8.4

1. Sep 1, 2011
    Quite frankly this game is a unpolished jewel. I enjoyed this game a lot but there are several story and gameplay problems which hindered the fun. The implementation of the boss fights was unnecessary. I dont have the slightest idea why the developers thought that this would be adding any fun to the game. The second major problem is the story. Most of it doesnt seem reasonable and thereQuite frankly this game is a unpolished jewel. I enjoyed this game a lot but there are several story and gameplay problems which hindered the fun. The implementation of the boss fights was unnecessary. I dont have the slightest idea why the developers thought that this would be adding any fun to the game. The second major problem is the story. Most of it doesnt seem reasonable and there are some holes left behind. Expand
  2. Sep 25, 2011
    Deus Ex is a great game. Great story, fun weapons and fairly open game play. Couple of reasons it is not 10 game. There is a gimmicky promotion of vent living for stealth and defeating enemies. Enemies are vent shy, never pursuing you into them, and never figuring out to throw a grenade in. Also, there are unusual and frustrating boss battles that seem as much pulled from an arcade actionDeus Ex is a great game. Great story, fun weapons and fairly open game play. Couple of reasons it is not 10 game. There is a gimmicky promotion of vent living for stealth and defeating enemies. Enemies are vent shy, never pursuing you into them, and never figuring out to throw a grenade in. Also, there are unusual and frustrating boss battles that seem as much pulled from an arcade action game rather than a tactical game. Expand
  3. Dec 30, 2011
    I really enjoyed this game. The variation of weapons and side quests. Running from point a to point b got a little irritating for quests but with an amazing soundtrack and a gripping story line I had a hard time putting it down. I found the last boss fight to be far too easy compared to the others, but otherwise overall challenging (depending on the difficulty setting you choose.) I amI really enjoyed this game. The variation of weapons and side quests. Running from point a to point b got a little irritating for quests but with an amazing soundtrack and a gripping story line I had a hard time putting it down. I found the last boss fight to be far too easy compared to the others, but otherwise overall challenging (depending on the difficulty setting you choose.) I am also happy you can pass through this whole game without killing anyone (except the bosses of course.)

Overall a game I will be replaying soon enough!
  4. Dec 6, 2011
    Ever game has a color about it. Saints row is purple, Brink is light blue, Deus Ex is yellow. Also its a very unique shooter greatly using cover, stealth, hacking, and overall strategy. Or you can set it to easy mode and just play it like a more standard game which I ended up doing, cuz I was really bad at it lol 8/10
  5. Apr 19, 2012
    A very good game with some potential apart from the original Deus Ex. I like the new mixed hybrid gameplay, the soundtrack and the story plot. But the biggest drawbacks of the game: the graphics are on par with any recent Call of Duty game despite the high system requirements, the ending was decent, the boss fights were not challenging enough, the music is not in HD quality and the videoA very good game with some potential apart from the original Deus Ex. I like the new mixed hybrid gameplay, the soundtrack and the story plot. But the biggest drawbacks of the game: the graphics are on par with any recent Call of Duty game despite the high system requirements, the ending was decent, the boss fights were not challenging enough, the music is not in HD quality and the video cinematics are not in HD. Its only DLC, the Missing Link, should have been free to download as a expansion patch. Expand
  6. Sep 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. PC gamers must get used to this fact: many of the big studio releases for their (and my) favoured medium are being principally developed on consoles, with console gamers in mind. Most of the attacks on this game acknowledge that fact, but resent it. There is a perception that a PC game should mean complexity and depth, whereas a console game should be accessible and shallow. Whatever the truth of these perceptions, Deus Ex: Human Revolutions is a game which has been developed for a console which stands up happily on the PC and is one of the more enjoyable PC games of this year. It is billed as an RPG-shooter. The RPG elements are located as sensibly as any leveling up system can possibly be inside the story. Jensen, following his operation, has all his augmentations intact, but he's brought out of recovery early. His body and nervous system aren't used to their newfound, mechanically-enhanced talents. Therefore, he needs Praxis software - earned through the accumulation of experience, i.e. use of his new body, to unlock the higher level abilities. Well, it's a stretch, but it's a brave attempt by the game's writers to impose a story on the notion of levelling up, something which RPG enthusiasts have taken for granted since the first tentative forays of pen-and-paper, kitchen table games onto the home computer in the eighties. Personally, I approve. Speaking of the difference between pen-and-paper, kitchen table RPGs and their electronic successors, DE:HR offers the player a decent amount of choice for the type of game it is. A pen-and-paper session over pizzas and beer is limited only by the rules of the game and the tolerance of one's fellow gamers. Not so on a computer game. All choices must be limited by necessity. The story of DE:HR implies that the action happens within the space of a few days; by necessity, it is tightly plotted. But within that, there are multiple ways to execute each mission. There are different physical routes to each objective. There are a good range of weapons to support a given player style and a sensible, intuitive inventory system. There are approaches ranging from a Terminator-style shoot-out in a Detroit nick, through persuading your way in, to sneaking in undetected. Yes, of course real people don't really patrol like DE:HR's guards do, but we are somewhat limited by the technology available to us in 2012 and no game has yet achieved a perfect patrolman. DE:HR's guards move naturally enough to keep up the illusion of reality, and even chat to each other on occasion.

it No 21st-century shooter would be complete without a cover mechanic, but it works nicely within the confines of the game. The game awards points for merciful take-downs over straightforward kills; and awards end-of-level points for remaining undetected, in order to encourage different styles of play. On the topic of rewarding, the dialogue system invites comparisons with Bioware's and tops it without question. The dialogue options accurately foreshadow both the temperament and content of Jensen's potential answers, unlike Bioware's wretched wheel. Rather than a straight choice between flippant, aggressive and passive, one must watch the tone and personality of the NPC to get the best out of the conversation. With the right augmentation, one can release pheromones to increase diaglogue options. It's just a shame that more conversations don't follow this path: a goodly number are, in essence, cuscenes, which is somewhat frustrating, given the potential shown in the interactive dialogues.

Of course, it's not all roses. Entertaining as the manual takedown animations are, they don't always gel with the preceding action and the dissonance can grate. There are four mandatory boss-fights in the game, which are an unwelcome encumbrance (and a nod to DE:HR's console roots!) and force even the sneakiest of players to play, temporarily, in an aggressive style (vive le Typhoon). Also unwieldy, in a narrative sense, are the sidequests: enjoyable as they are, they do feel forcibly levered into the time-conscious plot. Finally, the corporate-espionage-with-a-moral-dimension plot all takes a turn for the Dan Brown towards the end, invoking ancient conspiracies and giant machines we've all seen a hundred times in other games, books and films, which is something of a let down. The ending montages, particularly, are annoyingly bland and a good deal of loose ends are not tied up (DLC, anyone?)

But on the whole, DE:HR is a good game. The plot is on a par with any B-movie or airport thriller novel; the action's decent; there is enough freedom of choice to keep most RPG fans satisfied (if one recognises that this is not trying to be D&D on your PC); the dialogue system is a real hit; and the game has a sense of humour (Robocop fans will encounter a policeman named Murphy without a sense of dramatic irony; Megadeth fans a certain hangar...). Give it a go.
  7. Sep 6, 2011
    First game I have played in years that I can't put down. It's Deus Ex 1 all over again. All the dissenters on here can stick to playing CoD or some other arcade shooter as they seem to just not get this game. It's everything good about Deus Ex made better, including combat, stealth, and most importantly your choices really do feel like they make an impact on the story. My onlyFirst game I have played in years that I can't put down. It's Deus Ex 1 all over again. All the dissenters on here can stick to playing CoD or some other arcade shooter as they seem to just not get this game. It's everything good about Deus Ex made better, including combat, stealth, and most importantly your choices really do feel like they make an impact on the story. My only complaints:
    1. Environments are way too static. It's 2011 and desk items aren't getting thrown around in a firefight? If I shoot a stack of paper it gets a bullet hole? The coffee cup is still on the table after a grenade went off? The environments the designers made are very well done, and highly explorable, but seriously, there should be more interaction. Cracks on the walls that you can blow up? Really? Is this Zelda or something?

2. No battery recharge robots...I like how your augs don't last very long in this one, as well as the fact that its hard to take down more than 1 or 2 guys with the instant kill function. However a few more recharge stations here or there would make it more fun.

3. Realistic mode is a bit unbalanced. I always played Deus Ex on Realistic. I liked how you and the enemies had the same health. This is not the case in HR; it still takes 5,7 sometimes 10 body shots to kill a guy. Granted a headshot is an instant kill, If I plug a guy in the chest, that should take him down too. I'm sure this could be fixed in a mod.

Everything else in the game is perfect!
  8. Nov 8, 2011
    Game of the year for me. Easily.

I was hesitant at first, as I was a big fan of the original, having played it countless times. Would they mess up the core gameplay? Would third person be a welcome experience or not? Would the implementation of cover be helpful or harmful? All of my doubts were put to rest after I played it. Human Revolution is a fantastic game, and nearly as brilliant
    Game of the year for me. Easily.

All of my doubts were put to rest after I played it. Human Revolution is a fantastic game, and nearly as brilliant as the legendary original. The numerous paths to completing an objective are still there, the choice between lethal and non-lethal or stealth and guns blazing is still there. The hubs feel fantastic, the atmosphere is gripping and the artstyle is visually appealing. The upgrade system allows for many different playstyles and perhaps even warrants a replay or two. Instead of going on and on about how great the game is, I am going to highlight what I thought was wrong with it. For one, the music isn't as great as the original. Sure, there are some pieces that are fantastic, but these only play during cutscenes. The ambient music, the battle music and everything else just feels generic. After expecting something fantastic, akin to the amazing OST of the original, I was somewhat disappointed. Sure it's better than a lot of other game OSTs but I felt let down.

Then my major gripe: The boss fights. They are unavoidable, and cater only to people who have specced into combat augs, people who have been carrying around numerous guns, grenades and ammo types. As I was playing a non-lethal stealth playthrough I only had my tranquiliser rifle and my stun gun to defeat the bosses. It was tedious and resulted in many deaths.

Amazing game despite the flaws, easily GOTY, pick up a copy if you liked the original, like anything cyberpunk (especially Bladerunner), like stealth games or like good games.
  9. Jun 29, 2012
    Deus Ex HR is made for stealth and exploration. Plain and simple. Enemy A.I. is too dull for firefights, and exploration is what rewards you most (in terms of gaming pleasure). Thus if you like shooters, don't mess with this game. But if you are looking for a more stealth/RPG/intelligent experience, this game is pure awesomeness. The environments are wide and detailed, with lots ofDeus Ex HR is made for stealth and exploration. Plain and simple. Enemy A.I. is too dull for firefights, and exploration is what rewards you most (in terms of gaming pleasure). Thus if you like shooters, don't mess with this game. But if you are looking for a more stealth/RPG/intelligent experience, this game is pure awesomeness. The environments are wide and detailed, with lots of alternate routes and hidden stuff to find. The places you visit are very different from each other, and the cities are a thing of beauty, inspired by the crowded streets and architectures of Blade Runner (as the first Deus Ex was). Story is mesmerizing and well told, and the same goes for side-quests. While playing, you really feel that there is a load of possibilities to reach a goal, to sneak around some guards, to decide the turn of the story. The way augments (the cybernetic "superpowers" you develop with experience) work is perfect. You decide which ones to grow, and you never feel like you're getting those experience points too slowly or too quickly. And it's very fascinating to go back to already-visited areas, but with the newly-gained ability to jump higher, or to fall without being hurt, and thus discover new locations. Best sci-fi game I played in a long time. If you're a completist like me, it will last for dozens of hours. I even preferred it to Mass Effect 2, both for the environments than for the additional freedom. Only reason I don't give it a 10 is because of boss fights - hard and out of contest, for a game that is best played in stealth mode - and because the ending sucks: Eidos clearly wanted to trace the first Deus Ex steps, and go for a "strong" ending, but instead it just looks illogical and dumb. Expand
  10. Sep 10, 2012
    This is a very decent game, with a great plot, nice atmosphere, way closer to the first Deus Ex than Invisible war was; and it's probably one of the best console ports I've ever seen so far. So why only 6 ?

