6.6

1. Apr 7, 2014
    Defiance is how Grand Theft Auto Online should be. Everything is smooth, people cooperate in the free roaming world instead of griefing and killing you, while PvP is possible in the PvP events, as it should be! The world is nice, the graphics are good, shooting, driving physics are good. A lot of content makes you want to roam the world more and more. I don't like sci-fi at all, but Defiance is the exception I like to make. Expand
  2. Feb 13, 2014
    It's lazy and repetitive. The game dies immediately (never picks back up). Players are all identical. --It feels like a facebook game. Barely playable. Any positive review here must be a developer. I don't know how someone could recommend something so tedious and gray. Just play co-op Borderlands instead.
  3. Jan 20, 2014
    This game has the absolute WORST UI I've ever seen -- EVER. You won't be able to see chat unless you stop doing whatever you're doing and hit ENTER -- good luck trying to communicate with people in the heat of battle. Supposed to have a voice chat system built in, but neither my husband nor I were ever able to get it to work. You'll probably have better luck using Ventrilo or Teamspeak.

Gameplay is incredibly repetitive. Do a mission. Turn it in. Go do an arkfall. Now go do a siege. Do another mission. Rinse. Repeat. And since there are only about 3 or 4 mob models in the entire game, it gets very old very fast. Seriously. You shoot the same stuff from level 1 to level 1000+.

There are 4 player archetypes to choose from, but they ALL do the same thing. The only way to really be viable is to pack as much DPS as possible. There is NO support for alternative play-styles.

My advise? Don't bother. Go play Warframe it's so much more fun and has way more variety.
  4. Jan 5, 2014
    FANTASTIC!!! Great story, graphics, mechanics, and gameplay!!! I think this game as come a long way since it has been released, making a lot of the past reviews outdated. I was actually shocked at the poor ratings. This game has brought me so much fun and enjoyment! One of my favorite MMO's of all time. Yeah that's right. Well worth the price of $10. If you wait for a sale on steam (it was $5 this past winter sale) than even better! Expand
  5. Dec 14, 2013
    I'm not the kind thats fit out for games similar to this but I checked it out and thought it was pretty neat. I'm a little nervous about these MMO types since I was never properly introduced to it and everything in it, so for that I am completely unexperienced in these games in every single way. I hope someday I will get into these games. Very cool game though still. 6/10
  6. Nov 21, 2013
    I think that most of the problems that people talk about when they have one with Defiance have been fixed. I waited to pick the game up until it went on Steam sale and it is one of the best game buys I have made in a long time.

I read all about everyone saying that there is this bug or that bug, but I have about 50 hours of gameplay now and only ran into 1 which was corrected by
    relogging. There are many little tiny things with the game that I wish were changed but it doesnt take away from the running around and shooting that is Defiance. They are small things with like menu navigation or how loadouts work. But it doesnt take anything away from gameplay.

