Defiance PC

6.5

1. Apr 3, 2013
    Pros: Great shooting mechanics, enormous weapon variety and kit customization. Instanced PvP and PvE are great fun.

Cons: Quests are repetitive, annoying crafting interface. Currently at 250 EGO (max EGO aka level is 5000), put maybe at least 12 hrs into this game since release. Shooting mechanics are great which is VERY important for a game like this, quests are a little boring

Cons: Quests are repetitive, annoying crafting interface.

Shooting mechanics are great which is VERY important for a game like this, quests are a little boring but pretty much standard fare for a MMO (tbh, it doesn't bother players like me who spam Esc through all the cutscenes and don't read a goddamn thing because we play for the sake of progression). Both instanced PvP and PvE sessions have been great fun. There are "damage meters/scoreboards" so you can see how you stack with your friends.

Solid game, add +1 rating if playing with friends.
  2. Apr 2, 2013
    Defiance is a game/TV series tie-in with a deal between Trion Worlds and the Syfy channel. The game is set in a futuristic post apocalyptic Earth. The player is an Ark Hunter who has survived a starship crash. An Ark Hunter is a specialist in survival, combat and tracking. The players aim is to salvage arktech and use it in their goal of protect the Earth from the creatures created by aDefiance is a game/TV series tie-in with a deal between Trion Worlds and the Syfy channel. The game is set in a futuristic post apocalyptic Earth. The player is an Ark Hunter who has survived a starship crash. An Ark Hunter is a specialist in survival, combat and tracking. The players aim is to salvage arktech and use it in their goal of protect the Earth from the creatures created by a failed terra-forming of Earth.

Defiance gives a completely fresh and new to the MMO-Shooter genre in the fact that it focuses primarily on Player versus Environment (PvE) content. There is a large amount of content that the player is able to experience within Defiance, in a very large open world environment. Their dynamic content is extremely fun to play, using the RIFT content and twisting it to fit this new environment. The ground breaking link between game and TV show is a very interesting idea and it will be great to see how this progresses.

I feel that the overall gameplay of Defiance is extremely polished and fun to play. It makes it easy for someone who is used to MMO’s who doesn’t normally play shooters feel right at home. MMO’s are my favoured genre and I found it easy to get in to and enjoy Defiance, not typically being a shooter player. This could be due to the simple and easy to follow tutorial in the game.

However, there are certain shooter features which are sorely lacking in Defiance, prominent ones being the lack of a prone option, as well as no active cover options, like hugging and popping out from behind a wall. Addition of one or both of these would be a valuable addition to the game and could make the game play even more interesting. Furthermore, I personally dislike the camera view, I have never been fond of the ‘over the shoulder’ camera as to me it makes aiming feel wrong, and doesn’t seem like you are really aiming as the character, I would feel more comfortable with a true third person camera angle, from behind the character, or first person. The UI also feels rather clunky and less than intuitive on PC, having clearly been built primarily with consoles in mind.

The fact that Defiance is being released on PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 will allow for people of both the MMO and shooter fan bases all coming together in a single game. Though, of course, these platforms will all be playing separate from one another. I would expect that the consoles will see more of the shooter fan base, and as such more Player versus Player (PvP) action. However, on PC I would expect that the game will be played more by the MMO fan base, and as such I would think that the PvP experience would be a little sparser.

Having said that, Defiance has two options available to aid with initiating PvP, there is the typical small scale instanced battles that MMO players will be well attuned with, as well as a large open world PvP option known as the shadow war. The shadow war allows players to fight one another and claim control of territory, the more people who join the battle, the larger the area of combat becomes. Also, as more people join the shadow war more vehicles become available for use, some of which will include weaponry to aid in combating your adversaries. This could be an extremely fun way to play PvP and fight against your fellow players, rather than alongside them.

I feel that Defiance is a great game and should at least be given a chance by both the MMO players and shooter players out there. It really is revolutionary to the genre, linking the game in with a TV show and all of the dynamic content available. It is also very refreshing to see an MMO-Shooter which focuses on PvE rather than PvP. I look forward to seeing how this progresses, and whether both the game and TV show will be able to endure together.
  3. Apr 2, 2013
    A few hours in and I am glad to say I am pleasantly engrossed thus far, The massive co-op quests that are a constant in the world are my favorites thus far. I played beta on Xbox and I am now playing the PC version it is much better looking graphically, from a control stand point it seems it was made more console friendly. Overall I would say it is worth giving it a go.
  4. Apr 2, 2013
    One of the rare MMO's that actually grips you in the story, flawless launch so far which you never see in mmos ever. Nice customization, weapons, loving the vehicles.
  5. Apr 3, 2013
    Having beta tested and played MMOs for close to a decade, alongside the obligatory 'A' Solo titles like Skyrim, Borderlands 1 and 2 DLCs, Far Cry series, all the Bioshocks I feel I can contribute a good sense and feel for Trion's Defiance.

Any launch of an MMO has issues. Star Wars:The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2, heck even World of Warcraft vanilla, were not perfect on day-1 of retail release. Either the launch or pre-order advance play launches were so packed, you couldn't log-on, or many of the difficult to reproduce beta bugs, exposed to 10,000x the players, actually did surface as major game play bugs and impeded enjoyment and playability. This is the nature of MMOs it's always a work in progress, and only get better with time. We can't compare this barely '1.0' title to an almost-nine year old WoW with about 100 person years of development time and tweaking or other similar titles. One must know, going in to a new MMO, that you're an investor and a pioneer. You are investing in a title that, in due time, will mature and improve. If you're not keen on this investment, then likely the best route for you is to continue to play the mature titles, and come back to this after several months of patches.

I for one, am a believer, and an investor I gave some cold hard cash to support the developers, as I they have earned by trust and respect with their other fun and refined titles, such as Rift. I would be quite tickled if 'some other mmo' out there competed for my time and dedication, instead of sinking yet more hours, days and years into World of Warcraft.

Sure, it's hard to re-invent the wheel; but why fix something that isn't broken. The wheel is fine, but we can work on better tires, better axles, better suspension, and rims. That is where I see Defiance, Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2, and other titles. They offer some changes and mix things up; Alright, so it's still all about the quests, and turn-ins, grinding and killing mobs, loot drops, money drops, and we buy and sell, but Defiance isn't trying to re-invent MMOs, they're offering some extra features that enhance the generic.

I'm going to wait and see how future patches change, tweak, perfect it; meanwhile, I have no issues providing Trion some remuneration for their hard work, and motivate them to keep improving it. Much like SW:TOR a fairly horrid product initially, and it felt like a beta 4-months into Retail with no end-game content, but after a year and its f2p conversion and micro-transactions, it's actually pretty good now. Besides, WoW has micro-transactions, but they're tied into links from the Launcher app, to a web store portal.

Microtransactions and free-to-play is likely the model to come for the foreseeable near-future; until another model surfaces. WoW is the Apple of the gaming world; they are bucking the trend and generating earnings where the other 90% of their respective industry does not and are operating at a loss. The wheel will likely be re-invented at some point; for anti-gravity hover pads or some such. For now, i'm pleased to be a part of the re-invention; and I like seeing what developers are coming up with, to buck the trend.
  6. Apr 2, 2013
    An engaging sci-fi story with the wild enjoyment of Borderlands only with 1,000 friends instead of four. If you're the type of person to get caught up in fevered loot-hording, third person action and large scale PvE and PvP give it a shot.
  7. Apr 2, 2013
    If you've been waiting for a new and refreshing MMO experience, look no further, TRION Games has done it again.

Background: long-time WoW player (4-5 years); played RIFT for about 5 months; SWTOR for about 4 months; TSW for about 1 month. Too many others to list. TL;DR: I have vast experience when it comes to MMO and would consider myself a hardcore player (30 hrs+ per week). I'm

I'm simply going to go over what I feel are the most important factors that people look for in an MMO:
    1. Gameplay: the hitboxes are accurate. Not 100% accurate but if I'm aiming for a headshot with the sniper rifle/AR/shotgun (yep, shotgun), it registers the hit accurately. This was my biggest fear that TRION developed an MMOFPS where the FPS part would be horrible. How does it feel? Well, imagine the accuracy of Gears of Wars 2 and 3 weapons with even more accurate hitboxes when you're landing hits. Basically, skill does matter in Defiance and you're simply not required to press 1, 2, 3, E, A or whatever to get your combos off since you're not restricted by the cooldowns of the skills you place on your hotbar. It's a very solid experience all in all and I'm very happy that the game, at the very least, is functional in the MMO department.

2. RPG-elements: a question that still remains on everyone's lip is "does this game have the typical depth expected of a good/great MMORPG?" Surprinsingly enough, it *seems* like it. Now, I want to emphasize on the "seem" a bit: I played the game for about 12 hours now and I've only maxed out three "skills" (one which increases your critical damage when you're crouched, another which increases the damage you do against monsters who are rushing towards you, and another that increases drops when I perform critical kills) which you then assign into "perks" slots. Take the perks that you'd find in your typical over-the-shoulder third-person shooter, sprinkle a bit of RPG-flavored stats on them, and voila, you've created enough depth to give me at least a solid month of playtime. And when I say solid month, I'm expecting to be playing this game 4-6 hours on a daily basis and even longer on weekends. Before you start the game, you're given the choice of 4 powers that will be assigned to your 1 key: Cloak (makes you invisible); decoy; run faster and deal more melee damage; and, last but not least, an ability that increases your shooting damage by 10%+ for a few seconds.

You will be inquired to pick a power during the tutorial but the "EGO" perks are designed in such a way that you should be able to unlock all skills (although you can only use one at a time) after a few months of playtime. In terms of gearing up, you'll have access to a primary and secondary weapon slot as well as the possibility to spawn a vehicle wherever you want (even in some indoor areas surprisingly), put on armor, and a grenade. You can add mods to your weapons such as recoil reduction, increased crit dmg, and the standard stuff. Ultimately, the possibility for in-depth gearing up is there and the weapon selection so far is enormous.

3. Longevity: I mentioned the game's longevity during the RPG-elements section and I'm confident that this game will provide me a solid month's of game time at the minimum. For a casual player, a "solid month" would provide easily minimum 2 months of gameplay. There's a lot to go through and explore. And if you live in the Bay Area like I do, it's very refreshing to "explore" the game world which is closely integral to real-word Bay Area.

Conclusion: last night was the first time in an MMO that I was able to cover my friend in "real-time." We weren't "in combat;" monsters were popping left and right like a shooter; my friend had to dash across a parking lot to turn off an alarm and from a windowsill, I was providing sniper fire which allowed him to make it through the parking lot and complete the quest. This was the FIRST TIME I experience a "real-time" quest with dynamic monsters that created a refreshing experience.

Defiance borrows heavily from GoW, Borderlands, Rift, and traditional MMO elements. TRION successfully fused all these elements together and have provided a very, very solid game in return.