Because THIS particular game has been awaited soooo long by most gamers that a lame *CONSOLE* *PORT* just doesn't fit. If you're discovering Deus Ex with this title, it must be fun and pleasing, but when you've enjoyed the first Deus Ex several times, to see it taken to this level of coarseness only for profit, it's just sad and frustrating. I might be a little harsh, but really, I expected more from this game. Way more. Now, let's hope some independent developer will bring some decent alternative to this title; since the gaming industry seems to care too less about quality and too much about profit.
  11. May 10, 2012
    Downright excellent game. The story is well done, the music is brilliant and the hacking mini-game is quite fun once you get used to it. For the longest time I wanted a game that revolved around stealth and not mindless run-and-gun tactics, and this game delivered that in arguably the best way possible. The graphics and controls are a bit iffy in some areas, but are still good nonetheless.Downright excellent game. The story is well done, the music is brilliant and the hacking mini-game is quite fun once you get used to it. For the longest time I wanted a game that revolved around stealth and not mindless run-and-gun tactics, and this game delivered that in arguably the best way possible. The graphics and controls are a bit iffy in some areas, but are still good nonetheless. The performance of the game was initially bad for my PC at first, and I have an extremely high-end PC, but I found some quick fixes and won't incorporate that into my rating, because I think it's fair to focus on just the game on not something that probably happened just because of *my* PC, and not the game itself. If any employee of any company that helped make this game is reading this, feel good. Feel real good. Expand
  12. Oct 4, 2011
    Ok. This is a game of a rare type. One of those which i actually bother to finish. Story - good. Soundtrack - good. Missions - good. Extended dialogues for major events - great. Side missions that make sense - good. Visuals are ok, except, maybe, blurry textures here and there, crappy models for humans(all polygons for faces!) and terrible FaceFX animation - so-so. But there are two thingsOk. This is a game of a rare type. One of those which i actually bother to finish. Story - good. Soundtrack - good. Missions - good. Extended dialogues for major events - great. Side missions that make sense - good. Visuals are ok, except, maybe, blurry textures here and there, crappy models for humans(all polygons for faces!) and terrible FaceFX animation - so-so. But there are two things in thos game that are horrible:
    ***SPOILER ALERT***

1. Bosses. Come on, stupid boss-making outsources. I havent heard of you and i hope i never will. Boss One - big guy with machine gun. And its bad idea to get close to him. It looks like... like every bloody first boss in every bloody FPS. Oh HELL, noone told this guys its a stealth action game? Took me 15 minutes and some chill pills.
    Boss Two - sneaky girl with machine guns... Borderlands much, **** My hamster is more creative. 10 minuts and no pills, she is just stupid.
    Boss Three - thats it. Someone casted mass stupidity on them all. Confined space, grenade volleys and(ta-daaaaa) you cant see **** Why? because your augs are not **** working. Not only that - all your screen goes to hell, literally. Its filled with rubbish, explosions and the guy is INVISIBLE from time to time. That whas the place when i said **** you" and used the trainer to give myself unlimited health. And you know what? 7 minutes of my life wasted while i was trying to actually HIT the guy. 4 mags from fully upgraded assault rifle... I have some chill pills left for those, who try to kill him on consoles. I feel your pain, guys and gals.
    Last Boss - you should see that piece of **** yerself. Com **** on. When that stupid b.. almost fried her biochip i thought - GREAT. For once evil girl gets what she deserves and i can just go and finish the game. But some tard said - we need last boss. Fire that dumbass, we dont. We had a game that was satisfactory in all ways, except your stupid bosses. This one is no better - its boring, stupid and you should watch Minority Report less. And not be so obsessed with blindfolded broads all the time. "Its Bull****, and its bad for ya." (c)

2. Panchea. Total inconsistency. Why all those half-brained maniacs killed everybody.... except each bloody other? To be a challenge for oh-so-mighty Adam? Screw you again. Thats idiocy. Why they get alarmed at you presence? They are totally INSANE. They should behave like totally insane. They behave like regular soldiers. I went thru this crap once and thats it. Next time its cheated energy + invis + no sound augs. TY, i'm not doing this again. Not satisfactory.
  13. Sep 5, 2011
    A worthy successor to the first Deus Ex. I've played a lot of RPG games, but never actually "cared" so much about the story line and characters as I did in Deus Ex. Gameplay moves very smoothly, AI is pretty good, and overall its very entertaininig. Probably the only small problems Id say are that in terms of Upgrade Paths, some of the bosses can be disproportionately challenging if youA worthy successor to the first Deus Ex. I've played a lot of RPG games, but never actually "cared" so much about the story line and characters as I did in Deus Ex. Gameplay moves very smoothly, AI is pretty good, and overall its very entertaininig. Probably the only small problems Id say are that in terms of Upgrade Paths, some of the bosses can be disproportionately challenging if you have gone more stealthy, and I found that there were pretty much a core set of needed upgrades, and the rest were kind of fluff. That aside, this is still by far the best game I've played in a long time. Highly recommend it. Expand
  14. Sep 6, 2011
    Great game and one of the best rpg games out now. I really hope the near future is like this in the way that when you walk down to the subway platform the train rolls up on command. My problem with the game is the constant go here - do that mission setup. I run around exploring rooms only to find when i go pick up my next mission (halfway across the map) I need to return to where I justGreat game and one of the best rpg games out now. I really hope the near future is like this in the way that when you walk down to the subway platform the train rolls up on command. My problem with the game is the constant go here - do that mission setup. I run around exploring rooms only to find when i go pick up my next mission (halfway across the map) I need to return to where I just was exploring. Or you complete a mission for someone and they send you back to the same spot to dig deeper. Expand
  15. Sep 7, 2011
    I made a mediacritic account just to review this game. This is the greatest game this generation. There are endless options to solving your goals, and the story takes place in a remarkably believable cyberpunk world. The science and technology is very intricately made with very plausible futuristic technologies, and problems. The political conspiracy -- the Illuminati everything about thisI made a mediacritic account just to review this game. This is the greatest game this generation. There are endless options to solving your goals, and the story takes place in a remarkably believable cyberpunk world. The science and technology is very intricately made with very plausible futuristic technologies, and problems. The political conspiracy -- the Illuminati everything about this game is perfect. This is art folks. This is nothing short of a playable cinematic movie, a visual book. This isn't just an entertaining story its a very believable - possible plot. And it will make you think what will be exposed in the year 2027. Enjoy this masterpiece of entertainment, I assure you will enjoy it. Metal Gear Solid fans will love this. Expand
  16. Sep 8, 2011
    One of the best games in my life. Maybe the best. An epic story, cyberpunk, combined with an atmosphere, which is really credible and an astonishing numbers of possibilities to complete quests (some I could not even think of at first). Besides the game has a lot of meaning and depth for nowadays gaming market. Great graphics and good performance at the same time. There's no clue, that thisOne of the best games in my life. Maybe the best. An epic story, cyberpunk, combined with an atmosphere, which is really credible and an astonishing numbers of possibilities to complete quests (some I could not even think of at first). Besides the game has a lot of meaning and depth for nowadays gaming market. Great graphics and good performance at the same time. There's no clue, that this could be some bad port. A must-have for every fan of cyberpunk and/or stealth-action and rpgs. A brilliant successor of the original Deus Ex. Expand
  17. Sep 13, 2011
    This game failed to keep my interest.

- The radiosity was really bad. Lacked color bounce and soft shadows I found that to be hurting the immersion of the game. - The hacking puzzles although maby good on paper, became really annoying and I started to begrudge them. - The AI was stupid and predictable like the AI I've seen on similar PSone games made 10 years ago like syphon filter or
    This game failed to keep my interest.

- The AI was stupid and predictable like the AI I've seen on similar PSone games made 10 years ago like syphon filter or metal gear.