With the price sitting at 9.99 and no monthly fee, all i want to know is... Can you afford not to try it?
  7. Nov 16, 2013
    Great atmosphere.
    + A world that matches.
    + No auto aiming or stupid Skill clicking.
    + For an MMO it has a nice graphic (not great but nice)
    + Great system for multiplayer events. (The Arcfall Events can reach an extraordinary epicnes)
    + Lots of different weapon types.
    + Nice story.
  8. Nov 14, 2013
    seems alright to me, the main reason why i got this game is because my animation teacher worked on it so i wanted to give it a try and steam was having a sale so i got it. i'd recommend it to friends but the game doesn't seem for everyone. BUT one of my favorite things about this is that if someone starts a quest near the time you do, you'll be doing it together, i fell in love with this idea. I never saw this before in a MMO but it probably has been done before. so it makes quests more fun, and you can grow on your teammates and you'll work together more. I highly recommend this game Expand
  9. Nov 11, 2013
    This is one of those games that did not live up to its full potential, it is fun,and for someone who is new to MMOs a great experience, but if you are an avid MMO player this might not be the best idea, but for 10$ this game is great.
  10. Oct 31, 2013
    The experiment of game and tv show kind of works.. initially is really gripped me but through time interest has waned. However I got a large number of hours in before I got bored. Lack of a cover system given the type of game it is is a shame but Arkfalls are fantastic fun.
  11. Oct 28, 2013
    Not your tank/dps/healer mmo. You need skill to play as your shot goes where you are aiming at. Gear is not as important as your ability to hit the target.
    Big complaint is the clumsy UI and lack of chat. Lack of chat is not bad considering you wont be exposed to chuck norris jokes or gold seller spams.
    At $10 this game is a steal. Try it if you are into FPS games.
  12. Sep 7, 2013
    This game, is a sub par, third person shooter, tv spinoff. This having been said let me go into detail about why it is sub par. First of all, let me start with pve. The storyline failed to grasp me. The combat is facing multiple of the same enemies, you have the normal variant and the elite variant. Running around, mowing down, hundreds of enemies in a row is satisfying, at first, then it loses its appeal. It took me around 4 hours to get bored of pve and try pvp... It was a mistake to try pvp, let me tell you right now, ill give an explanation in a moment. The pve is similar to hellgate london with slightly better game mechanics and a larger world not separated into separate instances. This is the best way to describe the game. it has features hellgate london could have used... It falls short on everything else...

pvp, the combat mechanics have zero stamina for sprinting/rolling/etc. No cooldown on vehicles, no bunny hop prevention. The pvp in the game, is a complete mess. It is beyond broken, everyone uses stealth to sneak up on someone, its all about who uses stealth first, who can jump around and hit other bunny hoppers faster. Usually weapons with elemental effects are used. There is zero fairness in pvp and the mechanics are just broken for it.

I think I would rather play hellgate london. Buy this game, only if you are curious or absolutely adore the tv series.

Graphics 8, sound 5, music 6, controls 5... Controls gets rated down due to the lack of pvp balance and prevention of bunny hopping, rolling 800 times in a row to avoid fire, etc. There should have been stamina...

I am going to go play hellgate london as this game makes hellgate london look absolutely brilliant. On a side note, Trion Worlds has made very sub par games for their entire existence, great concepts but the execution is just god awful. They are almost on par with the developing skills of timegate studios... in other words, they are terrible developers...
  13. Aug 31, 2013
    Ok let's start this review with a central statement: Defiance is not a classic MMO.
    It's more accurate to define it as an Online Action TPS. The MMO component is present but you should not buy it thinking it as a classic MMO. There are no classes, gear is limited to weapons, shield, grandes, outfits and headgear is only for costumizing the character. The game is quite fun in solo, and
    very funny with friends. There are big boss battles with many other players (hundreds), there are vehicles and a lot to explore. the story is OK, not great and a bit repetitive, but it's ok. I always wanted a game like this after Tabula Rasa closed, and this is quite a lot better of TR.
    I payed the game 10 euros, and it's well worth them. I reccomend to buy it at this price is and absolutley great game.
  14. Aug 20, 2013
    So far for me it's a great game. the story and gameplay has certainly captured me and i love the way you automatically help each other on missions if you are in the mission area together.
    no more waiting for your turn to complete a mission.
    And the idea that the games story and environment will change according to what happens in the tv-series is an innovative twist that only helps to
    make the game that much more exciting. Expand
  15. Aug 15, 2013
    Unfortunately, I waited for a big Steam sale to play this game. I had read the reviews and feared the worst, but took a chance at the $13 price point. I was so disappointed...not in the game, but that I didn't jump on board sooner. All of the MMO-fanboy negativism and terrible review dynamics have all but put this great game in the grave. One review states..."it IS fun!" and gives it a zero... If you're into MMO-numberRow-button-sauce, standing stationary, generally facing your opponent, and grinding through cool-down attacks, this is NOT the game for you. If you're into go-fetch-me-X-of-Y things, this is NOT the game for you. IF you want to tick up your Schwarzenegger-strength attribute or your Legolas-dex stats...you're not going to find that here either. However, if you like good action gameplay and want to really "feel" like you're killing some stuff based on your ability to point a gun, dodge, sneak, find cover, etc. AND you enjoy some good story elements to follow this might just make a favorite game list for you.

