7.9

1. Mar 14, 2015
    An excellent game. Nicely itemized, good leveling up process, very nice graphics even by today's standards whatever that means. This game is another game that is way ahead of its time and really needed a successor but we all knew that wouldn't happen because players these days don't know a good game. Anyhow I thought I'd write this review up in case someone out there agrees with the mostAn excellent game. Nicely itemized, good leveling up process, very nice graphics even by today's standards whatever that means. This game is another game that is way ahead of its time and really needed a successor but we all knew that wouldn't happen because players these days don't know a good game. Anyhow I thought I'd write this review up in case someone out there agrees with the most of my reviews they might go out and try it, its just too difficult to explain why this game is good, its just got it. Expand
  2. Jun 5, 2014
    The game itself is fun - very fun.
    In fact I might say that in terms of gameplay demigod is my favorite RTS game in the style of mobas.
    However - the single player is very meh. AI never does anything different and putting 2 ai's together is guaranteed to result in a infinite stalemate. And that's really it for this review. The multiplayer is all but dead - filled with nothing but
    The game itself is fun - very fun.

And that's really it for this review.

The multiplayer is all but dead - filled with nothing but elitists and impossible for newbies to get a game going. I played this about a year ago, so I can only imagine it is only more dead now.

I tried very hard to get a game going - went to the official forums and made a newbie thread and asked for anyone to play with me. Though some said yes, I never heard from them again and they didn't respond when I contacted them.

So I went into the online play in-game and joined one of the three games they had going - all were elitist games that didn't want newbies - I tried anyway because I was sick of single player. Told them up-front that I was new. I was kicked and told to go to another game that was in the lobby - so I did. Then they kicked me and told me to go to the one I was just kicked from.

Finally I met someone willing to play with me. The most horrible thing happened: The game crashed in the last 3 minutes of the game. It was already a done game - he was attacking my primary base. Somehow the game awarded me the win though - told me that the other guy lost connection. I guess there is some glitch that people can take advantage of and do this - because as soon as I contacted him he called me a cheater and refused to talk to me and swore he was done trying to help "fake" newbies.

I love the lore and the gameplay but since single player mode is bad, and multiplayer is practically unplayable I cannot recommend this game at all.
  3. Aug 23, 2013
    Very few heroes, very few maps, a steep learning curve, and no single player are Demigod's downfalls. It's just a bad game. There is very little to like.
  4. Jan 8, 2012
    Update for 2012: The game crashes on start, crashes randomly ingame and support is currently non-existent. There is no reason whatsoever to buy it or play it.
  5. Dec 19, 2011
    The negative reviews on this are pretty darn off to how they rate this game. The visuals are breathtaking, the game-play is stellar. It's an obvious MOBA game like DOTA so people need to cease the fan-boy whining. This at heart is a MOBA game, but they added elements that focus on areas of action and fast paced hot seat reaction. In Vanilla this game is perfectly fine, with a few mods andThe negative reviews on this are pretty darn off to how they rate this game. The visuals are breathtaking, the game-play is stellar. It's an obvious MOBA game like DOTA so people need to cease the fan-boy whining. This at heart is a MOBA game, but they added elements that focus on areas of action and fast paced hot seat reaction. In Vanilla this game is perfectly fine, with a few mods and tweaks out there this has become my favorite MOBA game out there. I played Heroes of Newerth for a long time and LoL even longer. I played DOTA back in around 2004. Now i'm in the DOTA 2 beta. But since this game's release on steam, the community is climbing and I've fallen in love with this hidden gem. Stardock made a game I won't leave idle for long. They're still working to fix issues in multi-player. First thing is first though. Like all MOBA games you need to know how the champs play. There are two kinds, Assassins and Generals. Assassins were designed to hunt down demigods and counter laners. While the Generals have abilities to buff their allies, summon minions from items in shop or their own abilities. This allows them to work as a carry or pusher based on how the character is setup. The iconic Rook is an assassin and he is similar to Earthshaker in DOTA he makes a great initiate hero and does a damn good job on raining pain with that hammer of his. The multiplayer has a tournament event system that starts every now and again. The AI is a decent challenge that lets you practice your micro and this game is for anyone who has played the hell out of LoL or DOTA and want a MOBA game with more depth and customization. There is a techtree and your Nexus/Citadel that you can use to upgrade your minion waves, hp, armor, weapons and even new creeps. You can upgrade towers, and you can ensure your gold and exp flow is higher then the other team by capping points or upgrading it at citadel. The point capping system allows certain buffs like cooldowns, minion hp or dmg. XP and if a gold mine is present, more gold per second. This game has many many different tactics and with the limited heroes you begin to learn them all very quickly and focus more at hand. The strategy and not learning the ins and outs of hundreds of champions. LoL releases champions out the wall and makes it a pain to enjoy the game with so many heroes. But for those who want more action and less study. Demigod delivers! Expand
  6. May 5, 2011
    So, I'm hesitant to write a review of this game after it's been out for so long, because there were a lot of issues with it in the beginning. However, since the price has dropped to $20 I feel it's worth another look at by the gaming community. Lets be honest: you can do a lot with $20 and video games nowadays if you don't mind decent indie titles and going through the right channels, soSo, I'm hesitant to write a review of this game after it's been out for so long, because there were a lot of issues with it in the beginning. However, since the price has dropped to $20 I feel it's worth another look at by the gaming community. Lets be honest: you can do a lot with $20 and video games nowadays if you don't mind decent indie titles and going through the right channels, so does Demigod stand up to the value? Yes, I believe it does. It's had a long and bumpy road to get to where it's at now, and as a game it seems to have been forgotten by the gaming community. It is, however, a fun game! While it lacks variety, each character is balanced and unique and fun to play. It's easy to sink a couple hours a clip into it, and very fun when you can get a good match up vs some humans. So the pros are thus: Fun game play, and most would agree that it's a decent looking dota type game at a good value ($20). The cons? No variety with character selection, and an appallingly small selection of maps. Simply, there's a lot of potential for this game to have "more" going for it. That alone would have made it amazing, if it just had more of what it already has started. The game is fun for what it is, a dota style game, but it just needed more variety! Also, while it pains to say this, it's a dying game with a small community of players. Might be fun solo against some AI, but you'd really want to get this game with a couple of friends to really enjoy it.