By the time I got to the China hub, I lost interest completely and stopped playing. That was like a week ago. still haven't finished the game. I feel like I just wasted my 50 dollars.
  18. Sep 12, 2011
    The game is simply amazing.... The graphics on the PC version are beautiul, the 360 looks good, but the PC looks fantastic at high res with all the settings on high. The atmosphere, lighting, textures, environments, character models, and music is just fantastic. The game's few low points are boss battles, some writing decisions regarding the main character, where you would think heThe game is simply amazing.... The graphics on the PC version are beautiul, the 360 looks good, but the PC looks fantastic at high res with all the settings on high. The atmosphere, lighting, textures, environments, character models, and music is just fantastic. The game's few low points are boss battles, some writing decisions regarding the main character, where you would think he wouldn't have done certain actions, and some timeline issues regarding Nicolette. This is one of those games that I'll go back and play from time to time, just like the original Deus Ex. This is the team's first game together, and they knocked it out of the park. If your a fan of the original, the devs definitely catered to you, lots of references to old characters from the the first game, old music layered into new, and some visual references too. If you enjoyed the first game, you will love this one. Expand
  19. Sep 14, 2011
    Fantastic game ...one of the best I've played. At first, I wasn't sure that I'd like it...but as I delve further into the game the better I liked it.
  20. May 6, 2012
    Mass Effect is **** compared to this.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  21. Sep 17, 2011
    Deus Ex doesn't live up to its predecessor, but it's still a decent game. PC controls aren't too bad and they're more customizable than the average PC port. Works fine in DX11, and post patches hasn't crashed for me at all. Despite all the blatantly obvious choices made to consoleize this game, it still remains above average for a PC game. Day 1 DLC was a stupid choice, and only 2 uniqueDeus Ex doesn't live up to its predecessor, but it's still a decent game. PC controls aren't too bad and they're more customizable than the average PC port. Works fine in DX11, and post patches hasn't crashed for me at all. Despite all the blatantly obvious choices made to consoleize this game, it still remains above average for a PC game. Day 1 DLC was a stupid choice, and only 2 unique hubs made this game feel rather small. The story isn't terribly long for an RPG (25 hours on hardest difficulty first time), there aren't a ton of side quests, and the game was way too easy. All this aside, I enjoyed the experience and hope that if the series continues the developers return to their older roots. Expand
  22. Sep 19, 2011
    I missed the original Deus Ex and wasn't regretting it. I was never fan of it. But when I tried DE: HR I realized, that this is the first game in a long time, which I really enjoyed. Graphic component may seem old to those guys who are fond of Crysis (GRAPHICS!!1), gameplay may seem dull to the ones who are fond of Shooters and persistent action.
    As I have already said, this is the first
    As I have already said, this is the first game since Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) which I enjoyed.
    You just should put your headphones on, turn of the lights and live this game. This is no shooter, this is no RPG, this is no horror. This game is just different. I completed ~50% of the game without even killing anyone. Graphics are just fine. Not hi-end technologies, but everything is smooth and shiny.
    Music is really great here. One should never turn it off.
    Speaking about dialogs... Well, facial animation is way too far from L.A. Noire (okay, every game is), characters' movements are kind of wooden, but you just forget about that, because voices are very emotional (there are few, very few exceptions) and dialogs are written very well, there are almost no usual 'stamps'.
    What I really liked about this game is the fact that you can really find many solutions to complete something. Developers were talking about it earlier, but, unlike the other games THERE ARE. You can kill people, you can turn them off, you can find hidden entrance - well, there are really many solutions and approaches to every mission and quest completion.
  23. Sep 24, 2011
    Excellent. It defiantly surpassed my expectations, when I first pre-ordered it I didn't expect that this was going to become one of my top favorite games. I only had a couple problems with it, I think it would've been great if they gave you more of an option to focus on melee combat, I would like to use my extreme cyborg powers strength and reflexes to take people down face to face, andExcellent. It defiantly surpassed my expectations, when I first pre-ordered it I didn't expect that this was going to become one of my top favorite games. I only had a couple problems with it, I think it would've been great if they gave you more of an option to focus on melee combat, I would like to use my extreme cyborg powers strength and reflexes to take people down face to face, and although the cut scene/battery system they have is great, there really isn't much of a way to make a character that is completely centered around melee rather than guns. I found that rather disappointing, but other than that, great game, pretty decent character progression with the augments. It's on my top favorites. Expand
  24. Sep 28, 2011
    For me it was even a little bit too long. But the ending was worth waiting. Adam Jensen has the best voice in whole games history! It was a really good time, that I spend with DXHR.
  25. Oct 3, 2011
    A great and interesting game. each time you make a decision it changes the play of the game. One of the best games i've ever played. Since owning this game I've played it twic e from start to finish and am just about to start for a third time.
  26. Oct 14, 2011
    Excellent shooter and espionage game, very addictive. A good story, well thought out. It's a game that needs concentration. It is interesting, brilliant.
  27. Oct 14, 2011
    I absolutely loved this game. The graphics were great, the game play was good and the story was amazing. This is exactly what a Deus Ex game is supposed to be. The one flaw is the fact that boss fights felt like they were completely separated from the rest of the game. The main game allows you to use your talents to accomplish goals in a multitude of ways while the boss fights were runI absolutely loved this game. The graphics were great, the game play was good and the story was amazing. This is exactly what a Deus Ex game is supposed to be. The one flaw is the fact that boss fights felt like they were completely separated from the rest of the game. The main game allows you to use your talents to accomplish goals in a multitude of ways while the boss fights were run & gun fests. If the boss fights were like the rest of the game I would give it a 10. Expand
  28. Oct 20, 2011
    This is pretty much a prime example of a game that is simply an unequivocally true sequel/prequel to a game that has simply begged for a real sequel/prequel since the original game was released. I'm sure that many have felt for a very long time that the second game in the series wasn't really a good Deus Ex sequel at all for one giant glaring flaw, it just didn't feel like a Deus Ex game.This is pretty much a prime example of a game that is simply an unequivocally true sequel/prequel to a game that has simply begged for a real sequel/prequel since the original game was released. I'm sure that many have felt for a very long time that the second game in the series wasn't really a good Deus Ex sequel at all for one giant glaring flaw, it just didn't feel like a Deus Ex game. Even though I honestly see the second game as being a just plain awesome stand alone game, I can definitely see why people don't like it. With Human Revolution everything that sequel ruined is totally redeemed. which is why if I could I'd give it the nick name of "Deus Ex: Redemption". However I've only played through the game once, though it only took me one play through to see that almost everything about this game warrants at least three play through's so consider that, and then factor in all the ways there are to play the game, and you just might have the ES:Oblivion of futuristic sci-fi rpg's. Expand
  29. Oct 23, 2011
    great storyline,Love the Characters of this game,love the way how to complete an Objective,I like exploring on this game,The Inventory system make me feel nostalgia when I played RE 4,I love that too.there's separate story if we make wrong/other choices.that make me play this game again and again.the Augmented upgrade yess that's Cool,the cons of this game is just the graphic, I reallygreat storyline,Love the Characters of this game,love the way how to complete an Objective,I like exploring on this game,The Inventory system make me feel nostalgia when I played RE 4,I love that too.there's separate story if we make wrong/other choices.that make me play this game again and again.the Augmented upgrade yess that's Cool,the cons of this game is just the graphic, I really dissapointed when first time I played this game.the graphic is kinda different from it's trailler Expand
  30. Dec 4, 2011
    THe game is quite overrated. it is interesting, but it is definitely not 10/10 type of game. music is great, offers a lot of option during gameplay, but the game in general very repetitive in many cases. the storyline is amaizing and it feels a bit streched. even though it seems like an open world it really isnt, because htere is so much you can do. also you get to hate the limit ofTHe game is quite overrated. it is interesting, but it is definitely not 10/10 type of game. music is great, offers a lot of option during gameplay, but the game in general very repetitive in many cases. the storyline is amaizing and it feels a bit streched. even though it seems like an open world it really isnt, because htere is so much you can do. also you get to hate the limit of piraxies you can purchase Expand
  31. Jun 29, 2012
    WOW!, is thought the previous 2 deus ex games were good but it was nothing like this, i love this game... what else can i say, they just keep getting better. I played Deus Ex 1 like 10 years ago, then the 2nd one a few weeks ago which is way better but kinda short. This 3rd installment is even better, amazing game, i got it for 15 or 20 bucks for all 3 off Steam on a 75% off deal lastWOW!, is thought the previous 2 deus ex games were good but it was nothing like this, i love this game... what else can i say, they just keep getting better. I played Deus Ex 1 like 10 years ago, then the 2nd one a few weeks ago which is way better but kinda short. This 3rd installment is even better, amazing game, i got it for 15 or 20 bucks for all 3 off Steam on a 75% off deal last weekend, i feel like i punched a kid in the face and stole his candy because it was such a good deal. This game is pure awsome, sound, graphics, gameplay, mechanics, voice acting, RPG elements, Stealth elements, all top notch! SOLID 10! id give it a 15 over 10 if i could, best game ive played in years. Expand
  32. Oct 31, 2013
    Finally a worthy successor to Deus Ex. Fantastic balance, amazing detail and realized world. Sad then that I can't give this a full 10 because the boss battles break the "free choice" system in the game forcing you to go for combat skills even if you would rather stealth and hack your way around.
  33. Nov 10, 2011
    I've played the game a few times though now and must say it's an awesome, very well done game. I agree with Ratkoon, I too was a bit concerned given I was also a fan of the original, heck, I still own it. :) I love the story line, I love the way the augments work and I love the "high tech" feel to Human Revolution. I think this one deserves a 10 due to amazing graphics, a very deep,I've played the game a few times though now and must say it's an awesome, very well done game. I agree with Ratkoon, I too was a bit concerned given I was also a fan of the original, heck, I still own it. :) I love the story line, I love the way the augments work and I love the "high tech" feel to Human Revolution. I think this one deserves a 10 due to amazing graphics, a very deep, rich story line and well done character build up/utilization all blend well to make the game very immersive. HR and Missing Like both have me drooling for more! :) If I had one complaint it would be the AI. As someone pointed out you can shoot a police officer then wait until they go back into relaxed state and carry on about your business. I believe the problem is specific to the concept of NPCs that start out being friendly, but can change state. Perhaps once the player is deemed an enemy in that area, they should stay one? Only issue is this may pose a big problem for being able to finish quests. Either way, I tend to agree with the argument that the AI could use some work but Iâ Expand
  34. Nov 11, 2011
    First off, i didn't want this game. I bought it for Onlive cloud gaming service just to get the free console hardware. Well, when it was released i was mesmerized. it is such a great game!!!!!!! Play metal gear solid stealth style, hacking computers, sneaking up on baddies and sneaking past them. Or, you can go in guns ablazing and punch through walls or whatever. there is a very complexFirst off, i didn't want this game. I bought it for Onlive cloud gaming service just to get the free console hardware. Well, when it was released i was mesmerized. it is such a great game!!!!!!! Play metal gear solid stealth style, hacking computers, sneaking up on baddies and sneaking past them. Or, you can go in guns ablazing and punch through walls or whatever. there is a very complex skill tree that you build up depending on what style you want to play, and there are many interesting sidequests that should keep you busy. Get this game if you like engrossing 40+ hour action rpgs. Expand
  35. Jul 31, 2012
    Rarely does a game get so many game-play elements right as Deus Ex: Human Revolution does. It is a semi-open world mission-based game that revolves around infiltrating hostile locations and retrieving objectives. The approach you take towards reaching your objective is completely up to you, and you will be rewarded accordingly. You can walk through the front door and engage in an all-outRarely does a game get so many game-play elements right as Deus Ex: Human Revolution does. It is a semi-open world mission-based game that revolves around infiltrating hostile locations and retrieving objectives. The approach you take towards reaching your objective is completely up to you, and you will be rewarded accordingly. You can walk through the front door and engage in an all-out gunfight (although it is worth noting that on PC, aiming down your sights is toggle-only) provided you have the weapons, ammunition and FPS skill to take all of your enemies down, or you can find an alternate entry and sneak past guards undetected, taking them down silently as you crawl through the shadows. I found this approach to be more fun and more rewarding, as exploring secret areas and finding uncommon routes to your objective will net you XP and item rewards. While there is no level or level cap in the game, gaining enough XP by taking down enemies, finding secret areas and completing objectives will earn you praxis points, which can be invested into the game's skill tree. These upgrades that you can purchase using praxis, called augmentations, will increase your chances of survival and should reflect your play style. If you tend to find yourself in gunfights a lot, you'll want to upgrade your weapon damage and health. If you're a sneaky bugger and you don't want your enemies to know what hit them, you'll probably be best off purchasing the stealth augmentations. If you like coercing others into sharing your point of view in conversations, you'll want the augmentation that allows you to see how people are reacting to what you're saying.
    Stealth is arguably the tougher method of completing the game, but I found it to be extremely rewarding. I have not played any other Deus Ex game before, nor am I particularly fond of stealth games; I struggle to complete Splinter Cell games. But Human Revolution is very accessible for the average player, the balancing is great and it never feels like the game has an unfair advantage over you, nor that it is too easy. And even if you bought the game expecting an FPS, you won't be disappointed. The shooting feels varied and functional, with an array of weapons at your disposal.
    Between these missions, you will have time to explore the cities the game takes place in. There may not be a lot of them and they may not be very large in size, but they're just enough to allow you some breathing space between the fast-paced action that takes place during missions. You can sell and buy items, talk to people and look for loot around areas such as Detroit or Hengsha, a Chinese city with a completely different atmosphere. Sometimes I felt as though the game could offer me a little more freedom in roaming its setting, but it's nothing that will ruin the experience.
    The game's story won't leave you sobbing, but it's a solid tale that holds together the masterful game-play. Some bits in particular that I won't spoil, were very well made and truly had an impact on the way I viewed the characters involved.
    This game is fantastic. Solid shooting, balanced and very rewarding stealth, a thoughtfully made skill tree, all surrounded by a good story make for a very fun experience. If you're remotely interested in stealth, or if you want a shooter with a little more meaning to it, definitely purchase Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
  36. Dec 3, 2011
    It was never going to be the sequel anyone wanted, but Human Revolution is a fine game. More ambitious than most "Triple A" titles dare to even dream of being, with a well-realised aesthetic and building reasonably well on a strong pre-existing setting. The game is only really let down by the awkward character movements during dialogue and boss fights that feel like they'd fit right into aIt was never going to be the sequel anyone wanted, but Human Revolution is a fine game. More ambitious than most "Triple A" titles dare to even dream of being, with a well-realised aesthetic and building reasonably well on a strong pre-existing setting. The game is only really let down by the awkward character movements during dialogue and boss fights that feel like they'd fit right into a PS2 game from 2003. Expand
  37. Mar 18, 2012
    Had a great time with this one. Initially, I took upgrades to stealth, which became crippling at several of the boss fights. The level design, progression, writing were all very strong. Cover system, also brilliant, emulating a 'hold' style similar to rainbow six vegas. A more superior combat/rpg than any of the mass effects.
  38. Apr 20, 2012
    This game is awe inspiring, and an experience that I would recommend to anyone. The visuals, music, and overall atmosphere pulls you in from the first few minutes, and never lets you go. It took me awhile to adjust to the combat / stealth gameplay, but once I did, it was really fun sneaking around and getting stuff done. The only thing that bothered me was the boss battles. They areThis game is awe inspiring, and an experience that I would recommend to anyone. The visuals, music, and overall atmosphere pulls you in from the first few minutes, and never lets you go. It took me awhile to adjust to the combat / stealth gameplay, but once I did, it was really fun sneaking around and getting stuff done. The only thing that bothered me was the boss battles. They are stupid, annoying, and in many ways, don't fit into the game properly. I also didn't find this game to be addicting at all (certainly not in the way that something like Skyrim is); I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but there you go. Expand
  39. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This isn't a perfect game, but it's a 10 to me. The feel of the world, the visuals, the story.. it all works so well. The gameplay is fun, and it gives you several options on how to do most things. A minor niggle here, would be that you get more xp for using non-lethal measures, but as that is how I prefer to play anyway, I just love it. The story and the levels are great throughout, except for a bit of a sloppy final act. The whole thing with the "zombies" on Panchaea, and the somewhat lackluster endings. These are minor issues though, as far as I'm concerned. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and I really hope there will be a sequel, either to this game or to one of the earlier ones.

Not a perfect game, but an amazing one! 10/10!
  40. Oct 29, 2013
    A game undeserving of the hype, but ok otherwise. Gunfighting is bland but this is meant to be played stealth, where it does a bit better. The graphics are very dated, comparable to a game from 2006, like Hitman Blood Money. The level design is also mediocre, but neither of these ruin the game, the story is ok. For me the mechanics are a bit old-fashioned and arcade, but otherwiseA game undeserving of the hype, but ok otherwise. Gunfighting is bland but this is meant to be played stealth, where it does a bit better. The graphics are very dated, comparable to a game from 2006, like Hitman Blood Money. The level design is also mediocre, but neither of these ruin the game, the story is ok. For me the mechanics are a bit old-fashioned and arcade, but otherwise acceptable. Porting from console to PC has been done well. Expand
  41. May 18, 2012
    A perfect combination of Crysis, the old Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid, X-Files and Mass Effect, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a shooter, semi RPG, cyberpunk-themed game that sucks you in.

