6.5

1. Apr 3, 2013
    A pretty fun Third-person shooter with fun element, the ark fall event in the game break the standard questing. Graphics could have been better but when an ark fall happen with 100 players at the same time it pretty clear that the reason why the graphic are not top notch is because most computer would not handle it. The gun customization is fun and the game doesn't seems like a rush to maxA pretty fun Third-person shooter with fun element, the ark fall event in the game break the standard questing. Graphics could have been better but when an ark fall happen with 100 players at the same time it pretty clear that the reason why the graphic are not top notch is because most computer would not handle it. The gun customization is fun and the game doesn't seems like a rush to max lvl like most online.

The racing event with vehicle are pretty fun and break the shooting with a different gameplay the challenge with a specific gun with ammo are fun.

I can't wait to see what will happen every week with the show.
  2. Apr 3, 2013
    Has room for improvement but i love where they are taking the genre. I love the action feel like my first 8 hours was non stop action and i couldnt put it down!
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    I was a bit skeptical after reading reviews here. But the game rocks! It is a mixed game type that we have never seen something like before. Flawless launch, outstanding for an MMO. Smooth, no lag, super fun combat, world feels alive, no elves or fairies, common one just has to love this game!
  4. Apr 10, 2013
    I don't understand this reviews. A six hour call of duty have over 80. And a game like Defiance, what has new features and a playtime longer as 50 hours, a game which is perfect to have action with friends. this game become a 6,8???
    But yesterday i found the first german review. it gives the game a 8,5
  5. Apr 3, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. Trion Worlds did a fantastic job of making this MMO shooter have a nice single player feel and multiplayer feel. There is no need to party up with people unless you wish to. Also the storyline and the missions have some weight, and since some of the missions are phased you won't have to worry about having to do a mission all over again, or even havingThis game is absolutely amazing. Trion Worlds did a fantastic job of making this MMO shooter have a nice single player feel and multiplayer feel. There is no need to party up with people unless you wish to. Also the storyline and the missions have some weight, and since some of the missions are phased you won't have to worry about having to do a mission all over again, or even having someone stealing your kill. You are rewarded for assisting your fellow ark hunters, as well all loot that drops is your own loot...not shared loot...so there is no fear of someone ninja looting.

Overall the game is very beautiful to look at, and the shooting mechanics are dialed in quite nicely.

No worry of cooldowns, or a GUI that you end up paying more attention to then the game. If you are looking for a nice shooter with RPG elements, with MMO to boot, then look no further than Defiance.

Also I caught the 15 minute preview of the show and it looks really good.
  6. Apr 3, 2013
    I'm having a blast. I am looking forward to how the series on Syfy will integrate with the game. The battles are fun. Driving around exploring is fun too. I really hope the game does well.
  7. Apr 8, 2013
    Playing over 23 hours so far on the PC version. Still having fun with plenty of variety of things to do. Make sure you do the Episode Missions with the characters from the TV show Nolan and Irisa. They are fun missions with some good rewards and you will be playing a part in one of the key early scenes of the TV show. The first 14 minutes of the TV show are already on YouTube and if you doPlaying over 23 hours so far on the PC version. Still having fun with plenty of variety of things to do. Make sure you do the Episode Missions with the characters from the TV show Nolan and Irisa. They are fun missions with some good rewards and you will be playing a part in one of the key early scenes of the TV show. The first 14 minutes of the TV show are already on YouTube and if you do the TV missions you'll see the early connections between the game and TV show. This whole concept is turning out to be pretty cool. It adds a whole other element to the game. It seems there will be new Episode Missions each week to keep things interesting in addition to the regular stuff. There is a huge variety of awesome weapons to use. The BMG weapons are awesome since they can drain life from more than one enemy and then you can use it to heal yourself. I started with a machinist so I could start with a rapid fire weapon. I picked the invisibility EGO power. It comes in handy when you need to sneak behind enemies to disable generators or just get a quick advantage when you're outnumbered. The vehicles are fun to drive, especially taking jumps off cliffs or bumps. Best combo of weapons so far is to have one sniper rifle and one automatic weapon. I got my BMG weapon from a tier 4 lockbox so it was worth the cost. Make sure to join Arkfalls when they pop up on your map. There are sometimes dozens of players running around in a nonstop action free for all battling monster bugs or mutants. It's fun having the MMO vibe with your friends helping you out as part of your group or just random people jumping into a battle that helps you out when you need it. It's a fun game and I can't wait for the TV show to start! Expand
  8. Apr 5, 2013
    Pretty nice MMO! Don't listen to the naysayers. I'm by no way a fanboy and I can tell you this game rocks! A few flaw here and there but it's normal and Trion is fast for patching. Give it a try, you will not regret it. Unless you want a WoW clone.
  9. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is a very refreshing addition to the MMO scene. There is buckets of content ranging from intricate storyline missions with voice acting to events such as time trials, rampages and Arkfalls. The graphical quality is excellent on high settings, although not very impressive on the lower settings. This may be something to consider if your computer is on the lower end.