As a side note, the maps are rather cool looking and not at all traditional, and it is a very pretty dota game. There is a good selection of items to upgrade, and the upgrade trees for each character are all very interesting. On that note, there are several different ways to play a character as well, so there's no one correct path to always go. You might have your favorites, but if a tactic isn't working for you there's always another strategy with your guy you can take advantage of.

Last words: What it lacks in variety, it makes up for in execution. It was a bumpy road in the beginning, but it seems like a working game now that just needs to be adopted by a caring dev team who want to make it a shining title. Until then, it's a great value for $20 at the very least.
  7. JeremyHarrison
    Aug 6, 2009
    Demigod took an undeserved beating from the critics due to online problems that resulted from an overwhelming number of pirated copies clogging the servers. It's sad because it brought down the overall rating of what is an absolutely addictive and engaging fresh strategy game. I would give it a 10 but I have to agree with the others that pointed out how helpful a built in tutorialDemigod took an undeserved beating from the critics due to online problems that resulted from an overwhelming number of pirated copies clogging the servers. It's sad because it brought down the overall rating of what is an absolutely addictive and engaging fresh strategy game. I would give it a 10 but I have to agree with the others that pointed out how helpful a built in tutorial would have been and that having a bit more of a storyline to the single player would have made it more compelling.

However, when you set that aside, the pure experience of the game is outstanding. Before even getting in to the multi-player side of things, the game is worth the money just for the single player portion. Although their aren't a lot of maps, for this kind of game play it doesn't feel limited. No one ever complained that chess only has one board. ;-)
    You have 8 demigods to choose from and since each is completely different there are 8 very different strategies to explore across 4 different game formats. The nature of the game is one that keeps you wanted to go back and try a different strategy. It is well worth the money if you are looking for an original take on the RTS genre.
  8. KeithP.
    Jun 30, 2009
    Yes, the game has its problems. There's a very vocal minority out there with connection issues, and it sucks, but it's not as bad as many claim. Currently, the major issue is the Crash to Desktop and problematic stat tracking. Overall the game itself is quite fun. I'd like to give the game a better review, but it's certainly not fixed yet.
  9. Maxwell
    Jun 28, 2009
    The game is great, the company that coded it and published it? A joke. No QA. Whining CEO's. Very sad. This could've had a lot of potential. Please GPG, sell this off to a good company.
  10. GS
    Jun 23, 2009
    Felt unfinished in both design and polish. Lots of promise and hype but simply failed to deliver on expectations. That said it was fun for a few hours but lost it's interest quickly.
  11. SerraS.
    Jun 18, 2009
    I don't have any online problems anymore. This is a multiplayer game - single player is just a practice. However...Ive done tournaments with every demigod all the way through...so its still fun. This game is original and fun...you have to re-learn some stuff about gaming as this simply does stuff that lots of people wont have come across before. This is an excellent game and I would I don't have any online problems anymore. This is a multiplayer game - single player is just a practice. However...Ive done tournaments with every demigod all the way through...so its still fun. This game is original and fun...you have to re-learn some stuff about gaming as this simply does stuff that lots of people wont have come across before. This is an excellent game and I would urge people to grab it...its LOADS of fun and superb graphics....with lots of new & free content promised by devs. Expand
  12. RAbulon
    May 30, 2009
    No copy protection and no issues encountered here! Easy enough to get a quick game in, and low enough in complexity for just about anyone to pick up. Not that there weren't any 'hiccups' in playing, but just didn't see any of the problems that others have seen. Go figure.
  13. RobB
    May 25, 2009
    Like many recent releases this game has it's share of faults, however, once you get through these faults you are met with a reasonably well balanced multiplayer strategy by combining strong rpg elements game with a refreshing spin on the genre.

