 9 because its game with great potential. Now its 7 imho. But im waiting for a moment this game becomes 9. It will be. Expand
  22. Jun 12, 2013
    pros: open world ,lots of weapons, third person view and you shoot a lot of enemies I think its great its like earth defense force 2017/insect Armageddon meets borderlands.

cons; if you were expecting a full blown RPG well... its not
  23. Jun 28, 2013
    It has a engaging story with plentiful side missions. I feel as if there is not enough tie in to the show as advertised. It has an enormous map on the consoles, but on the PC it is very small for an MMORPG. The game has plenty bosses (Arkfalls) but they feel repetitive because it is the same boss constantly. PvP in the game is very underrated because there are varied maps, many weapons, and great gameplay. Expand
  24. Jul 4, 2013
    A good story tie in and some great shooting mechanics make this game a fun and enjoyable title that with time I think will become better and better. My only gripe is the boring questing but I think that's comes with most mmo's.
  25. Jul 17, 2013
    Pros: Gameplay, Co-op, Story and Episode missions, Post-Apocalyptic setting.
    Cons: Arkfall events becomes a bit dull after a time, Graphics, no Defiance town (no cities at all in fact).

At first I was reluctant to try Defiance because of the critics, but I decided to check it anyway and I'm glad I did.
    I have played a lot of MMos in the past, Daoc, AO, WoW, GW, to name a few but
    Defiance feels really unique compared to them thanks to his Fps/Tps gameplay, it's really a refreshing change. It feels like a bit like Borderland gameplay wise (not as good of course but still good).

The game world is large enough and there's a lot of things to do. (side missions, races,...)
    Arkfall events becomes a bit dull after a while, they're similar to the events in GW2.
    The story is really good though, with good voice-over and all. The Co-op missions are quite fun too. (they're like Dungeons)

The game is set in San Fransisco bay and not in St Louis (Where the city of Defiance is) Which is a weird choice, but I hope we'll be able to visit Defiance in future DLC's, If they are as good as the original content, I think I'll be playing this game for a while.

I would recommend this game to those who like Borderland-like gameplay and to the Fallout fans (like me) who enjoy exploring a post-apocalyptic world.
  26. Jul 28, 2013
    Defiance keeps me coming back. Unlike other games where it's a constant grind to get level after level, I feel like a partner in the game. I can pickup anywhere and join in a fight and leave no questions asked. Totally fun.
  27. Aug 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game can't be decreed simply. Rather by a complex formula of reviewing. The game is great on pc playing arkfalls make e feel the community is good and each person is striving to be better than the others but at the same time willing to drop by lending a helpful hand. Second it is actually rewarding to play PVP for this game for strictly co-op people like myself for bonus exp ego levels and pursuit reards such as cool echelon uniforms. However i will say character customization was console biased because of the fact some players clearly stuck to the defaults. Also i will say the game can be glitchy but not drastically. And said glitches can be resolved simply waiting moving your shooting or jumping. Characters are either good or mediocre for example this girl who wanted revenge is so angry she hates the world except her room mate. Then there is the good ones like John cooper who started ot as a okay guy just irritated at the people who constantly call him when a raider walks through there yard stealing their chickens. Who then ttys to save the world by helping you get the ark core and thne hating Von Bach for making him see his friends die then later killing of one of his own friends. Then their is ego who i think has Bi polar disorders and/ or split personality syndrome because first she is concerned about you living then she is showing signs of insanity when i killed some 99ers and then says "do they have any spare parts i could use a upgrade" or on the co-op mission explosions 101 after the echelon girl gets shot through the temple and you the ark hunter have to set up the explosive she says "sweet! i was hoping we would get our hands on these things lets blow some stuff up!" only to later say "I'd prefer to see the explosion at a distance." This actually made me question my character not because he is listening to everybody in hopes of retiring to Antarctica but rather because there methods are strange kill everybody hack the system and all that but the show no remorse or enjoyment. either they are emotionless or the save it for the emotes you use to say thank you to player. However though the biggest reason people flip out about this game is it is repetitive. I find no problem in a game being repetitive as long as it is fun. Besides if you hate a game on repetitive then what about call of duty. Specifically older ones with only one or two different section using vehicles in such or rather in halo where everything is kill stuff use vehicles to kill stuff and the two good kill the scarab missions where your on foot. So if you hate a game based on that then why note most shooters? where there is only different level that is so memorable. However the areas look the same except the ones you have to care about they look good like the docks and the smeltery. in short the game is fun even if you find yourself alone in the corner of this huge world all you got to do to find other people summon your good looking vehicle and drive to the nearest and biggest ark fall and gang up on hell bugs. or rather get your Friends this game play through it help them level up and smash the biggest baddy you can find and loot the great weapons and look like a genuine bad ass along the way. Expand
  28. Nov 11, 2013
    This is one of those games that did not live up to its full potential, it is fun,and for someone who is new to MMOs a great experience, but if you are an avid MMO player this might not be the best idea, but for 10$ this game is great.
  29. Nov 16, 2013
    Great atmosphere.
    + A world that matches.
    + No auto aiming or stupid Skill clicking.
    + For an MMO it has a nice graphic (not great but nice)
    + Great system for multiplayer events. (The Arcfall Events can reach an extraordinary epicnes)
    + Lots of different weapon types.
    + Nice story.
  30. Nov 21, 2013
    I think that most of the problems that people talk about when they have one with Defiance have been fixed. I waited to pick the game up until it went on Steam sale and it is one of the best game buys I have made in a long time.

