8.6

1. Jan 19, 2014
    So simple yet so time eating. It is a very clever idea to make every rpg fan happy. It is frustrating and in the same time so relaxing and joyful. You must give this small production a chance, even a 10 minutes, and You will love it forever. This is a new game in great old school style. It will wake Your imagination and make You think. It cause brain ake but You will love that filling. I wish there will be more productions like this one. DD definitely worth of trying. Expand
  2. Apr 2, 2014
    I've played this game for over 60 hours and I still have lots more levels to finish. So obviously I really like the game.
    Desktop Dungeons won't appeal to you if fancy graphics and sound are important to you. The graphics and sound are basic but very serviceable. If you enjoy strategy games with lots of variety, where a game (level) can be completed in 30 - 60 minutes, you will probably
    enjoy this game.
    Good strategies will almost always be the deciding factor, but luck plays a minor role. I found the game a tiny bit frustrating in the early going when I hadn't yet figured out many of the strategies, and when I got a tough dungeon layout it seemed a bit unfair. This would be a bigger problem if completing a level took more time.
  3. Dec 24, 2012
    Fiendishly difficult, but every death teaches you something.
    The game is still in beta as of Dec 2012, and requires a donation for beta access (there is an alpha version that is free and is fully functional and fun in its own right). Many times in a round I'll find myself scratching my head for a full few minutes trying to decide the best course of action. The strategies and tactics are
    surprisingly deep, however there are many optional (yet reward giving) tutorials in the form of (sometimes infuriatingly difficult) puzzles to help players learn advanced tricks and character/race tips. The downsides are mainly in the lack of features as it is still in beta, and for this reviewer, a sense of difficulty almost unto exasperation with the game. However, fans of Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup and crawler games et al. will find a welcome addition to their rouge-like repertoire. Expand
  4. Nov 27, 2013
    This rogue-like game was a serious diamond in the rough for me. As of now i have around 100h on this, and i'm keeping playing it every day or so. Basically you have your little kingdom to grow up, and to do that you need to go in countless dungeons for plunder and trophies to sell. The graphic is fully functional, i find it perfectly fit for it and some of the characters portrait arts are nice/cute/funny. The icons again are well done. The draw off it's like a old 16 bit game from SNES, but seriously it's perfect for this game. The sounds are well done too, the musics are never bad, are etheir good or good enough that don't interfere with your dungeon expirience.
    Playability isn't that good on the other side. It's quite hard and unforgiving in the beginning. You need to learn your way in and no much help comes around. But, if your the kind of player who loves challange in the form of strategy, tactics and... mh matematics... well this game is for you.
    It's seriously hard, it reach the point were you feel almost hopeless, but with enought caparbiety you always find a way to do a thing or the other. So in the end is the kind of difficulty that's fun to go against.
    For 10 euros is a perfect addiction for Rpg/strategy gamers, as i already told i spended 100 hours so far and i'm keep counting. But don't play it if you don't like HARD games, sometimes it feel likes a harder version of darksouls.... only rogue-like... ah ah ah.
  5. Dec 29, 2013
    If only I knew what sort of magic was used at Gamer.nl. The game has tons of content and countless strategies even after a 100 hours of gameplay. A truly unique experience.
  6. Dec 5, 2013
    A great little time waster. Once you get past the learning curve and get a feel for this game it becomes the perfect game snack. Perfect for idling the day away while you wait for a Pizza and watch reruns on Adult Swim...
  7. Dec 7, 2013
    This game is amazing, it's a simple, beautifully designed and balanced strategy/roguelike/puzzle game that will have you stuck to your keyboard for hundreds of hours. It's incredibly deep, it will draw you in so fast and so hard so be prepared for that.
  8. Dec 20, 2013
    I think it's appropriate that my first Metacritic review is for a game that I absolutely adore. I've put in over 75 hours and I'm happily addicted. As someone who enjoys a real challenge in a puzzler roguelike, Desktop Dungeons has it all.

The learning curve is steep but finally clearing a dungeon you've attempted with various races and classes a dozen or two times is thrilling. Having
    knowledge of your glyphs (spells), buffs, and racial/class traits and using that knowledge to just barely eek out a victory against one or more tough bosses in a Hard dungeon is awesome.

The graphics are relatively simple and the music is great. The challenge is here. If you're looking for a fun game that makes you think, this is your deal. 10/10. So much yet to learn....

1. Mar 6, 2014
    One of the best games to come out of the indie dev scene in recent years, Desktop Dungeons takes the best aspects of a roguelike dungeon crawl, distills them down to the essentials, and puts a tactical, puzzle-minded spin on the genre that is not only unique, but brilliantly executed.
  2. Feb 10, 2014
    It’s ugly as sin (upscaled 800 x 600 resolution) and there are no animations but this indie rougelike/puzzle game is addictive as hell. [02/2014, p.63]
  3. Jan 16, 2014
    'Just one more dungeon!' – this is the sort of addictive game that gets a reviewer in trouble for not getting the article done in time.