It can be argued that DotA is the inspiration for this game, however, this game pulls off what it does very well and is worth trying if you are tired of an already over crowded rts genre dominated by tank rushing.
  14. ThomasK
    May 23, 2009
    demigod is a good game i kind of hesitated to get it because i hate dota (the game it's based on) it has 8 different and nicely made demigods you can chose from who are each balanced to fight a variety of modes . the multiplayer connectivity is a bit of a downside though
  15. JohnB
    May 21, 2009
    As fun as it is to white-knight an indie company like Stardock, Demigod is simply not a good game. The connection problems continue to plague it over a month after release, so the reviews that panned it for connectivity issues are absolutely right. More importantly, the game lacks content, even in comparison to free custom maps. It suffers performance issues for no apparent reason, as As fun as it is to white-knight an indie company like Stardock, Demigod is simply not a good game. The connection problems continue to plague it over a month after release, so the reviews that panned it for connectivity issues are absolutely right. More importantly, the game lacks content, even in comparison to free custom maps. It suffers performance issues for no apparent reason, as well as CTD bugs and balance issues. It has no meaningful single-player and the multiplayer modes are mostly unenjoyable fluff. There really is no reason to buy this if you have even a passing interest in DoTA or similar maps, because you will find more content there. Wait for League of Legends. Expand
  16. SamS
    May 20, 2009
    All the reviews that give this game a low score because of the multiplayer issues doesn't do it justice. Yes it can be annoying but they have already had several patches to help with the connectivity issues. Connecting to people isn't much of a problem anymore. This game is very addicting. This is the first time i've played a game in a while that i can't get enough of. All the reviews that give this game a low score because of the multiplayer issues doesn't do it justice. Yes it can be annoying but they have already had several patches to help with the connectivity issues. Connecting to people isn't much of a problem anymore. This game is very addicting. This is the first time i've played a game in a while that i can't get enough of. This game has a very different playstyle witch turned out do be fantastic. If you don't own this game. you really need to go pick it up. You wont regret it! Expand
  17. AC
    May 20, 2009
    Where do I start? Duplicate game codes during launch week that prevented people from registering to play on-line. Telephone tech support suspended because of the launch of the new title forced you to use slow e-mail support that took days or weeks depending on your issue. Network play was bad and then became horrible after a slew of patches; one made the game constantly crash when you Where do I start? Duplicate game codes during launch week that prevented people from registering to play on-line. Telephone tech support suspended because of the launch of the new title forced you to use slow e-mail support that took days or weeks depending on your issue. Network play was bad and then became horrible after a slew of patches; one made the game constantly crash when you couldn't connect to other players. Don't know how many patches they're up to now (both client and server even though it's a bad p2p setup) but it seems to be a little better with perhaps a 60% success rate at getting a game going. Users' machines, port forwarding (like almost all UDP!) connections, whatever is being blamed but it's the network element that is broken. Some people had no issues and then had issues after certain patches. Those with NAT in the EU beware and those in the US with DSL may also run into issues, still. Just check out their forums. Today is ANOTHER patch day! Microsoft has NOTHING compared to them!!! Collapse
  18. MichaelT
    May 20, 2009
    One of the best game out there these last years. Amazing graphims, beautiful visual and astonishing sounds. Very deep gameplay "easy to play, hard to master". There was some connectivity issue at the launch, but Stardock (publisher) did a great great job to fix the game. More improvements, free content patches with new demigods are coming. On the long-term this game will own everything. One of the best game out there these last years. Amazing graphims, beautiful visual and astonishing sounds. Very deep gameplay "easy to play, hard to master". There was some connectivity issue at the launch, but Stardock (publisher) did a great great job to fix the game. More improvements, free content patches with new demigods are coming. On the long-term this game will own everything. Try it, you will love it! And the price is more than correct for that amazing game ! (39.95 u$d only) Expand
  19. BartK
    May 20, 2009
    Takes one of the most addictive addons (Dota) and turns it into a full pvp competitive game with gorgeous graphics... no complaints here.
  20. GeoffP
    May 20, 2009
    An excellent game really. I've never played DOTA having never been too much into warcraft, but I've found the game a lot of fun. There are the obvious and oft reiterated caveats, the multiplayer can be more than a little frustrating, and with so much attention paid to getting the multiplayer to work properly, other issues have gone by the waist side...hopefully the back burner An excellent game really. I've never played DOTA having never been too much into warcraft, but I've found the game a lot of fun. There are the obvious and oft reiterated caveats, the multiplayer can be more than a little frustrating, and with so much attention paid to getting the multiplayer to work properly, other issues have gone by the waist side...hopefully the back burner is a more apt phrase. I'm wondering if this will pan out as a genre is my biggest concern. When I play, I sometimes wonder if they couldn't have made it into an action game, either first or third person. You're reliant on real time actions and control only one avatar on the field. Is the point and click interface really the right one? It seems RTS are the way they are because you have to have control over a lot of troops/units. Whereas this seems to be an action game for people acclimated to the RTS gameplay...perhaps. I'm a little put off by the idea that it's a strategy game, it's more of an animated board game with real time responses required. And the notion that it's an RPG is inappropriate as well. While you level up in game, the number of levels attainable is limited, and those things don't carry over to the next game (I'm sure that is well understood prior to reading my comments). So deep down I'm not sure what it is or why they did it, but I am having fun playing it. I wonder if it's genuinely a good game or if the novelty will wear off though. Expand