The stealth missions, the shooting, the mini quest, the free roaming, the inventory arranging, the weapon's choices, and last, the augmentations. Those are the goods of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The bad?

The bad? Boss fights. The boss fights will never, ever fit in the game. Just like a "Z" Tetris' puzzle piece, it's annoying and you can't make it disappear (or skip it). For a game that promote stealth, it's quite surprising that the developer could think of boss fights will fit well in the game.
  42. May 25, 2012
    There is very little to hate about a game that has everything that a shooter and realist freak loves. The fact that the environment that you play in affects the future of your game makes this game outrageously beautiful. In this game you start of as a security officer for a human enhancement company, and you end up being a very highly purposed man (with great guns). In this game you haveThere is very little to hate about a game that has everything that a shooter and realist freak loves. The fact that the environment that you play in affects the future of your game makes this game outrageously beautiful. In this game you start of as a security officer for a human enhancement company, and you end up being a very highly purposed man (with great guns). In this game you have to be smart, you just can't run into a place and expect to survive. Also, what you do with people and specially your guns dictates on what happens to your game-play. I love this game because it has great graphics and everything is so realistic (as far as games go). Expand
  43. May 2, 2013
    This game is superb in every way, It deserves all the ratings, A modern multi-choice game with a different choice of skill trees, A Great stealth system(It is A LOT like dishonored and Far Cry 3's Stealth), a Working inventory system and a gripping story.

When I played this game back in 2011 I thought the Stealth system was pretty poor, but playing the game again on PC in 2013, I've realized the stealth is very diverse in a game where it's not necessarily required, it's not like splinter cell where you can openly walk right past someone, It's not like Tomb Raider(2013) where once your detected, everyone knows your location, It's more "Real" than all of these, The best way to approach the situations is to say, "what would happen in real life?", If your detected, it's not too late, if you can run around the enemy or chase him, OR even just shoot him before he sounds the alarm, the enemies have no way of knowing you were even there, Bodies can be moved like in the fallout games, Enemies can be silently knocked out, OR loudly killed with Adams wrist blades(Cool as F***), When knocked out, the enemies DO awaken, So be quick if this is your method. Now the stealth part is amazing, But what if you hate stealth and like being a loud superhuman? There are skill trees for that too, Like more regeneration, the "Typhoon" and more, And with the games diverse covering system, gunplay and again, stealth, getting the jump on your enemy has never been more fun, i'd go as far to say this game is A LOT better than 2012's dishonored!

If you find this game cheap and you've never played it, GET IT, it's an experience!

Deus Ex Human Revolution is one of the best games this gen, a MUST play!
  44. Jul 20, 2013
    This is one of the less inmersive games I have played, the dialog is dullm boring and predictable, it doesnt feel real at all it feels like if you are playing a game,the action is quite boring,you just dont care about the characters,the main character is a tough guy with a raspy voice (how original),the upgrades are boring. I dont understand the hype behind this game there are much betterThis is one of the less inmersive games I have played, the dialog is dullm boring and predictable, it doesnt feel real at all it feels like if you are playing a game,the action is quite boring,you just dont care about the characters,the main character is a tough guy with a raspy voice (how original),the upgrades are boring. I dont understand the hype behind this game there are much better games out there, I bougth this at 85% discount and I regret it. Expand
  45. May 25, 2013
    This game is a spectacle. On PC, the only visuals that I believe come close are that of Metro: Last Light or Bioshock Infinite (that might not be fair given the limits my PC puts on extreme level graphics). The levels look mostly the same, but considering it is set it one industrial area most of the time that isn't really a problem. However, graphics don't make a game. Game play does. TheThis game is a spectacle. On PC, the only visuals that I believe come close are that of Metro: Last Light or Bioshock Infinite (that might not be fair given the limits my PC puts on extreme level graphics). The levels look mostly the same, but considering it is set it one industrial area most of the time that isn't really a problem. However, graphics don't make a game. Game play does. The shooting is great, but you will find that on many games. The stealth is what makes the game. Sneaking around happens in other games, but in this one the AI reacts much more realistically so you can't stealth kill entire armies. Stealth kills do happen, but when they do you have to hide the body, and even then somebody is bound to hear. Once the first blow is struck, the fun begins. Hide behind boxes, crates, moveable items, in vents, turn invisible, dodge security camera beams, hack security cameras, hack sentry turrets and robots, see through walls, tranquilize your targets, grab hostages, punch and shoot people through walls, or just take the normal approach and shoot everything. Even though this is a linear game, there are no limits to what you can do to complete (or don't) your objectives. Expand
  46. Apr 10, 2013
    Amazing graphics, outstanding campaign, brilliant voice acting and excelent gameplay. Definetly one of the 7th generations best titles. A must-play.
  47. May 25, 2013
    I never played the original but this game is good, and also overhyped. I like this game but it doesn't deserve the 9's and 10's a lot people and critics are giving it. The combat is clunky and awkward, and although the stealth is some of the best i have seen in a while, only beaten out by Splinter Cell and a few other games, it is way too easy. In Splinter Cell you have to plan every moveI never played the original but this game is good, and also overhyped. I like this game but it doesn't deserve the 9's and 10's a lot people and critics are giving it. The combat is clunky and awkward, and although the stealth is some of the best i have seen in a while, only beaten out by Splinter Cell and a few other games, it is way too easy. In Splinter Cell you have to plan every move and taking out a guard is a severe risk because even four or five rooms down the line a guard can discover the body of one of your victims on accident. Guards would realize some of their men are missing if you take too many of them out and radio to other guards to be on alert making the rest of the game harder. The different alert levels also helps Splenter Cell. In DEHR once you get out of a room nothing else really matters. Bodies are too easy to hide and there are no consciences to taking out guards. You can get into a firefight and kill 6 guys only for the next room to be completely unknown about your presence. Without an alert level for the enemy AI this game is too easy. In SC, If you get caught in one room and have a firefight, the rest of the facility is on alert. Im not saying they should have to fight you every time in DEHR, but in splinter cell guards would act accordingly. They would draw weapons and look in places they usually wouldn't, and would also go and get better weapons and body armor to react to the threat making detection in the game actually mean something and add difficulty. After all this complaining, the story is easily this games best part. Its what keeps me playing even through this games flaws. I would easily recommend the Splinter Cell series along with Dishonored and the Hitman Series over this game, but this game isn't bad. Its just there is stuff a lot better out there. Expand
  48. Jan 11, 2015
    I completed DE:HR Directors Cut in 29.5 hours.

I completed DE:HR Directors Cut in 29.5 hours.

I don't like the colour tint on everything. The only word to describe the graphics is flat, (excluding cut-scenes). The sound and the feel of the guns is not AAA, it's B grade. My biggest complaint though is, it's so slow. Sometimes you are just plodding around and nothing is getting done. Then it moves along a little, and you get that PC game rush. Not over-whelming or brilliant; just oh that moves along, that was almost ok, this is nearly good. Followed by another hour of nothing really happening.

I bet this game has my highest number of time starting it up, because I do ten to thirty minutes get bored and close down. It's so boring sometimes that I have bought and played The Evil Within twice, while playing DE:HR.

Probably my equal biggest gripe though, is getting lost. The maps are quite big. They are often in two halves and linked by a loading screen. You'll get a task, struggle like hell to find and get to it even with a waypoint. Then you'll struggle unbelievably to get back to base. Only to get another task and sent back again. Finding it second time is just as confusing.

Hacking, always hacking. Last mission I must have hacked seventy terminals. It's not really entertainment. If I had more sense I would give up. I have Alien Isolation downloaded and waiting. I have the new Wolfenstein. Eight new games waiting for me. Only I want to get unfinished games out of the way first.

Final complaint being last but not least. This game is full of areas with alarms. Wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah! On and on until you find a panel to switch it off. I mean probabaly 1/5 of the game I was listening to a klaxon in repeat cycle.

Really it's a strong 64% rating. Consider this, it makes you sit through ten minutes of credits for an un-interesting and very short cut scene after. That's a perfect example of the attitude of the whole game.
  49. Aug 12, 2013
    It was a fairly decent game I enjoyed taxing bad guys and shooting gangsters,but when I reloaded the game from a save point the game graphically glitches out I mean you couldn't even see the player in cover that's how bad out it was therefore this game gets a zero
  50. Aug 28, 2011
    It is a fantastic, atmospheric game! Kind of oldskool in its quality (means: quality). You can find flaws here and there if you are looking for them, but if you open yourself to its values, then it can become a really-really immerse experience! Recommended for all cyberpunk fans!! ...and if you have time, don't just rush through this game - give it time, explore, be creative in the way youIt is a fantastic, atmospheric game! Kind of oldskool in its quality (means: quality). You can find flaws here and there if you are looking for them, but if you open yourself to its values, then it can become a really-really immerse experience! Recommended for all cyberpunk fans!! ...and if you have time, don't just rush through this game - give it time, explore, be creative in the way you solve quests, etc, and it may be very rewarding:) Expand
  51. Aug 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is there a game category "Least Disappointing Game of the Year?" If so, I nominate DX:HR, as some know it. Steam says I have more than 80 hours of gameplay in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and my impressions have firmed-up. It seems the developers took lessons from many of my favorite games and movies and incorporated them into one immersive, exciting, respectful and fun experience. I hoped for something good, and got something unexpected.

But that is often the key, isn't it? It is a game of expectations, this larger game of enjoyment. I am a PC gamer who ranks the original Deus Ex as possibly the best game I have ever played. Hype and glossy CGI trailers do not excite me, though I do consume them sometimes ravenously. These days, all games would be disappointing if we required that they live up to all their hype.

Still, I have been disappointed in many games of late, most notably sequels like "The Witcher 2." I could sum up my disappointment by saying it is hard to understand why sequels move so far from the original formula which brought them so much success.

One of the first things you will notice, as the game gets underway, is the Tutorial System. They have come up with a system that is not intrusive, but at the same time is very helpful. When you enter an area where a new skill is introduced a message appears in the upper right saying you should Press Tab to get tutorial help with that topic. When you enter the fray the message disappears.

When you get out on the street you will notice how natural the by-standers seem. Talking on cell phones, smoking cigarettes, saying things real people say. A lot of motion capture and good animation went into this thing. The immersion deepens.

If you are an old fan like me, you may notice things like the voice of Bob Page, the entry code for the CommVan outside UNATCO, or you may recognize the tune someone is whistling on the street. It is icing on the cake of respect they have served up for those who loved the original.

The combat system works, lag is minimal, and you don't feel like you are struggling with the controls constantly. It switches fluidly from first person to third person automatically so you can appreciate your silent take-down or mass destruction.

I require a top-notch story, and I was not disappointed. It seemed like there were usually several ways to solve problems: hacking, leaping across rooftops, crawling through ducts and sewers, tranquilizer darts or sniper rifles.

Somewhere toward the end I realized all the threads were not going to be tied up. How did I not see this coming? The story was complete unto itself, and we may never see Adam Jensen again, but it seems designed for one or more sequels of its own. Just tell me where to pre-order!
  52. Aug 28, 2011
    This game is amazing, it does a great job giving Deus-ex fans what they want, it may have horrible graphics and textures on consoles, but on the PC, man, it looks amazing, the story is great and the game, as it is, is fantastic, I've played thru it for 4 times already, trying with different augs.