The sounds

The sounds are very high quality, during combat there is usually some sort of electronic music with a rather high tempo, which is fitting but may get on your nerves over time. Fortunately it can be turned off in the settings.

There is a lot of customization, although in the beginning modifiable weapons are relatively rare, and usually only come with one or two open slots. But it gets better later on. There are no classes, but you will have to build your character around one of four abilities and the perks it can be connected into. The EGO Grid you do that with, is somewhat reminiscent of The Secret World. Or Final Fantasy X.

The shooting aspect of the game is very responsive and detailed, different weapons have completely different mechanisms instead of being simplified into one functionality. Hit detection is very responsive. When you aim for somebody's head, you hit them in the head. No invisible walls or other weirdness.

World polish is excellent. There are some bugs, mostly to do with certain quest objects taking their sweet time to appear or to respond to you. But the majority can be fixed by logging out of the game and back in, so it doesnt become such a big deal.

The vehicles are also interesting, they're not as crazy as in the Borderlands series, but that can be a bonus also, if you prefer realism over utter madness. The vehicle controls are a bit slow. You can tell that they had to compromise somewhere to release it on multiple platforms, but you should get used to it in the first half an hour or so, since nothing is technically wrong with it.

The interface is probably going to be the only big factor that will divide the public opinion on the game. I didn't have much trouble adapting to it, but I realize that I am not the whole world. You might be a little bewildered by it. The chat windows and such are the same old stuff as in other MMOs though, so you shouldn't have trouble asking for help.

I'm a big fan of the story, definitely worth it listening to all the cutscenes, conversations and reading through things in the game.

