8.5

1. Dec 1, 2012
    Awesome game to begin with particularly for those who like a perfect blend of stealth and shooting (more emphasis on stealth actually). The game takes time to pick up the pace but once it does, it's a complete amusement. With the awesome conspiracy story which keeps changing it's course, innovative way-finding gameplay and an awesome character Adam Jensen, this game really makes youAwesome game to begin with particularly for those who like a perfect blend of stealth and shooting (more emphasis on stealth actually). The game takes time to pick up the pace but once it does, it's a complete amusement. With the awesome conspiracy story which keeps changing it's course, innovative way-finding gameplay and an awesome character Adam Jensen, this game really makes you absorbed in its own world.
    The only flaw is the boss battle because they are total hardcore action but Jensen can't keep up with any boss practically and because the game is mainly stealth oriented, it pisses you off sometimes.
    In a nutshell, it's a great game with awesome story line and innovative gameplay mechanics. I would rate it #2 in my list of Best Games of 2011 after Witcher 2.
  2. Sep 24, 2012
    I haven't played the previous Deus Exs, but no way this game can disappoint decent gamers. As promised, it offers some way to get the job done, but what really got me impressed was that all those ways were actually good and fun. Cover/ no cover based gunfights are more than decent, offer many weapons, options, and challanging AI (It has flaws, but generally fine) and can be mixed with theI haven't played the previous Deus Exs, but no way this game can disappoint decent gamers. As promised, it offers some way to get the job done, but what really got me impressed was that all those ways were actually good and fun. Cover/ no cover based gunfights are more than decent, offer many weapons, options, and challanging AI (It has flaws, but generally fine) and can be mixed with the stealth system. Stealth is also very good, and the its expiriment is changed depending on the upgrades you take (Invisibility, silent walk/run/ sprint, visual sound, etc...). The hacking system does the job excellently, offering challanging, but not to repeating gameplay, and is bested because it is done in real game time, so you can't hack computer in the second the guard don't look like in splinter cell and such. But the newest possibility in my opinion was the presuading system, DEFINATELY the best conversation-gamplay I've ever seen in the game. I don't know how they made the fully sounded conversation for any conversation course I've choosen, but It felt very real, and was also very challanging. The only game I know that can even be compared to Deus Ex in that field was LA-noire, and in my opinion was way worser. Plus, The result of the conversation in this game actually does matter, sometimes making your life easier, sometimes giving you additional background information, but also can sometimes be better off because you can convince people to harm themself helping you while you can actually do it without their help. I advice anyone to save some money for the next steam sale, Definately worth the money. Expand
  3. Dec 29, 2013
    Truly a worthy adversary towards other futuristic themed video games. Deus Ex Human Revolution is a fine example of a well thought out game that takes advantage of the player's intelligence to pass through levels. The story is incredible immersive and complete with full dialogue for the full experience. Players are able to make decisions that will impact the environment while progressingTruly a worthy adversary towards other futuristic themed video games. Deus Ex Human Revolution is a fine example of a well thought out game that takes advantage of the player's intelligence to pass through levels. The story is incredible immersive and complete with full dialogue for the full experience. Players are able to make decisions that will impact the environment while progressing through the story. A fine example of an incredible game that will last for decades. Expand
  4. Apr 19, 2012
    My favorite game this year after ME3, it really goes to the roots of deus ex 1, the second game was a joke everyone knows that. This one has its own cyber punk style design which gives you the feel like beeing in a blade runner movie. So much posibilities, the only bad side is that boss fights always go same way even if you are not an soldier or use only powers you have to kill bosses theMy favorite game this year after ME3, it really goes to the roots of deus ex 1, the second game was a joke everyone knows that. This one has its own cyber punk style design which gives you the feel like beeing in a blade runner movie. So much posibilities, the only bad side is that boss fights always go same way even if you are not an soldier or use only powers you have to kill bosses the same way as a soldier which is a bit to bad. But still it doesnt ruin the game. Expand
  5. Aug 12, 2013
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a ton of potential, but ultimately falls flat in too many areas to warrant a recommendation. I've never played previous Deus Ex games, so I'm reacting to this one purely on its own merits. I did a full playthrough, completing the main story and most of the side quests in about 19 hours.

The qualities that kept me engaged for that much time were the

The qualities that kept me engaged for that much time were the impeccably designed world and the extremely engaging atmosphere. The Blade Runner-esque setting is appealing and visually striking. I was slightly put off by the extreme orangeness of everything, but eventually that just became part of the world and I stopped paying it much attention. It's a credit to the artists and the sound design team (and of course the composer) that Deus Ex provides such a compelling experience. In fact, it's solely because of their brilliant work that the game is worth playing. There are a lot of major flaws in other areas that almost, but not quite, ruin everything.

Foremost among these problems are the combat mechanics. Deus Ex is not a good first person shooter, even though the designers give you the freedom to run and gun to your heart's content. A couple of huge issues kept me frustrated throughout. First, many of the enemies you encounter are complete and utter bullet sponges. "Heavies" appear to be wearing nothing but a Kevlar vest and a helmet, yet they can absorb hundreds of point blank rounds from a Gatling gun. At the same time, they can take you down with about 2 seconds worth of gunfire. You, the augmented super soldier with an invisibility cloak and retractable forearm sword blades. It just doesn't make sense and it's not fun at all.

After repeated failed attempts at any given battle, I often resorted to hand to hand stealth-based combat. This tends to work quite well, but the very fact that it does ruins the combat experience even more. The heavy that gave me so many problems with my Gatling gun could be taken down with a single tap of the Q key, resulting in an arm lock and a punch to the jaw. What a joke.

You'll still run into constant frustration even if you adopt a 100% stealth-based strategy. One highly amusing encounter I had involved sneaking up to two Chinese gangsters. For some reason they didn't notice me crouching literally a foot away, so I triumphantly hit Q, expecting a satisfying double takedown. Instead, my battery meter beeped, indicating that I didn't have enough power to execute the move. This made me literally laugh out loud, imagining the absurdity of the scenario if it played out in real life.

Adam: "I have remained undetected! Wait for it. Wait for it. NOW!"
    *beeeeeeeeeeep*
    Gangsters: "What was that sound? Hey, who's that guy crouching over there?"

Thankfully, the game isn't real life, so I just chowed down an energy bar and successfully smashed the bad guys heads together a moment later. I don't know who on the design team decided that a genetically enhanced super soldier should run on a few AA batteries, but they should probably look for another line of work.

Moving on. The boss battles in Deus Ex have been much maligned, and I can mostly see why. They did provide a somewhat welcome injection of strategy into the combat system, but in the end all of them could be resolved with a few grenade launcher blasts. I found that trying a more finesse-based approach of dodging and shotgunning led to pretty much instant death, and I never had the patience to hone my skills when the brute force path provided such an immediate solution.

Second only to the combat mechanics in terms of immersion-breaking were the awful cutscenes. The character models are terribly low quality and the lip-syncing is very poor. I really felt like I was watching 2000-era technology at work here. Almost any recent game that I can think of provides a better experience in this department. That being said, the voice acting is generally excellent, although our main guy's prolonged "I'm Batman" impression occasionally became tiresome.

Last but not least, I found the city hubs to be fairly generic. There is very little difference in the game between Detroit, China and Montreal (although I did get a kick out of the "futurized" Montreal skyline). I would have liked to see different colors, more vegetation, different types of people, etc. Anything, really, to differentiate the various locales and make them seem more special and exotic.

To sum up: I had really mixed feelings about Deus Ex. The fictional world is so well realized that it makes it possible to overlook a lot of problems. But, there are a LOT of problems. In the end, I just didn't enjoy myself that much and I can't see myself ever going back to play again. There just isn't enough variety in the gameplay or plot to keep me interested. It's too bad, because I'd genuinely love to spend more time in the Deus Ex universe. Maybe the next game in the series will provide a more complete and satisfying experience
  6. Aug 28, 2017
    Really hard choice of GOTY 2011 between this and Skyrim. An excellent immersive sim, a worthy sequel to the original Deus Ex. Ignore the haters, this game is very good. Why this is so underrated on metacritic i will never understand.
  7. May 9, 2017
    (Single player only review)
    Story: 9
    Gameplay: 6
    Characters: 7
    World: 10
    Graphics: 7
    Optimization: 4
    Value: Worth the original price ($60)
    Art direction: 8
    Enjoyment: 7
    Overall: 8
  8. Sep 9, 2011
    So I guess the bottom line question is "should I but this game"? I would say yes, and that it is also worth $49.99. Do I think this game is the best Deus Ex game out of the 3? Yes. Do I think this game stands on its own merits? Yes. Do I feel that the game is a true PC game and not a port? Yes, the game is spectacular for PC. Am I happy I bought the game? Yes, I would pay top-dollarSo I guess the bottom line question is "should I but this game"? I would say yes, and that it is also worth $49.99. Do I think this game is the best Deus Ex game out of the 3? Yes. Do I think this game stands on its own merits? Yes. Do I feel that the game is a true PC game and not a port? Yes, the game is spectacular for PC. Am I happy I bought the game? Yes, I would pay top-dollar again.

Having downloaded the game through Steam 12 hours ago (and playing it since), I can confirm that the game has a polished release. The PC version feels like a true PC game and not a port from a console.
    The game uses PC resources fairly well in fact; with practically no load times in open-world areas and brief loads times for others. Loading a game save is similarly brief while saving occurs almost instantly. Usually, in parts of the game where you are likely to die, the game will autosave for you in case you fail. A nice addition to the auto-save feature is that the game keeps the previous autosave just in case you want to re-do a game choice (which admit to using several times thus far since some choices did affect game story quite a bit). The visuals are appropriate for PC- with high definition graphics plus appropriate options depending on your PC build and monitor- even though the game will choose the best balance for your system by default. They even had the correct resolution for my 720p HD TV that I use as a PC monitor (1216x684), which is always a hit and miss thing for new games.

One thing that really stood out about this game was the voice acting and character models. NPC city dwellers all differ in appearance with even a majority of enemy NPC's having different hairstyles and facial details. I also like the voice acting overall- for a game that has so much voice acting in general you would expect as such. IMO, the voice acting is well above average and the cinematic sequences are extremely entertaining to watch and add to the story.

A fun gameplay element from the 1st Deus Ex makes a return in this game, which is the illicit snooping of emails and the hacking of computer consoles. Some computers are errantly unlocked, giving immediate access to emails, whereas others require passwords or hacking to glean gossip or useful intel. I found the amount of comms like this were on par with the 1st Deus Ex. A nice touch was the addition newspapers (which are electronic news clips of sorts) that reflect your in-game actions. These small touches add authenticity and help show that your actions have consequences. It also appears that if you kill somebody in game (and there are quite a few friendly and enemy NPC's in general) they absolutely will not come back to life just b/c you leave the area and come back later. In fact, you can kill the side-quest giving NPC's which is a drastic test of realism, but entirely possible if you play that way.