If you're still on the fence after reading my review, answer the following questions with a 'yes' or 'no;' if you answered 'yes' to more than two questions, honestly, just do yourself a favor and go buy the game (also no monthly subscription is required which is a huge plus): do you like Borderlands 1 or 2? Do you like Gears of War 1/2/3? Do you like Rift/WoW/The Secret World/Guild Wars 2? Do you like crisp/accurate shooters with hitboxes that register correctly?
  8. Apr 2, 2013
    Très bon jeu. Rien de très innovateur, la l'exception de l'univers dans lequel on nous plonge qui est, tout même très intéressant. Cependant, le gameplay est solide et les cartes du monde sont immenses. Bref, jusqu'à maintenant, j'aime beaucoup
    J'ai très hâte de voir le "show" qui y est attaché.
  9. Apr 2, 2013
    Defiance is everything that The Secret World SHOULD have been, with more. It has a compelling story with characters that evolve through-out the missions, giving them the feeling that you "know" them to some degree. The ability to drive around in cars, trucks, and quads gives the game an added fun factor with all of the cool things you can do with them (like crazy jumps and 360's).

The

The Arkfall system is very akin to Rift's in RIFT and award every player doing the missions there, without the need to be in a group. Even the main missions (quests), do not require you to be grouped to get credit, which is pretty awesome.

There is so much to love about this game, that it is hard to list it all. It is worth trying for yourself.
  10. Apr 2, 2013
    Everything Tabula Rasa should have been. An immersive MMO with tight shooting mechanics and compelling missions. There is a lot of game here, and it's a blast!
  11. Apr 9, 2013
    This game promisses but not deliver, a crappy pc port, trion do not respond tickets when they respond they say the problem is resolved when it is not. If you intend to buy pass this one out.
  12. Apr 2, 2013
    Most innovative MMO in a LONG time, not just another stupid WoW clone. And the fact that it's tied in with the show and your character could end up being IN the show.....that's just neat as hell. Awesome weapons and vehicles also. Smooth gameplay and good graphics also.
  13. Apr 7, 2014
    Defiance is how Grand Theft Auto Online should be. Everything is smooth, people cooperate in the free roaming world instead of griefing and killing you, while PvP is possible in the PvP events, as it should be! The world is nice, the graphics are good, shooting, driving physics are good. A lot of content makes you want to roam the world more and more. I don't like sci-fi at all, butDefiance is how Grand Theft Auto Online should be. Everything is smooth, people cooperate in the free roaming world instead of griefing and killing you, while PvP is possible in the PvP events, as it should be! The world is nice, the graphics are good, shooting, driving physics are good. A lot of content makes you want to roam the world more and more. I don't like sci-fi at all, but Defiance is the exception I like to make. Expand
  14. Jul 15, 2013
    best game i ever played a open world borderland expirenc with over 100 players if you ahve played border alnds you must play defianc if youre a fan of the TV series this is a most get
  15. Aug 20, 2013
    So far for me it's a great game. the story and gameplay has certainly captured me and i love the way you automatically help each other on missions if you are in the mission area together.
    no more waiting for your turn to complete a mission.
    no more waiting for your turn to complete a mission.
    And the idea that the games story and environment will change according to what happens in the tv-series is an innovative twist that only helps to make the game that much more exciting.
  16. Apr 10, 2013
    This is one of the best mmos out at the moment i know that's not saying much but its fun got good shooting and just all round a good fun game i wish there was customization at the start like hair Armour color etc but i think its a great game
  17. Apr 10, 2013
    I really enjoyed the openness of this game, jumping from one quest to another while other people helping me take on some grotesque alien boss! It may take a little while to actually get into, but once you get in the action it becomes a great deal of fun. The only reason i was slightly dissapointed with the game was due to the awful patcher which reduced my download speed far beyond of it'sI really enjoyed the openness of this game, jumping from one quest to another while other people helping me take on some grotesque alien boss! It may take a little while to actually get into, but once you get in the action it becomes a great deal of fun. The only reason i was slightly dissapointed with the game was due to the awful patcher which reduced my download speed far beyond of it's usual rate. I think overall it took me 12 hours to download after 3 failed attempts. Expand
  18. Apr 3, 2013
    Lets get the cons out of the way: Limited graphical customization, dated and poorly implemented graphical tech (lacks most modern features), low resolution textures, clunky movement, terrible animations, amazingly bad UI (to log out you have to press escape, hold space, select an option from a radial menu, select an option from a menu bar, and then you can actually click the log outLets get the cons out of the way: Limited graphical customization, dated and poorly implemented graphical tech (lacks most modern features), low resolution textures, clunky movement, terrible animations, amazingly bad UI (to log out you have to press escape, hold space, select an option from a radial menu, select an option from a menu bar, and then you can actually click the log out button.), and bad voice acting. Now, after that what could possibly be good about the game? The answer is: everything else, most importantly the game play. The game is a very fun experience. Think borderlands on a massive scale. Loot drops are prevalent, instanced to each player (which is a good thing as it stops loot rushing), and interesting. Enemies are varied and interesting. The weapons are fun and flashy (outside of your standard shotgun/pistol/rifle guns). The powers are useful and unique. The weapon customization is in-depth, but not obfuscated. The story is interesting (bad voice acting and animations aside). The art itself is amazing (even if the technology that renders it isn't). The back-story and lore to the world is creative and very detailed. I could keep going, but I think you get the picture. Will you like this game if you value graphics and presentation above all else? No. Will you like this game if you enjoy solid gameplay, a good story, and a world with detailed lore to back it? Yes. Overall: Gameplay 10/10, Story 8/10, Graphics 6/10, Animations 3/10, Sound 6/10, Voice Acting 5/10, UI 4/10, Weighted Total (gameplay out-weighs most everything else) 8/10. Expand
  19. Apr 4, 2013
    Defiance is fast and fun. But it is not like a Borderlands MMO, Guild Wars 2 styled, it's something in between. This game is average... not meat not fish, but fun. It needs more deeps Items and details (world).
  20. Apr 4, 2013
    Defiance is an MMO that is based on the t.v show also named Defiance. In the game, you play as an ark hunter who's role is to salvage arkteck from arkfalls. Arkfalls are random events that happen across the map, very similar to the rifts in the game rift. Defiance also features a campaign with voice acting (hit and miss) and cut scenes.

Graphics- Compared to other mmos defiance isn't

Graphics- Compared to other mmos defiance isn't making any leaps in graphical fidelity. However, it runs well maxed out a radeon hd 6770 1gb. from my 15+ hours of game play I noticed very very few graphical errors. Overall, I think they could have pushed the details of the pc version a little further, but its not a big concern.

Sound- Some gun sounds sound a little pop gun-ish. Also there have been a couple sound errors where it would keep playing the fight music long after Ive finished fighting.

Bugs- So far in my 15 hours of playing the only bug Ive encountered was getting stuck twice. There is no unstuck command but logout/login fixes it. Other than that Ive only noticed a few animation hitches.

Support- Don't worry that because its multiplatform it'll only get 3 patches a year. So far, there have been 3 patches since Tuesday to fix up a few bugs.

Microtransactions- Yep, the normal deal, lockboxes(which are really easy to get with in-game currency), xp-boosts, cosmetics, vehicles, inventory slots.

Subscription- nope, 1 time purchase. Buy and play like guild wars.

interface and controls- Well, this game has an great map features including waypoints that highlight the shortest route. the rest of the interface is very easy to get a grasp on. Another thing to comment on is the native controller support, Its a big deal to some.

Gunplay- Defiance does not share the same combat mechanics of a traditional mmo( tab to lock on, press 2,3,5, and 2 again, enemy dead yay) instead, Defiance shares many similarities to third person shooters. you shoot people or mutants in the head for criticals, and hellbugs have a variety of weakspots to exploit.

Gun Progression-Guns in defiance are very cool, and there are 1000's. The more you use a type of weapon (ie shotgun or pistol) the better your character is with that weapon type. ranking up a weapon type gives you flat bonuses to crit damage, recoil reduction, etc. Also, there is a synergy bar for each individual gun that gives you additional bonuses to that weapon. Another feature in defiance is the ability to mod your gun with attachments. the different attachments are stock, magazine, barrel, and scope. Keep in mind some weapons can only have the stock and barrel modded, while some might only let the magazine get modded.

Character progression. Your EGO or Environmental guardian online alters your DNA to make you fight better. Basically you kill things=xp, missions =xp and so on. you get ego points from xp and this are used to either enhance your active ability (overcharge, blur, cloak, or decoy) or to invest some points in a heaping load of passive sub skills. you can only have a certain amount of passive skills equipped at a time, kind of like the secret world but not really.

Arkfall events, Holy cow- Random events happen in defiance called arkfalls. this is when ark teck falls from the sky from all the space debris in orbit or something. Anyway its not instanced and anyone can jump in and help at any time. which is insane. its not uncommon to see 60-70 people at one arkfall boss.

Shadow war- Epic scale (64v64) pvp. only tried it once and it seemed to be a 20 v 20 unbalanced capture the point mode. it was alright.

Missions- sadly, This is where Defiance is lacking. the missions even though voiced can feel repetitive, especially the side missions.

Im running out of space so I have to skip a bunch.

All in all, I would recommend this game to loot junkies, mmo players, and team players. If you're looking for a great single player experience go play the witcher series (If you haven't you should be beaten)

8/10 for bringing a straight up shooter to the mmo genre. It has potential.
  21. Apr 5, 2013
    I'm content with Defiance so far and as a long time Rift player it is obvious Trion cares and wants to make great games even if there are a few hiccups along the way. It will be interesting to see how the tv show and game work around each other, and I think my only question, that's too soon to answer at this point, is whether this game will hold peoples long term interest. The PC releaseI'm content with Defiance so far and as a long time Rift player it is obvious Trion cares and wants to make great games even if there are a few hiccups along the way. It will be interesting to see how the tv show and game work around each other, and I think my only question, that's too soon to answer at this point, is whether this game will hold peoples long term interest. The PC release has been pretty smooth overall and I have not run into any major issues so far. Expand
  22. Apr 4, 2013
    Defiance is for the shooter/adventure crowd, and its just so happens its a MMO as well. If this game was without the depth of an MMO it would be a 5/10. No crafting system but that's cool, since all I want to do is kill mobs and get loot. The atmosphere reminds me of Age of Conan not as good but close, the game play is very close to Gears of War but watered down to give you a more MMODefiance is for the shooter/adventure crowd, and its just so happens its a MMO as well. If this game was without the depth of an MMO it would be a 5/10. No crafting system but that's cool, since all I want to do is kill mobs and get loot. The atmosphere reminds me of Age of Conan not as good but close, the game play is very close to Gears of War but watered down to give you a more MMO experience but very addictive. The story is of a RPG caliber, engrossing and fresh.

The character customization leaves much to be desired. Voice acting needs work, graphics and sound needs polish, with all its cons Defiance will be sorted with nurture patches and I am glad I've bought and now playing this marvel of a game.

I became so tired of the standard MMORPGs currently available, Defiance is a most welcome change, now just to try and have my friends join in on the action.

Most importantly its fun and addictive.
  23. Apr 5, 2013
    For a newly released MMO, Defiance feels pretty good.

Visuals are above average for an MMO. The landscape is beautiful in some areas and quite dull in others unfortunately. Some areas of the game just seem to be endless rolling hills. Story missions are well thought out and often very fun and interesting with cut scenes to put things in context. However, the side missions are quite
    For a newly released MMO, Defiance feels pretty good.

Story missions are well thought out and often very fun and interesting with cut scenes to put things in context. However, the side missions are quite the opposite. Side missions mostly consist of "go here and click on this" and seem to exist for the sole purpose of putting you into a firefight.

The combat is WAY more involved than most MMOs and actually requires some skill with aiming and good decision making. I was pleasantly surprised with how different encounters can feel from one to the next, even though you may be fighting the same type of enemy. The Co-op mission, I find, are the funnest type of combat.