This is the first review I've ever bothered to write(maybe it speaks for the quality of the game in itself), so I apologize in advance if it left something unanswered.
  10. Apr 5, 2013
    I pre-ordered on the last day before release. This game is NOT worth its $60 asking price. $20-$30 max; especially with its F2P cash shop. It definitely will be at this level by the STEAM Summer Sale and more like $5-15 thereafter. It has some interesting elements for a shooter, I'm not really in to coop shooters so some of it is new to me. I can't shake the feeling that it's RiftI pre-ordered on the last day before release. This game is NOT worth its $60 asking price. $20-$30 max; especially with its F2P cash shop. It definitely will be at this level by the STEAM Summer Sale and more like $5-15 thereafter. It has some interesting elements for a shooter, I'm not really in to coop shooters so some of it is new to me. I can't shake the feeling that it's Rift lite though, lots of the same textures and similar artwork in places none of the awesome skill trees or anything. Terrible Console UI, *TONS* of bugs (loses keybinds, crash to desktop, disconnected from server constantly, have to turn off voice comm manually EVERY TIME YOU PLAY). PvP Is decent, maybe a little twitchy for my taste, matchmaking is okay and it's still new enough to have fast matches. You can level via PvP which I like. Arkfall events Rifts. The blatant Dodge Charger product placement is repulsive. This game is okay for a quick play, running over npcs in vehicles is fun for awhile. Cheesy single-player game style cut scenes. Main story line is pretty lame. Kind of reminds me of SWTOR here with out the "choices"; worse voice acting. Borderlands/Fallout this is NOT. I have an enormous amount of MMO experience; this isn't an MMO. Expand
  11. Apr 3, 2013
    When Borderlands meets Planetside 2 with a little of the traditional MMO thrown in as well for good measure you get Defiance. I can't give this game a 10 because there are some problems, notably the chat issues and PC's clunky UI but apart from that it's great refreshing fun. There's a very heavy Borderlands feel with the PvE. PvP is new, there's the traditional games you're used to fromWhen Borderlands meets Planetside 2 with a little of the traditional MMO thrown in as well for good measure you get Defiance. I can't give this game a 10 because there are some problems, notably the chat issues and PC's clunky UI but apart from that it's great refreshing fun. There's a very heavy Borderlands feel with the PvE. PvP is new, there's the traditional games you're used to from shooters but added into the mix is Shadow Wars which allows you to fight 48 vs 48 to control points on the map, the same map everyone else is busy fighting PvE (don't worry you don't have to take part) this creates an interesting element as NPCs interact the same to PvP players as they do PvE, you may find a boss helping you defend a point.

Overall Defiance is a new and interesting MMO with great potential to expand it's universe. We've yet to see how the game actually ties in with the TV show but it's something to look forward to and enjoy with the game.
  12. Apr 2, 2013
    This game... its great. The gun-play is perfect. The pvp is fun, especially Shadow War. The co-op is amazing. The story is alright so far, but it can only get better and i trust Trion to do so. P.S. hopefully the tv show is as good
  13. Apr 5, 2013
    Just what I was looking for in an MMO, something that was not another Warcraft or EVE clone. In truth yes, the game is in an early stage and there is room for improvement, and I look forward to seeing where Trion will go with it as time goes on.
  14. Apr 2, 2013
    i really love this game. ive played a lot of mmos out there and none have been able to keep my attention. this games story is on par with any triple A title.

the fact that grouping isnt a chore like in most mmos is even a bigger plus. you never have to be out of the action for long! and for reviewers who want to trash the graphics.. these graphics are actually good and 10 times

and for reviewers who want to trash the graphics.. these graphics are actually good and 10 times better than the console versions. besides, what do graphics have to do with game play?
  15. Apr 3, 2013
    Easily a 10/10 game.
    Takes some concepts from other MMO's and makes them all shine. I expected another generic MMO but what I got was a game with genuine 3rd Person shooter features, A great story and good controls. I'd recommend it to anyone. Huge open world with vehicles, gun customization and many other great things.
  16. Apr 3, 2013
    first MMO I have really enjoyed the gameplay in for a long time. I play a lot of FPS games (Battlefield etc) since good 'ole Counterstrike 0.4, and I enjoyed the shooter mechanics so much I found my self moving from cover to cover sniping mutants with no mission or quest in the area, I just had that much fun just playing the game... For me to have this much fun before my friends havefirst MMO I have really enjoyed the gameplay in for a long time. I play a lot of FPS games (Battlefield etc) since good 'ole Counterstrike 0.4, and I enjoyed the shooter mechanics so much I found my self moving from cover to cover sniping mutants with no mission or quest in the area, I just had that much fun just playing the game... For me to have this much fun before my friends have even bought it, along with the in depth weapon mod system, and the future integration with the television show, I'm hoping I can give this game a 10. Expand
  17. Apr 8, 2013
    A little bit country, a little bit rock 'n roll: Defiance tries a lot to be a little bit MMORPG and a little bit MMOFPS at the same time. To be fair (and somewhat forgiving), it's not that bad. It's just not that good. But with all the other MMO fish in the sea, I'm looking for something that is creatively fresh and fun.

