8.4

1. Aug 28, 2011
    I am a longtime PC gamer who never played the legendary Deus Ex original. In the beginning, this game seems to underwhelm: Detroit's environs are drab and depressing; gameplay options appear limiting; and characters fit into broadly generic molds.

However, Human Revolution improves dramatically several hours in, turning into a spectacular and rare treat: like few before it, this game
    rewards what you put into it. You delve into the intricate plot conspiracy, hack computers for key details and hardware, scan for several ways to take out and evade enemies, and agonize over which augmentations to apply with your precious Praxis points to supplement your playstyle. The art design is also second to none, applying strokes of visual brilliance to a thematically consistent canvas, opening up beautifully once you enter China.

I spent almost 12 continuous hours playing through the middle part of the game - something I've almost never done before. After Mass Effect 2, this is my favorite single-player experience in the last ten years; it is one of those rare gems that reminds you why you love gaming. It rises above the din and drone of todayâ
  2. Aug 28, 2011
    Great Game ! A must have game for a true gamer. there is alot of variation in it. the hacking (ingame mini-games) is a great thing. I like the plot alot ! maybe they should consider building a 'relation' mode in. where you can be friends/enemies with certain characters. but this is just all an extra idea !
  3. Oct 10, 2011
    I really can not understand why this game is so highly praised. The graphics are not impressive, the dialogue is trite, the characters are bland and one dimensional and the upgrades are boring as hell. Actions seem to have no true impact and nothing I encountered made me even raise my eyebrows. If you are among the people that count this as one of your favourite titles I must tell you one thing.

Welcome to the world of videogames, you must be new here.
  4. Jul 2, 2012
    Great game. Lives up to the expectations of the first one. Stealth or combat both work. There are a few issues though. Firstly the dealers don't sell anything worth buying so you end up with a lot of money and nothing to spend it on. Secondly if you go stealthy then you might as well forget about most of the inventory stuff in the game as you can't attach most of the upgrades to stealth weapons. This makes the entire upgrade process mute. Thirdly by the end of the game you will have almost all the augs and most of them aren't that useful.

Perhaps the worst part of this game is the achievements. If you look at any "must do" lists for game achievements you'll find mention of providing some feedback on the status of chievs. DE fails to do that. There are a couple of chievs that you won't know whether you get them or not until the end game. If you somehow mess up along the way you'll never know. I had this for one of the chievs and even though I watched carefully and restarted when I wasn't sure I still didn't get one of them. What dev sat there in the design meetings and said "this is an awesome idea"? They need to be fired. Additionally several of the chievs contract each other so you end up playing sections of the game over again just to unlock them all. This is most obvious if you're trying for the stealth chievs. You'll have to replay several sections twice and you won't know until you've finished the game whether you'll even get them all. This is the devs way of saying "screw you". This game is at the top of my "worst chievs ever list". The purpose of chievs is to reward you for doing something you wouldn't normally do. Not for forcing you to play the entire game a certain way and leave you guessing until the end. The chievs devs need to go back to chievs 101 before they are allowed to design them in the future. This really sored the game for me. Thanks a lot.
  5. May 11, 2013
    Alpha Protocol meets Vampire: Bloodlines, without the bugs, or ambition, of either of them. The result is something usually smooth and playable but never compelling.
  6. Aug 26, 2011
    The original Deus Ex wasnâ
  7. Aug 28, 2011
    Quite enjoyable, already starting my 2nd play-through. I really liked how choices mattered (mostly in conversations, but also in later events). As many have stated, feels like a good successor to the 1st game. On a side note, I do like how deeply philosophical the game becomes without being cheesy or forcing it on the player.
  8. Aug 28, 2011
    It doesn't quite live up to the same epic level as the first game but this is one that any Deus Ex fan should enjoy. For the very beginning you get that great feeling again of the original. Through it's narrative, music, game play, and over all feel it's Deus Ex! I'd love to write a longer review but I gotta get back to playing this game!!!
  9. Aug 28, 2011
    Awesome game with a good story to it. The game played is pretty good and it turn out to be a great game. Go start Deus Ex: Human Revolution! I'm not going to tell you everything or else you won't know what I'm talking about.
  10. Sep 3, 2011
    I have mixed feelings for this game. The best thing about HR is the atmosphere. The world feels vivd and I was fully immersed very quickly. Graphical design is very good and the music is fantastic. The german voice acting is phenomenal. The game feels very polished and the production values are really impressive.

The characters feel very intreresting from the moment you see them, but
    unfortunately many dont really develop thoughout the game. You get to know them only on the surface. Some immediately seem very interesting but are only statists after all. This feels unsatisfying and I would have liked to know more about them.

Also, I didnt like the story so much. Although the setting is fascinating, the embedded story feels thin and the pacing is awkward. It doesnt do justice to the great atmotphere of the game. I would have liked more different quests to connect more to the world.
    And while the cities are incredibly well done and rich in detail. The other areas feel a bit bland and monotonous in comparison.
    I would rate this game between 8 and 9.
  11. Sep 10, 2011
    Utter disappointment. Steaming pile of rushed, uninspired gaming excrement.

*Cover system: terrible and confining.
    *Maps: confusing and incomplete.
    *Combat: outdated and random. *City Hubs: like VTMB but worse. Convoluted and deceptively small. The feel bigger than they are due to the fact that, since you can't tell one area from another, so you never know where you are or how far
    you've gone.
    *Bosses: actually make the game worse. MUCH worse. Out of place, poorly designed, completely uninteresting.
    *Voice acting: must have been done by the interns. (I'll never get this... millions of dollars to produce a game and developers can't get decent voice acting? I swear I could do better than these hack voice actors, and I wouldn't even require union wages.)
    *Graphics: does Eidos think that making everything blurry makes it look better? Guess what: it doesn't. Some of the recurring (and out-of-place ) props look like they were drawn by someone who had never seen a real-life example. Hey Eidos, that recurring store you put in Hengsha 50 times doesn't look futuristic, it looks like Nintendo 64. *Character models: Does everyone in 2027 drink 37 Red Bulls an hour?

*Story: would be mediocre all on its own, but is rendered completely meaningless by the fact that the main character is a self-contradictory, detached robot who seems brilliant and educated in one moment and then socially, strategically, or tactically retarded in the next. 10 hours into the game, I forgot what was even happening. I still couldn't tell someone else the plot if they held a gun to my head.

This game should get a zero, but I will give it ONE POINT: nipples. Well, almost nipples, but there is no selection for a half point.

Do not buy this terrible game, unless it is the first game you have ever played and you have money to burn. In that case, you might marvel at its elements, which appear outdated and generally terrible to anyone who has played a video game since 2005.

the end.
  12. Nov 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Buyer beware" should be stuck to the front of the box. Being a huge fan of the original I had my reserved concerns about the new title. But, **** me, was I in for a rather unpleasant surprise. Outdated "consolized" graphics and even worse controls, increasingly annoying door hacks, piss-poor AI, generically bland weapons, god-awful cover system and many more. However, all of that bleaks in comparison to, you guessed it, BOSS FIGHTS! In a stealth game! WTF, Eidos? What have you been smoking, when you decided that a full-stealth character (no armour, no aim stabilization - no combat skills at all) can take a minigun-wielding tank of a boss? At least you managed to leave some gas canisters and exploding barrels around the room, but still - this is Deus Ex (sort of) not Quake. For the second boss you have to have EMP Shielding or you'll end up running around spraying lead all over the place trying to catch those telltale circles on the water surface. Up to that point I encountered exactly zero EMP attacks, what on Earth would compel me to get the aug which is in a 'combat' branch I haven't even unlocked yet? Oh, and we still have to stack crates, when all the other cyberheroes learned to climb. All in all, it left a stale, utterly disappointing aftertaste. Your game style (combat/stealth) has no influence on how your boss fights unfold or the choices you get at the end ("push a button to complete the game"). Only buy if you can get it dirt-cheap. Expand
  13. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is not for the faint of heart or people looking for a walk in the park. It will challenge you. I liked the combat system, the music, and the atmosphere of the game a lot. The art and graphics were not so good. I thought that it needed a lot more polish.

The game's design is the result of a LOT of iteration and it really shows. The story was mediocre to boring plus it was
    incredibly linear, though I didn't really mind that too much. What really keeps you playing the game is the combat. It takes a lot of patience and planning to get through from room to room. This gives the game a feeling of length and it's something that makes it drag on just a bit too much. Overall it was a good game and I had fun playing it, but I played it over 6 months and logged some 24 hours into it, so hardly addictive or suspenseful to the point that I couldn't put it down. I usually beat games in a week to two weeks for reference. Expand
  14. Sep 18, 2011
    Being a person who didn't enjoy the original Deus Ex (though, admittedly, I had played it 10 years after its original release date), I didn't expect much from this game but hype. That could be the reason why I enjoyed it as much as I did, though. It seemed almost as if it was made for consoles, even though I know it was made for PCs. It had a few bugs here and there, and I thought the first boss was very OP, but I still enjoyed playing this game very much. The story line was hit and miss, and depended a lot (almost entirely) on Adam's love interest. The hacking system was INCREDIBLY well designed, forcing me to think strategically every time I had to get through a door, open a safe, etc. All hacking was also done in real time, meaning that the world around you doesn't go on a lunch break just because you need to get though a door, you will still be shot at. This game did a LOT of things right, and even if you rated this game a 0, you must admit that it had something that every game could learn from. Expand
  15. Aug 30, 2011
    Excellent game! This is everything and more I could have hoped for. I'm about half way through and taking my time, lookiing in every corner. I'm playiing stealth and have not killed a single person (except the boss which you must). It's challenging and fun and makes you think through everything strategically which is what a great game should do -- you shouldn't be able to pick up an 'awesome' overpowered weapon and then hit the 'awesome key' to kill everything in sight. Thank you sooooo much Eidos for keeping the same feel and intensity as the original -- you have outdone yourself. To all the complainers (all 35 of you at the time of this review), perhaps you should upgrade your computers or lower your graphic settings, etc., as I've not had any problems with running this game with DX11. Expand
  16. Aug 29, 2011
    I had heard the hype about Deus Ex: HR, but truthfully wasn't interested. On a whim however, lacking anything to do, and being too lazy to drive to the store and purchase a new game, I ended-up purchasing it on Steam. It was worth every penny.