Get this game if you want to spend a looooot of time finishing a game and enjoying it at the same time.
  53. Aug 30, 2011
    While I realize that the backlash will be severe, I have to agree with many of the other reviewers who believe that this game is being overrated. If you read Tallow's review you will find most of my complaints, and while I am not as harsh as he is on some aspects, I generally found this game to be slightly better than mediocre. I have been playing games for a couple decades now and IWhile I realize that the backlash will be severe, I have to agree with many of the other reviewers who believe that this game is being overrated. If you read Tallow's review you will find most of my complaints, and while I am not as harsh as he is on some aspects, I generally found this game to be slightly better than mediocre. I have been playing games for a couple decades now and I have seen the introduction of most gameplay changes, so I feel confident when I say that Dues Ex HR reveals nothing original in its gameplay, and to a large extent in its setting. While it is acceptable to fail slightly to provide either of these individually, being mediocre at both left me feeling bored halfway through. My major suggestion for these developers is to improve their gameplay because to me it felt stiff and dated. Oh and please stop giving missions to meet someone on one side of the map only to have a five second conversation where they ask you to go back to the other side of the map, and then return of course. This game is better than average, but certainly not genius, brilliant, perfect, original, or unparalleled as some have said it is. Expand
  54. Aug 31, 2011
    Game of the year contender for sure. From graphics to gameplay this game doesn't disappoint. The replay-ability due to the 6 endings and many ways to tackle each mission and side mission. Game will take between 20 to 50 hours depending on difficulty and weather or not you will want to collect all the collectibles and do side missions.
  55. Aug 28, 2011
    Just great . I did complete the first one in time. This new one is up to true fans of cyberpunk and first deus ex . Nonlinear , dark and amazing this game is . Ten years past from the original and non of the games still as peculiar and qualitative as Deus Ex or Deus Ex HR . It's hard to describe how complex this game is though. Sound , game-play , art style - all this keeps you near theJust great . I did complete the first one in time. This new one is up to true fans of cyberpunk and first deus ex . Nonlinear , dark and amazing this game is . Ten years past from the original and non of the games still as peculiar and qualitative as Deus Ex or Deus Ex HR . It's hard to describe how complex this game is though. Sound , game-play , art style - all this keeps you near the screen to the end . Expand
  56. Aug 29, 2011
    I've never posted a public review of a game before, but I created a Metacritic account just to post this review. Not since Civilization 5 was released back in Sept '10 have I actually called in sick from work just to play a game - and I did it for this one! DX:HR is definitely a more than worthy successor to the original DX. It feels so much like DX 1, but improved so beautifully in everyI've never posted a public review of a game before, but I created a Metacritic account just to post this review. Not since Civilization 5 was released back in Sept '10 have I actually called in sick from work just to play a game - and I did it for this one! DX:HR is definitely a more than worthy successor to the original DX. It feels so much like DX 1, but improved so beautifully in every way. I love the visuals. The areas are complex but not confusing, with plenty of different ways to get around - from the rooftops to the sewers. The weapons are great and all have a number of upgrades available. I really like the conversation system. Many times I've gone through a conversation and then reloaded just to see how it would go with different choices. I've always been a stealth player when the game allows it and the stealth system in DX:HR is very good. I was glad to see the familiar and very functional inventory system, which really reduced the learning curve. One of my favorite parts of the game is the hacking system. Even when I have a code for a computer or lock, I still go through the hacking process. A great way to rack up experience points! I know that as soon as I'm done watching the final cutscene I'm going to immediately start a new game! AWESOME! Expand
  57. Aug 29, 2011
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is superb. The story has a nice arch with a (foreseeable, albeit) dramatic climax. More importantly however is how well Eidios did with the dialog- almost every character has something to say and there are literally hundreds (if not more) conversations you can overhear people discussing. At first, I really didn't like Jensen's (that's the main character, btw)Deus Ex: Human Revolution is superb. The story has a nice arch with a (foreseeable, albeit) dramatic climax. More importantly however is how well Eidios did with the dialog- almost every character has something to say and there are literally hundreds (if not more) conversations you can overhear people discussing. At first, I really didn't like Jensen's (that's the main character, btw) voice but the gruffness eventually began to fit his heartless, professional persona. Gameplay wise, the cover system is almost exactly like that of Mass Effect's. Shooting is pretty normal, but picking off headshots can be almost too easy once you get the hang of it. Luckily, later in the game, enemies don't die with just one shot to the head (due to dermal plating and helmets) which provides a much greater consent to go the quite route as opposed to guns blazing. The stealth elements are very enjoyable, my only qualms lie within the AI which makes things a little too simple and you can almost walk right past them at times; on the other hand, however, the positioning of body guards can be very complex and often require an alternate route. Audio and visuals are quite good and I managed to get the game running on max settings with my GTX 460- even with DX11, which brings tessellation, which is fantastic.
    Although this game is very enjoyable, there is one thing that amounts to so much grief it strips this game down to an 8.5 (had to round up, don't hate): boss fights. Never have I enjoyed a game so much up until the boss fights. My entire character was based around stealth and hacking- I never got thickened armor or better legs or whatever augmentations (augmentations are like upgrades for your character- kind of like Crysis but permanent). So, even though 90% of the game was perfectly acceptable for my character, the boss fights were a horrific mess. Eventually, I learned to just tase the bastards and grenade launch them to death. The boss fights were poor attempts to make the game into Zelda or Mass Effect where your character is built purely for combat. It was disappointing to see all of my augments wasted because I chose the more placid route. Anyhow, in some ways this game deserves a 10 and in others a 6. But I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected I would and found the story interesting enough to make me want to watch all the cutscenes. I seriously hope they make more of these, because it's a fantastic series that deserves the praise it's gotten and this revival is a testament to its fortitude.
  58. Aug 30, 2011
    Great game. It definitely keeps up with the original from 10 years ago. The atmosphere of the game is absolutely amazing! And that's what define DX. It was an awesome accomplish with a lot nice details, but It's the atmosphere what it makes it highly addicting!! Minor flaws here and there DO NOT spoil the fun. Just get into it and Enjoy!
  59. Aug 30, 2011
    Excellent game , 10 out of 10. By far the best game to have come out this year until time of writing. The atmosphere is rivals that of Arkham Asylum or is perhaps even better. The story is great and really pulls you into it. It is also one of the only games in which I have actually had a hard time making decisions in the different shades of grey. Plus, I find that the conversation systemExcellent game , 10 out of 10. By far the best game to have come out this year until time of writing. The atmosphere is rivals that of Arkham Asylum or is perhaps even better. The story is great and really pulls you into it. It is also one of the only games in which I have actually had a hard time making decisions in the different shades of grey. Plus, I find that the conversation system should receive some extra praise, it it done in a truly magnificent way. Expand
  60. Aug 31, 2011
    This has got to be one of the best games ever made, the storyline just drags you in the charicters are deep and fit well, the shooting system and inventory are very similar to the first game but more polished. I only hope they expand this and make another game. The inventory holds just enough equipment to make you have to think what you need rather than what you want. Like any deus ex gameThis has got to be one of the best games ever made, the storyline just drags you in the charicters are deep and fit well, the shooting system and inventory are very similar to the first game but more polished. I only hope they expand this and make another game. The inventory holds just enough equipment to make you have to think what you need rather than what you want. Like any deus ex game there are many vents to crawl through and plenty of places to pick suckers off at a distance with a sniper rifle... you know what they say "you can run but you'll only die tired" the charicters are awsome and i particualry liked Eliza cassan. Come on with the next deus ex game! Expand
  61. Feb 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i really liked everything about deus ex: human revolution right up untill the end. every thing you had done so far in the game didn't matter in the slightest and each of the endings was pointless seeing as how it had no real effect on you and the decisions you made throughout the game could be completely different to how you decided to end the game. the friggin decide and ending'o'matic was completely stupid, it might have had some effect on the dlc but after that ending the dlc is something that i will never get. Expand
  62. Sep 1, 2011
    To start off I must say the hype and promotions for the game really made me raise the bar for Deus Ex Human Revolution, which ultimately was a let down when it wasn't how I expected. But besides my misconceptions of what I wanted DEHR to be, there were many additions that really boosted the game. **Pros** The game play in DEHR is well done, with the cover-move system benefiting the stealthTo start off I must say the hype and promotions for the game really made me raise the bar for Deus Ex Human Revolution, which ultimately was a let down when it wasn't how I expected. But besides my misconceptions of what I wanted DEHR to be, there were many additions that really boosted the game. **Pros** The game play in DEHR is well done, with the cover-move system benefiting the stealth side of the game as well as the offensive aspect. City hubs and specific mission levels are well crafted and populated to provide both an immersive experience and thought provocative game play, yet certain areas can be quite linear. The size of the city hubs is both a pro and a con; city hubs are well laid out and have a continuous theme, yet there is few side quests for you to find or stumble across which are not fed to you by key characters. Conversations were a nice treat as your choices and its affects seemed to adhere properly to the emotion and tensions of the current situation, even without the social augmentation. **Cons** DEHR's story telling suffers from a tasteless integration of CGI cinematic cut scenes that differ from the game engine greatly, breaking the immersion as the story flips between the two with no smooth transition as opposed to Mass Effect or CoD cut scenes which perform flawlessly. And to add to the sorrow of DEHR's story telling, the facial animations of characters in game lacked feeling and emotion, while also seeming to be mouthing something entirely different from the dialog. Also the story seemed vague on certain details and somewhat copy-paste feel with little uniqueness applied, giving the player the feeling of playing the same story before in another game. The score could have been a little more emotionally packed while the audio engineering was wacky at times, having reverb or varying sound effects applied or lost in character dialog during conversations. **Overall** I give DEHR 7/10 because Square Enix delievered a solid prequel to Deus Ex, but I wish more time would have been spent polishing certain areas as storytelling and facial animation during conversations. Expand
  63. Sep 6, 2011
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of the first true organic video games I've played. My choices meant everything, the experience was my own. Everything from the paths I took to get to my destinations to who I let live and who I killed, Deus Ex gave me control, and gave me the unprecedented power of choice. I have yet to complete my first playthrough, and when people tell me about decisionsDeus Ex: Human Revolution is one of the first true organic video games I've played. My choices meant everything, the experience was my own. Everything from the paths I took to get to my destinations to who I let live and who I killed, Deus Ex gave me control, and gave me the unprecedented power of choice. I have yet to complete my first playthrough, and when people tell me about decisions to make later in the game, I feel like the game has been, in part, spoiled for me. I love this game because it is mine, I own this game. Not just because of the money I spent, but because my choices, my story, my character, and my adventure, were all mine, all my doing. From my grand successes to my most frustrating failures, it was all about MY input. And that is what makes this game special, THAT is what makes this game art. This game is not just a journey through the life of Adam Jensen, this game is a journey through yourself, what morals you uphold and which qualities you take for granted. This game is art, and should be respected as such. The stars of Human Revolution is, of course, the augmentations. Upgrading your character is a journey all on its own; after you've earned the Praxis points necessary to purchase the invisibility augmentation, or the ability to see and punch through walls, you feel not only more like a badass, but that your hard in-game labor has finally rewarded you. Augmentations differ drastically, from granting you more power cells to giving you the ability to wipe out a roomful of baddies with the push of a button. Every aug you purchase reflects your style of gameplay, from stealth enhancements to thicker skin to more resourceful hacking abilities. Without some augs, some areas will become impossible to access, while others become ripe to be explored. Whatever augs you choose, that decision is finalized, and will always, always, impact you later in the game. Of course, such an amazing game, with all of its moral quandaries, personal storylines, customization options, and great gameplay, is not without its shortcomings. The most noticeable flaw is in the graphics; while the game is beautiful 90% of the time, facial animations suffer during conversations with NPCs, and occasionally textures appear to be less detailed than they should. Overall though, the graphics are very clear and vivid. Another flaw would be the boss fights, which completely do away with all the of the options to choose how to deal with an engagement in the game. You just hide until they unload their clips, then go at them with all you've got. You WILL die, several times, during these boss fights.Without the right augs, these are a pain to complete. Luckily, there are only four of these in the game. All in all, the game is incredible. It's got qualities that appeal to the shooter crowd, with its snappy controls and great weaponry. It also has the depth of a top-of-the-line RPG, as a Deus Ex game should. A must-buy. Expand
  64. Sep 25, 2011
    The original Deus Ex provides a monumental standard from which to judge its predecessors; its towering example cannot be denied. While the gameplay experience of DX:HR cannot be denied - it kept me occupied for many more hours than most or all of its contemporaries - its depth and scope are deception. In DX, the developers created a universe so vast and nebulous that the player couldThe original Deus Ex provides a monumental standard from which to judge its predecessors; its towering example cannot be denied. While the gameplay experience of DX:HR cannot be denied - it kept me occupied for many more hours than most or all of its contemporaries - its depth and scope are deception. In DX, the developers created a universe so vast and nebulous that the player could affect his or her experience as brutally as he or she chose (I recall killing both Gunther and Anna as early as possible for jollies and being shocked at the reprecussions it ultimately had.) DX:HR makes you think your decisions are important, and then just ... leaves you cold. The player can run through with no regard for life or plot and see the same four endings, the same locations and dialog. No reward system exists. Besides that, the player can go the entire game mercifully instead of lethally and find no acknowledgement AT ALL. I didn't get the Steam achievement after all that sneaky effort, and I never carried a gun except during boss battles. Yes, reality lacks a reward system also. DX:HR is not reality. Is it entertaining? Yes. I am not rating a television show, however. I'm rating the (competent) sequel to possibly the greatest FPS/RPG ever. Entertainment without true depth is something that can be found in many, many games. The art direction, sound design, world construction - these are all brilliant. Many gamers will wet themselves in joy. I imagine this as some crippled Adonis, some sleeping and underrealized beauty. What should have been Dune is instead a Spider Robinson novel - masterful and timeless without being angry, without trying the observer. I deleted my local content after my chosen ending awarded me with its terrifying frustration. Expand
  65. May 20, 2012
    I find this game to be mediocre, I really tried to ''get into it'' but I have difficulty doing so. I'm at my 14th hour of playing the game, and I still find the plot kinda boring and bland. I wish it wasn't as predictable as it is. The quests are pretty straight forward. The graphics are also boring. The Stealth system is cool and easy to use, I guess this is what is keeping me in theI find this game to be mediocre, I really tried to ''get into it'' but I have difficulty doing so. I'm at my 14th hour of playing the game, and I still find the plot kinda boring and bland. I wish it wasn't as predictable as it is. The quests are pretty straight forward. The graphics are also boring. The Stealth system is cool and easy to use, I guess this is what is keeping me in the game. The concept is good, but the only thing memorable that I think I'm going to have of this game is the fact that I want to try the first of the series to see if it's better. I got to say tho, it's worth the 10$ I paid for it on Steam, and I'm glad I haven't paid more. Peace and Loooooove! Expand
  66. Feb 19, 2014
    The style and visuals of this game are absolutely amazing.
    But the multiple 'open' areas of the game fall short, since it's just corridors with some microscopical roads and cars with a skybox.
    The style and visuals of this game are absolutely amazing.