  21. TOHanlon
    May 19, 2009
    Basically, the online portion of this game is broken (at least for many players). There is no single player game to speak of. There are few maps and little other content. Nevertheless, the game has some potential if they ever fix the multiplayer component. Would not recommend in its current state of disrepair.
  22. EmilM
    May 8, 2009
    This game is complete utter crap, it has no strategical depth and is deliberately made to either steal money from DotA players or get people who have never played DotA to play this game without realising how bad it is, if you compare.
  23. BlindF.fa
    May 1, 2009
    After playing this game on the first day I got to say: this game is definitely worth the money. There's not much to get out of the singleplayer but the multiplayer is absolutely great.
  24. johannesk
    Apr 28, 2009
    Looking fine in begining the game reveals major flaws pretty fast. The state it was released remembered me on a early beta and not on a finished game. I was not able to play a single multipalyer game yet, while i tried it for 4 hours (on seperated days)
  25. DanielC
    Apr 26, 2009
    Demigod is an amazing game. It is also supported by a company that is very personal with its customers. I am confident that any multiplayer issues will be resolved soon and the rest of the game makes up for any launch hiccups. Its a beautiful, captivating game that will keep you awake for many hours longer than you probably should be.
  26. JoeyF
    Apr 25, 2009
    This is a great blend of RTS, RPG, and action. Like many have said, this is very reminiscent of the Warcraft III custom scenario DotA. Demigod is a deep and challenging multiplayer game, and there's also single player options such as skirmish and tournament (versus the AI). There is no campaign however. If you enjoy multiplayer, then that shouldn't be an issue because this is This is a great blend of RTS, RPG, and action. Like many have said, this is very reminiscent of the Warcraft III custom scenario DotA. Demigod is a deep and challenging multiplayer game, and there's also single player options such as skirmish and tournament (versus the AI). There is no campaign however. If you enjoy multiplayer, then that shouldn't be an issue because this is one beastly multiplayer game. If this game gets enough popularity I can see it being a game at pro tourneys. Lastly, this game is very very addicting. My only complaint is that there isn't many Demigods or maps to choose from at the moment, but that will be resolved updates sooner or later! Expand
  27. AnonymousMC
    Apr 25, 2009
    when you can get into a game (i know connection issues have been somewhat of a problem) this game is a VERY enjoyable experience. I never played DOTA but i've heard this is largely based on it but takes it a small step foward. Either way it's beyond fun and addicting if you want to get good. I wouldn't call it rts and i wouldn't call it rpg. It's somewhat awhen you can get into a game (i know connection issues have been somewhat of a problem) this game is a VERY enjoyable experience. I never played DOTA but i've heard this is largely based on it but takes it a small step foward. Either way it's beyond fun and addicting if you want to get good. I wouldn't call it rts and i wouldn't call it rpg. It's somewhat a hybrid but even that doesn't do it justice. Go buy it now, you'll get your moneys worth in this game. Expand
  28. KentM
    Apr 24, 2009
    Before I talk about Demigod I have to rant about the pathetic reviewers from the major sites who play a new game on a new multiplayer platform (impulse) on its first day, and give it a low score because of their experience on that first day. How do they expect to have any credibility being so short-sighted and self-serving? The first 3-4 days of a game's life represents .005% of its Before I talk about Demigod I have to rant about the pathetic reviewers from the major sites who play a new game on a new multiplayer platform (impulse) on its first day, and give it a low score because of their experience on that first day. How do they expect to have any credibility being so short-sighted and self-serving? The first 3-4 days of a game's life represents .005% of its life span, yet the reviewers are such noobs that they judge the game only by the startup woes that ANY new game, much less one on a new platform will have. These reviewers need a trip behind the chemical shed. As to Demigod: Great fun, great action, and once the multiplayer settled down after 48 hours it became much easier to get a game and start having fun. The Pantheon is a great idea. There are some balance issues but they'll be worked out over time. Do yourself a favor and go buy this game. And Gamespot and especially 1up: GROW up. Do you have some reason you want the PC game industry to go away? Expand
  29. ChrisD
    Apr 22, 2009
    Demigod is an amazing game with amazing potential. With fun gameplay, many modes, and a excellently balanced Demigod is a overall great game. Demigods only problem in the game is some connectivity issues which are being addressed.
  30. MikeO
    Apr 22, 2009