Progression seems slower than most MMOS but this is because defiance does not have a traditional leveling system. You can add perks to your character through the EGO system, but most of the meaningful upgrades you will find are new weapons and some of them (such as BMGs, detonators, and injectors) are quite interesting.

There are a few bugs and some polishing that needs to be done. Although in many ways Defiance does feel like a completed game, I still think it was rushed out a bit to release before the TV show did. I feel confident that future patches will resolve some of the minor bugs soon because Trion has always been a very hard working developer.
  24. Apr 4, 2013
    Great game, can't wait for the show. Launch has been solid thus far, have had no issues with connecting. Looks nice, feels nice, and can only get better with time. I hope Trion really holds on to this one and stays with it, it's not perfect.... but it still has so much potential. I knew my life wouldn't be complete unless I bought this.
  25. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is fun! I can't wait to see how it unfolds as the show starts and how it's claimed to be a transmedia experience. It's worth the money, I'm addicted to it and no way is it feeling like you are reaching a cap fast. I can understand the concern of repetitive side missions even using same dialog, but its just like ME3 and fun to break away from episode or main missions. TheThis game is fun! I can't wait to see how it unfolds as the show starts and how it's claimed to be a transmedia experience. It's worth the money, I'm addicted to it and no way is it feeling like you are reaching a cap fast. I can understand the concern of repetitive side missions even using same dialog, but its just like ME3 and fun to break away from episode or main missions. The graphics is great though character models are a little rough in the face. I have complete faith the developer will continue to enhance it. they have shown a lot of care with continuous patches and upgrades already. It has the content, it just depends on if you choose to seek it out. Expand
  26. Apr 4, 2013
  27. Apr 10, 2013
    Game is a good MMOTPS with rpg elements, Some of the Rift feature and amazing filled into nice sci-fi story. PvP in this game is incredible and it possible to use any weapon on any character which makes truly balanced online gameplay
  28. Apr 16, 2013
    Interesting world, addicting combat, horrendous UI, lackluster questing. This game is Borderlands mixed with GTA mixed with Rift. Once the UI and bugs are fixed, this game will be pretty fantastic. Even with it's flat characters, console-created menus and a few unexpected problems, I am having an exciting time in the world of Defiance. I bought it for 42 bucks from greenmangaming and IInteresting world, addicting combat, horrendous UI, lackluster questing. This game is Borderlands mixed with GTA mixed with Rift. Once the UI and bugs are fixed, this game will be pretty fantastic. Even with it's flat characters, console-created menus and a few unexpected problems, I am having an exciting time in the world of Defiance. I bought it for 42 bucks from greenmangaming and I have already gotten my money's worth. Consider checking it out. Expand
  29. Apr 11, 2013
    Engaging story, if you don't skip through it all like I know some do. Quests are go here, defend this, grab this, etc. typical MMO style missions. Still very very fun. If you like third person shooters this is certainly worth a try. Very fun, blew by 8 hours without even noticing. Some of the action kills you find yourself doing gives you a feeling of being very badass. All in all, TrionEngaging story, if you don't skip through it all like I know some do. Quests are go here, defend this, grab this, etc. typical MMO style missions. Still very very fun. If you like third person shooters this is certainly worth a try. Very fun, blew by 8 hours without even noticing. Some of the action kills you find yourself doing gives you a feeling of being very badass. All in all, Trion does a great job of balancing shooter with MMO. Expand
  30. Apr 12, 2013
    Post apocalypse. Aliens. Modern day weaponry to super high tech alien weaponry. Weapon modification (statwise and visually). Awesome 'Mad Max' style chunky vehicles. Large selection of cosmetic outfits to earn. Fun storyline. Excellent atmosphere. Sandboxy world. Super hella fun gunfights! So much room to grow!

Horizontal character progression ie: no grinding out levels to use that new

Horizontal character progression ie: no grinding out levels to use that new awesome weapon you found, its already your level when you find it. Loot in the game is similiar to games like the Stalker series where a given weapon type doesnt do more damage as you level up instead it gets better as you mod it and earn character perks to further increase your combat efficiency not by doing more base damage, but by getting more rounds on target and into those critical hit spots! Finding the same named rifle at high level that you did at low level will not increase its base stats instead it has a higher chance to come with more or all mod slots unlocked already and is more likely to come with multiple built in bonuses and Synergies.

Defiance takes some skill to play its not a 'select target, begin hotkey rotation' game. Its a reflex based thrid person shooter that is just plain old fun to play and the fact that you can play it with the rest of the world just makes it even cooler.

Like just about any MMO game these days its got its share of bugs. Many are avoidable others can hit you without warning. Trion has a massive patch coming first of the week that addresses nearly all of these and more.

My main character is nearly 1500 EGO level and I must say I cannot wait to see whats in store for this game down the road. I know some have found issue with the game from what I see its mainly that the game isnt what those folks expected it to be, which is disappointing Im sure, but it happens. Some folks say theres not enough content right now at release the thing is, this game is a sandbox theres no direction you have to go in if you dont want to. I can spend hours roaming around the world just doing whatever and its just plain FUN!

If an energetic third person shooter with a post apocaplyptic landscape crawling with alien weirdness and memorable characters sounds good to you dont wait, pick up a copy!
  31. Apr 12, 2013
    Once upon a time a game was released that players and critics agreed had a long list of needed features before it would be truly great, in short a game with amazing potential. Like that game Defiance has a long list of features that are missing, not to mention as many bugs, quirks, and complications as just about any MMO ever released.

Like that game, Defiance could one day become the

Like that game, Defiance could one day become the biggest hit MMO ever. What the negative reviews don't tell you is how much they wish the game was already perfect a lack of patience, a demand for immediate satisfaction, no respect for the "life" of an MMO.

No amount of pretty words will sell this game to you, all I can say is if you've taken one look and liked anything about what you saw, do go further and learn more you don't want to miss one of the most unique MMO experiences ever.
  32. Apr 13, 2013
    If you like Guild wars 2's pay model, Plantside 2's giant map, Borderlands gun play style, then you will love this game to no end. There is plenty of progression with fixes and updates everyday. With the addition of the show and a major content patch in the first week of release, I can only see a bright future.
  33. Nov 14, 2013
    seems alright to me, the main reason why i got this game is because my animation teacher worked on it so i wanted to give it a try and steam was having a sale so i got it. i'd recommend it to friends but the game doesn't seem for everyone. BUT one of my favorite things about this is that if someone starts a quest near the time you do, you'll be doing it together, i fell in love with thisseems alright to me, the main reason why i got this game is because my animation teacher worked on it so i wanted to give it a try and steam was having a sale so i got it. i'd recommend it to friends but the game doesn't seem for everyone. BUT one of my favorite things about this is that if someone starts a quest near the time you do, you'll be doing it together, i fell in love with this idea. I never saw this before in a MMO but it probably has been done before. so it makes quests more fun, and you can grow on your teammates and you'll work together more. I highly recommend this game Expand
  34. Nov 16, 2013
    Great atmosphere.
    + A world that matches.
    + No auto aiming or stupid Skill clicking.
    + For an MMO it has a nice graphic (not great but nice)
    + Great system for multiplayer events. (The Arcfall Events can reach an extraordinary epicnes)
    + Lots of different weapon types.
    + Nice story.
  35. Apr 12, 2013
    The story line is engaging, the gameplay is fun, and the locations look nice. People keep in mind that the show hasn't started yet and that is the main source of our story content in-game. If you've finished the content available right now, you'll have more every single week. What Trion NEEDS to fix is the UI, chat system, and clan system. They must add more clan focused content, like realThe story line is engaging, the gameplay is fun, and the locations look nice. People keep in mind that the show hasn't started yet and that is the main source of our story content in-game. If you've finished the content available right now, you'll have more every single week. What Trion NEEDS to fix is the UI, chat system, and clan system. They must add more clan focused content, like real PVE progression and clan battles. They have said they'll add these things, but we don't know when. Give this game a chance, because it's good now and it will only get better from here on. Expand
  36. Aug 31, 2013
    Ok let's start this review with a central statement: Defiance is not a classic MMO.
    It's more accurate to define it as an Online Action TPS. The MMO component is present but you should not buy it thinking it as a classic MMO. There are no classes, gear is limited to weapons, shield, grandes, outfits and headgear is only for costumizing the character. The game is quite fun in solo, and very funny with friends. There are big boss battles with many other players (hundreds), there are vehicles and a lot to explore. the story is OK, not great and a bit repetitive, but it's ok. I always wanted a game like this after Tabula Rasa closed, and this is quite a lot better of TR.
    I payed the game 10 euros, and it's well worth them. I reccomend to buy it at this price is and absolutley great game.
  37. Feb 6, 2015
    Fun game. It doesnt have alot of depth, gameplay is mostly focused on shooting aliens and doing simple missions. But mechanically it is well done. I like the feel of shooting, that there are tons of varied weapons. Storyline tied to TV show is also interesting feature.
    If you seeking for MMO that doesnt require being online alot, and want just to login casually to shoot stuff, Defiance is great game for this.
  38. Apr 3, 2013
    A pretty fun Third-person shooter with fun element, the ark fall event in the game break the standard questing. Graphics could have been better but when an ark fall happen with 100 players at the same time it pretty clear that the reason why the graphic are not top notch is because most computer would not handle it. The gun customization is fun and the game doesn't seems like a rush to maxA pretty fun Third-person shooter with fun element, the ark fall event in the game break the standard questing. Graphics could have been better but when an ark fall happen with 100 players at the same time it pretty clear that the reason why the graphic are not top notch is because most computer would not handle it. The gun customization is fun and the game doesn't seems like a rush to max lvl like most online.

The racing event with vehicle are pretty fun and break the shooting with a different gameplay the challenge with a specific gun with ammo are fun.

I can't wait to see what will happen every week with the show.
  39. Apr 3, 2013
    Has room for improvement but i love where they are taking the genre. I love the action feel like my first 8 hours was non stop action and i couldnt put it down!
  40. Apr 11, 2013
    Have updated my review, this game is a slow grower.. its very worth while indeed. It isn't a MMORPG but it is an MMO. Its compelling, addictive and very absorbing indeed.
  41. Apr 4, 2013
    I was a bit skeptical after reading reviews here. But the game rocks! It is a mixed game type that we have never seen something like before. Flawless launch, outstanding for an MMO. Smooth, no lag, super fun combat, world feels alive, no elves or fairies, common one just has to love this game!
  42. Apr 10, 2013
    I don't understand this reviews. A six hour call of duty have over 80. And a game like Defiance, what has new features and a playtime longer as 50 hours, a game which is perfect to have action with friends. this game become a 6,8???
    But yesterday i found the first german review. it gives the game a 8,5
  43. Apr 3, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. Trion Worlds did a fantastic job of making this MMO shooter have a nice single player feel and multiplayer feel. There is no need to party up with people unless you wish to. Also the storyline and the missions have some weight, and since some of the missions are phased you won't have to worry about having to do a mission all over again, or even havingThis game is absolutely amazing. Trion Worlds did a fantastic job of making this MMO shooter have a nice single player feel and multiplayer feel. There is no need to party up with people unless you wish to. Also the storyline and the missions have some weight, and since some of the missions are phased you won't have to worry about having to do a mission all over again, or even having someone stealing your kill. You are rewarded for assisting your fellow ark hunters, as well all loot that drops is your own loot...not shared loot...so there is no fear of someone ninja looting.