The game starts as a simplistic FPS set in an intriguing time and setting. After the first intro sequence, and the title credits rolled, I was
    hooked, and ran a marathon game session over the next two days that I had free from work.

The voice acting is entertaining. The story starts simple, and then develops into a large conspiracy. I had to keep playing to see what was next. One of the key places where the game shines is the ability to complete an objective through multiple means. Sneak into a location? Go in guns blazing? Combine the two? Possibly talk your way in. Its key to remember, that not all options are equally viable in all situations, something that I feel many players forget if they're "chosen" playstyle is the one which isn't catered to.

Having never been a fan of the original, I can't relate how "similar" the two feel. I will say that this game engrossed me, and was a welcome change from the military shooter glut found everywhere else nowadays. I'd also like to say that the dialogue system is probably the best currently available in the game, and has more depth than BioWare's recent offering in Dragon Age 2. My only hope is that BioWare is taking notes.

There are definitely flaws, but I feel that the game itself is greater than the sum of its parts. If you're interested in a story that's more than simply "shoot this, go here, rinse repeat", then definitely give the game a try. I won't say that everyone will like it. But if I was handing out awards, it would definitely be in the consideration for PC game of the year.
  17. Aug 30, 2011
    I wanted to give this a 10, because I really like this game, ALOT. There are a few problems though. First off, some of the cities are a nightmare to navigate: I want to enter this building, I am on the "main street", but there is no entrance at all, the only entrance to the building is having me climb around and about for 5-10 minutes until I found the backalley (could probably be done faster afterwards), that is really annoying, and it doesn't seem "realistic" in a game that, in its world at least, tries to be somewhat realistic. I don't want to spend 5-10min running around finding an entrance, that is annoyance, not good gameplay, especially when there SHOULD be a much more approachable entrance.

2nd, I have setup my vista os to allow for maximum performance in games. In The Witcher 2 (arguably prettier than Deus Ex) I am getting 30+ FPS (everything except for ubersampling on max) and no weird or occassional drops in fps for no apparent reason. Granted I have nVidia and TW2 loves nVidia, DEHR loves ATI, I also know that engines work differently. But with the way I setup my OS and the fact that my gfx card is running at 40-70% (almost never touching 90%), and I still get choppy framerates is infuriating, that should not be happening.
    It should be said, the drop in framerates and the choppy framerates happens nomatter what graphics settings I use. Max, medium, low, custom, tesselation on/off, etc. So I assume that this is something that will be fixed with a driver from nVidia or a patch from eidos. If it does get fixed, then the real score should be 9/10 for this game imo.

Other than that; I love the atmosphere, I love the game world (except for the problem stated previously), I love the VA, the combat is good (AI could be better, but that goes for almost all games), the graphics ARE pretty and I really love the art style. So, some people may find the two points I pointed out to be very minor things, to me they can make me shut down the game for a time and therefore ruin the gaming experience.
  18. Nov 7, 2011
    Another example of wild inflated reviews from the press. This is a very average game, the graphics are average, the voice over/scripting are average, the story is very linear and... average. The most fun I had is stacking up unconscious bodies in amusingly large piles. There are no significant choices to be made, you're the good guy, and the bad guy is bad. The original Deus Ex at least made some attempt to branch the story in a meaningful way. The progression system is also pretty much devoid of choice because you will end up with all the worthwhile options maxed anyway, the only decision you make is the order in which you max them.

It's a really average game folks, why the hype?
  19. Aug 29, 2011
    As close as you can get to matching the original which Eidos and Ion Storm threw at us in 2000. Classic one-liners, freedom of choice gameplay, beautiful visuals, incredible story and character development, and a vision of the year 2027 that brings to me an endless list of anticipations. If you are a fan of the masterpiece Deus Ex, then you will have no problems with the third installment in the series and my personal candidate for Game of the Year- Deus Ex Human Revolution. Expand
  20. Sep 2, 2011
    bad game. dull level design. mediocre storyline. bad 3rd person behaviour when using cover (which is very important in this game). No multiplayer, bad FMV, bad controlls. bad bad bad. Don't buy.
  21. Aug 29, 2011
    Don't believe the hype. This is nothing more than a decent action game that feels like it should have been released in 2007. The promises of "play any way you want" means a choice between stealth or assault, on maps with alternate paths. Nothing you have not seen before. The writing and voice acting are terrible, especially when compared to games like Mass Effect 2 or LA Noire, and the mannequin like animations reminded me of GTA IV. The worst part about this game is it's shamefully poor renditions of real world cities none of the staff have obviously ever visited. The game starts off in Detroit 16 years in the future with buildings that are miles apart in real life, renamed and placed next to each other on roads that either don't exist, or are not supposed to intersect. This is not an open world game either, the maps are very restrictive, and if you fail a mission, instead of restarting, you continue on with all the other characters telling you how disappointed they are with your performance. They marketed that as a feature. What really threw me off were the high reviews from sources I usually trust. When a game is this well received, it usually does either something truly innovative, or raises the bar on an enjoyed gameplay mechanic. This game is nothing more than a collection of elements from other genres of games that do what this is trying to do better. Expand
  22. Aug 28, 2011
    This game is amazing, it does a great job giving Deus-ex fans what they want, it may have horrible graphics and textures on consoles, but on the PC, man, it looks amazing, the story is great and the game, as it is, is fantastic, I've played thru it for 4 times already, trying with different augs.

Get this game if you want to spend a looooot of time finishing a game and enjoying it at the
    same time. Expand
  23. Aug 30, 2011
    Bad porting for controller on pc again. I have a disability in my right hand so need to use a gamepad to play.
    The controlling I find so sluggish and lagging that I can barely hit the enemy. After 40 mins I managed to take out 4 guys.......the lag is alot less with mouse....
    Of course I checked all the usual culprits and everything's fine, my 360 works okay with most other games....another
    raw deal for pc gamepad players and a waste of £30. There is no excuse for this when other games get it right!!! Expand
  24. Nov 6, 2011
    I am essentially a PC gamer I've played far too many games on my always evolving gaming machine over the last 17 years & my all-time favourite game ever was the original Deus Ex.
    So, despite my initial skepticism when I first heard about this game ,thinking it was going to be a dumbed down version of the original ( DE2 anyone) I eventually gave in to the hype and bought it.

I immediately
    didn't like the look of the game . The modified Crystal Dynamics engine makes it look & feel like a console game. The overall yellowish hue that has been lauded by some irritated the hell out of me. I mean I really hate it , this alone would be enough to ruin the game for me if it didn't have so many other glaring flaws. The incongruity of some of the graphics was laughable. Some of the 2d backgrounds look like they were drawn by a four year old with a blunt crayon. An absolute terrible choice of graphics engine.
    It is completely devoid of the atmosphere which was a big part of what made Deus Ex so great .
    So many other games look & feel so much better and have infinitely more atmosphere. Eg. Crysis 2, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Rage etc even the very consoley Mass Effect,
    Of course sub standard graphics are easy to overlook if the gameplay is good . I personally thought the cover system was ok - again it adds to the overall console feel of the game the way it jumps to 3rd person but it was well implemented & it did come in handy. As has been mentioned by others the hacking system quickly becomes tedious and most of the hacking augs are pointless. The weapons were ok if not unoriginal & uninspiring. The auto-kill button (stealth kill) & the Typhoon is pure cheese. The AI is generally sub par . The level design feels narrow & claustrophobic yet it still manages to make navigation difficult at times. The navigational map is truly pointless and clunky to use. There is no feeling of contrast between the different level like in the original 10 yr old game. (Such as the large open world maps , dank sewers & undersea labs in Deus Ex) . As for the RPG elements this game is linear as hell , you don't really get to make choices that matter and as other reviewers have pointed out it doesn't matter if you butcher everything in sight or try and stealth your way through the entire game (btw, you can't) . This becomes very evident at the ending of the game which was just ridiculous.
    The combat is ok , the weapon models are acceptable but this all turns to excreta when you encounter your first (what the ..) boss battle! Really , boss battles in Deus Ex? The overall length of the game is way shorter than the original , it lacks it's depth , it's choice, it's atmosphere . It won't make you want to play it again and again. It failed to deliver what much older games of the same genre to Deus Ex did like Blood Lines:Masquerade & System Shock.
    This game would have been a mediocre 5 or 6 if it didn't have the words Deus Ex attached to it but IT DID so it gets a fat zero.
    Don't waste your time or money.
    On the upside , Skyrim is out in a few days - it will have over 300 hrs of RPG gameplay goodness.
  25. m0s
    Feb 18, 2012
    I've been an avid gamer since the days of owning my amstrad 464. I've played many games over the years. For me, Deus ex falls into the category of an over hyped game that fails to live up to expectations. It reminds me of an inferior version of Splinter Cell. Adam jenson, the main protagonist uses augmentations to give him special abilities, but i never really feel like he's anything special. It's like they designed the abilities around a players needs. Theres always something there you can use to negate an aspect of gameplay. For example if you can't be bothered to hack you can use automatic unlocking devices; if you find it too taxing to negotiate areas with enemies they'll allow you to see through walls or if you want to be immune to the effects or concussions or gas grenades you can have that too. The skills don't really add anything special to the gameplay. It's like they have gone to great lengths to accomodate the needs of your average short attention span console player.