Story and plot-wise the game stands on it's own while still adhering to the timeline of the Deus Ex game since It is apparently a prequel to the Deus Ex series. Having played the first Deus Ex myself I couldn't find any inconsistencies in the game lore. In fact, I did recognize familiar names and even familiar voices from the first Deus Ex that are present in Human Revolution.
  9. Dec 13, 2015
    This wasn't the successor we wanted. It's not a bad game, but it's not a substantial step-up from the first Deus-Ex. The graphics are substantially better, obvsly. But the game world is basically the same size. You'll go to Hong Kong, for example, and there's not substantially more to explore than there was in the first DX. The game just wasn't that big, basically. It's not an open worldThis wasn't the successor we wanted. It's not a bad game, but it's not a substantial step-up from the first Deus-Ex. The graphics are substantially better, obvsly. But the game world is basically the same size. You'll go to Hong Kong, for example, and there's not substantially more to explore than there was in the first DX. The game just wasn't that big, basically. It's not an open world game, which is fine. But when I'm lead by the nose from location to location, I want to at least feel mildly overwhelmed by the expanse laying before me. In DX:HR, I felt more like I just entered a COD stage.

The augmentation system is alright, I guess. It's been a while since I played this game, so I don't recall exactly how I felt about that at the time. All I know is that it didn't stand out in my mind as either good or bad. I guess I was pretty apathetic towards it.

I'll give the game credit for the strategy aspect - it really did present you with multiple opportunities to negotiate any given obstacle. If you were good at hacking, for example, you could alter the turrets/robots to attack your foes. Or maybe stealth was your bag, and you opted to shimmy past all the bad guys. Or maybe you just straight-up went in guns-blazing. Whatever the case, you really could contour the game to suit your play style.

The absolute worse aspect of the game, however, was the boss battles. There were a few of these thrown into the mix, and they srsly detracted from the experience. For one thing, they were extremely difficult. Also, if you didn't possess the necessary resources to overcome your foe, then you were pretty much out of luck. Basically, you had to download a third party mod that allowed you to cheat your way through the encounter. Pretty lame, tbh.
  10. Jan 19, 2012
    the gameplay is a great game allowing you to beat a level however you want, hack your way, stealth, killing, you choose, my only problems are the bosses as they require lots of ammo and are overpowering, but luckily bosses do not apear that often so it is not that bad.
  11. Dec 6, 2011
    Ever game has a color about it. Saints row is purple, Brink is light blue, Deus Ex is yellow. Also its a very unique shooter greatly using cover, stealth, hacking, and overall strategy. Or you can set it to easy mode and just play it like a more standard game which I ended up doing, cuz I was really bad at it lol 8/10
  12. Dec 3, 2011
    It was never going to be the sequel anyone wanted, but Human Revolution is a fine game. More ambitious than most "Triple A" titles dare to even dream of being, with a well-realised aesthetic and building reasonably well on a strong pre-existing setting. The game is only really let down by the awkward character movements during dialogue and boss fights that feel like they'd fit right into aIt was never going to be the sequel anyone wanted, but Human Revolution is a fine game. More ambitious than most "Triple A" titles dare to even dream of being, with a well-realised aesthetic and building reasonably well on a strong pre-existing setting. The game is only really let down by the awkward character movements during dialogue and boss fights that feel like they'd fit right into a PS2 game from 2003. Expand
  13. May 20, 2013
    I started playing with the highest expectations but my enthusiasm quickly wore out. Plot and game mechanics looked really intriguing but somehow I never felt engrossed.
    A) plain, flat, naked ambientations
    B) awkward and unintuitive commands C) slow and boring roaming within the city, with all its blind alleys D) "hacking" is just a guess game based on luck I just could not stand all
    A) plain, flat, naked ambientations
    B) awkward and unintuitive commands
    C) slow and boring roaming within the city, with all its blind alleys
    D) "hacking" is just a guess game based on luck
    I just could not stand all that stuff; maybe I'll try again in the future, in a distant future.
  14. Jul 20, 2013
    This is one of the less inmersive games I have played, the dialog is dullm boring and predictable, it doesnt feel real at all it feels like if you are playing a game,the action is quite boring,you just dont care about the characters,the main character is a tough guy with a raspy voice (how original),the upgrades are boring. I dont understand the hype behind this game there are much betterThis is one of the less inmersive games I have played, the dialog is dullm boring and predictable, it doesnt feel real at all it feels like if you are playing a game,the action is quite boring,you just dont care about the characters,the main character is a tough guy with a raspy voice (how original),the upgrades are boring. I dont understand the hype behind this game there are much better games out there, I bougth this at 85% discount and I regret it. Expand
  15. May 25, 2013
    This game is a spectacle. On PC, the only visuals that I believe come close are that of Metro: Last Light or Bioshock Infinite (that might not be fair given the limits my PC puts on extreme level graphics). The levels look mostly the same, but considering it is set it one industrial area most of the time that isn't really a problem. However, graphics don't make a game. Game play does. TheThis game is a spectacle. On PC, the only visuals that I believe come close are that of Metro: Last Light or Bioshock Infinite (that might not be fair given the limits my PC puts on extreme level graphics). The levels look mostly the same, but considering it is set it one industrial area most of the time that isn't really a problem. However, graphics don't make a game. Game play does. The shooting is great, but you will find that on many games. The stealth is what makes the game. Sneaking around happens in other games, but in this one the AI reacts much more realistically so you can't stealth kill entire armies. Stealth kills do happen, but when they do you have to hide the body, and even then somebody is bound to hear. Once the first blow is struck, the fun begins. Hide behind boxes, crates, moveable items, in vents, turn invisible, dodge security camera beams, hack security cameras, hack sentry turrets and robots, see through walls, tranquilize your targets, grab hostages, punch and shoot people through walls, or just take the normal approach and shoot everything. Even though this is a linear game, there are no limits to what you can do to complete (or don't) your objectives. Expand
  16. Sep 10, 2014
    Deus ex human revolution had me grinning ear to ear the whole way through. I loved the feeling of being a badass but at the same time while I was a killer cyborg with many different toys I still felt like a normal man who can be taken down by someone with a gun or a pack of punks. This is my favorite stealth game of all time. While I did not like the way that taking the good guy route wasDeus ex human revolution had me grinning ear to ear the whole way through. I loved the feeling of being a badass but at the same time while I was a killer cyborg with many different toys I still felt like a normal man who can be taken down by someone with a gun or a pack of punks. This is my favorite stealth game of all time. While I did not like the way that taking the good guy route was actually easier as I felt that being evil in various situations such as killing guys with my blades would be faster and easier. But it punished me if I did whip my blades out and it is much faster just to tap on a guys shoulder and deck him in the face rather than bringing out my cyberware. Overall amazing game and is a must buy for RPGs fans and stealth fans alike. Expand
  17. Oct 5, 2014
    People ask me why I hate paying for games. This game is why.

This game is an endless source of frustration. Spend minutes scoping out the guards and lining up perfect shots and what do you get? A bullet hole in the cover instead of a dead or knocked out guard. This ridiculously serious design flaw makes the game unplayable. The fact that this game is getting good reviews shows just
    People ask me why I hate paying for games. This game is why.

This ridiculously serious design flaw makes the game unplayable. The fact that this game is getting good reviews shows just how stupid the average gamer is, not proof that it is a good game.
  18. Jan 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just finished DE: Human Revolution with mixed feelings. I wanted to like this game, but most of the time I didn't enjoy it very much. I bought this game because of the interesting plot of the previous 2 Deus Ex games. I have to say I am not totally satisfied. First of all, it is very easy to guess what is going on and what is going to happen. This spoiled some of the fun and motivation. Secondly, what comes to freedom of choice, Human Revolution is like DE1: you really have only one. You can choose a playing style that suits you, but you can't affect the course of your character very much. Only in the end you can really choose.

So here comes the number one flaw: there are many missions where you sneak past 30 enemies to meet a big bad boss, just to notice that he/she has moved elsewhere already, or even worse, escapes with a cutscene!! How bad can a game designer be, to make cutscene escapes?

Number two flaw: you can't choose who you work for! I wanted to get rid of that greedy bastard Sarif and his **** Megan right away, but I couldn't!! Pisses me off. DE2 made this really well, but now this system was removed, why?

The game without the plot was rather ok, but kinda repetitive. Sneak/shoot, hack, go thru vents. Repeat 50 times. In short: interesting plot, but not as interesting as in DE1. More limited plot and freedom of choice than in DE2. Basically the same game as DE1, with improved graphics and Metal Gear Solid sneaking.
  19. Sep 2, 2011
    bad game. dull level design. mediocre storyline. bad 3rd person behaviour when using cover (which is very important in this game). No multiplayer, bad FMV, bad controlls. bad bad bad. Don't buy.
  20. Aug 28, 2011
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution has been a much needed breath of fresh air for PC games. The story is deep and surprisingly persistently dark. The gameplay is fun, yet challenging. Exploration actually pays off, in more ways than one. I have seen comparisons to Mass Effect 2 from other users, and while the resemblance is visually unavoidable, it in truth feels much more like Splinter Cell orDeus Ex: Human Revolution has been a much needed breath of fresh air for PC games. The story is deep and surprisingly persistently dark. The gameplay is fun, yet challenging. Exploration actually pays off, in more ways than one. I have seen comparisons to Mass Effect 2 from other users, and while the resemblance is visually unavoidable, it in truth feels much more like Splinter Cell or Metal Gear: Solid. Human Revolution is not correctly classified as a First Person Shooter. It is a Stealth Shooter. There is the important difference of not being an invincible tank-man who can soak up 30 rifle bullets, duck behind cover for a few seconds and magically recover from his wounds. Combat is incredibly lethal and even with armor upgrades, you will not be able to take on an entire enemy squad by frontal assault. While the game does make use of the "standard" regenerating health, it only comes in to effective play after combat has ended. If you are a player who can see no solution beyond straightforward run and gun tactics, Human Revolution will be a disappointment for you. Human Revolution is the culmination of what the first two games -should- have been. A solid stealth system, excellent weapon customization, good character customization, great story. It took all that was good from both games, (Yes; Invisible War had good features!) and combined them to create what I believe is a game that is superior to even the original. It loses points however, on unfortunate linearity and lack of true choices. Most of the choices in the game are simply whether or not you want to do this side quest. It certainly suffers from a lack of replayability, garnering it a 9 out of 10. Expand
  21. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This isn't a perfect game, but it's a 10 to me. The feel of the world, the visuals, the story.. it all works so well. The gameplay is fun, and it gives you several options on how to do most things. A minor niggle here, would be that you get more xp for using non-lethal measures, but as that is how I prefer to play anyway, I just love it. The story and the levels are great throughout, except for a bit of a sloppy final act. The whole thing with the "zombies" on Panchaea, and the somewhat lackluster endings. These are minor issues though, as far as I'm concerned. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and I really hope there will be a sequel, either to this game or to one of the earlier ones.