    Had high hopes but have been disappointed. The game isn't polished as many say, and it doesn't live up to it's predecessor, DOTA. But what's really a problem, is the god-forsaken peer to peer system. Expect to sit around for 10-15 minutes to find games. I mean, sometimes they will load up fairly quickly, but at the moment, I've been waiting over 20 minutes to try Had high hopes but have been disappointed. The game isn't polished as many say, and it doesn't live up to it's predecessor, DOTA. But what's really a problem, is the god-forsaken peer to peer system. Expect to sit around for 10-15 minutes to find games. I mean, sometimes they will load up fairly quickly, but at the moment, I've been waiting over 20 minutes to try to start a game! Expand
  31. RobB
    Apr 22, 2009
    Really liking this game a lot. I liked Dota as well but it's a hard game to get into with such a hardcore base. This offers a place for newcomers to more easily shine and find each other to battle with. It's deep, it's fun and it looks gorgeous.
  32. AdamR
    Apr 22, 2009
    First of all, going to state to anyone who hasn't or refuses to say the game isn't influenced or solely based on DotA needs to get a reality check, it is relevant to the topic at hand as it is almost a direct port but with custom graphics and sound. Stop being retarded. Outside of that, the game is solid fun, to a degree. You choose one of 8 demigods, either a General (Leader of First of all, going to state to anyone who hasn't or refuses to say the game isn't influenced or solely based on DotA needs to get a reality check, it is relevant to the topic at hand as it is almost a direct port but with custom graphics and sound. Stop being retarded. Outside of that, the game is solid fun, to a degree. You choose one of 8 demigods, either a General (Leader of a small regiment of an army or can go solo) or an Assassin (Like the general, but no army and more focused on killing then reinforcing, also, Assassin makes no sense, Champion or Guardian would of been more appropriate). The graphics are stunningly beautiful and the music score is grand. The levels are cleverly designed and balanced. So you ask, why a 7? The game is riddled with ridiculous bugs and game mechanics. First and foremost, online play is terrifyingly laggy, regardless of connection or system, and it resets favor points AND achievements, making those two systems bugged out the butt (some achievements are tough to get. If you get them in single player and decide to go multiplayer, all your effort goes out the door). The differences between Generals and Assassins are moot, there is no difference besides one can have a small army with them. You can play both sides similarly, which makes no sense. The general should not be able to be solo and do great on his or her own as would an Assassin. Finally, the favor system favors destruction. A few of the demigods aren't built to be offensive, and playing one hurts you. Such as Sedna, she's a healer as Oak is more defensive. If you play these characters they way they are designed, you'll earn enormously less points if you do otherwise, making it unfair or unwise to choose them. These bugs are in the game as of release, supposedly getting patched soon. I suggest waiting for them to do so before purchasing or before going multiplayer. Expand
  33. AaronS
    Apr 21, 2009
    Great, very addictive game that offers a slick retail package where before there had only been a community mod (DotA). The complaints about net-code and beta-style issues were mostly due to a certain retailer breaking street date, and the release servers not being available yet. I haven't encountered massive problems with lag or issues finding matches yet. Some tweaks are needed, Great, very addictive game that offers a slick retail package where before there had only been a community mod (DotA). The complaints about net-code and beta-style issues were mostly due to a certain retailer breaking street date, and the release servers not being available yet. I haven't encountered massive problems with lag or issues finding matches yet. Some tweaks are needed, especially to the UI and the way commands are issued, but it's generally very straightforward and easy to comprehend. No story to speak of, but Stardock and Gas-Powered Games both focus on game, not story as game, so it works quite well for what it is. Expand
  34. radiobabylon
    Apr 21, 2009
    Great idea, terrible execution. no singleplayer past skirmishes (or a string of skirmishes for a "tournament") and horrible multiplayer connectivity issues lead to a game that isnt fun to play alone, and isnt fun to try and play with others. sure, the problems may get shook out in time... but why would you want to buy the game before then? just wait until you hear its straightened out.
  35. ktvsun
    Apr 21, 2009
    This game is awesome. I loved dota but was growing tired of shitty gfx. Demigod is now my favorite multiplayer game. Sure there is no story but who cares? If you want stories go play final fantasy.
  36. scottl
    Apr 20, 2009
    I think the offline part is highly polished and apart from MP trouble the game deserves a 10. But 9/10 is all i can give. Good to see a game released with almost no bugs. Stardock and GPG are good at what they do.
  37. EdenS
    Apr 20, 2009
    This is a great, great game. DotA was awesome, and so is this. Hell, the only reason the scores are low is because of a rocky release, not because the GAME is bad.
  38. AnonymousMC
    Apr 20, 2009
    This is a fantastic game for the price. You can find this new on places like Newegg for $34.99 which is a steal. I suggest watching some YouTube videos of the gameplay and kind of get an idea of what it's like. I only give it an 8 since there is ZERO tutorials and help. There is a skirmish mode where you can play against AI to get the hang of it, but it's all trial and error.This is a fantastic game for the price. You can find this new on places like Newegg for $34.99 which is a steal. I suggest watching some YouTube videos of the gameplay and kind of get an idea of what it's like. I only give it an 8 since there is ZERO tutorials and help. There is a skirmish mode where you can play against AI to get the hang of it, but it's all trial and error.