Exploring the graphically uninspiring environment is pretty pointless. I got tired of hacking into places or robbing shops for credits or for extra ammo or weapons i already possessed. Occasionally you will find a weapon you might want or upgrades for your existing weapons, but that doesn't happen that often.

The graphics are blocky and bland, and there is a distinct lack of texture and detail to the envoironment.

The story is just mediocre. It didn't keep me interested. What kept me playing the game was that i paid for it and didn't want feel like i had wasted money.

This game feels formulaic, like its been tinkered with to try and be all things to all people, but ends up being mediocre. It's like one of those movies that are made by producers that throw in all kinds of rubbish to try and appeal to the biggest demographic to increase sales. Supprisingly people fall for it.
  26. Jul 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not a fan of stealth games. That said, I have to say that I enjoyed Deus Ex. The game mechanisms were very well done for this type of game. The difficulty was OK: it was challenging but not frustrating, perhaps apart from the boss fights, all of which were under a minute if you followed the same routine (buff up, a couple of grenades, finish of with a round of headshots).

Another negative thing was the way the game progressed. Towards the end it got monotonous. Go to this place, hack this, hide here, hack hack, hide, perform a take down, etc. Perhaps it didn't make me quite playing, but i started using the automatic unlock kits instead of hacking, and instead of sitting quiet and observing the beat of the guards i preferred to bring a hacked turret with me so it could do the work.

I didn't follow the promotional campaign before the games release, i didn't read the novel nor the comic book, so perhaps i missed out on something, but i didn't get why would people protest against augmentations. The player just doesn't know. It if because augmentations give an unfair advantage to some? Well, so do cars. And, like augmentations, not everybody can afford them, and they are tied to certain permanent costs (gasoline, hello?). Yeah, I get that getting rid of a car is much easier than an implant, but nonetheless. And what about the claims against science and technology in general? It just seemed to me like flimsy at best. I believe that it would have been more interesting if they had done this in a way that would tear the player into a choice of a lesser evil. Here, we have corporate greed vs. sheer technophobia, because that's how I see all these arguments that people should evolve without the help of technology. Fine, go back to your caves, without these degenerating technological advancements such as the alphabet, medicine or refrigerators. That said, the endings were weak for the same reasons. The choices between embrace the ideas of a morally dubious member of a world-wide conspiracy and unlimited power for corporations are both as bad. Perhaps it would have been better to leave the moral dilemmas out of the game?

Well, maybe the positive: graphics were OK, though kinda outdated. The cities, however, were fantastically designed. Sound was great, as was the voice acting, apart from the lead actor. This is not a jab at the actor, but rather at the convention of these gruff low voices (think Bale's batman growl), which is irritating, because, well... people just don't talk like that. Even people with low and gruff voices don't talk like that, with the possible exception of a dehydrated Tom Waits.

Despite rambling so long about the negative sides of the game, i actually is decent, though not without its flaws. However, its worth the time.
  27. Sep 19, 2011
    Deus Ex Human Revolution, well at first i've thought it was going to be a **** but playing it I realized that the game is actually good, of course sometimes the game becomes boring cause 80% of the game is about hackhing that and this. Several features i don't like about the game: the alarm, detection system of the AI: bots are really stupid and they don't represent a threat (you just gotta have to use any weapon with the a silencer attached); the takedown system: while you takedown an enemy (by killing or neutralize him) the game froze and the other enemies near you literally stands and look at you taking down the target... very disappointing. Hacking system is good, i really like it but why hacking is improved by augmentation and not skills ? (like in Deus Ex 1 where hacking was considered as a skill).
    Overall the game is not bad, (considering that nowdays games are firstly produced for consoles, and consoles HAVE RUINED gaming experience) sure it dosen't compete with Deus Ex 1 but it is way better of Deus Ex 2... My advice: play it!
  28. Sep 11, 2011
    Its obvious that the autors wanted to bring back the original Deus Ex experience .. and frankly they quite did. There are the same positive and negative sides to this game as they were to the original DE. However, the age is different then it was back in 2000 .. games standards are higher. By these standards, DE:HR fails in many ways .. graphic design is the most noticable failing. Its made by lazy and uncreative designers. Another downfalls appear in Gameplay elements. I can forgive no facial expressions during dialogues but not the hit-n-miss voic acting. The controls are not PC-friendly so it will take few hours to adapt. Stealth play feels allright .. until you mess something up and have to resort to funs-n-blazing approach. Direct action feels hammered and very boring. The AI is really dumb, nothing challenging at all even on the highest difficulty. Hacking pods everywhere, the mini-game gets repetetive and very easy. Its true that there are many ways you can take to achieve your quests, but without proper augmentation, its immposible to fully se that potencial of paths. Boss fights are simply horrid in every way. The single saving grace of this game is its plot, and the soundtrack is quite solid too. Expand
  29. Sep 4, 2011
    I LOVE this game and the choice it gives you in completing missions. I often find myself stopping to really think of how best to tackle any given situation. The game does such a good job of combining strategy/RPG elements with 1st person shooting. The voice acting is a bit hit or miss, but overall decent. Graphics are solid with a dark, Blade Runner-type feel although I would have liked to have seen a little more varied color palette. It's like somebody couldn't put down their yellow crayons. The score is fantastic! My only complaints with the game are mostly nitpicks. The framerate stutters once in awhile and the control scheme takes some getting used to if you have played a lot of triple-A shooters like Halo, Battlefield, and Call of Duty. My only real complaint is the map/waypoint system. It's downright hard to navigate and comprehend, and to date I have not found a way to even set a waypoint. I feel like this game would have really benefited from a guide like you have in the superb Dead Space games. These gripes aside, overall Deus Ex is an outstanding gaming experience with an extremely well written story loaded with conspiracies and multiple plot twists and turns. It's a blast getting to play with all the different types of weapons, gadgets, and augmentations at your disposal. This is hands down my sleeper hit of the summer and will easily keep my occupied until late September when the first of the fall/holiday blockbusters start rolling in. If you have the cash, this game is WELL worth it. It's easily a 50 hour or more experience if you do the side missions and really explore the environment. If you are the type who likes to see all the endings this game can have, then you more than get your money's worth! HIGHLY RECOMMEND! Expand
  30. Feb 6, 2012
    Ok, I have finished playing Human Revolution and I must say my first rating and review was a bit overreacted (I gave 4). On the other hand there is number of issues with this game.

For me the major concern is related to the character moving too fast and total absence of smooth graphics in-game (and itâ
  31. Sep 1, 2011
    Its literally the hardest game i have ever played and i beat ninja gaiden 1 and 2 on master ninja. This game completely relies on stealth and hacking, gun fights are boring and its duck, peak for 2 seconds, duck, peak for 2 seconds, duck. The map design is boring, find a vent and your home free. The only thing i like about the game to be honest is the "think out of the box" gameplay. There is at least 3 ways to do a mission, and by that, most of them are going to rely on stealth, maybe one or two involves gun-play and your mostly going to quit because your always getting ambushed. If the game had a better atmosphere, funner gun-play, and the ability to have allies or do co-op, this game would have a 10. And i refuse to lower my difficulty from hardest settings because everyone says the replay value of this game is below absolute zero. Expand
  32. Oct 4, 2011
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a prequel to the old "Deus Ex" duology. Set 25 years before the original Deus Ex it is more of a prequel in spirit and overall world development.
    The timespan is huge enough to allow Eidos to do something set in the same world without being tied down by specific ends to the plot, complete with a separate cast of characters and its own focus.

While the "Human
    Revolution" might have been an interesting plot to explore, it ultimately falls short in the game. While it is clearly noticeable that the population is uneasy about the technological developments and the dangers of augmentations, only at the end of the game will real riots break out - alongside the path of Adam Jensen.
    You feel like an outsider, kept from the actual events that tear the population apart. While being fed information via emails, ebooks, TVs and other sorts of media, the game fails to involve you into its setting.

Upon hearing that James Swallow, one of the better Black Library authors, is involved, I felt the urge to experience this title.
    The experience I got was unexpectedly forced and seemed awkward. While a lot of the ebooks provided a good read, the story told in the actual game felt shallow, leading you from one job to the next without even realizing its full potential.
    Instead of building up a solid connection to the characters by adding relevant material, you barely get to see them, and what they say is normally so limited, you simply cannot bond with them.

Decisions don't have a real impact on the story either. Whether you choose to help a Quest NPC or not doesn't matter, even if you do, you'll see him once or twice right after the quest, gain your reward and that's that.
    Instead of incorporating these NPCs into later parts of the game, helping you out, they get abandoned asap. Characters Jensen seemingly knows from a past we've never even scratched appear and disappear without leaving marks in our lives, only adding a few credits to our pockets.