Following the main story quests and the episode mini-stories, is the most engaging. The cut scenes are generally something you want to watch. They pull you in to the characters and the environment and the "feel" of the world. If you like the TV show, it makes it even better. It's just cool to take on a quest with Lawmaker Nolan and Irisa. And THANK YOU TRION for giving me a friggin' vehicle to get around this world so early on.

Guns...guns...guns...this is pretty much (as you've seen in many other reviews) a Borderlands MMO. Gun customization is where the crafting comes in. It's not as involved as a lot of MMOs out there...so if you're wanting to farm your ores or yew wood, move along...none of that stuff here. But, if you want to equip your shotgun that shoots grenades with a scope...DO IT!

As was mentioned, the side-quests aren't very deep, but they are a good way to do some quick killin' and the best way I've found so far to get cool mods for guns.

For the most part, the interface is pretty easy to use. There are a few annoying quirks, like the need to double-click the menu items in the Salvaging Matrix. Uggghhh, take those double-clicks out Trion! And even tho I started playing later in the calendar...there are still a few bugs. But there are bugs in all games and particularly MMOs. I haven't played one yet that didn't have some sort of bug here and there. Defiance feels good. Looks AWESOME (the reviewers claiming the graphics suck...what the hell game are you playing...?). And sounds amazing too. Details abound all over the world. Stop and smell the roses every once in a while.

If you're an MMO-snob and have to have your MMO-sauce features...then don't play Defiance. However, if you like to participate in some good action and experience a coop solution that feels more coop and less like a mob of people running around doing their own thing...try Defiance. It doesn't have a monthly fee and is available at bargain prices (Steam: $9.99).

And like the dumbass that thought "IS fun to play" is worth a 0, I'm giving it a 10 because it is REALLY fun to play!!!
  16. Aug 14, 2013
    TLDR: Play FireFall instead, the game is not going to get better, as many of the developers were let go after the game was published.

What a great concept behind Defiance: A Science Fiction game and a TV show which evolve together and influence each other. But what a horrible, horrible implementation. It was fun to play at times, and if the game gets ever finished, I am sure it will be
    fun to play.

Four months after release, it plays like an early beta. In the first minutes, you cannot follow the instructions, as your tutorial actions are constantly interrupted by NPCs. Already the first few missions are bugged, so that you may have to quit and restart in order to do them. Chat is bugged (in the sense of not being able to communicate at all) for the PC version, so that you cannot even ask other players for advice about the bugs; I found the advice to relog finally on the forums. The game has open world missions, but gets confused when two players work on the same mission, so that you cannot finish them.

The good points: You can try the game for free for three days, but within this time frame you need to download the client, and the downloader has major problems. The price for the game was lowered to 10 bucks in some places, and no subscription is required, so it might be worth buying, if you believe that the developers will ever finish the game. Which is unlikely, as a lot of the developers were let go in May 2013.