Gameplay = 10
    Ease of use = 5
  39. RyanB
    Apr 19, 2009
    I've been playing this game over my personal LAN with my roommates and friends for the last couple days since it's release. So far we've found it to be a fantastic multiplayer experienced. The developers have reported that the major issues with the online play are due to the large number of pirated copies floating around. Approximately 18,000 copies of the game were sold in I've been playing this game over my personal LAN with my roommates and friends for the last couple days since it's release. So far we've found it to be a fantastic multiplayer experienced. The developers have reported that the major issues with the online play are due to the large number of pirated copies floating around. Approximately 18,000 copies of the game were sold in the first few days, but over 120,000 players were pinging the master servers. Pirated copies can't actually log on to play online, but they can still slow the servers down considerably. If you liked DoTA, or are a fan of RPG/RTS hybrids, I'd recommend ignoring the critics and giving this game a shot, if you have friends to play with. Expand
  40. ChristopherW
    Apr 19, 2009
    This is an amazing game! Is it perfect
  41. SimonG
    Apr 19, 2009
    No single player mode, no tutorial, steep learning curve, connectivity issues, and only a half dozen maps. This isn't a good game. It's like the disappointing multiplayer mode of a good game.
  42. AndrewB
    Apr 19, 2009
    Great game. Worth of the price. I can't stop playing this game - it's fun, addictive, and the online competition is great. I know I'll be coming back to this game for months to come. Give yourself a treat and BUY THIS GAME.
  43. ViO
    Apr 18, 2009
    This is a very fun addictive game. It's a blast playing multiplayer online 5v5. I really like rts games but I'm not good at manage a whole army. Demigod is perfect for me since I only need to manage 1 unit.
  44. EBJ
    Apr 18, 2009
    This game almost deserves the 10 that the developers were going for. Yes this is a DotA clone; it takes what was great about dota and really built on it while discarding some of what made DotA annoying at times. The 'professional' reviewers who rated this under 80/100 are insane; they couldn't possibly be talking about the same game.
  45. JoeL
    Apr 18, 2009
    Great game and will be even better once the multiplayer issues are resolved, (already seeing marked improvement) and I am looking forward to added features and new Demigods.
  46. EricB
    Apr 18, 2009
    This game is a lot of fun! If you are someone who enjoys strategy games I would highly recommend this. The gameplay is solid and the graphics look amazing. One of the best looking games out today. Check it out!
  47. JonW
    Apr 18, 2009
    they would know this game is simple without last hits, denies, and jungling. So lets get this straight guys. If you are new to this style of game, never played DotA, yes, it is fun. It is fun to see highly detailed monsters level up and destroy other monsters. It is fun to watch yourself completely roll over competitors. But keep in mind that this is a VERY simplistic game. Use this only they would know this game is simple without last hits, denies, and jungling. So lets get this straight guys. If you are new to this style of game, never played DotA, yes, it is fun. It is fun to see highly detailed monsters level up and destroy other monsters. It is fun to watch yourself completely roll over competitors. But keep in mind that this is a VERY simplistic game. Use this only as an introduction to the genre, as it takes everything that made AoS games difficult and cuts it out, leaving only the fatty parts. What does this mean? It means this game will never be competitive. This game will not have the effect of Counter-strike or DotA. What this means is that the multiplayer base will probably die within a year or so. Gameplay 6.0 All issues aside, the game is fun, and is targeted at newcomers to the genre. This game is a great introduction to the genre. But if I were you, I would wait for League of Legends. Score: 6.5. Expand
  48. AnonymousMC
    Apr 18, 2009
    I wanted to jump in with my own review of Demigod b/c it seems like the official review sites are downgrading the score unfairly. This game is a lot of fun! I'm more of an action RPGer, and never cared much for RTSs, but this games suits me perfectly. Very deep gameplay, and requires more strategy than traditional RPGs.
    I'm sure they'll figure out the networking issues.
    I'm sure they'll figure out the networking issues. The bummer is Gamespots 65 and IGNs 50 may scare people away from one of the most unique & creative gameplay experiences I've had in a while.
  49. Alway
    Apr 18, 2009
    Great game, combines RTS and RPG quite nicely. The MP issues described by the 'professional' reviews have supposedly been fixed with the day 2 patch (I personally haven't tried MP yet). Judging by the forums, future patches will increase the number of maps and demigods available. If there is one thing Stardock is good at, its post release support.
  50. Jorune2112
    Apr 18, 2009
    Why all the low reviews for Demigod? I play single player almost exlusively because of how difficult I find playing online games. I like to take my time. Demigod is one of the first games that has drawn me to the online world, and I am having a blast with it. For those older, this brings back the days of playing Guantlet. Its actioney, yet very strategic. You have eight different Demigods Why all the low reviews for Demigod? I play single player almost exlusively because of how difficult I find playing online games. I like to take my time. Demigod is one of the first games that has drawn me to the online world, and I am having a blast with it. For those older, this brings back the days of playing Guantlet. Its actioney, yet very strategic. You have eight different Demigods to choose from. Each has almost two different skill paths to go down. You can mix and match, but for uber damage, you'll want to specialise. My online experience has been better than most because I play with a 'guild', per say, so its easier to play. People are also knocking the lack of a true single player campaign, yet they said this from the very beginning. It's also been priced accordingly ($40 msrp at the time of this writing, $10 less than normal releases). And for those who don't know, Stardock supports their games VERY well. As a matter of fact, head on over to the Demigod forums where Stardocks CEO, Brad (Frogboy) Wardell regularly posts and answers the concerns of the community. Know any other game companies CEO's who'll personally answer your questions? No, I don't know any either. This game is just plain FUN FUN FUN! Expand
