Deponia PC

8.3

1. Aug 13, 2012
    First of all... great artwork, and a great theme and idea. Sadly, it's just poorly executed. Bad director I'd have to say.

I was very disappointed with this game, and was so looking forward to it. It had great reviews, and an interesting looking trailer, so I'm not sure why I disliked it so much. The voice acting was OK, but the director of the sound wasn't too good. It's as though they didn't have a firm understanding of the English language, or the context of the words they were speaking. Where some lines were questions, they spoke them as statements and vice versa.

I think the biggest problem was that I didn't like the main character. Generally, he simply wasn't a nice person. I didn't see anything at all that made me want him to succeed in his quest. Imagine Guybrush Threepwood, who only wanted to save Elaine because she was hot and could get him to an Island full of riches... that's it. Now imagine him screwing over every single person on his way, and having no likeable characters. No Wally, no Haggis McMutton, no Murray, heck, no LeChuck!

Plot holes, loop hopes, and plenty of bugs. I managed to activate the same cut-scene 4 times, each showing me succeeding at a particular moment in the game. At one point, German subtitles appeared, and at another point, the main character spoke a series of sentences, rather than the correct one, showing that the audio file wasn't correctly edited.

Point and click adventure games are all about the puzzles, and these were just messy. No real direction. I took a break from it for a day, came back to it and had no idea what I was doing. I managed to start a conversation with a man, asking for help on a puzzle I managed to finish a few hours previously. Luckily they had a 'skip' button for many of the most bizzare puzzles, but in all honestly, the majority of the time I just used a walk-through, and that's unheard of for most games I've played through, and I usually try not to, but some of these were so complicated and strange, that I had the choice of trying every possible combination of objects in my inventory with objects or just use a walkthrough. There was very little in the way of logic.

The most disgusting thing was that the game just ends. Again, take Monkey Island for example. Imagine the game just stopping half way through, with no result with a "The End...?"

I will not be buying the second game, and am so angry that I bought this one. It confuses me so much that it's getting such great reviews. I grew up on point and click games, so as I said at the beginning, I am so disappointed.
  2. Jun 7, 2013
    Unlikeable characters, a plot that fluctuates between sarcastic and deadly serious, and puzzles that can only be solved through brute force item combination. This game has a few good moments, but not many.
  3. Jun 14, 2013
    I want to like Deponia, I really do. It’s got a lot going for it. Colourful cartoony graphics, and wacky humour should make for a solid point and click adventure. Two gaping holes however, made me give up in frustration.

What starts with some decent puzzles and clear storyline in the first act leads into a shambles of a second act. I found myself wandering around a town with no idea what I was trying to do, clicking random inventory items on everything in sight. Wake someone up? Brew coffee? Find a lockpick? Who knows? Of course, I don’t expect a game to lead me by the hand, but when I have to read a walkthrough to even know where I’m going, let alone what to do, then something is wrong.

The second problem is that the main character, Rufus, is fundamentally unlikeable. He’s mean, lazy, rude, and downright unpleasant to be around. The kind of person who in real life you’d do anything to avoid being near.

I gave up after an hour or two. Maybe it gets better, but who knows? I’m got better games to play that don’t involve following a complete jerk around while he purloins random garbage.

Verdict: not worth it unless you really, really, need a point and click fix.
  4. Dec 29, 2012
    I spent lots of hours playing to this game, but the solutions were so twisted and absurd, that it became simply unplayable. Even following the walk-through, it was still hard and tedious; I had to hit constantly alt+tab to check almost every action, because there wasn't an overall logical explanation. Just check, if you don't believe me, the solution to "Part I", mission "Make espresso".
  5. Dec 29, 2012
    Almost worthless. I won't talk much about the graphics, it's nice looking, but there is a serious lack of animation, obviously because of the low budget. What really is the problem is the story, which is blend and miserably like the main protagonist. Some people might like playing as unlikable prick, but I just couldn't stand him. The payoff is that everyone else hates him, but that's justAlmost worthless. I won't talk much about the graphics, it's nice looking, but there is a serious lack of animation, obviously because of the low budget. What really is the problem is the story, which is blend and miserably like the main protagonist. Some people might like playing as unlikable prick, but I just couldn't stand him. The payoff is that everyone else hates him, but that's just not enough for me to spend such a long time with this guy. It's also pretty short and the ending is a real insult. Few minor problems with misplaced subtitles (happens quite often) and sometimes crazy solution to a problem or pixelhunting. That, sadly, is a tradition to adventure genre.

Overall, I suggest avoiding it. Adventure games are played because of the story and this one just isn't good enough, plus the hallucinating moron as a "main character".
  6. Aug 19, 2013
    To start, the game has nice graphics. That is the only reason it doesn't get a zero. The main character is a disgusting jerk. I have never played a game with such an unlikable protagonist in all of my years of gaming. I played for about an hour, and just could not take his personality. Why somebody would want to make a character so horrible is beyond me. I suggest that you never buy this game.

1. Nov 6, 2012
    There's a bit of personality and charm in this adventure, but it still lacks a beating heart under the façade of hilarity and bright colours.
  2. Oct 30, 2012
    A good start for the Deponia trilogy, this title has many cards in its sleeve but suffers for its indecision between the old and new approach to game adventure genre.
  3. Oct 15, 2012
    The only think we can ask for is a sequel. Recommended for everyone interested in the genre, with great puzzles and sense of humor. It offers a classic, challenging gameplay, which should be enough to keep fans of the adventures games playing till they finish it.