Overall the game is very beautiful to look at, and the shooting mechanics are dialed in quite nicely.

No worry of cooldowns, or a GUI that you end up paying more attention to then the game. If you are looking for a nice shooter with RPG elements, with MMO to boot, then look no further than Defiance.

Also I caught the 15 minute preview of the show and it looks really good.
  44. Apr 3, 2013
    I'm having a blast. I am looking forward to how the series on Syfy will integrate with the game. The battles are fun. Driving around exploring is fun too. I really hope the game does well.
  45. Apr 8, 2013
    Playing over 23 hours so far on the PC version. Still having fun with plenty of variety of things to do. Make sure you do the Episode Missions with the characters from the TV show Nolan and Irisa. They are fun missions with some good rewards and you will be playing a part in one of the key early scenes of the TV show. The first 14 minutes of the TV show are already on YouTube and if you doPlaying over 23 hours so far on the PC version. Still having fun with plenty of variety of things to do. Make sure you do the Episode Missions with the characters from the TV show Nolan and Irisa. They are fun missions with some good rewards and you will be playing a part in one of the key early scenes of the TV show. The first 14 minutes of the TV show are already on YouTube and if you do the TV missions you'll see the early connections between the game and TV show. This whole concept is turning out to be pretty cool. It adds a whole other element to the game. It seems there will be new Episode Missions each week to keep things interesting in addition to the regular stuff. There is a huge variety of awesome weapons to use. The BMG weapons are awesome since they can drain life from more than one enemy and then you can use it to heal yourself. I started with a machinist so I could start with a rapid fire weapon. I picked the invisibility EGO power. It comes in handy when you need to sneak behind enemies to disable generators or just get a quick advantage when you're outnumbered. The vehicles are fun to drive, especially taking jumps off cliffs or bumps. Best combo of weapons so far is to have one sniper rifle and one automatic weapon. I got my BMG weapon from a tier 4 lockbox so it was worth the cost. Make sure to join Arkfalls when they pop up on your map. There are sometimes dozens of players running around in a nonstop action free for all battling monster bugs or mutants. It's fun having the MMO vibe with your friends helping you out as part of your group or just random people jumping into a battle that helps you out when you need it. It's a fun game and I can't wait for the TV show to start! Expand
  46. Apr 5, 2013
    Pretty nice MMO! Don't listen to the naysayers. I'm by no way a fanboy and I can tell you this game rocks! A few flaw here and there but it's normal and Trion is fast for patching. Give it a try, you will not regret it. Unless you want a WoW clone.
  47. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is a very refreshing addition to the MMO scene. There is buckets of content ranging from intricate storyline missions with voice acting to events such as time trials, rampages and Arkfalls. The graphical quality is excellent on high settings, although not very impressive on the lower settings. This may be something to consider if your computer is on the lower end.

The sounds

The sounds are very high quality, during combat there is usually some sort of electronic music with a rather high tempo, which is fitting but may get on your nerves over time. Fortunately it can be turned off in the settings.

There is a lot of customization, although in the beginning modifiable weapons are relatively rare, and usually only come with one or two open slots. But it gets better later on. There are no classes, but you will have to build your character around one of four abilities and the perks it can be connected into. The EGO Grid you do that with, is somewhat reminiscent of The Secret World. Or Final Fantasy X.

The shooting aspect of the game is very responsive and detailed, different weapons have completely different mechanisms instead of being simplified into one functionality. Hit detection is very responsive. When you aim for somebody's head, you hit them in the head. No invisible walls or other weirdness.

World polish is excellent. There are some bugs, mostly to do with certain quest objects taking their sweet time to appear or to respond to you. But the majority can be fixed by logging out of the game and back in, so it doesnt become such a big deal.

The vehicles are also interesting, they're not as crazy as in the Borderlands series, but that can be a bonus also, if you prefer realism over utter madness. The vehicle controls are a bit slow. You can tell that they had to compromise somewhere to release it on multiple platforms, but you should get used to it in the first half an hour or so, since nothing is technically wrong with it.

The interface is probably going to be the only big factor that will divide the public opinion on the game. I didn't have much trouble adapting to it, but I realize that I am not the whole world. You might be a little bewildered by it. The chat windows and such are the same old stuff as in other MMOs though, so you shouldn't have trouble asking for help.

I'm a big fan of the story, definitely worth it listening to all the cutscenes, conversations and reading through things in the game.

This is the first review I've ever bothered to write(maybe it speaks for the quality of the game in itself), so I apologize in advance if it left something unanswered.
  48. Apr 3, 2013
    When Borderlands meets Planetside 2 with a little of the traditional MMO thrown in as well for good measure you get Defiance. I can't give this game a 10 because there are some problems, notably the chat issues and PC's clunky UI but apart from that it's great refreshing fun. There's a very heavy Borderlands feel with the PvE. PvP is new, there's the traditional games you're used to fromWhen Borderlands meets Planetside 2 with a little of the traditional MMO thrown in as well for good measure you get Defiance. I can't give this game a 10 because there are some problems, notably the chat issues and PC's clunky UI but apart from that it's great refreshing fun. There's a very heavy Borderlands feel with the PvE. PvP is new, there's the traditional games you're used to from shooters but added into the mix is Shadow Wars which allows you to fight 48 vs 48 to control points on the map, the same map everyone else is busy fighting PvE (don't worry you don't have to take part) this creates an interesting element as NPCs interact the same to PvP players as they do PvE, you may find a boss helping you defend a point.

Overall Defiance is a new and interesting MMO with great potential to expand it's universe. We've yet to see how the game actually ties in with the TV show but it's something to look forward to and enjoy with the game.
  49. Apr 2, 2013
    This game... its great. The gun-play is perfect. The pvp is fun, especially Shadow War. The co-op is amazing. The story is alright so far, but it can only get better and i trust Trion to do so. P.S. hopefully the tv show is as good
  50. Apr 5, 2013
    Just what I was looking for in an MMO, something that was not another Warcraft or EVE clone. In truth yes, the game is in an early stage and there is room for improvement, and I look forward to seeing where Trion will go with it as time goes on.
  51. Apr 2, 2013
    i really love this game. ive played a lot of mmos out there and none have been able to keep my attention. this games story is on par with any triple A title.

the fact that grouping isnt a chore like in most mmos is even a bigger plus. you never have to be out of the action for long! and for reviewers who want to trash the graphics.. these graphics are actually good and 10 times

and for reviewers who want to trash the graphics.. these graphics are actually good and 10 times better than the console versions. besides, what do graphics have to do with game play?
  52. Apr 3, 2013
    Easily a 10/10 game.
    Takes some concepts from other MMO's and makes them all shine. I expected another generic MMO but what I got was a game with genuine 3rd Person shooter features, A great story and good controls. I'd recommend it to anyone. Huge open world with vehicles, gun customization and many other great things.
  53. Apr 3, 2013
    first MMO I have really enjoyed the gameplay in for a long time. I play a lot of FPS games (Battlefield etc) since good 'ole Counterstrike 0.4, and I enjoyed the shooter mechanics so much I found my self moving from cover to cover sniping mutants with no mission or quest in the area, I just had that much fun just playing the game... For me to have this much fun before my friends havefirst MMO I have really enjoyed the gameplay in for a long time. I play a lot of FPS games (Battlefield etc) since good 'ole Counterstrike 0.4, and I enjoyed the shooter mechanics so much I found my self moving from cover to cover sniping mutants with no mission or quest in the area, I just had that much fun just playing the game... For me to have this much fun before my friends have even bought it, along with the in depth weapon mod system, and the future integration with the television show, I'm hoping I can give this game a 10. Expand
  54. Apr 12, 2013
    I am giving Defiance a 10 only to counteract the negative reviews that have been posted here, it should be about an 8.

While it is not perfect, Defiance is subject to an incredible ignorance. I cannot speak for the PS3 or 360 version of the game but I know for a fact that the PC version goes very unappreciated. I have read several reviews that do not detail the Competitive, Co-op, or Shadow War aspect of the game. I have been in so few competitive matches that do not result in a very close game due to balancing, constant scores of 24-25, 49-50 and even 1490-1500 or 1990-2000.

Unfortunately there is a very shared opinion about the game being incomplete, the game is not incomplete in the slightest but its suffering from its concept of future planning. Defiance has delivered us a base for whats to come. Trion instead decided not to give it to us all at once, especially since the plan is to coincide with the show which people seem to miss. Every MMO is built on giving us content through patches and/or expansions.

The gameplay is extremely similar to Borderlands, which personally I believe should not have a rating higher than this game(mind you Borderlands, not Borderlands 2.). Defiance demonstrates many similar features of Borderlands and then some.