One thing I regretted was letting my pilot, Faridah Malik die when we got shot down by Belltower soldiers. A short dramatic dialogue sequence via vox and once I passed that area, Jensen got contacted by Pritchard, who was seemingly shocked for seconds but then told Adam to not act out of revenge.
    When you later find her body in Triad-boss Tong's lair, there is no reaction, no line of regret, sadness, nothing. Abandoned.
    If I had rescued her, she'd have evacuated Megan Reed and her team later on, and disappeared afterwards. No impact.

The end of the actual plot feels artificial, architected and unnatural. Eidos took all of the leading characters and threw them onto Panchea, and left the player with the decision to doom them all.
    Tying loose ends was supposed to work differently, especially when you don't even get a proper epilogue. Abandoned characters once again, Deus Ex Machina.
  33. Jan 31, 2012
    Something went wrong. I've read a lot of positive reviews about this game but I wasn't so into it as I thought I will be. I don't quite follow the story - it simply does not seem interesting for me. Dialogs are average and animtalks are week. What I do like is the concept of the game, its art style/design and finisher animations - being a futuristic, "improved" badass feels good. Having multiple options in eliminating enemies feels good. But hiding curled up in the corner in order not to being shot feels,,, well I must say that if I would have such powers I wouldn't act like a total wimp. And what's with the old-school diablo-style inventory ?! He doesn't wear any backpack anyways?! Expand
  34. Sep 12, 2011
    I got to stop buying these console ports. They suck. So does this one. Boring and tedious hacking of terminals, inventory management and a droning sound track make this game a turd. If Mass Effect 2 was a 9+ this one is a 5. I'm giving it a 2 to get the average score down to something approaching reality. You almost die and they rebuild you as a cyborg...seen it. Robocop, Quake 4, Six Million Dollar Man...been there. I really do want to finish the story but the game play is so stale and rehashed that I am stopping. I just don't care that much to waste anymore time. I will wait for Mass Effect 3. Expand
  35. Aug 29, 2011
    I read a lot of reviews saying that the game was over-hyped and i can say, in all honesty, they're right. It barely lives up to the expectations. Although it does really well in it's attempt to follow the formula of the original, in my opinion it reminds of Invisible War a lot more than it does of the first DeusEx (why that is, i don't really know, since invisible war was a flop through and through, patches and all) the game has barely anything new to offer. It's the same options, though severely polished. What pissed me off a lot, was the fact they kept the same, tedious side quests that involved an insane amount of backtracking and collecting/hacking. Voice acting is well done, though not all of the time. Graphically, it's practically flawless. It's not state of the art GFX, but that is of little importance. Personally, i love the designs of the augmentations. Everything else is surprisingly mediocre. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful time-killer, but soon enough you'll find yourself wanting for the next best thing. Expand
  36. Aug 27, 2011
    Playing this game i have the feeling i am playing through a Mass Effect DLC, and not the best one... until i am brought back to reality by its Modern Warfare-like combat and the stealth "routes" available. Those are the main differences between the two games. There is the same dialog system, the same lack of weaponry choice of ME2, the same hub-dungeons mechanic, the token "hacking" mini-game and even the original augment system works in the same way as Mass Effect's character progression (with exp points granting points to expend in new abilities and powering up old ones), although some modifications provide effects similar to those of Crysis' famous combat suit. I can't help feeling the whole game is a massive sense of deja-vu topped with lack of creativity. Only the concept design and art sometimes go above the average. Even with my settings maxed i found the graphics to be lacking and the backgrounds mostly unappealing, at about the level of the first Mass Effect, if not less. The music score is interesting and it's clear a skilled writer was hired for the occasion, but both fall flat because of the repetitive and unoriginal gameplay. Perhaps after playing through all of the FPS games of the last decade i have grown insensitive to the appeal of the genre, but i still play quite a few of them and the third installment of Deus Ex doesn't provide anything substantially new to the standard. Even though i am a fan of the more rough and unforgiving combat i have no reason to play through Deus Ex: Human Revolution again. Wanting an engrossing story and captivating scenery Mass Effect is by far superior, while Battlefield Bad Company 2 or Modern Warfare 2 go the extra mile in terms of realism, stealth action and weaponry choice. I can hardly contain my disappointment and stupefaction in front of the acclaim a game like this is receiving, but i will give it the rating i believe it deserves: a 7, mostly for its good production value, polished gameplay and cool (although easily guessed) story climax. Le sigh. Expand
  37. Aug 28, 2011
    It is a fantastic, atmospheric game! Kind of oldskool in its quality (means: quality). You can find flaws here and there if you are looking for them, but if you open yourself to its values, then it can become a really-really immerse experience! Recommended for all cyberpunk fans!! ...and if you have time, don't just rush through this game - give it time, explore, be creative in the way you solve quests, etc, and it may be very rewarding:) Expand
  38. Aug 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is there a game category "Least Disappointing Game of the Year?" If so, I nominate DX:HR, as some know it. Steam says I have more than 80 hours of gameplay in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and my impressions have firmed-up. It seems the developers took lessons from many of my favorite games and movies and incorporated them into one immersive, exciting, respectful and fun experience. I hoped for something good, and got something unexpected.

But that is often the key, isn't it? It is a game of expectations, this larger game of enjoyment. I am a PC gamer who ranks the original Deus Ex as possibly the best game I have ever played. Hype and glossy CGI trailers do not excite me, though I do consume them sometimes ravenously. These days, all games would be disappointing if we required that they live up to all their hype.

Still, I have been disappointed in many games of late, most notably sequels like "The Witcher 2." I could sum up my disappointment by saying it is hard to understand why sequels move so far from the original formula which brought them so much success.

One of the first things you will notice, as the game gets underway, is the Tutorial System. They have come up with a system that is not intrusive, but at the same time is very helpful. When you enter an area where a new skill is introduced a message appears in the upper right saying you should Press Tab to get tutorial help with that topic. When you enter the fray the message disappears.

When you get out on the street you will notice how natural the by-standers seem. Talking on cell phones, smoking cigarettes, saying things real people say. A lot of motion capture and good animation went into this thing. The immersion deepens.

If you are an old fan like me, you may notice things like the voice of Bob Page, the entry code for the CommVan outside UNATCO, or you may recognize the tune someone is whistling on the street. It is icing on the cake of respect they have served up for those who loved the original.

The combat system works, lag is minimal, and you don't feel like you are struggling with the controls constantly. It switches fluidly from first person to third person automatically so you can appreciate your silent take-down or mass destruction.

I require a top-notch story, and I was not disappointed. It seemed like there were usually several ways to solve problems: hacking, leaping across rooftops, crawling through ducts and sewers, tranquilizer darts or sniper rifles.

Somewhere toward the end I realized all the threads were not going to be tied up. How did I not see this coming? The story was complete unto itself, and we may never see Adam Jensen again, but it seems designed for one or more sequels of its own. Just tell me where to pre-order!
  39. Aug 30, 2011
    This game was amazing. The original back for the xbox was easily my favourite game for that system and even back than that game could compete with some of trash put out these days.
    However Deus Ex Human Revolution was amazing from the gun-play to the stealth and close combat and even the mini game hacking and conversations have all been deeply entertaining.