I think Trion (whom I greatly respect for the well-done Rift) is

I think Trion (whom I greatly respect for the well-done Rift) is trying too hard to be too many things for too many people. Again, I respect the attempt but I rue the outcome. This is not the next MMORPG and it is not the next MMOFPS- it's a mediocre attempt at both. If it were F2P... maybe. For $60, no way.
  18. Apr 7, 2013
    Well, yes it is a good game. In what means? The quests are put together in a very fast-paced manner. You have a lot to do, all the time. You are always playing multi-player, and you find yourself in a quest, together with other people WHO are fighting for the same cause. Players are not killing each other, the concept of the game is good, the graphics, especially the characters are veryWell, yes it is a good game. In what means? The quests are put together in a very fast-paced manner. You have a lot to do, all the time. You are always playing multi-player, and you find yourself in a quest, together with other people WHO are fighting for the same cause. Players are not killing each other, the concept of the game is good, the graphics, especially the characters are very well drawn, but there are a lot of repetitions and the modifications of weapons (in which the game is very proud of) is not put together in a fun way. It is unnecessarily complicated. The AI of the villains is not bad, the inventory is a little too small for a game like this. But the story is good, the physics are average, the villains have better than average complexity, you do not really think that a huge price is not really worth paying for the game. For 29.99, it could be ok. Expand
  19. Apr 10, 2013
    I agree with the low-end of the spectrum. The (early) pilot episode of the show was fantastic and I think it will be a worthy successor to Eureka, Warehouse, and Alphas. However, the game just gives up on the story after you chase down Random Bald Scientist #1. It plays more like co-op Planetside 2 with a Borderlands leveling system and I was hoping that this would be the MMOS that soldI agree with the low-end of the spectrum. The (early) pilot episode of the show was fantastic and I think it will be a worthy successor to Eureka, Warehouse, and Alphas. However, the game just gives up on the story after you chase down Random Bald Scientist #1. It plays more like co-op Planetside 2 with a Borderlands leveling system and I was hoping that this would be the MMOS that sold me. Unfortunately the plethora of launch bugs, the poor graphical execution even by console standards, and the complete lack of story after the first chapter weigh me down. Expand
  20. Apr 11, 2013
    I bought three copies of this game for my friend, brother, and I and we were disappointed.

First problem is getting this game to install on your pc. It will start downloading then it will stop with several "error" message causing you to re-download it over and over. Once you have final download it then the patch wouldn't start up. Second, this game has a lot of bugs. You'll lost weapons when you are trying to modding it, you might get the items you have buy with your game currency, some mission wouldn't start up causing you start and abort it to get it to work, and sometime I have to redo a mission because it didn't record my completion Third, it hard to chat with other players in this game. The chat window is on another window. If you open up your chat screen it will block your screen. Fourth, there several missions that you have play it solo. Fifth, every time you start a mission or travel away from your group members you will have to change "phase", which cause other group member to change phase as well. Six, the enemies AI is joke. You can simply walk behind them and shot them. Seventh, the missions are boring. Protect this area, kill this guy, run to point B... same old thing. Lastly, there's the lack of personalization. Everyone look the same. Same outfits and weapons.

Do I think this game is bad? No, I think this game just need a lot of work. The story is OK for a typical sci-fi game. Hope the TV show is more enjoyable than this game.
  21. Apr 6, 2013
    The story is dry and dead and the characters weak in every possible way.
    The geometry and texture work looks like it was made for a B-list game ten years ago.
    The general user interface is uninspired, cluttered, and barely navigable due to the color scheme. The camera is fixed at a tiny viewing angle of something like 45 degrees. The combat is slow, clunky, utterly lacking in feedback
    The story is dry and dead and the characters weak in every possible way.
    The camera is fixed at a tiny viewing angle of something like 45 degrees.
    The combat is slow, clunky, utterly lacking in feedback or pace.