For those strongly considering buying the game the things you need to know is that the gameplay you will come to enjoy is like Borderlands for the main story and side missions, even challenges like Saints Row. There is also a very balanced and challenging competitive multiplayer.
  55. Apr 2, 2013
    I can not find a bad thing to say about this game. It is Borderlands meets Guild Wars 2, both games I had 100+ hour love affairs with. The weapons and fighting mechanics feel over the top but believable for the world. It is addicting like a Diablo, or WoW. It's cut scenes are nothing special as for a shooter but for an MMO they are unmatched. Bottom line is if you are a fan of BorderlandsI can not find a bad thing to say about this game. It is Borderlands meets Guild Wars 2, both games I had 100+ hour love affairs with. The weapons and fighting mechanics feel over the top but believable for the world. It is addicting like a Diablo, or WoW. It's cut scenes are nothing special as for a shooter but for an MMO they are unmatched. Bottom line is if you are a fan of Borderlands or Guild Wars 2 this is a must buy. If you are a an of both, clear out your calendar. Collapse
  56. Apr 5, 2013
    Very Nice surprise. Just loving this game. Nice mix of shooter, rpg, mmo. Its also paired with a tv show, which gines more depth as it will evolve with the show. If you like stort driven shooters in a scifi setting, this is for you.
  57. Apr 3, 2013
    Game came out of nowhere, absolutely loving it. It's been a long time since I've felt this way about a game, but I can't put it down. I'm just so surprised how polished it looks from the menus to the game its self, it runs great even with 40-60 people fighting the BIG baddies. I definitely recommend it, but if you do get it, play more than 3 hours before you judge it, do some Co-op, PvP,Game came out of nowhere, absolutely loving it. It's been a long time since I've felt this way about a game, but I can't put it down. I'm just so surprised how polished it looks from the menus to the game its self, it runs great even with 40-60 people fighting the BIG baddies. I definitely recommend it, but if you do get it, play more than 3 hours before you judge it, do some Co-op, PvP, and stuff like that to break up the single player stuff. I'm having a lot of fun with it and its definitely been worth my $60 thus far. It's a big game and there is a few bugs but its not a big deal, they will iron it out over time. Expand
  58. Apr 2, 2013
    It's fun to play! The story is pretty interesting so far as well and I am looking forward to see the tv show running in parallel. It is also working quite well on day one so far. Cool thing is that you are feeling to be part of something big. It also quite innovative. It certainly doesn't fit in with the WoW clones we get to see most of the time.
  59. Apr 3, 2013
    Big world, engaging story, unique mixed-media connection to the TV series. Character customization is lacking hopefully a future patch will address that. Variety of weapons and equipment is excellent. Game has depth. Very fun to play.
  60. Apr 12, 2013
    This game is very good. Besides the fact of the server maintenance, but that has to happen in every mmo rpg. I think they nailed it on a mmorpg for consoles besides the pc.
  61. Apr 12, 2013
    When you reda reviews for this game all I ask is that you scroll down and read the comments. Many of them have very valid points that I agree with completely, however the feedback from gamers has been mostly positive. Like many mmos before it defiance had several bugs, glitches and server issues at launch. These issues get ironed out in time and the game changes drastically as you play.When you reda reviews for this game all I ask is that you scroll down and read the comments. Many of them have very valid points that I agree with completely, however the feedback from gamers has been mostly positive. Like many mmos before it defiance had several bugs, glitches and server issues at launch. These issues get ironed out in time and the game changes drastically as you play. The developers have been nothing if not fourthcomming and humble about every issue and have shown great strides and dedication in only a weeks time. The people on here leaving bad reviews more than likely had not delved more than a few hours in or partaken in any of the great pvp or instances that gradually unlock. Trust me, the game really opens up after only a few hours and you can be swept up in it easily. With limitless content, a dedication to free patches and free dlc gameplay this game is more than worth your money. It isn't perfect by any strectch, but we mustnt forget that the key factor in video games is the fun factor and I honestly can't recal having thismuch fun with a game in years Expand
  62. Apr 15, 2013
    This game is incredible. I have played over 70 MMO's in my lifetime and never have I come across one that's more colorful than this. The gameplay is very unique. It has very well executed third person shooter action and the story is spot on. The graphics are very surprising because of how old the recommmended graphics cards are. They did a very good job with the graphics. The sound isThis game is incredible. I have played over 70 MMO's in my lifetime and never have I come across one that's more colorful than this. The gameplay is very unique. It has very well executed third person shooter action and the story is spot on. The graphics are very surprising because of how old the recommmended graphics cards are. They did a very good job with the graphics. The sound is mixed, because enviromental is well done but I can't say the same thing for the weapon sounds. The lore is very interesting and entertaining, because of the television show connected to this game. The PVP is very skilled based, where only a few rounds fired makes the difference of whether you survive or not against your opponent. I haven't played any other game since I have bought this. Defiance is probably one of the best MMO's I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I am 100% satisfied with the $100 I have spent for this game. I couldn't ask for very much more in a perfect game. Expand
  63. Apr 15, 2013
    I don't write reviews for games. In fact I don't often rate them. I can say that this game and the scores that it is getting made me feel the need to in order to get this right.

I have to say that Defiance starts out extremely slow and at first appears to be every bad cliché of FPS gaming possible. I almost quit playing very early, but I felt after spending the money that I should at least give it a solid go.

After getting through the initial training portion and using trial and error to figure out what was going on, because the information for the game is very limited. I was able to find a gem buried inside. I now honestly have found what I might refer to as a guilty pleasure. You see so many bad and mediocre reviews, but I think it's from people who didn't get past the initial mediocrity.

Once you get in and just start playing it for what it is you begin to find moments of brilliance. I can jump in and out of the game quickly and play for a few minutes or a few hours which in my busy life is a great thing. I don't have countless hours to spend playing, and that works fine within the game's structure. I find that the guns and shields and other collectibles catch my attention and keep me wanting more. The ark falls in the game which happen as semi random events are tremendously fun, if a little easy and repetitive at times. I love all of the little mini events all over and the unusual guns have me excited every time I get a new drop.

This gives me the MMO experience that I would not have time for otherwise and I am able to play this shooter with people that I would not be able to compete with in any other game. That's not to say that the playing ground is level with the shooter diehards. Just that I can at least feel like I'm not wasting my time playing.

I am excited to see what new things they will add and I have high hopes for Defiance's future. I am iffy about the show tie in, but I'll give a watch for a few times by way of DVR and see if it's any good. I haven't had a lot of great experiences with the Sci Fi networks shows as being high quality. Here's hoping for an ever improving game and a show on the Sci Fi network that I might actually like.
  64. Apr 15, 2013
    Despite the terrible reviews most have laid down on us, I believe Defiance deserves more appreciation. It has done more than any game has previously, bringing a MMO to the two top consoles and PC. As we all know, MMO's have room to grow and improve in a single patch, which means more content and bug fixes as they see fit. I also believe that they knew the new upcoming TV show would notDespite the terrible reviews most have laid down on us, I believe Defiance deserves more appreciation. It has done more than any game has previously, bringing a MMO to the two top consoles and PC. As we all know, MMO's have room to grow and improve in a single patch, which means more content and bug fixes as they see fit. I also believe that they knew the new upcoming TV show would not only back up the storyline of the game, but make it a whole different experience and suck you into the saga of Defiance. Expand
  65. Apr 21, 2013
    I can't why people put so bad ratings to this game,It's a really good game with very good ideas.
    I just make my acount in metacritic to say this,obviusly the game can be improved if we talk about bugs,but who MMO doesn,t have any?
    I have been playing 3 days non stop,10 hours per day,and i can really say is something that other games cant make me do it. Whoever has give to the game less
    Whoever has give to the game less than 7,8 should try to play it with some friends,and the game will become in a 9,7 points game.

The system of taking cover and even cover your partners while they activate a mission objetive is awesome!, worth it to play it.
  66. Apr 2, 2013
    Really is a very fast game very fun accesible and playable, very very fun played with friends, im enjoy it.dont a crysis graphics but dont necessary..... a great game for me. thanks for create trion!!
  67. Apr 3, 2013
    Exciting Story, Fun Characters and a great new take on MMO games. It's not so much of an RPG, but it does have the elements needed to mimic one. I've been playing since the First stages of Beta and throughout the process of becoming full retail, Trion listens to their customers and feedback given.

This game has a strong community and a stronger Development Team behind it and I cannot wait for the future of this game and what it brings to the table for Innovation and creativity.

It's got a few flaws, but they're features that are going to be implemented or I have yet to get high enough to see more (Only gotten to 250).
    - Character Outfits could be worked on, more outfits or drops that could be rare.
    - PvP doesn't work for me, but it works for everyone else i play with, must be some sort of Port i need to forward or something that needs to be patched. I played it in beta and I thought it was really fun.
    - Hard to tell if the area we start at is the only area in the game or not, Not saying it's small, it isn't especially with so many players on at the same time, but having a larger outlook on how the world looks in more than just the California would be extremely neat.
  68. Apr 12, 2013
    this game has some very bipolar reviews. but i gave this game a review it deserves. iv played a lot of mmos and iv gotten board with them all the combats repetitive and boring and i want to go to sleep. But when i played defiance i felt so excited and drawn in. At one part i was being swarmed on all sides so i went in a house and started sniping the mutant horde attacking me and when theythis game has some very bipolar reviews. but i gave this game a review it deserves. iv played a lot of mmos and iv gotten board with them all the combats repetitive and boring and i want to go to sleep. But when i played defiance i felt so excited and drawn in. At one part i was being swarmed on all sides so i went in a house and started sniping the mutant horde attacking me and when they broke through i took a position in the hallways and held them of. It felt dynamic and unscripted i chose to hide in the house and fight them off like that. it made me feel more excited than any game ever has. was excited this game isn't perfect but it shows the possibility of a dynamic mmo shooter and that's more than enough for a ten to me. Expand
  69. Apr 6, 2013
    all the haters its a fun ass mmo shooter more story based than rpg focused but thats why they also made rift if your more for the latter. Its more realistically an 8 though
  70. Apr 6, 2013
    A fun new game. This game has held my attention from the start. I have been playing it since the first beta and alpha until now. I have played so many MMO's over the years and have been disappointed with lack of new content. I wanted something new and different. It's great to finally have a game that is exciting and new. This game does have it's glitches and bugs. The developersA fun new game. This game has held my attention from the start. I have been playing it since the first beta and alpha until now. I have played so many MMO's over the years and have been disappointed with lack of new content. I wanted something new and different. It's great to finally have a game that is exciting and new. This game does have it's glitches and bugs. The developers have come a very long way from pre-launch. I am amazed at all the fixes they did, even up to a week before launch. The Trion team is very receptive and quick with fixing the issues and listening to their customers. I am looking forward to playing this game for a long time to come and watching the TV show on Syfy. Expand
  71. Apr 6, 2013
    Borderlands meets Fallout 3 meets Rift.
    Pros:
    -fantastic gameplay -some of the best combat I've ever experienced in an MMO -no subscription fees -looks great on high settings -PvP is very fun, especially Shadow Wars -4 man instances are superb -some fun vehicles to cruise around the map in -Arkfalls (world events) -tons of tons of weapons to customize and use Cons: -bugs, a
    Borderlands meets Fallout 3 meets Rift.
    Pros:
    -fantastic gameplay
    -some of the best combat I've ever experienced in an MMO
    -no subscription fees
    -looks great on high settings
    -PvP is very fun, especially Shadow Wars
    -4 man instances are superb
    -some fun vehicles to cruise around the map in
    -Arkfalls (world events)
    -tons of tons of weapons to customize and use

Cons:
    -bugs, a lot of them, mostly minor ones but its quite frustrating to deal with
    -will seem short in its current state if you aren't into pvp
    -some features painfully broken (voice chat) or lacking (text chat) or missing
    -limited storage, no bank outside your inventory, Trion trying to get you to buy extra inventory space
  72. Apr 12, 2013
    I had to give this game a emotionless score id probably say 7/10. Its not perfect it has a lot of issues but nothing game breaking bad. some aspects can seem repetitive but the game does a good job of keeping things fast passed and moving. Besides your standard RPG questing elements their is also Co-op and PVP. AI is not perfect but no worse then your average AAA title so i cant reallyI had to give this game a emotionless score id probably say 7/10. Its not perfect it has a lot of issues but nothing game breaking bad. some aspects can seem repetitive but the game does a good job of keeping things fast passed and moving. Besides your standard RPG questing elements their is also Co-op and PVP. AI is not perfect but no worse then your average AAA title so i cant really ding them on it. This is also true with the voice acting a cut scenes, most MMO's don't even have it so I'm not really sure why people have taken such an issue with it. I feel like the story is interesting and keeps me moving forward so i can't say share any of complaints that other reviews have brought up.

Trion has done a great job at fixing issues and paying players back with free items and boosts for the down time and the minor server issues that occurred the first few days.

I'm adding a point for how much fun I'm having playing this game i am enjoying this much more than many other AAA titles i have payed for. Yeah this game is not WOW or GW2 but it has a lot going for it and has kept me entertained long enough that i easily have gotten 60$ i spent on it. Trion's honesty willingness to step up and make up for issues has been a big Also giving it an extra point for the Syfy tie in, while it's far from perfect this is ground breaking and i know i will enjoy both the Game and the TV show more because i can take part in both. I feel like my money is going to two companies that are at least trying to give me as a customer something new and revolutionary that many of the AAA developers seem to have no interest in even trying.