To top it off the entire time I
    played through this game all I could think is "I can't wait to do it all again but in a different way" I am now on my pacifist play through and simply can't wait to do a guns blazing play through right after! Expand
  40. Aug 30, 2011
    While I realize that the backlash will be severe, I have to agree with many of the other reviewers who believe that this game is being overrated. If you read Tallow's review you will find most of my complaints, and while I am not as harsh as he is on some aspects, I generally found this game to be slightly better than mediocre. I have been playing games for a couple decades now and I have seen the introduction of most gameplay changes, so I feel confident when I say that Dues Ex HR reveals nothing original in its gameplay, and to a large extent in its setting. While it is acceptable to fail slightly to provide either of these individually, being mediocre at both left me feeling bored halfway through. My major suggestion for these developers is to improve their gameplay because to me it felt stiff and dated. Oh and please stop giving missions to meet someone on one side of the map only to have a five second conversation where they ask you to go back to the other side of the map, and then return of course. This game is better than average, but certainly not genius, brilliant, perfect, original, or unparalleled as some have said it is. Expand
  41. Sep 25, 2011
    Awful graphics. Awful storyline. Awful controls. Shame on developers for releasing such a game in 2011 I deleted it after playing for 20 minutes. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is waste of money.
  42. oso
    Mar 6, 2012
    Again i've wasted Money for a incredible boring Game. The firefights are so far not that bad, its just the lack of any interesting story line and stupid gameplay features that pisses me of. There is also the incredible bad Graphics (esp. character design/facial expression) which seem to be from a different century.
  43. Jan 15, 2012
    Pretty bad. While the graphics are reasonably good, the frame rate is absolutely terrible even on a reasonably fast computer (5750, i5-2500). Lots of random slowdowns, and 5-10 fps out in Detroit. If you don't like stealth games, you won't like this game; the FPS and RPG angles are pretty poorly done. I stopped playing after about 4 hours.
  44. Feb 23, 2012
    In my humble opinion this is without doubt the most wildly over-rated game I have played many years, You of course may love the game, Everyones different. But To be honest I felt ripped off and bored very quickly, After entering the city ,the story / characters personalities were not absorbing or appealing to my brains gaming reward centre, The story not so much bad just - repetitive, And the world all looks the same to me. It was the sort of game that left me cold, and I was sidetracked all too quickly by better games, I Just lost interest. The game seemed to lack depth and richness at its core .. . I am a great lover and completely absorbed by Bethesda and all manner of different games, but this time I was pulled in by the hype and was let down like a lead balloon. Some Nice graphics, and gimmicks but didn't float my boat. But go make your own mind up :) Expand
  45. Mar 12, 2012
    Not living up to the hype. The graphics are bland and subpar for a 2011 AAA title with really ugly textures, the cover controls feel awkward to use, voice acting is below average. Character animations are really bad and repetitive and make the characters unbelievable. The game also suffers from poor AI. When you are detected, enemies start yelling "Hey! Where are you?" for a while and then just walk away as if nothing ever happened. Just after reading the tutorials on combat and stealth - being advised to move dead bodies to a place where they cannot be seen, or else - I shot a guy from a distance, then 4 others ran toward him, hunching over his body, just queueing up for me to shoot them in the back. They didn't do anything when one of their allies dropped to the floor right beside them. Expand
  46. Sep 6, 2012
    I really tried to like this game but when you are forcing yourself to continue playing you know something is not right. Deus Ex Human Revolution is a perfect example of a "jack of all trades, master at none" type of game. The game may offer the player different ways to tackle the problem but none of them work really well. The combat feels stiff, underwhelming and unsatisfying and the stealth feels shallow and linear. The hacking is a mess with its chance-based core and 30 second lockout forcing the player to abuse the quickload button and the conversations though functional and quite innovative feels constricted and more like a tool to advance the story than for you to play around with. Overall the game feels really unpolished and there are a lot of strange design choices here and there. The energy system is a mess, the map-interface is annoying, the boss battles are dumb and the menu-interface is kind of crappy. The fact that you often need specific augments to advance in the route you have taking is also annoying and if you don't feel like backtracking from time to time you will probably walk around with a couple of praxis on you just in case. Making the augment-system much more constricted that it need to be. The game is still decent though and if you can look past its problem there is a meaty action-rpg waiting for you. I should mention that i didn't finish the game (12 hours in) and therefore and i have no idea if the game gets better or worse at the later parts in the game. Expand
  47. Jul 21, 2012
    A masterpiece! Game is simply great in every aspect: graphic, music, storyline, combat. I played it long ago but still listen its soundtrack on YouTube=)
  48. Dec 31, 2012
    One of the very best games of 2011, and on the long run I believe I will always consider it to be one of the best science fiction action/rpg-s out there. The story was mature and engaging. You could feel the inner struggles of the main character, and the bad and good sides of the augmentation technology was portrayed well. I loved that I could choose to engage enemies by non-lethal or lethal ways (Unfortunately bossfights always had the same outcome, you can not choose the non-lethal option there) . The player's action through the campaign affected some gameplay and story element later the in game. DE:HR features enough weapons (which you can customize) to keep the firefights interesting. You can upgrade your characters abilities by earning Praxis points or you can buy them at LIMB Clinics for money (There's 21 total available augmentations, and almost all of them can be upgraded further.) The NPC's AI was good, but it could have been better. The visual style of the game could have been a bit more varied, but I enjoyed it anyways. The music in the game was outstanding (Michael McCann composed it). Overall an outstanding game. Expand
  49. Aug 25, 2012
    I loved the design, inventory, map etc and the world seemed of a piece. The stealth was really fun as known from Deus Ex but I hated the "bosses". They are kind of overpowered and do not seem to fit into the story/game at ALL.
  50. Sep 25, 2013
    Really can't understand why this game has so many 10 ratings. This game is just a dumbed-down version of the original Deus Ex. The agent skill, weapon skill, augmentation upgrade and weapon upgrade system in original game is much simplified and combined to a simple grow chart, ruining the fun of decision making in specialization with various possibilities.

The graphics is just of 2005
    standard with a yellow tone with no option to customize. (even the original in 2000 has option to customize that kind of thing) Even though the graphic is poor, the performance of the game is quite bad due to poor optimization for various cores of CPU in PC. Graphic glitches or stuttering is quite common among users with different specifications of PC.

The story is quite boring due to the linear plot, i.e. someone is bad, we need to find him or her. Later, oh he or she is also being used by others. Let's find the man behind them. Rinse and repeat until your boss fight. The poor voice acting really test players' patience via introducing frequent cut-scenes with various characters, with lengthy conversation without any real value to plot or info. This just serves as a social simulator to test player to pick a correct option to please the character so that you can get the info. you need. A good RPG game is not about lengthy conversation, it focuses more on building of character and world as well as plot development. However, those boring conversations do not help in this aspect.

The gameplay is also very boring like a hacking simulator to keep on playing the stupid mini-games to read emails, open door for your plot progress. Buildings look very similar as well, with same kind of locked door, wood door, windows, and vent. Level designs are linear and very poor, with nearly moving in vent is the only stealth way to move across level, excluding the strategy of hiding and taking cover in main corridor.

The stealth system is also stupid, playing cut-scene all the time when player switching cover, performing takedown from back, moving down ladder, causing frequent switch between first-person and third-person views. This is just too annoying for a FPS.

Health system and shooting system is also a dumbed-down version of original. Cross-hair is always accurate regardless of weapon proficiency, and the health management is also streamlined, further ruining the fun in strategy planning before surprise attack.

Overall, by discarding the special features in original Deus Ex, together with a boring story, this game simply become a game very similar to other streamlined games like Hitman Absolution or Splinter Cell Blacklist, but even they shine more on the game's own features.
  51. Oct 20, 2011
    The whole game feels like filler that was cut from the original. The first thing they do gimp your character, and you're forced to play the whole game at a fraction of your power. Plus the difficulty curve is all screwed up. I breezed through to the end when heavy weapons were suddenly mandatory, then had to reload a thousand times. Story is totally generic, and there's not one visual you haven't seen already. Expand
  52. Aug 31, 2011
    Game of the year contender for sure. From graphics to gameplay this game doesn't disappoint. The replay-ability due to the 6 endings and many ways to tackle each mission and side mission. Game will take between 20 to 50 hours depending on difficulty and weather or not you will want to collect all the collectibles and do side missions.
  53. Sep 2, 2011
    With no doubt one of the best games I've ever played. Maybe the best at all.
    Story is very important to me and in Deus Ex I found plenty. Good characters, good atmosphere, surprising story twists, uncertainty on who to trust and who not.
    Gameplay is very good and gives a good "feeling" thanks to the good physic engine too.
    Augmentations (like "talents" in RPGs) are good and fun.
    Every
    level has different ways to approach it. Very fun for "explorers" like me. It's nice to explore and find the best path.
    Graphics are GREAT even without directx 11 compatibility and not too heavy. It worked great on my 3 years old PC (it was quite good hardware when bought but still, it's 3 years old). Lights are well used, maps are multi-level mazes fun to explore if you want to see and find everything.
    Sound is good and music is good (tho a little to similar to Mass Effect soundtrack IMHO).
    Oh... and hacking minigames are actually FUN! First time ever I find good minigames that don't get boring after 2 times. I actually enjoyed hacking around especially when I got some hacking augmentations.
    What's bad?
    I may agree with those who say AI could be better. It's too easy to elude/evade guards and when alerted they are still to easy to beat. But it's also true that if AI was better and things were more difficult it would probably get frustrating. This way you feel "professional" and in control instead of a scared crying child.
    Anyway, there is so much to do, see and "live" in this game to make a great great experience.
    It's definitely a game worth buying and playing.
  54. Nov 10, 2011
    Absolute rubbish graphics makes it very difficult to play for me. Have been forcing myself to play in the hope that i will get into it but have failed. Just feels and looks like an ancient game. Just couldn't get into it at all. Very bland and well...just boring really.

So if you got a beefed up system and visuals are important to you...stay away from this. Let down really bit i'd
    rather play mass effect 2 again rather than persevere with this. Expand
  55. Aug 29, 2011
    This is the real Deus EX 2 !!!. As an older player (30) I realy thought that old times, where games were tough, full of choices and consequences are over. DXHR teaches me that im wrong. :)
  56. Sep 5, 2011
    Best game i have been playing in 2011. Great atmosphere, great storyline, great music. Everything on it's place. Definitely worth buying. My Game of the Year favorite.
  57. May 3, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my experience with DE:HR, but I can't help but feel it's more popular than it deserves, the story is consistently pleasing throughout, it's what kept me playing to be honest, I didn't enjoy combat and tried to avoid this at all costs, sadly thanks to certain compulsory boss fights I couldn't use this approach throughout and this ruined my time with the game. The game world is also very detailed and very rewarding for people like myself who like to explore every corner of the map. I can't fault the graphics or sound in any way either. All in all a good game in most respects, but I can't help but feel cheated by being offered the option of stealth only to have this snapped up at the tedious boss fights. Expand
  58. Aug 30, 2011
    This game is such a revolutionary piece of work. It is just as good as the first Deus Ex. There is so much to do and plenty of angles to approach missions from. This is well worth the money I spent and I will recommend it to anyone!
  59. Aug 31, 2011
    Just finished it last night (on Deus Ex mode of course) - simply put this is the best story-led RPG(ish) game I've played for literally years... easily beating The Witcher 2 and DA2 (though they're both fantasy genre of course) - if you were a fan of the original (and who wasn't?), buy Human Revolution. The storyline is great, the graphics lovely, the hacking mini-game is very Shadowrun/Cyberpunk and while a little repetitive as you do a LOT of hacking (well I did, YMMV) it's probably the best implementation I've seen in a PC game yet - it is, in short a worthy successor to Deus Ex.