  51. JohnD.
    Apr 17, 2009
    People are complaining about the multiplayer/online issues and it's basically dragging this game down altogether, but the latter is being resolved. The game requires no tutorial, as a 12 year old could learn how to play it in thirty minutes. Lack of content? Maps? Demigods? That could all be added sooner or later with patches or DLCs. All these "issues" however are not contributing People are complaining about the multiplayer/online issues and it's basically dragging this game down altogether, but the latter is being resolved. The game requires no tutorial, as a 12 year old could learn how to play it in thirty minutes. Lack of content? Maps? Demigods? That could all be added sooner or later with patches or DLCs. All these "issues" however are not contributing in me giving this game a low score. This thing has sucked me in. You'll have a blast whether you play online or single player. A bit more micromanagement would have been great though. Don't trust all the reviews, give this thing a try, as I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. And what's with the 1UP review? They clearly gave it a "C". Isn't that supposed to be a 70? If a C is 50, what would a "D" and an "F" be Metacritic? Expand
  52. Yaz
    Apr 17, 2009
    Basically this is a new version of DOTA (old popular Warcraft 3 map). The problem is the game doesn't improve nearly enough on it to be a hit. We of course get better graphics (not terribly difficult when you're competition is a game released in '02), finally have a variety of maps and a better fleshed out skill system. The problem is it lacks in the most key area, heroes. Basically this is a new version of DOTA (old popular Warcraft 3 map). The problem is the game doesn't improve nearly enough on it to be a hit. We of course get better graphics (not terribly difficult when you're competition is a game released in '02), finally have a variety of maps and a better fleshed out skill system. The problem is it lacks in the most key area, heroes. DotA has a LOT of heroes, all a little different and interesting in their own rights and years behind tweaking, balancing and making them fun. Demigod has 8. Now there is a bit more to the demigod heroes than the DotA ones but that's a huge difference for the main focus of the game. Next demigod has a very basic inventory/equipment system lacking the interesting upgrade paths of DotA. On it's own rights though it's not a bad game. I've ranked it this low mainly due to value. At $40 USD it quite frankly stinks. Even ignoring how it stands against the basically free DotA map this is nothing more than basic copy of the game with new names and graphic engine. There is nothing innovative here and there is very little content (no single player campaign, just mp matches with bots basically) and the basic mp gaming. How much would I pay? Maybe $20-25 and that would mostly be in the hopes there would be future expansions or patches later to expand the heroe roster. At $40 price point I can't help but think it's really going to be hurting the amount of multiplayer matches available at any given time too. Expand
  53. CraigW.
    Apr 17, 2009
    It's fun at first, but the lack of any strategic depth and content makes it dull after just a few plays. You can only spend your day trying to knock down the other guy's towers for so long before you tire of it all. Voice acting is laughable, there's no story. It feels like a $20 package (sort of like Shadowrun was) and should have been priced as such. It's a good It's fun at first, but the lack of any strategic depth and content makes it dull after just a few plays. You can only spend your day trying to knock down the other guy's towers for so long before you tire of it all. Voice acting is laughable, there's no story. It feels like a $20 package (sort of like Shadowrun was) and should have been priced as such. It's a good game, but not a complete game. Online is horribly broken. Expand
  54. DavidS
    Apr 17, 2009
    This is a great game taking all of the pros of DotA and then spicing it up some more with extra maps and an even more cut-throat "death match" appeal. If you like RTS and RPG games, but also love the fast paced action of a multiplayer FPS, this is the game for you! There are minor net code bugs involved connectivity with other players, but these should be resolved in the next patch, and This is a great game taking all of the pros of DotA and then spicing it up some more with extra maps and an even more cut-throat "death match" appeal. If you like RTS and RPG games, but also love the fast paced action of a multiplayer FPS, this is the game for you! There are minor net code bugs involved connectivity with other players, but these should be resolved in the next patch, and the game is still very playable. One nice touch is that if a player leaves or disconnects from your multiplayer game a computer will assume his role, so you are not left with an totally unbalanced game. Expand
  55. AnonymousMC
    Apr 17, 2009
    The game's gameplay is not too bad. It's the same formula as another very popular custrom map of warcraft called DOTA. However, the game has very serious flaws.