Not a perfect game, but an amazing one! 10/10!
  22. Apr 26, 2012
    this was a really great game if i take it as a whole, but as someone said earlier, it kinda gets a little bit boring becouse of the same content all the time (hacking, "Q to the face!" and crawling in shafts, but overall, i enjoyed it so thats why it owns a spot on my best games of the year
  23. Apr 5, 2013
    The gameplay itself is very good but you have to like stealth games if you play this like a shooter you will probably get frustrated The story was ok but to obvious for me. the ending was a bit dissapointing you wont see any of the characters in the last cutscene, you dont know how it continues. i can recommend it to everyone
  24. Oct 16, 2012
    Lo Bueno:Daré mis impresiones sobre este juego: Atrapante, Genial!. Las Horas pasan muy rápido con este bien logrado juego. Admito que me lo compré sin saber nada de él, pero que ha sido una sorpresa y un agrado jugarlo.
    Si esperas un shooter puro este juego no va con ese tinte. Mezclado con estrategia, rol, acción y el famoso pero para mí, poco experimentado mundo de los juegos con "Stealth Mode".
    La jugabilidad del juego es lo que más atrapa, la estética es muy buena también y el sistema de pirateo es complejo y a la vez muy entretenido.
    Lo Malo: No sé porqué pero mi juego sufre "crashes" sin ningún motivo aparente, a veces muy seguidos y otras veces puedo estar mucho rato sin experimentar uno. Al menos se puede guardar en cualquier momento ,pero solo por eso no le doy un 10.
  25. Jan 30, 2013
    This was my first Deus Ex -game and it was very positive surprise =) I like this really, lot of exploring can be done, athmosphere is great and augmentations just add the value. Graphics are great, gameplay is like a movie. Feels really that can be chosen how to play: just customize your character as you like and choose how you deal situations.
  26. Nov 26, 2012
    Only just picked this up now since I built a new rig. Good game with decent graphics and sound. The best part is the addictive gameplay imho. Graphically the models fall short of the quality you find in Mass Effect 3 for example but they are convincing and quite good non-the-less. The game is going for peanuts now on any platforms I've noticed - absolutely worth picking up imo.
  27. Jan 24, 2012
    A great game which does the original justice. The plot is relatively strong, although could be stronger. The gunplay and stealth 'feel' like you would want them to. The hardest difficulty is balanced perfectly. The graphics can simply be described as 'acceptable' - they don't detract from the gameplay, but you can't help at times but to wish it was running on a better engine; and there areA great game which does the original justice. The plot is relatively strong, although could be stronger. The gunplay and stealth 'feel' like you would want them to. The hardest difficulty is balanced perfectly. The graphics can simply be described as 'acceptable' - they don't detract from the gameplay, but you can't help at times but to wish it was running on a better engine; and there are negatives - The decision system is used rarely, and when it is, it feels like your choices make little impact - then when it comes to making the 'end game choice', you don't get to see how it plays out, you don't even get a cutscene. The praxis system make it too easy to level everything if you save all your cash and just buy praxis points, and your choices in how to specialise don't really feel like they have a huge impact on how you will end up playing the game. Would have also been nice to have more side missions available to you rather than the handful there are, with only a couple of those feeling relevant. Normally I have a lot to write, but in this instance I don't - It's a good game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Expand
  28. Zri
    Dec 30, 2011
    Although the story progression bears some significant similarity to the original, Human Revolution is pretty awesome. The environment is superb, especially considering the limiting size brought on by console versions of games in recent times, the voice acting and models were by and large excellent, and the length of the game was very satisfying. More importantly, this *felt* like a Deus ExAlthough the story progression bears some significant similarity to the original, Human Revolution is pretty awesome. The environment is superb, especially considering the limiting size brought on by console versions of games in recent times, the voice acting and models were by and large excellent, and the length of the game was very satisfying. More importantly, this *felt* like a Deus Ex game.

Where Human Revolution really shines however is the flavour items. The little bits of peoples' lives you get through reading their email, overhearing their conversations, and reading ebooks and news items scattered around the place. While many other games have these elements in them, they have often either go over the top in terms of length and typically suffer from poor writing and formatting, making them a chore to read. Human Revolution's tend to be short, to the point, and entertaining. They make it worth breaking into someone's apartment to read their email, and thus exploring is fun, and not just a way to get more gear or experience (although you will gain both).

It's rare to find a game that strikes a good balance between sneaking and combat, but HR does a very good job of both (although the alarm system is a bit unrealistic in how quickly things get back to normal after you disappear, but that's a sacrifice on the altar of fun). Taking a leaf from Splinter Cell and requiring you to hide bodies if you want to stay stealthy is a lot of fun, even if the dragging animation isn't as good as Sam's fireman's lift; being able to stash bodies in ventilation ducts makes up for it.

Overall:
    Graphics: Excellent
    Voice/Music/Sounds: Excellent
    Immersiveness: Fantastic
    Buy it.
  29. Oct 3, 2011
    I'm going to debunk the old deus ex pc fans by saying that a lot of what they are saying is simple nostalgia. You have to remember the old deus ex as a game where the only way to disable someone was to hit them over the back of the head with a pole or stun them. You could not get into a firefight most of the time without ramping up your heavy weapon skills and the tranq bow was an absoluteI'm going to debunk the old deus ex pc fans by saying that a lot of what they are saying is simple nostalgia. You have to remember the old deus ex as a game where the only way to disable someone was to hit them over the back of the head with a pole or stun them. You could not get into a firefight most of the time without ramping up your heavy weapon skills and the tranq bow was an absolute joke. (Remember? You shoot them and then they run around for five minutes until they collapse?) Each mission was the same thing, shoot (or stun) xyb then talk to xyb and then collect or disable something. The levels looked like something a prison inmate would design (I remember the "fort" being a large square with holes in it). They did a brilliant job bringing Deus Ex to life again. Seriously, compare the two and see for yourself. I have three gripes with the game, 1: The atrocious boss fights. 2: The melee system running on little bars of energy(you can't cloak and then disable the enemy without eating an energy bar lol). 3: the enemy has incredible aim and can even hit you behind cover most of the time. WTF Eidos?! Those boss fights will deter any chance you had of getting a majority to enjoy this game till the end. Expand
  30. Aug 23, 2011
    My review is not enthusiastic and this new Deus Ex chapter really disappointed me in more than one point: dated graphics, stiff animations, very buggy AI, not a sandbox as the previous Deus Ex, ridiculous boss fights, very bad physics in objects and bodies...that's a shame for a game that could have been pretty much better :-(
  31. Nov 24, 2011
    This game is amazing, finally deus ex has returned. Conspiracy stories, great voice acting, cool gadgets and skill/dialogue trees, the perfect blend of action in RPG. The biggest highlight of the game is the take on the situation your own way, there are multiple ways to complete an objective, many times have I replayed and discovered other minor secrets in the environment or winning socialThis game is amazing, finally deus ex has returned. Conspiracy stories, great voice acting, cool gadgets and skill/dialogue trees, the perfect blend of action in RPG. The biggest highlight of the game is the take on the situation your own way, there are multiple ways to complete an objective, many times have I replayed and discovered other minor secrets in the environment or winning social battles with character or hacking something that would allow me to be able to complete objectives differently. The only downside is they do tend to offer more xp for stealth methods implying stealth is the way the game was meant to be played, but still you can be powerful/tactful enough to go all guns a blazing as well. Also since you can kill almost anyone (except certain key story characters) it's fun to load up and go bannas on people, hide them in rooms and doors, killsprees and reload. With that deus definitely does feel more consolfied, the facial animations are kinda spotty for npc the background sometime low quality. Yeah I wish it was more PC optimized and maybe bigger areas to explore, but still the game is big enough for the story and side mission and variety in options to tackle missions, that what it does have it does it right. Another great thing is the cover system how it switches to 3rd person is done really well. Job well done eidos montreal, I hope with this game it's the start of more good deus ex/sci fi games in the future. Beside this mass effect and borderland there isn't too much scifi wrpgs out there, I'm tired of high fantasy. Speaking of fantasy this game has tons of easter eggs a la metal gear solid style and one of my favs is there is a poster for Final Fantasy XXVII(27). lol. So keep an eye out. Expand
  32. Sep 9, 2011
    Let us get the obvious out of the way: This is a fabulous game. But it has it's flaws. This game could use some better tutorials... It can be amazingly beautiful and stylized at most of the time... but then there are those strange moments were it suddenly becomes very ugly. Character animations are great, while facial animations are not. But this is all just unimportant because theLet us get the obvious out of the way: This is a fabulous game. But it has it's flaws. This game could use some better tutorials... It can be amazingly beautiful and stylized at most of the time... but then there are those strange moments were it suddenly becomes very ugly. Character animations are great, while facial animations are not. But this is all just unimportant because the atmosphere in this game is so dense, so immersive that you fall in love... not on first sight, but after 4 to 8 hour you WILL love it. The augmentations are great, the stealth is better than in any recent stealth game... the rpg elements are richer than in Mass Effect 2 but slightly poorer than in The Witcher 2 for example. If you hope for this to be a trulty RPG, do not get your hopes up... there are 2 major city-hubs you can explore... but more than half of the game you will spent on missions.
    There are side-quests... BUT they are mostly so connected to the main-story that I would not even call them side missions...
    In the end it is NOT a perfect game... it is a fabulous stealth-action game with great rpg elements, a top-notch story, mostly beautiful visuals and sound. I urge everyone to play this game. It is not GOTY in my opinion, but it is a ride worth taken.
  33. Oct 18, 2011
    A good and worthy follow-up of Deus Ex, though the graphics are console level. The world is great, intriguing, funny and generelly well laid out. The only major let-down is, that this game over-emphasises hacking. W/o hacking, you are missing on a lot of the content.
    Basically, this is one of the better console ports. Deus Ex could have deserved better (a real PC game), but all in all, this one works fine. It was definitely a good decision to delay shipment of the game to fix it after the first bad reviews came in.
  34. Sep 10, 2012
    This is a very decent game, with a great plot, nice atmosphere, way closer to the first Deus Ex than Invisible war was; and it's probably one of the best console ports I've ever seen so far. So why only 6 ?