There are only 2 minor niggles I had with the game. Firstly, I've been playing a lot of Brink and InFamous recently and not being able to do something simple like jump up and grab onto a ledge to pull yourself up seems really retrograde, you've got cyber-arms for fricks sake, you should be able to pull yourself up walls if needs be - this can be largely offset with leg and back enhancements but still (the Icarus Landing System is _very_ InFamous).

The other is boss fights... *sighs* again. The Witcher 2 did them worse but not by much - once again it's a matter of drop you into an inescapable room and fight it out. The short, simple and quick solution is lob an EMP grenade at the bad guy which will stun them, then empty a clip of combat rifle ammo, frag grenade (which stuns them again) another clip and another frag grenade... they're a bit rubbish; just make sure you've got plenty of grenades and all 3 "standard" boss fights are little more than a short, tedious distraction from the game. I didn't mind the end-of-game boss though; *shrugs* it was alright - no Crying Wolf from MGS4 but alright.

So that's it, maybe 30 minutes of minor niggles in over 50 hours of gameplay (I like to explore) with a storyline that'll suck you in like a really good book - I'd give it a 95 which means it's closer to a 10 than a 9 anyway.
  60. Oct 24, 2011
    Game starts out decent but quickly goes downhill. The game play is meh, stealth mechanics feel dated, like Deus Ex dated. The cover system is finicky and often times you'll have trouble sticking to surfaces until you turn on the "Toggle Cover," which is still infuriating. The games enemies are predictable and there's not a lot of variety between them other than bigger guns and color scheme. They don't seem to get any smarter and there's little variety in game play amongst missions. Generally you run around quietly, find some boxes, move the boxes and enter vent. Hacking is way too central to the game and action orientated players will be somewhat sad as the game forces you into a more stealthy character as there aren't a lot of augmentations for combat characters other than recoil and armor. The game's settings especially the city hubs are poorly laid out, the side quests are awful, and having to walk 1 to 2 minutes back and forth multiple times in hubs gets extremely annoying. They should've been omitted completely and stuck to a more traditional format instead of the awful hub. The story was extremely boring because it's so predictable. Anyone who has at least read some literature for pleasure can easily pick up who's the bad guy and what's going to happen. The dialogue and voice actors in general are terrible and really grated me, especially Jensen's voice. Overall the game's average and I'd have a hard time recommending it to anyone unless it's $10. Expand
  61. Aug 26, 2011
    I can't even begin to say how much fun this game is. This would have to be the most fun I've had playing a computer game since Half-Life. I play computer games for fun, and this game absolutely nails it! The only real problem I have with the game is that I spend too much time playing it when I should be sleeping, eating, spending time outside...
  62. Aug 28, 2011
    Just great . I did complete the first one in time. This new one is up to true fans of cyberpunk and first deus ex . Nonlinear , dark and amazing this game is . Ten years past from the original and non of the games still as peculiar and qualitative as Deus Ex or Deus Ex HR . It's hard to describe how complex this game is though. Sound , game-play , art style - all this keeps you near the screen to the end . Expand
  63. Aug 29, 2011
    Best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best of the best Expand
  64. Aug 29, 2011
    I've never posted a public review of a game before, but I created a Metacritic account just to post this review. Not since Civilization 5 was released back in Sept '10 have I actually called in sick from work just to play a game - and I did it for this one! DX:HR is definitely a more than worthy successor to the original DX. It feels so much like DX 1, but improved so beautifully in every way. I love the visuals. The areas are complex but not confusing, with plenty of different ways to get around - from the rooftops to the sewers. The weapons are great and all have a number of upgrades available. I really like the conversation system. Many times I've gone through a conversation and then reloaded just to see how it would go with different choices. I've always been a stealth player when the game allows it and the stealth system in DX:HR is very good. I was glad to see the familiar and very functional inventory system, which really reduced the learning curve. One of my favorite parts of the game is the hacking system. Even when I have a code for a computer or lock, I still go through the hacking process. A great way to rack up experience points! I know that as soon as I'm done watching the final cutscene I'm going to immediately start a new game! AWESOME! Expand
  65. Aug 29, 2011
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is superb. The story has a nice arch with a (foreseeable, albeit) dramatic climax. More importantly however is how well Eidios did with the dialog- almost every character has something to say and there are literally hundreds (if not more) conversations you can overhear people discussing. At first, I really didn't like Jensen's (that's the main character, btw) voice but the gruffness eventually began to fit his heartless, professional persona. Gameplay wise, the cover system is almost exactly like that of Mass Effect's. Shooting is pretty normal, but picking off headshots can be almost too easy once you get the hang of it. Luckily, later in the game, enemies don't die with just one shot to the head (due to dermal plating and helmets) which provides a much greater consent to go the quite route as opposed to guns blazing. The stealth elements are very enjoyable, my only qualms lie within the AI which makes things a little too simple and you can almost walk right past them at times; on the other hand, however, the positioning of body guards can be very complex and often require an alternate route. Audio and visuals are quite good and I managed to get the game running on max settings with my GTX 460- even with DX11, which brings tessellation, which is fantastic.
    Although this game is very enjoyable, there is one thing that amounts to so much grief it strips this game down to an 8.5 (had to round up, don't hate): boss fights. Never have I enjoyed a game so much up until the boss fights. My entire character was based around stealth and hacking- I never got thickened armor or better legs or whatever augmentations (augmentations are like upgrades for your character- kind of like Crysis but permanent). So, even though 90% of the game was perfectly acceptable for my character, the boss fights were a horrific mess. Eventually, I learned to just tase the bastards and grenade launch them to death. The boss fights were poor attempts to make the game into Zelda or Mass Effect where your character is built purely for combat. It was disappointing to see all of my augments wasted because I chose the more placid route. Anyhow, in some ways this game deserves a 10 and in others a 6. But I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected I would and found the story interesting enough to make me want to watch all the cutscenes. I seriously hope they make more of these, because it's a fantastic series that deserves the praise it's gotten and this revival is a testament to its fortitude.
  66. Aug 29, 2011
    Let me sum this up in a sentence. The game is OK. Do I think it was one of those titles that you immediately go out and buy and give in to the hype? No. This is a game you wait a year to go on sale on steam for like 20 or 30 bucks. When the game first starts off its pretty engaging and you start getting into it a little, thinking "Wow this is gonna be awesome.' The storyline and cutscenes are interesting and easy to follow. The soundtrack is by far one of my favorite things in the game, the music fits the world of Deus-Ex perfectly and it sounds great. But come to find out the bottom line is its just another cookie cutter stealth game tailored to the console market. Graphics, while still pleasing, are pretty dated (which just further backs up the fact that it is a console game). But graphics are not why I bought this game. Having played the first one years ago I expected a lot of the RPG/FPS hybrid elements from that game to have been revived or have evolved in this game. Sadly the character development is very disappointing. It is missing a lot of the RPG elements that made the first one so great. The storyline is OK but isnt enough to make up for the dumbing down of the character development. The game progresses nicely, however it feels too linear, and the environments are wayyyy too cramped. The cover system is nice but unfortunately you are pretty much forced to use it if you choose not to ninja your way through every objective, which makes for a pretty repetitive combat experience. Once you level up your typhoon, stealth, and icarus landing system it does offer you the option of some interesting combos that looks pretty neat but your power runs out so quickly its hard to execute them quickly enough. I have so far made it to the second city, but I can already tell this game does not come anywhere near to giving the series any justice. Nothing innovative or groundbreaking here, like I said just another flashy futuristic cookie cutter stealth game tailored toward an inferior console market with dumbed down game mechanics for the more "casual" players. Not what I expected from a Deus Ex title. Although judging from the last one, that seems to be where they are heading. After a week of playing through every day for a few hours or so Im already starting to get bored with it. Expand
  67. Aug 30, 2011
    Great game. It definitely keeps up with the original from 10 years ago. The atmosphere of the game is absolutely amazing! And that's what define DX. It was an awesome accomplish with a lot nice details, but It's the atmosphere what it makes it highly addicting!! Minor flaws here and there DO NOT spoil the fun. Just get into it and Enjoy!
  68. Aug 30, 2011
    Excellent game , 10 out of 10. By far the best game to have come out this year until time of writing. The atmosphere is rivals that of Arkham Asylum or is perhaps even better. The story is great and really pulls you into it. It is also one of the only games in which I have actually had a hard time making decisions in the different shades of grey. Plus, I find that the conversation system should receive some extra praise, it it done in a truly magnificent way. Expand
  69. Aug 30, 2011