By coincidence I discovered a second Science Fiction MMO shooter called FireFall at the same time, which is in open beta starting August 2013. FireFall plays almost the same as Defiance, with the difference being that it is actually fun, and mostly a finished product.
  17. Aug 7, 2013
    I was really interested in this game when it came out and finally decided to get it and to try it out after all of these critics. Well, it isn't bad but it doesn't feels like a top notch game either. Gameplay-wise, the controls are somewhat questionable and the default key-binding is weird as well (it doesn't matters anyway because you can rebind pretty much everything). The story is okay, but the overall game is engaging. Be careful, IT IS repetitive. Expand
  18. Aug 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game can't be decreed simply. Rather by a complex formula of reviewing. The game is great on pc playing arkfalls make e feel the community is good and each person is striving to be better than the others but at the same time willing to drop by lending a helpful hand. Second it is actually rewarding to play PVP for this game for strictly co-op people like myself for bonus exp ego levels and pursuit reards such as cool echelon uniforms. However i will say character customization was console biased because of the fact some players clearly stuck to the defaults. Also i will say the game can be glitchy but not drastically. And said glitches can be resolved simply waiting moving your shooting or jumping. Characters are either good or mediocre for example this girl who wanted revenge is so angry she hates the world except her room mate. Then there is the good ones like John cooper who started ot as a okay guy just irritated at the people who constantly call him when a raider walks through there yard stealing their chickens. Who then ttys to save the world by helping you get the ark core and thne hating Von Bach for making him see his friends die then later killing of one of his own friends. Then their is ego who i think has Bi polar disorders and/ or split personality syndrome because first she is concerned about you living then she is showing signs of insanity when i killed some 99ers and then says "do they have any spare parts i could use a upgrade" or on the co-op mission explosions 101 after the echelon girl gets shot through the temple and you the ark hunter have to set up the explosive she says "sweet! i was hoping we would get our hands on these things lets blow some stuff up!" only to later say "I'd prefer to see the explosion at a distance." This actually made me question my character not because he is listening to everybody in hopes of retiring to Antarctica but rather because there methods are strange kill everybody hack the system and all that but the show no remorse or enjoyment. either they are emotionless or the save it for the emotes you use to say thank you to player. However though the biggest reason people flip out about this game is it is repetitive. I find no problem in a game being repetitive as long as it is fun. Besides if you hate a game on repetitive then what about call of duty. Specifically older ones with only one or two different section using vehicles in such or rather in halo where everything is kill stuff use vehicles to kill stuff and the two good kill the scarab missions where your on foot. So if you hate a game based on that then why note most shooters? where there is only different level that is so memorable. However the areas look the same except the ones you have to care about they look good like the docks and the smeltery. in short the game is fun even if you find yourself alone in the corner of this huge world all you got to do to find other people summon your good looking vehicle and drive to the nearest and biggest ark fall and gang up on hell bugs. or rather get your Friends this game play through it help them level up and smash the biggest baddy you can find and loot the great weapons and look like a genuine bad ass along the way. Expand
  19. Aug 4, 2013
    However interesting the cameos and tie-ins from the TV series might be, there's one thing that simply cannot be denied about Defiance. It's boring. Your character is a borderline deaf-mute with no impact on the proceedings. The gameplay is 'acceptable,' but nothing else. The environments are decent, but lackluster in variety. The interactions with other characters is bland and meaningless. The skill trees are dull, and leave much to be desired.

I would not recommend this game to anyone, personally, but it is pretty, for what it's worth, and it does have a story to tell. It's just not really a story worth sitting through hours of boring quests, and brutal grinding to hear told in a stilted, off-the-cuff manner.

4.1/10, overall negative. Better off watching the syfy/space series.
  20. Jul 28, 2013
    Defiance keeps me coming back. Unlike other games where it's a constant grind to get level after level, I feel like a partner in the game. I can pickup anywhere and join in a fight and leave no questions asked. Totally fun.
  21. Jul 28, 2013
    This game I played from the beginning and deserves a low rating. People who exploited the game we congratulated by the company for what they did. They promised things like what you do in the game will affect the show and the show will affect the game which they now say will happen later like Aliens:CM tricked people. They cannot fix issues that have plagued the game since the beginning and the DLC promised in the first month still hasn't shown up even though it is now almost 5 months later with no confirmed date of release. Hacks are many in this game since they used a 32bit security systems for systems that can use 64-bit hacks that the 32-bit could not see like gun damage. The game has been on sale so many times each month because they need to try and keep some sort of following. The game goes on sale for 20 dollars all the time. The PVP is unbalanced since a snipers line of sight is too small so people exploit it by coming into peoples range, shoot, and then run back 2 feet so they cannot be shot at themselves. Don't listen to the people that say it is great when at an extremely low level like 250 EGO since they haven't played past the starting area. I have played it through twice and the second time is quick because you can only do the main missions and all the secondary missions are not available. Not worth your time unless they do major fixes and apologize to people that were told lies. Expand
  22. Jul 24, 2013
    Those devs are such trolls why they lower the price to 49,99 EUROS TO 29,99 EUROS AND NOW 9,99 IM SO ANGRY TRION WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?! I LOVED RIFT AND NOW RIFT IS FREE TO PLAY AND NOW DEFIANCE IS 9,99
  23. Jul 22, 2013
    You know why there's no demo of Defiance? Because if you do one quest, one arkfall and attach one mod to a gun, you've done EVERYTHING there is to do. Seriously. There's virtually no meaningful character progression, no real crafting, no real social component. It's a pseudo MMO for the Call of Duty dolts. I was bored after an hour.