Because THIS particular game has been awaited soooo long by most gamers that a lame *CONSOLE* *PORT* just doesn't fit. If you're discovering Deus Ex with this title, it must be fun and pleasing, but when you've enjoyed the first Deus Ex several times, to see it taken to this level of coarseness only for profit, it's just sad and frustrating. I might be a little harsh, but really, I expected more from this game. Way more. Now, let's hope some independent developer will bring some decent alternative to this title; since the gaming industry seems to care too less about quality and too much about profit.
  35. Aug 27, 2011
    The only thing I have to complain about is the Boss Fights which are not hard but complicated in how boss fights are usually rendered with the boss fighting with a pattern of attack or something. other than that the game rocks my favorite part is the customization of Jensen, I see much replay value in my future!
  36. Mar 18, 2012
    This is a fantastic game! I was a fan of the original, but not a fan of Deus Ex 2. And I have to admit, I was really impressed with this game! The graphics aren't brilliant, but the atmosphere and environment are. This game brings back Cyberpunk, with street gangs, robots and cool tech. The sound effects and music makes this game feel like you 're in the Bladerunner movie. The mainThis is a fantastic game! I was a fan of the original, but not a fan of Deus Ex 2. And I have to admit, I was really impressed with this game! The graphics aren't brilliant, but the atmosphere and environment are. This game brings back Cyberpunk, with street gangs, robots and cool tech. The sound effects and music makes this game feel like you 're in the Bladerunner movie. The main character is really cool and calm, but you can play as a good guy or a bad ass depending on how the player completes the guests. This game stays true to the original Deus Ex, but there are a couple things which tarnish this game on PC . For example, you are limited to activating only 4 augments at a time which is the same on console. Why couldn't it be more like on the the origin? Also, there is recovering HP and recharging Energy, which makes the player feel almost invincible. This makes playing the game not as challenging the second time around which is a shame because I was expecting Hard mode to be Hardcore! Another thing that disgruntled me was the terrible boss battles which were poorly designed. But overall this game is recommend to anyone who loves Cyberpunk RPG or FPS games! Expand
  37. Aug 16, 2014
    what can i say, another average game milking prior success. don't bother playing unless your a fan of mediocrity. I do not know how this game has so many good reviews.
  38. Jul 12, 2014
    The whole "you can choose not to be lethal thing," let's just call it what it is. It's the developers being too lazy to come up with convincing bad guys with convincing motivation that the player will actually want to shoot. So instead it tries to guilt-trip you for killing a virtual video game person, and tries to use that guilt to convince you that you owe it something, and thus shouldThe whole "you can choose not to be lethal thing," let's just call it what it is. It's the developers being too lazy to come up with convincing bad guys with convincing motivation that the player will actually want to shoot. So instead it tries to guilt-trip you for killing a virtual video game person, and tries to use that guilt to convince you that you owe it something, and thus should keep playing and give it a good review. That's prettymuch the entire game

The persuasion sequences, while I'm a fan of them in theory, I didn't like their implementation in this game. The characters all act like whiny teenage drama queens and bear no resemblance to real people.

Overall, a game shouldn't try to make up for being mediocre by being smooth and easy to play. I don't like games because they're smooth and easy to get through, I like them because they're fun and interesting. When a game is genuinely fun and interesting, it doesn't have to be all that smooth and user-friendly just to get you to continue playing. That shouldn't be your main motivation or even your secondary or tertiary motivation, and it's certainly nothing for a game to be proud of. The meat is in the content, and Deus Ex is lacking
  39. Nov 16, 2015
    The world this game is in is lush and beautiful, Believable near future setting. The presentation in general is very very nice, Jensen's executions have special mention.

Two big issues however: Firstly the AI in it is utterly moronic, they can just be lured out and shot. Stacks of bodies and they keep throwing themselves blind around corners for you to kill them. Secondly Adam

Two big issues however:

Secondly Adam Jensen is the most obnoxious main character I've encountered in recent years. He's essentially the technological Messiah and has been reborn into probably the single most powerful fighting human being on the planet yet all he can say is "I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS..." Utterly miserable!
  40. Jul 14, 2015
    The developers have done a quality game. But could do better. Game, in my opinion, not enough scale, is too short, especially when compared to the first Deus Ex. The game does not look like a remake. This is a prequel. Too much time has passed since the first Deus Ex, thirteen years. Many have forgotten the Deus Ex universe and cyberpunk. But certainly pleased reference to the first part:The developers have done a quality game. But could do better. Game, in my opinion, not enough scale, is too short, especially when compared to the first Deus Ex. The game does not look like a remake. This is a prequel. Too much time has passed since the first Deus Ex, thirteen years. Many have forgotten the Deus Ex universe and cyberpunk. But certainly pleased reference to the first part: the Illuminati, Bob Page, basketball ball... and even a yellow submarine. Nonlinear storyline is interesting. Another interesting game world itself, in which the fashion for cybernetic implants change human society. The graphics engine is old, but produces an acceptable picture, and still manages to slow down even at the top-end machines. All in all a good game. Expand
  41. Aug 30, 2015
    Bad and ugly game.
    Junk gamplay and hacking mini"games".
    Bad voices. Weak animations and characters cliché..cliché...clichéclichéclichéclichéclichéclichéclichéclichéclichéclichéclichéclichéclichéclichéclichécliché Hát ez valami ultraszar. Hozza a square enix formulat. Iszonyat gyatra szinkron (mintha papírról olvasná egy utcárol behívott akárki). Fos karakter animáció, műanyag
    Bad and ugly game.
    Junk gamplay and hacking mini"games".
    Bad voices.
    Weak animations and characters

Hát ez valami ultraszar.
    Hozza a square enix formulat.
    Iszonyat gyatra szinkron (mintha papírról olvasná egy utcárol behívott akárki).
    Fos karakter animáció, műanyag karakterek.
    Steril gagyi grafika.
    Szar pályatervezés.
    Minden le van betonozva.
    Retek rossz hacking mini "game".
    Béna fegyverek.
    Unalmas játémenet.
    Fos videók és unalomig ismételet z kategóriás mozi és játék klisé hegyek.
    Marketing game.
    Megvett újágírok lefizetése mert a sonynak akkor meg volt pénze.

Szar, unalmas, ronda, béna square enix-es fostartály...
  42. Sep 11, 2011
    Its obvious that the autors wanted to bring back the original Deus Ex experience .. and frankly they quite did. There are the same positive and negative sides to this game as they were to the original DE. However, the age is different then it was back in 2000 .. games standards are higher. By these standards, DE:HR fails in many ways .. graphic design is the most noticable failing. ItsIts obvious that the autors wanted to bring back the original Deus Ex experience .. and frankly they quite did. There are the same positive and negative sides to this game as they were to the original DE. However, the age is different then it was back in 2000 .. games standards are higher. By these standards, DE:HR fails in many ways .. graphic design is the most noticable failing. Its made by lazy and uncreative designers. Another downfalls appear in Gameplay elements. I can forgive no facial expressions during dialogues but not the hit-n-miss voic acting. The controls are not PC-friendly so it will take few hours to adapt. Stealth play feels allright .. until you mess something up and have to resort to funs-n-blazing approach. Direct action feels hammered and very boring. The AI is really dumb, nothing challenging at all even on the highest difficulty. Hacking pods everywhere, the mini-game gets repetetive and very easy. Its true that there are many ways you can take to achieve your quests, but without proper augmentation, its immposible to fully se that potencial of paths. Boss fights are simply horrid in every way. The single saving grace of this game is its plot, and the soundtrack is quite solid too. Expand
  43. Sep 25, 2011
    This is the single best game I've ever played and definitely GotY 2011. I only wish it was a bit longer, about 20 hours from start to the end, however this is the kind of game that can be played multiple times using different approaches. Obviously graphics are not even close to The Wither 2 level but frankly - I didn't mind. The cutscenes were excellent and so were the multiple endings.This is the single best game I've ever played and definitely GotY 2011. I only wish it was a bit longer, about 20 hours from start to the end, however this is the kind of game that can be played multiple times using different approaches. Obviously graphics are not even close to The Wither 2 level but frankly - I didn't mind. The cutscenes were excellent and so were the multiple endings. The variety of guns is huge - starting from simple pistols and smgs to mini-guns, lazers, plasma guns and rocket launchers. The enemies are smarter than in most games these days and the simplest "guns blazing" approach does not work very well on higher difficulty settings. The only one part I could actually complain about are the boss fights, seemingly too difficult and having no silent/stealth alternative. Expand
  44. Jul 27, 2012
    So, did you play the first Deus Ex? If so you'll probably enjoy this one. It takes many of the original elements of the first, and applies them successfully to the second game. We'll pretend that DX:IW never happened. If you're looking for straight out gun battles, this game probably isn't for you, if you like games where you need to think your way through some parts it will be.So, did you play the first Deus Ex? If so you'll probably enjoy this one. It takes many of the original elements of the first, and applies them successfully to the second game. We'll pretend that DX:IW never happened. If you're looking for straight out gun battles, this game probably isn't for you, if you like games where you need to think your way through some parts it will be. There are some rough spots, there are some problems even nearly a year later. But overall the 5th play through that I've done, it's a solid game worthy of being in the Deus Ex namesake. Expand
  45. Sep 3, 2011
    I'm really not sure why people are scoring this game so high. I've seen everything Human Revolution has to offer in other games--it's just a combination of all those offerings, except none of them are particularly all that well conceived. This would be perfectly acceptable if the story and characters were interesting...they're not. The main character was shipped right out of the "stockI'm really not sure why people are scoring this game so high. I've seen everything Human Revolution has to offer in other games--it's just a combination of all those offerings, except none of them are particularly all that well conceived. This would be perfectly acceptable if the story and characters were interesting...they're not. The main character was shipped right out of the "stock character factory", and the story...well...it was intriguing at first but then I completely lost track of why I should give a ****

Let it be known that I'm a big fan of the original Deus Ex, and even played through the lowly Invisible War twice. I'm a sucker for games that allow choice, but this game just didn't grab me. Between the dated overly-gold visuals, long and frequent load times, hit-or-miss voice acting, uninspired weapons and augmentations, zero NPC dynamics, tiny confined areas, and the predictable choices that mostly boil down to "Would you like to shoot your way through the front, or take a vent that's probably around the back behind a box that's highlighted for you?" I couldn't force myself through this game. Surely we've come far enough in 11 years to allow more side entrance options than vents? Human Revolution is certainly Deus Ex for the new generation--but as a veteran PC gamer I feel like it's been dumbed down and streamlined for the masses; sort of like Invisible War only much slower paced and generally more annoying.

Everything of importance is highlighted for you, so you can pretty much just go on autopilot through the environments. The hacking mini-game isn't difficult at all, and it made me wish I could just use a multitool instead and bypass the thing. Pretty much all of the weapons handle easily as soon as you get them, so there's not much incentive to put points into your combat augmentations. Passwords you obtain are slapped on the screen when you hack something, so you don't actually have to read or memorize anything. When you get shot, your health automatically regenerates instead of having to heal separate parts of your body and repair specific injuries that hinder your performance. Ragdoll physics go absolutely bonkers when using the crossbow. I could go on, and on.