    After just completing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I have to say, this is one of the best games I have played in a long time. It was so easy for me to get completely lost in the brilliant cyber-punk world. With so many twists in the story, it was impossible not to be on the edge of my seat the entire time. From the crowded, neon-lit Hengsha island to the gritty Detroit City hub, the stunning visuals make this world so tangible, the player feels like they are actually living every nail-biting second right next to the hero, Adam Jensen. Add to this mix, top notch writing and some of the best voice work I have ever heard in a game. This was a day 1 purchase for me, and I was not disappointed. This game turned out to be all I hoped it would be and more. Expand
  70. Aug 31, 2011
    So sad, this could have been a revolutionary game but instead we ended up with quite possibly the most boring game ever conceived! I gave this game a good 6 hours but I can't waist any more time on it hoping for something to happen, I just don't think it will! Nothing revolutionary here, at best a mediocre FPS/RPG and I actually think mediocre is generous, this game is a jack of all trades, master of none. I have to agree with the negative remarks about this being an obvious console port too, the controls and cover system make no sense on a PC, cover systems like this simply don't belong on PC, they slow down the game play to the point of disinterest. This is a nice looking game don't get me wrong but not great (it doesn't even come close to other titles released this year or even two years ago for that matter), as a matter of fact there are several games I can safely say that look better than this and they are much older (IMO). I'd say if you are expecting the emotion and engrossment that you got with the original be very prepared to be sorely disappointed, this game does not do the original justice, not even close. Expand
  71. Sep 2, 2011
    Every once in a while, a game comes along that blows me away. Bioshock was one of them, Half-Life 2 was another, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a third. The story is deep and thought-provoking, layered with questionable morality and poignant statements about human ethics, frequently asking the question 'at what point does humanity go too far?'. Complimented by a beautiful soundtrack, incredible art design and expansive gameplay, Human Revolution gives you the total freedom to choose your own play-style (be it stealthy, violent, pacifistic or otherwise) and to branch the story based on your own syntheses. A huge contender for Game Of The Year, a worthy sequel to the original Deus Ex and one of the most damn-impressive games I've played in the last 10 years. Expand
  72. Jan 1, 2012
    READ SYRIK 117 persons agree with him . This is a boring games . Undevoted workmanship ! employees doing the danse that the Boss want to see ! if it was an Indi i would have give it a 7 , but from a big cie and tons of cash spent a big ZERO .
  73. Sep 25, 2011
    The original Deus Ex provides a monumental standard from which to judge its predecessors; its towering example cannot be denied. While the gameplay experience of DX:HR cannot be denied - it kept me occupied for many more hours than most or all of its contemporaries - its depth and scope are deception. In DX, the developers created a universe so vast and nebulous that the player could affect his or her experience as brutally as he or she chose (I recall killing both Gunther and Anna as early as possible for jollies and being shocked at the reprecussions it ultimately had.) DX:HR makes you think your decisions are important, and then just ... leaves you cold. The player can run through with no regard for life or plot and see the same four endings, the same locations and dialog. No reward system exists. Besides that, the player can go the entire game mercifully instead of lethally and find no acknowledgement AT ALL. I didn't get the Steam achievement after all that sneaky effort, and I never carried a gun except during boss battles. Yes, reality lacks a reward system also. DX:HR is not reality. Is it entertaining? Yes. I am not rating a television show, however. I'm rating the (competent) sequel to possibly the greatest FPS/RPG ever. Entertainment without true depth is something that can be found in many, many games. The art direction, sound design, world construction - these are all brilliant. Many gamers will wet themselves in joy. I imagine this as some crippled Adonis, some sleeping and underrealized beauty. What should have been Dune is instead a Spider Robinson novel - masterful and timeless without being angry, without trying the observer. I deleted my local content after my chosen ending awarded me with its terrifying frustration. Expand
  74. Oct 14, 2011
    Don't buy this game. I liked the previous Deus Ex games but the only good thing about this sequel is that it's as polished as you'd expect from a big game studio like Eidos Montreal. The story is dumb, the AI is dumber, the graphics and animation is dated, the jokes are bad, the gameplay is repetitive and feels linear. Sure there's often three or four ways to get from one room to the next: Rambo style, Find the duct, hack a door lock (involves an incredibly dull and repetitive minigame) or punch through a wall. If you chose one playstyle (like stealth) there's usually only one option though. At certain bottlenecks you have to go all out violent, like the out of place boss fights, or if you want a chance to save your friend. If you made the mistake of focusing on stealth you might have to start over at that point. There's nothing new or innovative about this game and the features they've picked has all been implemented much better before. The story is about how prosthetics are causing worldwide riots and terrorism... come on, prosthetics!? They try really hard to make it seem bad but fail miserably. Humans are already "augmented": glasses, watches, cars, phones; nothing new there. I honestly don't understand how anyone who's actually played this game can give it a high rating unless they either got paid for doing so or are fourteen years old. Expand
  75. Sep 30, 2011
    After all the positive reviews I heard about Deus Ex: Human Revolution, I was convinced it was a game worth buying. The frame-rate single handedly proved me wrong. My current computer (a 2009 Dell xps 8100, quad-core i5 with 8 gigs of RAM) isn't amazing, but it allows me to play fairly high quality games with relative ease. As a matter of fact, I have never had frame-rate issues on any game, (server and internet connection being obvious exceptions) from fast paced Scout-runs in Team Fortress 2 to slaying hordes Orks in WarHammer 40,000: Space Marine. To be frank, the frame-rate issues I have encountered while playing even the first fifteen minutes of Deus Ex: Human Revolution have been unacceptable by any means, practically rendering the game unplayable (let alone an enjoyable experience). Would I recommend this game to one of my friends? By no means. Perhaps the issues I have suffered are individual, but that still doesn't give me a reason to give this game a good score. When I made the Steam purchase of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Augmented Edition,with the two DLC packages) for $65.00, I also bought The Binding of Isaac for $5. As of now, I have enjoyed The Binding of Isaac much, much more than Deus Ex. I can tell S. Enix put work into the creation of this game, so I give it a 4/10. Expand
  76. Feb 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i really liked everything about deus ex: human revolution right up untill the end. every thing you had done so far in the game didn't matter in the slightest and each of the endings was pointless seeing as how it had no real effect on you and the decisions you made throughout the game could be completely different to how you decided to end the game. the friggin decide and ending'o'matic was completely stupid, it might have had some effect on the dlc but after that ending the dlc is something that i will never get. Expand
  77. Apr 30, 2012
    There isn't anything I could say that others who also gave this game a 10 rating have already said. So, I will summarize. Perfect predecessor to its earlier counterparts. Makes up for Deus Ex 2. Makes me hope that Eidos Montreal decides to whip out another game, perhaps another prequal to take off where deus ex hr leaves off at... kicking off the original Deus EX after that. Or, take off after Deus Ex two and see all the aftermath. I really wish these games had the same import your save game feature at Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Witcher 2 sagas. This game really went back to its roots from the first game, and yes, as Eidos Montreal said, "they hoped they wouldn't F it up from its originality of Deus Ex 1", and they didn't. Expand
  78. May 20, 2012
    I find this game to be mediocre, I really tried to ''get into it'' but I have difficulty doing so. I'm at my 14th hour of playing the game, and I still find the plot kinda boring and bland. I wish it wasn't as predictable as it is. The quests are pretty straight forward. The graphics are also boring. The Stealth system is cool and easy to use, I guess this is what is keeping me in the game. The concept is good, but the only thing memorable that I think I'm going to have of this game is the fact that I want to try the first of the series to see if it's better. I got to say tho, it's worth the 10$ I paid for it on Steam, and I'm glad I haven't paid more. Peace and Loooooove! Expand
  79. Sep 17, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game in many ways, however the boss fights - #2 and beyond - are ridiculously dependent on build type. Had more thought been put into allowing for multiple ways to defeat the bosses. like the first boss (which was hard but not absurdly so), then this score would be much higher. I love the cyberpunk setting, the stealth mechanics and the story. Its a great game but the climax is unavailable unless you have some very specific abilities. Expand
  80. Sep 4, 2011
    I was always a fan and really enjoyed this game till i got to the first boss battle when no matter what i hit em with he doesn't go down. I feal like ive been robbed. spend all the money for a game that cant be done. extremely disappointed. the trailor made him look like a serious badass yet he cant fight his way out of a paper bag.
  81. Aug 6, 2012
    The worst thing is having to listen to the god awful dialogue. The writers in this game... I want to kick them very hard. I preordered and the sheer amount of stuff they gave to preorders was angering. This game is probably good on a lower difficulty setting where the issues don't pop out at you so much. When you play any game at a higher difficulty it either shines or turns to **** Deus Ex turns to ****. Expand
  82. Sep 14, 2011
    Perhaps if I'd played the original I would have liked this one more (maybe +1 to my score of 6).