And this is only the beginning of the journey into the joyless, tepid hell that is defiance.

Trash. Do not buy this game.
  22. Apr 2, 2013
    I can not find a bad thing to say about this game. It is Borderlands meets Guild Wars 2, both games I had 100+ hour love affairs with. The weapons and fighting mechanics feel over the top but believable for the world. It is addicting like a Diablo, or WoW. It's cut scenes are nothing special as for a shooter but for an MMO they are unmatched. Bottom line is if you are a fan of BorderlandsI can not find a bad thing to say about this game. It is Borderlands meets Guild Wars 2, both games I had 100+ hour love affairs with. The weapons and fighting mechanics feel over the top but believable for the world. It is addicting like a Diablo, or WoW. It's cut scenes are nothing special as for a shooter but for an MMO they are unmatched. Bottom line is if you are a fan of Borderlands or Guild Wars 2 this is a must buy. If you are a an of both, clear out your calendar. Expand
  23. Apr 5, 2013
    Very Nice surprise. Just loving this game. Nice mix of shooter, rpg, mmo. Its also paired with a tv show, which gines more depth as it will evolve with the show. If you like stort driven shooters in a scifi setting, this is for you.
  24. Apr 3, 2013
    Game came out of nowhere, absolutely loving it. It's been a long time since I've felt this way about a game, but I can't put it down. I'm just so surprised how polished it looks from the menus to the game its self, it runs great even with 40-60 people fighting the BIG baddies. I definitely recommend it, but if you do get it, play more than 3 hours before you judge it, do some Co-op, PvP,Game came out of nowhere, absolutely loving it. It's been a long time since I've felt this way about a game, but I can't put it down. I'm just so surprised how polished it looks from the menus to the game its self, it runs great even with 40-60 people fighting the BIG baddies. I definitely recommend it, but if you do get it, play more than 3 hours before you judge it, do some Co-op, PvP, and stuff like that to break up the single player stuff. I'm having a lot of fun with it and its definitely been worth my $60 thus far. It's a big game and there is a few bugs but its not a big deal, they will iron it out over time. Expand
  25. Apr 3, 2013
    Big world, engaging story, unique mixed-media connection to the TV series. Character customization is lacking hopefully a future patch will address that. Variety of weapons and equipment is excellent. Game has depth. Very fun to play.
  26. Apr 4, 2013
    I do not mind massive multiplayers. However the idea of the game was what convinced me to buy it. With the exception if some not bad graphics I am not at all impressed with the game. The graphics could be better. What they show you in the loading screen is obviously not what you get in game. The amount of space it takes to actually play the game (which must be from your hard drive) doesn'tI do not mind massive multiplayers. However the idea of the game was what convinced me to buy it. With the exception if some not bad graphics I am not at all impressed with the game. The graphics could be better. What they show you in the loading screen is obviously not what you get in game. The amount of space it takes to actually play the game (which must be from your hard drive) doesn't justify the waiting time. This being said I do not enjoy having to wait 6 to 10 minutes to play an average game. The view of your character is inadequate, as she is tiny (and I've a very large tv).

As I said the idea of the game is cool. However the content and waiting time per each session is lost on me. And the content is just not worth the wait. I'll enjoy the show more i hope.