At the beginning, the stealth is really nice. Being able to take on situations differently. But there comes a moment where the amount of possible routes are over the top, and a lot of times, I ended up hacking a door which leads back to the street, or following a sewer that led me away from where I wanted to go.

In some parts of the game, they put you in a room with SOOO many guards, cameras and robots that it becomes funny. To the point where it's ironic if you were able to pass through it. In these moments you'll be forced a lot into combat. (unless you reload your save file 50 times over till you ace it) Where it's 1 vs 5-15 with a real limited amount of ammo.

>>>SPOILER AHEAD
  67. Aug 31, 2011
    Just finished it last night (on Deus Ex mode of course) - simply put this is the best story-led RPG(ish) game I've played for literally years... easily beating The Witcher 2 and DA2 (though they're both fantasy genre of course) - if you were a fan of the original (and who wasn't?), buy Human Revolution. The storyline is great, the graphics lovely, the hacking mini-game is veryJust finished it last night (on Deus Ex mode of course) - simply put this is the best story-led RPG(ish) game I've played for literally years... easily beating The Witcher 2 and DA2 (though they're both fantasy genre of course) - if you were a fan of the original (and who wasn't?), buy Human Revolution. The storyline is great, the graphics lovely, the hacking mini-game is very Shadowrun/Cyberpunk and while a little repetitive as you do a LOT of hacking (well I did, YMMV) it's probably the best implementation I've seen in a PC game yet - it is, in short a worthy successor to Deus Ex.

There are only 2 minor niggles I had with the game. Firstly, I've been playing a lot of Brink and InFamous recently and not being able to do something simple like jump up and grab onto a ledge to pull yourself up seems really retrograde, you've got cyber-arms for fricks sake, you should be able to pull yourself up walls if needs be - this can be largely offset with leg and back enhancements but still (the Icarus Landing System is _very_ InFamous).

The other is boss fights... *sighs* again. The Witcher 2 did them worse but not by much - once again it's a matter of drop you into an inescapable room and fight it out. The short, simple and quick solution is lob an EMP grenade at the bad guy which will stun them, then empty a clip of combat rifle ammo, frag grenade (which stuns them again) another clip and another frag grenade... they're a bit rubbish; just make sure you've got plenty of grenades and all 3 "standard" boss fights are little more than a short, tedious distraction from the game. I didn't mind the end-of-game boss though; *shrugs* it was alright - no Crying Wolf from MGS4 but alright.

So that's it, maybe 30 minutes of minor niggles in over 50 hours of gameplay (I like to explore) with a storyline that'll suck you in like a really good book - I'd give it a 95 which means it's closer to a 10 than a 9 anyway.
  68. Sep 6, 2011
    I don't know if I wasn't in the right mood when playing but Human Revolution rubbed me the wrong way. The combat was incredibly generic, the AI seemed quite content with walking towards me while I was in cover, thus creating a sort of fish in a barrel situation. The part that irked me the most though was the RPG aspect. The response wheel from Mass Effect makes a return. I'm sorry, but I'mI don't know if I wasn't in the right mood when playing but Human Revolution rubbed me the wrong way. The combat was incredibly generic, the AI seemed quite content with walking towards me while I was in cover, thus creating a sort of fish in a barrel situation. The part that irked me the most though was the RPG aspect. The response wheel from Mass Effect makes a return. I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of these wheels. They neither tell you exactly what you'll say nor are they sometimes even remotely close to what the text alludes to. There really needs to be a switch from "text" to "mood" of responses. Angry, Comforting, what have you. Just stop making these terrible dialogue wheels people. Expand
  69. Sep 3, 2011
    Long story short, it's an amazing game with some very overlooked flaws. The augmentation system was poorly planned out, your choices in-game had no effect in anyway what-so-ever in anything, the boss battles were half assed and cut scenes were dreadful. My major issue with this game was the AI, you can almost compare them to fairly polished Counter Strike Source bots. If you have theLong story short, it's an amazing game with some very overlooked flaws. The augmentation system was poorly planned out, your choices in-game had no effect in anyway what-so-ever in anything, the boss battles were half assed and cut scenes were dreadful. My major issue with this game was the AI, you can almost compare them to fairly polished Counter Strike Source bots. If you have the patience and efficiency for tactical espionage shooters or loved Metal Gear Solid you might find some love for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Expand
  70. Sep 3, 2011
    A had an awesome time playing it. Despite some minor faults, the game is beautiful, with a great storyline, well it's very entertaining!
    Still there is room for improvement, the fact the you have to be very close to the objects to use them is kind annoying, and the end is kindda silly.
  71. Jul 22, 2012
    Disappointment here. Cliche story I guessed after 30min gameplay (before end of intro). Square enix bosses (ie. you either know the trick or you die helplessly). Also a nice shooter that requires a bit of strategy. Secret paths looking like obvious ones. Don't look for a "beyond good and evil" experience.
  72. Nov 16, 2013
    So I was enjoying my quiet peace time when suddenly a wild review pops out showing Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a 90 score on Metacritic. WTF, that can't be right?? So I click on the link to see what it is that these people saw that I missed...
    Amazing graphics? You mean all those flat textures, bad lighting and weirdly unalive faces? Mediocre at best really...
    The mechanics where
    The mechanics where terrible!! It had the fluidity of bread dough going through a sif. The controls where ok, but the act and reactions of everything where horrible, including animations that seemed to have nothing to do with what was actually happening to that NPC.
    Performance issues! Your telling me that I can run Crysis perfectly but I should lag on this piece of crap that I won't even rank in the same decade of graphical quality?
    I'll admit the only part I'll give this game some points is that the story wasn't too bad, quite cool actually, but it didn't pull me in and make me feel invested in the characters like some other games in the past have.
    It felt too me too much like a failed attempt at copying other titles that did what they did much better... And i know the original Deus Ex predated all these games, but then it only means they haven caught up with the times.
    The stealthy and augmented capability fighting was way better in crysis.
    Oh and then you have the bugs.
    Honestly I'm just baffled... I mean come on...
  73. Aug 30, 2011
    To me DX:HR is a sad case of an over-hyped, highly anticipated sequel that simply tries to do too much. The one thing it has going for it is a wide range of play styles, unfortunately none of them are that exciting. The stealth system is mostly limited to hacking doors and using augmentation powers to open up new routes that just bypass most of the combat aspects. At first this is aTo me DX:HR is a sad case of an over-hyped, highly anticipated sequel that simply tries to do too much. The one thing it has going for it is a wide range of play styles, unfortunately none of them are that exciting. The stealth system is mostly limited to hacking doors and using augmentation powers to open up new routes that just bypass most of the combat aspects. At first this is a satisfying enough experience, but if you start to get good at stealth and spend most of your XP points in stealth aspects you can literally walk straight through hostile environments with no consequences. If that isn't very appealing you can just shoot everything, which again at the start can be a fun challenge because its actually pretty difficult going this route. But later on with upgrades and augmentations combat is blatantly easy as well. There are various other paths you can occasionally pick to accomplish quests like persuasion and just using special augments to explore, though both of these are pretty dull. In fact, most of the aspects that are normally associated with similar RPG games like character development, interaction and a reactive environment are simply not present in this game. The only semblance of progress you have in development is your augmentation tree, which offers a lot of variety but it becomes pretty clear early on which routes are the easiest. Story-wise your character doesn't really change no matter what you do, and this bleeds over into the often static environment of city hubs. As stated in other reviews you can literally do anything with no long term consequences which takes a huge hit into the immersion this game could offer. The only reason much of the story in this game is interesting is because it offers an intriguing "what if" science fiction scenario for the future, but I find it so hard to take seriously because I can go around breaking and entering, killing civilians and cops, and in general doing whatever I want with no issues. If you get tired of massacring city hubs you simply hide and wait out your aggression timer. Overall an average FPS/RPG mix with a weak execution and poor re-playability. Expand
  74. Aug 29, 2011
    This is one of these games you play to see the story. Not just mindless shooting like COD or BF.
    You make choices in a game to influence the story and that makes it way more interesting (just like ME).
    The atmosphere you were in was brilliantly made and was perfect for the story. Graphical it all looked very good but sometimes the lip-sync was off (this **** can happen so no worries).
    The atmosphere you were in was brilliantly made and was perfect for the story.
    Although i found this game very good i encountered a lot of frustrating bugs. One of them were game loading crashes.
  75. Aug 26, 2011
    Deus Ex: HR is undoubtedly one of the best recent games I've played. The stealth gameplay really shines, though I found the gunplay fun as well. The side quests and moral choices presented are meaningful, and have long-reaching implications. Dialogue is thoughtful and interesting. Exploring the city hubs is very fun as well, if you enjoy that kind of thing. The story and setting areDeus Ex: HR is undoubtedly one of the best recent games I've played. The stealth gameplay really shines, though I found the gunplay fun as well. The side quests and moral choices presented are meaningful, and have long-reaching implications. Dialogue is thoughtful and interesting. Exploring the city hubs is very fun as well, if you enjoy that kind of thing. The story and setting are also magnificent- fans of the first game won't be disappointed.

Unfortunately, the game is not without flaws. The boss fights are practically unbearable, but few. Also, a great deal of the augmentations are related to hacking, and given the vast number of doors/computers/whatnot to hack, not upgrading this path doesn't really seem like a viable option. Thankfully, the hacking mini-game is pretty entertaining. The energy system for using augments is also kind of weird, but not terrible.... I still haven't really made up my mind on it. The graphics are also a little less dazzling than I'd expected.