Anyway this game had some enjoyable moments but for me personally it was just a little too boring. Kinda great like MGS 4 but then those ultra long cut-scenes came along. Well DE:HR comes across like that quite often too...oh look another hacking "mini-game" when I can hack level
    5 equipment and score the codes off of enemies (just a little too easy for me...they should have reduced the rate at which you level up Mr J.

I will probably never finish it (still with over 16 hours in so far...at LEAST ("reload" "reload" "reload"...lol..."reload").
  83. Aug 29, 2011
    This is one of these games you play to see the story. Not just mindless shooting like COD or BF.
    You make choices in a game to influence the story and that makes it way more interesting (just like ME).
    The atmosphere you were in was brilliantly made and was perfect for the story.
    Graphical it all looked very good but sometimes the lip-sync was off (this **** can happen so no worries).

Although i found this game very good i encountered a lot of frustrating bugs. One of them were game loading crashes.
  84. Sep 1, 2011
    To start off I must say the hype and promotions for the game really made me raise the bar for Deus Ex Human Revolution, which ultimately was a let down when it wasn't how I expected. But besides my misconceptions of what I wanted DEHR to be, there were many additions that really boosted the game. **Pros** The game play in DEHR is well done, with the cover-move system benefiting the stealth side of the game as well as the offensive aspect. City hubs and specific mission levels are well crafted and populated to provide both an immersive experience and thought provocative game play, yet certain areas can be quite linear. The size of the city hubs is both a pro and a con; city hubs are well laid out and have a continuous theme, yet there is few side quests for you to find or stumble across which are not fed to you by key characters. Conversations were a nice treat as your choices and its affects seemed to adhere properly to the emotion and tensions of the current situation, even without the social augmentation. **Cons** DEHR's story telling suffers from a tasteless integration of CGI cinematic cut scenes that differ from the game engine greatly, breaking the immersion as the story flips between the two with no smooth transition as opposed to Mass Effect or CoD cut scenes which perform flawlessly. And to add to the sorrow of DEHR's story telling, the facial animations of characters in game lacked feeling and emotion, while also seeming to be mouthing something entirely different from the dialog. Also the story seemed vague on certain details and somewhat copy-paste feel with little uniqueness applied, giving the player the feeling of playing the same story before in another game. The score could have been a little more emotionally packed while the audio engineering was wacky at times, having reverb or varying sound effects applied or lost in character dialog during conversations. **Overall** I give DEHR 7/10 because Square Enix delievered a solid prequel to Deus Ex, but I wish more time would have been spent polishing certain areas as storytelling and facial animation during conversations. Expand
  85. Aug 26, 2011
    Deus Ex: HR is undoubtedly one of the best recent games I've played. The stealth gameplay really shines, though I found the gunplay fun as well. The side quests and moral choices presented are meaningful, and have long-reaching implications. Dialogue is thoughtful and interesting. Exploring the city hubs is very fun as well, if you enjoy that kind of thing. The story and setting are also magnificent- fans of the first game won't be disappointed.

Unfortunately, the game is not without flaws. The boss fights are practically unbearable, but few. Also, a great deal of the augmentations are related to hacking, and given the vast number of doors/computers/whatnot to hack, not upgrading this path doesn't really seem like a viable option. Thankfully, the hacking mini-game is pretty entertaining. The energy system for using augments is also kind of weird, but not terrible.... I still haven't really made up my mind on it. The graphics are also a little less dazzling than I'd expected.

Ultimately, this game stays very true to its roots, and the many of the changes made are for the better. Even for all its minor flaws, this game falls just a shade under the greatness of the original.
  86. Sep 6, 2011
    I don't know if I wasn't in the right mood when playing but Human Revolution rubbed me the wrong way. The combat was incredibly generic, the AI seemed quite content with walking towards me while I was in cover, thus creating a sort of fish in a barrel situation. The part that irked me the most though was the RPG aspect. The response wheel from Mass Effect makes a return. I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of these wheels. They neither tell you exactly what you'll say nor are they sometimes even remotely close to what the text alludes to. There really needs to be a switch from "text" to "mood" of responses. Angry, Comforting, what have you. Just stop making these terrible dialogue wheels people. Expand
  87. Aug 31, 2011
    Great game, but not the second coming. Classic Deus Ex upgrades + multiple routes for different builds. Story and VO lacking, but the rest of the game is great.
  88. Sep 5, 2011
    -Updated reaction review.
    A great game gets 5 when you FORCE RETARDED BOSS FIGHTS and try stupidly to excuse such decision by narrative! Incredibly STUPID and SHORTSIGHTED!
  89. Aug 31, 2011
    The game it's awesome good story probably the best SE work in the past 5 years i was scared about another failure like dragon age 2 or "sigh" another FF where the name of the game was all the fun but this game is intense good and exciting
  90. Sep 3, 2011
    Awesome story, dialogs, hacking system, diversity of augmentations, adequate amount of guns and gadgets... Every mission is unique and funny. The great thing is also gaining experience in finding secret passages and documents. The only thing I do not like are easy boss fights...
  91. Sep 3, 2011
    Firstly I am going to try to be fair reviewing this game. For starters I am a huge fan of the original game by Warren. Lot of respect to him and that game mostly because of the characters, story, conspiracies etc. I disregarded the second one because it didn't really deliver the goods, despite that awesome level meeting JC again. Jumping to now and seeing this game I am surprised they even slapped the Deus Ex name brand on the box. First the art design is strange, while cool in a blade runner style, it doesn't seem to fit the universe. For a prequel I don't remember the original being set in this fancy world. Guess we gotta appeal to the newer fans, which brings me to the terrible story which didn't hold my interest one bit. Lame voice acting (why not get Tom Hall back for goodness sake), boring level design, same run of the mill stealth and first person modes, and finally the horrible hacking crap. I wanna play THE game not a game within a blinking game. Only thing it has got going for it is this weird aug varied world, but it sure as heck doesn't deserve the name Deus Ex.. its got little to do with the original, no interesting enemies (what happened to the robot guys and the creatures from the conspiracy labs?), only 2 hubs, and crappy weapons. I gave it a 4 mostly because it is a semi-good time wasting game if your new to the series but really it has nothing to do with the original which is why I gave it such a low score. Shame on the developers taking this approach to an original universe, guess we gotta live with it. Back to playing the original game for me. oh yeah don't pay 60 dollars for it. Wait till it drops to 20 at least, or better yet rent it. Expand
  92. Oct 17, 2011
    Having finished the game I can say it seems to be a typical modern game. It was far short and the ending is so ambiguous as to make me wonder why you end it that way. Stealth and trying to finish the game without killing people is almost impossible. It was fun but again seems to be lacking in depth
  93. Aug 28, 2011
    A clever game and a worthy addition to the franchise. Dx3 is indeed all about choice and this comes through with the level design and the augmentation system working hand in hand. Just little things can be done so many ways through vents, sewers, rooftops. Then throw in a variety of upgradable weapons and you have a game with a very high replay value. Hopefully we see more of it in the near future. Expand
  94. Nov 8, 2011
    Ugly graphics, terrible voice acting, clunky controls, crappy AI, rubbish xp system.. This game epitomises how the console era is holding back pc gaming.. I miss the times when PC games ruled
  95. Aug 29, 2011
    Brilliant! Been waiting for a game like this 4 years and is here. Glad I pre ordered not like fail 2011 games (crysis 2, DA 2, duke nukem etc) The PC version is so smooth and it doesnt feel like console port, square enix games dont dissapoint.
  96. Aug 28, 2011
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution has been a much needed breath of fresh air for PC games. The story is deep and surprisingly persistently dark. The gameplay is fun, yet challenging. Exploration actually pays off, in more ways than one. I have seen comparisons to Mass Effect 2 from other users, and while the resemblance is visually unavoidable, it in truth feels much more like Splinter Cell or Metal Gear: Solid. Human Revolution is not correctly classified as a First Person Shooter. It is a Stealth Shooter. There is the important difference of not being an invincible tank-man who can soak up 30 rifle bullets, duck behind cover for a few seconds and magically recover from his wounds. Combat is incredibly lethal and even with armor upgrades, you will not be able to take on an entire enemy squad by frontal assault. While the game does make use of the "standard" regenerating health, it only comes in to effective play after combat has ended. If you are a player who can see no solution beyond straightforward run and gun tactics, Human Revolution will be a disappointment for you. Human Revolution is the culmination of what the first two games -should- have been. A solid stealth system, excellent weapon customization, good character customization, great story. It took all that was good from both games, (Yes; Invisible War had good features!) and combined them to create what I believe is a game that is superior to even the original. It loses points however, on unfortunate linearity and lack of true choices. Most of the choices in the game are simply whether or not you want to do this side quest. It certainly suffers from a lack of replayability, garnering it a 9 out of 10. Expand
  97. Aug 29, 2011
    Я не игÑ
  98. Aug 29, 2011
    As a guy from Montreal, I was waiting for this game to come out...and buy it!....I've played the first Deus Ex when it came out...and really liked it!....This one is really a perfect match between FPS and RPG...It really gives you freedom when it come to choose how you'll handle a situation...One day, I feel like stealthy and stay hidden and another day, I can get in and kill everybody in the room...you have the choice!
    There are no bad ways to pass a level...it only depends on how you want to play it!... The leveling is really kool too...I can spend 10 minutes just to decide where I'll put the really precious point I've just won...even if I feel like I always should upgrade the hacking to get access to all the security stuff....I always have the bad feeling ,when I let something un-hacked behind me, that I'm missing something good!... The graphics are really nice...even with some textures and shadows glitches...as all the shadows are black...the characters always seems to be dirty...but that may fit in that kind of "Blade Runner" universe... The only big issue I've seen so far, is the French voices...as I'm from Montreal, I was happy to put the game in French and hope to have some good voices...and the voices are good...but they're not synchronized with the character...and at some point, you hear the guy speaking and his mouth is not moving...but I can live with that as the game is really fun! Congratulation to the Montreal team that managed to show that they could do a possible GOTY!...

....now I just hope I won't have to wait another 11 years for the next Deus Ex!....
  99. Aug 29, 2011
    It is a very nice and atmospheric game. A lot of detail and depth and it makes you feel like you are there. This is extremely rare in today's 6 hours flashy retarded for 8 year olds simple soo called games. Definitely for people with an attention span lasting longer then 5 seconds. This is not a mindless shooter. This is a Thief / System Shock hybrid living up to those great titles.
  100. Aug 29, 2011
    Deus Ex Human Revolution undoubtedly the best game of 2011. The game met all expectations. Different methods of transmission, which ultimately affect the end game. 10 out of 10. 100 of 100. Must Buy.

There are only a few games this year we suggest to 16-yrs old gamers and their fathers together. Human Revolution for sure is a Game of the Year nominee. [Oct 2011]
    So despite the odds being stacked against it, Eidos Montreal accomplished the impossible and brought us a Deus Ex in the true sense of the word, probably the best one that we could have hoped for considering the current "requirements" for being commercially successful nowadays.
  3. Oct 10, 2011
    A worthy successor to one of the greatest games ever. It offers a lot of choice on many levels and feels like an RPG from years past - in a very good way. One of the best, if not the best game of 2011. [Oct 2011]