As a foot note server que times for a game I spent 70$ to buy is not acceptable.
  27. Apr 4, 2013
    I was really looking forward to this game, especially with the TV show tie in planned. However, once I got into it, I found it to be seriously lacking. The whole time I was in the beta, it felt like a single player game, I really didn't run into many people, even at the ArkFall areas. It has a Borderlands-Lite feel to it. Not a lot of depth to it, the menu system is horrid, the controlsI was really looking forward to this game, especially with the TV show tie in planned. However, once I got into it, I found it to be seriously lacking. The whole time I was in the beta, it felt like a single player game, I really didn't run into many people, even at the ArkFall areas. It has a Borderlands-Lite feel to it. Not a lot of depth to it, the menu system is horrid, the controls are poorly laid out, the skill system is weak and the quest or mission system is unimaginative at best. All in all, not worth the price tag, not even close. Expand
  28. Apr 3, 2013
    Exciting Story, Fun Characters and a great new take on MMO games. It's not so much of an RPG, but it does have the elements needed to mimic one. I've been playing since the First stages of Beta and throughout the process of becoming full retail, Trion listens to their customers and feedback given.

This game has a strong community and a stronger Development Team behind it and I cannot wait for the future of this game and what it brings to the table for Innovation and creativity.

It's got a few flaws, but they're features that are going to be implemented or I have yet to get high enough to see more (Only gotten to 250).
    - Character Outfits could be worked on, more outfits or drops that could be rare.
    - PvP doesn't work for me, but it works for everyone else i play with, must be some sort of Port i need to forward or something that needs to be patched. I played it in beta and I thought it was really fun.
    - Hard to tell if the area we start at is the only area in the game or not, Not saying it's small, it isn't especially with so many players on at the same time, but having a larger outlook on how the world looks in more than just the California would be extremely neat.
  29. Apr 9, 2013
    should be free to play not worth the $60 at all. weak store bad side quests seems the the finish game is still just a early beta.
  30. Apr 12, 2013
    I am giving Defiance a 10 only to counteract the negative reviews that have been posted here, it should be about an 8.

While it is not perfect, Defiance is subject to an incredible ignorance. I cannot speak for the PS3 or 360 version of the game but I know for a fact that the PC version goes very unappreciated. I have read several reviews that do not detail the Competitive, Co-op, or Shadow War aspect of the game. I have been in so few competitive matches that do not result in a very close game due to balancing, constant scores of 24-25, 49-50 and even 1490-1500 or 1990-2000.

Unfortunately there is a very shared opinion about the game being incomplete, the game is not incomplete in the slightest but its suffering from its concept of future planning. Defiance has delivered us a base for whats to come. Trion instead decided not to give it to us all at once, especially since the plan is to coincide with the show which people seem to miss. Every MMO is built on giving us content through patches and/or expansions.

The gameplay is extremely similar to Borderlands, which personally I believe should not have a rating higher than this game(mind you Borderlands, not Borderlands 2.). Defiance demonstrates many similar features of Borderlands and then some.

For those strongly considering buying the game the things you need to know is that the gameplay you will come to enjoy is like Borderlands for the main story and side missions, even challenges like Saints Row. There is also a very balanced and challenging competitive multiplayer.
  31. Apr 10, 2013
    Don't let the positive reviews fool you. This game is an early Beta at best. While some elements of the game are fun, they are extremely overshadowed by the bugs and lack of depth. I think eventually the game will be patched to make it playable but right now the issues make it boring and frustrating. Also this is a direct console port game so expect it to look like a game from 1999 not aDon't let the positive reviews fool you. This game is an early Beta at best. While some elements of the game are fun, they are extremely overshadowed by the bugs and lack of depth. I think eventually the game will be patched to make it playable but right now the issues make it boring and frustrating. Also this is a direct console port game so expect it to look like a game from 1999 not a current title. Collapse

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Defiance may be an ambitious project. Linking an online action game with a TV-series is a smart idea but one that here mostly comes of as a mere gimmick. The story is unengaging and the action mediocre and monotonous. Not to say anything about the myriad of bugs that utterly destroys the experience.
    It’s an addictive game that seems to become even better as you play. If it keeps getting the right support and if the tie-in with the TV series proves successful, we might have a game that will keep us occupied for a lengthy amount of time. [May 2013]
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    If Trion can introduce better quest design, this will be a winner. [June 2013, p.88]