Ultimately, this game stays very true to its roots, and the many of the changes made are for the better. Even for all its minor flaws, this game falls just a shade under the greatness of the original.
  76. Aug 28, 2011
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution has been a much needed breath of fresh air for PC games. The story is deep and surprisingly persistently dark. The gameplay is fun, yet challenging. Exploration actually pays off, in more ways than one. I have seen comparisons to Mass Effect 2 from other users, and while the resemblance is visually unavoidable, it in truth feels much more like Splinter Cell orDeus Ex: Human Revolution has been a much needed breath of fresh air for PC games. The story is deep and surprisingly persistently dark. The gameplay is fun, yet challenging. Exploration actually pays off, in more ways than one. I have seen comparisons to Mass Effect 2 from other users, and while the resemblance is visually unavoidable, it in truth feels much more like Splinter Cell or Metal Gear: Solid. Human Revolution is not correctly classified as a First Person Shooter. It is a Stealth Shooter. There is the important difference of not being an invincible tank-man who can soak up 30 rifle bullets, duck behind cover for a few seconds and magically recover from his wounds. Combat is incredibly lethal and even with armor upgrades, you will not be able to take on an entire enemy squad by frontal assault. While the game does make use of the "standard" regenerating health, it only comes in to effective play after combat has ended. If you are a player who can see no solution beyond straightforward run and gun tactics, Human Revolution will be a disappointment for you. Human Revolution is the culmination of what the first two games -should- have been. A solid stealth system, excellent weapon customization, good character customization, great story. It took all that was good from both games, (Yes; Invisible War had good features!) and combined them to create what I believe is a game that is superior to even the original. It loses points however, on unfortunate linearity and lack of true choices. Most of the choices in the game are simply whether or not you want to do this side quest. It certainly suffers from a lack of replayability, garnering it a 9 out of 10. Expand
  77. Nov 3, 2011
    Most overated game of the year! I enjoy the original Deus Ex, I liked the scale of it all. But this looks like some cheap copy of it that feels so much more enclosed. The graphics look 5 years out of date, the acting is terrible. I probably put in about 6 hours of gameplay and I just became bored. Bored of doing the same hacking, bored of doing the same hiding behind boxes, bored ofMost overated game of the year! I enjoy the original Deus Ex, I liked the scale of it all. But this looks like some cheap copy of it that feels so much more enclosed. The graphics look 5 years out of date, the acting is terrible. I probably put in about 6 hours of gameplay and I just became bored. Bored of doing the same hacking, bored of doing the same hiding behind boxes, bored of crawling down ventalation shafts. Maybe if thats your thing, you`ll enjoy this game. But for me, I prefer some good solid sandbox action in a large environment with bang upto date graphics. This game has none of that. Expand
  78. Oct 18, 2012
    Having looked at the ridiculous, perfect 10 scores the Eidos and Square employees have been giving this rather mediocre game, I've decided to try and balance out the bias a bit (by awarding a nice fat zero to this console abomination)...
  79. Aug 31, 2011
    The gameplay is all over the place, the AI is absurd, the animated art is tatty and actual interactivity (and forget "story interativity") is very weak, almost non-existent. I don't understand all the hype and craziness. This is no LGS legacy game, much less one of Ion Storm. It's a mainstream disappointment.
  80. Aug 29, 2011
    This is the real Deus EX 2 !!!. As an older player (30) I realy thought that old times, where games were tough, full of choices and consequences are over. DXHR teaches me that im wrong. :)
  81. Oct 4, 2011
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a prequel to the old "Deus Ex" duology. Set 25 years before the original Deus Ex it is more of a prequel in spirit and overall world development.
    The timespan is huge enough to allow Eidos to do something set in the same world without being tied down by specific ends to the plot, complete with a separate cast of characters and its own focus.
    While the "Human

While the "Human Revolution" might have been an interesting plot to explore, it ultimately falls short in the game. While it is clearly noticeable that the population is uneasy about the technological developments and the dangers of augmentations, only at the end of the game will real riots break out - alongside the path of Adam Jensen.
    You feel like an outsider, kept from the actual events that tear the population apart. While being fed information via emails, ebooks, TVs and other sorts of media, the game fails to involve you into its setting.

Upon hearing that James Swallow, one of the better Black Library authors, is involved, I felt the urge to experience this title.
    The experience I got was unexpectedly forced and seemed awkward. While a lot of the ebooks provided a good read, the story told in the actual game felt shallow, leading you from one job to the next without even realizing its full potential.
    Instead of building up a solid connection to the characters by adding relevant material, you barely get to see them, and what they say is normally so limited, you simply cannot bond with them.

Decisions don't have a real impact on the story either. Whether you choose to help a Quest NPC or not doesn't matter, even if you do, you'll see him once or twice right after the quest, gain your reward and that's that.
    Instead of incorporating these NPCs into later parts of the game, helping you out, they get abandoned asap. Characters Jensen seemingly knows from a past we've never even scratched appear and disappear without leaving marks in our lives, only adding a few credits to our pockets.

One thing I regretted was letting my pilot, Faridah Malik die when we got shot down by Belltower soldiers. A short dramatic dialogue sequence via vox and once I passed that area, Jensen got contacted by Pritchard, who was seemingly shocked for seconds but then told Adam to not act out of revenge.
    When you later find her body in Triad-boss Tong's lair, there is no reaction, no line of regret, sadness, nothing. Abandoned.
    If I had rescued her, she'd have evacuated Megan Reed and her team later on, and disappeared afterwards. No impact.

The end of the actual plot feels artificial, architected and unnatural. Eidos took all of the leading characters and threw them onto Panchea, and left the player with the decision to doom them all.
    Tying loose ends was supposed to work differently, especially when you don't even get a proper epilogue. Abandoned characters once again, Deus Ex Machina.
  82. Aug 26, 2011
    I can't even begin to say how much fun this game is. This would have to be the most fun I've had playing a computer game since Half-Life. I play computer games for fun, and this game absolutely nails it! The only real problem I have with the game is that I spend too much time playing it when I should be sleeping, eating, spending time outside...
  83. Aug 27, 2011
    Playing this game i have the feeling i am playing through a Mass Effect DLC, and not the best one... until i am brought back to reality by its Modern Warfare-like combat and the stealth "routes" available. Those are the main differences between the two games. There is the same dialog system, the same lack of weaponry choice of ME2, the same hub-dungeons mechanic, the token "hacking"Playing this game i have the feeling i am playing through a Mass Effect DLC, and not the best one... until i am brought back to reality by its Modern Warfare-like combat and the stealth "routes" available. Those are the main differences between the two games. There is the same dialog system, the same lack of weaponry choice of ME2, the same hub-dungeons mechanic, the token "hacking" mini-game and even the original augment system works in the same way as Mass Effect's character progression (with exp points granting points to expend in new abilities and powering up old ones), although some modifications provide effects similar to those of Crysis' famous combat suit. I can't help feeling the whole game is a massive sense of deja-vu topped with lack of creativity. Only the concept design and art sometimes go above the average. Even with my settings maxed i found the graphics to be lacking and the backgrounds mostly unappealing, at about the level of the first Mass Effect, if not less. The music score is interesting and it's clear a skilled writer was hired for the occasion, but both fall flat because of the repetitive and unoriginal gameplay. Perhaps after playing through all of the FPS games of the last decade i have grown insensitive to the appeal of the genre, but i still play quite a few of them and the third installment of Deus Ex doesn't provide anything substantially new to the standard. Even though i am a fan of the more rough and unforgiving combat i have no reason to play through Deus Ex: Human Revolution again. Wanting an engrossing story and captivating scenery Mass Effect is by far superior, while Battlefield Bad Company 2 or Modern Warfare 2 go the extra mile in terms of realism, stealth action and weaponry choice. I can hardly contain my disappointment and stupefaction in front of the acclaim a game like this is receiving, but i will give it the rating i believe it deserves: a 7, mostly for its good production value, polished gameplay and cool (although easily guessed) story climax. Le sigh. Expand
  84. Sep 11, 2011
    Its obvious that the autors wanted to bring back the original Deus Ex experience .. and frankly they quite did. There are the same positive and negative sides to this game as they were to the original DE. However, the age is different then it was back in 2000 .. games standards are higher. By these standards, DE:HR fails in many ways .. graphic design is the most noticable failing. ItsIts obvious that the autors wanted to bring back the original Deus Ex experience .. and frankly they quite did. There are the same positive and negative sides to this game as they were to the original DE. However, the age is different then it was back in 2000 .. games standards are higher. By these standards, DE:HR fails in many ways .. graphic design is the most noticable failing. Its made by lazy and uncreative designers. Another downfalls appear in Gameplay elements. I can forgive no facial expressions during dialogues but not the hit-n-miss voic acting. The controls are not PC-friendly so it will take few hours to adapt. Stealth play feels allright .. until you mess something up and have to resort to funs-n-blazing approach. Direct action feels hammered and very boring. The AI is really dumb, nothing challenging at all even on the highest difficulty. Hacking pods everywhere, the mini-game gets repetetive and very easy. Its true that there are many ways you can take to achieve your quests, but without proper augmentation, its immposible to fully se that potencial of paths. Boss fights are simply horrid in every way. The single saving grace of this game is its plot, and the soundtrack is quite solid too. Expand
  85. Aug 30, 2011
    This game is such a revolutionary piece of work. It is just as good as the first Deus Ex. There is so much to do and plenty of angles to approach missions from. This is well worth the money I spent and I will recommend it to anyone!
  86. Aug 31, 2011
    The game it's awesome good story probably the best SE work in the past 5 years i was scared about another failure like dragon age 2 or "sigh" another FF where the name of the game was all the fun but this game is intense good and exciting
  87. Aug 28, 2011
    A clever game and a worthy addition to the franchise. Dx3 is indeed all about choice and this comes through with the level design and the augmentation system working hand in hand. Just little things can be done so many ways through vents, sewers, rooftops. Then throw in a variety of upgradable weapons and you have a game with a very high replay value. Hopefully we see more of it in theA clever game and a worthy addition to the franchise. Dx3 is indeed all about choice and this comes through with the level design and the augmentation system working hand in hand. Just little things can be done so many ways through vents, sewers, rooftops. Then throw in a variety of upgradable weapons and you have a game with a very high replay value. Hopefully we see more of it in the near future. Expand
  88. Aug 29, 2011
    Brilliant! Been waiting for a game like this 4 years and is here. Glad I pre ordered not like fail 2011 games (crysis 2, DA 2, duke nukem etc) The PC version is so smooth and it doesnt feel like console port, square enix games dont dissapoint.
  89. Aug 29, 2011
    As a guy from Montreal, I was waiting for this game to come out...and buy it!....I've played the first Deus Ex when it came out...and really liked it!....This one is really a perfect match between FPS and RPG...It really gives you freedom when it come to choose how you'll handle a situation...One day, I feel like stealthy and stay hidden and another day, I can get in and kill everybody inAs a guy from Montreal, I was waiting for this game to come out...and buy it!....I've played the first Deus Ex when it came out...and really liked it!....This one is really a perfect match between FPS and RPG...It really gives you freedom when it come to choose how you'll handle a situation...One day, I feel like stealthy and stay hidden and another day, I can get in and kill everybody in the room...you have the choice!
    There are no bad ways to pass a level...it only depends on how you want to play it!... The leveling is really kool too...I can spend 10 minutes just to decide where I'll put the really precious point I've just won...even if I feel like I always should upgrade the hacking to get access to all the security stuff....I always have the bad feeling ,when I let something un-hacked behind me, that I'm missing something good!... The graphics are really nice...even with some textures and shadows glitches...as all the shadows are black...the characters always seems to be dirty...but that may fit in that kind of "Blade Runner" universe... The only big issue I've seen so far, is the French voices...as I'm from Montreal, I was happy to put the game in French and hope to have some good voices...and the voices are good...but they're not synchronized with the character...and at some point, you hear the guy speaking and his mouth is not moving...but I can live with that as the game is really fun! Congratulation to the Montreal team that managed to show that they could do a possible GOTY!...

....now I just hope I won't have to wait another 11 years for the next Deus Ex!....
  90. Aug 29, 2011
    It is a very nice and atmospheric game. A lot of detail and depth and it makes you feel like you are there. This is extremely rare in today's 6 hours flashy retarded for 8 year olds simple soo called games. Definitely for people with an attention span lasting longer then 5 seconds. This is not a mindless shooter. This is a Thief / System Shock hybrid living up to those great titles.
  91. Aug 30, 2011
    This game is absolutely outstanding and a refreshing break from all those (IMHO) boring medieval fantasy games or first-person-shooters that are around. While the graphics don't offer high resolution textures or any fancy effects (can't really notice the Tessellation effect, it's very subtle), it still looks good and kinda natural. The facial animations suck. I don't understand why gameThis game is absolutely outstanding and a refreshing break from all those (IMHO) boring medieval fantasy games or first-person-shooters that are around. While the graphics don't offer high resolution textures or any fancy effects (can't really notice the Tessellation effect, it's very subtle), it still looks good and kinda natural. The facial animations suck. I don't understand why game developers still use FaceFX.
    As for the gameplay, if you're a die-hard fan of the first Deus Ex, you're gonna like HR, too. It's very close to the first game and far away from the second one. (Which, we all agree, sucked.)
    I like the story, too. I was always a fan of cyberpunk things and conspiracy themed stories. In between it may seem a little dull, but it's entertaining nonetheless.
    The voice acting is...alright. It's not exceptionally good nor is it bad.