Deus Ex was a revolution in gameplay when it was released back in 2000. 11 years later, we get a flashier game that doesn't really do anything new, and in fact goes back a few steps. Those who give this game a 10 really should replay the original Deus Ex and see just how much more atmospheric, expansive, fast-paced, and smarter it is. It's unfortunate that new graphics so often cloud our judgment, but I think that's exactly what's going on here.
  46. Jan 22, 2012
    A little overrated... I enjoyed it, especially how there were always many ways to get through somewhere, but the RPG elements are very weak. The story is alright, but it's a little cliched and predictable at times. At times the game got a bit dull, but it was worth persevering with. Overall an enjoyable experience, but certainly nothing special.
  47. Nov 11, 2011
    Game is decent, nothing more
    Graphics are a bit plain, animations in some cases are really bad, boss fights are silly, replayability is imo none, once i finished it i felt no urge to play it over again, which for a "gdr-like" game is bad
    This game is way worse (considering the ages that passed) than the original ones
  48. Nov 20, 2011
    Not as good as the original, but considering how good the original was, that's not saying much.

This game is just dripping with atmosphere, from the renaisence inspired art style to the sometimes chilling music. The characters are perfect and you really get a sense of tension, desperation and loss. The details are all there, form Adam's cracked mirror, the memorial to your murdered collegues and comments about detroits economic situation.

Now to gameplay. Fantastic fun, but unfortunately easy, even on the hardest setting. There are so many choices available for completing even the simplest of tasks you will never see them all, even after 10 play throughs. Some are absolutely inspired, some are just hidden air-vents.

Worth every penny, I finished the main game, then went straight to starting it again, this time without taking a life or being detected. The real seller is choosing how you play, and in that respect this game is perfect.

The story howver, does not change depending on your actions, and was the primary complaint I had about this game.
  49. Apr 9, 2015
    Absolutely amazing. Soundtrack is just 10/10, story is great and it's non linear! I highly recommend, one of my favourites, atmosphere is perfect, i can't wait for Mankind Divided.
  50. Feb 21, 2012
    That game has one of the best stories I've ever seen in my life. The characters are well builded, the art direction was also amazing with so much yellow in it. the sound..wow how gorgeous the were also the soundtrack is so perfectly syncronized with the game that I felt speechless of how video games are so well made nowadays. The gameplay is very intuitive with so many things to do, rpgThat game has one of the best stories I've ever seen in my life. The characters are well builded, the art direction was also amazing with so much yellow in it. the sound..wow how gorgeous the were also the soundtrack is so perfectly syncronized with the game that I felt speechless of how video games are so well made nowadays. The gameplay is very intuitive with so many things to do, rpg aspects that will want want you to play until you have all the possible augmentations of the game. Cut scenes well placed that doenst interrupt the gameplay experience, the power to be replayed many many times and great interface. those are some very good aspects of the game. to be honest I didnt find any great flaws making this, of my favourite games of this generation Expand
  51. Mar 4, 2012
    The game is fun and highly polished (and at the same time, simplified). It runs remarkably well on my dated PC, and loading times are very short. My main gripe with DX: HR is that it's so short; I tried to finish every single secondary mission I could find, but I still clocked only 20 hours of gameplay according to Steam.
  52. Apr 14, 2012
    This game is not only very well made but also has a very well thought out storyline along with a very smooth interface and good combat. It is a credit to the Deus Ex games that came before. Sure to be a classic, pick it up of you love first person combat and/or near future themed games. You will not be disappointed.
  53. Apr 24, 2012
    A great and truly inspiring comeback of one of the most underrated series in history. Well-rounded rpg game that captures some of the essence of first deus ex. Great graphics in terms of design, fantastic atmosphere, strong gameplay and well constructed and mature plot easily surpassing all quasi-rpg stories in skyrim, fallout3, oblivion, etc. That's how it should be done
  54. Sep 26, 2013
    I like it, but it's got some REALLY annoying stuff in it. Like the fact that when an enemy spots you he immediately alerts everyone else annoying yes, but it is a brilliant game.
  55. Aug 26, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game. It's not even my kind of game, but the music, setting, and game play are great. I've given out too many 10's for them to be worth much anymore, and my gaming preferences have matured since my first review, but this game is indeed one of my favorites, despite being a type of game I've never played before. Excellent.
  56. Nov 10, 2011
    A game for the ages. Once again, single player is the main focus of this story driven game. And it's great. The story is interesting, kept me hooked most of the way. The people aren't quite as interesting, but the sidequests are still fun. The gameplay is was amazing. It reminds me of Crysis in that you get to chose how you approach a problem, which is great. No character is the sameA game for the ages. Once again, single player is the main focus of this story driven game. And it's great. The story is interesting, kept me hooked most of the way. The people aren't quite as interesting, but the sidequests are still fun. The gameplay is was amazing. It reminds me of Crysis in that you get to chose how you approach a problem, which is great. No character is the same through the use of augmentations, and replayablity is possible. A very worthy successor to the original, no doubt about it. Expand
  57. Oct 29, 2014
    I'm a big fan of the Deus Ex games, the first one is a masterpiece, the second one was enjoyable, both had great atmosphere. But this one is missing something. It seems to have strayed away from that classic Deus Ex atmosphere. I stopped playing it half way through and continued with it months later.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, they are some very enjoyable areas and the game is very polished, excellent graphics, but I found some areas and missions to be a bit stale, the locations and layout and characters are not quite up to par with the previous games. The first few levels were the better ones.

But that is just my opinion, it's still a decent game never the less.
    If you are a fan of Deus Ex it's worth a look.

58. Mar 7, 2012
    Very good and engaging game. I am not into deep RPG titles and actually did not like the earlier two titles in this series. I played as mostly combat but did lots of hacking to get experience and money (kind of like Bioshock) and that was a very satisfying experience to me. The combat is well done and stealth is a great way to save ammo which is in limited supply early in the game but isVery good and engaging game. I am not into deep RPG titles and actually did not like the earlier two titles in this series. I played as mostly combat but did lots of hacking to get experience and money (kind of like Bioshock) and that was a very satisfying experience to me. The combat is well done and stealth is a great way to save ammo which is in limited supply early in the game but is plentiful later.

What I did not find amusing are somewhat dated graphics look, occasional freezes and in game map and inventory controls. Also, the way story was told was kind of boring. A lot of emphasis on reading instead of telling it in more indirect ways like Bioshock did (through background voices and videos). The dialogs are also too long for what they worth - they are not changing the game flow enough to justify time they take. The endings are also dissapointing. In fact, there was no reason to have multiple as they basically the same.

With all said, It is still one of the best few titles of 2011 and is a very engaging and fun game. If you liked Bioschock or Escape from Butcher Bay then it should be on your list.
  59. Jun 15, 2013
    I don't understand how this is so highly reviewed. It has little to no replay value and is boring to play. The only positive i can think of is cutscenes and its like SWTOR cutscenes but less impactive. I tried original on normal and had horrible time with the first boss and after that all the other bosses were easy as Predictable story and even the ending was predictable but maybe thatsI don't understand how this is so highly reviewed. It has little to no replay value and is boring to play. The only positive i can think of is cutscenes and its like SWTOR cutscenes but less impactive. I tried original on normal and had horrible time with the first boss and after that all the other bosses were easy as Predictable story and even the ending was predictable but maybe thats what they were going for. The thing i hate most of this game is the slow pace making it feel like a MMO. The skill system lacks any real fun skill to mess around with. The funnest skill by hacking and not for actually hacking the minigame for hacking is complete Its purely luck based hacking and is not challenging at all. The most challenges you will have is lvl 1-2 after that the challenges are simple as You can die from the slightest falls and unless you have the skill to make all falls do no damage but even after that your forced to watch a cutscene every single time you fall... So if your being attacked you watch yourself being shot while standing waiting for the cutscene to stop. The AI is terrible they will walk through walls and doors but not smart enough to look in vents and wth is with vents they are perfect size for you and only lead you where you need to go...? Every single boss is shoot and kill and only in the final boss do they change things up like press button then shoot and kill. The final cutscenes are just video taken from other videos mashed in together... Oh thats great you can't toss in maybe a ending where he atleast walks out of the place or what happened to the people which you just saved. Just unsatisfied completly.. Poor voice acting you always get pulled out of the enviroment or situation laughing at it. The map designs are terriiibbblle Cluttered and one direct. Side quests are pointless and don't change much. The iron sign aim is useless and off aim for most guns that use them. Why has this been reviewed so high? Has these people even played this? Oh and if you do play what way should you go? Hacking because it is the fastest for shortcuts and sneaking is slow as and usually detours you around the whole map oh and going in guns blazing can work until you run out of ammo which will happen trust me. When enemies can waste infinite amount of clips and then be killed and drop usually a single bullet or nothing at all. You must spend your time hacking to get ammunition and taking detours to stockup on ammo. Also something thats annoying its the future it sure doesn't feel like it doors don't even open automatically. Also the running is tapping it every 3 seconds so have fun with that. The funnest part i had in this game was picking up a hacked turret and using it to beat every single boss after playing it by far the easiest way to kill them. I had a pet turret sure made me slow but costs me no ammo and is faster than sneaking and shields you. Expand
  60. Sep 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. PC gamers must get used to this fact: many of the big studio releases for their (and my) favoured medium are being principally developed on consoles, with console gamers in mind. Most of the attacks on this game acknowledge that fact, but resent it. There is a perception that a PC game should mean complexity and depth, whereas a console game should be accessible and shallow. Whatever the truth of these perceptions, Deus Ex: Human Revolutions is a game which has been developed for a console which stands up happily on the PC and is one of the more enjoyable PC games of this year. It is billed as an RPG-shooter. The RPG elements are located as sensibly as any leveling up system can possibly be inside the story. Jensen, following his operation, has all his augmentations intact, but he's brought out of recovery early. His body and nervous system aren't used to their newfound, mechanically-enhanced talents. Therefore, he needs Praxis software - earned through the accumulation of experience, i.e. use of his new body, to unlock the higher level abilities. Well, it's a stretch, but it's a brave attempt by the game's writers to impose a story on the notion of levelling up, something which RPG enthusiasts have taken for granted since the first tentative forays of pen-and-paper, kitchen table games onto the home computer in the eighties. Personally, I approve. Speaking of the difference between pen-and-paper, kitchen table RPGs and their electronic successors, DE:HR offers the player a decent amount of choice for the type of game it is. A pen-and-paper session over pizzas and beer is limited only by the rules of the game and the tolerance of one's fellow gamers. Not so on a computer game. All choices must be limited by necessity. The story of DE:HR implies that the action happens within the space of a few days; by necessity, it is tightly plotted. But within that, there are multiple ways to execute each mission. There are different physical routes to each objective. There are a good range of weapons to support a given player style and a sensible, intuitive inventory system. There are approaches ranging from a Terminator-style shoot-out in a Detroit nick, through persuading your way in, to sneaking in undetected. Yes, of course real people don't really patrol like DE:HR's guards do, but we are somewhat limited by the technology available to us in 2012 and no game has yet achieved a perfect patrolman. DE:HR's guards move naturally enough to keep up the illusion of reality, and even chat to each other on occasion.

it No 21st-century shooter would be complete without a cover mechanic, but it works nicely within the confines of the game. The game awards points for merciful take-downs over straightforward kills; and awards end-of-level points for remaining undetected, in order to encourage different styles of play. On the topic of rewarding, the dialogue system invites comparisons with Bioware's and tops it without question. The dialogue options accurately foreshadow both the temperament and content of Jensen's potential answers, unlike Bioware's wretched wheel. Rather than a straight choice between flippant, aggressive and passive, one must watch the tone and personality of the NPC to get the best out of the conversation. With the right augmentation, one can release pheromones to increase diaglogue options. It's just a shame that more conversations don't follow this path: a goodly number are, in essence, cuscenes, which is somewhat frustrating, given the potential shown in the interactive dialogues.