Fundamentally, there's very little content in this game. There's little depth and I can forsee that after playing for a little while, the games will become extremely repetitive with so much lacking content.

The other huge problem is the horrible networking. Currently it's extremely difficult to play a multiplayer match and single player is basically non-existant. If you can't play multiplayer, you can't really play the game.
  56. ChrisM
    Apr 16, 2009
    Some people are apparently having issues with the online mutiplayer, which is too bad. On the other hand the game can be played just against computer AI bots of varying difficulties and still incredibly fun. The game is very quick to learn, and games can be pretty short. Longest I've had is about 45 minutes. So it's a nice game for jumping into for a quick gaming session.
  57. JamieL
    Apr 16, 2009
    You can not play this game without comparing it to dota, and no it does not quite match up. That being said it does do a good job of breaking away from a total dota clone by adding an element that makes it advantages to push the lane(every flag you capture gives you a special ability most of them give you more gold). The biggest factor to the success of this game is if they will keep upYou can not play this game without comparing it to dota, and no it does not quite match up. That being said it does do a good job of breaking away from a total dota clone by adding an element that makes it advantages to push the lane(every flag you capture gives you a special ability most of them give you more gold). The biggest factor to the success of this game is if they will keep up with it and make new and characters Expand
  58. MattT
    Apr 15, 2009
    A lot of people want to try to shoot this game down because it's based on Defense of the Ancients, a custom map for WC3. I've never played DotA and I don't have WC3 so the issue is irrelevant to me. I can say that this game is fun, however. It's a cool RTS/RPG blend where you control ONE "super unit" or hero and try to influence the outcome of a large battle to your A lot of people want to try to shoot this game down because it's based on Defense of the Ancients, a custom map for WC3. I've never played DotA and I don't have WC3 so the issue is irrelevant to me. I can say that this game is fun, however. It's a cool RTS/RPG blend where you control ONE "super unit" or hero and try to influence the outcome of a large battle to your team's benefit. Graphics are not mind-blowing but very nice and very scaleable (runs on a laptop with intel graphics just fine). It's fun. Expand
  59. JacobG
    Apr 15, 2009
    Great game, the easy to get in to battles are really fun and addicting. Much deeper than similar games like DotA. If you liked dota, then u will surely like this. the heroes are a little unbalanced at the moment but teamwork is key. The pantheon mp mode gives you a reason to play online.
    Apr 14, 2009
    Very addictive and polished gameplay. It is amazing to LAN, and there isn't too much lag online. The game looks great and runs smooth. I would honestly give it a 10, but it can be a little tedious to find games that will allow you to actually join online. This is something that stardock is addressing and I do have faith (after seeing sins of a solar empire) that they will remedy Very addictive and polished gameplay. It is amazing to LAN, and there isn't too much lag online. The game looks great and runs smooth. I would honestly give it a 10, but it can be a little tedious to find games that will allow you to actually join online. This is something that stardock is addressing and I do have faith (after seeing sins of a solar empire) that they will remedy these problems. The game is very balanced (Every demigod can be OP if used right), and the promise of free maps/new Demigods, and the fact that players can make their own maps (as it is the Supreme commander engine which many modders are familiar with) promise that the game will stay fresh and deliver new refreshing content. I couldn't recommend this more if you were a fan of DoTA, or if you just enjoy fast paced RPG/RTS PVP. Expand
  61. MikailY
    Apr 14, 2009
    Its a 9 out of 10, simply put. As part of a new genre started by DOTA, Demigod really fleshes out every caveat of a RTS/RPG, its deep, innovative, and PERFECT for new comers to the RTS genre. Also with a cheap price $40, and No DRM, a self respecting RTS fan owes it to himself to get in on this fast paced thoughtfully deep game. Thank you GPG and Stardock, this game is great.
  62. AnonymousMC
    Apr 14, 2009
    It's clear upon first blush that Demigod was made by a cabal of geniuses. The balance between units is razor-sharp, complementing superbly the overall vision of this groundbreaking genre-mashup. Undoubtedly, this game will be an underground classic, but will also serve as inspiration for other game development teams.
  63. BenM
    Apr 14, 2009
    This is an extremely fun and accessible RTS/Action RPG hybrid. No real tutorial, but jumping right in is a great way to get the hang of things, and the best way to start playing a great game now!
  64. JakeS.
    Apr 14, 2009
    This is a great Action-RTS from Gas Powered Games. You can tell it was inspired by the Warcraft series and D.O.T.A. but that is a good thing. It takes from that and adds its own style and upgrade system. The Maps are unique and easy to learn, the demigods all have some sort of unique ability which is good. Overall I would say its a great release. The only thing this game is lacking is This is a great Action-RTS from Gas Powered Games. You can tell it was inspired by the Warcraft series and D.O.T.A. but that is a good thing. It takes from that and adds its own style and upgrade system. The Maps are unique and easy to learn, the demigods all have some sort of unique ability which is good. Overall I would say its a great release. The only thing this game is lacking is more playable characters, but hopefully those come soon. Expand

1. The multiplayer focus and a lack of a more traditional, story-driven solo campaign may not sit as well with all players, but the streamlined action-RPG gameplay proves to be seriously addictive in short bursts. The development team managed to inject a surprising level of gameplay depth into such a pared-down RTS design, and it works out.
  2. Online connection issues and a dearth of content keep this fun hybrid game from reigning supreme.
    If you're interested in throwing down cash for a beta and maybe getting in some practice before things get smoothed out, go ahead and bump that score up a letter grade. Anybody else should find something else to do until then.