I read all about everyone saying that there is this bug or that bug, but I have about 50 hours of gameplay now and only ran into 1 which was corrected by
    relogging. There are many little tiny things with the game that I wish were changed but it doesnt take away from the running around and shooting that is Defiance. They are small things with like menu navigation or how loadouts work. But it doesnt take anything away from gameplay.

With the price sitting at 9.99 and no monthly fee, all i want to know is... Can you afford not to try it?
  31. Apr 7, 2014
    Defiance is how Grand Theft Auto Online should be. Everything is smooth, people cooperate in the free roaming world instead of griefing and killing you, while PvP is possible in the PvP events, as it should be! The world is nice, the graphics are good, shooting, driving physics are good. A lot of content makes you want to roam the world more and more. I don't like sci-fi at all, but Defiance is the exception I like to make. Expand
  32. Jan 5, 2014
    FANTASTIC!!! Great story, graphics, mechanics, and gameplay!!! I think this game as come a long way since it has been released, making a lot of the past reviews outdated. I was actually shocked at the poor ratings. This game has brought me so much fun and enjoyment! One of my favorite MMO's of all time. Yeah that's right. Well worth the price of $10. If you wait for a sale on steam (it was $5 this past winter sale) than even better! Expand
  33. Jan 20, 2014
    This game has the absolute WORST UI I've ever seen -- EVER. You won't be able to see chat unless you stop doing whatever you're doing and hit ENTER -- good luck trying to communicate with people in the heat of battle. Supposed to have a voice chat system built in, but neither my husband nor I were ever able to get it to work. You'll probably have better luck using Ventrilo or Teamspeak.

Gameplay is incredibly repetitive. Do a mission. Turn it in. Go do an arkfall. Now go do a siege. Do another mission. Rinse. Repeat. And since there are only about 3 or 4 mob models in the entire game, it gets very old very fast. Seriously. You shoot the same stuff from level 1 to level 1000+.

There are 4 player archetypes to choose from, but they ALL do the same thing. The only way to really be viable is to pack as much DPS as possible. There is NO support for alternative play-styles.

My advise? Don't bother. Go play Warframe it's so much more fun and has way more variety.
  34. Apr 24, 2013

- Lack of incentive to PvP or PvE after you finish the main story
    - Very little content. Around 50 hours to "beat" everything
    - No cover or blindfire system in a TPS

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Defiance may be an ambitious project. Linking an online action game with a TV-series is a smart idea but one that here mostly comes of as a mere gimmick. The story is unengaging and the action mediocre and monotonous. Not to say anything about the myriad of bugs that utterly destroys the experience.
    It’s an addictive game that seems to become even better as you play. If it keeps getting the right support and if the tie-in with the TV series proves successful, we might have a game that will keep us occupied for a lengthy amount of time. [May 2013]
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    If Trion can introduce better quest design, this will be a winner. [June 2013, p.88]