Of course, it's not all roses. Entertaining as the manual takedown animations are, they don't always gel with the preceding action and the dissonance can grate. There are four mandatory boss-fights in the game, which are an unwelcome encumbrance (and a nod to DE:HR's console roots!) and force even the sneakiest of players to play, temporarily, in an aggressive style (vive le Typhoon). Also unwieldy, in a narrative sense, are the sidequests: enjoyable as they are, they do feel forcibly levered into the time-conscious plot. Finally, the corporate-espionage-with-a-moral-dimension plot all takes a turn for the Dan Brown towards the end, invoking ancient conspiracies and giant machines we've all seen a hundred times in other games, books and films, which is something of a let down. The ending montages, particularly, are annoyingly bland and a good deal of loose ends are not tied up (DLC, anyone?)

But on the whole, DE:HR is a good game. The plot is on a par with any B-movie or airport thriller novel; the action's decent; there is enough freedom of choice to keep most RPG fans satisfied (if one recognises that this is not trying to be D&D on your PC); the dialogue system is a real hit; and the game has a sense of humour (Robocop fans will encounter a policeman named Murphy without a sense of dramatic irony; Megadeth fans a certain hangar...). Give it a go.
  61. Aug 23, 2011
    A true sequel to a great game. My only objections would be that the games graphics seem to be hinder by this game being on consoles but it is by no means a bad port. The developers did a good job of reworking the UI and even allow you to change FOV in the menu something that most FPS ports that claim to cater to PC gamers neglect more often than not. If you enjoy games like the originalA true sequel to a great game. My only objections would be that the games graphics seem to be hinder by this game being on consoles but it is by no means a bad port. The developers did a good job of reworking the UI and even allow you to change FOV in the menu something that most FPS ports that claim to cater to PC gamers neglect more often than not. If you enjoy games like the original Deus or Vampire: Bloodlines then this is a most own game. Expand
  62. TIZ
    May 18, 2012
    Pretty good game, a few small disappointments here and there otherwise it was still overall a fun game. Graphics not too amazing really (DX11 wasn't used to the full of its capacity), gameplay was good, story was good (maybe a bit too dramatic at end, but still satisfying)
  63. Aug 29, 2011
    Don't believe the hype. This is nothing more than a decent action game that feels like it should have been released in 2007. The promises of "play any way you want" means a choice between stealth or assault, on maps with alternate paths. Nothing you have not seen before. The writing and voice acting are terrible, especially when compared to games like Mass Effect 2 or LA Noire, and theDon't believe the hype. This is nothing more than a decent action game that feels like it should have been released in 2007. The promises of "play any way you want" means a choice between stealth or assault, on maps with alternate paths. Nothing you have not seen before. The writing and voice acting are terrible, especially when compared to games like Mass Effect 2 or LA Noire, and the mannequin like animations reminded me of GTA IV. The worst part about this game is it's shamefully poor renditions of real world cities none of the staff have obviously ever visited. The game starts off in Detroit 16 years in the future with buildings that are miles apart in real life, renamed and placed next to each other on roads that either don't exist, or are not supposed to intersect. This is not an open world game either, the maps are very restrictive, and if you fail a mission, instead of restarting, you continue on with all the other characters telling you how disappointed they are with your performance. They marketed that as a feature. What really threw me off were the high reviews from sources I usually trust. When a game is this well received, it usually does either something truly innovative, or raises the bar on an enjoyed gameplay mechanic. This game is nothing more than a collection of elements from other genres of games that do what this is trying to do better. Expand
  64. Sep 17, 2011
    Deus Ex doesn't live up to its predecessor, but it's still a decent game. PC controls aren't too bad and they're more customizable than the average PC port. Works fine in DX11, and post patches hasn't crashed for me at all. Despite all the blatantly obvious choices made to consoleize this game, it still remains above average for a PC game. Day 1 DLC was a stupid choice, and only 2 uniqueDeus Ex doesn't live up to its predecessor, but it's still a decent game. PC controls aren't too bad and they're more customizable than the average PC port. Works fine in DX11, and post patches hasn't crashed for me at all. Despite all the blatantly obvious choices made to consoleize this game, it still remains above average for a PC game. Day 1 DLC was a stupid choice, and only 2 unique hubs made this game feel rather small. The story isn't terribly long for an RPG (25 hours on hardest difficulty first time), there aren't a ton of side quests, and the game was way too easy. All this aside, I enjoyed the experience and hope that if the series continues the developers return to their older roots. Expand
  65. Jan 13, 2013
    Everything has already been said about this gem among RPGs. Spectacular world, one of the best music in game industry, superb voice-acting. So why not 10/10? The game was unbelievably easy. I died like 5 times on the hardest difficulty. For this I blame poor AI. Enemies line of sight is extremely limited, they are easily lured into kill spot. Credits are useless. During the whole game IEverything has already been said about this gem among RPGs. Spectacular world, one of the best music in game industry, superb voice-acting. So why not 10/10? The game was unbelievably easy. I died like 5 times on the hardest difficulty. For this I blame poor AI. Enemies line of sight is extremely limited, they are easily lured into kill spot. Credits are useless. During the whole game I bought only few mods for weapons and kits. Hacking is too easy if you have put points into it. Game doesn't reward you for looking for passwords/keys; hacking is always way to go if you want to max out reward. Choices you make have almost no consequences. It doesn't whether you kill everyone or not (except for the Pacifist achievement). And yet I still rate this game 9/10. The story and everything around human r/evolution went really deep, asked interesting questions and provided all different opinions though individual characters. Expand
  66. Nov 11, 2011
    First off, i didn't want this game. I bought it for Onlive cloud gaming service just to get the free console hardware. Well, when it was released i was mesmerized. it is such a great game!!!!!!! Play metal gear solid stealth style, hacking computers, sneaking up on baddies and sneaking past them. Or, you can go in guns ablazing and punch through walls or whatever. there is a very complexFirst off, i didn't want this game. I bought it for Onlive cloud gaming service just to get the free console hardware. Well, when it was released i was mesmerized. it is such a great game!!!!!!! Play metal gear solid stealth style, hacking computers, sneaking up on baddies and sneaking past them. Or, you can go in guns ablazing and punch through walls or whatever. there is a very complex skill tree that you build up depending on what style you want to play, and there are many interesting sidequests that should keep you busy. Get this game if you like engrossing 40+ hour action rpgs. Expand
  67. Mar 24, 2012
    In the first part of the Deus Ex played quite late, in 2004. But from the very beginning I knew that this game is a genius. Extraordinary and captivating story was the biggest advantage of the game. In my opinion Deus Ex: Human Revolution perfectly captures the spirit of the original and moved it in 2011. Absolutely you have to play! For me the game of the year 2011.
  68. Oct 5, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game, must play, it's not perfect but the story itself, voice acting are epic.

And it could be much, much more, theres so much rom for improvment, I can't wait for DeusEX: Universe
  69. Aug 2, 2014
    After watching the original Human Revolution E3 trailer at least 40 times, in some ways the game fell short of the imaginations that trailer invoked. But falling short still left an extremely polished game. For all its options, the gameplay usually feels linear and controlled, though for a story-driven game that is understandable. The story is spectacular, though it sets such a highAfter watching the original Human Revolution E3 trailer at least 40 times, in some ways the game fell short of the imaginations that trailer invoked. But falling short still left an extremely polished game. For all its options, the gameplay usually feels linear and controlled, though for a story-driven game that is understandable. The story is spectacular, though it sets such a high bar for itself that when it occasionally dips to normal quality it feels a little disappointing. The boss fights felt a little contrived and forced into the storyline. Human Revolution has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. The music, story, and visuals form one of the most unforgettable.ambiances I've experienced in a game. Some people are criticizing the stealth, role playing, and action elements. Yet the cited "superior" examples are usually games that focus on just one of those three elements and contain less story. The success of Human Revolution is in seamlessly merging all of those elements together. Expand
  70. Sep 11, 2013
    DH: HR is a game with a wide and deep world, full of details to discover and learn, wrapped in a storyline that keeps hooked for hours and hours of great gameplay. The characters are always credible, with state of the art dialogues. The graphic is not perfect, but the design and the style are gorgeous. Human Revolution is a masterpiece that every gamer should own.
  71. Nov 25, 2016
    This game is a masterpiece. This is one of the best games ever made imo and if you havn't played it, buy it now. This is one of the few games i would say deserves a 10/10
  72. Jan 9, 2012
    The game is quite good. On first impression it seems like a remake of the first Deus Ex with better graphics (which is good news, I guess), even the plot turns are similar. Morst importantly, the gameplay is definitely there - thouroughly enjoyable. Closer to the end, however, I felt somewhat disappointed. The story became a bit too contrived and unconvincing, and the ending seemed a bitThe game is quite good. On first impression it seems like a remake of the first Deus Ex with better graphics (which is good news, I guess), even the plot turns are similar. Morst importantly, the gameplay is definitely there - thouroughly enjoyable. Closer to the end, however, I felt somewhat disappointed. The story became a bit too contrived and unconvincing, and the ending seemed a bit stupid. With better story and another 8-10 hours of gameplay (it took me 35hr) it could be a perfect game, like its predecessor. Still, I think it's worth the money. Expand
  73. Jul 16, 2012
    Picked this up on the cheap for $10 at target and I'm just not feeling it. I'm not a fan of the sierra 3d engine, the controls are stiff and lack any type of fluidity found in most fps games. Additionally the acting is pretty terrible in this game. I know most people are fan's of the first game but for me, as a newcomer to the series this just didn't pull me in. I doubt I'll finish it.
  74. Oct 30, 2012
    An almost perfect game, and by any means the best stealth shooter on the PC since Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (if you decide to play it that way). So, where's the hook? Let's start with what's great. The writing, the voice acting, the visual style, the level design, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the difficulty. They all are. For all those reasons it's one of those games you install andAn almost perfect game, and by any means the best stealth shooter on the PC since Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (if you decide to play it that way). So, where's the hook? Let's start with what's great. The writing, the voice acting, the visual style, the level design, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the difficulty. They all are. For all those reasons it's one of those games you install and play and finish, and then you suddenly realize that it's sunday night and you've played through the entire weekend. It grips you. Now for the downsides. The stealth mechanics could be a little more refined than they are, and the few boss fights are horribly unbalanced towards some character builds. But that's all. I wish I could play it again for the first time. Expand
  75. Sep 4, 2011
    I LOVE this game and the choice it gives you in completing missions. I often find myself stopping to really think of how best to tackle any given situation. The game does such a good job of combining strategy/RPG elements with 1st person shooting. The voice acting is a bit hit or miss, but overall decent. Graphics are solid with a dark, Blade Runner-type feel although I would have liked toI LOVE this game and the choice it gives you in completing missions. I often find myself stopping to really think of how best to tackle any given situation. The game does such a good job of combining strategy/RPG elements with 1st person shooting. The voice acting is a bit hit or miss, but overall decent. Graphics are solid with a dark, Blade Runner-type feel although I would have liked to have seen a little more varied color palette. It's like somebody couldn't put down their yellow crayons. The score is fantastic! My only complaints with the game are mostly nitpicks. The framerate stutters once in awhile and the control scheme takes some getting used to if you have played a lot of triple-A shooters like Halo, Battlefield, and Call of Duty. My only real complaint is the map/waypoint system. It's downright hard to navigate and comprehend, and to date I have not found a way to even set a waypoint. I feel like this game would have really benefited from a guide like you have in the superb Dead Space games. These gripes aside, overall Deus Ex is an outstanding gaming experience with an extremely well written story loaded with conspiracies and multiple plot twists and turns. It's a blast getting to play with all the different types of weapons, gadgets, and augmentations at your disposal. This is hands down my sleeper hit of the summer and will easily keep my occupied until late September when the first of the fall/holiday blockbusters start rolling in. If you have the cash, this game is WELL worth it. It's easily a 50 hour or more experience if you do the side missions and really explore the environment. If you are the type who likes to see all the endings this game can have, then you more than get your money's worth! HIGHLY RECOMMEND! Expand
  76. Aug 30, 2011
    Excellent game! This is everything and more I could have hoped for. I'm about half way through and taking my time, lookiing in every corner. I'm playiing stealth and have not killed a single person (except the boss which you must). It's challenging and fun and makes you think through everything strategically which is what a great game should do -- you shouldn't be able to pick up anExcellent game! This is everything and more I could have hoped for. I'm about half way through and taking my time, lookiing in every corner. I'm playiing stealth and have not killed a single person (except the boss which you must). It's challenging and fun and makes you think through everything strategically which is what a great game should do -- you shouldn't be able to pick up an 'awesome' overpowered weapon and then hit the 'awesome key' to kill everything in sight. Thank you sooooo much Eidos for keeping the same feel and intensity as the original -- you have outdone yourself. To all the complainers (all 35 of you at the time of this review), perhaps you should upgrade your computers or lower your graphic settings, etc., as I've not had any problems with running this game with DX11. Expand
  77. Aug 23, 2011
    Truly deserving of the name Dues Ex. In this time of linear, scripted and increasingly easy shooting games this game dares to challenge the player to actually think and give true choice of how to play. It still has its flaws like the original, but they're greatly overshadowed and even made invisible by the strengths this juggernaut wears on its sleeves. I applaud Eidos Montreal for givingTruly deserving of the name Dues Ex. In this time of linear, scripted and increasingly easy shooting games this game dares to challenge the player to actually think and give true choice of how to play. It still has its flaws like the original, but they're greatly overshadowed and even made invisible by the strengths this juggernaut wears on its sleeves. I applaud Eidos Montreal for giving us the Dues Ex game everyone deserved. Expand
  78. Nov 8, 2011
    Game of the year for me. Easily.