I gave it a 3 because the guns are kind of fun and the
    shooting mechanics are solid. But really, it's not an MMO. Expand
  24. Jul 21, 2013
    Defiance is a 3rd person action-MMO (without a monthly fee) with Borderlands game-play mechanics wrapped around the Defiance TV series story, and I love it. Unfortunately, it also seems to be yet another example of MetaCritic review ridiculousness, which you can easily see by the massive swing in review scores. I play this game cooperatively with a friend, and we're able to join together as a group, easily keep track of each other in the game world, and can cooperatively complete instance quests. The main story is cohesive and enjoyable, the gear is vast and diverse, and the environments are beautiful. If you've been itching to try it but have been put off by the mixed reviews, and you like what I've described here, then give it a try, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  25. Jul 17, 2013
    Pros: Gameplay, Co-op, Story and Episode missions, Post-Apocalyptic setting.
    Cons: Arkfall events becomes a bit dull after a time, Graphics, no Defiance town (no cities at all in fact).

At first I was reluctant to try Defiance because of the critics, but I decided to check it anyway and I'm glad I did.
    I have played a lot of MMos in the past, Daoc, AO, WoW, GW, to name a few but
    Defiance feels really unique compared to them thanks to his Fps/Tps gameplay, it's really a refreshing change. It feels like a bit like Borderland gameplay wise (not as good of course but still good).

The game world is large enough and there's a lot of things to do. (side missions, races,...)
    Arkfall events becomes a bit dull after a while, they're similar to the events in GW2.
    The story is really good though, with good voice-over and all. The Co-op missions are quite fun too. (they're like Dungeons)

The game is set in San Fransisco bay and not in St Louis (Where the city of Defiance is) Which is a weird choice, but I hope we'll be able to visit Defiance in future DLC's, If they are as good as the original content, I think I'll be playing this game for a while.

I would recommend this game to those who like Borderland-like gameplay and to the Fallout fans (like me) who enjoy exploring a post-apocalyptic world.
  26. Jul 15, 2013
    best game i ever played a open world borderland expirenc with over 100 players if you ahve played border alnds you must play defianc if youre a fan of the TV series this is a most get
  27. Jul 14, 2013
    I am a huge fan of Firefly from way back, and so am excited about the Defiance TV program. I was also very excited to learn about the Defiance MMO game. While I am not a regular player of MMOs, I have had a long presence as an educator (I teach Chinese language and culture at a major Australian university) and social user in Second Life (I accept any flaming that occurs at this point as inevitable). I have also created a Chinese language task-based learning environment in SL complete with NPCs that can interact in Chinese character text chat, so while I can't make much expert comment on Defiance as an MMO user, I thought I could contribute a couple of initial observations of the virtual world as I have experienced it so far.

The environment world (landscape) from my perspective is very realistic and fantastically detailed. I love that aspect. It is also big and open, and apart from very steep inclines that the physics won't let you go up, you can go just about anywhere. This is a big plus for me as I hate being constrained by game-pathways which prevent you from exploring the environment. The the player avatars and the various different kinds of NPCs are also very high fidelity and movements, albeit it rather limited, are very fluid and realistic. Having a degree of customizability is also a plus, and for me increased customizability would be a huge bonus in the future if it happens. I have only driven one vehicle (the basic quad bike) but it is fun and for a novice like me quite easy to control. Having first person view while on/in a vehicle would be great and make driving feel even more realistic (maybe I have missed this option?).