So that is why I'm giving this game a 9/10 even with its flaws I'm having more fun playing this video game then i have had in a long time better than Bioshock and Borderlands which says a lot. If you are a hard core gamer looking for perfection this game might not be for you. However I think if you are a casual gamer, like shooters, love the Syfy channel, and are willing to give a game from a smaller developer a chance you will enjoy this game as much as me.
  73. Apr 12, 2013
    If you are trying to judge this as a MMO, it will far short of your expectations. It doesn't have traditional levels, auction houses, crafting, or grinding for your first mount. What it is is a very good third person shooter. Very gratifying shooter gameplay. Sniping is fun, LMGs are fun, shotguns are fun. Any game that captures my attention for more than 40-hours is worth my money.If you are trying to judge this as a MMO, it will far short of your expectations. It doesn't have traditional levels, auction houses, crafting, or grinding for your first mount. What it is is a very good third person shooter. Very gratifying shooter gameplay. Sniping is fun, LMGs are fun, shotguns are fun. Any game that captures my attention for more than 40-hours is worth my money. I'm one of those people who stop playing a game the instant it is no longer fun. Expand
  74. Apr 13, 2013
    Alright a few things first off this game doesn't deserve a 10 out of 10 but nor does it deserve anything lower than a 5 for any reasonable reviewer. Personally I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10, it's got an interesting story, the quests are normal for mmo's, people complain you run here do this and go back and do it for another quest, I'm sorry but I've yet to play an mmo that doesn't do thatAlright a few things first off this game doesn't deserve a 10 out of 10 but nor does it deserve anything lower than a 5 for any reasonable reviewer. Personally I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10, it's got an interesting story, the quests are normal for mmo's, people complain you run here do this and go back and do it for another quest, I'm sorry but I've yet to play an mmo that doesn't do that with it quests, there are only so many quest variations out there for mmo's so come on lol. The visuals aren't terrible but they aren't the best either, reasons for that are I believe they made the game to play on a wide variety of systems and pc setups. My biggest gripe with the game is you can tell the pc version is pretty much a port of the console version, but with that being said those things can be worked on and ironed out. The game isn't bad by any means and it does have the potential to get better. A lot of the issues people are complaining about can and I'm sure will be taken care of in time people cast aside a game too easily before it has a chance to really take off. While it's nowhere near the best game I've ever played I can see myself playing and enjoying the game for sometime to come. I look forward to checking out the show and seeing how the game and show really come together. Expand
  75. Apr 18, 2013
    I have never in all my years playing an MMO stayed with the storyline for longer than the first couple of minutes, I end up skipping through the cut scenes and not actually understanding the story of the game, I simply play for the sake of playing, or playing to win.

This game is the ONLY game I have been stuck watching the story all the way through, I've actually been eager to start the next part of the main quest. Needless to say I personally feel that this game engages me and from what I can understand an awful lot of other people as well.

I find the community thus far simply the most helpful community I have ever come across, people help out without even asking. I find myself going from quest to quest and even stopping to help other people if I see them doing a quest of their own, no one complains or about things, perhaps this is due to the 18+ tag? I don't know but I'm thoroughly impressed.

There are glitches and bugs yet to be ironed out (One thing I find the most annoying is in a buggy hit a tyre in the middle of the road and stop dead! :D quite funny really, not the end of the world, just avoid them. I've come across a couple of bugged quests, however I can clearly see this development team and community manager making changes, changes for the good.

I've felt overall this game has been the most immersing, different and a potential contender to World of Warcraft, different concept but equally as enjoyable, the next generation of MMO's.

All I see around the internet the majority of critic reviews are mediocre to average at best reviews. What is this new release being benchmarked against to get such conservative reviews?

I'd hasten to add that Trion are behind RIFT which is probably second to WoW which as with every MMO, this included started off with bugs and improvements you will never be able to make without a huge player base.

Get off their back and give credit where credit is due. This is simply the best game of its kind!
  76. Apr 18, 2013
    Defiance is a game that sits in a tough spot. It's probably the first real MMO shooter on the market that has made an effort to bring a solid PvE campaign to the table, as well as maintaining a fleshed out PvP system. Neither is perfect, but both are enjoyable, despite their shortcomings. The game launched with a lot of issues, like most MMOs, but Trion Worlds has clearly been working hardDefiance is a game that sits in a tough spot. It's probably the first real MMO shooter on the market that has made an effort to bring a solid PvE campaign to the table, as well as maintaining a fleshed out PvP system. Neither is perfect, but both are enjoyable, despite their shortcomings. The game launched with a lot of issues, like most MMOs, but Trion Worlds has clearly been working hard to patch those issues out. It feels like a game that was pushed out early to mesh with the premiere of the TV show, which is probably the case. If Trion has shown anything with Rift tho, it's that they're willing to put the work in fix problems and enhance their games.

I have been enjoying Defiance a lot, the enemy AI isn't great, but it's no worse than most MMO enemy AI either. The combat mechanics have a very Borderlands-like feel to them, which is great, and the weapons feel adequately powerful for what they are. The crits sense, the leveling feels good, and the perks are nice. Hopefully the game does well enough long term to justify keeping it running, because I think it gives a lot of us something we could enjoy, an online massive multiplayer shooter that isn't just everyone trying to kill each other, but work together.
  77. May 31, 2013
    Wasn't quite sure what to expect from a shooter based MMO, most of the stuff the game does is pretty good... the controls are sharp, the gunplay is very well done, weapon modding etc is reasonable, driving vehicles around is also mostly done well, the game plays like a mix of LOST PLANET with BORDERLANDS... and for me that's a good mix. My biggest concern is how much of the old MMO fetchWasn't quite sure what to expect from a shooter based MMO, most of the stuff the game does is pretty good... the controls are sharp, the gunplay is very well done, weapon modding etc is reasonable, driving vehicles around is also mostly done well, the game plays like a mix of LOST PLANET with BORDERLANDS... and for me that's a good mix. My biggest concern is how much of the old MMO fetch quests remain in this game... despite a large amount of random quests, it doesn't quite hit Guild Wars 2's grade of fluid, but the combat is certain damn fun and would stand up as well as a single player title. I'd give them more time to get more content into the game, but they been busy fixing most of the bugs so it's forgivable. Expand
  78. Nov 21, 2013
    I think that most of the problems that people talk about when they have one with Defiance have been fixed. I waited to pick the game up until it went on Steam sale and it is one of the best game buys I have made in a long time.

I read all about everyone saying that there is this bug or that bug, but I have about 50 hours of gameplay now and only ran into 1 which was corrected by relogging. There are many little tiny things with the game that I wish were changed but it doesnt take away from the running around and shooting that is Defiance. They are small things with like menu navigation or how loadouts work. But it doesnt take anything away from gameplay.

With the price sitting at 9.99 and no monthly fee, all i want to know is... Can you afford not to try it?
  79. May 12, 2013
    A lot of false reporting going on from people who don't understand how the game works. One person said the arkfalls are not even following lore, perhaps that person should take some time to read lore before mis-informing people on here.

Bugs, sure there are some bugs, they are working on fixing them, you think they are just going to keep them in the game? Bugged pursuits you can contact a gm on live chat and have them fixed, I have 91/104 pursuits completed from season 1 so far, and all of the pursuits from episode content complete, so clearly these people are either lying or don't understand how to contact support.

Some of reviews have stated theres not many rpg elements or player progression, that's just false. This is not a typical mmo where if you go kill the dragon 10+ times you will eventually get that awesome flaming greatsword of doom. You have to earn your improvements, little by little, you have to know what kind of synergys and mods go well with what weapons, and then combine those with certain powers and most importantly perks. Many don't seem to understand how to do this, which is why I can score upwards of 5 million damage at an arkfall while the second place guy only has 1 million. I have over 320 hours played and I still don't have all the perk slots unlocked, if you don't find perks important, then I guarantee your one of the many people who score well below me on arkfalls and co-ops because you don't understand how to use them.

I could go on, but my point being, people played this game a few days, mabey a few weeks and then gave up, because they don't understand how things work (they think they do) or they say there is a "lack of content". I have over 320 hours played at this point and I am alarmed at the announcement of the first dlc content(not release date), as I was hoping to finish with everything from the core game before any dlc came out...so "lack of content"...yeah..sure....says the people who are less than 2k EGO, no where near half the pursuits completed, and probably have a rather poor arsenal at there disposal (because all the guns are the same...lol)

The tv-tie in is going to increase as both the show and game progress, 2 of the main characters were already in the game, and we have another character crossing over very shortly. For those who thought they were going to be able to alter the show by playing the game...well....really? You think they would leave a show that costs millions of dollars to produce in the hands of video game players? No, the show will effect the game, not the other way around.

Many of the "issues" people currently have are being addressed via patches and dlc. The game is growing, rapidly, 5 dlc's are scheduled for this year. Each of them comes with a $10 dollar price tag, or you can buy all 5 in advance for $40 and receive a few in game perks. Each dlc also comes with a free component in order to not alienate the player base, if you buy the dlc and your friend does not, he can still play the content with you, but he will not receive certain rewards and items associated with that dlc.

Essentially you have a free to play mmo, with lots of free dlc on the way, as well as new content added weekly that is also....you guessed it...free. Check it out for yourself, listening to people who probably have not even beat the boss is not the way to go.
  80. Apr 7, 2013
    Trion is still ironing out the bugs. But when it works, it's very fun. Also excited to learn more about the world they've created.

Plays kind of like Mass Effect and RIFT mashed together.
  81. Apr 14, 2013
    Very addictive game! A must to have if you are the kind of guy who play with friends or clan. The graphic is not exellent but the map is big and no big load of the maps
  82. Apr 14, 2013
    Anything that is tied to SyFy starts me out skeptical. I wanted to have high hopes for this title when I first heard the concept. When I heard that it was Trion developing it, I wanted to believe that it could be as good as Rift is. The end result was that when I initially got my hands on it (Beta 3), I was expecting very little. Thankfully, I was surprised by what I got.

After the beta

After the beta ended, I couldn't help but find myself wanting to play it more. And I have a host of other MMOs that I'm currently enthralled with. So when it went live, I went ahead and picked it up. I've watched the trailers for both the game and the show and I must say that I'm impressed... so far.

That being said, I'm enjoying the gameplay, if not the story as well. It's a setting that both appeals to me and has been vastly under-served thus far. I like it. At least give it a shot before you dog it. It might just be your thing, too!
  83. Apr 15, 2013
    Defiance is a nicely balanced shooter. Although it can be repetitive, (no more that any typical MMO) the amount of content is staggering. This will only be expanded with the five promised DLC packs. The complaints of bugs and glitches are rampant, but very concentrated. Trion seems to be consistently updating and improving their game.

If you enjoy shooters and/or MMOs then this is a

If you enjoy shooters and/or MMOs then this is a safe buy, even at it's full $60 price tag. The game seems that it will appreciate with age.
  84. Apr 16, 2013
    This game is going to deliver content in a way that no other game has. By tying directly into the TV show, weekly content updates will keep the game fresh from week to week. A lot of people are asking what the end game is, but the character of the plot is much different. This is not a Max Payne or a Half Life who's plots more resemble a movie from start to finish. Nor is it an open worldThis game is going to deliver content in a way that no other game has. By tying directly into the TV show, weekly content updates will keep the game fresh from week to week. A lot of people are asking what the end game is, but the character of the plot is much different. This is not a Max Payne or a Half Life who's plots more resemble a movie from start to finish. Nor is it an open world free for all like WoW or Rift.

Rather, this game is a slow trickle of unique content developed continuously and released weekly just like all your favorite television shows. People will be tuning in every Monday for the new missions and pursuits.