I was hesitant at first, as I was a big fan of the original, having played it countless times. Would they mess up the core gameplay? Would third person be a welcome experience or not? Would the implementation of cover be helpful or harmful? All of my doubts were put to rest after I played it. Human Revolution is a fantastic game, and nearly as brilliant
    Game of the year for me. Easily.

All of my doubts were put to rest after I played it. Human Revolution is a fantastic game, and nearly as brilliant as the legendary original. The numerous paths to completing an objective are still there, the choice between lethal and non-lethal or stealth and guns blazing is still there. The hubs feel fantastic, the atmosphere is gripping and the artstyle is visually appealing. The upgrade system allows for many different playstyles and perhaps even warrants a replay or two. Instead of going on and on about how great the game is, I am going to highlight what I thought was wrong with it. For one, the music isn't as great as the original. Sure, there are some pieces that are fantastic, but these only play during cutscenes. The ambient music, the battle music and everything else just feels generic. After expecting something fantastic, akin to the amazing OST of the original, I was somewhat disappointed. Sure it's better than a lot of other game OSTs but I felt let down.

Then my major gripe: The boss fights. They are unavoidable, and cater only to people who have specced into combat augs, people who have been carrying around numerous guns, grenades and ammo types. As I was playing a non-lethal stealth playthrough I only had my tranquiliser rifle and my stun gun to defeat the bosses. It was tedious and resulted in many deaths.

Amazing game despite the flaws, easily GOTY, pick up a copy if you liked the original, like anything cyberpunk (especially Bladerunner), like stealth games or like good games.
  79. Sep 4, 2011
    I originally had a few mixed feelings when I first started this game up, it look me a few minutes to get into the game style, obviously you can go guns raving/stealth or other ways, but mostly the stealthy approach is what this game wants you to follow.

Its almost a mass effect way of dialogue with other people but that is a good thing. Good graphics (PC Version Obviously). Unfortunately I cannot compare to the originals as I have them but have yet to play them. But I remain unchanged in thought that is is a superb game, a few issues but all games tend to be released with a few these days so no negative points off for them. Very good game and extremely enjoyable
  80. Nov 15, 2011
    While the game is not perfect, it is definitely good and is worth your time.
    The atmosphere is great. The story is good. RPG system is well designed and well integrated into the missions. There very different ways for beating the same mission depending on your character build. You can even beat the game almost without killing anyone. There is a healthy number of optional site-quests.
    All
    While the game is not perfect, it is definitely good and is worth your time.

All in all it was time well spent.

I gave the game 8/10 because graphics look a bit dated for 2011. So are character animations and movements of your character.
  81. Sep 5, 2011
    -Updated reaction review.
    A great game gets 5 when you FORCE RETARDED BOSS FIGHTS and try stupidly to excuse such decision by narrative! Incredibly STUPID and SHORTSIGHTED!
  82. Sep 20, 2011
    A solid 8 for me. Stealth is nice, it runs great and the story and setting is very interesting.
    However, the character animation is clunky and the boss battles hugely annoying. Also, it's pretty short, imho.
  83. Aug 29, 2011
    This game is, in a word, magnificent. Not perfect of course (I find the cover mechanics a bit clunky, why the hell can't I stash stuff in my apartment rather than carry it all around and I wish I had a constant third person option)...

... but the story is intelligent and well realised, dialogue options are generally very sensible, the voice acting is good and you can practically smell the street side food in China.

It is true to the original in oh so many ways and is thus a very worth prequel. HIGHLY recommended.
  84. Sep 24, 2011
    Excellent. It defiantly surpassed my expectations, when I first pre-ordered it I didn't expect that this was going to become one of my top favorite games. I only had a couple problems with it, I think it would've been great if they gave you more of an option to focus on melee combat, I would like to use my extreme cyborg powers strength and reflexes to take people down face to face, andExcellent. It defiantly surpassed my expectations, when I first pre-ordered it I didn't expect that this was going to become one of my top favorite games. I only had a couple problems with it, I think it would've been great if they gave you more of an option to focus on melee combat, I would like to use my extreme cyborg powers strength and reflexes to take people down face to face, and although the cut scene/battery system they have is great, there really isn't much of a way to make a character that is completely centered around melee rather than guns. I found that rather disappointing, but other than that, great game, pretty decent character progression with the augments. It's on my top favorites. Expand
  85. Oct 17, 2012
    A superb experience. Fantastic Protagonist,intriguing support cast,great story,lovely stealth mechanics. The only thing off for me was 3 of the boss battles..but a fulfilling game
  86. Dec 21, 2016

Controls 5
    Intuitiveness 5

..........................................
  87. Dec 15, 2012
    I feel there isn't really much I can say about this game that hasn't already been said at one time or another.
    This game was fun, exciting, beautifully done, well written, and most of all, bad ***. There wasn't a point in this game that I got bored with, its environments, people, story, and game-play all keep you hooked into playing more until you uncover everything it has to offer. It has nice challenge, giving you the option to go all out blasting or being a stealthy bat-man type of character. This is an amazing and worthy prequel to the original Deus Ex, and any fans of the series, or even anyone just getting started should pick up this game if they haven't played it.
    All in all this game was great, aside from a few minor glitches here or there or a bit of cheesy but memorable voice acting, this game doesn't really have anything inherently bad about it.
  88. Sep 15, 2011
    The atmosphere is incredible, as are the locales, but there are just too many issues with the game to give it praise. The character animations (and the occasional voice-over) are very poor, which account for a quite a lot of the interactions in the game. When they take you out of the immersion, it effects everything else.

It almost feels as though the game was made for stealth, and

It almost feels as though the game was made for stealth, and stealth only. Firefights are extremely clunky, and once you engage in one, you might as well cross your fingers and hope you saved recently.

I also felt the progression was very linear, for what initially appears to be a sandbox style game. At the 20 hour mark, I simply gave up and sold the game. Being a new parent, my nights are limited to only a couple of hours to myself, so after eating up 2 solid weeks of personal time, I can safely say I got my money's worth. I recommend this to anyone who is a HUGE fan of stealth based games, but if you're looking for action, steer clear.
  89. Aug 23, 2011
    I'm a relatively young gamer, who didn't play or even know about Deus Ex until 3 years ago. However after playing the first game, I was doubtful that a new installment in the franchise could really be as good as the original, especially after the mediocrity of Invisible War. Nevertheless, I preordered the game and eagerly awaited its release today. A few hours into the game and I wasI'm a relatively young gamer, who didn't play or even know about Deus Ex until 3 years ago. However after playing the first game, I was doubtful that a new installment in the franchise could really be as good as the original, especially after the mediocrity of Invisible War. Nevertheless, I preordered the game and eagerly awaited its release today. A few hours into the game and I was completely blown away by what the developers had created. With countless number of ways to play the game and customize my augmentations, i really managed to feel like my playthrough was personal. Side Quests, usually the bane of RPG gamers, are deeply immersive and add to and flesh out the life of the intriguing story. The art design is ridiculously good, mirroring and alluding to the renaissance while the color palette really brings emotion and life to the dark game. My only woes about HR is the voice acting and animations. While some cutscenes and dialogue scenes are well animated, a few are a bit stiff and not lifelike. However for a game that does so many things right, these are only minor complaints. Human Revolution is still a great game and i'm sure i'll lose my social life to it for at least a month Expand
  90. Sep 6, 2011
    First game I have played in years that I can't put down. It's Deus Ex 1 all over again. All the dissenters on here can stick to playing CoD or some other arcade shooter as they seem to just not get this game. It's everything good about Deus Ex made better, including combat, stealth, and most importantly your choices really do feel like they make an impact on the story. My onlyFirst game I have played in years that I can't put down. It's Deus Ex 1 all over again. All the dissenters on here can stick to playing CoD or some other arcade shooter as they seem to just not get this game. It's everything good about Deus Ex made better, including combat, stealth, and most importantly your choices really do feel like they make an impact on the story. My only complaints:
    1. Environments are way too static. It's 2011 and desk items aren't getting thrown around in a firefight? If I shoot a stack of paper it gets a bullet hole? The coffee cup is still on the table after a grenade went off? The environments the designers made are very well done, and highly explorable, but seriously, there should be more interaction. Cracks on the walls that you can blow up? Really? Is this Zelda or something?