I initially enjoyed some of the quests challenges, and while I am normally not into shooter type games, I did enjoy picking off the bad guys from a distance and mixing it with the hell bugs close range (not the really big ones though not skillful enough to defeat one on my own). I can see huge potential in this virtual world MMO, but some things are still missing for me. I mostly felt very alone in this post-apocalyptic world. Sometimes it frightened me (especially with the infected zombie crowd) and I wished I had someone covering my back. I really felt/feel the lack of social interaction in the environment. I did try a couple of times to talk to some other players but never got a response. Maybe this is the nature of these kinds of MMOs, which I am not knocking. Its just that coming from SL where activities can be very social it felt extra isolating for me in Defiance. When I first went into SL the thing that struck me was the number of people ready to mentor me on anything I didn't understand. I know I can read the forums on Defiance (I do for extra hints), but I miss that human to human (or Irathient to Irathient) interaction. For me this is the big attraction of the TV program the interaction between the characters in Defiance, and as such was a big disappointment. As a language educator I naively thought I might even be able to learn practice a little of the Irathient language while in the virtual world environment, which I know is not everyone's cup of tea, but for me it would have been fun and much more immersive.

I also miss having a safe location (the city of Defiance for example) where I can take some time off from the constant tension of fighting out in the badlands and simply wander around shops and buy trinkets for my character or items that would be useful for the game, or simply interact with or watch other players interacting with each other, or catch up with online friends. I would also like to be able to interact with artefacts in the environment even more, even something simple like being able to put my gun down and sit on a chair in a bar or on a porch would be fantastic. I guess my view of things is too coloured by my time in SL, although I have heard other MMOs/virtual worlds (like WoW) do have this element.

I guess also as a non-regular MMO player I am expecting too much or expecting things that are different from what other MMO players want. However, I think the combination of great battles combat quests challenges with free-style non-combat exploration and social interaction in safe zones where maybe there is a bit of an economy would be real winner in some circles. A player sandbox for creating things (whether it be weapons or clothing or other items) would also be fantastic, would help support an economy and would take some of the burden off the creators of Defiance in terms of creating new content.

Linden Labs have had a fairly rock road developing SL over the years, but they have stuck to their guns and it is getting better over time (for those of us that enjoy using it). Hopefully Trion will stick with the development of Defiance and we can look forward to even bigger and better things in the future.
  28. Jul 14, 2013
    This game is fantastic once you understand it. initially my impressions were mixed Defiance is a very easy game to just pick up and play for a bit. It is a fun and seemingly shallow game. If you play this game on your own and spend your time running around just chasing ark falls you will have a bit of fun but you will miss the point of the game entirely, and become quickly disenchanted. However if you spend some time with the game get into it a bit deeper suddenly you realize that there is a lot more to it. There are events scattered all across the map to participate in there are open world non ark fall non quest related encounters. The "Shadow War" PVP aspect of this game is intense and entertaining. There are the standard co-op instances to run with friends.. This game offers so much variety and with the TV show tie in episodes it has been nothing but entertainment from day 1. Expand
  29. Jul 14, 2013
    During development, Trion Worlds displayed gameplay trailers that showed a graphically rich and dynamic world with all kinds of alien flora, dynamic weather, and great cooperative gameplay. I was quite happy to be chosen to play in beta but what I found was disconcerting. The game was littered with bugs, contained a very sparse UI that was clearly designed for the console rather than PC, offered bare bones graphics, and a dearth of content. When the game went to retail, there was no way I could justify buying it even though Trion Worlds kept assuring us that everything was coming "soon".

Fast forward to 11 July 2013 when Steam launched their Summer Sale and initially put Defiance on sale for 66% off. I purchased the game figuring Trion had three months of time under their belt with the game so, hopefully, they had addressed some of the issues. Unfortunately that is not the case.