Some people say this game tires easily and so far they're right. The driving force in the long game will become apparent once people begin to experience the weekly updates. The value of this game will continue to grow. 6 months from now, the amount of available content will be significantly higher than at launch.
  85. Apr 16, 2013
    The game installed in about an hour and has run perfect so far. One of the most bug free installed in recent memory. I've played this for 2 days now and have become addicted. It's basically like a fps (a good one) in an antisocial MMO. I say antisocial because no one talks to each other. Your basically playing an MMO where you run in groups and kill like crazy. Love it.

The

The interface needs work and the inventory system needs work but other than that it's great.
  86. Apr 23, 2013
    This game is FUN to play. I am confused as to a lot of the 0-2 reviews. I think a lot of people played it for five minutes, got bored, and tossed it before the game got to the level where combat became challenging and interesting.

The game starts out in "Easy" mode. This means the only enemies you run into are mutants that stand still and shoot at you. This is so those of us with less experience in shooters have a chance to learn the controls. If you keep playing, the game gets harder, and therefore more interesting. You have to consider how to approach a group of enemies. You can't always charge in, stand in one place, and shoot people. Now you have to take cover. Now you have to try to eliminate shielded enemies first. Now you try to snipe their heavy damage enemies first so you can then deal with the peons.

This is an MMO. If you don't have the patience for server downtime and bugs, you MUST WAIT a few months before buying it. I waited two weeks, and by then the game now has almost no server downtime, I have no lag, and the game runs flawlessly. The few minor bugs I ran into are not game breaking, and I know they will fix them all in a future patch.

The worst part of this game is the dialogue. It appears to be written by a seven year-old boy that just saw his first boobie. In one line, a character says "Who is this pretty girl and why is she mad at me?" Yes, there are hundreds of groan-worthy lines like this strewn throughout.

The second problem I have with this game comes from the synergy the game has created with the TV show. It seems the story and info you run across in the game world are intentionally vague, generic and leave out details as to the lore of the world. They developers are worrying too much about treading on the TV show's toes to tell an interesting story which explains and shares the intricacies of this alien infested, war torn world. In future content, I really hope they get that out of the way and try to tell a deeper story that includes more depth into the characters and areas we explore. Right now it just feels like a big empty sandbox and the only people your mute character (good choice... I love playing a game where I get to watch other people talk and make decisions) run into have nothing interesting going on.

My final problem with the game is the lack of information. Certain things seem to continue to go on unexplained. How do you unlock the coop missions? No one knows. It appears to be random at best. How do you modify your equipment? Just keep pressing buttons and you might figure it out. But, if you happen to have any of the equipment EQUIPPED, you will NEVER understand it, because it doesn't give you an error message telling you to first unequip the item before modifying it... Dear lord, do they WANT people to play the game? The only reason you would need to have it unequipped is because there is an arbitrary ten minute timer to add a mod slot to an item, during which you CAN NOT USE THE ITEM, and neither can you even use the weapon modding system during that ten minutes... This seems like a poor choice. Make me pay to add the slot, but don't stop me from playing the game to perform such an arbitrary task.

Play the game for the combat. That's the fun part. Despite all the flaws, it is hella fun to ride around on my 4wheeler, killing aliens, and saving the world from mutant freaks.
  87. Apr 8, 2013
    Game-play is addictive MMO veteran since Everquest (shows my age). If you are bored of the current MMO's on the market and are looking for something fun and innovative this may be it. Innovative in the fact that this games Ties into the T.V. show. You have to show some love to Trion giving this a shot!

The story has me hooked the game play is FUN. The driving and weapon mechanics are Great! The Tie in to the show and the free DLC you get after every episode will be the Ice breaker for me. There will be at least 5 Extra DLC's at around 9.99 each that we can purchase during the season as well but it will not be mandatory.

I have seen way worse launch's but there are some issues- Big patch out on the 15th should address a-lot of these.

Do yourself a favor and read about progression and game-play before jumping in. This game has a lot to offer that's not fully explained in the tutorial. you level up weapons talent trees and Reputation.

the games social side is a little weak at the moment but does offer VOIP-- But the positive side is that there is no gold sellers spaming. The UI can use some work.

Overall this game keeps me playing everyday and I look forward to seeing the T.V. shows Tie In every week. I have my EGO to 250 20 hours playing and see MUCH potential to this exciting game. Go in with an open mind and you may be surprised how much fun you are having! Hit me up in game.

*Blisters
  88. Apr 17, 2013
    I've played MMO's since there were MMO's and each has different appeals. Defiance is a special gem, it gets the "fun" feel right. Yes, there are rough parts and its UI needs some definite love but frankly it's just so much fun. While some quests are simple there are others where you really benefit from thinking out your tactics and approach. The modding of weapons allowsI've played MMO's since there were MMO's and each has different appeals. Defiance is a special gem, it gets the "fun" feel right. Yes, there are rough parts and its UI needs some definite love but frankly it's just so much fun. While some quests are simple there are others where you really benefit from thinking out your tactics and approach. The modding of weapons allows customization, your "Ego choices" allows you to affect your stats, and frankly it's just complicated enough without becoming unwieldy. I've never given a 10 to any game before, but I think this one has some serious legs to it. I'd strongly recommend folks give it a try if you like shooters in a science fiction setting! (No, I don't work for them!) Expand
  89. Apr 11, 2013
    After playing this game since release and in its current state, I'm giving it an 8. I have no doubt that over time, Trion will get this game up to a 10. The Arkfalls have been some of the most fun at this point. The main story quests are good and the side quests are fairly good but can get a little repetitive. I think the only thing I really don't like about the game is that the AIAfter playing this game since release and in its current state, I'm giving it an 8. I have no doubt that over time, Trion will get this game up to a 10. The Arkfalls have been some of the most fun at this point. The main story quests are good and the side quests are fairly good but can get a little repetitive. I think the only thing I really don't like about the game is that the AI seems a bit helter skelter. If I'm hiding behind bushes and snipe someone, all of a sudden every single person around the one I sniped knows where I am and starts bum rushing. That doesn't seem right. Beyond that, I think with more quests, more interesting Arkfalls, and more multiplayer events, this game would be perfect. I have never really played an MMOFPS before but if that's what this is then I kind of like the idea. Expand
  90. Apr 7, 2013
    Great ark fall scenarios with large groups participating, guns have a wide variety, FUN gunplay, interesting main quest line story, cool tie in "episode quests", multiplayer is nice (being higher level doesnt mean you'll be over powered) driving around is fun, anyone can jump in and help you with quests, their "dungeons" are pretty neat aswell with cool final bosses.

Sidequests arent

Sidequests arent very interesting, graphics are par, and the mechanics are a little hard to learn at the beginning
  91. Apr 14, 2013
    To start out, it really bothers me that all these reviews/ ratings have come out for a game that we are technically in the "Prelude" of. This game is wonderfully crated, engaging, and an absolute all around BLAST! Once again, all of this being true the game has not even STARTED yet.

The Defiance world has two counterparts: Game & Television Series. What everyone is currently playing is just the beginning/ preamble prior to the start of the Show. The Defiance world was designed to change based on what takes place in the show and what the players do on their servers. New content & changes are to come with each episode.

In fact, it was even posted in the daily log-in news blurb that players will want to complete the missions prior to April 15th when the show releases. Sadly, many of the gamers today (H*ll bent on INSTANT gratification) are unfortunately too daft to grasp this concept. After reading countless terrible excuses for “reviews” with people complaining that they “ALREADY” beat the game (blah blah, etc.), it is readily apparent that Trion will have their work cut out for them. I guess that is the problem with the internet in essence; the availability for the few bumbling idiots (who are not intelligent enough to play a game, and therefore become frustrated and unhappy) to have their drivel of an opinion read by many, is rather high. In the long run, people who are happy and content tend NOT to post reviews because they are enjoying themselves and just having a grand old time playing the game. Whereas the few people who are upset, want everyone else to know about it and be upset with them; misery loves company after all. ;)

It seems so silly to judge/ condemn something based on a tiny snippet, rather than on the whole. Then again, that is one of the most brilliant pieces of the Defiance world; in theory, if the show continues on there will be a potentially endless stream of new content and playability as updates are pushed after the release of new episodes. I for one am extremely stoked and anxiously await the game to actually begin tomorrow, and to see the Defiance world unfurl before our very eyes.

Extremely sick concept put together by an awesome game company. I truly enjoy this game, and give it a hard 10.
  92. Apr 7, 2013
    Let me start by disputing all of the negative reviews.

UI~ No disputing their claims, it's somewhat goofy, but learning the quick menu (ctrl) makes it bearable Character creation~Don't listen to people about lack of customization. They are clueless and didn't chose the options... It's extensive! Shooting mechanics~ Shooting mechanics are spot on. No clue why anyone would have a
    Let me start by disputing all of the negative reviews.

Shooting mechanics~ Shooting mechanics are spot on. No clue why anyone would have a gripe about them.

Controls~ What is so bad compared to any other shooter?! They have the exact same controls as any other game, CoD or anything else.

Chat~ this is pretty bad and something that needs to be adjusted. But same dev's as Rift so things will be fixed... Games been out less than a week so...

Not sure why there are so many haters of this game. They are just butt hurt that they aren't going in with tons of friends rolling across the map hogging all the loots. This game is great. Check it out. No monthly fees and lots of fun!
  93. Apr 6, 2013
    I've read some of the reviews and a lot of the negative ones are not very accurate. I'm about 30 hours into the game and this is my experience with it:

---------------------------------------- The good: The mechanics are fun, this game is 90% skill and 10% items. Pixel perfect precision, dodging, crouching, jumping. Everything you do matters. You can play stealth and head-shot

----------------------------------------
    The good:

You can play stealth and head-shot enemies from afar with a sniper rifle; or go in guns blazing, throw greandes and bash enemies. They all have weak spots where you can score critical hits and you can go about doing things any way you want. You also get some powers and perks (think skill talents) that complement your play style.

The game has challenges placed all over the map, be it driving or shooting. I find they take 3-4+ tries to get gold and there are leader boards for each one. You can level way faster doing these than side missions and they're quite unique and way more fun.

Co-op maps require 4 players and they're not easy. The fights get very intense very fast and require a decent amount of skill to pull off.

People complain about the driving, I've been doing most of the goals and challenges related to it using the roller and am having a blast. The challenges involve getting a certain time on a course, you have to dodge obstacles and deal with unexpected enemies or events popping up. Getting gold on some of them requires pulling everything off perfectly. The goals require things like doing a 720 spin off a jump, and getting gold on the driving challenges.

The PVP is fun, although right now some guns have balance issues. Going stealth and blowing someone with a shotgun point-blank is way more effective than it should be. I'm pretty sure this will get ironed out.

The story and chapter missions: You have your story missions which deal with in game characters and chapter missions where you interact with the movie characters. They're not incredible, but they will keep you going. Once the series comes out, it might give them more meaning and back story, which they are lacking.

All weapon types have about the same base stats, better quality weapons just have some added bonuses such as increased mag and some small effects like reloading part of your clip on critical kills or speeding up grenade recharge. Nothing massive, but enough to get you to seek them out. You can play with the first weapon you get during the tutorial and not be gimped. Items give you a nice bonus, but are not the deciding factor in effectiveness.

-------------------------------------
    The bad:

Side missions are typical kill this, fetch this. The good thing is, the game mechanics make killing enough fun and there are plenty of other ways to level.