2. No battery recharge robots...I like how your augs don't last very long in this one, as well as the fact that its hard to take down more than 1 or 2 guys with the instant kill function. However a few more recharge stations here or there would make it more fun.

3. Realistic mode is a bit unbalanced. I always played Deus Ex on Realistic. I liked how you and the enemies had the same health. This is not the case in HR; it still takes 5,7 sometimes 10 body shots to kill a guy. Granted a headshot is an instant kill, If I plug a guy in the chest, that should take him down too. I'm sure this could be fixed in a mod.

Everything else in the game is perfect!
  91. Aug 28, 2011
    It is a fantastic, atmospheric game! Kind of oldskool in its quality (means: quality). You can find flaws here and there if you are looking for them, but if you open yourself to its values, then it can become a really-really immerse experience! Recommended for all cyberpunk fans!! ...and if you have time, don't just rush through this game - give it time, explore, be creative in the way youIt is a fantastic, atmospheric game! Kind of oldskool in its quality (means: quality). You can find flaws here and there if you are looking for them, but if you open yourself to its values, then it can become a really-really immerse experience! Recommended for all cyberpunk fans!! ...and if you have time, don't just rush through this game - give it time, explore, be creative in the way you solve quests, etc, and it may be very rewarding:) Expand
  92. Sep 5, 2011
    As a fan of Deus Ex:Invisible War, I had high expectations for this title. Overall, I am very pleased with the finished product, and definitely recommend this title to anyone who likes first person shooters or RPGs. Deus Ex.: Human Revolution is an action role playing game with a mixture of first and third person combat, as well as social game play and problem solving. You play AdamAs a fan of Deus Ex:Invisible War, I had high expectations for this title. Overall, I am very pleased with the finished product, and definitely recommend this title to anyone who likes first person shooters or RPGs. Deus Ex.: Human Revolution is an action role playing game with a mixture of first and third person combat, as well as social game play and problem solving. You play Adam Jensen, a security specialist who is thrust into a war between rival corporations who develop mechanical body augmentations. This is a game with multiple endings, and multiple paths for every objective. I really enjoy games that give moral decisions to players, with differing outcomes. Music: The soundtrack for this game was very dark and visceral, and well put together. It reminded me of the score from TRON: Legacy, which is a good thing. Voice Work: The voice acting was nicely done. I'm not sure that Jensen's voice needed to be like he was whispering most of the time, but I was able to look past it. I am glad that they actually had many of the Chinese characters speak mandarin, and showed English subtitles when they spoke. It is attention to these details that make a quality product. Between that and the beautiful level design, especially Hengsha, I felt very immersed. which brings me to Graphics: This is a game that is easy on the eyes and on the video card. Think Blade Runner dipped in gold. The clothing that the characters wore was very stylized to be a mixture of futuristic and renaissance. I think the developers pulled it off perfectly. Adam's apartment is gorgeous, while watching his blinds open and reveal the city of Detroit below. The technology featured in the game was also very impressive, and came off as believable, especially when you read all of the in-game e-Books that you find, where they describe how the augmentations work. The weaponry came in light, medium, and heavy, for all different styles of shooters, as well as lethal and non-lethal. The hacking mini-game was fun at first, but later started to become a chore, especially after all the hacking upgrades, you knew you were going to win every time. Overall, a wonderful edition to the Deus Ex Universe, and a triumphant game. Congratulations Eidos Montreal. You nailed it! Expand
  93. Sep 13, 2011
    The graphics are definitely not top of the range, the K.I. isn't super clever and most of the game inventions are stolen from other games. From my point of view: Totally overrated and another fast food game.
  94. Sep 13, 2011
    The RPG I have been waiting for.Graphics are smooth,storyline is well planned and gripping,the music really fit the game's setting,voice acting is great,dialogues and the detail level in this game is just amazing.

The only bad side of the game is the bosses.They shouldn't have added them,or should have let us run away from the fight just like the original Deus Ex.The game just throws you at a "Bull" after you passed countless levels without killing or being detected by anyone and not firing a single lethal bullet.I didn't even unlock the typhoon augmentation,I didn't kill anyone,stealth is the way to play this.

Also,the dialogue with unimportant NPCs can get really hilarious because they didn't work on the behavior of those unimportant NPCs.For example:I bursted into laughter when an old guy(I won't say who he is since that'd be a spoiler I guess) came near me,holding his hands together like a little girl and with the facial expression of ":3",saying "Adam?" with a surprised tone.That was just pure hilarious.

Anyways,the game is great,I didn't like the "movie endings" thing either,they could have at least added an epilogue for each ending,but I guess they want to leave "What actually happened?" question to our imagination.I'm alright with that.Overall,great game.Deserves a 9.5
  95. Oct 16, 2011
    Just finished the game, enjoyed the majority of it. The ending was a bit lame and the unskippable cut scene's in certain spots are some of my complaints. Also could have more action scene's, since it was a tad easy. Never had any challenging battles, even the one at the end even thou I had no idea what was going on I finished it on the first try. And no, I didn't play it on easy. ButJust finished the game, enjoyed the majority of it. The ending was a bit lame and the unskippable cut scene's in certain spots are some of my complaints. Also could have more action scene's, since it was a tad easy. Never had any challenging battles, even the one at the end even thou I had no idea what was going on I finished it on the first try. And no, I didn't play it on easy. But everything else is top notch and best FPS I've played all year. Expand
  96. Mar 5, 2013
    One of the better shooters of the last decade. High production value, good graphics, good combat system, great story. It has pretty much everything you want from a story driven shooter. Not quite as epic as the Mass Effect trilogy, but still a good buy if you're interested in these types of games.
  97. Jun 7, 2013
    This is probably one of the better games for 2011 if not the best. It have got it all, action, a deep story and characters that you may either love or hate and for that it's indeed worthy an eight.
  98. Dec 19, 2012
    While this game is definitely better than Invisible War, I can't help feeling dissappointed. There were so much stupid game mechanics. For example, I would have rather got melee weapons than pre-captured takedown animations which get old after seeing them once, not to mention that you lose energy while performing them. How can military-grade cyber augmentations run out of energy whenWhile this game is definitely better than Invisible War, I can't help feeling dissappointed. There were so much stupid game mechanics. For example, I would have rather got melee weapons than pre-captured takedown animations which get old after seeing them once, not to mention that you lose energy while performing them. How can military-grade cyber augmentations run out of energy when knocking down a single guard? Another thing I absolutely hated were the boss battles. Why the hell did they have to include boss battles with no alternate methods of progression on a game based on freedom? The storyline was good, but no match to original Deus Ex. That pretty much sums the whole game: It's good, but sub-par compared to DX1. Expand
  99. Jul 30, 2013
    Probably the best PC game of all time! (Yes everybody it is better than Half Life). The game is a prequel to the original Deus Ex games and starts when 'augmentations' are practically coming into use. As always with stuff like this 'environmentalists' try to spoil it because it is 'unnatural' and all that malarkey. You are 'Jensen', an ex SWAT police officer protecting the company from anyProbably the best PC game of all time! (Yes everybody it is better than Half Life). The game is a prequel to the original Deus Ex games and starts when 'augmentations' are practically coming into use. As always with stuff like this 'environmentalists' try to spoil it because it is 'unnatural' and all that malarkey. You are 'Jensen', an ex SWAT police officer protecting the company from any threat (yes I know it sounds very dull but it really, really isn't). Also, criminals are using the augmentations for the 'evil' intent. I will not go any further into the story as I don't want to spoil it but I will say from the start, middle, to end it does not loose any excitement. You can also find out even more 'background' information on the story through optional side quest (which are just as good as the main missions plus, there are a hell of allot of them), emails, and 'electronic journals' which piece together some parts of the story that you were maybe confused about (god knows why you would be, the story is really well written). These are a really nice feature to the game. Unlike most AAA games nowadays with their 10 hour campaigns Deus Ex has a MASSIVE 72 HOUR CAMPAIGN (unless you are a speed runner.

Now, to the most important part of any game in my opinion. The gameplay. The shooting mechanics in this game remind me of Counter Strike in some ways in the sense that aiming down the iron sights is pretty much useless so in the end of the day it comes down to how skilled you are. The cover system is strange, yet the best I have ever seen in a game by never getting you stuck anywhere or just generally being a pain in the arse.

When a developers ad a 'mini game' to any game alarm bells start ringing in my head because usually they are a pile of toss. But the hacking to get into certain doors is actually rather compelling. It has just the right amount of difficulty not to be annoying. But dont worry. As pretty much everything else in this game, it is optional as you can find codes for the doors somewhere. But I do recommend hacking as it is usually quicker and more rewarding.

I wont talk about the inventory and upgrade systems as they are very similar to any other well designed PC game.

When it comes to games I don't think looks matter all too much, but I still dont mind if a game does it right. Many people have complained that the games is very orange, which it is, but I think it captures the essence of the era and what the game is supposed to be. One thing though, I think there is too many boxes lying around the place.
  100. Jul 7, 2013
    A simplified review for novice gamers
    Graphics:
    Every inch of the game has been carried out perfectly in the sewer, the city or in the buildings of the game Sound: The sound of the game is great, the voice acting as well and every time you shoot a bullet it just feels natural Game play: This is what Deus ex is about GAME PLAY you can engage fire fights, hack, or sneak your through
    A simplified review for novice gamers
    Graphics:
    Sound:
    Game play:
    This is what Deus ex is about GAME PLAY you can engage fire fights, hack, or sneak your through the game with many side quests and upgrades to make
    Story:
    The plot is great and very satisfying with various ways to finish your objective for example if someone knows a password for a door and he died its not game over

Overall Deus ex is and awesome game which i find very fun to play and recommend for you

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 30, 2011
    There are only a few games this year we suggest to 16-yrs old gamers and their fathers together. Human Revolution for sure is a Game of the Year nominee. [Oct 2011]
    So despite the odds being stacked against it, Eidos Montreal accomplished the impossible and brought us a Deus Ex in the true sense of the word, probably the best one that we could have hoped for considering the current "requirements" for being commercially successful nowadays.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 10, 2011
    A worthy successor to one of the greatest games ever. It offers a lot of choice on many levels and feels like an RPG from years past - in a very good way. One of the best, if not the best game of 2011. [Oct 2011]