Soo... 9/10, definitely a recommendation.
  92. Oct 17, 2011
    Having finished the game I can say it seems to be a typical modern game. It was far short and the ending is so ambiguous as to make me wonder why you end it that way. Stealth and trying to finish the game without killing people is almost impossible. It was fun but again seems to be lacking in depth
  93. Aug 31, 2011
    This is a solid, mostly polished game that's worth the cover price and the time spent playing it (30 hours for my first run-through, and I'm certain to replay it at least once more). The gameplay is fun and reminiscent of the two previous Deus Ex titles, with several possible approaches to each task or challenge, as promised. However, it has several weak spots that hold it back from beingThis is a solid, mostly polished game that's worth the cover price and the time spent playing it (30 hours for my first run-through, and I'm certain to replay it at least once more). The gameplay is fun and reminiscent of the two previous Deus Ex titles, with several possible approaches to each task or challenge, as promised. However, it has several weak spots that hold it back from being the truly immersive experience I think Eidos was aiming for, disqualify it from an 8 or 9 score, and prevent it from rising to the greatness of other action-oriented RPGs such as Mass Effect, Bioshock or Fallout New Vegas, or character-driven action games like GTA IV. The first is the stiff facial animation, which look much the same as they did in Deus Ex: Invisible War back in 2003. Faces are frozen and unexpressive, and lip movement bears almost no relation to speech, even on a very high-spec PC. The botched facial animation greatly diminishes the otherwise excellent character, weapon and environment rendering, which really shines with DirectX 11 tessellation support. The second flaw is dialog, both as it is written and spoken. As in all story-driven games, the dialog in DE:HR must carry some of the burden of plot exposition, and this will inevitably lead to some stiff-sounding, didactic statements. But this game's dialog is weighted too much on the expository side, at the expense of creating empathy or identification with the characters. NPCs baldly state facts that the main character (Adam Jensen) should already know, and Jensen himself is too much given to bland expository statements. Those lines of dialog designed to show character or develop relationships between characters are filled with action-movie or TV clichés. Other games in futuristic settings, such as the underrated Enslaved, created empathy for characters with far less dialog. Others, such as Bisoshock and Portal 1 & 2, let the environment carry part of the expository burden â Expand
  94. Sep 4, 2011
    Deus Ex : Human Revolution is the best game I've played for many years.
    The story is never boring and you really do have very different and multiple ways to complete each missions.
  95. Nov 28, 2011
    I can't believe all the praise Human Revolution received. The game is very mediocre. There is a bunch of things wrong with it, like unbalanced XP and money system, lack of shops and interesting items/weapons. Some of the augs are plain stupid, like most of the hacking upgrades. The only way you can have fun with this game if you sneak around knocking dumb AI unconscious or shooting themI can't believe all the praise Human Revolution received. The game is very mediocre. There is a bunch of things wrong with it, like unbalanced XP and money system, lack of shops and interesting items/weapons. Some of the augs are plain stupid, like most of the hacking upgrades. The only way you can have fun with this game if you sneak around knocking dumb AI unconscious or shooting them with the tranq gun. Nothing wrong with that, but it becomes very repetitive: sneak through a vent, hack 100 terminals, punch someone facing a wall like a tard, pick up ammo you'll never use, read someone's inbox, turn on a faucet. In fact, the only time the game became creative is when you had to make your way through a room full of lasers. Granted it wasn't the most original or challenging task since they conveniently placed cover all the way through, but at least it was something different. And I'm not even gonna go into boss battles.

If I had to pick the most irritating thing, then it would be the energy system fueled by very limited supply of Snickers bars. Most of the time I spent crawling around with only one energy bar filled, since it's the only one automatically refilled without munching on chocolates. And isn't it fun to knock one guy out and follow the next one around like a puppy waiting on your battery to recharge? There are some redeeming factors, like the character models are pretty cool, the takedown animations, voice acting, and soundtrack. The coolest looking and functioning upgrade is the parachute one with the option to stun nearby enemies upon impact with the ground. But of course I couldn't **** use that if I wanted to be sneaky.

And graphics are consolized **** It's just plain for the exception of Jensen's apartment and Megan's office where you start off.

I did play the game to the end. It's not bad, it's average.
  96. Nov 11, 2011
    Game is decent, nothing more
    Graphics are a bit plain, animations in some cases are really bad, boss fights are silly, replayability is imo none, once i finished it i felt no urge to play it over again, which for a "gdr-like" game is bad
    This game is way worse (considering the ages that passed) than the original ones
  97. Jun 27, 2014
    Wow, what a game. Better plot/story than 95% of sci-fi movies. SCORE 92/100.

Gripping and realistic story to the end, extremely immersive gameplay and RPG progression. MANY different ways to complete each micro and macro objective, from true ghost to stealthy assassin to rambo. The game rewards exploration and different styles well. You will forget many movies and TV shows years from
    Wow, what a game. Better plot/story than 95% of sci-fi movies. SCORE 92/100.

You will forget many movies and TV shows years from now, but you won't forget the story here, especially if much of it becomes true.
  98. Feb 13, 2012
    A slightly worse game than deus ex. Which is one of the best games ever made. It improves a LOT of smaller things, adds a better atmosphere and music, better core mechanics. And a slightly smaller world and a slightly less fantastic story - With a lot of options of approach, but still less than the original.

All of this makes it a 10/10. Just a lesser 10/10 than deus ex. If they manage to improve the options and world, as well as the story in the next game. It might just overtake the original deus ex. They are absolutely on the right path - and the game series is in more capable and promising hands than the original developers. Why? - The original creators also made invisible war. That's why.
  99. Dec 28, 2011
    Let me begin my review with a small advice. Try not to compare Human Revolution to the original Deus Ex too much. Why? Because the more you're going to do it, the less you're going to enjoy it. Human Revolution has some similarities to the original, where original still prevails, but it also has many differences, and it's mostly those differences that make it an outstanding and somewhatLet me begin my review with a small advice. Try not to compare Human Revolution to the original Deus Ex too much. Why? Because the more you're going to do it, the less you're going to enjoy it. Human Revolution has some similarities to the original, where original still prevails, but it also has many differences, and it's mostly those differences that make it an outstanding and somewhat innovative game. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a prequel to the original Deus Ex. It takes place in the year 2027, when human augmentations were still only at their early stages and as a result were subject to a lot of controversy. You play as Adam Jensen, a manager of security at Sarif Industries, one of the leading augmentation tech companies. However, after a surprise attack by secret ops on the facility, Adam was left mortally injured. As a result he got augmented and now 6 months later is ready to uncover the truth behind the attack. The storyline of the game is fairly good, although it is not its strongest point. There are interesting twists and turns along the way of course, and most of the major characters are very well-developed, but I think it's mostly the gameplay that makes this game. Just as with the previous games in the series, DX:HR is about analysing the combat situations and having freedom to approach them in multiple different ways. You can go guns blazing if you wish, or you can sneak in. You can hack to learn the door code, you can utilise your superior social skills, or you can simply find an alternate way in. You get the idea. The augmentation system is slightly different to previous Deus Ex games since you can upgrade them both via special praxis kits AND through gaining experience. The other thing is that if you played through all the side quests and explored, you can by the end of the game pretty much acquire all of the augmentations and enhancements, whilst in the original that was not quite the case. So it's all a matter of prioritising which you wish to get early on and which later. Some new features that really make DX:HR shine that the original didn't have are 1) the takedowns - knock out or kill your target in a special way by coming right up close to him/her; 2) the cover system - instead of just shooting mindlessly, you really need to be taking cover a lot or else you will die too easily; the good thing about it is that the cover system in this game is very flexible and dynamic - you can take cover pretty much behind anything, and you can move between different covers very easily; 3) the hacking mini-game - every time you hack into a computer or a door console, you will have to play a very fun, yet challenging at times, mini-game. DX:HR has a somewhat of unique graphics. The colour palette is mostly in the yellow and golden colours. Personally I am not too fond of it, because I hoped to see some more colour variation in the game, but this "yellowness" is not too bad and you get used to it. The in-game music is very impressive and the voice acting is great too. The dialogues are very well-written and a lot of the time you get to choose what to say, what adds variation and a great degree of role-play, allowing you to mold Jensen's personality into what you want him to be. Finally I'll mention that just as with previous Deus Ex games, you get multiple endings, and those raise some really interesting philosophical issues, which is a sweet way to end a great game. I'll highly advise you to check out each of the endings. Overall a fantastic game. Although in many ways the original is still better, DX:HR offers a lot of new stuff, what makes it a worthy rival to the original game, and overall puts it well above majority of the games out there. Expand
  100. Oct 18, 2011
    It's the best game I have played in years. I couldn't stop playing it...
    I explored as much as I could on my first play-through, it took 39 hours to complete and I loved every minute of it.
    As I was playing, I knew there were a ton of different ways I could approach the objectives and I am really looking forward to playing through the game again, but completely differently. The story is
    It's the best game I have played in years. I couldn't stop playing it...

The story is great, the characters are great, the gameplay is amazing whatever way you choose to play it (and there is plenty of choice).

I actually think it deserves GOTY for being such a breath of fresh air.
  101. Nov 25, 2011
    This review is an excerpt I wrote for my local paper. Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If you know any Greek you would know that the tone is set in the title; "God of Human Revolution." This game is the prequel to the first; Deus Ex. The events take place in the near future when biotic upgrades can be given to improve one's attributes, whether it be physical or mental. The main character AdamThis review is an excerpt I wrote for my local paper. Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If you know any Greek you would know that the tone is set in the title; "God of Human Revolution." This game is the prequel to the first; Deus Ex. The events take place in the near future when biotic upgrades can be given to improve one's attributes, whether it be physical or mental. The main character Adam Jensen, a so called "cyber-punk", is the head of security for the largest corporate contributor of the biotic upgrades, also known as "Augmentations." Adam starts out talking with his ex-girlfriend, Megan, who is the head scientist of the same biotic corporation "Sarif Industries." They plan to release a new found science that would change the face of medical history permanently. After a quick debrief, Adam is notified that an "accident" occurred on one of the research floors. He quickly responds, only to find some highly armed mercenaries had broken into the building. Equipped with strength enhanced augmentations, the mercenaries throw Adam through a wall and some glass, fatally injuring him. His last moments of life are spent seeing the murder of his ex-girlfriend.
    Because Adam was the head of security at Sarif Industries, he was considered a valuable asset and was treated with care in a costly effort to bring him back to life. With the treatment successful Adam was spared his life, but is now roughly 80% augmentation, 20% human. Six months of recovery left him asking questions of the attack, but no one knew any details. The only person recovered was Adam, and no one else experienced the mercenary attack.
    The full game then picks up from there. Now that Adam is mostly made up of augmentations, he is available to upgrade his mechanics. He can only upgrade them slowly over time, however, otherwise what's left of his real body might reject the radical changes in performance. Some upgrades include an invisibility suit upgrade, and another is a sort of Electromagnetic Parachute which slows falls from large heights, reducing any chance of injury.
    The game is spent uncovering the reasons of the mercenary attack, because Adam is led to believe it's purely about augmentation competition, but he feels it goes deeper than that. As the player you are able to make any decisions in conversation to try and get to the bottom of your main quest, as well as many variable side quests which can have impact on the game in future events.
    The game is also set up to fit 3 different playstyles; Stealth, Force, and Adaptation. The amazing thing about the level design is that there's obviously one way in, but if you are determined enough you can find up to 4 different routes to your objective. There's the front door, back door, window, or air ducts to explore, and each option provides different challenges including: hacking, stealth assassinations, diversions, pure unadulterated stealth, or simply guns blazing.
    In the end, there is a crystal clear ultimate goal which until the final boss fight is as murky as an oil spilled mud puddle. It keeps you going to the end, and once you're there you have ultimately 4 history altering options to chose from. Ultimately, you are the god of human revolution.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 30, 2011
    There are only a few games this year we suggest to 16-yrs old gamers and their fathers together. Human Revolution for sure is a Game of the Year nominee. [Oct 2011]
    So despite the odds being stacked against it, Eidos Montreal accomplished the impossible and brought us a Deus Ex in the true sense of the word, probably the best one that we could have hoped for considering the current "requirements" for being commercially successful nowadays.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 10, 2011
    A worthy successor to one of the greatest games ever. It offers a lot of choice on many levels and feels like an RPG from years past - in a very good way. One of the best, if not the best game of 2011. [Oct 2011]