Interface was clearly not designed for PC and is terrible atm. Luckily you don't need to use it all that often.

The game has a lot of features which are not immediately obvious. Going with the norm will result in a poor experience. A guide to character creation (which provides a decent amount of customization, if you find the tabs for it on your first try-- i didn't) and game activities would make it a much better experience for new players. I suggest reading the forums for tips when starting out as things are pretty confusing at first.

Server instability is there, getting a lot better now though.

Rewards for events kinda suck and getting rep from contracts is the best way to get upgrades.

-----------------------------------
    Good or bad depending how you look at it:

Most of your upgrades come from weapon mods and not the weapons themselves. These include slightly higher crit damage, increased magazine capacity, faster reload, slightly less recoil etc. Farming the mods is a bit of a pain as the boxes that give these produce random mods. Each weapon can have 4, and weapons come with different slot numbers. Higher grade weapons tend to come with more, but you can add them in using ingame resources. Once again, the upgrades are more convenience than making you more powerful. Having to reload less and not having to re-stock on ammo as often is nice, but not crucial.

-----------------------------------
    Overall:

The PC version feels a bit rushed, but compared to most other MMOs i've played on opening day, it's about the same story. The core is fun; if you played Rift, trion went with the same sort of ideology in regards to random events. Ark falls are much like rift events. Everyone gets credit for kills, and rewards are based on participation and score.

The mechanics are fun, the game is challenging but i doubt it will cater to people who are more item driven. If you like shooters and online games with an open world feel which allows you run over enemies with cars, complete challenges and pvp. A game where skill is the deciding factor and having a higher level and better items will still get you killed vs a higher skilled lvl 1 player. This is the game for you.

Once the series gets going, the story part might play a bigger role.
  94. Apr 6, 2013
    this game is a lot of fun, once you figure out the UI and where things are, it really has a great feel to it as well as look! Arkfalls with a bunch of other players are truly epic, working together in order to get through them is so much fun! Whether or not it has a lasting fun factor is yet to be seen, but I definitely have gotten my moneys worth of this game since there is nothis game is a lot of fun, once you figure out the UI and where things are, it really has a great feel to it as well as look! Arkfalls with a bunch of other players are truly epic, working together in order to get through them is so much fun! Whether or not it has a lasting fun factor is yet to be seen, but I definitely have gotten my moneys worth of this game since there is no subscription. There are bugs here and there but nothing hindering game play that I have seen..... yet Expand
  95. Apr 6, 2013
    I have sunk 20+ hours into the game already and I am realizing possibilities are endless in terms of content. Anyone who is giving this game 0's just don't understand the concept, and the diamond in the rough that is represented in Defiance. Maybe this is not a true MMO but it definitely is massive open world and in my opinion is as refreshing as it is fun to play. Trion took a gamble andI have sunk 20+ hours into the game already and I am realizing possibilities are endless in terms of content. Anyone who is giving this game 0's just don't understand the concept, and the diamond in the rough that is represented in Defiance. Maybe this is not a true MMO but it definitely is massive open world and in my opinion is as refreshing as it is fun to play. Trion took a gamble and I guarantee it will pay off for them as long as they continue to improve, GO BUY THIS GAME NOW! Expand
  96. Apr 17, 2013
    I am surprised at how much fun this game actually is, I was little hesitant at first but I am now hooked. Sure it gets some things wrong like the UI and lack of social interaction (especially on PC) but when you do get a group of people together or even start chatting with clan mates, it really works. Arkfalls are incredible to take part in, watching hundreds of Ark Hunters blasting awayI am surprised at how much fun this game actually is, I was little hesitant at first but I am now hooked. Sure it gets some things wrong like the UI and lack of social interaction (especially on PC) but when you do get a group of people together or even start chatting with clan mates, it really works. Arkfalls are incredible to take part in, watching hundreds of Ark Hunters blasting away at the same objective is a sight to be seen. The solo quests are enjoyable and even more so when a random Ark Hunter who happens by just stops to help you out because he/ she can is brilliant. The weapons and shooting mechanics are great and the EGO customisation is terrific. I think it is unfair the comparisons that this game has to other proper MMO's, I personally wouldnt classify it as an MMO, Im not sure there is a specific classification for this, it fills the middle ground between single player and MMO, and I think it does it quite nicely. I am sure in time with new features to be added (hopefully a revised UI and chat screen for PC) this game will be even more incredible than what it is and I cant wait to see what Trion does with this game Expand
  97. Apr 18, 2013
    Game is great. Shooter with a great action combat, skill based (you have to be good in aiming, avoiding shots, taking cover, gear is useful but there is NO gear farm like any wow-clone theme park (so everyone can play and compete and do all the game content without farming totally boring raids for months), MMO elements are good, lot of people arounds (60-70+ people in the big Arkfalls),Game is great. Shooter with a great action combat, skill based (you have to be good in aiming, avoiding shots, taking cover, gear is useful but there is NO gear farm like any wow-clone theme park (so everyone can play and compete and do all the game content without farming totally boring raids for months), MMO elements are good, lot of people arounds (60-70+ people in the big Arkfalls), nice coop missions with a right length (not too long and frustrating), game is B2P and shop is NOT a Pay2Win having only cosmetic items, PvP with BG and open world Shadow War.
    I saw the pilot of the TV show and that was AMAZING, a great mix of Terranova, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, with a solid lore/background just as seen in the MMO.
    Game can be bought for less than 30 euros from some reseller, less than a single player and you can play for at least 5-6 months before being bored from the actual content, not to mention updates and new content release from Trion.
  98. Apr 18, 2013
    This game does have issues. Not as many as on Xbox 360, but there definitely are technical glitches and there are some questionable design choices. I still think it is fun, perhaps surprisingly so. I've spent more time with it than with many games I'd subjectively think of as better games, but that weren't fun to keep playing after I was "done".

Defiance's biggest selling points are

Defiance's biggest selling points are that they nailed the gunplay, and that you can effortlessly switch from soloing around to playing with others. Almost everything you do in the open world is automatically public, for example, if you're on a mission and some other player is on the same mission, you'll work together to complete it (similar to dynamic events in Guild Wars 2). Defiance also has its own clone of Rift's rift events, called ark falls, big events where you'll often see dozens of players. And if you want to play one of the co-op maps (basically, dungeons), all you need to do is sign up for either one you want to play or a quick match and the game's matchmaking will put you in a group and teleport you to the map. The same applies to competitive maps, and shadow wars, Defiance's open world based PVP system. Due to Defiance's shooter mechanics, matchmaking is less limited than in many MMOs. There are no classes, and there is no need to group characters by level. This means matches are usually made quickly and I often don't even have time to exit the matchmaking screen and do something else while I'm waiting for a match to fill.

Defiance also includes some features that are rare in MMOs. There are checkpoint races. There are timed shooting challenges where you need to reach specific goals with one specific weapon. And for some people it might be interesting to know that you can play it with a controller and seamlessly switch between mouse+keyboard and controller if you want. The TV show tie-in is also something it does differently than other MMOs, although I think that one is a bad idea for a game that should be able to stand on its own feet. Removing pre-TV show content after the first two weeks so that some missions are now inaccessible to new players was a terribly misguided move for a game where those were the only real side missions with an actual story.

I did mention glitches. There's one annoying one that can lose you items if you add mod slots and then zone or log out. There's a few pursuits (achievements) that can't be completed. Sometimes, your last perk slot gets unequipped because the game thinks you just unlocked it *again*. There were more at release, but many have already been addressed in 3GB worth of patches.

The UI could be less console oriented too, although my main gripe with it is that it's just missing a few short cuts for mouse users. It's not unusable with keyboard/mouse, e.g. they didn't forget making buttons clickable or anything like that, it's more like you'd want a context menu in some certain places that wouldn't be useful with a controller but are kind of expected by mouse users. Chat could really do with a movable and sizable window instead of the barebones system they have now.

All in all I'm rating it at 8. For starters, it actually works, which is more than what you can say about certain other recent titles. The main game play mechanic, shooting stuff with guns, is amazingly fun. It does a lot of other things right, too. Driving your cars around the bay area is fun. Races are fun. Automatic grouping for missions is fun. Matchmaking is quick and easy. They have some things to fix about the UI on PC, they need to re-think their content strategy, and they desperately need to add content that doesn't use one of the two predominant environment styles that are in the game. Objectively that may sound more like a 7, but I'm also basing my score on how much I've been playing Defiance since it came out, and it's currently shaping up to be the best value for my money I got from a video game in 2013. I've played games that offered a better or more well-rounded experience this year, but often one that was also over much sooner.
  99. Apr 19, 2013
    Firstly.... I wanted to give this game a 8 as I feel that there is room for improvement, however because of people just throwing 1's and 0's out there I feel I want to help get this title to where it should be in the ratings. While maybe not the typical MMO or 3PS that everyone is used to this game can be a great time and I think people need to give it a go. I have no regrets about myFirstly.... I wanted to give this game a 8 as I feel that there is room for improvement, however because of people just throwing 1's and 0's out there I feel I want to help get this title to where it should be in the ratings. While maybe not the typical MMO or 3PS that everyone is used to this game can be a great time and I think people need to give it a go. I have no regrets about my purchase and love the fact that I can log in for an hour and feel like I accomplished something. The graphics while needing more customization for the PC user they still seem to be quite pleasing. The sound track is also above average and I have been playing with the in game music since launch. Some of the quests do get repeatable and variety could be enhanced but that is something they can address future content updates. Group Instances have been a blast and PVP is good times! Trion has had excellent community updates in regards to just about everything and I haven't seen feedback like this from any other company in recent years, maybe a rocky start but things are feeling a lot better with each passing day. Furthermore this is a one time purchase with no monthly subscription so if you cant dedicate your every waking moment to gaming this could be for you. I did watch the Defiance TV season premier and it was decent nothing to get excited about yet!!

I miss the old review types so I am adding my own =)

Presentation 8
    Graphics 8
    Gameplay 8
    Sound 8
    Lasting Appeal 8

Overall 8

Too many opinions, not enough people sticking to facts
  100. Apr 19, 2013
    People are ragging way too hard on this game, I played this game for 30+ hours heres my score.
    Solo PvE 6.5 /10 (7.5 if your a huge sci-fi nerd like me)
    Solo PvP 8/10 This can only go up with more game modes and maps) Co-up PvE 9/10 (um we have guns, cars atvs and a large world to roam collecting loots) Co-op PvP 10/10 what cannot be done in solo PvP unless you get lucky is team
    Solo PvE 6.5 /10 (7.5 if your a huge sci-fi nerd like me)
    Solo PvP 8/10 This can only go up with more game modes and maps)
    Co-op PvP 10/10 what cannot be done in solo PvP unless you get lucky is team strategy, I have 4 friends and we all PvP together, omg. :D :D :D
  101. Apr 2, 2013

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Defiance may be an ambitious project. Linking an online action game with a TV-series is a smart idea but one that here mostly comes of as a mere gimmick. The story is unengaging and the action mediocre and monotonous. Not to say anything about the myriad of bugs that utterly destroys the experience.
    It’s an addictive game that seems to become even better as you play. If it keeps getting the right support and if the tie-in with the TV series proves successful, we might have a game that will keep us occupied for a lengthy amount of time. [May 2013]
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    If Trion can introduce better quest design, this will be a winner. [June 2013, p.88]