First, the bugs. Most of the bugs still exist. Most of the bugs you will encounter will be mild annoyance bugs, such as your vehicle randomly disappearing while you're still on it, or your character getting stuck in an animation. But there are also the game breaking bugs which prevent you from being able to finish quests (e.g. NPC or item not spawning, textures with necessary interactive items disappearing) and bugs that will prevent you from doing challenges (e.g. 'invincible' mobs who don't die during a timed "Rampage" mission that requires all mobs to be killed). Bugs still occur FREQUENTLY.

Second, the UI and controls. Clearly ported to PC as an afterthought, the UI and control scheme still hasn't changed since beta. Vehicles control is some of the worst I've ever experienced when using keyboard/mouse, and on foot controls feel clunky and counterintuitive. Plug in a game controller, however, and it plays like a completely different game. I found some statements by Trion Worlds claiming they were "working on" the UI but so far they've done nothing. And since the UI is responsible for driving social interactions, the piss poor chat and social UI structures continue to make this a largely solo game where the only time you interact with other people is during Arkfall (world coop) events.

Third, graphics. Forget the old trailers. I can play this game on ultra with the only FPS hiccups occurring during major Arkfall events which tend to pull in two dozen (or more) players in one limited space, yet the graphics look as though they are from circa 2007 Xbox 360 games. Poor textures, medium polygon counts, static lighting and shadows, terrible draw distance, and BARE MINIMUM graphics options available to the user. The world itself is typical post-apocalyptic fare, brown and gray, bland and uninspired.

Finally, the lack of content. Let's get this out of the way right now: Quests fall into one of three categories; Fetch, Click, or Rescue/Protect. Every quest you do from the beginning to the end will be one of those three or a combination thereof. There aren't even any "kill X number of people" quests, which is probably for the best since enemies in the game can ALSO be broken down into exactly two types: Humanoids and Hellbugs. Although they've added episode based quests (the TV show tie-ins), after about 10 hours, you'll realize that you're doing the exact same thing and that the only thing you have to look forward to is doing the exact same thing.

"But Cap," you'll say, "ALL MMOs have repetition." To which I will respond that you are absolutely correct. However, unlike most MMOs, Defiance really offers you little challenge and little hook to break the monotony. For example, in classic MMOs where you earn X amount of XP and learn new skill "Y", getting a new skill offsets the monotony of doing the same thing you've already done by giving you something new to add. In other words, if you play a mage and you get a blizzard spell, you don't care that you're marching off to kill another 50 humanoids because now you get to use this awesome new blizzard. You don't get that break from monotony in Defiance because what you do in your first hour and what you do in your 200th hour is the same: point and shoot. There's no need for strategy or theorycrafting and your EGO AI companion holds your hand from start to finish. Loot and passive skills can only carry a game so far.

Anyone who tells you the story carries the game is lying because after the first cutscene you're left to fend for yourself. You're sent off to the shooting gallery with very little info and the most story you get is from hidden audio logs. Even if you watch the show, often times what you do in game makes little sense. PvP is, by Trion's admission, full of hacks/cheats that they have yet to address. So what COULD HAVE been fun is marred by poor design leading to rampant cheating.

In sum, I do not recommend this game, even at a super sale price. Frankly, I can't see Trion keeping the servers up for another year at the game's current rate.
  30. Jul 13, 2013
    I bought Defiance yesterday for the Steam Summer sale, and I'm happy with my purchase. That being said, I bought it for $13. I also specifically waited 3 months so they could iron out a lot of bugs, and I still had a ridiculous struggle logging in the first time. The core gameplay is pretty interesting, though. The problem is just a lack of polish. This game doesn't feel finished, which is a shame. Still, if you're looking for an MMO to play with friends for a bit, I suppose you could do worse. Expand

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Defiance may be an ambitious project. Linking an online action game with a TV-series is a smart idea but one that here mostly comes of as a mere gimmick. The story is unengaging and the action mediocre and monotonous. Not to say anything about the myriad of bugs that utterly destroys the experience.
    It’s an addictive game that seems to become even better as you play. If it keeps getting the right support and if the tie-in with the TV series proves successful, we might have a game that will keep us occupied for a lengthy amount of time. [May 2013]
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    If Trion can introduce better quest design, this will be a winner. [June 2013, p.88]